PDA

View Full Version : Stringer Trade Worth

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Topdog
21-09-2017, 09:01 AM
Basically a Big Footy poster with a microphone.

Haha nah not really, he doesn't make up rubbish just gives his opinion

LostDoggy
21-09-2017, 09:33 AM
I think the Bulldogs have played this one very nicely. It’s market manipulation (i.e. stock bashing) at its finest. In Bevo we trust.

Since the whispers started, the Dogs haven’t refuted them. In fact they’ve been very public with a few carefully selected facts and quite positive with the language surrounding the facts. Jake’s enduring an existential life crisis and an associated lack of professionalism towards his football. They’ve asked for him to commit to his football and the ethos of the club, and he’s fallen short on those expectations. No single player is bigger than the club. The situation isn’t irretrievable, but we’ve had a gutful and the ball is in his court.

By making their intentions to trade him public, the Dogs are effectively driving down Jake’s value for his own good. Jake might think that he’s worth $1 million a year, but in doing their due diligence, other clubs will quickly realise there’s probably a bit more to it and he’s a liability. Clubs might be willing to take on that liability, but not for a first round draft pick and certainly not for $1m per year. Sure his manager will shop him around and talk him up, but at the end of the day he’s contracted and a player of amazing potential to the aspirations of the Dogs fortunes in 2018 and beyond.

I’ve heard the “AA player, premiership player, former pick 5” arguments when it comes to his trade value, but it all means very little when you’re this on the nose (What was Ben Cousins worth in 2005 vs 2007?). If there isn’t a good offer for him, he’ll hit rock bottom and find himself unwanted both within and outside the club. If he nominates a club who then offer below expectations value, it’ll hurt his pride and the Dogs will stand up for Jake and let the football world know he’s worth more than what is being offered, restart negotiations and welcome him home with open arms.

If he stays, the Dogs will have better leverage to get the most out of him. He’s got 6 months to get back on track physically and professionally or he’ll spend the year in VFL. If he’s bitter about how this has played out, he’ll still need to address the professionalism and play some good football for the Dogs to raise his stock up again. If he plays some good football, the Dogs will offer him a contract extension. Otherwise he’ll find himself uncontracted and not worth a great deal.

In no way am I certain which way this’ll go, but It’ll take a high draft pick (I’m thinking 11 from Dons or better) to prise him away or else he stays. If he goes, we head to the draft with two first round draft picks a year after winning a flag, a strong position to be in. If he goes, we’ve off-loaded a liability and can refocus getting the culture right.

As for addressing the party culture and the players who may have thought it would just happen in 2017, this has served to act as a wake-up call. The boys would have had their exit interviews, told no individual is bigger than the club and been given clear instruction to turn up for pre-season in shape and ready to go. Libba has already come out and said he’ll start pre-season 2 weeks early. Job’s right.

Bring on the trade period!

Ozza
21-09-2017, 09:59 AM
I think the Bulldogs have played this one very nicely. It’s market manipulation (i.e. stock bashing) at its finest. In Bevo we trust.

Since the whispers started, the Dogs haven’t refuted them. In fact they’ve been very public with a few carefully selected facts and quite positive with the language surrounding the facts. Jake’s enduring an existential life crisis and an associated lack of professionalism towards his football. They’ve asked for him to commit to his football and the ethos of the club, and he’s fallen short on those expectations. No single player is bigger than the club. The situation isn’t irretrievable, but we’ve had a gutful and the ball is in his court.

By making their intentions to trade him public, the Dogs are effectively driving down Jake’s value for his own good. Jake might think that he’s worth $1 million a year, but in doing their due diligence, other clubs will quickly realise there’s probably a bit more to it and he’s a liability. Clubs might be willing to take on that liability, but not for a first round draft pick and certainly not for $1m per year. Sure his manager will shop him around and talk him up, but at the end of the day he’s contracted and a player of amazing potential to the aspirations of the Dogs fortunes in 2018 and beyond.

I’ve heard the “AA player, premiership player, former pick 5” arguments when it comes to his trade value, but it all means very little when you’re this on the nose (What was Ben Cousins worth in 2005 vs 2007?). If there isn’t a good offer for him, he’ll hit rock bottom and find himself unwanted both within and outside the club. If he nominates a club who then offer below expectations value, it’ll hurt his pride and the Dogs will stand up for Jake and let the football world know he’s worth more than what is being offered, restart negotiations and welcome him home with open arms.

If he stays, the Dogs will have better leverage to get the most out of him. He’s got 6 months to get back on track physically and professionally or he’ll spend the year in VFL. If he’s bitter about how this has played out, he’ll still need to address the professionalism and play some good football for the Dogs to raise his stock up again. If he plays some good football, the Dogs will offer him a contract extension. Otherwise he’ll find himself uncontracted and not worth a great deal.

In no way am I certain which way this’ll go, but It’ll take a high draft pick (I’m thinking 11 from Dons or better) to prise him away or else he stays. If he goes, we head to the draft with two first round draft picks a year after winning a flag, a strong position to be in. If he goes, we’ve off-loaded a liability and can refocus getting the culture right.

As for addressing the party culture and the players who may have thought it would just happen in 2017, this has served to act as a wake-up call. The boys would have had their exit interviews, told no individual is bigger than the club and been given clear instruction to turn up for pre-season in shape and ready to go. Libba has already come out and said he’ll start pre-season 2 weeks early. Job’s right.

Solid post Giansiraccuser!!! Good to see you back on here great man!!

hujsh
21-09-2017, 10:19 AM
snip
Pretty well reasoned there. While I understand and share the anxiety expressed you've presented an entirely plausible way (or two) that this could work out well for us.

LostDoggy
21-09-2017, 10:45 AM
Thanks Ozza. I don't post much but enjoy reading the full gamut of opinions from the diehards more than ever.

bornadog
21-09-2017, 10:47 AM
Thanks Ozza. I don't post much but enjoy reading the full gamut of opinions from the diehards more than ever.

Well thought out Gia, enjoyed the read and couldn't disagree at all.

The only way Stringer can stay in my opinion is he has to convince Bevo he will do all that is asked of him, on and off the field.

mitch0418
21-09-2017, 11:02 AM

Great post. I've been thinking along the same lines but wouldn't have been able to articulate as well as this. I was watching Jake and Paul Connors during that live forum and it seemed to me that it was purely Paul's idea to get Jake on the panel so he could attempt to up his trade value. At the same time however Paul Connors was sitting on both sides of the fence as he refused to say anything negative about the Dogs and a few times mentioned the club has handled discussions appropriately. Unfortunately for both of them Bob (who is obviously widely respected within AFL circles) came out yesterday and disputed everything Jake said which would leave nothing but doubt now for potential recruiting clubs.

I'm pretty comfortable as long as the club stands firm and only accepts any pick within the top 10. I doubt any club will offer that now so wouldn't be surprised if Jake stays for another year leaving him with the only option of pulling his finger out or spending the year in the VFL which further deflates his worth.

Interesting few weeks ahead.

Cyberdoggie
21-09-2017, 01:14 PM
I'd be squarely focused on North's pick 4 as our number 1 priority. They have the cap, are seemingly desperate for a big name trade and Scott will want to rise back up the ladder.

That would leave us with pick 4 & 9. I'd use 4 on the best kid available (turned out ok last time) and use 9 to bring in a gun established forward. Don't know who, but I'd be throwing big money at someone to shake them loose.
They also might have a ruckman that wants out

bulldogsman
21-09-2017, 03:23 PM
They also might have a ruckman that wants out

That's my concern, Goldstein will be included in the deal.

bornadog
21-09-2017, 03:51 PM
That's my concern, Goldstein will be included in the deal.

Rumour: Apparently there is another ruckman that wants out

ledge
21-09-2017, 04:25 PM
Rumour: Apparently there is another ruckman that wants out

Not Daw I hope.

bornadog
21-09-2017, 04:26 PM
Not Daw I hope. I don't think it is Daw

bulldogtragic
21-09-2017, 05:04 PM
I don't think it is Daw

Brown, he could be a ruck.

Webby
21-09-2017, 05:05 PM
Preuss?

bornadog
21-09-2017, 05:14 PM
Preuss?

From SEN this morning:

Pruess could be a target for the likes of the Western Bulldogs and Brisbane, particularly if Stefan Martin returns to Victoria, and former Melbourne captain Garry Lyon believes if Goldstein and Daw stay at the Roos, he has no alternative but to move on.“He’s got to go, doesn’t he Braydon Preuss?” Lyon said.
“If that’s the line that the Kangaroos are taking, if they’re going to keep Todd and Majak, then Braydon has got to get on the move.”

ledge
21-09-2017, 05:43 PM
Why would you keep Daw over him ?

ledge
21-09-2017, 05:43 PM
I would have thought Goldstein and Daw would be gone before him.

Rocket Science
21-09-2017, 06:16 PM
From SEN this morning:

They're truly just heaping verbal diarrohea upon verbal diarrohea.

Pruess is clearly their annointed #1 ruck. Only a twit would rank Goldstein or Daw ahead of him.

macca
21-09-2017, 06:32 PM
PReuss had a pretty good start to the season , what happened in the second half? Was he injured or they chose to give Daw thenumber 1 ruck role ?

Rocket Science
21-09-2017, 06:38 PM
Brown, he could be a ruck.

I could tolerate Stringer running around for them if it meant BBB doing likewise for us.

G-Mo77
21-09-2017, 06:44 PM
From SEN this morning:

It's not really a rumour just an opinion. Preuss won't go anywhere. Norf are cashed up, they'll make it work.

1eyedog
21-09-2017, 07:34 PM

Probably the most fanciful post of them all and certainly the most romantic. A great read, thanks.

Twodogs
22-09-2017, 12:07 AM
I could tolerate Stringer running around for them if it meant BBB doing likewise for us.

Brown is like a less talented, more reliable, ranga version of Skinner.

jeemak
22-09-2017, 03:09 AM
Brown is like a less talented, more reliable, ranga version of Skinner.

Brown's like that 5ft 6in to 5ft 7in guy I went to high school with who developed later than everyone else?

macca
22-09-2017, 03:20 AM
BRown is a good contested mark and a beautiful kick. I would have him ahead of every other player on our list for goal kicking other than Dickson. He kicked 63 goals this year, and Probably took 10times More contested marks than anyone else on our list. I am really staggered we did not pick him up initially in the 2013 draft. We picked fuller before him , what the hell were we thinking ???

Twodogs
22-09-2017, 03:36 AM
BRown is a good contested mark and a beautiful kick. I would have him ahead of every other player on our list for goal kicking other than Dickson. He kicked 63 goals this year, and Probably took 10times More contested marks than anyone else on our list. I am really staggered we did not pick him up initially in the 2013 draft. We picked fuller before him , what the hell were we thinking ???

It's what happens when you don't go best available at the draft.

We really needed a player who could run and kick the ball after Lindsay Gilbee retired. Brad Fuller could run and kick the ball. Up until he got onto on our list he could anyway.

GVGjr
22-09-2017, 05:30 AM
Barrett apparently mentioned that we have lost our position of potentially dealing with a number of clubs with Stringer because he has now pretty much decided it's Geelong where he wants to move to. Ironically it's because of their leadership group and he sees that as a positive for him.

chef
22-09-2017, 05:43 AM
Was always going to happen. Players choose a club and we deal with them. Bidding wars never happen.

LostDoggy
22-09-2017, 05:46 AM
Barrett apparently mentioned that we have lost our position of potentially dealing with a number of clubs with Stringer because he has now pretty much decided it's Geelong where he wants to move to. Ironically it's because of their leadership group and he sees that as a positive for him.

He also said something along the lines of we aren't going to let him nominate a club of his choice? He really is painting us as the bad guy.

azabob
22-09-2017, 06:26 AM
Gee we have handled this poorly. We really needed to keep our powder dry on announcing our intentions and more importantly the reasons why.

But for whatever reason we couldn't.

LostDoggy
22-09-2017, 06:33 AM
Barrett said We have effectively sacked Jake and are pushing him back on his right to publicly nominate a club of his choice. Jake is having none of it and will nominate Geelong because he needs their leadership which Jake has acknowledged.

Twodogs
22-09-2017, 06:52 AM

The legal reality is he is contracted so he can nominate where he likes but we have all the legal rights. People will understand when all the truth comes out. All we have to do is not get distracted from the path we have chosen.

Discipline is what we need. We can't react to what Barrett says or then we will be *!*!*!*!ed.

Having said that I'm commenting on a normal situation and this situation is anything but normal.

BulldogBelle
22-09-2017, 07:20 AM
Herald sun website

MORRIS: STRINGER ALWAYS WELCOME AT THE DOGS

IF not with the coach, Jake Stringer remains popular with the Western Bulldogs playing group.

After being told he was no longer wanted after a disappointing 2017 campaign, Stringer is looking for a new home.

However, if a deal can't be worked out with a rival club, Bulldogs veteran Dale Morris says the premiership forward will be welcomed back at Whitten Oval.

"It’s something that you’d have to ask Jake with how he’s feeling with the whole situation ... but if a deal wasn’t done and he was at the club next year, we would embrace him as the playing group and hold him in tight, because at the moment he’s still one of us," Morris told Fox Footy.

“He’s still contracted, he’s still a Bulldog. So we don’t see him on the outer, we don’t see him as a rival or anything like that — he’s a teammate.

“So we look after our teammates and at the moment he is still a teammate — that’s the way we look at him.”

Morris admitted that even he had been "intimidated" by his exit meeting with Beveridge and hinted that Stringer needed to do more to meet club standards.

“I think that goes for any player. Every player needs to live the standards and the expectations that we have at the football club and with the exit meetings, you leave exit meetings knowing where you stand and the things you did well, the things you need to improve on and what to look forward to next year,” he said.

‘So I left my exit meeting with ‘Bevo’ quite clear with what I needed to do and that’s what they’re designed for — so everyone’s exit meetings are different but they can be pretty intimidating.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/afl-daily-live-rolling-footy-news-from-around-australia-for-september-22-2017/news-story/4bbba28a58805b6026aa8467a7872635

GVGjr
22-09-2017, 07:32 AM
I know the one club position for Stringer seems restricting but it doesn't mean a 3rd club wouldn't get involved to satisfy our requirements. I think it's just the case of being well prepared and to really canvass other clubs to look for opportunities.

comrade
22-09-2017, 07:44 AM
I know the one club position for Stringer seems restricting but it doesn't mean a 3rd club wouldn't get involved to satisfy our requirements. I think it's just the case of being well prepared and to really canvass other clubs to look for opportunities.

Yep, similar to the deal Hawthorn engineered for JO'M.

Is Jmac capable of coordinating something similar?

comrade
22-09-2017, 07:49 AM
And let me get this straight. Stringer is out the door due to sub standard professionalism and discipline yet apparently wants to go to Geelong because the leadership group will be a positive for him. Why? Due to them demanding more discipline from him?

I can see this ending in tears for Jake.

Topdog
22-09-2017, 07:51 AM
Why do we suddenly believe the dickhead warrior?

comrade
22-09-2017, 07:54 AM

Anything I write in this thread that refers to a rumour written by a journo has an unwritten 'if this is correct' disclaimer.

Twodogs
22-09-2017, 09:02 AM

Some people really seem to enjoy Chicken Littling. I have no idea why, the sky is still in the, err, Sky as far as I can make out. Henny Penny and Ducky Lucky are in no immediate danger. But if we panic so much that we do let Foxy Loxy in then we are in trouble.

Webby
22-09-2017, 09:07 AM
I flicked over to TFS last night during a Front Bar commercial break. (I know this sounds like an "I hardly ever eat at McDonald's" statement, but I really do never watch the Footy Show!) I caught Barrett's section and held off thumbing the remote - just out of curiosity to see when he'd mention the word Stringer and to see if he could resist trying to pot his old nemesis, Beveridge...

It took about six seconds!

Barrett actually told us nothing new. It was actually quite enlightening to see what a little grub he is. His formula is to take pieces of what's already out there, add some mayonnaise, and then extrapolate. In turn, shaping his own narrative in order to cultivate a story.
A story which he can then presumably present as new, whilst also serving his own petty little agenda.

In short, he pretty much makes shit up! He'd deny this and feign offence at the accusation. He'd point to the sprinkling of half truths in his stories. Good journalism is about gathering fact and reporting it. It is not about shaping a story with your own personal gut feel and opinion. Barrett needs to decide whether he a reporter or an editorialist. You can't be both!

And his dislike of Beveridge and the WBFC is so transparent that it's embarrassing. I've actually defended Barrett at times in the past, but he's now totally removed any doubt by that he is, in fact, a grubby little hack. It was cringeworthy.

One little aside was that, as a result of him feeling aggrieved that McGure made a captain's call and presented a 'big' story (for which Barrett had apparently done the legwork on a few weeks back), Barrett clearly blindsided Eddie with a question about the Pies interviewing Simon Lethlean for their CEO position. This was, in some ways, amusing - as it caught Eddie on the hop and clearly rattled him.

However at the same time, I couldn't help thinking "geez he'd be an unlikable little prick!"

Rocket Science
22-09-2017, 09:13 AM

63 goals in spite of the bunch of shit trucks around him no less.

So with our forward delivery you can can guarantee he'd be good for at least 25.

Bulldog4life
22-09-2017, 09:19 AM

I heard that his ex and kids are now living in Geelong. If so that is a very good reason why he wants to play there. I am not 100% if this is true but told by a good friend.

GVGjr
22-09-2017, 09:46 AM
Yep, similar to the deal Hawthorn engineered for JO'M.

Is Jmac capable of coordinating something similar?

I'm not sure why J-Mac's abilities are being questioned so regularly. He got a couple wrong last year but lets face it appears there were quite a few at the club off their game since the flag.

There is a trade committee and I'm confident it won't fall over because of J-Mac.

Twodogs
22-09-2017, 10:07 AM
I heard that his ex and kids are now living in Geelong. If so that is a very good reason why he wants to play there. I am not 100% if this is true but told by a good friend.

And he doesn't think he will drive past her as he drives down the highway because the moment she finds out he plans on moving to Geelong?

Jake needs to stop being so interdependent and grow up. This is not something that's only happened to him. The rest of us come to terms with it and move on,

G-Mo77
22-09-2017, 10:41 AM
The legal reality is he is contracted so he can nominate where he likes but we have all the legal rights. People will understand when all the truth comes out. All we have to do is not get distracted from the path we have chosen.

Discipline is what we need. We can't react to what Barrett says or then we will be *!*!*!*!ed.

Having said that I'm commenting on a normal situation and this situation is anything but normal.

He has a contract which also means we can't trade him somewhere else without his agreement. Say if Norf want him and he doesn't want to go there then that avenue is closed. If it's just Geelong and no one else that's it. He either sees out his contract or we get lowballed. All that being said it came from Barrett so I really don't put much weight into his 1 minute of grubby little swipes at our coach and club.

bulldogtragic
22-09-2017, 10:43 AM
So here goes:

Geelong will offer pick 20 & 33 (2 second rounders) and a plodder. For argument sake we say pick 20, 33 & Cockatoo (if he passes a medical) for Stringer & pick 80. Say they agree to this which is two second rounders and a player. Reasonable. So:

9, 20, 26, 33, 39 & Cockatoo (speed, good user), Trengove (ruck/defender)
-----
Crameri, Honey & 39 to Essendon for 28 (both have a link/rumour to Essendon) (reasonable)
-----
9, 20, 26, 28, 33 & Cockatoo (speed, good user), Trengove (ruck/defender)
-----
26 & 28 to Brisabne for 18 or 19 (FA compo on Rockliff dependant) - Draft points trade with Callenden in the mix before (300 points up, we may ask for a player with that rise) (reasonable)
-----
9, 19, 21, 33 & Cockatoo (speed, good user), Trengove (ruck/defender)
-----
Draft points trade to help Richmond (160 points up) - 19, 21 & 33 for 15 & 16 (reasonable)
-----
Picks: 9, 15, 16 (trade &/or use) (3 first rounders)
Pick 81: (elevate Roarke Smith)
Players: Cockatoo (speed, good user), Trengove (ruck/defender)

Plus Stringers $500,000 salary & $800,000 in 'Hurley Cash' can give us a look at any other free agents, or go at a big trade! Big trade!

Outs: Players we've made clear we are not signing yet or we want out, Stringer, Crameri, Honey. I'd guess Campbell might want out maybe.

Issues: With Stringer, Crameri, Honey, Hamilton & Tweedie all gone, we need some forwards.

List: 6 vacancies needed. (1) Bob, (2) Boyd, (3) Hamilton (4) Stringer, (5) Crameri, (6) Honey

Direction: Three first rounders. Draft? Aggressively pursue Saad, Duggan, Schache, Wright and so on?

The Bulldogs Bite
22-09-2017, 11:04 AM
I'll be dry reaching every time Stringer kicks a goal for Geelong - should this eventuate.

Rather him go to Essendon FFS.

Twodogs
He has a contract which also means we can't trade him somewhere else without his agreement. Say if Norf want him and he doesn't want to go there then that avenue is closed. If it's just Geelong and no one else that's it. He either sees out his contract or we get lowballed. All that being said it came from Barrett so I really don't put much weight into his 1 minute of grubbing little swipes at our coach and club.

Yep, tend to agree. Barrett's full of shit. I've already rewarded him by giving him far too much attention.

Bulldog4life
I flicked over to TFS last night during a Front Bar commercial break. (I know this sounds like an "I hardly ever eat at McDonald's" statement, but I really do never watch the Footy Show!) I caught Barrett's section and held off thumbing the remote - just out of curiosity to see when he'd mention the word Stringer and to see if he could resist trying to pot his old nemesis, Beveridge...

It took about six seconds!

Barrett actually told us nothing new. It was actually quite enlightening to see what a little grub he is. His formula is to take pieces of what's already out there, add some mayonnaise, and then extrapolate. In turn, shaping his own narrative in order to cultivate a story.
A story which he can then presumably present as new, whilst also serving his own petty little agenda.

In short, he pretty much makes shit up! He'd deny this and feign offence at the accusation. He'd point to the sprinkling of half truths in his stories. Good journalism is about gathering fact and reporting it. It is not about shaping a story with your own personal gut feel and opinion. Barrett needs to decide whether he a reporter or an editorialist. You can't be both!

And his dislike of Beveridge and the WBFC is so transparent that it's embarrassing. I've actually defended Barrett at times in the past, but he's now totally removed any doubt by that he is, in fact, a grubby little hack. It was cringeworthy.

One little aside was that, as a result of him feeling aggrieved that McGure made a captain's call and presented a 'big' story (for which Barrett had apparently done the legwork on a few weeks back), Barrett clearly blindsided Eddie with a question about the Pies interviewing Simon Lethlean for their CEO position. This was, in some ways, amusing - as it caught Eddie on the hop and clearly rattled him.

However at the same time, I couldn't help thinking "geez he'd be an unlikable little prick!"

Following on what Webby said.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/media-watch-bulldogs-push-back-on-jake-stringers-right-to-choose-a-club-carlton-offers-tom-rockliff-a-contract/news-story/6f270b4e0267566da7da0173fc2c382a

STRINGER SAGA TAKES ANOTHER TURN

THE Jake Stringer trade saga has taken another turn, with the Bulldogs looking to determine the out-of-favour forward’s destination, according to reports.

Journalist Damian Barrett told Channel 9’s The Footy Show that the Bulldogs had been “pushing back” on Stringer’s right to determine his club of choice.

“Strangely enough now ... despite effectively sacking Jake Stringer, they are now pushing back on Jake Stringer’s right to publicly nominate a club of choice,” Barrett said.

“They feel that they have the right to negotiate this from the outset and choose the best club on their behalf.

“But Stringer’s not going to be having a bar of that — he will be choosing a club.”

Barrett also reported Geelong remained the frontrunners for Stringer’s services ahead of Essendon, with the Cats’ off-field leadership a key appeal for the 23-year-old.

He said the way the Stringer situation had played out in public had reduced the forward’s trade currency.

“There’s now internal acknowledgment within the Bulldogs that ... some layers of this story have been atrociously handled from within,” Barrett said.

“From Luke Beveridge initially failing to personally tell Jake Stringer that he would be traded to Luke Beveridge going publicly.

“The effect of him going public with the problems around Jake Stringer have meant that they have significantly reduced their trade currency on getting him off their books.”

Twodogs
22-09-2017, 11:08 AM
I can spot half a dozen factual errors in just those two articles.

LostDoggy
22-09-2017, 12:27 PM
I can spot half a dozen factual errors in just those two articles.

Exactly right he clearly just makes it up as he goes and you can't help just shaking your head with every word he says.

always right
22-09-2017, 01:42 PM
"Strangely enough now ... despite effectively sacking Jake Stringer, they are now pushing back on Jake Stringer’s right to publicly nominate a club of choice,” Barrett said.

Wow......the club is trying to do the best deal for the club.

Rocket Science
22-09-2017, 01:56 PM
Unthinkable!

Now imagine an alternate universe in which we played nice ...

“Strangely enough now ... after effectively sacking Jake Stringer, they've now fully acquiesced to Stringer’s right to publicly nominate a club of choice, thereby squandering their capacity to extract maximum return for the former three-time club leading goal-kicker and All-Australian” Barrett said.

Ghost writing for Barrett's endless sewage outlet would be the easiest job in the world.

Twodogs
22-09-2017, 01:58 PM
"Strangely enough now ... despite effectively sacking Jake Stringer, they are now pushing back on Jake Stringer’s right to publicly nominate a club of choice,” Barrett said.

Wow......the club is trying to do the best deal for the club.

How dare we!

comrade
22-09-2017, 02:08 PM
Feels like Barrett is deliberately trying to paint us in the worst possible light while driving Stringer's value down as much as possible. Surely not.

Twodogs
22-09-2017, 02:09 PM
Unthinkable!

“Strangely enough now ... after effectively sacking Jake Stringer, they've now fully acquiesced to Stringer’s right to publicly nominate a club of choice, thereby squandering their capacity to extract maximum return for the former three-time club leading goal-kicker and All-Australian” Barrett said.

Ghost writing for Barrett's endless sewage outlet would be the easiest job in the world.

Hehe. Yep, we've put up with a lack of an acceptable effort from Jake for going on two years and then because we decide to do something about it somehow we are the bad guys?

What would Damo say if we said "fair enough Jake, do what you like mate, don't stress about it. Don't worry about your preperation or recovery, just turn up to training whenever you feel like it. And don't forget that rehab appointments are optional, you don't have to go if it's any trouble at all. That's your part of the bargain. For our part we'll do our best to cover up every *!*!*!*! up you make and we will play you in the seniors regardless, sweeeet mate"?

Bulldog4life
22-09-2017, 02:12 PM
For what it is worth Gary Lyon said he coached Jake in the under 16's and even then he was head strong and didn't handle criticism well.

bornadog
22-09-2017, 02:21 PM
Feels like Barrett is deliberately trying to paint us in the worst possible light while driving Stringer's value down as much as possible. Surely not.

Anything to get back at Bevo

Rocket Science
22-09-2017, 03:38 PM
http://i68.tinypic.com/1so6rb.jpg

Oh hey Purple!

Unsure if he's hatching his next headline or hiding from a premiership winning coach.

You be the judge.

ledge
22-09-2017, 03:48 PM
Obviously Stringer did nothing wrong and we made it all up.
Does he actually look at why he is on the trade table or does he conveniently forget anything that might paint us in a good light ?

Twodogs
22-09-2017, 03:48 PM
Maybe he's waiting for a premiership coach?

Twodogs
22-09-2017, 03:49 PM
Obviously Stringer did nothing wrong and we made it all up.
Does he actually look at why he is on the trade table or does he conveniently forget anything that might paint us in a good light ?

Colomn B.

ledge
22-09-2017, 03:50 PM
I would love to see Barretts take if we actually kept Jake, how would he spin doctor that ?

Doc26
22-09-2017, 04:25 PM

Hehe. Yep, we've put up with a lack of an acceptable effort from Jake for going on two years and then because we decide to do something about it somehow we are the bad guys?

What would Damo say if we said "fair enough Jake, do what you like mate, don't stress about it. Don't worry about your preperation or recovery, just turn up to training whenever you feel like it. And don't forget that rehab appointments are optional, you don't have to go if it's any trouble at all. That's your part of the bargain. For our part we'll do our best to cover up every *!*!*!*! up you make and we will play you in the seniors regardless, sweeeet mate"?

Whilst also sending a message to any of our contracted players, who might be feeling disenchanted at the time, that we will gratefully send them on their way, to where they wish, with the Club wearing the bulk of the cost.

How the Club plays this out should not stop at just sending a message to Jake and the playing group that we will not accept mediocrity in preparation and performance but to exit on these terms will see us demand appropriate compensation.

We've only played half our cards here by sending out the message, and backing the Leadership Group in doing so. Our final play is to be adequately rewarded otherwise we hold our cards for the real reward of the message to the rest of the Group.

Our big challenge right now is to able to bring our best negotiating skills to the fore because we're now navigating in a territory that is Paul Connors strong suit, his bread and butter if you will, and for what he is paid very well to deliver on. This makes me particularly nervous.

Rocket Science
22-09-2017, 04:43 PM
I would love to see Barretts take if we actually kept Jake, how would he spin doctor that ?

Oh that's an easy one. It'd go a lil' something like this ...

"According to internal sources the Bulldogs now privately concede they mishandled the Stringer situation so poorly such that they publicly sabotaged their relationship with a marquee player, badly degrading that player's market value in the process, and any subsequent hope of fetching a remotely satisfactory return via trade.

Their clumsy own goal means they must now attempt to salvage their rapport with a precocious star whose character and confidence they've publicly torched, and hope Stringer can reinvest himself in an employer who pinned many of their premiership defence failings on him to the extent they no longer wanted him in their colours or around his teammates.

How club and player navigate this precarious new world, particularly with Stringer entering the final year of his contract, will be the subject of healthy interest in 2018."

Webby
22-09-2017, 04:45 PM
Unthinkable!

You've nailed it. That's Barrett to a tee! It's personal. It's transparent. He's cashing in what little credibility he has.

Twodogs
22-09-2017, 05:04 PM
Oh that's an easy one. It'd go a lil' something like this ...

"According to internal sources the Bulldogs now privately concede they mishandled the Stringer situation so poorly such that they publicly sabotaged their relationship with a marquee player, badly degrading that player's market value in the process, and any subsequent hope of fetching a remotely satisfactory return via trade.

Their clumsy own goal means they must now attempt to salvage their rapport with a precocious star whose character and confidence they've publicly torched, and hope Stringer can reinvest himself in an employer who pinned many of their premiership defence failings on him to the extent they no longer wanted him in their colours or around his teammates.

How club and player navigate this precarious new world, particularly with Stringer entering the final year of his contract, will be the subject of healthy interest in 2018."

Obsession Damo. And there is nothing healthy about an obsession.

LostDoggy
22-09-2017, 05:14 PM

I'd say it would probably go something like "The Western Bulldogs have made a dramatic u-turn with the Jake Stringer saga and have backed down in their attempt to trade him. The infighting amongst the powers that be at the club has gotten out of control to the point that Luke Beverage has been overruled and Jake Stringer has been welcomed back to the club.

The concerns now are for Jake Stringers mental health and wellbeing after all that poor Jake has had to deal with in the last two years to then be treated like this by the club is disgraceful. The club already has two players battling depression which has now become an AFL investigation into the treatment of the players by the Club."

Remi Moses
22-09-2017, 05:46 PM
Journalist and Barrett is a bit of a reach

always right
22-09-2017, 06:26 PM
I actually know his wife who is a lovely person. She absolutely hates everything AFL so imagine what it must be like living with him.

ledge
22-09-2017, 06:31 PM
I actually know his wife who is a lovely person. She absolutely hates everything AFL so imagine what it must be like living with him.

Of course she would he has nothing but bad stories to tell her.

Doc26
22-09-2017, 06:40 PM

Even if she loved AFL, its hard to imagine living with him.

bulldogtragic
22-09-2017, 06:45 PM
For a bloke everyone doesn't like, there's a lot of talk about him in most threads = DB and his media masters winning.

GVGjr
22-09-2017, 06:48 PM
Does anyone have some suggestions on what might be a doable trade with the Cats?

always right
22-09-2017, 06:58 PM
Does anyone have some suggestions on what might be a doable trade with the Cats?

Cockatoo and second rounder......maybe.

bulldogtragic
22-09-2017, 07:04 PM
(After compo & FS & academy) Geelong's 22 & 33 and Cockatoo --- Stringer & Pick 80

Only if we can points trade with Brisbane & Richmond I posted a page or two back.

LostDoggy
22-09-2017, 07:04 PM
Cockatoo and second rounder......maybe.

Hasn't he got bad hamstrings?

Doc26
22-09-2017, 07:06 PM

It looks univiting from a player trade perspective.

Do we know if the AFL has given them the green light to trade away their 2018 first round?
This may be a better option given the apparent strength of the 2018 draft compared to 2017.

I would be open to Motlop at the right price but only as a Free Agent, and not part of a Stringer deal.

bulldogtragic
22-09-2017, 07:07 PM
Hasn't he got bad hamstrings?

Would need a medical for sure.

bulldogtragic
22-09-2017, 07:08 PM
It looks univiting from a player trade perspective.
Do we know if the AFL has given them the green light to trade away their 2018 first round?
This may be a better option given the apparent strength of the 2018 draft compared to 2017.

I would be open to Motlop at the right price but only as a Free Agent, and not part of a Stringer deal.

Depending on their compo, they could trade it us in the Stringer deal...

Doc26
22-09-2017, 07:12 PM
Depending on their compo, they could trade it us in the Stringer deal...

It's very hard to see Motlop leaving giving Geelong a first round compensation.

I would be holding very firm that the Stringer trade is for nothing less than a low to mid first round selection in 2017 or Geelong's first round in 2018, if the AFL endorses this for them again.

We need elite talent in to supplement our rather plentiful worker bees.

Bulldog4life
22-09-2017, 07:15 PM
Geelong traded a first round pick for Tuohy

Doc26
22-09-2017, 07:23 PM
Geelong traded a first round pick for Tuohy

Yes, their 2017 first round. I was referring to their 2018 first round, if the AFL endorses trading of another consecutive future first round. Otherwise, we would need another Club to get involved for a low to mid first rounder in 2017.

comrade
22-09-2017, 07:36 PM
I'd prefer Parfitt over Cockatoo.

Happy Days
22-09-2017, 07:37 PM
So apparently the last straw was Stringer getting a gigantic chest tattoo around round 21, despite the club insisting he wait until season's end. If true then geez.

hujsh
22-09-2017, 07:40 PM
So apparently the last straw was Stringer getting a gigantic chest tattoo around round 21, despite the club insisting he wait until season's end. If true then geez.

He sure picked a great hill to die on with that one.

bulldogtragic
22-09-2017, 07:47 PM

Good thing he did his hammy in the first minute in round 22. Chest marking would've been difficult/painful/near impossible.

I hope it's a huge 80's style Footscray Bulldog that everyone can see when he takes his playing jumper off.

chef
22-09-2017, 07:56 PM
I would hope the club/bevo isnt that petty.

bulldogtragic
22-09-2017, 07:59 PM

I'd heard Bob Murphy say it's been two years of issues. Jake at that presser talked about two years as well. The first 999 cuts don't kill you, it's the 1,000 cut.

Rocket Science
22-09-2017, 08:01 PM
I get they were fed up well before then, but why would the club give two shits about a player getting tattooed?

bulldogtragic
22-09-2017, 08:04 PM
I get they were fed up well before then, but why would the club give two shits about a player getting tattooed?

Maybe it impacted his rehab for his hammy, appointments, doing everything he was meant to be doing etc. Coincidentally he did his hammy again first game back at the opening. Coincidentally that game cost us finals opportunity. A lot of coincidences I know.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
22-09-2017, 08:06 PM
What hurts is whilst it clearly seems to be untenable for Jake to remain - you just don't decide to move a player of Jake's ability on for sheer shits and giggles- you just know he's going to turn it around at another club.
And its going to hurt watching him do it for the next decade somewhere else.
I'd be less upset if we were the club that was able to attract players of his ilk via trade, but we are clearly not seen as a destinstion club for marquee players. We have to draft those types and they're few and far between.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
22-09-2017, 08:12 PM
If we end up getting bent over by Geelong there are going to be a lot of very angry supporters.
I want to believe we have a game plan for how to manage this and we don't blink...and find ourselves accepting pick 20 and a spud like Rhys Stanley or a Menzel or Motlop.

bulldogtragic
22-09-2017, 08:23 PM
At this rate of the pre-lim, Stringer will be announcing Geelong as his preferred destination at half time.

LostDoggy
22-09-2017, 08:23 PM
I'd heard Bob Murphy say it's been two years of issues. Jake at that presser talked about two years as well. The first 999 cuts don't kill you, it's the 1,000 cut.

Usually when something finally snaps it's from something small.

chef
22-09-2017, 08:24 PM

Yeah, im struggling to be rational about all this.

bulldogtragic
22-09-2017, 08:29 PM

More than anything the Mitch Wallis interview eased my concern of a stuff up by the club. I just don't understand why he won't change despite the players, captain and coaches clearly begging/telling him to. It shits me. We just have to get a good trade now. But none of us have to like it as you say.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
22-09-2017, 08:32 PM

Me too. On the one hand i can clearly understand and accept that the club would not have gone down this road lightly. Clearly there is history and a lack of ownership from Jake's part to address issues.

It still doesn't stop me from being annoyed and frustrated that we're going to lose a talented player and possibly be screwed over in the process.

Bulldog4life
22-09-2017, 08:46 PM
Yes, their 2017 first round. I was referring to their 2018 first round, if the AFL endorses trading of another consecutive future first round. Otherwise, we would need another Club to get involved for a low to mid first rounder in 2017.
Yes agree. My point was a first rounder for Tuohy. We need more than that.....whatever pick that was.

GVGjr
22-09-2017, 09:22 PM
Back to the trade value, could we get them to agree for a swap of our pick 26 and their pick 20 this year plus their first round pick next year?

bulldogtragic
22-09-2017, 09:26 PM
Back to the trade value, could we get them to agree for a swap of our pick 26 and their pick 20 this year plus their first round pick next year?

If hypothetically Stringer improves them fractionally. Then it's a 6 pick upgrade this year and pick 16-18 next year. I'm not thrilled.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
22-09-2017, 09:29 PM

Are they allowed to trade another future pick at this trade period?
Its highly likely to still end up a late 1st rounder, so I'm still not convinced a 6 pick upgrade this year and a late 1st rounder next is equitable

Twodogs
22-09-2017, 09:29 PM

I don't see it as petty. The club told Jake not to do something and presumably they had a reason for. But Jake went ahead I anfd did it anyway.

Bulldog4life
22-09-2017, 09:34 PM

I would rather tell them we want a top 10 pick at a minimum. Let them try to organize one. We are in the box seat. We don't want to be the first to blink.

ledge
22-09-2017, 09:34 PM
Paid 500,000 a year to delay a tattoo for two weeks, I think i could wait.

bulldogtragic
22-09-2017, 09:36 PM
Paid 500,000 a year to delay a tattoo for two weeks, I think i could wait.

He cant wait two weeks. You waited what, 40 odd years? :D

ledge
22-09-2017, 09:54 PM
He cant wait two weeks. You waited what, 40 odd years? :D

Haha try 52 years! And I get a lot less that 500,000 !

Doc26
22-09-2017, 10:16 PM

That looks like something to work with.

There are no certainties that Geelong will be at the pointy end next season. They are losing a fair bit of experience in their backline again with Lonergan and Mackie retiring. Motlop a possibility to depart, and there are other Teams on the rise that will challenge for their position. It's certainly not all upside for them. And they will be at the tough end of the fixturing. Hey, and the BT thread alone that tracks the likelihood of our pick from them throughout the season will be well worth it.

bulldogtragic
22-09-2017, 10:21 PM

There are no certainties that Geelong will be at the pointy end next season. They are losing a fair bit of experience in their backline again with Lonergan and Mackie retiring. Motlop a possibility to depart, and there are other Teams on the rise that will challenge for their position. It's certainly not all upside for them. And they will be at the tough end of the fixturing. Hey, and the BT thread alone that tracks the likelihood of our pick from them throughout the season will be well worth it.

A bit better thread than 'we swapped 39 for 44'. Hopefully.

They may be after Fletcher Roberts they're that lean down back next year.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
22-09-2017, 10:24 PM
A bit better thread than 'we swapped 39 for 44'. Hopefully.

They may be after Fletcher Roberts they're that lean down back next year.

Michael Talia is available?

bulldogtragic
22-09-2017, 10:25 PM
Michael Talia is available?

Even better!!

GVGjr
22-09-2017, 10:26 PM
If hypothetically Stringer improves them fractionally. Then it's a 6 pick upgrade this year and pick 16-18 next year. I'm not thrilled.

It's very likely a stronger draft next year and I'm not convinced that Geelong will be a top 4 side next season.
Points wise even if Geelong finished 4th the combined upgrade in 2017 and then the pick in 2018 would be around pick 12 in a stronger draft.
Not ideal but something we might be able to work with if there was a player thrown into the mix.

It might also give us better options with a 3rd club.

bulldogtragic
22-09-2017, 10:30 PM
It's very likely a stronger draft next year and I'm not convinced that Geelong will be a top 4 side next season.
Points wise even if Geelong finished 4th the combined upgrade in 2017 and then the pick in 2018 would be around pick 12 in a stronger draft.
Not ideal but something we might be able to work with if there was a player thrown into the mix.

Would the AFEL allow them to trade out a first 3 years running though?

After watching tonight, I'm happy to pay it more attention. A player we really want (at the level of the trade around it) would be better as you say.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
22-09-2017, 10:41 PM

That's all mechanically pragmatic but does the club have other emotive external factors that may unduly influence their deliberations?

The noise around Jake's departure has a similar gravity to it as Griffen's departure with all of the media hyperbole around it.
Will the club feel compelled to act in a way that seeks to attenuate the possible fan/media fallout, or will pragmatism rule?

GVGjr
22-09-2017, 10:56 PM
That's all mechanically pragmatic but does the club have other emotive external factors that may unduly influence their deliberations?

The noise around Jake's departure has a similar gravity to it as Griffen's departure with all of the media hyperbole around it.
Will the club feel compelled to act in a way that seeks to attenuate the possible fan/media fallout, or will pragmatism rule?

Your point is well made, it could very well be a bit of this and that. Ideally we get something now to offset the enormity of the departure rather than playing the long game and focus on the future.
12 months ago after 2 flags we were staring at strong few years ahead of us so it will be hard for some to accept we may have to take a hit before we improve.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
22-09-2017, 11:11 PM
Your point is well made, it could very well be a bit of this and that. Ideally we get something now to offset the enormity of the departure rather than playing the long game and focus on the future.
12 months ago after 2 flags we were staring at strong few years ahead of us so it will be hard for some to accept we may have to take a hit before we improve.

I wonder whether some pressure could be removed by going to Bont's management now and getting a long term deal worked out. This would serve the dual purpose of removing any ensuing media narrative and speculation as to our trajectory and would also make a pragmatic trade along the lines as you've proposed more justifiable to those Dogs supporters riled by Jake's leaving.

As Bulldogtragic has accounted, we have big salary coin available in our pocket, and the trade targets that might warrant that surplus is rapidly diminishing.
We could do worse than use it on some key long term re-signings like Bont, Macrae, Daniel etc..
That could make a powerful statement.

bornadog
22-09-2017, 11:27 PM

MaCartney went berserk when Sherman showed up at preseason with a great big tattoo across his chest. It was a hot day and he had his shirt off.

Twodogs
22-09-2017, 11:55 PM

It might well be worth taking the gamble on Geelong's ladder position next year. But they always seem to uncover just as many players as thet need in the positions they need.

MaCartney went berserk when Sherman showed up at preseason with a great big tattoo across his chest. It was a hot day and he had his shirt off.

Webby
23-09-2017, 12:04 AM
It might well be worth taking the gamble on Geelong's ladder position next year. But they always seem to uncover just as many players as thet need in the positions they need.

That's largely because they've been topping up on short to medium term solutions in the form of mature reinforcements.

That'll catch up with them, imo.

Bulldog4life
23-09-2017, 01:03 AM
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/jake-stringer-confident-of-trade-to-geelong-relationship-with-western-bulldogs-irreparable/news-story/fa1386d1e7e5b39e718ffccad70da05c

JAKE Stringer has ruled out making up with the Western Bulldogs and is confident he can get to Geelong despite its lack of early draft picks.

Stringer remains baffled by the Dogs’ decision to move him on and will eventually state a single club to which he wants to be traded.

Senior Bulldogs, including retiring captain Bob Murphy and Dale Morris, have this week stated they believe the relationship can be patched up.

But Stringer has quickly moved on mentally and will under no circumstances attempt to make up with the club and return there next season.

It has been made clear there is no way back for either party, with Stringer quickly turning his focus to slotting into another club with premiership hopes.

Geelong’s first pick is No.20, significantly inferior to Essendon’s pick 11, which could make a trade harder to arrange should he choose the Cats.

Stringer has spoken to Essendon and will soon discuss his future with Geelong, which is at the front of the queue to acquire him.

But his management is confident Geelong would be able to secure a deal that will satisfy the Dogs despite their lesser starting point.

Happy Days
23-09-2017, 01:38 AM

I'm presuming it's because of the risk of infection with Jake.

dog town
23-09-2017, 05:43 AM
J-Mac spotted in Adelaide yesterday. You would think he was more than likely having a look at someone from Geelong to see if we can add them to their first pick.

ledge
23-09-2017, 06:59 AM
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/jake-stringer-confident-of-trade-to-geelong-relationship-with-western-bulldogs-irreparable/news-story/fa1386d1e7e5b39e718ffccad70da05c

JAKE Stringer has ruled out making up with the Western Bulldogs and is confident he can get to Geelong despite its lack of early draft picks.

Stringer remains baffled by the Dogs’ decision to move him on and will eventually state a single club to which he wants to be traded.

Senior Bulldogs, including retiring captain Bob Murphy and Dale Morris, have this week stated they believe the relationship can be patched up.

But Stringer has quickly moved on mentally and will under no circumstances attempt to make up with the club and return there next season.

It has been made clear there is no way back for either party, with Stringer quickly turning his focus to slotting into another club with premiership hopes.

Geelong’s first pick is No.20, significantly inferior to Essendon’s pick 11, which could make a trade harder to arrange should he choose the Cats.

Stringer has spoken to Essendon and will soon discuss his future with Geelong, which is at the front of the queue to acquire him.

But his management is confident Geelong would be able to secure a deal that will satisfy the Dogs despite their lesser starting point.

Who wrote this ?
Where does Stringer or his management state their is no way back , seems a repeat article written in another way about 30 times now.

bulldogtragic
23-09-2017, 08:56 AM

Cool. If true, Stringer can have a gap year. That's fine.

Bulldog4life
23-09-2017, 09:06 AM
Cooney puts his bib in again and now saying Stanley and a second rounder should do it for Stringer. Just finished tweeting him telling him politely that he is dreaming.

Bulldog4life
23-09-2017, 09:06 AM
Who wrote this ?
Where does Stringer or his management state their is no way back , seems a repeat article written in another way about 30 times now.

Ralph I think

comrade
23-09-2017, 09:35 AM
Rhys Stanley? Cooney is clearly taking the ****.

GVGjr
23-09-2017, 09:45 AM
Cooney puts his bib in again and now saying Stanley and a second rounder should do it for Stringer. Just finished tweeting him telling him politely that he is dreaming.

Given Bevo's want for mobile ruckman I wouldn't rule that suggestion out completely but I could see Geelong making that sort of offer.

From memory Geelong gave up a pick in early the 20's for Stanley which means at best Cooney values Stringer as being worth 2 x second rounders which of course isn't anywhere near enough.

comrade
23-09-2017, 09:50 AM
Given Bevo's want for mobile ruckman I wouldn't rule that suggestion out completely but I could see Geelong making that sort of offer.

From memory Geelong gave up a pick in early the 20's for Stanley which means at best Cooney values Stringer as being worth 2 x second rounders which of course isn't anywhere near enough.

That sort of footy math doesn't work. No one in their right ind would offer an early 20s pick for Stanley now. Geelong overpaid then and his value has only decreased since.

I wouldn't give up a pick in the top 30-40 for Stanley on his own, so if we accept pick 20 & Stanley we're effectively saying Stringer is worth an early second and a third rounder.

Sedat
23-09-2017, 09:51 AM
Been giving this some thought and I would entertain Motlop as part of a Stringer trade - something like Motlop and next year's first round pick for Stringer. Motlop is the most maligned player at Geelong but he has been one of their best players this finals series and has plenty of assets that we lack in spades - elite tank, elite pace, creativity. He has his flaws but as an outside 'flair' player he has so many more runs on the board than the likes of Lewis Jetta and Gary Rohan.

bulldogtragic
23-09-2017, 09:53 AM
Been giving this some thought and I would entertain Motlop as part of a Stringer trade - something like Motlop and next year's first round pick for Stringer. Motlop is the most maligned player at Geelong but he has been one of their best players this finals series and has plenty of assets that we lack in spades - elite tank, elite pace, creativity. He has his flaws but as an outside 'flair' player he has so many more runs on the board than the likes of Lewis Jetta and Gary Rohan.

Motlop is a free agent and not needed in a trade. We can grab him for free in addition to a possible trade. I'd target Cockatoo personally if he passes a medical. His kicking around the 50m arc was something we need.

GVGjr
23-09-2017, 09:55 AM
That sort of footy math doesn't work. No one in their right ind would offer an early 20s pick for Stanley now. Geelong overpaid then and his value has only decreased since.

I wouldn't give up a pick in the top 30-40 for Stanley on his own, so if we accept pick 20 & Stanley we're effectively saying Stringer is worth an early second and a third rounder.

I agree it won't happen but I could see us making a move for a Rhys Stanley type

kruder
23-09-2017, 09:55 AM
You wouldn't take Stanley for free! He is an athlete not an AFL footballer. I have a feeling Lang will be involved in the trade somehow if we do deal with them.

Remi Moses
23-09-2017, 10:07 AM

Not one quote from Stringer or his manager . Another first clas piece of drivel

hujsh
23-09-2017, 10:18 AM

Not one quote from Stringer or his manager . Another first clas piece of drivel

I was about to point out the same thing. Not one quote from a first second or third source.

The Doctor
23-09-2017, 10:25 AM
Can any comment from Cooney be banned please. What a tosser.

G-Mo77
23-09-2017, 10:31 AM

Isn't he! Every time he opens his trap I cringe.

Twodogs
23-09-2017, 11:16 AM
That's largely because they've been topping up on short to medium term solutions in the form of mature reinforcements.

That'll catch up with them, imo.

The same as recruiting Stringer and Ablett might forestall that dive down the ladder a bit but make it much worse.

I can't believe we used to go out with him.:rolleyes: what were we thinking?

Sedat
23-09-2017, 11:19 AM
Motlop is a free agent and not needed in a trade. We can grab him for free in addition to a possible trade. I'd target Cockatoo personally if he passes a medical. His kicking around the 50m arc was something we need.
If we've nailed our FA mast to Trengove, wouldn't we then need to trade for another FA?

bulldogtragic
23-09-2017, 11:20 AM
If we've nailed our FA mast to Trengove, wouldn't we then need to trade for another FA?

Don't believe so. North grabbed Higgins & Waite in 2014 under FA.

LostDoggy
23-09-2017, 11:25 AM
Isn't he! Every time he opens his trap I cringe.

Even I'm starting to turn on him.

Sedat
23-09-2017, 11:30 AM
Don't believe so. North grabbed Higgins & Waite in 2014 under FA.
Fair enough, I always thought teams can only get one FA in any given trade period. With that in mind, I'd like us to look at Motlop as a FA to address some glaring deficiencies in our midfield group.

And Stringer for Cockatoo and next year's 1st round pick is a good starting point with the Cats.

bulldogtragic
23-09-2017, 11:35 AM
Fair enough, I always thought teams can only get one FA in any given trade period. With that in mind, I'd like us to look at Motlop as a FA to address some glaring deficiencies in our midfield group.

And Stringer for Cockatoo and next year's 1st round pick is a good starting point with the Cats.

This may be more along the lines of the JMc target thread... I will post it there.

GVGjr
23-09-2017, 11:39 AM

The Cats are very unlikely to trade Cockatoo so Motlop as a FA might be worth a good look at.
If we lose Stringer we are going to need a couple of quick wins as good news stories.

bulldogtragic
23-09-2017, 11:41 AM
The Cats are very unlikely to trade Cockatoo so Motlop as a FA might be worth a good look at.
If we lose Stringer we are going to need a couple of quick wins as good news stories.

That's why we should be targeting him. Offering Stanley or Cowan won't get it done. To get good talent, you have to give good talent/picks.

anfo27
23-09-2017, 11:44 AM

Hawks did it last year with Ricky Henderson & Ty Vickery

GVGjr
23-09-2017, 12:00 PM
Hawks did it last year with Ricky Henderson & Ty Vickery

I haven't met a Hawks supporter that wouldn't gladly agree the Hawks should pay half his wage in an effort to trade him away.

The Bulldogs Bite
23-09-2017, 12:45 PM
I'm a fan of Motlop but it would be ironic if we went after him and turfed Stringer simultaneously.

I can see Geelong offering Pick 20 & Lang or Thurlow.

They won't offer Cockatoo - they love him.

bulldogtragic
23-09-2017, 01:10 PM
I'm a fan of Motlop but it would be ironic if we went after him and turfed Stringer simultaneously.

They can give us Cockatoo, and Stringer can get the #5 jumper and further believe he's Gary Ablett Snr.

bornadog
23-09-2017, 01:15 PM
Cool. If true, Stringer can have a gap year. That's fine.

I would prefer he has a gap year with all this denial that he doesn't know why he is being moved on. He can stick it if these reports are true. I don't care if it costs us a good pick.

GVGjr
23-09-2017, 01:16 PM

How would Lang fit into our side? He has struggled a bit for games at the Cattery

Thurlow has had some injury challenges and he's a low possession winning 190cm defender with below average skills which I don't think we have a spot for.

bulldogtragic
23-09-2017, 01:17 PM
I would prefer he has a gap year with all this denial that he doesn't know why he is being moved on. He can stick it if these reports are true. I don't care if it costs us a good pick.

Don't worry, pick 20 is an average pick in an average draft. Easily worth him having a gap year if he and Geelong or others don't give us something of value.

The Bulldogs Bite
23-09-2017, 02:29 PM
How would Lang fit into our side? He has struggled a bit for games at the Cattery

Thurlow has had some injury challenges and he's a low possession winning 190cm defender with below average skills which I don't think we have a spot for.

Lang has had some injuries this season but he is a neat player. More that half forward who could push up to the wings.

I still wouldn't accept 20 + Lang but IMO that's what Geelong will look at offering.

comrade
23-09-2017, 09:37 PM
Don't worry, pick 20 is an average pick in an average draft. Easily worth him having a gap year if he and Geelong or others don't give us something of value.

If pick 20 is all we can conjure up for Stringer, then I would happily let him rot in football purgatory for 12 months. I'd love it if we publicly stated that was our position.

GWS played hardball with McCarthy and it seemed like bad business at the time, but it sends a message to contracted players that they can't nominate and expect the existing club to get bent over for unders.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
23-09-2017, 09:58 PM
Just finished watching last year's Semi final against the Hawks....can't believe its come to this.
I keep hoping Jake is going to have a road to Damascus moment and just realise what he's leaving behind..As important as he is to us..so we are to him. I wish there was some way it could be retrieved. I know it won't.

Just makes watching 2016 finals matches a tiny bit less satisfying for me though.

bulldogtragic
23-09-2017, 10:25 PM
Get a top 11 pick. Put it with 9. Put the spare cash with our existing spare cash and a monster offer to Ward, despite his contract. To make up for low balling him last time.

GWS may not be the dynasty we all thought. Mumford, Gryphone, Johnson, Lids, Shaw, Mzungu at best have a year. Not at their career best either. Ward has lost four prelims in a row. Maybe a chance to come home, huge money, a team likely to win a flag before he retires and be our LeBron.

He can say no, or...

1eyedog
23-09-2017, 10:38 PM
Callan Ward was one of their few shining lights tonight but he's not a world beater and not worth throwing the sink at.

Unlike Ward Rockliff is a free agent and will provide a similar return. Is more dangerous in front of goal as well.

Go hard I reckon.

bulldogtragic
23-09-2017, 10:44 PM
Callan Ward was one of their few shining lights tonight but he's not a world beater and not worth throwing the sink at.

Unlike Ward Rockliff is a free agent and will provide a similar return. Is more dangerous in front of goal as well.

Go hard I reckon.

Ward’s 2017 has been crazy good mega awesome spectacular:

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-greater-western-sydney-giants--callan-ward

GVGjr
23-09-2017, 11:48 PM

Go hard I reckon.

I like the idea of getting Rocky but I think we are starting from a long way behind other clubs and I question the impact of offering a silly money contract to him because of the messages it sends others in the group. Have we been linked to him in any way yet?

What sort of dollar value would you offer?

Could we do something like offering him 5 years at 750K per season plus another 5 at 200K? On the surface it's a huge commitment and over the top but obviously the last 5 is sweetener for him to be drawing a pay cheque over the long term even after he has retired and 200K will be bugger all in 7 years time so it wouldn't impact the cap.

chef
24-09-2017, 07:08 AM
Just finished watching last year's Semi final against the Hawks....can't believe its come to this.
I keep hoping Jake is going to have a road to Damascus moment and just realise what he's leaving behind..As important as he is to us..so we are to him. I wish there was some way it could be retrieved. I know it won't.

Just makes watching 2016 finals matches a tiny bit less satisfying for me though.

Watching Dusty for the Tiges too. They were where we are now and found a solution.

Twodogs
24-09-2017, 07:29 AM
Watching Dusty for the Tiges too. They were where we are now and found a solution.

It wasn't really a solution, no one else wanted Dustin Martin so he went back to Richmond with his tail between his legs. If any club showed interest Dusty would be playing for them now.

chef
24-09-2017, 07:44 AM
It wasn't really a solution, no one else wanted Dustin Martin so he went back to Richmond with his tail between his legs. If any club showed interest Dusty would be playing for them now.

They still found a solution to make it work.

westbulldog
24-09-2017, 12:02 PM
If that decision is to be made I would prefer Ward before Rockliff. Geelong's second level players are not worth it imo and Motlop is too inconsistent, goes missing at times.

1eyedog
24-09-2017, 06:36 PM
I like the idea of getting Rocky but I think we are starting from a long way behind other clubs and I question the impact of offering a silly money contract to him because of the messages it sends others in the group. Have we been linked to him in any way yet?

Could we do something like offering him 5 years at 750K per season plus another 5 at 200K? On the surface it's a huge commitment and over the top but obviously the last 5 is sweetener for him to be drawing a pay cheque over the long term even after he has retired and 200K will be bugger all in 7 years time so it wouldn't impact the cap.

This is the type of scenario that could make it work. It has to be sweet because, as you note, we are behind the 8 ball. I like Rocky a lot and think he is the one player that may be available that goes some way to off-setting the loss of Stringer.

Twodogs
24-09-2017, 06:40 PM
Like I said Ward can GAGF.

bulldogtragic
24-09-2017, 06:43 PM

Have to disagree. It's time to bring a lost dog home. We forced him there through incompetence. Enough punishment for him, I'd welcome him back with glee. Let alone the irony of taking their captain under contract.

chef
24-09-2017, 06:46 PM

Yeah, i dont want him back either. He could have stayed but chose to chase the dollar. Hope he never wins anything anywhere.

bulldogtragic
24-09-2017, 06:48 PM
Yeah, i dont want him back either. He could have stayed but chose to chase the dollar. Hope he never wins anything anywhere.

That's not even close to what happened.

chef
24-09-2017, 06:53 PM

Well he didnt go there to be closer to his family.

bornadog
24-09-2017, 06:54 PM

I feel the same Chef

bulldogtragic
24-09-2017, 07:00 PM
Well he didnt go there to be closer to his family.

We had an opportunity to re-contract him and instead of doing, the club's representative insulted him with an offensive offer. Pretty much everyone at the club wanted him signed quickly and fairly and we didn't do it. We upset him, and before it he didn't consider leaving. Then GWS happened to be around all of a sudden with a multiple fold offer and the rest if history. If the club handled his recontracting competently, he'd be the Bulldogs captain next year.

I have sources of close friends of his, good oil from the club then and corroboration from posters on here. We created the cause for him to leave which is an indictment on the handling of his recontracting. I don't and won't blame him. As I say, I want him back.

bulldogtragic
24-09-2017, 07:04 PM
I mean, how would we feel offering Bonts $500,000 to stay? We'd be furious.

GVGjr
24-09-2017, 07:08 PM

A very convenient and one sided view.
He was low-balled and was dicked around by a coach and GM of footy that weren't working well together

ledge
24-09-2017, 07:12 PM
Bloody hell, listening to Sen they mentioned us and Jack Watts !

GVGjr
24-09-2017, 07:22 PM
Bloody hell, listening to Sen they mentioned us and Jack Watts !

In what context? As in it would be a good fix or that we had made inquires?

ledge
24-09-2017, 08:02 PM
In what context? As in it would be a good fix or that we had made inquires?

Named us as being a team that had shown interest.

Nuggety Back Pocket
24-09-2017, 08:04 PM

Ward was a huge loss to the Dogs and proved to be a great leader with GWS. We are sadly lacking depth in the midfield at the moment Callan Ward would be a great get.

GVGjr
24-09-2017, 08:07 PM
Named us as being a team that had shown interest.

Interesting, I wonder if someone has been reading some of the comments here

GVGjr
24-09-2017, 08:07 PM
Ward was a huge loss to the Dogs and proved to be a great leader with GWS. We are sadly lacking depth in the midfield at the moment Callan Ward would be a great get.

Ward won't be back.

josie
24-09-2017, 08:08 PM
As long as we do not sell the farm I'd have Ward back. He was bloody good when he played for us, bloody good for plastics and still young. A good, fair, tough player unlike a lot of his mug co-plastics. Imagine the plastic and RWB hating media heads exploding if we steal their (co)captain? Oh yeah, love to see that!!!

ledge
24-09-2017, 08:14 PM
Interesting, I wonder if someone has been reading some of the comments here

The main clubs were Carlton and the Pies they thought.

Bulldog4life
25-09-2017, 12:10 AM

He was a loss but if he stayed we wouldn't have Jackson.

Twodogs
25-09-2017, 12:15 AM

He's since re-signed with GWS. The poor bugger me story doesn't hold water. Ward's manager was playing games at the time too.

Ward won't be back.

Good.

But they all end up coming back anyway. Dempsey was out on the ground on after the GF last year. I almost felt kindly toward him.

ledge
25-09-2017, 04:12 AM
He's since re-signed with GWS. The poor bugger me story doesn't hold water. Ward's manager was playing games at the time too.

Good.

But they all end up coming back anyway. Dempsey was out on the ground on after the GF last year. I almost felt kindly toward him.

Dempsey a different story , he spent ten years with us , won a Brownlow , was aging and footy was only part time then , north went out and threw huge cash at him , it was the start of the cash era .
Ward left before his career had got going , in saying that it was still the clubs fault we lost him .

GVGjr
25-09-2017, 05:46 AM
Anyway, we don't want to turn the Stringer trade value thread into the the reasons behind the Cal Ward departure.

I still want a top 12 pick for Stringer with maybe something else to sweeten the offer

Twodogs
25-09-2017, 06:21 AM
Anyway, we don't want to turn the Stringer trade value thread into the the reasons behind the Cal Ward departure.

I still want a top 12 pick for Stringer with maybe something else to sweeten the offer

Yep, agreed. I've said my piece about Cal Ward, several times in fact, let's get back to the topic.

chef
25-09-2017, 06:50 AM
A very convenient and one sided view.
He was low-balled and was dicked around by a coach and GM of footy that weren't working well together

No doubt we didnt offer anywhere near enough for his manager to be happy once GWS came in with their godfather offer.

But probs not the thread for this stuff again.

chef
25-09-2017, 06:51 AM
Some talk Stringer will have to take a pay cut and Geelong will be offering pick 20 for him.

GVGjr
25-09-2017, 07:30 AM
No doubt we didnt offer anywhere near enough for his manager to be happy once GWS came in with their godfather offer.

But probs not the thread for this stuff again.

My final say on this, had we been reasonable with the initial 12 months earlier it would have been done and dusted. We are talking about him being seriously low balled and the two senior people in the footy department not getting together to get it fixed despite assuring they would. We opened the door for GWS to make that huge offer and it was never a money thing because before that Ward and his manager just didn't think we were that serious about him. We got serious later on but it was late.

GVGjr
25-09-2017, 07:30 AM
Some talk Stringer will have to take a pay cut and Geelong will be offering pick 20 for him.
I think they mean as a starting point.

chef
25-09-2017, 07:43 AM
My final say on this, had we been reasonable with the initial 12 months earlier it would have been done and dusted. We are talking about him being seriously low balled and the two senior people in the footy department not getting together to get it fixed despite assuring they would. We opened the door for GWS to make that huge offer and it was never a money thing because before that Ward and his manager just didn't think we were that serious about him. We got serious later on but it was late.

Yeah no doubt we made this a problem it should never have been too. Happy to never think about this situation ever again:(

comrade
25-09-2017, 07:46 AM

I struggle to see Stringer taking a pay cut willingly.

Maybe there's not so much demand for him on the market after all?

Twodogs
25-09-2017, 07:54 AM
I don't think the idea is for Stringer to take a pay cut at all.

Mantis
25-09-2017, 08:58 AM
Yep, agreed. I've said my piece about Cal Ward, several times in fact, let's get back to the topic.

Wow.

Bulldog Revolution
25-09-2017, 09:00 AM

Absolutely

Whilst the talk has been cats - they don't have the picks or the assets

plus they likely don't have quite the salary that jakes wants - 600k plus per season

Saints dons and north enter the frame?

Doc26
25-09-2017, 09:43 AM

If this is indeed their starting point we should very firmly respond in kind and say "No, he's a contracted player, come back when you're serious, and don't offend us again".

Here we have a Club in Geelong, with the least to offer of any other Victorian based Club, trying to pry a top 5 selection from us, with the player, a 22 year old All Australian goal scorer, in most respects having proven his worth at this selection, and now dealing with some growing pains amplified by a break-up with his partner this season.

It is ludicrous to hear, given that we still have a year to turn this situation around with a supposedly great man manager in Bevo at the helm, that we have to put up with time wasting low-ball offers from our most threatening opponents for a contracted player albeit one that we have challenged to make right.

Bulldog4life
25-09-2017, 10:39 AM
If this is indeed their starting point we should very firmly respond in kind and say "No, he's a contracted player, come back when you're serious, and don't offend us again".

Here we have a Club in Geelong, with the least to offer of any other Victorian based Club, trying to pry a top 5 selection from us, with the player, a 22 year old All Australian goal scorer, in most respects having proven his worth at this selection, and now dealing with some growing pains amplified by a break-up with his partner this season.

It is ludicrous to hear, given that we still have a year to turn this situation around with a supposedly great man manager in Bevo at the helm, that we have to put up with time wasting low-ball offers from our most threatening opponents for a contracted player albeit one that we have challenged to make right.

Agree 100% Doc. I can only hope that the Club has got a bloody good plan to make sure we are not bent over. I will be furious if we are.

Mantis
25-09-2017, 11:05 AM
Agree 100% Doc. I can only hope that the Club has got a bloody good plan to make sure we are not bent over. I will be furious if we are.

Do we need a plan?

Just need to have a minimum requirement for the trigger point to sign off on the trade.

Twodogs
25-09-2017, 11:52 AM
Do we need a plan?

Just need to have a minimum requirement for the trigger point to sign off on the trade.

Correct. We need to draw a line in the sand (I hate that saying but it's appropriate here) and not go past it. "We want a top ten pick (or whatever) or Jake stays contracted to the western bulldogs" isn't a complicated equation.

chef
25-09-2017, 12:39 PM
Maybe there's not so much demand for him on the market after all?

Is there a chance we misread how much he'd be in demand or has our cards on the table approach scared off a few clubs?

It's a bit of a worry he seems like he'll choose Geelong and they haven't got much to trade.

jeemak
25-09-2017, 01:01 PM
Is there a chance we misread how much he'd be in demand or has our cards on the table approach scared off a few clubs?

It's a bit of a worry he seems like he'll choose Geelong and they haven't got much to trade.

Once again it comes down to us standing firm with what we believe he is worth.

I don't see him getting to Geelong without a third and maybe fourth club becoming involved - and trades like this can take a while to execute.

Doc26
25-09-2017, 01:04 PM

On the flipside, I feel it's just as reasonable to presume that there are numerous Club's very interested but they've managed at this early stage to keep their interest / negotiations in-house, particularly while they cover off their due diligence and reassess their requirements given that Jake' availability has only come about at season's end. My intuition says that Clubs will be clamouring for Jake's services at the pointy end of trade week, assuming a deal isn't stitched up well before then, and assuming that there isn't anything more sinister behind Jake's fall from grace than what we've heard.

GVGjr
25-09-2017, 01:12 PM

They never have anything to trade but they mostly get the deals done. It's their job to satisfy our demands. Pick 20 and a marginal player isn't going to get it done. Perhaps next years first round pick is a good starting point.

Twodogs
25-09-2017, 01:15 PM
They never have anything to trade but they mostly get the deals done. It's their job to satisfy our demands. Pick 20 and a marginal player isn't going to get it done. Perhaps next years first round pick is a good starting point.

Yeah I think that next year's pick is going to have to get involved.

Bulldog Revolution
25-09-2017, 01:52 PM
They have a lot of fringe players to make decisions on at the cattery

Thurlow, Cowan, Murdoch, Lang, And then Motlop

They need to exit salary to bring in Stringer, Ablett and perhaps Devon Smith

Rocket Science
25-09-2017, 05:00 PM
They have a lot of fringe players to make decisions on at the cattery

Effectively, anyone not named Dangerfield or Selwood.

And may their flaky fringe players remain their problem, not ours.

bornadog
25-09-2017, 05:26 PM
Effectively, anyone not named Dangerfield or Selwood.

And may their flaky fringe players remain their problem, not ours.

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/feb-2000-andrew-wills-for-the-western-bulldogs-in-action-during-the-picture-id1022475?s=594x594

JohnGentStand
25-09-2017, 05:32 PM
We throw out the olive branch in a little while and he either takes it or considers it, timed well like the 'on the market' call at an auction.Enter feeding frenzy. FWIW i would love him to stay. Generational alpha male talent if fulfilled - a la Dusty

Rocket Science
25-09-2017, 05:33 PM
http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/feb-2000-andrew-wills-for-the-western-bulldogs-in-action-during-the-picture-id1022475?s=594x594

Oh dear.

Exactly!

Hotdog60
25-09-2017, 05:59 PM
May be the club is letting him see the grass isn't always greener.

Axe Man
25-09-2017, 06:04 PM

I had no idea the guy from Tripod played for us!

ledge
25-09-2017, 07:28 PM
We used to take all Their fringe players .. Tim Callan , Robbins ( who I liked )
They weren't bad players , serviceable but not rubbish.

Remi Moses
25-09-2017, 07:41 PM

Reading the 1997 tweets he polled incredibly well in that year .Didnt he leave Geelong under unsavoury terms ?

ledge
25-09-2017, 07:47 PM
He went to freo first then us didn't he ?

ReLoad
25-09-2017, 07:52 PM
He went to freo first then us didn't he ?

Go the Flying Egg!

A long history of Ekers to wear the number #1 for us.

Dry Rot
25-09-2017, 08:41 PM

Twodogs
25-09-2017, 10:24 PM

Streeta. We traded pick 19 for him.

Dry Rot
25-09-2017, 10:43 PM
Worth Pick 1 for him. ;)

Streeta. We traded pick 19 for him.

Twodogs
25-09-2017, 11:09 PM
Worth Pick 1 for him. ;)

It's ironic that 19 is close to what Geelong is offering for Stringer.

Lets just mention that again. Peter Street. Jake Stringer.

Remi Moses
26-09-2017, 03:08 PM
We just cannot give up pick 20 for Stringer !Not acceptable, and if that's what's at play here they can get stuffed

jeemak
26-09-2017, 03:12 PM
How does Geelong satisfy GCS's needs for Ablett, plus ours for Stringer with only pick 20 at their disposal?

I can see a lot of ordinary players being bandied about here.

bulldogtragic
26-09-2017, 03:14 PM
How does Geelong satisfy GCS's needs for Ablett, plus ours for Stringer with only pick 20 at their disposal?

They can't. If both clubs hold firm on actually getting market value or near market value.

always right
26-09-2017, 03:17 PM
We used to take all Their fringe players .. Tim Callan , Robbins ( who I liked )
They weren't bad players , serviceable but not rubbish.

Robbins was more than serviceable. Was one of my favourite dogs.

bornadog
26-09-2017, 03:44 PM

From The Age (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/gold-coasts-gary-ablett-formally-asks-to-be-traded-to-geelong-20170926-gyp0pp.html)

Gary Ablett has renewed last year's request and asked the Gold Coast Suns to trade him back to Geelong.

"Gary Ablett today informed the club of his desire to be traded to Geelong during next month's exchange period," Suns chief executive Mark Evans said.

"We indicated to Gary and his manager Liam Pickering that there are conditions that will need to be met for the Gold Coast if this is to be achieved."

"
[List manager] Scott Clayton will be available to meet with Liam and Geelong to ensure these conditions are met."

Those conditions are understood to be a return of up to $300,000 that Ablett received as part of a "front-ended" component to his contract. That is, the Suns have already paid Ablett a portion of his contract for next year and so would want to effectively be repaid that amount for a trade to occur.

The former Geelong premiership player has won a Brownlow Medal at both clubs but for family reasons wishes to return to live in Victoria.
Ablett, 33, played 192 games for the Cats before joining the Suns in a multi-million dollar deal at the end of 2010.

and

GEELONG STATEMENT ON GARY ABLETT:

The Geelong Football Club will work with the Gold Coast Football Club after Gary Ablett today expressed his desire to return to Geelong during the trade period.

The club is respectful of the fact Ablett is a contracted player with the Gold Coast and as such, the Suns have the final say on a trade agreement.

The club will not make any further comment until the trade period.

Happy Days
26-09-2017, 04:10 PM
Okay so following on from the tattoo deal, Jake's just gotten more work done; a cursive piece down the side of his torso, reading "say thank you in advance for what you already have".

Presented without comment.

bornadog
26-09-2017, 04:27 PM
Okay so following on from the tattoo deal, Jake's just gotten more work done; a cursive piece down the side of his torso, reading "say thank you in advance for what you already have".

Presented without comment.

Hey HD, how do you know all this about his Tattoos?

Happy Days
26-09-2017, 04:35 PM
Hey HD, how do you know all this about his Tattoos?

Instagram my dude. Although the first one I heard about through a friend-of-a-friend-of-a-friend-etc., but it appears to be true from this pic;

https://www.instagram.com/p/BZdpDr7Abd5/?taken-by=fine.line.tattoos.melbourne

jeemak
26-09-2017, 04:42 PM
Well it looks like speaking gobshite isn't enough for Jake, and that he has to have it printed on his body.

GVGjr
26-09-2017, 04:48 PM

Pick 20 for Ablett and their first rounder next year to us starts the ball rolling.

There will need to be a sweetener to us.

I wonder if we could get Rory Thompson from GC as part of a deal.

Doc26
26-09-2017, 04:53 PM
Pick 20 for Ablett and their first rounder next year to us starts the ball rolling.

There will need to be a sweetener to us.

I wonder if we could get Rory Thompson from GC as part of a deal.

Whilst I see more value in trading for a Geelong first rounder in the following year's draft and throwing in a sweetener this year, it's going to be a hard sell to the broader Bulldog supporter base to swallow without going rabid at the idea.

This aside I'd prefer us leaning more towards Saad than Thompson if Saad is indeed keen on returning to Melbourne, and assuming that Trengove is locked to us.

boydogs
26-09-2017, 04:56 PM

They have literally one player worth as much as Stringer, and they just traded him in. Selwood & Hawkins are too old. They would have to find a club willing to upgrade their first rounder for a couple of players e.g. 20, Menzel & Blicavs to St Kilda for 8

Remi Moses
26-09-2017, 04:56 PM
Geelong aren't rebuilding , so you'd assume it won't be an early pick again next season .

GVGjr
26-09-2017, 04:59 PM
Whilst I see the value in trading for a Geelong first rounder in the following year's draft and throwing in a sweetener this year, it'ss going to be a hard sell for the broader Bulldog supporter base to swallow without going rabid.

But we might have to suck it up and look at the future. In 12 months we've gone from a position of strength with a playing list to one with a quite a few holes in it so that's most likely not a quick fix. Agree that it will take a bit of spin to sell this to possibly an impatient fan base but we may have to play a longer game. Potentially having 2 x 1st round picks in what is regarded as a super-draft is a far easier sell in another 12 months.

GVGjr
26-09-2017, 05:01 PM
Geelong aren't rebuilding , so you'd assume it won't be an early pick again next season .

They could slip back though and it's a stronger draft. We would need something to sweeten the offer.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
26-09-2017, 05:40 PM
They could slip back though and it's a stronger draft. We would need something to sweeten the offer.

Way too big a risk on accepting their 1st next year on a hope that they 'might slip'. They don't and the addition of Ablett and Stringer nets them another top 4 finish...and we get a pick in the range of 15-18.
That doesn't sit well.

Remi Moses
26-09-2017, 07:52 PM
Way to big a risk on accepting their 1st next year on a hope that they 'might slip'. They don't and the addition of Ablett and Stringer nets them another top 4 finish...and we get a pick in the range of 15-18.
That doesn't sit well.

I don't think they'll slip either , and recruiting Ablett at 34 shows they still think they're in the window .

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
26-09-2017, 08:01 PM
I don't think they'll slip either , and recruiting Ablett at 34 shows they still think they're in the window .

Yep. It would be just a gamble. If Jake is going then we need something tangible in return, if not commensurate in value then at least not a pure gamble.
I know Gary was indicating Geelong would need to throw something else in, but to be honest I'm not sure any 'sweetener' would not wind up tasting bitter should Geelong's 2018 1st round pick end up pick 15-18. Strong draft or not.

bulldogtragic
26-09-2017, 08:10 PM
Yep. It would be just a gamble. If Jake is going then we need something tangible in return, if not commensurate in value then at least not a pure gamble.
I know Gary was indicating Geelong would need to throw something else in, but to be honest I'm not sure any 'sweetener' would not wind up tasting bitter should Geelong's 2018 1st round pick end up pick 15-18. Strong draft or not.

Handing Hawthorn 3 premierships, a Brian a Norm Smith, I'm not inclined to give another team a chance at a flag or three.

I'm ok with factoring in their pick as 16 next year, in taking on the risk (if it's 18 ah well, if it's 10 it's our bonus). So that would leave them well short, unless they give us a player that we really, really want. That's assuming they can future trade a first rounder again.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
26-09-2017, 08:24 PM
Handing Hawthorn 3 premierships, a Brian a Norm Smith, I'm not inclined to give another team a chance at a flag or three.

I'm ok with factoring in their pick as 16 next year, in taking on the risk (if it's 18 ah well, if it's 10 it's our bonus). So that would leave them well short, unless they give us a player that we really, really want. That's assuming they can future trade a first rounder again.

And that's what I mean. The only way next year's 1st round pick works for me is if its secondary..and i don't think Geelong are wanting to part with something that equates to what we'd want in that regard.
They're more likely to float someone like a Lang or Parfitt...thanks....forget it...

Happy Days
26-09-2017, 08:29 PM
So he's met with Essendon, and Landsberger is reporting that 11 alone won't get it done, which warms my heart.

I'd think long and hard about 11 and Francis, but I can't tell if he's truly had a bad run with injuries or he's just an unfit fat dude who won't shape up.

bulldogtragic
26-09-2017, 08:32 PM
And that's what I mean. The only way next year's 1st round pick works for me is if its secondary..and i don't think Geelong are wanting to part with something that equates to what we'd want in that regard.
They're more likely to float someone like a Lang or Parfitt...thanks....forget it...

That's the hard part. They've been on trading and may not be able to. Their list is horrible for talent they can trade with. I've said Cockatoo is about the only one I'd support us going after, but he needs a thorough medical with those hamstrings of his. They're in not position to trade for Jake Stringer. The best thing the footy media to do us admit that, and then work out which clubs might be able to actually do a deal.

bulldogtragic
26-09-2017, 08:35 PM
So he's met with Essendon, and Landsberger is reporting that 11 alone won't get it done, which warms my heart.

I'd think long and hard about 11 and Francis, but I can't tell if he's truly had a bad run with injuries or he's just an unfit fat dude who won't shape up.

Like. I honestly thought he was just a fat VFL top up. I couldn't believe that was Francis of drafting fame. We need some run or forward picket type, maybe Fantasia as the extra scoop?

Dry Rot
26-09-2017, 08:35 PM

Unfit fat dude.

I wonder if we could get Stewart?

bulldogtragic
26-09-2017, 08:43 PM
Jordan Ridley drafted last year by Essendon just after Tim Eniglish (22) sounds a Bevo type:

A tall runner from the Oakleigh Chargers who is versatile enough to play in almost any position and can be moved around the field seemingly without any disruption to his play. Highly skilled, he won the kicking test at the NAB AFL Draft Combine, after averaging 19 disposals in the TAC Cup.

Former AFL recruiter Gary Buckenara says:

Ridley will be of interest to clubs because he’s a flexible prospect. At 192cm he can play in a number of positions whether it be down back, up forward or in the midfield, but probably plays his best footy as a defender. He’s a hard worker.

Oakleigh Chargers Talent Manager Craig Notman told Inside Football:

He has a great set of hands and is a real confidence player, a terrific character and a hard worker. He will get the best out of himself wherever he plays. Playing down back actually freed him up a bit and showed he has some gears. He went inside a couple of times and was effective so he could turn into that bigger bodied mid.

GVGjr
26-09-2017, 08:48 PM

Essendon believe 11 is too much, and want something coming back the other way
We want more than pick 11.

bulldogtragic
26-09-2017, 08:54 PM

Do you like any on their list? Ridley sounds interesting.

We could find a compromise on Pick 11 & 47 & Ridley/Fanatsia - for - Stringer & Picks 39

We get more than 11. They can sell it they didn't give up more than 11 with the 3rd round upgrade to our/Norths pick.

Happy Days
26-09-2017, 08:57 PM

I think you're forgetting about all of that valuable equity we got in the Crameri trade that will surely come back and help us out now?

bulldogtragic
26-09-2017, 08:58 PM
I think you're forgetting about all of that valuable equity we got in the Crameri trade that will surely come back and help us out now?

Are you free during trade week to handle negotiations with Essendon just in case Dodoro has a forgetful moment with us?

GVGjr
26-09-2017, 09:07 PM
Do you like any on their list? Ridley sounds interesting.

We could find a compromise on Pick 11 & 46 & Ridley/Fanatsia - for - Stringer & Picks 39

We get more than 11. They can sell it they didn't give up more than 11 with the 3rd round upgrade to our/Norths pick.

Essendon won't give up Fantasia or Ridley and dealing with them will be a tough negotiation.

Without a lot of thought I think they could offer Pick 11 and Francis for Stringer and our pick 26. Thats about as good as they would offer

Most likely they will offer pick 11 for Stringer and our pick 26.

We should just insist on pick 11

Redman interests me a bit but after 2 seasons he still hasn't cracked it for a senior game with them

We might get pick 47 from them for Crameri but we might only use 4 picks on draft night.

ledge
26-09-2017, 09:12 PM
Well looks like he will stay then at this rate, or its early and we can play tough until the last minute and see how desperate teams get for him.
All in our court even if it doesn't work out he will come back tail between his legs and work harder than ever.