PDA

View Full Version : Rating The Trade Period 2018

bulldogtragic
17-10-2018, 09:19 PM
Outs

Adams - Pick 32, Suns 3rd rounder 2019
Dahl - Pick 27
Roughy - Essentially delisted to the home of his choice, Pick 75 we won't use and has no draft points

Ins -

Lloyd - Pick 64
Duryea - 2019 4th rounder

Rate it.

DOG GOD
17-10-2018, 09:21 PM
Outs

Adams - Pick 32, Suns 3rd rounder 2019
Dahl - Pick 27
Roughy - Essentially delisted to the home of his choice, Pick 75 we won't use and has no draft points

Ins -

Lloyd - Pick 64
Duryea - 2019 4th rounder

Rate it.

Simple BT

E

Testekill
17-10-2018, 09:23 PM
I'd give it a C. It's disappointing that Dahlhaus was valued lower than Motlop but he was shocking this year, was done with Adams and I wish Roughead all the luck in the world but he was physically cooked.
Meanwhile we bought in some mature talent although I'm completely unimpressed with the Duryea trade. However both players were also basically free hits so we haven't given up anything of value.

It was mostly a lateral move but we'll see how our list looks after the draft.

bulldogtragic
17-10-2018, 09:26 PM
I'd give it a C. It's disappointing that Dahlhaus was valued lower than Motlop but he was shocking this year, was done with Adams and I wish Roughead all the luck in the world but he was physically cooked.
Meanwhile we bought in some mature talent although I'm completely unimpressed with the Duryea trade. However both players were also basically free hits so we haven't given up anything of value.

It was mostly a lateral move but we'll see how our list looks after the draft.

Was pretty much a crab move so far. Gowers & Lynch were already playing senior footy this year. Duryea & Lloyd don't move us much ahead, not backwards. A big sideways move. 7, 32 with West & Khamis certainly moves us forward though. Albeit the youngest 22 most weeks again next year.

Rocket Science
17-10-2018, 09:27 PM
With so much obvious faith placed in the draft, it's a little more difficult to appraise until, well ... ask me in 5 years.

I suppose we picked the right draft to do it with.

In truth, I'd posit Adams, Dahlhaus and Roughy are addition by subtraction. while the new blokes are mature, low-risk place holders until more of the kids dislodge them.

I'm pissed off everyone got a lollypop except us, but that'll subside if we start winning more than we lose.

A resigned C from me at this point though.

Testekill
17-10-2018, 09:27 PM
Was pretty much a crab move so far. Gowers & Lynch were already playing senior footy this year. Duryea & Lloyd don't move us much ahead, not backwards. A big sideways move. 7, 32 with West & Khamis certainly moves us forward though. Albeit the youngest 22 most weeks again next year.

Like I said; very lateral. We didn't make big plays but we didn't cough up anything that actually hurts us.

The Bulldogs Bite
17-10-2018, 09:28 PM
E.

Addressed very little of our weaknesses

In fact, we created new ones given we now have no ruck depth and very little kpd depth

Greystache
17-10-2018, 09:30 PM
E

At least we're looking to be consistent across the spectrum of the club. As dull off the field as on it. I haven't felt this unenthusiastic about football since the 2018 season.

josie
17-10-2018, 09:32 PM
We might bring in a few mature players from VFL.

DOG GOD
17-10-2018, 09:32 PM
E.

In fact, we created new ones given we now have no ruck depth and very little kpd depth

Same E for mine...I agree with all the above

bulldogtragic
17-10-2018, 09:33 PM
E.

Creating a problem of making Boyd and his back issues ruck. Ruck a lot if Tim's boots aren't fixed yet. Then all the pressure on Schache to hold up a forward line as a sole forward. We should've at least addressed the ruck problem. The rookie draft will have absolutely exhausted any good depth ricks by then.

G-Mo77
17-10-2018, 09:33 PM
E-

We called ourselves players for this trade period after the season. Fast forward to today we pick up 2 guys who's clubs don't want them and we lose more experience to our completely unbalanced list.

anfo27
17-10-2018, 09:34 PM
Its a D from me purely based on our negotiating skills or lack there of.

Fremantle showed how to do things. Was impressed with what they officially came out with & in the end got what they wanted & payed what they wanted by understanding their hand. We had a good hand with Adams & did nothing with it. Sometimes you have to be prepared to not get a deal done just to get what you want.

SonofScray
17-10-2018, 09:35 PM
D

Missed our most exciting target.
Got younger and less experienced.
Conservative ins, not sexy but some merit.
Made hard calls on premiership players.

Not all bad, but the Wingard trade was a lynch pin for me.

GVGjr
17-10-2018, 09:36 PM
I might be looking at this the wrong way but I'd say

Out
A very distracted player and one that distracted others
In
Pick 27

Out
An often injured player
In
Pick 32 and a 3rd rounder in 2019 (to be confirmed)

Out
Pick 64
In
Sam Lloyd

Out
A 2019 3rd round pick
In
A 2 time premiership player in Taylor Duryea

Out
Jordan Roughead
In
Not much

In terms of addressing our needs it's been a D
In terms of working on improving the culture and attitude of the playing group it's probably a C

bulldogtragic
17-10-2018, 09:36 PM
Our social media was openly talking about Wingard. That's not pissing into the wind at all.

It's a side point. But we put out first round currency and good money for the industry to see, and still couldnt organise a big name player in a brothel.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
17-10-2018, 09:39 PM
I'd rate it as uninspiring.
If we had a long term plan we were working towards leading into this year's trade period, it did not seem well articulated. Wingard seemed an opportunistic attempt..which I feel we clumsily handled.
On paper we look a less balanced team than we were going in. Furthermore we did not manage to leverage Adams into a better outcome. I'd have preferred to keep him given he still had 2 years.
I'd be interested to see how bt assesses our current picks based on likeky bids for West and Khamis.
Is 27 a waste still, now that we have 32?

hujsh
17-10-2018, 09:40 PM
I'll reserve judgement until all the pick swapping and draft is done. Ultimately we've gone heavy on the draft and traded in no one of real note so it'll depend on what kind of players we pick up and if we can use the F/S system to our advantage at all.

If 27 is used on West I'll be very frustrated.

bulldogtragic
17-10-2018, 09:43 PM
I'd rate it as uninspiring.
If we had a long term plan we were working towards leading into this year's trade period, it did not seem well planned. Wingard seemed an opportunistic attempt..which I feel we clumsily handled.
On paper we look a less balanced team than we were going in. Furthermore we did not manage to leverage Adams into a better outcome. I'd have preferred to keep him given he still had 2 years.
I'd be interested to see how bt assesses our current picks based on likeky bids for West and Khamis.
Is 27 a waste still, now that we have 32?

West will suck up 27 most likely in its totality. If we are lucky that's where it stops. If West goes higher then 32 will slide down the order. But I think 32 will be a live pick assuming Khamis comes in later. I have to guess that Power took the offer to the recruiters and they like something around the mark. Like it enough to hand over Adams for them.

josie
17-10-2018, 09:44 PM
Let’s see how Lloyd and Dureya go. We’ve been pretty good at bringing in fringe players and getting value from them. Pity we did not get Wingard however nice to keep pick 7 and our 2019 first. Roughy looks spent and we did the right thing by him letting him play elsewhere. After draft night I think we will be smiling. I am fascinated about whether we keep Honey and Campbell. Hoping no for Honey, and if no mature VFL rucks better than Campbell possibly keep him.

DOG GOD
17-10-2018, 09:47 PM
Let’s see how Lloyd and Dureya go. We’ve been pretty good at bringing in fringe players and getting value from them. Pity we did not get Wingard however nice to keep pick 7 and our 2019 first. Roughy looks spent and we did the right thing by him letting him play elsewhere. After draft night I think we will be smiling. I am fascinated about whether we keep Honey and Campbell. Hoping no for Honey, and if no mature VFL rucks better than Campbell possibly keep him.

If honey remains on the list, I’m changing my E to an almighty F

bulldogtragic
17-10-2018, 09:49 PM
I'll reserve judgement until all the pick swapping and draft is done. Ultimately we've gone heavy on the draft and traded in no one of real note so it'll depend on what kind of players we pick up and if we can use the F/S system to our advantage at all.

If 27 is used on West I'll be very frustrated.

Sydney are in the same boat as us. They almost own pick 30-40 to abuse the draft points system. We didn't do much of it for whatever reason.

If West goes at about 18, then 27 is wiped out.
Pick 32 is used live.
Say Khamis bids in at 35, then that wipes out or nearly wipes out 45 & 63.

At this stage, my bet from the draft analysis posted on here and media is:

Pick 7 - Maybe a King brother
Pick 27 - West
Pick 32 - Another kid
Picks 45 & 63 - Khamis
Pick 75 - Pass

hujsh
17-10-2018, 09:54 PM
If honey remains on the list, I’m changing my E to an almighty F

Kind of with you on the sentiment. There must be some kid or state league player worth a punt in Honey's spot.

Dancin' Douggy
17-10-2018, 09:56 PM
OK. I've had several seconds to think about it.
And I posted something recently about my predictions/hopes so I'll stand by that.

Dalhaus out. good for list balance. Compensation? a little under, but not criminal.
Adams out? good for list balance. Compensation? a little under, but not utterly criminal.
Roughead out? This I really don't understand. for pick 75? I just think we're a better club, team, and place with Roughy around.
This is me seriously questioning Beveridge's judgement. For the first time openly and publicly. I think this is wrong.

Missing out on Wingard, May and whoever else we may have been linked to? I don't care.

I'm happy to go to the draft with pick 7, and my prediction is that we will never regret it.

Hawks paid over for Wingard in the end.

Melbourne got a SWEET deal to get May and Kolij.......etc. But....... we really didn't need those types.

So............ really a very bland experience overall, but..........not the disaster some people are calling it.

And........on Marcus Adams, if you recorded the last game in Ballarat dogs v power, you might suddenly cheer up a bit about that trade.

hujsh
17-10-2018, 09:57 PM
Sydney are in the same boat as us. They almost own pick 30-40 to abuse the draft points system. We didn't do much of it for whatever reason.

If West goes at about 18, then 27 is wiped out.
Pick 32 is used live.
Say Khamis bids in at 35, then that wipes out or nearly wipes out 45 & 63.

At this stage, my bet from the draft analysis posted on here and media is:

Pick 7 - Maybe a King brother
Pick 27 - West
Pick 32 - Another kid
Picks 45 & 63 - Khamis
Pick 75 - Pass

It's not the worst outcome but... not inspiring either.

The Bulldogs Bite
17-10-2018, 10:04 PM
Power quoted as saying our aim was to improve our draft position during this period...

... I could have sworn the club was saying it’s object was to add experience to the list - not become younger - after our loss to Richmond.

So what are we doing? Rebuilding? 2 years after a flag with what was one of the youngest lists to win a premiership? Awesome.

Sedat
17-10-2018, 10:19 PM
I'll rate it much higher once we sign Bont to a long term deal and get Libba re-contracted.

ratsmac
17-10-2018, 10:24 PM
Power quoted as saying our aim was to improve our draft position during this period...

... I could have sworn the club was saying it’s object was to add experience to the list - not become younger - after our loss to Richmond.

So what are we doing? Rebuilding? 2 years after a flag with what was one of the youngest lists to win a premiership? Awesome.

I think Bevo meant everyone would be a year older next year :p

SlimPickens
17-10-2018, 10:54 PM
Made out like Bandits with the Adams deal, the future third was great for a bloke who struggles to get on the park.

Lloyd and Duryea add experience and hopefully a brilliant work ethic.

I give us a C, we have a good hand at the draft and can add some real talent.

Eastdog
17-10-2018, 11:00 PM

Campbell hopefully we see him get more of a chance now next year. See what he can do. Just hasn't had enough games.

Eastdog
17-10-2018, 11:07 PM
E

At least we're looking to be consistent across the spectrum of the club. As dull off the field as on it. I haven't felt this unenthusiastic about football since the 2018 season.

On field needs to be better but off field we are doing quite well I reckon.

bornadog
17-10-2018, 11:13 PM
We went into the trade period without a second rounder and have gained a couple of experienced players. Dahl has been ordinary the past two years, Roughy is struggling as a ruckman and can't play other positions, and Adams has been plagued with injury, so we didn't lose much. I rate our trade period a B. WE got some 2nd round picks and we hold on to pick 7, gain another first rounder in West.

Overall we have a better team going into 2019

Flamethrower
17-10-2018, 11:45 PM
Pluses
- Didn't lose Tim English
- Got the fragile Marcus Adams and cooked Jordan Roughead off our books
- Traded in Sam Lloyd - small forwards who can kick straight are worth gold in today's game
- Kept pick 7

Minuses
- Missed out on Wingard and May
- Got unders for Luke Dahlhaus

Overall rating = C

FrediKanoute
18-10-2018, 02:25 AM
For mine May was never on the table and did we really need him? Not for the price Melbourne paid.

Dahl leaving is not great, but the given his Instagram feed and his form drop off it was probably win for both parties. 27 is a little less than we would have hoped for, but probably right.

Adams - I think we made out like bandits. Pick 2 will probably be a live pick and a third round pick linked to the Suns means that it will be a natural pick in the late 30's unless a miracle happens.

Lloyd - solid citizen who is an upgrade on Honeychurch

DUryea - solid citizen who will keep he pressure on our HBF and maybe get a few games

Keeping pick 7 - Chad would have been nice, but I still think we can make finals without him. He is a hot and cold player and I don't see that changing at the Hawks - I suspect he will have a big pre-season look like a star for 5 rounds and then return to type.

Overall a C for me.

jeemak
18-10-2018, 03:18 AM
I'm reasonably satisfied.

We had a crack at an A-grader but weren't prepared to offer what he was wanting, and got pipped by a better credentialed club.

Aside from that we improved our list marginally and kept pick seven without doing anything silly. Not sure what other deals were realistic chances of being done beyond what we did, I suppose we'll find out in due course.

Remi Moses
18-10-2018, 07:55 AM
I’m ok with it
Young blokes come into the system ready to go now .
Dahlhaus- As G said a big destractor and played distracted the last two years
Ok with the compo
Adams - Made of glass , and as a mate calls him . Cinderella
Overs in return
Roughead - Great clubman , but see above
Didn’t expect much in return

In- Lloyd , copping a bagging on here, but if Richmond has one injury in the last two years . He would have played.
Dureya , better kicking version of Biggs .
I think a few here underestimate how quickly draftees can impact on a club .
I’m disappointed we didn’t get our main target in Wingard , but the pick 7 retained eases the pain .
D
Imagine if we were Gold Coast or GWS , that would have broken woof .

Grantysghost
18-10-2018, 08:43 AM
Only three players interested me at all. Shiel, Wingard, Lynch. We had a big crack at Chad and the way I read it the Hawks were prepared to offer more so they got their man but I think they've paid a high price. No one else traded in my eyes would be better than what we can get from this draft. I'm not sold on May.

ledge
18-10-2018, 09:07 AM
I’m ok with it , in the end we lost four players due to injuries who couldn’t get on the park, traded two for two who can.
It’s like we have got two more players on our list and another two who aren’t injury prone to come .
So In effect 4 extra players on our list.

AshMac
18-10-2018, 09:54 AM
C

We went hard on need, not on names. I’d have loved Scully at that price, when fit he’d be perfect for us IMO. I think we need an elite outside mid and an electric forward and there wasn’t much on offer that we had a shot at. Neale always to Brisbane and beams always to pies. Shiel and Wingard the only 2 I’d have thrown the sink at - though jury is out on a Wingard so time will tell. Not a fan of any player that publicly says footy isn’t important to him at 25 yo and takes his gaming rig with him on interstate trips (if true). His body language stank this season IMO.

The thing I am exhausted with is us being a plan b for players. First choice is always bombers, pies, hawks etc and I’m sick of this reputation as a basket case AFL club. Until we address that we’re nevwr going to attract genuine A-Graders, which if we have a proper tilt in a year or two we are going to need to do.

ledge
18-10-2018, 10:22 AM
C

We went hard on need, not on names. I’d have loved Scully at that price, when fit he’d be perfect for us IMO. I think we need an elite outside mid and an electric forward and there wasn’t much on offer that we had a shot at. Neale always to Brisbane and beams always to pies. Shiel and Wingard the only 2 I’d have thrown the sink at - though jury is out on a Wingard so time will tell. Not a fan of any player that publicly says footy isn’t important to him at 25 yo and takes his gaming rig with him on interstate trips (if true). His body language stank this season IMO.

The thing I am exhausted with is us being a plan b for players. First choice is always bombers, pies, hawks etc and I’m sick of this reputation as a basket case AFL club. Until we address that we’re nevwr going to attract genuine A-Graders, which if we have a proper tilt in a year or two we are going to need to do.

That’s a very outside view us being a basket case in fact we are the opposite on and off the field , off field we have destroyed all debt and make a good profit every year now.
The last 4 years we have won an AFL flag , 2 VFL flags and even a woman’s one, apart from the hawks we are probably the most successful in the last 4 years.
Last year our player profile was shown in history would win a wooden spoon but we ended up better than a few clubs, as an article says previously we actually overperformed.

It’s a total furphy we are a basket case.

Eastdog
18-10-2018, 10:24 AM
Not too bad.

We have brought in some experienced guys in Sam Lloyd and Taylor Durayea who will help us forward and back. We have lost Adams who while I would have liked to hang on to him longer was very injury prone which was frustrating, Roughy needed a new challenge and Dahlhaus well I'm not dissapointed he left with some of the attitudinal issues he had. Dahl hasn't been the same player for a while now.

Wingard was the big one we were going for so a little dissapointed we didn't get him but hey it's not the end of the world that we didn't get him.

Big year for Tom Campbell who I hope can do well and get more senior game time in the ruck.

Remi Moses
18-10-2018, 10:29 AM
C

A basket case ? Gee there’s some over the top hysteria on social forums . Clubs never been further away from being a basket case .
Thank god there wasn’t social forums in 96 or 89 . We’ve missed out on two big plays ,Hurleyand Wingard . I get the frustration, but let’s not overplay the situation

bulldogsthru&thru
18-10-2018, 10:52 AM
I don't get the negativity. Sure, it wasn't a flashy trade period but it doesn't always have to be. Until we become a finals contender we simply won't attract any decent names.

The additions of Lloyd and Dureya are decent depth additions that cost us very little. So can't complain at all. Like others have said, if they aren't getting a game, that can only be a good thing (unless they're injured of course :rolleyes: )

The Adams trade would have looked very good if it was Gold Coasts 3rd rounder rather than the Hawks' but its much of a muchness. Our draft position is fairly good. I would have liked for that Dahl pick to be traded for something more valuable than going straight to West. Will be interesting to see what pick trades are done between now and the draft.

I'm happy we've kept pick 7. We're going to get a very very good kid whether it be Smith or King. I really want Smith but i can't see it happening. I'm trying to come around to B King. He does look good but tall blokes playing against midgets in the U18 will always look better than they are. But he sure does have superb agility for a big man. Bailey Smith will just be a jet. He will be that burst away mid that we crave. He's almost a guaranteed success such is his work ethic.

Missing out on Chad is the main disappointment. More so because we hyped ourselves up. I'm a bit confused as to why we became so public about it. We'll just have to add him to the list of players we want to see fade away! I'm not really fussed though because the price we would have had to have paid would have been very high going by what the Hawks gave up. I wouldn't have been comfortable giving up more than pick 7 and to be frank, the last thing i can stand right now is another player with questionable work rate. I've had enough of that since 2016.

I'm giving us a solid B. It can't be much more as we achieved very little. But it wasn't a failure. We haven't gone backwards and we didn't lose on any deals. We've got a solid draft hand and will pick up some great kids.

Eastdog
18-10-2018, 11:11 AM
A basket case ? Gee there’s some over the top hysteria on social forums . Clubs never been further away from being a basket case .
Thank god there wasn’t social forums in 96 or 89 . We’ve missed out on two big plays ,Hurleyand Wingard . I get the frustration, but let’s not overplay the situation

Agree RM. We are in a very good state right as a club fininically compared to those years.

G-Mo77
18-10-2018, 12:20 PM
That’s a very outside view us being a basket case in fact we are the opposite on and off the field , off field we have destroyed all debt and make a good profit every year now.
The last 4 years we have won an AFL flag , 2 VFL flags and even a woman’s one, apart from the hawks we are probably the most successful in the last 4 years.
Last year our player profile was shown in history would win a wooden spoon but we ended up better than a few clubs, as an article says previously we actually overperformed.

So why aren't we an attractive destination? I mean it wasn't that long ago we won it all but only cast offs looking for a paycheck want to come here now.

ledge
18-10-2018, 12:41 PM
So why aren't we an attractive destination? I mean it wasn't that long ago we won it all but only cast offs looking for a paycheck want to come here now.

We decide who we want not the media for a start .
You want big names for the sake of saying we got a big name ? Big names come with huge pay packets.
They were draft picks on a low wage at one stage , I am happy to have pick 7 and dalhaus came to us as a rookie with which we turned into pick 27 .. Morris and Boyd,a club captain were rookies.
If your development is good you will build a side, big names will be made from that .
Naughton , Richards etc will be very good, your so called cast offs are good footballers who were released due to salary cap pressure not because they are no good.

Bulldog Revolution
18-10-2018, 12:51 PM
All depends on who we draft now

Would be a boom if we didnt have to use either of 27 or 32 on West - but at least one of them will be a live pick

If we nail Naughton and Richards like talents to go with West and Khamis, and a state league option then we've had a great off season

Very much work in progress

G-Mo77
18-10-2018, 12:59 PM
We decide who we want not the media for a start .
You want big names for the sake of saying we got a big name ? Big names come with huge pay packets.
They were draft picks on a low wage at one stage , I am happy to have pick 7 and dalhaus came to us as a rookie with which we turned into pick 27 .. Morris and Boyd,a club captain were rookies.
If your development is good you will build a side, big names will be made from that .
Naughton , Richards etc will be very good, your so called cast offs are good footballers who were released due to salary cap pressure not because they are no good.

I don't necessarily want a big name (although it would be nice to hear Kelly saying he chooses us after next season) I want the club to be an attractive destination for players. You listed all these good things about our club which are true so why can't we attract players?

bornadog
18-10-2018, 02:36 PM
I don't necessarily want a big name (although it would be nice to hear Kelly saying he chooses us after next season) I want the club to be an attractive destination for players. You listed all these good things about our club which are true so why can't we attract players?

Chad said he was attracted to the Hawks because of the indigenous players, plus big crowds and.coached by Clarkson.

AshMac
18-10-2018, 08:42 PM

To be very clear, as a couple getting upset, I’m not calling us a basket case - I’m saying we have a poor reputation as a club.

All players from other clubs have an outside view. There is a reason stars don’t want to
come to us but they want to go to the bombers a year after they sent the entire league into disrepute.

A lot of upside in our administration and facilities now but we are clearly not a destination club, players don’t want to come to us, and it’s more than ladder position.

DOG GOD
18-10-2018, 10:00 PM
Players want the opportunities for not only a chance of a premiership, but for multiple finals appearance, playing in front of a huge fan base, and blockbuster games.

If you are a star player coming from a mid to low club in particular, you aren’t going to choose a similar club to go too, and as long as the AFL continue to give blockbuster games to the big 5 (cwood, hawthorn, Richmond, Essendon and Geelong) they will always get the big player over north, dogs, saints, and that will likely never change.