PDA

View Full Version : 2018 Dogs bolters and sliders

Dry Rot
10-11-2017, 09:59 PM
OK, pick one Dogs player you think will show real improvement in 2018 over 2017, and one that will slide in 2018.

BOLTER

My bolter is Dunkley. Like what I read here. Sounds like he's already put a lot of work in.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-11-10/young-dog-looks-to-rekindle-his-lucky-streak

SLIDER

And I'm sorry boys and girls, fairy tales have to end. My slider is Morris. I think we saw signs of Father Time last season.

Twodogs
10-11-2017, 10:11 PM
I loved reading this;

"It's definitely a focus for us because on day one of pre-season we had the footballs out practising kicking and set shots," Dunkley said.

I really, really enjoyed it.

bulldogtragic
10-11-2017, 10:13 PM
Bolter - Lipinski. I think there's a role for a mid sized forward. He looked lively in the final round.

Slider - Clay Smith. I have a feeling he's going to struggle to play more than a handful of games at most.

merantau
10-11-2017, 10:34 PM
Bailey Dale has a lot of tricks and now knows that he can mix it at this level. I like to think he'll make chumps out of a few defenders in 2018
Slider? I don't see Tom Campbell getting any better. He's been around for quite a while and has yet to cement his spot in the starting 22.

Twodogs
10-11-2017, 10:36 PM
Bolter-Josh Schasche in the unfamiliar, for us, spare 200cm+ forward role

Slider-Tom Campbell. Hopefully he mentions me in his Brownlow acceptance speech.

Remi Moses
10-11-2017, 11:06 PM
Bolter - A fit and healthy Marcus Adams . Stays on the park and he’ll be massive for us
Slider- saw some frightening signs from Clay Smith . Seriously looked like the three knees have got him.
Hope I’m wrong

The Doctor
11-11-2017, 12:04 AM
Bolter - Tom Boyd, the giant awakes

Slider - Lin Jong, coming back from a knee could affect pace, serious competition for spots

bornadog
11-11-2017, 12:08 AM
Bolter: Toby Mclean, will take another step forward

Slider: Redpath. Has lot's of competition for the big man spot

boydogs
11-11-2017, 02:27 AM
Bolter - Bailey Dale really started to look dangerous towards the end of last season

Slider - Picken's getting on a bit, might start to struggle with injuries and getting up every week

westdog54
11-11-2017, 04:20 AM
Bolter - Tom Boyd to put the Grand Final day superman suit on for the whole season.
Slider - I'm praying I'm wrong but I'm bloody worried about Picken this year.

jazzadogs
11-11-2017, 06:58 AM
Bolter - McLean for me. I predict a top 5 finish in the best and fairest and for him to cement a spot in our best 3 mids at the centre bounce. Was stoked with his improvement this year.

Slider - it's hard to pick anyone as a slider given the poor season's that most of our squad had, but I'm going to go with Dickson. Struggling with niggly injuries which are likely to get worse, not better. Needs to recapture his intensity or risk a Menzel-like situation...is 3 goals straight worth it if his opponent sets up five?

Smads57
11-11-2017, 03:34 PM
I'm with BAD - McLean to be the bolter and Redders the slider

lemmon
11-11-2017, 03:43 PM
Bolter- Collins. Been in the system for a while now, think he has it in him to make the step up.

Slider- Roughead. Just not sure how you can command a regular place if youre not getting the footy or getting first hand at the ruck contest.

comrade
11-11-2017, 03:58 PM
Bolter: Adams if he gets a proper run at it.

Slider: Picko. Has been a warrior but I just have a feeling he's on the down slope.

ratsmac
12-11-2017, 12:03 AM
Bolter: Bailey Williams. This kid definitely has something. He just needs to build on his fitness base to enable him to impact more and more contests.

Slider: Tory Dickson. I hope I'm wrong but he seems to be on the downward spiral. He is still our most reliable set shot for goal but struggled to get near the ball last season. He hasn't had a proper pre season for a while so fingers crossed he can get through this one with a clean bill of health.

Flamethrower
12-11-2017, 12:44 AM
Bolter = Tim English - will become a regular senior player by the 2018 finals series.

Slider = Jordan Roughead - Jackson Trengove will take over as part of our ruck posse with Tom Boyd and Tim English.

Eastdog
12-11-2017, 12:51 AM
Bolter - A fit and healthy Marcus Adams . Stays on the park and he’ll be massive for us
Slider- saw some frightening signs from Clay Smith . Seriously looked like the three knees have got him.
Hope I’m wrong

Ill go with what you have said Remi.

Twodogs
12-11-2017, 01:13 AM
Bolter: Bailey Williams. This kid definitely has something. He just needs to build on his fitness base to enable him to impact more and more contests.

Slider: Tory Dickson. I hope I'm wrong but he seems to be on the downward spiral. He is still our most reliable set shot for goal but struggled to get near the ball last season. He hasn't had a proper pre season for a while so fingers crossed he can get through this one with a clean bill of health.

I'm thinking it may be a bit the other way with Deadeye. He's had a couple of, not shocking, but frustrating seasons where he has carried niggles most weeks and has struggled for constant football. I'm thinking that if Tory can have a big preseason and build a base of fitness so he can concentrate on getting plenty of shots at goal with that lovely action of his then he can be just as important to us as he was early in his career.

I reckon Tory has a couple of years good footy left in him.

Bolter = Tim English - will become a regular senior player by the 2018 finals series.

Slider = Jordan Roughead - Jackson Trengove will take over as part of our ruck posse with Tom Boyd and Tim English.

Yeah good one. Roughead would be looking over his shoulder

Ill go with what you have said Remi.

That you hope Remi is wrong?

Eastdog
12-11-2017, 01:21 AM
That you hope Remi is wrong?

Bolter: Marcus

Slider: Clay

So that's my bolter and slider for 2018 same as what Remi predicts.

Hoping Clay isn't a slider of course and that Marcus is a huge bolter.

Dry Rot
12-11-2017, 02:07 AM

Huge call.

Is Roughie out of contract next year?

Go_Dogs
12-11-2017, 09:38 AM
Bolter - Bailey Dale to go from one of our most improved to one of our most important in the forward half. Has the ability to find space, create opportunities and kick goals.

Slider - Sadly I'm going to echo those who have mentioned Jordan Roughead. Roughie has struggled with consistency over his career and with Boyd, Schache and Trengove all able to spend time in the ruck, it may spell the end for Roughie - not to mention we have Campbell (also may struggle for game time) and English (may not be ready yet). Hopefully Jordan can stay on the park and have a big year but if his form wavers or injuries hit, it will make it tough for him.

bulldogtragic
12-11-2017, 09:56 AM
Huge call.

Is Roughie out of contract next year?

Free agent. Might be that we allow him to explore his options if he's a big slider.

MrMahatma
12-11-2017, 10:19 AM
Free agent. Might be that we allow him to explore his options if he's a big slider.

Don't forget he missed a big chunk of the year with injury too. Reckon he'll be back next season and own the ruck role.

bornadog
12-11-2017, 11:32 AM
Don't forget he missed a big chunk of the year with injury too. Reckon he'll be back next season and own the ruck role.

That is what I predict as well. The pre-season injury in 2017 ruined his year.

merantau
12-11-2017, 08:06 PM
Lin Jong is due for a change of luck. He has plenty of pace, raw courage, tackles with intent and is strong overhead. He needs to work on his disposal and decision-making.

Avoid the rush
18-11-2017, 05:04 PM

Happy to be reminded at the end of the year, but IMO Roughie may become our permenent centre half forward and nail it. IMO also have a feeling after watching VFL finals closely, that Clay Smith will return to his best and be a real key for us up forward. So two Bolters, and if I must have a Slider (hate this kind of knocking our own) maybe time will start to catch up with Morris.

Eastdog
18-11-2017, 06:12 PM
Lin Jong is due for a change of luck. He has plenty of pace, raw courage, tackles with intent and is strong overhead. He needs to work on his disposal and decision-making.

Lin Jong was very good until that injury. If he can stay on the park he will be a very good contributor.

Eastdog
18-11-2017, 06:12 PM
Happy to be reminded at the end of the year, but IMO Roughie may become our permenent centre half forward and nail it. IMO also have a feeling after watching VFL finals closely, that Clay Smith will return to his best and be a real key for us up forward. So two Bolters, and if I must have a Slider (hate this kind of knocking our own) maybe time will start to catch up with Morris.

Clay 2016 finals form then he will be a hard one to stop.

merantau
18-11-2017, 07:11 PM
I have just watched the finals series again. Clay Smith was very, very good both when he had the ball and when he didn't. A return to that saw of form would be wonderful. He is a player that I really admire.

GVGjr
18-11-2017, 07:32 PM
I have just watched the finals series again. Clay Smith was very, very good both when he had the ball and when he didn't. A return to that saw of form would be wonderful. He is a player that I really admire.

It's been over a year since Clay Smith played good footy for us. In 2018 will he be the player who worked his backside off to overcome another injury like he did in 2016 with a determined mindset or the guy who arrived in 2017 underdone and distracted who could only play 8 senior games? He was one of the more disappointing players last season and I hope Bevo has a recipe to spark his work ethic again

jeemak
18-11-2017, 10:46 PM
Bolter - Toby Mac. No surprises, I think after a really good preseason and more time in the middle he'll be known as an a-grade player in the competition.

Slider - I don't have one, aside from Morris due to age if anything. There's a whole bunch of guys like Wood, Dahl, Picken, Roughead, Wallis, Smith, Liberatore and Jong who may not get any better, and maybe may drop off a little bit, from last year given our low base I don't see a slide. Of course, this is all based on a decent preseason being involved for each player.

Bulldog Joe
20-11-2017, 08:09 AM
I would say the pre-season is critical and we really want players turning up ready to go.

If we get players like Libba, Wallis, Clay Smith, Easton Wood etc starting in top shape we will be a very good side.

Many of these players were not in shape for 2017 due to post premiership issues or 2016 injury.

For me the bolter is Libba. Back to his best he is high class in the stoppages.

The slider is likely to come from the older brigade, with Picken and Morris the main candidates.

Twodogs
20-11-2017, 08:47 AM
I would say the pre-season is critical and we really want players turning up ready to go.

If we get players like Libba, Wallis, Clay Smith, Easton Wood etc starting in top shape we will be a very good side.

Many of these players were not in shape for 2017 due to post premiership issues or 2016 injury.

For me the bolter is Libba. Back to his best he is high class in the stoppages.

The slider is likely to come from the older brigade, with Picken and Morris the main candidates.

Yep Libba is the key to our season. He is an elite player and he rallies the troops. He adds more than his share of esprit de cour of the group, it's no coincidence that when he struggles we struggle.

Mofra
20-11-2017, 09:39 AM
Bolter - Tom Boyd. 2017 was virtually a write off but with ruck and forwardline tall support he can really make an impact. His best football has been as a forward / ruck with a tall forward (Zaine in the finals series) separating the tall defenders.

Slider - Mitch Wallis. Meets the quality person off-field in spades but with Dunkley back to health and Bailey Dale a huge improver and Clay not getting into the pies in the off season I don't know where he fits, especially if Tory Dickson has any sort of pre-season.

The Bulldogs Bite
20-11-2017, 11:59 AM
Bolter - Tom Boyd. 2018 will be his fifth year in the system which is when he should really start to make his mark. Been through some down periods (ie. 2017) but has shown some unbelievable ability too (ie. PF, GF 2016). He looks fitter and stronger already. Stringer is gone and Schache will be a better forward partner for him. All signs point to Tom having a strong year.

Honourable mentions: Dunkley and McLean I expect to rise quickly.

Slider - Liam Picken. I love the guy and his 2016 finals series will forever be immortalised. I also wouldn't be surprised if Liam makes an ass out of this suggestion, but I thought he really struggled in 2017. He's played a very combative game for a number of years and looked slower this year. Perhaps he (like all) needed a refresh.

Other mentions: Mitch Wallis, Clay Smith, Dale Morris, Jordan Roughead.

soupman
20-11-2017, 01:24 PM
Bolter:
Honeychurch
He lacks polish but can find the ball, applies great pressure and can fill the crumbing forward role we lack personnel in. His last couple of games this year were promising, if he can finish his work he could easily be a 1-2 goal a game player. The fact we pushed players around and out (Smith, Cloke and Crameri) to conjure up a list spot to keep him says a lot I think, as does Beveridges keenness to keep playing him while everyone here wanted him dropped.

Lipinski/Greene are the next two I can see emerging quickly, again because we need someone in that small forward role.

Slider:
Lewis Young
Loved his first couple of games, but he really struggled after that. Showed that unopposed he can intercept mark beautifully, and I am very excited about his prospects. However, his later games showed that if you put body on him in a contest he struggles (I saw Shai Bolton, a small crumbing forward, outbody him easily in a marking contest in the VFL which kind of sums up the weakness) and teams keyed in very quickly that if he is playing you isolate him deep and reap the rewards. Not a slider in the true spirit of the term, but I think he will have much more VFL time than one might expect considering how exciting he was in his first couple of games.

I would've put Smith or Dickson in here, but I think they both slid this year so based on current formlines expectations aren't high.

Cyberdoggie
20-11-2017, 02:07 PM
Good Thread this one:

Bolter: I can think of two or three but i'll go with Lin Jong, as people are writing him off already.
I still think he has got improvement in him and will have had a decent enough time to get a pre-season under him and fit for the year.

Slider: Mitch Wallis. Should be over his leg issues now and back to normal but I worry the lack of pace and variety in his game will be his downfall. Didn't like him as a forward either so it's midfield or bust and we just have more and better option in that area.

Bulldog Joe
20-11-2017, 05:34 PM
Good Thread this one:

Bolter: I can think of two or three but i'll go with Lin Jong, as people are writing him off already.
I still think he has got improvement in him and will have had a decent enough time to get a pre-season under him and fit for the year.

Slider: Mitch Wallis. Should be over his leg issues now and back to normal but I worry the lack of pace and variety in his game will be his downfall. Didn't like him as a forward either so it's midfield or bust and we just have more and better option in that area.

I see a few who seem to believe that Wallis is past it.

For me, I can't see how he won't be a better player in 2018, based solely on getting a proper pre-season, combined with a determination to get the best from himself.

If Wallis doesn't make best 22 we will have an exceptional team.

boydogs
21-11-2017, 01:37 AM
Wallis is a very smart player. He's a Matthew Boyd type that has limitations but always gets the most out of himself and finds a way to impact games

bornadog
21-11-2017, 09:58 AM
Wallis is a very smart player. He's a Matthew Boyd type that has limitations but always gets the most out of himself and finds a way to impact games

Can he move to the backline like Boyd did?

Jeanette54
21-11-2017, 01:00 PM
Something tells me our Bolter will be "The Bont". As good as he has been, I think we "ain't seen nothing yet".

The slider, Jake Stringer. Thereby sidestepping criticising one of our own.

Mantis
21-11-2017, 01:23 PM

Very different players, with different skill sets.. I can't see it happening, but I've been surprised before.

Twodogs
21-11-2017, 03:24 PM
Very different players, with different skill sets.. I can't see it happening, but I've been surprised before.

Yep. You would have gotten pretty good odds on Matty Boyd being a premiership winning AA half back within two years at the end of 2014.

LostDoggy
21-11-2017, 04:24 PM
Bolter - Libba to show what a good preseason and refocussed goals can do for stamina and head space.

Slider - Adams. Recurring foot problems. I am unsure whether his muscular build adds to, or detracts from, what can be quite dicy foot injuries.

boydogs
22-11-2017, 08:30 AM

Wallis' strengths are smarts and positioning. He knows how to setup a stoppage, and get on the end of a pass in the forward line. His weaknesses are pace and long kicking. That sounds like a mid/fwd to me, not a defender

LostDoggy
22-11-2017, 02:54 PM
Wallis' strengths are smarts and positioning. He knows how to setup a stoppage, and get on the end of a pass in the forward line. His weaknesses are pace and long kicking. That sounds like a mid/fwd to me, not a defender

A not dissimilar set of weaknesses could have been written about Matty Boyd. Boyd also benefitted greatly from the extra split second half backs often get in their disposal decision making, I can see Wallis benefitting similarly. I don't know if Wallis will end up on a back flank as there a few vying for that position, but I think he'd be best placed there in a Boyd like role (also a bit like hs Dad, Stephen).

jeemak
22-11-2017, 03:04 PM
Wallis is pure inside mid who can go forward and score for me.

I'll not make a call on him until he's had an opportunity to recover fully from his injury.

hujsh
22-11-2017, 06:52 PM
Was Boyd ever considered slow? Never lightning quick but I feel we're conflating him and Cross a bit.

I'd consider Boyd a step or two quicker than Wallis

Mofra
23-11-2017, 11:15 AM
Was Boyd ever considered slow? Never lightning quick but I feel we're conflating him and Cross a bit.

I'd consider Boyd a step or two quicker than Wallis
I never though Boyd was slow - he outran Richmond's entire team to kick a goal back when he was wearing the 42 jumper IIRC

Webby
23-11-2017, 11:33 AM
Wallis is pure inside mid who can go forward and score for me.

I'll not make a call on him until he's had an opportunity to recover fully from his injury.

Wallis had a good year for a bloke coming back off a double break in his leg... in fact "double break" doesn't quite do it justice - the thing was snapped in half! Sure, he got back on the park, but he would've hardly had the chance to really work on his speed. He'd have just been happy to have been running at all.

This pre season is a different story. If he's smart (which I think he is), he'd be focusing on his foot speed.

In comparison to Boyd, I think Wallis has one or two extra things going for him. Boyd was actually quite a powerful runner. Not fast, but I also wouldn't consider him slow. The knock on Boyd was his disposal lacking polish (although, with the extra time available in defence, it was quite good.) What Wallis has on Boyd is a bit more polish up forward. He has a natural eye for goal. - which Boyd never really had to any significant measure.

Wallis can make it if he works on a couple of key elements to his game. That clearly takes a solid pre season - which is much more possible sans crutches!

hujsh
23-11-2017, 02:25 PM
I never though Boyd was slow - he outran Richmond's entire team to kick a goal back when he was wearing the 42 jumper IIRC

He did with a bit of help from what looks like Farren 'solid' Ray

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGDuSmfrpMo

ratsmac
23-11-2017, 08:17 PM
Wallis had a good year for a bloke coming back off a double break in his leg... in fact "double break" doesn't quite do it justice - the thing was snapped in half! Sure, he got back on the park, but he would've hardly had the chance to really work on his speed. He'd have just been happy to have been running at all.

This pre season is a different story. If he's smart (which I think he is), he'd be focusing on his foot speed.

In comparison to Boyd, I think Wallis has one or two extra things going for him. Boyd was actually quite a powerful runner. Not fast, but I also wouldn't consider him slow. The knock on Boyd was his disposal lacking polish (although, with the extra time available in defence, it was quite good.) What Wallis has on Boyd is a bit more polish up forward. He has a natural eye for goal. - which Boyd never really had to any significant measure.

Wallis can make it if he works on a couple of key elements to his game. That clearly takes a solid pre season - which is much more possible sans crutches!

The thing I love about Wal is he'll never die wondering. He will certainly be better with a proper pre season behind him. If Libba can get back to his best, the knock on effect will help a few players especially Wally.

Eastdog
23-11-2017, 08:25 PM
Yep. You would have gotten pretty good odds on Matty Boyd being a premiership winning AA half back within two years at the end of 2014.

It was a great turnaround wasn't it. He played a very good last game Matt.