PDA

View Full Version : 2018 AFL -Trade Rumours and Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Mofra
04-10-2018, 12:22 PM
Heard on triple M that we have interest in Menzel (geelong) (knee). Lloyd Menzel and Wingard. I think we have identified that scoring is a problem.
We certanly have, correctly IMO.
Menzel is a real talent but has the defensive capabilities of 1939 France.

Ghost Dog
04-10-2018, 12:30 PM
I actually heard a story the other day ( can’t remember where ) that journos make up false twitter accounts with big stories then they go back on their real twitter account denying the story so they get attention and readers.

I am naive enough to have not realised this was the case. Of course! makes sense.

Axe Man
04-10-2018, 12:39 PM
I actually heard a story the other day ( can’t remember where ) that journos make up false twitter accounts with big stories then they go back on their real twitter account denying the story so they get attention and readers.

So the Bamien Darrett account I've been following isn't a real person?

Axe Man
04-10-2018, 12:41 PM
Geelong have reportedly told Daniel Menzel, Jordan Murdoch and Jackson Thurlow to explore their options.

EasternWest
04-10-2018, 12:41 PM
So the Bamien Darrett account I've been following isn't a real person?

It's tradeguru69's alt.

craigsahibee
04-10-2018, 12:47 PM

Gold.

In all seriousness though. I sincerely hope we pass on Menzel.

The Bulldogs Bite
04-10-2018, 01:21 PM
If Menzel is one of the last spots on the list I'm happy to do it.

If he's fit, he's most likely in our best 22. For his lack of defensive pressure, he can be a 35-40 goal forward.

Obviously has his flaws (injury and defensive pressure) but if we are giving up nothing but a list spot then it's not the worst idea.

bulldogtragic
04-10-2018, 01:36 PM
Menzel as a DFA. One year. Minimal wage. I could be convinced. Anything more that, tests my ability to be convinced.

westdog54
04-10-2018, 02:35 PM

I was having a hit in the nets with a mate a few years back, he told me "you defend your stumps like the French". It was the best sledge I've ever been on the end of.

Grantysghost
04-10-2018, 02:38 PM
I was having a hit in the nets with a mate a few years back, he told me "you defend your stumps like the French". It was the best sledge I've ever been on the end of.

Should've retorted by suggesting he study the battle of the Marne.

westdog54
04-10-2018, 02:40 PM
Should've retorted by suggesting he study the battle of the Marne.

If I was a history nerd I probably would have. 😁

Grantysghost
04-10-2018, 02:46 PM
If I was a history nerd I probably would have. ��

My secret shame :cool:

DOG GOD
04-10-2018, 04:09 PM
Lloyd and Menzel ? Give me strength

bornadog
04-10-2018, 05:18 PM

No room for both

ratsmac
04-10-2018, 05:53 PM

Can we merge them into one player? :D

EasternWest
04-10-2018, 06:03 PM
Can we merge them into one player? :D

Maybe. But he'd probably look like a Menzelloyd.

hujsh
04-10-2018, 06:19 PM
Maybe. But he'd probably look like a Menzelloyd.

All fear Menzelloyd!

http://auth.denofgeek.us/sites/denofgeekus/files/styles/insert_main_wide_image/public/pulgasari.jpg?itok=JcIX0RiU

EasternWest
04-10-2018, 06:37 PM
All fear Menzelloyd!

http://auth.denofgeek.us/sites/denofgeekus/files/styles/insert_main_wide_image/public/pulgasari.jpg?itok=JcIX0RiU

Chortle.

Happy Days
04-10-2018, 07:42 PM
I was thinking more of these guys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2tZqXWa7no

azabob
04-10-2018, 08:17 PM
Reality is Menzel would be a walk up start, would win our goal kicking by a long way and actually can kick straight.

FrediKanoute
04-10-2018, 10:49 PM
Reality is Menzel would be a walk up start, would win our goal kicking by a long way and actually can kick straight.

provided he stays on the park long enough......and that there is why Geelong are happy for him to test the market

Ozza
04-10-2018, 10:59 PM
I’m not saying that I want to get Menzel (particularly if we’re getting Lloyd)....but lets not be rude about him!!

Would have won our goal kicking last year easily with 19 games. And would have won it this year in 13 games.

Scraggers
04-10-2018, 11:31 PM
I would prefer neither, but if we have to make a choice I would take Menzel before Lloyd. I think he adds better experience to our forward line than Lloyd does.

In saying that, Mark Stevens has kyboshed the Menzel rumour.

soupman
05-10-2018, 12:30 AM
Menzel before Lloyd? No way.

What does Beveridge like in a player? Versatility, ability to work hard defensively and work rate. These are all weak points of Menzel. Lloyd may be uninspiring, but he fits those three criteria and as an added bonus has working knees.

I think Lloyd will be a regular next season and will be good. He can play through the middle, which we need as we lack depth, he has finishing ability, and has smarts.

Grantysghost
05-10-2018, 12:24 PM
Conca to Freo on 3 year deal. End of second round compensation. You would expect we will be compensated better than that ? Or is that wishful thinking.

Edit : For Dalhaus.

bulldogtragic
05-10-2018, 12:30 PM
Conca to Freo on 3 year deal. End of second round compensation. You would expect we will be compensated better than that ? Or is that wishful thinking.

You'd think our worst case is at second round, currently 25. Especially with an extra year and assuming a fair bit more money. But will get pushed out by other compo. I'm still wishfully thinking end of first round if the offer is good enough to justify them making up an end of first for us (pick 19 pushed out by Lynch compo).

Axe Man
05-10-2018, 01:08 PM

That compensation for Conca is just theoretical really - Richmond won't receive it after bringing in Lynch.

What $$$ is Conca supposedly getting? The latest estimate I saw on Dahl was only $450K. Conca and Dahlhaus are the same age, which is important to the compensation. Unfortunately contract length is not important so if Conca is on similar money to Dahl get ready for an end of second round pick.

Doc26
05-10-2018, 02:18 PM
You'd think our worst case is at second round, currently 25. Especially with an extra year and assuming a fair bit more money. But will get pushed out by other compo. I'm still wishfully thinking end of first round if the offer is good enough to justify them making up an end of first for us (pick 19 pushed out by Lynch compo).

If we can make some noise about making a trade with our Comp pick to the Suns it could easily become a first rounder with their secret formula.

Say May to us, if he wants out, send them Adams and an AFL manufactured first rounder for Dahl.

Ghost Dog
05-10-2018, 02:23 PM
"The Cats were not happy with Dahlhaus' social media stoush with former Bulldogs skipper Robert Murphy while on leave recently, but the new recruit was on the front foot after the incident to apologise for his actions."

So there. Git.

Jeanette54
05-10-2018, 02:42 PM
Sad to see Luke go in the circumstances. Our grand final players are getting a wee bit thin on the ground now. That is a lot of big final experience gone from the side.

EasternWest
05-10-2018, 03:00 PM
Sad to see Luke go in the circumstances. Our grand final players are getting a wee bit thin on the ground now. That is a lot of big final experience gone from the side.

Yeah, but we've still got Zaine Cordy and the knee of God, so we'll be right.

bornadog
05-10-2018, 03:32 PM
At least Gold Coast aren't just rolling over:

MoreWe have received notification of the contract offer from Richmond for Tom Lynch.

We have three days to make a decision on whether to match the offer or not.

SlimPickens
05-10-2018, 03:35 PM
At least Gold Coast aren't just rolling over:

I hope they match it and go really hard at the tigers. Time for the Suns to show something, even if it's off the field!

Axe Man
05-10-2018, 03:42 PM
There's more chance of Dahl kicking 80.0, all from outside 50, to win the Coleman next year than Gold Coast matching for Lynch.

bornadog
05-10-2018, 04:09 PM
I hope they match it and go really hard at the tigers. Time for the Suns to show something, even if it's off the field!

They would lose compensation of pick 3, so big risk

Twodogs
05-10-2018, 05:55 PM

They might get more back if they did. They could easily demand two first rounders for a player of Tom Lynch's quality and if Lynch was the sort of quality individual that Richmond obviously think he is then that's what Lynch should be holdingout for too.

bornadog
05-10-2018, 05:58 PM
They might get more back if they did. They could easily demand two first rounders for a player of Tom Lynch's quality and if Lynch was the sort of quality individual that Richmond obviously think he is then that's what Lynch should be holdingout for too.

I guess that is what they are weighing up. Would be good if they went for it as Richmond come out of this with a free player, and the rest of the clubs lose a placein the drfat order - #UNFAIR

SlimPickens
05-10-2018, 06:00 PM

I don’t think it matters. They need to grandstand big time. Ask for seriously good players and picks. Stand for something! Their club is a joke, time to draw the line.

bornadog
05-10-2018, 06:01 PM
I don’t think it matters. They need to grandstand big time. Ask for seriously good players and picks. Stand for something! Their club is a joke, time to draw the line.

I agree, but will they have the balls.

DOG GOD
05-10-2018, 07:29 PM
I agree, but will they have the balls.

No they won’t.

Remi Moses
05-10-2018, 09:24 PM
Geelong are a pack of hypocrites
Quite happy to play the “come home “ card to Ablett , yet get shirty when one of their own wants to go back to Perth .

Rocket Science
05-10-2018, 09:53 PM
Geelong are a pack of hypocrites
Quite happy to play the “come home “ card to Ablett , yet get shirty when one of their own wants to go back to Perth .

Not to mention a certain bloke named Dangerfield.

bornadog
05-10-2018, 09:54 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DovJNBuVAAAdBrg.jpg

Who is the trade whisper?

EasternWest
05-10-2018, 09:58 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DovJNBuVAAAdBrg.jpg

Who is the trade whisper?

It's tradeguru69's alt.

bulldogtragic
05-10-2018, 10:11 PM
Only so many names rhyme with 'play'. Fair cop.

hujsh
06-10-2018, 01:57 AM
Picks 1 2 and 3 please

bulldogtragic
07-10-2018, 03:51 PM
AFEL dot com dot au

Says Gaff says no to North.

dog town
07-10-2018, 03:56 PM
AFEL dot com dot au

Says Gaff says no to North. Hopefully they don’t try and use that money on Wingard now.

bornadog
07-10-2018, 03:56 PM
AFEL dot com dot au

Says Gaff says no to North.

No one wants to go to NorFFF

divvydan
07-10-2018, 04:00 PM
With the B&F's for most or all clubs now done, we should get some more information about the true intentions of players who have been rumoured to be moving. Think Gaff was always likely to stay if the Eagles offer was big enough. Probably had to wait until it was signed off by the AFL as it has a significant media portion.

bulldogtragic
07-10-2018, 04:18 PM
Hopefully they don’t try and use that money on Gaff now.

I assume you mean Wingard. I think they might be too far back if he decides to leave. But I think Shiel & May would both be in play. The problem for them is what they've got to trade with. I'm assuming they thought the dollars would be such that WCE would not contest free agency and not force a trade. They have to give up pick 10 for Polec, that gives then their first rounder next year as the only thing if any real currency.

I joked a while back that if a lack of imagination would bite North:

Wingard - Polec
5/6 years - 5/6 years
$900k - $900k
Pick 7 - Pick 10

I know which I'd rather.

Go_Dogs
07-10-2018, 04:43 PM
Surprise Gaff chose to stay.

Rocket Science
07-10-2018, 04:54 PM
Yes they got Polec, but it warms the heart to have another off-season where Norf get jilted again.

Remi Moses
07-10-2018, 05:32 PM
In baseball parlance Norfies are batting 1 from 20 :D

bornadog
07-10-2018, 06:29 PM
Brad Scott is happy about Gaff :D

https://i.makeagif.com/media/9-20-2015/b4zCVK.gif

ratsmac
07-10-2018, 06:37 PM
You would assume Norf will now throw mega bucks at Kelly again.

Testekill
07-10-2018, 07:01 PM
You would assume Norf will now throw mega bucks at Kelly again.

Or they could try and get Wingard.

Twodogs
07-10-2018, 07:48 PM
Or they could try and get Wingard.

They can try away. We've put the yards in and if Wingard goes to North just because they have offered up more money then we are better off without him.

It's not about houses. It's about winning flags.

ledge
07-10-2018, 08:41 PM
Just saw in the AFL site Adams has requested to go to Brisbane on a 3 year contract , we still have two years , so it will take a decent offer to get him out , they have picks 22 and 40 , their Pick 4 will go for Neale I imagine.

ledge
07-10-2018, 08:50 PM
Could we see MC Stay come into play ?

divvydan
07-10-2018, 08:55 PM
Hoping we get something out of Brisbane this year, not a future pick. If Brisbane have to give pick 22 as well for Neale, I don't think we should let Adams go, unless a third party comes to the trade with a pick or picks from this year.

GVGjr
07-10-2018, 08:55 PM
If the report is accurate I'd like to hear why Adams wants to leave us? Is it purely financial or is there any reason reason why?

The Lions have pick 22 and as much as I'd like to see us play hardball I think we would need to add our pick 42 to the mix to come close to getting the deal done.

If it's not for a draft pick I wonder if we still have an interest in Ben Keays or could it be Sam Mayes?

Remi Moses
07-10-2018, 08:57 PM
If Adams goes we have Collins gone , Morris in his last year and Roberts unlikely .
Dare I say it , do we need another key back ?

Remi Moses
07-10-2018, 08:58 PM
If the report is accurate I'd like to hear why Adams wants to leave us? Is it purely financial or is there any reason reason why?

The Lions have pick 22 and as much as I'd like to see us play hardball I think we would need to add our pick 42 to the mix to come close to getting the deal done.

If it's not for a draft pick I wonder if we still have an interest in Ben Keays or could it be Sam Mayes?
I tend to recall a bid on Keays from us

GVGjr
07-10-2018, 09:02 PM
I tend to recall a bid on Keays from us

Correct. Same year we drafted Dunkley and Collins....and Adams
Adams has played 27 games since we drafted him, Keays has played 28 but only played 2 this year

The Doctor
07-10-2018, 09:02 PM

I wouldn't be giving them anything back. Pick 22 or he stays with us and honors his contract.

We hold the upper hand.

GVGjr
07-10-2018, 09:06 PM
I wouldn't be giving them anything back. Pick 22 or he stays with us and honors his contract.

We hold the upper hand.

Thats why I'd like to hear the reasons why he wants to go. If it's financial then we play hardball if it's something else we might have to be a bit flexible.

Happy Days
07-10-2018, 09:07 PM
If we trade Adams for anything less than 22 its quite frankly a pathetic result.

ledge
07-10-2018, 09:10 PM
If we trade Adams for anything less than 22 its quite frankly a pathetic result.

As I suggested, would you take MCStay ? It might be player swap.

bornadog
07-10-2018, 09:10 PM

Are we overrating him?

Happy Days
07-10-2018, 09:13 PM
Are we overrating him?

We have all of the leverage and he's worth more than their 3rd pick. Doing equity in trades is for losers and gets you nowhere - look at all the good being fair with Essendon in the Crameri trade did us with Stringer.

I think Adams is a a good enough talent to persist with through his contract and try to change his mind than to trade away for something adjacent to market rate.

GVGjr
07-10-2018, 09:15 PM
Could be a player trade or a combination of draft picks. I'd be surprised if they parted with pick 22 straight up

I'd have no problems playing hard ball with him either. At some time a club has to take a stand

ratsmac
07-10-2018, 09:15 PM
Are we overrating him?

Maybe, but Brisbane have a player wanting to go to them instead of leaving them. That alone in this day and age adds more value from our POV.

Dancin' Douggy
07-10-2018, 09:17 PM
I'm actually not surprised Go dogs.
I thought, watching his body language and the complete and utter devastation you could see on his face, that he was deeply disturbed and repentant for his actions
And to me, it wasn't just about being disappointed at missing the flag. It seemed much bigger and deeper.

He looked completely hollow, broken, ashamed and haunted.

To pack your bags and leave the scene of the crime for a truckload of money and 'geographical safety' and play for another team in Melbourne I don't think was going to satisfy his need for forgiveness and repentance.

I absolutely think it's the right thing to stay and I really admire him for it.
I think it would have been wrong to run away.

He's gonna stay in Perth, face the music and redeem himself..........good on him.

I said as much to an eagle supporter I know. I thought he SHOULD and WOULD stay, against everyone's expectations

The Doctor
07-10-2018, 09:18 PM
If Adams goes we have Collins gone , Morris in his last year and Roberts unlikely .
Dare I say it , do we need another key back ?

I made the case for drafting Ben King a while back for much the same reasons.

However if we are happy to let Adams go I hope we have a plan. A plan that involves Steve May!

bulldogtragic
07-10-2018, 09:20 PM
Draw the line.

A. Pick 22, and they can have pick 60 back if anything.
B. Their 2019 1st - for - our 2019 2nd round pick. (3 first rounders Wingard and/or May trade currency)
C. A player we fancy. Cox, McStay, Keays, Mayes.
D. Place fingers and ears and yell 'la la la la, Sammy can't hear you' until either they buckle or the trade period ends.

Happy Days
07-10-2018, 09:20 PM
Could be a player trade or a combination of draft picks. I'd be surprised if they parted with pick 22 straight up

I'd have no problems playing hard ball with him either. At some time a club has to take a stand

There is no reason for us to make this trade for anything less than overs. He's not a toxic presence at the club or anything and he's contracted for a good while.

bulldogtragic
07-10-2018, 09:22 PM
There is no reason for us to make this trade for anything less than overs. He's not a toxic presence at the club or anything and he's contracted for a good while.

Yep. I want our Stew Crameri paid back by anyone because it's the 'right thing'.

GVGjr
07-10-2018, 09:22 PM
Just a hypothetical question but prior to this news about Adams would we have gladly added him to pick 6 to get the deal done for Wingard?

Dancin' Douggy
07-10-2018, 09:23 PM
Are we overrating him?

yes, a bit..........but.....THEY want him. we have to work with what they have..........pick 22 will be overs for sure.........but that's what I would demand.

bulldogtragic
07-10-2018, 09:28 PM
Just a hypothetical question but prior to this news about Adams would we have gladly added him to pick 6 to get the deal done for Wingard?

I'd look to be more creative and try to use him for a swap of next first and second round picks 2019 if we are allowed to do it having traded our second for this year. It costs them nothing this year, plus Neale is made easier for them because of it. They still maintain two second rounders next year.

We could try to keep pick 6, maybe offer Port two 2019 first rounders. Or maybe make a play for May and Wingard with three first rounders up our sleeve as trade currency. If we can find a good trade then we take it, if not, he's due back for preseason training in 6 weeks.

divvydan
07-10-2018, 09:31 PM

Gladly? No, but if Port were really playing hardball and demanding 6 and 25 and the alternative was 6 and Adams then we'd probably be happy enough for that to happen.

I assume you're thinking about Adams to Bris, Mayes to Port and 25 staying with us as the deal?

GVGjr
07-10-2018, 09:36 PM
Gladly? No, but if Port were really playing hardball and demanding 6 and 25 and the alternative was 6 and Adams then we'd probably be happy enough for that to happen.

I assume you're thinking about Adams to Bris, Mayes to Port and 25 staying with us as the deal?

There appears to be a few people more than happy to pay Port more than pick 6 for Wingard, I was just wondering if prior to the news if Port said we want pick six and Adams if we would have been happy enough to do that deal or not?

I know there is a lot of talk about playing hardball with Adams and there are advantages in doing that but most clubs eventually let unhappy players leave. If that is the case, I wonder what a fair deal is for the specimen?

ledge
07-10-2018, 09:42 PM
There appears to be a few people more than happy to pay Port more than pick 6 for Wingard, I was just wondering if prior to the news if Port said we want pick six and Adams if we would have been happy enough to do that deal or not?

I know there is a lot of talk about playing hardball with Adams and there are advantages in doing that but most clubs eventually let unhappy players leave. If that is the case, I wonder what a fair deal is for the specimen?

Fair deal it shouldn’t be, they want him they have obviously offered him more years and more money, we can just say no, it won’t be fair it will be an advantage to us.

SquirrelGrip
07-10-2018, 09:48 PM
Could we see MC Stay come into play ?

Sounds like a good deal to me. Time for Tom Boyd to play Jackson Trengove’s Wingard role for his close old Eastern Ranges mate.

Plus we don’t really have a defender to play on the gorillas and he could fit the bill.

https://youtu.be/JWC8-KLXxBY

Grantysghost
07-10-2018, 10:16 PM
Brisbane - I don't get why he'd prefer them to us. I'm confused.

GVGjr
07-10-2018, 10:30 PM
Brisbane - I don't get why he'd prefer them to us. I'm confused.

Money and a longer contract might be one reason but I wonder if there is something else bubbling away.

ledge
07-10-2018, 10:40 PM
Money and a longer contract might be one reason but I wonder if there is something else bubbling away.
Well he always said he would be happy to stay, maybe it’s us in reality pushing a deal.

Grantysghost
07-10-2018, 10:59 PM

That was my concern. I bought the party boy line for recent departures, but Marcus who I've had some dealings with is a big surprise to me. Solid citizen. Maybe he just needs warmer weather who knows. Hope that's it.

GVGjr
07-10-2018, 11:05 PM
That was my concern. I bought the party boy line for recent departures, but Marcus who I've had some dealings with is a big surprise to me. Solid citizen. Maybe he just needs warmer weather who knows. Hope that's it.

Yep, he seems like a decent and dedicated type. I guess a deal for an extra year could be tempting for him but I hope it's not something internally at the club he isn't comfortable with.

Ghost Dog
08-10-2018, 01:09 AM
yes, a bit..........but.....THEY want him. we have to work with what they have..........pick 22 will be overs for sure.........but that's what I would demand.

As much as Adams is a specimen, I've never been happy with the way he reads the play. We won't get pick 22 for him.

lemmon
08-10-2018, 01:22 AM
I'd prefer a player to a pick. Who's Shache tight with?

EasternWest
08-10-2018, 09:08 AM
I'd prefer a player to a pick. Who's Shache tight with?

Harris Andrews fingers crossed.

Rocket Science
08-10-2018, 10:06 AM
If they take Adams is there legitimately still room for McStay up there?

He's very Adams-like in that he he's been switched between forward and back to mixed effect but a Brisbane supporting mate constantly whines about his kicking so I'm sure we can make room for him.

Twodogs
08-10-2018, 10:08 AM
If they take Adams is there legitimately still room for McStay up there?

He's very Adams-like in that he he's been switched between forward and back to mixed effect but a Brisbane supporting mate constantly whines about his kicking so I'm sure we can make room for him.

He's born to play for us!

bulldogtragic
08-10-2018, 10:27 AM
He's born to play for us!

Not any more. I'm hoping the new Bulldogs being rebuilt incorporates the foot skills in football.

bornadog
08-10-2018, 01:25 PM
Gold Coast confirm they will not match the Richmond offer and Tom Lynch is free to join the Tigers.

Should find out the compo later on.

bornadog
08-10-2018, 03:27 PM
Is this what was meant to be, by AFL?

Geelong have received pre-listed state league player Nathan Kreuger from Carlton in exchange for pick No.42 in next month’s draft.

Kreuger is a 19-year-old key position player who played for South Adelaide in the SANFL this year.

The Cats gave the Blues the third-round pick which they received from the Brisbane Lions in exchange for injury-plagued speedster Lincoln McCarthy on Monday.

Carlton were given rights to state league players this year by the AFL in a bid to fast-track their improvement.

GVGjr
08-10-2018, 03:36 PM

Yes, that was my understanding.

bornadog
08-10-2018, 03:40 PM
Yes, that was my understanding.

I thought Carlton and Suns could have a mature player to keep and help their list, but all they are doing is trading it. if that is what the AFL wanted, then what is the point.

Mofra
08-10-2018, 03:41 PM
I thought Carlton and Suns could have a mature player to keep and help their list
That was my understanding too. Once again the AFL make a decision and don't think of the consequences.

ledge
08-10-2018, 03:53 PM
Sam power has said we will not trade Adams we will hold him to contract .

bornadog
08-10-2018, 03:56 PM
Sam power has said we will not trade Adams we will hold him to contract .

Which means he will be traded. Do you want a player that keeps indicating they want to be traded?

divvydan
08-10-2018, 04:00 PM
Yeah, it basically means we'll trade him but we want a decent offer, more than the current offer.

bornadog
08-10-2018, 04:04 PM
Pick three confirmed for Tom Lynch

The Adelaide Connection
08-10-2018, 05:03 PM
That was my understanding too. Once again the AFL make a decision and don't think of the consequences.

Is there anyone of potential value to us that we could look at throwing Carlton or Gold Coast a pick in the 40's or 60's for?
Sam Collins?
Mitch Grigg?
Cut Adelaide's lunch and get Shane McAdam?
Hayes with one of our 60's picks if we don't think he will last?

The Adelaide Connection
08-10-2018, 05:05 PM
Duplicate post. Browser went nuts.
Sorry.

bornadog
08-10-2018, 05:09 PM
The GIANTS have confirmed Rory Lobb and Will Setterfield have requested trades.

Lobb has chosen Fremantle as his club of choice while Setterfield has nominated Carlton.

Sedat
08-10-2018, 05:09 PM
Setterfield has just nominated Carlton. McGovern already has. Shiel highly likely to. And they poached Andrew Russell from Hawthorn, who is their F&C guru. Blues are going to climb the ladder a lot quicker than people think.

GVGjr
08-10-2018, 05:11 PM
Which means he will be traded. Do you want a player that keeps indicating they want to be traded?

He was never going to say 'Yes he has the whip hand'
This is about trying to maximise the best deal we can get for him if we decide to let him go.

Mofra
08-10-2018, 05:14 PM
Is there anyone of potential value to us that we could look at throwing Carlton or Gold Coast a pick in the 40's or 60's for?
Sam Collins?
Mitch Grigg?
Cut Adelaide's lunch and get Shane McAdam?
Hayes with one of our 60's picks if we don't think he will last?
I'd engineer Hayes for a 60s pick, absolutely yes. Running depth - last year we had Porter as the only running player not listed in the senior team or as an emergency for at least one round.

Having West helps in that regard but we've already committed to Hayes at some point if the rumours are to be believed and our last Footscray VFL prospect turned out better than ok.

bornadog
08-10-2018, 05:15 PM
He was never going to say 'Yes he has the whip hand'
This is about trying to maximise the best deal we can get for him if we decide to let him go.

Exactly. Noble mentioned they had a meeting with the club yesterday, so it is happening.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
08-10-2018, 05:15 PM
Setterfield has just nominated Carlton. McGovern already has. Shiel highly likely to. And they poached Andrew Russell from Hawthorn, who is their F&C guru. Blues are going to climb the ladder a lot quicker than people think.

Why is a long term basketcase like Carlton seen as a 'destination club', yet we struggle to be seen in the same way?

Testekill
08-10-2018, 05:23 PM

How do they intend on getting everything?

Testekill
08-10-2018, 05:24 PM
Why is a long term basketcase like Carlton seen as a 'destination club', yet we struggle to be seen in the same way?

Brown baggers

bornadog
08-10-2018, 05:25 PM
Here are the Suns intentions with mature aged players:

West Adelaide's Chris Burgess and Werribee's Josh Corbett are set to become Gold Coast's first two mature-aged recruits signed as part of the special assistance granted them by the AFL Commission last week.

The Suns are expected to announce their signings no later than Wednesday, with the club still having access to one other mature-aged selection ahead of the draft under the AFL's package.

The Adelaide Connection
08-10-2018, 05:25 PM

Maybe we are courting the wrong players? Setterfield is seen as risky due to his injury history (coming back from an ACL and had ankle issues prior to that) but he is actually Isabel Huntington's cousin so surely we would have been in the box seat if we wanted him.

Ozza
08-10-2018, 05:32 PM

Forgive me for not getting too excited about the Blues' chances of turning it around. They won 2 games this year, have been hopeless for nearly 2 decades despite year after year of top picks, and still a fair bit of water to go under the bridge on Shiel.

Even if they do come good in a few years, its a bit like Melbourne coming good this year....in that - you've been dreadful for a decade, you SHOULD be good by now!

EasternWest
08-10-2018, 05:52 PM

Because they're a club with Visyon.

Remi Moses
08-10-2018, 07:48 PM

Couldn’t agree more . The whole exercise was for the navy rabble and GC to bring in senior experience.
Apparently the other clubs are dirty, ave rightly so .

GVGjr
08-10-2018, 08:07 PM
The Age via realfooty have indicated we have interest in the Hawks Taylor Duryea.
Given his age and the fact that he is 27 and a free agent it could impact the Dahlhaus compensation so we will have to trade

Do we need another small defender?

bulldogtragic
08-10-2018, 08:17 PM
The Age via realfooty have indicated we have interest in the Hawks Taylor Duryea.
Given his age and the fact that he is 27 and a free agent it could impact the Dahlhaus compensation so we will have to trade

Why??? Unless it's as a DFA. But even then, he's not best 25 with those way ahead of him. Maybe in another time sure, but in the situation we are in with the list and compo impact, I'm not seeing it.

hujsh
08-10-2018, 08:22 PM
Can't have him in the backline when Daniel is playing there, even as the loose man.

divvydan
08-10-2018, 08:28 PM
Duryea has spent most of the last couple of years playing as a defensive forward, rather than a defender.

Testekill
08-10-2018, 08:31 PM
He wouldn't be best 22 for us so a pretty blah decision.

The Pie Man
08-10-2018, 08:31 PM
Defensive forward? Love great kicks of the footy, and his tackles stick

Testekill
08-10-2018, 08:37 PM
Defensive forward? Love great kicks of the footy, and his tackles stick

Averaged less than two tackles a game, only kicked 1 goal for the season and averaged 15 touches. Also averages more clangers per game than tackles.

Roarke Smith also played 7 less games and had just four less 1%s so he's not better than what we have as a defender and he doesn't offer what we need as a defensive forward.

Go_Dogs
08-10-2018, 08:41 PM
Smart be Geelong to grab Kreuger. Was surprised he didn't get picked up last year and would've been on a few clubs radars.

bulldogtragic
08-10-2018, 08:44 PM
Averaged less than two tackles a game, only kicked 1 goal for the season and averaged 15 touches. Also averages more clangers per game than tackles.

Roarke Smith also played 7 less games and had just four less 1%s so he's not better than what we have as a defender and he doesn't offer what we need as a defensive forward.

Way to make a point. Ouch. That's pretty damning for a defensive forward. And that's leaving aside Williams, Richards, Suckling, Crozier, Daniel, JJ are ahead of him at half back. If he's no good forward, and not going to get a game bar 3-4 injuries, and can't play midfield.... He's replacing Roughead and Campbell.... That's shrewd by Bevo, the higher ups say don't put a rolls Royce midfielder in the ruck, so he responds with trying to recruit a Datsun 120Y shorter bloke to play undersized-bash-up-derby. So if that means no Bont rucking, time to start a Welcome to the WBFC Taylor Duryea thread.

Go_Dogs
08-10-2018, 08:49 PM

Doesn't make much sense to me...

One player I've been thinking about the last few weeks is James Rose up in Sydney. Hasn't had a huge amount of opportunity but seems ready to make a leap into consistent AFL performer.

ratsmac
08-10-2018, 09:29 PM

Oh hello no!

This is surely some journo reading Big Footy or Facebook forums and running with it.

DOG GOD
08-10-2018, 09:32 PM

I swear my new slogan is fast becoming “give me strength”. What was looking as a possible wingard to dogs is fast becoming a “other teams non best 22”....and I’m beginning to get frustrated.

ratsmac
08-10-2018, 10:07 PM
I swear my new slogan is fast becoming “give me strength”. What was looking as a possible wingard to dogs is fast becoming a “other teams non best 22”....and I’m beginning to get frustrated.

And I hope Wingard hasn't read that article. He'll run for the hills

Bulldog Joe
08-10-2018, 10:17 PM
Duryea cannot be a good idea for us.
Send him to Gold Coast or Carlton. They need experienced players that aren't really any good more than we do.

GVGjr
08-10-2018, 10:20 PM
Send him to Gold Coast or Carlton. They need experienced players that aren't really any good more than we do.

I don't see a lot of value in this one either. He's not a bad player but how badly do we need him. Perhaps a 3rd rounder would be sufficient swap.

bornadog
08-10-2018, 10:21 PM

And I hope Wingard hasn't read that article. He'll run for the hills

I feel the Same

Mofra
09-10-2018, 10:20 AM

One player I've been thinking about the last few weeks is James Rose up in Sydney. Hasn't had a huge amount of opportunity but seems ready to make a leap into consistent AFL performer.
Wasn't there a whisper months ago that we had some interest in him?

TBH I'm ambivalent on Duryea - for a late pick ok, but not anything of value. I don't see small defender as a position of need even if Williams is now a mid and Richards plays on a wing.
It's painfully obvious that JJ is a much, much better player behind the ball. That's where he needs to play. Ditto Wood.

Plus we pick up a mid sized defender in Khamis this year to develop as Suckers plays his last season with us.

Dancin' Douggy
09-10-2018, 10:32 AM
Harley Benell over Duryea. I would take the punt

chef
09-10-2018, 10:47 AM
Im happy to get Duryea. Can play a role in decent sides, is quick and can kick well. Tick for me.

SquirrelGrip
09-10-2018, 10:51 AM
Harley Benell over Duryea. I would take the punt

Bennell seems tailor made for the Bombers.

With Duryea, I’m guessing Bevo would have coached him at the Hawks and has some input. If Bevo’s driving this one, then in Bevo we trust.

Possible benefits:
Speed
Tackling
Good left foot
Mature body
Attitude?
Good VFL player

Negatives:
No right foot whatsoever
No obvious elite attributes
He’s 27, so if he hasn’t played his best footy yet, are we really going to see it?
Hawthorn don’t get rid of good players.

I’m wondering if it’s a deal with Hawthorn: if you keep away from the Chad, we’ll take Duryea off your hands?

kruder
09-10-2018, 11:13 AM
Can someone explain to me how Lycett compensation is worth end of the first round but Dahl is second round?

bornadog
09-10-2018, 11:14 AM
Can someone explain to me how Lycett compensation is worth end of the first round but Dahl is second round?

It is just a *!*!*!*!ing joke.

Axe Man
09-10-2018, 11:26 AM

It is just a *!*!*!*!ing joke.

Beacuse Lycett is on at least $100k more a year than Dahl. Not everything is a conspiracy against our club you know.

Grantysghost
09-10-2018, 11:38 AM
Beacuse Lycett is on at least $100k more a year than Dahl. Not everything is a conspiracy against our club you know.

Or Ablett wants to go to West Coast.

The Doctor
09-10-2018, 11:51 AM
Sam Maclure on trade radio said Adams won't be back at the Whitten Oval

Twodogs
09-10-2018, 11:53 AM

Sydney took Rose with the pick we swapped with them for Shane Biggs. They took Rose at 37 and we took Declan Hamilton with 39.

The Doctor
09-10-2018, 11:53 AM
Anyone interested in Bennell for a late pick? High risk v high reward

How would this look?

HF: Wingard, Bontompelli, Bennell

Ozza
09-10-2018, 12:02 PM
Regarding Bennell, I think the risk to the culture of the group is too high. We've seen evidence of some erratic behaviour, and I'd suspect what we know is the tip of the iceberg.

SquirrelGrip
09-10-2018, 12:03 PM
Regarding Bennell, I think the risk to the culture of the group is too high. We've seen evidence of some erratic behaviour, and I'd suspect what we know is the tip of the iceberg.

Exactly why he’s a perfect fit for the Bombers!

Mofra
09-10-2018, 12:09 PM
Then there's the fact he hardly gets on the paddock. Big no from me.

The Bulldogs Bite
09-10-2018, 12:18 PM
Duryea would probably replace Suckling who is likely to retire at the end of 2019.

bornadog
09-10-2018, 12:21 PM

Sorry it is a joke - get rid of of compo and change the formula.

GVGjr
09-10-2018, 12:34 PM
Anyone interested in Bennell for a late pick? High risk v high reward

How would this look?

HF: Wingard, Bontompelli, Bennell

No to Bennell, taking risks on distracted players isn't something that I would do.

Ozza
09-10-2018, 12:36 PM
Then there's the fact he hardly gets on the paddock. Big no from me.

Yep. Zero games in 2016, 2 games in 2017. Even prior to that - missed 7 games in each of the 3 years prior. Putting the less tangible attitude/behaviour questions to one side - from a footy perspective, to miss that much, he's coming from a long way back.

Ozza
09-10-2018, 12:37 PM
Duryea would probably replace Suckling who is likely to retire at the end of 2019.

Really? Why would Suckling retire at the end of 2019?

Axe Man
09-10-2018, 12:45 PM
Sorry it is a joke - get rid of of compo and change the formula.

I don't disagree with you but under the current rules the result is fair. I said years ago to get rid of the compensation. They should also restrict the access of top teams to free agents.

The whole woe is me attitude on here gets tiring at times - the AFL, the media, the umpires are all against us. There is one big conspiracy against the Bulldogs. Funnily enough if you read other club forums there is a conspiracy against all of them too!

I like to complain as much as the next person but if I wanted hear constant whingeing all day long I would hang out with my kids.

The Bulldogs Bite
09-10-2018, 12:45 PM
really? Why would suckling retire at the end of 2019?

nfl.

bornadog
09-10-2018, 12:56 PM
I don't disagree with you but under the current rules the result is fair. I said years ago to get rid of the compensation. They should also restrict the access of top teams to free agents.

The whole woe is me attitude on here gets tiring at times - the AFL, the media, the umpires are all against us. There is one big conspiracy against the Bulldogs. Funnily enough if you read other club forums there is a conspiracy against all of them too!

I like to complain as much as the next person but if I wanted hear constant whingeing all day long I would hang out with my kids.

My response was nothing to do with " The dogs are getting ripped off" my complaint is Lycett, a dud ruckman giving WCoast an end of first round pick.

Axe Man
09-10-2018, 01:01 PM
My response was nothing to do with " The dogs are getting ripped off" my complaint is Lycett, a dud ruckman giving WCoast an end of first round pick.

So you think the compensation should be subjective? That would be an even bigger disaster. At least at present the compensation is somewhat predictable.

bornadog
09-10-2018, 01:13 PM
So you think the compensation should be subjective? That would be an even bigger disaster. At least at present the compensation is somewhat predictable.

No I never said that either.

I just don't like the whole system.

hujsh
09-10-2018, 01:36 PM

Must be since half his highlights seem to be against us

SlimPickens
09-10-2018, 01:55 PM
Anyone know if Duryea is a good citizen, hard trainer etc?. I'd imagine Bevo would know his capabilities, his experience wouldn't be a bad thing.

ratsmac
09-10-2018, 02:21 PM
Duryea sounds like a Hartung type scenario that ended in Norf delisting him a couple years later. I'd rather stick with Honeychurch who I don't rate too high either.

Axe Man
09-10-2018, 02:33 PM
Duryea sounds like a Hartung type scenario that ended in Norf delisting him a couple years later. I'd rather stick with Honeychurch who I don't rate too high either.

Bit rough on Duryea comparing him to Hartung and Honeychurch. Hartung has been delisted twice in 2 years and Honeychurch should be. He barely missed a game in a dominant Hawks team from 2013-16 and played in 2 flags. Also played in the Hawks last final this year.

Axe Man
09-10-2018, 02:35 PM
Anyone know if Duryea is a good citizen, hard trainer etc?. I'd imagine Bevo would know his capabilities, his experience wouldn't be a bad thing.

Was named best clubman at the Hawks B & F the other night. As you say Bevo wouldn't be interested if he wasn't a solid citizen.

bornadog
09-10-2018, 02:43 PM
Shiel set to nominate Bombres

bulldogtragic
09-10-2018, 02:46 PM

What? They really don't have a salary cap and the AFEL don't care.

Robbo already engraving Best in Trade Week Trophy for Dodoro.

bornadog
09-10-2018, 02:55 PM
What? They really don't have a salary cap and the AFEL don't care.

Robbo already engraving Best in Trade Week Trophy for Dodoro.

$1 million plus for Hooker, Hurley, at least $600k for Stringer, Devon Smith and Saad and now $1 million for Shiel. That leaves peanuts for the rest of the team

divvydan
09-10-2018, 03:00 PM
I wonder if North delisting Hartung was partly due to the assumption that Gaff was going to sign with them. Talk of their being an oral agreement some months ago but for whatever reason Gaff got cold feet and decided to stay in WA.

The Adelaide Connection
09-10-2018, 03:03 PM
$1 million plus for Hooker, Hurley, at least $600k for Stringer, Devon Smith and Saad and now $1 million for Shiel. That leaves peanuts for the rest of the team

Daniher is on about $650 too (signed a three year extension for $2 million in 2017).

ratsmac
09-10-2018, 03:03 PM
shiel set to nominate bombres
wtf!!!! Nooooooooooooooooo!!!!

ratsmac
09-10-2018, 03:07 PM
Bit rough on Duryea comparing him to Hartung and Honeychurch. Hartung has been delisted twice in 2 years and Honeychurch should be. He barely missed a game in a dominant Hawks team from 2013-16 and played in 2 flags. Also played in the Hawks last final this year.

I definitely are being harsh when you put it like that. I don't know why but I don't rate him, not that my opinion actually holds any value :D

edit: Maybe I haven't seen enough of him but I never seen him as a player that I would say I wish he played for us. I just don't see him as a player who we should target. I'd rather roll the dice in the draft

bulldogtragic
09-10-2018, 03:09 PM
So WCE lost Lycett and missed out on Lobb. I guess Roughy must be looking more attractive to them.

They have pick 36, but down 3 FA compo, so having pick 39. They won't want to jeopardise their first rounder for Lycett, so I wonder if they rate Roughy enough to trade their pick 39 (even if we have to throw pick 63 of 80 back)?

Edit: Their next pick after 39 is 71 which is a no deal from me. So unless there's a player we are wanting, it's pick 39 or nothing.

The Adelaide Connection
09-10-2018, 03:14 PM
So considering Shiel had a tough time picking, why not leave it in GWS's hands to get a deal done with one of the suitors?

So if Essendon are offering unders to GWS (as per usual), Carlton and whoever else can say "yeah, we'll pay the same coin to him but here is a better deal than that Dodora tightarse will give you".

This doesn't help us in the Stringer mess (as Essendon were really the only ones keen in the end) but at least in the Shiel scenario the club retains some power and is able to play off the four super keen suitors to squeeze as much worth as possible.

It's as if as soon as a player nominates, the clubs have no option but to trade exclusively with that club.

ledge
09-10-2018, 03:17 PM
Means they have to offload .. we might end up with Hurley in the end .

EasternWest
09-10-2018, 03:19 PM
Means they have to offload .. we might end up with Hurley in the end .

Hurley squeezd out by Shiel? I highly doubt it. We're more likely to end up with Stringer.

bulldogtragic
09-10-2018, 03:23 PM
Hurley squeezd out by Shiel? I highly doubt it. We're more likely to end up with Stringer.

The club has a no fatties policy. So there's no fat chance of that happening...

Rocket Science
09-10-2018, 03:23 PM
Oh well, even if Shiel gets to Dodoland the silver lining is it's another rat off the sinking GWS ship ... and with it being more and more apparent the Giants' window's slamming shut I hope Sam Power's all over Josh Kelly like a stink on a monkey.

Axe Man
09-10-2018, 03:49 PM
So WCE lost Lycett and missed out on Lobb. I guess Roughy must be looking more attractive to them.

They have pick 36, but down 3 FA compo, so having pick 39. They won't want to jeopardise their first rounder for Lycett, so I wonder if they rate Roughy enough to trade their pick 39 (even if we have to throw pick 63 of 80 back)?

Edit: Their next pick after 39 is 71 which is a no deal from me. So unless there's a player we are wanting, it's pick 39 or nothing.

It's been reported that Hickey is their preferred target, Roughy number 2 choice. Hopefully the saints want too much for Hickey and we can negotiate a reasonable return for Roughy. Or he just stays and provides some much needed depth.

Remi Moses
09-10-2018, 03:52 PM
Bizarre how Carlton were all over Shiel to be honest .
They’re 3 or 4 years away in which he’ll be 30 . They need to keep that number 1 pick

bulldogtragic
09-10-2018, 03:53 PM
It's been reported that Hickey is their preferred target, Roughy number 2 choice. Hopefully the saints want too much for Hickey and we can negotiate a reasonable return for Roughy. Or he just stays and provides some much needed depth.

Well he stays if there's no real interest. Maybe that rumour of St Kilda being interested is if Hickey leaves and they go free agency. I don't understand GWS losing Lobb and only having Dawson Simpson as a main ruck don't go for Roughy. He's not going to cost a pick as a free agent and he wouldn't comment huge dollars.

SquirrelGrip
09-10-2018, 03:56 PM

I’d actually like Roughy to stay and for Tom Campbell to find a new home. Of course he’d have to be happy playing almost entirely at Footscray, but given he’s a past vice captain, assistant coach with our AFLW team, grew up a Dogs supporter and is a premiership icon for that mark, it would be terrific to keep him around the club in any capacity. His off field community work also fits well with the club ethos.

But to do this he’d basically be an extra on our list if the first three options on our list aren’t available. If he has a burning desire to play consistently at the top level, I don’t think we can offer that.

Axe Man
09-10-2018, 03:56 PM
Well he stays if there's no real interest. Maybe that rumour of St Kilda being interested is if Hickey leaves and they go free agency. I don't understand GWS losing Lobb and only having Dawson Simpson as a main ruck don't go for Roughy. He's not going to cost a pick as a free agent and he wouldn't comment huge dollars.

The big mummy could be making a comeback in orange.

bulldogtragic
09-10-2018, 04:01 PM
The big mummy could be making a comeback in orange.

That has the hall marks a worse come back than Plugger.

Axe Man
09-10-2018, 04:04 PM
That has the hall marks a worse come back than Plugger.

We can only hope.

The Underdog
09-10-2018, 04:13 PM

Latest weather report has a large band of smug coming in from the north west.

SlimPickens
09-10-2018, 04:19 PM
Latest weather report has a large band of smug coming in from the north west.

Trade Week premiers again, still haven't won a final since John Howard was prime minister!

Greystache
09-10-2018, 04:26 PM
Trade Week premiers again, still haven't won a final since John Howard was prime minister!

The last time they finished above 7th the Concorde was still in operation.

westdog54
09-10-2018, 04:31 PM

First of all, you misspelled 'Premiership Ruckman'. Lycett is hardly a 'dud'.

Second, his contract was an extra year on what is, more than likely, a considerably larger contract p.a. than Dahlhaus'.

I don't see a problem here at all.

I feel old just reading that...

bornadog
09-10-2018, 04:40 PM
First of all, you misspelled 'Premiership Ruckman'. Lycett is hardly a 'dud'.

Second, his contract was an extra year on what is, more than likely, a considerably larger contract p.a. than Dahlhaus'.

I don't see a problem here at all.

I feel old just reading that...

9 disposals and 15 hitouts, yeah he is a great ruckman.

westdog54
09-10-2018, 04:46 PM

9 disposals and 15 hitouts, yeah he is a great ruckman.

Doesn't change the figures on the contract, which is what the FA formula works from.

I'm seriously trying to work out what your argument is here.

bornadog
09-10-2018, 04:53 PM
Doesn't change the figures on the contract, which is what the FA formula works from.

I'm seriously trying to work out what your argument is here.

Mate - you haven't followed the thread.

All I was saying is the system stinks when you get guys like Lycett attracting a pick after first round. You have Richmond getting an A Grade player for nothing and all the other clubs in both cases have to take the hit with draft picks dropping a place.

The whole compensation system needs to change, and in fact dropped, plus the team receiving the player should have to give up a pick.

ledge
09-10-2018, 04:55 PM
Maybe we can get Hurley now

Remi Moses
09-10-2018, 04:55 PM
Bit harsh on Lycett . Pretty good ruckman playing behind Nic Nat
Bigger and longer contract than Dahlhaus
Only issue I have is the overs Geelong got for Motlop

bornadog
09-10-2018, 05:00 PM
Bit harsh on Lycett .

Averages 17 hitouts a game.

Bulldog Joe
09-10-2018, 05:03 PM

Don't be so generous Slim.

Haven't won a final since John Howard was last ELECTED Prime Minister.

bulldogtragic
09-10-2018, 05:21 PM
Don't be so generous Slim.

Haven't won a final since John Howard was last ELECTED Prime Minister.

The then opposition leader was 'climbing the rungs of opportunity', while Essendon were busy falling down it.

Mantis
09-10-2018, 05:21 PM
Mate - you haven't followed the thread.

All I was saying is the system stinks when you get guys like Lycett attracting a pick after first round. You have Richmond getting an A Grade player for nothing and all the other clubs in both cases have to take the hit with draft picks dropping a place.

The whole compensation system needs to change, and in fact dropped, plus the team receiving the player should have to give up a pick.

So you're saying just do away with free agency and only allow player movements by the way of a trade? Isn't that the system we had which was seen to be too restrictive?

hujsh
09-10-2018, 05:31 PM
So you're saying just do away with free agency and only allow player movements by the way of a trade? Isn't that the system we had which was seen to be too restrictive?
I think he's saying you can still sign them but the club signing them needs to pay a cost. Kind of like how you pay in draft points for F/S now I imagine.

bornadog
09-10-2018, 05:32 PM

Not free agency, the current compo system. Trading doesn't come into it. The team receiving the FA should have to give up something, but deemed by the AFL on a formula of some sort. Currently all the other clubs end up paying.

bornadog
09-10-2018, 05:32 PM
I think he's saying you can still sign them but the club signing them needs to pay a cost. Kind of like how you pay in draft points for F/S now I imagine.

Spot on

SquirrelGrip
09-10-2018, 05:43 PM
Not free agency, the current compo system. Trading doesn't come into it. The team receiving the FA should have to give up something, but deemed by the AFL on a formula of some sort. Currently all the other clubs end up paying.

Why not the team receiving the free agent has to pay the current compo spot? We have the formula already so it would be easy enough to do.

What you’d be seeing now is Richmond having to trade down to get pick 3 (or equivalent draft points) for Lynch.

ratsmac
09-10-2018, 05:44 PM

Totally agree. The team receiving the player should at least slip down the draft order to the end of the round that the team losing the player got compensated.

hujsh
09-10-2018, 05:45 PM
Spot on
I have to admit I don't hate the idea.

ratsmac
09-10-2018, 05:45 PM
Why not the team receiving the free agent has to pay the current compo spot? We have the formula already so it would be easy enough to do.

What you’d be seeing now is Richmond having to trade down to get pick 3 (or equivalent draft points) for Lynch.

Or this.

bornadog
09-10-2018, 06:06 PM

Totally agree. The team receiving the player should at least slip down the draft order to the end of the round that the team losing the player got compensated.

I have to admit I don't hate the idea.

Or this.

Better than current system.

Dahl compo will end up closer to 30, pick 6 is already pick 7

Rocket Science
09-10-2018, 06:07 PM

https://image.ibb.co/jSDHb9/back_2_back.png (https://ibb.co/n9FVw9)

Bulldog Joe
09-10-2018, 06:24 PM

That would work and they would drop out the first 2 rounds of the draft, rather than anyone else dropping down.

Scraggers
09-10-2018, 06:39 PM
That would work and they would drop out the first 2 rounds of the draft, rather than anyone else dropping down.

I agree; this seems fairer for the rest of the competition, but what does the club losing the player get?

In the Dahlhaus scenario ... We lose Dahlhaus, what do we gain? How are we compensated?

FrediKanoute
09-10-2018, 06:43 PM

Or if you lose someone to free agency then too bad....you get nothing. It will encourage teams to negotiate the year before a contract ends, extending based on current form and also encourage teams to trade or receive nothing if they allow a player to walk.

FrediKanoute
09-10-2018, 06:45 PM

Nothing. If they choose to take the trade to the brink and lose, then why should they be compensated. The only reason Lynch and Lycett and Daulhaus weren't dealt with last year is because all teams knew that if they waited till their final year and the player walked on big enough cash then there would be a better deal than if they traded. Take that away and clubs will trade.

Bulldog Joe
09-10-2018, 07:47 PM
I agree; this seems fairer for the rest of the competition, but what does the club losing the player get?

In the Dahlhaus scenario ... We lose Dahlhaus, what do we gain? How are we compensated?

Why should they actually get anything?

If you have a player out of contract and let him go you miss out or you arrange a trade.

Twodogs
09-10-2018, 08:27 PM

We are compensated by having the same access to free agents from other clubs to fill the spot on our list that Dahl left.

ratsmac
09-10-2018, 09:27 PM
Maybe there should be a financial compensation between the 2 clubs, a transfer fee.

kruder
09-10-2018, 11:33 PM
Would anyone part with pick 13 for Mitch Mcgovern ?:rolleyes:

The Adelaide Connection
10-10-2018, 01:45 AM
Would anyone part with pick 13 for Mitch Mcgovern ?:rolleyes:

Before round 16, 2017 I would have in a heartbeat. I used to be a big fan. But then in round 16 he dove and got Wood suspended and now he is dead to me.

bornadog
10-10-2018, 09:23 AM
North finally land someone - Jared Polec and Jasper Pittard from Port Adelaide for pick 11 and North receive pick 48

Topdog
10-10-2018, 09:28 AM
Surprised they included Pittard as well

Twodogs
10-10-2018, 09:32 AM

He's on huge money, Port would be happy to get him off their books I reckon.

bornadog
10-10-2018, 09:34 AM

The other surprise is North and Melbourne considering a straight player swap for Tyson and Pruess

Mofra
10-10-2018, 09:38 AM
The other surprise is North and Melbourne considering a straight player swap for Tyson and Pruess
That is a weird scenario. North have been shedding inside mids because they need class there, Preuss is stuck behind Goldy so he goes to a club with Gawn.

This seems a lose/lose for both club and both players.

bulldogsthru&thru
10-10-2018, 10:30 AM
Brisbane and Gold Coast did a pick exchange. Ended up with Brisbane getting pick 32. Could that be used for Adams?

bulldogtragic
10-10-2018, 10:33 AM
Brisbane and Gold Coast did a pick exchange. Ended up with Brisbane getting pick 32. Could that be used for Adams?

That's what they say I reckon.

Mofra
10-10-2018, 10:43 AM
Or Lachie Neale.

They do have two picks in the 40s as well if we really are wanting points.

Pick 32 - 584 points
Pick 41 (412) + 44 (362) = 774 (valued between pick 24 and 25)

SquirrelGrip
10-10-2018, 10:43 AM

Maybe Adams and a player? I’m still hoping for McStay.

bornadog
10-10-2018, 10:46 AM

Bloody complicated:

Trade paperwork officially lodged.

Brisbane Lions have traded Rd 2 (24), Rd 4 (58) and Rd 5 (79) to the Gold Coast Suns for Rd 2 (32), Rd 3 (41), Rd 3 (44) and Rd 5 (77).

chef
10-10-2018, 10:56 AM
32 for Adams seems fair.

bulldogtragic
10-10-2018, 10:56 AM
Or Lachie Neale.

They do have two picks in the 40s as well if we really are wanting points.

Pick 32 - 584 points
Pick 41 (412) + 44 (362) = 774 (valued between pick 24 and 25)

That points trade concept could be interesting, especially if we got a 3rd for Roughy. These points essentially take over in the puzzle for the Dahl compo. We then are freed up to trade pick 27 on a decent mature player. So there's that.

Picks 41, 42, 45, 46, 63 & 64 = 1665 (circa)

That's West at 15 and Khamis at 30 with change. Left over points for Lachy Dawson if interested, maybe Hayes as a trade with GCS/Carlton in the 60's, or able to use or trade the 60's picks if needed (ie Lloyd, please not Duryea). So adding in pick 7 or Wingard, and Lloyd (maybe Hayes). Plus pick 27 traded on a decent player.

That points trade is very tempting.

The Doctor
10-10-2018, 11:09 AM
32 for Adams seems fair.

picks 41 & 44 might be better for us

combined the draft points are worth more than pick 32 which will help us secure West & Khamis possibly leaving us to use the Dahl compo pick (27) on a young gun

The Adelaide Connection
10-10-2018, 11:14 AM
That points trade concept could be interesting, especially if we got a 3rd for Roughy. These points essentially take over in the puzzle for the Dahl compo. We then are freed up to trade pick 27 on a decent mature player. So there's that.

Picks 41, 42, 45, 46, 63 & 64 = 1665 (circa)

That's West at 15 and Khamis at 30 with change. Left over points for Lachy Dawson if interested, maybe Hayes as a trade with GCS/Carlton in the 60's, or able to use or trade the 60's picks if needed (ie Lloyd, please not Duryea). So adding in pick 7 or Wingard, and Lloyd (maybe Hayes). Plus pick 27 traded on a decent player.

That points trade is very tempting.

I am pretty sure Carlton only got two picks (one used for Krueger for the Cats swap and the other on McAdam for the Crows swap). GC still have a few though.

I wonder if the Crows have cooled on Stengle now they have grabbed McAdam? Could we/should we look to swoop on him too?

bulldogtragic
10-10-2018, 11:24 AM
I am pretty sure Carlton only got two picks (one used for Krueger for the Cats swap and the other on McAdam for the Crows swap). GC still have a few though.

I wonder if the Crows have cooled on Stengle now they have grabbed McAdam? Could we/should we look to swoop on him too?

If we take the points trade, these sorts of money ball low risk trades open up beyond Lloyd, or Dawson (NGA), because we aren't beholden to keeping the 60's picks - assuming Roughy nets a third rounder of course. And pick 27 in play as an active pick or trade currency might open up a whole range of interesting outcomes.

bornadog
10-10-2018, 11:32 AM
Carlton get: Mitch McGovern & 2019 3rd round pick

Adelaide get: Pick 13, Shane McAdam, 2019 5th round pick

Sydney get: Picks 26, 28 & 40

Axe Man
10-10-2018, 11:40 AM

Yep Carlton have used both their picks as you say and Gold Coast have used 2 of their 3 already (West Adelaide key position player Chris Burgess and Werribee forward Josh Corbett). Only 1 more state league player can be claimed.

hujsh
10-10-2018, 11:47 AM
If West is nominated before pick 27 do we have to use the Dahl compo on him? If so the picks in the 40s become less useful and I'd lean towards keeping Adams over making the trade.

bulldogtragic
10-10-2018, 12:00 PM
If West is nominated before pick 27 do we have to use the Dahl compo on him? If so the picks in the 40s become less useful and I'd lean towards keeping Adams over making the trade.

Yes. That’s why I’d trade for a decent player with it. Then our picks start from the 40’s.

Testekill
10-10-2018, 12:05 PM

From what I understand, points come out of the earliest possible pick. If West is nominated before the Dahl compo then it'll start off using that pick.

bornadog
10-10-2018, 12:15 PM
Three-way trade...

Geelong's pick 61 (they got from Brisbane for McCarthy) moves to Sydney for Gary Rohan.
Swans then pass onto North Melbourne for Ryan Clarke

bornadog
10-10-2018, 12:16 PM
Hickey to West Coast - Where does that leave Roughy

Remi Moses
10-10-2018, 12:17 PM
Great work by the crows , and Carlton gave up a bit more than I thought they would .

ratsmac
10-10-2018, 12:19 PM
Hickey to West Coast - Where does that leave Roughy

Holding his .......

Do the saints take him now.

bulldogsthru&thru
10-10-2018, 12:34 PM
Gary Rohan to the cats......i'm not sure what they're trying to achieve

craigsahibee
10-10-2018, 12:47 PM
They need some speed in the forward line to collect Dahlhaus' shots for goal before they go out on the full.

ratsmac
10-10-2018, 12:48 PM

Maybe they want to play in the Super rules competition

mjp
10-10-2018, 12:49 PM

It's effectively a straight swap of McCarthy for Rohan...that's win-win for both clubs and both players who all seem to be a bit tired of each other...

The Bulldogs Bite
10-10-2018, 12:53 PM
I'd rather McCarthy if he could get fit.

Rohan is good for 2 games a year.

bulldogtragic
10-10-2018, 01:04 PM
Hopefully Roughy to Saints for third round compo. Please.

Axe Man
10-10-2018, 01:07 PM
Hickey to West Coast deal:

The Saints received the Eagles’ second-round pick (currently selection 39 in the 2018 AFL Draft) and a future fourth round pick.

In exchange, the Saints traded this year’s pick 60, a future fourth-round pick and the 27-year-old ruckman.

Not only did they have to hand pick 60 back for 39 they have downgraded next year's 4th rounder.

The Adelaide Connection
10-10-2018, 01:12 PM
Hopefully Roughy to Saints for third round compo. Please.

I hope we keep him. Insurance if someone goes down and, assuming English is the #1 next year, allows us to give him strategic rest throughout the year.
Roughead is also a solid citizen, involved in the women’s team, brings valuable leadership in the men’s to a young group, and at worst he plays a strong development role in the VFL team (and makes them stronger on field).

ratsmac
10-10-2018, 01:21 PM
I hope we keep him. Insurance if someone goes down and, assuming English is the #1 next year, allows us to give him strategic rest throughout the year.
Roughead is also a solid citizen, involved in the women’s team, brings valuable leadership in the men’s to a young group, and at worst he plays a strong development role in the VFL team (and makes them stronger).
I thought Roughead was better later in the year when pairing with Trengove. I wouldn't be upset if we retain him. I wouldn't be upset if he left either

Mofra
10-10-2018, 01:50 PM
Would Roughy want to be somewhere if he's stuck in the VFL? That's as much of an issue.