PDA

View Full Version : What to do, with Stew?

bulldogtragic
26-09-2017, 10:01 PM
So if Stringer goes, does Stew stay?

If it's goodbye, what's he worth?

1eyedog
26-09-2017, 10:49 PM
I want him to stay. There must be something we don't know going on behind the scenes. The potential upside outweighs the pots and pans we'll get for him.

The Underdog
27-09-2017, 08:54 AM
I'm pro keeping him. We lack for goal kickers and hard working forwards. If Dickson's year last year was a sign of things to come rather than an aberration then he provides competition for that spot. Our leading goal kickers last year had 24 goals. One of them is on his way out, one kicked a bulk in 2 games in Queensland. I'm pretty sure if Stew is fit he could provide 25-30 goals without too much trouble. I guess the concern would be his fitness.

GVGjr
27-09-2017, 08:59 AM
There has to be a very good reason why we haven't gone out of our way to retain him but unless there is a sudden change of heart it looks like he is gone. I would have preferred to have kept him but I will back the club in this instance because there must be a bit more to it.

bulldogtragic
27-09-2017, 10:12 AM
There has to be a very good reason why we haven't gone out of our way to retain him but unless there is a sudden change of heart it looks like he is gone. I would have preferred to have kept him but I will back the club in this instance because there must be a bit more to it.

In light of this, what would we expect at the trade table?

GVGjr
27-09-2017, 10:24 AM
In light of this, what would we expect at the trade table?

We won't get much. Essendon have made it clear that they won't bundle Crameri with Stringer.
I suspect it could be something similar to the Koby Stevens trade.

bulldogtragic
27-09-2017, 10:26 AM
We won't get much. Essendon have made it clear that they won't bundle Crameri with Stringer.
I suspect it could be something similar to the Koby Stevens trade.

A negative trade (at least in draft points). Ouch. Worth less than nothing.

I think I'd take points next year via a futures trade. Maybe a third rounder or swap of 3rd for 4th.

GVGjr
27-09-2017, 10:32 AM
A negative trade (at least in draft points). Ouch. Worth less than nothing.

I think I'd take points next year via a futures trade. Maybe a third rounder or swap of 3rd for 4th.

At best a 3rd or more likely a 4th round offer.

bulldogtragic
27-09-2017, 10:36 AM
At best a 3rd or more likely a 4th round offer.

I wonder if we'd get more via a futures trade. If we can pick up a late 3rd rounder next year, that gives us about 300 points towards West & Khamis. If we are playing the longer game, that to me seems the best path.

Mofra
27-09-2017, 10:53 AM
Worth more to us than what we'd get at the trade table. We need goalkickers and he led our goalkicking in his first year with us.

GVGjr
27-09-2017, 10:56 AM
Worth more to us than what we'd get at the trade table. We need goalkickers and he led our goalkicking in his first year with us.

Do you think we will make him an offer?

I think he could kick 30 goals for us and we need a player or two to do that.

ratsmac
27-09-2017, 10:58 AM

Yeah I'm in the same camp as you Mofra

ratsmac
27-09-2017, 10:59 AM

I wonder if we have made an offer and he has knocked it back because its not good enough

GVGjr
27-09-2017, 11:09 AM
I wonder if we have made an offer and he has knocked it back because its not good enough

Going on the reports he indicated we haven't made an offer. Had we made an offer I think we would have reported it putting the onus back on Crameri.

I suspect we haven't made an offer and there must be a reason why. Forward lines are getting smaller using Richmond as an example and Crameri could have easily been that 2nd or 3rd tall forward but we don't appear to be interested.

Go_Dogs
27-09-2017, 11:27 AM
We will either sign him once other things become clear or he'll leave as a delisted free agent.

I assume our hold up is based on concerns regarding his medical and perhaps application to his rehab - this isn't based on anything than drawing a conclusion about what's changed over the past 6 months.

The Underdog
27-09-2017, 12:54 PM

He kicked at least 30 goals a season from 2011 up until the suspension.He's also marginally younger than Dickson.

The Bulldogs Bite
27-09-2017, 01:17 PM
Assuming we let both Stringer and Crameri go, what is our plan of attack - how do we suspect we'll kick winning scores?

Our forward line is a shambles as it is and trading away 2 of our better natural forwards could make for comical viewing next year.

GVGjr
27-09-2017, 01:20 PM
Assuming we let both Stringer and Crameri go, what is our plan of attack - how do we suspect we'll kick winning scores?

Our forward line is a shambles as it is and trading away 2 of our better natural forwards could make for comical viewing next year.

Stringer, Crameri and there has to be some doubts on Dickson
We have to go small much like Richmond has and try and spread the goals. If both Crameri and Stringer go then we might have to trade to fill the gap.

The Bulldogs Bite
27-09-2017, 01:22 PM
Stringer, Crameri and there has to be some doubts on Dickson
We have to go small much like Richmond has and try and spread the goals. If both Crameri and Stringer go then we might have to trade to fill the gap.

Agreed - certainly some grave concerns around Dickson.

We have no natural crumbers on our list besides Stringer, so if we want to implement a Richmond-esque forward line we're essentially going to have to trade and draft in a new forward half!

Will be interesting to see what we do. The only 'locks' for a forward half role would be Boyd, Dale (likely to play quite a bit on the wing though) and maybe Dahl if he plays there. It doesn't make for great reading.

1eyedog
27-09-2017, 01:31 PM

We have no natural crumbers on our list besides Stringer, so if we want to implement a Richmond-esque forward line we're essentially going to have to trade and draft in a new forward half!

Will be interesting to see what we do. The only 'locks' for a forward half role would be Boyd, Dale (likely to play quite a bit on the wing though) and maybe Dahl if he plays there. It doesn't make for great reading.

I think Picken and Hunter will have to play there.

The Bulldogs Bite
27-09-2017, 01:54 PM

You're probably right, but in 2016 having Hunter on the wing and using his endurance to advantage was vital to our success. He isn't damaging enough as a midfielder, but we're robbing Peter to pay Paul if we move Hunter and Dahl to exclusive forward roles.

Our midfield is pretty light on as it is IMO.

Picken isn't a walk up start to our best 22 next year either IMO.

Rocket Science
27-09-2017, 01:56 PM
Have we ever had a settled, recognisably structured attack? Effort, graft and a sprinkle of arsey luck's been our approach for bloody ever.

Some days I fantasise about Roughie winning a tap to Macrae with a quick give to the Bont who to puts it down the throat of Tom Boyd leading out of the square. Boydy even kicks straight too.

I can dream, right?

Back to reality, wonder if we'll ice the same forward lineup in consecutive games next year.

The Underdog
27-09-2017, 01:56 PM

Hunter's hard running up the ground is too important to send him forward plus he's generally a shit kick at goal.

G-Mo77
27-09-2017, 01:57 PM
Stringer stays he goes, Stringer goes he goes.

Axe Man
27-09-2017, 01:58 PM

It's the first time I can remember having quite a few tall forward options and potentially being light on for mediums and smalls. It really shouldn't be that hard to find a small forward, most seem to be late or rookie picks yet we only really have Dahlhaus on the list and he plays the majority in the midfield.

Axe Man
27-09-2017, 02:00 PM
Hunter's hard running up the ground is too important to send him forward plus he's generally a shit kick at goal.

Kicked 18.9 this year, thought his goal kicking improved massively.

Mantis
27-09-2017, 04:03 PM

As opposed to his field kicking?

The amount of times he raised his hand to apologise to a team-mate for missing the target was limitless.

ledge
27-09-2017, 04:08 PM
As opposed to his field kicking?

The amount of times he raised his hand to apologise to a team-mate for missing the target was limitless.

I won't forget the pick up and pass to Dickson in the grand final though.

jeemak
27-09-2017, 04:53 PM
Hunter's most frustrating kicking trait is his snap around the corner in general play. I thought some of his set shots were pretty good.

Crameri may have been told the only offer he'd likely receive is a one year deal, without it being formally offered. Bevo suggested we are in talks with his management quite some time ago.

ledge
27-09-2017, 05:15 PM
Hunter's most frustrating kicking trait is his snap around the corner in general play. I thought some of his set shots were pretty good.

Crameri may have been told the only offer he'd likely receive is a one year deal, without it being formally offered. Bevo suggested we are in talks with his management quite some time ago.

1 year deal Is reasonable if he thinks he deserved more then just show it next year and then you will get another year.
Two years out is a long time and he got paid well he shouldn't complain if we did put a one year deal up.
If Crameri could do what he did 3 years ago he would be of great value to us.

The bulldog tragician
27-09-2017, 09:33 PM
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if the suspended players were paid during their time out? If so, this means we paid Stewie for two years of virtually no games. Really disappointing as I highly rate what he brought to us at his best.

bulldogtragic
27-09-2017, 09:35 PM
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if the suspended players were paid during their time out? If so, this means we paid Stewie for two years of virtually no games. Really disappointing as I highly rate what he brought to us at his best.

In his suspension year Essendon had to pay all or the majority of his salary. So we were able to salary cap bank or otherwise use that amount.

ledge
27-09-2017, 09:50 PM
Yep Essendon had to pay all the suspended players wages at other clubs I believe.

Sedat
28-09-2017, 12:55 AM

Different type but Crozier would be a decent replacement up forward for Crameri if we go down that path - I'm sure some of the Ross Lyon maniacal defensive pressure has rubbed off on him. Roughly exchanging Crameri for Crozier and Campbell for Stefan Martin automatically makes our list better IMO.

Twodogs
28-09-2017, 11:23 AM

Cloke said last week he is going to play on. He might provide some value up forward providing no one breaks his ribs from behind in another courageous act.

bulldogtragic
19-10-2017, 03:13 PM
Sorry Stew. We need 6 spots.

Out: Bob, Boyd, Hamilton, Stringer, Honey and an uncontracted player to be 6th (as Campbell didn't find a new home)

G-Mo77
19-10-2017, 03:17 PM
Yeah his future was stamped with that last trade. Gone

Doc26
19-10-2017, 03:19 PM

Out: Bob, Boyd, Hamilton, Stringer, Honey and an uncontracted player to be 6th (as Campbell didn't find a new home)

Good point.

Mathematically not possible to retain him unless by an off chance he's still there in a rookie draft (unlikely).

bulldogtragic
19-10-2017, 03:19 PM
Yeah his future was stamped with that last trade. Gone

And for nothing now. A very expensive two good seasons.

ledge
19-10-2017, 03:51 PM
He will come cheap if we decide to keep him, good get for the wage I believe he could still be a very good player.

bulldogtragic
19-10-2017, 04:12 PM
He will come cheap if we decide to keep him, good get for the wage I believe he could still be a very good player.

We need to delist him, it’s not a choice. 6 will come in, we have 5 out and only Stew the only contracted.

kruder
19-10-2017, 04:53 PM

Could we get Cloke to retire?

kruder
19-10-2017, 04:53 PM
Could we get Cloke to retire? I'm really keen for Stew to play on

G-Mo77
19-10-2017, 04:56 PM

I think we can delist him if we want. Obviously would have to pay his salary if we did that.

Crameri is gone, not upset about it either.

bulldogtragic
19-10-2017, 06:45 PM
If Stew nominated for the ND, we could use pick 82. He won't last to 82 I'd guess.
If Stew nominated for the RD, we could use pick 9. That's touch and go, but I wouldn't think he'd last as a rookie proposition.
If Stew went to the AFEL and asked for special dispensation because of the WADA stuff, maybe they do something to help him and us?....

bulldogtragic
19-10-2017, 06:47 PM

I hope not. The two years to Redders is an interesting thing. We could've left both uncontracted and picked one, Redders or Crameri.

kruder
19-10-2017, 06:52 PM
I hope not. The two years to Redders is an interesting thing. We could've left both uncontracted and picked one, Redders or Crameri.

Cloke has one year left I just don't see his role next year? Surely there is more upside with Redpath and Crameri.

bulldogtragic
19-10-2017, 06:59 PM
Cloke has one year left I just don't see his role next year? Surely there is more upside with Redpath and Crameri.

Thing is, unfortunately, two have legal binding contracts and the other doesn't. The club must have thought about list spots when Redders manager was talking contracts, and foresaw this might happen and that they're happy with it/happy to lose him for nothing.

I'm curious as to why. He was a big signing, cost a lot to get here and is talented.

lemmon
19-10-2017, 07:05 PM
There's probably no room for him but seriously, who kicks the goals next year?

We're really light on for natural goal kickers

bulldogtragic
19-10-2017, 07:11 PM
There's probably no room for him but seriously, who kicks the goals next year?

We're really light on for natural goal kickers

I would've prefered Campbell to find a new home for the spot. But that's not reality. Crameri & Honey are to a new home, or career.

The Bulldogs Bite
19-10-2017, 07:26 PM
Would be a pretty big call from grace if Crameri isn’t on a senior list.

Personally would have preferred we kept him in place of Roarke Smith or Campbell

GVGjr
19-10-2017, 07:54 PM

Personally would have preferred we kept him in place of Roarke Smith or Campbell

Same here. If his head is switched on he could be a good player for us.

AndrewP6
19-10-2017, 10:33 PM
Same here. If his head is switched on he could be a good player for us.

Me three.

ratsmac
19-10-2017, 10:40 PM
Me four

ratsmac
19-10-2017, 10:41 PM
As long as his body is good he is worth re signing.

bulldogtragic
19-10-2017, 10:54 PM
As long as his body is good he is worth re signing.

Then we still have to delist him, and pick him up with pick 82. We don't have a spot available anymore. Unless a contracted player quits.

Pickenitup
19-10-2017, 11:10 PM
If we upgrade Roarke and delisting honeychurch crameri should be offered a contract

bulldogtragic
19-10-2017, 11:15 PM
If we upgrade Roarke and delisting honeychurch crameri should be offered a contract

In: 3 picks/players at the draft (minimum), Trengove, Crozier, Schache

6 players in - so we need six players out

Out: 1. Bob 2. Boyd 3. Hamilton 4. Stringer 5. Honeychurch 6. *the only uncontracted player is Crameri

- Either a player quits or Stew is delisted
- If he nominates for the national draft we can draft him with pick 82
- If he nominees for the rookie draft we can draft him with 9

We can't offer him a contract. There's no spot available as it stands today, or tomorrow unless another player quits their contract.

Dry Rot
20-10-2017, 01:23 AM

Bombers will get him for the LOLs

Dry Rot
20-10-2017, 01:25 AM
The irony of the way the Stringer dealings were handled by the Bombers and Stringer's manager is that Stringer has screwed his good mate Crameri's chances on being on a list.

jazzadogs
20-10-2017, 01:55 AM
I'd be surprised if he doesn't get picked up as a delisted free agent by somebody.

If not, then I would be very happy for us to take him at 82 in the ND if available and re-rookie Roarke. Lots of moving parts there though.

Bulldog4life
20-10-2017, 09:57 AM
I would've prefered Campbell to find a new home for the spot. But that's not reality. Crameri & Honey are to a new home, or career.

One plus for Tom is that his last 2 games in the seniors were 2 of the best games he had played with us. Without looking at the stats I think he was 30 plus for hit outs both games. If he can stay injury free I can see him challenging Roughy for our number one ruck spot.

Hotdog60
20-10-2017, 11:27 AM
One plus for Tom is that his last 2 games in the seniors were 2 of the best games he had played with us. Without looking at the stats I think he was 30 plus for hit outs both games. If he can stay injury free I can see him challenging Roughy for our number one ruck spot.

That's the trouble with our main rucks is their durability. I see Campbell as the main ruck and Roughy a jack of all trades type.
I can see Bevo fazing Tom out as he doesn't have enough strings to his bow.

ratsmac
20-10-2017, 08:32 PM
In all honesty I would rather re draft Crameri than Rourke Smith. Both are injury worries but Crameri has runs on the board. When he is fit we know how good he can be. With Smith we only hope he will be any good.

AndrewP6
20-10-2017, 11:03 PM
In all honesty I would rather re draft Crameri than Rourke Smith. Both are injury worries but Crameri has runs on the board. When he is fit we know how good he can be. With Smith we only hope he will be any good.

Same here.

Twodogs
20-10-2017, 11:29 PM
In: 3 picks/players at the draft (minimum), Trengove, Crozier, Schache

6 players in - so we need six players out

Out: 1. Bob 2. Boyd 3. Hamilton 4. Stringer 5. Honeychurch 6. *the only uncontracted player is Crameri

- Either a player quits or Stew is delisted
- If he nominates for the national draft we can draft him with pick 82
- If he nominees for the rookie draft we can draft him with 9

We can't offer him a contract. There's no spot available as it stands today, or tomorrow unless another player quits their contract.

We could not offer Roarke Smith a spot and keep Crameri

The irony of the way the Stringer dealings were handled by the Bombers and Stringer's manager is that Stringer has screwed his good mate Crameri's chances on being on a list.

It's just business.

GVGjr
20-10-2017, 11:35 PM

Well yes and no. We have to draft or upgrade a player because we have to make 3 changes to the primary list.
We could draft 2 players and upgrade or draft Smith and that would meet the requirements.

If we wanted Crameri though he needs to be delisted and then drafted.

bulldogtragic
20-10-2017, 11:36 PM

It's just business.

Roarke can not be elevated, sure, but we still need Stews former spot to fit in Schache. We can pick him with 82 and then cut Roarke, we can rookie draft him if we wanted. But we will have to delist him and then 17 clubs need to overlook him for free and then 81 picks.

Twodogs
21-10-2017, 05:03 AM
Well yes and no. We have to draft or upgrade a player because we have to make 3 changes to the primary list.
We could draft 2 players and upgrade Smith and that would meet the requirements.

If we wanted Crameri though he needs to be delisted and then drafted.

Ah yes I wondering who would spot my mistake.

So we would have to delist and draft him with our last pick. I was thinking maybe we could do that with Smith on the basis Smoth is less likely to be drafted by another club. Oh well it was a good idea except that it wouldn't have worked.

Could we apply to the AFL for a special contingency for Stew on the basis that he hasn't played for two years?

jazzadogs
21-10-2017, 06:35 AM
If contracts were not part of the equation, I would be delisting Cloke, Campbell or Redpath before Crameri.

GVGjr
21-10-2017, 06:37 AM
If contracts were not part of the equation, I would be delisting Cloke, Campbell or Redpath before Crameri.

If Crameri is switched on I would agree.

bulldogtragic
21-10-2017, 10:46 AM

We could ask the AFEL for special consideration to place him on the rookie list directly. They granted that to Ramanaskus/Essendon, and I think they offered that to Roughead/Hawthon who knocked it back. So if we want him, we can place an argument before the AFEL about Essendons drug program and how he was a victim of it which has led to two years out, injuries, surgeries, chance of playing in a premiership etc. And it's just 2 or 3 seasons. And brining up Stew's story and Essendon saga is bad for the AFEL brand, but them allowing Stew/us the special consideration request makes them look compassionate with good PR.

This is the only direct way. If the club doesn't want to go into bat for him and propose this special consideration, then to me it signals the club doesn't want him, even as a rookie.

GVGjr
21-10-2017, 10:51 AM
BT, Great suggestion.

boydogs
21-10-2017, 04:31 PM
We could ask the AFEL for special consideration to place him on the rookie list directly. They granted that to Ramanaskus/Essendon, and I think they offered that to Roughead/Hawthon who knocked it back. So if we want him, we can place an argument before the AFEL about Essendons drug program and how he was a victim of it which has led to two years out, injuries, surgeries, chance of playing in a premiership etc. And it's just 2 or 3 seasons. And brining up Stew's story and Essendon saga is bad for the AFEL brand, but them allowing Stew/us the special consideration request makes them look compassionate with good PR.

This is the only direct way. If the club doesn't want to go into bat for him and propose this special consideration, then to me it signals the club doesn't want him, even as a rookie.

I think we will see Honeychurch and Crameri snapped up as DFA's, which puts a downer on our trade period as we weren't able to get anything back for either of them

bulldogtragic
21-10-2017, 04:50 PM
I think we will see Honeychurch and Crameri snapped up as DFA's, which puts a downer on our trade period as we weren't able to get anything back for either of them

The drop in player values from say 5 years ago, to last year to now hs been rapid drop. I wonder if teams will try to make sure they can pick up a DFA from here on out.

bornadog
09-11-2017, 11:36 AM
Stewart Crameri's best hope to get on an AFL list is the rookie draft (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/stewart-crameris-best-hope-to-get-on-an-afl-list-is-the-rookie-draft-20171108-gzhois.html)

With the first delisted free agency period now closed, Crameri is clinging to the hope a club will take a punt on him at the rookie draft, with no club expected to take him in the final two delisted free agency periods.

Crameri played just two games in 2017 after missing the Western Bulldogs 2016 premiership year due to suspension as a result of being at Essendon during the club's ill-fated supplements program in 2012.

Although he required hip surgery he believes he is in good shape to make a return to AFL football given he is just 29 and he played at least 16 games a season until the 2016 suspension.

Crameri began his career at the Bombers after they selected him in the 2010 rookie draft and he played 57 games with the club.
He then crossed from Essendon to the Western Bulldogs to play under then Bulldogs coach Brendan McCartney in 2014.

He had kicked at least 30 goals a season in each year between 2011-2015 before being suspended as a tall, quick, left-footed forward.

McCartney is now at Melbourne alongside senior coach Simon Goodwin, who was also coaching at Essendon when Crameri played with the Bombers.

The Adelaide Connection
09-11-2017, 12:41 PM
Stewart Crameri's best hope to get on an AFL list is the rookie draft (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/stewart-crameris-best-hope-to-get-on-an-afl-list-is-the-rookie-draft-20171108-gzhois.html)

With the first delisted free agency period now closed, Crameri is clinging to the hope a club will take a punt on him at the rookie draft, with no club expected to take him in the final two delisted free agency periods.

Crameri played just two games in 2017 after missing the Western Bulldogs 2016 premiership year due to suspension as a result of being at Essendon during the club's ill-fated supplements program in 2012.

Although he required hip surgery he believes he is in good shape to make a return to AFL football given he is just 29 and he played at least 16 games a season until the 2016 suspension.

Crameri began his career at the Bombers after they selected him in the 2010 rookie draft and he played 57 games with the club.
He then crossed from Essendon to the Western Bulldogs to play under then Bulldogs coach Brendan McCartney in 2014.

He had kicked at least 30 goals a season in each year between 2011-2015 before being suspended as a tall, quick, left-footed forward.

McCartney is now at Melbourne alongside senior coach Simon Goodwin, who was also coaching at Essendon when Crameri played with the Bombers.

I was holding out hope that maybe we had offered a rookie spot and he was going to test the DFA waters first. I am little staggered that we wouldn’t see him worthy of a rookie spot, especially when he has been bullish about his body being ready to go.

Do we know something about his body?
Is there something more to it? Behavioural? Caught up with the antics of he who should not be named?

I guess we will never know, but it will be pretty disappointing if he is to get a rookie spot, get upgraded at some point and carve it up (if our only concern was whether he could get back to the level required).

bornadog
09-11-2017, 01:15 PM
I was holding out hope that maybe we had offered a rookie spot and he was going to test the DFA waters first. I am little staggered that we wouldn’t see him worthy of a rookie spot, especially when he has been bullish about his body being ready to go.

Is there something more to it? Behavioural? Caught up with the antics of he who should not be named?

I guess we will never know, but it will be pretty disappointing if he is to get a rookie spot, get upgraded at some point and carve it up (if our only concern was whether he could get back to the level required).

Rumour only: Enough said

Scraggers
09-11-2017, 01:24 PM

Voldemort ?

Murphy'sLore
09-11-2017, 01:24 PM
They were supposed to be pretty good mates if I recall correctly. Lucius Malfoy to You-Know-Who perhaps?

Twodogs
09-11-2017, 02:07 PM

Indeed. We have heard it has been rumoured.

The Adelaide Connection
09-11-2017, 02:24 PM

Indeed. We have heard it has been rumoured.

Oh really? I must have missed that. Our seemingly blizzardlike cooling on him would make more sense if true.
If true, it would also provide an excellent case study in what happens when a players agent doesn't go mouthing off and allows an amicable parting of ways on the back of an issue. It might just mean he is able to scrap out a rookie spot.

The Pedge
12-11-2017, 11:21 PM
Cramers likes a beer, which is well known in AFL circles, and isn't the type of player that fully commits. i.e. Turns up, does the 9-5 but apparently didn't have enough of the hunger Bevo that wants from his players. Was told this in his exit interview and all ended amicably. Won't return to the doggies but is in good shape physically and will be a good pickup for someone you'd think.

bulldogtragic
12-11-2017, 11:25 PM
Cramers likes a beer, which is well known in AFL circles, and isn't the type of player that fully commits. i.e. Turns up, does the 9-5 but apparently didn't have enough of the hunger Bevo that wants from his players. Was told this in his exit interview and all ended amicably. Won't return to the doggies but is in good shape physically and will be a good pickup for someone you'd think.

Makes me wonder why we'd chase him so hard in this profile. Unless BMac has different standards to Bevo.

Twodogs
13-11-2017, 12:53 AM
Makes me wonder why we'd chase him so hard in this profile. Unless BMac has different standards to Bevo.

And we chased him quite hard. Sold him on a future with us payed him big bucks he played two years of good solid football for us and then the drug ban, the hip (?) problems but basically no output at all and then out the door.

I guess at the time it was important to get a goal kicker on the list.

Did Bmac and Stewie's time at Essendon intersect?

1eyedog
13-11-2017, 01:03 PM
And we chased him quite hard. Sold him on a future with us payed him big bucks he played two years of good solid football for us and then the drug ban, the hip (?) problems but basically no output at all and then out the door.

I guess at the time it was important to get a goal kicker on the list.

Did Bmac and Stewie's time at Essendon intersect?

Absolutely

bornadog
17-11-2017, 12:14 PM
Looks like Geelong looking at a rookie spot for Stew

Dry Rot
17-11-2017, 05:08 PM
It says a lot that Crameri is struggling to even get onto a rookie list.

merantau
26-11-2017, 09:47 AM
That year out was a disaster for us. But one wonders what went on with him. The hip? Bad luck or bad prep?

Happy Days
26-11-2017, 12:06 PM
I'm pretty glad that he's gone and we're off of his contract. An extremely undisciplined player.

Also thought it was funny that his hip injury was touted as an excuse for his lack of fitness and his conditioning at the start of the year, but when he needs to find a list spot then his hip injury is no issue at all.

AndrewP6
26-11-2017, 04:13 PM
I'm pretty glad that he's gone and we're off of his contract. An extremely undisciplined player.

Also thought it was funny that his hip injury was touted as an excuse for his lack of fitness and his conditioning at the start of the year, but when he needs to find a list spot then his hip injury is no issue at all.
He had most of the year out and had surgery. I imagine that would have helped his hip troubles.

bornadog
27-11-2017, 06:05 PM
Officially a Rookie at Geelong

bulldogtragic
27-11-2017, 06:12 PM

Huuuuuuge pay cut from his days as a mature player at the Dogs on $400,000+.

All the best to him.

Twodogs
27-11-2017, 06:18 PM

All the best to him.

Still a nice way to earn a crust though.

LostDoggy
27-11-2017, 06:47 PM

All the best to him.

Bad news for the bookies......

KT31
27-11-2017, 06:48 PM

All the best to him.

Not as if rumoured he was part of the issues with the kids at our club.

GVGjr
27-11-2017, 08:17 PM

I hope he makes a go of it. On ability alone he should have had offers from a few clubs but this indicates there are some doubts on his application more than his ability. Collingwood, Essendon and the Suns should have been lining up for him.

The Adelaide Connection
27-11-2017, 10:36 PM
I hope he makes a go of it. On ability alone he should have had offers from a few clubs but this indicates there are some doubts on his application more than his ability. Collingwood, Essendon and the Suns should have been lining up for him.

It may just be that we questioned his ability to get up, but on the surface it definitely sounds like something more to it.

I would sleep much easier at night if Crameri and Stringer didn't end up at clubs that will be around the mark next year. Why couldn't North Melbourne or Carlton take them?

Ozza
28-11-2017, 10:01 AM
It may just be that we questioned his ability to get up, but on the surface it definitely sounds like something more to it.

I would sleep much easier at night if Crameri and Stringer didn't end up at clubs that will be around the mark next year. Why couldn't North Melbourne or Carlton take them?

It doesn't really matter. It only matters how our team goes.
Hawthorn have watched Gary Ablett and Lance Franklin go on to play some of the best footy we've ever seen at other clubs - but neither played/have played in a premiership once they left. Richmond lost Brett Deledio, we lost Ryan Griffen.

The Underdog
28-11-2017, 11:04 AM
Good luck to him. His 7 goals against the Bombers in 2015 in a thrashing will always live with me.

bornadog
28-11-2017, 11:19 AM
Still a nice way to earn a crust though.

$75,000 per annum - not a lot of money for a 29 year old.

bulldogtragic
28-11-2017, 11:22 AM

And he's got to move from his home with his wife, or commute every day also.

Happy Days
28-11-2017, 12:20 PM
He had most of the year out and had surgery. I imagine that would have helped his hip troubles.

His rehab was highly unsatisfactory and is largely the reason he's gone. His preparation and commitment to not-football is probably the poorest among our 2017 list, which was a pretty hotly contested footy.

The Underdog
28-11-2017, 12:23 PM
His rehab was highly unsatisfactory and is largely the reason he's gone. His preparation and commitment to not-football is probably the poorest among our 2017 list, which was a pretty hotly contested footy.

I’m assuming you’re getting this from a reliable source.

Ghost Dog
29-11-2017, 05:28 PM

I'm 42 and I don't earn nearly as much as that!

bornadog
29-11-2017, 05:41 PM
I'm 42 and I don't earn nearly as much as that!

He is an elite athlete

Twodogs
03-12-2017, 04:21 AM

That's his base rate, he gets extra for every senior game he plays. It's up to him and his dedication to football as to whether he earns 75k or much more if he has a big preseason and plays his way into their AFL team. New rules next year as wel. Clubs can promote rookies straight into the senior team without dropping another player off the list. It's much easier to play rookies than it was.

bornadog
03-12-2017, 11:12 AM
New rules next year as wel. Clubs can promote rookies straight into the senior team without dropping another player off the list. It's much easier to play rookies than it was.

When is a rookie not a rookie - next year.:D

I think the AFL needs to scrap the words Rookie

Twodogs
03-12-2017, 12:01 PM
When is a rookie not a rookie - next year.:D

I think the AFL needs to scrap the words Rookie

Give them a couple of years and they might. They just have to catch up with the consequences part of their equation-they aren't real good at seeing them sometimes.

Hotdog60
03-12-2017, 12:13 PM
Maybe Rookie can be replaced with Auxiliary players then age and experience doesn't cloud the title.

Twodogs
03-12-2017, 12:47 PM
Maybe Rookie can be replaced with Auxiliary players then age and experience doesn't cloud the title.

It is a bit of a misnomer isn't it?

bornadog
03-12-2017, 05:04 PM
To me a rookie should be a player that has never played AFL before. A player that was overlooked in the draft, or a mature age recruit playing in a state league but hasn't had the opportunity to play AFL. The recycled players were in the past picked up in the pre-season draft. The AFL has lost the plot with the rookie classification.

Twodogs
03-12-2017, 05:29 PM
To me a rookie should be a player that has never played AFL before. A player that was overlooked in the draft, or a mature age recruit playing in a state league but hasn't had the opportunity to play AFL. The recycled players were in the past picked up in the pre-season draft. The AFL has lost the plot with the rookie classification.

That's what it started out as. The rookie list players had all sorts of limitations about age and background originally. I think it's worked much better since they made it more flexible.

jeemak
03-12-2017, 11:35 PM
Supplementary players?

If Stu plays ten or so games he's probably going to take home the median household income as a single earner, most 29 y.o. wouldn't be doing that, nor would they be getting the best medical, dental, and other health opportunities AFL football provides.

Also, playing AFL football provides networking capability other professions don't. Dickhead or otherwise, there will be plenty of people willing to give Stu a decent paying job after he finishes playing football.