PDA

View Full Version : Tom Boyd to take leave of absence

bornadog
05-07-2017, 12:12 PM
http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/WesternBulldogs/Images/Website%20artwork/1_AA070217AT0044.jpg

Tom Boyd (above) has been granted a leave of absence from the Club while he receives treatment for clinical depression.

Western Bulldogs forward Tom Boyd (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/player-profile/tom-boyd) has been provided a leave of absence from the Club while he receives treatment for clinical depression.
Tom has managed his illness in conjunction with the Bulldogs’ medical staff for an extended period, and will continue to receive the Club’s full support as he works through this challenge.

Tom has indicated a desire to return to playing as soon as possible, and the Club will work closely with Tom and the Bulldogs’ medical staff to determine a suitable time for reintegration into the training program.

The Club will continue to provide an extensive support framework to help Tom manage his illness, and asks for the respect for Tom’s position during this time.

Ozza
05-07-2017, 12:18 PM
This year keeps going from bad to worse.

bulldogsthru&thru
05-07-2017, 12:20 PM
Unbelievable. I gotta say though, he always striked me as a guy who could fall into depression. I feel for him. And shows how keyboard warriors just need to STFU.

Hope he gets well and can return and play some great footy for our club.

Eastdog
05-07-2017, 12:29 PM
I wish Tom all the best and hope to see him back playing footy again soon.

AndrewP6
05-07-2017, 12:29 PM
Jeez, poor fella, having to live in the public eye, havingevery move scrutinised, and this...

All the best Tommy, look forward to seeing you up and about as soon as you can.

always right
05-07-2017, 12:46 PM
Testing times for the club. Really important that we have the infrastructure to manage these sorts of issues.....and I think we do.

bulldogsthru&thru
05-07-2017, 12:50 PM
Not trying to make light of the situation at all but jeez our 2 tall forwards with depression. I knew being a tall forward for the bulldogs was tough but not that tough!

In all seriousness i hope Tom and Trav make full recoveries. It's times like these you realise how trivial football really is in the grand scheme of things.

It's a long bow to draw, but could these issues with Tom and Trav be taking a mental toll on the playing group? It's a bloody tough thing to go through for the individual themselves but for the others it can really make you think about life and you could be forgiven for losing a bit of focus. To be honest i hope JJ doesn't fall into the same path. I'm purely reading body language but it's been quite similar to Tom's.

Remi Moses
05-07-2017, 01:02 PM
Real issue for not only sportsmen ( and women) but society in general . I think it's always lingered but been hidden by sporting clubs

bornadog
05-07-2017, 01:03 PM
Not trying to make light of the situation at all but jeez our 2 tall forwards with depression. I knew being a tall forward for the bulldogs was tough but not that tough!

In all seriousness i hope Tom and Trav make full recoveries. It's times like these you realise how trivial football really is in the grand scheme of things.

It's a long bow to draw, but could these issues with Tom and Trav be taking a mental toll on the playing group? It's a bloody tough thing to go through for the individual themselves but for the others it can really make you think about life and you could be forgiven for losing a bit of focus. To be honest i hope JJ doesn't fall into the same path. I'm purely reading body language but it's been quite similar to Tom's.

Maybe JJ should just sign up and show confidence in the club and give us all a big boast.

LostDoggy
05-07-2017, 01:05 PM
Considering the media beat up he's received he has done very well to keep It all together

All the best Tom.

Happy Days
05-07-2017, 01:07 PM
Much love to Tom, hope he gets the help and support he needs.

I'm dreading listen to the neanderthals in the AFL media covering this.

Topdog
05-07-2017, 01:11 PM
Geez this sounds quite serious considering the word choice used on the site.

Cloke was listed as "mental health issues" as opposed to "clinical depression"

Glad he has been able to call out as needing help and hope he gets better in time.

bulldogtragic
05-07-2017, 01:22 PM
Can't wait for those who have smashed him in the media to say their abhorrent behaviour in generating public hatred had nothing to do with it.

The Underdog
05-07-2017, 01:26 PM
Well......*!*!*!*!

Nuggety Back Pocket
05-07-2017, 01:26 PM
Very sad news and you just wonder how he has managed to cope with so much publicity and expectation given the move to the WB in very unusual circumstances, to then play a significant role in our 2016 Premiership win and now this unfortunate news. Let's hope that this is a very temporary hiccup and that he can return to full health quickly.

comrade
05-07-2017, 02:00 PM
Can't wait for those who have smashed him in the media to say their abhorrent behaviour in generating public hatred had nothing to do with it.

Watch Barrett go quiet all of a sudden.

ReLoad
05-07-2017, 02:41 PM
Watch Barrett go quiet all of a sudden.

Hopefully.

I sincerely hope that Tom gets better. Quality guy and i wish him all the success in recovery and what will be a long road ahead.

Remi Moses
05-07-2017, 02:43 PM
Also that moron Denham and gossip columnist Caro

jeemak
05-07-2017, 03:02 PM
I hope he gets well soon.

While many in society and in the football industry say the "right" things about mental illness and clinical depression by and large, I'm not sure many fully understand how these illnesses impact people.

I know I don't. Perhaps if more people admitted that it would make people more open to learning how they do, and we can become better at managing the problem.

Ozza
05-07-2017, 03:03 PM
I don't think it serves much purpose to attribute blame or to speculate as to why exactly Tom is suffering depression.

Everyone is quick to blame either media scrutiny, or social media - for players suffering depression. But depression can also be indiscriminate and affect even those who appear on the surface to have it all and have great lives.

Dry Rot
05-07-2017, 03:26 PM
Feel sorry for the young bloke.

Boyd has probably copped more than any other young high draft pick, except for Watts.

comrade
05-07-2017, 03:56 PM
Will always be a Bulldogs premiership champion, who had a massive influence on the most enjoyable day of our footballing lives. Hopefully he takes all the time he needs to get well, he owes us nothing.

Daughter of the West
05-07-2017, 04:05 PM
Poor bloke. Get well soon Tom.

always right
05-07-2017, 04:14 PM
Hope I don't have to listen to Leigh Matthews express any opinion....the same bloke who declared he hoped Tom would fail when he signed up with the dogs.

Doc26
05-07-2017, 04:48 PM
May all at the Club wrap their arms around him to help him remedy this terrible illness.
All the best Tom.

BornInDroopSt'54
05-07-2017, 04:49 PM
Geez this sounds quite serious considering the word choice used on the site.

Cloke was listed as "mental health issues" as opposed to "clinical depression"

Glad he has been able to call out as needing help and hope he gets better in time.
Yes clinical depression is apparently a very serious condition, another step above chronic depression, sounds a serious illness. Get well soon young man, hopefully without too much medication.

jeemak
05-07-2017, 05:50 PM
Here's some information on different types of depression.

https://www.beyondblue.org.au/the-facts/depression/types-of-depression

The Pie Man
05-07-2017, 05:54 PM
I've read previously about techniques to drag your mind out of repetitive negative thought as I tend to ruminate on ...things...one idea was to visualize something floating away, like a lantern on a Thai beach.

But since October 1 last year, recalling Toby jumping on Tom's shoulders as he runs arms outstretched to celebrate *that* goal drags me out of any pattern I'm in. It hasn't failed to work yet.

We all love you Tom, you've helped plenty and wouldn't even know it. Get well soon mate.

comrade
05-07-2017, 06:06 PM
I've read previously about techniques to drag your mind out of repetitive negative thought as I tend to ruminate on ...things...one idea was to visualize something floating away, like a lantern on a Thai beach.

But since October 1 last year, recalling Toby jumping on Tom's shoulders as he runs arms outstretched to celebrate *that* goal drags me out of any pattern I'm in. It hasn't failed to work yet.

We all love you Tom, you've helped plenty and wouldn't even know it. Get well soon mate.

Mental illness is a prick of thing. Big Tom actually lived that moment, he was that moment...which for many is no doubt a huge source of joy, yet the man himself is battling. The brain is a bizarre piece of work.

bornadog
05-07-2017, 06:24 PM
I hope he gets well soon.

While many in society and in the football industry say the "right" things about mental illness and clinical depression by and large, I'm not sure many fully understand how these illnesses impact people.

I know I don't. Perhaps if more people admitted that it would make people more open to learning how they do, and we can become better at managing the problem.

Hopefully his depression is not as bad as some of those on the list. Fassolo, seemed to come back pretty quickly, and Cloke may be playing this Sunday. I am hoping a couple of weeks and Tom will be back.

SonofScray
05-07-2017, 06:32 PM
A few comments, bit of a rant because this news upset me today.

The footy media narrative around mental health annoys me. I can't quite put my finger on it but I don't think it is genuine. Have been living and breathing this stuff for 10 years now and the behaviour of the same blokes who trot out the same cliches when news like today's breaks just doesn't add up. It's good that the awareness has lifted and some of the stigma around anxiety and depression has lessened, but there is a long way to go. I'm not sure any of them actually would understand thelived exoerience. They are severely lacking in empathy.

I feel really sad about this news and just want to wish Tom all the best as he works through his recovery. With the right support, time and some action things can improve and we all hold hope that whatever the experience so far has taken from Tom, he can get those things back and get what he wants most out of life. Just wish that as a community, the positive stuff and affirming regard we have for him could have been a protective factor. It still can.

I've used this animation in some presentations, it's from the WHO and offers some insight:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiCrniLQGYc

bulldogsthru&thru
05-07-2017, 06:57 PM
A few comments, bit of a rant because this news upset me today.

The footy media narrative around mental health annoys me. I can't quite put my finger on it but I don't think it is genuine. Have been living and breathing this stuff for 10 years now and the behaviour of the same blokes who trot out the same cliches when news like today's breaks just doesn't add up. It's good that the awareness has lifted and some of the stigma around anxiety and depression has lessened, but there is a long way to go. I'm not sure any of them actually would understand thelived exoerience. They are severely lacking in empathy.

I feel really sad about this news and just want to wish Tom all the best as he works through his recovery. With the right support, time and some action things can improve and we all hold hope that whatever the experience so far has taken from Tom, he can get those things back and get what he wants most out of life. Just wish that as a community, the positive stuff and affirming regard we have for him could have been a protective factor. It still can.

I've used this animation in some presentations, it's from the WHO and offers some insight:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiCrniLQGYc
Yeah it's similar to how they react to sexism or racism. They just do or say "the right thing" without actually having any real empathy as to the actual reason why it's bad/wrong.

LostDoggy
05-07-2017, 07:27 PM
I think unless you have lived it or someone close to you has lived it no one under stands how much the black dog can affect people. And it doesn't discriminate, you could be the king of England or the Melton Bogan, it doesn't matter depression or related illnesses can take hold.

Too often I've been told just to cheer up, or stop feeling so down. Doesn't work like that.

I wish big Tom all the best and hope that the club, the afl and his family can help to find him the help he needs.

ratsmac
05-07-2017, 07:51 PM
Poor Tom. I hope he hasn't been living with this shit condition for too long. My wife suffers from this piece of crap and it's hard watching her suffer especially when there is nothing I can do but support her through it. It can be hard for the family a times also which doesn't help her situation either.

As much as I want Tom playing for purely selfish reasons, I hope he takes all the time and gets the best help he needs to get on top of this condition.

Get well Tom

josie
05-07-2017, 08:56 PM
Adding my voice to the chorus of RWB faithful.....Get well Big Tom. A premiership hero. In my eyes he should have won the Norm Smith. Bigger fish to fry than footy now though. Brave to tell us. Bevo spoke so well, I am confident the Club and no doubt his friends and family will rally around him as he manages his condition.

Flamethrower
05-07-2017, 09:32 PM
Sad day. Really feeling for Tom. Having been exposed to someone with clinical depression, I know how hard it is for them. Tom's family, and all the boys, need to get around Tom, but also give him the space and time he needs.

theride2016
05-07-2017, 11:11 PM
Hoping that Tom gets better soon and gets the support he needs.

whythelongface
05-07-2017, 11:25 PM
Sorry to hear this news. All the best for your recovery Tom. You have our full support.

boydogs
06-07-2017, 12:51 AM
I tweeted Tom my best wishes, and recommend anyone here on Twitter do the same. I'm sure he's copping it from the idiots of the world right now, a large number of positive messages overwhelming that might brighten his day

Danny the snakeman
06-07-2017, 02:22 AM
My only advice to Tom would be, grab a beer sit back on couch with close mates and watch the GF again. Works for me.

merantau
06-07-2017, 09:03 AM
Agree with many of the sentiments expressed re the conduct of the media and its commentators who are focused on progressing their own careers at the expense of others.

All the best for a full recovery Tom. You hold a special place in our hearts.

Bulldog4life
06-07-2017, 11:00 AM
I tweeted Tom my best wishes, and recommend anyone here on Twitter do the same. I'm sure he's copping it from the idiots of the world right now, a large number of positive messages overwhelming that might brighten his day

I did too.

jeemak
06-07-2017, 11:13 AM
Seems it's been an ongoing issue that he's been managing:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/western-bulldogs/lucrative-contract-weighs-heavily-on-no1-draft-pick-tom-boyd-20170705-gx54yh.html

bulldogtragic
06-07-2017, 11:20 AM

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/western-bulldogs/lucrative-contract-weighs-heavily-on-no1-draft-pick-tom-boyd-20170705-gx54yh.html

Boyd still doing some basic training. Perhaps he gets back this year?

S Coast Simon
06-07-2017, 12:29 PM
Good luck Tom you are a legend of our football club. A premiership player. Hope you get well soon. We all support you in your endeavours.

bornadog
06-07-2017, 12:56 PM

Listening to radio and reading papers etc, media still carrying on about the guys salary. FFS, who cares what he is paid, but no, these dick heads have to keep banging on about it. They shut their stupid mouths about his salary after the premiership, but now they are back into it again.

I for one don't care what the players are paid, as long as they play well and stick with the club.

Rocket Science
06-07-2017, 01:27 PM
Groggo's appalling(ly prediactable) take on this last night was that the meeja aren't the culpable ones for fomenting the relentless scrutiny this young bloke's copped.

The true culprits, I learned with great interest, are Gordo, the club, his manager and bizarrely, Andrew Demetriou, adding: "If Luke (Beveridge) didn't bring this up. We wouldn't be talking about it now."

Stand back and it's not hard to see the steam rising off this one.

The Pie Man
06-07-2017, 02:23 PM
Groggo's appalling(ly prediactable) take on this last night was that the meeja aren't the culpable ones for fomenting the relentless scrutiny this young bloke's copped.

The true culprits, I learned with great interest, are Gordo, the club, his manager and bizarrely, Andrew Demetriou, adding: "If Luke (Beveridge) didn't bring this up. We wouldn't be talking about it now."

Nathan Buckley : 'and that mistrust is borne out of who you allow at the pinnacle of your media'

craigsahibee
06-07-2017, 03:46 PM
I just hope that Tom and the Club take as long as they need to get him through this, which I'm sure they will.

If he doesn't play another game for us, it doesn't matter. He owes us nothing. All that matters is that Tom gets himself right and gives himself the best possible chance of leading a happy and fruitful life. As a kid that has grown up playing sport, being involved in an all encompassing club environment might be the best thing for him, and I know our club is that. Do what you need to do Tom. You will always be welcome into our family. #realstrength

AndrewP6
06-07-2017, 04:43 PM

Read his article in today's paper. The guy won't be happy until something terrible happens to one of these players - then at least he would have something to write about.

Flog is too good a word for slime like Robbo.

Insufficient Intent
06-07-2017, 05:51 PM
Nathan Buckley : 'and that mistrust is borne out of who you allow at the pinnacle of your media'

Succinct comments indeed, hitting the nail on the head. Rebarbative Robbo; every night and without fail, he's making 360 unwatchable. The Environment Protection Authority should do something about him.

On a positive note, It's great to see so many genuinely supportive and understanding messages about or to Tom, all from a slightly different viewpoint. Maybe a Tweeter could send him a link to this thread; apart from the support from those close to him that he must already be receiving, there's proof here that the whole Doggy Community is behind him. We all wish you a speedy recovery, Tom, first and foremost.

hujsh
06-07-2017, 06:24 PM
Best case scenario is he takes the time he needs to get right mentally and in doing so finds himself in great shape for a full pre-season.

If he doesn't play again this year then so be it. I'd be happy to see him ready round 1 next year.

GVGjr
06-07-2017, 07:05 PM

You would hope that Liam Pickering who brokered the deal is getting right behind Tom.
I'm sure he is but it could be a good lesson for player agents to learn so that they don't turn up the media focus on young players like Boyd.

I wish Boyd all the best.

choconmientay
06-07-2017, 10:08 PM
All the best to Tom. Hopefully he will be back soon and can just enjoy playing football with a bunch of mates.

I found this article worth a read, not sure where it fit. I post in this thread as it's aa article related to what some of the players are going through.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

TheRoar - The black dog and the red ball by Sean Woodland (http://www.theroar.com.au/2017/07/06/black-dog-red-ball/)

I’d take a punch to the head from Tom Bugg or Ali Fahour any day before ever having depression again. In 47 years of life I’m yet to have experienced anything worse.

In the wake of Tom Boyd taking indefinite leave from the game, the AFL might need to have a good look at the demands on current players.

Perhaps it is only a microcosm of society, though the best-case scenario is that players feel more comfortable divulging the uncomfortable truth.

Either way, Boyd’s tale is becoming all too familiar and it’s an area where the AFL can genuinely help society. Their example is being set by employees like Boyd.

I played football, accompanied by an undiagnosed bipolar disorder until I was thirty. My last game was a premiership victory.

After the final siren I started bawling my eyes out. Almost immediately I realised that I wasn’t blubbering because we’d won, but because I knew that winning had changed nothing.

On a day meant for joy and celebration I only discovered how sad and sick I was. Worse, in that tragic, false-masculine manner I tried to fight it, so remained untreated for a further decade.

Depression is a disease of the soul as much as it is an illness of the brain. It doesn’t discriminate. If you’ve got it, you’ve got it.

No matter what you may think of Garry Lyon and James Hird’s life choices, or Buddy Franklin, Alex Fasolo, Travis Cloke or Tom Boyd as people or footballers, they have all either lived, or are living through a hell you wouldn’t want to live through.

For those that are fighting it, depression can remove the will to live. Suicide statistics present compelling evidence that depression is winning the fight more frequently than it once did.

Anyway, depression is not a ‘fight’, and although a convenient analogy, nor should we describe it as one. Often what is meant by fighting, is suffering in silence.

Football is a fight. Depression is an illness that requires understanding and treatment. You can fight an opponent on your own, but not depression.

Like days past when the actions of Bugg and Fahour might have been celebrated, also gone are the days of advising those who are struggling to ‘toughen up’. That will save lives.

The recent actions of Fasolo, Cloke and now Boyd are commendably instructive – don’t ‘fight’ it, get help.

The thoughtless, dumb gags recently made by some media pundits don’t hurt me, but they might hurt someone who is young and suffering from an irrational, debilitating illness, or a confusion so catastrophic that it has infected every part of their soul with an incredible vulnerability.

Winston Churchill called depression ‘The Black Dog’, which is being rather unkind to black dogs.

I had a white dog, a pit-bull named Dudley. Not only was he handy for my anxiety, but his love kept me from suicide. Dudley died recently and for the first time in my life I experienced an authentic, natural sadness.

The type we are meant to feel. It was a beautiful sadness. Depression is anything but.
Prominent footballers are both lucky and unlucky.

Lucky in that they can get immediate access to the best help, something underprivileged, disadvantaged or poor people can’t.

They are unlucky in that they are ridiculously scrutinised and placed under enormous pressure by anyone with an interest in sport. Why? Simply for playing a game that is meant to be fun, a game which beyond the superficial, doesn’t really matter.

Because of courageous men like Franklin, Fasolo, Cloke and Boyd less people will get to the tortured point I and many others have.

Fewer people will abuse drugs or alcohol as a coping mechanism, fewer will retire from football because of a treatable illness and hopefully fewer again will retire from life itself.

Intentionally or otherwise – through the public acknowledgement of a still misunderstood illness – these footballers will ultimately do something far more beneficial for society than anything they could ever hope to achieve on a footy field.

Why? Because depression is life and death, footy isn’t.

Good on Tom Boyd, and if he hasn’t got one already, he might want to get himself a white dog.

If you or anyone you know needs help, you can call Lifeline on 13 11 14 or Beyond Blue on 1300 22 46 36.

LostDoggy
06-07-2017, 11:45 PM
Thats a good read Choconmientay.

Get well soon Tom, we miss ya big fella.

macca
08-07-2017, 12:51 AM
Get well Tom and your amazing young man to have put up with all this being able to produce an outstanding finals campaign last year. I am forever grateful for you amazing efforts and the 70 m goal in the granny was amazing

Take your time, and find what you need for Your Long term future and health. ITs only footy your health is more important .

Murphy'sLore
08-07-2017, 03:38 PM
I still have to remind myself that Tom is only the same age as my nephew -- a baby! And he's had to put up with so much pressure so young.

I hope he knows how much joy he has, already in his short life, given to hundreds of thousands of people. He will always be precious to every Bulldog supporter, because he was such an integral part of that amazing journey. He owes us nothing more. Just work on getting better, Tom, whatever it takes and however long the process is; that's what's important now.

Big hugs to you, we're all behind you.

The Adelaide Connection
11-07-2017, 03:21 PM
Tom will be returning to the club this week according to Matty Boyd.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/western-bulldogs/western-bulldogs-premiership-star-tom-boyd-set-for-return-to-whitten-oval-amid-depression-battle/news-story/2086d51f7758429b982991c7b913f916

WESTERN Bulldogs premiership star Tom Boyd will return to the Whitten Oval this week, according to teammate Matthew Boyd.

Boyd, 21, was granted a leave of absence a fortnight ago to deal with an ongoing battle with clinical depression.

Bulldogs veteran Boyd said players were looking forward to welcoming Boyd back into the fold.

GVGjr
11-07-2017, 08:01 PM
How good is that, all the best Tom.

Doc26
11-07-2017, 10:40 PM

It's great.

May the ill informed AFL media journos out there show some grace, and learn what the cause, and particularly in this case, effects of depression are before drawing more blood with their pens.

Eastdog
11-07-2017, 11:13 PM
Great to hear and some more positive news on top of JJ re-signing yesterday.

bornadog
11-07-2017, 11:35 PM
Training today

http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/AFL/tom-boyd-620-getty.jpg

josie
12-07-2017, 01:21 AM
Thanks for photo BAD. Great to see the big fella back. Go Tom!!

Webby
12-07-2017, 12:08 PM
This Tom Boyd depression episode has been a real eye opener for me. I grew up with it being drummed into me that people need to be "tough" etc. As a result, I've always (and I'm not proud to say this - just being honest) kind of lost a bit of respect for those who declare that they have depression. I hear my dad's voice ringing in my ears - "lacks resilience. No good in the trenches." Etc.

As time goes on, I guess we're all changing and becoming more empathetic towards our friends, colleagues, associates and community at large. So the Tom Boyd thing has, maybe for the first time, made me feel a genuinely unfamiliar pang of "I actually respect him more, now."

From afar, Boyd always struck me as slightly aloof, self assured, emotionless, even arrogant. If I'm honest, I'd say my (admittedly shallow and presumptuous) impression was that he was the typical, two-dimensional, high school movie brooding frat boy, jock who's had it easy, is obviously rich, gets all the attention etc. etc. Even when he blitzed the GF, his post match interviews seemed to lack emotion and he seemed strangely "too cool for school." Typical brooding star!

We always warm to the "battler done good" who makes it against the odds. The Libba (Snr) or Picko types. Their vulnerability is visible and endearing. Guys like Boyd are gifted with everything, "born on third base" and have always been dealt an inside rail. Or so we think. How wrong we were!

When someone like Tom comes out and says "I'm depressed" you feel an instantaneous "Oh, that's what it is! That makes complete sense, actually. In fact it just about explains everything! Holy crap, he's not a bulletproof, emotionless, expressionless superstar who probably thinks he's a cut above everyone else. In fact, he's a vulnerable every-man just like us! Seems his apparent aloofness was probably just shyness. He's obviously (now) just a slightly insecure young bloke who's got his hand up to let everyone know that he's just that.

Now rather than thinking he's bulletproof, I actually now feel that I'd take a bullet for the kid. Suddenly I get it. This whole thing makes sense. If people like me suddenly get it, I think a lot of people must. Therefore I think things will turn for the guy from
This point. Suddenly I understand what this "put your hand up and things will change" actually means.

I almost feel the relief for the kid, because I know how much pressure I've personally taken off him - just from my little seat in the crowd.

Jeff Kennett's banged away on this for years and years. Credit to him for persistence. People like me take a while to get some of this stuff. Point I'm making is that I always listened to the dialogue on this subject, but I never really ever truly felt it. I think this Tom Boyd situation has really helped me to feel it and get where they're all coming from.

josie
12-07-2017, 10:07 PM
Great post Webby. Think many of us have had some similar thoughts. All Dogs supporters will be cheering for Tom when he returns to play in vfl/afl. Hopefully this season.

boydogs
13-07-2017, 12:50 AM
It amazes me how many people mistake shyness for arrogance. It's usually the exact opposite - a lack of confidence to put yourself out there

AndrewP6
13-07-2017, 01:41 AM
Great post Webby. Appreciate the honesty. Let's all get behind the young fella.

Twodogs
13-07-2017, 02:27 AM

It's great.

May the ill informed AFL media journos out there show some grace, and learn what the cause, and particularly in this case, effects of depression are before drawing more blood with their pens.

Very good news and a great step forward for Tom and the club.

Training today

http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/AFL/tom-boyd-620-getty.jpg

Have to stare at that jumper for a while before I could convince myself ir was blue.

Nuggety Back Pocket
14-07-2017, 12:22 AM
This Tom Boyd depression episode has been a real eye opener for me. I grew up with it being drummed into me that people need to be "tough" etc. As a result, I've always (and I'm not proud to say this - just being honest) kind of lost a bit of respect for those who declare that they have depression. I hear my dad's voice ringing in my ears - "lacks resilience. No good in the trenches." Etc.

As time goes on, I guess we're all changing and becoming more empathetic towards our friends, colleagues, associates and community at large. So the Tom Boyd thing has, maybe for the first time, made me feel a genuinely unfamiliar pang of "I actually respect him more, now."

From afar, Boyd always struck me as slightly aloof, self assured, emotionless, even arrogant. If I'm honest, I'd say my (admittedly shallow and presumptuous) impression was that he was the typical, two-dimensional, high school movie brooding frat boy, jock who's had it easy, is obviously rich, gets all the attention etc. etc. Even when he blitzed the GF, his post match interviews seemed to lack emotion and he seemed strangely "too cool for school." Typical brooding star!

We always warm to the "battler done good" who makes it against the odds. The Libba (Snr) or Picko types. Their vulnerability is visible and endearing. Guys like Boyd are gifted with everything, "born on third base" and have always been dealt an inside rail. Or so we think. How wrong we were!

When someone like Tom comes out and says "I'm depressed" you feel an instantaneous "Oh, that's what it is! That makes complete sense, actually. In fact it just about explains everything! Holy crap, he's not a bulletproof, emotionless, expressionless superstar who probably thinks he's a cut above everyone else. In fact, he's a vulnerable every-man just like us! Seems his apparent aloofness was probably just shyness. He's obviously (now) just a slightly insecure young bloke who's got his hand up to let everyone know that he's just that.

Now rather than thinking he's bulletproof, I actually now feel that I'd take a bullet for the kid. Suddenly I get it. This whole thing makes sense. If people like me suddenly get it, I think a lot of people must. Therefore I think things will turn for the guy from
This point. Suddenly I understand what this "put your hand up and things will change" actually means.

I almost feel the relief for the kid, because I know how much pressure I've personally taken off him - just from my little seat in the crowd.

Jeff Kennett's banged away on this for years and years. Credit to him for persistence. People like me take a while to get some of this stuff. Point I'm making is that I always listened to the dialogue on this subject, but I never really ever truly felt it. I think this Tom Boyd situation has really helped me to feel it and get where they're all coming from.
A very humble and forthright comments Webby. Has probably suffered from coming from a non- Aussie Rules background with his father from South Africa and mother with a Danish background. It is fair to say that without his Herculean efforts in the pre-lim and GF we may not have celebrated our famous second flag. Was an outstanding junior footballer and a standout as No. 1 recruit. Given his height and age there is obviously still a lot of improvement to come. I sense his demeanour comes from a degree of shyness given the enormous publicity that has surrounded his still brief League career.

Les Abbott Cheer Squad
18-07-2017, 11:14 PM
It was sad to hear that he needed to take this leave of absence.

All these players seem super human and it makes it hard to believe that they suffer from the same ailments that effect the rest of us. Incredibly brave of Tom to seek the assistance he needs and I wish him all the very best in the difficult fight he finds himself in.

bornadog
13-08-2017, 12:42 PM
According to Bevo, Tom will line up in the VFL next weekend. Let's hope he finds form quickly.

ratsmac
13-08-2017, 12:49 PM
According to Bevo, Tom will line up in the VFL next weekend. Let's hope he finds form quickly.

I hope so but I doubt we will see him in the one's again this year.

Twodogs
13-08-2017, 01:05 PM

Just hope he enjoys playing footy again. I think if he just has fun and enjoys playing football then his performances will take care of themselves and he will play good footy.

Insufficient Intent
13-08-2017, 01:13 PM
Further to Ratsmac and BAD above, I seem to recollect Bevo also saying or inferring that with Tom's time out he'd need more to get back to sufficient fitness. I too would be surprised to see his return this year; hopefully I'm wrong.

AndrewP6
13-08-2017, 03:25 PM
Further to Ratsmac and BAD above, I seem to recollect Bevo also saying or inferring that with Tom's time out he'd need more to get back to sufficient fitness. I too would be surprised to see his return this year; hopefully I'm wrong.

Yes he did say that. No chance he'll play ones this year, IMO.

hujsh
13-08-2017, 03:59 PM
Just hope he enjoys playing footy again. I think if he just has fun and enjoys playing football then his performances will take care of themselves and he will play good footy.

Definitely. Next year and a proper pre-season should be the focus with Boyd

bornadog
14-08-2017, 01:35 PM
Link (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2017-08-14/boyd-set-for-vfl-return)

Boyd set for VFL return

Western Bulldogs big man Tom Boyd looks set to resume with Footscray this weekend after stepping away from the game temporarily while recieving treatment for clinical depression, according to coach Luke Beveridge.

Boyd has not play since the Club’s Round 13 match against the Demons at Etihad Stadium but has resumed full training with the group and could return to football against Essendon on Saturday afternoon Beveridge told reporters on Friday night.“It’s likely that he plays VFL footy next week,” he said following the Club’s loss to GWS on Friday night.

“He’s been back training in the full program the last couple of weeks so it’s likely that he’ll have a run with Footscray.”Asked if there’s a possibility he re-joins the senior team at any point this season, Beveridge said it was unlikely but he wouldn’t write him off.

“He’s missed a lot of footy… it’d be hard for him to slot in in the near future, his years’ virtually gone I would have thought at AFL level, but who knows?”

’Who knows how much we’ve got left. If it lasts for another month and a half he might be good for a sneaky chance but time will tell.”Boyd has averaged 11 disposals, two marks and 20 hitouts per contest over 11 games this season playing almost 70% in the ruck.

Twodogs
14-08-2017, 01:40 PM
Definitely. Next year and a proper pre-season should be the focus with Boyd

Often physical activity can help to aleviate the symptoms of depression and reinforces feelings of selfworth too. So training and playing could help a bit in his recovery.

MrMahatma
14-08-2017, 07:58 PM
Play him at FF where fitness won't be as much of an issue.

GVGjr
14-08-2017, 08:08 PM
Fantastic news that Tom is working towards a return with Footscray. I hope he keeps on an upward trend.
I have high hopes Tom is a real force for us next season but it's just great to hear he is making progress

josie
15-08-2017, 01:02 AM
That's great news. Wish I could be there to cheer him on but going to Ballarat to cheer us there. Hope a fair few doggies fans turn out to cheer him and vfl squad on.

bulldogtragic
19-08-2017, 06:25 PM
3 goals in his first game back.

Good have you back Tommy

Remi Moses
19-08-2017, 06:34 PM
Excellent news on a crappy day