PDA

View Full Version : The ability to recognise the 'URGENCY' of a situation.

mjp
13-05-2018, 02:02 PM
First off, I am pretty happy with how we are playing. Yep - it would be nice to take advantage of some of our i50's but that's life...and to be truthful we weren't great at converting back in 2015 and 2016 either. But.

Could we please have a 'recognise the moment' series of clips shown to the players? It is like they play at the same 'level' throughout the game - and fail to recognise when it is absolutely, 100% critical that THEY need to be the one to 'make a stand'. There are moments in games - and the Honeychurch not goal side of Zorko moment a few people have mentioned is one of them - that an individual just needs to 'stand up' and say 'not in my house' (or any of a million other cliches) and just make an impact. And sticking with the same example, if Honeychurch wasn't there, one of his team-mates (and I think Young was closest) needed to identify that someone else had better step up and cover here...and DO IT.

I know we are young (and that is part of it) but the ability to recognise key moments just seems to be escaping our players at the moment and it is costing us goals. You can't be playing at 'ultimate intensity' at all times - I get that. But you do need to be able to recognise that 'If I don't stop this now, then xxxxx is going to hit the fan'. Or if we are recognising these moments, there is a gap between identifying them and actually doing something about it that needs to be closed (and quickly).

I am pretty confident we will represent ourselves very well over the next few weeks...but I think we will allow too many easy goals to actually win the games - UNLESS we quickly understand that there are moments that need MAXIMUM effort (I sound like Deadpool now) and are prepared to react accordingly.

bornadog
13-05-2018, 07:03 PM
The same urgency moments must come up the other end. Players must take their opportunities and say this is an important goal and I will nail it. To often we seem to be not taking goal kicking seriously. A good example is Suckling who decided yesterday that the moment came where he had to nail a big goal. Brisbane were attacking and got within 7 points at one stage. Suckling concentrated, took responsibility and nailed it.

FrediKanoute
13-05-2018, 07:44 PM
The same urgency moments must come up the other end. Players must take their opportunities and say this is an important goal and I will nail it. To often we seem to be not taking goal kicking seriously. A good example is Suckling who decided yesterday that the moment came where he had to nail a big goal. Brisbane were attacking and got within 7 points at one stage. Suckling concentrated, took responsibility and nailed it.

Agreed, if Bailey Dale, Gowers and Dunk's nail their 1st quarter shots its game over at quarter time.

lemmon
14-05-2018, 10:51 AM
It's something Bont is so very good at and what elevates him above his teammates. Game is on the line - he wills himself onto a loose ball or gets hands free for a clearance.

A lot it comes down to leadership as well, having a player that recognises the moment and communicates it. Matt Boyd could be a bit of a 'barker', but he always got that intensity across to teammates when needed.

I think Mitch Wallis is a guy that has to take a bit of leadership in that regard. He's vocal, experienced enough to know the moments when they arrive and has that combative style to his game.

LostDoggy
14-05-2018, 11:15 AM
The goal that really turned the tide when Bris got within 7 points was the Bailey Dale intercept and pass to set up Bont. Suckers goal came later, but it was a beautiful kick.

bornadog
14-05-2018, 12:06 PM
The goal that really turned the tide when Bris got within 7 points was the Bailey Dale intercept and pass to set up Bont. Suckers goal came later, but it was a beautiful kick.

Yeah I agree, however, my point is Suckers took the responsibility to put the game away when he had to and make it impossible for Brisbane to catch us.

westdog54
14-05-2018, 12:32 PM
Yeah I agree, however, my point is Suckers took the responsibility to put the game away when he had to and make it impossible for Brisbane to catch us.

This was something that was highlighted with Joe Daniher's stuff-up against us. Brian Taylor and Luke Hodge agreed that the truly great players want the ball in their hands when the game is on the line.

Twodogs
15-05-2018, 11:01 AM
It's something Bont is so very good at and what elevates him above his teammates. Game is on the line - he wills himself onto a loose ball or gets hands free for a clearance.

A lot it comes down to leadership as well, having a player that recognises the moment and communicates it. Matt Boyd could be a bit of a 'barker', but he always got that intensity across to teammates when needed.

I think Mitch Wallis is a guy that has to take a bit of leadership in that regard. He's vocal, experienced enough to know the moments when they arrive and has that combative style to his game.

Yep, I was going to make that exact same point. The last player I saw with the capacity to seek out moments inside games and turn them to our advantage was Kelvin Templeton.

1eyedog
15-05-2018, 11:33 AM
First off, I am pretty happy with how we are playing. Yep - it would be nice to take advantage of some of our i50's but that's life...and to be truthful we weren't great at converting back in 2015 and 2016 either. But.

Could we please have a 'recognise the moment' series of clips shown to the players? It is like they play at the same 'level' throughout the game - and fail to recognise when it is absolutely, 100% critical that THEY need to be the one to 'make a stand'. There are moments in games - and the Honeychurch not goal side of Zorko moment a few people have mentioned is one of them - that an individual just needs to 'stand up' and say 'not in my house' (or any of a million other cliches) and just make an impact. And sticking with the same example, if Honeychurch wasn't there, one of his team-mates (and I think Young was closest) needed to identify that someone else had better step up and cover here...and DO IT.

I know we are young (and that is part of it) but the ability to recognise key moments just seems to be escaping our players at the moment and it is costing us goals. You can't be playing at 'ultimate intensity' at all times - I get that. But you do need to be able to recognise that 'If I don't stop this now, then xxxxx is going to hit the fan'. Or if we are recognising these moments, there is a gap between identifying them and actually doing something about it that needs to be closed (and quickly).

I am pretty confident we will represent ourselves very well over the next few weeks...but I think we will allow too many easy goals to actually win the games - UNLESS we quickly understand that there are moments that need MAXIMUM effort (I sound like Deadpool now) and are prepared to react accordingly.

It can be hard to put a finger on when this needs to happen. Its true as you say that we have a young group and this ability probably becomes easier from experience. Dale Morris has it in spades. It's not about just 'having a red hot crack' all game its more about a series of mini lines in the sand during a match, the non-negotiables. It can even be defined as a series of 1%ers.

Webb actually did a ripper when he blocked for a Tom Boyd lead and goal. He saw what was unfolding, saw the space, new Macrae could make the kick and moved into position to force a block before Boyd had even moved. I was impressed by his ability to see that needed to happen.

I'm not sure whether this ability is taught or comes naturally but it can definitely become part of the club ethos. The Geelong and Hawthorn dynasties were very strong in this area imo.

1eyedog
15-05-2018, 11:37 AM
Yep, I was going to make that exact same point. The last player I saw with the capacity to seek out moments inside games and turn them to our advantage was Kelvin Templeton.

Chris Grant c. 2000?

Ghost Dog
15-05-2018, 12:17 PM
Feel your frustration MJP. We have lost a ton of experience. When we get Dale Morris back it will really assist in that regard.

mjp
16-05-2018, 11:50 PM
Feel your frustration MJP. We have lost a ton of experience. When we get Dale Morris back it will really assist in that regard.

Let's hope.

BTW - I think Suckling has been amazing this year and shown true leadership. I also thought he was great last year and was the only player (aside from Murphy) who really tried to run and carry from the back half - break the lines and get our game going...at least this year Richards joins in with him - and so has JJ when he has gotten behind the ball.

Back to point at hand - I think he (Suckling) has kicked 2.9 for the year so giving him credit for 'recognising a moment' simply because he FINALLY kicked a goal seems a touch over the top.

The Bulldogs Bite
17-05-2018, 12:01 PM
Let's hope.

BTW - I think Suckling has been amazing this year and shown true leadership. I also thought he was great last year and was the only player (aside from Murphy) who really tried to run and carry from the back half - break the lines and get our game going...at least this year Richards joins in with him - and so has JJ when he has gotten behind the ball.

Back to point at hand - I think he (Suckling) has kicked 2.9 for the year so giving him credit for 'recognising a moment' simply because he FINALLY kicked a goal seems a touch over the top.

Just on JJ, I don't mind that at times we can push him up the ground, but half back is clearly his best position and where I think we need to settle him.