PDA

View Full Version : Leadership group

GVGjr
22-01-2008, 07:21 PM
I got this from the club and it has been announced on SEN.

22 January, 2008

The LeasePlan Western Bulldogs are pleased to announce their 2008 Leadership Group.

Matthew Boyd and Dale Morris will this year join Brad Johnson, Scott West, Robert Murphy, Daniel Cross and Daniel Giansiracusa.

Please see the full story on www.westernbulldogs.com.au.

GVGjr
22-01-2008, 07:21 PM
FWIW, I think these are terrific appointments.

Max469
22-01-2008, 07:32 PM
FWIW, I think these are terrific appointments.

So do I.

Very stable men who will guide the "young guns" well.

Go_Dogs
22-01-2008, 07:39 PM
Am I mistaken, or was Cooney included in the leadership group last year, or at least at some stage?

I like the addition's of Dale and Matty, both seem very determined, hard working guys.

LostDoggy
22-01-2008, 09:28 PM
http://www.afl.com.au/InternationalCupNews/News/NewsArticle/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=54694

Boyd and Morris take the lead at Bulldogs

4:00 PM Tue 22 January, 2008 | Back

By Jennifer Witham

for westernbulldogs.com.au
News

THE Western Bulldogs have named a seven-man leadership group this season, with Matthew Boyd and Dale Morris added to the line-up.

Boyd and Morris will join the five remaining members from last year's group in Brad Johnson, Scott West, Robert Murphy, Daniel Cross and Daniel Giansiracusa, as the Dogs look to tackle the 2008 season with a focus on leadership.

"It's a good cross-section of age and certainly positions, Dale being a defender now. It's always good to have a defender in that group," coach Rodney Eade told westernbulldogs.com.au.

"We'd certainly like to add to that as we go along. What you'd like to have is 30 players in the leadership group, with everyone having a say.

"We've got a leadership program running at the moment, so as players improve and show some leadership qualities, we'll actually add them along the way."

Eade said the seven, who were voted in by the players, are all individuals who "lead by example", owing to their tireless work ethic.

"They all train really well, and Morris and Boyd are just going to add to that. Along with Crossy, I think they're close to our three best trainers," he said.

"Obviously Johnno and Westy have done it for such a long time. Dale might be new to the club, with only 50 or 60 games, but he's getting confidence being able to give direction.

"Matthew is also a great story, coming from Frankston reserves and then being a rookie and now being one of our key players, and being in the leadership group by the way he goes about it.

"He's certainly getting a lot of confidence from being able to challenge his teammates as well."

With the retirements of Luke Darcy, Chris Grant, Brett Montgomery and Matthew Robbins, Eade is hoping the departure of the foursome encourages the younger players to show more leadership.

"It's disappointing to lose some experience, and we lost four players who had a lot of experience and leadership qualities," he said.

"But, sometimes when you've got quite a few players of the same age, the players underneath seem to think they can't say much because they haven't done as much as these players.

"We had a void in our list, there's a generation sort of lost as we had guys who were 30 and then guys who are 25, and with that gap being closed now with not as many 30-year-olds and guys now who are 26, 27, we've got a good spread in the demographics across the list.

"Players realise now that they're the experienced players, and they need to do something about it."

Eade said the players are embracing the leadership program the Bulldogs currently have in place, and are enjoying being instructed on how to best express themselves both verbally and physically.

"It's the same program a lot of other teams have done, and it's about personal improvement and the ability to speak your mind," he said.

"It's also about your behaviours, and to be able to articulate that to your teammates, if they're not being adhered to, and having the confidence in knowing you have a voice.

"The players are responding really well to that at the moment."

The Bulldogs Bite
22-01-2008, 09:43 PM
Cross, Boyd & Morris lead by example through sheer hard work. They aren't the most talented or skillful players, but they work endlessly to perform at 110% every week. It's fantastic they've been given Leadership roles as I love the way these two go about it. They both have a terrific story too, both having to work their way up the VFL system and then through the rookie listing.

Both come a long way, both deserving. They serve as inspiration for what you can do if you put your mind to it.

Hopefully their voices are heard throughout by the rest of the playing group.

westdog54
22-01-2008, 10:44 PM
Boyd is a no-brainer, one of the hardest workers at the club.

Morris is an interesting one, but he's someone who's managed to get the best out of himself, something the younger players could aspire to.

always right
22-01-2008, 10:49 PM
and there you have it...our next captain and vice captain...introducing Daniel Cross and Matthew Boyd...and best mates to boot.

Bulldog Revolution
23-01-2008, 12:17 AM
Cross, Boyd & Morris lead by example through sheer hard work. They aren't the most talented or skillful players, but they work endlessly to perform at 110% every week. It's fantastic they've been given Leadership roles as I love the way these two go about it. They both have a terrific story too, both having to work their way up the VFL system and then through the rookie listing.

Both come a long way, both deserving. They serve as inspiration for what you can do if you put your mind to it.

A fine post TBB as the resident sport psycho(logist)

DOG GOD
23-01-2008, 12:08 PM

Totally agree with this....well said.

Dry Rot
23-01-2008, 03:01 PM
Boyd is a no-brainer, one of the hardest workers at the club.

Morris is an interesting one, but he's someone who's managed to get the best out of himself, something the younger players could aspire to.

Maybe it's as simple as sending a message to the younger players re the value of effort?

Bulldog Revolution
23-01-2008, 03:14 PM
Maybe it's as simple as sending a message to the younger players re the value of effort?

I think thats exactly what Eade is doing. The message is that hard work, persistence, professionalism and being prepared to sacrifice yourself for the team in highly valued at the club.

Its certainly not a surprise that Eade has chosen these two. Both led by example the way they tackled a difficult 2007 campaign.

LardDog
23-01-2008, 06:51 PM
Definately a good additions to the leadership group. Those 2 always lead by example.

BulldogBelle
23-01-2008, 09:45 PM
A fine post TBB as the resident sport psycho(logist)

Yes it was a good post, I always enjoy reading TBB's posting style - always interesting reading.

LostDoggy
23-01-2008, 10:09 PM
I agree that it's sending out a great message, conversely to the message that Carlton's sending out with Judd...which I find amusing, but really don't agree with. These two are my favourite players (albeit with a significant margin between them) and I hope they really enjoy their new role.

G-Mo77
23-01-2008, 10:52 PM
Both excellent choices! 2 guys that get the job done with good old fashioned hard work on the field.

The Bulldogs Bite
23-01-2008, 10:54 PM
Yes it was a good post, I always enjoy reading TBB's posting style - always interesting reading.

Thanks BB, much appreciated. :)

Next year I plan to goto University and study Public Relations with a major in Journalism, so it's nice to hear my writing style isn't dull & boring. :p

BulldogBelle
23-01-2008, 10:57 PM
Thanks BB, much appreciated. :)

Next year I plan to goto University and study Public Relations with a major in Journalism, so it's nice to hear my writing style isn't dull & boring. :p

Wish you only the best with that...just think another future Bulldog supporting journalist to write many interesting and thought provoking articles - I like the idea of that. :)

The Bulldogs Bite
23-01-2008, 11:06 PM
Wish you only the best with that...just think another future Bulldog supporting journalist to write many interesting and thought provoking articles - I like the idea of that. :)

It sounds good on paper, eh? ;)

One can only hope.