PDA

View Full Version : Western Bulldogs Membership 2018 - Operation 50,000

Eastdog
09-09-2017, 12:09 AM
It is still early but by the time the 2017 season comes to an end in a few weeks a lot will start renewing for 2018.

Can we get 50,000 despite a poor 2017 season?

2018 membership updates to be posted here

Go Bulldogs!!

1eyedog
09-09-2017, 12:14 AM
We will be lucky to get 40k Easty to be honest. It's been the worst year since the early Rhode years.

Eastdog
09-09-2017, 12:20 AM
We will be lucky to get 40k Easty to be honest. It's been the worst year since the early Rhode years.

Yes will be a challenge 1eyedog to get 50,000 but now that would be the aim after getting between 47-48K this year that though coming off the 2016 premiership success so now the challenge to get to that level again and more coming off in a year we didn't make finals. Will be dissapointing if we don't get 40K.

Remi Moses
09-09-2017, 12:30 AM

I know we had a disappointing year, but that's a stretch by a long way

bulldogtragic
09-09-2017, 01:07 AM
Unless we can sign a big name or two, we will be lucky to get to 40,000. If we were to lose a kids/fan favourite in Stringer and not get a suitably good deal and sell it well, we might lose some kids from becoming long tormented members additionally. We are going to lose members, the question is just how many and if they're 3 game types or big dollar membership types.

Danny the snakeman
09-09-2017, 01:20 AM
Definately won't get 45k imo , I'd say a few on the social club wait list will be happy as i imagine a few SC members might drop that addition off also.(tho it won't hurt us with so many on wait list)

Eastdog
09-09-2017, 01:23 AM
I'd say a few on the social club wait list will be happy as i imagine a few might drop that addition off also.

That could happen although a lot may keep the social club add on still in the hope of a great 2018 season.

BulldogBelle
09-09-2017, 09:05 AM
We will be lucky to get to 43K.
We will need to start the year off with a bang to get some of our members to resign again.

GVGjr
09-09-2017, 09:15 AM
We will be lucky to get to 43K.
We will need to start the year off with a bang to get some of our members to resign again.
43K is still a fair number. I'd say there is enough hope and faith with our supporters to keep people signing up.
Even if we lose 10% then we can recover that easily the following year.

It's not doom and gloom, it's more of a missed opportunity.

ledge
09-09-2017, 09:52 AM
I guess it depends how the club sells it next year, a good positive message with a catchy quote is a must, we need to be different to the norm in some way also and keeping stringer and adding years to Bonts contract would help.
Hopefully a lot who signed on last year are bulldogs for life and the membership automatically comes out of their bank.
I would predict about 43000 to 45000 . A drop is a certainty especially if a side like the tigers win the flag, a new club for fair weathers to run to.

Bulldog4life
09-09-2017, 10:26 AM
Forever the optimist i am hoping most supporters hang tough and that our Ballarat membership grows. Not impossible by any means.

1eyedog
09-09-2017, 12:18 PM

I doubt it. Low 40s would be amazing tbh.

Flamethrower
09-09-2017, 12:24 PM
After reading some of the pessimistic posts on various fan forums, you would think we were better off revisiting the Fitzroy merger.

Our motto for next season: Operation 50 Thousand

GVGjr
09-09-2017, 01:00 PM
Forever the optomist i am hoping most supporters hang tough and that our Ballarat membership grows. Not impossible by any means.

Same here, sure we missed a chance to continue the momentum but I think we cam limit damages and it isn't a huge issue.

The Underdog
09-09-2017, 01:15 PM

Yeah, Beveridge didn't get appointed because things were going amazingly well. An incredible low point came two years before a premiership. I get that this year was incredibly disappointing but let's not slit our wrists just yet.

Hotdog60
09-09-2017, 01:37 PM
The early games next year will have a big on how the membership goes.
If we come out firing and present a promising game style the fence sitters will forget last year and get back on board.
Start out with more of the same and we will take a dip.

Eastdog
09-09-2017, 02:16 PM
Our motto for next season: Operation 50 Thousand

I like it the number-word combo.

bornadog
09-09-2017, 03:38 PM
If we don't get either the same or more members then our supporters are weak as water. The population of Melbourne has grown tremendously over the past 5 years and we should have a bigger slice of the pie.

Eastdog
09-09-2017, 04:39 PM
If we don't get either the same or more members then our supporters are weak as water. The population of Melbourne has grown tremendously over the past 5 years and we should have a bigger slice of the pie.

Yes very true BAD. Melbourne's population has grown significantly over a number of years and that I think this has played a part in us breaking our membership records. I nowadays see more Bulldog member stickers around than ever before.

Ozza
11-09-2017, 01:01 AM

Agree with this.

I don't see a scenario where we have less than 45K...but think it will be closer to 47-48K.

If we are comparing ourselves to Hawthorn 2009 (missing the finals defending a premiership) - they increased their membership in 2010 and 2011. Attendances will likely be a little lower, but I doubt memberships will drop off significantly.

azabob
11-09-2017, 01:22 PM
Will we suddenly lose all our prime time slots again? Richmond and Essendon will get a lot based on their season.

Danny the snakeman
11-09-2017, 01:30 PM
Will we suddenly lose all our prime time slots again? Richmond and Essendon will get a lot based on their season.

Unfortunately id say so.

always right
11-09-2017, 02:16 PM

I wouldn't have thought so based on just one ordinary year. Might lose one or two at most.

bulldogtragic
11-09-2017, 02:29 PM

I'm concerned about how we played these games, independent of the season. We didn't, for the most part, play exciting footy that would force AFEL house into giving us near the same again next year. I hope we can keep the Easter game ongoing, but again that was not a good game of footy despite a close result. But in the end it comes down to dollars. If they think we will rate well, we will be fine. On the other hand...

bulldogsthru&thru
11-09-2017, 02:41 PM

Make no mistake, we will be back into the doldrums of Sunday evening football. I'd be surprised if we had more than 1, maybe 2 Friday night games. This is the AFEL. Any opportunity to push us aside will be taken.

Ozza
11-09-2017, 03:11 PM
I'm concerned about how we played these games, independent of the season. We didn't, for the most part, play exciting footy that would force AFEL house into giving us near the same again next year. I hope we can keep the Easter game ongoing, but again that was not a good game of footy despite a close result. But in the end it comes down to dollars. If they think we will rate well, we will be fine. On the other hand...

I don't think this is completely accurate. Although we didn't have a great year, and had some games that didn't turn out well, we were still involved in some of the seasons most exciting matches during prime time.

The Sydney game was a belter (round 2)
Good Friday was a success (albeit a poor first half that turned into a great finish)
GWS game on the Friday night round 6 was raved about.
5 point win v Richmond in round 7 on a Saturday night where Bont and Dusty were best on.
Even the Friday night at Kardinia park - we led at 3 quarter time and it had been an exciting game.

I think we are still very watchable - it is just hard to see that as supporters because we are too invested in the result and get more frustrated by mistakes or leaking goals.

bornadog
11-09-2017, 03:13 PM
I don't think this is completely accurate. Although we didn't have a great year, and had some games that didn't turn out well, we were still involved in some of the seasons most exciting matches during prime time.

The Sydney game was a belter (round 2)
Good Friday was a success (albeit a poor first half that turned into a great finish)
GWS game on the Friday night round 6 was raved about.
5 point win v Richmond in round 7 on a Saturday night where Bont and Dusty were best on.
Even the Friday night at Kardinia park - we led at 3 quarter time and it had been an exciting game.

I think we are still very watchable - it is just hard to see that as supporters because we are too invested in the result and get more frustrated by mistakes or leaking goals.

Essendon game was very exciting with free flowing footy and a shootout.

boydogs
11-09-2017, 08:03 PM
Our Friday nights will go through the floor - we had 8 this year, I'd expect 2 or 3 in 2018, which isn't that bad but 8 is heaps

KT31
12-09-2017, 12:19 AM
After a crap season, potential Stringer loss, talek of Dahl trade I can't see us getting more than 40K

bornadog
12-09-2017, 12:21 AM
Our Friday nights will go through the floor - we had 8 this year, I'd expect 2 or 3 in 2018, which isn't that bad but 8 is heaps

With Good Friday and the last game we ended up with 9 Friday nights and a Thursday night. Unfortunately only 2 were home games.

boydogs
12-09-2017, 02:07 PM
With Good Friday and the last game we ended up with 9 Friday nights and a Thursday night. Unfortunately only 2 were home games.

I counted R23 but Good Friday was twilight

bornadog
12-09-2017, 03:25 PM
I counted R23 but Good Friday was twilight

Still Friday ;)

Eastdog
15-09-2017, 10:36 PM

Only 2 Friday night home games this year a lot of Friday night games away from home and most of us were watching on the TV at home for those games.

Becc
16-09-2017, 02:44 AM
Will say a lot about our supporter base if they drop off...#Fake

The Adelaide Connection
17-09-2017, 03:11 AM

I couldn't believe this when I saw the fixture- it was a huge backhander. Sure from a marketing perspective it gave us great exposure, but to be almost all away games was just crap. Worse still, the two home games were against interstate clubs and one was the extremely poor pulling GWS.

Eastdog
17-09-2017, 06:46 PM
Was out and about today and I saw 3 cars with Doggies stickers on them. Hopefully they will all be on board in 2018.

Becc
18-09-2017, 12:34 PM
Will be disappointed if we don't break even... Will say a lot about some if they do not renew.. We need to stick fat, have faith Bevo and the boys will turn it around next year...#Realstrenght#Go Dogs

S Coast Simon
18-09-2017, 05:03 PM
I agree it was a kick from the powers above. Only two of our Friday night games at home. The AFL needs to get rid of the boys club attitude. If they want a national competition they must get real about it. Way to much manipulation going into the fixtures these days they are losing the integrity of the game in the pursuit of the dollar

Twodogs
21-09-2017, 10:51 AM
I agree it was a kick from the powers above. Only two of our Friday night games at home. The AFL needs to get rid of the boys club attitude. If they want a national competition they must get real about it. Way to much manipulation going into the fixtures these days they are losing the integrity of the game in the pursuit of the dollar

The game doesn't have integrity.

Eastdog
21-09-2017, 01:56 PM
Got my 2018 WB member renewal email yesterday.

How many do you reckon will get signed up before Christmas? A lot of the early membership tally will be automatic rollover Bulldog for life.

ledge
21-09-2017, 02:49 PM
Got my 2018 WB member renewal email yesterday.

How many do you reckon will get signed up before Christmas? A lot of the early membership tally will be automatic rollover Bulldog for life.

And Christmas presents

cinder
21-09-2017, 04:00 PM
I was at WO today and chatting to the receptionist and she was saying some members have revoked their memberships due to the club's stance on SSM :/ I guess there was always going to be controversy.

bornadog
21-09-2017, 04:54 PM
I was at WO today and chatting to the receptionist and she was saying some members have revoked their memberships due to the club's stance on SSM :/ I guess there was always going to be controversy.

We don't need supporters like that.

ledge
21-09-2017, 05:24 PM

Just childish really , clubs have no option but to support it when they play a game for gay pride.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
21-09-2017, 05:24 PM
And Christmas presents

I give memberships as Christmas presents too it's the gift that keeps on giving

Eastdog
21-09-2017, 08:20 PM
And Christmas presents

Absolutely

Eastdog
21-09-2017, 08:24 PM

Dissapointing to hear that. It doesn't matter what your views are we all have one thing in common and that is our love for the Bulldogs so we should not let that get in the way. Politics and sport are not a good combination and I understand why we don't discuss politics on WOOF.

cinder
21-09-2017, 10:57 PM
Dissapointing to hear that. It doesn't matter what your views are we all have one thing in common and that is our love for the Bulldogs so we should not let that get in the way. Politics and sport are not a good combination and I understand why we don't discuss politics on WOOF.

Very well put! Agree!

KT31
21-09-2017, 11:32 PM

If it was Glennis, she a bloody legend and Doggies life member.
Not that we should loose members for eitherreason but really thought we would loose more because of our stance on Stringer than SSM.

Ozza
21-09-2017, 11:46 PM
Its convenient to 'revoke' your membership after a poor year....wonder if the same "supporters" would have revoked their membership if the issue came up this time last year.

azabob
22-09-2017, 07:18 AM

Serious?

josie
22-09-2017, 07:42 AM
Sad but true. It's an across club, equality issue for goodness sake! Watch them be upset if we make the GF again because they do not have first preference to tickets. An observation I have made is those of us who have friends or have seen happily married same sex partners and same sex good parents have more understanding. Anyhow, back on topic-the ones that sign up this year are more RWB and I think will be rewarded with a good 2018 on the field. Such a strong statement by Gary Kent and the understanding no one player is bigger than the club I predict we will reach 40k plus.

cinder
22-09-2017, 11:06 AM
If it was Glennis, she a bloody legend and Doggies life member.
Not that we should loose members for eitherreason but really thought we would loose more because of our stance on Stringer than SSM.

Yep Glenys. Sometimes I fill in for her on the front desk ... but not for a month or so.

KT31
22-09-2017, 02:47 PM
Yep Glenys. Sometimes I fill in for her on the front desk ... but not for a month or so.

Say hi from me, I used to work at the same company her in a pervious life.
When down a couple of months back I normally stop at reception and have a chat to her, on this day she wasn't about and if I had known it might have been you I would have stopped and said hello.

bornadog
22-09-2017, 02:58 PM
Say hi from me, I used to work at the same company her in a pervious life.
When down a couple of months back I normally stop at reception and have a chat to her, on this day she wasn't about and if I had known it might have been you I would have stopped and said hello.

If Cinder is not on reception, you will find her in the Bulldogs Shop. :D:D:D:D

cinder
22-09-2017, 03:32 PM
If Cinder is not on reception, you will find her in the Bulldogs Shop. :D:D:D:D

Indeed! 2nd home!

Yeah so on Fridays they have someone from the community foundation doing it over her lunch break, that's what I've been helping out with so they get me to do reception if I can. It's awesome!

Other days someone from other departments do it, such as membership, etc.

Eastdog
22-09-2017, 07:59 PM
Indeed! 2nd home!

Yeah so on Fridays they have someone from the community foundation doing it over her lunch break, that's what I've been helping out with so they get me to do reception if I can. It's awesome!

Other days someone from other departments do it, such as membership, etc.

Great work cinder. Yeah recently been to the Whitten Oval to see some VFL games and really know the ground very well now. It is great coming in from West Footscray station. Enjoyed having something to eat at the Barkers Cafe and also got a traditional old school VB can.

Eastdog
26-10-2017, 08:44 PM
Renewed my membership for the 2018 season. Proud being on board again for another year. This is my 6th year coming up as a Western Bulldogs member and my 3rd year part of the EJ Whitten Social Club.

Go Dogs!

cinder
26-10-2017, 08:59 PM
Renewed my membership for the 2018 season. Proud being on board again for another year. This is my 6th year coming up as a Western Bulldogs member and my 3rd year part of the EJ Whitten Social Club.

Go Dogs!

Nice. I am keen to hear when the SC function is going to be announced, we usually hear round about now. I'm going away for a week in December and knowing my luck it will clash. I rung the club but they still don't know.

Eastdog
26-10-2017, 11:59 PM
Nice. I am keen to hear when the SC function is going to be announced, we usually hear round about now. I'm going away for a week in December and knowing my luck it will clash. I rung the club but they still don't know.

I think the club will send an email invite out to all social club members. I reckon sometime in the first part of November it will be announced.

Eastdog
15-11-2017, 08:38 PM
Wondering if anyone knows so far what our membership tally is?

I rang the club yesterday and they said the membership packs should arrive before Christmas for those who have renewed.

Once again will be on Level 1 Aisle 33 - hopefully we will be celebrating a lot of victories in 2018.

Go Dogs!

Eastdog
20-11-2017, 03:03 PM
Western Bulldogs 30 days of giveaways in November for WB members who have already renewed for 2018.

https://30daysofgiveaways.com.au/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=30days&utm_content=day1

Eastdog
23-12-2017, 04:42 PM
I think we have around 31,000 members signed up for 2018 so far according to the email from the club with the Christmas message. A record breaking 31K.

GVGjr
23-12-2017, 05:15 PM
I think we have around 31,000 members signed up for 2018 so far according to the email from the club with the Christmas message. A record breaking 31K.

I certainly didn't predict this level of support. It's a great base to build on and even if we just get close to last years number it's going to be a very strong position for our club. We are now in a strong financial position, an exciting women's team and with some new leadership off field and an increasing level of corporate support we just need a strong start to the season to really kick start another phase for the club.

I'm already a little bit excited for next season.

Eastdog
23-12-2017, 05:18 PM
Yeah for sure GVGjr.

Another 19K we need to reach 50,000 members.

Twodogs
24-12-2017, 12:23 PM
I certainly didn't predict this level of support. It's a great base to build on and even if we just get close to last years number it's going to be a very strong position for our club. We are now in a strong financial position, an exciting women's team and with some new leadership off field and an increasing level of corporate support we just need a strong start to the season to really kick start another phase for the club.

I'm already a little bit excited for next season.

The AFL will keep punishing us I reckon. They hate us because we took out the two AFL sanctioned teams in GWS and Sydney on our way to the 2016 flag and they have been taking potshots at us ever since. Look at the MRP rulings, prejudiced against us much? Rule changes-eliminate all the stuff we are good at (third man up, etc.), I am willing to bet the other tennant clubs at Docklands get a better deal at our expense as well.

Get ready because they are really going to savage us next year. 2017 will seem like a walk in the park compared to what the AFL have in store for us in 2018. We really annoyed them last year.

westbulldog
24-12-2017, 01:09 PM
Then we will continue to annoy them, continue to beat the plastics and go from success to success, Merry Xmas all woofers.

Eastdog
24-12-2017, 08:42 PM
Put my new 2018 Doggies member sticker on my car the bigger one proudly displayed.

Twodogs
24-12-2017, 10:49 PM
Then we will continue to annoy them, continue to beat the plastics and go from success to success, Merry Xmas all woofers.

My attitude too. We take that anger and frustration and spite that the AFL are only too willing to shower us with and we own it, we make it ours and we revel in it. Our motto should be "If the AFL have a problem with something then whatever it is that's bothering them is alright by us."

Eastdog
25-12-2017, 06:58 PM
My attitude too. We take that anger and frustration and spite that the AFL are only too willing to shower us with and we own it, we make it ours and we revel in it. Our motto should be "If the AFL have a problem with something then whatever it is that's bothering them is alright by us."

I like that attitude Twodogs.

Twodogs
25-12-2017, 07:16 PM
I like that attitude Twodogs.

It's you and me against the world Easty!

Eastdog
25-12-2017, 07:17 PM
It's you and me against the world Easty!

:D:D

Bulldog comrades fighting against the AFL establishment.

Bulldog4life
25-12-2017, 09:23 PM

Plus Peter Gotdon too. Check out his last 2 paragraphs of his editorial in the recent Bulldog Magazine. Pete is on the warpath again. I love it

Twodogs
26-12-2017, 01:12 AM

I reckon the last person who called me comrade was Gough Whitlam, you keep good company Easty.

HOSE B ROMERO
26-12-2017, 05:44 PM

I'd sure like to squeeze that last line on to a t-shirt TD. ;)

HOSE B ROMERO
26-12-2017, 05:48 PM

31000 already? After last season, i expected our membership could drop 5000 to 42000. Providing the criteria is still the same, i would be mightily impressed if we hit the 47k again.

GVGjr
26-12-2017, 05:51 PM
31000 already? After last season, i expected our membership could drop 5000 to 42000. Providing the criteria is still the same, i would be mightily impressed if we hit the 47k again.

We've got off to a flyer and I'm hoping we are still ahead come the end of January. If we can just hold last years numbers we would have done very well.

Eastdog
26-12-2017, 08:26 PM

Great chance to get to 47K again so far based on the numbers. I reckon will get a high membership figure again despite a poor 2017. Need a strong 2018 season to really consolidate it into the next year.

Hotdog60
26-12-2017, 11:56 PM
I think we need to show some good positive signs in the JTL series and start the first few rounds off with a flyer.
If we can show the supporters out there that this year was just a blip in a developing young side then we may well crack that 50 grand mark.
Ideally if Josh can look good early and get something brewing with Tom and between them get a double figure score I think the numbers will keep on the improve. That other X factor fella will all but be forgotten.

bornadog
19-01-2018, 12:18 PM

last year same time was 32,397

Eastdog
19-01-2018, 12:42 PM

last year same time was 32,397

Tracking fairly well.

bornadog
19-01-2018, 12:44 PM
Tracking fairly well.

Not really Eastie, down on last year or around about the same. If we are going to hit 50k, we need to be rending up.

Eastdog
19-01-2018, 12:46 PM
Not really Eastie, down on last year or around about the same. If we are going to hit 50k, we need to be rending up.

Yeah maybe I was a bit too optimistic there with the current figure. Do you reckon will get to 47K again?

Twodogs
19-01-2018, 01:04 PM
Yeah maybe I was a bit too optimistic there with the current figure. Do you reckon will get to 47K again?

It depends on how generous Peter Gordon is feeling I guess.

bornadog
19-01-2018, 01:12 PM

Unfortunately with our fickle supporters, may depend on winning the first few games.

Twodogs
19-01-2018, 01:37 PM
Unfortunately with our fickle supporters, may depend on winning the first few games.

How did we get a reputation for having fickle supporters? (Rhetorical question) If you were going to pick a team and then make your support dependent upon results, with all due respect to us and everything, we are the last team you'd pick on the basis of our reliability and consistency!

I know that our suppoerters typically will sign in droves if we win our first couple of games. I just don't understand why.

Eastdog
19-01-2018, 01:50 PM
How did we get a reputation for having fickle supporters? (Rhetorical question) If you were going to pick a team and then make your support dependent upon results, with all due respect to us and everything, we are the last team you'd pick on the basis of our reliability and consistency!

I know that our suppoerters typically will sign in droves if we win our first couple of games. I just don't understand why.

It has been said a lot before but we really need to support our team in good times and bad times. Our members are so important - it's what makes our club. Yes it was down year last year coming off winning the flag and all of us were dissapoinnted but there now is a lot to look forward with our list particularly the key acquisitions we got in the trade and draft periods.

Webby
19-01-2018, 03:41 PM
This "fickle" thing is relative. All of Carlton, Collingwood and even Hawthorn have massive drop offs during bad times. Carlton have 55,000 odd members at present, yet would easily have 80,000 if they were contending.

Similarly, Collingwood dropped right off in the years when they were in the wooden spoon mix. I wouldn't be too hard on our supporters for being particularly fickle. In fact, I think the opposite is the case.

bornadog
19-01-2018, 05:02 PM
I will show you fickle:

http://images.performgroup.com/di/library/sportal_com_au/3/33/western-bulldogs-grand-final-reception_1cec46g22kkm1hrwocccgg2q5.jpg?t=-2095462641&h=600

Grand Final Parade, all I could see was RWB

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/09/30/07/38F1266600000578-3815212-image-a-64_1475217273681.jpg

On Grand final day, the dominant colours were RWB

https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/western-bulldogs-pllayers-line-up-for-the-national-anthem-before-the-picture-id611706644?s=612x612

Yet only 5000 extra members signed up in 2017, yet all the people attending the parade, the GF and the Sunday when will they put their hands in their pockets.

Webby
19-01-2018, 05:14 PM
I've just pulled some numbers.

Our membership has only dropped off twice in the 2000's. Once was in 2000, itself, when we dipped 12% from 1999. We had a second dip in 2004 of 9%. Our biggest increase was 2017 when a premiership brought a 19% increase.

Compare this to St Kilda, who dropped a whopping 20% between 2001 & 02. They then increased an incredible 34% in 2003 and followed it up with another 29% increase the following year... now THAT's fickle!

We've increased our membership by 412% since 1992. Richmond have managed 791%, Essendon 575%, Norf 563%, Swans 1,848%...

bornadog
19-01-2018, 05:23 PM
I've just pulled some numbers.

Our membership has only dropped off twice in the 2000's. Once was in 2000, itself, when we dipped 12% from 1999. We had a second dip in 2004 of 9%. Our biggest increase was 2017 when a premiership brought a 19% increase.

Compare this to St Kilda, who dropped a whopping 20% between 2001 & 02. They then increased an incredible 34% in 2003 and followed it up with another 29% increase the following year... now THAT's fickle!

We've increased our membership by 412% since 1992. Richmond have managed 791%, Essendon 575%, Norf 563%, Swans 1,848%...

I am looking at pure numbers not percentages. We should have a membership base of at least 50k plus, but we will struggle to match last year. I hope I am wrong.

Eastdog
19-01-2018, 06:23 PM
Time will tell. There might be a surge at some point and that could accelerate it and give us a chance for 50K.

GVGjr
19-01-2018, 07:54 PM

It all depends on how we start the season and we will sway anyone sitting on the fence.
To me 45K plus is a good outcome. If it takes until 2019 to hit the 50K mark then that is OK with me but obviously I'd like to see that happen this year. Match attendances are the better measure.

Webby
19-01-2018, 09:15 PM
I am looking at pure numbers not percentages. We should have a membership base of at least 50k plus, but we will struggle to match last year. I hope I am wrong.

But I just don't quite get what you base your numbers on. Is it simply a gut feel?
We only cracked the 40k barrier for the first time last year, and we nudged 48k with a 22% membership surge on the back of a flag.

St Kilda and Melbourne also cracked 40k for the first time, whilst all three of us went past Norf - who dropped close to 5k. Go back 30 years to 1987 and you'll see that we had 3,452 members, Norf 3,430, Dees 3,122 & Aints 3,924. You could always have thrown a blanket over those four clubs. Nothing has changed. Then, Carlton, Collingwood and Essendon had between 8,200 and 9,500 between them in '87.

So, let's say roughly 3.5k average for us and our peers back then and about 8.8k average for the big three.

Fast forward to today, and you'd call it about 43k average for our group and a 74k average for the big three (who are now Hawthorn, Collingwood and Richmond.)

If anything, the smaller clubs have bridged the proportional gap to the bigger clubs. 30 years ago we had about 40% of the membership levels of the biggest clubs, whilst today it's about 60%.

But if these figures prove anything, we've never had big numbers, we've slightly outperformed our peers, we're not that big, we're not fickle, and our supporters aren't hiding anywhere.

bornadog
19-01-2018, 10:37 PM
Webby, mine is a gut feel based on the number of people that attended the grandfinal parade. The unofficial attendance was something like 180,000 (according to the Lord Major), from what I could see, RWB dominated the day. Where are these people?

Webby
20-01-2018, 08:55 AM
Webby, mine is a gut feel based on the number of people that attended the grandfinal parade. The unofficial attendance was something like 180,000 (according to the Lord Major), from what I could see, RWB dominated the day. Where are these people?

Absolutely every non-Swans supporter in the game was a Dogs fan for a week in 2016. I know of a couple of Hawthorn fans who actually bought and dressed in Bulldogs polos and hats for the GF. I kid you not.

Also, a lot of emigrated Dogs fans flew in from overseas and interstate. We've always hovered between 7th and 11th in Vic for membership and attendance numbers. Mostly between 9th & 11th.

It's nothing be be ashamed of. We're simply a smaller (albeit growing) club. I'm wary of this kind of frustrated self-loathing about us not being bigger. Although I admire the care and ambition, it's akin to a short guy hanging upside down in ankle stirrups, cursing himself for not being taller.

Our supporter base is what it is. Keep working hard as a club and performing on field and the opportunity to grow is there. It took Hawthorn 35 years of consistent success for them to make their way from the "small three" and into the "big three."

We've hopefully just begun.

Twodogs
20-01-2018, 09:00 AM
Absolutely every non-Swans supporter in the game was a Dogs fan for a week in 2016. I know of a couple of Hawthorn fans who actually bought and dressed in Bulldogs polos and hats for the GF. I kid you not.

Also, a lot of emigrated Dogs fans flew in from overseas and interstate. We've always hovered between 7th and 11th in Vic for membership and attendance numbers. Mostly between 9th & 11th.

It's nothing be be ashamed of. We're simply a smaller (albeit growing) club. I'm wary of this kind of frustrated self-loathing about us not being bigger. Although I admire the care and ambition, it's akin to a short guy hanging upside down in ankle stirrups, cursing himself for not being taller.

Our supporter base is what it is. Keep working hard as a club and performing on field and the opportunity to grow is there. It took Hawthorn 35 years of consistent success for them to make their way from the "small three" and into the "big three."

And even then it took a near death experience for them to start taking things seriously and organise themselves as a well organised, professional sporting club.

bornadog
20-01-2018, 05:41 PM

I am happy to be a small boutique club, but just find supporters frustrating, especially when you hear " well let's see how they go before I buy a membership".

Richmond are already sitting on 70,000 and will probably hit 90k this year. All I want is 50k before the season starts, but that won't happen.

PS: I could never wear the colours of another club. I remember my Hawks mate got tickets to one of their prelims a few years ago, and his daughter brought an extra scarf for me. I refused to wear it. :D

Webby
20-01-2018, 11:06 PM
And even then it took a near death experience for them to start taking things seriously and organise themselves as a well organised, professional sporting club.

Yep, I think the biggest ever year-on-year jump in membership numbers was Hawthorn from 1996 to 1997. Something like 113% in a year!

GVGjr
21-01-2018, 09:30 AM
I am happy to be a small boutique club, but just find supporters frustrating, especially when you hear " well let's see how they go before I buy a membership".

Richmond are already sitting on 70,000 and will probably hit 90k this year. All I want is 50k before the season starts, but that won't happen.

It's been that way for years and probably won't change much. The thing that could win them over is backing up good years consistently. I tend to think that had we made a decent run at it last year, as we should have, then the desperation to make sure members could get finals tickets would have us exceeding targets.

While the numbers might be down on ideal expectations I think coterie memberships are particularly strong and could max out quickly which is a good outcome for the club.

Yes it's a bit frustrating but if our membership levels hold and we keep making profits like the last two years we will be in good shape.

bornadog
21-01-2018, 12:04 PM
It's been that way for years and probably won't change much. The thing that could win them over is backing up good years consistently. I tend to think that had we made a decent run at it last year, as we should have, then the desperation to make sure members could get finals tickets would have us exceeding targets.

While the numbers might be down on ideal expectations I think coterie memberships are particularly strong and could max out quickly which is a good outcome for the club.

Yes it's a bit frustrating but if our membership levels hold and we keep making profits like the last two years we will be in good shape.

I think you are spot on with the earlier comment about attendance as well as above. The most important thing is to stay cash positive and continue thriving as a boutique club of the West. The work the club does with communities will reap big benefits in the future with young refugees and migrants from non-traditional nations beginning to take interest. #africangangs.

Twodogs
21-01-2018, 12:35 PM
I think you are spot on with the earlier comment about attendance as well as above. The most important thing is to stay cash positive and continue thriving as a boutique club of the West. The work the club does with communities will reap big benefits in the future with young refugees and migrants from non-traditional nations beginning to take interest. #africangangs.

Spot on with your African idea but I think North may have stolen a march with their leadership programs they are reaching out to multicultural groups with. It's a bit like China's soft diplomacy in Africa and the South Pacific North realised there was a potential to grow their membership amongst the Sudanese community and asked community leaders what they could do. The leaders said "show our boys positive role models and teach them how to interact socially please." North came up with this leadership program for youth and now I see lots of Sudanese kids wandering around Footscray wearing North caps. It breaks my heart, we won a flag less than two years and kids are wearing cow *!*!*!*!er caps in the streets of Footscray.

bornadog
21-01-2018, 04:44 PM
Spot on with your African idea but I think North may have stolen a march with their leadership programs they are reaching out to multicultural groups with. It's a bit like China's soft diplomacy in Africa and the South Pacific North realised there was a potential to grow their membership amongst the Sudanese community and asked community leaders what they could do. The leaders said "show our boys positive role models and teach them how to interact socially please." North came up with this leadership program for youth and now I see lots of Sudanese kids wandering around Footscray wearing North caps. It breaks my heart, we won a flag less than two years and kids are wearing cow *!*!*!*!er caps in the streets of Footscray.

We need to get on the front foot and start converting these guys.

Alot of the Sudanese kids are also into basketball, so there is a good start to, they play on our doorstep at VUWO:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DRTPw0GU8AAxTe8.jpg

When this comp started there were 4 teams, 14 years later there are 62 teams.

HOSE B ROMERO
23-01-2018, 06:16 PM

PS: I could never wear the colours of another club. I remember my Hawks mate got tickets to one of their prelims a few years ago, and his daughter brought an extra scarf for me. I refused to wear it. :D

Love your opinions BAD but please, please don't refer to us a a 'boutique' club. :eek:

Well done on refusing to wear the hawk scarf. Their offspring really need to be educated on more appropriate uses for their brown and yellow attire.

HOSE B ROMERO
23-01-2018, 06:17 PM
membership 32700.

HOSE B ROMERO
23-01-2018, 06:21 PM
Another thing when comparing membership figures to those of a couple of decades ago is that in the 80's there was only home game memberships. There was no 3 game m'ships, pet m'ships etc. And there was no scarf/hat/sticker included. Plus i think footy wasn't promoted anywhere like it is today. Definitely weren't many 'theatre goers' at the Western Oval in the 80's. :rolleyes: Ah, the good old days.....

Twodogs
25-01-2018, 11:10 AM

Opened my membership pack and spotted the picture of JJ and the African guy, you are right the club is doing some work.

bornadog
02-02-2018, 06:39 PM
http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/WesternBulldogs/Hero/2017_HERO/MEM0490-Membership-Tally-010218.jpg

Eastdog
02-02-2018, 09:08 PM
Opened my membership pack and spotted the picture of JJ and the African guy, you are right the club is doing some work.

We do some great stuff in our heartland. Read some very good things from our community work most notably from the Sons and Daugters of the West health programs.

Twodogs
02-02-2018, 09:12 PM
We do some great stuff in our heartland. Read some very good things from our community work most notably from the Sons and Daugters of the West health programs.

Sons of the West is a great program. They are spreading it outwards in all directions.

Eastdog
02-02-2018, 09:18 PM
Sons of the West is a great program. They are spreading it outwards in all directions.

Yep it has expanded to the country areas now. Would be cool eventually if all mancipalities were linked up to our training program.

Chicago1
04-02-2018, 06:41 PM
Haven't posted for a while. This is my 41st year of membership and I hope to go to most Melbourne matches depending on my health. My new cat, Zsa Zsa, became the 4th generation of my cats to become a pet member, following in the footsteps of the late Barry, the last Jordan and Lily who remained in the US when I moved back here.

Eastdog
04-02-2018, 08:13 PM
Great to have you back home Chicago1. We may bump into one another at the footy sometime this year.

merantau
05-02-2018, 07:27 PM
Haven't posted for a while. This is my 41st year of membership and I hope to go to most Melbourne matches depending on my health. My new cat, Zsa Zsa, became the 4th generation of my cats to become a pet member, following in the footsteps of the late Barry, the last Jordan and Lily who remained in the US when I moved back here.

Best wishes for a year of good health and plenty of Bulldog wins. This is my 43rd year of membership and I'm looking forward to a big year. Go Dogs!

Eastdog
05-02-2018, 07:43 PM
Only my 6th year as a Doggies member and many more to come. Been a Doggies supporter for about 15-17 years.

LostDoggy
05-02-2018, 08:06 PM
Same for me Eastdog, I first joined in 2013. It's something I had been meaning to do for a long time and I just never go around to it. It's a 6+ hour round trip to see the boy's play so I don't get to to many gome's but I still get the 11 home game membership to support the club. 30+ year's as a supporter for me.

Eastdog
05-02-2018, 08:20 PM
Same for me Eastdog, I first joined in 2013. It's something I had been meaning to do for a long time and I just never go around to it. It's a 6+ hour round trip to see the boy's play so I don't get to to many gome's but I still get the 11 home game membership to support the club. 30+ year's as a supporter for me.

Good stuff Typhon so a supporter since the late 80s.

Yep I've been a Doggies man since the early 2000s. Only one in my family and very passionate.

Twodogs
05-02-2018, 10:21 PM

Good stuff Typhon so a supporter since the late 80s.

Yep I've been a Doggies man since the early 2000s. Only one in my family and very passionate.

Great stuff guys. You know it's your duty to procreate and make as many little bulldogs as possible as well? One for mum, one for dad and one for the footy club!

bornadog
13-02-2018, 05:02 PM
http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/WesternBulldogs/Images/Promotional%20Tiles/130218_MEM0490-Membership-Tally-Tile.jpg

Eastdog
13-02-2018, 08:39 PM
How are we tracking compared to last year?

GVGjr
13-02-2018, 09:41 PM
http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/WesternBulldogs/Images/Promotional%20Tiles/130218_MEM0490-Membership-Tally-Tile.jpg

How are we tracking compared to last year?

From what I can see is that at the end of Feb 2017 (28.02) we had 35,362 members so we are very close to the mark.
If we went back to the end of Feb 2016 we had just over 26,000 members

In the next 2 weeks we need to sign up about 1,000 members to be on last years pace so we might be a touch behind but very competitive.

GVGjr
13-02-2018, 09:46 PM
For what it's worth at the end of March 2017 we had 39,276 members.

bornadog
13-02-2018, 09:50 PM
For what it's worth at the end of March 2017 we had 39,276 members.

Same time last year we were around 100 more, so bang on last year at this stage.

Eastdog
14-02-2018, 08:24 PM
Same time last year we were around 100 more, so bang on last year at this stage.

Not a bad sign but need to have a good year to keep maintaining it at the current level. The leaner years is where we need our members the most.

When I signed up as a Dogs member:

2013 - lean year
2014 - lean year
2015 - good year back to finals
2016 - PREMIERS!! Best ever year
2017 - dissapointing lean year
2018 - hopefully back to 2 years ago :)

As a Dogs supporter before becoming a member

Early to mid 2000s - lean
Mid to late 2000s very good making 3 prelims with a lean year in 2007
Early 2010s - mostly lean apart from 2010

bornadog
07-03-2018, 04:02 PM
http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/WesternBulldogs/Hero/2017_HERO/070318MEMBERSHIPTILE.jpg

Twodogs
07-03-2018, 04:55 PM
Not a bad sign but need to have a good year to keep maintaining it at the current level. The leaner years is where we need our members the most.

When I signed up as a Dogs member:
2013 - lean year
2014 - lean year
2015 - good year back to finals
2016 - PREMIERS!! Best ever year
2017 - dissapointing lean year
2018 - hopefully back to 2 years ago :)

As a Dogs supporter before becoming a member

Early to mid 2000s - lean
Mid to late 2000s very good making 3 prelims with a lean year in 2007
Early 2010s - mostly lean apart from 2010

I can't remember how we went in 1977 the year I joined. We made the finals the year before but I think 1977 was a pretty mediocre year. We beat Essendon by 100 points at windy hill though, that had me walking around on the balls of my feet for a couple of weeks. The ground was packed and I was just a little kid and couldn't see a thing. I remember one of my cousins picking me up and depositing me on the roof of the pie stand with a bunch of other kids. It was funny because now that I look back I realise we were at the wrong end, we were in amongst the Essendon members alongside the Alan Hird stand (which is a place you don't want to be) and not at the scoreboard end (which if you had to go to windy hill was the best place to be)

Eastdog
07-03-2018, 07:50 PM
http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/WesternBulldogs/Hero/2017_HERO/070318MEMBERSHIPTILE.jpg

Are we on track?

Eastdog
08-03-2018, 11:41 PM
I can't remember how we went in 1977 the year I joined. We made the finals the year before but I think 1977 was a pretty mediocre year. We beat Essendon by 100 points at windy hill though, that had me walking around on the balls of my feet for a couple of weeks. The ground was packed and I was just a little kid and couldn't see a thing. I remember one of my cousins picking me up and depositing me on the roof of the pie stand with a bunch of other kids. It was funny because now that I look back I realise we were at the wrong end, we were in amongst the Essendon members alongside the Alan Hird stand (which is a place you don't want to be) and not at the scoreboard end (which if you had to go to windy hill was the best place to be)

That would have been a great day TD beating our fierce local rival on their turf.

Twodogs
08-03-2018, 11:53 PM
That would have been a great day TD beating our fierce local rival on their turf.

It was indeed, just the day you'd want to be in amongst the Essendon members. I think that I've figured out why we were at that end. Mum said that my cousins Steve, Geoffrey and Bear took me and Steve, Geoffrey and Bear would rather have a fight than a feed so they would have taken up position looking for trouble-And them putting me up on the pie stand roof sort of makes sense now, they didn't want to have to explain to my mum how I ended up looking like I'd been dragged backwards through a rose bush.

ledge
09-03-2018, 10:46 AM
You would expect a drop off after last year , so we need to push two wins in the JLT, our first win was really good and would have given fence sitters something to think about, if we can smash Collingwood it will make a few of these supporters buy membership , I don't rate the pies at all and I don't think many do so a close win will not do the job.

Bulldog4life
09-03-2018, 10:52 AM

I was there that day too Td standing on the wing. From what I remember we were behind at quarter time too. We kicked a swag of goals in the last. KT kicked about 6 goals or so but that last quarter it just rained goals. One of the best wins I have seen.

Twodogs
09-03-2018, 12:07 PM
I was there that day too Td standing on the wing. From what I remember we were behind at quarter time too. We kicked a swag of goals in the last. KT kicked about 6 goals or so but that last quarter it just rained goals. One of the best wins I have seen.

Essendon 13.11 (89) Footscray 29.15 (189) Windy Hill 19,399 7 May 1977

We had 8 multiple goal kickers! KT led the pack with 5, Jennings G. and Morrison I. got 4 each, Dunstan, Edmond, Low and Huppatz (this is a seriously good team we put on the field) got 3 each and Stephen Power got 2, Stoneham and Dempsey got 1 each. We had our kicking boots on for sure, we kicked 5 in the first, 7 in the second, 6 in the third and 11 in the last!

We had 3 Brownlow medalists playing for us-Dempsey, Quinlan and Templeton.

Ozza
09-03-2018, 12:18 PM
You would expect a drop off after last year , so we need to push two wins in the JLT, our first win was really good and would have given fence sitters something to think about, if we can smash Collingwood it will make a few of these supporters buy membership , I don't rate the pies at all and I don't think many do so a close win will not do the job.

Will be interesting to see if we have an increase or a decline.
We have had 5 straight years of increased membership - and are up 17,500 members on the 2012 figure...so remains to be seen whether it is sustainable. But we had an increased membership following each of the McCartney coached seasons, so are supporters aren't particularly 'fair weather' in terms of signing up to be members. I suspect we will be around the same mark in 2018 as last years 47-odd thousand.

Axe Man
09-03-2018, 12:25 PM
Essendon 13.11 (89) Footscray 29.15 (189) Windy Hill 19,399 7 May 1977

Looking back at that era there sure were a lot of high scoring games. The umpiring though - 46 frees to 37 in this match - must have been constant whistles and frustrating to watch?

Axe Man
09-03-2018, 12:26 PM

If people base their decision to buy a membership on the basis of practice matches they are morons.

bornadog
09-03-2018, 12:48 PM
http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/WesternBulldogs/Hero/2017_HERO/080318-Membership-Tally-Tile.jpg

Not sure on last year as they didn't publish the results throughout the season. I do no by the start of the season last year we nudged 40,000

Eastdog
09-03-2018, 12:58 PM
If people base their decision to buy a membership on the basis of practice matches they are morons.

In good times and bad times we need to keep signing up.

I understand completely for some people it's very difficult for financial reasons so we cannot be hard on them but for others if you are a supporter of the club and there is no legitimate reason not to sign up then that's dissapointing.

There are plenty of membership options we have from cheapest to expensive. All of it helps.

Twodogs
09-03-2018, 02:25 PM
Looking back at that era there sure were a lot of high scoring games. The umpiring though - 46 frees to 37 in this match - must have been constant whistles and frustrating to watch?

One constant in footy is that umpires are hopeless.

Twodogs
09-03-2018, 03:55 PM
Going off topic here, but I don't believe that will happen. Players will still go for the ball and if tackled, they will have time to get rid of it and if they don't they will be holding the ball. Currently they don't have to get rid of it as it is deemed they had no opportunity to.

I wouldn't stress about it. We are 142 posts on and conversations vary from their topic or they die. People will come to terms with it eventually.

Axe Man
09-03-2018, 04:11 PM
http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/WesternBulldogs/Hero/2017_HERO/080319_MembershipTile.jpg

Not sure on last year as they didn't publish the results throughout the season. I do no by the start of the season last year we nudged 40,000

Back on topic the figure was 36,664 on March 10th 2017, so we are only slightly off the pace.

Eastdog
09-03-2018, 04:12 PM
A Bulldog TV or radio membership ad might help but you shouldn't solely rely on that. For the money you put into those you need to get the same or more out not less.

Eastdog
09-03-2018, 04:15 PM
Back on topic the figure was 36,664 on March 10th 2017, so we are only slightly off the pace.

Not bad. So probably tracking to around a similar figure to 2017.

bornadog
09-03-2018, 05:28 PM

Update

http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/WesternBulldogs/Hero/2017_HERO/080318-Membership-Tally-Tile.jpg

LostDoggy
09-03-2018, 08:55 PM
I'm fairly happy with that, we were always going to lose a few after a disappointing 2017 so to only be 500 down isn't to bad. As always a strong start to the year will be important to getting the tally up.

Bulldog4life
21-03-2018, 05:56 PM
37,507 members as of today.

Eastdog
21-03-2018, 06:59 PM
I'm fairly happy with that, we were always going to lose a few after a disappointing 2017 so to only be 500 down isn't to bad. As always a strong start to the year will be important to getting the tally up.

Yep certainly will help. A good start to the year will give us as fans that confidence.

bornadog
03-04-2018, 02:11 PM
http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/WesternBulldogs/Hero/2017_HERO/030418-Membership-Tally-Tile.jpg

Eastdog
03-04-2018, 02:12 PM
We need a better few weeks to keep it going but really in these tough times we need the members to sign up.

Prince Imperial
06-04-2018, 05:11 PM
Website now showing 40,111.

Was 40,736 on 4/4/17 in comparison.

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2017-04-04/bulldogs-membership-soars-to-new-record

Eastdog
09-04-2018, 12:37 PM
Website now showing 40,111.

Was 40,736 on 4/4/17 in comparison.

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2017-04-04/bulldogs-membership-soars-to-new-record

Yesterday's victory certainly would of helped a bit.

Prince Imperial
24-04-2018, 12:32 PM
Website now showing 41,354.

On field results not helping.

Looks like we are giving out free tickets and not free 3 game memberships to Vic Uni staff and students so that might be affecting the total a bit.

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/membership/vuoffer

Twodogs
24-04-2018, 02:09 PM
Website now showing 41,354.

On field results not helping.

Looks like we are giving out free tickets and not free 3 game memberships to Vic Uni staff and students so that might be affecting the total a bit.

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/membership/vuoffer

Interesting. I'm going to be charitable and choose to believe it was a community partnership that was in the pipeline all along. And that this wasn't dreamed up on Sunday afternoon at a crisis meeting.

Eastdog
24-04-2018, 02:42 PM
We need our members and supporters to be out in force out Etihad on Friday night. Our home game as well.

Important game for reasons we didn't want to be in at this early stage of the season. Need to aim for that 2nd win to get some needed confidence back into our side.

Prince Imperial
27-04-2018, 12:53 AM

bornadog
27-04-2018, 10:06 AM

last year on 20 April, 42,858, so we are behind at this stage by over 1000. I can't see us beating last years total unless we start winning plenty of games.

bornadog
21-05-2018, 04:48 PM
http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/WesternBulldogs/Hero/2017_HERO/210518_MEM0490-Membership-Tally-Tile.jpg

bulldogtragic
21-05-2018, 05:00 PM
Still about 1,000 members behind?

Greystache
21-05-2018, 05:02 PM
Still about 1,000 members behind?

Hard to see it going up when you kick 2.14 in a match. No one's signing up to watch that.

bulldogtragic
21-05-2018, 05:05 PM
Hard to see it going up when you kick 2.14 in a match. No one's signing up to watch that.

I was wondering if the three hollow wins against poor sides tricked a few of those 1,000 down a month ago into signing back up. Before that train wreck Friday night.

bornadog
21-05-2018, 05:11 PM

That is where the attitude is wrong by supporters who are fickle and don't support the club through thick and thin. Membership is more than just going to games.

bornadog
21-05-2018, 05:12 PM
I was wondering if the three hollow wins against poor sides tricked a few of those 1,000 down a month ago into signing back up. Before that train wreck Friday night.

Funny those poor sides beat Geelong and Hawthorn on the weekend.

bulldogtragic
21-05-2018, 05:17 PM
Funny those poor sides beat Geelong and Hawthorn on the weekend.

GCS beat Geelong?

They weren't good wins and unfortunately there's a not insignificant amount of fans who will only part with money if they see good wins. We can lament it. But that's the way it is. If you want to look at the positive, I'm happy that we are down only around 1,000 or so with missing the 8 in defending the flag and looking like a bottom 5 team even when winning. Which is also ok, we get a top 5 draft pick in a super draft.

bornadog
21-05-2018, 05:24 PM
GCS beat Geelong?

They weren't good wins and unfortunately there's a not insignificant amount of fans who will only part with money if they see good wins. We can lament it. But that's the way it is. If you want to look at the positive, I'm happy that we are down only around 1,000 or so with missing the 8 in defending the flag and looking like a bottom 5 team even when winning. Which is also ok, we get a top 5 draft pick in a super draft.

Essendon beat Geelong I believe ;)

I agree the way the fickle supporters look at it, is different than us die hards look at it.

bulldogtragic
21-05-2018, 05:30 PM
Essendon beat Geelong I believe ;)

I agree the way the fickle supporters look at it, is different than us die hards look at it.

Someone today was lamenting how bad it was (Friday night). A part of my response was, the club will send out the renewal and I won't hesitate (on auto renew anyway). You don't drop off after a bad game, a bad month, a bad year if you're truly invested. That only 1,000 have is better than I would've expected with the year to date. Perhaps the modest dip shows more and more are becoming invested beyond 'pay for play(ing well)'.

bornadog
31-05-2018, 03:27 PM
http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/WesternBulldogs/Hero/2017_HERO/310518_Tile.jpg

ledge
31-05-2018, 03:49 PM
http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/WesternBulldogs/Hero/2017_HERO/310518_Tile.jpg

Great result I would think so far , obviously our supporters see a positive in the young guns coming up and building something special again.
Hasn't dropped off alarmingly tells you the supporters have the glass half full rather than half empty.
I think the first qtr last week showed where we are heading it's just the kids can't keep it up yet.