PDA

View Full Version : Bankers And Anchors - Round 21, 2017 vs GWS Giants

Eastdog
03-06-2017, 09:56 PM
This is the round 21, 2017 edition of the Weekly Bankers and Anchors Thread. Once the game against GWS Giants is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Optional: New addition to the Bankers and Anchors Banchors 3 players we thought who were in the middle in how they went in the game neither a Banker or Anchor.

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

GVGjr
11-08-2017, 05:52 PM
Bump

bulldogtragic
11-08-2017, 11:05 PM
B

Cloke - Thought his ruck time was more effective. Our most dangerous looking forward, with shit delivery he's fighting...
Bonts - If Wallace 'The List Manager' doesn't have you in, then he's a very bad list manager.
Dale - The boy is clean, off the ground and by foot.

A

Young. Sorry son, but hopefully you're better for this mare.
Toby Greene and all the knobs defending him.
Suckling. Seems to be making decisions as if concussed.
Goal kicking. But the club don't care, so hey, whatever.

macca
11-08-2017, 11:36 PM
B.
Bontempli- this ball handle skills are amazing and kept us in the game in the first half
Cloke- workhorse like performance. Took some important marks
We won insid 50s 64 to 34

A
FIX OUR KICKING a please!!!!! It's exasperating and starting to affect our reliable goal kickers like Dickson . Why would you hand off to suckling is beyond me
Greene-'put him away for 6 weeks
Commentary- it's pathetic . They were trying to justify Greene thuggery as fair
Where is the midfield to help Bonts? Jong has been missed.
YOung - put game behind you learn and get better from it. But not then only one who had a shocker.

always right
11-08-2017, 11:48 PM
B
Bont and McLean were excellent but received zero support from their fellow midfielders.
Sedond quarter, whilst wasteful, was the bulldogs of 2016.
Loved Murph's goal.

A
Lewis Young....had the sort of game that would make him realise this is not an easy caper.
Libba a shadow of his former self and Wallis has had a good return from injury but he was irrelevant tonight. Hate seeing him one out up forward.
Our lack of conversion up forward. Embarrassing that we could only score one goal in a half of football.

Remi Moses
11-08-2017, 11:55 PM
B- The Bont is carrying the team
- Dale Morris isn't human
- thought Cloke battled hard
A- the lack of support for Marcus . I'm really annoyed at Tom Liberatore's lack of condition . He looks like a suburban footballer
- the pathetic conversion
- the pathetic rabble like forward entries

Eastdog
12-08-2017, 12:43 AM
Bankers:

Bont - just a great player

Dickson - great seeing him get a few

Dale - He has had a good year

Anchors:

Young - cannot be too hard on him only a kid played a few games but the turnovers did cost us

Hunter - gets a lot of it but mucks around with it a bit too much

Our efficiency inside 50 needs to be reviewed - 65 to 34 inside 50s in our favour lose by 8 goals not good enough.

comrade
12-08-2017, 09:39 AM
No way I'm giving an anchor to a kid that's played a handful of games, playing deep defence in the most inexperienced back line in the league. He had a horror night but didn't stop trying to the end and that's all you can ask. He'll be better for the experience.

There were at least half a dozen of his more experienced mates that need the blow torch applied before Young gets it (I'm looking at you Libba, Wallis, Picken, Stringer, Suckling, Redpath etc). Some of the most disheartening football I've seen from these players.

bornadog
12-08-2017, 05:48 PM
Bankers

* The Bont's foot skills and decision making - superb.

* Cloke's 50metre snap and goal off one step

*Vintage Murphs goal, that was a ripper

Anchors

* Greene's, gutless dog act lifting his foot to stop the tackle from Dhal

* The stupid Supporter pouring beer over Greene

* the smugness of Patton and Lobbe - god I hate those blokes - playing on an 18 year old kid and acting so superior.

Massive Anchor

* Not taking our chances with all the inside 50s and the 3rd quarter where we lost the match.

Eastdog
12-08-2017, 06:14 PM
No way I'm giving an anchor to a kid that's played a handful of games, playing deep defence in the most inexperienced back line in the league. He had a horror night but didn't stop trying to the end and that's all you can ask. He'll be better for the experience.

There were at least half a dozen of his more experienced mates that need the blow torch applied before Young gets it (I'm looking at you Libba, Wallis, Picken, Stringer, Suckling, Redpath etc). Some of the most disheartening football I've seen from these players.

I gave Young an anchor although it really didn't want to but in saying that he'll learn a lot from this experience. He will be a good player.

ratsmac
12-08-2017, 07:48 PM
Bankers

1. Crowd turnout. Over 30k there with the opposition providing about 300 only.
2. Team effort for keeping the AEFL's baby to 34 inside 50's. It must have been a real focus knowing how undermanned we were down back.
3. Bont's pass to Dahl inside 50.

Banchor

Limiting Lobb and Patterns aerial dominance after a horror 2 minutes in the first quarter. It was starting to look scary. We eventually leaked goals but it wasn't from those 2 pricks so much

Anchors

1. Wallis and Libba. 9 @56% efficiency and 10 @61% efficiency disposals respectively. Wallis zero touches after half time. They were often at centre bounces and around stoppages. Disgraceful numbers for 2 of senior midfielders.

2. Redpath. If you are going to turn your back from goal when your 55 metres from goal you had better make sure you kick the goal.

3. Kicking. Our foot skills are below AFL standard in the forward half only. Out of defense we are alright. It's also the set up, game plan or what ever you want to call it going into our forward half. It needs to be sorted out but the horse may have already bolted.

merantau
12-08-2017, 08:13 PM
1 Bontempelli
2 McLean
3 Biggs

Anchors
1 Goal kicking
2 Field kicking
3 Commentators - doing their best to whitewash a tip rat's act.

boydogs
12-08-2017, 08:16 PM

Suckling was BOG according to WB Social Media

comrade
12-08-2017, 10:07 PM
Suckling was BOG according to WB Social Media

Watching a different game to me.

Eastdog
12-08-2017, 10:44 PM
Bankers

* The Bont's foot skills and decision making - superb.

* Cloke's 50metre snap and goal off one step

*Vintage Murphs goal, that was a ripper

Anchors

* Greene's, gutless dog act lifting his foot to stop the tackle from Dhal

* The stupid Supporter pouring beer over Greene

* the smugness of Patton and Lobbe - god I hate those blokes - playing on an 18 year old kid and acting so superior.

Massive Anchor

* Not taking our chances with all the inside 50s and the 3rd quarter where we lost the match.

Dissapointing to hear about the beer incident. Sure we all were very upset last night as we should have been but if they find who it was then the individual might be in a bit of trouble.

westdog54
12-08-2017, 11:37 PM
Bankers

Bont. Can't do it all on his own.
McLean. Can't believe how far he's come this year.
Cloke. Could teach Stringer a thing our two about work rate.

Anchors

Young. Chin up Son, everyone has a bad night. You'll bounce back.
Libba. Something is seriously wrong. Hardly had a sniff and Shiel ran riot.
Wallis. You're much, much better than that.

Banchor.

Suckling. Some bad decisions but wad at least tried to make something happen.

Bullies
15-08-2017, 03:07 PM
Watching a different game to me.Suckling could kick 10 and people would still have him as an anchor and in the outs for the next week.

comrade
15-08-2017, 06:31 PM
Suckling could kick 10 and people would still have him as an anchor and in the outs for the next week.

Well, at least there's no danger in that ever happening.

hujsh
15-08-2017, 09:58 PM
Suckling could kick 10 and people would still have him as an anchor and in the outs for the next week.

Going by his average he'd of kicked 10.20.

That'd have him well and truly in the Banchor position that he's so accustomed to

Bullies
16-08-2017, 08:01 AM
Well, at least there's no danger in that ever happening. It just seems we have certain players who can play multiple bad games but escape the scrutiny that Suckling gets ie: Wallis, Libber and Picken.

Topdog
16-08-2017, 09:23 AM
No way I'm giving an anchor to a kid that's played a handful of games, playing deep defence in the most inexperienced back line in the league. He had a horror night

But that is literally what the Anchor is all about

The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Young made 3 horrible mistakes that all resulted in easy goals. No one is saying he is a dud or anything like that just that he actually made those errors and they weighed us down.

comrade
16-08-2017, 02:37 PM

Young made 3 horrible mistakes that all resulted in easy goals. No one is saying he is a dud or anything like that just that he actually made those errors and they weighed us down.

You're more than welcome to give the kid an anchor. I have a different criteria.

EasternWest
17-08-2017, 10:34 AM

That's because those 10 would come at the cost of 20.

For a player of his "experience" his inability to show any composure or leadership is damming.

comrade
17-08-2017, 10:54 AM
That's because those 10 would come at the cost of 20.

For a player of his "experience" his inability to show any composure or leadership is damming.

But he did run 50m without bouncing the ball in attempt to 'try something'.

Bulldog4life
17-08-2017, 02:56 PM

Yes I agree. He will be a a very good 200 game player for us. But his 3 horrible turn overs changed the game. No doubt he was an anchor in this match

Mantis
17-08-2017, 05:33 PM
Yes I agree. He will be a a very good 200 game player for us. But his 3 horrible turn overs changed the game. No doubt he was an anchor in this match

No question they were bad mistakes, but shouldn't we be questioning how & why the ball got in his hands for the 2 kicking errors? Macrae had the ball 65m out from our goal and then 90sec later Young has it in the BP. Earlier Biggs kicked it 30m backwards when he had better options up field.

Young shouldn't have been in the position he was had his more senior players taken some responsibility.

SonofScray
18-08-2017, 05:13 PM
No question they were bad mistakes, but shouldn't we be questioning how & why the ball got in his hands for the 2 kicking errors? Macrae had the ball 65m out from our goal and then 90sec later Young has it in the BP. Earlier Biggs kicked it 30m backwards when he had better options up field.

Young shouldn't have been in the position he was had his more senior players taken some responsibility.

I counted three errors and at least two of them he should never have been trusted to improve our position with the ball, his more experienced team mates shirked the responsibility. That being said, the quicker he becomes a player who can manage that scenario, the better we'll be. Just a little bit more decisive and longer options preferred. His hand balling needs to sharpen up.

Topdog
18-08-2017, 06:16 PM

Agreed and those players should be told not to do that but the player who in the end really stuffed it was Young.
Minus those 3 absolute howlers he had another good game for a first year player and i still have no doubts about his current ability and future potential.

EasternWest
18-08-2017, 09:17 PM
But he did run 50m without bouncing the ball in attempt to 'try something'.

Chortle.

He did run a mile then. Took the ump forever to call it.