PDA

View Full Version : From the Past - Brisbane

bornadog
03-08-2017, 06:37 PM
There haven't been too many memorable games with Brisbane over the years, but two come to mind .

1. Round 7, 1988 - what a joke of a finish and the AFL did nothing to change the result, or at least clear the field and let Beaza have another shot. We lost by appoint.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLNigUF-oYk

2. Round 18, 2005 - when the game style that Rocket wanted us to play,kicked in and we went berserk with a 9 goal last quarter. The highlight of course was the great mark from Matty Robbins and Cooney's last quarter centre clearances.

Anyone else have a game they enjoyed.

LostDoggy
03-08-2017, 07:36 PM
There haven't been too many memorable games with Brisbane over the years, but two come to mind .

1. Round 7, 1988 - what a joke of a finish and the AFL did nothing to change the result, or at least clear the field and let Beaza have another shot. We lost by appoint.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLNigUF-oYk

2. Round 18, 2005 - when the game style that Rocket wanted us to play,kicked in and we went berserk with a 9 goal last quarter. The highlight of course was the great mark from Matty Robbins and Cooney's last quarter centre clearances.

Anyone else have a game they enjoyed.

Cooney was brilliant that night.

LostDoggy
03-08-2017, 10:26 PM
I have to agree. Round 18, 2005 is my favourite Bulldogs game against Brisbane. Cooney's clearance work in the final quarter was brilliant. Simon Black was left throwing his guts up. Robbins climbed into the stratosphere to take a screamer over Chris Johnson.

2001 was also a decent game. Brisbane went on to win the flag, but in round four was smacked them around with Paul Hudson kicking eight goals. It's the most goals a Bulldog has kicked in a very long time (Johnson also managed an 8-goal performance to tie Hudson).

bornadog
03-08-2017, 11:32 PM
I have to agree. Round 18, 2005 is my favourite Bulldogs game against Brisbane. Cooney's clearance work in the final quarter was brilliant. Simon Black was left throwing his guts up. Robbins climbed into the stratosphere to take a screamer over Chris Johnson.

2001 was also a decent game. Brisbane went on to win the flag, but in round four was smacked them around with Paul Hudson kicking eight goals. It's the most goals a Bulldog has kicked in a very long time (Johnson also managed an 8-goal performance to tie Hudson).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W30wSZiGBEA

Twodogs
04-08-2017, 12:04 AM

Do you remember how hard the rain pounded on the roof that day? It sounded like it was going to fall down at times.

From a personal POV we played Brisbane Round 16 1998 and it was the first time we played a game since I'd become a dad. The boys kicked 11.2 in the first quarter.

Ozza
04-08-2017, 11:34 AM
That 2005 game was one of the best nights at the footy. I'm not sure why - but for some reason I watched that game with mates from the Livewire bar, through the glass - rather than from my normal seat. And livewire was completely going off in the last quarter with every Cooney clearance. Grant, Johnson and Matty Robbins were just filling their boots that night.

craigsahibee
04-08-2017, 01:12 PM
Do you remember how hard the rain pounded on the roof that day? It sounded like it was going to fall down at times.

From a personal POV we played Brisbane Round 16 1998 and it was the first time we played a game since I'd become a dad. The boys kicked 11.2 in the first quarter.

At the same time Carlton played Adelaide at Optus Oval and there was something like 9 goals kicked in their match. Huddo kicked 8 alone.

Mofra
04-08-2017, 01:55 PM
Another game - Round 1 2013.
Brisbane had just won the NAB cup, we were underdogs but creamed them by 68 points. I was in Tallarook huddled around a small radio for the game, was amazing and unexpected.

bornadog
04-08-2017, 02:27 PM
Another game - Round 1 2013.
Brisbane had just won the NAB cup, we were underdogs but creamed them by 68 points. I was in Tallarook huddled around a small radio for the game, was amazing and unexpected.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQldqs_BwK0

Bulldog Joe
04-08-2017, 07:55 PM
Cooney was brilliant that night.

He had a big help with a dominant ruck performance from a young Will Minson

Bulldog Joe
04-08-2017, 07:59 PM
Round 7 2005 was pretty good.

We had lost our captain (Darcy) to a season ending knee injury but went to the Gabba against the rampant Lions.

A guy later called Brian Lake got the better of the celebrated J Brown as we won by 23 points in a major upset.

FrediKanoute
04-08-2017, 10:40 PM

We had lost our captain (Darcy) to a season ending knee injury but went to the Gabba against the rampant Lions.

A guy later called Brian Lake got the better of the celebrated J Brown as we won by 23 points in a major upset.

I was there for that! Awesome game - we gave it to the Brissy fans and had various Bulldogs fans flocking to our ara. Had a Scottish mate who F & B'd to the point that the fans called security.....the last straw though was the Akermanis song - if we sang it today we'd get banned

Twodogs
04-08-2017, 11:14 PM
At the same time Carlton played Adelaide at Optus Oval and there was something like 9 goals kicked in their match. Huddo kicked 8 alone.

That's right. There were articles about how fair it was that we got to play in pristine conditions and rake up a big % while they sloshed about in the wet a few miles down the road. Just bad luck for Carlton really from what I could see. Couldn't be helped.

Remi Moses
04-08-2017, 11:35 PM

Went to that game and one of my favourite wins against the odds . Coaching masterclass from Rocket with the midget forward line up against Brisbane's big back 6 . Johnno's goal was special

LostDoggy
05-08-2017, 12:59 AM
Given some Brisbane Bears games are in here, I reckon it's fair enough to include a Fitzroy game. My favourite Footscray v Fitzroy game was at the Western Oval late in 1983. We had fallen out of finals contention (despite having our best year in a while after a horror stretch) and came up against a powerful Fitzroy who were 2nd on the ladder and had a team tht really should have won premierships. We trailled 10 goals to 2 early and I remember contemplating leaving (which I never did) but we gradually clawed our way back to hit the lead with 10 mintues to go and ultimately win by 26 points. I remember both WA recruits Simon Beasley and Ian Williams kicking a bag each.

Twodogs
05-08-2017, 03:53 AM
Given some Brisbane Bears games are in here, I reckon it's fair enough to include a Fitzroy game. My favourite Footscray v Fitzroy game was at the Western Oval late in 1983. We had fallen out of finals contention (despite having our best year in a while after a horror stretch) and came up against a powerful Fitzroy who were 2nd on the ladder and had a team tht really should have won premierships. We trailled 10 goals to 2 early and I remember contemplating leaving (which I never did) but we gradually clawed our way back to hit the lead with 10 mintues to go and ultimately win by 26 points. I remember both WA recruits Simon Beasley and Ian Williams kicking a bag each.

The guy from Eastcoast (the sponsor) walked into the dressing room at half time and spilled $7000 dollars out of a brown paper bag onto one of the massage tables and told the players if they came back and won the game then that 7 large went into the players trip fund. And there was 7 grand on the table for each of the next 2 games if they could win both of those for a total of 21, 000 dollars if the players won all 3 games.

They won all three games.

Webby
05-08-2017, 06:29 AM
Funny period, that one in 1983 as we came back from around eight goals down to beat the Lions and then the following week came from about seven goals down at three quarter time to beat St Kilda.

Whatever emergency action That was taking place in the huddle, it worked....!

Money, as they say, talks!

Twodogs
05-08-2017, 09:53 AM
Funny period, that one in 1983 as we came back from around eight goals down to beat the Lions and then the following week came from about seven goals down at three quarter time to beat St Kilda.

Whatever emergency action That was taking place in the huddle, it worked....!

Money, as they say, talks!

I wanna say we were 40 points down at 3/4 time at Moorabin the week after but I know that's not right. I can remember Trevor Barker pleading with the goal umpire claiming he'd touched Ian William's winning goal.

Against Fitzroy we were in a hopeless position at 1/2 time. We'd blown our chance with the wind, we were 5 goals down, Fitzroy had a gale at their backs to kick away with. Not long after the game restarted Brian Cordy set the standard by running 50 metres to run down an unsuspecting Micky Conlan and win a fee kick for HTB and to be frank Fitzroy were never going to win from there because we were playing lik madmen all of a sudden.

Poor bastards. Suddenly we had a sheep station to play for.

Twodogs
05-08-2017, 02:59 PM
Thinking about it I reckon we were 40 points down deep into time on in the third quarter and Simon Beasley kicked a goal just as the siren went to put us 34 points behind.

bornadog
05-08-2017, 03:04 PM
I wanna say we were 40 points down at 3/4 time at Moorabin the week after but I know that's not right. I can remember Trevor Barker pleading with the goal umpire claiming he'd touched Ian William's winning goal.

We were 39 points down at 3/4 time. Saints kicked 1.4 in the last and we kicked 9.1.

Against Fitzroy we were in a hopeless position at 1/2 time. We'd blown our chance with the wind, we were 5 goals down, Fitzroy had a gale at their backs to kick away with. Not long after the game restarted Brian Cordy set the standard by running 50 metres to run down an unsuspecting Micky Conlan and win a fee kick for HTB and to be frank Fitzroy were never going to win from there because we were playing lik madmen all of a sudden.

Poor bastards. Suddenly we had a sheep station to play for.

Fitzroy kicked 9 goals in the first quarter, and only 5 more for the match. We kicked 7.5 in the last quarter to storm home. Beasley 6 and Williams 5.

In the last game of the year (the third win to get the money from Eastcoast), Dougie Hawkins had 43 disposals, something unusual those days.

Webby
05-08-2017, 03:08 PM
It was 39 points at 3/4 time. Might've been 45 down prior to the Beasley goal you recall.

Not a bad day in Brisbane. Feels about 18 in the shade and about 22 in the sun. Little bit of breeze, but not too much. Finals type weather, perfect for footy. If we can't do Brisbane today, we don't deserve to be in the mix. I hear a few nerves jingling about the place.

We've got nothing to lose. We should just go out there and burn them around the contest. Keep building like good clubs do.

bornadog
05-08-2017, 03:10 PM
It was 39 points at 3/4 time. Might've been 45 down prior to the Beasley goal you recall.

Not a bad day in Brisbane. Feels about 18 in the shade and about 22 in the sun. Little bit of breeze, but not too much. Finals type weather, perfect for footy. If we can't do Brisbane today, we don't deserve to be in the mix. I hear a few nerves jingling about the place.

We've got nothing to lose. We should just go out there and burn them around the contest. Keep building like good clubs do.

We need a good start which is something we have lacked this season.

boydogs
05-08-2017, 03:45 PM
We need a good start which is something we have lacked this season.

That's what I am hoping for this week. The first 3 goals to us not the opposition, and a 4 quarter performance to give us a big win

Twodogs
06-08-2017, 12:06 AM
We were 39 points down at 3/4 time. Saints kicked 1.4 in the last and we kicked 9.1.

Yep bits and pieces keep coming back.

Fitzroy kicked 9 goals in the first quarter, and only 5 more for the match. We kicked 7.5 in the last quarter to storm home. Beasley 6 and Williams 5.

In the last game of the year (the third win to get the money from Eastcoast), Dougie Hawkins had 43 disposals, something unusual those days.

There was a gale blowing toward the Barkly street end and players were kicking goals from inside the centre square with ease it was so so strong. Like I said we fluffed our chance with the wind and our only chance was to stop them adding too much to their halftime lead which we did then overran them in the last quarter with the gale at our backs.

You're right 43 possies was a lot back then. 99% of them would have been contested. In as much as anyone was ever in a contest with the Hawk. They just happened to be the poor schmuck he was making look silly before he ran off with the ball.