PDA

View Full Version : The Moving/Rolling Trading & Delisting Thread 2018

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9

bornadog
19-07-2018, 12:12 PM
What's the success rate of teams who have landed a big free agent?

one example - Brian Lake, three premierships.

Axe Man
19-07-2018, 12:14 PM
one example - Brian Lake, three premierships.

Not a free agent.

macca
19-07-2018, 12:27 PM
Not a free agent.
What did we get trading lake ? Hawthorn hit the jackpot with that trade

jeemak
19-07-2018, 12:44 PM

Please don't start this up again!

:)

bornadog
19-07-2018, 01:34 PM
Not a free agent.

I thought he was, but you may be right, it was going to be the following year.

Axe Man
19-07-2018, 02:04 PM

I thought he was, but you may be right, it was going to be the following year.

Jeemak is right, it's been done to death on here, but for old times sake: Lake + 27 for 21 (Hrovat) and 43 (Stevens).

Obviously most think we should have done better there. Had he walked under free agency a year later we would likely have got nothing due to his age (see Jarrad Waite).

Axe Man
19-07-2018, 02:13 PM
What's the success rate of teams who have landed a big free agent?

Don't think any big name free agents have played in a flag have they?

Buddy and Betts have gone close. Dangerfield not as yet (although not technically a free agent). Goddard, Thomas, Dal Santo, Waite, Higgins no where near. Wells and Mayne not yet. Suckling would have but for injury. Although some of these aren't exactly big names.

Remi Moses
19-07-2018, 02:15 PM

Particularly Sedat

divvydan
19-07-2018, 08:37 PM
Don't think any big name free agents have played in a flag have they?

Buddy and Betts have gone close. Dangerfield not as yet (although not technically a free agent). Goddard, Thomas, Dal Santo, Waite, Higgins no where near. Wells and Mayne not yet. Suckling would have but for injury. Although some of these aren't exactly big names.

James Frawley probably the most notable. Went to Hawthorn under FA and played in their final premiership team. Compensation netted Angus Brayshaw for Melbourne.

Happy Days
19-07-2018, 09:02 PM
@SamLandsberger
10m10 minutes ago
More
Some @westernbulldogs contract news coming to @superfooty shortly ... ✍��

Any ideas?

divvydan
19-07-2018, 09:04 PM
Toby Mclean, signed on until 2022.

Rocket Science
19-07-2018, 09:06 PM
Wow. Good news.

I'd forgotten what it looks like.

Remi Moses
19-07-2018, 09:15 PM
Great news . Is on the way of being elite

Dancin' Douggy
19-07-2018, 09:28 PM

Worst trade in history

KT31
22-07-2018, 12:06 AM
Great news, now the Bonts.

GVGjr
22-07-2018, 12:41 PM
Has Greene done enough to earn another contract given he's been an emergency a couple of times now and is likely to play in the seniors in the next 2 weeks.

westdog54
22-07-2018, 01:53 PM
Has Greene done enough to earn another contract given he's been an emergency a couple of times now and is likely to play in the seniors in the next 2 weeks.

You'd have to think so.

azabob
22-07-2018, 01:53 PM

I really think he has. I like him. With Lipinski moving towards more midfield time, I see a place for him on the list. Especially with Dickson ongoing injuries.

I'm not sure why he hasn't managed to get a game yet. Clearly something in his game Beveridge doesn't like. Maybe he isn't involved enough for long enough?

In 2017 he struggled with injury but when he played in the second half of the season he showed he has the ability to impact the game and impact the scoreboard.

Hopefully he gets a look in V Port Adelaide next week.

GVGjr
22-07-2018, 04:44 PM
I really think he has. I like him. With Lipinski moving towards more midfield time, I see a place for him on the list. Especially with Dickson ongoing injuries.

I'm not sure why he hasn't managed to get a game yet. Clearly something in his game Beveridge doesn't like. Maybe he isn't involved enough for long enough?

In 2017 he struggled with injury but when he played in the second half of the season he showed he has the ability to impact the game and impact the scoreboard.

Hopefully he gets a look in V Port Adelaide next week.

Perhaps the thought behind not playing him this week was to have a less hostile environment to play in front of.
I'd be giving him another year or two given he is very young in terms of footy experience. He needs a good 5kg on him

Ozza
23-07-2018, 12:10 PM
Its sad to say this about some...given they were Premiership players for us...but I'd be looking to cut fairly deep this year.

Jordan Roughead: 2018 (FA) - One year deal (insurance for English & Boyd).
Luke Dahl: 2018 (FA) - Re-sign.
Mitch Wallis: 2018 (FA) - Re-Sign
Tom Liberatore: 2018 (FA) Re-Sign
Dale Morris: 2018 (FA) - One year.
Lin Jong: 2018 - Delist/Trade
Shane Biggs: 2018 - Delist
Matthew Suckling: 2018 - Re-sign
Tory Dickson: 2018 - Delist
Keiran Collins: 2018 - Delist and Rookie
Fergus Greene: 2018 - Re-sign 1 year.
Mitch Honeychurch: 2018 - Delist
Tom Campbell: 2018 - Delist

Roarke Smith: 2018 (Rookie) - Delist
Bradley Lynch: 2018 (Rookie) - Sign 1 year.
Nathan Mc-Mc: 2018 (Rookie) - Delist
Bill Gowers: 2018 (Rookie) - Sign.

bornadog
23-07-2018, 12:29 PM
Its sad to say this about some...given they were Premiership players for us...but I'd be looking to cut fairly deep this year.

I would seriously consider saying goodbye to Morris. He has been one of our all time great backman, but I think he is keeping out a few of these younger blokes, and he is not getting any younger. I think Cordy should take his role as the third tall, and that way we can play Naughton and Young in the backline.

Morris can't play tall and he has lost a bit of pace to play on the smaller guys.

GVGjr
23-07-2018, 12:52 PM
Can we play Morris and Wood in the backline together?
Neither of them have the kicking skills or pace we need and I think as 3rd tall defenders they might struggle.

bornadog
23-07-2018, 12:55 PM
Neither of them have the kicking skills or pace we need and I think as 3rd tall defenders they might struggle.

We shouldn't be playing Wood as a tall defender. I want to see him get back to running and bouncing the ball off HBF like he use to.

Sedat
23-07-2018, 01:01 PM

Like it but I'd let Dahl seek his deal of a lifetime at Geelong and bank what should be good compensation (something akin to an early 2nd round pick for a premiership player in his prime on 700k a season).

Dahl is symptomatic of our successful run and also our subsequent drop-off. This year has shown in no uncertain terms that we simply cannot afford to carry too many limited ball users in the same team moving forward, and we also must start to get the balance right with our midfield. When considering the Richmond game plan and how small pressure forwards are rolled gold in the last 18 months, Dahl has been underwhelming. Clearly the losses of Dickson, Smith and Picken have not been adequately covered in our F50 by Dahl, Honeychurch and others - either defensively or hitting the scoreboard.

Morris is a keeper for mine. His 2018 season has been badly compromised by injury, and a free run in pre-season will see him get close to his best again. To be honest, I'm far more concerned by Adams' recent form and his complete inability to defend one-on-one against opposition forwards. It's not as though others in the VFL are tearing the door down - if they were that would be different. No guarantees on Moz but if he's good enough he plays senior footy next year. Just his impact on our young group, his vast knowledge of the defensive art and his total professionalism will be a positive at the club next year.

Bullies
23-07-2018, 01:01 PM
Neither of them have the kicking skills or pace we need and I think as 3rd tall defenders they might struggle. Sad to say but I think Dale is done. I don't rate Adams and Trengove but those 2 look like staying so not sure you can have the 3 in the same side. Adams looks way off unless he plays a goal keeper role. He can't play man on man and the opposition queue up to play on Trengove. Naughton has gone backwards and lost confidence since he has gone forward. It is easier to play down back when learning the game so why not leave him there.

Ozza
23-07-2018, 01:17 PM
Like it but I'd let Dahl seek his deal of a lifetime at Geelong and bank what should be good compensation (something akin to an early 2nd round pick for a premiership player in his prime on 700k a season).

Dahl is symptomatic of our successful run and also our subsequent drop-off. This year has shown in no uncertain terms that we simply cannot afford to carry too many limited ball users in the same team moving forward, and we also must start to get the balance right with our midfield. When considering the Richmond game plan and how small pressure forwards are rolled gold in the last 18 months, Dahl has been underwhelming. Clearly the losses of Dickson, Smith and Picken have not been adequately covered in our F50 by Dahl, Honeychurch and others - either defensively or hitting the scoreboard.

Morris is a keeper for mine. His 2018 season has been badly compromised by injury, and a free run in pre-season will see him get close to his best again. To be honest, I'm far more concerned by Adams' recent form and his complete inability to defend one-on-one against opposition forwards. It's not as though others in the VFL are tearing the door down - if they were that would be different. No guarantees on Moz but if he's good enough he plays senior footy next year. Just his impact on our young group, his vast knowledge of the defensive art and his total professionalism will be a positive at the club next year.

Dahl's not getting 700K a year at Geelong. No chance that happens. Geelong have always been too responsible with their player payments to allow that. You can't have Dahl coming in on similar money to some of their top end/top 5 players.

It's a bit like the example Kane Cornes used on North Melbourne and Polec on the weekend. How do you bring in Polec on 700K - if Ziebell and Cunnington might be on $550-$600K?

Clubs will do it, but Geelong have never done it.

bulldogsthru&thru
23-07-2018, 01:22 PM

Agree on Moz. I think he's a must keep. Not only for depth but leadership down there. He and others in the backline have suffered from dreadful turnovers up the ground.

Dahl though i think we need to keep as well. I agree we have too many players who can't kick but how many inside mids do we have who can get the ball? Not many

Sedat
23-07-2018, 01:59 PM
Dahl's not getting 700K a year at Geelong. No chance that happens. Geelong have always been too responsible with their player payments to allow that. You can't have Dahl coming in on similar money to some of their top end/top 5 players.

It's a bit like the example Kane Cornes used on North Melbourne and Polec on the weekend. How do you bring in Polec on 700K - if Ziebell and Cunnington might be on $550-$600K?

Clubs will do it, but Geelong have never done it.
Even if it is 550-600k (not what I've heard BTW, I've heard 700k is around the mark), it will still net us strong compensation. I doubt very much he will leave if other offers are under 500k.

But philosophically, we can't keep Dahl on the money his management is expecting. I don't blame him at all for seeking the absolute best deal he can, but it would be irresponsible for us to match it. I'd consider keeping him at around 350k a season with additional incentives linked to his contract.

GVGjr
23-07-2018, 05:05 PM
We shouldn't be playing Wood as a tall defender. I want to see him get back to running and bouncing the ball off HBF like he use to.

When was the last time he did that? It's been a long while.

bornadog
23-07-2018, 05:34 PM
When was the last time he did that? It's been a long while.

True, and that is because we didn't have any talls in the backline, but now with Trengove, Naughton, Young etc we don't need to play him tall.

Hotdog60
23-07-2018, 06:50 PM
I think Adams would be more suited to losing a little bit of mass and back himself more like Lake used to. He has been a good mark in the past and maybe a full pre season might help him along.

GVGjr
23-07-2018, 07:46 PM
True, and that is because we didn't have any talls in the backline, but now with Trengove, Naughton, Young etc we don't need to play him tall.

But can we play 3 tal defenders with limited skills and then have the likes of Wood and Morris who provide a great contest and are great at zoning but they don't provide a lot of run and can't hurt sides with their kicking skill? Does it make the back line too static?

EasternWest
23-07-2018, 09:34 PM
Even if it is 550-600k (not what I've heard BTW, I've heard 700k is around the mark), it will still net us strong compensation. I doubt very much he will leave if other offers are under 500k.

But philosophically, we can't keep Dahl on the money his management is expecting. I don't blame him at all for seeking the absolute best deal he can, but it would be irresponsible for us to match it. I'd consider keeping him at around 350k a season with additional incentives linked to his contract.

I'd like Dahl to stay - but if 700 k is the offer I'd be angry at him for not taking it.

He's repaid our investment in spades, and if he takes the big money offer he goes with my blessing. Which I'm sure is important to him.

bornadog
23-07-2018, 09:47 PM
But can we play 3 tal defenders with limited skills and then have the likes of Wood and Morris who provide a great contest and are great at zoning but they don't provide a lot of run and can't hurt sides with their kicking skill? Does it make the back line too static?

I don't believe we can. It is either Morris or Cordy in the backline to play that third tall, and I think this should be Morris' last year. I know we think he can go forever, but at some stage we have to say thank you but goodbye. Love to have him stay and and coach/mentor Naughton, Young and Cordy.

Twodogs
23-07-2018, 10:21 PM
I'd like Dahl to stay - but if 700 k is the offer I'd be angry at him for not taking it.

He's repaid our investment in spades, and if he takes the big money offer he goes with my blessing. Which I'm sure is important to him.

He may have been waiting for your go ahead, you never know.

EasternWest
23-07-2018, 10:29 PM
He may have been waiting for your go ahead, you never know.

In that case, I also think Tom Lynch and Josh Kelly should decide they want to play at the Bulldogs.

Bulldog Joe
23-07-2018, 11:17 PM
I don't believe we can. It is either Morris or Cordy in the backline to play that third tall, and I think this should be Morris' last year. I know we think he can go forever, but at some stage we have to say thank you but goodbye. Love to have him stay and and coach/mentor Naughton, Young and Cordy.

Couldn't he still do that if we simply added him to the coaching panel. He doesn't need to take a list spot.

LostDoggy
24-07-2018, 12:24 AM

Its rare with your posts, but I disagree. Yes Dahl is a shit kick but not a bad snap shot. But his intensity and courage and short burst pace and his ball winning make him a must keep for me. The guy was AA squad in 15 and in AA contention pre injury in 16.

You dont let those guys go easily. Especially when you consider any comp would be diluted if we got a FA ourselves and even if we don't it would be chewed up by West points. So we'd effectively get SFA.

Heart and soul player. If the offer is $700k, I'd be surprised if didn't stay for $600k.

Also our list is in dire need of more players Dahls age - not less.

Yes we need more ball users, but getting rid of Dahl because we have a lot of shit users like Honey and Jong is efectively losing Dahl to accomodate those guys.

The guy is 25, hardly cooked. I'd back him to turn things around.

Get rid of Honey and Jong and replace with some ball users and we already look better.

soupman
24-07-2018, 05:58 AM
I'm in the keep Dahl camp. He has been terrible at times thie year but has been quality in the past. We have an extremely young list and i dont think we can afford to let too many good players leave.

Besides losong him now would be selling him at his lowest value since he was drafted, meaning the compensation would be middling at best, and thats before you consider a fa the other way or West/Khamis would dilute it further.

Not keen on just letting a clear best 22 player with a proven ability to be a very good performer depart for a pick in the 20s that isn't really used anyway.

Bullies
24-07-2018, 09:25 AM
Couldn't he still do that if we simply added him to the coaching panel. He doesn't need to take a list spot. He would be ideal playing with the kids at Footscray. What a mentor he would be.

Bullies
24-07-2018, 09:31 AM
I'm in the keep Dahl camp. He has been terrible at times thie year but has been quality in the past. We have an extremely young list and i dont think we can afford to let too many good players leave.

Besides losong him now would be selling him at his lowest value since he was drafted, meaning the compensation would be middling at best, and thats before you consider a fa the other way or West/Khamis would dilute it further.

Not keen on just letting a clear best 22 player with a proven ability to be a very good performer depart for a pick in the 20s that isn't really used anyway. By all accounts Dahl's Management and the club are poles apart on both $$ and years of contract. Not sure Dahl will be at the club next year due to other offers on the table from other clubs. Maybe the club needs to take a moneyball approach and get some older players from other clubs. Doesn't look like we are in a position to entice any of the big free agents.

bornadog
24-07-2018, 09:51 AM
Couldn't he still do that if we simply added him to the coaching panel. He doesn't need to take a list spot.

Yes I agree, that is what I meant.

ledge
24-07-2018, 10:12 AM
North has a lot of money free so does Carlton, they might want Dahl .
Nth loves picking up players from us.

GVGjr
24-07-2018, 10:15 AM

Not keen on just letting a clear best 22 player with a proven ability to be a very good performer depart for a pick in the 20s that isn't really used anyway.

Dahlhaus hasn't been good for the 2 years since the flag and while there is no disputing that his best is very good there has to be some questions if he will ever return to this level with us. How much longer do we just accept this level of output from someone who apparently is demanding top dollar with a new contract?

I guess there is three ways of looking at this:
1) Back him to return to somewhere close to his previous best which is a risk
2) Put a heavily weighted performance based contract in front of him
3) Let him leave and take the longer term view

Option 1 doesn't appear to be right but I could live with options 2 and 3 with option 2 being the preference.

I'm over paying people on their past endeavours and Dahlhaus needs to get focused on improving his performances.

Ozza
24-07-2018, 11:03 AM
Dahlhaus is potentially coming into his best years as a footballer. He's certainly coming into his prime years as an athlete.

I would certainly be back him in to get back to his best and offer him a new contract in the $500K range. The figure of $350K mentioned earlier in the thread, to me, sounds insulting, when you consider that the league average is not far below that, and even that average is swayed by rookies and young players under $200K.

You also have to consider the impact that it has on the group, if a heart and soul type player like Dahlhaus that the players love, were to leave.

LostDoggy
24-07-2018, 11:23 AM
Dahlhaus hasn't been good for the 2 years since the flag and while there is no disputing that his best is very good there has to be some questions if he will ever return to this level with us. How much longer do we just accept this level of output from someone who apparently is demanding top dollar with a new contract?

I guess there is three ways of looking at this:
1) Back him to return to somewhere close to his previous best which is a risk
2) Put a heavily weighted performance based contract in front of him
3) Let him leave and take the longer term view

Option 1 doesn't appear to be right but I could live with options 2 and 3 with option 2 being the preference.

I'm over paying people on their past endeavours and Dahlhaus needs to get focused on improving his performances.
Not sure Dahl has been poor for two years. Hiss job interview game against Geelong was exceĺlent. Was also pretty good for the early part of 17.

He may or may not have been carrying an injury that has negatively affacted his kicking too. Dahl is also incredibly durable which sticks out like dog plums in our team.

I get the frustration with paying players too much, but we have far bigger problems overpaying and retaining poor players than Dahlhaus IMO.

If we let Dahl go for essentially nothing in return by quibbling over $150k Id be disappointed.

The white elephant in the room remains unmentioned whenever overpaying and cap space is mentioned. If we want to free up cap space, there is a guy who has done nothing since the GF earning bucketloads of money who is about to be made redundant by English.

GVGjr
24-07-2018, 02:08 PM
Not sure Dahl has been poor for two years. Hiss job interview game against Geelong was exceĺlent. Was also pretty good for the early part of 17.

He may or may not have been carrying an injury that has negatively affacted his kicking too. Dahl is also incredibly durable which sticks out like dog plums in our team.

I get the frustration with paying players too much, but we have far bigger problems overpaying and retaining poor players than Dahlhaus IMO.

If we let Dahl go for essentially nothing in return by quibbling over $150k Id be disappointed.

The white elephant in the room remains unmentioned whenever overpaying and cap space is mentioned. If we want to free up cap space, there is a guy who has done nothing since the GF earning bucketloads of money who is about to be made redundant by English.

He used to do those games quite regularly but there has been weeks where he has been well below par.
He's kicked just 2 goals this year and it was embarrassing watching him early in the season failing to make the distance from 25 to 40mtrs out.
I don't think he's had a good season at all.

GVGjr
24-07-2018, 02:11 PM
Dahlhaus is potentially coming into his best years as a footballer. He's certainly coming into his prime years as an athlete.

I would certainly be back him in to get back to his best and offer him a new contract in the $500K range. The figure of $350K mentioned earlier in the thread, to me, sounds insulting, when you consider that the league average is not far below that, and even that average is swayed by rookies and young players under $200K.

You also have to consider the impact that it has on the group, if a heart and soul type player like Dahlhaus that the players love, were to leave.

I'm not being smart here but what is that based on? He hasn't measured up. I rated him as a near A grader but not now, he hasn't been earning his keep on my expectations of him.

Ozza
24-07-2018, 02:56 PM
I'm not being smart here but what is that based on? He hasn't measured up. I rated him as a near A grader but not now, he hasn't been earning his keep on my expectations of him.

"What is this based on?" is a strange question in regards to me backing him to get back to his best - because backing someone to return to their best form is always going to be intangible in some ways.

But I do think as a 26 year old next year - his 26-30 years could very realistically be his best years. We see this all the time in AFL players. Why do you think he can't recapture his best? Is this still because of him being inebriated in one video ? Or is there more that you know?

Generally speaking, I think many of our list will find better form once we aren't so heavily impacted by injury and are playing better as a side. You look at someone like Caleb Daniel for instance - who hasn't been the player he was in 2016 for some time. Caleb struggles to find his own ball and is a 'cream' type of a player - he is going to be a better contributor when our better players are in and taking the focus of the opposition. And more cohesion means that players look up and know where their team mates are and therefore their options and ball use is better.

Same with Dahl either in around the footy, or in stints as a forward. I'm backing him to generate more quality output once we get some semblance of a settled line up, and for him to learn from a difficult year or two. He went through a difficult patch under McCartney too in 2014, and worked his way through it. You seem quick to dismiss that he can do this again.

Twodogs
24-07-2018, 04:05 PM
"What is this based on?" is a strange question in regards to me backing him to get back to his best - because backing someone to return to their best form is always going to be intangible in some ways.

But I do think as a 26 year old next year - his 26-30 years could very realistically be his best years. We see this all the time in AFL players. Why do you think he can't recapture his best? Is this still because of him being inebriated in one video ? Or is there more that you know?

Generally speaking, I think many of our list will find better form once we aren't so heavily impacted by injury and are playing better as a side. You look at someone like Caleb Daniel for instance - who hasn't been the player he was in 2016 for some time. Caleb struggles to find his own ball and is a 'cream' type of a player - he is going to be a better contributor when our better players are in and taking the focus of the opposition. And more cohesion means that players look up and know where their team mates are and therefore their options and ball use is better.

Same with Dahl either in around the footy, or in stints as a forward. I'm backing him to generate more quality output once we get some semblance of a settled line up, and for him to learn from a difficult year or two. He went through a difficult patch under McCartney too in 2014, and worked his way through it. You seem quick to dismiss that he can do this again.

I think GVG meant what is the league average based on? That's how I read it. He wants to know where you get your figure of $350 000 being the league average.

Ozza
24-07-2018, 04:06 PM
I think GVG meant what is the league average based on? That's how I read it. He wants to know where you get your figure of $350 000 being the league average.

He bolded the words 'I would certainly be back him in to get back to his best ' - so I'm pretty sure that is what he is questioning.

Axe Man
24-07-2018, 04:32 PM

2017 average salary was $352,470 - source is the AFL Link (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-02-22/player-payments-revealed-millionaires-on-the-up)

If we offered Dahl $350k it would mean we were pushing him out the door.

Sedat
24-07-2018, 05:00 PM
2017 average salary was $352,470 - source is the AFL Link (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-02-22/player-payments-revealed-millionaires-on-the-up)

If we offered Dahl $350k it would mean we were pushing him out the door.
As a base with heavily incentivised components? If he backs himself in to rediscover his previous best form he will comfortably exceed 500k - doesn't seem unfair.

Cyberdoggie
24-07-2018, 05:45 PM
Fergus Greene is putting in some better performances at Footscray, and he has a lot of potential improvement in him.

For whatever reason Dahlhaus just hasn't fired this year. I get the feeling he doesn't fit into Beveridges multi positional dream,
and his kicking disposal and kicking for goal has been quite poor/average of late.
When Luke is at his best he is ferocious at the ball and chasing down opposition players, unfortunately if he is not showing that level of attack on the ball, the weaknesses in his game start to light up in bright lights.

bornadog
24-07-2018, 05:52 PM
Fergus Greene is putting in some better performances at Footscray, and he has a lot of potential improvement in him.

For whatever reason Dahlhaus just hasn't fired this year. I get the feeling he doesn't fit into Beveridges multi positional dream,
and his kicking disposal and kicking for goal has been quite poor/average of late.
When Luke is at his best he is ferocious at the ball and chasing down opposition players, unfortunately if he is not showing that level of attack on the ball, the weaknesses in his game start to light up in bright lights.

His tackling numbers are only slightly down on his career average, ie 4.1 to 4.5

Ozza
24-07-2018, 06:37 PM
As a base with heavily incentivised components? If he backs himself in to rediscover his previous best form he will comfortably exceed 500k - doesn't seem unfair.

I don't think it works.
If you put a bloke on less than the average AFL wage, and make his overall pay heavily based on his own performance, then where is his focus? Himself or the team? What would the incentives be based on?
Number of games or where he finishes in the B&F - these are out of his hands and manipulated by coaches/MC
Statistical numbers? Then you could argue he tries to rack up numbers that are potentially to the detriment of the team.

Incentives are ok in any line of work - but in a team environment, nobody should have incentives that significant impact their overall earnings.

Sedat
24-07-2018, 07:22 PM
I don't think it works.
If you put a bloke on less than the average AFL wage, and make his overall pay heavily based on his own performance, then where is his focus? Himself or the team? What would the incentives be based on?
Number of games or where he finishes in the B&F - these are out of his hands and manipulated by coaches/MC
Statistical numbers? Then you could argue he tries to rack up numbers that are potentially to the detriment of the team.

Incentives are ok in any line of work - but in a team environment, nobody should have incentives that significant impact their overall earnings.
There would be many players in the competition with incentive clauses in their contract, and it doesn't detract from their ability to be team-oriented.

GVGjr
24-07-2018, 07:49 PM

I'm just looking his form and attitude over the last 2 seasons and I haven't seen enough positive signs in him to back him in the manner you and others have. Why would we give him a big contract if his form is around what we have seen in the last 2 seasons?
By all means give him a contract that has a strong incentive based component but we have seen too many players fall back for me to be happy about the club giving big contracts to players with a questionable form line vs their ability.

Jeanette54
24-07-2018, 09:46 PM

I only hope he can be made redundant by Tim English, and then we might see the power forward we recruited him to be. He is an excellent leading forward, if only we can get it to him, both accurately and with good timing.

soupman
25-07-2018, 06:04 AM
He is an excellent leading forward, if only we can get it to him, both accurately and with good timing.

Based on? He's slow off the mark, consistently fails to hit the ball well on the move, is easily outbodied and is a terrible mark almost always apart from when he somehow gets the ball wedged between his wrists with arms fully extended above his head.

I like him, i think he works hard and is a competent ruck but he has so many glaring weaknesses as a forward. Schache has him covered in almost every way as a leading forward and Schache is still very raw.

Once English comes on i think Boyd is pushed into that resting ruck/workhorse key forward role that someone like David Hale used to play. A role i think we planned for Trengove, who shares many frustrating attributes to Boyd.

Mofra
25-07-2018, 11:32 AM
There would be many players in the competition with incentive clauses in their contract, and it doesn't detract from their ability to be team-oriented.
Dane Swan mentioned in an interview he got an extra $50k for making the AA team as part of his contract. I imagine there are all sorts of incentives written into contracts (e.g. a portion of a club's $500k marketing allowance allocated to players who stand in as captain).

Mofra
25-07-2018, 11:34 AM
Based on? He's slow off the mark, consistently fails to hit the ball well on the move, is easily outbodied and is a terrible mark almost always apart from when he somehow gets the ball wedged between his wrists with arms fully extended above his head.

I like him, i think he works hard and is a competent ruck but he has so many glaring weaknesses as a forward. Schache has him covered in almost every way as a leading forward and Schache is still very raw.

Once English comes on i think Boyd is pushed into that resting ruck/workhorse key forward role that someone like David Hale used to play. A role i think we planned for Trengove, who shares many frustrating attributes to Boyd.
I think Boyd will be a little better than you indicate but yes, the forward/ruck role helping our Tim English seems his go in a year or three.

I don't think it's a disaster - forward/rucks are arguably the hardest role in a team to fill. Doesn't seem to be too many that do it well.

Ozza
25-07-2018, 11:43 AM
Dane Swan mentioned in an interview he got an extra $50k for making the AA team as part of his contract. I imagine there are all sorts of incentives written into contracts (e.g. a portion of a club's $500k marketing allowance allocated to players who stand in as captain).

There are certainly incentives in many or all contracts - but putting a senior player on less than the average AFL wage and making the contract 'heavily incentive based' is a step well beyond bonuses for AA for other league honours.

ReLoad
25-07-2018, 02:08 PM
There are certainly incentives in many or all contracts - but putting a senior player on less than the average AFL wage and making the contract 'heavily incentive based' is a step well beyond bonuses for AA for other league honours.

The biggest incentive of them all is to win finals, and the big dance in particular, the extra payments are huge and don't count towards any cap.

Thats the elephant in the room with all these contracts and free agents, its one of the myriad of reasons why success breeds success.

Dry Rot
27-07-2018, 02:26 AM
What was the deal that Saints did with the Hawks in 2016 about trading their first for the Hawk's first in 2017?

What would it take for us to get the Saints' first rounder this year?

Mofra
27-07-2018, 10:18 AM
What was the deal that Saints did with the Hawks in 2016 about trading their first for the Hawk's first in 2017?

Wait two years and trade them a second rounder for it?

McCartin, Billings...

Dancin' Douggy
27-07-2018, 10:22 AM

Could you elaborate on your dastardly scheme please Dry Rot.

The saints, and dogs, will both end up with one of picks 3, 4 or 5 already.

Were you wanting to go into the draft with 2 of those picks?

bulldogtragic
27-07-2018, 10:30 AM
Wait two years and trade them a second rounder for it?

McCartin, Billings...

Actually laughed out loud. :D Nice one centurion.

bornadog
27-07-2018, 10:42 AM
Brisbane Lions join chase for Western Bulldogs midfielder Mitch Wallis (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/western-bulldogs/brisbane-lions-join-chase-for-western-bulldogs-midfielder-mitch-wallis/news-story/9c3d3e63a199659e5a443fa4f4786720)

BRISBANE has joined the hunt for Western Bulldogs free agent Mitch Wallis to help beef up its midfield for a finals tilt next season.

The Lions have some of the best young talent in the competition and are targeting Wallis to add more leadership and strength through the midfield.

The Herald Sun understands a rival club could prise Wallis out of Whitten Oval with a four-year deal, securing his future until the end of 2022.

Wallis is highly rated at the kennel and his experience and team discipline over 118 games appeals to the Lions, who hit the jackpot acquiring champion Luke Hodge from Hawthorn late last year.

The Lions have registered their interest in the hard-running midfielder with the Wallis camp, but there are a number of clubs in the race to land the father-son jet.

Mitch’s father, Stephen, played 261 games for the Dogs between 1983 and 1996.

Wallis has already attracted interest from Essendon and Gold Coast, with the Bombers widely believed to be in the box seat to keep him in Melbourne.

Essendon is openly targeting another inside ball-winner and is planning to be active in trade period again after landing Jake Stringer, Devon Smith and Adam Saad last year.

Essendon has a quality midfield brigade but want another hard-nosed onballer such as Wallis to fill the void left by Jobe Watson when he retired at the end of last season.

Wallis is weighing up his future at the Bulldogs after another decent season, averaging 21 possessions across 13 games this year.

Wallis has made a full recovery from the horrific broken leg in 2016 but he appeared to fall out of favour last year, playing 12 senior games.

The Dogs are looking to make changes to their list after missing finals for the second-straight year on the back of a stunning 2016 premiership.

Wallis is one of four Western Bulldogs’ free agents facing uncertain futures.

Tom Liberatore, Luke Dahlhaus, Jordan Roughead and Wallis are able to switch clubs at the end of the season under free agency rules.

The club also wants veteran defender Dale Morris to play on next season.

soupman
27-07-2018, 10:46 AM
Essendon has a quality midfield brigade
Hahahahahahahahahaha. Surely a pisstake?

Axe Man
27-07-2018, 10:47 AM

St Kilda gave up pick 10 and 68 for 23, 36 and Hawthorn's 2017 first pick. But that only happened because the Hawks were desperate for a pick to trade to Gold Coast for O'Meara.

bulldogtragic
27-07-2018, 10:50 AM
Essendon, Brisbane & GCS all chasing him. I wonder who told the Hun a four year deal would have him leave?

I guess we've let the opposition chase him, so now our offer has to be better again if we want to retain him. If he gets 4 years at around $550,000+ that's very likely pick 19 compo. If there are forces in the club who have issues with him as a player, they might want pick 19. I'd re-sign him, but the club hasn't and now he's got offers from three other clubs. So I guess watch this space.

bulldogtragic
27-07-2018, 10:51 AM

Sounds like Robbo...

Mofra
27-07-2018, 11:18 AM
Essendon, Brisbane & GCS all chasing him. I wonder who told the Hun a four year deal would have him leave?

I guess we've let the opposition chase him, so now our offer has to be better again if we want to retain him. If he gets 4 years at around $550,000+ that's very likely pick 19 compo. If there are forces in the club who have issues with him as a player, they might want pick 19. I'd re-sign him, but the club hasn't and now he's got offers from three other clubs. So I guess watch this space.
If someone bids on Rhylee at pick 14 we would lose pick 19 completely.
I'd rather keep Wallis but surely we'd have to look at trading down pick 19 to a 20s and 30s pick at a points surplus, or pick 5 and 19 to two picks in the top 14?

Twodogs
27-07-2018, 11:19 AM
Wallis is highly rated at the kennel

Who by? If he was highly rated we would have signed him earlier in the season when he was virtually begging us to.

bornadog
27-07-2018, 11:27 AM

If Essendon think that, then there in lies their problem.

bulldogtragic
27-07-2018, 11:34 AM
If someone bids on Rhylee at pick 14 we would lose pick 19 completely.
I'd rather keep Wallis but surely we'd have to look at trading down pick 19 to a 20s and 30s pick at a points surplus, or pick 5 and 19 to two picks in the top 14?

Bang on. I'd keep and use 5, then take in say 19 for Wally/Dahl and say 42 for Roughy:

Put 19, 41 & 42 on the table for draft points trades. I can't see too many ways to improve 41 & 42, unless we trade for a ready made at 41. To make sure we have coverage if West goes as high as pick 9 as ESPN have him, plus if Khamis goes top 30.

Pick 19 could go to Sydney for circa picks 33 & 35 to net us an extra 150 points to us.

Pick 5 = used for a gun midfielder/dynamic small forward.
(Pick 20 used in place if Dahl & Wally for some reason both leave for end of first round compo).
Picks 33 & 35 = 1,085 points for West - which is enough to cover him at pick 9, less the discount.
Pick 41 - Trade for a ready made, Lloyd if rumours are true.
Pick 42 & 59 = 555 points for Khamis - which is enough to cover him at pick 27, less the discount.
Pick 60 & 77 = late picks or two other NGA options
Picks 95 & 113 = upgrading Gowers & Lynch.

8 inclusions to the senior list.

Ozza
27-07-2018, 11:37 AM

Do you think money or opportunity will be the motivating factor for Wallis?

I think his decision to move will be more based on whether he feels he has the backing of the coach to be a regular/permanent senior player. I doubt the difference in dollars will be a big factor - Mitch will have no problems making a quid post footy career, and I'd hazard a guess that he is already an equity partner in the family business.

bulldogtragic
27-07-2018, 11:53 AM
Do you think money or opportunity will be the motivating factor for Wallis?

I think his decision to move will be more based on whether he feels he has the backing of the coach to be a regular/permanent senior player. I doubt the difference in dollars will be a big factor - Mitch will have no problems making a quid post footy career, and I'd hazard a guess that he is already an equity partner in the family business.

I can't say too much on an open forum. The offer should've come already in my opinion, but we should increase it out of respect being he's done what's asked to a high level as a forward/mid. But you're completely correct about opportunity and support. This will be the factor if he leaves. Which is insane when you look at him being called out in the press and also dropped, but Honeychurch & Smith get the royal treatment by the coach/match committee. I want his signature, as per my thread. But if I did bet, I'd bet he's going elsewhere as of when my info was current, which isn't that long ago. But who knows, maybe things have changed.

Mofra
27-07-2018, 12:01 PM
Bang on. I'd keep and use 5, then take in say 19 for Wally/Dahl and say 42 for Roughy:

Put 19, 41 & 42 on the table for draft points trades. I can't see too many ways to improve 41 & 42, unless we trade for a ready made at 41. To make sure we have coverage if West goes as high as pick 9 as ESPN have him, plus if Khamis goes top 30.

Pick 19 could go to Sydney for circa picks 33 & 35 to net us an extra 150 points to us.

Pick 5 = used for a gun midfielder/dynamic small forward.
(Pick 20 used in place if Dahl & Wally for some reason both leave for end of first round compo).
Picks 33 & 35 = 1,085 points for West - which is enough to cover him at pick 9, less the discount.
Pick 41 - Trade for a ready made, Lloyd if rumours are true.
Pick 42 & 59 = 555 points for Khamis - which is enough to cover him at pick 27, less the discount.
Pick 60 & 77 = late picks or two other NGA options
Picks 95 & 113 = upgrading Gowers & Lynch.

8 inclusions to the senior list.
Pretty well structured list, although if we lose Wally we have to sign Dahl, and Vice Versa - I don't think we can afford to lose both.
I suspect we lose Roughy as well, not sure if we get anything in return or him.

I think Lloyd will come cheaper than pick 41 too, or at the very least Richmond give us a pick back that have at least a few points attached to them. Chatfield or Dawson may even get a token late bid we'd need to cover with a late pick.

The Bulldogs Bite
27-07-2018, 12:03 PM
Would be pretty disappointing to lose Wallis at this point.

Not a star, but we need him to stay.

bulldogtragic
27-07-2018, 12:20 PM
Pretty well structured list, although if we lose Wally we have to sign Dahl, and Vice Versa - I don't think we can afford to lose both.
I suspect we lose Roughy as well, not sure if we get anything in return or him.

I think Lloyd will come cheaper than pick 41 too, or at the very least Richmond give us a pick back that have at least a few points attached to them. Chatfield or Dawson may even get a token late bid we'd need to cover with a late pick.

I don't want to lose Wally. Dahl & Roughy can be covered though. So that's what I'd do if I were Sam Power. Agree on Chatfield & Dawson to cover off later picks, they've got some raw talents. On Lloyd or another ready made type we like (like Crozier last year around pick 40 odd), say we used our pick 42, by the time first, second and early third tough compo is factored in, 42 could push out to 48. If we could get a bump from our 5th into their 4th, that gets us from pick 77 into maybe 71 (30 draft points) before compo (6-7 pick upgrade).

Gives us the ability to cut at least 8 off the list, maybe 9 if we really like on Dawson & Chatfield.

Mofra
27-07-2018, 01:42 PM
Gives us the ability to cut at least 8 off the list, maybe 9 if we really like on Dawson & Chatfield.
If they both get through the draft we have the option to sign them as Cat B rookies. That would be perfect for us.

bulldogtragic
27-07-2018, 01:54 PM
If they both get through the draft we have the option to sign them as Cat B rookies. That would be perfect for us.

That would be nice to be like a big club and have multiple Cat B’s. As a back up to late picks, at least having watched them closely well know if they’re worth matching or taking them outright if they’re best available. As I’ve said before, this draft could be a really interesting, if not really exciting one. I can’t remember the last time we had three ‘starting 18’ AA’s on their way to WO, including the surname West back!

Rocket Science
27-07-2018, 01:59 PM
If we lose Wal' after this I'll be reaching for Plough's chuck bucket.

More masterful asset management.

josie
27-07-2018, 08:22 PM
I really understand losing Wally (if that happens) will be upsetting to many woofers. He seems to have found himself a good position in forward half, so this and his leadership and love for the club has swung me around to the should keep camp. However the sky will not fall down if he goes and I think we have enough talent to cover him if Libba’s return is successful and if West is as good as his Dad. Would be great if Picko returns too but big doubts on this. Who knows what the club is planning end of season...Agree it is going to be riveting.

If Wally or Dahl does go please, please not Essendon. That would make me reach for chuck bucket.

kruder
27-07-2018, 09:27 PM
Has anyone heard anything in regards to coaching changes? Surely we will be looking at a few changes going into 19.

Dry Rot
27-07-2018, 09:59 PM
St Kilda gave up pick 10 and 68 for 23, 36 and Hawthorn's 2017 first pick. But that only happened because the Hawks were desperate for a pick to trade to Gold Coast for O'Meara.

Thanks.

So basically it was Saints' then current 1st rounder for the Hawks' first rounder the following year, and tow second rounders form from the Hawks from that current year?

Dry Rot
27-07-2018, 10:09 PM
Could you elaborate on your dastardly scheme please Dry Rot.

The saints, and dogs, will both end up with one of picks 3, 4 or 5 already.

Were you wanting to go into the draft with 2 of those picks?

I have been reading some interesting ideas about what to with our 2018 first rounder.

Obvious choice is keep it and get a star.

But I've seen some thoughts about converting say our pick 4 into two later first rounders. I don't support this, and it has the problem that one of them could be lost with a bid for West.

But it got me thinking the other way and the Saints trade from 2016. Would be handy to get 2 stars this year, because IIRC we'd probably be burning our 2019 first rounder on another F/S.

Thoughts please?

Twodogs
27-07-2018, 10:45 PM
I think we should keep or pick 4 or 5 or whatever it turns out as. I have read several times that the first 6-8 players are a class above the rest. I want kids with elite traits on our list.

bulldogtragic
27-07-2018, 10:49 PM
I think we should keep or pick 4 or 5 or whatever it turns out as. I have read several times that the first 6-8 players are a class above the rest. I want kids with elite traits on our list.

Yep, let’s get creative after that pick. There’s plenty of ways we can go to maximise our hand.

Bullies
28-07-2018, 07:35 PM
Has anyone heard anything in regards to coaching changes? Surely we will be looking at a few changes going into 19. We should know shortly as I think it is early August that assistant coaches need to be told if they are required or not. Stay tuned.

macca
29-07-2018, 02:04 AM
Sam Mitchell is heading back to Melbourne. Was wondering if he would be gettable? Hopefully there is a good relationship with Bevo, enough to get him over.

bulldogtragic
29-07-2018, 09:17 AM
Sam Mitchell is heading back to Melbourne. Was wondering if he would be gettable? Hopefully there is a good relationship with Bevo, enough to get him over.

That would be a huge get.

The Underdog
29-07-2018, 11:02 AM
That would be a huge get.

Not sure what his fitness is like but he’d definitely be the best ball user in our midfield.

Greystache
29-07-2018, 07:06 PM
Not sure what his fitness is like but he’d definitely be the best ball user in our midfield.

Sure but how would he go as a key defender who pinch hits in the ruck. Be flexible or die.

bornadog
29-07-2018, 07:28 PM
I would delist/trade Adams, and say goodbye to Morris, and Roberts.

We need games into Naughton and Young, with Cordy the third tall.

dukedog
29-07-2018, 07:32 PM

Adams is really not flourishing. He needs to play to his intercept mark game. He's a unit and gets beaten one v one all the time. Fletcher is as good as done. Morris stays coz he's Morris.

bulldogtragic
29-07-2018, 07:33 PM

Adams has another two years on good money. I'm not thinking he's going anywhere based on the performances 17 clubs have all seen this year.

GVGjr
29-07-2018, 07:45 PM

In terms of senior game experience, Adams hasnt been given enough of a chance to consolidate his position. Id keep him unless a great offer came our way and I cant see that happening. It was a poor match up for him today
Roberts might be lucky to survive and I cant see the coach making the hard call with Morris,
Im genuinely concerned if we have both Morris and Wood in the back half next year as they just dont do enough with the footy

bornadog
29-07-2018, 07:46 PM
In terms of senior game experience, Adams hasnt been given enough of a chance to consolidate his position. Id keep him unless a great offer came our way and I cant see that happening. It was a poor match up for him today
Roberts might be lucky to survive and i cant see the coach making the hard call with Morris,
Im genuinely concerned if we have both Morris and Wood in the back half next year as they just dont do enough with the footy

Can't play Morris, Wood and Cordy together. Wood said he may be back for the last two games

Bullies
29-07-2018, 07:55 PM
Roberts might be lucky to survive and I cant see the coach making the hard call with Morris,
Im genuinely concerned if we have both Morris and Wood in the back half next year as they just dont do enough with the footy Adams has been given more than a fair crack at it this year. Not sure you watch him one on one. He is dreadful. As I said in a previous post unless he plays loose man/goal keeper role he is a liability. No one will want him on what he has delivered.

GVGjr
29-07-2018, 08:03 PM
Adams has been given more than a fair crack at it this year. Not sure you watch him one on one. He is dreadful. As I said in a previous post unless he plays loose man/goal keeper role he is a liability. No one will want him on what he has delivered.
In 3 years he hasn't played 30 games yet. Roarke Smith has been on the list longer and I see more in Adams than I do in Smith.
He needs some continuity before we make a hard call on him.

Lynch came to us the same year as Adams did and I think most would agree that if we were to dump him at the end of the season it would be premature

GVGjr
29-07-2018, 08:05 PM
Can't play Morris, Wood and Cordy together. Wood said he may be back for the last two games

I think we played him forward at the start of the year because we knew both he and Morris slow us down.
By the way did you go today?

Bullies
29-07-2018, 08:08 PM
In 3 years he hasn't played 30 games yet.Roarke Smith has been on the list longer and I see more in Adams than I do in Smith.
He needs some continuity before we make a hard call on him.

Lynch came to us the same year as Adams did and I think most would agree that if we were to dump him at the end of the season it would be premature
And I am not convinced Lynch will make it either. I just don't rate some of these guys Adams/Smith and Lynch as highly as some others. Would love to be proven wrong.

Happy Days
29-07-2018, 08:12 PM
Adams was admittedly terrible today (and last week) but has shown a lot at times this year - he was probably best on ground in the North game and has backed it with some other solid efforts.

His one on one work leaves a bit to be desired but it's not as bad on the whole as it was today, plus he has several high-level traits that can make him of great value to the team (intercept marking, lengthy kicking, etc). I wouldn't be looking to move him on.

bornadog
29-07-2018, 08:51 PM
I think we played him forward at the start of the year because we knew both he and Morris slow us down.
By the way did you go today?

I didn't end up going due to the timeslot.

azabob
29-07-2018, 09:18 PM
My concern with Lynch is his lack of defensive efforts with and without the ball and physical presence one on one or in and around the contest.

He is too similar to JJ and Crozier in strengths and weaknesses.

EasternWest
29-07-2018, 09:24 PM
My concern with Lynch is his lack of defensive efforts with and without the ball and physical presence one on one or in and around the contest.

Bit harsh on Crozier. I'm not sure if courage is a natural part of his game, but he's certainly gutsier than I thought he was.

I think Lynch has his weaknesses, but he's at least got some good attributes to work with.

azabob
29-07-2018, 09:28 PM
Bit harsh on Crozier. I'm not sure if courage is a natural part of his game, but he's certainly gutsier than I thought he was.

I think Lynch has his weaknesses, but he's at least got some good attributes to work with.

Fair call on Crozier.

Would you promote Lynch? I’m 50/50 at this stage. As you said his attributes are what we need.

EasternWest
29-07-2018, 09:29 PM
Fair call on Crozier.

Would you promote Lynch? I’m 50/50 at this stage. As you said his attributes are what we need.

I guess it depends on what our other movements are, but I'd certainly like to hold onto him.

He definitely has to iron out some aspects of his game though.

bulldogtragic
29-07-2018, 09:38 PM
To cut the list properly. Lynch or pick 100.

Lynch, thank you please.

Bulldog Joe
29-07-2018, 09:38 PM

I think Crozier is fine and goes when he needs too.

JJ and Lynch are both suspect when the going is tough. Lynch probably is more capable with ball in hand but is the least likely to earn it.

When the conditions were tough Crozier showed up but Lynch was basically anonymous and JJ was not much better,

Twodogs
29-07-2018, 09:41 PM
Crozier wore a huge hit from Dixon where Crozier actually jumped in Dixon's way to spoil him talking a mark on the lead. It was his turn to go and he went.

GVGjr
29-07-2018, 10:03 PM
Fair call on Crozier.

Would he have to be a promote or delist? He's been a rookie for 3 seasons now

Bulldog Joe
29-07-2018, 10:12 PM

I would probably give Lynch a 1 yr contract, but if someone else is interested I would be happy to trade for a 3rd round.
Lynch may very well become a very good player, but I think he will need a good side around him to cover up his shortcomings.

bornadog
29-07-2018, 10:38 PM
I would probably give Lynch a 1 yr contract, but if someone else is interested I would be happy to trade for a 3rd round.
Lynch may very well become a very good player, but I think he will need a good side around him to cover up his shortcomings.

Played his 5th game today, I think we can cut him some slack. For me he is a keep.

azabob
29-07-2018, 10:47 PM

Yes he’s either a promote or delist for mine. I wouldn’t want to re-draft him as a rookie.

Hotdog60
29-07-2018, 10:56 PM
I'm starting lose favour with JJ. I know he is being played out of position a lot lately but his become so outside he could be on another oval.
His 2 percenters are non existent and for somebody who is one of our experienced players he doesn't set a good example when things are going his way.

Sorry wrong thread. Mods please move to game day.

Bullies
30-07-2018, 08:26 AM
I'm starting lose favour with JJ. I know he is being played out of position a lot lately but his become so outside he could be on another oval.
His 2 percenters are non existent and for somebody who is one of our experienced players he doesn't set a good example when things are going his way.

Sorry wrong thread. Mods please move to game day. The question needs to be asked to JJ as to whether he wants to be there. He maybe another one who needs a good side to play his best football so he doesn't get the attention. At the moment he doesn't appear to be interested. Some of his efforts are embarrassing where he just puts his arm out and doesn't want contact. You can't have both he and Lynch in the same team.

Sedat
30-07-2018, 11:18 AM
After the last few weeks and especially yesterday, I'm very open for offers from WA clubs for Marcus Adams. Frankly Flether Roberts looks a safer bet as a key defender, after a 1 game sample size.

Never seen someone so strongly built lack any ability to hold ground in a 1-on-1 marking contest. Considering the conditions yesterday, it was as inept a key defensive performance as I can recall. And I saw it first hand from about 20m away in the 1st and 3rd qtrs.

Mofra
30-07-2018, 11:22 AM
After the last few weeks and especially yesterday, I'm very open for offers from WA clubs for Marcus Adams. Frankly Flether Roberts looks a safer bet as a key defender, after a 1 game sample size.

Never seen someone so strongly built lack any ability to hold ground in a 1-on-1 marking contest. Considering the conditions yesterday, it was as inept a key defensive performance as I can recall. And I saw it first hand from about 20m away in the 1st and 3rd qtrs.
I know he's not exciting but I have a bit of time for Fletch. I know he's contracted so we keep him anyway but he seems a mile ahead of Collins and Young plays more of a loose intercept role than locking down on an opponent which isn't a criticism, just a reflection on the act they are two different players.

Roberts is a very good kick too - comes into the side after a 3 month layoff and is already taking the kick-ins. We know he isn't quick and will never be a champion but can play a role which is all that can be asked.

Adams did have a poor game but I suspect Trengove goes back onto Dixon if we had Boyd or a match-fit English available to play ruck. Sadly, I thought Morris had a nightmare too but the way he prepares and trains I want him to get a 1 year extension.

bornadog
30-07-2018, 11:32 AM

Adams has been poor for the last month.

Sedat
30-07-2018, 11:34 AM
Adams has been poor for the last month.
Yep, been dreadful. And at 25yo I don't see inctemental improvement in his game either.

bornadog
30-07-2018, 11:36 AM
I thought Morris had a nightmare too but the way he prepares and trains I want him to get a 1 year extension.

I love Morris, he is one of our best defenders of all time, however, father time catches up with all, no matter how much you train and prepare. He will be 36 on the 29th of December. Naughton is half his age - quite incredible.

We have all been critical of the club holding on to old champs too long, is this the case with Morris?

The Bulldogs Bite
30-07-2018, 11:37 AM

Adams was woeful and hasn't had a good few weeks, but we need some perspective. He's played under 40 odd games, he had a long layoff with injury, currently has little support and looks out of form. I would think he has certainly proven he can be a quality player and I'm not too concerned with the last few weeks.

Roberts was OK but his lack of pace and strength were hidden by the conditions. Even so, I don't think Roberts is an awful player but we haven't had him in our calculations since the end of 2016 despite re-signing him so I'm not sure why we would bother playing him over Collins and Young.

The Bulldogs Bite
30-07-2018, 11:40 AM
I love Morris, he is one of our best defenders of all time, however, father time catches up with all, no matter how much you train and prepare. He will be 36 on the 29th of December. Naughton is half his age - quite incredible.

We have all been critical of the club holding on to old champs too long, is this the case with Morris?

The short answer is yes, the long answer is that we need him to stay another year to help develop our young brigade and particularly our defenders even if he isn't playing regularly himself.

I see Morris' 2019 as being a "playing assistant coach" - if he only plays 5 games, I'm fine with that so long as he's mentoring Naughton, Young etc.

bornadog
30-07-2018, 11:43 AM
The short answer is yes, the long answer is that we need him to stay another year to help develop our young brigade and particularly our defenders even if he isn't playing regularly himself.

I see Morris' 2019 as being a "playing assistant coach" - if he only plays 5 games, I'm fine with that so long as he's mentoring Naughton, Young etc.

I could live with that.

jeemak
30-07-2018, 01:53 PM
I'm not sure we find anyone in the draft with the picks we have (or don't have, or have that are already allocated to FS and academy players) that provide the short term and in all likelihood long term value a Dale Morris does.

Happy to hang onto him and let him get a game on merit or otherwise.

Topdog
31-07-2018, 12:54 PM
Adams has had a poor last few weeks, at the same time he was fantastic 6 weeks ago. I don't think we are helping our defenders at the moment with the ease the ball moves into our D50.

Greystache
31-07-2018, 06:53 PM
Adams has had a poor last few weeks, at the same time he was fantastic 6 weeks ago. I don't think we are helping our defenders at the moment with the ease the ball moves into our D50.

It's not like he's getting done on the lead due to open space and precision entry, that would be fair enough. We're conceding goals at will from long bombs in that opposition forwards are marking uncontested while surrounded by 4 defenders. Our willingness to give opposition tall forwards a clean run and jump at the ball is by far the worst in the league. Add in the fact that we have 4 defenders go up, none impact the contest, and leave opposition players to crumb uncontested goals when the ball spills and it's no surprise our percentage will finish the season in the 60s.

soupman
31-07-2018, 11:23 PM
I wouldn't be too harsh on Adams. Our entire defence is getting torched atm, and Adams has shown in the past including this season that he can be a very good intercept marking defender if we set up correctly. He isn't great one on one but Rance isn't exceptional in that area either. Typically sides put a lock down Astbury/Roberts/Lonergan type on the big bodied key forwards and play their atheltic beast Rance/Adams etc. on someone a bit smaller or less threatening who they can work off. That's the role Adams plays for mine. He lacks the reach as well to play on the taller blokes.

I like Naughton long term to be our strongest defender and best body on body player, although Collins is the type (not saying he has shown the ability) to play that lockdown role as well. Young is terrible body on body and way too slight even when he bulks up, Cordy has excellent reach and competitiveness so could be a chance there but would need support.

I wouldn't be putting Adams in the trade pile just yet is all I'm trying to say.

ledge
01-08-2018, 09:58 AM
Plenty others under Adams that would go first I would think.

bornadog
03-08-2018, 02:50 PM
Bevo on Dickson

Encouraging words for Tory Dickson

Dickson returns this week after battling hamstring problems for most of the season. Beveridge was clear in stating he’d like the 30-year-old to play next year.

“We put him through all of the tests as far as the speed goes and he's been training with us with the group for the last couple of weeks.

“There's always that possibility (of re-injury) because he's done it twice in game which is a bit unusual for our players, we haven't lost too many in game through soft tissue.

“We want Tory to go on and hopefully he can play well in the last handful of games and we want to give him that opportunity, so it's important we get him back as soon as possible.”

-

Rocket Science
03-08-2018, 03:27 PM
Channelling my inner pessimist and envisaging Dicko playing this week like he's short of a gallop and quite possibly breaking down again.

I really really really hope I'm wrong.

bulldogtragic
03-08-2018, 03:33 PM
Channelling my inner pessimist and envisaging Dicko playing this week like he's short of a gallop and quite possibly breaking down again.

Yep. And yep.

Mantis
03-08-2018, 03:35 PM
I wouldn't be too harsh on Adams. Our entire defence is getting torched atm, and Adams has shown in the past including this season that he can be a very good intercept marking defender if we set up correctly. He isn't great one on one but Rance isn't exceptional in that area either. Typically sides put a lock down Astbury/Roberts/Lonergan type on the big bodied key forwards and play their atheltic beast Rance/Adams etc. on someone a bit smaller or less threatening who they can work off. That's the role Adams plays for mine. He lacks the reach as well to play on the taller blokes.

I like Naughton long term to be our strongest defender and best body on body player, although Collins is the type (not saying he has shown the ability) to play that lockdown role as well. Young is terrible body on body and way too slight even when he bulks up, Cordy has excellent reach and competitiveness so could be a chance there but would need support.

I wouldn't be putting Adams in the trade pile just yet is all I'm trying to say.

Agree with lots of this.

In one contest from last week Adams was out-muscled by Dixon who took the mark & kicked the goal. In the back-ground of the marking contest, maybe 2m away, Roberts is holding Rockliff out. One would think Roberts would assist Adams by going 3rd man up, but for some unknown reason (I have throughts on this) he is only interested in keeping his man in check which resulted in another goal for Port.

Mantis
03-08-2018, 03:42 PM

We've been really 'conservative' with his recovery so what could possibly go wrong?

Mofra
03-08-2018, 03:58 PM
Roberts was OK but his lack of pace and strength were hidden by the conditions. Even so, I don't think Roberts is an awful player but we haven't had him in our calculations since the end of 2016 despite re-signing him so I'm not sure why we would bother playing him over Collins and Young.
He's outperforming Collins quite comfortably at VFL level and Young is great at intercepting, not great at taking care of an opponent.

The Bulldogs Bite
03-08-2018, 04:05 PM
He's outperforming Collins quite comfortably at VFL level and Young is great at intercepting, not great at taking care of an opponent.

Regardless, it's clear Roberts isn't in future planning so it was bizarre to give him 1 game and then subsequently drop him again. We're neither improving for the now with consistency of selection and team dynamics (ie. Roberts) or developing for the future (ie. Collins or Young) so I'm not sure what we're doing.

bornadog
03-08-2018, 04:57 PM
Regardless, it's clear Roberts isn't in future planning so it was bizarre to give him 1 game and then subsequently drop him again. We're neither improving for the now with consistency of selection and team dynamics (ie. Roberts) or developing for the future (ie. Collins or Young) so I'm not sure what we're doing.

Maybe he was dropped because he didn't follow instructions and do what Mantis said he should be doing. We really needed a couple of blokes defending on Dixon because he is a massive unit and we are all short arses in defence.

bulldogsthru&thru
03-08-2018, 05:00 PM
Maybe he was dropped because he didn't follow instructions and do what Mantis said he should be doing. We really needed a couple of blokes defending on Dixon because he is a massive unit and we are all short arses in defence.

We had all of Adams, Roberts, Cordy, Naughton and Morris playing last week and still couldn't stop Dixon. We were too tall and i expected that to limit our run off half back. Not be completely incapable of defending their only tall forward

bulldogtragic
03-08-2018, 05:06 PM
We had all of Adams, Roberts, Cordy and Morris playing last week and still couldn't stop Dixon. We were too tall and i expected that to limit our run off half back. Not be completely incapable of defending their only tall forward

Don't forget Naughton. Five KPDs and couldn't stop Dixon.

Dry Rot
05-08-2018, 05:08 PM
Dahlhaus and Wallis should have re-signed by now.

You would have to think that there must be a gulf between the offer by the club and expectations of the two players.

Throw in offers by other clubs and I'd say both are departing.

bulldogtragic
05-08-2018, 05:14 PM

You would have to think that there must be a gulf between the offer by the club and expectations of the two players.

Fair assessment. We are not seeing Dahl onfield again, and Mitch can't do more than he has. That is to say, the last few games won't change our offer. If our offers we have put to them were good in their eyes they would be accepted by now. So if nothing's going to change, here's hoping the compo makes up for the loss of them both. I think we can add Roughead to the list too. Curious why Libba hasn't been done either. We've said he's ticked the rehab boxes, so surely we've given him a good contract offer.

Twodogs
05-08-2018, 05:22 PM

Dalhaus probably but I don't think Mitch will go unless the club decides for him. Mitch Wallis is exactly the sort of player we should be looking to bring into the club as a FA, loyalty, leadership, determination, preperation and desperation are what Mitch brings to the table and that's what we need.

Rocket Science
05-08-2018, 06:08 PM
Dalhaus probably but I don't think Mitch will go unless the club decides for him. Mitch Wallis is exactly the sort of player we should be looking to bring into the club as a FA, loyalty, leadership, determination, preperation and desperation are what Mitch brings to the table and that's what we need.

Based on what's filtered out from both camps it appears the club's all but decided.

Take what's on the table Mitch - which clearly doesn't thrill him or his manager - or it's been nice knowing ya.

We obviously can't tolerate our last two years without making some hard-headed list decisions but I'd politely suggest Mitch Wallis ain't what's ailing us and we're going to squander a valuable asset in the process unless Mitch swallows some pride.

EasternWest
05-08-2018, 06:16 PM

I agree and I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think we've achieved this with Crozier. He has far exceeded my expectations, especially in the absence of Suckling. He gets better every week.

Twodogs
05-08-2018, 06:39 PM
I agree and I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think we've achieved this with Crozier. He has far exceeded my expectations, especially in the absence of Suckling. He gets better every week.

Yep, Crozier's form has improved dramatically in the second half of the season. Still need Mitch though.

EasternWest
05-08-2018, 08:11 PM
Yep, Crozier's form has improved dramatically in the second half of the season. Still need Mitch though.

Sure, didn't mean to derail the thread. Just your qualities required in a FA made me think of what Crozier has brought us.

As for Wallis for me it's about absolute no brainer. But if he gets a super offer elsewhere he goes with my blessing.

Happy Days
08-08-2018, 05:34 PM
So read a totally baseless rumour (as opposed to all of those other rumours) that Scrimshaw wants out of GC.

He's a player I really liked in his draft year, but I think that's just because he's tall and is theoretically a midfielder. Can't crack a game for who knows what reason because his NEAFL numbers are pretty solid, and definitely solid enough to have games pumped into him at the dumpster fire that is the Suns.

He's contracted but the Suns traded pick 2 for Lachie Weller so shouldn't really be too hard to work around. Say hypothetically that both Wallis *and* Dahl leave in FA and we have double compo (if that's how it works) is there any interest?

Mofra
08-08-2018, 05:47 PM
So read a totally baseless rumour (as opposed to all of those other rumours) that Scrimshaw wants out of GC.

He's a player I really liked in his draft year, but I think that's just because he's tall and is theoretically a midfielder. Can't crack a game for who knows what reason because his NEAFL numbers are pretty solid, and definitely solid enough to have games pumped into him at the dumpster fire that is the Suns.

He's contracted but the Suns traded pick 2 for Lachie Weller so shouldn't really be too hard to work around. Say hypothetically that both Wallis *and* Dahl leave in FA and we have double compo (if that's how it works) is there any interest?
I remember his name a lot in the draft year - Jets boy too isn't he?

Seems like a project type that will take years to come good but no idea how he's gone in the NEAFL - AFL player ratings don't cover the 2018 season sadly. Seems to have been played mostly behind the ball which is a problem, that's certainly not an area of need for us.

http://www.aflplayerratings.com.au/Ratings/Player/124009/Jack-SCRIMSHAW

jeemak
08-08-2018, 06:19 PM
I remember his name a lot in the draft year - Jets boy too isn't he?

Seems like a project type that will take years to come good but no idea how he's gone in the NEAFL - AFL player ratings don't cover the 2018 season sadly. Seems to have been played mostly behind the ball which is a problem, that's certainly not an area of need for us.

http://www.aflplayerratings.com.au/Ratings/Player/124009/Jack-SCRIMSHAW

Probably not, but Suckling only has a year left while Williams and Richards will probably end up becoming midfielders sooner rather than later.

If he's a development type and we think he can improve the overall talent profile of the list then we should be looking at him at the right price.

Dry Rot
09-08-2018, 12:02 AM
IMO the Suns have to match and force a trade with Lynch. May could be off next year.

I understand that this means that miss out on compo pick #3 but IMO they must send a message that other clubs can't just grab their stars at no cost to that other club.

It also means that could bring out their cheque book for Dalhaus and Wallis.

GVGjr
09-08-2018, 06:57 AM
They will receive 2 picks for Lynch which will be pick 3 and pick 20. Thats as good as it gets for them. They wont match any offers for him.
The big question for them is do they trade the early pick for an established player

Mofra
09-08-2018, 10:20 AM
They will receive 2 picks for Lynch which will be pick 3 and pick 20. Thats as good as it gets for them. They wont match any offers for him.
The big question for them is do they trade the early pick for an established player
Band 1 compo is a pick immediately after their first round pick, ie pick 3 as it stands.

They only get pick ~20 if they get a priority pick from the AFL which is a separate process.

GVGjr
09-08-2018, 12:04 PM
Band 1 compo is a pick immediately after their first round pick, ie pick 3 as it stands.

They only get pick ~20 if they get a priority pick from the AFL which is a separate process.

And I think both them and Carlton will land PP's.

bulldogsthru&thru
09-08-2018, 12:52 PM

It's an absolute joke that the AFEL continues to hand out priority picks. It's bad enough the AFEL rewarded essendon with the number one pick for doing drugs and they dish out nonsensical free agency compensation picks and still they continue to compromise drafts. Both Carlton and Gold Coast have been blessed with high draft picks for a number of years. Carlton have had more than most yet here they are struggling. They were boasting about their rebuild last year and early this year. Priority picks will not fix these clubs' problems. They need established players and leadership. Compromising drafts is just unfair to other clubs trying to do the right things. We're still trying to catch up from the Gold Coast and GWS compromised drafts and now this. Carlton have become the new charity of the AFEL taking over from Melbourne.

bulldogtragic
09-08-2018, 02:22 PM
Plus our compo picks and normal picks will all get shunted back resulting in fewer draft points. It could be a decent hit depending on what happens.

Mofra
09-08-2018, 02:28 PM
Plus our compo picks and normal picks will all get shunted back resulting in fewer draft points. It could be a decent hit depending on what happens.
Fingers crossed, that means a bid for west gets moved back one pick too meaning if we were to be in a points deficit, it would be a tiny bit less.

bulldogtragic
09-08-2018, 02:55 PM
Fingers crossed, that means a bid for west gets moved back one pick too meaning if we were to be in a points deficit, it would be a tiny bit less.

The AFEL like to make things more complex don't they? Add in making it a two day grab for attention, and possibly hand grenading priority picks around, then FS and NGAs, and their make up of FA compo despite the criteria they have. I guess it makes for a very interesting time for Power and his team.

hujsh
09-08-2018, 04:00 PM

We were at the bottom when GC and GWS got all those picks and now if they hand out two to GC and Carlton do we make a case for our own as compensation for being shafted by the AFL?

ledge
09-08-2018, 06:02 PM
I wonder when the AFL realises that it’s the culture and the development at the clubs that lets players down and giving them a top pick more likely destroys a kids career than improves it or the team.
Eg Carlton have had so many first round draft picks and are as bad as ever, do you keep sending kids to a club hoping the kid fixes it or do you say no more destroying kids careers, get your club and development in order first.

Twodogs
09-08-2018, 07:14 PM
We were at the bottom when GC and GWS got all those picks and now if they hand out two to GC and Carlton do we make a case for our own as compensation for being shafted by the AFL?

Don't be silly. Getting stuffed around by the AFL is our Raison D'être.

I wonder when the AFL realises that it’s the culture and the development at the clubs that lets players down and giving them a top pick more likely destroys a kids career than improves it or the team.
Eg Carlton have had so many first round draft picks and are as bad as ever, do you keep sending kids to a club hoping the kid fixes it or do you say no more destroying kids careers, get your club and development in order first.

Pretty soon a kid will refuse to go to Carlton and he'd be well within his rights. Footy is all about challenging yourself and improving your game. Carlton are so far from being that environment at the moment.

ratsmac
09-08-2018, 07:50 PM

Are there any players at Carlton worth looking at that may have been abused by Carlton's inept development that we might be able to rescue?

Bulldog Joe
09-08-2018, 08:21 PM
Are there any players at Carlton worth looking at that may have been abused by Carlton's inept development that we might be able to rescue?

We already did that.. Billy Gowers.

Didn't work as well with Mark Austin

EasternWest
09-08-2018, 09:20 PM

There's an athletic beast ripe for the picking.

Twodogs
09-08-2018, 09:27 PM
We already did that.. Billy Gowers.

Didn't work as well with Mark Austin

Apart from Phil Maylin and Billy Gowers have we ever recruited a decent player from Carlton?

Twodogs
09-08-2018, 09:28 PM
There's an athletic beast ripe for the picking.

And he must have a contract year coming up soon so you will get some good footy.

EasternWest
09-08-2018, 09:40 PM
And he must have a contract year coming up soon so you will get some good footy.

Punxsatawney Phil says 6 weeks of good footy.

Twodogs
09-08-2018, 11:13 PM
Punxsatawney Phil says 6 weeks of good footy.

Oh well,it's 6 more weeks of good footy than he plays most years,

Bulldog Joe
10-08-2018, 07:26 AM
Apart from Phil Maylin and Billy Gowers have we ever recruited a decent player from Carlton?

Didn't Adrian Gallagher play ok for us in the 70s

bornadog
10-08-2018, 10:07 AM

What about Klomp :D

Mofra
10-08-2018, 11:26 AM

Did Simon Minton-Connell play at Carlton before we got him? He racked up a few clubs IIRC

Sedat
10-08-2018, 11:43 AM
Did Simon Minton-Connell play at Carlton before we got him? He racked up a few clubs IIRC
Cooky as well. Great season in 1998 for us.

Axe Man
10-08-2018, 12:02 PM
Cooky as well. Great season in 1998 for us.

I think he was better in 97.

Mark Naley was another success story.:rolleyes:

Twodogs
10-08-2018, 12:42 PM
Didn't Adrian Gallagher play ok for us in the 70s

Came across under the ten year rule. I think it's fair to say that Gags' time with us wasn't his most productive in league footy.

He did OK but given we would have been paying him hired gun rates we would have been expecting a bit more for our investment.

Twodogs
10-08-2018, 12:44 PM
What about Klomp :D

What about the fact that we lived at a time that a portable telly was considered prestigious enough to be awarded to a footballer. They would t even bother coming down to the presentation area to pick it up these days!

Jeanette54
10-08-2018, 01:57 PM

Ken Greenwood and John Reilly spring to mind.

Twodogs
10-08-2018, 02:15 PM
CAN EVERYONE STOP ANSWERING MY *!*!*!*!ING RHETORICAL QUESTION!!!!

We have had no good footballers from Carlton except for Billy Gowers. And Phil Maylin.

Actually I think one of our early VFL captain/coach/hired gun type players from our early VFL years was ex Carlton. I just can't remember his name,

westdog54
10-08-2018, 02:17 PM

We have had no good footballers from Carlton except for Billy Gowers. And Phil Maylin.

Actually I think one of our early VFL captain/coach/hired gun type players from our early VFL years was ex Carlton. I just can't remember his name,

If you of all people can't remember his name he probably doesn't exist.

Happy Days
10-08-2018, 02:23 PM

Didn't even get to bring up Ben Harrison

Ghost Dog
10-08-2018, 02:28 PM
Well, we have a history of giving Carlton good players. Liam Jones for example. You can't say he isn't any good. Why would they otherwise put him on 300k a year? See? Proof!

bornadog
10-08-2018, 02:59 PM
Well, we have a history of giving Carlton good players. Liam Jones for example. You can't say he isn't any good. Why would they otherwise put him on 300k a year? See? Proof!

Liam is less than average.

Twodogs
10-08-2018, 04:05 PM
If you of all people can't remember his name he probably doesn't exist.

It's because of all the rhetorical answers! But it will come to me.

It might take a couple of weeks but it will drop into place. I'm starting to forget what the thing I was trying to remember was. So I will have a name and then I have to try and remember what it was I was trying to remember about them. "Governer General?" "Nup" Did he ride the winner of the 1989 Cox Plate?" "Don't think so"

Big twitch.

Dry Rot
10-08-2018, 11:04 PM

How many times can I like this post?

You've just sent TwoDogs into years of therapy by posting it.

I'll help too.913

bulldogsthru&thru
11-08-2018, 10:39 AM
Barrett reporting the AFL considering giving the saints a priority pick too. I’m not sure how much more I can take from this shambles of a league. We could seriously argue for one too on that basis. The last two seasons (this one and last) we’ve finished one place on the ladder above them and even in our premiership year they finished ninth and us 7th....ok I’m taking the pi$$ but seriously how can a side who has finished 9th, 11th and 15th in the last 3 seasons get a priority pick!? Especially considering they’ve just lost an all time great and voluntarily turfed it’s experienced players? I know Gil is a saints fan and they sent in Lethlan but they aren’t even trying to hide the fact they’ve taken over the club

Twodogs
11-08-2018, 11:30 AM
It's getting to the "enough rope" stage. All we will have to do is give it a decent tug and Gil and his mates will be done.

ledge
11-08-2018, 11:51 AM
I think it’s time they did a draw out of a hat for the bottom 8 draft picks.
Then 1 to 8 go in order.
Gets rid of any idea of tanking or who finishes 9 th gets first pick then work it down eg 10 gets pick two.
These sides on the bottom for so long means they have a terrible structure, giving them another pick doesn’t fix it, it actually can destroy a kids career.

Rocket Science
11-08-2018, 01:02 PM
Initiating a draft lottery, the drawing of which to be televised in prime-time with Hutchy hosting and Vegas-style dancing girls is totally a thing I can imagine Gill's AFEL doing.

Twodogs
11-08-2018, 01:22 PM
I think it’s time they did a draw out of a hat for the bottom 8 draft picks.
Then 1 to 8 go in order.
Gets rid of any idea of tanking or who finishes 9 th gets first pick then work it down eg 10 gets pick two.
These sides on the bottom for so long means they have a terrible structure, giving them another pick doesn’t fix it, it actually can destroy a kids career.

I will give up on the AFL if they bring in a draft lottery. It doesn't solve the problem of tanking because you still get an advantage the lower you finish,it's just seppo bullshit to make the coverage go longer.

jeemak
11-08-2018, 02:22 PM
The AFL have been stuffing things up through intervention for a while now, and it seems that their remedy for this is stuffing things up through intervention.

They are so lucky they don't have prominent competitors in this country.

Twodogs
11-08-2018, 03:08 PM
The AFL have been stuffing things up through intervention for a while now, and it seems that their remedy for this is stuffing things up through intervention.

The current AFL Administration are just a bunch of cowboys. They are like renovators who come on the job, make a huge mess and pull half the roof off then disappear for six weeks leaving a tarp over the hole in the roof. It's a good thing they have plenty of tarp.

bulldogsthru&thru
11-08-2018, 03:54 PM

You have to laugh that what they are trying to do is to keep the game ahead of soccer. If soccer was actually a legitimate threat to the sport, the AFL would no longer exist such is the poor administration of it

LostDoggy
11-08-2018, 08:38 PM
You have to laugh that what they are trying to do is to keep the game ahead of soccer. If soccer was actually a legitimate threat to the sport, the AFL would no longer exist such is the poor administration of it

Hard to imagine that soccer admin is even worse than AFL. Who gets investigated by FIFA?

soupman
15-08-2018, 04:05 PM
Ok as it stands now I would be doing the following:

Retired:
Clay Smith

Cut: (Pay out if need be, the list spot is more valuable than the $200k of cap room)
Tom Campbell
Fletcher Roberts
Lukas Webb - Don't think he'll make it with us. Neck injury is unfortunate.
Mitch Honeychurch
Jordan Roughead - Obviously if someone will take him trade or FA but otherwise cut.
Shane Biggs - Believe he is gone.
Liam Picken - If you spend a year out with concussion and have already achieved everything you will in your career why risk it.

Trade/Allow to leave:
Wallis - Has limitations and basically nets us West.

Promote:
Billy Gowers
Brad Lynch
Roarke Smith - Not huge on Lynch or Smith but can't keep them on the rookie list any longer and the club clearly thinks theres something there. If we can re-rookie either then do so.

Other leaving options:
Young - Can't get a game at all. If someone is interested i would look at it.
Porter - If we can move him to rookie list do it.
Dickson - Unsure on him. Can still offer something but not if he only fit for 5 games a year.
Collins - Would be happy to keep as depth, but if we are pushed wouldn't be a huge loss.
Morris - Probably plays on and certainly deserves to.
NMM - Rookie tall so could get another year especially as there will likely be heaps more rookie spots, but needs to show something.
Redpath - Is he depth now that or forwardline should have at least Schache and one of Trengove and Boyd up there each week?
Jong - He's not going to be better than a 20-25 ranked player on our list, so if we get an offer take it otherwise keep.

I would keep Dahlhaus and Liberatore. The compensation we would get is not enough and both add a lot to the side when fit.

So that's 9 off the list, 3 rookies on, leaving 6 spots.

I would fill them with 2 older guys for cheap. Candidates include:
Sam Lloyd: According to BF we are into him. Plays well when given the opportunity, and is a natural forward.
Jacob Townsend: Effective forward who is on the fringe somewhat at Richmond.
Rory Atkins: Apparently we are keen on him. Offers run.
Riley Knight: Struggled for games this year through injury and form. I've rated hi previously as a high forward who we might be able to turn into a mid.
Ben Keays: We bid on him in his draft year and with just two games this year isn't getting much of a look in. Small mid type but apparently skilfull.
Jacob Allison: Bigger mid who got a run of games last year but then very little this year. Don't know why.
Darcy Tucker: Skilfull mid who could be brought home I think. Still on the fringes there.
Jack Scrimshaw: Pick 7 who has barely played. Tallish rebound defender who could be a bargain buy.
Callum Ah Chee: Creative forward who could push into midfield, still slight.
Jarryd Lyons: Good mid who has missed a lot of footy this year due to unkown reasons, presumably attitude. COuld be a warning sign but would help add depth to our midfield.
Will Brodie: Another inside mid who hasn't played a smuch as anticipated. Not sure if he has been injured though.
Billy Stretch: Smallish mid that is fringe at Melbourne and we might be able to find a role for.
Jayden Hunt: Gun last year, shithouse this year. Could be worth targetting, the potential payoff is huge and his value isn't super high atm.
Jake Neade: I don't really rate him but small opportunist forward he is.
Shai Bolton: Small opportunist forward who is behind about 7 others at Richmond. Could be worth targetting.
Dan Butler: Good using small forward at Richmond who is in their best 22 but closer to the fringes.
Nic Newman: Playes everywhere except the middle and is a nice kick. Keeps getting dropped this year, not sure why.

Then that leaves 4 draft picks, pick 5, West, Khamis and pick 88. Plus 3 rookies.

Good turnover.

DOG GOD
15-08-2018, 04:17 PM

Retired:
Clay Smith

Cut: (Pay out if need be, the list spot is more valuable than the $200k of cap room)
Tom Campbell
Fletcher Roberts
Mitch Honeychurch
Jordan Roughead - Obviously if someone will take him trade or FA but otherwise cut.
Liam Picken - If you spend a year out with concussion and have already achieved everything you will in your career why risk it.

Trade/Allow to leave:
Wallis - Has limitations and basically nets us West.

Promote:
Billy Gowers
Brad Lynch
Roarke Smith - Not huge on Lynch or Smith but can't keep them on the rookie list any longer and the club clearly thinks theres something there. If we can re-rookie either then do so.

Other leaving options:
Young - Can't get a game at all. If someone is interested i would look at it.
Porter - If we can move him to rookie list do it.
Dickson - Unsure on him. Can still offer something but not if he only fit for 5 games a year.
Collins - Would be happy to keep as depth, but if we are pushed wouldn't be a huge loss.
Morris - Probably plays on and certainly deserves to.
NMM - Rookie tall so could get another year especially as there will likely be heaps more rookie spots, but needs to show something.
Redpath - Is he depth now that or forwardline should have at least Schache and one of Trengove and Boyd up there each week?
Jong - He's not going to be better than a 20-25 ranked player on our list, so if we get an offer take it otherwise keep.

I would keep Dahlhaus and Liberatore. The compensation we would get is not enough and both add a lot to the side when fit.

So that's 9 off the list, 3 rookies on, leaving 6 spots.

I would fill them with 2 older guys for cheap. Candidates include:
Sam Lloyd: According to BF we are into him. Plays well when given the opportunity, and is a natural forward.
Jacob Townsend: Effective forward who is on the fringe somewhat at Richmond.
Rory Atkins: Apparently we are keen on him. Offers run.
Riley Knight: Struggled for games this year through injury and form. I've rated hi previously as a high forward who we might be able to turn into a mid.
Ben Keays: We bid on him in his draft year and with just two games this year isn't getting much of a look in. Small mid type but apparently skilfull.
Jacob Allison: Bigger mid who got a run of games last year but then very little this year. Don't know why.
Darcy Tucker: Skilfull mid who could be brought home I think. Still on the fringes there.
Jack Scrimshaw: Pick 7 who has barely played. Tallish rebound defender who could be a bargain buy.
Callum Ah Chee: Creative forward who could push into midfield, still slight.
Jarryd Lyons: Good mid who has missed a lot of footy this year due to unkown reasons, presumably attitude. COuld be a warning sign but would help add depth to our midfield.
Will Brodie: Another inside mid who hasn't played a smuch as anticipated. Not sure if he has been injured though.
Billy Stretch: Smallish mid that is fringe at Melbourne and we might be able to find a role for.
Jayden Hunt: Gun last year, shithouse this year. Could be worth targetting, the potential payoff is huge and his value isn't super high atm.
Jake Neade: I don't really rate him but small opportunist forward he is.
Shai Bolton: Small opportunist forward who is behind about 7 others at Richmond. Could be worth targetting.
Dan Butler: Good using small forward at Richmond who is in their best 22 but closer to the fringes.
Nic Newman: Playes everywhere except the middle and is a nice kick. Keeps getting dropped this year, not sure why.

Then that leaves 4 draft picks, pick 5, West, Khamis and pick 88. Plus 3 rookies.

Good turnover.

Great post Soupaman, the only difference I’d have is keep Wallis and move on Dahl, mainly on the basis that Wallis at least can give us something up forward, and doesn’t kick the footy like a sack of wheat AS MUCH as what Dahl does.

I’d certainly hang on to Dickson and hopefully he can get thru 2019 unscathed. I still think he adds a lot to our fwd structure and is by far our best shot on goal.

Of the players from other teams you mentioned Rory Atkins would be very high on my list but would cost a bit unfortunately.
Other than him Riley Knight, Shai Bolton and Jake Neade (if very cheap) I would look at.

I’ve always liked the look of Newman from Sydney, but we have a plethora of back flankers, but his kicking is certainly a strong point.

I agree that this would be the ideal turnover for our list and pick 5, West, khamis and pick 88 would be a great result onto our list.

bornadog
15-08-2018, 04:58 PM

Retired:
Clay Smith

AGREE ON ALL EXCEPT Cut: (Pay out if need be, the list spot is more valuable than the $200k of cap room)
Tom Campbell
Fletcher Roberts
Mitch Honeychurch
Jordan Roughead - Obviously if someone will take him trade or FA but otherwise cut. I am in two minds

Trade/Allow to leave:
Wallis - Has limitations and basically nets us West. KEEP

Promote:
Billy Gowers YES
Brad Lynch YES
Roarke Smith I am not unsure whether he will make it

Other leaving options:
Young - Keep
Porter - rookie
Dickson - KEEP
Collins - OUT
Morris - Probably plays on and certainly deserves to. - Playing Coaching role - but not all games.
NMM - GONE

Good turnover.

I think we may end up getting a surprise on a trade, but that is just gut feel.

Jong and Redpath - again not sure - they have had a long time at the club.

Jeanette54
15-08-2018, 05:31 PM

We have been awful quiet on the trade front, so far.

bornadog
15-08-2018, 05:34 PM
We have been awful quiet on the trade front, so far.

I mean a trade out :D

Axe Man
15-08-2018, 05:35 PM
Don't all national draftees get a 2 year deal? I don't think we can rookie Porter unless we paid out and delisted him, then rookie listed. Can't see that happening. Would send a terrible message to prospective draftees.

Every indication from Picken has been that he will play on and surely the club will respect whatever decision he makes.

Delist Roarke Smith, I've seen no signs that he will make it. Lynch showed more promise in his first game than Smith ever has.

Is Boyd, English and Trengove too skinny a ruck division? Happy to keep one of Campbell or Roughy if circumstances allow. May need a mature aged backup if both leave.

I would only trade Young if the offer was too good to refuse. He is still tracking well for a 19 year old second season tall.

Happy Days
15-08-2018, 05:45 PM
Great effort post Soupsman, I've been thinking about compiling a list of some recycled guys to look at too; I don't agree with a lot of those outlined (if we pick up Jayden Hunt I'll choke out Sam Power with one of his headbands) but it's some good food for thought.

If Roughy, Dahl and Wal all leave we'll probably end up with more picks than we need points for, so trading a second for an established player in a position of need could be on. I've mentioned I like Scrimshaw elsewhere, and would love Brodie but I don't think any pick we'll receive in compensation is enough. I think we'll get Lloyd for free or close enough to it.

I'd also look at a ruckman, although given Trengove's last few weeks this might not be as essential as it looked about a month ago. I really believe that putting resources into ruck recruiting isn't worth the effort (@ St Kilda), but at the same time I don't agree with Bevo's zero-sum approach. It's been repeatedly proven that trading in rucks and/or recruiting extremely tall guys works out, so with that in mind I'd take a look at:

Braydon Preuss - I'm astounded he hasn't played this year and so is he apparently. North will probably want a lot for him but he's expendable in the wake of Goldstein's mini-career renaissance. I've read that he doesn't have a tank but he's like 22 and also North seem determined to make it self-fulfilling prophecy by playing him up forward every other week in the VFL. My dude is 206cm tall and looks like Hulk Hogan if he were taken to by a rolling pin, so I'm inclined to suggest they're overthinking him just a little bit. Would be my number one target.

Darcy Cameron - has been dominating the NEAFL, dominated the U/18 and has a pretty physical game; reminds me a lot of Nankervis who you'd have to think Bevo would love to have

Reilly O'Brien - absolute mountain who can't get a look in ahead of Sam Jacobs at the Crows. From Maribynong Park so he's local, and allegedly has pretty good tap work.

Jon Ceglar - gets games at Hawthorn but is pretty clearly behind Mcevoy, and has a bit of talent around the ground in addition to being absolutely massive. 27 years old, perfect age to come straight into the no. 1 role

Twodogs
15-08-2018, 05:56 PM
Reilly O'Brien - absolute mountain who can't get a look in ahead of Sam Jacobs at the Crows. From Maribynong Park so he's local, and allegedly has pretty good tap work.

The last mature age ruckman we bought on from the Crows worked out well for us.

Twodogs
15-08-2018, 05:57 PM

Jong and Redpath - again not sure - they have had a long time at the club.

Someone might go pig shooting you think?

Topdog
16-08-2018, 09:26 AM
Redpath just has to go. Jong is clearly in Bevos top 25 so will stay but gee he'd want to get on the park more.

I don't see anything in Smith, Lynch has shown much more in less time

Bullies
16-08-2018, 11:12 AM
Redpath just has to go. Jong is clearly in Bevos top 25 so will stay but gee he'd want to get on the park more.

I don't see anything in Smith, Lynch has shown much more in less time I agree with Redpath as he is not going to get any quicker. I'm not sure Lynch will make it either. Would be happy to cut both Lynch and Smith as well.

Axe Man
16-08-2018, 11:32 AM
Free agency situation 'a challenge' for Dogs (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-08-16/free-agency-situation-a-challenge-for-dogs)

THE WESTERN Bulldogs have the most unsigned free agents in the AFL, and the challenge to retain them is proving a testing one for the club.

However, coach Luke Beveridge is hopeful the Dogs will sort through extensions for its uncontracted stars and preserve what he believes is a strong core group.

Jordan Roughead and Mitch Wallis came into the year as restricted free agents, with Luke Dahlhaus, Tom Liberatore and Dale Morris all unrestricted free agents.

Despite labelling its list situation as "a challenge", Beveridge believes the club's build is tracking in the right direction.

"We're almost in the extreme from a free agency point of view – I don't think any club has ever had five free agents," Beveridge told reporters on Thursday.

"I might be wrong, but that has its own challenges. It means there is some uncertainty from a list management point of view around the cap, and the others who need to be contracted but might have to wait … all of those sorts of things.

"It is a challenge, but that's the AFL world we live in now. I think we're managing it quite well, we're having regular meetings with player managers and I'm having meetings with the players themselves.

"It will take a little while for it all to work itself out at the end of the year."

Wallis and Dahlhaus have already garnered significant rival interest, while Roughead is also reportedly set to consider his options at season's end. Veteran Morris is in discussions regarding a deal taking him into 2019, while Liberatore's future remains up in the air.

While all five are likely to finish the Bulldogs' campaign uncontracted, Beveridge is hopeful of gaining an indication of where their future lies sooner rather than later.

"There are specific dates mandated in the post-year where we'll know for sure," Beveridge said.

"Informally, though, once the season is over for us, then we might ask for a stronger indication and that will help us make some decisions.

"But right now, it's about purely focusing on our next opponent."

Beveridge said he expects to be "duly compensated" should any of the five free agents leave the club at season's end but was reluctant to talk about the prospect of bringing rival players into the Western Bulldogs.

Instead, he said the club is likely to trust its current group going into 2019 and beyond.

"We've got a core group who will take us forward and hopefully be a part of our next success as a club," Beveridge said.

"There's no doubt we'll go to the draft and pick the brightest and best available young players who will come to the Western Bulldogs and be important for us.

"But making statements around what else, I don't like to do that. I just think it's a bit too disrespectful for our own group."

boydogs
23-08-2018, 12:23 AM
if we pick up Jayden Hunt I'll choke out Sam Power with one of his headbands

My dude is 206cm tall and looks like Hulk Hogan if he were taken to by a rolling pin

You're quickly becoming one of my favourite posters :D

jeemak
23-08-2018, 01:52 AM
You're quickly becoming one of my favourite sociopaths :D

Edited for accuracy.

macca
23-08-2018, 02:06 AM
Any of these guys of interst from sydney:
Dean Towers: started in their best 22 this year for first 8 games, and only seen since round 15. 28 years of age.
Robbie Fox
Jordan Foote
Daniel robinson.

they have only played a few games this year.

Happy Days
23-08-2018, 02:20 AM
Edited for accuracy.

Where's the sad react button :-(

jeemak
23-08-2018, 03:05 AM
Where's the sad react button :-(

Own it HD. It’s in jest, even though you did talk about strangling Sam Power with his own head band.

divvydan
23-08-2018, 05:16 PM
Biggs has announced his retirement

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2018-08-23/biggs-announces-retirement

ledge
23-08-2018, 05:19 PM
Biggs has announced his retirement

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2018-08-23/biggs-announces-retirement

Wow he isn’t that old

bornadog
23-08-2018, 05:29 PM
So we have to date:

Clay Smith and Shane Biggs - gone.

bornadog
23-08-2018, 05:39 PM
So we have to date:

Clay Smith and Shane Biggs - gone.

Whose next?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DlQ8-LZUYAAw5Yh.jpg

Rocket Science
23-08-2018, 05:48 PM
I know he has a year to go but would anyone be stunned if Redpath was politely eased out the door?

EasternWest
23-08-2018, 05:50 PM
I know he has a year to go but would anyone be stunned if Redpath was politely eased out the door?

Not at all. I imagine that's exactly what will happen.

Topdog
23-08-2018, 05:54 PM
He should be. Was a very very surprising decision to give him 2 years

bulldogtragic
23-08-2018, 08:18 PM
I think Roberts, Campbell, Dickson & Redpath should all go. They can't get fit for long enough and/or get picked in the team, so one way or another I'd move all of them on. On top of Honeychurch who must go. Then we may lose two free agents. So that gives us 7 departures not accounting for anyone wanting a trade out. That's a good turnover.

azabob
23-08-2018, 08:36 PM
I’d be keeping Tory Dickson BT. He has in spades what we lack. Not injuries! But forward craft and most important he can kick a goal!!

bulldogtragic
23-08-2018, 09:01 PM
I’d be keeping Tory Dickson BT. He has in spades what we lack. Not injuries! But forward craft and most important he can kick a goal!!

He has talent and I rate him very, very highly. But he's only played 17 out of 43 games in the last two years (for 19 goals). I think his body might be sending us a signal that it wants to do something else. That's my only issue with Dicko at his age, getting on the park and staying on the park.

bornadog
23-08-2018, 09:47 PM
I think Roberts, Campbell, Dickson & Redpath should all go. They can't get fit for long enough and/or get picked in the team, so one way or another I'd move all of them on. On top of Honeychurch who must go. Then we may lose two free agents. So that gives us 7 departures not accounting for anyone wanting a trade out. That's a good turnover.

Webb?

bornadog
23-08-2018, 10:12 PM
Stevo:

Believe Dahlhaus wants to stay a Dog, but Geelong offer tempting due length of tenure ... believe 4 years on offer .. if Dogs can offer 3 and decent $ probably enough ... but right now on knife’s edge ... if status quo remains big chance leaves ... @7NewsMelbourne
(https://twitter.com/7NewsMelbourne)24

bulldogtragic
23-08-2018, 10:21 PM
Webb?

Unless his neck injury is career ending, I’d let him see out his contract next year.

On Dahl, if he’s getting $500,000+ over 4 years. I think I’d take the compo.

Go_Dogs
23-08-2018, 10:40 PM
Great effort post Soupsman, I've been thinking about compiling a list of some recycled guys to look at too; I don't agree with a lot of those outlined (if we pick up Jayden Hunt I'll choke out Sam Power with one of his headbands) but it's some good food for thought.

I don't mind Hunt....

Webb?

Webb is a tough one. He hasn't been able to develop as a ball winner and he lacks a bit of pace and/or penetration to be a damaging 15-20 disposal winner at AFL level. I'm 50/50 on his chances at the moment, but if he can get a better opportunity elsewhere I don't think we'd hold him back.

MrMahatma
24-08-2018, 11:49 PM
https://www.triplem.com.au/sport/afl/news/tom-browne-says-jack-redpath-is-set-to-retire?station=brisbane&geoRedirect=true

Talk that Redders will retire. Good mates with Biggs and injured often. Adds up. A year left on his contract though...

Hotdog60
25-08-2018, 07:59 AM
“His knees are basically gone [and] he isn’t overly happy at the Bulldogs I understand,” Browne said.

He got a 2 year deal on his last contract after a series of 1 year deals and was added to the leadership group. Why wouldn't he be happy at the Dogs?
I can understand if he wrote the that Redpath is frustrated with his body and has lost motivation to continue but that phrase indicates he's pissed off with the club.

Throughandthrough
25-08-2018, 08:18 AM
My postman just rang, expect whole sale cuts and trades at whitten oval at the end of the season. Too many party boys Don’t be surprised if Biggs and Dahlhaus are elsewhere next year.

Seems like the days of being a party club are ending , with Redpath going as well

comrade
25-08-2018, 10:03 AM
Seems like the days of being a party club are ending , with Redpath going as well

Postman delivered some good mail.

bulldogsthru&thru
25-08-2018, 10:19 AM
Interesting that out of all of them, we sound keen to keep Libba

Twodogs
25-08-2018, 11:32 AM

I'm not that suprised. Libba is close to the best player on our list

SonofScray
25-08-2018, 11:33 AM

The Last Surrealist.

Throughandthrough
25-08-2018, 01:43 PM
speaking of Libba

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFWne8J-0iU&feature=youtu.be

bornadog
25-08-2018, 06:47 PM
Bevo was asked about Redpath at his presso:

[On Jack Redpath rumours] Jack (Redpath) loves the football club, loves his teammates. He’s one of the most unfortunate players, having had some serious knee injuries. We’d love him to go on, but if physically he’s not able to, then we’ll work through that too.

westdog54
25-08-2018, 09:53 PM
Bevo was asked about Redpath at his presso:

Described Browne's report as fiction.

SonofScray
25-08-2018, 10:18 PM
Decided today we could do with Dylan Shiel.

bulldogtragic
25-08-2018, 10:23 PM
Decided today we could do with Dylan Shiel.

We need to go after a very good ball user. Shiel or Gaff would make me happy.

azabob
25-08-2018, 10:26 PM

Or Tim Toranto - 2 years to go on a contract though

Twodogs
25-08-2018, 10:27 PM

Maybe Shaun Higgins? I think he was a FA...

bulldogtragic
25-08-2018, 10:28 PM
Or Tim Toranto.

Or Josh Kelly.

Come to think of it, how the talent they've been handed, how the hell have of they not won the plastic premiership yet?

GVGjr
25-08-2018, 11:09 PM
Sam Landsberger is reporting that Dahlhaus is likely to leave us to take a 4 year deal from Geelong and we should receive 2nd round compensation which then should be enough to secure Rhylee West
He is also indicating that Roughead will go to West Coast.

Hotdog60
25-08-2018, 11:12 PM
After todays performance Roughy has already packed his bag.

bulldogtragic
26-08-2018, 12:56 AM
Sam Landsberger is reporting that Dahlhaus is likely to leave us to take a 4 year deal from Geelong and we should receive 2nd round compensation which then should be enough to secure Rhylee West
He is also indicating that Roughead will go to West Coast.

Roughy gets us Khamis. With West & Pick 7. I can live with that.

LostDoggy
26-08-2018, 08:05 AM
What about Bradley Hill and Mitch McGovern as rumoured both want out of clubs and Beveridge talked about bringing in senior players so might have something going under the radar as we haven't been linked with any players that I am aware off who would be classed as senior.
I would be really happy with both.
He also has a connection with Hill from Hawthorn days.

ledge
26-08-2018, 09:53 AM
Need to realise a few of things , both Dahl and Wallis are in our plans at the moment as they have both been offered contracts.
Looking for experienced players could mean anything , older players , young players who have played AFL, premiership players , basically could just be players who are already in the system.
We have money to spend and planned to before we know about Wallis or Dahl.
If we are just going the draft we are spending bugger all as they aren’t on a big wage and as you go deeper into the draft it gets less.
I would rookie khamis first if possible , I’ve watched him and to be honest I think he has a lot to learn before he becomes a player. Malik Daw scenario.
We can do better quicker with other players IMO. Im Also not sure we need another back man. Young is better and two years in the system.
Our focus should be on a hard nut centre to replace Clay Smiths bullying.
If we can get that our side will rise extremely quickly, we just need a scary hard player .
Shiel would be my target.

azabob
26-08-2018, 12:54 PM
OK, looking at BT's contract thread I think we are finally going to cut deep and hard.

Sam Power seems to be structured in his strategy and won't necessarily give multiple year deals like we have in the past. Fergus Greene is an example of this. Under the previous regime it was highly likely Fergus Greene would have received a 2 year extension.

*RE-SIGN: Mitch Wallis (3 years), Tom Liberatore (3 years), Dale Morris 1( year), Lin Jong (1 year), Tory Dickson (1 year)

*UP GRADE: Billy Gowers (2 years), Brad Lynch (yesterdays game gives him a 1 year deal).

*OUT: Jordan Roughead, Luke Dahlhaus, Mitch Honeychurch, Tom Campbell, Kieran Collins, Shane Biggs (retired), Jack Redpath (Retired), Roarke Smith, Nathan Mullenger-McHugh

*TRADE OPTIONS: Fletcher Roberts, Lukas Webb, Lin Jong, Lewis Young, Marcus Adams, Kieran Collins,

That should give us enough draft points to...... who am I kidding.... I have no idea about draft points & how it impacts bids etc.

Can a poster who understands the point system give their views on what impact priority picks will have if Carlton and GC receive them prior to our 1st pick.

If our 1st round pick is pushed back to say 10 or 11 are we more likely to have to use that pick on Rhylee West, as we will need to match the bid?

Personally I hope we pick the best player at our first pick even if that means passing over West.

bornadog
26-08-2018, 02:14 PM
Good post Aza, I think most posters are thinking the same. We really don't know what is happening with the Free agents, but it will all come to a head soon.

The one thing people must remember, the rookie list is separate to the senior list. Roarke and NMM delist doesn't give us extra spots. They along with Lynch are either in a senior spot or not.

ledge
26-08-2018, 04:39 PM
Aren’t the priority picks at the end of the first round , pick 19 and 20?

azabob
26-08-2018, 04:40 PM
Aren’t the priority picks at the end of the first round , pick 19 and 20?

AFL haven’t advised either way.