PDA

View Full Version : Right deal jettisons star Dog

GVGjr
22-08-2017, 07:30 PM
This from Campbell Brown (I disagree with this logic but hey)

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/08/22/right-deal-jettisons-star-dog-from-kennel/

Former Hawthorn premiership player Campbell Brown believes the right deal could see Bulldog favourite Jake Stringer jettisoned from the kennel.

Barring divine intervention the Dogs are set to become the first team since Hawthorn in 2009 to miss finals a year after holding the premiership cup aloft.

With the disappointment comes soul searching, and list management changes.

“If you can get a good enough deal for him then I think anyone can be traded out,” he told SEN's The Run Home.

“He hasn’t got to where he wanted to get to this year and there are probably multiple reasons behind that.

“The club has to continue to evolve and that will mean player changes.”

After a blistering 2015 season in which the talented half forward kicked 56 goals, he has been something of a disappointment. The 23-year-old has kicked 24 goals from 16 matches in 2017.

He was dropped late last year only to earn a reprieve for a finals series in which the former top 10 draft pick was only a bit-part player.

But Brown says trading away players as talented as Stringer can be a dangerous business for clubs with eyes on a premiership.

“You have to remember that one poor year doesn’t make you expendable to the footy club. It’s can be a fine line because decisions can come back to haunt you,” he said.

As the Dogs mull where things went wrong, Brown believes the club’s biggest challenge will come next season.

“The real test of the Western Bulldogs’ talent will be next season,” he said.

“They’ll learn a lot from this year and the test will be can they rectify it and get back to where they were last year.”

The Dogs round out the home and away season against Hawthorn at Etihad Stadium.

Twodogs
22-08-2017, 07:48 PM
I agree with him that next year is our big test. Knock us down, thats fine shit happens, but it's how we react to setbacks that defines us. Things went wrong this season, but we were backing up from a premiership we hadn't won for 62 years and if we'd gotten everything right that would have been worth mentioning more than the fact we seem to have gotten nearly everything wrong If we learn nothing from this year then I will be getting frustrated. At the moment it's a bit SNAFU and I'd kind of expected that.

AndrewP6
22-08-2017, 09:24 PM
Brown sits firmly on the fence. He could be traded out, on the back of a poor year, but it's dangerous to trade out on the back of one poor year.

bulldogtragic
22-08-2017, 09:26 PM
Brown sits firmly on the fence. He could be traded out, on the back of a poor year, but it's dangerous to trade out on the back of one poor year.

But... As much as it's dangerous to trade out on the back of one year, he could be traded out on the back of a poor year.

Twodogs
22-08-2017, 09:31 PM
But. Could it be dangerous to trade him out on the back of a poor year? If we were to trade him out?

I have no idea who we are talking about.

The Doctor
22-08-2017, 09:50 PM
Nothing to see here folks!

Cam Brown sheesh!

bornadog
22-08-2017, 11:30 PM
Nothing to see here folks!

Cam Brown sheesh!

Spot on Doc

Bulldog4life
23-08-2017, 02:11 AM
Jake is a required player as far as I am concerned. He has had a down year but so has the Club as a whole. I am confident he will bounce back and I want it to be with us.

LostDoggy
23-08-2017, 01:20 PM
Jake has clearly had a tough year mentally with family issues.

The bloke is 23 years old, has won our goal kicking the last 3 years. Was all Australian in 2015 and even kicked over 40 goals in 2016 despite having a "poor" year to some, with a dodgey shoulder I might add.

You just don't trade players like Jake.

merantau
23-08-2017, 02:38 PM
Jake Stringer is a special player and MUST remain a Bulldog. Full stop. There is no way I want to see him at another club. He can do things that few others can do. He has not had a good run at it this year but next year will be a different story. He will be back to his barnstorming best. I would like to see him complete a pre-season specifically designed to build his endurance. He needs to spend more time in the engine room. Get him where the action is. He'll still kick goals and he'll still kick goals when he's taking a breather up forward.

Mantis
23-08-2017, 03:19 PM
Jake Stringer is a special player and MUST remain a Bulldog. Full stop. There is no way I want to see him at another club. He can do things that few others can do. He has not had a good run at it this year but next year will be a different story. He will be back to his barnstorming best. I would like to see him complete a pre-season specifically designed to build his endurance. He needs to spend more time in the engine room. Get him where the action is. He'll still kick goals and he'll still kick goals when he's taking a breather up forward.

How easy is it for power/burst atheletes like Jake to build endurance?

It's hard to make endurance atheletes run quicker, is it the same going the other way?

Twodogs
23-08-2017, 04:13 PM

It's hard to make endurance atheletes run quicker, is it the same going the other way?

I can't think of one. It's hard to think of players that had both power and endurance naturally. Gary Ayres maybe?

bornadog
23-08-2017, 04:23 PM
I can't think of one. It's hard to think of players that had both power and endurance naturally. Gary Ayres maybe?

Riewoldt?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
23-08-2017, 04:25 PM

Mark Ricciuto, Micky Conlan, Doug Barwick, Darren Millane, Koutafides, Tim Watson?

merantau
23-08-2017, 04:55 PM
Of course there are limits to what can be achieved. Limits imposed by genetics/physiology. But it's through controlled, specific training that an athlete can reach their potential.
I am not an expert but would suggest, as a starting point 3x400 mt runs that include 2 - 3 flat out sprints of betwen 20 - 40 mts. When not sprinting the runner should be running at a good clip - say 80% of max effort. As endurance builds more reps can be added.
Jake is never going to be Tony McGuiness but he doesn't have to be Fred Cook either.

always right
23-08-2017, 07:55 PM
Dustin Martin?

Go_Dogs
23-08-2017, 08:07 PM

Griffen managed to build his and become a midfield workhorse after coming on the scene as a burst player off half back.

Sedat
23-08-2017, 10:20 PM
I want Jake's absolute worst game in the future to be 10-12 possessions, 1-2 goals and a couple of tackles. The 5 possession spectator games he occasionally pulls out simply have to go from his repertoire.

bornadog
23-08-2017, 11:49 PM
I want Jake's absolute worst game in the future to be 10-12 possessions, 1-2 goals and a couple of tackles. The 5 possession spectator games he occasionally pulls out simply have to go from his repertoire.

Forgetting Saturday's game, in the 15 games this year he only failed to achieve the about once v Carlton, and pretty sure he sustained an injury that night and once v Richmond.

On average over his career, that is exactly what he has achieved.

Career Season Averages

Year
Team
GM
K
H
D
M
G
B
T
HO
FF
FA
GA
I50
CL
CG
R50
BL

Bulldogs (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_team_home?tid=8)

Career

Topdog
24-08-2017, 10:07 AM
Forgetting Saturday's game, in the 15 games this year he only failed to achieve the about once v Carlton, and pretty sure he sustained an injury that night and once v Richmond.

GWS 11 touches, 0 tackles, 0 goals
West Coast 9, 1, 1
Sydney 11, 1, 1

He has also had 3 games with 1 mark. I'm excluding the Richmond Carlton, games as I believe he got injured in both.

He has 0 or 1 goal in his last 6 games (8 if you include Carlton and Port). In fact ignoring injuries he has 0 or 1 goal in 18 of his last 24 games.

bornadog
24-08-2017, 10:23 AM
West Coast 9, 1, 1
Sydney 11, 1, 1

He has also had 3 games with 1 mark. I'm excluding the Richmond Carlton, games as I believe he got injured in both.

He has 0 or 1 goal in his last 6 games (8 if you include Carlton and Port). In fact ignoring injuries he has 0 or 1 goal in 18 of his last 24 games.

Agree he hasn't had his best season and he needs to lift back to his AA year. I would not be looking at trading a guy like Stringer, he has that x factor and can win a game for you by kicking goals at the right time. From what I have seen, he is not a midfielder or the main man in the forward line, he is the opportunist when the ball hits the ground.

Sedat
24-08-2017, 10:40 AM
West Coast 9, 1, 1
Sydney 11, 1, 1

Yep, his worst is too far apart from his best for a player who has been in the system as long as he has been.

Axe Man
24-08-2017, 11:14 AM
Just noticed that Stringer is likely to win our goal kicking with a paltry 24 unless Picken can kick 4 or more on Friday night to surpass him (or Bont 5). That will be the lowest total since Adrian Campbell managed to steer just 21 through the big sticks in 1989.

Topdog
24-08-2017, 11:18 AM
Just noticed that Stringer is likely to win our goal kicking with a paltry 24 unless Picken can kick 4 or more on Friday night to surpass him (or Bont 5). That will be the lowest total since Adrian Campbell managed to steer just 21 through the big sticks in 1989.

sad emoji

bulldogtragic
24-08-2017, 11:19 AM

Ouch. On par with the glove. That's a low bar.

Ozza
24-08-2017, 11:21 AM
Ouch. On par with the glove. That's a low bar.

The glove is Tony Campbell.

Adrian Campbell wore no.3 ,in the late 80s/early 90s.

But yes, regardless of Campbell, a low low bar.

Bont really should have won the goal kicking (if he kicked straight).

merantau
24-08-2017, 02:05 PM
Those goal kicking figures are a tragedy. I think
Wee Georgie Bisset won once with 21 goals and Kevin Jackman with 16 but that was back in the 60s. Someone will know for sure. I'd say our points for has taken a big tumble this year. Very frustrating year.
Adrian Campbell could have been anything but ended up as footnote in the memory banks of old time supporters. Had every skill in the book and every injury known to sports science.
He didn't just have a medical file - he had his own cabinet. He made Tom Williams look bullet proof.
We off-loaded him to Melbourne where he'd be closer to the Epworth where they kept a room on call especially for him.
Did play a part in the chain of play that resulted in Billy the Kid kicking one of the greatest match winning goals ever seen at the G. And for that Adrian will forever remain in my memory as Son of the 'Scray.

merantau
24-08-2017, 02:09 PM
Dustin Martin?

Dustin Martin is a very good example of a player who's upped his tank considerably. My impression is he's a similar size to Jake.

Mofra
24-08-2017, 02:18 PM
Dustin Martin is a very good example of a player who's upped his tank considerably. My impression is he's a similar size to Jake.
Dusty ran a better than good beep test at the draft combine, but yes he does have burst speed and endurance.
Caleb's not bad either, accelerates quickly and has elite endurance.

KT31
24-08-2017, 02:59 PM

2017 the year that keeps giving.

S Coast Simon
24-08-2017, 03:35 PM
Stringer stays for nine he is a one who in a generation type player. Only young with a difficult home transition going on. He along with everyone else will very easily improve 10 -20% in the off season. It seems like a whole club issue. We are not experienced in winning that far in September so will have learned a hell of a lot regarding pre season training. We seemed underdone for the first half the season. Always lording in the last quarter. It is talked about how a player never really catches up after missing heaps of the preseason. Well we unfortunately as a club missed a fair bit from our normal training. The club will learn and have a huge preseason. I'm very excited to see what we come up with next year. We will be back

merantau
24-08-2017, 05:28 PM
Wee Georgie Bisset won once with 21 goals and Kevin Jackman with 16 but that was back in the 60s. Someone will know for sure. I'd say our points for has taken a big tumble this year. Very frustrating year.
Adrian Campbell could have been anything but ended up as footnote in the memory banks of old time supporters. Had every skill in the book and every injury known to sports science.
He didn't just have a medical file - he had his own cabinet. He made Tom Williams look bullet proof.
We off-loaded him to Melbourne where he'd be closer to the Epworth where they kept a room on call especially for him.
Did play a part in the chain of play that resulted in Billy the Kid kicking one of the greatest match winning goals ever seen at the G. And for that Adrian will forever remain in my memory as Son of the 'Scray.

George won the goal kicking with 16. Kevin Jackman (ex-Tottenham Tech) booted 28 in 1966.

HOSE B ROMERO
24-08-2017, 07:36 PM
Ah yes, Adrian Campbell. Bad knees. At one stage we had lot of 'potential' gun forwards: Campbell, Johnny Balantyne, Danny DelRe and Phil O'Keefe. jB did ok at the pies, Danny had a great '92, Campbell to the Dees and i think Phil ended up back at local footy.

Bulldog4life
25-08-2017, 12:42 AM

In the late 60's I remember Merv Hobbs and EJ tying for the goalkicking at either 16 or 18 goals each.

Bulldog4life
25-08-2017, 01:07 AM
George won the goal kicking with 16. Kevin Jackman (ex-Tottenham Tech) booted 28 in 1966.

Yes I was wrong about EJ and Merv Hobbs winning goalkicking it was Wee Georgie and Merv Hobbs winning jointly in 1963 with 16. Both were rovers

jeemak
25-08-2017, 02:09 AM
Through injury over the past two years and serious fitness or conditioning shortfalls, Stringer is in some ways a victim of our own ball movement which is poor, and a change in how defenders set up across the ground over recent times. In addition, I think he has some serious mental issues which affect how he approaches each contest, in each game.

I struggle to understand how a man of his physical and intimidating presence can have such a small impact on a game so regularly, and as a five year veteran of the AFL, not know that running, doing the hard things and doing them often is the way to remove himself from the two year malaise he's apparently working through.

It genuinely baffles me.

merantau
25-08-2017, 04:31 PM
Yes I was wrong about EJ and Merv Hobbs winning goalkicking it was Wee Georgie and Merv Hobbs winning jointly in 1963 with 16. Both were rovers
1963 - that was a miserable year. I saw Merv Hobbs kick 7 against South at the Western Oval.
We had another very good rover who had a brief career with us in the 60s - Graeme "Pudden" Chalmers. He left us to become an airline pilot.

Bulldog4life
25-08-2017, 05:36 PM
1963 - that was a miserable year. I saw Merv Hobbs kick 7 against South at the Western Oval.
We had another very good rover who had a brief career with us in the 60s - Graeme "Pudden" Chalmers. He left us to become an airline pilot.

Yes I liked Pudden too. A local Spotty boy. Played more seconds games I think.

HOSE B ROMERO
25-08-2017, 05:57 PM
Enjoying the 60's talk fella's. Just before my time. Aware of guys like Whitten, Schulz, Bisset & Hobbs. No doubt there were other good players although they seemed like a pretty ordinary decade for the dogs.

Ozza
26-08-2017, 11:51 AM
So i think we finish with Picko and Jake sharing the goal kicking award with 24 each.

merantau
01-09-2017, 04:34 PM
24 goals - I saw Simon Beasley kick 12 in an afternoon against Geelong.
We badly need to improve our forward line.

Twodogs
01-09-2017, 05:53 PM
24 goals - I saw Simon Beasley kick 12 in an afternoon against Geelong.
We badly need to improve our forward line.

Saw Beazer kick 12 a couple of times I reckon.

Checked it out and it was 3 times, v Richmond, v Geelong and v Melbourne. Also 11 v Richmond and 10 v the Brissy Bears. Chuck in 3 bags of 9 and I wonder what he's doing next year?

Jeanette54
07-09-2017, 05:24 PM
Yes I liked Pudden too. A local Spotty boy. Played more seconds games I think.

I remember Graeme Chalmers as one of the "Galahs", the touring team to Ireland. I believe that he was the goalkeeper for the team, and a very good one too.

GVGjr
10-09-2017, 08:56 AM
Plough has a look at Stringers value Stringer (https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/09/07/plough-what-stringer-is-worth/)

Former Western Bulldogs and Richmond coach Terry Wallace says Jake Stringer still has value as a footballer and can be used as a good bargaining tool for the Dogs.

"He's a valuable commodity," he told SEN's Hungry For Sport.

"He's worth an early first round pick, but if it's a late round first year pick, a club would have to offer something else in my opinion. He's going to go straight into a footy club and have a difference. Clubs would be jumping over themselves to get to him.

"He was dropped in their premiership year but was also their leading goalkicker (42 goals), he's a former first round draft pick at the right age. I've got a feeling he will go."

The premiership star kicked five goals in the last eight games of a disappointing season for the reigning premiers. The 23-year-old still has a year to go on his contract.

I think it will be very hard to get an early pick for Stringer but there might be a club or two desperate to land an excitement machine like Stringer.

GVGjr
10-09-2017, 08:58 AM
Another one from SEN

The case for, and against, trading Stringer (https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/09/06/the-case-for-and-against-trading-stringer/)

Former champions Garry Lyon and Tim Watson have argued the merits in favour, and against, a potential trade involving Western Bulldogs forward Jake Stringer.

Damian Barrett reported on The Footy Show last night that the Bulldogs and Stringer have grown frustrated with one another, and the 2016 premiers could explore a trade for the 2015 All-Australian. Additionally, Barrett also reported rival clubs are starting to put packages together for Stringer, and Lyon believes the Dogs should listen to all offers.

“I would be taking inquiries [on Stringer],” he told SEN Breakfast.

“He has yet to demonstrate the required mental aptitude which would suggest he is a top-10 pick. You’re exploring your options. You look at it and say, ok, if there is someone on the marketplace that has a higher opinion of Jake, or is prepare to pay a price that we can’t knock back, then you have to explore those avenues.”

However, Watson disagreed, saying Stringer is too good of a footballer to give up on at the age of 23.

“I am surprised…I can’t believe they might even be considering moving him,” the four-time Essendon best and fairest winner said.

“This bloke is an All-Australian, a natural talent. At his best, and while it’s true we haven’t seen enough of it, he is a match winner. He is a game changer and they don’t grow on trees.

“I’m a huge fan of Luke Beveridge, but maybe Stringer has exhausted his patience, maybe he isn’t buying into the team-first philosophy. Stringer can appear to play in a bubble at times; making the appearance he is more concerned with his self, rather than the team.

“However, we are talking about a team that struggled in the front half this season, and a team that doesn’t take a direct route to goal. I don’t think he is a flash in the pan and I don’t think he is a one hit wonder. His consistent best is yet to come and there are better days ahead for him.”

ledge
10-09-2017, 10:06 AM
Man up prove Bevo wrong and stay I rekon.

KT31
10-09-2017, 10:12 AM
Man up prove Bevo wrong and stay I rekon.

Not sure its in his character, I don't know Jake at all but from all reports humility doesn't seem to be one of his traits.

ledge
10-09-2017, 12:43 PM
Not sure its in his character, I don't know Jake at all but from all reports humility doesn't seem to be one of his traits.

Could say the same about stevie J and Ablett junior, it took one good hard reality check, I think it's about maturing and taking constructive criticism and using it to get the best out of yourself.
Coaches don't tell you the honest truth to make you give in they do it to make you improve so I'm sure the exit interview would have been hard but looking forward one and the errors you are making.
It must be frustrating for the club and Bevo to know the talent he has and to let it slide .. Surely he can see it as a positive.

josie
10-09-2017, 03:25 PM
At vfl north port oval. Stringer and Hunter standing together leaning against grandstand wall. Looking pretty humble to me. I thanked them for 2016 and they both nodded acknowldedgment. I hope he stays and turns it around. Go Dogs!!

bornadog
10-09-2017, 03:30 PM
At vfl north port oval. Stringer and Hunter standing together leaning against grandstand wall. Looking pretty humble to me. I thanked them for 2016 and they both nodded acknowledgment. I hope he stays and turns it around. Go Dogs!!

You should have got on your hands and knees and begged him to stay. :D

bulldogtragic
10-09-2017, 04:03 PM
At vfl north port oval. Stringer and Hunter standing together leaning against grandstand wall. Looking pretty humble to me. I thanked them for 2016 and they both nodded acknowldedgment. I hope he stays and turns it around. Go Dogs!!

I was thinking if he was there today. That's a solid sign.

Bulldog4life
10-09-2017, 04:19 PM
I was thinking if he was there today. That's a solid sign.

In nearly all cases when a player leaves a club he remains mates with his team mates. I wouldn't read anything into Jake being there.

ratsmac
10-09-2017, 07:40 PM
In nearly all cases when a player leaves a club he remains mates with his team mates. I wouldn't read anything into Jake being there.

Although to front up where he would of known there would of been TV cameras and a plethora of bulldogs supporters asking questions is definitely positive.

W W Biscuit
11-09-2017, 04:57 AM
Although to front up where he would of known there would of been TV cameras and a plethora of bulldogs supporters asking questions is definitely positive.

A plethora? Do you know what a plethora is?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyBUMntP6DI

Twodogs
11-09-2017, 05:39 AM
A plethora? Do you know what a plethora is?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyBUMntP6DI

OMG! WW Biscuit!

The man, the poster, the legend.

ledge
11-09-2017, 06:21 PM

Yeah and I'm liking who he is hanging with, Hunter and Wallis , two born and bred bulldogs, I would bet my gajoondies they are a positive influence on him staying.
A golf game with Mitch Wallis would be one good honest 2 hour chat about the exit interview and letting it all out, Mitch being who he is would have said just be more dedicated mate, take it all in and get your act together.

always right
11-09-2017, 07:30 PM
I remember saying to my son (on more than one occasion) that Stringer is one of those rare players that comes along every so often. They can do anything, making the ridiculous look easy.......and he's ours. I know he's had a couple of ordinary seasons but I don't think I could put up with him doing the ridiculous against us in the future. I hope this turns out best for all parties....when he's on, footy is so much fun.

Ozza
11-09-2017, 08:07 PM
I remember saying to my son (on more than one occasion) that Stringer is one of those rare players that comes along every so often. They can do anything, making the ridiculous look easy.......and he's ours. I know he's had a couple of ordinary seasons but I don't think I could put up with him doing the ridiculous against us in the future. I hope this turns out best for all parties....when he's on, footy is so much fun.

Was watching The Ride on the weekend.

In a way, it was hard to watch Stringer dominating, and also hard to watch him sitting with his family talking about how much he loves the club and never wants to leave.

Remi Moses
11-09-2017, 08:09 PM
W.W biscuit ! Wow !

W W Biscuit
12-09-2017, 09:21 AM
OMG! WW Biscuit!

The man, the poster, the legend.

Hehehe, you're too kind 2D. I'll now crawl back underneath my rock ;)

Twodogs
12-09-2017, 10:38 AM
Hehehe, you're too kind 2D. I'll now crawl back underneath my rock ;)

I don't think I've ever been called "too kind" before...

cinder
13-09-2017, 08:04 PM
There is some HS article with Beverage confirming Jake will be going if a suitable trade can be found. I'm out at the moment but hopefully someone else can link it.