PDA

View Full Version : Marcus Adams - 3 year deal!!!

Mofra
29-05-2017, 05:01 PM
Reported in the Hun - hell yes!!!

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/western-bulldogs/marcus-adams-signs-threeyear-deal-with-western-bulldogs/news-story/12b937652c3e82e144bae0d5d0a2c98d

(Paywalled - title is Marcus Adams signs three-year deal with Western Bulldogs for those who will Google it)

bornadog
29-05-2017, 05:03 PM
Marcus Adams signs three-year deal with Western Bulldogs

WESTERN Bulldogs’ full back Marcus Adams will lead the club’s defence for the next three seasons after finalising a new contract.

The Herald Sun can reveal the 23-year-old has recommitted until the end of 2020 despite briefly considering a move back home to Western Australia late last year.

The strong-bodied defender was a revelation in his first AFL season and quickly emerged as one of the league’s premier stoppers last season.

But a serious foot injury derailed Adams in the second half of the season and sidelined the key pillar for the Dogs’ stunning premiership run.

The 192cm backman has regained full fitness this year and has helped marshal one of the league’s best defensive setups, which has given up more than 100 points only once this season (against Geelong).

Adams has also been swung forward at times, averaging 16 possessions, six marks and one scoring shot over nine games this season.
The interceptor’s signature was a priority for list guru Jason McCartney in the wake of Joel Hamling’s departure to Fremantle last year.

Gun veteran defender Dale Morris could also be in his final season, underlining the need to safeguard the club’s younger key defensive stocks.

McCartney said Adams was a key player for the Dogs and had shown added versatility at both ends of the ground this season.
“We believe Marcus has a big future at the Bulldogs, and we’re thrilled to see him extend his contract,” McCartney said.

“We see him as a key pillar of our defensive unit, with his athleticism and intercept marking his standout traits. He is progressing very well.

“Through necessity he has gone forward at times this year and has been a threat, which has added another string to his bow.”

Adams’ deal continues the long list of re-signings at the kennel which has helped bulletproof the Dogs’ young premiership squad.

Speedster Jason Johannisen remains the only young star out of contract beyond this season but talks to lock-in Johannisen to a long-term deal are back on track.

Danny the snakeman
29-05-2017, 05:04 PM
Great news.

Doc26
29-05-2017, 05:04 PM
Reported in the Hun - hell yes!!!

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/western-bulldogs/marcus-adams-signs-threeyear-deal-with-western-bulldogs/news-story/12b937652c3e82e144bae0d5d0a2c98d

(Paywalled - title is Marcus Adams signs three-year deal with Western Bulldogs for those who will Google it)

This article is dated 28 March ?

edit: I was incorrectly referencing an earlier Jon Ralph article on the topic, pre today's signing

Mofra
29-05-2017, 05:06 PM
This article is dated 28 March ?
Weird, had the other one as well.

Try this: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/western-bulldogs/marcus-adams-signs-threeyear-deal-with-western-bulldogs/news-story/12b937652c3e82e144bae0d5d0a2c98d

bulldogtragic
29-05-2017, 05:07 PM
That Boyd deal is killing us.

Three year deal after playing just 20 games. Great effort.

chef
29-05-2017, 05:08 PM
Amazing. I thought he was gone TBH.

Happy days.

The Bulldogs Bite
29-05-2017, 05:11 PM
I was pretty concerned he'd be out the door too, chef.

Great news - he's had a terrific season to date and if he can tidy up a few brain fades, will be a top 5 key defender in the league soon.

WBFC4FFC
29-05-2017, 05:15 PM
I was pretty concerned he'd be out the door too, chef.

Great news - he's had a terrific season to date and if he can tidy up a few brain fades, will be a top 5 key defender in the league soon.

Yeah - At least one brain-fade a game at present. Hopefully he can eliminate it and he can recapture his consistency in his debut rounds last year!

always right
29-05-2017, 05:16 PM
Great signing.....he's been terrific this season after a slowish start....and there's plenty of improvement in him.

Cyberdoggie
29-05-2017, 05:16 PM
Yeah a fantastic result. Not only to sign him but to get him for 3 years.

After the trade period issue where he dropped the bombshell of wanting to go home, I thought his days were numbered and he would only see out his contract. To sign on for 3 years is fantastic as we can't afford to lose another key defender with some size.

Will give me the odd heart attack every game but he's been rock solid for a player with less than 20 games experience.

bornadog
29-05-2017, 05:18 PM
Yeah a fantastic result. Not only to sign him but to get him for 3 years.

After the trade period issue where he dropped the bombshell of wanting to go home, I thought his days were numbered and he would only see out his contract. To sign on for 3 years is fantastic as we can't afford to lose another key defender with some size.

Will give me the odd heart attack every game but he's been rock solid for a player with less than 20 games experience.

I am glad he decided to stay. Maybe the girl he was sitting next to at the GF persuaded him otherwise. :D

NOW FOR JJ

Ozza
29-05-2017, 05:28 PM
Great result. Adams has become very important for us.

3 year deal is a good sign that he is feeling pretty settled in Melbourne now.

comrade
29-05-2017, 05:34 PM
Good work by all those involved at the club in helping him feel more settled, it's obviously been a big turn around from October.

He's become a vital cog in our team and will only improve. Great news.

bulldogtragic
29-05-2017, 05:35 PM
JMac has been very busy. Obviously JJ is on top of the list, but then there's what to do with Stew, then Redders & Roberts are up and then kids in Dunkley, Dale, Webb & Collins plus fringe kids in Hamilton & Honey. And at the end of the year our 3 vets and rookie listed players. JMac has gone about his business well so far, it'd be interesting to know which other team player managers he's been chatting to around signing up so much talent.

bulldogsthru&thru
29-05-2017, 05:36 PM
Yeah - At least one brain-fade a game at present. Hopefully he can eliminate it and he can recapture his consistency in his debut rounds last year!

Remember a Brian Harris having brain fades early on too. He turned ok

always right
29-05-2017, 05:38 PM

Early on? He averaged a couple a game his entire career.

comrade
29-05-2017, 05:43 PM

Adams reminds me a little of Rance in his early years, prone to overestimating time and space and coughing the ball up in bad spots. With time, those brain fades should ease.

bornadog
29-05-2017, 05:50 PM
Adams reminds me a little of Rance in his early years, prone to overestimating time and space and coughing the ball up in bad spots. With time, those brain fades should ease.

It's when he hesitates, and looks around for an option, then trys to handball or go for the short kick - he has given away a lot of goals.

I think he is getting better all the time, and we must remember he has played 20 games.

1eyedog
29-05-2017, 05:59 PM
It's not surprising in todays footy climate, but I was shocked when a premiership player left a month after winning a premiership with us. I'm a Neanderthal, footy to me was always about loyalty but I know this is just a residual ideology from a distant youth I haven't been able to shake emotionally. It's weird given the amount of absolute stars we lost to other clubs in the 70/80s, but I just thought that if Hamling went after winning a flag anyone can go, and I was very shaky on Adams.

I think for Freo it was Hamling or Adams (I'm sure they would have both), but wouldn't be surprised to hear they weren't prepared to throw a 20 game player a heap of money and a long term deal. West Coast has the Adams type covered with Yeo / Barrass. Who knows how into him they were.

It's smart from our perspective because we are light on for his size and skill set but its mutually beneficial as he secures his medium term future. Win-win. I like that it also tells the competition that our strong culture is facilitating the retention of our list.

Now we just need to lock JJ away.

whythelongface
29-05-2017, 06:16 PM
Great re-signing. Like others I thought he was gone. Also was in favour of moving him on if he had no intention of staying. Glad I was wrong on both fronts. He is a player we can build our long term defence around. With others like Cordy and Roberts we have the mainstays of our back line. Still would like to sign one more quality tall defender.

always right
29-05-2017, 07:24 PM
The fact he signed for three years rather has two is also a positive. It suggests he is keen to stay and may sign a further contract when it comes up.

The comparison with Rance is a good one. He was pretty shaky early in his career and Adams has some of his attributes.

ratsmac
29-05-2017, 07:47 PM
Bloody oath!! super pumped over this news.

He's a very important player in the team at present.

Eastdog
29-05-2017, 07:49 PM
Bloody oath!! super pumped over this news.

He's a very important player in the team at present.

Particularly with Hamling not around anymore and in the future Morris won't be there he has become very important. He has been very decent this year in the haves his played. Still has improvement in him but he is on the right track. Good to have him on board.

josie
29-05-2017, 07:56 PM
Great news!! His flexibility to be able to play forward adds to his value. I was concerned after his injuries last year he might feel a bit left out. This is a great indication the club and players are making him feel right at home.

Bullies
29-05-2017, 07:56 PM
Any know how Collins is tracking? Was there a reason he was left for so long in the draft when he was expected to go early?

chef
29-05-2017, 08:02 PM
Any know how Collins is tracking? Was there a reason he was left for so long in the draft when he was expected to go early?

I doubt he'll make it. Hes slow, immobile and his disposal isnt great.

1eyedog
29-05-2017, 08:10 PM

It's odd because we knew that but we still took him early and was surprised we got him. I wonder what else he has that attracted us. Maybe we thought he would slim down and pick up a yard of pace. He seems the Nathan Brown type of defender to me and maybe we see him as insurance against a (potentially) brittle Adams.

1eyedog
29-05-2017, 08:11 PM
The Rance comparison is a good one although Adams has naturally better hands in the air and is a longer kick. The rest is very similar.

soupman
29-05-2017, 08:26 PM
Was always confident he'd stay. I was never under the impression he asked to be traded as such, but rather he put it to the club that if it helped them out he was happy to go. It sounds like the same thing but it's not. Very pleased he has signed up, he is just about the best key position player on our list.

The only downside to this is we now have to witness him play in at least 3 more pre-season campaigns. What horrors will we witness?

bornadog
29-05-2017, 08:29 PM

#tooearlytocall

At 19 years old, I am prepared to see how he goes before making judgement.

I actually said the same thing about Adams at the start of the year, as I wasn't sure how he would go. Adams has been great this season and I am glad my doubts are gone.

soupman
29-05-2017, 08:29 PM
The Rance comparison is a good one although Adams has naturally better hands in the air and is a longer kick. The rest is very similar.

I love listening to people compare youth prospects to star players. It's always "He reminds of Judd/Ablett/Dangerfield/Fyfe except he is more explosive/clutch/a much better kick".

*I don't disagree with the comparism btw.

always right
29-05-2017, 08:33 PM

...and he's still a teenager. Let's not write him off just yet.

Mantis
29-05-2017, 08:44 PM
Great news, that didn't quite make headlines in Radelaide.

Look forward to having my hands over my eyes for the next 3 years!

chef
29-05-2017, 08:56 PM
#tooearlytocall

At 19 years old, I am prepared to see how he goes before making judgement.

I actually said the same thing about Adams at the start of the year, as I wasn't sure how he would go. Adams has been great this season and I am glad my doubts are gone.

You said Adams was too slow, immobile and doesnt have a great disposal? They seem nothing a like to me.

Im happy for others to be a bit more wishful on Collins but i just don't see it. TBH i havent seen him a heap though.

1eyedog
29-05-2017, 09:02 PM
I love listening to people compare youth prospects to star players. It's always "He reminds of Judd/Ablett/Dangerfield/Fyfe except he is more explosive/clutch/a much better kick".

*I don't disagree with the comparism btw.

Yes that's very true. The attributes mentioned are more about what he has in addition to Rance rather than a comparison. He's not as good as Rance in anyway, yet, but he's a like player in a like role.

bornadog
29-05-2017, 09:04 PM
You said Adams was too slow, immobile and doesn't have a great disposal? They seem nothing a like to me.

Im happy for others to be a bit more wishful on Collins but i just don't see it. TBH i haven't seen him a heap though.

Sorry I didn't say that and should have explained better. What I meant was I said he wouldn't make it - but as mentioned in a thread (a month or more ago), I was wrong.

AndrewP6
29-05-2017, 09:15 PM
Onya Grizzly!

chef
29-05-2017, 09:20 PM
Sorry I didn't say that and should have explained better. What I meant was I said he wouldn't make it - but as mentioned in a thread (a month or more ago), I was wrong.

Adams showed last season he could play at the highest level, so did you really think at the start of this season he wouldnt make it?

I just dont see it with Collins, happy to be wrong but i doubt he'll be on our list from 2019 onwards.

Topdog
29-05-2017, 09:27 PM
Fantastic news, love the big fella

always right
29-05-2017, 09:28 PM
Adams showed last season he could play at the highest level, so did you really think at the start of this season he wouldnt make it?

I just dont see it with Collins, happy to be wrong but i doubt he'll be on our list from 2019 onwards.
Did you think Fletch would be a premiership player? We all jump a little early at times.

kruder
29-05-2017, 09:33 PM
Good luck trying to find a mature KPD at pick 35 in the draft when you have an ageing defence while ramping up for a period of sustained success. Adams has been a gem from his first game, his performance against the Hawks last year put his name up in flashing lights and he has continued on this year. Glad he has been able to settle into Melbourne life and well done to the club for getting one of the most important signatures of the year.

chef
29-05-2017, 09:36 PM
Did you think Fletch would be a premiership player? We all jump a little early at times.

Not a premiership player(but i never thought I'd see that day) but he looked to have the speed and mobility to actually play at the highest level.

I dont see the comparison myself.

always right
29-05-2017, 09:40 PM
Not a premiership player(but i never thought I'd see that day) but he looked to have the speed and mobility to actually play at the highest level.

I dont see the comparison myself.
I'm not comparing them as players.....simply making the point that we can be a little hasty when judging players, particularly key position players, early in their careers.

chef
29-05-2017, 09:41 PM
I'm not comparing them as players.....simply making the point that we can be a little hasty when judging players, particularly key position players, early in their careers.

Thats cool mate.

Remi Moses
29-05-2017, 10:06 PM
Great news , and it's a bit early on Collins .
Bailey Dale was talked about that way as well. Think we have to be a bit patient with Kieran

Scorlibo
29-05-2017, 10:53 PM
Awesome news, Adams has been super impressive so far in his career. He's already playing quality football, but his ceiling looks very high and he'll continue to get better. Massive signing.

merantau
30-05-2017, 02:10 AM
I'm very happy with this news. We need a big guy like him down back and swing man capabilities add to his importance to the team.

Bulldog4life
30-05-2017, 12:43 PM
Very happy with the 3 years. Marcus shows good signs of a swing man too which can be very effective against certain teams.

always right
30-05-2017, 12:54 PM
Great news, that didn't quite make headlines in Radelaide.

Look forward to having my hands over my eyes for the next 3 years!

Kick it Marcus......and kick it long!

bulldogtragic
30-05-2017, 01:22 PM
Kick it Marcus......and kick it long!

It's written into his contract. All good now.

BornInDroopSt'54
30-05-2017, 02:01 PM
It struck me that at the same time as Hamling leaving, Adams said he wanted to leave but in light of Hamling going he offered to stay. I tdidn’t inspire confidence in his commitment. Now he has signed for three years, that is seriously good. Good key backmen are hard to find and you gotta love the way Marcus goes about it. He is a real presence just jogging off to his position.

LostDoggy
30-05-2017, 02:44 PM
Fantastic news.

Great thing about Adams is his ability to play 100% game time. When he has played as a key defender this year he has never come to the bench.

LostDoggy
30-05-2017, 02:46 PM
Great news. 3 years is a real vote of confidence from both parties.

bornadog
30-05-2017, 02:48 PM
Press Conference:

* Very exciting to re-sign, very lucky to get that opportunity

* Very happy in Melbourne, tough times last year with injury and family not here, but feeling good and happy in Victoria

* It was tough to miss GF, but also very exciting to be apart of so hopefully we have similar success this year

* Few guys that didn't play in GF so desire still there to build, to build a successful environment

* We got pretty good depth & versatility down back, Matty Boyd should be back for Sydney so he'll bring that leadership down back

* Drop games we've liked to have won, but in the games so we have a platform can build off. Besides Saints haven't brought 4 qtrs

* Tame weekend, use opportunity to relax and disengage from footy. Be nice to get a break, few of us have some sore bodies

* It was an impressive debut. As Tim continues to develop, he'll show everyone just how talented he is

always right
30-05-2017, 03:35 PM
It struck me that at the same time as Hamling leaving, Adams said he wanted to leave but in light of Hamling going he offered to stay. I tdidn’t inspire confidence in his commitment. Now he has signed for three years, that is seriously good. Good key backmen are hard to find and you gotta love the way Marcus goes about it. He is a real presence just jogging off to his position.
He sometimes gets caught out when wrestling one on one but I do love the way he really crashes the packs when spoiling. Has a massive presence which brings the ball to ground for our sweeping defenders.

bornadog
07-09-2017, 11:46 AM
Adams (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2017-09-07/adams-recognised-by-aflca)recognised (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2017-09-07/adams-recognised-by-aflca) by AFLCA (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2017-09-07/adams-recognised-by-aflca)

http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/Samples/514865-tlsnewslandscape.jpg

Despite playing just 10 games in 2017 Western Bulldogs defender Marcus Adams has finished fifth in AFL Coaches Association Best Young Player Award.

The AFLCA Award is presented in recognition of the player who, based on his performance in his first two seasons of AFL Football, deserves to be acknowledged as the Best Young Player.

Melbourne’s Clayton Oliver won the 2017 award from Geelong’s Sam Menegola, Demon Christian Petraccam Bomber Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Adams.

The 24-year-old West Australian arrived at the Bulldogs courtesy of the 35th pick in the 2015 NAB AFL National Draft and has averaged 16 disposals, six marks and three rebound 50s in 21 career games to date.
Adams signed a three year contract extension (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2017-05-29/marcus-adams-signs-contract-extension) in May, keeping him at the club until at least the end of the 2020 season.

Final Leaderboard

Clayton Oliver (Melbourne)

Sam Menegola (Geelong)

Christian Petracca (Melbourne)

Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti (Essendon)

Marcus Adams (Western Bulldogs)

The Bulldogs Bite
07-09-2017, 12:18 PM
Adams is a very exciting footballer - his ceiling is huge.

Just need that body to hold up.

Axe Man
07-09-2017, 12:28 PM
Adams (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2017-09-07/adams-recognised-by-aflca)recognised (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2017-09-07/adams-recognised-by-aflca) by AFLCA (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2017-09-07/adams-recognised-by-aflca)

http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/Samples/514865-tlsnewslandscape.jpg

Despite playing just 10 games in 2017 Western Bulldogs defender Marcus Adams has finished fifth in AFL Coaches Association Best Young Player Award.

The AFLCA Award is presented in recognition of the player who, based on his performance in his first two seasons of AFL Football, deserves to be acknowledged as the Best Young Player.

Melbourne’s Clayton Oliver won the 2017 award from Geelong’s Sam Menegola, Demon Christian Petraccam Bomber Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Adams.

The 24-year-old West Australian arrived at the Bulldogs courtesy of the 35th pick in the 2015 NAB AFL National Draft and has averaged 16 disposals, six marks and three rebound 50s in 21 career games to date.
Adams signed a three year contract extension (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2017-05-29/marcus-adams-signs-contract-extension) in May, keeping him at the club until at least the end of the 2020 season.

Final Leaderboard

Clayton Oliver (Melbourne)

Sam Menegola (Geelong)

Christian Petracca (Melbourne)

Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti (Essendon)

Marcus Adams (Western Bulldogs)

That's a very old list of young players - Adams and Tippa are 24, Menegola 25. Should just be called best new player award.

Twodogs
07-09-2017, 09:23 PM
That's a very old list of young players - Adams and Tippa are 24, Menegola 25. Should just be called best new player award.

Is there a game limit? None of those guys have played 50 games yet have they?

Bulldog Revolution
07-09-2017, 09:24 PM
Adams is a very exciting footballer - his ceiling is huge.

Just need that body to hold up.

When I've re-watched the odd 2017 game his form was better than I'd believed

Getting his feet right is crucial

boydogs
08-09-2017, 12:26 AM
Is there a game limit? None of those guys have played 50 games yet have they?

Just says in their first two seasons. You could get to 50 with finals both years but unlikely

Twodogs
08-09-2017, 09:49 AM
Just says in their first two seasons. You could get to 50 with finals both years but unlikely

Yeah, I reread the OP and saw that two year limit. Interesting. Apparantly if you debuted at 54 (gotta hold out some hope for us 53 yos) you could still win an award for being the AFL's Best Young Player!

Hotdog60
26-11-2017, 03:22 PM
With the increase of defenders over the last few weeks were do we see Adams playing his football?
Did the club like what they saw when he had a stint up forward.
He seemed to lead well and he holds his marks.
Or do we have enough tall forwards now that if they are playing well there is no spot forward.
Does he stay back and are the increases in defenders are because Adams hasn't had durability to stay on the park so we got coverage.
Interesting times ahead.

bornadog
26-11-2017, 04:07 PM
I think Adams will play in the backline along with Trengove. Guys like Naughton are the future, and will be ready once he reaches around 21 years of age. In that time Trengrove will be 30, and maybe slowing down.

I think we have recruited with a succession plan in place. I don't see Adams as a forward.

bulldogtragic
26-11-2017, 04:13 PM
Maybe we're looking for a genuine swingman. I see Adams & Young as capable. We've got to keep Adams fit first though.

Hotdog60
26-11-2017, 04:57 PM
Maybe Adams becomes the high defender up field to mark the kick ins. Then hopefully use his long kicking to effect. The one thing he shouldn't do is handball.;)

bulldogtragic
26-11-2017, 05:08 PM
Maybe Adams becomes the high defender up field to mark the kick ins. Then hopefully use his long kicking to effect. The one thing he shouldn't do is handball.;)

Or dinky kicks across the ground, inevitably to disadvantage.

GVGjr
26-11-2017, 05:18 PM

Or dinky kicks across the ground, inevitably to disadvantage.

Richmond were excellent this year with moving the ball directly forward and quickly and I agree that Adams could be a great option with his long kicking. Hopefully the coaches can get him into that mindset.

Hotdog60
26-11-2017, 05:43 PM
Richmond were excellent this year with moving the ball directly forward and quickly and I agree that Adams could be a great option with his long kicking. Hopefully the coaches can get him into that mindset.

With Schache and Boyd being tall targets you would think long is the go to put pressure on the opposition defence. It's really weird having so many tall options at the Dogs.

hujsh
26-11-2017, 08:19 PM
I guess the important part is we'd want no more than 3 talls who aren't great at the ground level defensive pressure.

So that's Boyd, Roughead/whatever main ruck and Trengrove.

Hopefully guys like Adams Cordy Young Schache Naughton etc are mobile enough that we don't lose much on the ground by playing them.

3 might be an arbitrary number but I figure more than 1 in any part of the ground and the defensive pressure starts to wane.

Rocket Science
27-11-2017, 01:31 AM
With Schache and Boyd being tall targets you would think long is the go to put pressure on the opposition defence. It's really weird having so many tall options at the Dogs.

Don't tell me we've recruited to reward the panicked roost!

We've long been masters at getting it off, but never had the personnel ahead of the pill to reward it.

Hotdog60
27-11-2017, 07:40 AM
Don't tell me we've recruited to reward the panicked roost!

We've long been masters at getting it off, but never had the personnel ahead of the pill to reward it.
;) Yes it was needs base recruiting not on best available. If you can't stop the roost, cater for it.

bornadog
04-02-2018, 12:50 AM
Anyone see the footage from match simulation on the sunshine coast where Adams out marks Schache. Adams is such a great judge of the ball in the air.

westdog54
05-02-2018, 10:35 AM
Yes I did. It was a thing of beauty.