PDA

View Full Version : 2017 AFL Grand Final Thread

Eastdog
23-09-2017, 04:18 PM
We got to enjoy this last year and win it which had to be the greatest moment of our Bulldog supporting years. Hopefully it won't too long until we return to the biggest stage again.

For all discussion for the 2017 AFL Grand Final.

always right
27-09-2017, 08:22 PM
Looks like the old karma bus has hit Mitch McGovern. Surprised his dodgy hamstring wasn't blamed on an Easton Wood king hit.

Hotdog60
27-09-2017, 09:05 PM
What time will the actual bounce take place.
I want to avoid all the pre game crap.

ledge
27-09-2017, 09:21 PM
What time will the actual bounce take place.
I want to avoid all the pre game crap.

Bet you didn't want to last year :-)

Hotdog60
27-09-2017, 11:02 PM
Bet you didn't want to last year :-)

:D I still don't like all the crap before hand but I was watching early last year.

When the AFLW takes off maybe they'll have their final as the curtain raiser.

ledge
27-09-2017, 11:48 PM
:D I still don't like all the crap before hand but I was watching early last year.

When the AFLW takes off maybe they'll have their final as the curtain raiser.

To be honest I didn't see any of it I was on my way to the game, I kept low key all week scared shitless we would lose but once we won I recorded / watched everything I could.

Twodogs
28-09-2017, 01:27 AM
Adelaide by 41 points
First goal Eddie Bett's
Norm big Sauce Jacobs

merantau
29-09-2017, 10:24 AM
Richmond by a point. Jack Riewolt kicks from on 50 at the Punt Road end from the boundary and slots it. Siren sounds.
But my head says Adelaide. They have been the best team all year. Too many goal scorers. I feel the Tigers will be playing catch up football all afternoon and will lose by 18 - 24 points.

Go_Dogs
29-09-2017, 11:43 AM
Crows are the stronger side, home ground advantage can't be underestimated though - the Crows have rarely played the G.

Hopefully it's a high standard game and close throughout.

ledge
29-09-2017, 11:53 AM
If the crows target, stop or tag Martin I'm not sure Richmond will know what to do , they rely on him hugely to break games,if he isn't making a mark who will stand up?

Happy Days
29-09-2017, 12:34 PM
The replay of the Crows prelim is on 7 at the moment, and I just don't see how a team with so many average players in run and carry positions like Richmond have can stop this attack. They just don't miss targets, don't stop, and move the ball with too much precision.

Twodogs
29-09-2017, 12:42 PM
Richmond by a point. Jack Riewolt kicks from on 50 at the Punt Road end from the boundary and slots it. Siren sounds.
But my head says Adelaide. They have been the best team all year. Too many goal scorers. I feel the Tigers will be playing catch up football all afternoon and will lose by 18 - 24 points.

That's what I keep coming back to in the end. Crows have faced all sorts of challenges through the year and just keep coming up roses. Well coached, well drilled, if they keep hitting up target after target like they do I can't see how Richmond can stop them. In the game being played in my mind Richmond are mostly a step behind.

Crows are the stronger side, home ground advantage can't be underestimated though - the Crows have rarely played the G.

Hopefully it's a high standard game and close throughout.

That's the one wild card factor I can't account for. It's not going to be as one sided crowd as it was last week but it might still play a factor.

Rocket Science
29-09-2017, 01:23 PM
Forgive me if I'm late to this, but is Don Pyke a supremely unlikable prick or what?

Anyway, reckon the Crows are too well-drilled to drop this.

Don't care who gets up, I'll be barracking for knee injuries.

boydogs
29-09-2017, 02:09 PM
Richmond by 1
First Goal Lynch
BOG Martin
Crowd 100,036

Twodogs
29-09-2017, 02:14 PM
Forgive me if I'm late to this, but is Don Pyke a supremely unlikable prick or what?

Anyway, reckon the Crows are too well-drilled to drop this.

Don't care who gets up, I'll be barracking for knee injuries.

He is but it's not a popularity contest. He can upset as many people as he likes if he wins a flag. He could push little old ladies over on the street.

hujsh
29-09-2017, 03:21 PM
He is but it's not a popularity contest. He can upset as many people as he likes if he wins a flag. He could push little old ladies over on the street.

Bad move, they push back

https://youtu.be/Ygy7UDADXDg?t=42

Sedat
30-09-2017, 12:25 AM
I genuinely don't care who wins tomorrow. It won't be GWS or Geelong thank christ.

Richmond winning would be a big sucked-in to Pyke and his pathetic whingeing post the loss to us last year. Adelaide winning would be a big sucked-in to Dangerfield, who has played the too cool for school card by being "happy for his mates" but would be absolutely bleeding if they got up tomorrow.

The game itself is intetesting. Richmond are in better form the last 8 weeks and have been extremely miserly in defence, and defence usually wins premierships. They are also running over opposition in the 2nd half of games so must be super fit. If they are within a couple of goals they can win the flag, but I suspect that Adelaide will start fast and be out of sight by half time to complete the most boring finals series in history.

AndrewP6
30-09-2017, 12:45 AM
I am putting aside my parochial Victorian hat tomorrow. I hate Richmond, my cousin barracks for them, I don't want to see them win. Hope Radelaide blow them out of the water early.

Twodogs
30-09-2017, 09:50 AM
Are Port supporters hoping that the Crows will win?

ledge
30-09-2017, 10:46 AM
Watching game day and the top 3 of everything, very enjoyable , Nic Nat is very cool, seems a natural for tv, hope he continues in the media when he retires.

G-Mo77
30-09-2017, 03:08 PM
Killers 》》》》》 any other music act on GF day. That was awesome. Can't wait until May.

merantau
30-09-2017, 03:26 PM
Crowd 102,538. Really want a Tigers win but fear Crows will be too good. Really hope it's a close game with lots of desperation on display.

ledge
30-09-2017, 04:04 PM
I find that crowd number puzzling when during the week an MCG official said the maximum you could get was 100,94, and he emphasised you can't get that with some people not turning up due to personal reasons so what we got last year was close to maximum as you could get.
Seems safety and crowd maximum goes out the door when more profit is possible.

The Underdog
30-09-2017, 04:06 PM
Killers 》》》》》 any other music act on GF day. That was awesome. Can't wait until May.

That may be the lowest bar there’s ever been to clear.

always right
30-09-2017, 04:06 PM
Regardless of the result......The Killers have been the winners today.

Twodogs
30-09-2017, 05:06 PM

They were very good. Sting wasn't bad, but the Killers killed.

ledge
30-09-2017, 05:06 PM
Crows look rattled

azabob
30-09-2017, 05:17 PM
Houli for mine BOG at this stage.

Rocket Science
30-09-2017, 05:23 PM
If Richmond go on to win this it'll just underline what we've pissed away this year.

Hope you enjoyed those celebrations boys. Apparently one is enough.

DOG GOD
30-09-2017, 05:37 PM
Houli for mine BOG at this stage.

The commentators love Rance as usual...Houli should but....

bornadog
30-09-2017, 05:41 PM
Adelaide were ordinary away from home and their 3 games at the G resulted in an easy win at the start of the year against an out of form Hawks, then struggled to beat Carlton by 11 points, and drew against Collingwood.

Richmond have had an easy finals with 3 MCG games.

bulldogsthru&thru
30-09-2017, 06:05 PM
Worst finals series in a long time

Eastdog
30-09-2017, 06:06 PM
I need to get back to October 1, 2016 now. Go Dogs!

ledge
30-09-2017, 06:13 PM
The end score was the close to the average for margins in the finals this year that's how bad the finals have been.

ledge
30-09-2017, 06:16 PM
Must admit the Tigers were a mirror image of us in the way of being a team tight and on a mission, nothing was going to stop them.

G-Mo77
30-09-2017, 06:17 PM
The end score was the close to the average for margins in the finals this year that's how bad the finals have been.

Only from the outside looking in. Richmond supporters will say it's the best ever. Good on them, just an amazing finals series from them.

GVGjr
30-09-2017, 06:21 PM
Well done to the Tigers, they adapted their game early in the year and their small-ball line-up worked well through the season,

G-Mo77
30-09-2017, 06:23 PM
Well done to the Tigers, they adapted their game early in the year and their small-ball line-up worked well through the season,

Small forwards across the country rubbing their hands together now.

The Bulldogs Bite
30-09-2017, 06:28 PM
Adelaide were absolutely crap.

Some of their talls are useless under pressure and their midfield is average after all

Twodogs
30-09-2017, 06:37 PM
When Lever announced he'd given us the old "thanks but no thanks" routine I said to GVR that I thought we'd dodged a bullet.

Geez he was turgid today. He was like a big statue in a Crows jumper.

bornadog
30-09-2017, 06:52 PM

Everything went right for them with no injuries throughout the year. Adelaide were only a draw ahead on wins and as I said above average away from home.

GVGjr
30-09-2017, 06:58 PM
When Lever announced he'd given us the old "thanks but no thanks" routine I said to GVR that I thought we'd dodged a bullet.

Geez he was turgid today. He was like a big statue in a Crows jumper.

Yep, I remember that.

ledge
30-09-2017, 07:13 PM
Adelaide had no answer to the pressure and no function from the wing forward for 3/4.

Sedat
30-09-2017, 07:44 PM
Adelaide were absolutely crap.

Some of their talls are useless under pressure and their midfield is average after all
That was the biggest case of shitting the bed I've seen from a team on GF day for many a year, and it all started with their dud coach Pyke. One-dimensional, stubborn and got completrly schooled by Hardwick today.

Very happy to see him and his team humiliated on the big stage today against a less talented but far more committed.

bornadog
30-09-2017, 08:19 PM
40 more at the G today than last years Grand Final. :D

Remi Moses
30-09-2017, 08:30 PM
Full credit to Hardwick, and their club for holding their nerve when he was under fire .
Peggy O'Neil and Brendan Gale how firm when the world ( including many tiger fans ) wanted him out .
Manic pressure , like the dogs in 16 was paramount and Adelaide were just abysmal.
One of the worst performances from a flag favourite in a long time, and their midfield got obliterated.
How many more tiger players were around the ball from the outset? Richmonds recruiting was excellent last season .

Dry Rot
30-09-2017, 08:38 PM
Dusty wasn't my pick for the Norm Smith.

Houli and Rance ahead of him IMO.

jazzadogs
30-09-2017, 08:40 PM
My votes for the Gary Rohan Medal

3 Josh Jenkins - when his midfield isn't giving him cheapies out the back he offers nothing
2 - Tom Lynch - i like him as a player but soft as butter today
1 - Tex Walker -probably harsh because he kicked a few when needed, but also offered nothing for 80% of the game.

Special mention to Richard Douglas. Only time I saw him touch it was when he was giving free kicks away.

bornadog
30-09-2017, 08:47 PM
Dusty wasn't my pick for the Norm Smith.

Houli and Rance ahead of him IMO.

I thought Prestia was also close, played a great game and Houli close, should have nailed another two goals.

azabob
30-09-2017, 08:59 PM
Great call Remi on Tigers trades. Caddy and Nankervis were great for them during the finals series and Prestia played well today.
3. Houli
2. Edwards
1. Martin

Twodogs
30-09-2017, 09:02 PM
Full credit to Hardwick, and their club for holding their nerve when he was under fire .
Peggy O'Neil and Brendan Gale how firm when the world ( including many tiger fans ) wanted him out .
Manic pressure , like the dogs in 16 was paramount and Adelaide were just abysmal.
One of the worst performances from a flag favourite in a long time, and their midfield got obliterated.
How many more tiger players were around the ball from the outset? Richmonds recruiting was excellent last season .

Yep it's amazing what happens when you've got a decent ruckman isn't it?

Dry Rot
30-09-2017, 09:13 PM
Yep it's amazing what happens when you've got a decent ruckman isn't it?

Nankervis = best career call this season

bulldogsthru&thru
30-09-2017, 09:50 PM
It'll be interesting to see how the tigers go next season. This year they copied a lot from our 2016 effort. The main thing being the manic pressure. That pressure and huge desire to win. But once you climb the mountain you need more than that to do it again. We learnt that the hard way his year. Will Richmond suffer the same fate? Will they be more prepared by learning from our mistakes? It'll be interesting to watch

Rocket Science
30-09-2017, 10:37 PM
Richmond won a flag in 2017.

Hai to every Dogs's player who thought one was enough.

If I'm talking to you, faaaaahrk off.

always right
30-09-2017, 10:58 PM
Actually thought Nankervis was best considering he destroyed a ruckman many were tipping for the medal. Reality is you could throw a blanket over four or five of them. Martin had a huge influence on the game and as always was very team oriented.

westdog54
01-10-2017, 12:12 AM
Actually thought Nankervis was best considering he destroyed a ruckman many were tipping for the medal. Reality is you could throw a blanket over four or five of them. Martin had a huge influence on the game and as always was very team oriented.

2017 Norm Smith Medal voting

13 D.Martin
10 B.Houli
2 A.Rance
2 S.Edwards
2 D.Prestia
1 J.Graham

How the judges voted
Chris Judd: Martin, Houli, Graham
Terry Wallace: Houli, Edwards, Martin
Daisy Pearce: Martin, Houli, Prestia
Mark Maclure: Martin, Rance, Houli
Jake Niall: Martin, Houli, Prestia

TBH I thought it was a lot tighter than the voting reflected, but Dusty and Houli were both absolutely outstanding.

Twodogs
01-10-2017, 12:56 AM
Nankervis = best career call this season

Just about. Still a lot of ruckman change clubs and eker away for years and every now and then one makes a huge difference. A decent ruckman can be the most influential player in your team. I don't get this modern distaste for ruckmen. I get that you don't get a crap one just for the sake of it but you need to have at least a good one if you want to have a great team. And there are a lot of quality ruckmen outside of the AFL system who know how to play the position well enough to come into AFL teams and play well.

In short we need a bloody ruckman.

2017 Norm Smith Medal voting

13 D.Martin
10 B.Houli
2 A.Rance
2 S.Edwards
2 D.Prestia
1 J.Graham

How the judges voted
Chris Judd: Martin, Houli, Graham
Terry Wallace: Houli, Edwards, Martin
Daisy Pearce: Martin, Houli, Prestia
Mark Maclure: Martin, Rance, Houli
Jake Niall: Martin, Houli, Prestia

TBH I thought it was a lot tighter than the voting reflected, but Dusty and Houli were both absolutely outstanding.

Plough as ever is the one man differing.

divvydan
01-10-2017, 01:21 AM
My votes for the Gary Rohan Medal

3 Josh Jenkins - when his midfield isn't giving him cheapies out the back he offers nothing
2 - Tom Lynch - i like him as a player but soft as butter today
1 - Tex Walker -probably harsh because he kicked a few when needed, but also offered nothing for 80% of the game.

Special mention to Richard Douglas. Only time I saw him touch it was when he was giving free kicks away.

Heard someone once say that Jenkins is a small forward in a tall forward's body. Gets most of his goals running into an open goal out the back of play. Can't do that in a grand final.

merantau
01-10-2017, 01:54 AM
It will take a long time for Adelaide to live this one down. Definitely adds to their "MCG - allergy" history of late.

Twodogs
01-10-2017, 01:55 AM
It will take a long time for Adelaide to live this one down. Definitely adds to their "MCG - allergy" history of late.

Except against us obviously.

kruder
01-10-2017, 09:53 AM
Just checking has Adelaide turned up at the MCG yet?

merantau
01-10-2017, 10:00 AM
Except against us obviously.

That's something we have to bury.

Twodogs
01-10-2017, 10:50 AM
Richmond supporters are nothing but scum. They couldn't get into the pubs in Richmond last night so those filthy bastards who somehow live in Footscray but "passionately" follow another club. came back to Footscray and were carrying on outside Sims yelling out and blasting horns and abusing people. Turds. I really hate that they are celebrating a largely undeserved premiership.

*!*!*!*! off back to Richmond. Barkly st belongs to Footscray. We don't celebrate Richmond premierships in Footscray.

Twodogs
01-10-2017, 01:03 PM
How funny is Jack Riewoldt getting up and singing with the Killers still wearing his footy. What a hoon.

azabob
01-10-2017, 02:06 PM
How funny is Jack Riewoldt getting up and singing with the Killers still wearing his footy. What a hoon.

Gee TD. Is that something positive about Richmond?

Twodogs
01-10-2017, 02:10 PM
Gee TD. Is that something positive about Richmond?

I'm going to have a shower. And then I'm gonna brush my tongue with a wire brush and detoll.

Dry Rot
01-10-2017, 04:03 PM
Spare a thought today for poor old Nick Riewoldt.

He rings his cousin: "Hi Jack, Nick here. Can I come over and look at your Premiership Medal? I've never seen one".

ledge
01-10-2017, 04:06 PM
Richmond supporters are nothing but scum. They couldn't get into the pubs in Richmond last night so those filthy bastards who somehow live in Footscray but "passionately" follow another club. came back to Footscray and were carrying on outside Sims yelling out and blasting horns and abusing people. Turds. I really hate that they are celebrating a largely undeserved premiership.

*!*!*!*! off back to Richmond. Barkly st belongs to Footscray. We don't celebrate Richmond premierships in Footscray.

Think of all the money they are spending in Footscray though. Hope they doubled the price of the alcohol.

Sedat
01-10-2017, 04:31 PM

He rings his cousin: "Hi Jack, Nick here. Can I come over and look at your Premiership Medal? I've never seen one".
Nick can always revel in that dive straight after half time of the 2009 PF. Fark him and his dirty club - they had their chances and blew it big time.

Used to hate Jack but his transformation from surly selfish turd burger to loveable selfless rogue in the last couple of years has been complete. Lovrd watching him belt out 'Mr Brightside' alongside Brandon Flowers last night.

Twodogs
01-10-2017, 05:39 PM

;)

Mate. Never mind yesterday I've been thinking a lot about Nick's envy for the last 12 months. Hopefully he vomited a little bit into his mouth during the presentations last year. And now the fact that Brian Lake has 3 premiership medals and Nick has none now makes me smile. Because we have one. I hope the fact that we got one really sticks in his craw.

Nick Rievoldt. Great player but not a premiership player, no reunions for him. Maybe Jack will take him to one of Richmonds so he can get a feel of what it must have been like. Jack seems like a nice bloke.

Think of all the money they are spending in Footscray though. Hope they doubled the price of the alcohol.

That's a point.

bulldogtragic
01-10-2017, 05:44 PM
I was always a bit sour on AFL players who said the don't watch the GF because of ambition/jealousy.

But for the first time yesterday I didn't watch it. But I get it now. It's a bit like getting married last year, divorced a month ago, and then being invited to the ex's wedding and someone else is smiling, happy and overjoyed with the name, premier.

I just couldn't do it.

Twodogs
01-10-2017, 05:49 PM
I was always a bit sour on AFL players who said the don't watch the GF because of ambition/jealousy.

But for the first time yesterday I didn't watch it. But I get it now. It's a bit like getting married last year, divorced a month ago, and then being invited to the ex's wedding and someone else is smiling, happy and overjoyed with the name, premier.

I just couldn't do it.

I love a wedding so I couldn't resist but I see what you mean.

Flamethrower
01-10-2017, 07:23 PM
Saw on 360 during the week that Josh Jenkins had front row tickets for our premiership win in 2016.

He had just as big a contribution to the game yesterday - hope he bought a ticket to watch yesterday too.

Eastdog
01-10-2017, 08:08 PM
I miss being the premiers :(

bulldogsthru&thru
02-10-2017, 02:10 PM
So after the precedent set by the AFL last year, what rules will they implement to curb Richmond's success?

1. Ban don't argues
2. No player who has won both the brownlow and norm smith shall be able to play more than half a game

What else?

bulldogtragic
02-10-2017, 02:12 PM
So after the precedent set by the AFL last year, what rules will they implement to curb Richmond's success?

A ban on small players tackling or running fast. Lock it in.

ledge
02-10-2017, 03:17 PM

1. Ban don't argues
2. No player who has won both the brownlow and norm smith shall be able to play more than half a game

What else?

None it's only when it's us involved.

Twodogs
02-10-2017, 04:09 PM
Dustin Martin has to bounce the ball every time he takes a step like a basketballer. Alex Rance isn't allowed out of the goal square. Jack Rievoldt has to sing a song (crowd requests accepted) as he has a shot at goal.

westdog54
02-10-2017, 09:13 PM
Nick can always revel in that dive straight after half time of the 2009 PF. Fark him and his dirty club - they had their chances and blew it big time.

Used to hate Jack but his transformation from surly selfish turd burger to loveable selfless rogue in the last couple of years has been complete. Lovrd watching him belt out 'Mr Brightside' alongside Brandon Flowers last night.

I quite enjoyed watching it.

If there's anyone with doubts as to Jack's character I'll leave them with this thought: Bob Murphy has appointed him as the replacement CEO of 'Rascal Enterprises' on AFL 360.

If he's good enough for Bob he's good enough for me.

Topdog
02-10-2017, 10:57 PM
I actually wouldnt be too surprised if they crack down on don't argues.

Dry Rot
03-10-2017, 05:04 PM

1. Ban don't argues

What else?

Ban players with tatts

Happy Days
03-10-2017, 06:33 PM
Ban players with tatts

Nah go the other way and force them to play Menedue and Lennon.

Twodogs
04-10-2017, 12:38 AM
Toby Nankervis isn't allowed to jump off the ground.

jeemak
04-10-2017, 01:44 AM
I really struggle with the whole home ground advantage thing for Melbourne teams when it comes to the MCG.

The SCG and GABBA are very similar in shape to the MCG, however, redeveloped grounds in Adelaide, Perth and Geelong - alongside those done on the Gold Coast and Homebush have been designed to a distinctly different shape.

Geelong's ground didn't have the space to go wider to be more related to the MCG, but did the Adelaide Oval and the new Perth stadium had the opportunity to do so during their redevelopments/developments?

Docklands in my view is too small and too easy to congest, if it's sold for real estate value then any new build needs to be at least as long as the MCG but importantly - just as wide and circular.

There's a reason why Sydney understand how to play the G, it's not because they're awesome, it's because their home ground is pretty much shaped like the G is.

Given the AFL is the biggest revenue spinner for each of Perth and Adelaide's grounds, why would they build them so differently to where the finals are concluded, the ground at which you earn the premiership?

My theory is they like the oddity to away teams their home grounds present. For them to piss and moan about how unfair Grand Finals at the MCG are is a bit over the top, when they had the chance to mimic its shape.

*This is pretty much a piss take post. Plus, when the Dogs won the premiership we played against an opposition that showed up, and we still smashed them.

soupman
04-10-2017, 10:37 AM
I'm a believer that the higher side should be given the right to host the final at the ground of their choosing. So Adelaide oval, Kardinia park, Etihad stadium etc would and should all see finals. Richmond for example effectively had two home finals against higher ranked teams this year.

I'm not that strongly opposed to the current system to worry too much, but I think it's something which is dismissed almost completely by nearly everybody aside from interstate supporters, while other issues like the bye are blown up out of proportion.

I mean, clearly the fact that the MCG tenants gain a huge advantage over every other club come finals time and Melbourne based clubs don't have to travel for the biggest game is a much bigger unfairness than a bye that every team receives.

Twodogs
04-10-2017, 10:54 PM
I'm a believer that the higher side should be given the right to host the final at the ground of their choosing. So Adelaide oval, Kardinia park, Etihad stadium etc would and should all see finals. Richmond for example effectively had two home finals against higher ranked teams this year.

I'm not that strongly opposed to the current system to worry too much, but I think it's something which is dismissed almost completely by nearly everybody aside from interstate supporters, while other issues like the bye are blown up out of proportion.

I mean, clearly the fact that the MCG tenants gain a huge advantage over every other club come finals time and Melbourne based clubs don't have to travel for the biggest game is a much bigger unfairness than a bye that every team receives.

It's a good point you make. I always go with the MCG only crowd but a set of circumstances as you lay it out would usually start me thinking that maybe the argument for it to stay are a little too convenient.

jeemak
04-10-2017, 11:33 PM

Well, if the entire fixture is openly promoted as a revenue raising exercise and the finals are as well, why would any integrity or fairness ever come into the conversation?

I agree that issues like the bye are discussed disproportionately however, any scribe with cred and an eye to who butters the bread understands that the big issues like fixtures, integrity and equality are off limits to report or bang on about.