PDA

View Full Version : Biggest scandals for each club?

Dry Rot
02-02-2018, 01:09 AM
One for the older guys/good footy historians here.

Saw this discussion elsewhere, but most of the responses were from people who only know footy this century.

So fire away - what are the biggest scandals over the years for each club?

Including ours...

Twodogs
02-02-2018, 02:01 AM
The bribing of he Essendon players in the Chamoinship match in 1924. Except it didn't happen. They are lies made up a decade later to explain their embarrassment at being beaten by an Association team on the MCG in front of a monster crowd.

The bribing of Port Melbourne players in the 1922 VFA grand final. Not much doubt about this one. Some of the attempted bribing took place on the ground just before the last quarter started, there was an investigation and Footscray players were suspended.

Throughandthrough
02-02-2018, 09:03 AM
I read the opening thread as "biggest sandals"

bulldogsthru&thru
02-02-2018, 10:28 AM
I read the opening thread as "biggest sandals"

ijlia Grgic?

westdog54
02-02-2018, 11:08 AM
Off the top of my head:

Adelaide: Kurt Tippett trade/ draft deal.
Brisbane: The merger
Carlton: Salary Cap Scandal
Collingwood: Take your pick, they've had a few
Essendon: Supplements saga.
Freo: Ryan Crowley drug ban
Geelong: Matthew Stokes cocaine charge
Hawthorn: Leigh Matthews charged with assaulting Neville Bruns
Melbourne: Tanking scandal
North: The fall of Wayne Carey
Port Adelaide: Eddie Betts racism incidents.
Richmond: topless selfie
StKilda: StKilda schoolgirl.
Sydney: Barry Hall king hit
West coast: 2006 drug culture

craigsahibee
02-02-2018, 12:26 PM
Off the top of my head:

Adelaide: Kurt Tippett trade/ draft deal.
Brisbane: The merger
Carlton: Salary Cap Scandal
Collingwood: Take your pick, they've had a few
Essendon: Supplements saga.
Freo: Ryan Crowley drug ban
Geelong: Matthew Stokes cocaine charge
Hawthorn: Leigh Matthews charged with assaulting Neville Bruns
Melbourne: Tanking scandal
North: The fall of Wayne Carey
Port Adelaide: Eddie Betts racism incidents.
Richmond: topless selfie
StKilda: StKilda schoolgirl.
Sydney: Barry Hall king hit
West coast: 2006 drug culture

I take issue with that one. Melbourne were never good enough to "tank".

Dry Rot
02-02-2018, 02:37 PM
What about the sacking of Norm Smith?

And wasn't there some Dogs incident in the 1980s aboard a plane and someone taking over the intercom?

Rocket Science
02-02-2018, 02:52 PM

And wasn't there some Dogs incident in the 1980s aboard a plane and someone taking over the intercom?

"G'day passengers *swigs from a tinnie* this is Captain Groenewegen speaking ..."

Remi Moses
02-02-2018, 02:55 PM
Even though I was a mere kid I remember the Social club v footy club scandal at our club .

Twodogs
02-02-2018, 05:50 PM

Good call with Norm Smith. Politics got him. Smith's biggest supporter and the man who used to run interference with the committee for him, Ivor Warne-Smith died in late 1964 and Smith and the committee had a big falling out. Committees never sack themselves so Norm got the chop despite Melbourne being the reigning premiers, on top of the ladder and Norm being a Six time premiership coach.

bornadog
02-02-2018, 06:33 PM
The biggest scandal for us was the merger and will always be the merger ( I hope nothing worse happens)

We were all but gone but rescued by Peter Gordon and the save the dogs committee. We are in a strong position now , but let's never ever get complacent.

Flamethrower
02-02-2018, 09:23 PM
Gold Coast Suns - Karmichael Hunt "white line fever"

GWS Giants - Lachie Whitfield

GVGjr
02-02-2018, 09:29 PM
Brad Hardie's failed bid to come back to us and subsequent fine for the club wasn't great.

Twodogs
02-02-2018, 11:49 PM
Brad Hardie's failed bid to come back to us and subsequent fine for the club wasn't great.

His departure wasn't overly flash either.

The Doctor
02-02-2018, 11:51 PM
His departure wasn't overly flash either.

broke my heart.

hated Malthouse for that at the time.

The Doctor
02-02-2018, 11:56 PM

I was so thrilled when I heard Hardie was coming back to us. Then hurt for a 2nd time when announced he wouldn't be playing for us. Hated the AFL for that & was convinced of a conspiracy theory by the governing body to destabilise us.

Sedat
03-02-2018, 01:25 AM
Essendon: Doping scandal.
Edited for accuracy. Never hear the media referencing Lance Armstrong or Chinese swimmers or Russian athletes being involved in a 'supplements saga' ;)

merantau
05-02-2018, 07:13 PM
Scandals
Jon Dorotich - the club managed to have a charge of "wilful and obscene exposure" against him moved to a midnight hearing at the Prahran Magistrate's Court.

Twodogs
05-02-2018, 07:47 PM
Scandals
Jon Dorotich - the club managed to have a charge of "wilful and obscene exposure" against him moved to a midnight hearing at the Prahran Magistrate's Court.

There have been a few of those. One player drove through a red light at midnight and killed two people in the car he hit. Can you remember any league footballer ever going to jail or even reading about a court case regarding it? It's just one of many.

Happy Days
09-02-2018, 12:08 PM
What about Harbrow's D&D during the finals in 08(?)

Elite covering up by the club

Bulldog4life
12-02-2018, 10:59 PM
Scandals

A similar thing happened. He is a multiple Brownlow medalist.

Twodogs
12-02-2018, 11:14 PM
A similar thing happened. He is a multiple Brownlow medalist.

Hmm. From Tasmania?

I think I might know what you're talking about. He was arrested sitting in a car?

Bulldog4life
13-02-2018, 01:45 PM
Hmm. From Tasmania?

I think I might know what you're talking about. He was arrested sitting in a car?

Correct on both fronts.

Twodogs
13-02-2018, 03:33 PM
Correct on both fronts.

Cheers for that. Bloody good player.

Was the story originally in the Truth?

Bulldog4life
13-02-2018, 05:43 PM

Yes it was.Front page, You have a great memory Td.

Twodogs
13-02-2018, 08:47 PM

I have a faculty for salaciousness.

KT31
17-02-2018, 12:30 AM

Geese you blokes are old, both with remembering the play and also the Truth?:D

GVGjr
18-02-2018, 12:54 PM
SEN are reporting that Jordan De Goey has apparently been caught drink driving.
Not a huge scandal but it will attract some attention.

Jeanette54
18-02-2018, 05:57 PM
If (much) older Bulldogs are to be believed there was an in-house scandal involving a certain player and another player's wife. Time frame the 1950's. I am to young to remember, but have heard it from several sources. Can't vouch for the authenticity.

Happy Days
18-02-2018, 06:21 PM
If (much) older Bulldogs are to be believed there was an in-house scandal involving a certain player and another player's wife. Time frame the 1950's. I am to young to remember, but have heard it from several sources. Can't vouch for the authenticity.

Wasn't this (allegedly) why the 1954 team didn't stay together?

There's also a similar story about two players in the early 2000's, one of whom was a 7 time best and fairest.

Twodogs
18-02-2018, 11:49 PM

Wasn't this (allegedly) why the 1954 team didn't stay together?

There's also a similar story about two players in the early 2000's, one of whom was a 7 time best and fairest.

It's one of the reasons. A champion player left the club in his prime and in a huff because of it. His departure would have been a major blow. Allegedly.

Bulldog4life
20-02-2018, 12:11 PM
It's one of the reasons. A champion player left the club in his prime and in a huff because of it. His departure would have been a major blow. Allegedly.

Yes I heard that too from pretty good authority.

Twodogs
20-02-2018, 12:35 PM
Yes I heard that too from pretty good authority.

Bobby Davis would have said that that situation was "fair dinkum unbelievable" :)

Bulldog4life
20-02-2018, 12:57 PM
Bobby Davis would have said that that situation was "fair dinkum unbelievable" :)

One out of the Box

Twodogs
20-02-2018, 02:02 PM
Up until it petered out.

merantau
23-02-2018, 03:50 PM
Correct on both fronts.

Why so coy? I think we're talking Ian Stewart NOT Bobby Skilton.
As the story goes he was in drag, behind the wheel of a car in Flinders Lane? when he was approached by a policeman. I heard that he took off in a hurry and dragged the policeman across the Elizabeth St? intersection.
I just don't know what happened after that.

EasternWest
23-02-2018, 03:54 PM

Didn't this happen in the late 90's also? Something to do with a migraine?

Twodogs
23-02-2018, 04:02 PM
Why so coy? I think we're talking Ian Stewart NOT Bobby Skilton.
As the story goes he was in drag, behind the wheel of a car in Flinders Lane? when he was approached by a policeman. I heard that he took off in a hurry and dragged the policeman across the Elizabeth St? intersection.
I just don't know what happened after that.

It's why he quit as coach wasn't it? We have come a long way in 40 years.

merantau
23-02-2018, 08:31 PM
It's why he quit as coach wasn't it? We have come a long way in 40 years.

Sure have. He could saddle up and get a game in AFLW these days.

Twodogs
23-02-2018, 08:54 PM
Sure have. He could saddle up and get a game in AFLW these days.

That generation of Tasmanian football, Royce Hart is the best player I have seen, Stewart, Baldock, Crosswell, Verdun Howe and players of that quality. I can remember Darryl Baldock running around the boundary before the game bouncing a footy with each hand

merantau
23-02-2018, 11:09 PM
Yes, they were players out of the top drawer. Throw in Bull Richardson too. An early exponent of creative, attacking handball. Big mistake not to have a team from Tassie.

bornadog
23-02-2018, 11:59 PM
Yes, they were players out of the top drawer. Throw in Bull Richardson too. An early exponent of creative, attacking handball. Big mistake not to have a team from Tassie.

and Peter Hudson

Twodogs
24-02-2018, 02:02 AM
and Peter Hudson

That's the one I couldn't think of. I knew there was one more. And Richo's old man.

merantau
24-02-2018, 08:37 PM
Bob and Barry Pascoe were from Tassie I believe. Bob was at North and Barry was at St.Kilda from memory.

Twodogs
24-02-2018, 10:58 PM
Who's our best Tasmanian! Simon Atkins? Steve McPherson? Alan Rait?

Happy Days
25-02-2018, 11:54 AM

Jesse Wells!

But actually Brodie Moles.

KT31
04-03-2018, 06:09 PM

Super for mine TD, I would rank Paul Hudson second above the the other two.
Rod was also a decent player.

Twodogs
04-03-2018, 10:10 PM
Super for mine TD, I would rank Paul Hudson second above the the other two.
Rod was also a decent player.

Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about Huddo. He is one of our best ever signings I reckon.