PDA

View Full Version : Steve Johnson

LostDoggy
17-01-2008, 09:05 PM
I see Steve Johnson was booked for speeding. It was announced this afternoon that his car was impounded after he was clocked at 128km/h in a 50km/h zone. I believe that Shannon Byrnes was in the car with him.

That certainly putting the pedal to the floor. What do you think the club will do with him?

GVGjr
17-01-2008, 09:38 PM
It's a fairly big strike two in my opinion but it's hard to say what the cats might do. I doubt he will be forced to train away from the group. Perhaps a fine and some more counseling.

LostDoggy
17-01-2008, 09:46 PM
Bugger. Looks as though hes going to have another ripping year.

The Underdog
18-01-2008, 10:52 AM
Bugger. Looks as though hes going to have another ripping year.

How dumb do you have to be to do 128 in a 50 zone? Especially when you've got the spotty history that Johnson has. He's clearly a dumbass but he's certainly got a long way to go to live down to the standards of the piece of crap in your avatar Borgy. It's tough to have a good season in prison.

LostDoggy
18-01-2008, 11:02 AM
Obviously still on his invincible 'season high' from last year.

Go_Dogs
18-01-2008, 11:24 AM
Wonder who is going to have to drive him to training? Don't let him take the wheel whatever you do!

Mantis
18-01-2008, 12:26 PM
Was he driving a Ford???

If so they surely have to look at there sponsorship too.;)

bulldogtragic
18-01-2008, 01:54 PM
Will be another court appearance, which is not helpful.

Could be charged with conduct endangering life which is usually looked at with speeds over twice the limit. If he's charged with that, he could be looking at a very serious penalty.

Very stupid man child in deed.

LostDoggy
18-01-2008, 02:49 PM
To be honest, it looks bad from the factual information, but take it from me, it isnt as bad as it is being made out.

The area where the speeding took place is a large parkland area that is virtually deserted all the time.

Over the years it has always been known as a place where you could put your foot down if you liked (obviously thats why the cops were there).

80km's over the limit is bloody stupid, but it is most likely that the whole area would have been deserted, so it wasnt that he was hooning down a suburban street anything like that.

Not condoning what he has done, but it needs to be put into context a little more.

However, I do think that Geelong has put themselves into a corner, by making 'last chance' statements last year.

With all the public comment, it will be interesting to see which way they jump.

Sockeye Salmon
18-01-2008, 03:39 PM
To be honest, it looks bad from the factual information, but take it from me, it isnt as bad as it is being made out.

The area where the speeding took place is a large parkland area that is virtually deserted all the time.

Over the years it has always been known as a place where you could put your foot down if you liked (obviously thats why the cops were there).

80km's over the limit is bloody stupid, but it is most likely that the whole area would have been deserted, so it wasnt that he was hooning down a suburban street anything like that.

Not condoning what he has done, but it needs to be put into context a little more.

However, I do think that Geelong has put themselves into a corner, by making 'last chance' statements last year.

With all the public comment, it will be interesting to see which way they jump.

Last chance statements don't apply to All-Australians.

LostDoggy
18-01-2008, 03:56 PM
Too true Sockeye,

In the words or George Orwell, 'some are more equal than others'

Topdog
19-01-2008, 09:28 AM
don't really care where it was and how deserted he believed it was when he put the foot down, the dickhead should get jail time.

GVGjr
19-01-2008, 01:01 PM
don't really care where it was and how deserted he believed it was when he put the foot down, the dickhead should get jail time.

I would have thought that 78km's over the limit would have resulted in more than a 12 months suspension of the license.

The real question is what punishment would you expect the Dogs to hand out if it was one of our players?

Mofra
19-01-2008, 01:42 PM
The real question is what punishment would you expect the Dogs to hand out if it was one of our players?
Unfortunately, that question would depend on which player.

Fan reaction would depend on whether it was a perennial scapegoat (ie Eagle) or a player who is rated higher but has produced less (ie Minson)

GVGjr
19-01-2008, 01:47 PM
Unfortunately, that question would depend on which player.

Fan reaction would depend on whether it was a perennial scapegoat (ie Eagle) or a player who is rated higher but has produced less (ie Minson)

I won't say any name in particular but what about a player with similar credentials to Johnson? Lets assume we had some problem with 12 months earlier as well.

My belief is that along with working with him to improve his off field decision making we would fine him and suspend him for a couple of weeks and put him on notice. I doubt we would be stronger than that and I don't think it warrants being any tougher either.

We would need to get a strong message across without making a federal case about it.

southerncross
26-01-2008, 09:37 AM
Am I right to assume that he just got 50 hours counselling and no penalty from the club ? Does everyone think that is an adequate level of discipline ?
I'm not sure what more could have been done but it should count as another strike against him

bulldogtragic
26-01-2008, 02:16 PM
Am I right to assume that he just got 50 hours counselling and no penalty from the club ? Does everyone think that is an adequate level of discipline ?
I'm not sure what more could have been done but it should count as another strike against him
I think the answer is it is no disciplining of him at all.

Like most clubs Geelong have numerous players attend hospitals, do clinics and so on. This 50 hours is what he would have probably done anyway.

It's like punishing a child by making them watch TV and eating junk food.

I just hope he is charged with the more serious offences which could extend his licence loss to 2 years and open up bigger penalties to the court.

hujsh
26-01-2008, 02:57 PM
Why should he be punished by the club? When he was last year it was because he was having problems with alcohol and i believe that affects your footy. Speeding doesn't and the courts have punished him as seen fit. Lat year i don't think he would have been punished at all if Geelong did nothing.