PDA

View Full Version : The Moving/Rolling Trading & Delisting Thread 2018

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9

bulldogtragic
10-10-2018, 10:40 PM
I am more than happy to keep Roughy. Solid citizen and had 2017 totally wrecked by injury. a pretty unimpressive 2018 for sure, but gee he was an important player in 2016 when it mattered. His wheeling goal on the run against the eagles in that final was just glorious. I was thinking at the time, " how many 200cm ruckmen in the league could do that?" NONE.

I'd rather keep him than let him go for peanuts. He could still have a lot to offer.
He's played in a flag. and was pretty important.

I don't know.....I just like him is all

Unfortunately for him he stays knowing he's a back up and on minimum money. He's tested the market and thus far, it's said we don't see you as either being in our best two rucks or worth any money. Considering clubs can grab him as a free agent. If no one else wants him he almost has to stay and fight like hell to jump English & Trengove, or be depth for a year and fruitlessly try free agency again next year.

bulldogtragic
10-10-2018, 10:57 PM
Twitter Person: Will dogs trade Adams?
Stevo: I'd suggest yes.

bornadog
11-10-2018, 12:10 AM
Unfortunately for him he stays knowing he's a back up and on minimum money. He's tested the market and thus far, it's said we don't see you as either being in our best two rucks or worth any money. Considering clubs can grab him as a free agent. If no one else wants him he almost has to stay and fight like hell to jump English & Trengove, or be depth for a year and fruitlessly try free agency again next year.

He may decide to accelerate his coaching ambitions?

bulldogtragic
11-10-2018, 12:15 AM
He may decide to accelerate his coaching ambitions?

Maybe. I’m stunned gws would prefer to bring Mummy back or lead with Dawson Simpson. As last spot on the list and minimal money...

hujsh
11-10-2018, 12:51 AM
Who's St,Kilda's ruck without Hickey?

GVGjr
11-10-2018, 06:47 AM
Who's St,Kilda's ruck without Hickey?

Longer, Marshall and Pierce

jeemak
11-10-2018, 07:16 AM
One of the biggest issues I have with our player management (outside looking in, of course) is the "gun to the head" attitude towards players who have performed over time but seem to be on the outer due to preference bias rather than form.

I sometimes get the feeling that our senior coach is completely inflexible in his preferences, and that he has an autocratic level of control over his subordinates which results in them being completely absent in opinion and advocacy.

Just a thought, if your job is set in stone as a Bulldogs assistant, why would you question the system that keeps you safe?

Topdog
11-10-2018, 09:12 AM
Any examples you want to provide for this?

Bulldog Revolution
11-10-2018, 03:09 PM
Longer, Marshall and Pierce

Interesting though as Hickey looked the best of them

LostDog
11-10-2018, 07:17 PM
And there it is Wingard nominates Hawthorn

Ozza
11-10-2018, 07:41 PM
Interesting though as Hickey looked the best of them

Saints had an issue with Hickey’s inconsistency of effort/physicality. Not at all surprising to see him traded. They’ve persisted for a fair while now.

dukedog
11-10-2018, 07:57 PM
And there it is Wingard nominates Hawthorn

Bugger. Wonder if we were even close

Bullies
11-10-2018, 08:17 PM
And there it is Wingard nominates Hawthorn What hope do the smaller clubs have. The destination clubs don't even have to worry about high draft picks as they wait a couple of years and then pick the eyes out of the smaller clubs knowing they are ready to go. It is only to get worse as well.

Go_Dogs
11-10-2018, 08:28 PM
Meh.

Back to the draft and continue to build.

SonofScray
11-10-2018, 08:28 PM
Disappointing news re: Chad choosing Hawthorn. They have done a good job landing free agents and getting trades done that suit them. The success they've had in recent history and the timing has been perfect for them, it's a self perpetuating cycle now. Big club, win flags, attract players who want to go to a big club, win flags, become big club, attract good players, win flags.

S Coast Simon
11-10-2018, 08:45 PM
It is sad but unfortunately we are viewed the same as North. Baggage. Until we win a few more premierships or at least be competing for them we will struggle. Like the interstate clubs I believe we should be concentrating on western district boys. Buying premierships doesn’t work to often. You have to grow the team then you can buy a couple to stay up there. We are growing a pretty good team at the moment. Pick 7 will be a good player

G-Mo77
11-10-2018, 10:07 PM
Meh.

Back to the draft and continue to build.

It's not a good balance though. We'll get a good player, that I have no doubt but we've been gutted of our mid to late 20s yr olds and now topping up with more 18 year old kids. I certainly don't expect to win many games with this list in 2019.

Duryea, Lloyd and 3 - 4 18 year olds.

This sucks that we're in such a mess only 2 seasons after winning a flag.

bornadog
12-10-2018, 12:06 AM
What hope do the smaller clubs have. The destination clubs don't even have to worry about high draft picks as they wait a couple of years and then pick the eyes out of the smaller clubs knowing they are ready to go. It is only to get worse as well.

Geelong gets Dangerfield, and Ablett and they bomb out of the finals. Essendon get the three S and they can't even make finals. Buddy goes to Sydney, can't win a premiership.

I wouldn't be worrying about FA one bit. We just need to trade sensibly like last year for needs.

Eastdog
12-10-2018, 12:19 AM
Yeah not the end of the world if we don't get Chad Wingard. We have some good forwards coming through who will hopefully get better next year. We get the ball into the forward 50 enough times and moved it quite well from half back in the latter part of 2018 just need to be better in how we structure our forward line to get the best efficiency there we can.

We have young list who did very well in 2018. If we can have limited injuries who knows we might surprise in 2019 but still it will be tough to make the finals. Getting guys like Picken back will help with experience and great to have Wally and Moz there. Moz is a Bulldog icon along with our many greats.

kruder
12-10-2018, 10:11 AM
Geelong gets Dangerfield, and Ablett and they bomb out of the finals. Essendon get the three S and they can't even make finals. Buddy goes to Sydney, can't win a premiership.

I wouldn't be worrying about FA one bit. We just need to trade sensibly like last year for needs.

If we get pick 7 right and they are at the level of Richards and Naughty we will be laughing. Add West to the mix in which its hard to see him not becoming a solid AFL player its a nice little foursome to have coming through when the Bont, Macrae, Hunter Mclean, Williams, Dunkley, English, Schache and Boyd hit their prime. We may be taking a little longer road this way but as you point out its the sides that have grown organically together, built their own narrative, have been the sides that have been successful in the last 3 years.

Bumper Bulldogs
12-10-2018, 10:30 AM

Totally agree, we all can see that the draft has worked well over the previous years and lets back them in again. A big name is good for Sponsorship and membership. But slow and steady wins the race!

I'm just hoping that we can work out the problems we have had with injuries over the last 3 years, if we can find out a solution to this curse, that would be just like drafting a fully fit Libba, Picken, wood, Bont, Morris, Boyd, Dickson and Suckling. Pretty handy list if these guys were available to play 20 games a season.

Greystache
12-10-2018, 10:39 AM

All 5 of those were trades.

Hawthorn's 3 peat was built on Burgoyne, Lake, Gunston, Gibson, Hale, Mcevoy, Guerra all of whom were traded in.

bornadog
12-10-2018, 10:47 AM
All 5 of those were trades.

Hawthorn's 3 peat was built on Burgoyne, Lake, Gunston, Gibson, Hale, Mcevoy, Guerra all of whom were traded in.

Perhaps I need to qualify, I should have stated, trading in big names on big dollars. All teams bring in players from other clubs, Hawks have been successful doing it as you have stated above. Even we had Biggs, Boyd and Hamling in our premiership team.

Hot_Doggies
12-10-2018, 10:58 AM
It was built on the draft. Lewis, Roughead, Franklin, Rioli etc etc.

It was finished off with recycled players. I think Hawthorn and Clarkson have forgotten that fact...

bornadog
12-10-2018, 11:03 AM
It was built on the draft. Lewis, Roughead, Franklin, Rioli etc etc.

It was finished off with recycled players. I think Hawthorn and Clarkson have forgotten that fact...

They are now stuck with 9 plus on the 30 and over age bracket. It is a big hole to dig out of.

LostDog
12-10-2018, 11:14 AM
I'm sorry but I have no faith in Sam Power as our list manager, and I think the heavy hitters from other clubs are laughing at us,
I look at Brady Rawlings last year at WC he at least took risks and was heavily scrutinized fir his movements of draft picks.
We are gonna be a mid to bottom range team that no one will want to go to, no more 2016s any time soon

bornadog
12-10-2018, 11:16 AM
I'm sorry but I have no faith in Sam Power as our list manager, and I think the heavy hitters from other clubs are laughing at us,
I look at Brady Rawlings last year at WC he at least took risks and was heavily scrutinized fir his movements of draft picks.
We are gonna be a mid to bottom range team that no one will want to go to, no more 2016s any time soon

Give him a break, early days.

hujsh
12-10-2018, 11:21 AM
Sam Power didn't cave in to Port and give them want at the trade table and wanted Wingard to earn some money after a history of inconsistent effort/results. What a loser. How will we win trade week if this keeps up?

lemmon
12-10-2018, 11:28 AM
Would have liked us to have been in the ear of Scully. We need exactly what he brings to the table.

Fire sale going on at GWS and I don't think we got the memo.

Mantis
12-10-2018, 11:36 AM
Would have liked us to have been in the ear of Scully. We need exactly what he brings to the table.

Do you know for sure that we haven't been (in his ear) or just going off when you hear through the media?

Grantysghost
12-10-2018, 11:41 AM

You would hope we were involved. He probably wants to go to Hawks.

lemmon
12-10-2018, 11:41 AM
Do you know for sure that we haven't been (in his ear) or just going off when you hear through the media?

Purely from what's in the papers.

For all I know Sam has been sending him roses and whispering sweet nothings...but I'd imagine we'd have been linked to him somewhere if we had made an enquiry.

The Bulldogs Bite
12-10-2018, 11:43 AM
Reality is you need to nail the draft (obviously) and trade well.

We can do the former but we cannot do the latter. Yes we won the flag in 2016 but what are the odds of us doing it again with the changing landscape?

Without Tom Boyd we don't win the 2016 flag. That was a godfather one off deal which we got done and I'm not sure we can do that again.

I'd almost say you can't win the flag now without being an astute trader. I look at Melbourne who have been able to get Lever and potentially May, Richmond getting Lynch/Prestia/Caddy/Nankervis, Essendon getting Shiel and co and I wonder how we are going to compete?

It essentially means we can't afford very many misses at the draft, which is difficult, and the likes of Collingwood/Melbourne/Richmond are still doing well at the draft too.

Geelong/Hawthorn are two sides who haven't got the balance right between trading/drafting but I would say it's easier to re-focus that than be in our position of trying to somehow become better at attracting/trading for quality players.

We are up against it with the current landscape and the last thing I want to see if our list get younger, get belted and trod out the "we are the youngest list in the competition" line because at the end of the day if you aren't winning games of footy then nobody cares how young you are.

bornadog
12-10-2018, 11:55 AM
Reality is you need to nail the draft (obviously) and trade well.

We can do the former but we cannot do the latter. Yes we won the flag in 2016 but what are the odds of us doing it again with the changing landscape?

I don't agree with this totally. Yes we haven't traded in an A grader, but we have some very good players that have helped us like Biggs, Hamling, Trengove, Crozier, Suckling, and the former number two pick Schache who looks to have great potential.

You seem to be really concerned that A grade players have rejected us - I wouldn't be too worried, no use selling the farm for guys like Windgard who has been just as bad as Dahlhaus in the past two years.

I for one think, under Bevo, we have traded in some very good players that have filled our needs as the young group develops.

The Bulldogs Bite
12-10-2018, 11:59 AM
I don't agree with this totally. Yes we haven't traded in an A grader, but we have some very good players that have helped us like Biggs, Hamling, Trengove, Crozier, Suckling, and the former number two pick Schache who looks to have great potential.

You seem to be really concerned that A grade players have rejected us - I wouldn't be too worried, no use selling the farm for guys like Windgard who has been just as bad as Dahlhaus in the past two years.

I for one think, under Bevo, we have traded in some very good players that have filled our needs as the young group develops.

The players we have traded in were mostly fringe types. Biggs and Hamling couldn't get a game at other clubs. They worked out OK but they are also no longer on the list.

Trengove wasn't getting games and is a C grader whilst Crozier and Suckling have been solid additions. Neither had too many suitors though.

The point is that most other clubs can still draft well, trade in fringe types to fill roles but also attract the odd high end talent. History suggests we can do the first two but not the latter and in a landscape where player movement is increasing, that's not a great sign for us - it makes getting to the top harder than it ever has before.

I don't want 2016 to be a flash in the pan but it looks that way.

Greystache
12-10-2018, 12:04 PM

Hamling was a delisted free agent and Trengove was a restricted free agent. Neither of their clubs wanted to keep them.

bornadog
12-10-2018, 12:08 PM
Hamling was a delisted free agent and Trengove was a restricted free agent. Neither of their clubs wanted to keep them.

Not sure your point here? Both worked out pretty well and they came from another club.

hujsh
12-10-2018, 12:12 PM

I believe Geelong wanted to rookie Hamling.

The Adelaide Connection
12-10-2018, 12:31 PM
I have just now adopted an optimistic mindset that our club is just water tight and more stealthy than everyone else.

The tumbleweeds coming from our club during this trade period so far is because nobody can figure out our genius master plans and no information leaks out. We have so many sneaky irons in fires and will strike when the time is right.

Seriously though, why do people think that just because nothing is being reported that nothing is happening? Have seen people on FB and BF especially completely melting down and labelling Sam Power a failure already. Strange stuff.

Sedat
12-10-2018, 12:42 PM

Wingard has been light years ahead of Dahl in the last 2 years.

We are good at identifying fringe players for need, but we are poor at nailing high profile trades. That is irrefutable based on the last 3 years of targeted players and lack of success bringing them to the club. We’re certainly not the Lone Ranger there.

Cyberdoggie
12-10-2018, 12:49 PM

We are good at identifying fringe players for need, but we are poor at nailing high profile trades. That is irrefutable based on the last 3 years of targeted players and lack of success bringing them to the club. We’re certainly not the Lone Ranger there.

Personally i'm glad we haven't got Wingard, as we would have to give up too much to get him. Should not be trading pick7 for anything

bornadog
12-10-2018, 12:50 PM

Unlike others, I am not concerned about bringing in high profile players. If we get one , fantastic.

bulldogtragic
12-10-2018, 12:52 PM
Well if we are keeping 7, that's us pretty much done for the trade period of any substantial player trade incoming.

SquirrelGrip
12-10-2018, 12:53 PM
How about Pick 7 and Adams to Brisbane for Pick 5?

Greystache
12-10-2018, 12:56 PM
Not sure your point here? Both worked out pretty well and they came from another club.

You said we've traded in role players and named three free agents to prove it. Suckling was a free agent as well BTW, but Hawthorn wanted to keep him to a certain degree.

Greystache
12-10-2018, 12:58 PM
I believe Geelong wanted to rookie Hamling.

But they'd already delisted him from the main list, so their interest in him was at least minimal.

BornInDroopSt'54
12-10-2018, 01:16 PM
I have just now adopted an optimistic mindset that our club is just water tight and more stealthy than everyone else.

The tumbleweeds coming from our club during this trade period so far is because nobody can figure out our genius master plans and no information leaks out. We have so many sneaky irons in fires and will strike when the time is right.

Seriously though, why do people think that just because nothing is being reported that nothing is happening? Have seen people on FB and BF especially completely melting down and labelling Sam Power a failure already. Strange stuff.

Negativity and anxiety are much easier positions to take than hope and trust. Emotional intelligence comes into it. Doomsdayers are a dime a dozen.

bornadog
12-10-2018, 01:48 PM
You said we've traded in role players and named three free agents to prove it. Suckling was a free agent as well BTW, but Hawthorn wanted to keep him to a certain degree.

ok, players that wanted to come to us from other clubs.

Remi Moses
12-10-2018, 02:50 PM

Bout right . Certainly not worth the hand wringing that some are going on with . Fair play to Hawthorn though they’ve addressed needs with let’s be honest fringe players i.e Guerra, Hale amongst others with gems like Gunston ( whom we were in for) McEvoy Lake and Gibson .

The Adelaide Connection
12-10-2018, 06:02 PM
Well, the free agency window has officially closed. Nothing for Liberatore or Roughead?

bornadog
12-10-2018, 06:03 PM
Well, the free agency window has officially closed. Nothing for Liberatore or Roughead?

Yeah what happens now?

Edit:

Tom Browne‏ (https://twitter.com/TomBrowne7)
I think pies potentially into Jordan Roughead. It’s early days but no one seems to be doing a great job dismissing it. Following up

Axe Man
12-10-2018, 06:09 PM
Yeah what happens now?

Guess it's one of trade, re-sign or delist.

bornadog
12-10-2018, 06:14 PM
Guess it's one of trade, re-sign or delist.

Does this mean the players can no longer go to the club of their choice without a trade happening?

bulldogtragic
12-10-2018, 06:14 PM
Yeah what happens now?

Edit:

I think pies potentially into Jordan Roughead. It’s early days but no one seems to be doing a great job dismissing it. Following up

Collingwood probably wouldn't want to impact their compo for Fasolo, as it was a third rounder which could get wiped out. At a guess if they were interested maybe it could be our pick 63 for their pick 57 for 70 extra draft points (63 into pick 51 - for 140 extra draft points - if they're generous).

bulldogtragic
12-10-2018, 06:17 PM
Does this mean the players can no longer go to the club of their choice without a trade happening?

They can walk out to the PSD and do it that way, with a degree of certainty. But Roughy went before 17 clubs with a free pass for picks, and all passed on him. I think from here it's a minor bump in the draft order if we are lucky.

Axe Man
12-10-2018, 06:24 PM
They can walk out to the PSD and do it that way, with a degree of certainty. But Roughy went before 17 clubs with a free pass for picks, and all passed on him. I think from here it's a minor bump in the draft order if we are lucky.

No need for the pre season draft, they can just sign where they like as a delisted free agent if they don't re-sign by the end of the month.

bulldogtragic
12-10-2018, 06:25 PM
No need for the pre season draft, they can just sign where they like as a delisted free agent if they don't re-sign.

We would need to first de-list them to have them categorised as such wouldn't we?

Axe Man
12-10-2018, 06:29 PM
We would need to first de-list them to have them categorised as such wouldn't we?

They either re-sign or they are delisted come the end of the month by virtue of not re-signing and being out of contract I would think.

bornadog
12-10-2018, 06:32 PM
They either re-sign or they are delisted come the end of the month by virtue of not re-signing and being out of contract I would think.

Contracts end on October 31

bulldogtragic
12-10-2018, 06:35 PM

I don't see him staying. I think if a club came along like WCE/Collingwood with a small cache of draft points by way of a small upgrade is how I see it fizzing out if he stays in the system. Maybe he has to do what Zac Clarke did and dominate a state league. Who would've thought on the 1st October 2016 this would be the discussion about Roughy? :(

ledge
12-10-2018, 07:05 PM
I would keep him , he can still fill in if needed in a few places , I think he is honest and you can’t question his endeavour. I like him I think he is good for the group, he always seemed popular and a leader.
I do believe we offered him a contract but also told him if he wants to look around go ahead.
He has looked around nothing is around so I believe he might stay.

Rocket Science
12-10-2018, 09:04 PM
Libba update from our unofficial envoy ...

https://preview.ibb.co/dYPkop/Screen-Shot-2018-10-12-at-7-58-51-PM.png (https://ibb.co/fEhGuU)

Precisely the sort of stuff any new deal might be highly contingent upon, you'd think.

LostDog
12-10-2018, 09:05 PM
Mark Stevens tweeted May Unlikely

LostDog
12-10-2018, 09:06 PM
https://twitter.com/Stevo7AFL/status/1050665546448961537

Doc26
12-10-2018, 09:06 PM
Yeah what happens now?

Edit:

He’s now tweeting that it’s a done deal. Roughy to the Pies.

Collingwood have a new recruit. The Dogs Jordan Roughead will sign on with the pies, announcement not far off #exclusive #pies @7AFL @7NewsMelbourne @triplemfooty #collingwood

FrediKanoute
12-10-2018, 10:25 PM
He’s now tweeting that it’s a done deal. Roughy to the Pies.

The Matty Boyd influence.......

bulldogtragic
12-10-2018, 10:29 PM
Saw this on Twitter from ESPN Chris Doerre. It's hard because he's a premiership hero and that contested mark after the goal wrongly overturned was vital in the flag, but it's pretty clear a lot of people and all the other clubs see it this way (as he wasn't taken as a FA):

" A lot of people talking about Jordan Roughead like he's a best 22 calibre player. He's a depth player with no position. Ruck? He's a poor tap ruckman - at the worst possible time with rule changes. Not a great 1v1 defender and not a factor forward of centre."

Dancin' Douggy
12-10-2018, 10:32 PM
not bad actually

The Bulldogs Bite
12-10-2018, 10:36 PM
Good luck to Rough.

Still very concerned about how young our list is now - we’ll have to put this list into daycare when they’re not training at the club.

After the club and Bevos talk about adding experience to our list and being active in trading, we are - again - doing the polar opposite. I know there’s a few days left so I’ll reserve judgement but surely we can’t go into 2019 considerably younger than 2018.

DOG GOD
12-10-2018, 10:40 PM
I’m still expecting the likes of Lloyd, Townsend, duryea and rose to be in the mix for a bulldogs jumper come Wednesday night. That will be sure to add some years to our avge.

hujsh
12-10-2018, 10:50 PM
I’m still expecting the likes of Lloyd, Townsend, duryea and rose to be in the mix for a bulldogs jumper come Wednesday night. That will be sure to add some years to our avge.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/FavorableNarrowIrishsetter-size_restricted.gif

DOG GOD
12-10-2018, 10:57 PM
Just imagine this for a hypothetical trade period....

Out - Dahl, Roughead, Adams, redpath, Biggs, Campbell, honeychurch, C Smith

In - lynch, gowers, West, khamis, pick 7, lloyd, Townsend/Rose, duryea

Greystache
13-10-2018, 12:21 AM
" A lot of people talking about Jordan Roughead like he's a best 22 calibre player. He's a depth player with no position. Ruck? He's a poor tap ruckman - at the worst possible time with rule changes. Not a great 1v1 defender and not a factor forward of centre."

He's a Bulldog supporter who played a role in winning us a premiership, so naturally we'd defend him, but that decription's also not quite right. He's an average tap ruckman, a terrible forward, and a reasonable backman with limited match up options. His biggest problem is his inability to stay fit within a match, let alone for a full season. Spending half a game each week on the bench getting treatment kills the team. Add to that his diminishing returns year on year and he's at best clinging to a life in the AFL system. He's not without a position, he's without a position he can play for 120 minutes every week.

hujsh
13-10-2018, 12:27 AM
He's a Bulldog supporter who played a role in winning us a premiership, so naturally we'd defend him, but that decription's also not quite right. He's an average tap ruckman, a terrible forward, and a reasonable backman with limited match up options. His biggest problem is his inability to stay fit within a match, let alone for a full season. Spending half a game each week on the bench getting treatment kills the team. Add to that his diminishing returns year on year and he's at best clinging to a life in the AFL system. He's not without a position, he's without a position he can play for 120 minutes every week.

100% this. In a dual ruck set up this might be OK but for us it's meant whoever our key forward is has to play half the match in the ruck

Greystache
13-10-2018, 12:36 AM
100% this. In a dual ruck set up this might be OK but for us it's meant whoever our key forward is has to play half the match in the ruck

Which ironically he did on the biggest day in our recent history and took 6 contested marks, smashed a few bodies, and kicked a lazy 3 something while Roughy was fit to ruck and he could play forward. But if we're honest it hasn't happened since. I want to defend Roughy but it's not easy.

Twodogs
13-10-2018, 12:43 AM
Libba update from our unofficial envoy ...

https://preview.ibb.co/dYPkop/Screen-Shot-2018-10-12-at-7-58-51-PM.png (https://ibb.co/fEhGuU)

Precisely the sort of stuff any new deal might be highly contingent upon, you'd think.

I drove over Mt Mistake through the week (Wednesday afternoon I think) and Libba was out running laps of Whitten oval and bouncing a footy. A lot of people who are happy to slate him don't understand how hard he works.

bulldogtragic
13-10-2018, 12:49 AM

Here I was hoping some club would throw him something small to net us a third rounder compo for his exit. Now best case appears to be a pick upgrade along way down the draft order. But if goes to another club for nothing and their competent fitness staff keep him in the park and he translates that into form any bloody position that will be proof absolute, we must re-contract our health and fitness staff for another decade.

Happy Days
13-10-2018, 02:04 AM
I love Roughy, and I hope that one day I see him at the appropriate time and tell him as much and exactly why (as I've got to do with other premiership players), but go get your contract anywhere you can and do you.

FrediKanoute
13-10-2018, 03:35 AM
Which ironically he did on the biggest day in our recent history and took 6 contested marks, smashed a few bodies, and kicked a lazy 3 something while Roughy was fit to ruck and he could play forward. But if we're honest it hasn't happened since. I want to defend Roughy but it's not easy.

Is Roughies demise as much to do with Boyd's troubles as anything else?

GVGjr
13-10-2018, 08:36 AM
Good luck to Rough.

Still very concerned about how young our list is now - we’ll have to put this list into daycare when they’re not training at the club.

After the club and Bevos talk about adding experience to our list and being active in trading, we are - again - doing the polar opposite. I know there’s a few days left so I’ll reserve judgement but surely we can’t go into 2019 considerably younger than 2018.

I get that it's a young list however, we shouldn't necessarily be looking to add experienced players just for the sake of it. It either makes sense or it doesn't and that's why I'm not that concerned if we land some experienced players or not.
There are a lot of players looking for other homes at the moment and we might still acquire a couple of them but I think our future is very much linked to developing the younger players we have on our list

We will have a core group that include Wood, Bontempelli, Wallis, Liberatore, Macrae, Johannisen, Hunter, Crozier, McLean, Daniel, Boyd, Cordy and Dunkley supported by the likes of Trengove, Morris, Dickson, Picken and Suckling and an emerging group that includes Schache, Williams, Gowers, Richards, Naughton, Lipinski, Lewis and English

For whatever reason I think we can enter the 2020 season in very good shape if we can keep developing the right players.

My focus would be on trading for players would be to focus on younger players with some experience not necessarily players with 100 games experience. If there are players that have struggled to get regular games at strong sides and they fit our needs then that probably works for me.

G-Mo77
13-10-2018, 08:54 AM
When the experience you're adding is only depth at best (Lloyd, Dureya) it's not going to help but Roughy was voted into the leadership group and so is respected by the players around him. Just throwing him away for nothing is dumb especially with the state of our unbalanced list. Worst case scenario he plays Tom Campbells role at VFL level and jumps in if needed. Our ruck sticks are thin. English IMO can't hold it down alone and who knows what we're going to get out of Boyd. Why not just keep a great guy like Roughy around?

GVGjr
13-10-2018, 09:09 AM
When the experience you're adding is only depth at best (Lloyd, Dureya) it's not going to help but Roughy was voted into the leadership group and so is respected by the players around him. Just throwing him away for nothing is dumb especially with the state of our unbalanced list. Worst case scenario he plays Tom Campbells role at VFL level and jumps in if needed. Our ruck sticks are thin. English IMO can't hold it down alone and who knows what we're going to get out of Boyd. Why not just keep a great guy like Roughy around?

There is no problems with keeping Roughead but you can see why he wanted to test the market and why we probably only wanted to offer a smaller contract. I don't for one second dismiss the way he has conducted himself since being at the club and the fact that he is a good leader. If he can accept a reduced role going forward then he is a great back-up for us

azabob
13-10-2018, 09:45 AM
I drove over Mt Mistake through the week (Wednesday afternoon I think) and Libba was out running laps of Whitten oval and bouncing a footy. A lot of people who are happy to slate him don't understand how hard he works.

Work ethic off or on field has never been questioned with Tom Liberatore.

ratsmac
13-10-2018, 10:30 AM
https://ibb.co/dHix19

LostDog
14-10-2018, 02:55 PM
I know our thoughts on bigfooty but geez I hope this is true

Lloyd will come in for a swap of 4th or 5th round picks.

Menzel will come in on a cheap contract as their are no other takers. We are keen if st kilda don't let go Long. Don't think we will take both.

May is open to coming to the dogs. It's 50/50 with Melb. If Melbourne don't do anything with Fremantle by Monday, I'd expect May to choose the dogs. We are looking to trade next years first and Honeychurch/Jong as the club is confident they get Bailey Smith at 7.

Bont is close to signing a 6 year deal for around 7 million. (Unders in the current market).

Let's see how it pans out over the next couple of days.

bulldogtragic
14-10-2018, 03:00 PM

Menzel will come in on a cheap contract as their are no other takers. We are keen if st kilda don't let go Long. Don't think we will take both.

May is open to coming to the dogs. It's 50/50 with Melb. If Melbourne don't do anything with Fremantle by Monday, I'd expect May to choose the dogs. We are looking to trade next years first and Honeychurch/Jong as the club is confident they get Bailey Smith at 7.

Bont is close to signing a 6 year deal for around 7 million. (Unders in the current market).

All I see is Bont re-signing and words around it... :D

kruder
14-10-2018, 03:00 PM

I still think we are one of the few clubs that can do the May deal. I'm keen for a future first.

How do people feel about adding Menzel and Lloyd considering we have Dickson and Picken vying for similar roles? I juts cant see how Menzel and Loyd play in the same forward line. One of the two is plenty for me.

The Adelaide Connection
14-10-2018, 03:04 PM

There was also this post a few pages back:
“For what it is worth was speaking to cousin who seems to get the inside word on everything happening at the dogs (don't know how but has been fairly spot on over the last few years) got him on the piss and he let rip with everything he has heard. This is what I deciphered from his ramblings.

Menzel - His management approached the Dogs willing to come for 2 year deal on not much money - Dogs slight interest but only for a really late pick.
Honey - Been shopped around to anyone interested for a really late pick and only GCS nibbling
Lloyd - Deal done both clubs just waiting for closer to end of trade period to work out pick exchanges
Adams - Gone to Bris - Neale (and now Beams) deal holding things up but Bris initial offer was round 3 pick dogs knocked it back will get done all about the right points
May- Don't rule it out Collingwood don't have the cap space Hogan deal is shot Dogs ready to swoop late and he not keen to go back to the Suns
Scully - Dogs went hard but knocked us back really quick
Jake Long - Will be at dogs, Saints want overs but will get done for right price
Libba - Done Management and club just haggling over clauses about which earn him more money - Games played and few other things apparently a real incentive based deal just 1 year also with trigger for second on better money if he meets all the targets
Duryea- Hasn't heard anything on that one
Bugg - His management came knocking
Cavarra- Williamstown small forward dogs very keen either late pick or rookie”

Cavarra from Williamstown is an interesting call. Has anyone seen much of him?

DOG GOD
14-10-2018, 03:08 PM

Yeah also saw that, he also stated that swans had put a buddy like deal to bonts manager.

LostDog
14-10-2018, 03:17 PM
If these are factual I'll gladly eat humble pie on my Sam Power hate post the other day

GVGjr
14-10-2018, 03:42 PM

BF is fine, no need to dismiss content from anywhere if the person posting it has some form.

Bontempelli signing for that sort of money would be huge for us
Getting Lloyd seems to be a formality, adding Long might be an expense we can't afford
Re Menzel given we already have Picken, Dickson and as good as have Lloyd would there be room for him?

Poor Jongy being linked to another move this time to the Suns.

May would be a great addition

Twodogs
14-10-2018, 03:50 PM
BF is fine, no need to dismiss content from anywhere if the person posting it has some form.

Bontempelli signing for that sort of money would be huge for us
Getting Lloyd seems to be a formality, adding Long might be an expense we can't afford
Re Menzel given we already have Picken, Dickson and as good as have Lloyd would there be room for him?

Poor Jongy being linked to another move this time to the Suns.

May would be a great addition

I hope Lin Jong likes Queensland because we seem obsessed with sending him up there.

EasternWest
14-10-2018, 04:31 PM
I would be happy with most of this. Menzel I can take or leave.

Bugg is an outright no for me.

Rocket Science
14-10-2018, 04:40 PM
Should we bag Menzel I wonder if combined games played by him, Dicko and Pickers would add up to a full season ... for one player.

Rocket Science
14-10-2018, 04:41 PM
Bugg is an outright no for me.

Hang on, he might be useful polishing JJ's medals.

Jeezus I hope we're nowhere near the chump.

bulldogtragic
14-10-2018, 04:44 PM
Hang on, he might be useful polishing JJ's medals.

Jeezus I hope we're nowhere near the chump.

I'd take him for one year. For one game. Back pocket on Toby Greene. He gets a bonus $10,000 on the minimum contract for each week the AFEL give him for doing the only thing he's good at.

Worth every cent.

Happy Days
14-10-2018, 04:47 PM
I'd take him for one year. For one game. Back pocket on Toby Greene. He gets a bonus $10,000 on the minimum contract for each week the AFEL give him for doing the only thing he's good at.

Worth every cent.

King Tobes would spark him then kick 8. Gotta remember they're both psychos but Toby is a jet and Bugg is not.

bulldogtragic
14-10-2018, 04:51 PM
King Tobes would spark him then kick 8. Gotta remember they're both psychos but Toby is a jet and Bugg is not.

But I draw pleasure from the thought of violence from someone in our jumper, onto the face of TG. Doesn't make me sadistic. Much.

Twodogs
14-10-2018, 05:23 PM
But I draw pleasure from the thought of violence from someone in our jumper, onto the face of TG. Doesn't make me sadistic. Much.

Is that a sadistic attitude? Really? It's not normal and healthy feeling like that?

I need to watch myself...

Jeanette54
14-10-2018, 06:38 PM
I know our thoughts on bigfooty, but geez I hope this is true.

Blah, blah, blah...….. yadda, yadda, yadda...…… rhubard, rhubarb...… etc. etc.

Sorry, what was the rest of it. Nah, really who cares. :cool:

GVGjr
14-10-2018, 09:01 PM
There was also this post a few pages back:
“For what it is worth was speaking to cousin who seems to get the inside word on everything happening at the dogs (don't know how but has been fairly spot on over the last few years) got him on the piss and he let rip with everything he has heard. This is what I deciphered from his ramblings.

Menzel - His management approached the Dogs willing to come for 2 year deal on not much money - Dogs slight interest but only for a really late pick.
Honey - Been shopped around to anyone interested for a really late pick and only GCS nibbling
Lloyd - Deal done both clubs just waiting for closer to end of trade period to work out pick exchanges
Adams - Gone to Bris - Neale (and now Beams) deal holding things up but Bris initial offer was round 3 pick dogs knocked it back will get done all about the right points
May- Don't rule it out Collingwood don't have the cap space Hogan deal is shot Dogs ready to swoop late and he not keen to go back to the Suns
Scully - Dogs went hard but knocked us back really quick
Jake Long - Will be at dogs, Saints want overs but will get done for right price
Libba - Done Management and club just haggling over clauses about which earn him more money - Games played and few other things apparently a real incentive based deal just 1 year also with trigger for second on better money if he meets all the targets
Duryea- Hasn't heard anything on that one
Bugg - His management came knocking
Cavarra- Williamstown small forward dogs very keen either late pick or rookie”

Cavarra from Williamstown is an interesting call. Has anyone seen much of him?

It's an intriguing shopping even if it's close to being accurate

May makes sense especially if we are to lose Adams

Menzel has a lot of talent but when you already as good as have a deal in place with Lloyd and have the likes of Picken, Dickson, Gowers, Greene and Lynch on the list it's an intriguing consideration. In 2019 are we going to have as many half forward flanker as we had half back flankers this year?

Chasing Long is also a but of a head scratcher and he might be a luxury we can't afford anyway. I also don't quite get the focus on Duryea or Bugg if they are in the mix
It's a shame that Jong is even being considered as trade bait, rumours about him leaving seem to happen most years

It's also a shame that Scully shot us down

Dry Rot
14-10-2018, 10:31 PM
OK, we are Plan B or C for both Wingard and May to leave their current clubs.

If, per chance, both find themselves having to look to us, which one would you take?

GVGjr
14-10-2018, 10:36 PM
OK, we are Plan B or C for both Wingard and May to leave their current clubs.

If, per chance, both find themselves having to look to us, which one would you take?

It seems like you haven't quite accepted the Wingard decision but he was and should have been the preferred target.
May is a nice fit if Adams goes but Wingard was the better option

Dry Rot
14-10-2018, 10:57 PM
It seems like you haven't quite accepted the Wingard decision but he was and should have been the preferred target.
May is a nice fit if Adams goes but Wingard was the better option

I have neither accepted on not accepted Wingard's decision.

Just seems to me that Hawks will have a hard time getting the trade over the line for them.

If they don't, what happens?

Eastdog
14-10-2018, 11:02 PM

Just seems to me that Hawks will have a hard time getting the trade over the line for them.

Probably stay with Port.

kruder
14-10-2018, 11:14 PM
AFL site reporting Duryea most likely a Bulldog at the end of the trade period.

GVGjr
14-10-2018, 11:16 PM

We've received an emphatic rejection and have to move on.
I'd go so far as saying that even if someone was willing to overpay for our pick 7 and then use that to facilitate a Wingard trade to the Hawks we should on principle say no.

We need to make sure Wingard is on the business end of unsociable football when we next play the Hawks.

kruder
14-10-2018, 11:17 PM
I wonder if there is any possibility if we end the trade period with May, Scully, pick 7 and West.

GVGjr
14-10-2018, 11:19 PM
I wonder if there is any possibility if we end the trade period with May, Scully, pick 7 and West.

May, pick 7 and West are all strong chances. Scully a longshot at the moment.

I get the impression we have some players in our sights with pick 7 and we are comfortable to use next years first rounder if a good deal can be had.

kruder
14-10-2018, 11:26 PM
May, pick 7 and West are all strong chances. Scully a longshot at the moment.

I get the impression we have some players in our sights with pick 7 and we are comfortable to use next years first rounder if a good deal can be had.

It would be a very good result.

GVGjr
15-10-2018, 06:59 AM
I get that Taylor Duryea is a decent enough footballer but what would be our attraction in trading for him?

He's not really a midfielder and as a small defender or forward does he really offer that much for us? As a small forward he's not a noted goal kicker. At two tackles a game it does not appear that he's a fantastic pressure forward either but I guess it's as a small forward and on occasions as a small defender where we see him fitting in for us. Perhaps it's his versatility we like.

I like his kicking skills and he would add a bit to the experience column which seems important to some people but I don't think he offers us a lot especially in the area's we should be looking to address. When we've played the Hawks he does catch the eye at times but nothing that has really captured the imagination.

I'd be happy to hear why he might be a good addition for us?

Remi Moses
15-10-2018, 07:32 AM
Tend to agree G . Not sure what the attraction is

GVGjr
15-10-2018, 07:41 AM
I'm not happy about losing Marcus Adams because I think we just haven't seen enough of him to say we can do without him.
He's had a frustrating run of injuries but his best is pretty good.

In normal trade machinations we wanted their pick 24 and they of course offered one of their picks in the early 40's. Classic extremes of valuing a player. You obviously can't court a player with the upside Adams offers and with a 2 year contract already in place and expect a pick in the 40's to get it done though.

The compromised deal is supposed to be Adams for pick 32 and a swap of later picks. It's unclear who is giving that 'bit more' to get that deal over the line but for me it's very much about the devil in the detail.
We shouldn't be the ones to add a sweetener especially if that pick involves our pick 45.

There are a few options that might make that pick important to us:
1 - The points to acquire Khamis
2 - There will still be some very talented players in the draft
3 - It could be a handy piece in any potential player trade that pops up

As I said I like Adams and if the deal gets done it needs to make sense for us. At the end of the day if we don't do that deal he will happily play for us next year. So if there needs to be a sweetener added it absolutely needs to be coming back to us not the other way around.

Depending on our remaining priorities we could also consider requesting Brisbane's two picks at 41 and 44 because the combined points are greater than pick 32.

This is an important deal for us if it goes through.

GVGjr
15-10-2018, 08:04 AM
Tend to agree G . Not sure what the attraction is

If we had lost either Picken or Dickson I'd be a lot more enthusiastic about getting Duryea and the main concern is the logjam we already have for small forwards.

Nothing against him as a player but we do have some depth at what he offers

Murphy'sLore
15-10-2018, 09:21 AM
I know we still have Picken and Dickson but it does feel like both of them will hit the end of the road before the year is out.

Twodogs
15-10-2018, 09:38 AM
I'm not happy about losing Marcus Adams because I think we just haven't seen enough of him to say we can do without him.
He's had a frustrating run of injuries but his best is pretty good.

In normal trade machinations we wanted their pick 24 and they of course offered one of their picks in the early 40's. Classic extremes of valuing a player. You obviously can't court a player with the upside Adams offers and with a 2 year contract already in place and expect a pick in the 40's to get it done though.

The compromised deal is supposed to be Adams for pick 32 and a swap of later picks. It's unclear who is giving that 'bit more' to get that deal over the line but for me it's very much about the devil in the detail.
We shouldn't be the ones to add a sweetener especially if that pick involves our pick 45.

There are a few options that might make that pick important to us:
1 - The points to acquire Khamis
2 - There will still be some very talented players in the draft
3 - It could be a handy piece in any potential player trade that pops up

As I said I like Adams and if the deal gets done it needs to make sense for us. At the end of the day if we don't do that deal he will happily play for us next year. So if there needs to be a sweetener added it absolutely needs to be coming back to us not the other way around.

Depending on our remaining priorities we could also consider requesting Brisbane's two picks at 41 and 44 because the combined points are greater than pick 32.

This is an important deal for us if it goes through.

I don't understand why we have to give in in the first place. He's still contracted to us past this year.

bulldogtragic
15-10-2018, 09:39 AM
I don't understand why we have to give in in the first place. He's still contracted to us past this year.

If they offer 41 & 44 (= 24 in points) I'd take it. Pick 24 for Adams is a good return. Then trade pick 27 for a players that wants to be at the club. That's a double win.

GVGjr
15-10-2018, 09:40 AM
I know we still have Picken and Dickson but it does feel like both of them will hit the end of the road before the year is out.

We just signed Dickson for another year so I'd be confident both he and Picken will be playing next season.

ratsmac
15-10-2018, 10:01 AM
I'm not sure why we are going after Duryea as well. They only thing I could think of is he is an upgrade of Honeychurch. Quicker and a much better kick. But at an average of 15 disposals I don't think he gets the ball nearly as much as a player of his size and attributes should. His maturity and experience his something we can do with though.
I would wait until the last hour of trade week for this deal in case something better pops up.

comrade
15-10-2018, 10:15 AM
Beams going to Collingwood is looking likely, Hawthorn are apparently set to get Scully for huge unders & Wingard as well, Essendon getting Shiel.

These are all teams we need to leapfrog if we want to compete again yet they continue to get stronger and once again we miss out on our primary target so we’re forced to look at cast offs like Duryea & Lloyd.

I know there’s no trophy for being Trade Week premiers but it would be nice to see us really reinforcing our weaknesses with some deft deal making.

bulldogtragic
15-10-2018, 10:24 AM
Beams going to Collingwood is looking likely, Hawthorn are apparently set to get Scully for huge unders & Wingard as well, Essendon getting Shiel.

These are all teams we need to leapfrog if we want to compete again yet they continue to get stronger and once again we miss out on our primary target so we’re forced to look at cast offs like Duryea & Lloyd.

I know there’s no trophy for being Trade Week premiers but it would be nice to see us really reinforcing our weaknesses with some deft deal making.

That's the metric for judging the trade window. Does a club improve its list (a) very well (b) well (c) marginally to not at all.

Those clubs list pull ahead, making a ladder rise more likely than not. While ours looks likely not to with likely marginal talent profile increases. So to chase them down we are relying on development of younger players and our medical staff to actually do well at their job. Neither are certainties. We were already trying to chase them down finishing so low. Drafting good kids is good for the medium to longer term, but doesn't address the current skill or talent deficiencies. There's 59 hours left, I hope we aren't just picking up slops towards the end.

bornadog
15-10-2018, 11:00 AM
We just signed Dickson for another year so I'd be confident both he and Picken will be playing next season.

I think her point was she can't see them making an impact next year, whether through injury or reaching the heights we have seen in the past.

Murphy'sLore
15-10-2018, 11:01 AM

Oh! I meant next year. I think they will both start the season but I'm not so sure they will finish it.

GVGjr
15-10-2018, 11:05 AM
Oh! I meant next year. I think they will both start the season but I'm not so sure they will finish it.

That makes sense. Still we should be confident of at least one of them being available and on top of that we also should have Lloyd. Failing all that it just gives further experience for the likes of Greene and Lynch

EasternWest
15-10-2018, 11:19 AM

You're right and I agree, but at least Duryea and Lloyd actually fill a need, and they're upgrades on Honeychurch (with no disrespect intended) and the reliability/availability of Picken/Dickson.

If the strength of your team is really measured in the bottom six, then we've made improvements in that area.

If we somehow land May, well that would make it a startling success.

mjp
15-10-2018, 11:33 AM
That's the metric for judging the trade window. Does a club improve its list (a) very well (b) well (c) marginally to not at all.

Those clubs list pull ahead, making a ladder rise more likely than not.

I call BS on all of this. Well, not on the 'judging' part...but on the '...making a ladder rise more likely than not'.

Teams go up and down the ladder based on how they PLAY TOGETHER, not who they roll out. I was 100% keen on Wingard because he is a player that will win a team a game or two off his own boot each season...but if anyone actually thinks swapping Honeychurch out and Duryea in will make a cracker of difference to win/loss at the end of the year, well, that is not how it works.

Our fate rests in the more than capable hands of Bont, Macrae, JJ, Boyd and Wood. You can add a heap of names to that list if you like (Hunter would probably be the first one) but those 5x guys are either proven week-to-week AA-quality players or - in the case of Boyd - someone who won us a Grand Final by essentially taking over the game.

As supporters, we can (and do) influence the actions of the footy department...we want 'ACTION' hence the marketing team want 'ACTION' (they want stories to tell and sell) and then you have us giving away draft picks for fringe players. I am reading a fair bit of chat about us flippantly giving away a couple of picks in the 40's...well, that's fine. But I think we are all liking the work of Bailey Williams over the past 12-months or so...pretty sure he was around about selection 50 in the draft back in 2015.

'WINNING' the trade period is not important. Improving the team and - more importantly, the SYNERGY within the team - that's what is important (just ask Essendon - who actually don't seem to have learned their lesson) and Port Adelaide (who DO seem to have learned their lesson) about what winning Trade Period 2017 meant to their footy club (though, to be fair they both probably sold a shed load of memberships on the back of it). What is important to us is doing things like re-establishing the so-called 'handball club' of 2016...or rather, not the hb club in 'practice', but the handball club in spirit, passion and all those other words related to team dynamics.

Please don't tell me players like Lloyd and Duryea are 'better than' a pick in the 40's. They just aren't. Those are guys who should be grabbed to boost the bottom end of our list as either RESTRICTED or UNRESTRICTED free agents (as we did last year with Trengove)...

bulldogtragic
15-10-2018, 11:42 AM
Fair enough. I didn’t mean nearly all of what you rebutted though, either you’ve read them different to my post or I’ve poorly articulated myself. I actually agree in most parts.

mjp
15-10-2018, 11:48 AM
Fair enough. I didn’t mean nearly all of what you rebutted though, either you’ve read them different to my post or I’ve poorly articulated myself. I actually agree in most parts.

Well, your post with the comment on 'judging' was just the last straw for me. I was all in on Wingard - he is ELITE - but I haven't seen one other player who has been connected with us who I would trade a handful of beans for. I would RECRUIT May, but not for pick 7. No. Thank. You. He will be a FA in 12-months...get him then for nothing and keep the valuable first. If we need to give up pick 7 for May, then why the hell did we use a top 10 pick just 12-months ago on another key defender.

This period isn't a 'race for arms'...it is supposed to be a measured attempt to bring players who our footy dept have been targeting for 12-months (or more), not a 'hey, this guy is available, whaddayareckon' type back and forth.

The Bulldogs Bite
15-10-2018, 11:55 AM
I get that Taylor Duryea is a decent enough footballer but what would be our attraction in trading for him?

He's not really a midfielder and as a small defender or forward does he really offer that much for us? As a small forward he's not a noted goal kicker. At two tackles a game it does not appear that he's a fantastic pressure forward either but I guess it's as a small forward and on occasions as a small defender where we see him fitting in for us. Perhaps it's his versatility we like.

I like his kicking skills and he would add a bit to the experience column which seems important to some people but I don't think he offers us a lot especially in the area's we should be looking to address. When we've played the Hawks he does catch the eye at times but nothing that has really captured the imagination.

I'd be happy to hear why he might be a good addition for us?

I think you raise some valid points GVG.

Personally, assuming it's at little cost, I don't mind it.

Duryea has stagnated a little in recent times but he has been a regular fixture in what has largely been a successful side over the past 5-6 years.

Duryea's attributes are his disposal by foot (one of our big weaknesses), ability lock down small forwards (somewhat of a weakness), experience (big weakness) and versatility.

We seem to be putting a value on skill, which Duryea helps us address. He's at a good age and helps bridge the lack of experience, with plenty of footy still left in him. I kind of see him as an early replacement for Suckling who although has been solid value, his body is declining and I suspect he takes up a NFL opportunity after 2019.

There does seem a logjam for defenders but most of them are attacking - ie. JJ, Crozier, Richards, Lynch and even Williams. I suspect we will see Richards up the ground a little more and ditto Williams who may transition into a full time mid. Lynch was trialled forward and I don't think he's got enough physicality yet to play back. Duryea is more 'lockdown' than these 5 although he has some weapons by foot.

I would like to see Duryea's tackle numbers a little higher and would be interested as to why they are so low. The eye test tells me he's got some grunt and isn't a bad tackler, so I wonder if his tackle stats have only gone down in the past 12 months or so.

Form a pure list spot perspective, Duryea would comfortably be in our best 25 too.

Ozza
15-10-2018, 11:58 AM
The 2018 draft has been touted for quite some time as a strong draft.

For that reason, I'm not stressed out about not landing a big name - should that not happen - because having a number of picks in this draft might be the best thing for the long term of the club.

Don't get me wrong - I'd love to get May for next years 1st pick perhaps (and hope like hell we have a better year in 2019 than this year) - but I don't think finishing the trade period with pick 7, and multiple picks through the 20s to 40s - is a bad thing.

Bullies
15-10-2018, 12:20 PM

I know there’s no trophy for being Trade Week premiers but it would be nice to see us really reinforcing our weaknesses with some deft deal making. This is something we need to get used to unfortunately. Players want to go the destination clubs and will play for unders. If clubs like us and North/Saints want to land the big fish we need to sell the farm and pay overs. It will only get worse and the AFL will do nothing about it as they want to maximise crowds/tv deals with the big clubs being successful.

The big clubs will continue to pillage the smaller clubs. Watch in 2 years time when the Suns picks 2 and 3 this year go back to Adelaide.

Somehow they all seem to find a way around the salary cap as well.

bulldogtragic
15-10-2018, 12:42 PM
Well, your post with the comment on 'judging' was just the last straw for me. I was all in on Wingard - he is ELITE - but I haven't seen one other player who has been connected with us who I would trade a handful of beans for. I would RECRUIT May, but not for pick 7. No. Thank. You. He will be a FA in 12-months...get him then for nothing and keep the valuable first. If we need to give up pick 7 for May, then why the hell did we use a top 10 pick just 12-months ago on another key defender.

This period isn't a 'race for arms'...it is supposed to be a measured attempt to bring players who our footy dept have been targeting for 12-months (or more), not a 'hey, this guy is available, whaddayareckon' type back and forth.

But my position has been no to Menzel & Duryea. Lloyd only if he’s pick 80+ as depth. No on a range of most players actually, the vast majority in fact. Like you I was pro-Wingard and I’m a fan of May and see his value differently. This seeing Mays value doesn’t infer I’m in a militia on a ‘race for arms’, nor you overly trade frugal. You mention targeting players and acquiring them. By my count we’ve tried seriously to trade in May three times over many years. So he’d fit your litmus rest. I also think if a club like Adelaide badly want 7, I’d listen to a pick swap if we can land very good players. Again, it’s not an arms race, it’s thinking about if Adelaide can we guarantee s better outcome than holding it. If we can, yes. If not, we take 7 to the draft. Have other clubs got stronger this period? Yes. Have we so far, no. That doesn’t equate to bringing in list cloggers to get on the board. So I’m on the record as wanting May, someone who our footy department has targeted for years and not any other what do you reckon types. To be honest, I’m not sure what your last paragraph is in about. I get your frustrated at something, but I have no idea how I’m fitting into your broader point to release said frustration.

GVGjr
15-10-2018, 12:57 PM

I think the approach of getting players with plenty of upside like we did with Schache last year suits us best. We have trouble landing the truly elite talent players unless we pay overs both in trade and financial value so unless the player has significant upside like Schache or fills a specific role or two like Trengove offered or has the talent of a Crozier (I'm not sure everyone sees it though) then I'd rather we take our chances at the draft.

May addresses a specific need since we are very likely to lose Adams but pick 7 seems 'overs' to me by a fair way. If it can be done for next years first rounder then that sounds fair but might not end up that way. Duryea and Lloyd are small forward types which after the success of Gowers and seeing a brief but promising signs from Greene and Lynch doesn't seem a genuine need for us on top of having both Picken and Dickson.
Losing Roughead and most likely Campbell should have us focusing on finding a part time ruck man to support English, Trengove and Boyd more than topping up with handy but not essential types in positions we already have some depth in.

1eyedog
15-10-2018, 01:24 PM

And risk missing out on him next year? If we feel we need him we need to get it done now, it's just the way it is for us. We'll be competing with everyone for him next year and it will be a big club that gets him, it's always the way. We got Boyd much the same way. The stars aligned with him when Griffin handed in his resignation. He would have been at Carlton otherwise, the rest is history. I'm a big May fan but I'm not sure we should give pick 7 up for him. If the club feels otherwise it has to be now though, the market knows his worth and GC will be compensated well inside the top 10 next year for him. If we want him it's pick 7. They'll wait and probably do even better than that next year as a FA.

mjp
15-10-2018, 01:38 PM
I get your frustrated at something, but I have no idea how I’m fitting into your broader point to release said frustration.

Umm...you're not really...I just grabbed onto the 'trades are judged by...' comment and ran with it as I thought it was representative of the thread and gave my thoughts some context. I (now) know it was your post I quoted but again, that was because the comment about judging the trade period NOW suited my purpose...certainly wasn't trying to make a wider point about the rest of your comments! Further, with the stuff on May you refer to above, I simply wasn't aware we had been chasing May for some time - as such it just felt to me we were jumping in late in an attempt to win a race we weren't even sure we wanted to be in...

Now, all of THAT said, when you say above "Have other clubs got stronger this period? Yes. Have we so far, no" - that is the sort of commentary I simply don't understand. Which clubs have gotten stronger? We 100% don't know..."people" are "saying" Essendon are stronger with Shiel (and yes, I know it hasn't gone through yet)? Well...are they? How do we know? Something that on the surface seems like a positive addition may not turn out to be so...all we know for sure is that they are getting closer to a situation where retaining Zac Merrett is going to be hard (due to salary constraints) and there is going to be fewer midfield opportunities for the draftees they have picked the last couple of years. We have zero idea whether or not Shiel can be a #1 mid because he was FAR (far) from that at the Giants.

Yes - adding talent is important but creating fractures in the playing group through either adding players who no-one wants or exiting players everyone loves is just bad, bad, bad.

My frustration is that we are not playing fantasy football. You can't simply expect to improve by adding more "+" talent to your list. This isn't a 100m freestyle relay where the 4x fastest swimmers = the best team. There needs to be a little bit more consideration given to dynamics in all of this is all I am saying. Adding another + mid to Geelong sure as hell didn't help them. Adding Rockliff, Watts and Motlop didn't help Port and on and on and on it goes. Yet our trade period last year was widely ridiculed and I would say that Crozier, Schache and Trengove have all shown good value...I for one wasn't super keen on Schache but there ya go!

I guess all I am saying is judging who 'wins' and who has improved their list is just a BS exercise and too often the teams that 'improve' the most at this time of year quickly find themselves sinking down the ladder when the footballs come out.

westbulldog
15-10-2018, 01:47 PM
I wonder why we are looking at Lloyd, Duryea and Menzel when we already have Greene, Lynch, Lipinski supported by Picken and Dickson. Yes go after May if the deal is right.

hujsh
15-10-2018, 01:53 PM
I wonder why we are looking at Lloyd, Duryea and Menzel when we already have Greene (Still green/raw), Lynch (1 or 2 games does not a forward make), Lipinski (increased midfield time) supported by Picken (unknown how he recovers) and Dickson (usually gets injured the game after finding form). Yes go after May if the deal is right.

All the above question marks are the answer as to why we'd look at Lloyd or Menzel. Less sure on Duryea but does add foot skills, experience, lock down on small forwards and maybe solid tackling (based on his 100 games highlights reel)

Basically we have 2 very raw players who may or may not be up to playing significant time forward next year on merit, one who looks good in the midfield and has talents/attributes that compliment that move and 2 very uncertain players as far as fitness is concerned.

1eyedog
15-10-2018, 02:25 PM
Duryea is not a lockdown on small forwards player. I have absolutely no idea what Bevo has in mind for him but I'd be shitting myself if he went to the opposition's small forward each week.

bulldogtragic
15-10-2018, 02:41 PM
Umm...you're not really...I just grabbed onto the 'trades are judged by...' comment and ran with it as I thought it was representative of the thread and gave my thoughts some context. I (now) know it was your post I quoted but again, that was because the comment about judging the trade period NOW suited my purpose...certainly wasn't trying to make a wider point about the rest of your comments! Further, with the stuff on May you refer to above, I simply wasn't aware we had been chasing May for some time - as such it just felt to me we were jumping in late in an attempt to win a race we weren't even sure we wanted to be in...

Now, all of THAT said, when you say above "Have other clubs got stronger this period? Yes. Have we so far, no" - that is the sort of commentary I simply don't understand. Which clubs have gotten stronger? We 100% don't know..."people" are "saying" Essendon are stronger with Shiel (and yes, I know it hasn't gone through yet)? Well...are they? How do we know? Something that on the surface seems like a positive addition may not turn out to be so...all we know for sure is that they are getting closer to a situation where retaining Zac Merrett is going to be hard (due to salary constraints) and there is going to be fewer midfield opportunities for the draftees they have picked the last couple of years. We have zero idea whether or not Shiel can be a #1 mid because he was FAR (far) from that at the Giants.

Yes - adding talent is important but creating fractures in the playing group through either adding players who no-one wants or exiting players everyone loves is just bad, bad, bad.

My frustration is that we are not playing fantasy football. You can't simply expect to improve by adding more "+" talent to your list. This isn't a 100m freestyle relay where the 4x fastest swimmers = the best team. There needs to be a little bit more consideration given to dynamics in all of this is all I am saying. Adding another + mid to Geelong sure as hell didn't help them. Adding Rockliff, Watts and Motlop didn't help Port and on and on and on it goes. Yet our trade period last year was widely ridiculed and I would say that Crozier, Schache and Trengove have all shown good value...I for one wasn't super keen on Schache but there ya go!

I guess all I am saying is judging who 'wins' and who has improved their list is just a BS exercise and too often the teams that 'improve' the most at this time of year quickly find themselves sinking down the ladder when the footballs come out.

I think we actually agree to some extent. Your broader point is valid. It's that old chest nut quote from Woody Harrelson's girlfriend in White Men Can't Jump... Sometimes when you lose you really win, and sometimes when you win you really lose.

I think you can win at trade week in a sense if you don't go chasing and signing poor fringe players or overrated, and lose by doing so even though the pundits think otherwise. The appearance and reality are different. I'd love Shiel or Wingard. Or May. But if we don't get one, I agree, hold firm like hell unless an Adealide makes too good a pick trade to refuse. If nothing of value above what our recruiters say the likely kid is at pick 7 I'd rather not trade it (our other picks seem spoken for), consolidate the draft spots and prune the list well. That's not a 'big flashy Wingard/Scully/Scrimshaw looking win', but it's 'an understated looking win' in the circumstances for not re-clogging the list after we have cut it hard.

But that all said, it looks to me to be still a few different avenues to us to add talent or improve our draft hand. I'd have all the interest there, and if we take multiple fringe players to replace multiple delisted fringe players I will be very disappointed. Perhaps win is the wrong word as it infers competition. So far as our club is concerned, it like to see its talent profile improve with good trade (if good ones exist) or with the picks we have, know it's going to increase in talent. A feeling that from the end of round 23 to the end of the trade, to the end of the draft, that the list is better. I have the feeling it is already with 7/player, West, Khamis, Lloyd (he's coming so I best back him), Gowers & Lynch. Can we add more, let's see over the next 55 hours.

bulldogsthru&thru
15-10-2018, 03:06 PM
Lloyd is a bulldog. Trade details to come through soon

bornadog
15-10-2018, 03:23 PM
Trade for needs not for stars that may not needed

EasternWest
15-10-2018, 03:24 PM
Trade for needs not for stars

But stars also would be nice :)

hujsh
15-10-2018, 03:26 PM
What about needy stars?

bulldogtragic
15-10-2018, 03:36 PM
What about needy stars?

The best kind.

LostDog
15-10-2018, 05:04 PM
Are we out of the May race?

GVGjr
15-10-2018, 05:07 PM
Are we out of the May race?

I'm not sure but I think pick 7 might be.

LostDog
15-10-2018, 05:11 PM
Someone was saying Jake Niall from the age was reporting it's either Melbourne or staying at GC

GVGjr
15-10-2018, 05:20 PM
Someone was saying Jake Niall from the age was reporting it's either Melbourne or staying at GC

OK, that probably puts a line through him heading to the Kennel

LostDog
15-10-2018, 05:36 PM
Sorry it was a BF poster stating that, wasn't clear

I haven't seen anything posted anywhere from jake conforming this

1eyedog
15-10-2018, 06:32 PM
One trade done today is the period too long? Seems with all the wheeling and dealing months out these guys need a rocket and told they have 3 days to sign. I get the AFEL are all about viewer hits etc. but there is a real risk of punters dying of boredom. A 3 day mercenary fest would make it far more interesting.

GVGjr
15-10-2018, 06:33 PM
So other than Duryea and perhaps a long shot with May is that about the only other trade options available to us?

Assuming you have to conduct a medical it could rule out some players.

hujsh
15-10-2018, 06:34 PM
So other than Duryea and perhaps a long shot with May is that about the only other trade options available to us?

Menzel perhaps. Long a long shot

GVGjr
15-10-2018, 06:38 PM
Menzel perhaps. Long a long shot

I forgot about Long and speculation is that Menzel might have a suitor or two

DOG GOD
15-10-2018, 06:38 PM
Wow very uninspiring. Sounds like the experience Bevo was talking about was no other than Lloyd, duryea and Menzel.

chef
15-10-2018, 06:40 PM
When does it end?

DOG GOD
15-10-2018, 06:47 PM
When does it end?

Wednesday 830pm I think.

Axe Man
15-10-2018, 06:48 PM
When does it end?

Seemingly never, but 8:30pm Wednesday officially.

whythelongface
15-10-2018, 06:50 PM
When does it end?

Not soon enough.

Sedat
15-10-2018, 06:52 PM

Kade Kolo is a (very) long shot as well. The Melbourne/Freo impasse is affecting other trades (like Kolo to Melbourne) from getting done.

GVGjr
15-10-2018, 07:01 PM
Kade Kolo is a (very) long shot as well. The Melbourne/Freo impasse is affecting other trades (like Kolo to Melbourne) from getting done.

I'd be open to that move. Imagine having Boyd, Bontempelli and Kade Kolodjashnij from the same draft
Wishful thinking I suspect

bulldogtragic
15-10-2018, 07:02 PM
I'd be open to that move. Imagine having Boyd, Bontempelli and Kade Kolodjashnij from the same draft
Wishful thinking I suspect

If I'm going to imagine it, I'd want Josh Kelly in there too. Billings if we need to have the top 5.

bulldogsman
15-10-2018, 07:04 PM
From Ricky Nixon

Doggies looming as the Winx of the Trade Period looming on the outside as we swing for home

They secure May which they MAY then they hands down win the Trade Brownlow

bulldogtragic
15-10-2018, 07:07 PM
From Ricky Nixon

Doggies looming as the Winx of the Trade Period looming on the outside as we swing for home

They secure May which they MAY then they hands down win the Trade Brownlow

The same one that said two days ago that we offered pick 7 for Scully?

Then it comes out he rejected us in 5 seconds flat, and Hawks get him for pick 53. That Ricky Nixon?

(Not having a pot. Just he seems to saying so many stupid things, especially with us this off season)

bulldogsman
15-10-2018, 07:18 PM
The same one that said two days ago that we offered pick 7 for Scully?

Then it comes out he rejected us in 5 seconds flat, and Hawks get him for pick 53. That Ricky Nixon?

(Not having a pot. Just he seems to saying so many stupid things, especially with us this off season)

Sam Power pretty much ruled it out on trade radio just now lol

Power on Wingard "We had interest in Chad and it's disappointing he didn't choose us... We weren't going to throw pick 7 at someone else so we're comfortable with where we are now."

Power on Marcus Adams "It's not one I really want to get into, he wants a fresh start and he's nominated Brisbane. He's got two years to go in his contract and he's a valued member of the team. It would have to be a compelling offer from Brisbane."

Power on Taylor Duryea "He's a player we have interest in and we'll work with Hawthorn over the next couple of days to bring him in."

Power on Tom Liberatore "He definitely won't be traded... We won't be trading him and he's indicated that he wants to stay at the Bulldogs."

Power on Jordan Roughead "Roughy told us he wanted to explore his options. He met with West Coast and that didn't eventuate but Collingwood have interest and we'll help work towards a trade there."

bulldogtragic
15-10-2018, 07:22 PM
So ins: Duryea & Lloyd
So outs: Dahl, Roughy, Adams (?)

Why do we need another HBF? One that isn't best 22, or maybe best 28.

The Bulldogs Bite
15-10-2018, 08:04 PM

It’s contrary to what Bevo said post the Richmond game about us looking ‘very’ different in round 1 and adding experience to the list. We have essentially got younger particularly if we trade both Roughy and Adams out and all of a sudden our KPD stocks look lightish and our ruck stocks virtually non existent.

Keeping the Dahl compo pick is not appealing either given it’ll go straight to West.

bulldogtragic
15-10-2018, 08:10 PM
It’s contrary to what Bevo said post the Richmond game about us looking ‘very’ different in round 1 and adding experience to the list. We have essentially got younger particularly if we trade both Roughy and Adams out and all of a sudden our KPD stocks look lightish and our ruck stocks virtually non existent.

Keeping the Dahl compo pick is not appealing either given it’ll go straight to West.

I don't understand why we'd hold it, even moreso if Adams goes. Maybe it is 27 for Duryea? :D

kruder
15-10-2018, 08:11 PM
I don't understand why we'd hold it, even moreso if Adams goes. Maybe it is 27 for Duryea? :D

We only get a 20% discount on West I would have though we would need to hold it without going into deficit?

kruder
15-10-2018, 08:24 PM
I might be the only one but loving Nixon tweets lol Always take it with a grain of salt but nothing wrong with a bit of hope!

DOG GOD
15-10-2018, 08:24 PM

As soon as I heard lloyd was linked to us I thought out trading format would be shit this year...I’m pretty much lost for words, but not surprised at all.

S Coast Simon
15-10-2018, 08:46 PM
I am happy to take 7 to the draft. They a going to be pretty good at the range and we also get West who is a top 15 talent. Will prob slip a little because we are going to take him but if he wasn’t heading our way would probably go around 12 so we win here for sure. To get a 7 and 12 ish talent in one draft is brilliant. Will be interesting to see who is available at 7 I would like to get Rozee but I think he will be at port. We need GC to take the King boys.

bulldogtragic
15-10-2018, 08:47 PM
We only get a 20% discount on West I would have though we would need to hold it without going into deficit?

Sorry, my bad I was speaking short hand. I'd be looking to use it in a myriad of ways, at minimum a net increased points trade if we can work one out. If we get that from Adams, then 27 on a player would be the next idea.

soupman
15-10-2018, 10:21 PM
One trade done today is the period too long? Seems with all the wheeling and dealing months out these guys need a rocket and told they have 3 days to sign. I get the AFEL are all about viewer hits etc. but there is a real risk of punters dying of boredom. A 3 day mercenary fest would make it far more interesting.
I dislike this part of trade week. People always want it to be as exciting as possible so want to make it as short and jam packed as possible but that isn't fair on the players.

Think of Ryan Burton as a typical example:
-At the start of trade week he heads off overseas excited for another year at Hawthorn with all his mates and a support structure he is confident in.
-Then out of nowhere he is told that he has two days to decide if he will accept the clubs decision to send him to Port
-So from Vegas he has to make a decision that basically sets up his entire career.
Things he has to consider:
-He might be studying at uni or doing a trade course, all based in Melbourne
-He may have just bought a house in Melbourne
-He might have a partner who has invested in the house with him, or is a local, or is just starting their career here, or is studying here also
-His family might have moved across to Melbourne from Adelaide to be closer to him

So this 21/22?? year old has to take all this into consideration, with both clubs putting time pressure on him already, and with his most trusted advisors (family/friends) hard to contact, while he feels like his mentors (coach etc.) are abandoning him.

Condensing the trade period would force clubs to negotiate quicker, and get it over and done with quicker, but it screws over the people the trades affect most. It doesn't matter so much for guys like Wingard who get to initiate the move but other players like Burton get little enough time as it is. The American system is different where the players don't even get a say but I'm not sure that's the way it should be.

Trade week shouldn't be about entertainment, it should be about helping clubs and players facilitate ways to better eachothers careers. It just so happens that's entertaining.

westbulldog
15-10-2018, 10:29 PM
All the above question marks are the answer as to why we'd look at Lloyd or Menzel. Less sure on Duryea but does add foot skills, experience, lock down on small forwards and maybe solid tackling (based on his 100 games highlights reel)

Basically we have 2 very raw players who may or may not be up to playing significant time forward next year on merit, one who looks good in the midfield and has talents/attributes that compliment that move and 2 very uncertain players as far as fitness is concerned.

I take your point but I favour playing and/or recruiting younger talent rather than recycled players. We have kept Picko and Dickson so we must have some confidence in them getting up. Our quality mids also rotate forward.

Eastdog
15-10-2018, 11:04 PM
I take your point but I favour playing and/or recruiting younger talent rather than recycled players. We have kept Picko and Dickson so we must have some confidence in them getting up. Our quality mids also rotate forward.

Both are important. On the recycled players you just have to make sure that you get the right ones that will be good for a young group and add the experience.

Dancin' Douggy
16-10-2018, 02:22 AM
I dislike this part of trade week. People always want it to be as exciting as possible so want to make it as short and jam packed as possible but that isn't fair on the players.

-At the start of trade week he heads off overseas excited for another year at Hawthorn with all his mates and a support structure he is confident in.
-Then out of nowhere he is told that he has two days to decide if he will accept the clubs decision to send him to Port
-So from Vegas he has to make a decision that basically sets up his entire career.
-He might have a partner who has invested in the house with him, or is a local, or is just starting their career here, or is studying here also
-His family might have moved across to Melbourne from Adelaide to be closer to him

So this 21/22?? year old has to take all this into consideration, with both clubs putting time pressure on him already, and with his most trusted advisors (family/friends) hard to contact, while he feels like his mentors (coach etc.) are abandoning him.

Condensing the trade period would force clubs to negotiate quicker, and get it over and done with quicker, but it screws over the people the trades affect most. It doesn't matter so much for guys like Wingard who get to initiate the move but other players like Burton get little enough time as it is. The American system is different where the players don't even get a say but I'm not sure that's the way it should be.

Trade week shouldn't be about entertainment, it should be about helping clubs and players facilitate ways to better eachothers careers. It just so happens that's entertaining.

Yes I think it would be awful to be put in that situation. I think the whole system is flawed in many many ways

AshMac
16-10-2018, 09:22 AM
I am happy to take 7 to the draft. They a going to be pretty good at the range and we also get West who is a top 15 talent. Will prob slip a little because we are going to take him but if he wasn’t heading our way would probably go around 12 so we win here for sure. To get a 7 and 12 ish talent in one draft is brilliant. Will be interesting to see who is available at 7 I would like to get Rozee but I think he will be at port. We need GC to take the King boys.

Hadn’t thought of that actually - I’d have locked GC in for Lukosius and Rankine (I’ve been keen on a Rankine since I first heard of him) but potentially taking both king boys could have a real multiplier effect. Less likely to get home sick if together and have played footy together thier entire lives which surely gives them a slight edge on the same team. Suns obviously the only ones who can do it. If they do take the kings, then saints will take lukosius and lions Rankine IMO so still think you’re correct about port and Rozzee which MIGHT leave Bailey Smith available at 7, though don’t think another inside mid is what’s needed.

1eyedog
16-10-2018, 09:41 AM

He can console himself with the 300k he'll make next year. Players have too much power in trade week. They get to shop themselves around why can't clubs? Rent your house out in Melbourne and find a rental in Adelaide, go off campus with your course or defer or take the credits to an Adelaide based uni. There are options, he's an employee. He can say no and hold up the process and be at the club that wanted to trade him or he can harden up, get on with the new phase of his life and start a new position interstate. He's young enough to do so and will be duly compensated. A footy career is short, be thankful you have one and cash in while you can.

GVGjr
16-10-2018, 10:41 AM
Sam Power was on RSN earlier today

Here are some of his comments

THE Western Bulldogs aren’t in the market for a ruckman during the AFL trade period, according to their general manager of list and recruiting Sam Power.

With premiership ruckman Jordan Roughead likely to move to Collingwood, Power says youngster Tim English is ready to take the next step.

“We’ve got really high hopes for Tim English. Tim’s only just completed his second season, so we have to be a bit patient with him,” Power said on RSN927’s The Breakfast Club on Tuesday.

“We think Tim will be a top-line ruckman in the future. We’ve got confidence that he’ll take his game to a new level next year.

“Jackson Trengove can play in the ruck but also play as a key back, and Tom Boyd’s demonstrated at different times that he can impact in the ruck. And we’ve got Tom Campbell on the list as well.”

The Bulldogs on Monday signed fringe Richmond player Sam Lloyd, sending pick 64 to the Tigers in return.

“It’s good to have Sam Lloyd on board; he’ll play a really important role for us, both up forward and also in the midfield,” Power said.

“For us, it’s definitely a need, our forward half of the ground. We’ve had a little bit of change in the last few years with Jake Stringer going out and Stewart Crameri as well, and then some of our more ageing players in Tory Dickson and Liam Picken up there have had injury-interrupted years in 2018. It was an area of the ground that we identified we needed to bring someone in.”

Power said midfielder Tom Liberatore will remain a Dog, while the club is standing their ground regarding defender Marcus Adams.

chef
16-10-2018, 10:43 AM
TC stays?

hujsh
16-10-2018, 10:55 AM
First indication we have any intention of keeping Tom. Interesting.

GVGjr
16-10-2018, 10:58 AM
So it looks like Campbell could still be at the club next year. He will be more or less insurance when English needs to be rested.

I'd like us to draft a forward/ruck man this year

bulldogtragic
16-10-2018, 11:04 AM
Why would TC stay to be number 4 ruckman? I can't imagine he loves knowing his career is barely on life support if he stays.

bulldogsthru&thru
16-10-2018, 11:11 AM
Why would TC stay to be number 4 ruckman? I can't imagine he loves knowing his career is barely on life support if he stays.

Perhaps there are no other options out there for him

bornadog
16-10-2018, 11:11 AM

The alternative for him is to purely play VFL or below. From his point of view he gets paid as an AFL player, and with injuries you never know he may get a game.

bulldogtragic
16-10-2018, 11:15 AM
Perhaps there are no other options out there for him

The alternative for him is to purely play VFL or below. From his point of view he gets paid as an AFL player, and with injuries you never know he may get a game.

Yep. There's probably no love out there. He will be playing VFL I agree. I can't see him getting more than the minimum wage. Bevo won't select him even if there was a gun to his head. He's shown he'd rather Bonts, Dunk's & Jong ruck with Boyd than play Campbell irrespective of VFL form. I mean I'd stay if I was him, despite knowing my career is effectively dead. Why the club would tie up a list spot knowing Bevo won't play him, that's really odd.

Rocket Science
16-10-2018, 11:22 AM
It may as well read; “Jackson Trengove can play in the ruck but also play as a key back, and Tom Boyd’s demonstrated at different times that he can impact in the ruck. And we’ve still got Tom Campbell locked in a cage in a dungeon as well.”

I bet we wish English had a fast-forward button.

EasternWest
16-10-2018, 11:28 AM
Sam Power was on RSN earlier today

“Jackson Trengove can play in the ruck but also play as a key back, and Tom Boyd’s demonstrated at different times that he can impact in the ruck. And we’ve got Tom Campbell on the list as well.”

I'm not sure if it's possible for Sam to deliver a more blunt backhander.

The Bulldogs Bite
16-10-2018, 12:03 PM
We can't trade both Roughead and Adams without getting a key defender or ruck back into the lineup. Trengove is 'handy' but he can't play two positions at once and we simply cannot rely on English and Naughton to hold down such key positions all year long.

I also don't want to see Boyd rucking but we clearly have NFI when it comes to developing forwards in their preferred position.

GVGjr
16-10-2018, 12:21 PM
We can't trade both Roughead and Adams without getting a key defender or ruck back into the lineup. Trengove is 'handy' but he can't play two positions at once and we simply cannot rely on English and Naughton to hold down such key positions all year long.

I also don't want to see Boyd rucking but we clearly have NFI when it comes to developing forwards in their preferred position.

We are running light on which is risky and it's a fair old ask to expect English to hold down the #1 ruck position given he is still developing physically let alone still learning his craft.

We ran the gauntlet at the end of 2016 with reduced ruck options and that didn't work out well for us. Given our investment in English I think we need to support him a bit more by having someone else to share the burden but that doesn't look likely.

It's English, Trengove, Boyd and Campbell and probably in that order.

hujsh
16-10-2018, 12:24 PM
How can we make noise on Boyd becoming a key forward if we consider him a key part of our ruck stocks?

westbulldog
16-10-2018, 12:27 PM

Good call, couldn't agree more. The club is being a bit harsh on Campbell imo, has he ever got a decent run of games ?

GVGjr
16-10-2018, 12:29 PM
How can we make noise on Boyd becoming a key forward if we consider him a key part of our ruck stocks?

We can't really. I think many have already accepted that he is the #2 ruck man who just happens to play forward about 60% of the game.

Axe Man
16-10-2018, 12:35 PM
Good call, couldn't agree more. The club is being a bit harsh on Campbell imo, has he ever got a decent run of games ?

Played 9 games in a row in 2016 (the most he's played in a season as well). He's played 42 games, it's not like he hasn't had chances to prove himself. He's just not that good, he's solid and serviceable but that's about it.

Happy to keep him as the alternative is getting a state league ruckman that is unlikely to be any better than Campbell.

bulldogtragic
16-10-2018, 12:36 PM

Easy. Bevo said one, Power said the other. Apparently the head coach and the head of list management who gets players for him have fundamentally different views on needs and existing players. That bodes well for the future....

The Bulldogs Bite
16-10-2018, 12:37 PM
We can't really. I think many have already accepted that he is the #2 ruck man who just happens to play forward about 60% of the game.

Which is genuinely ridiculous given he was the highest rated junior KPF of his time and our ongoing need for a good key forward.

I could understand it in 2016 to assist with development, building his tank/physicality .... but if we are still rucking him significant minutes in 2019 that is borderline insanity.

ledge
16-10-2018, 12:39 PM
Easy. Bevo said one, Power said the other. Apparently the head coach and the head of list management who gets players for him have fundamentally different views on needs and existing players. That bodes well for the future....

It’s all a ruse to confuse the opposition.

Rocket Science
16-10-2018, 12:51 PM
On balance, it's difficult to glean what Boyd offers in the ruck that Campbell couldn't.

That's not a call to arms for a Campbell renaissance, but a look of the practical value of persisting with Boyd as a regular ruck option when his output barely shades a bloke who's now professionally marooned.

It continues to feel like he's killing time while English grows up, in a position he's yet to capably grasp, with a persistent crook back from all accounts, while surrendering the opportunity to craft skills in the position we presumably recruited him for and have said we expect him to play from the age of 25 onwards.

What other teams develop their key forward by hurling them into the meat grinder of ruck duels? ... AND we're about to extend the same privilege to a gangly nine-gamer.

This isn't a new dilemma, but our ruck strategy and the negative domino effect from it does my bloody head in.

ledge
16-10-2018, 12:58 PM
On balance, it's difficult to glean what Boyd offers in the ruck that Campbell couldn't.

That's not a call to arms for a Campbell renaissance, but a look of the practical value of persisting with Boyd as a regular ruck option when his output barely shades a bloke who's now professionally marooned.

It continues to feel like he's killing time while English grows up, in a position he's yet to capably grasp, with a persistent crook back from all accounts, while surrendering the opportunity to craft skills in the position we presumably recruited him for and have said we expect him to play from the age of 25 onwards.

What other teams develop their key forward by hurling them into the meat grinder of ruck duels? ... AND we're about to extend the same privilege to a gangly nine-gamer.

This isn't a new dilemma, but our ruck strategy and the negative domino effect from it does my bloody head in.

Essendon did it with Salmon years ago , he would have been close to the best fullforward in history IMO but they threw him in the ruck and he became a great ruck to the point the hawks took him as a ruckman.

Rocket Science
16-10-2018, 02:10 PM
Essendon did it with Salmon years ago , he would have been close to the best fullforward in history IMO but they threw him in the ruck and he became a great ruck to the point the hawks took him as a ruckman.

Aye, although Salmon being drafted into the ruck neatly coincided with the Bombres suddenly having to find a spot for a bloke named Lloyd, Sheeds didn't just decide to get creative.

If Boyd had a fraction of Salmon's marking ability I could barely care less where we played him.

The Pedge
16-10-2018, 02:59 PM
I'm happy with Boyd spending time in the ruck. He's got decent agility and it's helping his tank build. In reality (and I think it's sometimes forgotten), a guy of Boyd's size/body makeup won't start to come into his own until 23-25 years of age. We've still got time until he gets that man-strength needed to dominate up forward. A little more patience and I think he'll get there!

hujsh
16-10-2018, 03:32 PM
I'm happy with Boyd spending time in the ruck. He's got decent agility and it's helping his tank build. In reality (and I think it's sometimes forgotten), a guy of Boyd's size/body makeup won't start to come into his own until 23-25 years of age. We've still got time until he gets that man-strength needed to dominate up forward. A little more patience and I think he'll get there!
Pretty sure he's 23 now. If not he should be next year.

The Pedge
16-10-2018, 04:23 PM
Pretty sure he's 23 now. If not he should be next year.
Which is kind of my point - added to that mental health battles and premiership hangover. I think he's going alright.

Bullies
16-10-2018, 05:22 PM
I'm happy with Boyd spending time in the ruck. He's got decent agility and it's helping his tank build. In reality (and I think it's sometimes forgotten), a guy of Boyd's size/body makeup won't start to come into his own until 23-25 years of age. We've still got time until he gets that man-strength needed to dominate up forward. A little more patience and I think he'll get there! Agree with this. I think people forget how young Boyd is and when the big fellas actually mature. Good thinker and excellent agility as you say. Has had a couple of issues which surely can't have helped his game. Would love to see him tear it apart like the GF. I am sure he will.

bulldogtragic
16-10-2018, 10:25 PM
Afel.com.au confirming my suspicions Roughy to go for a 6 Pick upgrade (63 into 57). So Duryea is worth a 4th rounder, Roughy a 4th round downgrade.

And:

The future of Marcus Adams is not directly tied into the Neale deal but the Western Bulldogs defender's bid to get to Brisbane could come unstuck if the Lions' negotiations on Neale and/or Beams go down to the wire.

The Bulldogs are still insisting on a pick in the 20s for Adams, who is contracted for another two years, while the Lions' second pick in the draft does not fall until No.32.

bulldogtragic
16-10-2018, 10:28 PM
A pick in the 20’s with no one to trade it on might just get sucked up in West/Khamis. Might be curly what happens.

GVGjr
17-10-2018, 02:54 AM
Afel.com.au confirming my suspicions Roughy to go for a 6 Pick upgrade (63 into 57). So Duryea is worth a 4th rounder, Roughy a 4th round downgrade.

And:

The future of Marcus Adams is not directly tied into the Neale deal but the Western Bulldogs defender's bid to get to Brisbane could come unstuck if the Lions' negotiations on Neale and/or Beams go down to the wire.

The Bulldogs are still insisting on a pick in the 20s for Adams, who is contracted for another two years, while the Lions' second pick in the draft does not fall until No.32.

I wonder if this works for an Adams deal

We trade Roughead and our pick 63 to the Pies for their pick 51. That values Roughead at about pick 60 which is what a lot of players being traded this year are worth.

We then trade Adams and pick 51 to Brisbane for their pick 32 and 41.

Picks 32 and 41 are valued at 996 points minus the pick 51 which is valued at 259 points equates to 737 points and values Adams at about pick 26. That should be close to our valuation

We have pick 27 to cover West, pick 32 for a player and picks 41 and 45 from a points perspective to cover a bid for Khamis.
On the outside chance some bids for Khamis and we have to use pick 32 it still gives us pick 41 and 45 for a couple of players.

Does this work for the loss of Adams and Roughead?

GVGjr
17-10-2018, 09:22 AM
So we have completed two trades so far in Sam Lloyd and Taylor Duryea. Neither player cost us a lot and they will add a bit of age and experience to a youngish list.
The consensus is that we are now out of the running for Steven May but it appears we will probably trade Marcus Adams and of course complete the Jordan Roughead deal. There is some speculation that Roughead might have another suitor in the Crows

So based on all that, do you think we will acquire another player in a deal today or will just be swapping of draft picks to get some deals for Adams and Roughead completed?

bulldogsthru&thru
17-10-2018, 09:42 AM
So we have completed two trades so far in Sam Lloyd and Taylor Duryea. Neither player cost us a lot and they will add a bit of age and experience to a youngish list.
The consensus is that we are now out of the running for Steven May but it appears we will probably trade Marcus Adams and of course complete the Jordan Roughead deal. There is some speculation that Roughead might have another suitor in the Crows

So based on all that, do you think we will acquire another player in a deal today or will just be swapping of draft picks to get some deals for Adams and Roughead completed?

I feel we really need to make a trade with the Dahl compo pick. Otherwise it will get eaten up by a bid on West. If we can flip 27 into an established player and get two picks in the 40's for Adams i'd be pretty happy. Who we can target with 27 i haven't a clue. But luckily i'm not list manager. We have BT for that.

bulldogtragic
17-10-2018, 10:12 AM
I wonder if this works for an Adams deal

We trade Roughead and our pick 63 to the Pies for their pick 51. That values Roughead at about pick 60 which is what a lot of players being traded this year are worth.

We then trade Adams and pick 51 to Brisbane for their pick 32 and 41.

Picks 32 and 41 are valued at 996 points minus the pick 51 which is valued at 259 points equates to 737 points and values Adams at about pick 26. That should be close to our valuation

We have pick 27 to cover West, pick 32 for a player and picks 41 and 45 from a points perspective to cover a bid for Khamis.
On the outside chance some bids for Khamis and we have to use pick 32 it still gives us pick 41 and 45 for a couple of players.

Does this work for the loss of Adams and Roughead?

Perhaps. But the reporting seems to be pick 57 for Roughy, and Power is demanding a 20's pick so we would need to cave on our demand. 7, 27, 32, 41, 45 & 63 is a strong hand.

Almost every team with a FS or academy player makes a draft points trade to take advantage of the system. It's interesting we haven't tried to do something with 27. For example, Brisbane's 41, 44 & 55 (giving 57 back) is 180 points better than holding pick 27. That helps them on a range of trades, we walk out ahead. Say Adams as straight swap for 32 if we cave.

32, 41, 44, 45, 55 - 2,112 points - that looks like the hand of a team with draft point selections. Much like Sydney's looks this year.

Testekill
17-10-2018, 04:05 PM
It'll shit me to tears if we decide to retain Honeychurch and then miss out on Cavarra because we wanted him as a rookie and Freo take him the pick before us. I appreciate the endeavour that Honeychurch brings and he gives it his all but he kills us as a forward and his skills are just not up to par as a midfielder.

The Doctor
17-10-2018, 04:11 PM
MASSIVE TRADING COUP just in

Pat Vezpremi has been signed by Port Melbourne

Axe Man
17-10-2018, 04:25 PM
MASSIVE TRADING COUP just in

Pat Vezpremi has been signed by Port Melbourne

You might be interested to know the Bulldogs* are rumoured to have signed Cam Pederson!

*The Phillip Island Bulldogs

GVGjr
17-10-2018, 04:26 PM
You might be interested to know the Bulldogs* are rumoured to have signed Cam Pederson!

*The Phillip Island Bulldogs

Good one, you nearly had me there :)

bulldogtragic
17-10-2018, 05:40 PM
Trade radio indicating Adams & Roughy likely to happen tonight.

If they're both trading on Beams, I wonder if we can wedge ourselves in the middle for something a little bit better over all.

GVGjr
17-10-2018, 05:58 PM
Trade radio indicating Adams & Roughy likely to happen tonight.

If they're both trading on Beams, I wonder if we can wedge ourselves in the middle for something a little bit better over all.

Any suggestions there BT?

The Doctor
17-10-2018, 06:31 PM
in 2015, just 3 year ago, this was in order Gold Coast Suns top 10 best and fairest. 8 of them have now left, 1 has moved to the rookie list, only 1 has survived on the main list

Tom Lynch
Kade Kolodjashnij
Steven May
Touk Miller
Michael Rischitelli
Charlie Dixon
Aaron Hall
Adam Saad
Gary Ablett
Brandon Matera

Imagine if 8 of our top ten from this year left in next 3 years

Lachie Hunter
Jack Macrae
Marcus Bontempelli
Aaron Naughton
Josh Dunkley
Caleb Daniel
Jason Johannisen
Hayden Crozier
Toby McLean
Bailey Williams

bulldogtragic
17-10-2018, 06:32 PM
Any suggestions there BT?

Roughy maybe swap for 57.

Adams was just believed to get done. No specifics from them.

DOG GOD
17-10-2018, 06:59 PM
in 2015, just 3 year ago, this was in order Gold Coast Suns top 10 best and fairest. 8 of them have now left, 1 has moved to the rookie list, only 1 has survived on the main list

Tom Lynch
Kade Kolodjashnij
Steven May
Touk Miller
Michael Rischitelli
Charlie Dixon
Aaron Hall
Adam Saad
Gary Ablett
Brandon Matera

Imagine if 8 of our top ten from this year left in next 3 years

Lachie Hunter
Jack Macrae
Marcus Bontempelli
Aaron Naughton
Josh Dunkley
Caleb Daniel
Jason Johannisen
Hayden Crozier
Toby McLean
Bailey Williams

No wonder they are in a world of hurt.

AshMac
17-10-2018, 08:52 PM
No wonder they are in a world of hurt.

Not the worst idea to clean out and start a full rebuild w a “super draft”

bulldogtragic
17-10-2018, 09:03 PM
Adams granted his many wishes to leave the club. After signing a three year deal to stay, after signing an initial 2 year deal to stay. I hope you're ready for him wanting to leave Brisbane.

We are getting back draft pick 32 (& 2019 3rd) - After demanding a pick in the 20's.

bornadog
17-10-2018, 09:04 PM
Adams granted his many wishes to leave the club. After signing a three year deal to stay, after signing an initial 2 year deal to stay. I hope you're ready for him wanting to leave Brisbane.

We are getting back draft pick 32 (& 2019 3rd) - After demanding a pick in the 20's.

Plus a future third round

SlimPickens
17-10-2018, 09:05 PM
Good deal for the Dogs on Adams.

Testekill
17-10-2018, 09:05 PM
Good, piss off Adams. You wanted to leave ever since you started with us so enjoy being somewhere shit

GVGjr
17-10-2018, 09:06 PM

It would have been nice to get something else as well but it does mean we are getting 4 players in from the draft.

DOG GOD
17-10-2018, 09:09 PM

Sorry, laughable.

divvydan
17-10-2018, 09:09 PM
The 2019 Rd 3 pick is tied to Hawthorn, which means it'll probably be somewhere around pick 50.

Rocket Science
17-10-2018, 09:10 PM
Oh well, enough of wondering how much better we might be if Adams could only stay on the park.

We should run a pool on how many games he plays next year.

GVGjr
17-10-2018, 09:11 PM
The 2019 Rd 3 pick is tied to Hawthorn, which means it'll probably be somewhere around pick 50.

I think it's a Suns pick meaning it's more likely a pick in the high 30's

Adams to Lions for pick 32 and future third (from Suns)

divvydan
17-10-2018, 09:15 PM
I think it's a Suns pick meaning it's more likely a pick in the high 30's

Adams to Lions for pick 32 and future third (from Suns)

AFL site says it's tied to Hawthorn.

Also, Roughead done to Collingwood for pick 75.

GVGjr
17-10-2018, 09:15 PM
Pick 75 for Roughead is done

G-Mo77
17-10-2018, 09:16 PM
Lol. We caved as expected.

The Bulldogs Bite
17-10-2018, 09:17 PM
We can still claim we’re the youngest side each week though, right?

Dancin' Douggy
Roughead for pick 75 is so depressing, so deflating and just so so sad.

bulldogtragic
Pick 75 for Roughead is done

Has no draft points. We won't use it. A gesture of good faith by us.

angelopetraglia
17-10-2018, 09:18 PM
We have seriously weakened our list why other clubs have strengthened their lists.

Greystache

It's ironic, good players won't come to us but opposition club's love dealing with us.

We've got some irons in the fire still, but I suspect we're not doing it right

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcSmXoxqgEL0MqGpT25JN-jEh27hAqtvdpm_iGSKrPDeYaNIqAI7

Dancin' Douggy
Has no draft points. We won't use it. A gesture of good faith by us.

but also a gesture of very BAD faith, as in we have zero faith in you as a footballer. Zero.

mjp
17-10-2018, 09:21 PM
We have seriously weakened our list why other clubs have strengthened their lists.

I really don't see how we have weakened our list.

Maybe I'm just Mr Positive (said no-one ever btw) but for all of the exits my only comment is pretty much "Don't let the door hit you on the arse on the way out". I am not sold on the ins but they are no worse than the outs...

bulldogtragic
17-10-2018, 09:22 PM
but also a gesture of very BAD faith, as in we have zero faith in you as a footballer. Zero.

Basically. I imagine Bevo said I won't be playing you for 'insert reason'. I wish him well, and I wish for a huge preseason for English.

choconmientay
17-10-2018, 09:24 PM
Depressing reading woof right now. Let’s just let things settle and looking forward to th draft.

G-Mo77
17-10-2018, 09:24 PM
Basically. I imagine Bevo said I won't be playing you for 'insert reason'. I wish him well, and I wish for a huge preseason for English.

And we'll run him into the ground and not see him in the 2nd half of the season while Tom Campbell continues to destroy the competition at VFL level.

bulldogtragic
17-10-2018, 09:30 PM
And we'll run him into the ground and not see him in the 2nd half of the season while Tom Campbell continues to destroy the competition at VFL level.

We must be twin clairvoyants. I'm concerned about the whole ruck situation, and flow on forward situation. Sam Power says Campbell stays, but such a backhanded way that he's playing VFL no matter what from reading his comments. I hope we've worked out if Tim's footy boots are ok or not, if not Boyd is rucking with a back issue and we then expect Schache to dominate an entire forward 50 with not much tall support. I would've hoped we would've fixed this. The draft will be good for top kids, but the ruck situation is still current in 2019.

Bumper Bulldogs
17-10-2018, 09:32 PM
Well looks like we now have cleaned house and off to a fresh start. I see Sam Power now the most under preside person at the kennel for many years. I’m backing the recruiting team to now get the job done.

I hope!

Rocket Science
17-10-2018, 09:37 PM
Agreed, a SO MUCH suddenly hinges on English's ability to acquit himself next year ... assuming we're concerning ourselves with win-losses as much as development.

My brain's already fast forwarding six months and Khamis is rucking while West the younger is parked in a forward pocket while we plonk rain-makers on his head.

Bet against it, I DARE you.

Happy Days
17-10-2018, 09:38 PM
Could've sworn that 32 is distinctly not a pick in the 20's but whatever good job I guess.

What a depressing waste of time.

EasternWest
17-10-2018, 09:39 PM
Could've sworn that 32 is distinctly not a pick in the 20's but whatever good job I guess.

What a depressing waste of time.

I don't think Adams was worth a pick in the 20's and I'm happy with 32 just to see him gone.

LostDog
17-10-2018, 09:43 PM
Yep I agree hate to say it and be negative but bottom 3 next year, and feel the rot of losing will upset some players looking elsewhere or be poached by the hawthorns of the league

Sam Power rating F

Eastdog
17-10-2018, 09:43 PM
Farewell Marcus and Jordan.

Happy Days
17-10-2018, 09:45 PM
I don't think Adams was worth a pick in the 20's and I'm happy with 32 just to see him gone.

What he's worth has nothing to do with it. It's another example of the club holding all the cards and then caving to meet the demands of the other party for no reason other than to play nice.