PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee - Round 23, 2018 vs Richmond

Eastdog
09-06-2018, 08:22 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. This has been named after a long time WOOF member who tragically passed away in March 2018.

Always Right (https://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?17881-Vale-always-right)

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make for our round 23, 2018 match against Richmond at the MCG?

As always a brief explanation for your changes would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
19-08-2018, 04:01 PM
Bump

GVGjr
19-08-2018, 04:57 PM
I'd like to see Young come in next week probably at the expense of Lynch

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
19-08-2018, 05:28 PM

Would that make us a bit tall?

bornadog
19-08-2018, 05:30 PM

Richmond aren't a tall side, so it might.

I think English should come in for Roughhead, but I am guessing no change.

GVGjr
19-08-2018, 05:34 PM

I don't think so, Morris and Wood can play on the mid sized players leaving Young and Naughton for any of the taller players.

bulldogtragic
19-08-2018, 05:40 PM
I'd like to see Porter given a go. He's got right up to being the match day emergency, so a little taste, even as a half forward would be good reward for him and good for the club generally.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
19-08-2018, 09:34 PM
I hope Bont is rested his back is a worry

Mantis
20-08-2018, 11:00 AM

To play forward like Lynch has been?

westbulldog
20-08-2018, 11:41 AM
In
English Young Porter

Out
Roughead Dickson Bontempelli

Give the kids the G+Richmond experience and give Bont a rest, it wont make much difference anyway.

Rocket Science
20-08-2018, 12:00 PM
You'd reckon Roughy gets a farewell game.

Jeanette54
20-08-2018, 12:16 PM
You'd reckon Roughy gets a farewell game.

After his performance against Carlton Roughy may not have played his last game for the "Dogs. He appeared to move with more freedom than at any stage of the season, maybe he has been carrying an injury.

Ozza
20-08-2018, 12:27 PM
Gotta keep Roughy in the side. Hopefully he plays well, fattening up the trade.

Axe Man
20-08-2018, 01:09 PM
Bont has 6 months to rest, he plays unless there is risk of further damage or he just can't due to pain or restricted movement.

Only give Porter a game if he deserves it (I don't know whether his VFL form warrants selection or not). Not a fan of gifting debuts just for the experience, the jumper should be earned. BTW why didn't he play in the VFL on the weekend?

bornadog
20-08-2018, 02:02 PM
Bont has 6 months to rest, he plays unless there is risk of further damage or he just can't due to pain or restricted movement.

Only give Porter a game if he deserves it (I don't know whether his VFL form warrants selection or not). Not a fan of gifting debuts just for the experience, the jumper should be earned. BTW why didn't he play in the VFL on the weekend?

Agree. I don't think Porter has played well enough to warrant selection. Was he game day emergency, and didn't play in the VFL

Bullies
20-08-2018, 02:23 PM
After his performance against Carlton Roughy may not have played his last game for the "Dogs. He appeared to move with more freedom than at any stage of the season, maybe he has been carrying an injury. I think Roughy has to get through a medical with the trade coming up so he will be moving like a whippet.

bornadog
23-08-2018, 03:51 PM
This round is a members replacement game.

divvydan
23-08-2018, 07:57 PM
Bailey Williams and Roarke Smith in for Lin Jong and Tory Dickson (both injured).

Young, HC, Porter and English the emergencies.

ratsmac
23-08-2018, 08:33 PM
Smith OMG seriously. This is your Storm Daniels type setup right there. Has to be.

Happy to see Williams back though.

I'm surprised the Bont is playing TBH. Thought they would finish him up early considering his back. What a machine, he still wants to play sore even though it is for nothing but pride.

I would love us to roll the tigers on Saturday. Especially when they have brought in their best 22.

azabob
23-08-2018, 08:43 PM
Puzzled by why we’d risk playing Williams.

The Underdog
23-08-2018, 08:48 PM
This round is a members replacement game.

I wonder how they’re replacing me this week...

Baffling selections to be sure but it’s not going to make much of a difference.

bornadog
23-08-2018, 09:43 PM
I wonder how they’re replacing me this week...

Baffling selections to be sure but it’s not going to make much of a difference.

Richmond are short, so we couldn't bring in any more talls. Who else would you like to come in?

Mantis
23-08-2018, 09:44 PM
Richmond are short, so we couldn't bring in any more talls. Who else would you like to come in?

Anyone except Smith.

bornadog
23-08-2018, 09:46 PM
Anyone except Smith.

Honeychurch :D

maybe Porter should have come in but he has shown little at FB

chef
23-08-2018, 10:21 PM
Would have preferred Biggs gets a farewell game.

Smith SMH.

Go_Dogs
23-08-2018, 10:31 PM
I'm convinced I'm on my own so haven't said anything, but I see a bit in Smith. Every now and then he has a moment where he thinks through a decision really well and executes...he is very raw, but I'm comfortable with trying to develop him because he can end up a type who has a reasonable peak and becomes a solid contributor.

Lynch is in the same both as a completely different type of player.

Better than we'll get a pick 80 and worth another year of development at this stage.

kruder
23-08-2018, 10:39 PM
I wish Lukas Webb was given the consistent run of opportunities that have been given to Smith and Honey this year.

Doc26
23-08-2018, 10:39 PM
I'm convinced I'm on my own so haven't said anything, but I see a bit in Smith. Every now and then he has a moment where he thinks through a decision really well and executes...he is very raw, but I'm comfortable with trying to develop him because he can end up a type who has a reasonable peak and becomes a solid contributor.

Better than we'll get a pick 80 and worth another year of development at this stage.

No you’re not on your own Go_Dogs. Crozier was similarly slammed on this site not too many weeks back before given enough time

Go_Dogs
23-08-2018, 10:44 PM
No you’re not on your own Go_Dogs. Crozier was similarly slammed on this site before given enough time.

Agreed. Crozier and Suckling are two of the players I've been most impressed with in a disappointing year, both took a while to find their feet with the Dogs + impress supporters and will remain polarising. I'm quietly backing in Smith to do the same.

Bullies
24-08-2018, 09:21 AM
Smith hopefully getting a farewell game. that is all I can think as to why he is in.

EasternWest
24-08-2018, 09:58 AM

No I don't mind Smith either. I mean, I don't see him as critical to our future, so if he's delisted at season's end it won't worry me. But I'd be happy enough to keep him on.

jeemak
24-08-2018, 11:31 AM
I've seen the talent in Smith. Not sure he can capitalise on it but it's worth giving him a shot in my view. He's come back from multiple knee reconstructions and is extremely raw.

After a full and strong preseason I'd need to see a marked improvement, but happy to give him the opportunity.

bulldogsthru&thru
24-08-2018, 11:42 AM
Surprised Bont is playing tbh.....sounded like he needed a rest. At least we know we're not throwing in the towel like Freo. Tigers also bring back Cotchin and Prestia so don't expect them to go easy.

Ozza
24-08-2018, 11:55 AM
Surprised Bont is playing tbh.....sounded like he needed a rest. At least we know we're not throwing in the towel like Freo. Tigers also bring back Cotchin and Prestia so don't expect them to go easy.

Wouldn't be surprised if Bont is a late out. I think with Bont - you give him every chance, and in any case probably don't announce he is out on a Thursday unless he's an extremely obvious out. Bit like the swans and Buddy this week - let the opposition plan for both scenarios.

GVGjr
24-08-2018, 12:20 PM
Smith looks like he could be a player but the problem is he hasn't performed like a senior player.

I fully expect him to be upgraded but given he is very much a defender and we are flush for them could we not use the spot on the list a bit better?

Mofra
24-08-2018, 01:07 PM
Bont is a 'play at all costs' type of player though, he's tough. I suspect if there's a chance he could get on the paddock he'd want every available minute to do so.

The Bulldogs Bite
24-08-2018, 01:31 PM
Smith looks like he could be a player but the problem is he hasn't performed like a senior player.

I fully expect him to be upgraded but given he is very much a defender and we are flush for them could we not use the spot on the list a bit better?

I don't see it with Smith.

Not a bad athlete but I haven't seen any signs to suggest he can become a good AFL senior player.

Play somebody long enough and you are bound to see one or two pieces of good play, but on the body of work I've seen he isn't overly quick or strong, doesn't read the play better-than-average and isn't an attacking weapon.

'm not sure what strengths he has that can position him in a best 22 of any AFL side, let alone be worthwhile keeping as depth.

As you touch on GVG, surely we can use his spot on the list to better effect.

hujsh
24-08-2018, 01:39 PM
I don't see it with Smith.

Not a bad athlete but I haven't seen any signs to suggest he can become a good AFL senior player.

Play somebody long enough and you are bound to see one or two pieces of good play, but on the body of work I've seen he isn't overly quick or strong, doesn't read the play better-than-average and isn't an attacking weapon.

'm not sure what strengths he has that can position him in a best 22 of any AFL side, let alone be worthwhile keeping as depth.

As you touch on GVG, surely we can use his spot on the list to better effect.

He seems like a shorter less athletic Easton Wood who's not as good at getting to and impacting aerial contests. Equally as dubious by foot and one sided though.

I thought people went early on Williams but I agree with the consensus on Smith. Doesn't look like making it. Baring sudden improvement as he enters his second year back from the knee reco it's hard to see that changing.

Axe Man
24-08-2018, 02:05 PM
Completely agree with TBB and hujsh, I have never seen anything that suggests he will be a player. Many players more promising than Roarke haven't made it.

bornadog
24-08-2018, 07:11 PM
How many senior games has Smith played??????

GVGjr
24-08-2018, 08:16 PM
How many senior games has Smith played??????

11 games so far, 10 this year if you include tomorrow

He averages just 5 kicks a game this year although there was one game were he didn't record a kick due to injury. He's never had a game where he has had double figure kicks. He averages about 1.5 tackles a game

Webb has had a mare of a season and has a similar stat line to Smith and yet had many calling for him to be dropped through the season and he is now regarded as expendable. In contrast many believe Smith should be upgraded

Both players were drafted in 2015.

bornadog
24-08-2018, 08:20 PM

He averages just 5 kicks a game this year although there was one game were he didn't record a kick due to injury. He's never had a game where he has had double figure kicks. He averages about 1.5 tackles a game

Webb has had a mare of a season and has a similar stat line to Smith and yet had many calling for him to be dropped through the season and he is now regarded as expendable. In contrast many believe Smith should be upgraded

Stats are different if you play defence v mid

ratsmac
24-08-2018, 10:13 PM

If we were to keep one of Webb and Smith on the list only , it's Webb all day long for me. At least Webb dominates at Footscray and looks like a player. Smith plays average at the lower level from what seen and very average at the top level.

The Bulldogs Bite
24-08-2018, 10:15 PM

At AFL level Webb played predominantly half forward. Lot easier to get kicks at half back and if you struggle to find the ball at half back you really shouldn’t be on an afl list

bornadog
24-08-2018, 11:04 PM
At AFL level Webb played predominantly half forward. Lot easier to get kicks at half back and if you struggle to find the ball at half back you really shouldn’t be on an afl list

Depends on your role too. Have a look at Moz's stats. In general though I agree.

GVGjr
24-08-2018, 11:54 PM

I'd argue that when Webb played as a defender he got a lot more of the ball, Webb has also spent a bit of time as a forward

Either way, there is nothing in the stats line that supports a Smith promotion, I'm not saying he won't be promoted but it would clearly be a captains call not one based on form.

bornadog
25-08-2018, 02:09 PM
I'd argue that when Webb played as a defender he got a lot more of the ball, Webb has also spent a bit of time as a forward

Either way, there is nothing in the stats line that supports a Smith promotion, I'm not saying he won't be promoted but it would clearly be a captains call not one based on form.

Smith averaging 11.7 and Webb averaged 10.9 in his year in the backline

Mantis
25-08-2018, 02:21 PM
This ‘how many games have you played’ is a load of horse shit.

Whilst it does take time to become an important and consistent contributor, it doesn’t take time to have an impact and show some positive signs. I would think in about 5% of the times Smith has either had the ball or been around the ball he has shown he is capable at AFL level... which isn’t enough.

Whilst injuries have robbed of his natural physical attributes, he is now slow for his size, lacks agility, is horribly one-sided (which is hard to hide when you aren’t quick) and lacks poise... I’m almost certain he will be around next year, but I don’t see the final product being a good performer in a good team.

GVGjr
25-08-2018, 02:31 PM
Smith averaging 11.7 and Webb averaged 10.9 in his year in the backline

So that one possession is the reason why Smith should be promoted and Webb delisted?

Like Mantis said, I'd nearly bet on the fact that Smith will be promoted but I'm not seeing a clear cut reason why he should be

bornadog
25-08-2018, 02:46 PM
So that one possession is the reason why Smith should be promoted and Webb delisted?

Like Mantis said, I'd nearly bet on the fact that Smith will be promoted but I'm not seeing a clear cut reason why he should be

did I say he should be prompted? I really havent thought about it.

GVGjr
25-08-2018, 03:38 PM
did I say he should be prompted? I really havent thought about it.

I'm not sure but you have been damning with Webb for a similar stat line

MrMahatma
25-08-2018, 11:58 PM
I'm not sure but you have been damning with Webb for a similar stat line

If we're fair dinkum, neither should be on the list.

With Biggs, Red, C Smith retiring, and maybe Dahl and Roughie moving on, one of Webb or Roark may survive. I'd be content with a deep cut to the list this year though.