PDA

View Full Version : Trade Period Reactions

jazzadogs
19-10-2017, 03:25 PM
Ins: Josh Schache, Hayden Crozier, pick 16, Fremantle's 2018 4th rounder; plus Jackson Trengove as a FA
Outs: Jake Stringer, pick 28, pick 41, 2018 2nd rounder

The Stringer deal has been justified slightly with the inclusion of Schache and maintaining 16. The bluster around this has been discussed ad nauseum, but I believe they did the right thing by not accepting 11 for Stringer and 26 at the start - at that stage we did not know whether Geelong or Carlton or anyone else would come back in. The final trade of (effectively) Stringer and our 2018 2nd rounder for 16 and 40 is not significantly different, and given Jake's attitude (he'd already posed for photos in the Essendon jumper ffs) he could not come back.

I did not expect the Schache deal to go the way it did, with Brisbane giving him up very cheaply in the end.

Crozier and Trengove were both added for nothing.

Losing our 2018 second rounder but gaining the Fremantle 2018 fourth rounder is a clear loss - will be interesting how that works from a points perspective.

Overall, we have come home with a rush in my eye to end up with a winning period overall. Stringer's toxicity leaves alongside his talent, but to replace him with a top 2 pick in Schache and the potential to get another high level talent at 16 is an adequate result. Gaining Crozier and Trengove for nothing pushes it above a pass mark. 6/10 overall

LostDoggy
19-10-2017, 03:32 PM
Finally the club is in remission. We really should be celebrating that the entire Stringer camp has been cut out and we can begin to heal. Who cares that Essendon got him cheap, a short term win for them but more importantly a long term win for us.

westdog54
19-10-2017, 03:35 PM
I was going to start a 'debrief' thread, thank you for taking the time JD.

Given we were trying to offload a lazy, selfish *!*!*!*!wit who only had eyes for one club, I think we've salvaged the week as best we could in the last hour.

Going into the draft with 9 and 16 as our live picks is a positive and if Scache's head is right, we'll be laughing in a couple of years.

Trengove is a player type we've been crying out for and he will help the development of Cordy and Collins immeasurably. Crozier is a great value edition as well.

I'm not ecstatic but I'm not filthy either.

divvydan
19-10-2017, 03:35 PM
If we hadn't lost our 2nd rounder next year, I'd consider it close to even under the circumstances but that pick turns it into a loss.

Daughter of the West
19-10-2017, 03:37 PM
Trade period reaction here:

Thank f**k it's over.

And I never wish to hear of Stringer again. He ballsed up, we ballsed up getting rid of him and it all made my head hurt.

jazzadogs
19-10-2017, 03:39 PM
I liked the summary from somebody on another thread:
Our useable picks this year have gone from 9 and 28 to 9 and 16.
We have added Schache, Crozier and Trengove for Stringer and next year's second.

DOG GOD
19-10-2017, 04:06 PM
We have added Schache, Crozier and Trengove for Stringer and next year's second.

Yes that certainly looks more positive to my eyes after my tears of anger ;)

SlimPickens
19-10-2017, 04:23 PM
Happy with what we achieved. Two first round picks. Stringer had to go for mine, so to end up with Schache and Pick 16 at the end of the day i'm happy.

Losing the second round for next year hurts but still plenty of chances to trade back into it next year.

From a PR perspective we copped a hiding, not sure the silent approach works. Need to be better on this front

Ghost Dog
19-10-2017, 04:46 PM
Not sure there is much the club could have done on the PR front during the trade, but I would like us to come out swinging now.

Webby
19-10-2017, 04:51 PM
Not sure there is much the club could have done on the PR front during the trade, but I would like us to come out swinging now.

Although it would be satisfying for a moment, it wouldn't do us any good in the longer term... I've had my emotional roller coaster for the day!

We can just quietly respond to bragging Essendon fans with some in-house home truths about Jake in the pub... Keep the gunpowder dry, for now.

Smads57
19-10-2017, 05:02 PM
Pretty happy at the end of the trade period with our position and players and picks. Been a very stressful few weeks since the Stringer saga broke. Glad it’s over!

dukedog
19-10-2017, 05:46 PM
Replaced stringer with schache. Good result in the end. He could be a bust. Or he could be great. Worth the risk. Trengove and crozier are good ins. Hopefully 9 and 16 we can work some magic. The draft looks weak this year. But always bargains to be found in hindsight

LostDoggy
19-10-2017, 05:52 PM
Added strength to a weak spine and removed a cancer on the playing group. If the boys knuckle down and regain the hunger that drove the 2016 campaign, I think we'll be playing finals again next year.

dukedog
19-10-2017, 05:58 PM
Added strength to a weak spine and removed a cancer on the playing group. If the boys knuckle down and regain the hunger that drove the 2016 campaign, I think we'll be playing finals again next year.

If we dont play finals i would be very surprised. Hunger should be back. Talent is there.

hujsh
19-10-2017, 06:15 PM
If we dont play finals i would be very surprised. Hunger should be back. Talent is there.

I guess the good news is we won a premiership with Jake contributing next the nothing the second half of that year so on that front we haven't lost a lot.

Bulldog4life
19-10-2017, 06:26 PM
I think we did well under the circumstances. Stringer had to go. Only one club wanted him. Our hands were tied. I am quite happy with the result overall.

bulldogtragic
19-10-2017, 06:35 PM
Give or take:

Start: 9, 28, 43 and Stringer (toxic virus)
End: 9, 16, Schache, Tengove & Crozier (& 2018 4th Freo, (guess circa 61) less 2018 2nd to Carlton (guess circa 30))

So around a 12 pick upgrade into the first round & Schache for Stringer, with a 30 pick drop next year to secure the deal. That doesn't sound brilliant. But that said, the initial offer we were stupid not to accept was to give us 11 and lose 28. That would've meant no Schache or losing Jong or similar to get Schache.

So by coping a public battering for 10 days, we got a similar upgrade, plus we got Schache, plus we didn't have to trade Jong or similar out in the process. So waiting for things to open up was worth it. We have a top 10 pick for the first time in a while, plus another first rounder and a kid who went pick 2. So that sounds a lot better.

Holistically, we added a FB/CHB plus a FF/CHF plus a neat player who can play multiple roles. So we've traded for needs. Now to draft the best (hopefully gun mids) with 9 & 16.

Longer, we didn't spend our salary cap bank so JMacs replacement will move things around to have it freed next year. Plus we add in $500,000 not being paid to Stringer and we have a war chest of salary cap if we can convince a big name to come our way. Next year we have possible acquisitions of Rhylee West & Buku Khamis who as young prospects may add some variety. With Kellett & Oliver Liberatore the year after as more potential young mids.

It's not a stunning result, but we passed the exam. If and when Dal nails two more very good players I'm not sure we will be overly scrutinising all the aspects. We live in the now, and now it's pretty good. The future looks bright too, provided I take over from JMac and bring in Rory Sloane next year.

Ghost Dog
19-10-2017, 06:41 PM
Trade week would be unbearable without woof. That's my reaction.

Ozza
19-10-2017, 06:47 PM
Give or take:

Start: 9, 28, 43 and Stringer (toxic virus)
End: 9, 16, Schache, Tengove & Crozier (& 2018 4th Freo, (guess circa 61) less 2018 2nd to Carlton (guess circa 30))

So around a 12 pick upgrade into the first round & Schache for Stringer, with a 30 pick drop next year to secure the deal. That doesn't sound brilliant. But that said, the initial offer we were stupid not to accept was to give us 11 and lose 28. That would've meant no Schache or losing Jong or similar to get Schache.

So by coping a public battering for 10 days, we got a similar upgrade, plus we got Schache, plus we didn't have to trade Jong or similar out in the process. So waiting for things to open up was worth it. We have a top 10 pick for the first time in a while, plus another first rounder and a kid who went pick 2. So that sounds a lot better.

Holistically, we added a FB/CHB plus a FF/CHF plus a neat player who can play multiple roles. So we've traded for needs. Now to draft the best (hopefully gun mids) with 9 & 16.

Longer, we didn't spend our salary cap bank so JMacs replacement will move things around to have it freed next year. Plus we add in $500,000 not being paid to Stringer and we have a war chest of salary cap if we can convince a big name to come our way. Next year we have possible acquisitions of Rhylee West & Buku Khamis who as young prospects may add some variety. With Kellett & Oliver Liberatore the year after as more potential young mids.

It's not a stunning result, but we passed the exam. If and when Dal nails two more very good players I'm not sure we will be overly scrutinising all the aspects. We live in the now, and now it's pretty good. The future looks bright too, provided I take over from JMac and bring in Rory Sloane next year.

Regarding the $500K not being paid to Stringer - wouldn't we be paying more than that to Schache? If I recall correctly, he re-signed with the Lions on a decent contract.

lemmon
19-10-2017, 06:48 PM
Think we got unders for Stringer but paid unders for Schache, I can live with that.

Trengrove is a good get but think on market value we paid overs for Crozier. Fringe players that don't want to be there have no value in today's market. Don't know why he's worth more than Kobe was last year.

bulldogtragic
19-10-2017, 06:51 PM
Regarding the $500K not being paid to Stringer - wouldn't we be paying more than that to Schache? If I recall correctly, he re-signed with the Lions on a decent contract.

Somewhere this week I recall it was early $300's.

Overall, I just add up the salaries of Bob, Boyd, Stringer, Crameri, Honey & Hamilton. Add in Tengove on modest money, and I don't think Crozier is on too much. Plus Schache and three recruits. I think we are a long way ahead.

choconmientay
19-10-2017, 07:01 PM
The future looks bright too, provided I take over from JMac and bring in Rory Sloane next year.

Come on ... walk the walk 😀 you would have all our support 😁

bulldogtragic
19-10-2017, 07:07 PM
I like some media trade reactions - afl.com.au

The trade (for Schache) paves the way for the Bulldogs to sport one of the competition's best key forward combinations, with Schache joining 2013's No.1 draft pick Tom Boyd.

We see a great combination between both those players. (Chris Grant)

The Doctor
19-10-2017, 09:01 PM
We didn't handle things as well as probably could have but the net result is quite reasonable in the circumstances. The market didn't come for Stringer so we were never going to get maximum value.

Casting aside the trade manipulations the net result was basically;

Stringer for a pick upgrade from 28 to 16
Schache for a 2018 2nd rounder
Crozier for pick 41
Trengove for free

When have we ever had so much key position depth?

When have we ever had key forwards drafted at number 1 & number 2 and at the same time?

Time will tell but not a bad result in my view.

LostDoggy
19-10-2017, 09:08 PM
Glad it is over, the future 2nd rounder has me scratching my head but the team did the best with what they could. I have mixed emotions re stringer but the considered comments from others well more in the loop than I suggests the right decision was made. I just hope he can eventually come back to the club as a premiership player as one of the 22 that broke the drought, and that his former team mates have a few more medals than the one he has ��

1eyedog
19-10-2017, 09:31 PM

Well I didn't ring the club this arvo and cancel my membership so I guess we've come out of it ok in the end :D

1eyedog
19-10-2017, 09:34 PM
Somewhere this week I recall it was early $300's.

Overall, I just add up the salaries of Bob, Boyd, Stringer, Crameri, Honey & Hamilton. Add in Tengove on modest money, and I don't think Crozier is on too much. Plus Schache and three recruits. I think we are a long way ahead.

Will Crammer's get a contract?

bulldogtragic
19-10-2017, 09:43 PM
Will Crammer's get a contract?

Nope. We need to find two spots to open up, and only have two uncontracted primary list players. Honey & Stew.

Happy Days
19-10-2017, 09:57 PM
Gotta say, the majority of what I'm reading all feels a bit kool-aidey. Schache "mitigation" aside, we just lost one of the most talented players to walk into the club in the last 30 years for flotsam, gave up a future second in a ~!SUPERDRAFT!~ for the privilege, and all we have to justify it are vague notions of a premiership player currently away on holidays with members of the playing group as some sort of insidious cancer on it.

I'm still furious. We did poorly and just because another club did even worse is no excuse.

Ghost Dog
19-10-2017, 10:05 PM
Gotta say, the majority of what I'm reading all feels a bit kool-aidey. Schache "mitigation" aside, we just lost one of the most talented players to walk into the club in the last 30 years for flotsam, gave up a future second in a ~!SUPERDRAFT!~ for the privilege, and all we have to justify it are vague notions of a premiership player currently away on holidays with members of the playing group as some sort of insidious cancer on it.

I'm still furious. We did poorly and just because another club did even worse is no excuse.

Fevola was pretty talented as well. A Carlton-following mate of mine told me during the dark days, him and his mates would go to the footy just to watch Fevola and see how many goals he could kick, knowing full well they would be beaten 99% of the time.
Most talented player in 30 years that hardly any other club wanted to touch. Saying something isn't it. At what price does the talent come if it unsettles the whole team? No worries I would have loved us to try and turn him around. But in the end only time will tell.

Have to wait and see, but given some of the rumours and lack of interest from other clubs ( indicating serious issues ) , can any of us deny that actually it could turn out to be the best decision?

Ghost Dog
19-10-2017, 10:10 PM
Remember the days of poor old Rocket, every bloody presser, being given the same old lines of “ You really need a tall forward don’t you?” Well we have plenty of firepower now.

The Doctor
19-10-2017, 11:00 PM
Adrian Dodoro is the King of Trade Week!!

He's like the bad guys in wrestling. You want the good guys to win but he keeps finding ways to beat up the good guys and you can't help but watch, boo and laugh at the same time.

Happy Days
19-10-2017, 11:21 PM

He's like the bad guys in wrestling. You want the good guys to win but he keeps finding ways to beat up the good guys and you can't help but watch, boo and laugh at the same time.

The best heels in wrestling are the ones that are a little bit right, and also have extremely punchable faces. Dodoro totally fits the bill.

Twodogs
19-10-2017, 11:35 PM
Remember the days of poor old Rocket, every bloody presser, being given the same old lines of “ You really need a tall forward don’t you?” Well we have plenty of firepower now.

Oh man that's such a good get. Poor Rocket must be sitting there thinking "oh for god's sake they've gotta be kidding me"

Sedat
20-10-2017, 12:04 AM

He can keep winning trade week - their deadshit fans might see them win a final one day let alone a premiership. Last I checked their midfield is still a steaming pile of shit, full of flashy midgets (adding McGrath to the list). Where are their tall midfield extractors? Jab has retired so they don't even have a crap slow one anymore.

SonofScray
20-10-2017, 12:08 AM
I hope the media who spent two weeks potting our club and cheering on a positive outcome for Essendon in the Stringer deal can acknowledge the net outcome of our trade period is quite positive. They were quick to pull out the rabble, disarray stories that they have pre-written about our Club and pull out of the top drawer when something goes awry. I wonder how quick they'll be to write a piece that recognises the suave piece of work we did in flipping a shit result from Essendon into a pretty solid haul? Our guys didn't work the media and carry on, just went to work and got a good result, all things considered.

Twodogs
20-10-2017, 02:12 AM
I hope the media who spent two weeks potting our club and cheering on a positive outcome for Essendon in the Stringer deal can acknowledge the net outcome of our trade period is quite positive. They were quick to pull out the rabble, disarray stories that they have pre-written about our Club and pull out of the top drawer when something goes awry. I wonder how quick they'll be to write a piece that recognises the suave piece of work we did in flipping a shit result from Essendon into a pretty solid haul? Our guys didn't work the media and carry on, just went to work and got a good result, all things considered.

Exactly.

ledge
20-10-2017, 02:31 AM
I have no doubt our aim early in the year was to get the players we got.
I also have no doubt Stringers exit was on the cards a month or two before the end of the season.
It was just a matter of how we would do it, to get two of the players for FA I would think was a godsend and Schache for 25 and 40 was beyond expectations I imagine.
We have got two top 20 picks and I don't think we expected to keep one to get Schache.
A very good result in my eyes.

FrediKanoute
20-10-2017, 05:00 AM
I am please with the result. I loved Stringer as a player, but honestly if he isn't going to perform and put the hard yards in he can sod off. Trengrove, Crozier and Schache should improve the team. 2 first round picks should be used wisely! Its a positive result.

What I would say to Essendon is beware of unmarked packages, you never know what they contain

jazzadogs
20-10-2017, 05:53 AM
What I would say to Essendon is beware of unmarked packages, you never know what they contain

And if nobody is home, make sure they don't get left with the family next door.

Twodogs
20-10-2017, 06:03 AM
And if nobody is home, make sure they don't get left with the family next door.

That's funny because as far as Essendon are concerned we are the family next door.

macca
20-10-2017, 06:33 AM
Fevola was pretty talented as well. A Carlton-following mate of mine told me during the dark days, him and his mates would go to the footy just to watch Fevola and see how many goals he could kick, knowing full well they would be beaten 99% of the time.
Most talented player in 30 years that hardly any other club wanted to touch. Saying something isn't it. At what price does the talent come if it unsettles the whole team? No worries I would have loved us to try and turn him around. But in the end only time will tell.

Have to wait and see, but given some of the rumours and lack of interest from other clubs ( indicating serious issues ) , can any of us deny that actually it could turn out to be the best decision?

Great point. Fev was let go by 2 clubs. So that kinda says it all how toxic he had become with his off field behaviour. We got rid of a toxic virus which was affecting our player group. His someone else's problem now!

Stringer did very little in our premiership year, and had 5 touches on the GF day, as I recall.

2015, he was hardly tagged by the comp
2017, cant recall him taking any decent contested marks. ( lowest over his career with us, 3 per match)
here are his stats from footy wire. His tackling has always been poor. Player in decline! Essendon can pay his 600K salary for the next 3 years!

Year Team GM K H D M G B T HO FF FA GA
2017 Bulldogs 16 7.8 4.6 12.4 3.0 1.5 1.6 1.8 0 0.6 0.9 0.6
2016 Bulldogs 23 7.9 6.1 14.0 3.4 1.8 1.0 2.1 0.2 0.8 0.9 0.5
2015 Bulldogs 22 10.7 3.6 14.3 3.5 2.6 1.4 2.7 0.3 0.5 1.1 0.9
2014 Bulldogs 18 7.4 4.8 12.2 3.1 1.4 0.8 2.4 0 0.7 0.7 0.5
2013 Bulldogs 10 4.7 3.7 8.4 3.1 1.2 0.7 2.0 0 0.1 0.9 0.5

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pc-western-bulldogs--jake-stringer

bulldogtragic
20-10-2017, 10:24 AM
I am please with the result. I loved Stringer as a player, but honestly if he isn't going to perform and put the hard yards in he can sod off. Trengrove, Crozier and Schache should improve the team. 2 first round picks should be used wisely! Its a positive result.

Same kind of result as getting 'the package' from Ted Kaczynski. It'll blow up in their face.

Bulldog4life
20-10-2017, 11:10 AM
WESTERN BULLDOGS

Who Left: Jake Stringer (Essendon)

Who Arrived: Jackson Trengove (Port Adelaide), Hayden Crozier (Fremantle), Josh Schache (Brisbane)

Draft Picks: 9, 16, 82, 101

Champion Data says: “They traded a forward for unders but then got in a player from Brisbane for unders. Key forwards take time, you look at West Coast’s Josh Kennedy at the same time as Josh Schache and they’re on a similar path. He’ll appreciate playing in a better team and within two years he will be a permanent member in their best 22.”

Chris Pelchen says: “When it came to the finish line, I think they’ve done extremely well. They missed a trick early by not pulling the trigger on Jake Stringer … but they recovered their position extremely well and finished well ahead of tape. Jackson Trengove will help them, Hayden Crozier’s better than what we’ve seen and better for coming home and they’ve done the right thing bringing Josh Schache in.”

Grade: B+

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-trade-period-2017-report-cards-every-clubs-exchange-period-graded/news-story/c5968ddd7e780078a5cc09b42ce05e82

ledge
20-10-2017, 12:15 PM
If Jake doesn't come good and schache shows his potential it will be one of the greatest trades of all time , gets me how they rate a trade when you can't really until a few years down the track.

bulldogtragic
20-10-2017, 01:10 PM
Media reactions:

The Age

Hayden Crozier’s a handy replacement [for Stringer] and Trengove is a solid citizen. Former No. 2 pick Josh Schache still has plenty of time to make an impact. They have two picks inside 16 for master recruiter Simon Dalrymple to replenish their list.

- Peter Ryan

Herald Sun

“While Stringer has left, the Dogs have brought in a key defender (Jackson Trengove), key forward (Josh Schache) and half back flanker/outside midfielder (Hayden Crozier) and secured them with great deals. Trengove was a free agent but to get Schache, a pick No.2 only two years ago, for picks 25 and 40 was brilliant.

“In effect, the Dogs have traded Stringer for Schache. I still rate Schache really highly and think he will develop into a good AFL player. He marks well on the lead and is an accurate set shot for goal, he’s a beautiful kick — those types of players are very hard to find. I have no doubt he will thrive being back in his home state and around his family and friends. I think they’ve got a beauty.”

- Gary Buckenara

Schache, 20, passed a Bulldogs medical on Wednesday night and then nervously tracked his last-gasp trade to Whitten Oval from home in Seymour.

Brisbane Lions rejected an initial offer of pick 25 for Schache and then granted the youngster’s homecoming wish when the Dogs added pick 40 to the deal.

The kid with a beautiful set-shot — likened to a fluent golf swing by recruiters in 2015 — will finally shake the contract spotlight that has burdened him all season.

Suddenly, the Dogs go to the draft with selections No.9 and 16 with Schache, Fremantle’s Hayden Crozier and Port Adelaide’s Jackson Trengove all set to join for pre-season.

- Sam Landsberger

Fox Sports

“When it came to the finish line, I think they’ve done extremely well. Jackson Trengove will help them, Hayden Crozier’s better than what we’ve seen and better for coming home and they’ve done the right thing bringing Josh Schache in.”

- Chris Pelchen

Champion Data

“They traded a forward for unders but then got in a player from Brisbane for unders. Key forwards take time, you look at West Coast’s Josh Kennedy at the same time as Josh Schache and they’re on a similar path. He’ll appreciate playing in a better team and within two years he will be a permanent member in their best 22.”

Happy Days
20-10-2017, 01:33 PM
Wow reading that Age write-up you'd never guess that their funding has been slashed and morale around the paper is at rock bottom.

Axe Man
20-10-2017, 01:42 PM
Chris Pelchen says: “When it came to the finish line, I think they’ve done extremely well. They missed a trick early by not pulling the trigger on Jake Stringer … but they recovered their position extremely well and finished well ahead of tape. Jackson Trengove will help them, Hayden Crozier’s better than what we’ve seen and better for coming home and they’ve done the right thing bringing Josh Schache in.”

We missed a trick by not accepting a pick upgrade for Stringer which would have resulted in us either: having no currency for Schache; having to trade a player to obtain Schache; or having to trade 11 out anyway as part of a deal for Schache. Yeah really missed a trick there Pelican.

Twodogs
20-10-2017, 01:54 PM
Wow reading that Age write-up you'd never guess that their funding has been slashed and morale around the paper is at rock bottom.

Heh! If it wasn't so accurate it would be funny!

Bulldog Joe
21-10-2017, 01:01 AM
Have tried to follow from afar as I am currently overseas and everything was happening when I couldn't logon.

Initial disappointment and particularly that Essendon got the trade that the manoeuvred, but very happy with the final outcome from our perspective.

Twodogs
21-10-2017, 10:51 AM
We've picked up 3 best 22 players from other clubs. That doesn't often happen.

Ghost Dog
21-10-2017, 03:16 PM
Love the part about Shaq's kicking.

boydogs
21-10-2017, 03:53 PM
We were involved in the two biggest bargains of the trade period - the seller in one and the buyer in the other

Our trading team deserves props though as it's not their fault they had damaged goods to trade out in Stringer, but it is their good work that we were able to get Schache to come here

G-Mo77
21-10-2017, 04:22 PM
We missed a trick by not accepting a pick upgrade for Stringer which would have resulted in us either: having no currency for Schache; having to trade a player to obtain Schache; or having to trade 11 out anyway as part of a deal for Schache. Yeah really missed a trick there Pelican.

But we traded out our 2017 and 2018 2nd Rounder to get this Stringer deal done. When this one dropped my initial though was the first offer was better as we kept our 2018 Pick. The deal did give us currency to obtain Shache but can't help but feel we could have anyway with some other movement. It evened out, we got a bum deal for Stringer, I don't care what anyone says, it was ordinary but we got Shache for very little as well.

Overall I think we've done well. Trengove came in for nothing, Crozier cost very little and have a very young and talented big forward to work with while keeping #9 and obtaining #16. Not pleased about losing our 2018 2nd but all the dust settled I was pretty happy.

Eastdog
21-10-2017, 04:56 PM
Well I'm glad it's all over now. I think we had to move on Stringer as the divide between him and Bevo clearly was there and there didn't look like way back. Will be a bit frustrated if he does alright at the Bombers but at the same time I think this couldn't go on the Stringer situation.

On the players we brought in hopefully they are very strong contributors. Trengove will be very useful down in defence helping out guys like Lewis Young who seems like he will be a great future player. Crozier I'm hoping will thrive in a new environment under Bevo and Schache up forward.

bulldogtragic
21-10-2017, 05:04 PM
I was thinking more upon the 2018 second rounder. Say it's pick 30 for argument sake. If only one of West or Khamis get nominated before 30 next draft and we match the bid then we will lose that pick 30. That's a good possibility, so we are really only losing the draft points attached to it.

If you look at the points out, factoring in the 4th rounder extra points in from Freo, if we traded a player for pick 50 & 51, we have recouped all of that second round loss. So overall, because it's DVI related next year, the loss is possibly as low as pick 50 & 51 as opposed to Pick 30 (2nd rounder). Plus we got Schache, and didn't give up a player. It just means we will be on the hunt for points through trade.

Dry Rot
21-10-2017, 05:43 PM
I was thinking more upon the 2018 second rounder. Say it's pick 30 for argument sake. If only one of West or Khamis get nominated before 30 next draft and we match the bid then we will lose that pick 30. That's a good possibility, so we are really only losing the draft points attached to it.

If you look at the points out, factoring in the 4th rounder extra points in from Freo, if we traded a player for pick 50 & 51, we have recouped all of that second round loss. So overall, because it's DVI related next year, the loss is possibly as low as pick 50 & 51 as opposed to Pick 30 (2nd rounder). Plus we got Schache, and didn't give up a player. It just means we will be on the hunt for points through trade.

Hasn't there been some change to the rules so that you can't just combine many lower picks to get one player?

Dry Rot
21-10-2017, 05:44 PM
I was thinking more upon the 2018 second rounder. Say it's pick 30 for argument sake. If only one of West or Khamis get nominated before 30 next draft

What's the story with Kharmis? Is he any good? A tall forward? I want more of them.... :D

bulldogtragic
21-10-2017, 06:20 PM
What's the story with Kharmis? Is he any good? A tall forward? I want more of them.... :D

Check out the father/son thread. I put a heap of updates Khamis in there. I'm excited more than anything by his trajectory up the charts. He went a long way in only 12 months, he's apparently training with the club over summer so hopefully we should get a good look at him. Hopefully some woofers are at training to us a front seat to him.

boydogs
22-10-2017, 12:44 AM

The draft points system is very broken. It was discussed in detail when it first came in but not as much this year, yet this year really highlighted the problems with it. Clubs did some very unbalanced trades points wise, valuing early picks much higher than a combination of later picks worth the same points value

Just look at the offers for Stringer - 11 & 46 for Stringer & 28 valued Stringer at about 18, then after 11 went to GWS, the offer went "down" to 25 & 30 which is actually valued at pick 10 - yet we wouldn't take that, instead we got Carlton involved to get pick 16, and we downgraded our 2018 2nd rounder to 2017 pick 40 to achieve that

If it's considered a shallow draft, you will see early picks valued over an equivalent-on-points combination of later picks. If it's considered a deep draft, it will be the other way around, though we haven't seen that yet so you may say the valuations are out of balance

In a shallow draft, teams with academy or F/S players have a big advantage, as they can accumulate a lot of points with late picks without giving up much with early picks, given how much teams are valuing early picks in relation to late picks

Another problem is clubs must use their next pick to pay for the player - if that's more than enough then they get a later pick back, if it's not enough then their next pick come in to it as well and so on to the point that they can actually go into debt for the next year. That means they can't accumulate late picks to pay for the player unless they trade out the earlier pick, but there is nothing stopping them from making that trade which defeats the purpose of making clubs use their next pick to pay for the player

Our strategy to trade our 2018 2nd rounder away was a good one as that pick will be worth more to other clubs than to us, as to us it was just getting in the way of us doing points trades for late picks to pay for our players cheaply

jeemak
22-10-2017, 12:55 AM
I thought we did that because we’re inept and everyone here not related to the decision making process is much smarter than those involved who were.....

Eastdog
22-10-2017, 01:42 AM

Every player needs to do the work no one can slack off and think that talent will get them there. Players not willing to put in will not get a lot out of themselves.

A good analogy is like for a school/uni exam you may think you will get through based on your intelligence but if you do not do the hard work during the year it will show and you will not do well even though you might be quite smart.

Twodogs
22-10-2017, 02:30 AM
Every player needs to do the work no one can slack off and think that talent will get them there. Players not willing to put in will not get a lot out of themselves.

A good analogy is like for a school/uni exam you may think you will get through based on your intelligence but if you do not do the hard work during the year it will show and you will not do well even though you might be quite smart.

That only hurts you. It's more like turning up on the day of a group presentation and not having done any work on it, thinking that what you know about the subject is already enough and you'll just make your bit up as you go along.

Go_Dogs
22-10-2017, 08:27 AM
I thought we did that because we’re inept and everyone here not related to the decision making process is much smarter than those involved who were.....

Plenty can change in 12 months and if we have to go into debt for 2019 because we traded our future second round and both West and our Academy player are both highly rated after big seasons come draft day, it won't be a good look.

Bulldog4life
22-10-2017, 08:41 AM
That only hurts you. It's more like turning up on the day of a group presentation and not having done any work on it, thinking that what you know about the subject is already enough and you'll just make your bit up as you go along.

Agree Td. In a past life I regularly had to talk in public and was always well prepared. On this one day I decided to wing it and take no notes with me thinking I had done this enough times to be proficient. Well it was the worse decision I could have made. Never again.

Twodogs
22-10-2017, 05:30 PM
Agree Td. In a past life I regularly had to talk in public and was always well prepared. On this one day I decided to wing it and take no notes with me thinking I had done this enough times to be proficient. Well it was the worse decision I could have made. Never again.

Preperation is everything. It only looks easy because you've done all the hard work already.

bulldogtragic
22-10-2017, 05:36 PM
Plenty can change in 12 months and if we have to go into debt for 2019 because we traded our future second round and both West and our Academy player are both highly rated after big seasons come draft day, it won't be a good look.

In the last two years Stringer, Hamling, Hrovat & Stevens requested out. So we may well lose one or two players to get some points in. Plus we have 5 candidates for free agency, so if they do leave we are looking at more points again. Plus we can look at points trades.

There's also the matter of Kellett & Olly Liberatore the next year, so you'd think we are making sure we are covered across the board.

ledge
22-10-2017, 07:54 PM
In the last two years Stringer, Hamling, Hrovat & Stevens requested out. So we may well lose one or two players to get some points in. Plus we have 5 candidates for free agency, so if they do leave we are looking at more points again. Plus we can look at points trades.

There's also the matter of Kellett & Olly Liberatore the next year, so you'd think we are making sure we are covered across the board.

Actually I think only one requested out ,Hamling, the others were on the outer anyway and saw the writing on the wall.

boydogs
22-10-2017, 08:29 PM
Plus we can look at points trades

Pick 10 (1,395) for picks 41-45 (1,894 - better than pick 5)

West pick 8 (1,551 * 80% = 1,240.8)
Khamis pick 30 (629 - 197 = 432)

1,894 - 1,241 - 432 = 221, pick 54

So pick 10 for pick 8, pick 30 and pick 54

So much for no second rounder :)

1eyedog
23-10-2017, 07:59 PM
Preperation is everything. It only looks easy because you've done all the hard work already.

Omg TD that signature!!!!

Twodogs
24-10-2017, 01:18 AM
Omg TD that signature!!!!

There's a very interesting story behind that excerpt.