PDA

View Full Version : What will our 2018 team look like?

Dry Rot
19-10-2017, 04:13 PM
Will Shache make the team first up ahead of Cloke and Redpath?

Post your 2018 teams - one for Round 1 2018 and one for Round 23 2018.

GVGjr
19-10-2017, 07:56 PM
Will Shache make the team first up ahead of Cloke and Redpath?

Post your 2018 teams - one for Round 1 2018 and one for Round 23 2018.

If he is fit, I think he is a good chance to make the first team, I'll do a team shortly.

Flamethrower
19-10-2017, 08:17 PM
B: Morris Adams Cordy
H: Wood Trengove Crozier
C: Hunter Wallis Macrae
H: Johanissen Schache McLean
F: Daniel Redpath Dale

R: Boyd Bontempelli Liberatore

I: Dahlhaus Roughead Picken Dunkley

Depth: Biggs Campbell Collins Cloke Dickson English Jong Lipinski Roberts Smith Webb Williams Young

EasternWest
19-10-2017, 08:20 PM

Depth: Biggs Campbell Collins Cloke Dickson English Jong Lipinski Roberts Smith Webb Williams Young

No Suckling. You're ok by me.

GVGjr
19-10-2017, 08:32 PM
BK: Biggs - Adams - Cordy
HB: Wood - Trengove - Crozier
CT: Hunter - Wallis - Macrae
HF Bontempelli - Schache - Johnanissen
FF: Dahlhaus - Boyd - McLean
RK: Roughead - Jong - Liberatore
IC: Picken - Morris - Daniel - Dale
EM: Williams - Dunkley - Suckling

1eyedog
19-10-2017, 08:36 PM

Crozier has to earn it Biggs is the proven performer.

1eyedog
19-10-2017, 08:42 PM
H: Wood Trengove Biggs
C: Hunter Jong Macrae
H: Johanissen Boyd McLean
F: Daniel Schache Dale

R: Roughead, Bontempelli Liberatore

I: Dahlhaus Wallis Picken Dunkley

Depth: Crozier, Campbell Collins Cloke Dickson English Lipinski Roberts Smith Webb Williams Young.

bulldogtragic
19-10-2017, 08:59 PM
It was apparent when watching the VFL finals loss, just how many defenders flock to Boyd. I wonder with Shaq, whether opponents will still flood Boyd and thus give him more room and time. Or whether, if they manage to stay out of each other's path, Boyd might get a little less attention?

Go_Dogs
19-10-2017, 09:13 PM
Biggs, Cordy, Wood
Williams, Trengove, Crozier
McLean, Macrae, Daniel
Hunter, Schache, JJ
Dahlhaus, Adams, Dale
Boyd, Bont, Libba
Suckers, Picken, Dunkley, Jong

1eyedog
19-10-2017, 09:28 PM
Jong is best 22 fir mine purely as a structural point of difference.

hujsh
19-10-2017, 09:59 PM
HF Bontempelli - Schache - Johnanissen
FF: Dahlhaus - Boyd - McLean
IC: Picken Dale
EM: Williams - Dunkley - Suckling

If up the field can cope with those players spending reasonable time forward we may just have a shot at kicking some goals next year. Though I guess that will also depend on the players sending it their way which with Hunter, Walis, Macrae, Jong and Wood among the names listed might be an issue.

jazzadogs
20-10-2017, 01:35 AM
B: Biggs Adams Cordy
HB: JJ Trengove Wood
C: Hunter Liberatore Macrae
HF: Suckling Schache Dale
F: Dickson Boyd Dahlhaus
R: Roughead Bontempelli McLean
Int: Wallis Picken Williams Daniel
Emg: Morris Dunkley Crozier

Those in bold are the ones that I see as absolute locks to be in the side.

The others:
- Biggs - will be competing with Crozier, Webb, Williams and more for the final mid-sized defender position. I am a big fan of his actual defensive ability, with his run and carry a bonus. The others are more run and carry, with worse defensive skills.
- Adams/Cordy - potentially overkill having both in with Trengove, but they are clearly competing with Morris, Collins, Roberts and Young. I think we will see these positions rotate regularly throughout the year, not least of all because our key defenders have a tendency to get injured.
- Suckling - placed well in the best and fairest so he probably is a lock, but I think he will be facing competition from plenty for this position - Lipinski, Jong, Smith etc. Our half forward role basically needs to do a midfield rotation as well, so it will be interesting to see how Suckers is deployed in 2018.
- Schache/Boyd - the two great hopes. It will be very disappointing from my point of view if Cloke or Redpath are in our 2018 round one side. Fergus Greene a less than 5% chance.
- Roughead would have to be a 70/30 chance of beating out English for the number one ruck role, but knowing what we know about Bevo I wouldn't say it's a guarantee.

Plus our two first round draft picks!!

Bulldog4life
20-10-2017, 10:02 AM
HB: JJ Trengove Wood
HF: Suckling Schache Dale
F: Dickson Boyd Dahlhaus
R: Roughead Bontempelli McLean
Int: Wallis Picken Williams Daniel
Emg: Morris Dunkley Crozier

Those in bold are the ones that I see as absolute locks to be in the side.

The others:
- Biggs - will be competing with Crozier, Webb, Williams and more for the final mid-sized defender position. I am a big fan of his actual defensive ability, with his run and carry a bonus. The others are more run and carry, with worse defensive skills.
- Adams/Cordy - potentially overkill having both in with Trengove, but they are clearly competing with Morris, Collins, Roberts and Young. I think we will see these positions rotate regularly throughout the year, not least of all because our key defenders have a tendency to get injured.
- Suckling - placed well in the best and fairest so he probably is a lock, but I think he will be facing competition from plenty for this position - Lipinski, Jong, Smith etc. Our half forward role basically needs to do a midfield rotation as well, so it will be interesting to see how Suckers is deployed in 2018.
- Schache/Boyd - the two great hopes. It will be very disappointing from my point of view if Cloke or Redpath are in our 2018 round one side. Fergus Greene a less than 5% chance.
- Roughead would have to be a 70/30 chance of beating out English for the number one ruck role, but knowing what we know about Bevo I wouldn't say it's a guarantee.

Plus our two first round draft picks!!

Redders won't be. He has a one match suspension to serve.

Rocket Science
20-10-2017, 01:40 PM
HB: Crozier Trengove Wood
HF: Johanissen Schache McLean
F: Dale Boyd Dahlhaus
R: Roughead Bontempelli Daniel
Int: Suckling Wallis Jong Dunkley

Emg: Picken Morris Williams

Decidedly more bullish about that combination upon finishing than starting it.

Much depends on Trengove and Schache settling quickly. I suspect Crozier will be in and out of the side but if his intercepting and kicking is up to snuff we can certainly use him. JJ, Dale, Dahlhaus & McLean to make mincemeat of anything at the feet of the twin towers. Versatile mid-sized bench that can plug holes throughout and run, run, run.

Moz unlucky to begin with, perhaps a little to prove that the body's still willing though likely to enter the fray quickly anyway through a combination of others' poor form and our annual fragility crisis in the back half.

If Cloke, Redpath or Roberts are getting a regular game it's going to be a long year.

So many questions: Can Libba rebound? We're 20% better if yes on that alone. Can Roughie stay healthy and hold his spot? Will Bevo be tempted to get creative with ruck duties? Or random forward setups, now that we actually boast two genuine key forwards?

Only six months to go boys and girls.

Twodogs
20-10-2017, 02:20 PM
Tall. Our team will look (and be) tall for the first time since the days of Dempsey, Sandilands, Quinlan, Round, Templeton, Salmon, Hampshire (imagine having two gun ruckmen like Dempsey and Round and a developing ruckman like Hampshire on the list at the same time? sigh...)

Bulldog4life
20-10-2017, 02:22 PM
Of course it all depends on pre season form and injuries but here goes. ps: I have put Cloke in initially but again it just depends on form.

HB: Morris Trengove Wood
HF: JJ Cloke Dale
F: Daniel Boyd Dahlhaus
R: Roughead Bontempelli Liberatore
Int: McLean Picken Jong Dickson
Unlucky :Suckling Dunkley Crozier Williams Scache Young English Campbell

bulldogtragic
20-10-2017, 02:24 PM
Before 2pm yesterday, many of us were talking about Adams, Cordy or Young up forward with Trengove coming in. I wonder if that's still the case.

Twodogs
20-10-2017, 04:39 PM
Before 2pm yesterday, many of us were talking about Adams, Cordy or Young up forward with Trengove coming in. I wonder if that's still the case.

Maybe this is our chance to settle a few blokes in positions we want them to own for us for the next few years. Adams at fullback would be good for a start now we don't have to think of being in a position where we have to play him forward. Maybe we decide that Schache is going to be our full forward so we plant him there and Tom develops more as our ruck/forward which is a role he seems more suited to than the go to man in the forward line.

Rocket Science
20-10-2017, 04:51 PM
Apprenticing in one position and actually being left there? Are you nuts?

In-game flexibility's a handy tool for the coach but hopefully improving our quality and depth in certain areas means others mightn't need to be deployed away from their natural roles to plug other holes so regularly.

Twodogs
20-10-2017, 05:55 PM
Apprenticing in one position and actually being left there? Are you nuts?

In-game flexibility's a handy tool for the coach but hopefully improving our quality and depth in certain areas means others mightn't need to be deployed away from their natural roles to plug other holes so regularly.

I lie living in the past. You don't have to pay to go there, things are always better and cheaper, we always win.
It's awesome.

Go_Dogs
20-10-2017, 09:01 PM

For me it is.

Trengove and Cordy enough height down back, particularly with Wood, Biggs, Crozier and Williams who are all known for their ability in the air.

It means Roughead and Morris miss my side, Boyd rucks and Adams plays forward. Schache and Trengove can chop out in the ruck and we can still play 2 talls forward for large parts.

Also the reason I have Dahl, JJ and Hunter forward for larger parts with Dale playing the medium marking role - he's shown the nous to lead up and also find space in tight areas.

LostDoggy
23-10-2017, 10:24 PM
Adams-Trengove-Morris
Wood-Cordy-Williams
JJ-Macrae-Hunter
Dahl-Cloke-McLean
Picken-Schache-Dickson

Boyd-Bont-Libba

Wallis-Crozier-Daniel-Dale

Most have Trengove at CHB but I see him as a natural last line guy. I love the idea of Cloke and Schache as a hard running KPF combo creating lots of space and stretching opposition defences.

The Doctor
23-10-2017, 10:46 PM
B: Morris, Trengove, Wood

HB: Biggs, Adams, Johannisen

C: Hunter, Liberatore, Macrae

HF: Mclean, Bontempelli, Dale

F: Boyd, Schache, Dickson

R: Roughead, Wallis, Daniel

Int: Picken, Crozier, Smith, Dahlhaus

Emg: Cordy, Dunkley, Williams

Ghost Dog
23-10-2017, 10:56 PM
Adams-Trengove-Morris
Wood-Cordy-Williams
JJ-Macrae-Hunter
Dahl-Cloke-McLean
Picken-Schache-Dickson

Boyd-Bont-Libba

Wallis-Crozier-Daniel-Dale

Most have Trengove at CHB but I see him as a natural last line guy. I love the idea of Cloke and Schache as a hard running KPF combo creating lots of space and stretching opposition defences.

How is Dad doing these days? Note the addition of the beard. How about his footy?

bornadog
04-12-2017, 04:36 PM
AFL.com.au has had a go at best team:

B: Dale Morris, Marcus Adams, Easton Wood
HB: Jason Johannisen, Jackson Trengove, Bailey Williams
C: Jack Macrae, Tom Liberatore, Matt Suckling
HF: Toby McLean, Tom Boyd, Tory Dickson
F: Luke Dahlhaus, Jack Redpath, Bailey Dale
Foll: Jordan Roughead, Marcus Bontempelli, Lachie Hunter
I/C: Liam Picken, Zaine Cordy, Caleb Daniel, Hayden Crozier

DEPTH

General defenders: Shane Biggs, Brad Lynch, Ed Richards, Roarke Smith
Key defenders: Kieran Collins, Nathan Mullenger-McHugh, Aaron Naughton, Fletcher Roberts, Lewis Young
Midfielders: Josh Dunkley, Lin Jong, Patrick Lipinski, Callum Porter, Mitch Wallis, Lukas Webb
General forwards: Fergus Greene, Mitch Honeychurch
Key forwards: Josh Schache
Ruckmen: Tom Campbell, Tim English

NOTES: Recruits Jackson Trengove and Hayden Crozier should slot straight into the backline, while ex-Lion Josh Schache will face stiff competition for a spot in attack. Marcus Adams will be hoping his foot issues are behind him, as the West Australian has impressed with his ability to curb the League's gun key forwards. Superstar Marcus Bontempelli will lead a midfield that should see more impact from third-year playmakers Toby McLean and Bailey Dale. Second-year ruckman Tim English should get more opportunities to display his vast skillset. Of the draftees, key defender Aaron Naughton looks the only one ready to step straight into senior footy. - Ryan Davidson

Mofra
04-12-2017, 05:47 PM
Fair go, still not sold on Redpath and Biggs is very stiff

Twodogs
04-12-2017, 05:56 PM
Pretty good.

Is Lin Jong fit to play from round One? You'd think he'd play more senior footy than not but I can't think of many other changes.

boydogs
04-12-2017, 11:26 PM
Biggs, Wallis, Schache for Williams, Crozier, Redpath

Twodogs
04-12-2017, 11:35 PM

Schasche may well get first chop before Redpath.

Bulldog Revolution
05-12-2017, 12:25 AM
Biggs has been ahead of Williams on exposed form

I'd have Redpath likely ahead of Schache, and Wallis ahead of Crozier

Would we select Cordy, Trengrove and Adams, plus Morris and Wood?

GVGjr
05-12-2017, 06:43 AM

One tall player more than ideal. I;m not sure who they leave out.

Regarding Redpath over Schache, while that is a likely scenario Redpath being part of the leadership group might swing it his way.
From a games experience he hasn't played that many more games than Schache.

Teams selections will be a challenge because we have a bit more depth. Good problem to have.

Bulldog4life
05-12-2017, 07:00 PM
Redders will miss the first game due to his 2 game appeal last season which was upped to 3 games.

KT31
06-12-2017, 12:06 AM

This for me as well, great to have the competition and depth though.

Twodogs
06-12-2017, 12:08 AM
Redders will miss the first game due to his 2 game appeal last season which was upped to 3 games.

Yeah, you're right. He has too. Schacse gets first dibs and kicks ten.

1eyedog
06-12-2017, 12:31 AM
One tall player more than ideal. I;m not sure who they leave out.

Regarding Redpath over Schache, while that is a likely scenario Redpath being part of the leadership group might swing it his way.
From a games experience he hasn't played that many more games than Schache.

Teams selections will be a challenge because we have a bit more depth. Good problem to have.

Morris, Wood and Cordy can all play on small to 3rd tall forwards. If they're the three best mid-sized defenders they should all play.

I hope Redpath being in the leadership group does not sway the MC re. his selection. He is clearly in that group due to his off-field personality, the fact that he is a good trainer and probably on field support, but he has in no way convinced me that he can cut it at the level as a footballer.

Avoid the rush
11-12-2017, 07:34 AM

Or just maybe one of the above is set to become a forward and rip the competition to shreds. Wood be great to see!!!

jeemak
11-12-2017, 02:25 PM

Oh yes, I remember the heinous and violent act he committed.

Twodogs
11-12-2017, 07:56 PM
Oh yes, I remember the heinous and violent act he committed.

It's funny how Phil Davis brings out the violence in everyone. I don't even think my mum would be able to resist giving him a quick jab to remember her by if she had to walk past him. She'd just have to leave the washing line out as he walked past, how would you be able to resist it?

And it's not even that heinous act of violence he visited on Davis that is the crap(pest) thing about this whole situation. It's the fact he was given an extra week for daring to appeal his bullshit two week sentence for pushing someone over! Where is the justice in that? You can't go punishing people for standing up for their rights.

And all this happened on the night that his teammate was kicked in the face with no punishment for the transgresser.

choconmientay
13-12-2017, 10:48 AM
This is FoxSports Western Bulldogs best 22 for 2018. Would you agree?

BEST 22:
B: Marcus Adams, Dale Morris, Jackson Trengove
HB: Hayden Crozier, Easton Wood, Matt Suckling
C: Jason Johannisen, Marcus Bontempelli, Jack Macrae
HF: Toby McLean, Josh Schache, Caleb Daniel
F: Luke Dahlhaus, Tom Boyd, Liam Picken
FOLL: Jordan Roughead, Lachie Hunter, Tom Liberatore
I/C: Bailey Dale, Josh Dunkley, Mitch Wallis, Shane Biggs
EMG: Lin Jong, Clay Smith, Lewis Young

OTHERS: Tom Campbell, Kieran Collins, Zaine Cordy, Tory Dickson, Tim English, Fergus Greene, Mitch Honeychurch, Patrick Lipinski, Aaron Naughton, Callum Porter, Jack Redpath, Ed Richards, Fletcher Roberts, Lukas Webb, Bailey Williams

ROOKIES: Billy Gowers, Bradley Lynch, Nathan Mullenger-McHugh, Roarke Smith

Best 22: How the Western Bulldogs fits its key-position talent into one team in season 2018 (https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/best-22-how-the-western-bulldogs-fits-its-keyposition-talent-into-one-team-in-season-2018/news-story/4eb52f30342e0304eb37aa1379a75626)

IN AN era where the game is getting smaller, the Bulldogs have gone in the other direction.

The 2016 premiers went big during the off-season, literally, recruiting two key-position players in Josh Schache and Jackson Trengove via trades and a third at the draft in Aaron Naughton.

It means the club enters the 2018 season with 18 players on its list at 190cm or taller.

Given the squad’s list profile, it will be interesting to see how coach Luke Beveridge fits such size into one team — particularly defensively, where there is a lot of height to play with.

Marcus Adams, Dale Morris, Jackson Trengove and Easton Wood can all be considered key defenders who are likely to push for a regular place in the senior side, while Lewis Young, Kieran Collins, Zaine Cordy, Fletcher Roberts and Naughton will also be in the frame.

Up forward, Beveridge will likely face a similar conundrum.

Tom Boyd will be finally hoping to string together a consistent season, while Schache joins from the Lions in what will be an intriguing young combination inside 50.

The 22-year-old Boyd had held the record for most goals in an under 18s championships campaign, before the 20-year-old Schache broke that landmark a couple of years later.

How will they fit in the same forward line? Only time will tell.

THE LOCK

He’s among the best players in the game and Marcus Bontempelli is only getting better. He enjoyed another superb campaign last season, averaging 22.9 disposals and 6.3 tackles per game. He was among the best contested players in the league, while he was ultra classy on the outside. He also pushed forward, kicking 20 goals and adding 19 goal assists from 22 games. It’s hard to believe Bontempelli is only 22 years of age.

THE BUBBLE

A horrible leg injury kept Mitch Wallis out of the Western Bulldogs team until Round 9 last season, but he ended the year in the VFL. The tenacious midfielder featured in only 12 matches for the year and averaged 20.7 disposals per game. He saw his clearance numbers drop, slipping out of the side for the final two matches of the campaign. At his best, he’s clearly in the Bulldogs’ senior side. Now, Luke Beveridge will be hoping he can return to that form. You’d hate to see him drop out of the team once again next season.

THE RISING STAR

It was another promising season for Bailey Dale. He managed 16 games, playing as a high half forward who had impressive stints through the midfield. The 21-year-old is ultra classy and combines an innate ball winning ability with a knack of making things happen inside 50. He averaged 17.2 disposals per game last year, while he also added 17 goals from 16 games. Expect to see bigger and better things from Dale in 2018.

IT’S A BIG YEAR FOR ...

It was a weird season for Tom Liberatore. He spent a month out of the team midway through the campaign, dropped to the VFL by Luke Beveridge, but he never really recovered his best form after that. He averaged only 17.2 disposals per game, with his numbers dropping in most key statistical categories. Out of contract at the end of next season, it could be another intriguing campaign looming for the tough midfielder.

bornadog
13-12-2017, 11:01 AM
Dickson at his best is best 22. Saw him at the social club function and he looks in ripping condition. Slimmed down a bit and very athletic looking.

Dale Morris is not a fullback and should be back pocket. I don't like Wood at CHB. With the talls coming in I would hope Wood gets back to being an intercept player and not having to play tall anymore.

Twodogs
13-12-2017, 02:29 PM
The 22-year-old Boyd had held the record for most goals in an under 18s championships campaign, before the 20-year-old Schache broke that landmark a couple of years later.

Does anyone know what those figures are?

choconmientay
13-12-2017, 03:28 PM
Does anyone know what those figures are?

Must have something to do with this ...

He won the Larke Medal for his performance in the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships in 2015, where he also he kicked a record 24 goals. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josh_Schache)
but I couldn't find how many did Tom Boyd scored before Schache.

Twodogs
13-12-2017, 04:09 PM
Thanks Choc. 24 isn't a huge number for a record amount, does it say how many games he played?

Axe Man
13-12-2017, 04:41 PM
Thanks Choc. 24 isn't a huge number for a record amount, does it say how many games he played?

I think he played 6 games and kicked 2, 8, 2, 5, 6, 1.

More info here (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_AFL_Under_18_Championships)

Interesting to note we have the All Australian Full Back (Collins) and Full Forward (Schache) from 2015. Would be fantastic if both could take some strides forward next season.

GVGjr
13-12-2017, 08:12 PM

Interesting to note we have the All Australian Full Back (Collins) and Full Forward (Schache) from 2015. Would be fantastic if both could take some strides forward next season.

We also bib on Ben Keays but Brisbane matched the bid and we then selected Dunkley

Twodogs
13-12-2017, 09:17 PM

Thanks Axey.

Looking at that link Tom Boyd played 2 games (2 and 3) in the 2013 Championships and kicked 9 goals. He missed the last 2 games with injury (4 and 5) and he isn't mentioned in the best or the goal kickers in game 1.

GVGjr
17-12-2017, 08:46 AM
I still think the big challenge for us is kicking winning scores each week.

With that in mind how do we set up a productive forward line? Do we need to rob JJ from the back line and Dahlhaus from the midfield to spend more time forward?

HF: Dahlhaus - Boyd - Johannisen
FF: Dickson - Schache - McLean

Could that sort of set-up work?

We would have Bontempelli, Picken, Dunkley, Wallis and Dale rotating through midfield as well.

boydogs
17-12-2017, 12:01 PM

I'd rather Picken spend more time forward than midfield, and Johannisen use his dash off half back

Can always change it up during games and with form and injuries

Go_Dogs
18-12-2017, 09:39 AM
I still think the big challenge for us is kicking winning scores each week.

With that in mind how do we set up a productive forward line? Do we need to rob JJ from the back line and Dahlhaus from the midfield to spend more time forward?

Could that sort of set-up work?

We would have Bontempelli, Picken, Dunkley, Wallis and Dale rotating through midfield as well.

I'm pretty keen for Dahl to spend more time forward given his ability at ground level and limited options who can replicate that kind of tenacity he has. On McLean, I see him playing more midfield minutes again and not spending nearly as much time forward.

I like the idea of Boyd spending more minutes forward, but also see the appeal of him spending a large portion of the season as our #1 ruck, and getting a chop out from Trengove and/or Schache. If we have a fit list, picking a best 22 is incredibly hard and we have enough versatility to have any of about 15 players spend time up front over the course of the year.

I keep coming back to a 22 that will have a defensive group that's never beaten in the air, a midfield that combines power inside with a hint of pace out the contest and otherwise elite runners, with a forward group who can pressure and find space in the F50 with smart little leads. On the basis everyone is fit and at their best:-

Morris, Trengove, Cordy
Williams, Adams, Wood
Suckling, Jong, Macrae
Hunter, Schache, Johannisen
Dahlhaus, Dale, Dickson
Boyd, Bontempelli, Liberatore
Biggs, Daniel, Dunkley, McLean

bornadog
18-12-2017, 10:00 AM
Morris, Trengove, Cordy
Williams, Adams, Wood
Suckling, Jong, Macrae
Dahlhaus, Dale, Dickson

GD, you don't see a spot for Roughead?

ledge
18-12-2017, 12:13 PM

I see Crozier ahead of Biggs as well

Go_Dogs
18-12-2017, 01:00 PM

For team balance, I see Boyd as the better option.

bornadog
18-12-2017, 03:43 PM
For team balance, I see Boyd as the better option.

Roughead also has a new role - see here
(https://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?17659-Roughead-joins-AFLW-coaching-staff&p=587184#post587184)

1eyedog
22-12-2017, 12:20 PM
I see Crozier ahead of Biggs as well

Do we want a neat player down there or a true defender? It may come down to structure and the other players down there.

LostDoggy
22-12-2017, 04:19 PM
Morris, Trengove, Cordy
Williams, Adams, Wood
Suckling, Jong, Macrae
Dahlhaus, Dale, Dickson

That is a very intriguing team. Love the back 6. Dale at FF does give a whole new perspectve to our foward set up. Do feel that Hunter, JJ, Dahl in support are a little light on collectively in terms of body and marking strength. I'd slip Hunter up to the wing in place of Suckling and move Picken into a foward flank/pocket.

I'm a Jong fan but feel that McLean offers more at present and can hurt more with his disposal. I'd start him in the mddle, with Jong fighting with Wallis and others listed for an i/c role.

GVGjr
23-12-2017, 05:22 PM
In terms of team balance, does the list look a bit light on for genuine midfielders? We have quite a few that can rotate through the middle which was a strength of ours in 2016 but I just think we are missing one or two midfielders.

Twodogs
23-12-2017, 07:07 PM
In terms of team balance, does the list look a bit light on for genuine midfielders? We have quite a few that can rotate through the middle which was a strength of ours in 2016 but I just think we are missing one or two midfielders.

I think we could do with a couple more quality users of the ball. You can never have enough good disposers that have the knack of getring the ball in their hands.

The Bulldogs Bite
24-12-2017, 01:28 PM

Yep - which is why I wanted us to target mids.

Bontempelli needs support now and in the future. He will get it from a fit Libba but we need one more.

Webby
24-12-2017, 01:48 PM

I wouldn't underestimate Bailey Dale on this front. I reckon he's poised to take a big step in 2018. Libba will be twice, no, three times the player he was in 2017 and Mitch Wallis can only be better placed with an injury free run at a pre-season this time out.

Toby McLean is stepping into his prime, Bont and Macrae are A grade and Daniel will just keep on going.

Another who I'm really, really bullish about is Ed Richards. He has a surprisingly good tank for a kid in his first pre season. He'll start down back, but I expect him to push towards midfield in the next few years. Very, very good user of the footy, too.

Finally, Bailey Williams is an interesting wing option with a pretty big body. What we've really lacked is tall defenders and I reckon we've covered that, now. One draft at a time & I reckon we have put together a pretty good mix.

Midfielders are a premium and aren't all that readily available at any real value.

Go_Dogs
27-12-2017, 09:30 PM
Finally, Bailey Williams is an interesting wing option with a pretty big body. What we've really lacked is tall defenders and I reckon we've covered that, now. One draft at a time & I reckon we have put together a pretty good mix.

Midfielders are a premium and aren't all that readily available at any real value.

Bailey Williams is an interesting one. I like him down back because he's good in the air, but he could offer us a lot with his running playing further up the field. I wonder where the coaching group see him developing longer term, although suspect with Murph and Boyd gone and JJ a chance to play more forward, Williams stays back in 2018.

S Coast Simon
28-12-2017, 01:39 PM
Crozier Adams Morris
Biggs Young Wood
Suckling McRae JJ
Dale Schache Daniel
Hunter Boyd Dal

Trengove Bont Libba

Picken Cordy McLean Jong

Wallis Dunkley Roughead Lipinski Smith Roberts English. All very good replacements

I would like to see Trengove in the ruck he was great when Rider went down. Would not surprise me to see Bevo use him this way. Also like the addition of Schache the kid can play and if all sorted in the head will be a gun. Morris has first dibs until someone takes it from him. He will not be set aside you will have to move him with a dozer if you want his position. Crozier can take Eddie and co in the small bp position. Suckling and JJ freed up a bit to run and kick into our 50 with some serious targets to aim at. Hunter and Dal running around the big boys feet snapping goals.

Twodogs
28-12-2017, 04:32 PM
Crozier Adams Morris
Biggs Young Wood
Suckling McRae JJ
Dale Schache Daniel
Hunter Boyd Dal

Trengove Bont Libba

Picken Cordy McLean Jong

Wallis Dunkley Roughead Lipinski Smith Roberts English. All very good replacements

I would like to see Trengove in the ruck he was great when Rider went down. Would not surprise me to see Bevo use him this way. Also like the addition of Schache the kid can play and if all sorted in the head will be a gun. Morris has first dibs until someone takes it from him. He will not be set aside you will have to move him with a dozer if you want his position. Crozier can take Eddie and co in the small bp position. Suckling and JJ freed up a bit to run and kick into our 50 with some serious targets to aim at. Hunter and Dal running around the big boys feet snapping goals.

It's a good team. Most of the senior players left out would walk into most other sides.

Looking at our best team if we can stay healthy (we must be due a good year with injury from the footy gods) it's hard to see a spot for some guys we assume would be a walk up start. Mitch Wallis is a good example although he will find a way to get into the team.

We might have a year where we have lots of good problems to solve like how to fit 26 players into a 22 man team.

Go_Dogs
28-12-2017, 05:06 PM
Crozier Adams Morris
Biggs Young Wood
Suckling McRae JJ
Dale Schache Daniel
Hunter Boyd Dal

Trengove Bont Libba

Picken Cordy McLean Jong

Nice work, very different to my effort and shows how flexible our squad has become.

Was at the cricket with a friend who supports the Power this week and he was a huge wrap for Trengove in the ruck for the exact reason you’ve mentioned. Would be a very big call to move him into the #1 role given we have Boyd (who I now have as our first option) along with Roughead and Campbell, but he adds another big body who can play at ground level.

Twodogs
28-12-2017, 06:32 PM
Nice work, very different to my effort and shows how flexible our squad has become.

Was at the cricket with a friend who supports the Power this week and he was a huge wrap for Trengove in the ruck for the exact reason you’ve mentioned. Would be a very big call to move him into the #1 role given we have Boyd (who I now have as our first option) along with Roughead and Campbell, but he adds another big body who can play at ground level.

A couple of Port supporters have mentioned to me that Tengrove's leg speed was a bit of a concern for them over the last couple of years. Did your friend happen to mention anything about that at all?

Go_Dogs
29-12-2017, 10:30 AM
A couple of Port supporters have mentioned to me that Tengrove's leg speed was a bit of a concern for them over the last couple of years. Did your friend happen to mention anything about that at all?

No he didn't, but it was a fairly quick chat about Trengove.

He probably was a victim of them going with a more mobile backline with a few players who punch above their size being the cornerstones of it and I don't think he's ever been regarded for his speed, so what you've heard stacks up.

Eastdog
30-12-2017, 04:13 PM
Yeah, you're right. He has too. Schacse gets first dibs and kicks ten.

10 to Schache in game 1 now that would be brilliant.

The headline in the paper "Schache Brillance as Bulldog draw first blood for 2018".

jeemak
04-01-2018, 01:08 AM
I really struggle with this year in year out at this time of year, but I'm a bit footy starved so here goes:

Morris, Adams, JJ
Wood, Trengove, Suckling
Hunter, Liberatore, Dale
Dahlhaus, Bontempelli, McLean
Dickson, Boyd, Picken

Roughead, Macrae, Wallis

Cordy, Biggs, Daniel, Crozier

It's a bloody hard exercise given our penchant for having players play versatile.

A major call out is Bont playing CHF in place of Stringer, but having coverage from all of Cordy, Roughead, Adams and Boyd when we need him to go into the middle each game. Having Bont as the CHF/midfield option also allows us to manage talls who are able to cover a couple of positions each as required, whereas Stringer wasn't able to do this due to his fitness and inconsistency.

JJ can play forward sometimes, allowing Biggs to cover in defence. Crozier can play both ends of the ground and can use it reasonably well.

What I've put on the table is a fairly tall side compared to what we're used to, but I'm not too worried about pace due to the ability of the talls to cover multiple positions and be covered by runners or versatile players who can all cover multiple positions off the bench.

GVGjr
06-01-2018, 12:11 PM
I really struggle with this year in year out at this time of year, but I'm a bit footy starved so here goes:

Morris, Adams, JJ
Wood, Trengove, Suckling
Hunter, Liberatore, Dale
Dahlhaus, Bontempelli, McLean
Dickson, Boyd, Picken

Roughead, Macrae, Wallis

Cordy, Biggs, Daniel, Crozier

It's a bloody hard exercise given our penchant for having players play versatile.

A major call out is Bont playing CHF in place of Stringer, but having coverage from all of Cordy, Roughead, Adams and Boyd when we need him to go into the middle each game. Having Bont as the CHF/midfield option also allows us to manage talls who are able to cover a couple of positions each as required, whereas Stringer wasn't able to do this due to his fitness and inconsistency.

JJ can play forward sometimes, allowing Biggs to cover in defence. Crozier can play both ends of the ground and can use it reasonably well.

What I've put on the table is a fairly tall side compared to what we're used to, but I'm not too worried about pace due to the ability of the talls to cover multiple positions and be covered by runners or versatile players who can all cover multiple positions off the bench.

Real thought provoking points Jeemak

Regarding having versatile players it certainly seemed to be a priority for us with our trades.
Trengove providing us the option of playing him in key positions in defence, attack and even in the ruck which should be ideal for us. Hopefully he can be a solid contributor.
Crozier is a player that we had high on our radar a few years back but obviously never really lost the sight of. Like Trengove, he can play in multiple positions but also importantly he will add a bit to our kicking skills.
Schache indicated in an interview that he had been sounded out about playing in other positions which at the very least I'm assuming means he will need to be able to do some work in the ruck as well as playing forward.

Playing Bontempelli as a forward/midfielder rather than the other way around is another interesting suggestion and it has merit. I'd say it's a difficult decision to make for the coach but one he might need to.

Players that spring to mind that might be regarded as unlucky not to be included in your suggested 22 include Dunkley, Jong, Young, Schache, Smith and Williams. This looks promising from a depth perspective.

dukedog
14-01-2018, 09:20 AM
JJ Adams Morris
Biggs Trengove Wood
Dunkley McRae Wallis
Dale Schache Daniel
Hunter Boyd Dal

Rough Bont Libba

Picken Cordy McLean Jong
I'd love to see English bulked up and Young getting some games over rough.

A good run with injuries would be nice.

Can't wait to see shack with Boyd. Hard to defend those two.

Bulldog Joe
15-01-2018, 03:12 PM
I see a few different option proposed for our starting line-up and it is clear that there is plenty of depth in the squad.

Looking at the team above (and not criticising the poster)

Surely Crozier is expected to get games or his recruitment is just a waste.
I expect Bailey Williams to be a regular.
Lewis Young showed plenty at the end of last season.
Redpath must be knocking on the door.
Suckling is more than likely to play most games.
Clay Smith would be automatic if he finds 2016 form
Tory Dickson is an automatic if fit.
Lin Jong was a regular until injured.

Lipinski had a promising 1st season despite a few injuries.
English must be pushing for selection with the skill he brings
New draftees Naughton, Richards and Porter could all push for selection.

We have a deep squad, just need a few more to join Bont in the elite category.

Twodogs
15-01-2018, 05:21 PM
I see a few different option proposed for our starting line-up and it is clear that there is plenty of depth in the squad.

Yep that's precisely what we need. I think Caleb Daniel could step up to the elite bracket in the next couple of years, who else would you be looking at?

Mantis
15-01-2018, 05:30 PM

Who goes out?

Eastdog
15-01-2018, 08:23 PM
Who goes out?

Yes it is a good question. Big decisions to be made by the match committee this season.

Smith and Dickson are a bit vulnerable.

Bulldog Joe
15-01-2018, 11:46 PM
Yep that's precisely what we need. I think Caleb Daniel could step up to the elite bracket in the next couple of years, who else would you be looking at?

The likely elite players are

Liberatore (was there before the knee injury) - just needs the right head space.
Macrae - is almost there
Johannisen - could easily step up with his run and carry.
McLean - tracking very well

We also need at least one of Tim Boyd or Josh Schache to get there.

Bulldog Joe
15-01-2018, 11:48 PM
Who goes out?

Obviously depends on who just wins the spot, but the depth means the internal competition is strong. Should eliminate complacency among the group.

Eastdog
16-01-2018, 12:02 AM
Obviously depends on who just wins the spot, but the depth means the internal competition is strong. Should eliminate complacency among the group.

With that in mind I hope it will really jolts our players who under performed last season.

dukedog
16-01-2018, 08:38 PM

That's exactly it. Who goes out.

Eastdog
16-01-2018, 08:41 PM
That's exactly it. Who goes out.

Heaps of choice isn't there. A good dilemma.

GVGjr
21-01-2018, 10:44 AM
B: Biggs - Trengove - Morris
HB: Crozier - Adams - Wood
C: Macrae - Wallis - Hunter
F: Dickson - Schache - McLean
R: Roughead - Bontempelli - Liberatore

Int: Dale - Daniel - Cordy - Picken

Res: Smith, Dunkley, Young, Suckling, Jong, Honeychurch, Redpath, Campbell

It's very hard to get the best 22 right.
I know this won't be popular but on last years form there are some question marks on Morris, Picken and Dickson and you would have to wonder if Roughead is still first choice for the ruck.

Twodogs
21-01-2018, 11:03 AM

I know this won't be popular but on last years form there are some question marks on Morris, Picken and Dickson and you would have to wonder if Roughead is still first choice for the ruck.

I don't care about popular. I care about winning enough games to get us in the 8 and then winning a flag anf if those guys can't help us get to that place then it's see you later and thanks for all the fish. NEXT.

bornadog
21-01-2018, 11:59 AM

I like this team.

Twodogs
21-01-2018, 12:41 PM
I like this team.

Just looking at the interchange and emergencies you'd have to think most of them would get a game with most clubs.

And five players who played in our premiership team can't get into the 18.

Rocket Science
21-01-2018, 03:47 PM

Like this a lot, but suspect you're on the money with those caveats.

If Dickson doesn't perform he's in the most strife, there'll be no nursing him this year, too many others who can spell up forward but apply themselves better elsewhere.

Morris, we'll rely upon in spurts when Dale's just Dale, but reckon he'll be managed this season and better for it.

Picken must rediscover something close his 2016 self or he's also stuffed, though unlike Dickson might be afforded more rope for his ability to play a number of roles. He needs to find one he can own.

If Crozier can stick think that'll make it a less forgiving campaign for Suckling this year.

Going to be a very interesting year for Roughy. As much depends on the form and availability of Trengove, Schache & Boyd as his own.

Hopefully Dunkley & Jong will make life hard for the selectors by doing everything they can to barge their way into this team.

GVGjr
21-01-2018, 06:32 PM
Like this a lot, but suspect you're on the money with those caveats.

If Dickson doesn't perform he's in the most strife, there'll be no nursing him this year, too many others who can spell up forward but apply themselves better elsewhere.

Morris, we'll rely upon in spurts when Dale's just Dale, but reckon he'll be managed this season and better for it.

Picken must rediscover something close his 2016 self or he's also stuffed, though unlike Dickson might be afforded more rope for his ability to play a number of roles. He needs to find one he can own.

If Crozier can stick think that'll make it a less forgiving campaign for Suckling this year.

Going to be a very interesting year for Roughy. As much depends on the form and availability of Trengove, Schache & Boyd as his own.

Hopefully Dunkley & Jong will make life hard for the selectors by doing everything they can to barge their way into this team.

I should have added that Williams and Roberts offer something extra with depth. Roberts might one one to allow Trengove to ruck.
Williams could take Croziers position across half back.
Wood can play as a 3rd tall defender if Morris was injured which could make room for Suckling and/or Williams.

I think Suckling will be in our best 22 because the coach wants him