PDA

View Full Version : The Moving/Rolling Trading & Delisting Thread 2018

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9

kruder
27-08-2018, 12:27 AM
What sort of compo pick would we get for Dahl? Interestingly Motlop was worth an end of first round selection off the back of a 2mill 4 year contract. Surely Dahl would be getting something similar at the cats.

GVGjr
27-08-2018, 02:40 AM
What sort of compo pick would we get for Dahl? Interestingly Motlop was worth an end of first round selection off the back of a 2mill 4 year contract. Surely Dahl would be getting something similar at the cats.

I think that is around the mark

macca
27-08-2018, 03:32 AM
I hate to say it, but if Dahl does go to cats, his output will probably increase. Cats have a mature and bigger body midfielders. He could sit at their feet: Duncan, Gutherie, ablett, dangerfield and the selwoods. When in the forward line, he can also crumb of all the bullocking from dangerfield, hawkins and Ragtouglea.

I remember Dahl in his first few years with his dreadlock hair, streaming forward and finding goals out of nowhere. He has that nous, and if he gets plenty of crumbs and protection from bigger bodies, he could get more goals. Unfortunately his been smashed up against other opponents because we don't yet have the bigger bodies, or shield our own players from bumps.

If Dahl and Wallis goes, I hate to say this but Honeychurch is looking safer as being retained. Is it just being in the right time right place, with all the forces of the universe leaving holes on our list that HC could fill, because the recruiting is not prepared to take a punt on a potential better player?

Mofra
27-08-2018, 01:19 PM
Mayne was band 3 from memory? That's what I'd expect for Dahl, although this year there isn't too big a gap between band 2 and band 3.

Axe Man
27-08-2018, 06:33 PM
Mayne was band 3 from memory? That's what I'd expect for Dahl, although this year there isn't too big a gap between band 2 and band 3.

Yes Freo received second round compensation, however Mayne was 27 (about to turn 28) when he went to Collingwood, Dahlhaus is 26. That works in our favour as dollars and age are the important factors in compensation, not contract length.

AshMac
27-08-2018, 07:07 PM
I hate to say it, but if Dahl does go to cats, his output will probably increase. Cats have a mature and bigger body midfielders. He could sit at their feet: Duncan, Gutherie, ablett, dangerfield and the selwoods. When in the forward line, he can also crumb of all the bullocking from dangerfield, hawkins and Ragtouglea.

I remember Dahl in his first few years with his dreadlock hair, streaming forward and finding goals out of nowhere. He has that nous, and if he gets plenty of crumbs and protection from bigger bodies, he could get more goals. Unfortunately his been smashed up against other opponents because we don't yet have the bigger bodies, or shield our own players from bumps.

If Dahl and Wallis goes, I hate to say this but Honeychurch is looking safer as being retained. Is it just being in the right time right place, with all the forces of the universe leaving holes on our list that HC could fill, because the recruiting is not prepared to take a punt on a potential better player?

Agree w this completely. He seems to have lost his hunger and for whatever reason is struggling to regain it at the dogs. He played his best game for us this year against the cas when he brought his highest intensity and desperation to the contest. Thought he brought it the following week but then got injured which is a massive shame because a strong finish to the year surely would have done wonders in terms of the contract we’re prepared to offer. My gut tells me we aren’t offering him a longer contract because his work rate has been lower than they want and there is worry that a long contract could make him complacent. Could be wrong, just a hunch.

Def don’t want him to go and will hate seeing him in another teams colours, buuuuut an end of first round compo would be amazing!

EasternWest
27-08-2018, 10:18 PM
Fox Sports reporting Dahl to Geelong for 4 years at 500 k.

Good luck to him. Was hoping they'd fork out a bit more cash - he deserves it for what he's given us.

choconmientay
27-08-2018, 10:21 PM
Fox footy ...

LUKE Dahlhaus is destined to join Geelong on a long-term deal at the end of the season.

Foxfooty.com.au understands the 2016 Western Bulldogs premiership player has a four-year offer believed to be worth more than $500,000 per season from Geelong.

Depending on Geelong’s exact offer for Dahlhaus, it’s highly likely the Bulldogs would receive at least a mid-second round selection as compensation for losing him and maybe even a late first-round pick.

This selection would be bundled to ensure the Dogs can select Melbourne-based teenager West without using their top-10 pick.

Link (https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/exclusive-premiership-bulldog-luke-dahlhaus-set-to-join-geelong-on-a-longterm-deal/news-story/5228f9820e74213fb9206fd4073f2fa8)

If Dahl heart is not in it for us anymore and we can get West with his compensation pick, probably that the best for all.

bulldogtragic
27-08-2018, 10:33 PM
With the similarities to Motlop. I’d want end of first round for a 26yo, four years & $500,000+. The AFEL know we will chew threw it on Rhylee West, so just give us the extra 7 or so spots worth of draft points. Which will in part compensate us for losing draft points when they throw priority picks around like confetti.

Good for you Dahl, thanks for your service, but I have no wishes for Geelong to win any finals.

A tough call, but the right call for the list manager.

GVGjr
27-08-2018, 10:47 PM

Good luck to him. Was hoping they'd fork out a bit more cash - he deserves it for what he's given us.

If true and based on his form over the last two years he looks to have secured a very good deal for himself
I think we would have been close to that per year but would have only offered a 3 year deal and possibly an incentive based one

For a number of years he was a quality player, good luck to him

I thought he was still a strong chance to stay

comrade
27-08-2018, 10:52 PM
He was an enormous contributor to our flag, and was a shining light during the really crappy years prior to Bevo arriving.

I won't miss him butchering the ball like he was prone to doing over the past few years but I'll miss seeing him in our colours for sure.

bulldogtragic
27-08-2018, 10:59 PM
It’s clear this is about Rhylee. I’m prepared to bet that by the end of the contract, if not after 3 years, Rhylee will have Dahl covered. So if this is about new talent, the best talent, rebuilding our midfield for sustained success, for the best players possible, then this is a good call. The balance of our picks now cover Khamis nearly certainly. So we are squared away for these boys. Great news for our talent profile.

Prince Imperial
27-08-2018, 11:15 PM
My head has thought this was a good idea for a while now but seeing this reported tonight does sadden my heart.

Ozza
27-08-2018, 11:49 PM
Seems inevitable now. Sad to see him go, as he’s been terrific for the club and his love of playing in the red, white & blue through his years has been really visible and obvious - and at his best he would deadset get his head knocked off for the club.

If he is leaving, I hope and suspect that our supporters will be respectful about it, given what he has given us.

bornadog
27-08-2018, 11:52 PM
So far everything Tom Morris reports on Foxfooty is rubbish. I will wait till it's confirmed.

Bulldog4life
28-08-2018, 10:36 AM

Even the stars at Geelong accept unders according to C. Scott.

bulldogsthru&thru
28-08-2018, 10:40 AM
Dahl wants to stay. But we obviously think he's not worth what Geelong are offering. I'm fine with that. But i just hope this attitude doesn't upset the playing group too much. It's a fine line between offering a player what we see as his worth and keeping the playing group loyal and together....

angelopetraglia
28-08-2018, 10:57 AM
I know we are supposed to embrace this new modern AFL world where players move clubs more frequently (and the AFL PA have been pushing for more freedom for years). But let's be very careful we don't destroy the competition by a thousand cuts. One of the great things about our game is the players loyalty and the players attachment to their clubs.

The "Dollhouse" is one of my children's fabourite player. They have been proud members of the Dahlhaus Clubhouse and my daughter proudly wears the number #6 on her back. She will cry when I tell her he is leaving and she won't understand (she is 10).

I actually think it's probably the right move to let him walk on those terms as we have so many similar types and West will clearly go past him in a couple of years ..... But ... to let another Premiership player leave our club and to see him run around in different colours will hurt all Bulldog supporters.

bulldogtragic
28-08-2018, 11:01 AM
I know we are supposed to embrace this new modern AFL world where players move clubs more frequently (and the AFL PA have been pushing for more freedom for years). But let's be very careful we don't destroy the competition by a thousand cuts. One of the great things about our game is the players loyalty and the players attachment to their clubs.

The "Dollhouse" is one of my children's fabourite player. They have been proud members of the Dahlhaus Clubhouse and my daughter proudly wears the number #6 on her back. She will cry when I tell her he is leaving and she won't understand (she is 10).

I actually think it's probably the right move to let him walk on those terms as we have so many similar types and West will clearly go past him in a couple of years ..... But ... to let another Premiership player leave our club and to see him run around in different colours will hurt all Bulldog supporters.

Interesting point about the Dahlhaus Clubhouse. The club better have an alternative strategy for it already. Who would you daughters lean towards? Boyd, Bonts, Richards (kind of looks like Ed Sheeran)?

Hot_Doggies
28-08-2018, 11:06 AM

It wont hurt as much as if English , Williams or Naughton left in a few years.

Saving 200k here and there could be very important.

bulldogsthru&thru
28-08-2018, 11:11 AM
Interesting point about the Dahlhaus Clubhouse. The club better have an alternative strategy for it already. Who would you daughters lean towards? Boyd, Bonts, Richards (kind of looks like Ed Sheeran)?

Fergus!

bulldogsthru&thru
28-08-2018, 11:12 AM
It wont hurt as much as if English , Williams or Naughton left in a few years.

Saving 200k here and there could be very important.

I worry about Naughton and English....WA recruits are risky

GVGjr
28-08-2018, 11:44 AM
I worry about Naughton and English....WA recruits are risky

Outside of Hamling who probably had good reason we haven't had too many issues.
It's a consideration but I'd back us to pick the right types that can handle relocations.

bulldogsthru&thru
28-08-2018, 11:54 AM
It's a consideration but I'd back us to pick the right types that can handle relocations.

I think the both of them are the best types you can get. Naughton grew up in Melbourne and English is a country boy who do seem to be more loyal and less affected by relocation. TBH i have more concern over Naughton than English. Always worried me he took longer to extend than Richards and then only extended for a year as opposed to 2 like Richards....but he did extend! I think if we start stringing together good performances and regularly play finals, it'd be hard for any player to want to leave

Cyberdoggie
28-08-2018, 02:31 PM
While I will miss Dahlhaus's tenacity, his poor kicking and lack of versatility have ultimately limited him in the current side.

To be honest we haven't missed him one bit since he has been out injured, midfield has been functioning better than ever and we are kicking more accurately. I totally forgot he was even injured.

I think it is pretty clear that Bevo is focussing on specific types of players (elite disposal skills, multi-positional), and there are a few that just haven't been able to make that criteria.
Dahlhaus, Honeychurch, Biggs, Roughead for example.
I think Wallis was a real worry but has busted his gut and put in some good performances up forward and in the middle. Has shown that he is a very accurate kick for goal as well when we needed someone to stand up.

We will see a bit of a clean up this off-season, and the club will look to bring in some more talent.

An Andrew Gaff type would be perfect I think.

bornadog
28-08-2018, 02:34 PM
Just a rumour on Twitter - Adams wanting to go home again??? Anyone heard anything. I don't believe in rumours , but who knows.

EasternWest
28-08-2018, 02:35 PM
While I will miss Dahlhaus's tenacity, his poor kicking and lack of versatility have ultimately limited him in the current side.

To be honest we haven't missed him one bit since he has been out injured, midfield has been functioning better than ever and we are kicking more accurately. I totally forgot he was even injured.

I think it is pretty clear that Bevo is focussing on specific types of players (elite disposal skills, multi-positional), and there are a few that just haven't been able to make that criteria.
Dahlhaus, Honeychurch, Biggs, Roughead for example.
I think Wallis was a real worry but has busted his gut and put in some good performances up forward and in the middle. Has shown that he is a very accurate kick for goal as well when we needed someone to stand up.

We will see a bit of a clean up this off-season, and the club will look to bring in some more talent.

An Andrew Gaff type would be perfect I think.

Agree with all of this CD.

Funnily enough, I think Luke would be a good fit for Geelong so really it's a win for everyone.

That's footy these days. I'll always love Dahl, but I love the club more.

bornadog
Confirmed - Delists, Kieran Collins and NMM from rookie list

Sedat
Collins and NM-M delisted. We're cutting hard by the looks.

Happy Days
28-08-2018, 02:38 PM
Doesn't read like Collins will be reconsidered for a rookie spot.

bornadog
28-08-2018, 02:40 PM
3 Changes not 4, can't count rookie list.

Link (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2018-08-28/bulldogs-confirm-list-changes) The Western Bulldogs have confirmed that Kieran Collins and Nathan Mullenger-McHugh have not been offered contracts for the 2019 season.

Collins spent three years at the Bulldogs after being a second-round selection in the 2015 NAB AFL Draft, and played his sole game for the Club in Round 9, 2016.

Mullenger-McHugh has been on the Bulldogs’ rookie list for the past two seasons and represented the Club’s VFL team Footscray 37 times, booting 19 goals.

“We’d like to thank Kieran and Nathan for their hard work and commitment during their time at the Western Bulldogs, and we wish them all the best for the future,” said the Club’s General Manager of List and Recruiting, Sam Power.

The Bulldogs have made four changes to their 2018 playing list at this stage, following the retirements of Clay Smith and Shane Biggs.

Axe Man
28-08-2018, 02:44 PM
3 Changes not 4, can't count rookie list.

Why not, it's still a change to the overall list.

whythelongface
28-08-2018, 02:45 PM

Fair call by the club. We seem to have reasonable depth in defence thus Collins seems surplus to our needs (although i just noticed BAD's post noting the rumour regarding Adams - hopefully it is just that).

bornadog
28-08-2018, 02:45 PM
Why not, it's still a change to the overall list.

Yes it is, however, everything is based around the senior list.

bornadog
28-08-2018, 02:46 PM
The current situation

Draft picks (after home and away season): 6, 42, 59, 60, 78

Who has left: Shane Biggs (retired), Clay Smith (retired), Kieran Collins (delisted), Nathan Mullenger-McHugh (delisted)

Who has arrived: Nil
Promoted rookies: Nil
Retained rookies: Nil

Sedat
28-08-2018, 02:52 PM
After our swap of pick 11 with Carlton for pick 20 and 21 a few years ago, it is now a straight swap of Charlie Curnow for Dunkley.

We got a little too cute with that trade in hindsight. Very glad we nailed the Dunkley pick.

Also interesting that easily the best full-backs in that TAC year were Weitering and Collins, and both have really struggled to develop at senior level. Shows just how good Naughton has been this year.

bornadog
28-08-2018, 02:53 PM
After our swap of pick 11 with Carlton for pick 20 and 21 a few years ago, it is now a straight swap of Charlie Curnow for Dunkley.

We got a little too cute with that trade in hindsight. Very glad we nailed the Dunkley pick.

Also interesting that easily the best full-backs in that TAC year were Wietering and Collins, and both have really struggled to develop at senior level. Shows just how good Naughton has been this year.

All due to stupid rule changes in TAC :D

Mantis
28-08-2018, 02:54 PM
What a bust the Collins selection was.

Thank *!*!*!*! Dunkley looks like a 200+ gamer.

Happy Days
28-08-2018, 03:10 PM

Also interesting that easily the best full-backs in that TAC year were Weitering and Collins, and both have really struggled to develop at senior level. Shows just how good Naughton has been this year.

Apart from a slick piece of PR by the club after the draft this trade has been shocking from inception. No need for hindsight.

bulldogsthru&thru
28-08-2018, 03:13 PM
Still no word re Redpath. Exit interviews today so you'd expect to hear confirmation or not on his retirement

Greystache
28-08-2018, 03:15 PM

Caleb Daniel would have to have some appeal.

Greystache
28-08-2018, 03:17 PM
Disappointing to blow an earlyish pick on Collins. He never really looked like it if we're honest. Slow athletically and slower by mind, he never stood a chance. Pretty ordinary recruiting.

bornadog
28-08-2018, 03:50 PM
Disappointing to blow an earlyish pick on Collins. He never really looked like it if we're honest. Slow athletically and slower by mind, he never stood a chance. Pretty ordinary recruiting.

We are all experts in hindsight

jeemak
28-08-2018, 03:54 PM
I can still see the rationale in doing what we did at the time, if Curnow hadn't turned out the way he has we'd probably still be fine with taking the chance.

Not sure if Curnow was even on our radar, however.

Hopefully Dunks maintains and improves on his form. If he does, and turns into an out and out A-grade player which he has the potential to do then it won't hurt as much.

Ozza
28-08-2018, 03:57 PM

Yeah. Every team gets some wrong. We picked pretty well during the period, but Collins didn't work out unfortunately.

Ozza
28-08-2018, 04:03 PM
2015 is looking like a smelly draft.

Melbourne clearly have a pick of the lot with Oliver at pick no.4, already one of the elite players of the competition.

KT31
28-08-2018, 04:10 PM

From memory the club stated it would have still taken Collins with pick 11, so we would have missed on Dunkley.

Greystache
28-08-2018, 04:13 PM

And recruiters are paid to recruit without needing hindsight. A player with his athletic profile would need a brilliant footy brain to make the grade at AFL level, nothing I saw of Collins suggested he had anything resembling that. Hence it was pretty ordinary recruiting.

Bulldog4life
28-08-2018, 04:52 PM

My money is on Collingwood snapping Collins up. Still only young and had unfortunate injuries. I wished we had retained him.

bulldogsthru&thru
28-08-2018, 05:09 PM
My money is on Collingwood snapping Collins up. Still only young and had unfortunate injuries. I wished we had retained him.

Let's first see who we put on the list instead of him....i've got this feeling we will have a big trade period this year

bornadog
28-08-2018, 06:14 PM
Who gets to stay?

Contracts due now.

Mitch Wallis
Luke Dahlhaus
Tom Campbell
Tom Liberatore
Mitch Honeychurch
Jordan Roughead
Tory Dickson
Dale Morris
Lin Jong
Brad Lynch (R)
Billy Gowers (R)
Roarke Smith (R)

Surely Honeychurch gone

bulldogtragic
28-08-2018, 06:21 PM
Not sure how Smith & Honeychurch missed the first cut.

ratsmac
28-08-2018, 06:23 PM

If Collingwood did take him as delisted free agent, do we get any compensation?

bulldogtragic
28-08-2018, 06:24 PM

No. No compo on DFAs

ratsmac
28-08-2018, 06:26 PM

I know right. They wouldn't have missed if I had anything to do with it.

I get the feeling that Smith is Bevo's darling much like Nathan Brown was Wallace's and Daisy Thomas was Malthouse's.

bornadog

I wonder if they will try and trade him????? Is he worth anything

bulldogtragic
I know right. They wouldn't have missed if I had anything to do with it.

I get the feeling that Smith is Bevo's darling much like Nathan Brown was Wallace's and Daisy Thomas was Malthouse's.

Except the other two could seriously play!

Mofra
28-08-2018, 06:28 PM
Ed's Shed.

He gets a few extra dollars from our club marketing allowance too which helps retain him. Get it done, dogs.

bornadog
28-08-2018, 06:35 PM
Mark Stevens‏ @Stevo7AFL (https://twitter.com/Stevo7AFL)

Busy day of exit meetings at the Bulldogs. Luke Dahlhaus emerged after 4 hour visit ... has he left the kennel for the last time? The latest @7NewsMelbourne (https://twitter.com/7NewsMelbourne) tonight

Bulldog4life
28-08-2018, 07:13 PM

Not sure. Don't think so.

azabob
28-08-2018, 08:16 PM

Honeychurch spot may be dependent on if Dahl stays or goes.

I think Smith should be moved on but he was given every opportunity to play so he appears more likely to get a contract than not.

SonofScray
28-08-2018, 08:20 PM
Who gets to stay?

I suspect it will look like this:

Mitch Wallis
Tom Liberatore
Dale Morris
Lin Jong
Brad Lynch UPGRADE
Billy Gowers UPGRADE
Roarke Smith UPGRADE

AshMac
28-08-2018, 08:28 PM
I can still see the rationale in doing what we did at the time, if Curnow hadn't turned out the way he has we'd probably still be fine with taking the chance.

Not sure if Curnow was even on our radar, however.

Hopefully Dunks maintains and improves on his form. If he does, and turns into an out and out A-grade player which he has the potential to do then it won't hurt as much.

I heard from a (pretty informed) blues fan that curnow wasn’t on anyone’s radar after a drink driving incident pre draft. It was only after his brother pleaded his case that they gave him a proper look. Worked out ok for them, but I agree we wouldn’t have taken him with 11.

bulldogtragic
28-08-2018, 08:32 PM
Honeychurch spot may be dependent on if Dahl stays or goes.

I think Smith should be moved on but he was given every opportunity to play so he appears more likely to get a contract than not.

You may be right, but that's wrong of the club. Honeychurch can't play, so let's just end it. Smith must be a darling, if he gets a promotion or retain. He's done close to nothing. We know these guys ceiling, a late pick could be worse, same or maybe better. But I'm comforted by the fact there's still time to delist both.

Twodogs
28-08-2018, 09:19 PM
Andrew Purser and Murray Rance went home! :cool:

And recruiters are paid to recruit without needing hindsight. A player with his athletic profile would need a brilliant footy brain to make the grade at AFL level, nothing I saw of Collins suggested he had anything resembling that. Hence it was pretty ordinary recruiting.

Yep. Tend to agree.

Goes to show how beautifully Hawthorn played the Luce Hodge thing. One day Hodge is retired the next day Hawthorn are getting a draft pick for him.

AshMac
28-08-2018, 09:35 PM
Cal Twomey has Rhylee West as pick 14 now, was 18, then 16 so clearly he continues to impress. Ross Lyons unique ability to coach a team down the ladder toward the end of the season could cost us as Twomey's tipped picks 7 and 8 both being Sydney and North academy players respectively.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2018-draft-board-power-rankings-top-20-prospects-after-2018-home-and-away-season/news-story/a3d48805e72d3610244322815fb9dc5c

If this is accurate (and swans trade picks) we could end up with pick 9! I'm dead keen on Izak Rankine, but no chance we'll land
him there.

GVGjr
29-08-2018, 06:38 AM
Cal Twomey has Rhylee West as pick 14 now, was 18, then 16 so clearly he continues to impress. Ross Lyons unique ability to coach a team down the ladder toward the end of the season could cost us as Twomey's tipped picks 7 and 8 both being Sydney and North academy players respectively.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2018-draft-board-power-rankings-top-20-prospects-after-2018-home-and-away-season/news-story/a3d48805e72d3610244322815fb9dc5c

If this is accurate (and swans trade picks) we could end up with pick 9! I'm dead keen on Izak Rankine, but no chance we'll land
him there.
Despite the super draft tag, I'd be more than comfortable to look at trading the pick for an established player if we aren't confident of landing a player we really want. At the moment we appear to be out of the running to land one of those more fancied players.

FrediKanoute
29-08-2018, 06:42 AM
Despite the super draft tag, I'd be more than comfortable to look at trading the pick for an established player if we aren't confident of landing a player we really want. At the moment we appear to be out of the running to land one of those more fancied players.

I agree. Better off giving up a decent pick for McGovern say than a player earlier in the draft who is an unknown.

wimberga
29-08-2018, 07:19 AM
I agree. Better off giving up a decent pick for McGovern say than a player earlier in the draft who is an unknown.

This is a good point and while I agree, all my mail has McGovern going to Blues. He toured their facilities months ago.

AshMac
29-08-2018, 09:09 AM

Agree 100%. More than happy to trade in established quality - though I’d only want Shiel or Gaff of the players on the table so far. All mail has McGovern to blues who have pick 1 and Adelaide are desperate to land this jack lukosciois kid. The last thing we need is another tall marking forward when our clearances are under such intense duress and our delivery into the forward line is dreadful. If we can muster some magic and get a quality outside mid with leg speed and deadly disposal by foot then trade away. If there’s a chance at Rankine w our pick then draft.

Side point, really interested to see what our clearance quality (not count) will be like if Tim english can play 20 games next year.

Mofra
29-08-2018, 10:41 AM

him there.
Curtis Taylor not in the top 20? Interesting. If he tests remotely ok for endurance at the combine I'd certainly consider.

Dancin' Douggy
29-08-2018, 11:08 AM
Connor Rozee keeps climbing up the rankings too.
Right now he's slotted at pick 9
I could see us taking him.
Seems to have similar attributes to Rankine. 5cm taller too.

Anyone think Rozee is on our radar?

bulldogsthru&thru
29-08-2018, 11:13 AM
Would anyone be adverse to trading our first rounder this year and next year for Josh Kelly?

Mantis
29-08-2018, 11:58 AM
Would anyone be adverse to trading our first rounder this year and next year for Josh Kelly?

Where do I sign?

1eyedog
29-08-2018, 12:25 PM

Happy to throw in Mitch Honeychurch with that deal as well.

bornadog
29-08-2018, 12:59 PM
Old poster Chops ran into Adams and asked him if he was happy in Melbourne, and Adams said yes - so rumours about leaving maybe false.

bornadog
29-08-2018, 12:59 PM
would anyone be adverse to trading our first rounder this year and next year for josh kelly?

big yes!!!!

Mofra
29-08-2018, 01:01 PM
Old poster Chops ran into Adams and asked him if he was happy in Melbourne, and Adams said yes - so rumours about leaving maybe false.
He's hardly going to say "I'm miserable and Bevo kicks puppies" but given the likely high list turnover this off-season I hope he stays.

bornadog
29-08-2018, 01:02 PM
He's hardly going to say "I'm miserable and Bevo kicks puppies" but given the likely high list turnover this off-season I hope he stays.

True :D

EasternWest
29-08-2018, 03:05 PM

Maybe he knew Chops and just wanted to get out of the conversation :):):).

Topdog
29-08-2018, 03:09 PM
big yes!!!!

You are really that against it :p

bornadog
29-08-2018, 04:04 PM
You are really that against it :p

ha, I see re reading the post :D

Big Yes to get him in and reunite with the Bont

bornadog
29-08-2018, 04:08 PM
Who gets to stay?

Contracts due now.

Mitch Wallis
Luke Dahlhaus
Tom Campbell
Tom Liberatore
Mitch Honeychurch
Jordan Roughead
Tory Dickson
Dale Morris
Lin Jong
Brad Lynch (R)
Billy Gowers (R)
Roarke Smith (R)

We can cross Morris off the list - one year deal done.

AshMac
29-08-2018, 06:35 PM
Connor Rozee keeps climbing up the rankings too.
Right now he's slotted at pick 9
I could see us taking him.
Seems to have similar attributes to Rankine. 5cm taller too.

Anyone think Rozee is on our radar?

not really aware of him, will look him up. Love the idea of a a bit more height if we’re not sacrificing skill or impact

AshMac
29-08-2018, 06:37 PM

Draw up the paperwork

bulldogtragic
29-08-2018, 07:37 PM
Seems Dickson to stay, and despite rumours, Gowers to be elevated: from afl.com.au:

FORWARD duo Billy Gowers and Tory Dickson are set to follow Dale Morris' lead in re-committing to the Western Bulldogs.

AFL.com.au understands Gowers and Dickson are in the midst of contract negotiations as the Dogs prepare for a new-look list into 2019.

Gowers is expected to win a place on the Dogs' senior list following an impressive debut season, where he kicked 26 goals to win the club's goalkicking.

Plucked from the Footscray VFL side as a rookie after he was dumped from Carlton's list, Gowers was one of few shining lights for the Dogs this season.

Dickson, a 2016 premiership player, has been limited to 17 games in the past two seasons through various injuries including groin, quad and hamstring setbacks.

Turning 31 ahead of next season, Dickson provides depth in the front half following the retirement of Clay Smith, while Jack Redpath's future is in limbo.

Despite being contracted for next season, Redpath has flagged an early retirement with a decision to lie in the hands of medical staff after recent knee surgery.

Should Redpath opt to move on, the Dogs could lose a further four players to the retirements of Smith and Shane Biggs, while Kieran Collins and Nathan Mullenger-McHugh have been delisted.

A host of teammates remain without deals for next season including Lin Jong, Brad Lynch, Tom Campbell, Roarke Smith and Mitch Honeychurch.

Free agent Luke Dahlhaus continues to contemplate a move to his hometown of Geelong, with the Cats interested in adding another spark to play between midfield and attack.

Premiership ruckman Jordan Roughead is being courted by rivals and is expected to announce his free agency intentions in coming days.

Fellow free agent Mitch Wallis has significant interest from Brisbane and Essendon and will consider what role is on offer at the Dogs before deciding on where his future sits.

The Bulldogs players headed for post-season celebrations on Wednesday afternoon after two days of exit interviews at club headquarters.

Morris said he was grateful for the opportunity to extend his career into a 14th season in which he will begin as a 36-year-old.

"I'm one of the lucky ones that gets to play footy for a living, so to be able to do that again for another year at least, is something I'm really excited about," Morris said.

"There's a lot in the decision to play on, especially at 35. There's a lot in the physical side of things. Not only can you play a whole season, but get through another pre-season. They're long and they're tough.

"It's also the mental side of things. Footy is very demanding, physically and mentally. It's not a decision I make on my own - I talk to my wife and my kids.

"I want to play on for as long as I can. I love this job, I love this club, I love what I do."

Meanwhile, Geelong's interest in Dahlhaus has delayed talks on several Cats' futures.

Injury-prone small forwards Cory Gregson, sidelined for the rest of the season, and Lincoln McCarthy, who remains in the frame for finals, are out of contract at season's end.

Ruckman Rhys Stanley has agreed to terms on a new two-year deal, while Jackson Thurlow, George Horlin-Smith and Aaron Black are searching for new deals.

Free agent Daniel Menzel and out-of-contract wingman Jordan Murdoch have started preliminary talks with the Cats.

Go_Dogs
29-08-2018, 07:49 PM
On the draft front, I wonder if Rozee or Hately end up being ur first round selection (if we keep the pick).

kruder
29-08-2018, 09:15 PM

The super draft tag has gone very quite in recent months.

kruder
29-08-2018, 09:21 PM
On the draft front, I wonder if Rozee or Hately end up being ur first round selection (if we keep the pick).

Rozee is a massive chance for us. I'd suggest Fremtantle take one of the King brothers the pic before, Rozee's skill set is exactly what we are after.

GVGjr
29-08-2018, 09:46 PM
The super draft tag has gone very quite in recent months.

Its certainly not a superdraft in my opinion.

Dry Rot
29-08-2018, 11:03 PM
Its certainly not a superdraft in my opinion.

Interesting. How do you define a super draft? Any recent examples?

SonofScray
29-08-2018, 11:05 PM

Hope Adams didn't get injured in the collision!

GVGjr
29-08-2018, 11:24 PM
Interesting. How do you define a super draft? Any recent examples?

I think this draft is likely to thin out a fair bit after the first round. There are 6 standouts and a handful of other quality players but I just dont believe its going to live up to the early hype. There is a good blend of talls and mids early but lets see if its actually that strong.

lemmon
29-08-2018, 11:27 PM
Dickson turned me around with his last few games back in the seniors. Thought he showed some leadership in that forward line and looked not far off where he was in 2016.

Looks like we're tipping out a few guys in that 22-28 age bracket, so I'm happy to keep some experience on the list - particularly in the forward half.

Dancin' Douggy
29-08-2018, 11:43 PM
I'd trade our pick for Kelly in a heartbeat. I'd give pick 1 for him if we had it.

macca
30-08-2018, 02:45 AM
Another thing I really enjoy with picking up Gowers is he joins a long list of players who have gotten better after leaving Carlton. I wonder if Carlton can see some common themes there...? :p

Twodogs
30-08-2018, 12:15 PM
Happy to throw in Mitch Honeychurch with that deal as well.

It's a good enough deal for us to demand they take Honeychurch. If they don't we could sweeten it a bit. ;)

Maybe he knew Chops and just wanted to get out of the conversation :):):).

Heh!

DOG GOD
30-08-2018, 04:27 PM
Rozee is a massive chance for us. I'd suggest Fremtantle take one of the King brothers the pic before, Rozee's skill set is exactly what we are after.

Totally agree...Where our pick is located, I pray we nab him.

hujsh
30-08-2018, 05:02 PM

Totally agree...Where our pick is located, I pray we nab him.

He seems like a perfect fit and predicted to be around our first pick so odds are we pass on him and surprise everyone with some other player who we feel is kind of surplus to our needs (KPD, back flanker, mid with limited skils etc)

angelopetraglia
30-08-2018, 05:56 PM
Roarke ... locked and loaded.

Mantis
30-08-2018, 06:02 PM
At least it was only a 1yr contract.. I think it's a waste, but we wait and see.

jeemak
30-08-2018, 06:04 PM
I'm OK with it.

Go_Dogs
30-08-2018, 06:14 PM
I'm OK with it.

Agree, don’t mind this. Let’s see how he goes over the pre-season and hopefully he can improve in 2019.

hujsh
30-08-2018, 06:30 PM
At least it was only a 1yr contract.. I think it's a waste, but we wait and see.

Pretty much sums it up

Bullies
30-08-2018, 08:18 PM
Roarke ... locked and loaded.

915 List clogger

bulldogtragic
30-08-2018, 08:25 PM
List clogger

Hard to argue. Suckling, Williams, Crozier, Richards, JJ, Daniel and arguably Lynch & Webb all ahead of him in the queue for a half back flanker spot. But we need another half back flanker, whose shown little to nothing on exposed form. Why...

GVGjr
30-08-2018, 08:58 PM
List clogger

That's a bit tough on the player

FrediKanoute
30-08-2018, 10:10 PM
Hard to argue. Suckling, Williams, Crozier, Richards, JJ, Daniel and arguably Lynch & Webb all ahead of him in the queue for a half back flanker spot. But we need another half back flanker, whose shown little to nothing on exposed form. Why...

Except Williams and Richards are earmarked o play further up the field. Daniel wont be a perm HBF, but will pinchhit in games on a needs basis. Is Lynch really a HBF? He is more like a winger HFF for mine. Webb, hasn't been played on the HBF since his first year.

I agree that there are a couple ahead of him, but his form at the back end of the season was solid. Enough to earn a 1 year extension.

bulldogtragic
30-08-2018, 10:59 PM
Except Williams and Richards are earmarked o play further up the field. Daniel wont be a perm HBF, but will pinchhit in games on a needs basis. Is Lynch really a HBF? He is more like a winger HFF for mine. Webb, hasn't been played on the HBF since his first year.

I agree that there are a couple ahead of him, but his form at the back end of the season was solid. Enough to earn a 1 year extension.

I respect your argument, but I can’t agree on this one. It seems like a missed chance to turn the list over. I hope he proves me wrong.

Ozza
30-08-2018, 11:07 PM
Personally, I wouldn’t have re-signed Roarke. I know he’s only roughly 10 games in, but I think he’s long odds to become a good player.

jeemak
30-08-2018, 11:13 PM

I'm actually with you FK. Not many, if any of the players mentioned are really in direct competition with Roarke long term. It's clear we've had a strategy of drafting gun players who might transition to the midfield at the value picks we've had (obvious midfield starters aside - but think about McLean, Lynch, Williams and Richards as examples who might) and when thinking about it, we're not as overly blessed with half back talent as we think we are.

jeemak
30-08-2018, 11:14 PM
Personally, I wouldn’t have re-signed Roarke. I know he’s only roughly 10 games in, but I think he’s long odds to become a good player.

But he could become safe and solid depth. You know, the type you can count on to come in and do a job if your preferred option and possibly second option for his role is injured.......

Not every club at the top of the ladder gets the run Richmond has enjoyed.

Ozza
30-08-2018, 11:26 PM
If it came down to Roarke v Honeychurch - then I prefer Roarke on the list. Honeychurch is a proven list clogger.

Bulldog Revolution
30-08-2018, 11:31 PM

Yeah nice post FK - Webb doesnt qualify as hes almost never played their in the senior team nor been effective doing so - where Williams, Richards and Lynch settle is yet to be determined but all have displayed some flexibility.

A lot of people wanted to axe Lynch at the end of last season or were tipping his demise this year - I always felt he had enough attributes to make it.

I think Smith has some promise - i feel like his kicking could improve - and that his game has room for growth but that he might be able to do it. Hes got a good spring and some athleticism so lets see

bornadog
30-08-2018, 11:33 PM
That's a bit tough on the player

I agree

Twodogs
31-08-2018, 12:04 AM
I agree

Me too.

FrediKanoute
31-08-2018, 01:32 AM

I agree, but I still think another 12 months doesn't hurt us. If anything he takes the spot Biggs should have held down for another 1 months but didn't. If in 12 months time he is out of the team, displaced by a new recruit or one of the guys mentioned then fine move him on. With the turnover being mooted this trade period, some continuity in the Group is a positive.

whythelongface
31-08-2018, 09:50 AM
I'm actually with you FK. Not many, if any of the players mentioned are really in direct competition with Roarke long term. It's clear we've had a strategy of drafting gun players who might transition to the midfield at the value picks we've had (obvious midfield starters aside - but think about McLean, Lynch, Williams and Richards as examples who might) and when thinking about it, we're not as overly blessed with half back talent as we think we are.

Agree as well. I think he has shown enough to be a cover player. Has limitations but find more value in Smith then say Webb or HC.

Mantis
31-08-2018, 09:51 AM

So we have JJ, Suckling, Crozier, Wood, Daniel, Williams, Richards, Cordy, Morris, Naughton and Adams who will all play before Smith in defence... Surely that's enough depth in that area of the ground?

bornadog
31-08-2018, 10:03 AM
So we have JJ, Suckling, Crozier, Wood, Daniel, Williams, Richards, Cordy, Morris, Naughton and Adams who will all play before Smith in defence... Surely that's enough depth in that area of the ground?

It was interesting Smith played forward last week, and did ok.

Mantis
31-08-2018, 10:26 AM
It was interesting Smith played forward last week, and did ok.

He did some nice things in the 1st qtr, but was quiet for the rest of the game. Maybe we try him up forward as I have little faith in his ability to defend.

bulldogsthru&thru
31-08-2018, 12:38 PM
The Age reporting Libba and Wallis close to signing on

GVGjr
31-08-2018, 12:42 PM

They're absolutely required players.

1eyedog
31-08-2018, 12:57 PM
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/still-sons-of-the-west-mitch-wallis-and-tom-liberatore-to-sign-on-20180830-p500up.html

Axe Man
31-08-2018, 12:58 PM

Still sons of the west: Mitch Wallis and Tom Liberatore to sign on (https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/still-sons-of-the-west-mitch-wallis-and-tom-liberatore-to-sign-on-20180830-p500up.html)

Western Bulldogs midfield duo Tom Liberatore and Mitch Wallis are close to re-committing to the club.

Wallis' future has been the subject of intense speculation with the 25-year-old receiving tempting offers from rival sides including Essendon and the Brisbane Lions, while Liberatore has spent the last year of his contract in 2018 recovering from a ruptured ACL he sustained in round one.

The Age understands the pair, who were taken with father-son selections in the 2010 national draft, will soon sign on with the Western Bulldogs with contract terms being finalised. Their commitment represents a significant boost for the fledgling side's midfield stocks.

Liberatore, 25, was one of the best clearance players in the AFL from 2012-16 before a drop in form in 2017. He was crucial in the Bulldogs' 2016 premiership. He enjoyed a strong and uninterrupted pre-season to the 2018 campaign and was understood to be back to his physical peak before being cruelly struck down in round one.

His teammate Wallis was controversially dropped twice in 2018 which fuelled speculation about his future at the Whitten Oval. However later in the season coach Luke Beveridge revealed the club had offered Wallis a contract.

"Mitch Wallis is a prime example of a player we've had some conversations around what's going to improve him as a player, and we know how capable he can be."

It's understood those improvements were around the defensive side of his game.

Wallis played the last 10 games of the season spending time in the midfield and forward. He kicked 15 goals in that stretch (20 for the season) including bags of three against Hawthorn and Melbourne.

Once they sign the dotted line they will join Roarke Smith and Dale Morris in re-committing to the club after season's end.

It is all but assured that Luke Dahlhaus will depart the Bulldogs for Geelong, who are offering the midfielder a better contract. He will likely be followed by Jack Redpath and Jordan Roughead, whose destinations are unknown.

Billy Gowers and Tory Dickson are expected to stay however, while the futures of Lin Jong, Brad Lynch and Tom Campbell remain unclear.

After a tough 2017 and a difficult start to 2018 the Bulldogs came home in impressive fashion, winning three of their last four games and losing narrowly to Richmond at the MCG.

Beveridge was able to regain more experienced players through that stronger period with the sides he fielded through 2018 regularly the youngest in the competition.

The late-season purple patch came on the back of sterling displays by their classier players such as Marcus Bontempelli, Lachie Hunter, Caleb Daniel, Jack Macrae, Josh Dunkley and Jason Johannisen. Morris' return from injury was also vital.

They were aided by significant contributions from youngsters Gowers, Patrick Lipinski, Aaron Naughton and Ed Richards.

With Liam Picken set to attempt to return from concussion complications in 2019, added to the return of Liberatore and hopefully Tom Boyd, the Bulldogs will head into their next campaign with an optimism that seemed unlikely in the first half of 2018.

Eastdog
31-08-2018, 01:16 PM

Agree. They are both very important.

bulldogtragic
31-08-2018, 01:19 PM
Great news. Now get Libba’s knees cherry ripe.

Testekill
31-08-2018, 01:41 PM
And yet the people on bigfooty going full chicken little over Libba & Wallis will say nothing because they can never be wrong.

1eyedog
31-08-2018, 01:53 PM
And yet the people on bigfooty going full chicken little over Libba & Wallis will say nothing because they can never be wrong.

Why I don't read it

Eastdog
31-08-2018, 01:59 PM
Why I don't read it

I still have a big footy account but I don't log in very often. I much prefer WOOF and I'm and active member on this forum helping with the game day threads and match day set threads etc.

azabob
31-08-2018, 02:07 PM
I still have a big footy account but I don't log in very often. I much prefer WOOF and I'm and active member on this forum helping with the game day threads and match day set threads etc.

Be careful admitting that Eastie - a rumour may start in this thread about you wanting to be traded to big footy!

Twodogs
31-08-2018, 02:14 PM
Be careful admitting that Eastie - a rumour may start in this thread about you wanting to be traded to big footy!

No way would we trade Easty! Another site could even begin to settle our demands.

Eastdog
31-08-2018, 02:15 PM
I'm a WOOF man through and through!

bornadog
31-08-2018, 02:17 PM
Jordan Roughead to WestCoast

bornadog
31-08-2018, 02:18 PM
Roughead to meet with Eagles

Mitch Cleary
(http://www.afl.com.au/news/author/mitch-cleary)
Aug 31, 2018 12:57PM

WESTERN Bulldogs premiership ruckman Jordan Roughead has jetted into Perth as he prepares to meet with West Coast on Friday.

Accompanied by manager Bruce Kaider, restricted free agent Roughead will discuss the prospect of filling the void left by injured Eagles ruckman Nic Naitanui.

AFL.com.au understands that the 27-year-old has informed the Dogs of his intentions to explore free agency this off-season.

bulldogtragic
31-08-2018, 03:06 PM

Mitch Cleary

WESTERN Bulldogs premiership ruckman Jordan Roughead has jetted into Perth as he prepares to meet with West Coast on Friday.

Accompanied by manager Bruce Kaider, restricted free agent Roughead will discuss the prospect of filling the void left by injured Eagles ruckman Nic Naitanui.

AFL.com.au understands that the 27-year-old has informed the Dogs of his intentions to explore free agency this off-season.

I love the guy, but I think that this is best for the two clubs and importantly for Jordan. We may only get around pick 50 for him, but all draft points are handy.

EasternWest
31-08-2018, 03:30 PM

Mitch Cleary

Nothing's fine, I'm torn.

ledge
31-08-2018, 03:49 PM
I know we put contracts on the table to Wallis and Dahl but did we put one on for Roughy ?

jeemak
31-08-2018, 03:49 PM
I love the guy, but I think that this is best for the two clubs and importantly for Jordan. We may only get around pick 50 for him, but all draft points are handy.

It will be interesting to see what they offer him. I appreciate his contract will have limited impact on the compensation formula, though I have a feeling other clubs would value his services more highly than we would.

bornadog
31-08-2018, 03:55 PM
It will be interesting to see what they offer him. I appreciate his contract will have limited impact on the compensation formula, though I have a feeling other clubs would value his services more highly than we would.

All that is reported is a 2 year deal at this stage.

Greystache
31-08-2018, 04:02 PM

It's a funny one. His time with us is clearly up but other teams would still see some value given they haven't seen him as closely as we have and how limited he is now. So it's a win-win to help him find a new club.

When I think of Roughy I remember him being responsible for what I'd called two of the less Bulldog moments I can remember.

The first was against West Coast in the first final where he took a mark just outside 50m playing on immediately and kicking a long goal to put the nail in the coffin and end the contest. We've had a dozen players miss that shot over the generations and keep the opposition in the game.

The second was his mark against Sydney in the GF. We had the momentum, we'd just kicked a goal to break open a lead that had been ridiculously overruled to keep Sydney in it, then they kicked a long bomb down the centre where we were outnumbered and they could've easily got the ball out the back for a simple goal and run away with the game like we've seen so many times before. Roughy takes a contested pack mark, stops their momentum dead, we go back inside 50m kick a goal and kill the contest and win the premiership.

Wherever he goes now those moments will be etched in history forever

bornadog
31-08-2018, 04:07 PM
One thing that *!*!*!*!ed up Roughies development was BMacc trying to make him into a Fullback.

Big Fail.

jeemak
31-08-2018, 04:16 PM
One thing that *!*!*!*!ed up Roughies development was BMacc trying to make him into a Fullback.

Big Fail.

Though it may have enabled him to compete to a higher standard in 2016, as we really don't know what would have happened to his body rucking those games he played as a full back.

bulldogtragic
31-08-2018, 04:16 PM

Big Fail.

Yes. And like Bevo making Boyd a ruck. This 'flexibility' philosophy thing can go too far with big men learning a craft.

EasternWest
31-08-2018, 04:21 PM
It's a funny one. His time with us is clearly up but other teams would still see some value given they haven't seen him as closely as we have and how limited he is now. So it's a win-win to help him find a new club.

When I think of Roughy I remember him being responsible for what I'd called two of the less Bulldog moments I can remember.

The first was against West Coast in the first final where he took a mark just outside 50m playing on immediately and kicking a long goal to put the nail in the coffin and end the contest. We've had a dozen players miss that shot over the generations and keep the opposition in the game.

The second was his mark against Sydney in the GF. We had the momentum, we'd just kicked a goal to break open a lead that had been ridiculously overruled to keep Sydney in it, then they kicked a long bomb down the centre where we were outnumbered and they could've easily got the ball out the back for a simple goal and run away with the game like we've seen so many times before. Roughy takes a contested pack mark, stops their momentum dead, we go back inside 50m kick a goal and kill the contest and win the premiership.

What a mark.

Rocket Science
31-08-2018, 05:11 PM
I know we put contracts on the table to Wallis and Dahl but did we put one on for Roughy ?

You'd suspect no because the advent of English, plus others in reserve if need be, means Roughy's run out of rope.

If he wants to play we're doing the best thing by him by facilitating a new employer.

Greystache
31-08-2018, 05:14 PM

Big Fail.

I actually think it was the making of him. He'd been drifting along as a ruck/forward and not showing a great deal of improvement till he was given the responsibility and asked to step up as a key defender. After that he was a much improved player.

wimberga
31-08-2018, 05:39 PM
Certainly a move is the best thing for Roughie and for us...he may well flourish in a new environment and with a different coaching style while we could use the points to help secure West.

Do we think that a trade of Adams is still on the cards for this year? If we think he is a chance to leave then I am more than happy to ship him off and if it was also a case that we had someone like English who was sought after and willing to move, we could bundle those picks to a team in the west for something of quality.

Overarching all of this is a concern that we may well end up significantly younger next season than we were this season...so perhaps we need to look at some mature age players.

AshMac
31-08-2018, 06:04 PM

100%

AshMac
31-08-2018, 06:06 PM

that mark was the swans potential turning point. Will never forget that moment!

Sedat
31-08-2018, 06:53 PM

He flushed that kick against West Coke - never looked like missing.

Go_Dogs
31-08-2018, 07:23 PM
He flushed that kick against West Coke - never looked like missing.

It was a truly glorious moment.

Actually, might have to go back and watch a bit of 2016 this weekend...

GVGjr
01-09-2018, 09:50 AM
I know a lot of people on here have mentioned Shiel and Gaff but now that Lachie Neale's name has been mentioned as potentially being available he would be high on my list if he was interested in coming to us.

The Pie Man
01-09-2018, 11:45 AM
It was a truly glorious moment.

Actually, might have to go back and watch a bit of 2016 this weekend...

Great idea!

Rough’s GF mark was the curse breaker - also recall his third quarter mark & goal in the semi fondly. He’s a terrible set shot, but everything just went our way that quarter, and that play just sticks out for some reason (mainly as contested marks in our F50 are as rare as ...)

Topdog
01-09-2018, 12:42 PM
Yeah I'm doing the 2016 finals again this weekend. What better way to spend father's day

azabob
01-09-2018, 12:56 PM
I know a lot of people on here have mentioned Shiel and Gaff but now that Lachie Neale's name has been mentioned as potentially being available he would be high on my list if he was interested in coming to us.

I'd be happy with either player. I'm surprised that Gaff is only 1 year older than Shiel and Gaff.

For Neale we may actually be in a good position to satisfy Fremantle trade wise - our first round pick and Marcus Adams as a starting point.

Surely Fremantle wouldn't want to let him go?

Twodogs
01-09-2018, 12:58 PM
I'd be happy with either player. I'm surprised that Gaff is only 1 year older than Shiel and Gaff.

For Neale we may actually be in a good position to satisfy Fremantle trade wise - our first round pick and Marcus Adams as a starting point.

Gaff is a year older than Gaff? That's not a bad effort.

Happy Days
01-09-2018, 01:03 PM

That goal was the moment at which I started to think we were actually a chance to do some damage in the finals. You can logically comprehend how we could put a good enough performance together to beat West Coast, but when guys like Roughy are playing on from open field marks and flushing 55m goals then anything is possible.

bornadog
01-09-2018, 01:20 PM

I think Gaff is a better player than Neal. Gaff is more damaging, and kicks goals as well.

bulldogtragic
01-09-2018, 01:23 PM
I think Gaff is a better player than Neil. Gaff is more damaging, and kicks goals as well.

Id take Gaff over Cowboy Neil too. I think Cowboy is cooked as a footballer personally.

bulldogtragic
01-09-2018, 01:25 PM
I think Gaff is a better player than Neil. Gaff is more damaging, and kicks goals as well.

Assuming Dahl takes the offer from Geelong, and Roughy from WCE, with Smith, Biggs & Collins already gone we can fit Gaff into our cap and still keep everyone. I think he'd be perfect for us. I hope we are pushing hard.

bornadog
01-09-2018, 01:26 PM
Id take Gaff over Cowboy Neil too. I think Cowboy is cooked as a footballer personally.

Surprised you would remember Cowboy :D:D

azabob
01-09-2018, 03:16 PM
I think Gaff is a better player than Neal. Gaff is more damaging, and kicks goals as well.

Gaff actually doesn't kick more goals. He's played 40 odd more games than both players but has kicked the same amount of goals as Neale and only 4 more than Sheil.

Twodogs
01-09-2018, 04:09 PM

I saw Cowboy Neil play for the ACT against Footscray in a night match (actually it was a curtain raiser for another night match so it started in the afternoon. How well were we going at the time, playing curtain raisers for other teams like we were the reserves) back on the '70s.

ledge
01-09-2018, 04:45 PM
Why does everyone get caught up with the big names that cost the big dollars ?
Let’s just get what fits our game plan , you will find if you put the right player in a position that suits him he will become the player your after.
Plenty of history in that more than getting big name players that other clubs have.
The plus in making your own is it’s cheap and you teach them the way your club wants them.
The minus from so called big name players is pressure to perform, wage is over the worth and no guarantee they will adjust to your plan.
Give me players like Crozier over Stringer anytime. Even Gowers for that matter.
We have lost some very big players in the last few years but guess what, we won a flag they haven’t.
The old saying , champion team beats a team of champions.

EasternWest
01-09-2018, 05:19 PM
Why does everyone get caught up with the big names that cost the big dollars ?
Let’s just get what fits our game plan , you will find if you put the right player in a position that suits him he will become the player your after.
Plenty of history in that more than getting big name players that other clubs have.
The plus in making your own is it’s cheap and you teach them the way your club wants them.
The minus from so called big name players is pressure to perform, wage is over the worth and no guarantee they will adjust to your plan.
Give me players like Crozier over Stringer anytime. Even Gowers for that matter.
We have lost some very big players in the last few years but guess what, we won a flag they haven’t.
The old saying , champion team beats a team of champions.

Because we have a crippling deficiency of elite users, and elite users cost money.

bulldogtragic
01-09-2018, 07:37 PM
Port Adelaide's President, Kochie, reckons no one at his club is off the trade table as far Port are concerned. The name Wingard got a specific question to him and he said something akin to if its a good deal, the list manager can do it.

Would or should we jump at Kochie holding Chad Wingard out as bait and ring Ports list manager? They'll be wanting pick 6/7 and a fair bit more.

Rocket Science
01-09-2018, 07:49 PM
That's just Koch being predictably Koch-like in response to their 2018 shit show. I'm sure Hinkley's thrilled too.

Wingard would be a very handy upgrade over Dahlhaus but c'mon, he's going nowhere.

azabob
01-09-2018, 08:00 PM
That's just Koch being predictably Koch-like in response to their 2018 shit show. I'm sure Hinkley's thrilled too.

Wingard would be a very handy upgrade over Dahlhaus but c'mon, he's going nowhere.

Hey don’t be so hasty. After we signed Trengove, Wingard on Twitter said maybe one day he an Trengrove will kick the leather around together again.

divvydan
01-09-2018, 08:23 PM
Remember Wingard is the guy who told GWS pre-draft that he would go home for nothing after 2 years if they drafted him. Hard to see him wanting to move.

bulldogtragic
01-09-2018, 08:26 PM
Hey don’t be so hasty. After we signed Trengove, Wingard on Twitter said maybe one day he an Trengrove will kick the leather around together again.

He did say that. They're 'best friends' apparently. Wingard referenced in a joke on Twitter that clubs (ie plural) have requested medicals for him. Seems clubs, plural, think it's worth putting the time, money and effort into making a play for him.

So:

- Wingard is best mates with Trengove
- Wingard said 12 months ago he maybe wants to play footy with Trengove again
- Kochie says Wingard is now tradable
- Wingard says multiple clubs have sought medicals on him currently

Dogs to do what about this? He suits us both an electric forward, or a silky onballer. Offer pick 7 and say 2019 first & fourth rounder for their 2019 second & third rounder (points back for Kellett & Libba) (or similar)

GVGjr
01-09-2018, 08:30 PM

Would our first pick be enough to land a player the quality of Wingard.

He's not the highest priority for me but he can impact games and keep the scoreboard ticking over

azabob
01-09-2018, 08:42 PM
Would our first pick be enough to land a player the quality of Wingard.

He's not the highest priority for me but he can impact games and keep the scoreboard ticking over

No. The crazy thing is Wingard would cost more than Neale or Shiel but would be less consistent than both those players.

For mine Wingard would be played purely forward he struggles in the midfield.

Who would be your top priority?

LostDoggy
01-09-2018, 10:09 PM
Bailey Williams who is from SA and pick 5 for Wingard?

Would people do it?

Although I love Williams and is this to much?

S Coast Simon
01-09-2018, 10:44 PM
Would love wingards talent running around the forward line. I think we could do with someone like him but I think his attitude stinks a bit. Never liked him from that call he made. Don’t draft me because I will be going home stunk of arrogance. But in saying that you need to be a bit arrogant to be that good.

On another note I’m all for keeping R Smith. He reminds me of a young Easton Wood. Wood was all over the place in his first few years I remember thinking this kid is nice but I don’t think he’s going to make it. All of a sudden he blossomed into a intercept machine. Smith has a hell of a leap on him and been injured a lot and only managed ten or so games. You can see Webb doesn’t have any killer instinct but beautiful skills. Smith will go hard at the ball in the air or in the middle of a pack.

GVGjr
01-09-2018, 11:03 PM
No. The crazy thing is Wingard would cost more than Neale or Shiel but would be less consistent than both those players.

For mine Wingard would be played purely forward he struggles in the midfield.

Who would be your top priority?

A genuine mid like Neale would be tempting.

Cyberdoggie
01-09-2018, 11:25 PM
I'd go with Shiel of Gaff anyday. We need that straight line breaking outside mid with pace.
It's what Jongy could of been if he had more natural football awareness and elite kicking skills.

Look at our mids and we have Bont, Wallis, Daniel, Macrae, McLean, Dunkley, Dahlhaus (not for much longer), Libba, Hunter.
Apart from over short distances none of these guys are quick. They wouldn't come close in a 60 metre race.
We need a mid who can run in straight lines and break the game open. It will make all the difference.

ledge
02-09-2018, 03:27 AM
Because we have a crippling deficiency of elite users, and elite users cost money.

Not if they are from the draft.

azabob
02-09-2018, 07:41 AM
Bailey Williams who is from SA and pick 5 for Wingard?

Would people do it?

Although I love Williams and is this to much?

Too much. For me Williams is almost un-tradeble.

dog town
02-09-2018, 07:47 AM
If Wingard would cost what most are suggesting then it’s a flat out no. There are plenty of bargains around that address needs. We missed them last year, need to be all over them this year. Throwing away multiple first rounders or players the quality of Bailey Willians would be counter productive.

dog town
02-09-2018, 08:02 AM
Is there anything to suggest we have the cap space for a big fish? Everything we have done suggests we are reasonably tight for cap space. Just checking if I have missed something.

MrMahatma
02-09-2018, 08:33 AM
Is there anything to suggest we have the cap space for a big fish? Everything we have done suggests we are reasonably tight for cap space. Just checking if I have missed something.

Replacing Stringer for Gowers last year would suggest there’s head room.

Don’t know though.

AshMac
02-09-2018, 08:39 AM
Jarrod Harbrow has won the Suns best and fairest this year - after coming 2nd to atom Lynch twice in a row. This effectively means that the expansion clubs have both poached their best respective (or most important players) from the bulldogs. Can’t remember the compo we got for harbrow but one pick for Ward and 2 picks for Scully is an absolute joke!

rant over

LostDoggy
02-09-2018, 08:42 AM
I came across this which was a good positive read about our season and where we are with our list & free agency.

https://www.theroar.com.au/2018/09/01/believe-it-or-not-the-bulldogs-were-2018s-biggest-overperformers/

bulldogtragic
02-09-2018, 09:03 AM

The cap went up last year, with annual rises.
Dalrymple said last year we hadn't spent the so called 'Hurley Money' we had aside.
Stringers salary and expected salary going forward is freed.
We've front ended Boyd so that his salary isn't onerous now and going forward.
Dahlhaus wage and expected wage going forward is freed. Rumour was the dollars were close $500-550,000, but year's weren't).
Roughy's wage and expected wage going forward is freed.
Biggs unexpectedly retired. That wage and expected wage is freed.
Clay Smith retired. If we factored in him being around next year, that expected wage is freed.
Redpath may retire. If he does, that wage and expected wage going forward is somewhat freed.
Adams may ask for a trade, if Stevo is true, so that wage and expected wage is freed.
Delistees wages are freed up.
Bonts contract negotiations were 'going well' before it was clear a lot of well earning players were out the door.

So if we take into account the minimum wage associated with draftees off the total of the cake above, we have a lot of cap space to try to get one gun player. But only really enough to get one. So we best pick our mark. We don't need Lynch, Shiel hasn't been linked to us. So maybe Gaff or Wingard at this stage, unless something comes along like a Kelly. But we have the cash, but we need to pick the right one because after a big signing we will be limited to trading in medium range players, or that's my guess.

GVGjr
02-09-2018, 10:15 AM
If Wingard would cost what most are suggesting then it’s a flat out no. There are plenty of bargains around that address needs. We missed them last year, need to be all over them this year. Throwing away multiple first rounders or players the quality of Bailey Willians would be counter productive.

I'm about at that point as well. Our first round pick should be more than enough to acquire a quality player.
I'm not against trading many players on our list though and if a great standalone offer came for Williams I'd consider it given our logjam for half back flanker types on the playing list.

GVGjr
02-09-2018, 10:22 AM

It's a fair point you raise especially given we will probably pay overs to re-sign Bontempelli and I'm sure we paid overs for the likes of Johnannisen. Macrae was probably at a good value though and if Dahlhaus and Roughead leave it might clear some space.
With a little bit of maneuvering I suspect we could make a play for quality player but the more likely scenario is we will focus on acquiring players like Trengove and Crozier.

GVGjr
02-09-2018, 10:26 AM
Could we talk Gaff into a more reasonable number if we were to trade our first pick to West Coast that gives them a better outcome than FA compensation? Gaff strikes me as someone who would be very grateful to West Coast and would not want them to be disadvantaged because of his decision.

bulldogtragic
02-09-2018, 10:36 AM
Could we talk Gaff into a more reasonable number if we were to trade our first pick to West Coast that gives them a better outcome than FA compensation? Gaff strikes me as someone who would be very grateful to West Coast and would not want them to be disadvantaged because of his decision.

I'd like to trade down to North at 10 or Sydney at maybe 14 and then try it, with Adams maybe. If not, if they give us their circa pick 25 (after compo and priorities) for Adams, if Stevo is right about him wanting back to WA. Plus they land Roughy from us, so everyone could go away happy enough in the circumstances.

Bulldog4life
02-09-2018, 11:05 AM
The cap went up last year, with annual rises.
Dalrymple said last year we hadn't spent the so called 'Hurley Money' we had aside.
Stringers salary and expected salary going forward is freed.
We've front ended Boyd so that his salary isn't onerous now and going forward.
Dahlhaus wage and expected wage going forward is freed. Rumour was the dollars were close $500-550,000, but year's weren't).
Roughy's wage and expected wage going forward is freed.
Biggs unexpectedly retired. That wage and expected wage is freed.
Clay Smith retired. If we factored in him being around next year, that expected wage is freed.
Redpath may retire. If he does, that wage and expected wage going forward is somewhat freed.
Adams may ask for a trade, if Stevo is true, so that wage and expected wage is freed.
Delistees wages are freed up.
Bonts contract negotiations were 'going well' before it was clear a lot of well earning players were out the door.

So if we take into account the minimum wage associated with draftees off the total of the cake above, we have a lot of cap space to try to get one gun player. But only really enough to get one. So we best pick our mark. We don't need Lynch, Shiel hasn't been linked to us. So maybe Gaff or Wingard at this stage, unless something comes along like a Kelly. But we have the cash, but we need to pick the right one because after a big signing we will be limited to trading in medium range players, or that's my guess.

Boyd's salary situation and Adelaide after Young gets repeated over and over on WOOF despite no links confirming either. It is like the more it is repeated it must be true. I have asked you before BT the following and I will ask you again. "Is there a link to confirm this re Boyd's wage front loaded? The only thing I have read is "When Boyd arrived at the club he was still on a lower, AFL-prescribed salary for second-year players in what was his first year at the Bulldogs, but then jumped into seven figures in subsequent years".

EasternWest
02-09-2018, 11:14 AM

One doesn't exclude the other though. We have to draft, and we should be trading/poaching. I'm all for drafting kids that might go on to be the elite user we need. But we'd be derelict in our duties if we didn't go after the guy or guys who are right now the elite users we need.

Surely you can see that?

bulldogtragic
02-09-2018, 12:05 PM
Boyd's salary situation and Adelaide after Young gets repeated over and over on WOOF despite no links confirming either. It is like the more it is repeated it must be true. I have asked you before BT the following and I will ask you again. "Is there a link to confirm this re Boyd's wage front loaded? The only thing I have read is "When Boyd arrived at the club he was still on a lower, AFL-prescribed salary for second-year players in what was his first year at the Bulldogs, but then jumped into seven figures in subsequent years".

To be fair to me, my learned colleague, you've asked me about Young. And I answered. So, as per my previous testimony I told you then I spent 30 minutes of my life looking just for you and couldn't find anything so it can be in filed the 'rumour' category probably started in SA circles, not a set fact, as I've repeated on here. So for clarity, it seems it's an educated guess or rumour floating around.

As for Tom's salary, one hears things one doesn't source all the time. Google searching will bring back that Boyd may have been earning $1.7M a year for multiple years after his first year with us if you believe Damien Barrett's reporting on this pet subject of his. I believe it's a big chunk higher than Barrett suggested considering he has no sources at the club. Again, I've spent 15 minutes searching just for you. That's 45 minutes of my life trying to address your concerns, thats about 44.5 minutes than I give almost all people. If you don't want to accept what I'm saying on this, simply don't.

There's 9 or 10 points in the post and the sum total seems to be one point you couldn't find on google quickly, and a conversation around how we actually have a bit of room in the cap to go after a bigger fish now is abruptly dumbed down to "I've asked you before, and I'll ask you again". Well, "asked and answered Counsellor".

ledge
02-09-2018, 12:11 PM
One doesn't exclude the other though. We have to draft, and we should be trading/poaching. I'm all for drafting kids that might go on to be the elite user we need. But we'd be derelict in our duties if we didn't go after the guy or guys who are right now the elite users we need.

Surely you can see that?

I see it but most times your paying overs just to get them out and we have a lot of players out of contract after next year including the Bont and many other good players.
If a player that suits us in the draft can do the same in one or two years I prefer him , remember we have a few coming back from injury next year also.
Elite users I think we have on our list but were shovelled around due to injuries, filling holes or just finding their feet ( Richards being one )
To me our list is very good and will rise quickly.
Yeah we can go chase a “ big fish “ but it could damage our contract renegotiations in the next year or so.
With a salary cap, and player agency in the rules now it’s a hard juggle than just to say get a big fish.
I’m not saying we won’t and from the little that comes out of the club we can read either way, personally I prefer the club is shush than out leaking stuff to the media. If you let one little thing out nowadays the journos just go crazy on absolute rubbish nowadays.
I’m a wait and see person, what we are doing I have no idea but it’s seems the media and people get caught on this every club must get big name players every year in a trade.
We have been extremely good with rookies and lower picks, despite what some think.

Twodogs
02-09-2018, 12:16 PM

We still have to pay a percentage of the Salary Cap. it doesn't matter if every player on our list was a first year draftee we'd still have to pay them almost the same amount as if every player on our list were Brownlow winners.

We can attempt to scrape and save, try to rip off our players by paying them unders (and that's exactly what it will be viewed as) or forgoe recruiting good players from other clubs for because we want to penny pinch for some reason but we may as well find a rifle somewhere and shoot each other's feet off.

Every club pays the same in Salary Cap, we don't get a say in how much the total is, but it is up to us how we allocate that money. We can give it to good established players or we can give it to draftees. That's our call, I hope we make the right one.

EasternWest
02-09-2018, 12:30 PM
I see it but most times your paying overs just to get them out and we have a lot of players out of contract after next year including the Bont and many other good players.
If a player that suits us in the draft can do the same in one or two years I prefer him , remember we have a few coming back from injury next year also.
Elite users I think we have on our list but were shovelled around due to injuries, filling holes or just finding their feet ( Richards being one )
To me our list is very good and will rise quickly.
Yeah we can go chase a “ big fish “ but it could damage our contract renegotiations in the next year or so.
With a salary cap, and player agency in the rules now it’s a hard juggle than just to say get a big fish.
I’m not saying we won’t and from the little that comes out of the club we can read either way, personally I prefer the club is shush than out leaking stuff to the media. If you let one little thing out nowadays the journos just go crazy on absolute rubbish nowadays.
I’m a wait and see person, what we are doing I have no idea but it’s seems the media and people get caught on this every club must get big name players every year in a trade.
We have been extremely good with rookies and lower picks, despite what some think.

Fair enough.

Bulldog4life
02-09-2018, 12:51 PM
To be fair to me, my learned colleague, you've asked me about Young. And I answered. So, as per my previous testimony I told you then I spent 30 minutes of my life looking just for you and couldn't find anything so it can be in filed the 'rumour' category probably started in SA circles, not a set fact, as I've repeated on here. So for clarity, it seems it's an educated guess or rumour floating around.

As for Tom's salary, one hears things one doesn't source all the time. Google searching will bring back that Boyd may have been earning $1.7M a year for multiple years after his first year with us if you believe Damien Barrett's reporting on this pet subject of his. I believe it's a big chunk higher than Barrett suggested considering he has no sources at the club. Again, I've spent 15 minutes searching just for you. That's 45 minutes of my life trying to address your concerns, thats about 44.5 minutes than I give almost all people. If you don't want to accept what I'm saying on this, simply don't.

There's 9 or 10 points in the post and the sum total seems to be one point you couldn't find on google quickly, and a conversation around how we actually have a bit of room in the cap to go after a bigger fish now is abruptly dumbed down to "I've asked you before, and I'll ask you again". Well, "asked and answered Counsellor".

Thank you so much for your undivided 45 minutes attention to me BT. Much appreciated. I owe it to you. I liked your other points in your initial post but unfortunately Tom's salary "concoction" is something we both don't know exactly and probably never will.

bornadog
02-09-2018, 12:59 PM
We still have to pay a percentage of the Salary Cap. it doesn't matter if every player on our list was a first year draftee we'd still have to pay them almost the same amount as if every player on our list were Brownlow winners.

We can attempt to scrape and save, try to rip off our players by paying them unders (and that's exactly what it will be viewed as) or forgoe recruiting good players from other clubs for because we want to penny pinch for some reason but we may as well find a rifle somewhere and shoot each other's feet off.

Every club pays the same in Salary Cap, we don't get a say in how much the total is, but it is up to us how we allocate that money. We can give it to good established players or we can give it to draftees. That's our call, I hope we make the right one.

You can pay under the salary cap and bank the difference for future years. I am not sure when you have to catch up.

bulldogtragic
02-09-2018, 01:00 PM
Thank you so much for your undivided 45 minutes attention to me BT. Much appreciated. I owe it to you. I liked your other points in your initial post but unfortunately Tom's salary "concoction" is something we both don't know exactly and probably never will.

No dramas, I do my polite best to helpers others where I can. I've got it on very good authority, so I'm happy with what I know about things. If you expect every poster to publicly divulge every bit of info they have and who they got it from, your expectations are way too high. So just ignore it, we all know nothing, hail the supreme leader.

bulldogtragic
02-09-2018, 01:13 PM
You can pay under the salary cap and bank the difference for future years. I am not sure when you have to catch up.

Strictly I think you can do it for two years. However, if existing players of ours are happy to get more of their contract front loaded we fill the current year and leave the hole in a subsequent year. So when Gryphone needed to have some salary, we were obviously on the bottom. From there we were banking, and Crameri's suspension part wage was allowed to be banked or spent elsewhere. Then we seem to have front loaded players, good earning ones, subsequently some are unrestricted free agents this year. So it seems we've been rolling much of our bank, but then also using it to front end Boyd's contract too (ignore me if you don't like me saying this) as bringing forward all those wages created a need to fill them with a substantial salary, ie front loading Boyd. Seeing that some of our free agents this year are unrestricted highlights we've been doing a fair bit of front end contracting. Dalrymple last year said 'The Hurley Money' wasn't spent last year, which I believe is him referring to the salary cap bank which was going to Hurley if he didn't pull the pin at the last second. So the bank is capped, but the strategic use of it allows it to in effect roll and how we can front end a lot on contracts at the club and still have some if 'The Hurley Money' lying around.

Edit: I went to an old post where I quoted PG about our under the cap figure going on for years and years. That bank alone could've be worth up to $2,000,000 and the Crameri amount attributed to Essendon, freed up from us, was about $200,000. So the bank was around $2,200,000 while at the same time we front loading higher wage players. Seems to me we could very well have been front loading Tom's contract to reduce is annual dollar figure to well, well below a million, and holding out for a circa $800,000 player in trade/free agency.

hujsh
02-09-2018, 01:44 PM
Jarrod Harbrow has won the Suns best and fairest this year - after coming 2nd to atom Lynch twice in a row. This effectively means that the expansion clubs have both poached their best respective (or most important players) from the bulldogs. Can’t remember the compo we got for harbrow but one pick for Ward and 2 picks for Scully is an absolute joke!

rant over

Best keep it that way

bornadog
02-09-2018, 03:57 PM
Best keep it that way

Yeah I agree :D

https://proxy.bigfooty.com/forum/proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fresources1.news.com.au%2Fimages %2F2011%2F11%2F07%2F1226187%2F716637-justin-sherman.jpg&hash=f7b9593dc2130d75c846a0f49a7f7363

AshMac
03-09-2018, 10:03 AM
Yeah I agree :D

https://proxy.bigfooty.com/forum/proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fresources1.news.com.au%2Fimages %2F2011%2F11%2F07%2F1226187%2F716637-justin-sherman.jpg&hash=f7b9593dc2130d75c846a0f49a7f7363

oh no

Mofra
03-09-2018, 01:01 PM
That difference is reduced if you pay below the floor (95% of the cap). The penalties for paying below 95% quickly wipe out any 105 rule advantage.

bulldogsthru&thru
03-09-2018, 03:48 PM
AFL.com.au saying geelong have a 4 year 550k offer in front of Dahl

craigsahibee
03-09-2018, 04:13 PM

Do they use AUD down at Geelong? Does the AUD command a better exchange rate down there?

Gary Jnr. must be pulling the pin this year or they must be banking on the likes of Taylor Type H calling it quits too.

bulldogtragic
03-09-2018, 04:17 PM

Sold! To smiling brother of Luke Power for end of first round compo.

GVGjr
03-09-2018, 04:41 PM

I think it's an excellent offer,
Based on form over the last 2 years I'd struggle with the justification for our club to match.

We might be able to get an offer on the table for about 1.4/1.5 over 3 years. Up to Dahlhaus now to decide how badly he wants to be a one club player.

bornadog
03-09-2018, 04:43 PM
I think it's an excellent offer,
Based on form over the last 2 years I'd struggle with the justification for our club to match.

We might be able to get an offer on the table for about 1.4/1.5 over 3 years. Up to Dahlhaus now to decide how badly he wants to be a one club player.

If true, I don't understand how Geelong can make such an offer

jeemak
03-09-2018, 04:44 PM
Sold! To smiling brother of Luke Power for end of first round compo.

I can't see us getting what Geelong did for Motlop. I know it's been used as a guide, but in reality it was only ever handed to the Cats to ensure GCS could get their hands on it for Ablett.

What incentive do the AFL have to NOT screw us over, and fall out of line with their default position on pretty much every dealing we have with them?

bulldogtragic
03-09-2018, 04:50 PM
I can't see us getting what Geelong did for Motlop. I know it's been used as a guide, but in reality it was only ever handed to the Cats to ensure GCS could get their hands on it for Ablett.

What incentive do the AFL have to NOT screw us over, and fall out of line with their default position on pretty much every dealing we have with them?

The only thing I can think of is that now Peter Gordon is Gillon's personal lawyer. Maybe Gillon likes to see that justice be done, on all sides. Maybe that guide post gets pointed out, or maybe it doesn't need to because they have a strong bond based on mutual respect and fairness, trust and confidence. And knowing where the bodies are buried, figuratively speaking.

Bulldog Joe
03-09-2018, 08:30 PM
The only thing I can think of is that now Peter Gordon is Gillon's personal lawyer. Maybe Gillon likes to see that justice be done, on all sides. Maybe that guide post gets pointed out, or maybe it doesn't need to because they have a strong bond based on mutual respect and fairness, trust and confidence. And knowing where the bodies are buried, figuratively speaking.

I don`t know if you are joking, but surely you are.

Conflict of Interest of the highest order.

Bulldog Joe
03-09-2018, 08:30 PM
Duplicate

bulldogtragic
03-09-2018, 08:34 PM
I don`t if you are joking, but surely you are.

Conflict of Interest of the highest order.

Peter Gordon & Gordon Legal is representing Gil and Mike Fitzpatrick in current legal proceedings. No joke.

From The Hun in June this year:

"THE Essendon drugs saga has taken another twist with lawyer and Western Bulldogs president Peter Gordon acting for AFL supremos Gillon McLachlan and Mike Fitzpatrick...."

Bulldog Joe
03-09-2018, 09:42 PM
Peter Gordon & Gordon Legal is representing Gil and Mike Fitzpatrick in current legal proceedings. No joke.

"THE Essendon drugs saga has taken another twist with lawyer and Western Bulldogs president Peter Gordon acting for AFL supremos Gillon McLachlan and Mike Fitzpatrick...."

That is just wrong.

Gordon is (or should be) on the other side in trying to get a better fixture for the Bulldogs.

So Peter is compromised in fighting for a better outcome for the club, acting against the wishes of his client Gil McLachlan.

I know we expect everyone to handle every issue on its relative merits, but this is similar to the pollies being required to dispense with their own financial matters or disqualify themselves from certain discussions affecting those interests.

bulldogtragic
03-09-2018, 09:54 PM
That is just wrong.

Gordon is (or should be) on the other side in trying to get a better fixture for the Bulldogs.

So Peter is compromised in fighting for a better outcome for the club, acting against the wishes of his client Gil McLachlan.

I know we expect everyone to handle every issue on its relative merits, but this is similar to the pollies being required to dispense with their own financial matters or disqualify themselves from certain discussions affecting those interests.

I just hope PG becomes a friend or relative of Gil's. Those people do really well! :D

Ergo, Dahl gets end of first round compo....

I take your point, PGs counter would probably be he is representing Gil & Mike as individuals, but not representing the AFEL. But there's a lot of good lawyers in Melbourne, but why Peter is a good question. What the case means for our club win or lose, is another interesting question.

Ozza
03-09-2018, 11:22 PM
(Apologies if this was already mentioned earlier or somewhere else...).

But Stevo tweeting that Honeychurch is ‘set to get more opportunities at Gold Coast’.

bornadog
03-09-2018, 11:36 PM

That case finished months ago

bornadog
03-09-2018, 11:37 PM

But Stevo tweeting that Honeychurch is ‘set to get more opportunities at Gold Coast’.

Excellent news

Testekill
03-09-2018, 11:49 PM

oh no don't take honeychurch please, whatever will we do to replace him

jeemak
03-09-2018, 11:50 PM
Good for HC, all the best to him.

bulldogtragic
03-09-2018, 11:51 PM
That case finished months ago

Ok, he was until very recently Gil & Mike’s personal lawyer. And hopefully Gil still really likes PG.

bulldogtragic
03-09-2018, 11:53 PM

Best news today.

Mantis
04-09-2018, 09:37 AM

Opportunities weren’t lacking with us... he just didn’t make the most of them.

The Doctor
04-09-2018, 09:56 AM
Mark Stevens suggested we might get a 4th rounder for Honeychurch.

Gold Coast currently don't have one. Their picks as it stands currently are 2,17,26,29, 38, 41, 74 (5th round). This is before trading and Lynch compo which will add pick 3 to this list. So it's a lot of picks for them to play with.

I suspect they wouldn't give up anything before pick 74 outright however but could possibly give us a small pick upgrade. We have 42 so they might take a Honeychuch & pick 42 combo for pick 38. Maybe something like that.

bulldogsthru&thru
04-09-2018, 10:02 AM
I know it's all in good humour, but can we minimise the snarly comments towards Honeychurch? It's one thing to discuss his limitations and time with us, but i've read too many comments that are basically potting Mitch and taking the pi$$ out of him. I have no idea if players read forums but i'm sure Mitch gave his all for us. Yes, it's time we moved on. He couldn't take his chances with us but i wish him well in whatever he does next.

Sorry! Just my two cents

jeemak
04-09-2018, 10:50 AM
I know it's all in good humour, but can we minimise the snarly comments towards Honeychurch? It's one thing to discuss his limitations and time with us, but i've read too many comments that are basically potting Mitch and taking the pi$$ out of him. I have no idea if players read forums but i'm sure Mitch gave his all for us. Yes, it's time we moved on. He couldn't take his chances with us but i wish him well in whatever he does next.

Sorry! Just my two cents

Well said. Some of it is completely and unnecessarily boorish.

Topdog
04-09-2018, 11:18 AM
Yep i don't think he is good enough but he never failed due to a lack of effort. Always gave his best.

cinder
04-09-2018, 11:26 AM
Sorry! Just my two cents

Don't ever apologise for defending a Dogs player (even one that may in the process of being moved on). Good on you, couldn't agree more and that goes for any outgoing player. Don't have to be a fan but can still show respect.

Sedat
04-09-2018, 11:28 AM
Mark Stevens suggested we might get a 4th rounder for Honeychurch.

Gold Coast currently don't have one. Their picks as it stands currently are 2,17,26,29, 38, 41, 74 (5th round). This is before trading and Lynch compo which will add pick 3 to this list. So it's a lot of picks for them to play with.

I suspect they wouldn't give up anything before pick 74 outright however but could possibly give us a small pick upgrade. We have 42 so they might take a Honeychuch & pick 42 combo for pick 38. Maybe something like that.
Would love it if GC ended their draft night at pick 29 so we could get their pick 38 for HC - wishful thinking to say the least.

EasternWest
04-09-2018, 11:50 AM
Sorry! Just my two cents

Money well spent. No place for slating a guy who might be limited in ability but always tried his guts out.

The Doctor
04-09-2018, 12:18 PM
Pittard and Hombsch from Port may be on the trade table

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-09-03/port-adelaide-tells-duo-future-is-in-their-own-hands

GVGjr
04-09-2018, 12:24 PM
Money well spent. No place for slating a guy who might be limited in ability but always tried his guts out.

That's how I see it. If players have been distracted or haven't given their best then they should be called out. If players don't quite make it with us then we should be a bit more respectful.

I think Honeychurch plays as hard as he can so I can't fault his effort.

Axe Man
04-09-2018, 12:28 PM
Pittard and Hombsch from Port may be on the trade table

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-09-03/port-adelaide-tells-duo-future-is-in-their-own-hands

A half back and a key defender are the last things we need.

Happy Days
04-09-2018, 12:28 PM
Well using the Lachie Weller logic from last year I think that we can expect absurd overs from the GC because he "wants to go there". Hope we've enquired about pick 26 if not 3.

Happy Days
04-09-2018, 12:30 PM
A half back and a key defender are the last things we need.

Feel bad for Pittard after turning down big money to stay, but he just can't stop burning the footy in horrible positions.

Hombsch was a decent player but his body is shot.

Topdog
04-09-2018, 12:49 PM
Would love it if GC ended their draft night at pick 29 so we could get their pick 38 for HC - wishful thinking to say the least.

I actually wouldnt be overly surprised with that. Even 41 would be good

EasternWest
04-09-2018, 02:29 PM
That's how I see it. If players have been distracted or haven't given their best then they should be called out. If players don't quite make it with us then we should be a bit more respectful.

I just believe in fair criticism.

I never go for the "he's a dud/list clogger" stuff because while they may not make it long term, they've made it to the highest level in the land and that in itself deserves respect.

I hope he gets picked up elsewhere and goes ok.

The Doctor
04-09-2018, 04:38 PM
Norf have made a couple of interesting delistings in Mitch Hibberd & Josh Williams. Both were rated reasonably highly in their draft years, 2015 & 2106 respectively. I believe we were interested in Williams in particular as a tall running player with a bust of speed.

bulldogsthru&thru
04-09-2018, 04:41 PM
Norf have made a couple of interesting delistings in Mitch Hibberd & Josh Williams. Both were rated reasonably highly in their draft years, 2015 & 2106 respectively. I believe we were interested in Williams in particular as a tall running player with a bust of speed.

There's a lot of talk that this coming trade period is going to be off the charts. A few clubs, including ours, seem to be clearing up a number of list spots.

dukedog
04-09-2018, 05:42 PM

Agree. Sometimes shots get fired in the heat. Party boys deserve roastings. Guys that don't quite make elite but give a hundee percent should be given credit. Almost all AFL list players have at one stage or another shown something that most people haven't. By all accounts he a top young lad aswell. I'd love to see him at gc if he gets a chance.

Go_Dogs
04-09-2018, 07:02 PM

I haven't followed either player much, but still have memories of watching Hibberd in the U/18's and thinking he was a very likely type.

I must say, I'm surprised by how hard some clubs are going with their delistings.

AndrewP6
04-09-2018, 07:04 PM
Good luck to him if it happens.

azabob
04-09-2018, 09:22 PM
So Dahl is officially no longer a Western Bulldog.

Interesting it’s been announced so early?

bulldogtragic
04-09-2018, 09:49 PM

I thought everyone had to wait when it comes to free agency?? Maybe Gil can announce our compo tomorrow now?

azabob
04-09-2018, 09:52 PM
I thought everyone had to wait when it comes to free agency?? Maybe Gil can announce our compo tomorrow now?

Yep. Me too. Everything is so public now.

bulldogtragic
04-09-2018, 09:58 PM
Yep. Me too. Everything is so public now.

Now we debate if it's (natural) selection pick 19 or 25. It's 200 draft points which will really, but the pick itself matters none in and of itself. Surely the AFEL can just bump it to pick 19 for the sake of giving us a bunch of extra points, especially by the time priority picks diminish our points in compo.

Doc26
04-09-2018, 10:16 PM

Very torn about Luke leaving.

Has been a great little player for us but his effectiveness has been limited by such average disposal by foot.

The fact that he we’ll end up at one of the big 4 in Melbourne doesn’t sit well.
FA, or just as important to the conversation, the looming threat of free agency to the less exposed Clubs, is such a free pass to the big Clubs.

bornadog
04-09-2018, 11:43 PM
Now we debate if it's (natural) selection pick 19 or 25. It's 200 draft points which will really, but the pick itself matters none in and of itself. Surely the AFEL can just bump it to pick 19 for the sake of giving us a bunch of extra points, especially by the time priority picks diminish our points in compo.

Stevo pushing for end of first round - equivalent to Motlop

bulldogtragic
04-09-2018, 11:48 PM
Stevo pushing for end of first round - equivalent to Motlop

Hope so. By the time Lynch compo, maybe Gaff compo and maybe three priority picks all come before an end of first rounder for Dahl, that’s maybe only pick 24. Or pick 30 if not. The fair thing is what Stevo says. I hope he’s right.

G-Mo77
04-09-2018, 11:48 PM
My son will be so upset. I've been trying to hint that he won't play at the Bulldogs anymore but he doesn't think it will happen. He's got his badge, his doll, his backpack and birthday cards. He is going to be devastated. I guess the Dahlhaus Clubhouse is closed. :(