PDA

View Full Version : 3 Things I've learned round 15 vs the Eagles

GVGjr
01-07-2017, 03:17 PM
Lets 3 uniquie things you've learned after todays game.

Twodogs
01-07-2017, 04:01 PM
One thing I have learned is to do the three things thread the day before the game

bulldogtragic
01-07-2017, 04:45 PM
1. It's over. It's all over. The premiership defence, is over.
2. Our skills are very poor. Field kicking & goal kicking especially. The entries are disgusting going in, and when they're occasionally ok, we miss very gettable set shots.
3. It's time to bring in JMac even more, and give him the whole salary cap and also trade currency.

The Bulldogs Bite
01-07-2017, 04:47 PM
1. Older players in Morris and Murphy are finished.
2. No structure and no gameplan, we've been worked out and in our inability to adapt is poor.
3. We have the worst skills in the league.

DOG GOD
01-07-2017, 05:31 PM
1. Our skill level is the worst in the afl, and vfl most likely.
2. We aren't working hard enough and certainly not working as a team
3. If weagle had their best 22 in we would have lost by 80 points

aker39
01-07-2017, 05:40 PM
1. Bob Murphy will never play in a premiership
2. Tory Dickson has gone missing
3. I shouldn't waste my valuable time overseas watching the Dogs.

PS - When the Dogs got back within a point the bar certainly new there was a game on.

AndrewP6
01-07-2017, 05:51 PM
Morris is cooked.
JJ is fragile.
Our "stars" aren't really stars just yet.

Doc26
01-07-2017, 06:07 PM
1. Ferocity can compensate for a general lack of skill but when we don't bring it we are a very pedestrian outfit. Viewing effort as optional or as selective at the elite level when others are after our scalp will see us fall off the perch as quick as we got there.

2. Beveridge needs help. Time for a refresh by looking to move on our institutionalised Bulldog lifers in Smith and Giansiracusa. We can no longer rely on bringing extreme intensity every week to compensate. We need to substantially lift our skill level, particularly by foot, to even compete with the bottom eight.

3. Time for others to be called out and not just leave Libba to be the lone scapegoat for not returning in the best physical and mental shape.

Remi Moses
01-07-2017, 06:22 PM
1. Never ever drive if there are roadworks on Footscray rd
2. Our effort for most of the game was unacceptable
3. Pass me the barocca, we've got a ripping hangover

Twodogs
01-07-2017, 06:25 PM
1. We can put a line through a few. Morris (bad, bad, naughty twodogs but I think it's true), Murphy, Suckling
2. Time to rotate some of the coaching team out
3. It's round 16 or whatever and we still think we can get away with playing a quarter a game and win.

GVGjr
01-07-2017, 06:41 PM
2. Beveridge needs help. Time for a refresh by looking to move on our institutionalised Bulldog lifers in Smith and Giansiracusa. We can no longer rely on bringing extreme intensity every week to compensate. We need to substantially lift our skill level, particularly by foot, to even compete with the bottom eight.

Did we get get someone to replace Graham Lowe?

3. Time for others to be called out and not just leave Libba to be the lone scapegoat for not returning in the best physical and mental shape.

Which names spring to mind Doc?

always right
01-07-2017, 06:50 PM
1. The non effort in the third quarter was insipid. Did I really see us not contest a boundary throw-in in the Eagles forward pocket that resulted in an uncontested goal?
2. Who would be a forward in our team when the only bloke who looked like hitting a target will be retiring at the end of the year.
3. What a surprise. Finally got going in the last quarter when we moved an extra tall forward to make their defenders honest.

azabob
01-07-2017, 06:54 PM

I thought Chris Maple took over Lowes role. Wonder why he left during the season?

Doc26
01-07-2017, 06:58 PM

Chris Maple I understand. Is the role outside of his pay grade ?

Top of the tree:

Johannisen
Stringer

And apologies for the harshness of my observation but both are akin to treacle both physically and mentally with their selective efforts. Their on field vigour is not what we want to be known for and certainly not what we want our younger kids to model themselves on.

Liam for different reasons is hanging on by a thread but at least he appears to be putting his body on the line more times than not and knowing Picko is probably playing through injury.

Dickson's been quite woeful but he's coming off a very interrupted pre season. Suckling in my view is how he is, a cream on top player which right now it's the cake that's gone flat.

anfo27
01-07-2017, 07:13 PM

Surely Dahlhaus needs to be mentioned! My favourite player but is just not that player this year. I had him as our most important player because he simply gets us going when we are down through sheer guts & determination. Dahl has always lacked polish but his guts & determination more than made up for it. Lets be honest, he is a GUN! But now the guts & determination has gone down a few notches & now his lack of polish stands out.

westdog54
01-07-2017, 07:18 PM
1. Cordy is the best defender on our list.
2. Tom Campbell may yet change my mind about him.
3. Our dumb decisions hurt us more than our poor skills.

lemmon
01-07-2017, 07:19 PM
I thought Chris Maple took over Lowes role. Wonder why he left during the season?

Or did we replace Montgomery? There are mixed opinions but he was the most credentialed of the assistants

Nuggety Back Pocket
01-07-2017, 07:21 PM
1. Four players in Stringer Suckling Dickson and Honeychurch virtually didn't touch the ball in the first half.
2. Another poorly selected team by the MC.
3. Apart from Redpath the forward line was non existent with only one avenue to goal.

lemmon
01-07-2017, 07:23 PM
1. It's amazing how poor our disposal is when you consider how many 'outside' players we pack into the side. A side containing Hunter, Macrae, JJ, Suckling, Murhphy, Daniel, Dale, McLean, Biggs, Picken, Dickson and we can't hit a target.

2. We simply need to go taller up front. How many times were Picken and Wallis our marking targets?

3. Roughead is not a defender...we knew that 3 years ago. Apparently it had to be re-learned

kruder
01-07-2017, 07:58 PM
1. It's amazing how poor our disposal is when you consider how many 'outside' players we pack into the side. A side containing Hunter, Macrae, JJ, Suckling, Murhphy, Daniel, Dale, McLean, Biggs, Picken, Dickson and we can't hit a target.

2. We simply need to go taller up front. How many times were Picken and Wallis our marking targets?

3. Roughead is not a defender...we knew that 3 years ago. Apparently it had to be re-learned

You can add Honey to that list of tall marking targets. Its not only about playing talls its about set up. Our forwards were sucked way too high up the park to even have an impact for the majority.

Remi Moses
01-07-2017, 08:17 PM
Brereton was riding Stringer hard today, and sadly he was on the money .
Jake didn't work anywhere near hard enough and looks like he doesn't want body contact .

LostDoggy
01-07-2017, 08:30 PM
1. We are a dour old stayer not a cox plate horse.

2. The game is in massive trouble if peasants like Barrett can be a conductor for the umpiring department.

3. I'm not righting us off until I see how we go against Adelaide. A better opponent might wake us up.

merantau
01-07-2017, 08:42 PM
1. We had no one capable of lifting the team today.
2. Whenever we had chances to kick team lifting goals in the first 3 quarters we failed.
3. We are not running and spreading like we used to.

Twodogs
01-07-2017, 09:56 PM
Or did we replace Montgomery? There are mixed opinions but he was the most credentialed of the assistants

I think the guy who came across from Collingwood during the preseason took over as chief assistant coach.

Twodogs
01-07-2017, 09:59 PM
1. We are a dour old stayer not a cox plate horse.

2. The game is in massive trouble if peasants like Barrett can be a conductor for the umpiring department.

3. I'm not righting us off until I see how we go against Adelaide. A better opponent might wake us up.

I don't think we are going to do a Makybe Diva though. It's looking like Kiwi at the moment.

bulldogtragic
01-07-2017, 10:02 PM
I don't think we are going to do a Makybe Diva though. It's looking like Kiwi at the moment.

Season 2017: The Glue Factory

Bulldog Revolution
01-07-2017, 10:05 PM
I think the guy who came across from Collingwood during the preseason took over as chief assistant coach.

I think he's our VFL coach - Steve Grace

PedroArvy
01-07-2017, 10:12 PM
1. Even though we looked terrible we were within one point in the final quarter.
2. If even one forward fired we would have won.
3. This forum gets easily depressed :cool:

LostDoggy
01-07-2017, 11:03 PM

Looking like it at the moment, the Diva only won one race in between her first and second cup but.....

always right
01-07-2017, 11:27 PM
1. Even though we looked terrible we were within one point in the final quarter.
2. If even one forward fired we would have won.
3. This forum gets easily depressed :cool:

We played a team without Kennedy, Lecras, and Hurn to name just a few. They looked faster, stronger, better marks, and better kicks. We dominated hitouts but got smashed in clearances and couldn't get close to them when the ball spilt free. At one point there was a throw-in in the Eagles forward pocket where we failed to contest the ruck against Jack Darling, failed to tackle him when he got the ball, and failed to stop the bloke receiving the handball from Darling and kicking an easy snap goal. But you're right, we have nothing to be concerned about and shouldn't complain.

Twodogs
01-07-2017, 11:31 PM
I think he's our VFL coach - Steve Grace

OK you're probably right, reserves coach to senior assistant is a bit of a jump. We must have promoted from within then because we can't not have a senior assistant. Although if we didn't have one then that would certainly explain a few things.

Looking like it at the moment, the Diva only won one race in between her first and second cup but.....

You must be the only person in the world more blindingly, infuriatingly optimistic than I am. The owners sacked the trainer as well I seem to remember.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
02-07-2017, 12:00 AM
1. I never expected us to go back to back. I am one of those who thought we were the best team for one month last year and the 7th best for 22 rounds prior. I'm ever grateful for that one month.However i did expect us to improve this year. We have clearly not done that.

2. Roughy is either our 1st ruck or if he's not then he's out of form and out of the side. Scarlett's platitudes about him becoming one of the comp's best defenders were clearly just that and not based in reality. He's too slow off the mark and not agile enough to compete unless he marks the ball. And he's an ordinary kick at best.

3. We need to become a team that has a proficiency set based on skill not just contested ball winning and pressure. Other sides have lifted their game to surpass us in both of those areas and our skill deficiencies have left us looking like a team without a plan.

bornadog
02-07-2017, 12:13 AM
1. Roughead belongs in the ruck and is not a backman's you know what. Looked totally lost out there.

2. Dickson should have been dropped after only 5 possessions last week. At half time had ZERO against his name.

3. Structure was all wrong taking Redpath out of the forward line and being a second ruck - really hurt us.

always right
02-07-2017, 12:14 AM
I watched an impressive Richmond take apart Port Power with daring run, precise kicking, and deadly finishing. How quickly they've overtaken us with a list that looks inferior on paper. We have a team of plodders and the only bloke with line breaking speed doesn't like attention.

China Dog
02-07-2017, 08:26 AM
Bevo and the club need to stop pretending nothing is wrong within the club. It is glaringly obvious that there are issues between some players and an absolute lack of either desire or interest with JJ and Stringer. As for Suckling, he kicking skills may be good but he makes way to may errors and is too soft and slow to be in the team. Time to start putting together the team that will represent us proudly in 2018. Williams, Webb, Roberts & co. need to be played and we need to start preparing for life without Murph, Moyd, Morris, and trade out both JJ and Stringer. Libba needs to get his act together as well, otherwise he should go as well.

Go_Dogs
02-07-2017, 11:48 AM
We played a team without Kennedy, Lecras, and Hurn to name just a few. They looked faster, stronger, better marks, and better kicks. We dominated hitouts but got smashed in clearances and couldn't get close to them when the ball spilt free. At one point there was a throw-in in the Eagles forward pocket where we failed to contest the ruck against Jack Darling, failed to tackle him when he got the ball, and failed to stop the bloke receiving the handball from Darling and kicking an easy snap goal. But you're right, we have nothing to be concerned about and shouldn't complain.

Not Roughead's finest patch if it's the one I'm thinking of.

Poor kick to Biggs when switching allowed the ball to go out. Roughie called that he would contest the ruck contest but seemingly didn't have the time/effort to get himself there to contest and they got an easy goal.

Remi Moses
02-07-2017, 11:53 AM

Poor kick to Biggs when switching allowed the ball to go out. Roughie called that he would contest the ruck contest but seemingly didn't have the time/effort to get himself there to contest and they got an easy goal.
Think that might have been Sheed who snapped that goal . That effort from Jordan pretty much summed up where we're at .

Go_Dogs
02-07-2017, 11:57 AM
Think that might have been Sheed who snapped that goal . That effort from Jordan pretty much summed up where we're at .

It was very disappointing coming from one of our leaders.

bornadog
02-07-2017, 12:03 PM
It was very disappointing coming from one of our leaders.

Similarly Redpath's brain fade kicking across the ground towards Wood, but stuffing it up really denied us an opportunity when he should have kicked towards goal. The idea was ok, the execution was terrible.

ratsmac
02-07-2017, 02:16 PM
1. Gia is our stoppage coach. I just learned that. No offense Gia but I think you should stick to forwards because our clearance work has gone backwards since you took over.

2. It's time to plan ahead to 2018 and onwards. 2017 is pretty much done and dusted. 'IF' somehow we managed to string enough wins together to make the final 8 we would be just making up the numbers. Some smart trading in the off season is needed. We must give up some good players to get something good in return.

3. Leicester City and Western Bulldogs are the same but different. Same because we didn't fire a shot at a title defence and different because we won't sack our coach (surely not).

Twodogs
02-07-2017, 04:20 PM

We would have been better off if it had gone out on the full.

1. Gia is our stoppage coach. I just learned that. No offense Gia but I think you should stick to forwards because our clearance work has gone backwards since you took over.

2. It's time to plan ahead to 2018 and onwards. 2017 is pretty much done and dusted. 'IF' somehow we managed to string enough wins together to make the final 8 we would be just making up the numbers. Some smart trading in the off season is needed. We must give up some good players to get something good in return.

3. Leicester City and Western Bulldogs are the same but different. Same because we didn't fire a shot at a title defence and different because we won't sack our coach (surely not).

We'd be insane to. He's got another couple of years anyway.

LostDoggy
02-07-2017, 07:58 PM
OK you're probably right, reserves coach to senior assistant is a bit of a jump. We must have promoted from within then because we can't not have a senior assistant. Although if we didn't have one then that would certainly explain a few things.

You must be the only person in the world more blindingly, infuriatingly optimistic than I am. The owners sacked the trainer as well I seem to remember.

I am a Liverpool supporter. But I want to see if we belong in the Finals and Adelaide in Adelaide is perfect. Right now we are just rotten but we have pushed GWS and Geelong all the way and maybe we just need to play the really good sides to get up for it. I sound stupid but I'll wait one more week before I put my fork in.

macca
02-07-2017, 09:41 PM
Damn you Freo , if they had won , would have meant everyone above us bar WC lost. we would have a chance to make the. 8. It's almost impossible now

soupman
02-07-2017, 09:49 PM
Damn you Freo , if they had won , would have meant everyone above us bar WC lost. we would have a chance to make the. 8. It's almost impossible now

I'm not saying we will make it but we are one game out of the 8, with marginally worse percentage than St.Kilda and only one challenging away game (in terms of venue) for the rest of the season. This remains a year where we could string together two half decent games and read articles about us being top four contenders.

always right
02-07-2017, 10:51 PM
TBH....it's hard enough seeing when our next win is coming without worrying about finals. 2017.....the lost year.

bulldogsthru&thru
02-07-2017, 11:07 PM
It's over. Unless there is a stunning turnaround and upset win against Adelaide 2017 is done and dusted. The writing was on the wall a few weeks ago.

For 2018 to be a success we need to be active this trade/FA period. Very active. We need a big fish or two. Preferably some players with skill and decent foot skills. J. Kelly please. True grit and determination won us a flag last year but without that we're pretty average

Ozza
03-07-2017, 10:56 AM
1. We are not currently good enough to execute the defensive game plan. It relies on absolute commitment to not having any weak links in the chain - and we too often have gaping holes in it.

2. We're too stubborn to tag - so we just let key midfielders kill us week in week out.

3. With an average of 7.5 marks and over 2 goals per game - Redpath is our best avenue to goal at the moment.

SlimPickens
03-07-2017, 11:42 AM
1. Changing the line coaches hasn't worked, not one line has improved its performance.

2. Zaine Cordy will be a player.

3. Mitch Wallis should be the next captain of our football club, i'm in awe of his application to a)get back to playing and b)perform at the level he is.

Bulldog4life
03-07-2017, 12:00 PM
1. We need to go back to basics to rebuild our team and let it settle. Two key backmen Roberts`& Cordy..maybe Collins and Cordy third back.

2. Two key forwards Red and T. Boyd with Boydy rucking 20% of the game and Red not rucking at all.

3. One ruckman rucking 80% of the game and a tagger...maybe Picken. Keep it simple instead of being too clever by playing a side continually too small.

The Bulldogs Bite
03-07-2017, 12:01 PM
1. Changing the line coaches hasn't worked, not one line has improved its performance.

This really needs to be questioned in greater detail.

I wasn't a fan of it at the time and it's proven to be a ridiculous change.

westbulldog
03-07-2017, 12:04 PM
The coaching staff ignored Andrew Gaff, he is number 3 guys, he had a lazy 42 touches, most uncontested.
The season is all but over and there is an attitudinal malaise at our club at the moment, it seemed to begin when JJ's contract issues arose.
We need to recruit two tall key defenders.

Mantis
03-07-2017, 12:11 PM
The coaching staff ignored Andrew Gaff, he is number 3 guys, he had a lazy 42 touches, most uncontested.
The season is all but over and there is an attitudinal malaise at our club at the moment, it seemed to begin when JJ's contract issues arose.

To add to the 4 running around for Footscray + the one who is injured?

hlnbidoffer
03-07-2017, 12:20 PM

Why did we resign Roberts for two years if we are going to play him in the VFL?

Just play him.. God we miss Hamling, he was such a beast for us late last year.

1eyedog
03-07-2017, 12:22 PM

Exactly. With Zaine coming on this isn't the primary need at the moment. Zaine has effectively replaced Hamling. Adams and Zaine are first choice with Roberts and Collins in the wings. We actually really miss Adams. Morris out of form does not help.

We desperately need a decent outsider who uses the ball well. The kitchen sink at Kelly for me.

1. So many players are playing out of position it's like the chess pieces have all fallen over and we are trying to remember where they all went.

2. Our high defence is a liability. We cannot pressurize the opposition well enough in F50 for this strategy to be effective. We need to change our approach.

3. I'm an optimist, we are Hawthorn 2009.

westbulldog
03-07-2017, 12:32 PM

Roberts would need to improve rapidly imo, Adams is a good forward prospect and Collins is unproven atm. We should have gone after the likes of McStay before he resigned.

Ozza
03-07-2017, 12:34 PM
Exactly. With Zaine coming on this isn't the primary need at the moment. Zaine has effectively replaced Hamling. Adams and Zaine are first choice with Roberts and Collins in the wings. We actually really miss Adams. Morris out of form does not help.

We desperately need a decent outsider who uses the ball well. The kitchen sink at Kelly for me.

1. So many players are playing out of position it's like the chess pieces have all fallen over and we are trying to remember where they all went.

2. Our high defence is a liability. We cannot pressurize the opposition well enough in F50 for this strategy to be effective. We need to change our approach.

3. I'm an optimist, we are Hawthorn 2009.

I couldn't agree more on Kelly - but doubt we'd have the capacity ($$$'s) to get him.

hlnbidoffer
03-07-2017, 12:38 PM
Things I learned:

1. We stink
2. We really stink
3. The lack of effort from the playing group is truly astounding. How did the level of skill execution become so poor. What do they actually do at training? So fed up with these half hearted efforts week after week. The forward line is a complete rabble but they aren't helped by the shocking delivery inside 50. Amazing, how we get smashed at clearances as well.

Mantis
03-07-2017, 12:58 PM
Things I learned:

1. We stink
2. We really stink
3. The lack of effort from the playing group is truly astounding. How did the level of skill execution become so poor. What do they actually do at training? So fed up with these half hearted efforts week after week. The forward line is a complete rabble but they aren't helped by the shocking delivery inside 50. Amazing, how we get smashed at clearances as well.

Do you really think it's a lack of effort? Sure there a couple who's effort levels fluctuate, but generally we are having a dip.. its just that our skill execution is horrible and we are lacking personnel.

bornadog
03-07-2017, 01:27 PM

I see Zaine as the replacement for Morris, ie a third defender.

Agree because

may not be good enough.

I can see what Macca was trying to do, ie have a 200cm bloke at full back, but Roughy is just not a defender. We need some tall defenders that can take on Buddy, Tom Lynch, Jonathan Patton types. These young kids of today are getting taller and taller and it dosn't cut is to he 193cm defenders like Adams, Cordy on these big full forwards.

Mantis
03-07-2017, 01:58 PM
may not be good enough.

I can see what Macca was trying to do, ie have a 200cm bloke at full back, but Roughy is just not a defender. We need some tall defenders that can take on Buddy, Tom Lynch, Jonathan Patton types. These young kids of today are getting taller and taller and it dosn't cut is to he 193cm defenders like Adams, Cordy on these big full forwards.

Roberts is 196cm, just re-signed for 2 more years.. The men in charge clearly see hm as being good enough.

We also have Collins (194), Young (197) and NMM (196) who are all developing their craft at Footscray.

No doubt a gun key defender would be extremely handy, which is why it was reported we were right into Hurley, but we have a number already contracted so unless we get rid of a few of these we need to continue to develeop them.

bornadog
03-07-2017, 02:01 PM
Roberts is 196cm, just re-signed for 2 more years.. The men in charge clearly see hm as being good enough.

We also have Collins (194), Young (197) and NMM (196) who are all developing their craft at Footscray.

No doubt a gun key defender would be extremely handy, which is why it was reported we were right into Hurley, but we have a number already contracted so unless we get rid of a few of these we need to continue to develeop them.

Collins, Young and NMM will take a while to develop. Do you think we should be targeting an existing backman. BTW, I don't know who would be available.

Mantis
03-07-2017, 02:06 PM
Collins, Young and NMM will take a while to develop. Do you think we should be targeting an existing backman. BTW, I don't know who would be available.

No, I'm comfortable with what we have... Hamling has been a huge loss, but we showed last year that with the right attitude our defensive system can hold up regardless of personal.

We have more pressing issues up the ground to address.

soupman
03-07-2017, 03:51 PM
We have enough key defenders. If a good one became available we should go for them but really I'm comfortable with the personnel we have available, just not how they're playing atm.

Flamethrower
03-07-2017, 04:25 PM
1. If someone had said to me in 2015:

We will win the flag in 2016, but then have 2 seasons of 7-15 in 2017 and 2018 while the young guys go through growing pains, before re-emerging as genuine premiership contenders in 2019 and beyond - I'd take that in a heartbeat.

We are still a very young side with a couple of really old dudes in Bob & Dale (and Matt Boyd when he plays) that skew the stats. Our best players are years off their peak.

2. The AFL shoud stop recruiting umpires from centrelink.

3. The roof should be permanently closed, and removed completely - the shadows caused by the low roofline, and the glare from the glass high rise buildings ruins the enjoyment of the spectacle live and on TV.

Mofra
03-07-2017, 04:26 PM
1. The non effort in the third quarter was insipid. Did I really see us not contest a boundary throw-in in the Eagles forward pocket that resulted in an uncontested goal?
Yes, Roughie was too busy wrestling with someone and pointing at others and didn't get to the throw in in time.

1. We give the ball to Suckling at every opportunity, it's not working.
2. We persist with a short forwardline against intercept marking defenders, it's not working.
3. JJ needs to work through the physical attention. Run his opponent off his legs is the only way if he's going to stay in the backline.

bulldogsthru&thru
03-07-2017, 04:35 PM
I know after our poor performances there are a lot of question marks over the list. But i watched the last quarter of the prelim final last year and it is night and day the difference between then and now. Ok we have a few holes in the list, with leg speed and foot skills being the major one, but we are not as bad as we are currently performing. That's a mental thing in my opinion. We have a great list, but it is only capable of so much if determination and hard work is lacking. Same goes for any team really.

bornadog
03-07-2017, 06:08 PM
I know after our poor performances there are a lot of question marks over the list. But i watched the last quarter of the prelim final last year and it is night and day the difference between then and now. Ok we have a few holes in the list, with leg speed and foot skills being the major one, but we are not as bad as we are currently performing. That's a mental thing in my opinion. We have a great list, but it is only capable of so much if determination and hard work is lacking. Same goes for any team really.

We play a game style that includes relentlessness pressure, tackling and this must take a lot out of players and hard to sustain.

GVGjr
03-07-2017, 07:31 PM
No, I'm comfortable with what we have... Hamling has been a huge loss, but we showed last year that with the right attitude our defensive system can hold up regardless of personal.

We have more pressing issues up the ground to address.

This is what I don't understand, with Hamling and Adams already on our list we put in a massive play for Hurley and upon missing out on him and with Hamling being traded and with Adams also requesting a trade back home we basically said no we are right for key defenders Roberts, Adams and Morris can handle it. We are very fortunate that Cordy has kicked on.

1eyedog
03-07-2017, 08:46 PM
This is what I don't understand, with Hamling and Adams already on our list we put in a massive play for Hurley and upon missing out on him and with Hamling being traded and with Adams also requesting a trade back home we basically said no we are right for key defenders Roberts, Adams and Morris can handle it. We are very fortunate that Cordy has kicked on.

Perhaps we were interested in playing Hurley forward. Or playing him back giving us the opportunity to play Adams more forward.

jeemak
03-07-2017, 09:17 PM
Or, we thought Hurley was too good not to chase and threw what we could to get someone we saw as elite into the defencive mix.

With him off the table we probably thought who we had was as good as anyone else we could realistically land.

The Underdog
03-07-2017, 10:02 PM

Realistically though, what other experienced useful options were available? It's not like there were multiple Hurley's out there and we did go very heavy on tall kids in the draft, although they are necessarily a few years away. We probably figured with Cordy moving back plus Adams coming back to join Roberts, plus the hope of Collins coming on that we had some coverage, although not a heap of ready depth. Adams injury and Roberts being out of form has killed that though.
I tend to be of the opinion though that the problem's for our defenders are starting further up the field.

westdog54
03-07-2017, 11:20 PM

I might be missing something here but didn't we draft Young as a key defender?

And did Adams ever actually "request a trade"?

jeemak
03-07-2017, 11:33 PM

Adams said he'd be open to a trade from memory, but was also fine with seeing out his contract. He's now extended.

Happy Days
04-07-2017, 12:30 AM
Perhaps we were interested in playing Hurley forward. Or playing him back giving us the opportunity to play Adams more forward.

Sounds about right.

macca
04-07-2017, 05:05 AM
Hurley got out marked by Rohan a few weeks ago in the dying stage of swans vs dons on the goal line .Real question marks over his passion. Maybe it was a good thing we missed out on him? Salary cap free and all allows us to make a FA play this year

GVGjr
04-07-2017, 06:56 AM

Young was a key forward and has played mainly there at Footscray since he arrived with a few stints in the backline.
Adams who was under contract, said he would like a trade back home but he would also fulfill his contract. He has of course extended his contract with us this year

GVGjr
04-07-2017, 06:57 AM

You never know, we are very inventive. Perhaps he didn't want to play forward or on a wing with us :)

Mantis
04-07-2017, 10:04 AM
Hurley got out marked by Rohan a few weeks ago in the dying stage of swans vs dons on the goal line .Real question marks over his passion. Maybe it was a good thing we missed out on him? Salary cap free and all allows us to make a FA play this year

It was Gleeson who was out-marked on the goal line.. Hurley was Essendon's best player that night.

Mofra
04-07-2017, 10:07 AM
Realistically though, what other experienced useful options were available?
We were right into Schade a couple of years ago, I don't think we even bother asking the question last year though? Now at Collingwood, looked good early in the year.

bornadog
04-07-2017, 10:13 AM

I would have loved Hurley in the backline, he is a gun. You maybe right about the passion as he only decided to stay at Essendon due to the money.

Twodogs
04-07-2017, 01:20 PM
1. We are not currently good enough to execute the defensive game plan. It relies on absolute commitment to not having any weak links in the chain - and we too often have gaping holes in it.

2. We're too stubborn to tag - so we just let key midfielders kill us week in week out.

3. With an average of 7.5 marks and over 2 goals per game - Redpath is our best avenue to goal at the moment.

Spot on with the first two points. Its like we have the worst of two worlds at the moment.. We don't have the passion and buy in for the team defence and refuse to fall back on obvious answers like tagging opposition guns.

Yeah, as soon as it turned into an auction and it became apparent that his motivation was pretty much money above everything else I was happy to see him stay there.

Hes a gun and I would have loved to see him in the tricouleur but not at any cost. I'm glad we can go into this trade period with more options than we would have had if Hurley was on the list soaking up 1m+ a year.

boydogs
13-07-2017, 12:38 AM
We're ranked 7th lowest for points conceded, our defense is not the problem

jeemak
13-07-2017, 01:09 AM
We're ranked 7th lowest for points conceded, our defense is not the problem

It is when your game plan relies on defence being both a springboard for attack and the last line against scoring. Why do you think we have so many opposition players (particularly on long grounds) taking marks around our half forward area? Of course, it's because we've crowded our defencive area to stop scoring.

boydogs
13-07-2017, 08:00 PM
It is when your game plan relies on defence being both a springboard for attack and the last line against scoring. Why do you think we have so many opposition players (particularly on long grounds) taking marks around our half forward area? Of course, it's because we've crowded our defencive area to stop scoring.

That's probably more to do with a lack of good marking options, and kicking long to an outnumbered contest instead of kicking short or handballing. But perhaps I should have said defending is not the problem, not defense is not the problem