PDA

View Full Version : Stringer Trade Worth

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11

bulldogtragic
09-10-2017, 11:24 PM
It might be something to the tune of swapping 2nd round picks (26 and 28) or it could be something later than that.
Lets wait to see what the compromise might be.

We can give them Honeychurch to give to GWS in the Smith deal (as per the article you posted about GWS and Honey). Being the generous folk we are.

comrade
09-10-2017, 11:27 PM
Will reserve judgment on our ability to hold firm until this is all over, but I have little faith we’ll hold our ground here

We won't. My guess is we'll get pick 11 for Stringer and pick 26 and both sides will crow that they were the winners.

josie
09-10-2017, 11:39 PM
I will be very upset if we give Stringer and 26 for 11. McCartney I thought said Stringer was worth a high first round draft pick. Not sure what his definition of high first round draft pick is but mine is single digits. I do not even like the Stringer swap for 11 either. Surely a 3rd club must be involved and really hoping North or Saints change their mind about Stringer so Dodoro is left hanging in the breeze.

jazzadogs
10-10-2017, 12:10 AM
If it ends up being Stringer + 26 for 11 that rates Jake as pick 32 on his own. I will SPEW UP if that happens.

My interpretation of Stevo's tweet is that the Dogs want 11 or bust. I think Essendon have made it clear that they intend to use 11 for all three of Saad, Smith and Stringer (using Lloyd's ridiculous proposal from yesterday which he's too dumb to think of himself), which means that the Bulldogs are not going to get 11 on it's own.

If we get a third round pick for HC (unlikely because GWS only have 23, 25 and 64 at this stage) then I would be comfortable with adding that - purely because we would be unlikely to use it.

Sedat
10-10-2017, 12:21 AM
We won't. My guess is we'll get pick 11 for Stringer and pick 26 and both sides will crow that they were the winners.
Reminds me of the garbage spouted by the club after the Lake trade.....but but but we got a 1st round pick (whilst giving back pick 27 to the Hawks)

bulldogtragic
10-10-2017, 12:25 AM
Reminds me of the garbage spouted by the club after the Lake trade.....but but but we got a 1st round pick (whilst giving back pick 27 to the Hawks)

How did we go in that trade?

Sedat
10-10-2017, 12:28 AM
How did we go in that trade?
Shithouse - effectively was Hrovat and Koby Stevens for Lake and Tim O'Brien

1eyedog
10-10-2017, 12:31 AM
Stringer turns the Bombres on in a big way. He'll go and they'll part with 11. His football is serious eye candy and they'll make him their priority over Saad. I just hope Dodoro doesn't drag it out into week 2 with his postulations closing the window on our movements at the back end of the second week.

bulldogtragic

But we’ve still got both, and they have neither or no premierships right?

Happy Days

Huh. Could have sworn we handled that situation perfectly and got a perfect result and traded at the perfect time and everything was perfect.

We're so folding. I have no confidence in this club's ability to trade.

hujsh
10-10-2017, 12:45 AM
Stringer turns the Bombres on in a big way. He'll go and they'll part with 11. His football is serious eye candy and they'll make him their priority over Saad. I just hope Dodoro doesn't drag it out into week 2 with his postulations closing the window on our movements at the back end of the second week.
Alright new plan

We delay the Stringer deal as long as possible so Essendon can't get any of the other deals done then pull out at the last minute claiming they've been unreasonable and wasted everyone's time yet again.

1eyedog
10-10-2017, 01:01 AM
Alright new plan

We delay the Stringer deal as long as possible so Essendon can't get any of the other deals done then pull out at the last minute claiming they've been unreasonable and wasted everyone's time yet again.

Yeah I guess they need one of Saad or Stringer done this week.

1eyedog
10-10-2017, 01:05 AM
https://cdndata.bigfooty.com/2016/11/312967_e44d7a6670f07d1bbcfd2b5391edc510.JPG

bornadog
10-10-2017, 04:48 AM
Alright new plan

We should do that, I would love it.

Huh. Could have sworn we handled that situation perfectly and got a perfect result and traded at the perfect time and everything was perfect.

We're so folding. I have no confidence in this club's ability to trade.

Many on this forum thought both those players were a win for us.

ratsmac
10-10-2017, 05:39 AM
Many on this forum thought both those players were a win for us.
You can never debate that Stevens and Hrovat were no good for us (I'm not saying you are) because even though they didn't play in any September action they were still part of the team dynamic that got us our drought breaking flag. Locker room banter can't be underestimated. Wasn't there a rumour that Stevens sat Minson on his arse for disrespecting a younger team mate or something a couple years back? Maybe we needed someone like that this year to pull the party boys in line.

bornadog
10-10-2017, 06:00 AM
You can never debate that Stevens and Hrovat were no good for us (I'm not saying you are) because even though they didn't play in any September action they were still part of the team dynamic that got us our drought breaking flag. Locker room banter can't be underestimated. Wasn't there a rumour that Stevens sat Minson on his arse for disrespecting a younger team mate or something a couple years back? Maybe we needed someone like that this year to pull the party boys in line.

So win win on Lake deal.;)

LostDoggy
10-10-2017, 06:28 AM
From Rob Kerrs comments yesterday, it would appear that 11 will probably be part of the Stringer deal. The question is which party is holding out for some extras?

bornadog
10-10-2017, 06:41 AM
Mark Stevens‏ @Stevo7AFL (https://twitter.com/Stevo7AFL)

Mark Stevens Retweeted 7 News Melbourne
Dogs sources now saying Stringer staying most likely result ... Gonna be long, drawn out negotiation

bulldogtragic
10-10-2017, 06:44 AM
Good on Stevo for flying the flag. They've got flogs like Lloyd & Cooney pushing nonsense in the press. Happy to see some push back.

Dancin' Douggy
10-10-2017, 08:18 AM
Brian lake played in 3 consecutive premierships and won a norm smith...

Bulldog Revolution
10-10-2017, 08:45 AM
Any Stringer deal was always going to be drawn out

It's the nature of dealing with Dodoro - and from the dons perspective it tests whether we are really prepared to take Jake back in an attempt to lower the price

The Underdog
10-10-2017, 10:17 AM
I just want a trade that I can complain about to my grandchildren

Twodogs
10-10-2017, 10:23 AM
I just want a trade that I can complain about to my grandchildren

Heh! Take your choice, there are enough dud bulldog trade deals for everyone.

The Doctor
10-10-2017, 11:43 AM
How about a deal that could net us Schache & Crozier for Stringer?

Dons get Stringer for 19 + 46

19 goes to Brisbane for Schache
46 to Freo for Crozier

we retain 9, 26 & 39

I doubt we will get pick 11 but if the club rates Schache as the equivalent or better than what we might get at pick 11 this could work. I doubt Brisbane could get any better.

mjp
10-10-2017, 11:44 AM
I know everyone complains about Dodoro but isn't the way he draws a line in the sand and refuses to concede to opposition clubs the way so many of us want our club to act/behave?

The idea that Stringer is only worth pick 11 is clearly ludicrous - he is a 24 year old premiership winning 50 goal per year all -Australian forward...that he is even AVAILABLE is clearly ludicrous. But WE STARTED THIS (and I am still really not sure why)...and because we did we need to see it through.

Of course Jake didn't attend the club B&F - it sounds like there was some below the surface niggle between him and a % of the playing/support group that is now out in the open...it would have just been uncomfortable and people would have been asking him where he was going, why he was leaving etc and how could he answer those questions?

All the talk about the 2018 'super draft' is not helping btw...no-one out there wants to trade a future pick...

Happy Days
10-10-2017, 12:12 PM
I know everyone complains about Dodoro but isn't the way he draws a line in the sand and refuses to concede to opposition clubs the way so many of us want our club to act/behave?

I've come to think that Dodoro rocks and would love it if we traded like he does.

Rolling us for pick 26 for the sake of equity for Crameri, only to then see it put out there by the Essendon puppets that they want to get us back for overpaying? That's just bellissimo. If there are clubs (us) stupid enough to get rolled time and time again then more power to him.

Bulldog4life
10-10-2017, 02:09 PM
Today Cooney is saying Essendon should give pick 11 to Dogs for Jake. He floats with the wind.

GVGjr
10-10-2017, 02:11 PM

In a way but I don't think he is ethical and often acts as a spoiler with trades for other clubs. We all want our guys to be creative and firm in negotiations but I don't think we should be trying to rip off other clubs. Deals don't often go down with Dodoro with other clubs thing they've be ripped off.

The idea that Stringer is only worth pick 11 is clearly ludicrous - he is a 24 year old premiership winning 50 goal per year all -Australian forward...that he is even AVAILABLE is clearly ludicrous. But WE STARTED THIS (and I am still really not sure why)...and because we did we need to see it through.

Of course Jake didn't attend the club B&F - it sounds like there was some below the surface niggle between him and a % of the playing/support group that is now out in the open...it would have just been uncomfortable and people would have been asking him where he was going, why he was leaving etc and how could he answer those questions?

All the talk about the 2018 'super draft' is not helping btw...no-one out there wants to trade a future pick...

I'm sure we would have liked to have had Bevo's comments back but if we just stick to what we know, pick 11 is a bargain for Stringers services.

I agree that no one wants to trade future picks because of the perception of missing out on next years bumper crop.

bulldogtragic
10-10-2017, 02:13 PM
Today Cooney is saying Essendon should give pick 11 to Dogs for Jake. He floats with the wind.

Forgot to take his red & black meds today.

G-Mo77
10-10-2017, 02:15 PM

I saw a few Bulldog supporters having a crack at him the other day. Bombres knobs will now get stuck into him and he'll be back to 2nd round by late this week.

GVGjr
10-10-2017, 02:17 PM
How about a deal that could net us Schache & Crozier for Stringer?

Dons get Stringer for 19 + 46

19 goes to Brisbane for Schache
46 to Freo for Crozier

we retain 9, 26 & 39

I doubt we will get pick 11 but if the club rates Schache as the equivalent or better than what we might get at pick 11 this could work. I doubt Brisbane could get any better.

Brisbane would settle for anything around the 15 mark and I'm expecting Richmond to chime in with one of the 2 first round picks.

I think a fairer valuation might 19 and their pick 28 but I still wouldn't be happy with it but at least we would have 9, 26 and 28 with 38 going to Fremantle for Crozier plus we could then use a late pick for R.Smith.

Ghost Dog
10-10-2017, 06:04 PM
Screw Essendon. Let's roll up shop and keep him. If they want to drag it out, then just take him off the table. I believe he's a good guy at heart, just immature as all get out and made some mistakes. Turn him around.
Have to agree that 11 sounds like a bargain for them.

Happy Days
10-10-2017, 06:23 PM
Anyone else kind of hoping that this is all a ruse to get Essendon to agree to give up pick 11, only then to tell them to go jump and this was all a ruse that Stringer was in on the whole time?

That'd be pretty classic and something I would totally do if I was in charge.

bulldogtragic
10-10-2017, 06:29 PM
Anyone else kind of hoping that this is all a ruse to get Essendon to agree to give up pick 11, only then to tell them to go jump and this was all a ruse that Stringer was in on the whole time?

That'd be pretty classic and something I would totally do if I was in charge.

Or, Sign the deal with 10 seconds to go in the trade dead line and watch the trade die in the corridor as they're sprinting to lodge it, hopefully falling on their faces. We can frame our copy of the paperwork and hang it in our boardroom, next to our premiership memorabilia.

Twodogs
10-10-2017, 06:50 PM
Or, Sign the deal with 10 seconds to go in the trade dead line and watch the trade die in the corridor as they're sprinting to lodge it, hopefully falling on their faces. We can frame our copy of the paperwork and hang it in our boardroom, next to our premiership memorabilia.

Unfortunately I think they have upgraded the technology since the fax machine days. (Did anyone else ever wonder where they were they faxing things to? Weren't all the AFL community pretty much crammed into Optus Oval at the time? Wasn't that the whole idea behind Trade Week? No wonder the fax machine never worked-it probably wasn't plugged into anything)

Grantysghost
10-10-2017, 06:54 PM
Interesting from Connors - maybe Jake’s not too happy with Essendon’s valuation .

STRINGER STILL DECIDING

PLAYER manager Paul Connors says Jake Stringer is still to decide his playing future.

The exiled Bulldog is understood to be favouring Essendon but has several clubs interested in his services.

The Western Bulldogs are keen to trade the premiership forward after a difficult year on and off-field and are demanding a high first-round draft pick.

Connors said no official announcement had been made as they wanted to keep things in house.

“I don’t know if he’s completely chosen Essendon yet, Robbie D’Orazio is handling that from our office,” Connors told SEN.

“I think we’d like to end up there, but I think we’re playing our cards a bit close to our chest, instead of just making big public statements where he wants to go."

The Bulldogs have left the window open for Stringer to return but Connors said that was unlikely, hoping the 2015 All-Australian wasn't forced to sit out a year.

“He’s contracted, so that’s an option. But I think it’s really hard to go back to an organisation where he’s probably not welcome,” he said.

"Sometimes people just need to take a deep breath and go to their corners. Western Bulldogs have their view and Essendon and whoever else is in the mix have got our views."

GVGjr
10-10-2017, 07:08 PM
Screw Essendon. Let's roll up shop and keep him. If they want to drag it out, then just take him off the table. I believe he's a good guy at heart, just immature as all get out and made some mistakes. Turn him around.
Have to agree that 11 sounds like a bargain for them.

We shouldn't take it personally, this is the way Essendon operate and it's well known. I'd prefer we give them a deadline perhaps Friday of this week citing that we have a few other irons in the fire. I don't think we would have gone public with our views on him if we were confident we could get him back on track. It would be a great story if we could though

Twodogs
10-10-2017, 07:15 PM
We shouldn't take it personally, this is the way Essendon operate and it's well known. I'd prefer we give them a deadline perhaps Friday of this week citing that we have a few other irons in the fire. I don't think we would have gone public with our views on him if we were confident we could get him back on track. It would be a great story if we could though

Yep. They have until Friday to come up with something sensible*. If we don't sign a clearence paper on Friday Jake is off the table and a Western Bulldog in 2018. Then you can explain to your members how you *!*!*!*!ed up signing Jake Stringer because you wanted to play games.

*pick 11 is, was and always has been what we wanted from Essendon even before Stringer had nominated them.

Bulldog4life
10-10-2017, 07:27 PM
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-10-10/stringer-camp-slams-dogs-over-total-backflip

Stringer camp slams Dogs over 'total backflip'

PROMINENT player agent Paul Connors has slammed the Western Bulldogs for their "total backflip" in the situation surrounding out-of-favour premiership player Jake Stringer.

Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge came out publicly last month to say Stringer leaving would benefit his teammates.

However, they are demanding a high price for Stringer and have declared they might keep the 23-year-old if an appropriate deal can't be reached.

Stringer is contracted until the end of 2018, with Essendon his most ardent suitor.

Connors told Melbourne radio station SEN on Tuesday he and colleague Robbie D'Orazio, who manages Stringer, would change tack for similar situations in the future.

"It's one of the things I'll be doing a bit differently myself, with Robbie, that we'll be asking more questions when we get called to meetings like this in the future, because it's a total backflip for mine," Connors said.

Stringer received no indication at his exit meeting that he would be moved on. Instead, a phone call a couple of weeks later from his management made him aware of the proposed move.

"That's a bit frustrating from our point of view, and I'm experiencing it with another trade, but all of a sudden clubs are publicly wanting to put our players and any player on the market, and then they go 'Oh hang on, we actually want pick 10 for this player or pick 20' but there's a caveat on it," Connors said.

Connors concedes any deal could still be some time away.

"Western Bulldogs have got their view and Essendon and whoever else is in the mix and us have got our views, and at this stage it's fair to say we're a bit apart," Connors said.

Connors counts Jack Watts among his clients, who is contracted until the end of 2019 but has been encouraged to explore his options by Melbourne.

Watts toured Geelong on Tuesday in his bid to find a new home.

Connors said if Watts received more praise from his coaches, rather than having them focus on his negatives, the 26-year-old could thrive.

"It'd be nice if people focused on some of the things he did well. We're happy to focus on some of the things he doesn't do well, but let's be careful not to throw it all out as well," Connors said.

A decision from Watts on where he wants to play next year is expected by the end of this week.

Topdog
10-10-2017, 07:53 PM
Doesn't explain what the apparent backflip was

Doc26
10-10-2017, 08:03 PM
I think Connors, and all others with self interest in mind, missed our key message, that from day dot we would only negotiate an early exit of Jake IF a suitable trade based on our value can be achieved. This was never about Dodoro coming in to pick up Jake in a firesale based on how Dodoro and his band of AFL media cronies decide to value him. Paint it however they like but whilst Jake's contracted for another season we assess and decide his worth, not Dodoro and not Connors. If they don't like it they have next year to come back and try again.

"We'll say it again, if pick 11 doesn't do it for you, just walk away and don't bother us again. We will not be blinking on this".

hujsh
10-10-2017, 08:04 PM
I remember him repeating Jake could very well still end up at the Bulldogs next year.

Sounds like he's the one doing a backflip

Rocket Science
10-10-2017, 08:09 PM
It's not particularly clear, but I gather the "backflip" he's referring to was Jake supposedly leaving his exit interview feeling secure, and then the club coming back to his management later to indicate we'd decided to move him on.

Aside from being a little late for that, I'm not sure this kind of noise is particularly helpful for either of their clients.

bulldogtragic
10-10-2017, 08:19 PM
Headline: Player managers forced to work hard for deal.

Ghost Dog
10-10-2017, 08:27 PM
I think Connors, and all others with self interest in mind, missed our key message, that from day dot we would only negotiate an early exit of Jake IF a suitable trade based on our value can be achieved. This was never about Dodoro coming in to pick up Jake in a firesale based on how Dodoro and his band of AFL media cronies decide to value him. Paint it however they like but whilst Jake's contracted for another season we assess and decide his worth, not Dodoro and not Connors. If they don't like it they have next year to come back and try again.

"We'll say it again, if pick 11 doesn't do it for you, just walk away and don't bother us again. We will not be blinking on this".

Well said Doc. My sentiment exactly. If you sign a contract then you honour it. Jake has upset a lot of people. But we will do what's best for us, and Jake may choose another party after his contract has expired.
Wonder if Jake has any significant gambling debts that muddy the waters.

Rocket Science
10-10-2017, 08:29 PM
Headline: Player managers forced to work hard for deal.

There's a wry analogy in there about effort and outcomes. Hai Jake.

You wonder if they're finding the 'Jake' issue's beginning to monopolise their time and energy while not getting very far.

I'm sure Bevo could sympathise.

bulldogsthru&thru
10-10-2017, 08:56 PM
I'd like to see North get involved

bulldogtragic
10-10-2017, 08:57 PM
There's a wry analogy in there about effort and outcomes. Hai Jake.

You wonder if they're finding the 'Jake' issue's beginning to monopolise their time and energy while not getting very far.

I'm sure Bevo could sympathise.

And how dare we set expectations on compensation for Jakes possible trade. Everyone knows that even when Carey was doing similar stupid shit, North got bent over, and only got Pick 2 & Pick 18. We should just take the crumbs like North and not expect fair return.

Remi Moses
10-10-2017, 09:03 PM
I remember him repeating Jake could very well still end up at the Bulldogs next year.

Sounds like he's the one doing a backflip

Remember one of his clients backflipping vividly a while back .
Ward was all over the paper saying he was staying, as he was a local boy and all . Come on Paul

boydogs
10-10-2017, 09:14 PM

Yes, only his line is closer to the south pole than the equator

Rocket Science
10-10-2017, 09:14 PM
There's a meeja mentality that because we've taken a stand with the player we've forfeited the right to expect compensation commensurate with his talent level and achievements to date.

I even caught it editorialised by someone as anodyne as AFEL-gimp Matt Thompson as us "having our cake and wanting to eat it".

Connors and the Dodo had better tune this shit out if they want to effect a result.

Topdog
10-10-2017, 09:46 PM
The media seem to be forgetting pick 11 is us compromising. If Stringer asked to leave we would be demanding 2 first round picks

bulldogtragic
10-10-2017, 09:55 PM
Afl.com.au

Gold Coast has rejected an offer from Essendon that would see the Bombers' pick No.11 make its way to the Suns in exchange for Adam Saad and pick No.19.

A deal could still be struck between the clubs, however, if the Bombers are willing to accept one of the Suns' second-round picks (No.22 and No.24) instead of No.19.

So they get 22 and that's the offer best offer for Stringer. If you do this deal Dodoro, don't waste anymore of our time.

Remi Moses
10-10-2017, 10:00 PM
Not surprising .

GVGjr
10-10-2017, 10:00 PM
Afl.com.au

Gold Coast has rejected an offer from Essendon that would see the Bombers' pick No.11 make its way to the Suns in exchange for Adam Saad and pick No.19.

A deal could still be struck between the clubs, however, if the Bombers are willing to accept one of the Suns' second-round picks (No.22 and No.24) instead of No.19.

So they get 22 and that's the offer best offer for Stringer. If you do this deal Dodoro, don't waste anymore of our time.

I was reading this, things aren't quite falling the way Essendon wanted. They need to cough up more themselves.

comrade
10-10-2017, 10:01 PM
I think we're missing the obvious move here.

Connors has backed away publicly from Essendon being the nominated destination, opening the door for another Vic based club to swoop.

We need to get Connors/Stringer to agree to go somewhere other than Essendon, and that somewhere should be North. It's better for us and it's better for Stringer, given they can probably afford to pay him more than the Bombers.

If Connors is worth his pay check, he needs to point Jake in the right direction and that ain't Windy Hill.

1eyedog
10-10-2017, 10:02 PM
They just don't have enough to get it done and it's, as Bruce would say, delicious.

bulldogtragic
10-10-2017, 10:05 PM
I was reading this, things aren't quite falling the way Essendon wanted. They need to cough up more themselves.

It's getting too hard for them now. Unless they're going with offering us a 2018 first rounder in addition to pick 22 this year. I don't see it happening.

Watts seems good at Geelong.

North? Carlton if they get picks 7/8 for pick 3 from St Kilda. Or he's staying.

Remi Moses
10-10-2017, 10:08 PM
I get that Dodoro has to do the best for his club and that we'd expect the same , but it's the needless posturing from day one in any potential deal that irritates everyone . The Crameri deal was the prime example from our perspective, as pick 20 odd was always going to get it done, but Dodoro played it out needlessly wanting an unrealistic pick 4 for the player. It dragged on frustratingly through the trade period . Who'll ever forget their insulting trade enquiry for Scott West . Some player called Walsh whom they delisted anyway . It's bad business to piss every club off needlessly .

Ghost Dog
10-10-2017, 10:36 PM
I see Essendon was recognized as being difficult to deal with on twitter by Titus today.

bulldogtragic
10-10-2017, 10:46 PM
I imagine when Jake was told a trade was on the cards that he might have been saying ‘9 clubs in Victoria would take me tomorrow’. He might need to start thinking no one values him in the marketplace. Then think about if he wants to be a better person & if he wants to be an AFEL player that reaches his potential.

ratsmac
10-10-2017, 11:03 PM
Oh Jakey Jakey Jakey, how did it come to this?

Doc26
10-10-2017, 11:13 PM

Interesting that Dodoro has offered the Suns their pick 11 in exchange for the Suns 19 to get Saad (GCS rejecting the offer).

Assuming that offer was accepted by the Suns, wouldn't that have virtually shut the door on a Stringer move, Or is their 2018 future first rounder in play for Jake.

jeemak
10-10-2017, 11:17 PM
I think Jake has some cash issues, and Connors has promised him (and himself in the process) an early pay day to ease some pressure.

It's starting to fall apart and it's the only reason I can think of for Jake and Connors clearly lying about our notification process and subsequent process.

MrMahatma
10-10-2017, 11:19 PM
Interesting from Connors - maybe Jake’s not too happy with Essendon’s valuation .

STRINGER STILL DECIDING

“I think we’d like to end up there, but I think we’re playing our cards a bit close to our chest, instead of just making big public statements where he wants to go."

That's a stupid sentence... but sounds like he's been offered a juicy pay cut, and Connors is saying "We'll go there if we have to".

GVGjr
10-10-2017, 11:23 PM
Interesting that Dodoro has offered the Suns their pick 11 in exchange for the Suns 19 to get Saad (GCS rejecting the offer).

Doesn't that offer tO GCS shut the door on a Stringer move or is their 2018 future first rounder in play for Jake.

They should be offering next years 1st round pick if they don't want to offer pick 11 but they must have been thinking they could get him for 19 and something else. They must know that pick 22 wasn't going to get it done.

I wonder if Geelong is now in the picture.

Doc26
10-10-2017, 11:36 PM
They should be offering next years 1st round pick if they don't want to offer pick 11 but they must have been thinking they could get him for 19 and something else. They must know that pick 22 wasn't going to get it done.

I wonder if Geelong is now in the picture.

Maybe the GCS pick swap, 11 for 19, was planned for on trading to GWS for Devon Smith and we get offered their 2018 first rounder (and possibly a pick swap).

19 seems a bit high for Smith given his injury history but that said he has pretty solid form when going at GWS and would offer them a prospective midfielder which they're lacking.

GVGjr
10-10-2017, 11:39 PM
Here is just a quick thought for Essendon

Pick 11 for Saad and pick 22 - I think this deal would get done
Pick 22 for Smith - Ditto
Pick 28 and next years 1st round pick for Stringer and pick 38 - Doubtful that Essendon would agree

They can claw something back if they move Colyer and Francis on

We would have picks 9, 26 and 28 and something later for R.Smith and two 1st round picks in a strong draft next year

Doc26
10-10-2017, 11:49 PM
Here is just a quick thought for Essendon

Pick 11 for Saad and pick 22 - I think this deal would get done
Pick 22 for Smith - Ditto
Pick 28 and next years 1st round pick for Stringer and pick 38 - Doubtful that Essendon would agree

They can claw something back if they move Colyer and Francis on

We would have picks 9, 26 and 28 and something later for R.Smith and two 1st round picks in a strong draft next year

Yes, I think so.

For me, the lure to Dodoro of having Jake working off and alongside Joey Daniher will be too large for them not to bite.

In fact, it's a very scary proposition for opponents.

If we bide our time I can see them going for something close to this.

Rocket Science
11-10-2017, 12:02 AM
I see Essendon was recognized as being difficult to deal with on twitter by Titus today.

According to Lloyd the Dodo "bristles" at this narrative, apparently claiming "how many players have we given away!?".

Seems legit.

macca
11-10-2017, 12:25 AM
According to Lloyd the Dodo "bristles" at this narrative, apparently claiming "how many players have we given away!?".

Seems legit.

The answer is none , they walked out !
Hibberd, Ryder, Carlisle; Cramer , Houli to name a few
Dodo feeling hard done by , garnishes support from the Essendon goat train .

jeemak
11-10-2017, 01:07 AM
This is getting laughable, or more so than it already was:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/trading-and-drafting/hey-bombers-who-do-you-love-most-20171010-gyy725.html

I could understand the sentiment if we weren't completely up front with our needs to get the Stringer deal done from the outset, which has been, and always was a decent first round offer.

Sure we're pushing Stringer out for the right deal. What's wrong with that? When you sell a property you set a reserve, irrespective of the plumbing, the aspect of the courtyard or the proximity to the local shops. The point is, if the market doesn't want it, it won't take it and you're stuck with it.

That's our position with Stringer, I find it amazing that everyone seems so pissed off about us acting within our best interests in line with what our selling position is.

LostDoggy
11-10-2017, 01:23 AM
"The Bulldogs are playing tough on a trade but shouldn't be – they have pushed him out and there is not a strong field of competitors trying to pick Stringer up if the Bombers talks fail - from the age article

And it's not as if Stringer's been a model citizen the last couple of years. His behavior at the club as forced Bevo's hand, rather than pushing him out on a whim..i don't think that we need to be going out of our way to accommodate him at the club of his choice.

jeemak
11-10-2017, 01:34 AM
"The Bulldogs are playing tough on a trade but shouldn't be – they have pushed him out and there is not a strong field of competitors trying to pick Stringer up if the Bombers talks fail - from the age article

And it's not as if Stringer's been a model citizen the last couple of years. His behavior at the club as forced Bevo's hand, rather than pushing him out on a whim..i don't think that we need to be going out of our way to accommodate him at the club of his choice.

Exactly. And, it's also us who should be setting the market rate for what we want to receive because Stringer is contracted. These dickheads in the media are enabling - or wanting to enable - a trade so they have something to write about at this time of year, and are forgetting it's not theatre it's business.

The entire AFL industry's periphery is full of idiots who funnily enough, have mostly had limited experience at club land and even less in the real world. They couldn't understand an economic argument about the trading market for shit, but they get to write about it every day.

It beggars belief we're being lambasted for our position on this particular issue given the evidence at hand. It's simple, we offered up a player who is contracted for a price, the market meets it or it doesn't. We move on and deal with the fall out like a respectable organisation should otherwise.

The Bulldogs Bite
11-10-2017, 01:36 AM
Too much logic Jeemak.

It's been a painful week and it's only Wednesday.

Dancin' Douggy
11-10-2017, 01:53 AM
I actually hope so.

FrediKanoute
11-10-2017, 05:56 AM

Wrong. We should be very strong on this. The fallback position is that he moves as a restricted free agent next year. If that happens we get a compensation pick which based on 1) original draft position; 2) the salary he is offered; and 3) the fact he has been an All Australian would be somewhere around 8 through 15 - we hold firm and we will be well compensated.

GVGjr
11-10-2017, 08:00 AM
Wrong. We should be very strong on this. The fallback position is that he moves as a restricted free agent next year. If that happens we get a compensation pick which based on 1) original draft position; 2) the salary he is offered; and 3) the fact he has been an All Australian would be somewhere around 8 through 15 - we hold firm and we will be well compensated.

Would Stringer qualify for a restricted free agent status at the end of next year? I stand to be corrected but I think he would just be an out of contract player.

This from the AFL site

Players who are in the top 25 per cent of salaries at their club (that is, in the club’s top nine-10 paid players) are eligible for restricted free agency the first time they are out of contract, if they have served at least eight years with the club.

For example, a player who is contracted after his seventh year for one, two, three, four or five years will be eligible for restricted free agency when next out of contract having completed either eight, nine, 10, 11 or 12 seasons respectively.

Topdog
11-10-2017, 08:28 AM
No he wouldn't be

GVGjr
11-10-2017, 09:29 AM
What would be the worst deal you would be prepared to take for Stringer? The consensus is Essendon won't be offering pick 11 straight up. Could we hand back pick 38 and still be comfortable with that?

DOG GOD
11-10-2017, 09:38 AM
What would be the worst deal you would be prepared to take for Stringer? The consensus is Essendon won't be offering pick 11 straight up. Could we hand back pick 38 and still be comfortable with that?

Didn't kangaroos give Hawks a pick 12-15 for Jed Anderson?
Stringer is definately worth pick 11.

GVGjr
11-10-2017, 09:42 AM
Didn't kangaroos give Hawks a pick 12-15 for Jed Anderson?
Stringer is definately worth pick 11.

He's worth 11 but I can't see Essendon giving it straight up

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
11-10-2017, 09:50 AM
He's worth 11 but I can't see Essendon giving it straight up

Hopefully now Connors has 'backflipped' and said Jake isn't settled 100% on Essendon other suitors may emerge who will be more willing trade partners.

ratsmac
11-10-2017, 10:18 AM
Hopefully now Connors has 'backflipped' and said Jake isn't settled 100% on Essendon other suitors may emerge who will be more willing trade partners.
Hopefully now that the dust has settled a bit with the article from his ex, clubs will start to look at Jake's football ability rather than his personal life and realise how good a fit in any team he can be. With maturity Jake you would hope get his life in order and his football will benefit greatly. If a player of his ilk were available for a top 10 pick and we didn't throw our hat in the ring, I'd be disappointed. Come on Saints get involved.

hujsh
11-10-2017, 10:27 AM
Worst deal?

11 straight.

Really pushing to find that acceptable though

Mofra
11-10-2017, 11:07 AM
I'm think pick 38 will be sent to Freo for Crozier

GVGjr
11-10-2017, 11:16 AM
I'm think pick 38 will be sent to Freo for Crozier

I get that but I'm wanting to gauge the level of flexibility of trade options

bulldogtragic
11-10-2017, 11:44 AM
I get that but I'm wanting to gauge the level of flexibility of trade options

I think we need to know if there's any one interested. If we rule out Essendon. Geelong and Watts looks good. Collingwood, St Kilda & Hawks have said no. Melbourne are tied up. Richmond don't have the cap. So then there's 2 clubs left to trade with. North & Carlton.

Hypothetically if their interested, they're best offer is a trade down from picks 3/pick 4, with a second rounder or a solid player but not a star. That to me doesn't say jump do it, unless Dalrymple is frothing at mouth with that pick or we need a top 5 pick to land a huge fish.

1eyedog
11-10-2017, 11:54 AM
I can't see how North aren't keen on Stringer. They've got space and really, he's the best named player being bandied about this trade period. If he doesn't want to play for them too bad, we didn't arse this up he did so we shouldn't continue bending over to his wishes. JMac needs to tell CM to approach North for their first rounder or he just stays with us.

GVGjr
11-10-2017, 12:12 PM
Thanks BT. Good thought starter.

Just off the top of my head without a lot of thought and assuming Connors is flexible on Victorian clubs.
Could a swap of 1st and 2nd round picks with North adding their 3rd round pick for Stringer strengthen our position enough?

North give up picks 4, 21 and 44 and receive Stringer plus picks 9 and 26.
It gives North the big fish they've been trying to land and the media win they need plus maintains a strong position at the draft. They then might use pick 26 for Darcy Lang who they seem interested in

For us
We receive picks 4, 21 and 44 losing Stringer and picks 9 and 26. I concede it's a net loss and might need something else but at the very least it's not to a competitor like Essendon
We have an early pick in the draft and move up 5 positions in the 2nd round. Pick 44 in the 3rd round which might be enough to satisfy Freo for Crozier

It then gives us some options
- Go to the draft and get one of the top 4 players. LDU, Stephenson Rayner, Dow and Brayshaw are all in play and we then back it up with picks 21 and 38.
- Offer pick 4 to Brisbane for Schache and pick 18. Brisbane still have 3 strong picks in the first round 1, 4 and 14.
We would have Schache, Crozier and picks 18, 21 and 38 to go along with Trengove.

1eyedog
11-10-2017, 12:26 PM
I don't like that at all. We're effectively giving up our pick 4 from North for Schache, but have to give pick 9 and Stringer to North to get it? It's too much. Stringer to North for pick 4 and swap picks 44 and 26.

That's fine if they don't want to do it but it is highly questionable whether pick 4 this year will turn out to be a better player than Jake Stringer for them. The benefit for them is Jake is ready to go. Ready made match winner.

The danger for clubs thinking they can get him next year is;

1. He stays at the club and turns everything around (wants to stay).
2. He stays and absolutely dominates to prove a point requiring a top 5 pick anyway. At which point there are a handful of suitors and the Norf Melbourne's of this world do not get a look in.

GVGjr
11-10-2017, 12:33 PM
I don't like that at all. We're effectively giving up our pick 4 from North for Schache, but have to give pick 9 and Stringer to North to get it? It's too much. Stringer to North for pick 4 and swap picks 44 and 26.

That's fine if they don't want to do it but it is highly questionable whether pick 4 this year will turn out to be a better player than Jake Stringer for them. The benefit for them is Jake is ready to go. Ready made match winner.

The danger for clubs thinking they can get him next year is;

1. He stays at the club and turns everything around (wants to stay).
2. He stays and absolutely dominates to prove a point requiring a top 5 pick anyway. At which point there are a handful of suitors and the Norf Melbourne's of this world do not get a look in.

And getting pick 18 back. I get that it's far from perfect but something we might be able to better balance with a bit of discussion

bulldogtragic
11-10-2017, 12:57 PM

Just off the top of my head without a lot of thought and assuming Connors is flexible on Victorian clubs.
Could a swap of 1st and 2nd round picks with North adding their 3rd round pick for Stringer strengthen our position enough?

It gives North the big fish they've been trying to land and the media win they need plus maintains a strong position at the draft. They then might use pick 26 for Darcy Lang who they seem interested in

For us
We receive picks 4, 21 and 44 losing Stringer and picks 9 and 26. I concede it's a net loss and might need something else but at the very least it's not to a competitor like Essendon
We have an early pick in the draft and move up 5 positions in the 2nd round. Pick 44 in the 3rd round which might be enough to satisfy Freo for Crozier

- Go to the draft and get one of the top 4 players. LDU, Stephenson Rayner, Dow and Brayshaw are all in play and we then back it up with picks 21 and 38.
- Offer pick 4 to Brisbane for Schache and pick 18. Brisbane still have 3 strong picks in the first round 1, 4 and 14.
We would have Schache, Crozier and picks 18, 21 and 38 to go along with Trengove.

Where do you see Ballenden going? Would a draft points trade interest them for Pick 12?

If they're interested, 18 & 38 and 21 & 38 gives them a net points gain. Take the lesser version for us (unless they have a player of ours in mind, such as Crameri then the slightly better version), 18 & 38 for 12. That tweaks your plan to Schache, Trengove & Crozier. Picks 12 & 21 then pick 80 on Roarke Smith. Then if we are looking to trade some out, look to see what we can get.

Dogs: 12, 18 & Schache
Brisbne: 4, 21, 38 & player/3rd next year (Stringer to North)

anfo27
11-10-2017, 01:15 PM

For us

No thank you. Jake is worth more than a pick upgrade. I want a good pick & thats it. Pick 11 is a bargain for Jake but the bombers don't want a bargain, they want a fire sale.
I can't believe the rubbish that he can't stay. Of course he can stay! If he sulks or doesn't pull his finger out he can train with Footscray & play the year in the VFL. Yeah we get buggar all next year but Jakey boy you won't be getting $600k for 4 years after a year in the VFL either!

GVGjr
11-10-2017, 01:42 PM
Where do you see Ballenden going? Would a draft points trade interest them for Pick 12?

If they're interested, 18 & 38 and 21 & 38 gives them a net points gain. Take the lesser version for us (unless they have a player of ours in mind, such as Crameri then the slightly better version), 18 & 38 for 12. That tweaks your plan to Schache, Trengove & Crozier. Picks 12 & 21 then pick 80 on Roarke Smith. Then if we are looking to trade some out, look to see what we can get.

Dogs: 12, 18 & Schache
Brisbne: 4, 21, 38 & player/3rd next year (Stringer to North)

Ballenden is top 8 from my perspective

It's worth having a close look at your suggestion

Happy Days
11-10-2017, 01:43 PM
From my limited understanding of the draft I want us to put a bid in on Ballenden, so lets say 9 at the minimum.

bulldogtragic
11-10-2017, 01:49 PM
From my limited understanding of the draft I want us to put a bid in on Ballenden, so lets say 9 at the minimum.

That's the key with the back and forth last page with GVGjr. If he's going to get a bid before 12, then they my be inclined to look at a points trade with pick 12 with the new owners of Schache. GCS may end up with pick 11 and may use a bid on him, being a somewhat local kid. So a club could really work out a bigger trade where both parties do well.

GVGjr
11-10-2017, 01:51 PM
That's the key with the back and forth last page with GVGjr. If he's going to get a bid before 12, then they my be inclined to look at a points trade with pick 12 with the new owners of Schache. GCS may end up with pick 11 and may use a bid on him, being a somewhat local kid. So a club could really work out a bigger trade where both parties do well.

Sorry I thought you meant Brander. Ballenden maybe top 20 but early 20's

bulldogtragic
11-10-2017, 02:11 PM
Sorry I thought you meant Brander. Ballenden maybe top 20 but early 20's

Then I will factor a bid in before 19. If we agree on an assumption, most won't agree, let's say with the baggage around that Stringer & Schache are worth to something near each other. So this is the following based on same. So we take your well though out plan, and say Stringer, 9 & 27 for 4, 21 and 44.

Check Point: 4, 21, 39 (Crozier) 44 - Trengove

Trade for Schache is 4, 21 & 44 (Net1,058 points/Pick 16) (fringe player if they want it, or 2018 3rd if needed only) - for Picks 12 & 19

Check Point/End Point: Picks 12 & 19, Pick 80 (Roarke) and Trengove, Crozier, Schache

Summary: We have two top 20 picks. Our first rounder is still about pick 10. Our second rounder comes into the top 20. Our third nets Crozier. Trengove is a free agent. Schache is comes in for Stringer, so bout the same value, but we improve our draft position overall. I'm sure BigFooty can throw up trades where we do much better, but if both players are contracted and clubs aren't in love them their values both drop to near the same. But we do better with our draft picks. So it feels about right

The Bulldogs Bite
11-10-2017, 02:18 PM
There's a time for cutting your losses and 'taking unders' and there's a time to stand firm.

It's time to stand firm.

Our reputation at the trade table is that we are pushovers - case in point being the ridiculous Brian Lake trade on day 1. Let's not go there again.

We must dictate what we want and accept nothing less. In other words, be prepared to lose Stringer for nothing in 2018 in order to stand by our core values and principles.

As for what the minimum is? Pick 11 on its own - and even then I am not thrilled about it.

Topdog
11-10-2017, 02:18 PM
Pick 11 is me being flexible

Happy Days
11-10-2017, 02:32 PM
There's a time for cutting your losses and 'taking unders' and there's a time to stand firm.

It's time to stand firm.

Our reputation at the trade table is that we are pushovers - case in point being the ridiculous Brian Lake trade on day 1. Let's not go there again.

We must dictate what we want and accept nothing less. In other words, be prepared to lose Stringer for nothing in 2018 in order to stand by our core values and principles.

As for what the minimum is? Pick 11 on its own - and even then I am not thrilled about it.

It's always time to stand firm. I don't understand why we didn't do it with Lake, I don't understand why we didn't do it with Crameri and I don't understand why it would have taken us until now to start.

Murphy'sLore
11-10-2017, 02:36 PM
I can't get over this narrative that Stringer has been 'pushed out' and now the Bulldogs just have to suck up whatever they can get!

That was never the situation. He was put on the table, IF the right deal could be done, and that's been the case from day one. All this sanctimonious pontification is really annoying me.

(and yes, auto correct, pontification is a real word)

The Bulldogs Bite
11-10-2017, 02:52 PM
It's always time to stand firm. I don't understand why we didn't do it with Lake, I don't understand why we didn't do it with Crameri and I don't understand why it would have taken us until now to start.

Sometimes you need to be accommodating. I can live with the Hrovat and Stevens' deals if they are the exception, and perhaps Hamling given his Father's illness, but unfortunately when it comes to us, accommodating has been the rule.

We should absolutely not be accommodating now in any sense of the word and I expect the member base to be livid if we are.

ledge
11-10-2017, 03:03 PM
Lake was a different story he had one year to go then he was a free agent , stringer will not be a free agent next year.
We couldn't bargain at all if he stayed another year and we also chose Hrovat and Stevens in draft picks not as a player trade so much. So it was the drafting team that chose the wrong players. Nothing to do with Lake.

hujsh
11-10-2017, 03:06 PM
Lake was a different story he had one year to go then he was a free agent , stringer will not be a free agent next year.
We couldn't bargain at all if he stayed another year and we also chose Hrovat and Stevens in draft picks not as a player trade so much. So it was the drafting team that chose the wrong players. Nothing to do with Lake.
Would have been better off with free agency compo.

Mofra
11-10-2017, 03:12 PM
We did do it with Crameri. We made our offer early in the piece, took Essendon until the final hours to accept it.

They wanted us to downgrade pick 4 (Bontempelli)!

Rocket Science
11-10-2017, 03:17 PM
I can't get over this narrative that Stringer has been 'pushed out' and now the Bulldogs just have to suck up whatever they can get!

"All of a sudden clubs are wanting to publically put our players and any player on the market, and then go, ‘Hang on we actually want pick 10 for this player, or pick 20’ … there’s a caveat on it."

We can thank his manager for pouring fire on that. He's only enabling the Dodos of the world.

bulldogtragic
11-10-2017, 03:22 PM
"All of a sudden clubs are wanting to publically put our players and any player on the market, and then go, ‘Hang on we actually want pick 10 for this player, or pick 20’ … there’s a caveat on it."

We can thank his manager for pouring fire on that. He's only enabling the Dodos of the world.

That's why there's a housing affordability crisis. People who don't want to live in their house any more, put it on the market, and wait for it.... are demanding the best possible price they can get. Outrageous.

The next time I inspect a house I'll starting arguing with the real estate agent... 'But they don't want to live here any more. How can they put a caveat on price in an open market. They don't want to live here, so it goes for the price I make up in my head'.

The Bulldogs Bite
11-10-2017, 03:23 PM

Lake was being headhunted by a side who just lost a GF and were absolutely desperate for him to be able to play on the gorilla FFs. We caved on day 1 by taking a pick upgrade (to then land Hrovat) and a later pick (to which we used on Stevens). It was a diabolical trade at the time and it is diabolical now.

To say we couldn't bargain is ridiculous ledge.

As mentioned above, compo would have been better anyway than what we took.

In terms of Hrovat and Stevens' I was referring to what we traded them away for last year, not what we originally acquired them for.

Happy Days
11-10-2017, 03:31 PM
We did do it with Crameri. We made our offer early in the piece, took Essendon until the final hours to accept it.

They wanted us to downgrade pick 4 (Bontempelli)!

We should have made him walk. We had far greater bargaining power at our disposal than we ever bothered to use there.

bulldogtragic
11-10-2017, 04:33 PM
Geelong saying they couldn't make a deal on Jake, in their circumstances.

jeemak
11-10-2017, 04:52 PM
We should have made him walk. We had far greater bargaining power at our disposal than we ever bothered to use there.

Are you suggesting we should have left Crameri to go to the PSD (we didn't have an active pick, mind you so would have had to have not drafted HC to secure one), and that what we paid wasn't a fair price (26 for the leading goal kicker of another club)? Interesting strategy, unless of course you think EFC would have taken 42 after asking for pick 4?

The Lake deal could have been drawn out, but what's often forgotten is that we were desperate to get rid of him and Hawthorn didn't have a whole lot of value to trade with. I don't think holding off would have altered the result, perhaps it might have.

Back on to Stringer, Geelong not being able to make a deal in their circumstances suggests we're playing hard. Connors opening up the option for other clubs aside from EFC and Geelong tells me he's panicking that he won't get a deal done - if his petulant outbursts from yesterday weren't enough.

Happy Days
11-10-2017, 05:02 PM
Are you suggesting we should have left Crameri to go to the PSD (we didn't have an active pick, mind you so would have had to have not drafted HC to secure one), and that what we paid wasn't a fair price (26 for the leading goal kicker of another club)? Interesting strategy, unless of course you think EFC would have taken 42 after asking for pick 4?

The Lake deal could have been drawn out, but what's often forgotten is that we were desperate to get rid of him and Hawthorn didn't have a whole lot of value to trade with. I don't think holding off would have altered the result, perhaps it might have.

100% what we should have done with Crameri. Although I really feel that we overrated him as a commodity at the time and I wasn't too perturbed if we ended up with him or not.

There is no way that we should have given up Lake for a downgrade that small, and DEFINITELY not on the first day of the trade week. Hawks did have the value in pick 21, and I understand that 21 alone would probably have been overpaying at the time, but it's a hard sell to say we couldn't have extracted more value seeing as we appear not to have even tried.

Topdog
11-10-2017, 05:38 PM

All of a sudden players are publicly stating that they want to go home and then they go "Hang on I actually only want to go to Melbourne, or Essendon....there's a caveat on it"

hujsh
11-10-2017, 05:38 PM

Agree on Crameri, fair price paid, right option.

Disagree on Lake. They might not have had much to give but they did have their first round pick which was a fairer price than a pick swap.

Ghost Dog
11-10-2017, 05:44 PM
Agree @jeemak. Were we not positive Crameri had a chance to escape suspension at the time? Also, he's had injuries and that's not our fault. The payoff makes one feel a bit sour in hindsight, but the decision seems sound.

Topdog
11-10-2017, 05:57 PM
Agree @jeemak. Were we not positive Crameri had a chance to escape suspension at the time? Also, he's had injuries and that's not our fault. The payoff makes one feel a bit sour in hindsight, but the decision seems sound.

We were positive but he ignored our advice.

FrediKanoute
11-10-2017, 06:09 PM

That was never the situation. He was put on the table, IF the right deal could be done, and that's been the case from day one. All this sanctimonious pontification is really annoying me.

(and yes, auto correct, pontification is a real word)

It's a game. Connors knows that Jake is worth a top 10 draft pick. Problem is no one in the top 10 wants/can to part with said pick so the only way Jake can move is if someone blinks. All the stuff being said is fluff.

bulldogtragic
11-10-2017, 07:41 PM
Seems Essendon's fanciful expectation of getting Stringer, Saad & Smith with 11 is unfolding: afl.com.au

Essendon risks losing its grip on Devon Smith as it juggles three difficult trades, with rival clubs believing they are still the race for the 24-year-old.

Essendon is trying to land Jake Stringer, Adam Saad and Smith before next Thursday's 2pm AEDT deadline, with its pick No.11 the centerpiece of negotiations.

But the Bombers baulked at an offer to trade their pick No.11 for Smith and the Giants' pick No.23.

EasternWest
11-10-2017, 07:46 PM
Pick 19 for Rockliff? He's a good player, but geez.

That makes Stringer top 5. Bloody hell.

Topdog
11-10-2017, 08:12 PM
What was compensation for Trengove?

bulldogtragic
11-10-2017, 08:14 PM
What was compensation for Trengove?

Pick 30. Or it was.

Twodogs
11-10-2017, 08:29 PM
Pick 30. Or it was.

It would have been higher if the original 600k/4 year deal originally talked about for Terngove (Im gonna have some fun with that surname over the next couple of years) had been right.

Bulldog Revolution
11-10-2017, 09:54 PM
The Age has reported Essendon have proposed to us Stringer and 26 for 11 and 46

We are reportedly reluctant to give up anything else than Stringer

Dons then use 26 and their current 2nd rounder (28) to get other deals done for Saad and Smith

Doc26
11-10-2017, 09:54 PM
Michael Gleeson and Peter Ryan from The Age are reporting:

Essendon have proposed a new arrangement in which they give up their first three picks in the draft and net all three of their trade targets.

Under the plan Essendon would give the Bulldogs their first- and third-round selections (picks 11 and 46) and in return the Dogs give them Jake Stringer and their second round pick, currently selection 26.

The Bombers would then have picks 26 and 28, which they would seek to use as part of trades for Devon Smith and Adam Saad.

The Dogs are considering the deal but are reluctant to part with more than Stringer for the Bombers' pick 11.

So we can assume that we have Pick 11 on the table for Jake but Dodoro seeking our pick 28, with they're pick 46 coming back to us . This is supposedly to assist them to get the Saad and Smith deal done (not sure how but that's their problem)

If we were to oblige them with our current pick 26, being good citizens, does it get us closer if we went back stating no interest in their 3rd Round, 46, but request their 2nd round future pick to come back instead?

Bulldog Revolution
11-10-2017, 10:00 PM

So we can assume that we have Pick 11 on the table for Jake but seeking our pick 28, with they're pick 46 coming back to us . This is supposedly to assist them to get the Saad and Smith deal done.

If we were to oblige them with our current pick 26, being good citizens, does it get us closer if we said no interest in their 3rd Round, 46, but request their 2nd round future pick instead?

That's more like it Doc!

We give them our second this year to get their second next - helps them get deals done

I guess the question is whether pick 28 is one we want to use this year

Could we package Honeychurch in and make it a thee way with GWS

46 seems about the Crozier price though

jazzadogs
11-10-2017, 10:03 PM
A swap of 26 for 11 and 48 values Jake as pick 19, using the draft pick points.

Getting 48 means nothing for us as we are unlikely to use it, other than to get Crozier. So effectively a trade of Stringer and 26 for Crozier and 11. Still seems very unbalanced and I still don't want us to accept it.

Jeanette54
11-10-2017, 10:04 PM
Sod them, I say it should be just pick 11, and nothing more.

Jake is a proven AFL player, even though he has been "distracted" this year.

Personally I would still like to see him stay, and find his feet again with us.

bulldogtragic
11-10-2017, 10:05 PM

So we can assume that we have Pick 11 on the table for Jake but Dodoro seeking our pick 28, with they're pick 46 coming back to us . This is supposedly to assist them to get the Saad and Smith deal done (not sure how but that's their problem)

If we were to oblige them with our current pick 26, being good citizens, does it get us closer if we went back stating no interest in their 3rd Round, 46, but request their 2nd round future pick to come back instead?

For me no. But they can get our 27 legitimately. Ridley who went pick 22 last year sounds good. I'd trade pick 27 for Ridley (or other second round type player trade) for 46.

The net being Picks 11 & 46 with Ridley (22 last year) for Pick 27 with Stringer.

As it is, no.

Remi Moses
11-10-2017, 10:16 PM
No picks back for me . I’d take 11 and that’s it

Doc26
11-10-2017, 10:31 PM
A swap of 26 for 11 and 48 values Jake as pick 19, using the draft pick points.

Getting 48 means nothing for us as we are unlikely to use it, other than to get Crozier. So effectively a trade of Stringer and 26 for Crozier and 11. Still seems very unbalanced and I still don't want us to accept it.

I agree, no to their latest offer as 46 back is largely insignificant.

I'm a bit more interested in saying no chance to their 46 coming back but in its place requesting their 2nd round pick in the 2018 draft.

I'm not at all sold on it but it's closer to anything else that I've heard to date - other than just sitting tight on our demand for their 11.

I'm not sure if we had 9, 11, 39, 80 and 81 if 26 was absolutely essential (replacing it with an additional 2nd rounder in 2018).

Selection wise it fits (maintaining our min. 3 picks required in the draft) and retaining Crameri an TC.

9 = 1st ND (Exit Murphy)
11 = 2nd ND (Exit MBoyd)
39 = (Exit Hamilton In Crozier (39 to Freo))
80 = 3rd ND (Exit Honeychurch In Roarke (Upgraded))
and Exit Stringer In Trengove

GVGjr
11-10-2017, 10:35 PM

I hope we don't buckle but we have to be creative. I don't mind your suggestion.

Being the good people we are we can counter with a couple of other offers:

Pick 11 and 29 for Stringer and pick 27. Maybe that two pick upgrade in the 2nd round helps them

Pick 11 and 29 for Stringer and pick 39.

Pick 11, their 2018 2nd round pick and pick 47 for Stringer and pick 27.

Their 2018 1st round pick for Stringer.

The 3rd one I listed might go close

The Bulldogs Bite
11-10-2017, 11:01 PM
Not interested in a pick in the 40s nor should we be interested in helping them get other deals done.

Pick 26 should be off the table in this deal.

jeemak
11-10-2017, 11:53 PM
This is good news, EFC can't take 11 off the table now. They've admitted he's worth that in any deal.

GVGjr
11-10-2017, 11:58 PM
There is a 2nd part to what Gleeson and Ryan are reporting

A deal has also been raised with Richmond to trade two picks in the 20s to the Tigers for the second of their first-round draft selections at pick 17.

Under that deal GWS would trade Smith and their pick 23 to Essendon for pick 11. Essendon would then trade picks 23 and 28 to Richmond for 17 and the Dons would aim to pass pick 17 on to the Dogs for Stringer.

The logic of that deal is that Richmond may not need to use the first of their two first-round draft picks on Patrick Naish and so could then have sufficient points from the picks in the 20s to match any bid for the talented father-son player.

boydogs
12-10-2017, 12:14 AM
23 & 28 is valued at better than pick 9, we could take those for Stringer without having to involve Richmond

Doesn't help Essendon get all 3 players though as their 11 & 28 are gone for just Smith & Stringer

Doc26
12-10-2017, 12:20 AM
There is a 2nd part to what Gleeson and Ryan are reporting

A deal has also been raised with Richmond to trade two picks in the 20s to the Tigers for the second of their first-round draft selections at pick 17.

Under that deal GWS would trade Smith and their pick 23 to Essendon for pick 11. Essendon would then trade picks 23 and 28 to Richmond for 17 and the Dons would aim to pass pick 17 on to the Dogs for Stringer.

The logic of that deal is that Richmond may not need to use the first of their two first-round draft picks on Patrick Naish and so could then have sufficient points from the picks in the 20s to match any bid for the talented father-son player.

Prefer that we stick to getting pick 11 (with a switch of our 2nd rounder this year with theirs next year) than this second reported offer that starts at pick 17. Definite no to the second option now that they've blinked with 11.

Ghost Dog
12-10-2017, 12:21 AM
11 and fringe benefits is not bad I guess. But Essendon knows this is the minimum all along.

bulldogtragic
12-10-2017, 12:45 AM
Yep, definitely 11 so no to 17 unless a decent player (ie Ridley) was added. Hardball on the decency of player to make it viable. And if we are into Schache, that they'd take 17 for him.

Leaving us 9, Ridley & Schache (for Stringer), 27 & 39 (Crozier, probably Honey inc. onto GWS) & 80 (Roarke) and Trengove.

But as above, they've shown his worth 11. That's the best outcome.

GVGjr
12-10-2017, 02:17 AM
Prefer that we stick to getting pick 11 (with a switch of our 2nd rounder this year with theirs next year) than this second reported offer that starts at pick 17. Definite no to the second option now that they've blinked with 11.
That works but their current offer is 11 and 46 for Stringer and our pick 27.. That would leave us with picks 9, 11, 38 and 46. Compared with picks 9, 17, 27 and 38

LostDoggy
12-10-2017, 08:15 AM
46 is largely useless. They obviously see themselves as finishing high up this year. I wonder if this years 11 and next years 2nd rounder for Stringer and 27 allows both parties sufficient face to deal. Another useful pick in next years draft would be a significant asset and we'd have 9, 11 and 38 for this year's 3 picks.

GVGjr
12-10-2017, 08:21 AM
46 is largely useless. They obviously see themselves as finishing high up this year. I wonder if this years 11 and next years 2nd rounder for Stringer and 27 allows both parties sufficient face to deal. Another useful pick in next years draft would be a significant asset and we'd have 9, 11 and 38 for this year's 3 picks.

It is unless it can be packaged to help achieve something else. We could only draft 3 to 4 players and assuming R.Smith is an upgrade which can be done later I suspect 46 could be added to a trade

I agree, a pick next year would be a very handy option

hujsh
12-10-2017, 10:46 AM
None of this sounds good.

Walk away Dogs, they aren't serious.

bulldogtragic
12-10-2017, 10:49 AM
We wouldn't be giving our second. The net is getting a 16 pick upgrade (27 into 11) and pick 46.

bulldogtragic
12-10-2017, 11:16 AM
Pick 11 to GWS.

*!*!*!*! off Dodoro. No Stringer for you.

Mantis
12-10-2017, 11:18 AM
Pick 11 to GWS.

Confirmed?

bulldogsthru&thru
12-10-2017, 11:18 AM
Pick 11 to GWS.

*!*!*!*! off Dodoro. No Stringer for you.

Looks like Stringer will be staying with us next year

bulldogtragic
12-10-2017, 11:20 AM
Looks like Stringer will be staying with us next year

We all said this. They were just going to *!*!*!*! us around because they can. Well, come home Jake and face up to reality.

hujsh
12-10-2017, 11:24 AM
To Essendon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qy9_lfjQopU

hujsh
12-10-2017, 11:25 AM
We all said this. They were just going to *!*!*!*! us around because they can. Well, come home Jake and face up to reality.
No, this is good.

We can put Essendon to the side and focus on the things we want to focus on. Better now than with 15 minutes to go

bulldogtragic
12-10-2017, 11:27 AM
Confirmed?

Jake Niall and a few others reporting it as fact.

The Bulldogs Bite
12-10-2017, 11:29 AM
I will be absolutely filthy if we accept a late first round/early second round.

If they have traded it away, it's time to re-build Jake ourselves or let him walk next year, but under no circumstance should we bend for Essendon.

GVGjr
12-10-2017, 11:31 AM

If they have traded it away, it's time to re-build Jake ourselves or let him walk next year, but under no circumstance should we bend for Essendon.

I'd have no problems with that. We just need to wait to see if something else emerges.

Mantis
12-10-2017, 11:32 AM
Jake Niall and a few others reporting it as fact.

Yeah saying its pick 11 for Smith & 24... 24 to be on-traded to GC for Saad.

or anyone else!

Time to find out if Jake is a desired prospect to the likes of St.Kilda & Norf.

bulldogtragic
12-10-2017, 11:38 AM
The only play they have to get close is 2018 first rounder and a suitable player or their pick 29.

Agree with you Mantis, time to find a new destination for Jake.

GVGjr
12-10-2017, 11:39 AM
I agree Mantis, it will be interesting to see if Geelong, North or the Saints are interested.
Could be a huge wake up call for Jake to see that clubs aren't necessarily knocking the door down to get him

westdog54
12-10-2017, 11:40 AM
Yeah saying its pick 11 for Smith & 24... 24 to be on-traded to GC for Saad.

or anyone else!

Time to find out if Jake is a desired prospect to the likes of St.Kilda & Norf.

Now confirmed on AFL Website.

GWS showed the way with McCarthy last year. They held their nerve and reaped the benefits.

Topdog
12-10-2017, 11:45 AM

GWS showed the way with McCarthy last year. They held their nerve and reaped the benefits.

Not sure GWS reaped any benefits but do agree that a trade with Essendon is effectively dead now

bulldogtragic
12-10-2017, 11:50 AM
Connors must be filthy. He needs to find a third club for his client this off season.

hujsh
12-10-2017, 11:52 AM

Not sure GWS reaped any benefits but do agree that a trade with Essendon is effectively dead now
Yeah I believe that'd have been much better off accepting Freo's offer the year before as far as picks for McCarthy goes.

westdog54
12-10-2017, 11:55 AM

Yeah I believe that'd have been much better off accepting Freo's offer the year before as far as picks for McCarthy goes.

With some clever on-trading they ended up with Pick 2 and plenty of points for academy selections.

Plus they sent a message that they won't be stuffed around when it comes to contracted players.

We should do the same.

GVGjr
12-10-2017, 11:57 AM
Connors must be filthy. He needs to find a third club for his client this off season.

It's what he gets paid the big bucks to do. It might also be a good glass of reality for him.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
12-10-2017, 11:58 AM
It's what he gets paid the big bucks to do. It might also be a good glass of reality for him.

No doubt he'll try to spin it as Bulldog's being unrealistic.

GVGjr
12-10-2017, 12:00 PM
No doubt he'll try to spin it as Bulldog's being unrealistic.

Perhaps we were, but that's why we have contracted players so we can get what we think they are worth or keep them.

craigsahibee
12-10-2017, 12:08 PM
I agree Mantis, it will be interesting to see if Geelong, North or the Saints are interested.
Could be a huge wake up call for Jake to see that clubs aren't necessarily knocking the door down to get him

North and the Saints are his only realistic option. Cats have nothing to offer (at this stage) if we stick to our guns and demand a Top 10 pick. Prefer he stays and sorts himself out. He is one of our Premiership Heroes and I would love for the club to put their collective arms around him one more time and help him to play his best footy.

Rocket Science
12-10-2017, 12:14 PM
I'm perplexed as to why Norf aren't circling Jake.

They're desperate for a razzle dazzle recruit and have been jilted so often they should be camped out front of the WO on bended knee with rose in hand.

In terms of shedding Jake coming back to bite us, I also think it's the safest place to send him.

hujsh
12-10-2017, 12:24 PM
I'm perplexed as to why Norf aren't circling Jake.

They're desperate for a razzle dazzle recruit and have been jilted so often they should be camped out front of the WO on bended knee with rose in hand.

In terms of shedding Jake coming back to bite us, I also think it's the safest place to send him.

Bad memories of Carey's last days at North?

GVGjr
12-10-2017, 12:52 PM

For us

In light of pick 11 being off the table are there any suggestions how we could make this work a bit better?
I'd also consider not chasing Schache and just having improved draft picks and maybe a low end trade

divvydan
12-10-2017, 12:59 PM
Ess now have 4 2nd round picks to play with (24, 28, Ess 2nd rd 2018 and GWS 2nd rd 2018) as well as their first round pick for next year. They could certainly use those picks to get a higher pick like we did a couple of years ago (dropping down from 11 or so to two picks in the 20's).

Bulldog Revolution
12-10-2017, 01:04 PM
North and the Saints are his only realistic option. Cats have nothing to offer (at this stage) if we stick to our guns and demand a Top 10 pick. Prefer he stays and sorts himself out. He is one of our Premiership Heroes and I would love for the club to put their collective arms around him one more time and help him to play his best footy.

North probably would like him, but dont want to give up their 4th pick, and then we have the whole second round pick scenario again

I know hes not really a tall, but for the Saints does he fit what they want with Membrey, Bruce and McCartin?

GVGjr
12-10-2017, 01:07 PM
Ess now have 4 2nd round picks to play with (24, 28, Ess 2nd rd 2018 and GWS 2nd rd 2018) as well as their first round pick for next year. They could certainly use those picks to get a higher pick like we did a couple of years ago (dropping down from 11 or so to two picks in the 20's).

They will need to use one for Saad but they could put together a package of picks that might entice other scenario's with clubs.
Plenty to play out here.

GVGjr
12-10-2017, 01:09 PM
North probably would like him, but dont want to give up their 4th pick, and then we have the whole second round pick scenario again

I know hes not really a tall, but for the Saints does he fit what they want with Membrey, Bruce and McCartin?

To me he fits in OK with the Saints and given he plays well against them then it might mean something. I think they are more into Tomlinson at the moment though

I wonder what GWS are prepared to do with Honeychurch and if Campbell has any currency?

Ghost Dog
12-10-2017, 01:26 PM

Reading that Motlop negotiations are being stalled because Geelong are standing in the wings, watching Jake's negotiations.

GVGjr
12-10-2017, 01:27 PM
Motlop negotiations being stalled because Geelong are standing in the wings, watching Jake.

What compensation would Geelong get for Motlop?

bulldogtragic
12-10-2017, 01:30 PM
What compensation would Geelong get for Motlop?

Best case end of first round looking at Rockliff, after Brisbane. So pick 19. Which is still not enough unless someone like Cockatoo is added.

GVGjr
12-10-2017, 01:36 PM
Best case end of first round looking at Rockliff, after Brisbane. So pick 19. Which is still not enough unless someone like Cockatoo is added.

In that scenario would picks 19 and 21 not appeal?

We could possibly then send Campbell and pick 40 to GC Suns and they send Ablett to the Cats.

Cats get Ablett and Stringer
We have picks 9, 19, 21 and 27 and have opened up a spot with the Campbell trade.

bulldogtragic
12-10-2017, 01:45 PM
In that scenario would picks 19 and 21 not appeal?

We could possibly then send Campbell and pick 40 to GC Suns and they send Ablett to the Cats

Geelong not using 21 (22 if Compo for Motlop is 19) on Ablett? Are GCS going to use anything past 35? They're going to have about 10 picks inside 35?

Let's say we got 19 & 22. My reaction is no. Two minutes thinking about it, if Brisbane wanted a late first rounder (19) for Schache and Suns will trade to a Vic team, Pick 22 would probably be the best offer with Campbell as steak knives, and if they have any steak knives to come back. If we turned Stringer into Schache & Saad (with steak knives), that would be a good result, with picks 9 & 28 still in tact and pick 40 (Crozier, with Honey going to GWS in combo trade).

Axe Man
12-10-2017, 02:09 PM
CAN THE BOMBERS STILL GET JAKE?

Essendon list boss Adrian Dodoro is confident the Bombers can still do a deal for Jake Stringer.

The Bulldogs had been hoping to secure pick 11 from Essendon in exchange for Stringer.

However, that pick was sent to the Giants as part of the Devon Smith trade.

“There is a long time to play out in the trade period and we will try fairly hard to get it done,” Dodoro said.

“It is trade period and these things take time. Pick 11 is not on the table, pick 11 is now gone. It’ll have to be a combination of other things.

“We have given a strong indication to Jake that we will do our best to get the deal done. There is a fair way to go and we hope we can land him.”

Remi Moses
12-10-2017, 02:14 PM
No worries Dodoro

Bulldog Revolution
12-10-2017, 02:23 PM
Trade week: Finish this sentence game

For Bulldog supporters having to listen to Dodoro is like ______

GVGjr
12-10-2017, 02:25 PM
Trade week: Finish this sentence game

For Bulldog supporters having to listen to Dodoro is like ______

Having Plough say I'll spew up over and over again

bulldogtragic
12-10-2017, 02:32 PM
Geelong not using 21 (22 if Compo for Motlop is 19) on Ablett? Are GCS going to use anything past 35? They're going to have about 10 picks inside 35?

Let's say we got 19 & 22. My reaction is no. Two minutes thinking about it, if Brisbane wanted a late first rounder (19) for Schache and Suns will trade to a Vic team, Pick 22 would probably be the best offer with Campbell as steak knives, and if they have any steak knives to come back. If we turned Stringer into Schache & Saad (with steak knives), that would be a good result, with picks 9 & 28 still in tact and pick 40 (Crozier, with Honey going to GWS in combo trade).

Essendon have said Saad is worth no more than a second rounder (their 24 or 29). Scott Clayton said the club will work with any Victorian club on Saad for the best deal (it's about him going to Melbourne, not a specific club). If Geelong give us 19 & 22, then we have a better offer for Saad (pick 22) and throw in Campbell to make it happen.

Brisbane have said their expectation is a first rounder. Pick 19 is as good as. Crameri has said he is open to playing interstate. We can add in Stew to make a deal to land Schache.

Fremantle are dealing with GWS. GWS have an interest in Honey. We send pick 41 & Honey in this trade mix. Crozier comes to us.

Ins: Trengove, Schache, Saad, Crozier and Picks 9, 28 & 80 (Roarke) (7 in)
Outs: Stringer, Crameri, Campbell, Honey, Bob, Boyd, Hamilton (7 out)

So if Geelong offered that, and other clubs had agreements in principal upon the Geelong deal going through. It looks ok.

DOG GOD
12-10-2017, 02:39 PM
Essendon have said Saad is worth no more than a second rounder (24 & 29). Scott Clayton said the club will work with any Victorian club on Saad for the best deal (it's about him going to Melbourne, not a specific club). If Geelong give us 19 & 22, then we have a better offer for Saad (pick 22) and throw in Campbell to make it happen.

Brisbane have said their expectation is a first rounder. Pick 19 is as good as. Crameri has said they are open to playing interstate. We can add in Stew to make a deal to land Schache.

Fremantle are dealing with GWS. GWS have an interest in Honey. We send pick 41 & Honey in this trade mix. Crozier comes to us.

So if Geelong offered that, and other clubs had agreements in principal upon the Geelong deal going through. It looks ok.

We need to get you to the whitten oval now !!!!
I'd take that in a heartbeat.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
12-10-2017, 02:40 PM
Essendon have said Saad is worth no more than a second rounder (24 & 29). Scott Clayton said the club will work with any Victorian club on Saad for the best deal (it's about him going to Melbourne, not a specific club). If Geelong give us 19 & 22, then we have a better offer for Saad (pick 22) and throw in Campbell to make it happen.

Brisbane have said their expectation is a first rounder. Pick 19 is as good as. Crameri has said they are open to playing interstate. We can add in Stew to make a deal to land Schache.

As much as i hate the idea of not getting an equitable pick for Stringer, the thought of being able to piss Essendon off for their negotiating tactics this deal holds some appeal

The Bulldogs Bite
12-10-2017, 02:43 PM
What if:

- Carlton trade Gibbs to Adelaide for Pick 10.
- Carlton trade Pick 3 to Saints for 7 & 8.
- Carlton trade pick 8 for Stringer.

Carlton
Lose: Gibbs, Pick 3
Gain: Pick 7, Pick 10, Stringer

Saints:
Lose: Pick 7 & Pick 8
Gain: Pick 3

Adelaide:
Lose: Pick 10
Gain: Gibbs

Dogs
Lose: Stringer
Gain: Pick 8

1eyedog
12-10-2017, 02:44 PM

Brisbane have said their expectation is a first rounder. Pick 19 is as good as. Crameri has said he is open to playing interstate. We can add in Stew to make a deal to land Schache.

Get it out there.

bulldogtragic
12-10-2017, 02:44 PM
As much as i hate the idea of not getting an equitable pick for Stringer, the thought of being able to piss Essendon off for their negotiating tactics this deal holds some appeal

Yep. But it's also what we can do with the trade. 19 & 22 in unders. But if we can land two good young players, then that's where I start to come around.

1eyedog
12-10-2017, 02:46 PM
What if:

- Carlton trade Gibbs to Adelaide for Pick 10.
- Carlton trade Pick 3 to Saints for 7 & 8.
- Carlton trade pick 8 for Stringer.

Carlton
Lose: Gibbs, Pick 3
Gain: Pick 7, Pick 10, Stringer

Saints:
Lose: Pick 7 & Pick 8
Gain: Pick 3

Adelaide:
Lose: Pick 10
Gain: Gibbs

Dogs
Lose: Stringer
Gain: Pick 8

I can't see the Saints giving up two picks in the top 10 for an upgrade of 4 draft positions.

The Bulldogs Bite
12-10-2017, 02:47 PM
I can't see the Saints giving up two picks in the top 10 for an upgrade of 4 draft positions.

You're right - would need something else coming back there way. Perhaps Pick 10.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
12-10-2017, 02:48 PM
Yep. But it's also what we can do with the trade. 19 & 22 in unders. But if we can land two good young players, then that's where I start to come around.

Oh i totally get it and if both Geelong, Gold Coast & Brisbane were in agreement it represents a good outcome for us.

GVGjr
12-10-2017, 02:48 PM
Not bad, I think the Saints would need some more coming back to them and for some reason I think Carlton would want more.
Adelaide should be happy but won't be :)

bulldogtragic
12-10-2017, 02:50 PM
Oh i totally get it and if both Geelong, Gold Coast & Brisbane were in agreement it represents a good outcome for us.

You'd hope we're thinking laterally. Stringer is on the table, but Campbell & Honey are too, and Crameri today understands he may be too. There's some good steak knives to help get those potential deals done.

KT31
12-10-2017, 03:05 PM
Essendon have said Saad is worth no more than a second rounder (their 24 or 29). Scott Clayton said the club will work with any Victorian club on Saad for the best deal (it's about him going to Melbourne, not a specific club). If Geelong give us 19 & 22, then we have a better offer for Saad (pick 22) and throw in Campbell to make it happen.

This is great work BT, call it through now.

Topdog
12-10-2017, 03:15 PM
On SEN just now they said Essendon called the Bulldogs before doing the trade with Smith and asked us if we wanted to do 11 for 26 and if not it would be traded to GWS instantly.

With this knowledge there can be no way that we accept less than that.
Apparently Gordon is involved

bulldogtragic
12-10-2017, 03:17 PM
On SEN just now they said Essendon called the Bulldogs before doing the trade with Smith and asked us if we wanted to do 11 for 26 and if not it would be traded to GWS instantly.

Good.

hujsh
12-10-2017, 03:17 PM

Okay, hard to see him signing off on a shit deal.

Glad we didn't buckle to that bullshit

GVGjr
12-10-2017, 03:23 PM

I think that would have been a poor deal for us. Not sure that PG needs to be involved but I think we were right to say no thanks.

Did Essendon offer pick 46 as well?

Topdog
12-10-2017, 03:27 PM
I think that would have been a poor deal for us. Not sure that PG needs to be involved but I think we were right to say no thanks.

Did Essendon offer pick 46 as well?

Yeah i believe so, 46 is useless to us so forgot to mention it but I'm sure trade points help

GVGjr
12-10-2017, 03:52 PM
Yeah i believe so, 46 is useless to us so forgot to mention it but I'm sure trade points help

It does give the option of rolling it up into something else. Then if you don't need them it's no real loss.

Bulldog4life
12-10-2017, 04:06 PM
If we don't get a pick in the single figures for Jake I believe it is incumbent of us top retain Stringer. This is what Bevo and JMac have said strongly from day one. At this stage I believe them. It most likely is not our preferred option but due to a number of teams not being keen to trade for Jake a necessary one. Hopefully he can turn his life around and this experience has scared the bejesus out of him.

divvydan
12-10-2017, 04:12 PM
Clearly Ess think Stringer is worth a pick in the 15-20 range and not higher, so it's hard to see them offering anything better than that unless someone unexpectedly walks out of their club in the next week.

Bulldog4life
12-10-2017, 04:27 PM
Trading pick 11 for Devon Smith makes it a lot harder for Essendon to get Jake Stringer

HISTORY says Jake Stringer will eventually find his way to Essendon.

You only have to look at Jaeger O’Meara last year, Adam Treloar in 2015 and the Tom Boyd-Ryan Griffen blockbuster deal the year before to see that these trades usually get done.

But right now, with pick 11 in the hands of Greater Western Sydney, it is much harder to imagine.

The Bombers today traded their top pick to the Giants in a complex deal for Devon Smith and that would have Jake pondering whether a return to Whitten Oval is on the cards.

The Dogs’ 2016 premiership was built around love, hugs and care. Right now, a kiss and a cuddle at the kennel door is in play.

All the hyperbole about it simply being impossible for Stringer to go back is just that. After all, if next Thursday’s 2pm trade deadline passes and no deal is struck, he is contracted there.

What other choice is there? Sit out 2018? Surely that won’t happen.

The Western Bulldogs were clear on Monday when they told Essendon pick 11 must be the key plank in a deal.

Perhaps they even asked the Bombers for a little bit more. Were players discussed? Did they ask if Nakia Cockatoo would be available should they negotiate with Geelong?

Whatever unfolded, talks on Monday ended with the objective to secure pick 11.

That would net astute recruiter Simon Dalrymple two first-round picks (No. 9 and 11) for the first time since he drafted Stringer and Jack Macrae five years ago.

After securing Smith, Essendon now holds picks 24, 28 and a pair of second-round picks in next year’s draft.

It is a nice hand. But it will still take some creative manoeuvring to make it a killer hand, complete with a juicy pick that will satisfy the Dogs.

Could Essendon trade its future first-round pick? In a stronger 2018 draft, you suspect that would get it done, and it should be a pick lower than 11 given the expected improvement with Saad, Stringer and Smith powering up all parts of the ground.

The Bombers won’t want to do that.

Essendon’s strategy is to strike deals for Adam Saad and Stringer while retaining homesick South Australian Aaron Francis.

And they are all-in on Stringer. The supposed baggage Stringer comes with isn’t a knockout factor when they are this keen to throw down the welcome mat.

“Obviously, you do your due diligence and we’ve spoken to Jake a number of times,” Dons footy boss Rob Kerr said on Monday.

“We believe our culture is a strong culture and the senior players have bought into it, so it would be a good move for Jake, and for Essendon.”

They have told the 23-year-old he is in store for a brutal summer of fitness training, because the Bombers want to use him for large midfield bursts next season. Stringer has committed to that.

They have met with him over and over and over again, from list manager Adrian Dodoro to coach John Worsfold and even chief executive Xavier Campbell.

You would back them to get it done in a trade period they are desperate to shed the ‘hard-to-work — with’ tag.

But after the first deals of 2017 were finally struck, Jake’s trade now requires much more work.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/western-bulldogs/trading-pick-11-for-devon-smith-makes-it-a-lot-harder-for-essendon-to-get-jake-stringer/news-story/72e5f10a094556311fd86a5ca517e4f2

Rocket Science
12-10-2017, 05:23 PM
Bugger this. We're not going to get what he's properly worth, nor what we need in return.

A refocused, re-dedicated Stringer is worth a lot more to us than anything we're going to settle for by flicking him in the current environment - which we must admit is partly of our own making.

Stuff making another team better too while we lose a match winner.

Suck it up, begin the rapprochement with Jake and get on with the million other things we need to.

Bulldog Revolution
12-10-2017, 05:31 PM
Bugger this. We're not going to get what he's properly worth, nor what we need in return.

A refocused, re-dedicated Stringer is worth a lot more to us than anything we're going to settle for by flicking him in the current environment - which we must admit is partly of our own making.

Stuff making another team better too while we lose a match winner.

Suck it up, begin the rapprochement with Jake and get on with the million other things we need to.

This might well be the best option

GVGjr
12-10-2017, 05:32 PM
This might well be the best option

We can make it work. I won't be upset if he stays.

Bulldog Revolution
12-10-2017, 05:44 PM
We can make it work. I won't be upset if he stays.

Of course we can - for all the issues - Jake is one of us, he's a Bulldog, and better still he's a bulldog premiership player

This process might have confirmed for him that he is a Bulldog

We all make mistakes in this life - lets patch it back up in 2018 and get him back up and running, and earn a big contract with us

dadsgirl16
12-10-2017, 07:20 PM
The thing is I think this is player driven as well so not sure how forgiving they will be..don't know it's pretty yucky all round

1eyedog
12-10-2017, 07:29 PM
I'm worried about a domino effect on the playing group if he stays. If he stays my feeling is that the playing group want him gone at contract's end.

It's all for one and one for all. You can't sustain a fractious cog in the machine I'm not sure it's workable for some in the playing group if Jake stays.

GVGjr
12-10-2017, 07:31 PM
I'm worried about a domino effect on the playing group if he stays. If he stays my feeling is that the playing group want him gone at contract's end.

Delicate position. Bevo has to take the lead here and swing around the group.

1eyedog
12-10-2017, 07:32 PM
We need another club to enter the stage next week. We need a Tom Boyd moment.

chef
12-10-2017, 07:47 PM
Stevo reckons we may have to accept picks 24 and 29. Haha gee we've painted ourselves into a corner on this one.

Ghost Dog
12-10-2017, 07:56 PM
I think it's a good thing. We have to deal with the problem rather than give it to someone else. We will grow and Jake will grow. This will prove us as a great club that can turn lives around. Highly optimistic.

Remi Moses
12-10-2017, 08:04 PM
Stevo reckons we may have to accept picks 24 and 29. Haha gee we've painted ourselves into a corner on this one.

Don't have to accept anything. Essendon's priorities seem to be Saad and Smith ahead of jake .
Big wake up call, and let's see what transpires

chef
12-10-2017, 08:04 PM
To me theres no coming back for Jake, he'll end up being traded but unfortunately it won't be a great deal for us.

chef
12-10-2017, 08:05 PM
Don't have to accept anything. Essendon's priorities seem to be Saad and Smith ahead of jake .
Big wake up call, and let's see what transpires

Maybe they think we'll cave.

Remi Moses
12-10-2017, 08:07 PM
To me theres no coming back for Jake, he'll end up being traded but unfortunately it won't be a great deal for us.

You've got that opinion listening to the constant incessant media noise on Stringer. I'd listen to what Bevo said before I'd listen to the drivel Eminating from the media. My ears are hurting from the many opinions now in football

SonofScray
12-10-2017, 08:28 PM
The thing is I think this is player driven as well so not sure how forgiving they will be..don't know it's pretty yucky all round

All the commentary I've seen from the players is that if Jake stayed, they'd welcome him back and support him to play his best football as part of the group. Morris etc all know his value when straight and well prepared and have said as much. Bevo says it isn't irretrievable. Even if the players are demanding more from him, I think it is on the coaching group and footy GM to make this work, Jake too. If he stays, in some ways it is back in jake's court to have a strong contract year and demonstrate his worth and force the trade scenario. Who knows what happens there tough? Ryan O'Keefe was shopped around and wanted to walk when that fell through, stayed on and won a flag at Sydney.

bulldogtragic
12-10-2017, 08:31 PM
All the commentary I've seen from the players is that if Jake stayed, they'd welcome him back and support him to play his best football as part of the group. Morris etc all know his value when straight and well prepared and have said as much. Bevo says it isn't irretrievable. Even if the players are demanding more from him, I think it is on the coaching group and footy GM to make this work, Jake too. If he stays, in some ways it is back in jake's court to have a strong contract year and demonstrate his worth and force the trade scenario. Who knows what happens there tough? Ryan O'Keefe was shopped around and wanted to walk when that fell through, stayed on and won a flag at Sydney.

Good call on R'oK. He was all but at Hawthorn until Pelchan screwed him over. Had a brilliant career after.

We need Connors to awaken any other clubs looking for a player like Jake.

chef
12-10-2017, 08:32 PM
You've got that opinion listening to the constant incessant media noise on Stringer. I'd listen to what Bevo said before I'd listen to the drivel Eminating from the media. My ears are hurting from the many opinions now in football

Nah mate, my opinion isnt based on what either side are saying to the media. More based on what Jake did and who he did it with, doubt he'd have much respect left at the club and he'll get moved on for whatever we end up getting. Thats just how i see it.

boydogs
12-10-2017, 09:00 PM

Do you rate the AFL's draft value index? Because those two picks together are valued at better than pick 10

Rocket Science
12-10-2017, 09:01 PM
Maybe they think we'll cave.

Show of hands ... who thinks we'll cave?

Rather, who's concerned we'll cave?

*raises hand*

The Bulldogs Bite
12-10-2017, 09:03 PM

*raises hand*

I’m merely hoping we show some spine but I’m not confident.

A week to go.

Ghost Dog
12-10-2017, 09:08 PM
*not raising hand*
We won't cave.
If I had a son who was in the same boat, with this ridiculous carry on of women and gambling, near Bevo is where I would want him to be.

chef
12-10-2017, 09:10 PM
Do you rate the AFL's draft value index? Because those two picks together are valued at better than pick 10

Its not a great deal. I guess the only comfort is Dal has a pretty good strike rate at picking good kids.

chef
12-10-2017, 09:12 PM

*raises hand*

Im glad Gordons got involved. Jmac doesnt instill me with confidence.

bulldogtragic
12-10-2017, 09:18 PM

But it's what you do with them in a DVI context. I reckon Brisbane with Ballenden is the best bet if it's a straight draft points:

Dogs: 12, 18 & 19 (maybe a player who wants out, of not huge value)
Lions: 9, 24, 27, 29 (400 net points)

That doesn't scream do the Stringer trade.

GVGjr
12-10-2017, 09:25 PM

It's an offer worth considering. Perhaps we could look at one of them being next years pick

We potentially have 6 players going out and we have Trengove (confirmed) and Crozier (likely) so we could use 4 picks all before pick 30. If Campbell is traded then we have another spot.

kruder
12-10-2017, 09:37 PM
Wish trade fortnight was over already, when you're invested in it yet so far from the action its not easy to enjoy! Well done to Melbourne and Adelaide even after a little bad blood they got down to work and got the deal done.

bulldogtragic
12-10-2017, 09:41 PM
It's an offer worth considering. Perhaps we could look at one of them being next years pick

We potentially have 6 players going out and we have Trengove (confirmed) and Crozier (likely) so we could use 4 picks all before pick 30. If Campbell is traded then we have another spot.

So go backwards two trade periods in a row. I can't support the two second rounder deal.

Rocket Science
12-10-2017, 09:47 PM
Its not a great deal. I guess the only comfort is Dal has a pretty good strike rate at picking good kids.

Laughably, this was one of the rationales aired today on Trade Radio, that it's ok for us to accept unders because of Dalrymple's record and we should "show some faith" in him to nail whatever crumbs - sorry picks - we end up with.

josie
12-10-2017, 09:47 PM
I think if we accept 2nd round offers it sends a message we have caved in. Even if DVI says its same/similar. It would be contrary to what club has stated is acceptable all along-an early/mid 1st round draft pick. If true I am glad Gordon is involved as more likely we will stand firm. Hate the way media are portraying club as indecisive yet if we had of accepted Dons offer the club would be seen as weak. A no win situation and confirms yet again how non objective and poor AFL journalism is.

The Bulldogs Bite
12-10-2017, 09:50 PM
So go backwards two trade periods in a row. I can't support the two second rounder deal.

Yep and if I hear Wallace mention about the equation of draft points one more time I will remove my own ears.

Top 10 pick > any number of second round picks. I couldn’t give a stuff about having a million draft points if I’m picking the 25th best kid in the land as opposed to a kid in the top 10.

I understand the landscape has changed with FS bidding but FFS..

bulldogtragic
12-10-2017, 09:51 PM
Picks 20, 24, 27 & 29 are roughly enough draft points to equal pick 1.

Just need to get 20 off GCS. Lions will take this for pick 1!

Woooo. Pick one baby.

SonofScray
12-10-2017, 09:53 PM
I don't understand the points system, what is it trying to tell me? Any links, or brief explantations?

Doc26
12-10-2017, 09:56 PM
An extract today from Devon Smith following his Esssendon deal going through.

Great to hear that's he's playing his part in driving up Jake's real value.

Dodoro take note from the thoughts of your latest prized recruit.

“I just really wanted to get there, I didn’t really mind how they did it. I hope that doesn’t stuff up the Stringer and (Adam) Saad deals too much,’’ he said.

“It would be great to play with (Stringer) given what he has already done as a 22-year-old premiership player. Everyone is talking about the bad stuff they have heard and the rumours going around.

“By from what I have seen first-hand he’s a hard match-up and an unbelievable talent.

“I remember we played them in Canberra and about eight blokes tried to tackle him out of a stoppage and six didn’t lay a hand on him. He snapped a goal over his head.

“I thought, ‘Wowee, what a player’.”

bulldogtragic
12-10-2017, 10:01 PM
I don't understand the points system, what is it trying to tell me? Any links, or brief explantations?

It's all in context, but not much unless you using points at the draft or trying to to better your hand in doing so beforehand. It's all in context. Forgive me for being crass, say your courting a person to have sex with. Your friends says at best that they're a 5/10. If you have sex with them twice you can't add 5 with 5 and then say you've had sex with a 10/10 supermodel. It's two fives, at best, not one ten. Context. In this context, we should chew our arm off in advance if accepting this 1/10 deal.

Doc26
12-10-2017, 10:18 PM

The points classification sits on each draft pick (out to pick 73), valued in descending order, starting from pick 1.

In essence, its intention is trying to place a nominal value on draft picks for Club's with the benefit of access to prized academy kids or father/sons.

So there is worth if a Club through the trade period can leverage its trade or draft position by dealing / trading with Clubs in need of points for their planned academy or father / son kids.

Outside of this I personally see it as useless but some like to extrapolate it to trade value, with the rather naive assumption that by adding a bunch of average players together you somehow get to a Bontempelli (or that 2 second rounders might equal a mid to low first rounder)

mjp
12-10-2017, 10:22 PM
Essendon can still get Stringer - they just need to be a bit more creative.

This time last year Hawthorn had used their first round pick on Mitchell but still managed to pick up O'Meara...whether Essendon can be as creative as Wright and the Hawthorn team remains to be seen but pick 11 was always unders for Stringer.

GVGjr
12-10-2017, 10:32 PM

How are we going backwards? and over two trade periods?

Go_Dogs
12-10-2017, 10:35 PM
How are we going backwards? and over two trade periods
m

I see the logic, but prefer a higher pick this year against 2’mid second round selections.

Sedat
12-10-2017, 10:37 PM
Essendon can give us next year's 1st round pick packaged with this year's pick 29. We give them Stringer and this year's 3rd rounder. Either they want him or they don't - they need to stop tyre-kicking.

GVGjr
12-10-2017, 10:38 PM
Yep and if I hear Wallace mention about the equation of draft points one more time I will remove my own ears.

Top 10 pick > any number of second round picks. I couldn’t give a stuff about having a million draft points if I’m picking the 25th best kid in the land as opposed to a kid in the top 10.

We would still be picking someone at pick 9 wouldn't we? It's just that there is potential 3 x 2nd rounders to follow it.

GVGjr
12-10-2017, 10:40 PM
Essendon can still get Stringer - they just need to be a bit more creative.

This time last year Hawthorn had used their first round pick on Mitchell but still managed to pick up O'Meara...whether Essendon can be as creative as Wright and the Hawthorn team remains to be seen but pick 11 was always unders for Stringer.

Exactly. If we have a plan and hold firm we will either get what we want or lose nothing. There is still a week to go

boydogs
12-10-2017, 10:51 PM

What did you think of our pick 11 & future 3rd rounder for picks 20 & 21 trade that netted Collins & Dunkley?

Doc26
12-10-2017, 10:57 PM
What did you think of our pick 11 & future 3rd rounder for picks 20 & 21 trade that netted Collins & Dunkley?

The one we gave up Charlie Curnow for?

GVGjr
12-10-2017, 11:00 PM

Excellent point. I raised this a while back and was advised it was too early to call but at the moment we can somehow confidently predict it would be a rip off and a personal affront.

GVGjr
12-10-2017, 11:02 PM
The one we gave up Charlie Curnow for?

Thats the one

Doc26
12-10-2017, 11:07 PM
Thats the one

Outside of the emotional bond our supporters have for our players you would struggle to find anyone right now who would value Dunkley and Collins over the high end talent and potential of Curnow.

Hopefully over time this is proven wrong and yeah I know Dunks played in a Premiership side which counters the argument somewhat.

GVGjr
12-10-2017, 11:11 PM
Outside of the emotional bond our supporters have for our players you would struggle to find anyone right now who would value Dunkley and Collins over the high end potential of Curnow.

Hopefully over time this is proven wrong and yeah I know Dunks played in a Premiership side.
You expect that I guess and I know it was quickly and strongly defended when I posed the question but yes outside of our supporters I think in hindsight most would consider Curnow the better prospect. Still we gave up a draft pick rather than a player like Stringer and in the end it was just a draft pick