PDA

View Full Version : Loving your work Zaine

always right
17-07-2017, 11:37 AM
Flying a little under the radar but I've been really impressed with Cordy's year the longer it has progressed. In some pretty dark weeks he has been a bit of a beacon in defence, always aggressive and never conceding. He plays like it really matters to him.

The biggest surprise has been his kicking. Not a long kick by any means, he kicks it low and hits targets, not scared to kick on his left.

Another solid game yesterday with aggressive spoiling, he was a major reason neither Casboult or Kreuzer took a contested mark up forward (IIRC). Was a role player last year but is clearly going to be a long term key or third defender for the club particularly as he builds up more body strength. I'm a fan.

Topdog
17-07-2017, 11:41 AM
Yeah I like him. Been competing really well and not getting beat in many 1-1s..

bulldogtragic
17-07-2017, 11:42 AM
There's still a ton of improvement in him too. Ah, Zaine.

bulldogsthru&thru
17-07-2017, 11:42 AM
He's been superb the last few weeks. Almost becoming a pillar of our defence. Rarely getting beaten but also providing transition into attack

bulldogtragic
17-07-2017, 11:49 AM
He's been superb the last few weeks. Almost becoming a pillar of our defence. Rarely getting beaten but also providing transition into attack

Re into attack. We haven't seen it much, but in TAC Cup he would often run hard out of defence carrying the ball and has a Bob Murohy like side step to get around opponents. I'd like to see this develop back into his game as a huge metres gained advantage, the run and kicking, considering he hits targets by foot.

Topdog
17-07-2017, 11:56 AM
His kicking style always makes me nervous but it is pretty effective.

bornadog
17-07-2017, 12:43 PM
I love that he has a bit of mongrel as well, in a fair and within rules way. Has been very good taking on the role at FB.

He will have his hands full this week with some monsters at GC

1eyedog
17-07-2017, 12:46 PM
Young and Cordy will be the pillars of our dynasty. The Hamling loss is felt, but I felt infinitely better about it at 6pm yesterday. Both will have some tough days ahead, but we chose well and will reap future rewards.

Eastdog
17-07-2017, 01:05 PM
Been a positive this year for sure Zaine.

EasternWest
17-07-2017, 03:15 PM
Flying a little under the radar but I've been really impressed with Cordy's year the longer it has progressed. In some pretty dark weeks he has been a bit of a beacon in defence, always aggressive and never conceding. He plays like it really matters to him.

The biggest surprise has been his kicking. Not a long kick by any means, he kicks it low and hits targets, not scared to kick on his left.

Another solid game yesterday with aggressive spoiling, he was a major reason neither Casboult or Kreuzer took a contested mark up forward (IIRC). Was a role player last year but is clearly going to be a long term key or third defender for the club particularly as he builds up more body strength. I'm a fan.

Seconded. Never going to die wondering and loves the grunty stuff.

bulldogtragic
17-07-2017, 03:24 PM
Seconded. Never going to die wondering and loves the grunty stuff.

You don't get to hear as much noises in a game in the stadiums. I watched him one day in Bendigo in the TAC Cup, and you could hear quite comfortably from the grandstand every time he hit someone or laid his know famous bone crunching tackles. It was the sound of unadulterated hurt reverberating through the QEO. I'm happy he's on our side that's for sure.

EasternWest
17-07-2017, 03:27 PM
You don't get to hear as much noises in a game in the stadiums. I watched him one day in Bendigo in the TAC Cup, and you could hear quite comfortably from the grandstand every time he hit someone or laid his know famous bone crunching tackles. It was the sound of unadulterated hurt reverberating through the QEO. I'm happy he's on our side that's for sure.

Just the right amount of mongrel. Love it.

Twodogs
17-07-2017, 03:30 PM
Pick 62. Hehehe.

comrade
17-07-2017, 03:52 PM
His legend was established with the knee that cracked Cement Head, and was only reiterated with that absolute bone crunching tackle on Hannebery early in the GF. He's a beauty.

Wish he wouldn't persist with kicking on that awkward left foot at every opportunity but even that has it's own peculiar appeal.

EasternWest
17-07-2017, 03:56 PM
His legend was established with the knee that cracked Cement Head, and was only reiterated with that absolute bone crunching tackle on Hannebery early in the GF. He's a beauty.

Wish he wouldn't persist with kicking on that awkward left foot at every opportunity but even that has it's own peculiar appeal.

Thing is, it's dinky looking but pretty reliable.

comrade
17-07-2017, 04:06 PM
Thing is, it's dinky looking but pretty reliable.

Yeah he doesn't really make too many clangers with it, but it looks like he will, every time. More for my own cortisol levels, than anything.

WBFC4FFC
17-07-2017, 05:22 PM
Yeah he doesn't really make too many clangers with it, but it looks like he will, every time. More for my own cortisol levels, than anything.

Compared to his team-mates, Cordy takes the first option and delivers. Keeps it pretty simple (and more importantly) effective.

Mofra
17-07-2017, 06:05 PM
Compared to his team-mates, Cordy takes the first option and delivers. Keeps it pretty simple (and more importantly) effective.
His kicking reminds me of Dale Morris - kicks within his limits although he's a bit more adventurous than Morris.

He's gone from fringe to probably our no 1 KPD this year, letting Morris take smaller guys at times and giving some guidance to Young on the weekend.
Probably behind only Bailey Dale as our most improved.

ledge
17-07-2017, 06:28 PM
He doesn't mind mouthing off either. Apparently gives his opponent a good earful all day. Not afraid to take on the big guys verbally.

Remi Moses
17-07-2017, 08:33 PM
Gone under the radar and despite media opinion , we have had a few who've improved

bornadog
17-07-2017, 08:35 PM
His kicking reminds me of Dale Morris - kicks within his limits although he's a bit more adventurous than Morris.

Dale's field kicking is 50 50 at best - misses targets too often, he is better handballing

Eastdog
17-07-2017, 08:40 PM
Gone under the radar and despite media opinion , we have had a few who've improved

Yes quite a number of our players have been down on form this year but a good few certainly have improved. Lin Jong until he got injured again (injuries something that is far too common for us) certainly was playing really good compared to last year.

craigsahibee
25-07-2017, 05:01 PM
I love how Zaine Loves to hurt the opposition physically. It's within the rules and I'm certain he receives enjoyment out of it. Nothing wrong in taking an opposition player out of the game in a fair bone crunching tackle which Zaine is capable of.

Sedat
25-07-2017, 05:07 PM
I love how Zaine Loves to hurt the opposition physically. It's within the rules and I'm certain he receives enjoyment out of it. Nothing wrong in taking an opposition player out of the game in a fair bone crunching tackle which Zaine is capable of.
Would love to see Cale Hooker receive a physical and verbal barrage from Zaine this weekend. One is a premiership player and the other is a drug cheating douche with a shit hairstyle who picks on 3 gamers from teams that are tanking.

The bulldog tragician
25-07-2017, 05:38 PM
Would love to see Cale Hooker receive a physical and verbal barrage from Zaine this weekend. One is a premiership player and the other is a drug cheating douche with a shit hairstyle who picks on 3 gamers from teams that are tanking.

He is an odious human being playing for an equally despicable team! How much I would love us to dispatch them with ease and to see the red and black hordes skulking miserably from the ground half way through the last quarter, preferably complaining about the umpires too.

Anyway.. Zaine. Agree that he has continued to grow this year and a streak of mean is a bonus.

Rocket Science
25-07-2017, 09:38 PM

http://i67.tinypic.com/5jtaau.jpg

:D

josie
25-07-2017, 10:38 PM
Toot Toot, all aboard the Zaine Train!!!

jeemak
26-07-2017, 01:20 AM
I'm lost and don't get the joke.....

Bullies
26-07-2017, 08:02 AM
A tackling machine as well. His pressure is awesome. I also think you will find with Morris/Murphy and Boyd possibly vacating their posts at seasons end that Cordy/Roberts/Collins and Adams will go to the next level. People seem to forget that both Cordy and Roberts are young for key position players.

bornadog
26-07-2017, 10:10 AM
People seem to forget that both Cordy and Roberts are young for key position players.

as is Lewis Young. The future seems bright.

Rocket Science
26-07-2017, 01:35 PM
I'm lost and don't get the joke.....

Just a very droll nod to a certain topknot-sporting drug cheat with a recently acquired taste for showboating on 20 year old opponents.

I'd like to see him ruffle Zaine's hair...

*snip*

westdog54
26-07-2017, 11:34 PM
Just a very droll nod to a certain topknot-sporting drug cheat with a recently acquired taste for showboating on 20 year old opponents.

I'd like to see him ruffle Zaine's hair...

*snip*

Here I was thinking it was a continuation from the Tommy Bugg "Are you ready JasonJohannisen" tweet.

Twodogs
27-07-2017, 12:49 AM
Here I was thinking it was a continuation from the Tommy Bugg "Are you ready JasonJohannisen" tweet.

As I said at the time Bugg can spend his suspension polishing JJ's Norm Smith and his Premiership medals. It's the closest Bugg will ever get to holding either of them.

Rocket Science
27-07-2017, 01:07 AM

That too!

bornadog
27-07-2017, 12:20 PM
That too!

I was going to use it in a tweet, but those scissors looked scary :D

Twodogs
28-07-2017, 12:45 AM
Pick 62. Zaine might be our biggest draft steal since Chris Grant at pick 105 in 1989 (thanks Chooka)

Ghost Dog
09-04-2018, 01:19 PM
Fitting to bump this thread and ask how people saw Zaine's game on the weekend. Do we feel more confident of his position in the team? Coach seemed very pleased.

bulldogsthru&thru
09-04-2018, 01:22 PM
Fitting to bump this thread and ask how people saw Zaine's game on the weekend. Do we feel more confident of his position in the team? Coach seemed very pleased.

He's a bit of an Enigma. Can be so frustrating at times but we do forget he's playing a lead role in our very young defence at the age of 21. With Moz out injured he's leading the charges when Wood isn't there (i.e. rd 1).

I think he's developing nicely and had an excellent game yesterday.

bornadog
09-04-2018, 01:25 PM
Played a much better game and kept the forwards quiet. He looked determined to do a lot better than last week, as the whole team did.

Ghost Dog
09-04-2018, 01:29 PM
He's a bit of an Enigma. Can be so frustrating at times but we do forget he's playing a lead role in our very young defence at the age of 21. With Moz out injured he's leading the charges when Wood isn't there (i.e. rd 1).

Forgot he is still only 21. I see the logic of having him in different positions around the ground. I just hope if they expect him to play defence they give him enough time to learn his role. Has mongrel and this is what I love about him.

Agreed

Twodogs
09-04-2018, 01:34 PM
At one stage they showed him standing next to Daniher and Zayne looked like Joe's mini-me with the moustache and the frown on the face.

Mofra
09-04-2018, 02:32 PM
I thought Zaine was a real positive yesterday.
One thing he has in spades is something we lack as a side - real mongrel.

"Sublime" was the word Bevo used - pretty handy to have a 19 and a 21 year old as the key posts in defence. That's 10 years worth of KPD posts sorted right there, with Lewis Young showing signs too.

SonofScray
09-04-2018, 03:06 PM
So long as the pressure up the ground is OK, Cordy has a chance to be really effective in a KPD post at this stage in development. I think he'll get better to the point where we'll see him become a strong defender that'll be a factor in opposition planning. If the work up the field is poor, he will have days where he'll get absolutely torched.

We know we will get the effort and combative mindset from him one way or another though, which is incredibly important.

bornadog
09-04-2018, 03:14 PM
Memo to Zaine - stay off the left leg - you suck

Twodogs
09-04-2018, 03:23 PM
Memo to Zaine - stay off the left leg - you suck

Now it's your job to make sure you're within shouting distance of Zaine at every game he plays and yell "jump off your right" just before every contest until he remembers.

bornadog
09-04-2018, 03:46 PM
Now it's your job to make sure you're within shouting distance of Zaine at every game he plays and yell "jump off your right" just before every contest until he remembers.

I meant his kicking with the left foot.

Bulldog Joe
09-04-2018, 04:12 PM
I think Zaine was unfairly criticised in the previous rounds, where we simply had no pressure on opposition going forward. Just about impossible for a backman under those circumstances.

Interesting to compare Zaine with Alex Rance over the full season in the year they turned 21.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=8&playerStatus2=A&tid2=15&type=A&pid1=4030&pid2=2318&fid1=P&fopt1=2017&fid2=P&fopt2=2010

Zaine compares pretty well and he should improve further. He can hold our defence together for a long time.

The bulldog tragician
09-04-2018, 07:49 PM
At one stage they showed him standing next to Daniher and Zayne looked like Joe's mini-me with the moustache and the frown on the face.

The latest representatives of the Cordy and Daniher dynasties. Zaine has all the mongrel that his gentler brother Ayce lacked.

Bullies
09-04-2018, 08:20 PM
He will be missed Saturday as he would have taken Buddy. Not sure who gets Buddy now.