PDA

View Full Version : Macrae - and his kicking

bornadog
26-06-2017, 02:39 PM
Macrae is having another a good season. He has been very consistent for the last 4 years averaging 26 disposals per game.

In my opinion there are two areas holding him back from being classed as elite:

1. He doesn't kick enough goals for a midfielder.

2. His kicking needs to be improved dramatically.

Macrae's disposal efficiency is averaging 73% over his career, but the way he kicks the ball he seems to get under it and the ball floats in the air giving the opposition plenty of time to get to the contest.

Can he improve in this area? I for one am frustrated watching his kicks.

1eyedog
26-06-2017, 02:50 PM
Macrae is having another a good season. He has been very consistent for the last 4 years averaging 26 disposals per game.

In my opinion there are two areas holding him back from being classed as elite:

1. He doesn't kick enough goals for a midfielder.

2. His kicking needs to be improved dramatically.

Macrae's disposal efficiency is averaging 73% over his career, but the way he kicks the ball he seems to get under it and the ball floats in the air giving the opposition plenty of time to get to the contest.

Can he improve in this area? I for one am frustrated watching his kicks.

At his height his left foot should be way more penetrating than it is. I'm not sure if you ever add yards to your kicks as you get older. As his body develops and he increases his constitution he should become a more accurate field kick under pressure.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
26-06-2017, 03:05 PM
Yeah I said it during the gameday thread. He has a 9 iron for a foot, and has no other heavier clubs in the bag.

craigsahibee
26-06-2017, 03:15 PM
Agree BAD, in his defense he does choose the right option most of the time, and unlike a certa1n player who shall rema1n nameless, he knows his limitation and doesn't try and overkick the ball. Since being dropped by Macca around 3 years ago now, Jack hasn't done a lot wrong and will be fighting out the B&F with Lukey D.

Mantis
26-06-2017, 03:49 PM
Agree BAD, in his defense he does choose the right option most of the time, and unlike a certa1n player who shall rema1n nameless, he knows his limitation and doesn't try and overkick the ball. Since being dropped by Macca around 3 years ago now, Jack hasn't done a lot wrong and will be fighting out the B&F with Lukey D.

It's alright picking the right option, its another thing having the ball arrive to its destination during the same quarter.

jeemak
26-06-2017, 03:53 PM
He's not going to become a more penetrating kick unless he's willing to change his technique - which I can't see him doing.

Mantis
26-06-2017, 04:02 PM
He's not going to become a more penetrating kick unless he's willing to change his technique - which I can't see him doing.

There is no momentum through the impact zone is there? It's like a golfer who hits 'powder puff' fades... need to swing through the hitting zone, not around it.

always right
26-06-2017, 08:38 PM
Clay Smith improved his kicking significantly. I still hold out some hope.

Happy Days
26-06-2017, 09:02 PM
Honestly I'm good with it. I think having the ball maintained in possession is an underrated quality, and Macrae excels at it.

Do wish he would have a little more killer instinct around goal, but he's hardly on his lonesome there.

merantau
26-06-2017, 10:09 PM
I'm not sure what boots he's using but I noticed Jake Stringer is using the Concave boot. This has a moulded rectangular shaped "saucer" on the instep. The manufacturer's claim it increases the contact area on impact and results in greater distance and accuracy.

Go_Dogs
26-06-2017, 10:13 PM
Honestly I'm good with it. I think having the ball maintained in possession is an underrated quality, and Macrae excels at it.

Do wish he would have a little more killer instinct around goal, but he's hardly on his lonesome there.

I tend to agree. Wouldn't mind hi adding another 5% to his penetration and the speed of the ball through the air, but he usually hits a target and picks good options.

boydogs
27-06-2017, 12:29 AM
I think he's aware of the airtime he gives his kicks. Often you will see the player he is kicking to will have to make ground to get to the ball, because Macrae has kicked it away from them knowing how long it will take to get there and not wanting the opposition to be able to get to it