PDA

View Full Version : Pick 7

Pages : 1 [2]

bulldogtragic
18-10-2018, 10:12 PM
Duursma is a fine player but his kicking is just a bit off the mark for mine. He's more of a defender than midfielder but that won't stop him developing into a midfielder.

Regarding West, how is height a weakness for a midfielder?

Tweet him and find out. I'm certainly not sure?!?

GVGjr
18-10-2018, 10:20 PM
Tweet him and find out. I'm certainly not sure?!?
I might have to :)

He measured in at the combine at 180.9cm and 81.5kg, he did exceptionally well in the agility test and his vertical leap was right up there as well. Seems like a strange comment, certainly for Caleb Daniel but not for West I would have thought.

bulldogtragic
18-10-2018, 10:24 PM
I might have to :)

He measured in at the combine at 180.9cm and 81.5kg, he did exceptionally well in the agility test and his vertical leap was right up there as well. Seems like a strange comment, certainly for Caleb Daniel but not for West I would have thought.

Yep. 181cm is perhaps on the smaller side, but not weakness level small. Or maybe it's not a weakness. You'd think he might still have 2-3cm still to grow. Looking like 183-184cm and 85-90kg with good agility doesn't sound like a weakness to me. He's already taller and heavier than his father during his peak playing days!

divvydan
18-10-2018, 10:28 PM
I've asked him on his BF thread, will reply back here if he answers. He's usually pretty good at responding over there.

GVGjr
18-10-2018, 10:37 PM
I've asked him on his BF thread, will reply back here if he answers. He's usually pretty good at responding over there.

Thanks, I think he mentioned height as a weakness against a couple of players so it might be interesting to hear what he means by it

I guess if you are very much a ground level player because you don't have great athleticism height might be an issue but from what I've seen of West he can hold his own in marking contests and his combine results were impressive.

FrediKanoute
18-10-2018, 11:01 PM
So are we rebuilding because the strong argument for Wingard was that we had enough emerging talent?

I think we can all agree that Pick 7 is going to be awesome for us. West should be as well but it could all drop off a bit after that if someone bids at pick 16# or so for West.

Should we consider going into deficit for West and just adding the best players at 7, 27 and 32 this year? Having 4 top 30's talent would be a great news story for the club and members.

We are not in a rebuild. Carlton is in a rebuild, Brisbane are in a rebuild, Gold Coast are in a build )though the builder has absconded with all the building money and the building materials), The Hawks and Geelong are in denial.

We are in a list consolidation process - realignment of goals and personnel - we will play finals next year and we will be the team that no one wants to meet in the finals - Pick 7 will be a gun

divvydan
18-10-2018, 11:21 PM

Here's his reply. Doesn't really go into detail but more an overall picture.

180cm is still fine, it's just below average for a modern midfielder. It's one of those things where if he was 190cm, he'd be a clear top-10 choice and pushing up towards the top-five.

I view West overall as underrated. His U18 Champs were outstanding and his performances were of a near Bailey Smith level (which is saying something as I regard Smith as the best mid this year).

West don't have any glaring holes in his game. Good ball winner. Capable ball user. Moves fine and has a small burst of speed. Clubs likely are thinking - average height, probably lacking that something that really separates him.

In any case, I see him as a great value choice for the Dogs with a bid to come later than should be the case. I also see him develop himself into a best 22 player and a good 3rd option through the midfield.

Greystache
18-10-2018, 11:46 PM
Regarding West, how is height a weakness for a midfielder?

At a guess, height means weight without having to be bulky, which most likely means being harder to knock off the ball. A 190cm player can play at 90kg and still be agile, a 180cm player who's 90kg is likely to be hampered by mobility.

SquirrelGrip
18-10-2018, 11:47 PM

It’s ludicrous. Both Sam Walsh and Bailey Smith are 183cm and both are touted at the pointy end,

Doc26
19-10-2018, 12:13 AM
Jack Viney is 178cm and 87kg.

Don’t see his height hampering his effect in the midfield

bulldogtragic
19-10-2018, 12:38 AM
I would say yes to this, it would set us up beautifully for the future.

How big is the deficit and what impact if our first pick was around pick 6 again? Just trying to understand.

GVGjr
19-10-2018, 12:42 AM

Thanks for arranging a response. Yep, he doesn't really go into detail of why height is an issue for West and on top of that he may well be right that West doesn't have that one thing that screams out for clubs to pick him over others.

He should be a solid addition for us and I hope we can add some good players around him and whoever we take at pick 7.

ratsmac
19-10-2018, 01:45 AM
Caleb Daniel's height is his strength more than a weakness the way he plays. West's so called lack of height weakness is only relevant if height was needed for the position he plays.

divvydan
19-10-2018, 01:50 AM
I remember reading/watching/listening (can't remember which) the club's thought process when taking Caleb Daniel and part of was determining what position(s) he could play and within that discussion, they ruled him out as an inside midfielder due to his size, so clearly we have a minimum size requirement to play that role.

FrediKanoute
19-10-2018, 03:11 AM
It’s ludicrous. Both Sam Walsh and Bailey Smith are 183cm and both are touted at the pointy end,

The reason I see West going lower is less about height and more o do with hurt factor. He is a death by a thousand cuts type player. He won win a game off his own boot with a 10 minute burst in a quarter, but will be a big influence in wining a game over 4 quarters.

Compare him to the Bont who in 20 minutes of football can kick 4 goals and assist in another 4 - he physically can win a game virtually single handedly. The main reason is that he is a little one paced. Its not bad/just not what I would prize in a footballer, hence why I think he will go somewhere 15 to 20, maybe a little earlier.

The Adelaide Connection
19-10-2018, 03:20 AM
Dream scenario:
Rozee and Smith are still available at 7. We warn Adelaide that unless they give us 8 and 13 for our 7 and 27 then we will take Rozee.
They give us 8 and 13 and we take Smith. Then we get Hately at 13 just to rub extra Adelaide brand salt into their wounds.

AshMac
19-10-2018, 08:44 AM
I remember reading/watching/listening (can't remember which) the club's thought process when taking Caleb Daniel and part of was determining what position(s) he could play and within that discussion, they ruled him out as an inside midfielder due to his size, so clearly we have a minimum size requirement to play that role.

There’s mention of this in the book “A wink from the universe”.

Dalrymples entire ethos was best player available, not team needs. Apparantly Daniel was a pick bevo questioned and when challenged on it Bevo asked
“where would he go if he was 10cm taller”
Dalrymple: top 10
Bevo: do it

divvydan
19-10-2018, 02:11 PM
Found a bit of it in an article linked from another post here https://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?15902-Western-Bulldogs-youngster-Caleb-Daniel-is-thriving-in-the-AFL

Come draft time in 2014, they put his recruitment down to a science.

There was no question Daniel could play. Coming off an ankle injury, you don’t finish the national championships as the No. 1 ranked player averaging 172 SuperCoach points without ability.

Daniel’s numbers dwarfed the likes of Christian Petracca, Isaac Heeney and Angus Brayshaw and his form continued in 11 SANFL games for South Adelaide.

The Bulldogs knew from Daniel’s family tree he wouldn’t be getting any bigger.

So they examined what impact the lack of inches would have in the AFL.

If he was an inside midfielder or a marking player, he wouldn’t cut it. For that you need body size, and the Dogs were flush for that sort anyway.

But Daniel’s forte was uncontested ball and ground-level play.

And for that, size doesn’t matter. After 22 AFL games, 75 per cent of Daniel’s neat disposals have been in space.
Blessed with little feet, Daniel boasts a quick change of direction which buys extra time to make those clever decisions.
With the height hurdle cleared, Bulldog recruiters engaged some of their smartest football brains to see how he would fit into the gamestyle

Basically they ruled out Daniel as an inside mid but saw him as a potential link man, which was cemented when he ran a 16.1 beep test at the combine.

comrade
20-10-2018, 10:57 AM
The reason I see West going lower is less about height and more o do with hurt factor. He is a death by a thousand cuts type player. He won win a game off his own boot with a 10 minute burst in a quarter, but will be a big influence in wining a game over 4 quarters.

Compare him to the Bont who in 20 minutes of football can kick 4 goals and assist in another 4 - he physically can win a game virtually single handedly. The main reason is that he is a little one paced. Its not bad/just not what I would prize in a footballer, hence why I think he will go somewhere 15 to 20, maybe a little earlier.

The bloke who just won the Brownlow is the epitome of the death by a thousand cuts footballer. Scotty West was the same.

Those types are always required and always undervalued by the public due to the lack of flash. The fact Rhylee has some aerial tricks in his bag is also a big plus.

I'm excited to bring him in.

bulldogtragic
21-10-2018, 11:09 AM
Cal Twomey:

Western Bulldogs

Pick 7: Connor Rozee's brilliant form late in the season for North Adelaide at senior level saw him surge back up the draft order after a middling under-18 championships for South Australia. He can play in all three areas of the ground and excites with his mark and speed. He would add a unique element to the Dogs' forward half if still on the board at their pick.

Around the mark: Bailey Smith, Jye Caldwell, Jordan Clark

GVGjr
21-10-2018, 01:00 PM
Cal Twomey:

Western Bulldogs

Pick 7: Connor Rozee's brilliant form late in the season for North Adelaide at senior level saw him surge back up the draft order after a middling under-18 championships for South Australia. He can play in all three areas of the ground and excites with his mark and speed. He would add a unique element to the Dogs' forward half if still on the board at their pick.

Around the mark: Bailey Smith, Jye Caldwell, Jordan Clark

I can't see us landing Rozee but would be very excited if we did.
Smith, Caldwell and Clark being mentioned as around the mark but not one of the King brothers.

DOG GOD
21-10-2018, 02:00 PM
I’d love to get Rozee, but no way does he get past Port if GC take Rankine

Happy Days
21-10-2018, 07:17 PM
I want Smith and I take it anyone who doesn't hasn't seen his amazing hair, which is somehow tough and classic at the same time and would make him a very on-brand pick for us (Roarke, Ed, Biggs, Libba, Bailey Williams on photo day, etc)

bornadog
21-10-2018, 09:13 PM
I want Smith and I take it anyone who doesn't hasn't seen his amazing hair, which is somehow tough and classic at the same time and would make him a very on-brand pick for us (Roarke, Ed, Biggs, Libba, Bailey Williams on photo day, etc)
Add Wallis as well

EasternWest
21-10-2018, 11:27 PM

I'm considerably less keen on anyone that gets called a "loose unit".

Happy Days
21-10-2018, 11:57 PM
I'm considerably less keen on anyone that gets called a "loose unit".

They're footballers - if they get caught even looking at a beer they're a "loose unit"

EasternWest
22-10-2018, 08:14 AM
They're footballers - if they get caught even looking at a beer they're a "loose unit"

You know exactly the type of character I'm talking about. Don't be obtuse.

AshMac
22-10-2018, 09:08 AM
The bloke who just won the Brownlow is the epitome of the death by a thousand cuts footballer. Scotty West was the same.

Those types are always required and always undervalued by the public due to the lack of flash. The fact Rhylee has some aerial tricks in his bag is also a big plus.

I'm excited to bring him in.

Agree - you need those non-flashy footballers that grind out consistency to be a good team. Flashy players come in and out, both are valuable and win games in different ways.

I also agree that’s exactly why West will slip down the order - probably would have been higher another year. Clearly a ball magnet but there are a bunch of kids with great highlight packages this year. I guess time will tell whether we get a bargain, though personally I’m hoping he slips to pick 75. Not optimistic on that.

Happy Days
22-10-2018, 10:44 AM
You know exactly the type of character I'm talking about. Don't be obtuse.

Is there any available evidence to suggest anything of this nature about Smith?

bulldogsthru&thru
22-10-2018, 11:30 AM
Is there any available evidence to suggest anything of this nature about Smith?

Non at all. In fact he's quite the opposite.

GVGjr
22-10-2018, 11:36 AM
Non at all. In fact he's quite the opposite.

It's been reported that he has an almost obsessive focus on football and keeping himself fit.
There might be an argument that he doesn't have the same level of upside that other players might have due to him being so prepared now but for a team like ours that probably needs more players like this he must be a tempting prospect.

I like players like he, O'Halloran and Duursma that won't be distracted from the job at hand.

Ozza
22-10-2018, 11:44 AM
It's been reported that he has an almost obsessive focus on football and keeping himself fit.
There might be an argument that he doesn't have the same level of upside that other players might have due to him being so prepared now but for a team like ours that probably needs more players like this he must be a tempting prospect.

I like players like he, O'Halloran and Duursma that won't be distracted from the job at hand.

A Devils advocate sort of post - but I guess the other angle on it that I worry about - is players with an obsessive attitude burning out mentally and not having enough balance in their lives. But I guess that is what the Q&A sessions at the combine are for - for clubs to make their own call on each player in this regard.

Mofra
22-10-2018, 11:53 AM
A Devils advocate sort of post - but I guess the other angle on it that I worry about - is players with an obsessive attitude burning out mentally and not having enough balance in their lives. But I guess that is what the Q&A sessions at the combine are for - for clubs to make their own call on each player in this regard.
Dale Morris is still going.
Scott West / Daniel Cross were loved because of that attitude and the guy most of us have at the top of our dream trade list - Josh Kelly - is the same.

GVGjr
22-10-2018, 11:59 AM

I'd rather acknowledge that someone has that trait and put in some steps to manage it rather than back myself to lift the focus on some of the players. In other words it's probably not a bad problem to have and should be manageable.

You want players who are confident but not arrogant, focused but not obsessive, fit in well but not the life of the party and talented not limited but yes, that is what the interview process should hopefully identify.

It's exciting to have an early pick but we do have to nail it.

GVGjr
24-10-2018, 02:27 PM
While I think our midfield badly needs to add some quality players like Bailey Smith I think the better selection at pick 7 would be Ben King if he is available. We just don't have the depth in key position players and we acan acquire good midfielders later in the draft whereas typically there are still plenty of good midfielders available

Pros
He is a versatile tall capable of playing as a forward or more likely as a backman.
He's very competitive when the ball is on the ground.
He's very athletic being an elite sprinter over the 5, 10 and 20 mtr tests at the combine and he measured in at 202cm.

Cons
He might take longer to become a senior player for us as many talls do.
Goal kicking is good but inconsistent

There is plenty of scope for improvement and he should become a quality player.
I won't be disappointed if we select Ben King

bulldogtragic
24-10-2018, 02:35 PM
I’d love to know where the club estimates Kellett, Liberatore & MacPhereon plus our NGA mids. Because if they’re any are first rounders then this year might be the last for a while to draft a top end KPP. This might be an interesting dynamic if King is considered as best available (or close enough).

lemmon
24-10-2018, 03:11 PM
I’d love to know where the club estimates Kellett, Liberatore & MacPhereon plus our NGA mids. Because if they’re any are first rounders then this year might be the last for a while to draft a top end KPP. This might be an interesting dynamic if King is considered as best available (or close enough).

And the 2019 draft more broadly. I can see us being guided by whether next year's first round looks tall or small.

bulldogsthru&thru
24-10-2018, 03:42 PM
I won't be unhappy with King. He's certainly got talent and rare athleticism for someone of his height. If both Smith and Rozee are off the board come our pick, i'd be happy with King. We've lost Roughead, Collins and Redpath as talls with no obvious replacement. Is that a signal of our intentions to draft Ben, who has the potential to play all 3 positions?

Although i don't think we can expect him to play predominately as a forward as we have Schache and should have Boyd down there. So it'd be as a defender (which is his primary position) with the ability to swing forward and play stints in the ruck. Classic Bevo player

lemmon
24-10-2018, 03:49 PM
I won't be unhappy with King. He's certainly got talent and rare athleticism for someone of his height. If both Smith and Rozee are off the board come our pick, i'd be happy with King. We've lost Roughead, Collins and Redpath as talls with no obvious replacement. Is that a signal of our intentions to draft Ben, who has the potential to play all 3 positions?

Although i don't think we can expect him to play predominately as a forward as we have Schache and should have Boyd down there. So it'd be as a defender (which is his primary position) with the ability to swing forward and play stints in the ruck. Classic Bevo player

Completely agree. I'd be pretty happy to grab whichever of the super seven slip through and missing out on Wingard isn't the worst thing in the world.

Each of Smith, King or Rozee brings something that we need and look like they'll be pretty good AFL players. Combine that with West and Buku Khamis and we're looking at a really exciting crop of highly touted youngsters.

Twodogs
24-10-2018, 06:26 PM
I'd be very happy with one of the Kings. If we can't have any of the highlight packages on wheels that players like Rozee or Smith provide I would be very happy with one of the Kings.

Do we take one of the Kings with half a mind to the future hoping the other brother wants to come back (after satisfying his initial contract of course :cool:) and play with his brother? That might solve the dearth of key possie players in the next few drafts.

bulldogsthru&thru
24-10-2018, 07:20 PM
I'd be very happy with one of the Kings. If we can't have any of the highlight packages on wheels that players like Rozee or Smith provide I would be very happy with one of the Kings.

Do we take one of the Kings with half a mind to the future hoping the other brother wants to come back (after satisfying his initial contract of course :cool:) and play with his brother? That might solve the dearth of key possie players in the next few drafts.
I think we will have the problem not the attraction. The Kings are big saints fans and from all reports the saints will look to take Max with pick 4

Go_Dogs
24-10-2018, 08:04 PM
Good call on Ben King GVGJr.

He's not top of my list, but from a list management/balance perspective he does make quite a lot of sense for us. I'm sure he's one of the players we are looking at very closely because there seems to be a number of scenarios where he may be the one from the "top 7" that is available for our selection. His versatility would be a good asset, and we can balance his selection with West and another running player in the second round.

bulldogtragic
24-10-2018, 08:48 PM
I think we will have the problem not the attraction. The Kings are big saints fans and from all reports the saints will look to take Max with pick 4

I don't care how young he was. Anyone who cheered Nick Riewoldt goaling after halftime a decade ago in a prelim fails the quality person test.

They split the Wakelins when it suited them, so I'd be wary about romanticising being at Moorabbin with your brother.

kruder
24-10-2018, 08:53 PM

Any idea how tall the boys are?

kruder
24-10-2018, 08:55 PM
While I think our midfield badly needs to add some quality players like Bailey Smith I think the better selection at pick 7 would be Ben King if he is available. We just don't have the depth in key position players and we acan acquire good midfielders later in the draft whereas typically there are still plenty of good midfielders available

Pros
He is a versatile tall capable of playing as a forward or more likely as a backman.
He's very competitive when the ball is on the ground.
He's very athletic being an elite sprinter over the 5, 10 and 20 mtr tests at the combine and he measured in at 202cm.

Cons
He might take longer to become a senior player for us as many talls do.
Goal kicking is good but inconsistent

There is plenty of scope for improvement and he should become a quality player.
I won't be disappointed if we select Ben King

Any idea about his endurance?

Dry Rot
24-10-2018, 09:11 PM
Have read some well based intel on BF from an Eagles fan that we are really into Clark for pick #7.

Seen some highlights - very good kick. Anyone know anything about him?

bulldogtragic
24-10-2018, 09:22 PM
Any idea how tall the boys are?

At the begining of the year:

Kellett 175cm
Liberatore (u/k, but he's a mid)
MacPherson 178cm (a year younger)

Sam Darcy 180cm+ (14 years old)

GVGjr
24-10-2018, 09:40 PM
Any idea about his endurance?

Not great but bigger players rarely have it
His Yo Yo test was poor

Some of his sprint times
5m 1.04 95%

10m 1.72 97%

20m 2.97 86%

The ranking % is very high for a player who is 202cm

I'll see if I can find his 2km time

Doc26
24-10-2018, 11:03 PM
I will not at all be unhappy with Ben King as I suspect Bailey Smith will be taken before pick 7.

However if Smith is somehow still sitting there at 7 and we don’t grab him with both hands I feel that we will have made a bad mistake, particularly for a side screaming out for an elite outside midfielder who can break lines.

If Walsh wasn’t in this draft, Smith may well be the number 1 selection this year. I’m betting he will go at GCS’s pick 6 unless he’s strongly strongly discouraged them not to pick him.

With that said happy to take Ben King at 7 as he will also be an invaluable key swingman.

The Underdog
24-10-2018, 11:09 PM
I’m fine with King as a pick but the obvious argument for Smith is that he adds to our enviable stash of Bailey’s

GVGjr
25-10-2018, 10:11 AM
I will not at all be unhappy with Ben King as I suspect Bailey Smith will be taken before pick 7.

However if Smith is somehow still sitting there at 7 and we don’t grab him with both hands I feel that we will have made a bad mistake, particularly for a side screaming out for an elite outside midfielder who can break lines.

If Walsh wasn’t in this draft, Smith may well be the number 1 selection this year. I’m betting he will go at GCS’s pick 6 unless he’s strongly strongly discouraged them not to pick him.

With that said happy to take Ben King at 7 as he will also be an invaluable key swingman.

I think that is the right way to look at this, we know we should land a very good player and really it won't matter if it's Smith, Rozee, King, Caldwell or Clark because once we see them in a Bulldog jumper we will instinctively get behind them.

I remember some comments about the likely Naughton selection 12 months ago with the view that we didn't need another key defender because we already had enough of them. He quickly won us over though and is very much one of the first players we think of when suggesting our back 6 for 2019.

I enjoy reading how we all see this playing out for us and knowing that once a player is selected we will all get behind him.

bulldogsthru&thru
26-10-2018, 09:25 AM
So after the BTC deslisting, is anyone else sensing Ben King is a fait accompli?

We are very light on for talls and our backup is no longer. King would give us great flexibility to rotate Trengove, Boyd and English through the ruck and other positions as the kid can play forward and back exceptionally well. It's a lot to ask a first year 202cm beanpole but unless we sign a state league ruck we've lost our backup options for talls in the forward half, back half and now the ruck,

GVGjr
26-10-2018, 09:38 AM
So after the BTC deslisting, is anyone else sensing Ben King is a fait accompli?

We are very light on for talls and our backup is no longer. King would give us great flexibility to rotate Trengove, Boyd and English through the ruck and other positions as the kid can play forward and back exceptionally well. It's a lot to ask a first year 202cm beanpole but unless we sign a state league ruck we've lost our backup options for talls in the forward half, back half and now the ruck,

I don't think Campbell would have played much next year anyway and I think our focus at pick 7 will simply be the best player. King makes sense for us though given he is a quality and versatile tall. I'm not sure how he would go in a rucking capacity because he lacks the muscle, size and even his endurance level but perhaps in time he could take a turn in the ruck.

bulldogsthru&thru
26-10-2018, 09:43 AM
I don't think Campbell would have played much next year anyway and I think our focus at pick 7 will simply be the best player. King makes sense for us though given he is a quality and versatile tall. I'm not sure how he would go in a rucking capacity because he lacks the muscle, size and even his endurance level but perhaps in time he could take a turn in the ruck.

I was more alluding to our list moves indicating we plan to take Ben rather than taking Ben to fill gaps on our list.....if that makes sense.

I wouldn't expect Ben to play ruck, but him being able to play forward and back gives Boyd and Trengove the capacity to play ruck relief for English but also allowing us to have tall coverage both up forward and in defence when those players have to chop out. It is interesting though as all of Boyd, Schache, Trengove, English and King are best 22 players on potential. Is that too tall? We do need state league talent as backup. It's going to be an interesting night come the draft.

Mofra
26-10-2018, 11:46 AM
Ben King (and I do note our 'dud brother curse') might be our last chance at getting elite young tall talent until Jarrad Ugle-Hagen is available as an NGA selection in a couple of years.

We will be flush with FS & NGA selections in 2019 & 2020. The McPherson boy will be a large bodied mid at least, 190cm mid at age 16

kruder
26-10-2018, 08:35 PM
Is there any vision of Caldwell yet?

divvydan
26-10-2018, 09:22 PM
Probably very little vision of Cadwell around publicly since he missed most of the year through injury.

Edit: Couldn't find any videos of him from last year either.

bornadog
27-10-2018, 12:29 AM
Some discussion with nightmare I had on twitter

Pick 7-

Dogs will hope Bailey Smith falls to 7, if not, King is the best available and viewed as that last of the top tier. Caldwell/Clark would be the other likely considerations if this was the way the top 6 were to play out.

Will GC pick the King Brothers:

With Gold Coast taking the x3 KPPs from the state leagues I suspect not, having been linked mostly to Lukosius and Rozee of late. Not out of the question though as they need so many they could take Lukosius and both King's if they really wanted.

One trick with KPP recruitment is you'll have good KPPs available every year up the pointy end, so if you're projecting to stay down as Gold Coast do, if they're smart, they only take Lukosius and wait for another year until there is another KPP who is clear best available.

AshMac
29-10-2018, 09:42 AM
Some discussion with nightmare I had on twitter

Pick 7-

Will GC pick the King Brothers:

Thanks for sharing that!

BornInDroopSt'54
22-11-2018, 05:26 AM
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/dogs-pick-to-be-first-trade-target-20181121-p50hg7.html
Hope this is not firewalled.
Basically Gleeson is suggesting we will trade pick 7 because we are confident we'll still get Smith with a later pick.

GVGjr
22-11-2018, 07:18 AM
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/dogs-pick-to-be-first-trade-target-20181121-p50hg7.html
Hope this is not firewalled.
Basically Gleeson is suggesting we will trade pick 7 because we are confident we'll still get Smith with a later pick.

It's an interesting suggestion and there are positives and negatives in doing that.
I guess if it worked it would be a great start to Powers career as a list manager.

Bulldog Revolution
22-11-2018, 01:15 PM
It's an interesting suggestion and there are positives and negatives in doing that.
I guess if it worked it would be a great start to Powers career as a list manager.

It would be a smash hit to trade down, get Smith and another top 20 prospect

bulldogsthru&thru
22-11-2018, 01:20 PM
It would be a smash hit to trade down, get Smith and another top 20 prospect

It’d be a home run

However trading down and losing Smith/King/Caldwell would be like grounding out into a double play

divvydan
22-11-2018, 01:54 PM
So what would it take? 7 + 27 for 10 + 15? 11+ 19? 13+16? The further down we drop the first pick, the less likely the player we want will be there, especially if we drop below Geelong's pick at 12, so that probably rules out 13+16. Is 19 too high a risk of a bid on West? Seems less likely given he wasn't invited to the first night of the trade but if Richmond bid on him at 17, we'd probably have to take him.

Makes 10+15 seem the most likely but that's a big drop for Port in the 2nd pick. The only way they would do it is if they were desperate to get someone ahead of Adelaide that they didn't go for at pick 5.

bulldogtragic
22-11-2018, 03:07 PM
So what would it take? 7 + 27 for 10 + 15? 11+ 19? 13+16? The further down we drop the first pick, the less likely the player we want will be there, especially if we drop below Geelong's pick at 12, so that probably rules out 13+16. Is 19 too high a risk of a bid on West? Seems less likely given he wasn't invited to the first night of the trade but if Richmond bid on him at 17, we'd probably have to take him.

Makes 10+15 seem the most likely but that's a big drop for Port in the 2nd pick. The only way they would do it is if they were desperate to get someone ahead of Adelaide that they didn't go for at pick 5.

If there is to a be a trade down, I agree that 10 & 15 is the only really viable option for the risks you point out.

So we'd have to put up 7 & 27. And then I think some things need to fall:

A kid Port desperately wants is still there at pick 7. Hypothetically say Rozee.
A three pick upgrade in the top 10 is big, but not huge.
Our pick 27 is probably out to pick 30-31 with academy and FS selections (West, Blakey, Quaynor, Thomas etc).
So they're dropping from pick 15 to pick 30-31 for that three pick upgrade. Not enough.
But if the player available gets them talking, I've read a few times Port need heaps of draft points next year. Maybe we can offer up one of our two 2019 third rounders (either our natural, or the Hawks), or look at a 2019 pick swap that they think bridge the gap.

As a pure theoretical exercise, it'd be 7, 27 & 2019 3rd - for - 10 & 15.

Remi Moses
22-11-2018, 05:40 PM
It’d be a home run

However trading down and losing Smith/King/Caldwell would be like grounding out into a double play

Well put.

westdog54
25-11-2018, 11:02 PM
It’d be a home run

I would have said it would be like hitting a line drive to 2nd base on a hit and run for an unassisted triple play.