PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the Western Bulldogs:- Josh Schache

Pages : [1] 2 3

GVGjr
10-10-2017, 11:20 AM
I'm not sure if we are interested in Schache or not but at the very least he creates some conflicting views on his value we can discuss.

The Pros:
Highly talented player
Good kick and mark
For a player that has been homesick he has still racked up 27 games in 2 seasons which is a fair bit of development
Great endurance base
Good at the ground level
Can take a spell in the ruck
Good news story if we were to trade for him
Could be a bargain

The Cons:
Will he still be homesick living in Melbourne?
Slow
Lacks aggression
Has a reputation for being lazy and having a poor work rate
Could be a bust

On paper it looks like there is more upside than downside but there is some downside that we would need to consider

So is it worth having a crack at getting him?

1eyedog
10-10-2017, 11:28 AM
SEN reporting this morning we are unlikely to go down this road.

The Bulldogs Bite
10-10-2017, 11:31 AM
I don't know enough about him to form a view of certainty.

Having said that, it depends on a few things:

1. What are we doing with Tom Boyd and what is our forward structure? If we are still planning to play Boyd in the ruck, there's an obvious position for a "full time" key forward. Secondly, do we want to have a forward half with 2 key talls for large portions of the game or do we want to implement what Richmond did by having 1 key tall (Boyd or Roughy - whoever isn't rucking) and the rest made up of medium/smalls who pressure the opposition. Added to that, if we want to employ a small forward line do we have the cattle to do so? Big question marks on Dickson (injury/age) and Clay (form/desire/injury) - Crozier would help but we don't have quick, skillful smalls.

2. Assuming there is a spot for another key forward, where is Schache at mentally? I suspect he would be much more settled in Victoria, but how driven is he?

3. The cost to get him. He is a difficult one to place given some of the off field challenges he has faced. Assuming we get 11 from Essendon for Stringer, I would entertain ways that we could on-trade it to Brisbane for Schache and get something else back.

Ultimately, I think if we want him and convinced him to come to us, we could facilitate a deal. My main sticking points are 1 & 2 - is he a committed footballer who embraces hard work and does he fit into our plans moving forward?

At this stage I am inclined to say yes, but it's not clear cut.

GVGjr
10-10-2017, 11:33 AM
SEN reporting this morning we are unlikely to go down this road.

It might change if we get pick 11 though, I'd prefer we go to the draft with early picks but he's worth considering

1eyedog
10-10-2017, 12:29 PM
It might change if we get pick 11 though, I'd prefer we go to the draft with early picks but he's worth considering

Yeah I'm not sure where the info came from it was a trade wrap re. Schache and they went through all Vic clubs and when it came to us stated us as 'unlikely'.

Rocket Science
10-10-2017, 12:36 PM
His age, demeanour and conduct suggest he's got a bit of maturing to do - as a person as much as a player - in which case environment is critical, and can't imagine Brissy over the last couple of years would've been an easy one to negotiate.

I'm all for more skill. The physical tools are there. Put him somewhere he actually wants to be and surround him strong influences & support and I think you'd have a player.

If he can get near the expectations he's generated, at the current asking price he'd be a bit of a steal.

Mofra
10-10-2017, 12:40 PM
In isolation it's a yes, but does he compliment Boyd or Redpath? The answer seems to be no.
He's not quick and seems best suited to playing deep forward.

Rocket Science
10-10-2017, 12:56 PM
It's a thoroughly valid question, but I wouldn't be letting the fact that Redpath's currently contracted impede our interest in someone of Schache's ilk.

Much admiration for Redders, but on a serious contender he's spare parts.

Scraggers
10-10-2017, 01:03 PM
I think his upside is well worth the risk. He's young ... and his highlight reel from the State carnivals is outstanding

bulldogtragic
10-10-2017, 01:04 PM
For the right deal (as I've said before), it's well worth it for mine.

Bulldog4life
10-10-2017, 01:55 PM
AFL Trade‏ @AFLTrade 18h18 hours ago
More
Carlton and the Western Bulldogs are the two current front runners for Josh Schache. We'll be keeping a close eye on this one. Stay tuned..

whythelongface
10-10-2017, 02:02 PM
Definitely in the pro crowd. A long term prospect but certainly well worth considering at the right price.

G-Mo77
10-10-2017, 02:09 PM
I don't know enough about him to comment on if I want or not. Is he ready now? My issue is we drafted last season for 3 - 5 years on, if we're serious about taking another run at the cup we need players who will help right now. Can he help much in 2018?

GVGjr
10-10-2017, 02:19 PM
I don't know enough about him to comment on if I want or not. Is he ready now? My issue is we drafted last season for 3 - 5 years on, if we're serious about taking another run at the cup we need players who will help right now. Can he help much in 2018?

I think he could but more 2019. As we know the taller boys take a bit more time

bulldogtragic
10-10-2017, 02:27 PM
If it's a two horse race Carlton have two options really. Swap 3 for 12. Not a sure bet. Or work with St Kilda to swap 3 for 7 & 8 as they've alluded to. Then they use pick 7 at the draft, and try to use pick 8 for pick 18 compared to pick 9 for pick 18 with us. But we've got 26 to downgrade to add in to make up for a single spot. So short of them doing pick 3 for pick 12, I think we can fight a good fight on the actual trade side. Then it's convincing him to come to us and not a big club.

EasternWest
10-10-2017, 02:30 PM
In isolation it's a yes, but does he compliment Boyd or Redpath? The answer seems to be no.
He's not quick and seems best suited to playing deep forward.

I like Red a lot, but he's very limited. Schache is a much more attractive package.

I guess that's the reality of footy, and why I don't get upset when players choose what's best for them. Most of us would take an uprgade on them if presented in a heartbeat.

GVGjr
10-10-2017, 02:34 PM
If it's a two horse race Carlton have two options really. Swap 3 for 12. Not a sure bet. Or work with St Kilda to swap 3 for 7 & 8 as they've alluded to. Then they use pick 7 at the draft, and try to use pick 8 for pick 18 compared to pick 9 for pick 18 with us. But we've got 26 to downgrade to add in to make up for a single spot. So short of them doing pick 3 for pick 12, I think we can fight a good fight on the actual trade side. Then it's convincing him to come to us and not a big club.

Spot on, I can't see Carlton using pick 3 and getting other deals done so if we are interested we can out together a good offer.
I'm still leaning towards keeping our picks but Schache is worth looking at some options to see if he is worth it.

bulldogtragic
10-10-2017, 02:41 PM
Spot on, I can't see Carlton using pick 3 and getting other deals done so if we are interested we can out together a good offer.
I'm still leaning towards keeping our picks but Schache is worth looking at some options to see if he is worth it.

If we lose Stringer for 11, but land Schache for say a a couple of downgrades and maybe a future pick, that's a nice recovery from a month ago.

The end ins looks like: 11, 18 (2 X first rounders) 41 (Dalrymple mid draft special), 80 (Roarke) and Schache, Trengove, Crozer. (7)
The end outs look like: Bob, Boyd, Hamilton, Honey, Stringer, Crameri, Campbell/Redders (Carlton into Redders this year, so they get a cheap option to walk away from JS (7)

LostDoggy
10-10-2017, 03:14 PM
I am very much in the positive camp with JS. His first year was very good for a young key forward but, as his homesickness grew, he did go backwards this year. If he gets to a Vic club, his rate of improvement could be dramatic. Given the potential upside I think the risk is well worth it.

bulldogtragic
10-10-2017, 04:05 PM
For the math lovers of a potential trade:

Dogs Give: 9 & 27 (2,172 points)
Brisbne Give: 19 & 43 (1,326 points)

Net gain 846 points - equivalent to pick 22. (Not going to get it done)
Add 3rd 2018 (mid table finish) - 347 points

Total Draft Points - 1,193 - equivalent to pick 13 or if we finish lower perhaps 12.

Their asking price is a first rounder which they get in pick 9, and also overall through the trade. So that's the math.

boydogs
10-10-2017, 09:36 PM

He would help more than a 2017 draftee would

GVGjr
11-10-2017, 08:48 AM
If you look at this years draft Schache would clearly be the best tall so with that in mind the chance to get him for mid range 1st round pick should be tempting to a club like ours. I still think that his 27 senior games has fast tracked his development which should be very appealing.

Richmond should be all over him

I think there are clubs who think they would rather wait for next year to throw their hat in the ring for Tom Lynch. Schache could be a steal

If we were to secure pick 11 for Stringer I think we could offer that pick for Schache and Brisbanes 3rd round pick. That pick would go to Freo for Crozier. So pick 11 would get us Schache and Crozier

LostDoggy
11-10-2017, 10:02 AM
One of the hardest things to do in list management is to assemble a group of very talented young talls that can form the spine of a team that can challenge for an extended period. If we add Schache (20) to English (20), Young (18), Collins (19), Boyd (22) and Cordy (20), we really are giving our coaches and football department every opportunity to build something specisl.

kruder
11-10-2017, 07:46 PM
If you look at this years draft Schache would clearly be the best tall so with that in mind the chance to get him for mid range 1st round pick should be tempting to a club like ours. I still think that his 27 senior games has fast tracked his development which should be very appealing.

I think there are clubs who think they would rather wait for next year to throw their hat in the ring for Tom Lynch. Schache could be a steal

If we were to secure pick 11 for Stringer I think we could offer that pick for Schache and Brisbanes 3rd round pick. That pick would go to Freo for Crozier. So pick 11 would get us Schache and Crozier

I've been watching some vision and with his solid endurance base really think Josh can play the Travis Cloke role higher up the park and use his excellent foot skills to connect inside 50. Throw in the fact we can get him at a discount and a fair wage along with significant upside I think he is well and truly worth the risk.

Throughandthrough
11-10-2017, 07:55 PM
Good moneyball selection. If he's a cheap selection then yes please

Dry Rot
11-10-2017, 08:23 PM

If they are not, that's a big red flag for me.

bulldogtragic
11-10-2017, 08:26 PM

Money. A few clubs have made comment that his salary is an issue. They've obviously paid him a bit to knock Richmond, Carlton & Us back earlier this year. Some clubs don't have the cap or the will. We have both if we are still keen 3 months later.

GVGjr
11-10-2017, 08:36 PM

Not for me

GVGjr
11-10-2017, 09:37 PM
Stevo has buried speculation that Schache will come to us.

chef
11-10-2017, 09:44 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/Stevo7AFL/status/918046144701149184?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fs9e.github.io%2Fiframe%2Ftwitter.min.h tml%23918046144701149184

bulldogtragic
11-10-2017, 09:45 PM
Stevo has buried speculation that Schache will come to us.

Or are we the only chance to get a trade done, and Stevo is hosing down our desire. He said 100/1 chance. That's still a chance! :D

GVGjr
11-10-2017, 09:47 PM
Or are we the only chance to get a trade done, and Stevo is hosing down our desire. He said 100/1 chance. That's still a chance! :D

He's been known to do our bidding.

Dry Rot
11-10-2017, 09:49 PM
Not for me

So his previous coach doesn't want him - that doesn't worry you?

bulldogtragic
11-10-2017, 09:50 PM
He's been known to do our bidding.

We are 100/1 Chance at first rounder and paying full salary of his contract.
We are ??/?? Chance at first & second rounder downgrade and they pay 20% of his contract salary.

GVGjr
11-10-2017, 09:51 PM

Not in the slightest

Rocco Jones
11-10-2017, 10:04 PM

A big part of moneyball is not caring what others think.

GVGjr
11-10-2017, 10:21 PM

Do you know that for a fact or are you putting two and two together and assuming because Richmond aren't currently trading for him it's to do with Leppa warning them away?

MrMahatma
11-10-2017, 10:42 PM
Where's he gonna go then?

Dry Rot
11-10-2017, 10:52 PM
Do you know that for a fact or are you putting two and two together and assuming because Richmond aren't currently trading for him it's to do with Leppa warning them away?

A good guess. :D

I'll be on Trade Radio next...

On a serious note, a good source reckons we're really having a crack.

The Bulldogs Bite
11-10-2017, 11:17 PM
Part of me thinks Stevo is hosing this down.

If we weren’t interested, why even post about it?

Then again - could be overthinking it!

ratsmac
11-10-2017, 11:20 PM

So your telling there's a chance!

GVGjr
11-10-2017, 11:20 PM
Part of me thinks Stevo is hosing this down.

If we weren’t interested, why even post about it?

Then again - could be overthinking it!

He might have been answering questions but I tend to think he says things that work in our favour.

comrade
12-10-2017, 12:12 AM
Huge bust potential, especially for a club that just can't develop forwards over 190cm.

Mofra
12-10-2017, 09:51 AM
SOS wants a lot of the GWS kids he's familiar with - he's batting about 1 from 7 so far.

Topdog
12-10-2017, 10:44 AM
Huge bust potential, especially for a club that just can't develop forwards over 190cm.

High risk, high reward.

Strange comment regarding developing forwards over 190cms. We've never really had any and current environment is completely different to 5 years ago, let alone 15 years ago

bulldogtragic
12-10-2017, 10:45 AM
An article on afl.com.au says, from Crameri, he's prepared to play interstate.

If Brisbane are interested, this helps somewhat.

Ozza
12-10-2017, 11:04 AM
I would be quite concerned about having 2 x 200cm forwards who can't put on pressure. Tempting as it is - Schache is a huge risk and probably not the right fit.

bulldogtragic
12-10-2017, 11:08 AM
Today's math for a potential Schache trade:

Assumption is 11 for Stringer, and pick 27 in play:

9, 11 & 27 for 18, 19 & 41 and Schache (valued at pick 14)

Dogs: 18, 19, 39 & 80 (Roarke) with 41 (Crozier, with Honey to GWS) PLUS Schache, Trengove & Crozier --- Campbell & Crameri trades possible

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
12-10-2017, 11:14 AM
Today's math for a potential Schache trade:

Assumption is 11 for Stringer, and pick 27 in play:

9, 11 & 27 for 18, 19 & 41 and Schache (valued at pick 14)

Dogs: 18, 19, 39 & 80 (Roarke) with 41 (Crozier, with Honey to GWS) PLUS Schache, Trengove & Crozier --- Campbell & Crameri trades possible

I think we need a Scache scenario where we keep pick 9, if one is possible.

bulldogtragic
12-10-2017, 11:21 AM
I think we need a Scache scenario where we keep pick 9, if one is possible.

Just as I did that, pick 11 to GWS. So 9 has to be involved if we want Schache unless Jake finds another new home.

Nuggety Back Pocket
12-10-2017, 02:50 PM
I would be quite concerned about having 2 x 200cm forwards who can't put on pressure. Tempting as it is - Schache is a huge risk and probably not the right fit.

Tom Boyd's two best games since arriving at the Club, were in the PF and GF of 2016. Hasn't really shown enough to be a key forward of note. Schache's career appeal to date has been more as a key forward.

hujsh
12-10-2017, 03:06 PM
Tom Boyd's two best games since arriving at the Club, were in the PF and GF of 2016. Hasn't really shown enough to be a key forward of note. Schache's career appeal to date has been more as a key forward.
So Schache's 27 games and 25 goals in his first two years shows his potential as a key forward but Boyd's 23 games and 24 goals in his first two years doesn't?

GVGjr
12-10-2017, 03:21 PM
So Schache's 27 games and 25 goals in his first two years shows his potential as a key forward but Boyd's 23 games and 24 goals in his first two years doesn't?

Schache has had a great development program so far and like you I don't see Boyd in a negative light. I'm not 100% convinced we need Schache but he's certainly worth considering.

boydogs
12-10-2017, 03:39 PM

Those were Boyd's 2nd and 3rd years

hujsh
12-10-2017, 03:46 PM
Those were Boyd's 2nd and 3rd years
Call me crazy but if he was drafted in 2013 that would make 2014 his first year by my reckoning.
2014 and 15 he had the stats I posted above

boydogs
12-10-2017, 08:48 PM
Call me crazy but if he was drafted in 2013 that would make 2014 his first year buy my reckoning.
2014 and 15 he had the stats I posted above

Sorry misread your post, thought you said 23 & 24 goals in his first two years

kruder
13-10-2017, 09:27 PM
Really interesting that a Pick 2, key position player that has been in the system for 2 years doesn't have clubs jumping all over to take him.

bulldogtragic
13-10-2017, 09:31 PM
Really interesting that a Pick 2, key position player that has been in the system for 2 years doesn't have clubs jumping all over to take him.

One of the clips on the AFEL website a journo said a few clubs are playing it cool, looking to see if they can get him dirt cheap. Hopefully one is us, and we are trying to turn unders for Stringer into unders for Schache for us.

lemmon
14-10-2017, 12:14 PM

Bevo and the club seem to prefer Boyd as a ruck anyway. I wonder whether getting Schache would just make that transition permanent.

bulldogtragic
14-10-2017, 12:19 PM
Bevo and the club seem to prefer Boyd as a ruck anyway. I wonder whether getting Schache would just make that transition permanent.

I'd like to think they can share the duties. Say in total numbers across a 30 minute quarter, Roughy spends 23 minutes in the ruck. Boyd & Schache can take 3.5 minutes each. Or if one is on fire forward, the other can take the ruck time. Or if both are on fire, chuck Trengove in to cover it. It gives us a fair amount of flexibility and gives us two big targets if we can address our kicking inside 50.

Raw Toast
14-10-2017, 01:47 PM
This is an interesting piece by Caroline Wilson that's primarily on a spat between the Tigers and Brisbane over the de-valuing of Schache's currency (she also takes some swings at us over Stringer but best if that is discussed in another thread):

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/the-mystery-of-josh-schaches-slide--and-how-the-brisbane-lions-point-the-finger-at-richmond-20171013-gz0fei.html

bulldogtragic
14-10-2017, 02:02 PM
This is an interesting piece by Caroline Wilson that's primarily on a spat between the Tigers and Brisbane over the de-valuing of Schache's currency (she also takes some swings at us over Stringer but best if that is discussed in another thread):

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/the-mystery-of-josh-schaches-slide--and-how-the-brisbane-lions-point-the-finger-at-richmond-20171013-gz0fei.html

She's right in that we won't get full market, and that Brisbane won't get market value. The best case is to take our unders and use them for unders on Schache. Then we get parity at least with one of the second rounders from Essendon.

Flamethrower
14-10-2017, 02:53 PM
Lots of rumours going around about a meeting between the Tigers and Schache, which has caused Richmond to totally lose interest in Josh due to his emotional instability involving lots of tears when he talked about being away from his family.

For me that is not an issue...I would much rather someone with strong family ties (like the Bontempelli's) than someone from a broken family home.

mjp
14-10-2017, 03:21 PM
For me that is not an issue...I would much rather someone with strong family ties (like the Bontempelli's) than someone from a broken family home.

Interesting. History tends to show that most great leaders/inventors lost a parent or experienced extended estrangement from a parent from early in their childhood. The theory is that the 'comfort' of a strong family background limits true greatness!

Not only did my parents pass on their bad genes to me - they hung around and gave me an innovation limiting positive upbringing.

bulldogtragic
14-10-2017, 04:01 PM
Apparently 'the list manager' (who helped destroy the Richmond list before being sacked) just said clubs fear Schache might be the next Watts (ie. Soft). So that's why interest is low/club looking for a low price.

If the stories of him breaking down in interviews are true, then he's clearly not been happy up there and may even be a bit of mental illness through home sickness. I don't think throwing it around publicly is good for anyone. A club with a good welfare set up should get him at a good price and work with him to achieve his potential. A player who wants to get better and wants to achieve isn't an issue, it's the players who don't give a shit or don't see themselves having a problem.

Rocco Jones
14-10-2017, 06:14 PM
Interesting. History tends to show that most great leaders/inventors lost a parent or experienced extended estrangement from a parent from early in their childhood. The theory is that the 'comfort' of a strong family background limits true greatness!

Not only did my parents pass on their bad genes to me - they hung around and gave me an innovation limiting positive upbringing.

Hahaha.

I think the adversity you mention can go one of both ways. Make people stronger or break them. Normal things make people more likely to sit in the normal band.

Ghost Dog
14-10-2017, 09:20 PM

"Like the high-maintenance Stringer and the Bulldogs; Ambrogio, Chris Fagan and football boss David Noble must cut their losses and move the 20-year-old on."

I think your Richmond bias is showing a bit here Carowhine. If Dusty Martin played at any other club, you would have demanded he hand in his chopsticks and out the door long ago. But the fact is you don't quit so easily on a bloke once he is in your colours, do you.

Go_Dogs
14-10-2017, 09:37 PM

Another article aimed at lowering the value of a key recruit to the journalists club. I'm shocked.

bulldogtragic
14-10-2017, 09:46 PM
Another article aimed at lowering the value of a key recruit to the journalists club. I'm shocked.

Created a lot of bad blood though. Another club could offer a similarly low offer and Brisbane out of spite could take it, if it were close enough overall.

The Bulldogs Bite
15-10-2017, 08:51 PM
I have no basis for this thought, but I wonder if we’re interested in Schache on the premise that we get the right deal from Essendon for Stringer which we can use in then satisfying the Lions?

I find it a little strange that Schache hasn’t nominated a club. Perhaps a reason for not doing so yet is the uncertainty around us and Stringer?

Doc26
15-10-2017, 11:57 PM
I have no basis for this thought, but I wonder if we’re interested in Schache on the premise that we get the right deal from Essendon for Stringer which we can use in then satisfying the Lions?

I find it a little strange that Schache hasn’t nominated a club. Perhaps a reason for not doing so yet is the uncertainty around us and Stringer?

He's no doubt just desperate to get back to Victoria, and possibly not too picky, maximising his options by letting the Lions work the best deal that they can muster.

I would be very surprised if the Lions aren't working on something to ensure he gets to Victoria, and they get the best deal possible for him.

bornadog
16-10-2017, 04:32 AM
He's no doubt just desperate to get back to Victoria, and possibly not too picky, maximising his options by letting the Lions work the best deal that they can muster.

I would be very surprised if the Lions aren't working on something to ensure he gets to Victoria, and they get the best deal possible for him.

If we gain Schache and lose Stringer, we may get a big tick from members.

LostDoggy
16-10-2017, 09:17 AM

If the end result is effectively Schache and Martin for Stringer, Campbell, it'd be even more sellable.

If we end up;

In: Trengrove, Crozier, Schache, Martin, 1st and 2nd round pick
Out: Stringer, Campbell, delistees/trades for upgrades/future picks

I think we can look forward to 2018 with great hope

Jeanette54
16-10-2017, 06:23 PM
Apart from a couple of mentions on this forum I have seen no mention of Tom Campbell being traded. Personally I would be sorry to see him go, I still think he has a useful role to play for us. Is he being on the trade table fact, fiction or just speculation ?

bornadog
16-10-2017, 06:24 PM
Apart from a couple of mentions on this forum I have seen no mention of Tom Campbell being traded. Personally I would be sorry to see him go, I still think he has a useful role to play for us. Is he being on the trade table fact, fiction or just speculation ?

There was an article stating he wants to explore his options

Dry Rot
16-10-2017, 07:08 PM
So what is the minimum the Lions would accept for Schache?

GVGjr
16-10-2017, 07:15 PM

Late first round I suspect

bulldogtragic
16-10-2017, 07:19 PM

Late first rounder and perhaps a fringe/older player if they can find one to their liking and list needs. Nothing too much different to Polec, Yeo & Docherty. Despite different contract status, these are my guide posts for guessing.

If we could get 19 off Geelong for Stringer, perhaps 19 & Crameri/Campbell/Honeychurch. - Or, if they have a kid that they desperately want but who won't slip to 12, then trading 9 & 28 for 12 & 43 (Brisbane score 3 pick upgrade into top 10, and trade into the second round for a big 299 points upgrade on Ballenden).

Happy Days
16-10-2017, 08:02 PM
Late first rounder and perhaps a fringe/older player if they can find one to their liking and list needs. Nothing too much different to Polec, Yeo & Docherty. Despite different contract status, these are my guide posts for guessing.

So nothing too different to All-Australian best and fairest winners?

bornadog
16-10-2017, 08:10 PM

The value put on players is an utter joke. Schache is an unproven 20 year old with a very good junior record, but hasn't shown alot at senior level. To me at best he is a second round pick, but I guess it is a matter of market forces, ie demand and supply and what clubs are prepared to fork out.

Doc26
16-10-2017, 08:17 PM

Even given the doubts on Schache's competitiveness and mental wellbeing, it would position the Club to sell a positive message with the loss of a fan favourite in Jake.

Right now it's the only path that I can see that would get us close to a neutral outcome with the supporter base even though it looks like it would make us quite top heavy.

GVGjr
16-10-2017, 08:20 PM
Even given the doubts on Schache's competitiveness and mental wellbeing, it would position the Club to sell a positive message with the loss of a fan favourite in Jake.

Right now it's the only path that I can see that would get us close to a neutral outcome with the supporter base even though it looks like it would make us quite top heavy.

If Campbell was traded we would look OK and in 12 months time Cloke won't be at the club. It should balance out quickly

Doc26
16-10-2017, 08:32 PM
If Campbell was traded we would look OK and in 12 months time Cloke won't be at the club. It should balance out quickly

Yes that's reasonable thinking. I'm Ok with a play for Schache assuming he holds up post an assessment from J-Mac and Bevo.

Doc26
16-10-2017, 08:36 PM

Yes that's reasonable thinking. I'm Ok with a play for Schache assuming he holds up post an assessment from J-Mac and Bevo.

What else out there would be face saving and credible for the loss of Jake? 2 reasonably deep second rounders is not going to cut it.

Dry Rot
16-10-2017, 08:41 PM
Some Schache info here, and clubs are asking after Jong FWIW

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/trading-and-drafting/fremantle-dockers-want-pick-two-for-lachie-weller-western-bulldogs-discussing-josh-schache-20171016-gz20w2.html

bulldogtragic
16-10-2017, 08:52 PM
I'm happy we are looking at Schache.

Surprised about interest in Jong off an ACL. I wonder what the offer to us would be, and by who?

GVGjr
16-10-2017, 08:54 PM
What else out there would be face saving and credible for the loss of Jake? 2 reasonably deep second rounders is not going to cut it.

I think I mentioned last week that Schache was a possibility given it was a good news story if were were to lose Jake.
On top of that Schache is a great prospect with 27 senior games of AFL football already behind him which is excellent for a young tall.

It could be a more than reasonable outcome if we trade Jake.

bulldogtragic
16-10-2017, 08:55 PM

As in traded for the same price from Brisbane. Brisbane should have their own trade index on first rounders wanting out. Yeo, Polec, Dochety, Aish, Schache off the top of head recently.

bulldogtragic
16-10-2017, 08:58 PM
I think I mentioned last week that Schache was a possibility given it was a good news story if were were to lose Jake.
On top of that Schache is a great prospect with 27 senior games of AFL football already behind him which is excellent for a young tall.

If we land a good running player with neat skills, either wing/HFF/FP, then we'd have brought in a FF/CHF, FB/CHB, HBF/wing & neat skills. I like that we've addressed all the areas of the ground. Everyone wants us to take a ruck, so who knows. Plus if we can use fringe players to slightly improve our picks I'd be happy. Jake aside.

Edit: afl.com.au reporting our interest too

Doc26
16-10-2017, 09:07 PM

Essendon's pick 25 at face value seems undervalued for the Lions. Assuming they don't require a player we may need to bring in another Club to trade with to improve on pick 25, to high teens, low twenties.

bulldogtragic
16-10-2017, 09:11 PM
Essendon's pick 25 at face value seems undervalued for the Lions. Assuming they don't require a player we may need to bring in another Club to trade with to improve on pick 25, to high teens, low twenties.

I wish Geelong would just smash Essendon out with 19 & 23 (22 to GAJ). And we will make it work with the fine print.

Alternatively, if Dalrymple sees no difference between pick 9 & 12, we could swap them into the top 10 together with pick 25. (Assuming we took 25)

Nuggety Back Pocket
16-10-2017, 10:05 PM

Given our lack of quality forwards you would hope that Schache does become a recruiting priority.Both Cloke and Redpath do not appear to be the solution together with the uncertainty of Stringer. Tom Boyd still looks better suited as a ruck man. The thought of recruiting Trengrove Crozier and Schache would be a very good result in our trade endeavours.

GVGjr
16-10-2017, 10:15 PM

I think there are a few options if we really wanted him including pick 9 with a suitable return of early picks. Sure we want to get a good first rounder pick but if we are interested in Schache we might as well have a decent dip at it.

The Bulldogs Bite
16-10-2017, 11:25 PM

West Coast is that rumoured club.

X2 second rounders for Pick 13 IIRC.

Not sure why the Eagles would do it unless we add something else.

Greystache
16-10-2017, 11:28 PM
West Coast is that rumoured club.

X2 second rounders for Pick 13 IIRC.

Not sure why the Eagles would do it unless we add something else.

Do they have a F/S candidate that doesn't immediately jump to mind? It seems to be the only reason I could see why they'd do it.

bulldogtragic
16-10-2017, 11:32 PM
Did the article mention specific clubs? I recall picks between 20 & 30. Geelong could offer 22 & 23 once Lang is traded.

Topdog
16-10-2017, 11:33 PM
Do they have a F/S candidate that doesn't immediately jump to mind? It seems to be the only reason I could see why they'd do it.

Yeah thought the same.

Points are useless if you don't have f/s poor academy prospects coming up. Even then it may not be needed

bulldogtragic
17-10-2017, 10:55 AM
Brisbane's footy boss says something might happen today with Schache.

Mofra
17-10-2017, 11:35 AM
Brisbane's footy boss says something might happen today with Schache.
They may have been waiting for our Stringer trade to go through and then we on trade picks.

bulldogtragic
17-10-2017, 11:39 AM
They may have been waiting for our Stringer trade to go through and then we on trade picks.

That's the dream. An agreement in principal while we get the best possible deal. If true, imagine that... Two clubs respecting each other over the trade table!!

Mofra
17-10-2017, 11:47 AM
That's the dream. An agreement in principal while we get the best possible deal. If true, imagine that... Two clubs respecting each other over the trade table!!
That's how Hamling got to Freo - and then Crozier got to the Dogs.

bulldogtragic
17-10-2017, 11:48 AM

Maybe Dodoro missed the memo.

Doc26
17-10-2017, 11:57 AM
Maybe Dodoro missed the memo.

The painful thing to observe though is even with his take no prisoners approach he will still end up landing Smith, Saad and Stringer for no more than he had anticipated. Hopefully the karma bus will come back to haunt him and his 'whatever it takes' immoral Club.

Topdog
17-10-2017, 12:28 PM
The painful thing to observe though is even with his take no prisoners approach he will still end up landing Smith, Saad and Stringer for no more than he had anticipated. Hopefully the karma bus will come back to haunt him and his 'whatever it takes' immoral Club.

The only way it hits or hurts them is if teams make a stand against it. Hopefully we do

ledge
17-10-2017, 12:34 PM

Well nothing's to say it's successful until a couple of years down the track to be honest, a bit of work to be done with Jake even if they do get him.

Happy Days
17-10-2017, 01:04 PM

Hmm I think Freo still win that handily. It's easy to respect the other club when you do better than them in trades between you. You wouldn't have wanted to pay a cent more than what we did for Crozier, but the same can't be said about what Freo paid for Hamling.

Topdog
17-10-2017, 01:28 PM
Not sure i agree with that. Hamling really only had a handful of good games with us and i don't believe we could have got more. Wasn't great this year either

Happy Days
17-10-2017, 01:30 PM
Not sure i agree with that. Hamling really only had a handful of good games with us and i don't believe we could have got more. Wasn't great this year either

He was excellent this year. 6th in their B & F and was the #2 player in the AFL for one on one defending (behind Rance) before their late season capitulation.

Scraggers
17-10-2017, 02:23 PM
He was excellent this year. 6th in their B & F and was the #2 player in the AFL for one on one defending (behind Rance) before their late season capitulation.

I disagree ... he had an average season. I attended 10 Freo games this year (and as a past Bulldog) I watched his games closely. The only reason his statistics were high was because Freo’s defensive unit as a whole sucked. Their midfield was even worse. He was constantly having to defend because the ball was always up that end, but he had very few second efforts. His effectiveness would be the only statistic worth looking at.

Twodogs
17-10-2017, 02:42 PM
I thought that if Hamling was still playing for us the night we played Freo we would have won.

Happy Days
17-10-2017, 02:51 PM
I disagree ... he had an average season. I attended 10 Freo games this year (and as a past Bulldog) I watched his games closely. The only reason his statistics were high was because Freo’s defensive unit as a whole sucked. Their midfield was even worse. He was constantly having to defend because the ball was always up that end, but he had very few second efforts. His effectiveness would be the only statistic worth looking at.

That would speak to his stats actually being better than they appear; that particular stat is calculated as a percentage rather than a counting stat.

Topdog
17-10-2017, 03:28 PM
Got a link for that? In July he wasn't in the top 10 from what i can see

Rocket Science
17-10-2017, 04:14 PM
FWIW the bespectacled grub asserts the drums are beating louder and louder on Schache to Dogs with us currently doing our "due diligence".

Scraggers
17-10-2017, 04:14 PM
That would speak to his stats actually being better than they appear; that particular stat is calculated as a percentage rather than a counting stat.

They were HD ... he was our third best defender in 2016 and he would have been their third best defender behind Johnson Logue/S.Hill

Happy Days
17-10-2017, 04:21 PM
Got a link for that? In July he wasn't in the top 10 from what i can see

It was frequently touted on SEN by Frawley at the time, but I don't have a link because Champion Data is like Fort Knox.

Dry Rot
17-10-2017, 04:29 PM
FWIW the bespectacled grub asserts the drums are beating louder and louder on Schache to Dogs with us currently doing our "due diligence".

Anyone else wondering why no other club is interested in the former pick #2 KPP forward Schache?

Doc26
17-10-2017, 04:31 PM
Anyone else wondering why no other club is interested in the former pick #2 KPP forward Schache?

Everything down to the perception of a lack of competitiveness.

bulldogtragic
17-10-2017, 04:35 PM

Caro's article seemed to suggest some fragility. Other pieces by others referenced his salary, which was good to knock us back earlier in the year. Others about cost to get him.

That Barrett is saying we are doing our due diligence... We were chasing him apparently before he recontracted. I reckon we've done our due diligence well before now, you news breaker Barrett. Again, last to know nothing from our club.

Rocket Science
17-10-2017, 04:40 PM

Coupled with Barrett & Wallet suggesting he's gettable for a 2nd rounder while pushing the line the Lions are now happy to acquiesce on a trade for "humanitarian" reasons, it does have an odd whiff to it ...

1eyedog
17-10-2017, 04:40 PM
Caro's article seemed to suggest some fragility. Other pieces by others referenced his salary, which was good to knock us back earlier in the year. Others about cost to get him.

That Barrett is saying we are doing our due diligence... We were chasing him apparently before he recontracted. I reckon we've done our due diligence well before now, you news breaker Barrett. Again, last to know nothing from our club.

Yeah I heard we met with him again a few weeks ago. We've been all over him for ages.

bulldogtragic
17-10-2017, 04:43 PM
Yeah I heard we met with him again a few weeks ago. We've been all over him for ages.

Yep. I find it interesting that a group of members and fans on WOOF, seem to miles ahead of this 'big story breaking' journo. Soon to be ex-journo. Soon he will be breaking Trengove might be coming to the dogs.

Doc26
17-10-2017, 04:44 PM
Yes, I know, about as credible as a snake oil salesman.

Jon Ralph just tweeting:

The Dogs had a look at Schache and according to the Lions have now said they aren't interested. Looks like he stays

The Bulldogs Bite
17-10-2017, 04:51 PM

Jon Ralph just tweeting:

Interesting if true given Barrett is saying we are interested.

1eyedog
17-10-2017, 04:53 PM
My feeling is that if we didn't have Boyd we'd take him.

bulldogtragic
17-10-2017, 04:56 PM
Interesting if true given Barrett is saying we are interested.

Bizarre. Chase him on and off all year, get a chance to grab him and walk away. And weird the quote/comment is not from our side as the chasing club. Bizarre and weird.

LongWait
17-10-2017, 04:58 PM
Bizarre. Chase him on and off all year, get a chance to grab him and walk away. And weird the quote/comment is not from our side as the chasing club. Bizarre and weird.

What makes you say we have been all over Schache all year?

Doc26
17-10-2017, 04:59 PM
If we are in discussions with West Coast could there be any possibility of prying Andrew Gaff out early before he becomes a FA in 2018?

Bulldog Revolution
17-10-2017, 05:00 PM
If we are in discussions with West Coast could there be any possibility of prying Andrew Gaff out early before he becomes a FA in 2018?

Suspect its unlikely, but we'd certainly like him

bulldogtragic
17-10-2017, 05:04 PM
What makes you say we have been all over Schache all year?

On and off through the year, not all year. That it was public that we were one of three clubs into him before he re-signed. More recently that 1eye said a few posts back about meeting him. Then the last few days our interest being public.

1eyedog
17-10-2017, 05:16 PM
You'd be silly if you hadn't considered him. Former no.2, had a promising first season and now available seemingly cheaply. Most Victorian teams would have considered him, bit concerned why it hasn't gone further.

McGuane today was saying he thought TAC Cup rules benefit tall fowards hence his high draft position. Went on a hard hitting spree saying Schache has been found out amongst good defenders / interceptors who zone off.

bulldogtragic
17-10-2017, 05:18 PM

Jon Ralph just tweeting:

On second reading, the wording is a little tricky. According to the Lions (who want the best deal, and may or may not have demanded pick 9 be involved), the Lions say they (the dogs) aren't interested.

That doesn't say we aren't into Schache as a player. It just says the dogs arent interested. Possibly in the lions demands. "Looks like he stays" is the veiled threat.

This could be a small stalemate and Brisbane are letting by other clubs all know through the Hun we haven't finalised the deal. And if clubs want to pay more might get him. Or to the dogs they'll keep him. We didn't tell Ralph anything it seems. I still say watch this space.

Rocket Science
17-10-2017, 05:36 PM
So, according the professional noise-makers Richmond were into him hard since prior to him re-signing, then peeled off ... and now us following suit as well seemingly.

Hmmm.

LongWait
17-10-2017, 05:53 PM
On and off through the year, not all year. That it was public that we were one of three clubs into him before he re-signed. More recently that 1eye said a few posts back about meeting him. Then the last few days our interest being public.

Not what I've heard.

bulldogtragic
17-10-2017, 05:56 PM
Not what I've heard.

Luckily by 2pm Thursday we will all be put out of our misery with he & Stringer in particular.

1eyedog
17-10-2017, 07:22 PM
Not what I've heard.

Something to contrary?

bornadog
17-10-2017, 07:39 PM
Not what I've heard.

Do tell what you have heard now that you posted a teaser.

LongWait
17-10-2017, 08:01 PM

I haven't heard anything about Schache until quite recently when it became obvious that he might be available. We look at dozens of AFL and State League players each year and Schache is not a name I'd heard was of any particular interest. I'm not privy to everything the club does and we play our cards close to our chests, so I'm not claiming perfect knowledge, but I would have named a dozen players ahead of Schache that we've put some time into.

bulldogtragic
17-10-2017, 09:30 PM
Interesting Ralph tweeted about us and Schache at 4pm. And his article loaded online at 4pm says the dogs should trade for Schache.

Ralph Wigum seems more coherent.

And this.... :

"Already he (Stringer) has been used as the scapegoat for all that ailed the Dogs this year when we all know many more players had issues than just Stringer."

1eyedog
17-10-2017, 09:35 PM
Interesting Ralph tweeted about us and Schache at 4pm. And his article loaded online at 4pm says the dogs should trade for Schache.

Ralph Wigum seems more coherent.

And this.... :

"Already he (Stringer) has been used as the scapegoat for all that ailed the Dogs this year when we all know many more players had issues than just Stringer."

Sure but that's a vurp. We don't know the inner machinations of the group and whom did what and said what to whom any more than he does.

And who the hell is this Wigum character?

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/2113472319/weasdfgh_400x400.jpg

LongWait
17-10-2017, 09:43 PM

I should also add that I'm certainly not saying we aren't having a crack at Shache now - just that I don't believe we've had a long standing interest in him.

bulldogtragic
17-10-2017, 09:46 PM
Sure but that's a vurp. We don't know the inner machinations of the group and whom did what and said what to whom any more than he does.

And who the hell is this Wigum character?

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/2113472319/weasdfgh_400x400.jpg

Ralph Wigum? The best supporting character in TV history.

kruder
18-10-2017, 10:28 AM
Loosing Jake and not trading for Schache is going to be a real binary outcome for club it will be interesting to see how it plays out in the future thats for sure

The Bulldogs Bite
18-10-2017, 10:38 AM
How do we think we're going to score next season?

Cloke? Redpath?

Given all the circumstances I can live with losing Stringer (albeit for a better deal than what is being touted), but I am surprised at our drop of interest in Schache.

We have done nothing to address our scoring woes in the last 2-3 years.

bulldogsthru&thru
18-10-2017, 10:40 AM

Cloke? Redpath?

Given all the circumstances I can live with losing Stringer (albeit for a better deal than what is being touted), but I am surprised at our drop of interest in Schache.

This is what i'm not liking the most in all of this. We struggle big time to score yet we are losing our best goal kicker and not replacing him in the slightest. How the hell will we kick goals next season? Stringer was down on form but at least took the best defender

1eyedog
18-10-2017, 10:51 AM
Boyd must play forward with Roughie and Trengove alternating ruck / down back. Jake leaving means Bont will be required forward as well and Picken and Hunter will have to play there also you'd think. Hopefully Dicko can have an uninterrupted preseason and get back to his 50 goal a season form.

Our other damaging players JJ and Dale may also need to spend time forward. It will be a bit of gap filling it seems.

kruder
18-10-2017, 11:20 AM

Cloke? Redpath?

Crameri has to stay surely.

Jam Donuts
18-10-2017, 11:40 AM
Boyd at full forward and JJ and Dale HFF, might get some goals then, maybe, please praying now.

ledge
18-10-2017, 04:43 PM
I saw we arent interested in Schache and looks like Stringer is staying.

Bulldog4life
18-10-2017, 08:15 PM
Stevo also said tonight that the murmurings of Schache to dogs won't go away. Maybe Lin Jong for Schache?

Rocket Science
18-10-2017, 08:27 PM
Seemingly stating the obvious but 'The List Manager' mentioned Schache was somehow "less than impressive" when meeting with Victoria suitors.

Most odd, if that's to be beleived.

Happy Days
18-10-2017, 08:40 PM
Schache for Jong? I'm down.

Doc26
18-10-2017, 08:43 PM
Schache for Jong? I'm down.

We're seemingly burning some decent Clubmen in TC and Lin to get to the finish line.

Twodogs
19-10-2017, 12:44 AM
Seemingly stating the obvious but 'The List Manager' mentioned Schache was somehow "less than impressive" when meeting with Victoria suitors.

What does "less than impressive" even mean? Did he form into the fetal position and roll around on the floor the first time somebody asked him a difficult question?

bulldogtragic
19-10-2017, 12:44 AM
Jong for Schache. I can see the club appeal, Lin is a great club man with physicality but is coming off an ACL. Schache has some question marks around physicality, but we are being proactive about addressing our scoring problems. Overall, I can see it as a balanced trade whereby both clubs can claim a win. Us moreso. At the start of trade week, if we were offered this I think we might have jumped at it.

I don’t think Stevo would’ve finished his piece on the news tonight, with this trade proposal if it wasn’t a good shot.

bulldogtragic
19-10-2017, 12:45 AM
We're seemingly burning some decent Clubmen in TC and Lin to get to the finish line.

I read TC was exploring his options at his request?

FrediKanoute
19-10-2017, 01:59 AM
How many good clubmen can a team have? I like Jong and concede that his skills have improved each year, but he has a ceiling and we have a number of guys who are better than he is in his position. granted he has breakaway pace, something we lack. I look at it this way would you prefer we trade Wallis, Libba, MacRae, hunter, Dahlhaus, McLean, Dunkley or Jong, because all of these guys are largely competing for the midfield/forward spot.

Do I think Schache is a good get? honestly I have no idea. If he comes to the doggies my expectations will be low.

bornadog
19-10-2017, 03:02 AM

I have gone from hating Wallace in the 80's, to accepting and liking him when he joined us as both player and then coach, then hating him for lying about going to Swans and ditching us, then growing back slightly to... he is ok. Now I can't stand this BS List manager crap and listening to him at all.

PS: He tweeted there will be 20 trades done tomorrow.

Twodogs
19-10-2017, 04:16 AM
I quite like Plough. One of the more interesting blokes in the footy world. I haven't listened to very much of his List Manager shtick though but he's usually pretty good with his footy stuff. What's wrong with it?

GVGjr
19-10-2017, 06:38 AM
I quite like Plough. One of the more interesting blokes in the footy world. I haven't listened to very much of his List Manager shtick though but he's usually pretty good with his footy stuff. What's wrong with it?

He does seem to have taken it to a more frantic level and doesn't seem as sharp when others are talking about deals. He positioned himself as a draft and list manager expert and you have to credit him for having that type of vision. He reinvents himself as a player, coach and now as a media person.

Twodogs
19-10-2017, 08:03 AM
He does seem to have taken it to a more frantic level and doesn't seem as sharp when others are talking about deals. He positioned himself as a draft and list manager expert and you have to credit him for having that type of vision. He reinvents himself as a player, coach and now as a media person.

Terry adapts very quickly. He is typically a couple of moves ahead of the rest of the footy world.

westdog54
19-10-2017, 09:43 AM
Terry adapts very quickly. He is typically a couple of moves ahead of the rest of the footy world.

Pre game warm up on ground: Plough's initiative
Interview with coach during game: Plough
The Essendon game.

Its a fair assessment.

LongWait
19-10-2017, 10:01 AM
Fair bit of talk that we will complete a trade for Schache today. Media, including Stevo, and some club insiders say it's more and more likely.

bulldogsthru&thru
19-10-2017, 10:03 AM
Jungle drums are beating loudly on Schache being a dog at 2:01pm today.

I don't like the idea of trading Jong though. Both because he offers us something unique but also because he was loyal to us last year.

Mofra
19-10-2017, 10:03 AM
His kids are dogs fans IIRC. He seems to have a real soft spot for us when you drag him away from the Essendon-centric shithole that is SEN's trade programming.

G-Mo77
19-10-2017, 10:15 AM
I read TC was exploring his options at his request?

His manager said he's likely to stay at the Dogs. That can obviously change between when that was said and 2pm today.

ledge
19-10-2017, 10:29 AM
His kids are dogs fans IIRC. He seems to have a real soft spot for us when you drag him away from the Essendon-centric shithole that is SEN's trade programming.

He is a top bloke and has time for everyone , he did a friend of mine a favour after I was chatting to him on Facebook one night , he didn't know me at all but went out of his way to help, he turned up to a VFL game at whitten oval when his son was umpiring, I introduced myself and he introduced me to his wife and we chatted as he did with every supporter who said good day.
I have a lot of respect for Terry and what you read or see on Tv can be very far from the truth.

bulldogtragic
19-10-2017, 10:33 AM
His manager said he's likely to stay at the Dogs. That can obviously change between when that was said and 2pm today.

Exactly. We're not pushing him out. And with Jong, maybe they've made a great offer to him.

I'm hoping to see Schache get done.

The Bulldogs Bite
19-10-2017, 10:40 AM
Exactly. We're not pushing him out. And with Jong, maybe they've made a great offer to him.

I'm hoping to see Schache get done.

Ditto.

If we are losing Stringer, we need reinforcement.

Twodogs
19-10-2017, 10:49 AM

He is a top bloke and has time for everyone , he did a friend of mine a favour after I was chatting to him on Facebook one night , he didn't know me at all but went out of his way to help, he turned up to a VFL game at whitten oval when his son was umpiring, I introduced myself and he introduced me to his wife and we chatted as he did with every supporter who said good day.
I have a lot of respect for Terry and what you read or see on Tv can be very far from the truth.

When Footscray started playing VFL games at western oval again a couple of years ago I saw Terry standing in the crowd. I know him a little bit (an old GF's dad is Terry's right hand man and minder, he sorts out Terry's problems before Terry even realises he has a problem) so I said "welcome home Plough" and he grabbed my arm, pointed to the crowd and said "how long has this been going on? It's great" plough has a soul unlike most others.

bulldogtragic
19-10-2017, 10:50 AM
Ditto.

If we are losing Stringer, we need reinforcement.

And something to address our low scoring. If we can have some decent 200cm targets, with people who can kick it to their advantage, that's a good thing.

Bulldog Revolution
19-10-2017, 10:55 AM

Terry like our first Terry (wheeler) was mostly an innovative ahead of his time coach - on so many grounds,

I mostly loved Ploughs time with the Dogs - we went within an inch - I'll always be sad we didn't but that's life - it ended, but Terry also saw the Campbell Rose could be difficult and so jumped before axed - I don't really blame him and it was perhaps time for a new coach

Axe Man
19-10-2017, 10:56 AM
BOMBERS MAKE LATE SCHACHE PLAY

- Sam Landsberger

JOSH Schache could be traded to Essendon today in a possible three-club swap involving homesick and talented youngsters.

The Herald Sun can reveal the Bombers inquired about Schache on the final morning of trade period.

A potential deal which would send Charlie Cameron to Brisbane Lions, Aaron Francis to Adelaide and Schache to the Bombers has been discussed.

But the Crows’ interest in Francis is understood to be a possible stumbling block.

They are not heavily pursuing the 2015 No.6 pick from South Australia.

Draft picks would also be attached to the deal.

bulldogtragic
19-10-2017, 10:58 AM
Typical Dodoro.

The Bulldogs Bite
19-10-2017, 11:00 AM
You couldn't script this.

It proves how manipulating and conniving that BS club is. Is it any surprise what happened there a few years ago?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
19-10-2017, 11:02 AM
You've got to hand it to Dodo..he's a flog but he's crafty and has a game plan.
They are likely happy to take Shache or use our interest in Scache as a leverage to try and get us to accept their offer for Jake.

Bulldog Revolution
19-10-2017, 11:03 AM
Typical Dodoro.

Do you think it's part of the package to satisfy us?

Mantis
19-10-2017, 11:03 AM
BOMBERS MAKE LATE SCHACHE PLAY

- Sam Landsberger

JOSH Schache could be traded to Essendon today in a possible three-club swap involving homesick and talented youngsters.

The Herald Sun can reveal the Bombers inquired about Schache on the final morning of trade period.

A potential deal which would send Charlie Cameron to Brisbane Lions, Aaron Francis to Adelaide and Schache to the Bombers has been discussed.

But the Crows’ interest in Francis is understood to be a possible stumbling block.

They are not heavily pursuing the 2015 No.6 pick from South Australia.

Draft picks would also be attached to the deal.

Why would Essendon need him? They already have Daniher, Hooker and Stewart.

Don't they realise their midfield is pus?

jazzadogs
19-10-2017, 11:08 AM
So merging the multiple ideas...

Dogs get Schache
Bombers get Stringer
Lions get 25 and 30

I still feel like we are giving up the most in that scenario, and the Bombers are giving up nothing.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
19-10-2017, 11:09 AM
So merging the multiple ideas...

Dogs get Schache
Bombers get Stringer
Lions get 25 and 30

I still feel like we are giving up the most in that scenario, and the Bombers are giving up nothing.

That is not going to work at all. Needs some finessing

ledge
19-10-2017, 11:23 AM
When Footscray started playing VFL games at western oval again a couple of years ago I saw Terry standing in the crowd. I know him a little bit (an old GF's dad is Terry's right hand man and minder, he sorts out Terry's problems before Terry even realises he has a problem) so I said "welcome home Plough" and he grabbed my arm, pointed to the crowd and said "how long has this been going on? It's great" plough has a soul unlike most others.

It was the same day , I had been talking to him about coming back a few nights before and told him he would get a good reception.
He is a life member and definitley has a warm spot for the dog supporters.

jazzadogs
19-10-2017, 11:26 AM

I agree, but that's basically what people are saying in separate deals. Get Carlton involved:

Dogs get Schache + 20 (Lions)
Bombers get Stringer
Blues get 28 (Dogs) + 30 (Bombers)
Lions get 16 (Blues), 25 (Bombers), 48 (Bombers)

That makes Bombers giving 28, 30 and 48 for Stringer
Blues getting their 28 and 30 for Kennedy/Lang (Cats could on-trade for Ablett)
Liones get 16, 25 and 48 for Schache and 20 (values Schache at 13)

We give up Stringer and 28 for Schache and 20.

kruder
19-10-2017, 11:31 AM
Why would Essendon need him? They already have Daniher, Hooker and Stewart.

Don't they realise their midfield is pus?

Its garbage its just Dodoro playing games with dogs trying to use it as leverage.

Rocket Science
19-10-2017, 11:50 AM
Its garbage its just Dodoro playing games with dogs trying to use it as leverage.

I'm sure Brisbane would be thrilled with Dodo using them as a convenient decoy.

They're just a class outfit at Windy Hill.

bulldogsthru&thru
19-10-2017, 11:50 AM
Schache move unlikely according to his manager

The Bulldogs Bite
19-10-2017, 11:54 AM
Jong's manager at Etihad.... interesting.

bulldogsthru&thru
19-10-2017, 11:59 AM
Jong's manager at Etihad.... interesting.

I don't like the idea of Jong being moved on

bulldogtragic
19-10-2017, 12:00 PM
Schache move unlikely according to his manager

Just did a door stop. Said he's not 100% sure if Schache will move. Dogies are definitely interested. Essendon tied up with Stringer, so not sure about them. No one else. Hopefully something can work out for Schache soon.

bulldogtragic
19-10-2017, 12:01 PM
I don't like the idea of Jong being moved on

What if he got a big rise, and extra years (coming off an ACL)? He might be more than happy.

bulldogsthru&thru
19-10-2017, 12:04 PM
What if he got a big rise, and extra years (coming off an ACL)? He might be more than happy.

If he's more than happy then fine. For me it's: 1) he showed loyalty to us last year and 2) He provides us something we don't have - explosive pace. Losing him and Stringer will leave us looking even slower than we already are.

Remove number 1 and its easier to swallow.

ledge
19-10-2017, 12:06 PM
If he's more than happy then fine. For me it's: 1) he showed loyalty to us last year and 2) He provides us something we don't have - explosive pace. Losing him and Stringer will leave us looking even slower than we already are.

Remove number 1 and its easier to swallow.

He was a great fill in ruck too

ledge
19-10-2017, 12:08 PM
Could Bevo be looking at schache rucking sometimes ?

Rocket Science
19-10-2017, 12:09 PM

Everyone gets a go so sure.

Mofra
19-10-2017, 12:14 PM
He's taller than Brett Goodes

1eyedog
19-10-2017, 12:25 PM
Nah Jong will be ready come round 1

bulldogtragic
19-10-2017, 12:39 PM
Stevo again tweeting Jong for Schache.

Twodogs
19-10-2017, 12:49 PM
It was the same day , I had been talking to him about coming back a few nights before and told him he would get a good reception.
He is a life member and definitley has a warm spot for the dog supporters.

The thing with Plough is he was with us in a coaching and playing capacity for over 15 years. He turned up as a player in 1987, won the B&F the first two years he played, retired in 1992 and went straight into coaching. The only time he had away from the club between '87 and 2002 when he finished as senior coach was a year he spent working for the TAB and Foxtel covering horse racing (it makes sense to get Terry Walkace on your TV station to talk about horse racing and not footy doesn't it? Anyway) apart from that he worked his way up to senior assistant and then shafted the senior coach and got the gig himself thank Christ.

1eyedog
19-10-2017, 02:15 PM
We're trying to bundle 25 into Schache but will probably have to part with 16. Looks like he'll get done before 2pm.

jazzadogs
19-10-2017, 02:18 PM
We're trying to bundle 25 into Schache but will probably have to part with 16. Looks like he'll get done before 2pm.

If 16 goes we need their 2018 second rounder to come back.

Dry Rot
19-10-2017, 02:45 PM

The way we are going, we'll probably do 9 + 16 for Schache and Lions 2018 fourth round pick

Doc26
19-10-2017, 02:47 PM
I suspect we've put 25 forward for Schache and the Lions are after 25 plus a player (Jong) or they're looking for our new pick 16.

1eyedog
19-10-2017, 02:48 PM
As per 4 posts above you.

Greystache
19-10-2017, 02:53 PM
Maybe we can still sneak another ripping deal through. Word is we have our best man on it.

https://youtu.be/Npr9Svl47q8

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
19-10-2017, 02:56 PM
Watch..desperate to try and appear to salvage something from a horror day we'll allow Brisbane to trample us for Schache

kruder
19-10-2017, 02:56 PM

Going down to the wire sounds like we are in a room negotiating now

Greystache
19-10-2017, 02:59 PM
Just awaiting the announcement. I'm ready!

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTl2rEjpZynMwW9Ta6_FcVPsNAjRmZq0Yso5UADT-wLE67groS670aqedc4

EasternWest
19-10-2017, 03:00 PM
Just awaiting the announcement. I'm ready!

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTl2rEjpZynMwW9Ta6_FcVPsNAjRmZq0Yso5UADT-wLE67groS670aqedc4

I'm finding your meltdown surprisingly humorous today. I mean no offense by it, I'm just enjoying your creative rage.

kruder
19-10-2017, 03:02 PM
Stevo said Schache a dog cant see them in the room

Greystache
19-10-2017, 03:03 PM
I'm finding your meltdown surprisingly humorous today. I mean no offense by it, I'm just enjoying your creative rage.

You have to laugh sometimes, the alternative is too ugly. When a work experience kid from Coles could have got exactly the same outcome or possibly better than our professional football department you have to do something to distract yourself.

bulldogsthru&thru
19-10-2017, 03:03 PM
He's a dog

jazzadogs
19-10-2017, 03:04 PM
I'm terrified.

Not 16 on it's own please please please please please

bulldogtragic
Welcome to the club!

bulldogsthru&thru
I'm terrified.

Not 16 on it's own please please please please please

Nah it won't be. It'll be 16 plus our 2018 first

Rocket Science
Stevo said Schache a dog cant see them in the room

Trade radio now reporting the same. No details as yet.

Grab a stick to bite on, I'm sure this won't hurt a bit.

bulldogsthru&thru
19-10-2017, 03:05 PM
Supposedly 25 and 40. That's good!!

Bulldog Revolution
Welcome to Josh Schache

Mantis
25 & 40?

Mofra
Reported deal done - details to follow

Bulldog4life
For picks 25 & 40

jazzadogs
25 and 40!! Fantastic!!

So Stringer for 16 and Schache!

G-Mo77
25 & 40?

Apparently, good deal if true

kruder
25 and 40

bulldogsthru&thru
19-10-2017, 03:06 PM
So we've turned Stringer and 27 into 16 and Schache. Do i have that right? That's pretty decent

bulldogtragic
Only 25 & 40!!!!

Keeping 9 & 16

MrMahatma
I reckon that works out OK and the trade period has been pretty good - given Stringer was always going to go.

Of course, chances are Schache will be a spud but on face value, looks ok.

kruder
Finally a win

Bulldog4life
25 and 40!! Fantastic!!

So Stringer for 16 and Schache!

Don't forget 2nd rounder 2018.

Webby
That redeems it!

All's well that ends well... Hopefully Jake poisons the Bombers - if that's possible!

Nuggety Back Pocket
Schache for picks 25 and 40. A good get.

whythelongface
19-10-2017, 03:07 PM
Excellent trade if true.

Not all doom and gloom. We still have picks 9 and 16 as well as Trengrove, Schache and Crozier.

The Bulldogs Bite
JMAC is a trading god.

bulldogsthru&thru

Ah yes thanks for that.

So Stringer, 27 and 2018 2nd for 16 and Schache.

Ok that's not as great. But its not disastrous like it appeared to be

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
19-10-2017, 03:08 PM
Jury out on Schache...looks good on paper now...but we could just as well be saddled with a bust...

Mofra
19-10-2017, 03:08 PM
Finally!
Crozier & Schache trades were unders, overs on the other two trades

Ozza
19-10-2017, 03:09 PM
If it is 25 & 40 for Schache - then plenty of people here - including myself, can retract some earlier negatives I think.

Schache, Trengove, Crozier and into the draft with 9 & 16 in a draft where there isn't expected to be a great deal of talent - is probably not as awful a position as we thought we were in 20 minutes ago.

2nd round next year still hurts. Hope Schache can play.

whythelongface
19-10-2017, 03:10 PM
Jury out on Schache...looks good on paper now...but we could just as well be saddled with a bust...

true but he could also end up a star. He obviously has talent, let's hope Bevo can harness this talent and get the best out of him.

Bulldog4life

Much better than to be stuck with a disruptive influence though.

Doc26
Official:

Patrick Keane‏ @AFL_PKeane 2 minutes ago

Trade paperwork lodged:
Bris Lions trade J Schache to WBulldogs for on-traded rd 2 (25) and on-traded rd3 (40).

EasternWest
19-10-2017, 03:12 PM
I'm happy with this - I think it makes our trade period ultimately look ok.

We wanted Stringer gone, he's gone.

Schache has great potential. Maybe now he's home he'll get some groove going on.

G-Mo77
19-10-2017, 03:13 PM
If it is 25 & 40 for Schache - then plenty of people here - including myself, can retract some earlier negatives I think.

Schache, Trengove, Crozier and into the draft with 9 & 16 in a draft where there isn't expected to be a great deal of talent - is probably not as awful a position as we thought we were in 20 minutes ago.

2nd Rounder still burns, the whole Stringer/Ess/Car deal was awful, just awful. Having said that we did very well in the Shache deal and saved ourselves and embarrassing off-season. Not happy but can live with it

jeemak
19-10-2017, 03:14 PM
It should bring the trade period if viewed holistically - which is the way it should be viewed - as a productive period for the club. If we nail pick 16 this year and somehow find our way cheaply into next years second round then it will be a great outcome.

bulldogtragic
19-10-2017, 03:15 PM

I don't mind that knowing that we were effectively doing a draft points trade to get Schache without losing a player. So we need to work on some points potentially next year, but we have Jong at the club still.

Remi Moses

Gotta get that second rounder back, but I'm reasonably pleased .

Ozza
2nd Rounder still burns, the whole Stringer/Ess/Car deal was awful, just awful. Having said that we did very well in the Shache deal and saved ourselves and embarrassing off-season. Not happy but can live with it

I guess the Schache and Stringer deals reflect the current climate around player movement. If a player wants out, or a club wants to move a player out - the balance of a trade is thrown way out of whack.

jeemak

But, without going through that pain it's difficult to see how we could have ended up with our final position. That's the problem with looking at the trade period as individual negotiations that all need winning.

bulldogtragic
19-10-2017, 03:17 PM
Is this the first time in our clubs history, our full forward went Pick 1 and our CHF went pick 2

Mantis
19-10-2017, 03:17 PM
I'm bullish on Schache, he didn't want to be there this year and it showed with his output... but he has some traits that I like, he can kick and he can mark.

Think we will look back at this trade and be happy with it in a few years time and if you look what we had to give up to get a highly rated tall forward in Tom Boyd to the club, this looks a steal.

The Bulldogs Bite
19-10-2017, 03:18 PM
Lions fans are fuming - good sign.

EasternWest
19-10-2017, 03:19 PM
I'm bullish on Schache, he didn't want to be there this year and it showed with his output... but he has some traits that I like, he can kick and he can mark.

Think we will look back at this trade and be happy with it in a few years time and if you look what we had to give up to get a highly rated tall forward in Tom Boyd to the club, this looks a steal.

Agree entirely. I honestly didn't think we'd be seriously in the hunt for him, but now he's ours I reckon his upside is huge and I'm excited by it.

bulldogtragic
19-10-2017, 03:21 PM
Agree entirely. I honestly didn't think we'd be seriously in the hunt for him, but now he's ours I reckon his upside is huge and I'm excited by it.

If our kids can kick it into he and Boyd, maybe Cloke too (losing Stringer & Crameri) then we might just be able to kick near 100 points a game.

G-Mo77
19-10-2017, 03:21 PM
But, without going through that pain it's difficult to see how we could have ended up with our final position. That's the problem with looking at the trade period as individual negotiations that all need winning.

Look if that 2018 2nd wasn't included I would have been very happy overall. We've now got to get back in there now somehow. Hopefully doesn't hurt us in getting West.