PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the Bulldogs: Taylor Duryea

GVGjr
16-10-2018, 06:16 PM
While it's not confirmed it should be completed shortly.

Duryea joins us and will add some experience and versatility to a young playing list.

I think he will mainly be a small defender for us and adds to the kicking skills for our defensive group.

Remi Moses
16-10-2018, 06:17 PM
Best of luck . He has to play as a lock down small defender with a good kick

bulldogtragic
16-10-2018, 06:19 PM
I can't warm to it. I'm not a fan. I don't like it.

But prove me wrong young man. Prove me wrong.

Testekill
16-10-2018, 06:22 PM

Yeah I don't really see what the point was but he's a Bulldog now so best of luck to him.

DOG GOD
16-10-2018, 06:26 PM

I’m not a fan of any of our 2 ins. Very uninspiring trade period to date. I just want it over.

bulldogtragic
16-10-2018, 06:31 PM

Duryea joins us and will add some experience and versatility to a young playing list.

I think he will mainly be a small defender for us and adds to the kicking skills for our defensive group.

2019 4th rounder.

KT31
16-10-2018, 06:33 PM
Its official, just received the text from the club.

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2018-10-16/duryea-to-the-dogs

DOG GOD
If we paid 64 for Lloyd, we will probably bend over under the hawks pressure and pay a 40’s for duryea

bulldogtragic
Its official, just received the text from the club.

The one to break the cyanide capsule and swallow it? Me too.

KT31
16-10-2018, 06:35 PM
If we paid 64 for Lloyd, we will probably bend over under the hawks pressure and pay a 40’s for duryea

Future 4th round

LostDoggy
16-10-2018, 06:36 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=M-c0VRnDTYQ

DOG GOD
16-10-2018, 06:36 PM
Future 4th round

Ah ok...thanks mate

SquirrelGrip
16-10-2018, 06:38 PM
Welcome Taylor. Pick 72 next year well spent.

lemmon
16-10-2018, 06:46 PM
Any contract details around?

G-Mo77
16-10-2018, 06:48 PM
Not a fan of this move. It improves our age bracket, not sure what else. Like always I'm happy to eat my words.

GVGjr
16-10-2018, 06:56 PM
Not a fan of this move. It improves our age bracket, not sure what else. Like always I'm happy to eat my words.

At the very least it probably reduces the whole conversation on how young the playing list is after every loss but he's a good enough player. He might have to reinvent his playing style under Bevo but he should be open for the challenge.

Suckling won me over, Duryea should quickly settle in

G-Mo77
16-10-2018, 06:58 PM
Lol. We can't win the youngest team, least games argument anymore. :D

ratsmac
16-10-2018, 06:59 PM
Hip Hip Duryea!!!

Not over the moon but he does make us better just through experience. He does have neat foot skills which EVERYONE on this forum has been screaming out for.

Like it or lump it he is now a Bulldog, he is one of us so let's get around him. #godogs

Axe Man
16-10-2018, 07:03 PM
Any contract details around?

It's been reported as a 2 year deal, which he took as the Hawks were only offering him 1 year.

DOG GOD
16-10-2018, 07:05 PM
It's been reported as a 2 year deal, which he took as the Hawks were only offering him 1 year.

So did he come to us coz he WANTED to, or we were the only club in the AFL willing to give him his 2 years ?

Axe Man
16-10-2018, 07:07 PM
So did he come to us coz he WANTED to, or we were the only club in the AFL willing to give him his 2 years ?

Sydney had some interest, not sure if they made an offer.

GVGjr
16-10-2018, 07:09 PM
We need to get around Duryea and welcome him to the club because clearly Bevo would have wanted him.

No pun intended but he has a great pedigree, 2 premierships and over 100 senior games of experience plus he is a great club man.
It's not a signing that us going to get a lot of us excited but I'd prefer a player who comes to work each day than some of those distracted types we've seemed to have tolerated over the last 2 years.

Webby
16-10-2018, 07:17 PM
We need to get around Duryea and welcome him to the club because clearly Bevo would have wanted him.

No pun intended but he has a great pedigree, 2 premierships and over 100 senior games of experience plus he is a great club man.
It's not a signing that us going to get a lot of us excited but I'd prefer a player who comes to work each day than some of those distracted types we've seemed to have tolerated over the last 2 years.

Exactly. I don’t recall being over the moon about Biggs and Hamling, either, but they turned out okay.
We’ve given up virtually nothing for the bloke and I’m not sure how many better kicks than him we currently have on the list.

Rocket Science
16-10-2018, 07:17 PM
Yay.

I mean, yea.

Go_Dogs
16-10-2018, 07:28 PM
I don't mind it . It's not a huge need that he fills position wise, but he adds experience and will be in our top 5 users by foot. Hard to argue against adding him on the cheap, particularly with where we are at from a list transitioning perspective. I'm assuming he will add leadership to our group too.

DOG GOD
16-10-2018, 07:28 PM

I think I’m just disillusioned when I see what other clubs are doing and we’ve pretty much done 1 trade in over a week (lloyd was always coming to us). Lloyd I can understand coz our fwd line is rubbish, but duryea I’m not sure where he fits...we have way too many hbf, but that’s just my opinion. I’ll welcome any player to the dogs and cheer them on...I’ll get over my disappointment eventually lol.

Scorlibo
16-10-2018, 07:31 PM
I don’t mind Duryea, he gives 100% and can tackle and kick. However, it’s concerning that in our search for experience we have to grab fringe players being phased out at other clubs. As a club we just don’t have any kind of allure right now which is what we all hoped might develop post-premiership.

The Bulldogs Bite
16-10-2018, 07:32 PM
Duryea will be fine.

Happy enough with a future 4th round pick.

Still would like us to target another player with experience and/or trade the Dahl compo - if this is used on West it’s a missed opportunity

KT31
16-10-2018, 07:37 PM
Welcome to the Dogs, cost nothing, tough as nails and nice kick.
Better still my brother in-law a Hawk supporter upset as he rates him.

Bullies
16-10-2018, 07:41 PM
Unfortunately this is what we need to get used to. We need to play moneyball as we won't be able to attract big names unless we sell the farm. Lloyd and Duryea will be in and out of the team. Just not sure at their age what they have to offer. Yep, very uninspiring.

GVGjr
16-10-2018, 07:46 PM
I don’t mind Duryea, he gives 100% and can tackle and kick. However, it’s concerning that in our search for experience we have to grab fringe players being phased out at other clubs. As a club we just don’t have any kind of allure right now which is what we all hoped might develop post-premiership.

He's played a bit much to be regarded as a fringe player in my opinion. We've handed out plenty of kudos to our premiership boys and he was won two of them.

S Coast Simon
16-10-2018, 07:52 PM
Crazy to think he is costing the same a Scully is costing the Hawks. We need to play regular finals before we start attracting the stars. These two will be handy additions. Both beautiful kicks. May says he’s open to anywhere in Victoria. Are we willing to part with 7 for him

jeemak
16-10-2018, 07:55 PM
Not watching him weekly it's difficult to judge him with confidence, though to this point I haven't been much of a fan. Neat kick, nuts and bolts type I suppose, and probably someone you need to watch closely to gauge the value of output. We got him for the right price, just because the system is busted and Hawks got Scully for the same isn't worth worrying about in this context.

However, I wasn't much of a fan of Liam Picken until Bevo arrived and had the confidence in him to develop his game in ways that weren't immediately apparent to me. Here's hoping he can do the same with Duryea.

Welcome to the club and good luck, here's to proving me wrong.

KT31
16-10-2018, 08:01 PM
Happy the club is finally addressing our poor kicking, both players are decent kicks and will be best 22 in our side.
Have a crack at May tomorrow and if successful it an A+, if not its a C-.

1eyedog
16-10-2018, 08:03 PM
I hate Hawthorn. I'm just gonna go watch the Second Semi again.
In all seriousness I do believe we will win a final before they do.

Remi Moses
16-10-2018, 08:21 PM
I think it’s a solid get, and Certainly a better skilled version than Biggs . Graham Wright was pumping up his tyres in reference to leadership . Clarkson’s the big attraction as is there success over generations. We’ll attract players when we can have some sustained success. Question’s going to be will this recruiting take Hawthorn or Geelong to the ultimate again? I get the consistent finals thinking, but do they need young elite talent to win again

Flamethrower
16-10-2018, 08:29 PM
Could be quite valuable with the new kick in rules.

I predict Taylor will play more AFL games in 2019 than Tom Scully.

Ozza
17-10-2018, 10:05 AM
Not watching him weekly it's difficult to judge him with confidence, though to this point I haven't been much of a fan. Neat kick, nuts and bolts type I suppose, and probably someone you need to watch closely to gauge the value of output. We got him for the right price, just because the system is busted and Hawks got Scully for the same isn't worth worrying about in this context.

However, I wasn't much of a fan of Liam Picken until Bevo arrived and had the confidence in him to develop his game in ways that weren't immediately apparent to me. Here's hoping he can do the same with Duryea.

Welcome to the club and good luck, here's to proving me wrong.

You didn't like Picko before Bevo arrived? He'd played nearly every game of 6 seasons before Bevo got there! Tough crowd!

hujsh
17-10-2018, 10:41 AM
Worst case scenario, this guy is an upgrade on Rourke Smith who played 10 games.

chef
17-10-2018, 10:54 AM
You didn't like Picko before Bevo arrived? He'd played nearly every game of 6 seasons before Bevo got there! Tough crowd!

Most on here wanted him delisted as he was a failed tagger(or becoming one) when Bevo arrived

Ozza
17-10-2018, 11:00 AM
Failed tagger? He'd had 2 top 3 finishes in the B&F when Bevo arrived. He was very successful as a tagger, but in McCartney's last year was being played as a back pocket, which I don't think he was suited to. But he was good enough to never be dropped for 6 seasons and only missed a handful of games in that time due to injury or suspension.

Greystache
17-10-2018, 11:03 AM
I'd have given our trade period a C grade until now. I'll adjust it to a C- now.

EasternWest
17-10-2018, 11:34 AM
Most on here wanted him delisted as he was a failed tagger(or becoming one) when Bevo arrived

Citation needed.

Testekill
17-10-2018, 11:56 AM
Citation needed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GgrhqxX-j0

BornInDroopSt'54
17-10-2018, 12:32 PM
In the club we trust.
Welcome aboard Taylor. Your mother had a poetic bent so that's good (I'm presuming 'Duryea' has a diphthong at the end).

Nuggety Back Pocket
17-10-2018, 12:42 PM

The redeeming feature is that with both Duryea and Lloyd we are getting two players from successful Clubs in Hawthorn and Richmond that have developed good cultures. Would prefer to see Duryea used up forward given the number of defenders we already have at our disposal.

Topdog
17-10-2018, 01:47 PM
Hawks supporting mate told me "difference between best and worst performances are too far apart and happen too frequently, enjoy the frustration of having him on your team."

Eastdog
17-10-2018, 09:40 PM
Good luck Taylor! Hope he works out for us. Will wait and see now.

Testekill
18-10-2018, 01:16 PM
Hawks supporting mate told me "difference between best and worst performances are too far apart and happen too frequently, enjoy the frustration of having him on your team."

So just like Suckling then; Suckers did have a career best season this year prior to his injury so who knows how it'll go.

Doc26
18-10-2018, 03:19 PM
There was a highlights link posted up earlier in the thread.

Here’s one from the Hawks site following his 2017 re-signing at the end of 2017.

There’s a fair bit to like with his hardness and kicking if he can emulate this for us consistently. I hear he’s also a very good clubman.

For the price, and given Clay has retired and doubts on Liam’s return, it would seem an astute pick up.

Taylor Duryea Highlights (http://m.hawthornfc.com.au/video/2017-10-09/highlights-more-doc-to-come)

Mofra
18-10-2018, 03:54 PM
I wish him nothing but the best but it's really hard to get excited about this pick up.

The Bulldogs Bite
18-10-2018, 04:05 PM
So just like Suckling then; Suckers did have a career best season this year prior to his injury so who knows how it'll go.

A less attacking but better defensive version of Suckling would be my summation.

whythelongface
18-10-2018, 04:10 PM
Can he be transformed into a small defensive forward? He seems to be ok at marking and he has a good kick on him.

GVGjr
18-10-2018, 06:55 PM
Can he be transformed into a small defensive forward? He seems to be ok at marking and he has a good kick on him.

I think that is his preferred position but we probably won't play him there :)

Greystache
18-10-2018, 11:37 PM
I think that is his preferred position but we probably won't play him there :)

Agree, so can he play inside mid with stints tagging? I would've felt better if I saw a hitout in his highlights, players need to be flexible.

comrade
20-10-2018, 11:02 AM
He's a perfect pick up if the plan was transitioning out Suckers as my weekly whipping boy, and replacing him with another inconsistent Hawthorn cast off.

Welcome, Taylor. Please don't take anything I say personally ;)

Sedat
20-10-2018, 11:30 AM
He's got a kick like a mule - that alone places him ahead of a large portion of our current list.

Not a sexy trade but he is clearly an AFL standard player who adds to our depth at absolute worst (and at minimal cost). Sam Lloyd is also clearly AFL standard - 23rd best player on Richmond's list that just had an 18-4 season.

EasternWest
20-10-2018, 01:44 PM
He's got a kick like a mule - that alone places him ahead of a large portion of our current list.

Not a sexy trade but he is clearly an AFL standard player who adds to our depth at absolute worst (and at minimal cost). Sam Lloyd is also clearly AFL standard - 23rd best player on Richmond's list that just had an 18-4 season.

Yeah I don't get the disdain around these two players. They are clearly better than a number on our list and best 22 or just outside.

Plus they both have skills that are weaknesses of ours. They won't win us the Premiership alone, but they're an upgrade on a number of our role players.

I'm satisfied enough with both of them coming in.

GVGjr
20-10-2018, 02:49 PM
Yeah I don't get the disdain around these two players. They are clearly better than a number on our list and best 22 or just outside.

Plus they both have skills that are weaknesses of ours. They won't win us the Premiership alone, but they're an upgrade on a number of our role players.

I'm satisfied enough with both of them coming in.

I understand why people wanted more but this time 12 months ago there was speculation on how badly we did with Trengove and Crozier but a bit of optimism with Schache. Trengove might still have a lot of doubters but backs up a few positions for us and I think Crozier won a lot of people over.

Both Lloyd and Duryea have a bit to prove but they didn't cost us much and will get their chances.

We always want more during trade periods but we need to give these two some time to settle in

Rocket Science
20-10-2018, 03:15 PM
I suppose if Lloyd & Duryea mean less Honeychurch & Smith we'll be better served.

To what extent, let's see ...

FrediKanoute
20-10-2018, 07:22 PM
I suppose if Lloyd & Duryea mean less Honeychurch & Smith we'll be better served.

To what extent, let's see ...

Spot on. We are already a better team.

Bullies
22-10-2018, 09:08 AM

To what extent, let's see ... i think it shows as to where we are at in that we have recruited Lloyd and Duryea and yet still retain Honeychurch and Smith. I don't get it.

ledge
22-10-2018, 09:47 AM
i think it shows as to where we are at in that we have recruited Lloyd and Duryea and yet still retain Honeychurch and Smith. I don't get it.

We haven’t retained honeychurch yet.

ratsmac
22-10-2018, 10:32 PM
We haven’t retained honeychurch yet.

And I would of retained Honeychurch before Smith if I HAD To pick one.

bulldogtragic
22-10-2018, 10:52 PM
And I would of retained Honeychurch before Smith if I HAD To pick one.

To quote the Old El Paso girl, "why not both?".

As every day gets closer, I fear Smith & Honeychurch will be on the rookie list next year. I can understand, not agree, the brains trust wanting to see if Smith can make it. But Honeychurch has proven he can't. I fear he will take up a spot next year. He should've been cut already. Frankly, it should've been done last year instead of forcing Cloke into retirement to keep him on the main list. Bad decision all round, leaving aside we couldn't score this year and Cloke being able to kick goals better than occasionally.

In this context I feel much better about Lloyd nailing basic shots HC can't, and Duryea impacting games like Smith struggles to. But if we keep HC in any capacity, he must compromat of the highest order on a lot of people.

Axe Man
18-07-2019, 12:42 PM
Duryea's career-best (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2019-07-18/duryeas-careerbest?fbclid=IwAR1bluzGJ8vol6zRPLtb6oTkNGxCnovqtn76D65s co3nc-BbIBHZdMduZXo)

It took Taylor Duryea just eight games as a Bulldog to achieve a new career-best.

The experienced defender went past the magic 30-disposal mark for the first time in his 126-game AFL career on Sunday, to play a pivotal role in the win against Melbourne.

Duryea finished with 31 touches – at a disposal efficiency of more than 90 per cent – to provide the Bulldogs with plenty of drive out of defence (six rebound-50s) and into attack (six inside-50s).

After missing two months of the season with a hip injury, Duryea has now settled in, and is making an impact in a Bulldogs’ side that has won four of its past five matches.

“It was just one of those games that panned out my way personally, but I’m just happy to be part of the make-up of that back seven and starting to have a positive influence on the group,” Duryea told media on Wednesday.

“Obviously I was out for a little while being injured, but I’m starting to find my feet and getting to used to playing with a new club.”

The Bulldogs will encounter St Kilda this week – led by interim coach Brett Ratten, a former assistant coach in Duryea’s time at Hawthorn.

A win would edge the Bulldogs closer to the top eight.

“They’re probably going to come out with some extra venom,” Duryea said.

“But I think out position with where we are right now, we just have to continue to play good footy and that’s what we’re doing.

“Our focus doesn’t change… we just want to keep improving on what we’re doing.”

Gun midfielder Tom Liberatore is expected to return from a knee injury, in what would be a “massive lift”.

"When they’re firing it's a really tough midfield to play against, and I think it's one of the best midfields in the game,” Duryea said.

“So to have (Tom) come back in and complement all the work that ‘Bont’ and ‘Dunks’ have been doing would be fantastic.”

Another potential inclusion will be star half-back Caleb Daniel, who is pushing to return from a hamstring.

And Duryea says there is room for he and Daniel to form a damaging partnership in defence.

“I played in a bit of a different role to Caleb, I think we complement each other well,” he said.

“He’s going to step back into the side, no doubt, when he’s ready to go and continue to have an impact.

“If we can complement each other and work together, I’m sure we can both be potent with the ball-in-hand.”

bulldogtragic
18-07-2019, 12:58 PM
I demand a royalty for this article.

Axe Man
18-07-2019, 01:12 PM
I demand a royalty for this article.

Ha, I thought of posting it in your Career Best thread but didn't want to muddy it.

bornadog
18-07-2019, 01:48 PM
I think it's one of the best midfields in the game,” Duryea said. ”

Who has a better midfield? no one.:)

Bulldog Joe
18-07-2019, 02:47 PM
I was not enthusuastic about Duryea coming to the club, but he has been a fantastic addition.

It is noticeable that we have defended significantly better with him in the side.

Twodogs
18-07-2019, 07:26 PM
Sounds like they are expecting Bont to be available.

Testekill
21-07-2019, 10:11 AM
Yeah I wasn't for Duryea either because I felt he was just depth in a position that we're pretty strong in; will admit being wrong on this because he has been phenemonal since he established himself in the team.

Ghost Dog
21-07-2019, 12:10 PM
Yeah I wasn't for Duryea either because I felt he was just depth in a position that we're pretty strong in; will admit being wrong on this because he has been phenemonal since he established himself in the team.

He's a better kick than a lot of our players.

GVGjr
21-07-2019, 12:19 PM

It's a shame he was injured for so long because it's just taken a lot longer for people to see his value.

Dry Rot
21-07-2019, 12:33 PM
Is it a coincidence that we seem to be defending a lot better with Duryea in and Caleb Daniel out?

1eyedog
21-07-2019, 01:38 PM
Is it a coincidence that we seem to be defending a lot better with Duryea in and Caleb Daniel out?

Caleb Daniel to the half forward line!

Bulldog4life
21-07-2019, 03:16 PM
Caleb Daniel to the half forward line!

I like it.

bulldogtragic
26-08-2019, 08:21 PM
Worst case scenario if we lost next week, then Duryea costs pick 66 this year. Another good Moneyball trade.

comrade
26-08-2019, 08:25 PM
Worst case scenario if we lost next week, then Duryea costs pick 66 this year. Another good Moneyball trade.

Unbelievable pick up. Really strong overhead, uses it very well on his left and has a real calming presence. He’s exactly what our defence needed.

Hotdog60
26-08-2019, 08:30 PM
He seems to go about his business without a lot fuss and fanfare. But I think we suffered when he was out for those few weeks.

macca
26-08-2019, 11:31 PM
He seems to go about his business without a lot fuss and fanfare. But I think we suffered when he was out for those few weeks.

His gotten better playing for us. He had a poor disposal reputation at hawks. Clarkson tends to let these players go early .

I think his playing within his means. And to his strengths .

Fantastic pickup and thank you Taylor for choosing us !

ledge
29-08-2019, 12:05 PM
Clarkson has made some strange decisions regarding list management , not sure and don’t think it’s salary cap issues, he has let SUckling, Duryea Lewis and Hodge go but kept on Burgoyne and Roughead, not saying they aren’t good players but he would have got more years out of who he let go. Roughead was only going to slow up and struggle and Burgoyne at his age was a huge gamble to keep.
Hodge and Lewis would have been good teachers as has been shown, and you would have got more years and experience out of SUckling and Duryea , I am sure they would have had players who struggle in the list to drop them than get rid of all these players.

comrade
29-08-2019, 12:11 PM
Clarkson has made some strange decisions regarding list management , not sure and don’t think it’s salary cap issues, he has let SUckling, Duryea Lewis and Hodge go but kept on Burgoyne and Roughead, not saying they aren’t good players but he would have got more years out of who he let go. Roughead was only going to slow up and struggle and Burgoyne at his age was a huge gamble to keep.
Hodge and Lewis would have been good teachers as has been shown, and you would have got more years and experience out of SUckling and Duryea , I am sure they would have had players who struggle in the list to drop them than get rid of all these players.

They look set to contend again without going anywhere near bottom 4. They know what they’re doing.

Mantis
30-08-2019, 01:41 PM
They look set to contend again without going anywhere near bottom 4. They know what they’re doing.

They’re also an old side.

Last week they had average games played of 135 games, ours was 75... they keep hanging in there, but I’m not sure how sustainable it is.

Twodogs
30-08-2019, 01:47 PM

Last week they had average games played of 135 games, ours was 75... they keep hanging in there, but I’m not sure how sustainable it is.

They are still an old side even when you take their retirements/delistings over the last couple of years into consideration.

Topdog
31-08-2019, 09:02 AM

The team that played the Eagles was a great mix age wise worth Burgoyne the only real old timer for the Hawks.

Bulldog Joe
31-08-2019, 09:11 AM
The team that played the Eagles was a great mix age wise worth Burgoyne the only real old timer for the Hawks.

They had 4 players under 50 games, 6 more under 100 and the rest over 150.

They were on average 1 yr older and 5 games more experienced than the Eagles. They continue to stretch the envelope.

Twodogs
31-08-2019, 10:57 AM
They had 4 players under 50 games, 6 more under 100 and the rest over 150.

They were on average 1 yr older and 5 games more experienced than the Eagles. They continue to stretch the envelope.

With that sort of games ratio you'd want to be making finals at the least. That's a massive gap in the group you would normally be moulding your next leadership group from.

azabob
25-07-2021, 09:25 AM
Pick 59. That’s what this guy cost.

Another great game last night. Love everything he brings to our club.

Second hardest player at the club behind Liberatore.

Now will be the back line general for a few weeks while Keath is out.

GVGjr
25-07-2021, 10:57 AM

It's a good observation.

There is often some hesitancy in bringing in players from other club but he has been one of the generals of our back line since he arrived and he has been one of the more consistent performers.
It's a shame he missed so much football last year.

AshMac
25-07-2021, 11:06 AM

There’s an element of Matty Boyd in him. Hard working, strong ethic, leader on the field and behind the scenes and no frills - playing outstanding footy in the late years of his career

Testekill
25-07-2021, 11:14 AM
He's been one of our best all season. With no Wood for large chunks of the year and Crozier being down on form, he's been that defensive general and quite a handy stopper. Potentially top 5 in our B&F, absolutely top 10.

EasternWest
25-07-2021, 11:45 AM
He's been so good this year. Incredibly tough, smart and a good user. I'm a huge fan.

He's on the Sunday Footy Show right now and he's a great speaker. Stupid, sexy Ramsay Bolton.

whythelongface
25-07-2021, 12:31 PM
There’s an element of Matty Boyd in him. Hard working, strong ethic, leader on the field and behind the scenes and no frills - playing outstanding footy in the late years of his career

Good comparison. He is like the General down back and provides experience from his Hawks days.

bornadog
25-07-2021, 01:10 PM
Good comparison. He is like the General down back and provides experience from his Hawks days.

I have said it a few times, he organises our backline along with the Chief.

Go_Dogs
25-07-2021, 01:41 PM
Become a very important cog in our team defence.

Reads the play, is tough, uses the ball well. Like the Boyd comparison actually. They look very different doing what they do, but it’s a similar type role / importance for the side.

bornadog
30-10-2022, 12:32 PM
Doc has been a great acquisition for the dogs, despite missing a few games due to injury. Tough as nails and controls the defence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KC6r46dUKWY

F'scary
30-10-2022, 02:09 PM
Doc has been a great acquisition for the dogs, despite missing a few games due to injury. Tough as nails and controls the defence.

I agree, but have you spoken to any The Family Club supporters about him? The ones I have, didn't rate him, were happy to see him go and couldn't believe anyone paid anything for him. He was a whipping boy with them, by their own admission. Their take on him was that he could only be relied on ultimately to stuff things up. If he did something good, then straight away he would do something doubly bad.

bornadog
30-10-2022, 02:41 PM
I agree, but have you spoken to any The Family Club supporters about him? The ones I have, didn't rate him, were happy to see him go and couldn't believe anyone paid anything for him. He was a whipping boy with them, by their own admission. Their take on him was that he could only be relied on ultimately to stuff things up. If he did something good, then straight away he would do something doubly bad.

I don't care what they say. I only rate what I have seen, and he has done well.

EasternWest
30-10-2022, 03:32 PM
I don't care what they say. I only rate what I have seen, and he has done well.

Yeah he's been good for us, but I worry about his body this year.

GVGjr
30-10-2022, 04:02 PM

A couple of parochial Hawks colleagues regarded him as a very good player in a good team but not someone you can rely on in the bigger games. At Ballarat games it's a lot easier to see the value in him in the way he organises his other men's club colleagues and at some training sessions I've seen him driving some team mates in the rehab group sessions.
Just getting on the park frequently enough is his challenge.

I can see him moving into coaching after his playing days are over over.

Grantysghost
30-10-2022, 04:05 PM
Ok player, solid when fit.

Good leadership traits, I think that's important in a club that lacks natural leaders off the field as much as on.

mjp
30-10-2022, 04:40 PM
Duryea's been great. I'm sure he will continue to be great.

We still need to be planning for him to finish up - he's getting old now and always seems to miss a few weeks with injury each year...those week's shouldn't be an 'adventure' - it should be clear that when Duryea is out, "Player-X" is in as the #1 small defender.

Who is "player-x"? Goodness knows!

Swoop
30-10-2022, 05:50 PM
This is why Sydney Stack is the most appealing of all the DFA's. I can only speak for his on field talents, and it's not fair for me to pass judgement on his mental state behind closed doors.

I believe he has a lot of desirable attributes. Specifically, if Duryea and even Richards are out, he does have the ability to match up on a Charlie Cameron type who hurt us this year.

Wings have also been a problem in years gone by, and the absence of Hunter only compounds this problem. Stack does have the ability to play this role.

Finally, it's been well documented the need for more forward pressure in our front 50. Stack can apply pressure and has x-factor.

Rookie's all have risks, provided we can support Stack and he buys in, he has the biggest potential to be successful with multiple roles and opportunities available. Is our culture strong enough? If not, it is fair to ask why it isn't up to standard.

Twodogs
30-10-2022, 08:49 PM
This is why Sydney Stack is the most appealing of all the DFA's. I can only speak for his on field talents, and it's not fair for me to pass judgement on his mental state behind closed doors.

I believe he has a lot of desirable attributes. Specifically, if Duryea and even Richards are out, he does have the ability to match up on a Charlie Cameron type who hurt us this year.

Wings have also been a problem in years gone by, and the absence of Hunter only compounds this problem. Stack does have the ability to play this role.

Finally, it's been well documented the need for more forward pressure in our front 50. Stack can apply pressure and has x-factor.

Rookie's all have risks, provided we can support Stack and he buys in, he has the biggest potential to be successful with multiple roles and opportunities available. Is our culture strong enough? If not, it is fair to ask why it isn't up to standard.

Good post. Completely agree. Stack's skill set fills a couple of roles for us. As you say if we don't trust our culture to help with some of his challenges then why not? And what are we doing to address it?

angelopetraglia
13-05-2024, 09:32 AM
200 games for Duryea this week. He has played an important roles since coming back into the team this year and his leadership down back is going to be missed when he hangs up the boots.

josie
13-05-2024, 01:01 PM
Been a great pickup. Reliable disposal, calm head. Thought he was cooked last year but looking regenerated this season.

Congrats Taylor.

Hoping he is imparting his knowledge to our younger players.

bornadog
13-05-2024, 02:16 PM
Been a great pickup. Reliable disposal, calm head. Thought he was cooked last year but looking regenerated this season.

Congrats Taylor.

Hoping he is imparting his knowledge to our younger players.

He has been a real success, and will be hard to replace.

The Bulldogs Bite
13-05-2024, 04:54 PM
One of our best trades ever.

Critically underrated by our own let alone the media.

Showed signs of decline last year, but has come back and had a very good 2024.

He was brilliant in 2021 and who could forget that run with Charlie Cameron in the SF?

Congrats Doc.

azabob
13-05-2024, 05:20 PM
Future fourth round pick we gave up for Duryea.

Has always been a favourite of mine since day one at the club.

Well done Doc on 200 games.

Bullies
15-05-2024, 10:57 AM
Just hope the Doc stays on in a coaching capacity when he hangs them up.

Can't underestimate the amount of "coaching" he does down back and it is no surprise when he is not playing the guys can lose their way. Enjoy watching him play at Ballarat where you can hear him directing traffic down back. He doesn't shut up telling blokes when to go and when to come back.

He is already being sounded out as a future coach in waiting.

GVGjr
15-05-2024, 11:17 AM
Just hope the Doc stays on in a coaching capacity when he hangs them up.

Can't underestimate the amount of "coaching" he does down back and it is no surprise when he is not playing the guys can lose their way. Enjoy watching him play at Ballarat where you can hear him directing traffic down back. He doesn't shut up telling blokes when to go and when to come back.

He is already being sounded out as a future coach in waiting.

I think he's a natural to be a development coach and I wonder if it could be with us.

ledge
15-05-2024, 12:38 PM
I think he's a natural to be a development coach and I wonder if it could be with us.

Liam jones is also great with instruction.

bornadog
16-05-2024, 03:34 PM
EW hoping he continues in a new career
https://scontent.fmel16-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/436175711_762341752752924_3772196173661614274_n.jpg?_nc_cat= 1&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5f2048&_nc_ohc=uQK0PTuF_vEQ7kNvgFSKYWa&_nc_ht=scontent.fmel16-1.fna&cb_e2o_trans=t&oh=00_AYDARATYAWjo3IvCaCIRWOXgEZroaCE2vX60k_vV55VyRw&oe=664B52B7

Bulldog Revolution
16-05-2024, 03:53 PM
One of our best trades ever.

Critically underrated by our own let alone the media.

Showed signs of decline last year, but has come back and had a very good 2024.

He was brilliant in 2021 and who could forget that run with Charlie Cameron in the SF?

Congrats Doc.

Great post TBB - one of the most underrated players of the past 20 years - even Hawthorn underestimated him.

bornadog
16-05-2024, 04:13 PM
Talking to a Hawthorn mate who had something to do with Doc when he was recruited, said he showed traces of a future coach from a young age.

EasternWest
16-05-2024, 04:14 PM
EW hoping he continues in a new career
https://scontent.fmel16-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/436175711_762341752752924_3772196173661614274_n.jpg?_nc_cat= 1&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5f2048&_nc_ohc=uQK0PTuF_vEQ7kNvgFSKYWa&_nc_ht=scontent.fmel16-1.fna&cb_e2o_trans=t&oh=00_AYDARATYAWjo3IvCaCIRWOXgEZroaCE2vX60k_vV55VyRw&oe=664B52B7

I'm sorry but Ramsay Bolton has no business in the fire brigade:).

bornadog
16-05-2024, 04:44 PM
I'm sorry but Ramsay Bolton has no business in the fire brigade:).

haha, he does look like him :D
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/5e/Ramsay_Bolton-_-Iwan_Rheon.jpg

Eastdog
16-05-2024, 05:00 PM
Well done Taylor on 200 games career games.

Very good pickup. He has had a very good season so far as many of us thought in 2023 he was pretty much done.

Great experience in that backline.

bornadog
17-05-2024, 04:55 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vjt4N5oPs2s&ab_channel=WesternBulldogs

Go_Dogs
17-05-2024, 09:08 PM
I definitely never appreciated he was such a tough and courageous player before he joined us.

Exactly the type of back pocket every club wants at least one of.