PDA

View Full Version : Five pups nominated in AFLPA 22under22 squad

bornadog
15-08-2018, 12:07 AM
Five young Bulldogs have made the preliminary 40-man squad in the AFL Players’ Association 22under22 representative team for 2018.
Bailey Williams, Billy Gowers, Marcus Bontempelli, Toby McLean and Tim English have been named in the squad, selected by the AFLPA Board for their performances across the 2018 home and away season.

Highlighting the best young talent in the league, the AFLPA’s 22under22 concept was first introduced in 2013. To be eligible for selection, players must be aged 22 years and under for the entirety of the season, including the finals series.

Bontempelli’s nomination means he is in the running to win 22Under22 honours for a fifth straight season. He was named captain of the 2016 and 2017 teams.

The Bulldogs’ vice-captain has averaged 23 possessions and a goal a game this season.
McLean has averaged 24.5 disposals and six tackles a game in a standout season, while Gowers in his first year at the kennel shares the leading goal kicking tally with Bontempelli (22).

Although interrupted by injury, Williams and English have continued to show strong glimpses of their ability.

Williams has averaged 17 disposals off half back and through the midfield, while second-year ruckman, English, added to his game tally in 2018, playing seven matches before suffering a foot injury.

Fans can now visit 22under22.com.au (http://www.22under22.com.au/#/app/2654/page/6773) to cast their vote, before the final team is revealed at the AFL Players’ MVP Awards on Thursday, August 30

Voting closes on Tuesday, August 28, 2018.

2018 22under22 40-man squad
Defenders: Tom Doedee (Adelaide), Wayne Milera (Adelaide), Harris Andrews (Brisbane), Alex Witherden (Brisbane), Andrew McGrath (Essendon), Conor McKenna (Essendon), Ed Langdon (Fremantle), Lachie Weller (Gold Coast Suns), Dougal Howard (Port Adelaide), Jayden Short (Richmond), Bailey Williams (Western Bulldogs)

Forwards: Eric Hipwood (Brisbane), Charlie Curnow (Carlton), Jordan De Goey (Collingwood), Jaidyn Stephenson (Collingwood), Bayley Fritsch (Melbourne), Alex Neal-Bullen (Melbourne), Dan Butler (Richmond), Jade Gresham (St Kilda), Ben Ronke (Sydney), Will Hayward (Sydney), Billy Gowers (Western Bulldogs)

Midfielders: Hugh McCluggage (Brisbane), Zac Fisher (Carlton), Tom Phillips (Collingwood), Zach Merrett (Essendon), Touk Miller (Gold Coast), Tim Taranto (GWS Giants), Jacob Hopper (GWS Giants), Angus Brayshaw (Melbourne), James Harmes (Melbourne), Clayton Oliver (Melbourne), Christian Petracca (Melbourne), Sam Powell-Pepper (Port Adelaide), Jack Steele (St Kilda), Isaac Heeney (Sydney), Marcus Bontempelli (Western Bulldogs), Toby McLean (Western Bulldogs)

Rucks: Sean Darcy (Fremantle), Tim English (Western Bulldogs)

The bulldog tragician
15-08-2018, 02:32 PM
It is stunning to think Bont remains eligible for this.

Go_Dogs
16-08-2018, 06:51 PM
Surprised Richards and Naughton couldn't get a run, but maybe I'm just being greedy.

comrade
16-08-2018, 06:55 PM
Surprised Richards and Naughton couldn't get a run, but maybe I'm just being greedy.

Conor McKenna over Richards & Naughton. Please.

Rocket Science
16-08-2018, 07:08 PM
Conor McKenna over Richards & Naughton. Please.

That pair clearly need to work on their biting skills.

Dancin' Douggy
17-08-2018, 09:38 AM

It sure is.

Axe Man
17-08-2018, 12:03 PM

Doedee and Andrews over Naughton as key defenders is fair enough. Don't know enough about Howard to judge his inclusion though.

The Underdog
17-08-2018, 01:14 PM

Younger than Cripps...
Toby should be a shoe in for this too.

Mofra
17-08-2018, 01:49 PM
Doedee and Andrews over Naughton as key defenders is fair enough. Don't know enough about Howard to judge his inclusion though.
Is that Dougal Howard?

I had no idea he was so young. He's an established player. We'll just have to be content in the knowledge that Naughton will overtake them in a short period of time. Harris Andrews might take a little longer to catch, I really rate him.

Axe Man
17-08-2018, 02:01 PM
Is that Dougal Howard?

I had no idea he was so young. He's an established player. We'll just have to be content in the knowledge that Naughton will overtake them in a short period of time. Harris Andrews might take a little longer to catch, I really rate him.

Yeah that's him. He's 22 and is probably the reason Port were happy to let Trengove leave. Looks to have established himself this year after an ACL in 2016.

The Underdog
17-08-2018, 02:29 PM
Is that Dougal Howard?

Andrews and Witherden are going to be fantastic players. Hope the Lions can hold onto them.

Topdog
17-08-2018, 02:51 PM
Younger than Cripps...
Toby should be a shoe in for this too.

Geez just assumed that Cripps was younger than Bont