PDA

View Full Version : Stringer Trade Worth

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11

LostDoggy
12-10-2017, 10:19 PM
In fairness, Curnow had gotten himself into trouble leading into that draft, so we may have passed on him at 11 anyway, under the 'no dickheads' policy. If we were never going to pick Curnow, the point is moot.

GVGjr
12-10-2017, 10:27 PM
In fairness, Curnow had gotten himself into trouble leading into that draft, so we may have passed on him at 11 anyway, under the 'no dickheads' policy. If we were never going to pick Curnow, the point is moot.

Fair points, the interesting part is the picks in play more than the players so lets forget them.
A couple of years ago we traded pick 11 for 2 picks in the 2nd round and it was seen in a positive light.
We have an option this year to accept two 2nd round picks for a player we valued at pick 11 and if accepted this year it's seen as a sign of weakness.

There are a lot of factors in play for this turnaround and that is because it's a player we rate highly and a club we hate dearly but what we were more than comfortable with a couple of years ago is now seen in a very different light.

I'm more than comfortable in keeping Stringer but I'm not against considering the offer either. I'm however, leaning towards keeping Stringer.

The Bulldogs Bite
12-10-2017, 10:40 PM
I didn’t like the trade at the time, but felt a bit better about it after last year. Dunkley will be a solid player but Collins has his challenges and i haven’t been impressed.

Personally trading an early first round pick for x2 second rounders doesn’t sit well with me.

High end talent typically comes from the first round - I’d much rather do what GWS does in terms of trading into the first round and not out of it.

Doc26
12-10-2017, 10:43 PM
Much prefer to take the risk of reinvesting in Jake than the risk of betting on two second rounders reaching Jake's potential.

The question is can he be accepted back into the fold and can he make / achieve the same commitment to us that he has to Essendon.

boydogs
12-10-2017, 10:49 PM
The one we gave up Charlie Curnow for?

We said we would have taken Collins at 11 if we didn't downgrade it

GVGjr
12-10-2017, 10:50 PM
Much prefer to take the risk of reinvesting in Jake than the risk of betting on two second rounders to reach Jake's potential.

The question is can he be accepted back into the fold and can he make / achieve the same commitment to us that he has to Essendon.

And once that is worked out, the option to accept 2 x 2nd rounders or not is made vastly easier. This is what the club is facing, not just J-Mac, do we accept a decent offer or back ourselves and Jake to get on with it.

There are maybe 3 players in the draft capable of giving Stringer like performances so it doesn't really matter where we are picking from there will not be a like for like replacement.

GVGjr
12-10-2017, 10:55 PM
We said we would have taken Collins at 11 if we didn't downgrade it

I've always been fascinated by that point. We put a bid in for Keays then selected Dunkley before Collins. Would we have passed on Dunkley in favour of Collins if our bid for Keays was successful?

boydogs
12-10-2017, 11:47 PM
I've always been fascinated by that point. We put a bid in for Keays then selected Dunkley before Collins. Would we have passed on Dunkley in favour of Collins if our bid for Keays was successful?

Keays and Dunkley were both mids so I would say it was one or the other

Here is the quote on Collins. Interesting also that the 11 & future 3rd round for 20 & 21 blew out to 25 & 26

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-11-25/dogs-rapt-with-biggest-surprise-of-the-draft-as-key-defender-kieran-collins-slips-to-no26

Selection No. 26 – Kieran Collins
"That was probably the biggest surprise of the night that he got through. As a key defender he was in our mix at pick 11, which we had ahead of the trade period, so he's a bonus for sure." - Simon Dalrymple

Dry Rot
13-10-2017, 12:02 AM
The Bombers are currently banking on getting Stringer cheaply this year, and then using their "magic" to turn him around next season and be a star. In amongst all the hubris of the Bombers, their list manager and their fans lies a very big risk for them.

If the Bombers' trade offer is poor and Stringer stays at the Dogs, and we can turn him around, then the Bombers have the risk of a new lot of Victorian Club suitors for him end next year.

His manager will tell him that if he wants to earn $650-850/year then he will have to both pull his finger out at the Dogs and be open to offers from nine Victorian clubs at the end of season 2018.

So if the Bombers dick around this year, then there's a real chance they won't get him next year.

jeemak
13-10-2017, 12:27 AM
I think the perception in the marketplace presently is Stringer is cooked personally. EFC blinked and used their pick eleven to get their hands on a player with serious knee issues. They couldn't bluff us into giving them a mid 20's pick on top of Stringer for pick eleven and a pick we couldn't use.

The message - Even Essendon thinks Stringer's whacked and not worth really fighting for.

Imagine how this makes Jake feel. He had his choice of clubs that day he fronted the disgraceful Trade Radio opening, that choice was whittled away to a choice of one. That one choice has now gone with Devon Smith instead of him.

Jake won't get a big pay day in his career ever unless he stays with us and puts in the hard yards. The market's moved on from him, Jake Stringer, compared to Ablett and probably in the top handful of players in terms of talent in the league.

Eat some humble pie dickhead, put your head down and bum up, and train your arse off to actually earn the pay day you think you're entitled to.

jazzadogs
13-10-2017, 12:42 AM
Talk that the offer will be a 2nd rounder this year and a 2nd rounder next year. It's a no from me. Options in order of my preference:

A) Stringer embraces the Bulldogs and the Bulldogs embrace him and he plays the rest of the career for us at a high level, after this almighty wake up call

B) Stringer comes back, has a decent year next year and asks for a trade again. In this instance we should expect a first round pick.

C) Stringer sits out the year and gets traded at the end of 2018. Despite him being out of contract and the threat of the PSD, I would still expect a pick no later than the 30s (if bombers have a good year next year, their 2018 2nd rounder could be in the 30s anyway)

D) we take the trade this year, capitulating to a poor offer from the Bombers and failing to stand our ground on how we value Jake.

Ghost Dog
13-10-2017, 03:02 AM
I think the perception in the marketplace presently is Stringer is cooked personally. EFC blinked and used their pick eleven to get their hands on a player with serious knee issues. They couldn't bluff us into giving them a mid 20's pick on top of Stringer for pick eleven and a pick we couldn't use.

The message - Even Essendon thinks Stringer's whacked and not worth really fighting for.

Imagine how this makes Jake feel. He had his choice of clubs that day he fronted the disgraceful Trade Radio opening, that choice was whittled away to a choice of one. That one choice has now gone with Devon Smith instead of him.

Jake won't get a big pay day in his career ever unless he stays with us and puts in the hard yards. The market's moved on from him, Jake Stringer, compared to Ablett and probably in the top handful of players in terms of talent in the league.

Eat some humble pie dickhead, put your head down and bum up, and train your arse off to actually earn the pay day you think you're entitled to.

Like the sentiment in this post. Do you think his interview cooked his chances, by saying he was mystified why he was being chucked out?

azabob
13-10-2017, 06:58 AM
I think the best we can hope for is Essendon future first round and their 2017 second round and some change going back either our 3rd round 2017 or future 3rd.

If Essendon hold firm it could end up being 2 second rounders.

I struggle to see how Stringer stays.

GVGjr
13-10-2017, 07:20 AM
I think the best we can hope for is Essendon future first round and their 2017 second round and some change going back either our 3rd round 2017 or future 3rd.

If Essendon hold firm it could end up being 2 second rounders.

I struggle to see how Stringer stays.

I'd be very surprised if Essendon buckle for next years 1st round pick without a similar offer to the offer they have already made of getting a 2nd rounder back (This years or next) .

I think it comes down to if we believe we can package up some picks for something in this years first round. West Coast, Sydney and Richmond might prefer having 2 x 2nd round selections. Richmond probably the easiest to deal with but they may not need it

I get that it's going to be hard to bring back Stringer but it's got to be tempting for come back and play with his mates.
It's messy but is there really a problem if he stays?

Bulldog4life
13-10-2017, 07:31 AM
I'd be very surprised if Essendon buckle for next years 1st round pick without a similar offer to the offer they have already made of getting a 2nd rounder back (This years or next) .

I think it comes down to if we believe we can package up some picks for something in this years first round. West Coast, Sydney and Richmond might prefer having 2 x 2nd round selections. Richmond probably the easiest to deal with but they may not need it

I get that it's going to be hard to bring back Stringer but it's got to be tempting for come back and play with his mates.
It's messy but is there really a problem if he stays?

Both Dale and Roughy have spoken publlcly about welcoming Jake back. They both are sincere and very well respected in our playing group.

bornadog
13-10-2017, 07:35 AM
Time for Bevo to call Jake and shout him a coffee and find out if he is going to sort himself out.

GVGjr
13-10-2017, 07:46 AM
Time for Bevo to call Jake and shout him a coffee and find out if he is going to sort himself out.

I agree, hopefully both are willing to have a talk.

bornadog
13-10-2017, 08:05 AM
Jake Stringer could stay at Western Bulldog after Essendon trade pick 11 for Devon Smith
MARK ROBINSON AND SAM LANDSBERGER, Herald Sun

JAKE Stringer could remain a Western Bulldogs player after his manager conceded a trade to Essendon was “tricky’’.

On Thursday, the Bombers used pick No.11 to help secure Devon Smith from Greater Western Sydney, a pick the Bulldogs demanded off Essendon for Stringer.

The Bombers hope their two second-round selections - No.24 and No.29 - will swing the trade, as well as secure Gold Coast’s Adam Saad, although the Bulldogs say those picks won’t make it happen.

The Bombers have baulked at using next year’s first-round selection, although they know that offer would get the deal done.

Stringer’s manager Paul Connors today told the Herald Sun: “We’re committed to Essendon and that’s what we’re going to do.

“But it’s tricky.
“But we’re confident it will be all done.”

Asked what happens if it can’t be agreed to, Connors said: “That’s something we’ll cross if it happens. But hopefully it doesn’t.’’

The odds of Stringer being at the Western Bulldogs shortened after the Smith deal was confirmed.

The Bulldogs and the Bombers met on Monday and talks since have been deadlocked.
In what is shaping as a who-blinks-first scenario, the Bombers hope the Dogs will yield on the final day of the trade period on Thursday.

The Dogs have maintained if a deal does not satisfy them, they will keep 23-year-old Stringer.
On Monday they were adamant that if pick No.11 was sent to Gold Coast for Saad or the Giants for Smith, Stringer was likely to remain a Bulldog.

Stringer, who has been ill this past week, is flying to United States at the weekend for a holiday with his future unclear.

Dogs coach Luke Beveridge said from the outset they wouldn’t deal Stringer cheaply.

“We’re not going to just say ‘Here you go, you can have Jake Stringer’,” he told the Herald Sun.

“We’ve said to him, you’re going to play here mate if no one is going to treat you with the respect you should have as far as what you have achieved, because we need to do what’s right for the club as much as you as well.

“You asked if it’s irretrievable. It’s not.”

List manager Jason McCartney reiterated: “If we cannot achieve a satisfactory agreement with another club he will remain with the Western Bulldogs.

“We are very clear on that. Jake is contracted for next season and we would look forward to him playing with us in 2018 if a deal doesn’t work out over the next few weeks.”

The Bombers are all-in for the 2015 All-Australian and 2016 premiership star and they waiting for the Bulldogs to buckle ahead of next week’s 2pm trade deadline.

They have Stringer’s word that he will boost his fitness over summer in preparation to be reprogrammed as a midfield-forward.

They have met with him countless times and at every level, with list manager Adrian Dodoro, coach John Worsfold and chief executive Xavier Campbell all sitting down with the erratic gamebreaker.

But Essendon - eager to shed its tag as hard to deal with in trade week - knows the talks are on a knife’s edge.

azabob
13-10-2017, 08:21 AM

From afar the problem with Jake is what he says and what he actually does are two entirely different things. Do we trust him this time around?

Is the talk Stringer had a poor influence on the younger players true? And if so worth the risk?

bulldogtragic
13-10-2017, 08:45 AM
Sounds like Connors thinks there's only one Victorian club interested in him.

Bulldog Revolution
13-10-2017, 09:11 AM
From afar the problem with Jake is what he says and what he actually does are two entirely different things. Do we trust him this time around?

Is the talk Stringer had a poor influence on the younger players true? And if so worth the risk?

They need a weekend away surfing - perhaps a camp fire

Remi Moses
13-10-2017, 09:25 AM

The best post I've read in this whole soap opera . Jake dare I say it , tarnished his brand when was wheeled out for trade radio launch
In denial

Dry Rot
13-10-2017, 09:46 AM
Some of us hoped that there might be late interest in Stringer from another like club like Saints or North but now Stringer cannot be traded to another Victorian club, except for the Bombers.

So he stays or we eat shit from the Bombers.

GVGjr
13-10-2017, 09:48 AM
Some of us hoped that there might be late interest in Stringer from another like club like Saints or North but now Stringer cannot be traded to another Victorian club, except for the Bombers.

So he stays or we eat shit from the Bombers.

How does that work?

Dry Rot
13-10-2017, 09:54 AM
How does that work?

With a week to go for trading, Stringer is pissing off overseas.

Either his manager is incompetent or is putting further pressure on us, but you don't let your client piss off at this time.

If another Vic club has late interest, Stringer won't be here to talk to them.

Axe Man
13-10-2017, 09:55 AM
TIGERS TO HELP DONS LAND STRINGER?

COULD Richmond be a surprise player in helping Essendon land Jake Stringer?

The Tigers are largely staying away from the AFL Trade Period this year but former Bombers champion Matthew Lloyd said they could be called upon by other clubs.

Essendon does not have a top-20 pick to trade the Western Bulldogs for Stringer, after giving away Pick 11 as part of the Devon Smith trade yesterday.

Richmond currently has Pick 15 - which it received from Geelong as part of the Brett Deledio trade last year - as well as Pick 17.

Lloyd said Pick 15 could be traded in return for Essendon’s two second-round picks – picks 24 and 29 – in a win-win for both clubs.

“It also helps Richmond with their positioning for points, getting (Patrick) Naish through the door,” Lloyd said on AFL Trade Radio.

Dry Rot
13-10-2017, 09:57 AM
Would we accept pick 15?

GVGjr
13-10-2017, 10:08 AM

Either his manager is incompetent or is putting further pressure on us, but you don't let your client piss off at this time.

In reality it's probably down to either Essendon or us but he hasn't he already talked to Geelong and I think he did with StKilda.

Ghost Dog
13-10-2017, 10:08 AM
Would we accept pick 15?

The media will say we should ( How Bulldogs dropped the ball, what stupid headline yesterday ) but I think most of us will say no.

Bulldog Revolution
13-10-2017, 10:10 AM
The media will say we should ( How Bulldogs dropped the ball, what stupid headline yesterday ) but I think most of us will say no.

Id say the Dons potentially dropped the ball by trading it early for Smith, and risking not getting the most talented player, but time will tell

GVGjr
13-10-2017, 10:12 AM
TIGERS TO HELP DONS LAND STRINGER?

COULD Richmond be a surprise player in helping Essendon land Jake Stringer?

The Tigers are largely staying away from the AFL Trade Period this year but former Bombers champion Matthew Lloyd said they could be called upon by other clubs.

Essendon does not have a top-20 pick to trade the Western Bulldogs for Stringer, after giving away Pick 11 as part of the Devon Smith trade yesterday.

Richmond currently has Pick 15 - which it received from Geelong as part of the Brett Deledio trade last year - as well as Pick 17.

Lloyd said Pick 15 could be traded in return for Essendon’s two second-round picks – picks 24 and 29 – in a win-win for both clubs.

“It also helps Richmond with their positioning for points, getting (Patrick) Naish through the door,” Lloyd said on AFL Trade Radio.

It's a reasonable solution not an ideal one if we believe it's better to move Stringer on.

That would give us picks 9, 15, and 27 with 40 going to Fremantle for Crozier. Maybe then it's pick 15 for Schache

West Coast or Sydney might be tempted with similar offers.

bulldogtragic
13-10-2017, 10:12 AM
Would we accept pick 15?

Only if they can supply a worthwhile player with it, or a second rounder next year.

GVGjr
13-10-2017, 10:13 AM
Would we accept pick 15?

Maybe, it's close but not ideal.

GVGjr
13-10-2017, 10:14 AM
Only if they can supply a worthwhile player with it, or a second rounder next year.

I think a 2nd rounder for next year is an option if we can be creative

Bulldog4life
13-10-2017, 10:14 AM
TIME FOR LUKE BEVERIDGE TO POP HIS HEAD UP AGAIN

Luke Beveridge has been roundly criticised for telling the Herald Sun’s Mark Robinson there was no way Jake Stringer would remain at the Kennel.

Right now no one believes the Dogs when they make it clear they might be prepared to accept Stringer back if they can’t get a first-round pick.

So why doesn’t Beveridge publicly call Essendon’s bluff, stating on the record that he has reconsidered his stance.

Make it clear the Dogs are very much prepared to forgive and forget.

Make it clear they will sell him to the highest bidder or accept him back — but not accept cop unders for a potential superstar.

Beveridge inferred that Stringer was uncoachable when he met his representatives and told them he would be traded.

So maybe they wouldn’t believe him anyway.

But right now its hard to see how the Bombers won’t get the Stringer deal done with their current second-rounder and a future second-rounder

Maybe Geelong will reconsider and stump up pick 20 for Stringer.

Somehow the Dogs need to make rivals believe they actually will accept him back.

At present it just seems like an empty threat.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/all-the-trade-buzz-from-jon-ralph-including-jake-lever-and-devon-smith-analysis-daniel-menzel-and-the-dogs-jake-stringer-mess/news-story/9e518e363d15e7b1f6ceac5f9a6a8132

GVGjr
13-10-2017, 10:18 AM
Could there be a 3 way deal with Geelong, North and us that involve Lang, Stringer, Motlop and draft picks?

Geelongs compo for Motlop might be the key.

bulldogtragic
13-10-2017, 10:23 AM
I think a 2nd rounder for next year is an option if we can be creative

It's the best worst option probably. My thinking is now, but what can we do with it? That's they key. If 15 & Crameri got us Schache & Martin, that's a great result. If Dalrymple expects West & Khamis to cost lots of draft points next year, a second rounder next year bringing in about 700 points is a nice supply if needed. Best worst option.

Axe Man
13-10-2017, 10:27 AM
Could there be a 3 way deal with Geelong, North and us that involve Lang, Stringer, Motlop and draft picks?

Norths compo for Motlop might be the key.

North would be doing well to get compensation for Daniel or Shannon +10 years since they left! ;)

GVGjr
13-10-2017, 10:29 AM
North would be doing well to get compensation for Daniel or Shannon +10 years since they left! ;)

Thanks I will edit mine :)

G-Mo77
13-10-2017, 10:33 AM
Be prepared for a bum deal guys. I truely believe we're backed into a corner here and will have to take unders.

hujsh
13-10-2017, 10:35 AM

Luke Beveridge has been roundly criticised for telling the Herald Sun’s Mark Robinson there was no way Jake Stringer would remain at the Kennel.

Huh?

I don't remember that and have seen the opposite stated numerous times. What bullshit reporting is this?

Axe Man
13-10-2017, 10:47 AM
Huh?

I don't remember that and have seen the opposite stated numerous times. What bullshit reporting is this?

It's completely false, here is the Slobbo article with Bevo.

Luke Beveridge says decision to trade Jake Stringer was mutual between club and player (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/western-bulldogs/luke-beveridge-says-decision-to-trade-jake-stringer-was-mutual-between-club-and-player/news-story/f274da3876a106d26dcf77b0124e5a11)

WESTERN Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge says he acted in the greater interests of the club in deciding to move on forward Jake Stringer.

In his first comments on the stunning split, Beveridge told the Herald Sun his premiership forward ultimately agreed he would be better suited elsewhere.

The only scenario which would see Stringer, 23, remain at the Bulldogs would be if a trade deal didn’t satisfy the club.

“Jake’s management and the club got together and both agreed we’d explore alternatives to him playing at the club and explore what’s right for his long-term future and the club’s,’’ Beveridge told the Herald Sun.

“It’s as simple as that ... I’m not going into details.”

Stringer’s football issues centre around a lack of professionalism in preparation, at training and the rehabilitation of injuries.

They are compounded by a litany of off-field issues, ranging from his personal situation with his former partner, the stresses of being a young father, to behavioural concerns.

Beveridge conceded the decision to trade his one-time All-Australian forward was a tough one.

“It is because first and foremost I operate from a platform of care and duty to our players and I’ve got to look after the whole group,” the coach said.

“But when it comes to the point where both parties are saying maybe it’s best to explore somewhere else, it means then it’s right for that individual, but it’s also right for the group he’s going to leave behind.”

A worthy trade would have to be organised, Beveridge said.

“Ultimately, he’s still a contracted player,” he said.

“We’re not going to just say ‘Here you go, you can have Jake Stringer’. We’ve said to him, you’re going to play here mate if no one is going to treat you with the respect you should have as far as what you have achieved, because we need to do what’s right for the club as much as you as well.

“We’ll try to work it out together.

“You asked if it’s irretrievable. It’s not. Ultimately, (if) Jake is still playing at the football club, then we’ve just got to work through that next year, of maturity and what it looks like for him, and see how we go.’’

Stringer has kicked 160 goals in 89 games after being taken at pick No.5 in the 2012 national draft.

Essendon and Geelong are reportedly Stringer’s preferred destinations, although it’s understood several clubs have made inquiries to Stringer’s manager Paul Connors.

St Kilda coach Alan Richardson said last week the Saints were interested in talking to Stringer.

Earning about $500,000 a season and with a year to run on his contract, the trade value for Stringer is anywhere between pick No.10 and pick No.25, depending on whether you highlight his qualities or deficiencies.

Connors refused to comment.

Beveridge said Stringer had unique challenges as a player and person and that the club had supported him through difficult times.

“Each player is presented with a different set of challenges,” he said.

“He’s obviously become a high-profile player very early in the piece and when you think of his life, having two young daughters, obviously going through settlement proceedings because he’s not married, and being a boy from the bush, and the city life ... he’s got a lot on his plate, a lot of challenges.

“And maybe it takes a little while to be able to get on top of those things. But he’s got unique challenges a lot of players haven’t had in the game.’’

Beveridge denied reports Stringer stormed out of his end-of-season exit interview.

“When I heard about it, I chuckled,” Beveridge said.

“He didn’t at all. We chatted more about family and future, he has two little girls and about what’s next for him, and we walked out as amicable as we ever have been.

“We’ve always had a good relationship, we still have, there’s no heat.

“The thing about exit meetings is there’s no surprises. Jake wasn’t surprised by anything we said or anything he mentioned to us in so far as what he’s going to work on and what are his strengths, so that was all fine.

“That was purely a fabrication.”

Axe Man
13-10-2017, 10:51 AM
Article has now been edited:

Luke Beveridge has been roundly criticised for telling the Herald Sun’s Mark Robinson that it was time to trade Jake Stringer.

In truth he did say a reconciliation was possible, but he made it absolutely clear in meetings with Stringer’s representatives that the player wasn’t coming back.

Right now no one believes the Dogs when they make it clear they might be prepared to accept Stringer back if they can’t get a first-round pick.

So why doesn’t Beveridge publicly call Essendon’s bluff, stating on the record that he has reconsidered his stance.

Make it clear they will sell him to the highest bidder or accept him back — but not accept cop unders for a potential superstar.

Beveridge inferred that Stringer was uncoachable when he met his representatives and told them he would be traded.

But right now its hard to see how the Bombers won’t get the Stringer deal done with their current second-rounder and a future second-rounder

Somehow the Dogs need to make rivals believe they actually will accept him back.

bulldogtragic
13-10-2017, 10:54 AM
You and your facts. Pffft. :D

hujsh
13-10-2017, 10:55 AM
Oh so he's still roundly criticized but everyone in unison all had to correct themselves. The only constant in this scenario is that Beveridge should be criticised for some reason.

EDIT: And now the rest of the article makes no sense. He should announce that he's reconsidered his stance that Stringer would be traded at the right price? He hasn't. We haven't been offered the right price.

Just bullshit.

Grantysghost
13-10-2017, 10:56 AM
Richmond have rejected Essendons request for pick swaps to get 15 according to Jay Clarke in Hun.

Bulldog Revolution
13-10-2017, 10:59 AM
Richmond have rejected Essendons request for pick swaps to get 15 according to Jay Clarke in Hun.

Fair enough, it didnt seem to make too much sense for them

bulldogtragic
13-10-2017, 11:03 AM
Pick 24 (2017) & 1st rounder 2018. They could do this if they actually wanted to. They don't want to.

GVGjr
13-10-2017, 11:13 AM
Pick 24 (2017) & 1st rounder 2018. They could do this if they actually wanted to. They don't want to.

I don't think they would do the 2018 pick on it's own let alone adding pick 24 this year. We would need to add something back to them
It gets even harder to predict the outcome so for me it's less likely.

For Essendon the offer is have picks 24 and 28 this year or 24 or 28 this year and a 2018 2nd rounder.

bulldogtragic
13-10-2017, 11:17 AM
I don't think they would do the 2018 pick on it's own let alone adding pick 24 this year. We would need to add something back to them
It gets even harder to predict the outcome so for me it's less likely.

For Essendon the offer is have picks 24 and 28 this year or 24 or 28 this year and a 2018 2nd rounder.

Then Connors needs to be flogging his client harder to more clubs, or he stays. I don't like that at all.

ledge
13-10-2017, 11:17 AM
Amazing the rubbish that these journos are putting up, they dream some sort of deal up and then believe it's true.
Fact we will only trade stringer if we get a high first rounder, what part don't the journos get ?
Nothing's changed as far as anyone knows, the club hasnt said it's changed either.
Click bait and fake news at its best.

Rocket Science
13-10-2017, 11:21 AM

Booked in advance or not this is woeful timing and a pretty shit look for a bloke with suddenly so much to prove to his industry whether with a new employer or his current one.

---

Silly question time : Where has it been made iron clad that pick 11 was 'it' for Jake as far as we were concerned, aside from the fact the Bombers popped their ugly heads up and that happened to be the position of their 2017 pick?

I recall mention of a "high first rounder" from McCartney earlier on and praying it wasn't bluff. Also crossing fingers the club saw #11 as bare minimum and won't entertain any sliding back from that position.

ledge
13-10-2017, 11:22 AM
Wierdest thing I find is Connors comes out and bags a club he is dealing with , and the criticism didn't make sense either "backflip" ?
Who has a go at a club that provides you with an income, talk about burn bridges or stuff up your future trading with the club.
He should be sucking up not working against his employer ( by proxy) .
Maybe he should take a good look at himself and his player manager role because in the end that's how it got to this , he wasn't managing his player !

LongWait
13-10-2017, 11:23 AM
Article has now been edited:

Luke Beveridge has been roundly criticised for telling the Herald Sun’s Mark Robinson that it was time to trade Jake Stringer.

In truth he did say a reconciliation was possible, but he made it absolutely clear in meetings with Stringer’s representatives that the player wasn’t coming back.

The Journo who interviewed Beveridge made no reference in the original article to Bevo intimating that Jake would not be accepted back...in fact, today Robbo penned an article with Sam Landsberger in which he said that Stringer was a definite chance to remain at the Bulldogs, although he thought a deal with Essendon was more likely.

ledge
13-10-2017, 11:28 AM
Booked in advance or not this is woeful timing and a pretty shit look for a bloke with suddenly so much to prove to his industry whether with a new employer or his current one.

---

Silly question time : Where has it been made iron clad that pick 11 was 'it' for Jake as far as we were concerned, aside from the fact the Bombers popped their ugly heads up and that happened to be the position of their 2017 pick?

I recall mention of a "high first rounder" from McCartney earlier on and praying it wasn't bluff. Also crossing fingers the club saw #11 as bare minimum and won't entertain any sliding back from that position.

Stringer going away tells me two things..
1 he hasn't learnt anything
2 he actually wants to stay and doesn't want to meet other clubs.
Did I read somewhere here he didn't even turn up to one clubs planned interview with him?

Pick 11 wasn't accepted because it was to high and so now the journos say we missed it ? No we didn't accept it .
So now they say we have to take a lower pick. No we keep him .. It was stated very early give us what we want or he stays !

ledge
13-10-2017, 11:31 AM
The Journo who interviewed Beveridge made no reference in the original article to Bevo intimating that Jake would not be accepted back...in fact, today Robbo penned an article with Sam Landsberger in which he said that Stringer was a definite chance to remain at the Bulldogs, although he thought a deal with Essendon was more likely.

Well that's a contradiction as well . Definite to stay but a deal with Essendon more likely .. Which is it . I suggest he look up the word definite in the dictionary

Bulldog4life
13-10-2017, 11:33 AM
Stringer going away tells me two things..
1 he hasn't learnt anything
2 he actually wants to stay and doesn't want to meet other clubs.
Did I read somewhere here he didn't even turn up to one clubs planned interview with him?

Pick 11 wasn't accepted because it was to high and so now the journos say we missed it ? No we didn't accept it .
So now they say we have to take a lower pick. No we keep him .. It was stated very early give us what we want or he stays !

I haven't read anywhere that he says he wants to go to Essendon.

LongWait
13-10-2017, 11:33 AM
Well that's a contradiction as well . Definite to stay but a deal with Essendon more likely .. Which is it . I suggest he look up the word definite in the dictionary

"Definite chance" was the term I used...not definite. Also, I was paraphrasing Robbo....he may not have used those exact words.

Mofra
13-10-2017, 11:38 AM
Listening to Robbo on SEN last night, he was quick to avoid any "off the record" chat with Bevo and when asked he repeated what Bevo said previously.

Bulldog Revolution
13-10-2017, 11:57 AM

Pick 11 wasnt offered outright

We had to give back pick 26 - so effectively we would have been trading stringer for a 15 pick upgrade, and a third round pick (40 something)

bulldogtragic
13-10-2017, 11:59 AM
Pick 11 wasnt offered, or it was, but we had to give back pick 26 - so effectively we would have been trading stringer for a 15 pick upgrade, and a third round pick (40 something)

This. It was just an upgrade. Pick 40 is a nothing in this type of player trade.

Happy Days
13-10-2017, 11:59 AM
Listening to Robbo on SEN last night, he was quick to avoid any "off the record" chat with Bevo and when asked he repeated what Bevo said previously.

Ah, the old "off the record" chat to substantiate claims that they can't with actual proof. Second only to "well things changed" when they get something blatantly wrong in my journalistic slight of hand rankings.

GVGjr
13-10-2017, 12:14 PM
Then Connors needs to be flogging his client harder to more clubs, or he stays. I don't like that at all.

Geelong can put a good offer forward once they know what is happening with Motlop

I know it's an inferior offer but two picks in the 2nd round next year plus whatever we have is interesting to me not that I think we will take it

ledge
13-10-2017, 12:15 PM
The stuff going around about all trades is mostly just journos guessing and having their own outcome, why can't they wait and then report on trades when they are done , stop the speculating because 90% are wrong and just pathetic.
They get interviews off clubs no matter how black and white then twist it to suit their apparent expert opinion, even when the club has said the opposite.

bulldogtragic
13-10-2017, 12:27 PM
Geelong can put a good offer forward once they know what is happening with Motlop

I know it's an inferior offer but two picks in the 2nd round next year plus whatever we have is interesting to me not that I think we will take it

As laid out yesterday, if Motlop gets them 20, which is should, and they offered 20 & 22 I'd be keen to take that on the provision Brisane would take pick 20 & Crameri/Campbell/Honey for Schache and GCS would take 22 or 27 with a fringe player for Saad (or a similar player trade with them or elsewhere, Kennedy with us adding more maybe). Then the trade is Stringer for Schache & Saad/Kennedy. I'd take that trade.

jeemak
13-10-2017, 12:34 PM
The stuff going around about all trades is mostly just journos guessing and having their own outcome, why can't they wait and then report on trades when they are done , stop the speculating because 90% are wrong and just pathetic.
They get interviews off clubs no matter how black and white then twist it to suit their apparent expert opinion, even when the club has said the opposite.

The trade period could easily be a 72 hour affair, but, the AFL and its media want the AFL to be relevant between the final game of the season and the draft, and then the start of preseason.

It's nothing more than a saturation tactic to keep in the minds of the consumer.

LostDoggy
13-10-2017, 12:50 PM
Time for Bevo to invite Jake over for dinner and take him off the trade table.

LostDoggy
13-10-2017, 12:59 PM
The trade period could easily be a 72 hour affair, but, the AFL and its media want the AFL to be relevant between the final game of the season and the draft, and then the start of preseason.

It's nothing more than a saturation tactic to keep in the minds of the consumer.

Apparently social media and sites like BF activity levels go through the roof during trade period. Whilst that's the case, there is not a hope in hell that the AFEL will shorten it. We are all part of the problem...

Bulldog Revolution
13-10-2017, 01:01 PM

Yes, its at least a possibility to consider

1eyedog
13-10-2017, 01:03 PM

Jake is in the air to the States right now.

LostDoggy
13-10-2017, 01:11 PM

Ah, my metaphor comes unstuck!

Rocket Science
13-10-2017, 01:11 PM

With no AFEL suitors, perhaps a career in punting beckons.

bulldogtragic
13-10-2017, 01:15 PM
With no AFEL suitors, perhaps a career in punting beckons.

That's partly why he's in trouble. :D Not a good career...

Topdog
13-10-2017, 01:15 PM
It's really not something we should be making light of

Axe Man
13-10-2017, 01:18 PM
Richmond, Fremantle rebuff three-way deal involving Bulldog Jake Stringer (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/essendon/richmond-rebuffs-essendon-on-threeway-deal-involving-bulldog-jake-stringer-draft-pick/news-story/29de2091f516c5be55c58473e23697f5?utm_content=SocialFlow&utm_campaign=EditorialSF&utm_source=HeraldSun&utm_medium=Twitter)

FREMANTLE is the latest club to shut down the Western Bulldogs’ desperate bid to secure an early pick for Jake Stringer.

The Dockers follow Richmond, after the Herald Sun revealed this morning the Tigers had opted to sit out of a draft pick swap that could have helped Stringer get to Essendon.

Now the Herald Sun can reveal the Dogs approached the Dockers with a renewed plan, with a third club now key to solving the most high-profile deal of the trade period.

Under the proposal, the Bulldogs were happy to pave Stringer’s way to Essendon in exchange for the Bombers’ two second-round selections — 24 and 29.

The Dogs then wanted to hand one of those picks and its first round selection — No.9 — to Fremantle for the Dockers’ pick five.

Fremantle doesn’t have a pick between five and 40 in next month’s national draft and was seen to have an olive branch, but the Dockers said no.

It’s understood Fremantle’s pick five held appeal at the Bulldogs, who have taken a liking to a midfielder at next month’s national draft.

The Dockers rejection came after Richmond said it also wouldn’t get involved in a three-way deal to solve the Stringer impasse. The Tigers have picks 15 and 17 in the draft which they are holding, in part, to claim father-son midfielder Patrick Naish.

Essendon asked whether the Tigers would trade pick 15 (worth 1112 draft value index points) for the Bombers’ picks 24 and 29 (total 1438).

The draft value index points could be evened out even more by adding Richmond’s pick 51 (worth 249 points) to the deal, if necessary.

The deal could be a massive help for Essendon because they could offer pick No.15 on to the Bulldogs in return for Stringer.

Recently, respected manager Scott Lucas said he thought pick No.15 would be a fair trade for Stringer.

But the Tigers have indicated they aren’t interested in that deal and want to keep their two top-20 picks for Naish and another highly-rated player.

It leaves the Bombers and Bulldogs looking for another way to secure the Stringer deal before Thursday’s trade deadline.

The Stringer camp was left shellshocked by Essendon’s decision on Thursday morning to trade pick 11 — which the Bulldogs had demanded for Stringer — to secure Devon Smith from Greater Western Sydney.

The Dogs’ determination to work the best deal is both admirable and a sign that the chances of Stringer returning to the kennel is extremely remote.

Stringer has told confidants he would rather sit out a year of football if faced with the reality of having to return to the Whitten Oval, but history says that’s a threat that is rarely followed through.

The mercurial, yet flawed, forward, leaves this week on a holiday to the US.

Stringer’s manager, Paul Connors, yesterday told the Herald Sun: “We’re committed to Essendon and that’s what we’re going to do. But it’s tricky. But we’re confident it will be done.”

Essendon have been given Stringer’s word that he will improve his fitness and training standards over summer so he can spend more time in the midfield.

Geelong could send a similar request to Richmond if the Cats decided to jump back into the Stringer race, as part of an even sweeter points boost for the Tigers.

The Cats already have pick No.21 and could secure pick No.19 as first-round free agency compensation for Steve Motlop if he moves to Adelaide or Port Adelaide.

Geelong could bundle those two selections together (worth 1793 points) in exchange for Richmond’s pick No.15 and a later pick, or midfield-forward Sam Lloyd.

The Cats have been identified as a potential new home for Lloyd if the Cats lose Motlop and fellow goal kicker Daniel Menzel.

bulldogtragic
13-10-2017, 01:20 PM
You want to sit the year out Jake? Fine.

1eyedog
13-10-2017, 01:45 PM
Yeah stuff him sit him out.

ledge
13-10-2017, 01:56 PM
Seems no one wants to help Essendon out, Dodoro burnt to many bridges ?

ledge
13-10-2017, 01:59 PM
MaCartney mentioned about us accepting him back wouldn't be that hard and a meeting with bulldog management and jakes management is being talked about.

Rocket Science
13-10-2017, 02:01 PM
So, had that got up ...

OUT
Stringer

IN

And we were actively pursuing that? Which basically boils down to upgrading #9 into #5 for a *chance* at a prospective mid? AND Dodo gets his man for a couple of second rounders.

Hand me the lube people because that suggests we're going to be on the receiving end of something awful.

LostDoggy
13-10-2017, 02:01 PM
If Geelong end up with 19&21 after Motlop and are keen on Stringer, they may well be the party we end up dealing with. Would love to turn our backs on Essendon.

The Bulldogs Bite
13-10-2017, 02:03 PM
So, had that got up ...

OUT
Stringer

IN

And we were actively pursuing that? Which basically boils down to upgrading #9 into #5 for a *chance* at a prospective mid?

Hand me the lube people because that suggests we're going to be on the receiving end of something awful.

Yep.

This is awful.

The way we have handled this whole saga has been atrocious, including Bevo's completely and unnecessary column with Robbo about Stringer.

Once again - will reserve total judgement until we get confirmation - but I am loading up in preparation.

The Bulldogs Bite
13-10-2017, 02:06 PM
If Stringer is threatening to sit out the year, I hope we take him off the table now and pay for a ticket to Las Vegas.

bulldogtragic
13-10-2017, 02:07 PM
If Geelong end up with 19&21 after Motlop and are keen on Stringer, they may well be the party we end up dealing with. Would love to turn our backs on Essendon.

I've been on this pony since Dodoro decides to send 11 to GWS. Picks 20 & 22 after the compo is good currency to pursue young talent like Schache, Saad, Kennedy etc.

Essendon don't really have enough, or the will seemingly, to get Jake. So hopefully we are talking to Geelong very seriously.

Mofra
13-10-2017, 02:21 PM
So, had that got up ...

OUT
Stringer

IN

And we were actively pursuing that? Which basically boils down to upgrading #9 into #5 for a *chance* at a prospective mid? AND Dodo gets his man for a couple of second rounders.

Plus an extra second rounder.

We must really rate Coffield, Collingwood are set to snag him with pick 6.

hujsh
13-10-2017, 02:25 PM
So, had that got up ...

OUT
Stringer

IN

Put this in the basket with the Lobbe and the Demon guy (Bates?) as bad trades we've supposedly been saved from making

GVGjr
13-10-2017, 02:28 PM

I guess if a trade doesn't go through the two of them need to get together and clear the air.

LostDoggy
13-10-2017, 02:30 PM
FWIW Sam McClure tweeting Stringer deal will happen - not far off.

GVGjr
13-10-2017, 02:33 PM
Plus an extra second rounder.

We must really rate Coffield, Collingwood are set to snag him with pick 6.

He's a good Bulldogs boy.

Bulldog4life
13-10-2017, 02:34 PM

He is constantly wrong with his predictions

GVGjr
13-10-2017, 02:35 PM

I wonder if that is because Geelong now have some currency or Essendon have got something else done

bulldogtragic
13-10-2017, 02:39 PM
Motlop going on 4 years, good coin. Have to be an end of first round, pick 19.

Geelong 19 & 22.

19 for Schache
22 for Saad/Kennedy

That's enough for Stringer to go to Geelong for me.

LostDoggy
13-10-2017, 02:45 PM

Geelong 19 & 22.

19 for Schache
22 for Saad/Kennedy

Doubt 19 would get Schache. How about 19, 22 and Campbell for Schache, Martin and a lower pick?

GVGjr
13-10-2017, 02:47 PM

Geelong 19 & 22.

19 for Schache
22 for Saad/Kennedy

Looks interesting. I think Geelong would want something coming back otherwise they're coughing up pick 6 or so for Jake.
Perhaps #27 for #52.

Rocket Science
13-10-2017, 02:48 PM
Put this in the basket with the Lobbe and the Demon guy (Bates?) as bad trades we've supposedly been saved from making

Chris Dawes! Tom Lonergan!

At this stage cue the cone of shame for our own wellbeing!

http://i65.tinypic.com/x52g5d.png

bulldogtragic
Essendon have said Saad is worth no more than a second rounder (their 24 or 29). Scott Clayton said the club will work with any Victorian club on Saad for the best deal (it's about him going to Melbourne, not a specific club). If Geelong give us 19 & 22, then we have a better offer for Saad (pick 22) and throw in Campbell to make it happen.

Brisbane have said their expectation is a first rounder. Pick 19 is as good as. Crameri has said he is open to playing interstate. We can add in Stew to make a deal to land Schache.

Fremantle are dealing with GWS. GWS have an interest in Honey. We send pick 41 & Honey in this trade mix. Crozier comes to us.

Ins: Trengove, Schache, Saad, Crozier and Picks 9, 28 & 80 (Roarke) (7 in)
Outs: Stringer, Crameri, Campbell, Honey, Bob, Boyd, Hamilton (7 out)

So if Geelong offered that, and other clubs had agreements in principal upon the Geelong deal going through. It looks ok.

Bump to save me re-typing. Geelong likely to hold 19 & 22 any minute.

Honey by his own to GWS, and whatever to Geelong. If Carlton can't get Kennedy, we are positioned to if not Saad.

GVGjr
Doubt 19 would get Schache. How about 19, 22 and Campbell for Schache, Martin and a lower pick?

Another interesting option. I rate Martin but do we need him?

LostDoggy
13-10-2017, 02:49 PM
Looks interesting. I think Geelong would want something coming back otherwise they're coughing up pick 6 or so for Jake.
Perhaps #27 for #52.

Is 19 & 22 really worth 6? We traded 11 for 21&22 not long ago? The whole ratings system is befuddling.

Doc26
13-10-2017, 02:50 PM

Geelong 19 & 22.

19 for Schache
22 for Saad/Kennedy

Have you heard if Geelong's interest in Watts has dropped off? This would be integral to any move for Jake.

LostDoggy
13-10-2017, 02:52 PM
Another interesting option. I rate Martin but do we need him?

I think he fits us quite well because his timeframe as a genuine 1st ruck option is 2 years or so which ties in nicely with English's development. He is probably worth more to us than to the market generally.

bulldogtragic
13-10-2017, 02:52 PM
Have you heard if Geelong's interest in Watts has dropped off? This would be integral to any move for Jake.

Cooling. They're both going to be similar in demanded cost. I know who I'd rather if both cost the same.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
13-10-2017, 02:53 PM
Geelong only likely to get pick 35 for Motlop...yikes...

GVGjr
13-10-2017, 02:54 PM

Yep it changes things a fair bit but it's still doable.

bulldogtragic
13-10-2017, 02:54 PM

4 years on good dollars. The AFEL are screwing them over. They should match it then.

Topdog
13-10-2017, 03:04 PM
Is 19 & 22 really worth 6? We traded 11 for 21&22 not long ago? The whole ratings system is befuddling.

No it isn't, not even close. Points are different to draft picks. I don't any team would trade 6 for 19&21.

Happy Days
13-10-2017, 04:39 PM
If Stringer goes for any of the offers being put out in the wake of the Smith trade then I'll be very wary of trusting the club's public communications for a good while. The entire message has been that we would be happy to keep him should no suitable offer arises, yet we appear to be ready to settle for an unsuitable offer.

It seems we've been lied to and condescended in the foolhardy belief that we would just waltz away with pick 11, forgetting that other clubs actually act in their own best interest and do things like "negotiate" and "think". If our intention truly was to trade him at all costs, then we have horribly mishandled this by acting equal parts emotionally and arrogantly.

anfo27
13-10-2017, 04:43 PM
So, had that got up ...

OUT
Stringer

IN

Forget the lube Rocket. This deal looks like it's going to hurt a lot!

bornadog
13-10-2017, 04:58 PM
If Stringer is threatening to sit out the year, I hope we take him off the table now and pay for a ticket to Las Vegas.

I presume we don't pay him either? Hope he has some savings and hasn't gambled it all away.

Topdog
13-10-2017, 05:01 PM
Where has this sit out the year talk come from?!? Neither Stringer or his manager have come close to suggesting it

Axe Man
13-10-2017, 05:06 PM
Where has this sit out the year talk come from?!? Neither Stringer or his manager have come close to suggesting it

It's in the article I posted a couple of pages back. Whether there is any truth to it is another story.

Stringer has told confidants he would rather sit out a year of football if faced with the reality of having to return to the Whitten Oval, but history says that’s a threat that is rarely followed through.

bulldogtragic
13-10-2017, 05:06 PM

His friends (edit confidants) have told media outlets it.

Axe Man
13-10-2017, 05:08 PM
So, had that got up ...

OUT
Stringer

IN

You can't count 24 as an out unless you also count it as an in. Effectively you can ignore 24 and it's Stringer and 9 for 5 and 29.

Topdog
13-10-2017, 05:08 PM
Yep so still neither Stringer or manager. Just the gutter journos trying to make themselves sound correct

Funke disco
13-10-2017, 05:18 PM
Why would stringer sit out a year? It's the final year of his contract. How is he going to demand a pay rise for his next one? In his prime years

GVGjr
13-10-2017, 05:21 PM
Why would stringer sit out a year? It's the final year of his contract. How is he going to demand a pay rise for his next one? In his prime years

He will play and he will try and do his best. It's just a tactic.

LostDoggy
13-10-2017, 05:28 PM
He will not sit out next year empty threat, keep him and revisit it next year if it attitude doesn't change, playing footy is a privilege not a right and it's about time he realised that. Alot can change in 12 months back our system in and see how we go at worst we loose a 2nd round pick when compared to what is on offer now worth the gamble I think

Go_Dogs
13-10-2017, 05:50 PM
I’m comfortable with how this appears to be developing - happy for Jake to stay and despitenthe prolonged media narrative we all have to suffer through, I don’t think we will end up giving Jake away nor do I believe we can’t ensure a good working environment for all our players (including Jake) next year.

Ghost Dog
13-10-2017, 06:43 PM
Can't wait till Jake tears a hole in the opposition, wearing the tri-colour, and all these journos have to eat humble pie.

bulldogtragic
13-10-2017, 06:54 PM
Can't wait till Jake tears a hole in the opposition, wearing the tri-colour, and all these journos have to eat humble pie.
And his team mates get around him and celebrate with him after it with a hug, kiss or lick, grope on the arse or a bit of a dry root.

anfo27
13-10-2017, 07:00 PM

You're in fantasy land Ghost Dog. He will be traded & we are not getting much for it either. The proposed Freo deal which Freo rejected is proof to me we will move him no matter what. It was a 4 pick upgrade for Christ sake! I'm disgusted with JMac & after this trade period i'll be happy to help him pack his bags.

GVGjr
13-10-2017, 07:04 PM
You're in fantasy land Ghost Dog. He will be traded & we are not getting much for it either. The proposed Freo deal which Freo rejected is proof to me we will move him no matter what. It was a 4 pick upgrade for Christ sake! I'm disgusted with JMac & after this trade period i'll be happy to help him pack his bags.

So it all falls on J-Mac? No one else involved?

The Bulldogs Bite
13-10-2017, 07:09 PM
Being reported that we will accept x2 second round picks for Stringer with a late swap of picks.

If true, wow.

Doc26
13-10-2017, 07:12 PM
Being reported that we will accept x2 second round picks for Stringer with a late swap of picks.

If true, wow.

Yes just saw that on 7News.

Watson's smug face when announcing it felt like a dagger through the heart.

The reporter, Tom Browne, also took a fair swipe at Gordon, Grant, Dal and J-Mac, even showing some form of picture based org chart, accusing them of being completely disorganised around the loss of Pick 11 yesterday, and claiming that it took a bit for J-Mac to wrestle back control in decision making.

Wow we're really being made out to be amateurs at this.

I seriously hope this is just fake news otherwise all talk will be how we've been schooled by Dodoro.

GVGjr
13-10-2017, 07:23 PM
Assuming they are talking about this year picks that would give us 4 inside 30 which probably means no to Crameri

kruder
13-10-2017, 07:30 PM
Assuming they are talking about this year picks that would give us 4 inside 30 which probably means no to Crameri

If we accept two second rounders Id expect we have made a deal with an other club to get back into the first round.

anfo27
13-10-2017, 07:47 PM
So it all falls on J-Mac? No one else involved?

Not all but most of it. We joke about Dodoro but he has destroyed JMac in this trade. I don't know about you but I am embarrassed at this performance. This is like a 20 goal loss!
Jmac is like the kid in school that brings his footy cards & has a nice insert amongst them. By the end of the day you've traded a crap common card for it with him thinking he's come out on top.
I'm seething at this dud trade! We'll be laughed at forever for this. If I'm PG I'm walking in there & grabbing JMas by the ear & terminating right there & then. I'll never hear the end of this & nor should I.

hujsh
13-10-2017, 08:01 PM
Not all but most of it. We joke about Dodoro but he has destroyed JMac in this trade. I don't know about you but I am embarrassed at this performance. This is like a 20 goal loss!
Jmac is like the kid in school that brings his footy cards & has a nice insert amongst them. By the end of the day you've traded a crap common card for it with him thinking he's come out on top.
I'm seething at this dud trade! We'll be laughed at forever for this. If I'm PG I'm walking in there & grabbing JMas by the ear & terminating right there & then. I'll never hear the end of this & nor should I.

Jesus at least wait and see what happens before declaring some got destroyed. We haven't agreed to anything and the rest is just noise that may or may not be based on reality

bulldogtragic
13-10-2017, 08:02 PM
Two second rounders. If true, we are Dodoro's bitch and have to accept that.

However what the media don't mention is pick 11 was a 16 pick upgrade, not a straight trade. Reporting the truth would be helpful.

Conversely, if we have some grand plan with the picks I will reserve judgement and weigh up the final picks and players against Stringers trade.

Ghost Dog
13-10-2017, 08:04 PM

I'm a blind optimist with cursory footy knowledge but you know, one can't be wrong all the time!
One thing about the bulldogs - we can pull off miracles. You never know until the fat lady sings.

josie
13-10-2017, 08:23 PM
Whatever Stringer’s sins are, they are bad enough to have turned off other vic suitors. If we are done over in deal with Don’s there will be a lot of unhappy campers, including me. I suppose we have to trust the club, but geez not liking sounds of the possible trade outcomes. Seems relationship with club and player is irretrievable. Could Geelong still be in the frame?

Doc26
13-10-2017, 08:29 PM
Two second rounders. If true, we are Dodoro's bitch and have to accept that.

However what the media don't mention is pick 11 was a 16 pick upgrade, not a straight trade. Reporting the truth would be helpful.

Conversely, if we have some grand plan with the picks I will reserve judgement and weigh up the final picks and players against Stringers trade.

Yes this is a great and key point that I'm hanging on to.

ledge
13-10-2017, 08:32 PM
I guess it all depends if stringer pulls his finger out at the bombers , if he doesn't and continues on a downward path then we look like geniuses.
The truth is we won't know until a few years down the track who wins.

GVGjr
13-10-2017, 08:34 PM

So it does all fall on J-Mac despite there being a committee that includes PG that oversees every deal.
You're clearly playing the man not the ball so if you need a fall guy it might as well be J-Mac

bulldogtragic
13-10-2017, 08:45 PM
Yes this is a great and key point that I'm hanging on to.

This is where it's been with me for two days. If Geelong had 19 & 21 they'd be best, but the AFEL have screwed them with 35 for Motlop. So say it's 24, 27 (ours) & 29 from Essendon.

9, 24, 27, 29, Crameri, Campbell, Honeychurch

Without looking at too much (I'm editing)

Honey, Campbell & 29 for 25 from GWS

9, 24, 25, 27

Trade with Brisbane:

Dogs: 9, 24 & 25 and Crameri (3,010)
Lions: 12, 18 and Schache (2,253) (DVI pick 24 plus Crameri, plus they get a top 10 selection)

Then 12, 18 & 27.

Then 27 for Saad, Kennedy, solid youngster

End: Pick 12 & 18 (two first rounders), Pick 80 (Roarke upgrade), Schache, Saad etc, Crozier, Trengove, Freo 4th rounder 2018

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
13-10-2017, 08:51 PM
This is where it's been with me for two days. If Geelong had 19 & 21 they'd be best, but the AFEL have screwed them with 35 for Motlop. So say it's 24, 27 (ours) & 29 from Essendon.

Without looking at too much

9, 24, 25, 27

Trade with Brisbane:

Dogs: 9, 25, 27 and Crameri (2,928)
Lions: 12, 18 and Schache (2,253)

Then 12, 18 & 24.

Then 24 for Saad, Kennedy, solid youngster

End: Pick 12 & 18 (two first rounders), Pick 80 (Roarke upgrade), Schache, Saad etc, Crozier, Trengove, Freo 4th rounder 2018

Given it seems very likely JMac is off to Gold Coast, you should be submitting this proposal to the Dogs along with your C.V. right away BT.

Doc26
13-10-2017, 08:52 PM

Without looking at too much

9, 24, 25, 27

Trade with Brisbane:

Dogs: 9, 25, 27 and Crameri (2,928)
Lions: 12, 18 and Schache (2,253) (DVI pick 28 plus Crameri, plus they get a top 10 selection)

Then 12, 18 & 24.

Then 24 for Saad, Kennedy, solid youngster

Haven't the Lions offered 18(or 19) to the Crows for Cameron?

bulldogtragic
13-10-2017, 08:56 PM

Yep 19. Ballenden could be around the mark as an academy selection, so a solid bump into the top 10 and extra points after 20 is a double win for them.

bulldogtragic
13-10-2017, 08:57 PM
Given it seems very likely JMac is off to Gold Coast, you should be submitting this proposal to the Dogs along with your C.V. right away BT.

I have the time if you're reading Peter Gordon.

GVGjr
13-10-2017, 08:58 PM

I think it will be pick 12 with something coming back

Doc26
13-10-2017, 08:58 PM
Yep 19. Ballenden could be around the mark as an academy selection, so a solid bump into the top 10 and extra points after 20 is a double win for them.

Just for clarification, do the the Lions now have both 18 and 19 BT ?

bulldogtragic
13-10-2017, 08:59 PM
Just for clarification, do the the Lions now have both 18 and 19 BT ?

Yep they hold both right now.

Ghost Dog
13-10-2017, 09:00 PM

9, 24, 25, 27

Trade with Brisbane:

Lions: 12, 18 and Schache (2,253) (DVI pick 24 plus Crameri, plus they get a top 10 selection)

Then 12, 18 & 27.

Well done BT. A few guys on here literally could replace several dozen so called trade commentators on afl.com.au.

bulldogtragic
13-10-2017, 09:16 PM

9, 24, 25, 27

Trade with Brisbane:

Then 12, 18 & 27.

The other observation is, hypothetically said we did this exactly compared to the 'stupid people who stuffed up pick 11' according to uninformed media types...

We'd have 9 & 11 and that's it. However, above we have 12 & 18 slightly worse first rounders. But we'd get Schache & Saad/Kennedy/etc. And we wouldn't get to use Stew, BTC or Honey as meaningful upgrades because after 11 our next pick would be 80. So we'd lose any value they hold.

So Stringer for 11 makes no sense. Even in the 24 & 29 scenario, if we traded right we still have two first rounders and Schache & Saad/similar. Seems to me ignorant to bash us for knocking back the 16 pick upgrade to pick 11. But if the guys trade well with the picks if true, we can achieve a great result still. So my thoughts are lets see what happens, and if we take the second rounders, let's see what happens in other trades. We could take a little unders, but get overs overall.

FrediKanoute
14-10-2017, 12:37 AM

9, 24, 25, 27

Trade with Brisbane:

Then 12, 18 & 27.

Great Analysis - Lets hope this transpires!

Go_Dogs
14-10-2017, 07:12 AM

Wake up Jake

chef
14-10-2017, 07:58 AM
So it sounds like Stevos on the money and it'll be two 2nd rounders. Thats a pretty crap result but thats as good as it gets I guess.

Lets hope Dal can do his magic and Jake doesn't rediscover his 2015 form.

Go_Dogs
14-10-2017, 07:59 AM
If we put Essendon to one side for a moment, do you think we could entice North Melbourne with something along the lines of:-

Stringer, pick 9 (1469), pick 27 (703), 2018 second round

in exchange for

Pick 4 (2034), pick 22 (845), 2018 second round

This only values Jake at say pick 20 on the DVI (subject to 2018 ladder position), but moving up to the top 4 gives us a really strong crack at a high quality player and moves us up a little in the second round both this year and next. North have shown themselves to be reasonable trading partners, get to sell a high quality, AA, Premiership player joining their side and still have a top 10 pick and and top 30 pick at the draft.

GVGjr
14-10-2017, 08:30 AM
If we put Essendon to one side for a moment, do you think we could entice North Melbourne with something along the lines of:-

Stringer, pick 9 (1469), pick 27 (703), 2018 second round

in exchange for

Pick 4 (2034), pick 22 (845), 2018 second round

This only values Jake at say pick 20 on the DVI (subject to 2018 ladder position), but moving up to the top 4 gives us a really strong crack at a high quality player and moves us up a little in the second round both this year and next. North have shown themselves to be reasonable trading partners, get to sell a high quality, AA, Premiership player joining their side and still have a top 10 pick and and top 30 pick at the draft.

I don't think North have the cahones to make the deal unless we coughed up a lot more. Even then I doubt it.
They would find it hard to walk away from the good news story of an early pick.

I suspect that pick 21 is also in play to land Darcy Lang given their focus on improving their midfield however, that might be something we can get involved with if we can convince Stringer and his manager to consider Geelong.

We might be able to get Jake to consider Geelong but it doesn't sound like we can with North.

chef
14-10-2017, 09:27 AM
I don't think it's surprising that North with such a young list don't want something toxic like Stringer joining their list.

ratsmac
14-10-2017, 10:37 AM
I don't think it's surprising that North with such a young list don't want something toxic like Stringer joining their list.

I think they're still dealing with the Goldy shenanigans.

KT31
14-10-2017, 10:39 AM
Stevo reckons we may have to accept picks 24 and 29. Haha gee we've painted ourselves into a corner on this one.

Trying to find a silver lining here but If this means we pick up West and Khamis for nicks next year is it a bad thing ?
Bad egg out and two potential great kids in and all next years picks still available in a supposed super draft may be an upside.

GVGjr
14-10-2017, 10:54 AM
Trying to find a silver lining here but If this means we pick up West and Khamis for nicks next year is it a bad thing ?
Bad egg out and two potential great kids in and all next years picks still available in a supposed super draft may be an upside.

Thats why we might take Essendon's pick 24 this year and their future 2nd pick in 2018. That and the 20% discount and a couple of 4th round picks could add up nicely.

The Doctor
14-10-2017, 10:59 AM
Why isn't Essendon't 1st round pick in 2018 being mentioned?

That should be a minimum starting point now that they gave away pick 11 this year.

bulldogtragic
14-10-2017, 11:02 AM
Why isn't Essendon't 1st round pick in 2018 being mentioned.

That should be a minimum starting point now that they gave away pick 11 this year.

I agree. They may not want to give it up, but that's them they want their cake and to eat it too. If they improve on this year it could be pick 14 or 15. That's about the pick they wanted from Richmond this year, pick 15.

GVGjr
14-10-2017, 11:04 AM
Why isn't Essendon't 1st round pick in 2018 being mentioned?

I think it has and they shot it down straight away. From my understanding I don't think they would be interested even if we offered our pick 27 this year or our future 2nd rounder as a sweetener. They don't want to be out of the first round for consecutive years.

The Doctor
14-10-2017, 11:06 AM
Then they have nothing to offer us. We should walk away & tell them not to bother us unless they have a decent 1st round pick to trade.

lemmon
14-10-2017, 11:07 AM
I'd rather keep him and gamble that he can either turn things around and wants to stay, or has a good enough year to raise his value and get some other suitors involved.

If he crashes and burns and we lose out on two second rounders, I'll eat that. Our list is lacking the kind of talent that comes at the point end of the draft, we're pretty stocked for good foot soldiers.

GVGjr
14-10-2017, 11:12 AM
Then they have nothing to offer us. We should walk away & tell them not to bother us unless they have a decent 1st round pick to trade.

I'd rather keep him and gamble that he can either turn things around and wants to stay, or has a good enough year to raise his value and get some other suitors involved.

If he crashes and burns and we lose out on two second rounders, I'll eat that. Our list is lacking the kind of talent that comes at the point end of the draft, we're pretty stocked for good foot soldiers.

I agree with all that on the proviso the players still want to play footy with him and the coaches think he won't be a distraction.

It becomes increasingly difficult to have him at the club if the above can't be achieved.

His threat of standing out of footy next season means nothing to me and I don't think we should bow to that petulant threat if he decides to act it out.

SquirrelGrip
14-10-2017, 11:52 AM
If we do keep Jake, the key is to have an extra welfare “officer” or equivalent - just like Richmond had with Dusty. I guess the other difference there is that Dusty also has a manager who actually cares about his client and does whatever he can to protect him from external influences.

1eyedog
14-10-2017, 11:56 AM
We've gotta keep Jake. We're not going to find another one he's a superstar and we need to do everything to work this out.

josie
14-10-2017, 12:58 PM
The calming voice of Chris Grant in interview on Dogs website, easentially “our initial position has not really changed” (wished he’d left out the really though) and “every chance Stringer remains a bulldog in 2018”. Stand firm Dogs!!

bulldogtragic
14-10-2017, 01:18 PM
Here's the video that Josie refers to: http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2017-10-14/stringer-every-chance-to-stay-grant

Firing a clear shot at Essendon that Turtle is priming the members for Jake staying. Good tactical move if we are playing hardball.

So the trade committee is Turtle, JMac, Dal, Maple, Bevo & can be Gordon or Kent depending. Turtle to make the final call on Stringer. So JMac doubters, it's not in his hands.

GVGjr
14-10-2017, 01:38 PM
Here's the video that Josie refers to: http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2017-10-14/stringer-every-chance-to-stay-grant

Firing a clear shot at Essendon that Turtle is priming the members for Jake staying. Good tactical move if we are playing hardball.

So the trade committee is Turtle, JMac, Dal, Maple, Bevo & can be Gordon or Kent depending. Turtle to make the final call on Stringer. So JMac doubters, it's not in his hands.

That was the point I was making on the Jason McCartney thread. There is a committee that debates and then agrees on any deal struck. J-Mac might be the architect and the face of team but there is clearly a vigorous and experienced team in place to make sure there is a consensus decision. There will be no Chris Mayne type division where the coach later states the recruiting team got it wrong because that is not the way our football club is run. It might get loud and the media might put some spin on things that it's disorganised but clearly the right people have come together and will work through a difficult process. If a decision gets made that doesn't sit well with people then at least we can be comfortable that it wasn't done in splendid isolation by any one person.

Bulldog4life
14-10-2017, 01:57 PM
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/jake-stringer-trade-latest-conversation-driving-impasse-as-bulldogs-bombers-look-for-solution/news-story/263d708d466d30d41465fbda2b220485

THE Western Bulldogs will need to produce a “full court” effort showing they want Jake Stringer to keep him from leaving, says Fox Sports chief AFL reporter Jake Niall.

Stringer looks to have his heart set on a trade to Essendon after being told by the Bulldogs that he was up for a trade last month. The 23-year-old has reportedly battled off-field issues in the last year.

The Bulldogs have said that they believe they could still keep Stringer, but a difference in opinion over a conversation is driving the forward’s desire to leave.

“If you talk to the Bulldogs, or people around the Bulldogs, they say they can bring him back and that there’s potentially serious doubt that this trade will take place. And that they’d be happy to take him back and do a Stevie Johnson,” Niall said on AFL Tonight.

“The Stringer camp sees it very differently — that he will be going out.”

The current view is that Essendon’s two second round picks, 24 and 29, would be enough to satisfy the Bulldogs. They would then try to trade those as a package for a first-round pick.

However The Herald Sun reported on Friday that both Richmond and Fremantle would not get involved in deals. The Dockers denied an offer which would have seen them receive Picks 9, 24 and 29 for 5, while the Tigers said no to a trade of their Picks 15 and 51 for 24 and 29.

Essendon will not offer its future first round pick with most experts believing the 2018 draft to be one of the strongest in years.

The Bombers have offered Stringer what Niall called a “three-year, substantial contract”, while the Bulldogs are yet to do enough to prove to Stringer that he should stay.

“Luke Beveridge hasn’t been on the phone to him. There’s been some contact between the club and Jake Stringer, but they haven’t gone the full court, ‘we really love you, we want you back’,” Niall said.

“If they’re really serious about getting him back, those things will start happening. At the moment, Jake Stringer wants out, and on balance I think he’ll get out, although the deal is going to be problematic.”

Niall revealed that when Stringer was told he could be traded, the forward took it as more concrete than the Dogs did.

“It’s clear to me from talking to parties that there is a different view of the conversations from Stringer than there is from the Bulldogs,” he said.

“The Bulldogs feel that they told him there was always a chance to bring him back. Whereas once it had been said to Jake Stringer, he and his management’s view was that he’s out.”

GVGjr
14-10-2017, 02:07 PM
I don't mind Jake Niall. Balanced views and I think fairly consistent with what is actually happening.

It's over to Essendon now to see if they can produce a bit more to get a deal over the line.

Bulldog4life
14-10-2017, 02:12 PM
I don't mind Jake Niall. Balanced views and I think fairly consistent with what is actually happening.

It's over to Essendon now to see if they can produce a bit more to get a deal over the line.

Yes G he is a fair minded journalist.

mjp
14-10-2017, 02:35 PM
Disagree with the journo here. The coach needs to leave Jake alone until this is resolved one way or another. No point trying to 'repair' a relationship if we are still actively trying to trade him....it is just a waste of everyone's time AND it is also going to add to any mistrust. 'Bevo rang me today'. 'Oh yeah - that's nice. The club just said if they can get an extra 2nd next year the deal is done!' (Jake + Connors). Come 2pm next Thursday they need to have a chat - either 'good luck' or "let's make some time for each other before pre-seaon starts".

bulldogtragic
14-10-2017, 03:15 PM

9, 24, 25, 27

Trade with Brisbane:

Then 12, 18 & 27.

Ralph's reporting Geelong getting pick 20. They have 22.

20 & 22 for Stringer. We could pull something like the above off with 20 & 22. And NO STRING FOR YOU Dodoro!!

bulldogtragic
14-10-2017, 03:18 PM
The 2 X Second Rounders from Geelong model: Picks 19 & 22 or they may try 22 & 23 if North pay 23 for Lang.

Picks 9, 19, 22 & 28, Crameri, Campbell, Honeychurch

-----------

Honey, Campbell & 28 for 27 from GWS (& their 4th rounder 2018)

9, 19, 22, 27

Trade with Brisbane:

Dogs: 9, 22 & 27 and Crameri (3,017)
Lions: 12, 20 and Schache (2,180) (DVI = pick 21 plus Crameri. Extra points land Ballenden close to outright, plus they get a top 10 selection)

Then: Picks 12, 19 & 20

Then: Pick 20 to land a good young midfielder or outside type, Saad, Kennedy, Lang etc.

End: Pick 12 & 19 (two first rounders), Pick 80 (Roarke upgrade), Schache, Saad etc, Crozier, Trengove, Freo & GWS 4th rounder 2018

Out 7: Bob, Boyd, Hamilton, Stringer, Crameri, Campbell, Honey
In 7: Trengove, Crozier, Schache, Saad/Lang/Kennedy/etc, Roarke Smith, Pick 12, Pick 19

A good turnover of personnel might also help put a full stop on this year, and start a fresh with 100% commitment fron old and new players like.

ledge
14-10-2017, 03:25 PM
Ralph's reporting Geelong getting pick 20. They have 22.

20 & 22 for Stringer. We could pull something like the above off with 20 & 22.

They want Ablett though and would need to Use one of those at least.

bulldogtragic
14-10-2017, 03:27 PM
They want Ablett though and would need to Use one of those at least.

AFL permitting them to offer futures. They do this and they get Ablett & Stringer this year. Or they might get something good for Lang. GCS want a player also. And then I will be sick at the thought of hearing Cameron Ling again.

boydogs
14-10-2017, 04:18 PM
Or they might get something good for Lang

North might offer their 2nd. Geelong have the assets now if they want to deal them

bulldogtragic
14-10-2017, 04:27 PM
North might offer their 2nd. Geelong have the assets now if they want to deal them

Yep. They've also gone off Watts. Things are coming together for Geelong to make a serious play, or Essendon to realise they're missing out and get serious. Ideally Geelong and watch the media turn 'dogs let pick 11 go, the idiots they are' to, 'Essendon let Jake Stringer go, the idiots they are'...

comrade
14-10-2017, 04:43 PM
The Bombers have offered Stringer what Niall called a “three-year, substantial contract”, while the Bulldogs are yet to do enough to prove to Stringer that he should stay.

I know what we can do to prove to Jake that he should stay. Open up our filing cabinet and take out the legally binding contract for 2018 that he and his management signed off on for big dollars.

The media are dining out on the 'Stringer as victim' narrative. How are we managing to lose the PR battle here?

He's contracted, he's an off field train wreck, he's a lousy professional athlete in terms of preparation and training and...he...is...contracted.

We don't need to 'woo' him back. He hasn't left. He can't leave UNLESS WE LET HIM.

bulldogtragic
14-10-2017, 04:55 PM
You have to wonder how some people have media jobs. Jon Ralph tweeted about Essendon trading their two second rounders for Geelong's new pick 19. And pick 19 would secure Essendon Stringer.

1. We said top ten pick, not top 20. Maybe he forgot.
2. Geelong are after Stringer too so why would they trade their way out of prime position for 24 & 29, and gift Essendon the gun player they want...

Rocco Jones
14-10-2017, 05:00 PM
If he sits out the year, he will lose out on $500-600k. I am not sure Jake is the type who would save up in case of such a rainy day.

Grantysghost
14-10-2017, 05:36 PM
Essendon trolling the comments from Chris Grant regarding Jake. Seems a little disrespectful. An AFL tweet not a dogs one to be fair...

https://twitter.com/EssendonFC/status/919078964395524096

bulldogtragic
14-10-2017, 05:39 PM
I laid out last page what we could do with Geelong and others overall. Specifically though, when Lang for 23 happens, they'll have 19, 22 & 23.

Is 19 & 22 enough (2 X second rounders)? Would 19 & 23, plus swapping our 28 for 23 make it fall into the do it now category (2 X second rounders and a 5 pick upgrade in the second round)? Pick 28 should be enough with a player for GCS, but that's their trade.

It'd take us currently from Picks 9 & 28 plus Stringer - to - Picks 9, 19, 22, 23/28 and no Stringer obviously.

Doc26
14-10-2017, 05:47 PM
I laid out last page what we could do with Geelong and others overall. Specifically though, when Lang for 23 happens, they'll have 19, 22 & 23.

Is 19 & 22 enough (2 X second rounders)? Would 19 & 23, plus swapping our 28 for 23 make it fall into the do it now category (2 X second rounders and a 5 pick upgrade in the second round)? Pick 28 should be enough with a player for GCS, but that's their trade.

It'd take us currently from Picks 9 & 28 plus Stringer - to - Picks 9, 19, 22, 23/28 and no Stringer obviously.

A parting gesture to Essendon on the way out by nabbing Saad from GCS with one of our additional lower second rounders would be sweet and a little ironic.

bulldogtragic
14-10-2017, 05:58 PM
A parting gesture to Essendon on the way out by nabbing Saad from GCS with one of our additional lower second rounders would be sweet and a little ironic.

While singing Eddie Murphy’s Ice Cream Man to Dodoro.

No Stringer, No Saad, No First Rounder for Essendon. Yes please.

Bulldog4life
14-10-2017, 06:12 PM
Essendon trolling the comments from Chris Grant regarding Jake. Seems a little disrespectful. An AFL tweet not a dogs one to be fair...

It is like reading BF.

lemmon
14-10-2017, 06:33 PM

I think we're being a bit precious. It's just some fun on social media. Hopefully we serve something back.

Jeanette54
14-10-2017, 06:35 PM
Thank-you Chris, you are giving us pro-Stringer supporters some hope we may still see him stay a Bulldog and hopefully turn his life around, with us.

Doc26
14-10-2017, 06:50 PM

It's kind of hilarious in its hypocrisy.

This from a supporter base whose Club will forever be tarnished as the biggest drug cheats in Australian Sport, and whose Club will always be to the AFL what the East Germans of the 80s will always be to the Olympic sporting movement.

No chip this large can ever be removed from their shoulders.

Dry Rot
14-10-2017, 08:27 PM

But can we/will we use 2 extra picks this year?

bulldogtragic
14-10-2017, 08:39 PM
But can we/will we use 2 extra picks this year?

My full trade period hypothetical last page explains it more in detail. But yes.

We trade Stringer, Crameri, Campbell & Honey (all looking for new homes) to add to the three vacancies and we have 7 spots.

Doc26
14-10-2017, 10:22 PM
Latest from Jon Pierik from The Age.

Here's the key piece from the article, with the rest largely just editorial fluff.

Stringer's manager Robbie D'Orazio told Fairfax Media on Saturday he "won't be going back". D'Orazio had already made it clear it would be best for the premiership forward to head to a new club, having nominated Essendon as his preference.

bornadog
15-10-2017, 12:13 AM
Latest from Jon Pierik from The Age.

Here's the key piece from the article, with the rest largely just editorial fluff.

Pierik stole that from Channel 7 stalking Stringer when he was having a coffee with D'Orazio. That would have been Friday morning. Lots happened after that.

What the journos don't understand is we aren't trying to lure Stringer back, it is not his call as Comrade says. Stringer has been a bad influence at the club both on and off field, and we won't be taking him back if he doesn't pull his socks up.

kruder
15-10-2017, 01:38 AM
Come on boys like it or not Stringer won't be playing for the dogs next year its pretty simple, surely no one believes the rhetoric the club has been putting out there? No premiership hangover? Sound familiar?

Like it or not our club has dropped the ball on this one , I'm fine with the hard stance but the amateur hour that has followed the so called exit interview has been embarrassing for all concerned. We can sit here and laugh at Damo and Channel 7 but make no mistake from Gordon to Bevo there needs to be a hard line taken in their own exit interviews after one of the more forgettable years I can remember.

Not all is lost, I still think we can rise again with this list and this coach as long lessons are learned but one things for sure there won't be a player at the Bulldogs that will be effectively sacked prior to trade week in the near future.

bornadog
15-10-2017, 06:17 AM
Come on boys like it or not Stringer won't be playing for the dogs next year its pretty simple, surely no one believes the rhetoric the club has been putting out there? No premiership hangover? Sound familiar?

Like it or not our club has dropped the ball on this one , I'm fine with the hard stance but the amateur hour that has followed the so called exit interview has been embarrassing for all concerned. We can sit here and laugh at Damo and Channel 7 but make no mistake from Gordon to Bevo there needs to be a hard line taken in their own exit interviews after one of the more forgettable years I can remember.

Not all is lost, I still think we can rise again with this list and this coach as long lessons are learned but one things for sure there won't be a player at the Bulldogs that will be effectively sacked prior to trade week in the near future.

Big night out Kruder

Go_Dogs
15-10-2017, 06:58 AM
Come on boys like it or not Stringer won't be playing for the dogs next year its pretty simple, surely no one believes the rhetoric the club has been putting out there?

To your first point, hopefully that's not the case. If it is, Essendon will hold firm until the end of the week and force our hand to accept 2 second round picks which is hardly ideal. This will be an incredibly difficult sell for the club to members and the media.

Agree re the second quoted part. We need to ensure our messaging is better in the future - Bevo got this one wrong.

chef
15-10-2017, 07:02 AM

Agree mate. We've really stufffed this one up royaly. Hopefully Dal can make good out of whatever we end up with.

bornadog
15-10-2017, 07:17 AM
Bevo got this one wrong.

Don't agree. When that interview was held, Bevo knew the media already had information on hand on what Stringer has been up to.

Do you think by Bevo speaking out that would be the sole reason why Stringers trade worth would fall? Clubs know what is going on. I knew what was going on from the start of the year from someone I know who was told by someone else and wasn't just a rumour, it was true.

The gambling, the denials, the refusal to accept help from professionals and Stringers attitude that he thought he would never be traded and do no wrong and many more things he has done to fracture the playing group. Do you think the club hasn't tried to resolve these issues. Other than Bevo's interview with Robbo, the rest of the rhetoric has come from media buffoons who think they know it all and are ready to put the club down. The club has stuck to it's guns and said a top ten pick is what we want, and we need to stick to that.

Unless Stringer can change his behaviour then we don't want him at the club, but we won't give him up for nothing.

The Doctor
15-10-2017, 07:35 AM
The club has stuck to it's guns and said a top ten pick is what we want, and we need to stick to that.

Unless Stringer can change his behaviour then we don't want him at the club, but we won't give him up for nothing.

We fail if we let him go cheap, ie 2 second rounders.

Must stick to the guns and see this out no matter what muck gets thrown around.

Go_Dogs
15-10-2017, 07:41 AM
Don't agree. When that interview was held, Bevo knew the media already had information on hand on what Stringer has been up to.

Do you think by Bevo speaking out that would be the sole reason why Stringers trade worth would fall? Clubs know what is going on. I knew what was going on from the start of the year from someone I know who was told by someone else and wasn't just a rumour, it was true.

The gambling, the denials, the refusal to accept help from professionals and Stringers attitude that he thought he would never be traded and do no wrong and many more things he has done to fracture the playing group. Do you think the club hasn't tried to resolve these issues. Other than Bevo's interview with Robbo, the rest of the rhetoric has come from media buffoons who think they know it all and are ready to put the club down. The club has stuck to it's guns and said a top ten pick is what we want, and we need to stick to that.

Agree that clubs knew what was going on.

We may never know the exact nature of the conversations at the exit interview and what discussions the club had with Jake's management, but I feel we could've used better language and messaging both through our internal process and the media. If this had been managed better we wouldn't be in a position where all and sundry don't believe our "it's not irretrievable" stance. Maybe the media narrative is wearing me down...

ledge
15-10-2017, 08:49 AM
Agree that clubs knew what was going on.

We may never know the exact nature of the conversations at the exit interview and what discussions the club had with Jake's management, but I feel we could've used better language and messaging both through our internal process and the media. If this had been managed better we wouldn't be in a position where all and sundry don't believe our "it's not irretrievable" stance. Maybe the media narrative is wearing me down...

I think a lot of the blame for stringers position is his managers own fault, players "manager" what was he doing during all this time ? He knew about the problems, even his ex eluded to him not helping and giving him money to gamble even more.
Where was this player manager when he wasn't turning up to appointments ?
What was he doing to help Jake or stop him going off the rails?
Seems puzzling to me that his manager is upset with the club when in affect he is as much to blame as any one for not doing his job and managing his player and just letting him run wild.

1eyedog
15-10-2017, 08:56 AM
Agree mate. We've really stufffed this one up royaly. Hopefully Dal can make good out of whatever we end up with.

The only way we can get out of this alive is maintain our dignity and forced the decision making process on Jake. If we don't get what we're after, Jake makes a decision. Just like we've said all along, he's a Bulldog for 2018. If Jake doesn't like that Jake doesn't play. Suck it up Jake karma for some bad decisions. We may be the first club which sticks to their guns and set the precedent for club come first vs preferred destination.

Remi Moses
15-10-2017, 09:37 AM
The club can't be blamed for Jake's off field behaviour . I think some here are worn down by the incessant media coverage .
Not the first player to have a very harsh exit interview, and stories of temper tantrums after it have been denied .
I think once your teammates are saying you need to get fully committed draws some weight for me . Players never criticise their teammates. I think footy fans would be shocked by how many players are thrown up for possible trades, and the difference here is it's been made public by you'd assume Connors to Barrett . The commentary and noise around trade time has also increased ten fold . You have Watts now also, and I'm thinking with so much coverage this is going to be common in the next few years .

kruder
15-10-2017, 09:42 AM
Big night out Kruder

Was at a wedding ha. There has been a lot of dancing around the issue thats just where I see it rightly or wrongly.

Remi Moses
15-10-2017, 09:58 AM
I also think Connors has had a role to play here when he paraded Stringer around like some circus clown at that trade radio launch .
Managers running to the media hordes is something we're going to have to come to terms with

Ghost Dog
15-10-2017, 11:34 AM
No doubt there will be a big internal review to learn from this.

boydogs
15-10-2017, 12:14 PM
Agree re the second quoted part. We need to ensure our messaging is better in the future - Bevo got this one wrong.

You want to deceive other clubs as to what they are getting?

How would you feel if it turns out Crozier has a drinking problem but Fremantle didn't tell us?

bulldogtragic
15-10-2017, 12:18 PM
Geelong footy boss today:

Stringer, who is on the outer at the Western Bulldogs after coach Luke Beveridge recently declared a desire to trade him, has been strongly linked to Essendon.

But, the Cats again believe they remain an option for the goalkicker, despite recent revelations by his ex-partner of poor off-field behaviour.

"We'll wait and see how things pan out today," Lloyd said.

The best they can probably offer is 19, 22 & 23 for Stringer & 28.

They can use 28 & a player with GAJ, and we can throw in 23 for Saad to trump Essendon with 25.

Leaving us 9, 19 & 22. Brisbne offered up their compo pick, now 20, for Cameron. Schache (& 4th 2018) at 22 & Crameri maybe?

Synopsis: 28 into 19 (second round upgraded to first round) Brisbane 4th 2018, Schache & Saad for Stringer.

Doc26
15-10-2017, 12:22 PM
Another 'don't shoot the messenger', and is probably not worth posting as I'm unaware of the credentials of this Twitter account other than to say it's been reporting regularly on trade activity with quite a number of followers.

WBD &ESS have agreed on a deal for Jake Stringer this morning. Will #shout when I know the details

#THESHOUTER

Tweet Link (https://twitter.com/theaflshouter/status/919366905860833280)

bulldogtragic
15-10-2017, 12:28 PM
Interesting. Geelong footy boss saying lets see what happens today. That account saying Essendon deal today. Might be a busy day for Jakes future.

ratsmac
15-10-2017, 12:42 PM
Anyone know much about Darcy Lang? He seems to be open to a trade out of Geelong so could he be worth a look at in a steak knives scenario for Stringer and 19?

chef
15-10-2017, 12:47 PM
Anyone know much about Darcy Lang? He seems to be open to a trade out of Geelong so could he be worth a look at in a steak knives scenario for Stringer and 19?

I'd take that. It's looking like a choice between a kick in the nuts or a punch in the nuts atm. Going or Essendon, it really doesn't matter now.

Remi Moses
15-10-2017, 12:57 PM
Not for me . Fringe player

Remi Moses
15-10-2017, 12:58 PM
I'd take that. It's looking like a choice between a kick in the nuts or a punch in the nuts atm. Going or Essendon, it really doesn't matter now.

Club have said he's worth a pick 11 at least . Stick to our guns

chef
15-10-2017, 01:02 PM

We will compromise and cave a bit. We can't risk him not being traded imo, will do a lot more harm to the group and our season next year than accepting a shit deal.

He's not coming back and imo the group don't want him back.

ratsmac
15-10-2017, 01:09 PM

I agree, we need to stick to our guns but pick 11 doesn't exist anymore I'm struggling to see how we are going to land a top 10 pick. It seems that Jake doesn't want to be a bulldog anymore whether we are happy for him to stay or not. We really need to trade Jake and that pains me to say. I'd love him to remain a bulldog but I think this whole trade scenario has driven a wedge between Jake and the club from his point of view.

GVGjr
15-10-2017, 01:14 PM
I like the fact that Geelong still consider themselves in play.

They haven't quite got what we want in terms of currency but if I was hellbent on trading Stringer then I'd nearly prefer him going to Geelong.

GVGjr
15-10-2017, 01:16 PM

He's an OK player but I don't think he gives us as much more than what we already have.

GVGjr
15-10-2017, 01:18 PM
I agree, we need to stick to our guns but pick 11 doesn't exist anymore I'm struggling to see how we are going to land a top 10 pick. It seems that Jake doesn't want to be a bulldog anymore whether we are happy for him to stay or not. We really need to trade Jake and that pains me to say. I'd love him to remain a bulldog but I think this whole trade scenario has driven a wedge between Jake and the club from his point of view.

It's almost out of reach now so the decisions comes down to either accepting a lot less than what we want or keeping him at the club.
Bevo's opinion will be huge I suspect.

Topdog
15-10-2017, 01:18 PM
Shouter is a WUM

GVGjr
15-10-2017, 01:28 PM
Shouter is a WUM

I'll bite?

hujsh
15-10-2017, 01:43 PM
I'll bite?

Shouter (person claiming a deal to be done today) is a Wind Up Merchant

Prince Imperial
15-10-2017, 01:47 PM
Shouter was confidently stating that Motlop was going to the Crows, so I'm not sure I'd place much weight on what he is saying re Stringer or anybody

GVGjr
15-10-2017, 01:47 PM
Shouter (person claiming a deal to be done today) is a Wind Up Merchant

Thanks, I'm not up with all acronyms ;)

ReLoad
15-10-2017, 02:13 PM
All I know for sure is Jake will kick bags of goals against us all the bloody time.

The thought got of him doing what he does best against us with his sh1t together really grabs my goat.

Mofra
15-10-2017, 02:17 PM
We just took Crozier who can play HB.
List spots are tight, no to Lang from me.

G-Mo77
15-10-2017, 02:18 PM
I'm getting to the stage of take what is on the table and move on.

Dry Rot
15-10-2017, 02:21 PM
I have a plan. Would you take the Cats 2018 first rounder and something else for Stringer?

The Cats have two problems: the Suns want $300 repaid for Ablett, and secondly and because of that the Cats are offering the money hungry Stringer $150k less than the Bombers. Stringer like Griffin before him is contracted to us next year.

So would this work?

We trade Stringer to the Cats and pay $150k of his salary in 2018.

The Cats trade us their 2018 first rounder and something else.

Thoughts?

bulldogtragic
15-10-2017, 02:23 PM
I'm getting to the stage of take what is on the table and move on.

I know what you're saying. But If Essendon & Geelong are both after him, we should see if we can get them competitive even if it raises the deal a bit. Especially if we can get trade currency this year (19 & 22 is good currency) or a first rounder next year. All we needed was two teams to chase him. Hopefully we are working them hard.

bulldogtragic
15-10-2017, 02:30 PM
I have a plan. Would you take the Cats 2018 first rounder and something else for Stringer?

The Cats have two problems: the Suns want $300 repaid for Ablett, and secondly and because of that the Cats are offering the money hungry Stringer $150k less than the Bombers. Stringer like Griffin before him is contracted to us next year.

So would this work?

Thoughts?

The money, for sure. But it's a premium so they can have their cake and easy it too.

I'd say 19, 22 & 23 this year for Stringer & 28. (2 second rounders, 5 pick upgrade in second round). For $150,000, I'd be prepared to future trade 2018 in their 1st & 3rd for our 2nd & 4th x2. Now if they finish near the top, and we are mid table, it's not that huge a deal. But enough that they could take it.

Dry Rot
15-10-2017, 02:32 PM
I know what you're saying. But If Essendon & Geelong are both after him, we should see if we can get them competitive even if it raises the deal a bit. Especially if we can get trade currency this year (19 & 22 is good currency) or a first rounder next year. All we needed was two teams to chase him. Hopefully we are working them hard.

But I suspect the Cats cant match the salary the Bombers are offering.

bulldogtragic
15-10-2017, 02:33 PM
But I suspect the Cats cant match the salary the Bombers are offering.

We can help, for the right trade.

Dry Rot
15-10-2017, 02:34 PM
For $150,000, I'd be prepared to future trade 2018 in their 1st & 3rd for our 2nd & 4th x2. Now if they finish near the top, and we are mid table, it's not that huge a deal. But enough that they could take it.

I'd take that too. I wonder if the club has offered $150k?

GVGjr
15-10-2017, 02:36 PM

So would this work?

Thoughts?
I'm not sure the Cats can trade a first rounder next year because I think there is a rule that says you can only trade 2 first rounders in a 4 year period. From memory they've already traded too many first round selections
It might be worth investigating though because I'm not 100% sure

Dry Rot
15-10-2017, 02:38 PM
I'm not sure the Cats can trade a first rounder next year because I think there is a rule that says you can only trade 2 first rounders in a 4 year period. From memory they've already traded too many first round selections

Good point, I dunno.

But if they can, what do you think?

bulldogtragic
15-10-2017, 02:39 PM
I'd take that too. I wonder if the club has offered $150k?

That might be hardest part. He's last year (2018) is reportedly $500,000. They might want half, $250,000. Provided we get a great trade I've no moral objection to money being attached to the trade. But it would want to be a good trade.

GVGjr
15-10-2017, 02:40 PM
Just found this

AFL general counsel Andrew Dillon said the following rules would govern trading of future draft picks:

- Clubs can trade one year in the future only.

- Clubs must make at least two first-round selections in each four-year period. If they don't, they will face restrictions from trading any further first-round draft picks.

- If a club trades a future first-round selection, it may not trade any other future selection from that same draft. But if a club keeps its future first-round selection, it can trade any of its future selections from other rounds.

Does this cancel out Geelong from trading next years first rounder?

bulldogtragic
15-10-2017, 02:40 PM

Yep. But I read somewhere saying AFEL signed off on them trading it again this year.

GVGjr
15-10-2017, 02:43 PM
Good point, I dunno.

But if they can, what do you think?

I just added some additional information. I think it rules them out

We might still be able to do something if they trade Lang and get a good pick.

GVGjr
15-10-2017, 02:45 PM
Yep. But I read somewhere saying AFEL signed off on them trading it again this year.

Thanks, I'll have a look. Given that he just has a one year deal at the moment he will probably want to sign a new 3 year deal with Geelong. A one off incentive payment might be OK.

bulldogtragic
15-10-2017, 02:46 PM
Sam Landersberger did a story on it this year, the take away is:

"EVERY AFL club is free to trade its future first-round pick in this year’s exchange period."

GVGjr
15-10-2017, 02:48 PM
This from late September article in the Geelong advertiser would indicate that they can trade the 2018 pick

GEELONG may have to look at trading a future first-round pick in order to bring Western Bulldogs star Jake Stringer to the club next year, according to former list management guru Chris Pelchen.

The Cats have been strongly linked to the 23-year-old premiership forward and Stringer has indicated Simonds Stadium is his preferred destination for the 2018 season.

Pelchen said given the Cats could currently only offer pick 20, some manoeuvring would need to be done in order to satisfy the Bulldogs at the trade table.

“I would suggest that if the Bulldogs are dealing with Geelong — and I say `if’ because I think there will be multiple suitors — then they would be looking more at a selection in next year’s draft rather than this year,” Pelchen said.

“It’s clear that there is going to be significant discussion around Jake and I can understand why Geelong would have an interest in him because he can play forward and through the midfield, so he provides great versatility.

“The fact that next year’s draft is stronger, I think they (the Bulldogs) will speculate will Geelong finish as high next year, maybe not, so therefore the draft selection becomes higher.

“If I was the Bulldogs I would be pursuing an early selection in next year’s draft and potentially a second-round pick in this year’s draft to go with it. I think that will be about what the market value would be.

“But it will come down to whether the Bulldogs value having a future selection because I think next year’s draft is even stronger than this year’s, particularly at the top end.”

Geelong is expected to be a big player during this year’s trade period and has been linked to several high profile players, including Stringer, Giants forward Devon Smith, out-of-favour Bulldog Stewart Crameri and former Cats star Gary Ablett.

Pelchen said there had been some “unfair criticism” of Geelong’s list following its disappointing exit from the finals, but added that it needed to target forwards in the off-season to take the load off Tom Hawkins inside-50.

“I think what probably let them down this

year, particularly late in the year, was their lack of scoring power,” he said.

“Tom Hawkins struggled for consistency and while he provides a focal point and continues to be a big, powerful athlete, the fact he wasn’t hitting the scoreboard really hurt Geelong and they started to rely on peripheral players to contribute significantly to the score, more so than what would be considered normal at the top end of the ladder.

“So I think they really need to bulk up their forward half.”

Essendon has also been strongly linked to Stringer, who kicked 24 goals from his 16 matches this season.

bulldogtragic
15-10-2017, 02:51 PM
If we can get entrenched with Geelong GCS, hopefully Saad and any other Suns players can get to us a little easier by adjusting the trade balance. Some cash to Geelong might ease that too. Do one nice, large trade.

Grab Schache. Trade period over. More points for next year.

GVGjr
15-10-2017, 02:52 PM
Now that is cleared up, the Cats are a likely top 5 side in 2018. All things being equal that could be pick 14.
Close to being on the money but I suspect the Cats would want something coming back this year perhaps an exchange for our pick 27 for their pick 33. We could probably live with that.

Dry Rot
15-10-2017, 02:53 PM
Now that is cleared up, the Cats are a likely top 5 side in 2018. All things being equal that could be pick 14.
Close to being on the money but I suspect the Cats would want something coming back this year perhaps an exchange for our pick 27 for their pick 33. We could probably live with that.

Even if we pay a chunk of Stringer's salary?

GVGjr
15-10-2017, 02:55 PM

If we pay money then we shouldn't need to even it up this year.

Pick 33 is probably what they have earmarked for Ablett anyway.

bulldogtragic
15-10-2017, 03:04 PM

No. If they want all the good players I'd want:

Dogs: 2017 Picks 19 & 22, 2018 1st
Cats: 2017 Stringer & 27, 2018 4th

They should make the GF if we help them land both Stringer & Ablett.
So say they lose, take the upgrade & 4th out the argument, it's 2017 Pick 19 & 2018 Pick 17. Two picks on the 1st & 2nd round border.
Then it's how much money to get them to agree.

Happy Days
15-10-2017, 03:07 PM
Okay. Purely hypothetically speaking here, and we'd probably get finished by the AFLPA for this, but;

If we don't trade Stringer, he walks out and doesn't play a minute of footy this year, and then goes to Essendon on a contract similar to the one Motlop got from Port, then wouldn't the compensation leave us better off (with a pick in next year's draft) than if we were to trade him this year for 2x ~25?

Can we do this? Is it legal? It doesn't necessarily feel moral, but who *really* cares?

bulldogtragic
15-10-2017, 03:08 PM
Okay. Purely hypothetically speaking here, and we'd probably get finished by the AFLPA for this, but;

If we don't trade Stringer, he walks out and doesn't play a minute of footy this year, and then goes to Essendon on a contract similar to the one Motlop got from Port, then wouldn't the compensation leave us better off (with a pick in next year's draft) than if we were to trade him this year for 2x ~25?

Can we do this? Is it legal? It doesn't necessarily feel moral, but who *really* cares?

He's not a free agent. If he doesn't turn up to work, he doesn't get paid though. I'm happy to salary cap bank that.

GVGjr
15-10-2017, 03:21 PM

Needs to have played a couple years more to qualify for FA status. He would be an out of contract player.

comrade
15-10-2017, 04:55 PM
Regardless of what happens this week, the entire thing has been a masterclass in how not to work the media.

The Essendon media mafia have absolutely gone to town and we've been reduced to playing the villain because we had the 'gall' to explore trade options for a contracted player.

Why hasn't anyone brought up the fact that Essendon have turned this into a complete circus by trading away pick 11 for Smith?

They've convinced Stringer to nominate them, and now have left him in purgatory, hoping that his current team blinks and gets bent over, rather than just offering up a fair and equitable deal that allows both the player and club to move on quickly and quietly.

It is dirty, scummy stuff from Dodoro and Connors, yet we're the bad guys. And this is putting aside all the rubbish we've put up with from Stringer the past 2 years, which also happens to have magically been pushed under the rug.

Where is Stevens and Landsberger?

SonofScray
15-10-2017, 05:14 PM
Regardless of what happens this week, the entire thing has been a masterclass in how not to work the media.

The Essendon media mafia have absolutely gone to town and we've been reduced to playing the villain because we had the 'gall' to explore trade options for a contracted player.

Why hasn't anyone brought up the fact that Essendon have turned this into a complete circus by trading away pick 11 for Smith?

They've convinced Stringer to nominate them, and now have left him in purgatory, hoping that his current team blinks and gets bent over, rather than just offering up a fair and equitable deal that allows both the player and club to move on quickly and quietly.

It is dirty, scummy stuff from Dodoro and Connors, yet we're the bad guys. And this is putting aside all the rubbish we've put up with from Stringer the past 2 years, which also happens to have magically been pushed under the rug.

Where is Stevens and Landsberger?
The loudest voices in the media re: Stringer have all been ex EFC players or known fans. It has been a real scummy campaign from these pricks.

mjp
15-10-2017, 05:14 PM

It's our fault it has gone this way, not Essendon's.

Much like Hawthorn with Mitchell last year, the Bombers HAD to trade pick 11 to get Smith...otherwise they wouldn't have gotten him and there WERE other suitors. With Jake, clearly the financial terms they have offered him have added to his (and his agents) resolve to leave. Again, like the Hawks last year, they simply picked the low hanging fruit and grabbed Smith as soon as they could...in theory, that left them with time to work through the Stringer 'problem'.

Our club is between a rock and a hard place with the media. If the club speaks out about WHY they wanted to consider the trade of Jake, well, that further diminishes his value AND further annoys a player who might still be in the tri-colours next year. If they don't, well - we can already see what happens if they don't...we look weak and indecisive and everything else AND - just like Gold Coast last year, are publicly made out to be the bad guy and 'unwilling to compromise'. I will say though that the persistent comments from outside the club about it being '...impossible for him to go back...' are concerning, although - as I have already said, if any of our players were to come out and comment (which they clearly have been told NOT to do!) saying that they want Jake back and he is a great bloke yadayadayada, well that would just be petrol on the fire.

Remember that a fair deal leaves both parties feeling unsatisfied with the outcome and it just seems that in this case everyone wants to be considered the winner. Truthfully - in all trades - the team who ends up with the best player is the winner...in this case, that is going to be the team that gets Stringer. It just sucks that it most likely wont be us.

comrade
15-10-2017, 05:36 PM
It's our fault it has gone this way, not Essendon's.

Much like Hawthorn with Mitchell last year, the Bombers HAD to trade pick 11 to get Smith...otherwise they wouldn't have gotten him and there WERE other suitors. With Jake, clearly the financial terms they have offered him have added to his (and his agents) resolve to leave. Again, like the Hawks last year, they simply picked the low hanging fruit and grabbed Smith as soon as they could...in theory, that left them with time to work through the Stringer 'problem'.

It wasn't done to give them more time to work on the Stringer problem. If we were offered pick 11 straight up, we would have taken it. They effectively prioritised getting Smith in order to force us to take a significantly lesser deal, banking on the fact that Stringer has been convinced by Essendon and his management to leave the Dogs by any means necessary. Using that pick on Smith has now just drawn out the Stringer deal. Seems like a shitty way to treat a potential recruit, yet we're the bad guys for being un-reasonable.

Then again, it seems pretty obvious that Stringer cares about one thing (himself) so seeing his former club getting bent over probably isn't keeping him up at night.

It's not like Essendon (or Stringer) have been clean skins which just proves we've handled this terribly from a PR perspective,

Topdog
15-10-2017, 05:43 PM
Mjp multiple Bulldogs have already said they'd be happy to have him back