PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the Bulldogs: Bailey Smith

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15

Grantysghost
19-08-2024, 09:08 PM
Are you telling me that all those Hawks in the know posters on BF saying 'Smith asked for a trade to the Hawks in private and he's coming to the Hawks so it's either now or end of 24' were all talking shit? I can't believe that so you must be lying.
Well who knows really he may change his mind every week.
The cats have always been on the table though.

The Adelaide Connection
19-08-2024, 09:45 PM
There has been some talk of Lukosius returning to Adelaide that could play a part.

I was genuinely stunned when I heard Lukosius had been dropped- admittedly I haven't seen a Suns game in three or four weeks, but he has been an absolute stalwart and plays well at either end of the ground. At one point all of their play went through him at HB.

Has his form dropped off? Has he stopped doing the team thing? Is there some sort of personality clash?

If Baz wanted to go to the Suns would we be at all interested?

bornadog
19-08-2024, 10:15 PM
I was genuinely stunned when I heard Lukosius had been dropped- admittedly I haven't seen a Suns game in three or four weeks, but he has been an absolute stalwart and plays well at either end of the ground. At one point all of their play went through him at HB.

Has his form dropped off? Has he stopped doing the team thing? Is there some sort of personality clash?

If Baz wanted to go to the Suns would we be at all interested?

Go to post 2467 in this thread

The Adelaide Connection
19-08-2024, 10:24 PM
Go to post 2467 in this thread

Yeah, I saw that mate- that is why I mentioned Lukosius. Assuming he is open to more than just heading back to Adelaide, would he be someone we would be interested in and potentially incorporate into a trade?

Grantysghost
19-08-2024, 10:37 PM
Yeah, I saw that mate- that is why I mentioned Lukosius. Assuming he is open to more than just heading back to Adelaide, would he be someone we would be interested in and potentially incorporate into a trade?
I'd be very open to getting him in.

My gut says he's already going to an Adelaide side though

Feels like a Dimma play.

No way you drop this guy.

AshMac
20-08-2024, 06:20 AM
Ok, now for the million-dollar questions.

Would woofers like to keep Baz at Western Oval, and what would you give money wise to keep him?

Hard no.

I think people forget just how bad he was last year and the year before. Couple that with a self first attitude and he doesn?t strike me as a great teammate let alone player of recent times

azabob
20-08-2024, 07:50 AM
I'd be very open to getting him in.

My gut says he's already going to an Adelaide side though

Feels like a Dimma play.

No way you drop this guy.

I do not see the appeal in Luckosius. Where do you see him playing?

Mofra
20-08-2024, 08:14 AM
Ok, now for the million-dollar questions.

Would woofers like to keep Baz at Western Oval, and what would you give money wise to keep him?
I'd go choose to a million to sign Ed Richards long term instead, and hit the draft with whatever we get for Baz.

Bullies
20-08-2024, 08:14 AM
Hard no.

I think people forget just how bad he was last year and the year before. Couple that with a self first attitude and he doesn?t strike me as a great teammate let alone player of recent times I'd also be happy to let him to go to the pre season draft if the Cats won't give what we want.

Happy Days
20-08-2024, 08:42 AM
I have already moved on in my mind brain and would be happy to trade him as soon as anyone offers a pick inside 15. It already feels like he’s left so anything we get in return seems like a bonus.

GVGjr
20-08-2024, 08:45 AM

I'd say there is zero chance he would consider coming to Melbourne anyway but he should be a decent 3rd tall defender or could swing forward when required. He's normally a very good kick. I doubt we would have him on the radar.

jeemak
20-08-2024, 09:36 AM
Hard no.

I think people forget just how bad he was last year and the year before. Couple that with a self first attitude and he doesn?t strike me as a great teammate let alone player of recent times

Smith was unbelievable in 2022 until his suspension.

The Adelaide Connection
20-08-2024, 09:48 AM

I rate Lukosius tbh. He has elite skills, has a tank, and is 195cm. He can play at either end and would even suit spells on the wing, with the knock being that he struggles to match the big keys for strength and probably needs to be the third tall/defender. He is pretty laconic too, I suspect Hardwick would see him as a bit soft

He kicked 40 goals last year (20 this year), but previously they did use him a lot off HB and tried to get the ball in his hands. He can bite off those zone breaking kicks.

I am not so sure he wouldn't entertain a move to Melbourne- he turned down Adelaide's offers to stay in GC after all. It might just be a case of everyone assuming he is going back there- it wouldn't hurt to ask the question.

Another tall is maybe surplus to our needs, but he is only 24 and would be an upgrade on Buku/Coffield, or could maybe allow Naughton to return to his spiritual home down back.

jazzadogs
20-08-2024, 09:50 AM

Yeh he started the year very very well. Even later in the year he was playing a difficult role well. Ed has shown he is a better two way mid now though which would continue to limit his CBAs.

ledge
20-08-2024, 09:53 AM

Well looks like both have moved on, has it affected our results we will never know but the positive is we certainly get a decent pick / player for him and maybe we get one of a position we need, I think we need to start targeting positions of player retirement in the next two years .. a libba type maybe or a Duryea, jones, Keath, I look at our vfl team and we have definitely got players in to take over future retirees .
It will be interesting to see as our full list is extremely rounded.

bornadog
20-08-2024, 10:35 AM
Yeh he started the year very very well. Even later in the year he was playing a difficult role well. Ed has shown he is a better two way mid now though which would continue to limit his CBAs.

The mids are ageing and he is only 23.

If he doesn't want to be at the club, well we can't force him, but we also don't want to give him away. Two first rounders or PSD are my thoughts. I know that is giving him away, but also different to accepting a 2nd rounder or something stupid like the Dunkley deal.

BornInDroopSt'54
20-08-2024, 10:36 AM
We already have replaced Smith with Sanders.
We are separated but living under the same roof with Smith.
De facto and defunct.

hujsh
20-08-2024, 10:46 AM

If he doesn't want to be at the club, well we can't force him, but we also don't want to give him away. Two first rounders or PSD are my thoughts. I know that is giving him away, but also different to accepting a 2nd rounder or something stupid like the Dunkley deal.

Mids might be aging but 2 of them are in AA/career best form so it makes more sense to prepare Sanders, play Richards and let Bont keep Bonting than expect Smith to wait for his turn at 23. There's also Gags coming along. Him and Sanders seem like appropriate replacements for Libba and Treloar.

jazzadogs
20-08-2024, 10:51 AM

I'm not sure Bailey's thoughts extend past the immediate future and his bank balance.

In 2025 he would still be behind Bont, Treloar and Richards for CBAs, possibly still Libba and competing with Sanders. He wants to be the big fish breaking out of the centre with no defensive accountability.

I completely agree that our list profile says we need to keep the 23yo elite quick mid-forward, but it's not going to happen.

bulldogtragic
20-08-2024, 10:53 AM
I'm not sure Bailey's thoughts extend past the immediate future and his bank balance.

In 2025 he would still be behind Bont, Treloar and Richards for CBAs, possibly still Libba and competing with Sanders. He wants to be the big fish breaking out of the centre with no defensive accountability.

I completely agree that our list profile says we need to keep the 23yo elite quick mid-forward, but it's not going to happen.

And he can’t hit a target to save himself.

Sedat
20-08-2024, 11:12 AM
He has an ideal age profile and has assets we are in short supply of, but it is a moot point. It seems he wants to get some of that #CoAsTaLLiFeStYlE, let him go.

We cash in at season's end, get the best return possible with no distractions and move forward. The argy-bargy between Sam Power and Andrew Mackie will be interesting - both are hard-nosed bastards at the negotiating table.

NoseBleed
20-08-2024, 12:16 PM
At Whitten Oval training today accordin to FB.

Rocco Jones
20-08-2024, 12:21 PM
At Whitten Oval training today accordin to FB.

Really must be inspiring to the boys seeing him turn up to his current workplace.

jazzadogs
20-08-2024, 12:23 PM
Really must be inspiring to the boys seeing him turn up to his current workplace.

Earning about $50-100k for this appearance based on number of times hes been seen at the club lately.

angelopetraglia
20-08-2024, 12:28 PM
Guess who's back, back again?
Shady's back, tell a friend
Guess who's back? Guess who's back?
Guess who's back?

https://scontent.fmel12-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/456336469_821047503549015_547945491433188773_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1 04&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=127cfc&_nc_ohc=yAMNUdRHwsMQ7kNvgEkHmy3&_nc_ht=scontent.fmel12-1.fna&oh=00_AYBOhpLgKtl8BtSKF7q2_uVzfPO7BG9uAmYjaFNicunsfw&oe=66C9C304

bulldogtragic
20-08-2024, 12:30 PM
Invoking Slim Shady. You know Em’s latest album is The Death of Slim Shady?

The Pie Man
20-08-2024, 12:49 PM
I don’t get our socials at all - why bother posting this?
Though it does put the ‘don’t come back’ theory somewhat to bed …though I take it todays not a team training day?

Happy Days
20-08-2024, 01:00 PM
I’ve personally never seen anyone train in hoop earrings before.

bornadog
20-08-2024, 01:04 PM
According to Sam Edmund, Geelong have been courting Smith for over a year

Pleather Sole
20-08-2024, 01:13 PM
I don’t get our socials at all - why bother posting this?
Though it does put the ‘don’t come back’ theory somewhat to bed …though I take it todays not a team training day?

Lots of supporters (and negative naysayers) have been asking for Baz to turn up at the club. People love him and want to show support regardless of his future. When he does turn up the nit picking is insane. Maybe its why he hasn't been there, all this futile conjecture.

Grantysghost
20-08-2024, 01:17 PM
According to Sam Edmund, Geelong have been courting Smith for over a year
They've turned his head as they say in the world game.

Grantysghost
20-08-2024, 01:23 PM
I’ve personally never seen anyone train in hoop earrings before.
Pirates are in this year!

The Adelaide Connection
20-08-2024, 01:29 PM
It is a weird situation.

Presumably he'd be almost right to resume. You would think he would want to play finals and you would think we would want him to play (given he likely improves our team).

I would have thought a chance at a premiership was reason enough to risk it for both parties.

The bulldog tragician
20-08-2024, 01:29 PM
It feels a bit like we’re pathetically grateful he has turned up, to post this. He could have been pictured, among others (you know, the ones who’ve been turning up every week), in the drills if fans wanted proof of life.

Sedat
20-08-2024, 01:31 PM
It feels a bit like we’re pathetically grateful he has turned up, to post this. He could have been pictured, among others (you know, the ones who’ve been turning up every week), in the drills if fans wanted proof of life.
He's one of us until he's not. I'm not fussed - he undeniably generates clicks so it makes sense for our socials team to highlight his return to the club/training.

MrMahatma
20-08-2024, 01:36 PM

I feel this a bit. Why make a song and dance about him training? I get it if it was his first session back after the injury - but it's his first session he could arsed doing at WO for weeks. Hardly a moment to celebrate.

I get it, he's one of us and I'm not "pushing him out the door". But FFS - he's chosen NOT to be a supportive team mate of the guys who go out every week. I haven't seen much/anything of him at games, and he's not training with the guys who are playing. So... actions speak louder than insta posts. He's chosen to leave.

Jeanette54
20-08-2024, 01:49 PM
If his heart is in the club, then we (no doubt) would be grateful to have him back.

Rocket Science
20-08-2024, 02:08 PM

"I'd like to get Bazlenka up on the stand ... This is yours mate, you deserve it more than anyone."

#DoitforBaz

Sedat
20-08-2024, 02:15 PM
Like you, I'm incredibly underwhelmed by this news. I'm old enough and ugly enough to know that in this day and age of #CoNtEnT, he generates the clicks so he will get some focus. It's no biggie for me.

Uninformed
20-08-2024, 05:16 PM
He is ready to play. In for West!

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
20-08-2024, 05:51 PM
Being somewhat cynical, could whispers of Bailey potentially doing a medical for Gold Coast, just be his manager stimulating scuttlebutt to let the Dog's know that any thoughts of sending him to the preseason draft as a negotiating tactic would backfire, as he could be easily walked to Gold Coast in the advent a trade with Geelong could not be agreed.

bulldogtragic
20-08-2024, 06:02 PM
Being somewhat cynical, could whispers of Bailey potentially doing a medical for Gold Coast, just be his manager stimulating scuttlebutt to let the Dog's know that any thoughts of sending him to the preseason draft as a negotiating tactic would backfire, as he could be easily walked to Gold Coast in the advent a trade with Geelong could not be agreed.

Nah. WCE, Richmond, North & Saints all have the cash to take Baz. I think the GCS thing is pretty flimsy personally without knowing what did or didn’t happen. If Geelong don’t deal he can end up anywhere but probably Geelong.

jazzadogs
20-08-2024, 06:36 PM
Nah. WCE, Richmond, North & Saints all have the cash to take Baz. I think the GCS thing is pretty flimsy personally without knowing what did or didn’t happen. If Geelong don’t deal he can end up anywhere but probably Geelong.

Also if gold coast were going to take him in PSD and Baz was okay with that we would just trade him there.

jeemak
20-08-2024, 06:45 PM
These media shots are weird. Has anyone said that yet?

azabob
20-08-2024, 06:53 PM
These media shots are weird. Has anyone said that yet?

Other than happy days saying he liked his earrings.

jeemak
20-08-2024, 07:09 PM
Other than happy days saying he liked his earrings.

Bailey Smith and women sprinters wear hoop earrings to training.

Rocket Science
20-08-2024, 08:06 PM
https://scontent.fmel12-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/456336469_821047503549015_547945491433188773_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1 04&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=127cfc&_nc_ohc=yAMNUdRHwsMQ7kNvgEkHmy3&_nc_ht=scontent.fmel12-1.fna&oh=00_AYBOhpLgKtl8BtSKF7q2_uVzfPO7BG9uAmYjaFNicunsfw&oe=66C9C304

Aside from the fact there isn't a teammate in sight, by this point my dude just looks straight up weird in our colours.

https://i.ibb.co/QdwtrYC/Screen-Shot-2024-08-20-at-8-03-20-pm.png (https://ibb.co/TL3dmPb)

Jezza's gonna love those helicopter kicks.

jeemak
20-08-2024, 08:08 PM
Helicopter implies they spin.

Pleather Sole
20-08-2024, 09:37 PM
Baz and Jamarra are at the golf range tonight. Can any of you say with 100% certainty that he and other team-mates haven't been doing so for months?

jeemak
20-08-2024, 09:42 PM
Baz and Jamarra are at the golf range tonight. Can any of you say with 100% certainty that he and other team-mates haven't been doing so for months?

Yes, I can say with almost 100% certainty that some of his team mates would not have visited the golf range for months.

AshMac
21-08-2024, 06:58 AM
Also if gold coast were going to take him in PSD and Baz was okay with that we would just trade him there.

Drives me nuts how much say the player has in where they go. Goes against the entire principle of supply and demand and ALWAYS disadvantages the smaller clubs

The Adelaide Connection
22-08-2024, 11:08 PM
I read somewhere that Baz and I think Ellie Blackburn will be in Ballarat signing autographs or whatever.

That is something, I guess.

jeemak
22-08-2024, 11:20 PM
Drives me nuts how much say the player has in where they go. Goes against the entire principle of supply and demand and ALWAYS disadvantages the smaller clubs

Dunno mate, good or elite footballers are in relatively short supply and demand for them is off the charts. And the sundry reasons for joining a big club are also significant.

BornInDroopSt'54
23-08-2024, 09:08 AM
Well shame upon we woofers if Bailey stays.
What if he's been reading us and is faithful?
Win win I say.

Mantis
23-08-2024, 09:29 AM
Win win I say.

Like he's only had all season to re-sign, why would he wait until now?

He's gone and I think we're all fine with that... we couldn't keep everyone and he's the one who is probably most expendable.

hujsh
23-08-2024, 09:29 AM
Win win I say.

Said the 1950s housewife

MrMahatma
23-08-2024, 09:39 AM
Win win I say.

Staying or not, it's pretty odd he hasn't been training at the club - and seems like a dick move from someone who doesn't really want to be part of the group. So if he stays, it's still a dick move and he'd need to get over his own self absorbed approach to a team game.

IMO that is.

I'm sure he's not reading footy forums. He'll be reading comments on insta about his abs.

Bullies
23-08-2024, 11:12 AM
Staying or not, it's pretty odd he hasn't been training at the club - and seems like a dick move from someone who doesn't really want to be part of the group. So if he stays, it's still a dick move and he'd need to get over his own self absorbed approach to a team game.

IMO that is.

I'm sure he's not reading footy forums. He'll be reading comments on insta about his abs. And i also see Sam Docherty is trying to play in the finals. He did his ACL in Round 1. Smith made zero effort as his Management advised it to be to big a risk in regards to his upcoming contract.

Had he any intention of staying he would have jumped on a 2 year deal that was offered and attempted to play finals knowing he would be covered for the next 2 years.

Sedat
23-08-2024, 11:35 AM
And i also see Sam Docherty is trying to play in the finals. He did his ACL in Round 1. Smith made zero effort as his Management advised it to be to big a risk in regards to his upcoming contract.

Had he any intention of staying he would have jumped on a 2 year deal that was offered and attempted to play finals knowing he would be covered for the next 2 years.
To be fair to Smith, it suits both he and the club equally to not rush back and play this season. Docherty is older, under contract and not going anywhere - he would be desperate to play finals as there may not be many opportunities to do so in the future.

BornInDroopSt'54
23-08-2024, 11:41 AM
The tea leaves say Smith is going.
Yet we never know for sure until he walks.
He would show up even if he's leaving.
As Mantis says, we're reconciled to it, most expendable given Richards and Sanders season and the compensation we receive.

BornInDroopSt'54
23-08-2024, 11:43 AM
We don't need Smith any more despite his potential and training ethic.

Boots
23-08-2024, 12:26 PM
We don't need Smith any more despite his potential and training ethic.

As I understand it, he's got a reputation for over-training, especially in response to perceived personal failure. There was a story about him doing waaaay too many laps of the oval immediately after a bad game a few years back, wasn't there? That plus the mental health issues plus the endless drive for attention through side projects and social media stuff suggests pretty low self-esteem, which isn't a problem that goes away just because you change clubs. It needs serious psychological management, and isn't really fixable.

He had some amazing games for us but his form was always wildly inconsistent. I've got over the notion of losing him because as you say, we don't need him anymore.

If I'm right and he isn't going to get over these issues just from a seachange, then I think we might even get a vengeful giggle or two at the Cats' expense over the next few years.

BornInDroopSt'54
23-08-2024, 03:46 PM
As I understand it, he's got a reputation for over-training, especially in response to perceived personal failure. There was a story about him doing waaaay too many laps of the oval immediately after a bad game a few years back, wasn't there? That plus the mental health issues plus the endless drive for attention through side projects and social media stuff suggests pretty low self-esteem, which isn't a problem that goes away just because you change clubs. It needs serious psychological management, and isn't really fixable.

He had some amazing games for us but his form was always wildly inconsistent. I've got over the notion of losing him because as you say, we don't need him anymore.
Well read, agree.

If I'm right and he isn't going to get over these issues just from a seachange, then I think we might even get a vengeful giggle or two at the Cats' expense over the next few years.
Well read, agree.
He's young and fanatical, immature.
When he matures he'll fulfill his promise.

angelopetraglia
23-08-2024, 06:15 PM
Bailey Smith says he’s focused on injury rehab, not his future, amid trade speculation and links to Geelong

Bailey Smith has spoken publicly for the first time on his football future as speculation ramps up he will ask Western Bulldogs to be traded at season’s end.

Injured Bulldogs star Bailey Smith claims he hasn’t considered his future at the club amid rampant speculation he will ask to be traded.

Speaking publicly for the first time about his plans beyond this year, Smith said he would not risk his health by trying to return to be part of a possible finals campaign.

The 23-year-old has been strongly linked with Geelong after Collingwood and Hawthorn were earlier touted as possible suitors.

Smith tore his ACL in mid-December last year, all but ending his hopes of playing this season and sparking rumours he had played his last game for the Bulldogs.

“I haven’t paid any attention to anything other than my health at the minute and then supporting the boys – just focusing on the short-term, (the) here and now, which is GWS on Sunday and hopefully we get up,” Smith said.

“I don’t know when those (trade) conversations happen or if they do happen.”

The midfielder met Bulldogs fans in Ballarat on Friday, alongside the club’s AFLW star and former captain Ellie Blackburn.

Hundreds of supporters lined up in club gear to greet the pair, with the line stretching outside the shopping centre doors.

Following his knee injury, Smith said he was“feeling really good” and “fully fit” and that he was had started contact exercises as part of his rehab.

He said he had decided in conjuction with the Bulldogs that he would focus on his recovery rather than risk possible injury by returning this season.

“There were (discussions about playing again in 2024) early days, but then it’s more the risk versus reward of chasing a couple of games versus playing for another 10, 12 years,” he said.

“Initially I was really chasing to come back, but it’s just not worth the risk.”

Smith also spent time in Europe earlier in the year, which he said was “awesome, just mentally more than physically”.

“I still trained every day over there,” he said.

Last week, Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge conceded that his confidence Smith would stay at the club had started to “wane” as he was yet to indicate he would sign a new contract.

But he added he wasn’t “resigned” to Smith’s future being elsewhere.

“There are always things you can do. I mean, there’s the negotiation around contracts. It’s obviously the byplay between managers, and that happens behind the scenes,” he said.

“And I’ve got a great relationship with Bailey, so that’s not a concern of mine that I need to somehow fix something that isn’t an issue.

“But there are some levers that you can grab onto and drag it down. The intentions and what the possibilities might be for the individual, they could never be black and white for the club that they play at, because it’s too much conversation that we’re not privy to.”

Smith, a first-round draft pick in 2018, grew up barracking for Hawthorn and has collaborated with Cotton On, which is a patron of the Cats.

Both Hawthorn and Geelong have the salary cap room to fit Smith in.

The Bulldogs will play GWS in Ballarat on Sunday.

bulldogtragic
23-08-2024, 06:45 PM
**** off already.

The Bulldogs Bite
23-08-2024, 07:56 PM
**** off already.

Surely we're at the stage where players can make an early call (i.e. before the end of the season) and we just deal with it.

Articles like these are just cringe.

azabob
23-08-2024, 08:02 PM
**** off already.

My favourite quote from the article.

? I don?t know when those (trade) conversations happen or if they do happen.?

bornadog
23-08-2024, 08:20 PM

Depends on how much commission the Player Manager can grift

bulldogtragic
23-08-2024, 08:31 PM

Sigh… right…

Sometime after you refuse to sign a contract for 12 months and the regular season is over… spare us all Bailey, you take us all for idiots.

Rocket Science
23-08-2024, 09:12 PM
**** off already.

The further we go this year the more it'll haunt him.

#DoitforBaz

MrMahatma
24-08-2024, 07:24 AM
Sigh… right…

Sometime after you refuse to sign a contract for 12 months and the regular season is over… spare us all Bailey, you take us all for idiots.

What’s he meant to say?

“Sure, I’m here today as a doggies player to promote the club playing in Ballarat, but I’m looking forward to moving to Geelong next year”.

bulldogtragic
24-08-2024, 10:00 AM
What’s he meant to say?

“Sure, I’m here today as a doggies player to promote the club playing in Ballarat, but I’m looking forward to moving to Geelong next year”.

Something better than the shit that dribbled out his promotion hole.

meenies
24-08-2024, 10:28 AM
In the BS article he said he has started contact training. We know this is not at WB training. Are we secretly training him out is sight of others and have him as a surprise line up in finals?

bulldogtragic
24-08-2024, 10:38 AM
In the BS article he said he has started contact training. We know this is not at WB training. Are we secretly training him out is sight of others and have him as a surprise line up in finals?

No. You’ll never see him play in the RW&B again. He’s worth more on the trade table with one ACL than a two time ACL guy sitting out another 12 months. If he’s not going to be around why deny experience to our younger kids/mids who will benefit more and help us more going forward than a guy who hasn’t played a game in 12 months?

Curly5
24-08-2024, 11:47 AM
Any reports on his appearance in Ballarat at an event with Ellie Blackburn yesterday?

jeemak
24-08-2024, 12:40 PM
Any reports on his appearance in Ballarat at an event with Ellie Blackburn yesterday?

Early reports are that it upset BT.

ledge
24-08-2024, 01:21 PM

Still has to fulfill his contract.
He is being professional, if he is out he needs show his new club he does the right thing.
To me it means the club doesn’t know he has gone yet or they wouldn’t send him up.

Hotdog60
24-08-2024, 03:39 PM
When the fans rock up to talk to them both they should ask Bailey if staying or going.
If he doesn't give a positive answer they should say if you can't commit neither will I and snub him and talk to Ellie. :)

1eyedog
24-08-2024, 03:42 PM
When the fans rock up to talk to them both they should ask Bailey if staying or going.
If he doesn't give a positive answer they should say if you can't commit neither will I and snub him and talk to Ellie. :)

That will show him!

bornadog
24-08-2024, 03:47 PM
Didn't they do something Friday in Ballarat

GVGjr
24-08-2024, 03:54 PM
I know a lady who gets to training has asked him directly a couple of times and he simply counters with a "Well that is the plan". His decision might already be made and I doubt he's going to leak it to our supporters..If he stays then great or if he goes and we get a decent return then that's okay as well.

ledge
24-08-2024, 03:57 PM
Well if he stays it will put a lot of people on their arse including a few on this forum.

Hotdog60
24-08-2024, 04:31 PM
I'm not fussed one way or the other to be honest.

MrMahatma
24-08-2024, 05:55 PM
Well if he stays it will put a lot of people on their arse including a few on this forum.

He’d only be staying if every single other offer is taken off the table. There’s no reason at all to wait this long if he’s going to stay.

mighty_west
24-08-2024, 07:01 PM
I think the team is more than ok without Baz anyway, i see Richards as his ready-made replacement in the middle but with a more reliable kick plus we have the kid Sanders developing nicely, cash in on Baz and have a first round selection to bring in another young gun, or do we look at bringing in someone like Houston to play that old Richards role down back and move Freijah to a wing next season?

bornadog
24-08-2024, 07:22 PM
I would like him to stay, but in my mind, he is gone

GVGjr
24-08-2024, 07:25 PM
I would like him to stay, but in my mind, he is gone

I'm about the same but if he was to sign a 2 year deal to get him to Free Agency we would likely have to go through the same level of uncertainty again. While I don't trust his intentions to be anything other than self focused I'd be okay if he was to sign on again with us.

Uninformed
24-08-2024, 08:29 PM
After a premiership this year, I think he would improve us for the next premiership next year. Hope he stays.

jeemak
25-08-2024, 01:31 AM
I think the team is more than ok without Baz anyway, i see Richards as his ready-made replacement in the middle but with a more reliable kick plus we have the kid Sanders developing nicely, cash in on Baz and have a first round selection to bring in another young gun, or do we look at bringing in someone like Houston to play that old Richards role down back and move Freijah to a wing next season?

We are miles better off with a fully fit and committed Bailey Smith playing on our terms. The guy is a gun and one year outside of this injury layoff of ordinary form doesn't change that.

jeemak
25-08-2024, 01:33 AM
I'm about the same but if he was to sign a 2 year deal to get him to Free Agency we would likely have to go through the same level of uncertainty again. While I don't trust his intentions to be anything other than self focused I'd be okay if he was to sign on again with us.

I can only assume he's being poorly advised because a two year contract extension on the table not even half way through ACL rehab isn't something a sensibly managed person would turn down. Massive risk and he still has time between now and the end of the season for shit to go sideways.

Grantysghost
25-08-2024, 08:27 AM
I hope he stays. He's a star and a great ambassador.

If he goes well as long as he's happy and healthy and the dogs get a decent trade im resigned to that being the nature of things these days.

The Underdog
25-08-2024, 08:46 AM
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/why-bailey-smith-is-bound-for-geelong-20240824-p5k51j.html

Here’s my favourite bit

“Tyson Stengle’s admission to a Geelong hospital, after being discovered non-responsive at a nightclub some weeks ago, is an example of how the Cats avoid thermonuclear reactions. The club offered minimal details about the incident, eschewing a hardline disciplinary posture. When questioned about the Stengle incident, Scott said it was an error by the forward, but the Cats treat the players “as adults” and that his health was paramount.
—-
Geelong tend to protect the player, rather than adopting the path of righteous posturing and putting out statements about standards and so forth. Bailey Smith, thus, will have to worry less about public consequences than how he wins respect and trust within the walls of Geelong; he will have no shortage of support and care from senior players and his coach.”

If only there was recent experience of how Bailey would have to deal with a drug scandal? I wonder if Stengle had of been caught doing drugs on camera, if the response would have been equally as protective.

bornadog
25-08-2024, 08:54 AM
Why Bailey Smith is bound for Geelong (https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/why-bailey-smith-is-bound-for-geelong-20240824-p5k51j.html)

Unless there is an unexpected twist, or the trade founders on the rocks of recalcitrance, Bailey Smith will be moving down the Geelong Road to play for the Cats in 2025.

Smith had been courted by Hawthorn, and there was still a possibility ? however slim ? that he would stick with the Western Bulldogs. But a series of factors ? the pecking order at the Bulldogs, Smith?s knee injury and Hawthorn?s choices ? mean that one of the AFL?s most followed footballers is all but certain to be running around with Patrick Dangerfield and Tom Stewart from next year.

Geelong need Smith more than Hawthorn or the Bulldogs and, as a team with a track record of successfully handling players with complex off-field issues ? while winning games ? they are not a difficult sell to Smith or his management.

Smith?s likely landing at Geelong has been touted for some weeks and this column can confirm, based on conversations with well-placed sources who don?t want to say anything until the dealing?s done, that ?Bazlenka? (his social media moniker) is Geelong-bound, unless something goes badly awry.

Why Geelong, who have 11 players aged 30 or more, and not the mighty rising Hawks, or the more talented team that gave him his career start?

Smith?s choice rests on a few key considerations.

One is that he wants to play as a frontline midfielder, rather than as a wing or high half-forward. Geelong will afford him that opportunity, given that Dangerfield is 34, Joel Selwood is gone, Mitch Duncan 33, Cam Guthrie 32, and Smith can act as a bridge between those in the career twilight zones and the kids the Cats have drafted.

Another factor is that Smith?s pre-season anterior cruciate ligament injury deprived him of playing time in the Dogs? midfield this year. Smith had been behind Marcus Bontempelli (like every other AFL midfielder), Adam Treloar and Tom Liberatore, and the latter pair have less capacity to play other roles than Smith.

When Liberatore went down with injury, Luke Beveridge threw Ed Richards into the centre square, and we soon learned that Richards, too, is an adept midfielder, who also added speed to a group that could be one-paced.

Had Smith not suffered the ACL injury, he might well have signed a two-year deal that took him to free agency. Or a longer term.

The Bulldogs have handled the Smith situation with maturity. They recognise he?s likely leaving and haven?t pressured or let it become a distraction in a season in which they?ve recovered and gained late-season momentum.

Hawthorn, in the meantime, have West Coast?s key defender Tom Barrass on the hook and will be forced to give up their first pick to consummate that trade. Josh Battle, a free agent tall back, also has been weighing up whether to stay at the Saints or join the Hawks.

Clubs have only so much draft capital and the Hawks have a more immediate need for a key defender than a zippy midfielder. So their choice, too, has probably influenced the influencer?s.

Smith also is an ambassador for the clothing retail giant Cotton On, which is an important Geelong sponsor and Geelong institution. Their relationship long pre-dates his interest in the Cats.

Arguably, the most compelling argument for joining Geelong, though, is that Smith will be joining a club that has many of the benefits of playing on Broadway ? big, high-vis games ? without as many of the potential pitfalls of crossing the Maribyrnong to join a monstrous Melbourne team.

Smith?s self-acknowledged mental health challenges, combined with his massive social media following ? and his injury ? places a premium on the environment of his next club.

Geelong, by dint of Chris Scott?s pragmatic approach and the self-regulation among the players, is not a club prone to overreact or get too stressed about players who find strife or have public issues.

Tyson Stengle?s admission to a Geelong hospital, after being discovered non-responsive at a nightclub some weeks ago, is an example of how the Cats avoid thermonuclear reactions. The club offered minimal details about the incident, eschewing a hardline disciplinary posture. When questioned about the Stengle incident, Scott said it was an error by the forward, but the Cats treat the players ?as adults? and that his health was paramount.

It?s unclear whether Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon or beleaguered Melbourne could get away with calmly fending off the fourth estate as the Cats did. The Melbourne media is less excited by everything west of Werribee.

Geelong tend to protect the player, rather than adopting the path of righteous posturing and putting out statements about standards and so forth.

Bailey Smith, thus, will have to worry less about public consequences than how he wins respect and trust within the walls of Geelong; he will have no shortage of support and care from senior players and his coach.

Geelong will have a pretty late first-round pick, which is less than Smith would have fetched in 2021 after a pair of superb finals performances (v the Brisbane Lions and Port Adelaide), but should be the basis for a trade, bearing in mind that he is out of contract and is recovering from an ACL. In this particular draft, recruiters say it will be possible to land as good a player at pick 18 as pick eight.

Hopefully, Smith ? whose devotion to self-improvement and training was, if anything, excessive in his formative seasons ? can thrive in the relaxed professionalism of Geelong. He is a risk well worth taking.

Hotdog60
25-08-2024, 09:09 AM
If their pick is at the end of the 1st round surely we can ask for a future 1st as well.

hujsh
25-08-2024, 09:11 AM
If their pick is at the end of the 1st round surely we can ask for a future 1st as well.

Was thinking the same.

Not getting a top 10 pick sucks but two firsts is alright

lemmon
25-08-2024, 09:13 AM
I can only assume he's being poorly advised because a two year contract extension on the table not even half way through ACL rehab isn't something a sensibly managed person would turn down. Massive risk and he still has time between now and the end of the season for shit to go sideways.

Unless he has 4+ years on the table from Geelong at big dollars, plus coa$tal life$tyle and more access to the money churner that is Cotton On.

Realistically, even if something went wrong in his rehab, our offer was never going away. We tried to get him through to free agency knowing that it was the best he might accept and realistically, we'd get as much through the door for him as a free agent as we will in a trade this year.

I was more annoyed about Dunkley going because the reasoning always felt nebulous, but I do 'get it' with Bailey. It seems like he's never quite fit in at the Dogs, he can go to a club that is relaxed with contact hours, he'll be their best midfielder in round 1 next year and he gets to keep growing his commercial interests in the way he can't with us.

angelopetraglia
25-08-2024, 09:46 AM
"Geelong will have a pretty late first-round pick, which is less than Smith would have fetched in 2021 after a pair of superb finals performances (v the Brisbane Lions and Port Adelaide), but should be the basis for a trade, bearing in mind that he is out of contract and is recovering from an ACL. In this particular draft, recruiters say it will be possible to land as good a player at pick 18 as pick eight."

Is Jake Niall on the Geelong payroll? Take a long walk off a short pier. Top 10 pick or equivalent as a minimum. For both on field and off field draw power.

GVGjr
25-08-2024, 10:15 AM

Paul Connors is his manager so I doubt he's not getting good advice. It comes down to the player though and the manager will ultimately try to achieve what the player is asking for.

Grantysghost
25-08-2024, 10:42 AM
No chance. Best we can hope for is their first this year. I think that's OK apparently a deep draft.

Hotdog60
25-08-2024, 11:26 AM
Cotton on is probably picking up half his salary. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a future 1st as well if they think they are going to go places next year that's closer to a future 2nd. Or we ask for a future 2nd and hope with Dads army they fall in a heap next year.

Plums
25-08-2024, 11:29 AM
I'll be disappointed if the club takes a single low first rounder for him. In the brand power pull alone he worth more than that, let alone his on field performance.

Is asking a first and a future pick too ambitious though?

azabob
25-08-2024, 11:36 AM
I'll be disappointed if the club takes a single low first rounder for him. In the brand power pull alone he worth more than that, let alone his on field performance.

Is asking a first and a future pick too ambitious though?

The stark reality is we have no leverage. I have no doubt Power will ask for a first round and future first but not sure we will get it.

bornadog
25-08-2024, 11:37 AM
The stark reality is we have no leverage. I have no doubt Power will ask for a first round and future first but not sure we will get it.
I would rather we don’t deal and let him got PSD. Two firsts and no backing down

azabob
25-08-2024, 11:40 AM
I would rather we don’t deal and let him got PSD. Two firsts and no backing down

My first instinct is to agree with this but I am not fully sold on this strategy and outcome.

Plums
25-08-2024, 11:45 AM

I can't see us letting a top echelon player got to the PSD for nothing in return. We would expect something in return for him.

bornadog
25-08-2024, 11:47 AM
My first instinct is to agree with this but I am not fully sold on this strategy and outcome.

I can't see us letting a top echelon player got to the PSD for nothing in return. We would expect something in return for him.
of course it won’t happen, but that is my feeling.

Bumper Bulldogs
25-08-2024, 09:39 PM
I can't see us letting a top echelon player got to the PSD for nothing in return. We would expect something in return for him. y someone needs to go first and it will put a little fear back into the players mind set. Clubs need a o have some leverage and realistically picks would be nice but making a stand would send a message to everyone including HQ that we have an issue and it?s not in the best interest of anyone to put up with this crap

jeemak
25-08-2024, 10:06 PM
Unless he has 4+ years on the table from Geelong at big dollars, plus coa$tal life$tyle and more access to the money churner that is Cotton On.

Realistically, even if something went wrong in his rehab, our offer was never going away. We tried to get him through to free agency knowing that it was the best he might accept and realistically, we'd get as much through the door for him as a free agent as we will in a trade this year.

I was more annoyed about Dunkley going because the reasoning always felt nebulous, but I do 'get it' with Bailey. It seems like he's never quite fit in at the Dogs, he can go to a club that is relaxed with contact hours, he'll be their best midfielder in round 1 next year and he gets to keep growing his commercial interests in the way he can't with us.

With two seasons on the table to get to RFA status, a bird in the hand is worth........whatever's in the whatever, at that stage of your rehab. So we perhaps in the mind of him and his manager low balled him.

Paul Connors is his manager so I doubt he's not getting good advice. It comes down to the player though and the manager will ultimately try to achieve what the player is asking for.

There's obviously been a risk taken. Perhaps his main suitor said they'll take him no matter what and that was enough for his manager and Bailey himself. But contracts can always be pulled and the two years we offered given his return year was likely to be relatively unproductive was basically a gift.

ledge
25-08-2024, 10:10 PM
We need to understand you don’t **** over clubs as they will **** you over in the future so you deal in good faith.
Wherever he wants to go that’s where you do the deal, no you don’t take a stupid deal but you take one that’s fair as you might have a player waiting to come to your club from them in the future. Sending him to the draft gives us nothing and the club he wanted to go to won’t trade with you in the future.
As much as we say fans want to stuff over certain teams in reality you can’t.

jazzadogs
25-08-2024, 10:49 PM
We need to understand you don’t **** over clubs as they will **** you over in the future so you deal in good faith.
Wherever he wants to go that’s where you do the deal, no you don’t take a stupid deal but you take one that’s fair as you might have a player waiting to come to your club from them in the future. Sending him to the draft gives us nothing and the club he wanted to go to won’t trade with you in the future.
As much as we say fans want to stuff over certain teams in reality you can’t.

How many Bailey Smith's are you expecting us to lure away from Geelong's coa$tal life$tyle in the near future? I'll tell you right now it's zero.

One pick in the top 10 or two in the teens, for Smith and a second.

soupman
25-08-2024, 10:52 PM
Some very odd posting from Bailey after our win today.

A straight up thirst trap with the word "healin", and then a collection of Europe videos with the caption finals>Europe.

Looked like a very lonely way to celebrate tbh.

ledge
25-08-2024, 11:00 PM
Some very odd posting from Bailey after our win today.

A straight up thirst trap with the word "healin", and then a collection of Europe videos with he caption finals>Europe.

Looked like a very lonely way to celebrate tbh.

I read between the lines and it looks like he wanted to play this year and we said no and explained it as looking after his future.
Maybe he feels left out.

jazzadogs
25-08-2024, 11:08 PM
I read between the lines and it looks like he wanted to play this year and we said no and explained it as looking after his future.
Maybe he feels left out.

Telling him he couldn't play to look after his future, isn't telling him he can't support his teammates.

I really hope the young fella is in a good space because the conjecture about his future would wear anyone down, but getting away to Europe only to post about the trip, reply to comments and clearly still be engaging with his socials is not necessarily the best way to combat it.

BornInDroopSt'54
26-08-2024, 08:41 AM
Why Bailey Smith is bound for Geelong
ByJake Niall
August 25, 2024

Unless there is an unexpected twist, or the trade founders on the rocks of recalcitrance, Bailey Smith will be moving down the Geelong Road to play for the Cats in 2025.

Smith had been courted by Hawthorn, and there was still a possibility however slim that he would stick with the Western Bulldogs. But a series of factors the pecking order at the Bulldogs, Smith's knee injury and Hawthorn's choices mean that one of the AFL's most followed footballers is all but certain to be running around with Patrick Dangerfield and Tom Stewart from next year.

Geelong need Smith more than Hawthorn or the Bulldogs and, as a team with a track record of successfully handling players with complex off-field issues while winning games they are not a difficult sell to Smith or his management.

Smith's likely landing at Geelong has been touted for some weeks and this column can confirm, based on conversations with well-placed sources who don?t want to say anything until the dealings done, that 'Bazlenka' (his social media moniker) is Geelong-bound, unless something goes badly awry.

Why Geelong, who have 11 players aged 30 or more, and not the mighty rising Hawks, or the more talented team that gave him his career start

Smith's choice rests on a few key considerations.

One is that he wants to play as a frontline midfielder, rather than as a wing or high half-forward. Geelong will afford him that opportunity, given that Dangerfield is 34, Joel Selwood is gone, Mitch Duncan 33, Cam Guthrie 32, and Smith can act as a bridge between those in the career twilight zones and the kids the Cats have drafted.

Another factor is that Smith's pre-season anterior cruciate ligament injury deprived him of playing time in the Dogs midfield this year. Smith had been behind Marcus Bontempelli (like every other AFL midfielder), Adam Treloar and Tom Liberatore, and the latter pair have less capacity to play other roles than Smith.

When Liberatore went down with injury, Luke Beveridge threw Ed Richards into the centre square, and we soon learned that Richards, too, is an adept midfielder, who also added speed to a group that could be one-paced.

Had Smith not suffered the ACL injury, he might well have signed a two-year deal that took him to free agency. Or a longer term.

The Bulldogs have handled the Smith situation with maturity. They recognise he's likely leaving and haven't pressured or let it become a distraction in a season in which they've recovered and gained late-season momentum.

Hawthorn, in the meantime, have West Coast's key defender Tom Barrass on the hook and will be forced to give up their first pick to consummate that trade. Josh Battle, a free agent tall back, also has been weighing up whether to stay at the Saints or join the Hawks.

Clubs have only so much draft capital and the Hawks have a more immediate need for a key defender than a zippy midfielder. So their choice, too, has probably influenced the influencer's.

Smith also is an ambassador for the clothing retail giant Cotton On, which is an important Geelong sponsor and Geelong institution. Their relationship long pre-dates his interest in the Cats.

Arguably, the most compelling argument for joining Geelong, though, is that Smith will be joining a club that has many of the benefits of playing on Broadway big, high-vis games without as many of the potential pitfalls of crossing the Maribyrnong to join a monstrous Melbourne team.

Smith's self-acknowledged mental health challenges, combined with his massive social media following and his injury places a premium on the environment of his next club.

Geelong, by dint of Chris Scott's pragmatic approach and the self-regulation among the players, is not a club prone to overreact or get too stressed about players who find strife or have public issues.

Tyson Stengle's admission to a Geelong hospital, after being discovered non-responsive at a nightclub some weeks ago, is an example of how the Cats avoid thermonuclear reactions. The club offered minimal details about the incident, eschewing a hardline disciplinary posture. When questioned about the Stengle incident, Scott said it was an error by the forward, but the Cats treat the players as adults and that his health was paramount.

It's unclear whether Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon or beleaguered Melbourne could get away with calmly fending off the fourth estate as the Cats did. The Melbourne media is less excited by everything west of Werribee.

Geelong tend to protect the player, rather than adopting the path of righteous posturing and putting out statements about standards and so forth.

Bailey Smith, thus, will have to worry less about public consequences than how he wins respect and trust within the walls of Geelong; he will have no shortage of support and care from senior players and his coach.

Geelong will have a pretty late first-round pick, which is less than Smith would have fetched in 2021 after a pair of superb finals performances (v the Brisbane Lions and Port Adelaide), but should be the basis for a trade, bearing in mind that he is out of contract and is recovering from an ACL. In this particular draft, recruiters say it will be possible to land as good a player at pick 18 as pick eight.

Hopefully, Smith whose devotion to self-improvement and training was, if anything, excessive in his formative seasons can thrive in the relaxed professionalism of Geelong. He is a risk well worth taking.

bulldogtragic
26-08-2024, 09:00 AM
If Geelong make a prelim. Their pick is say 15 or 16. Then add in Battlr compo, Ashcroft & Lombard it’s now Pick 18 or 19. Say a Camporeale twin goes mid terms it’s about Pick 20 for Baz. Spare me.

First this year and our F2 for their F1 is the minimum. That about two picks around 20. Still shit, but passable.

ledge
26-08-2024, 09:35 AM
If Geelong make a prelim. Their pick is say 15 or 16. Then add in Battlr compo, Ashcroft & Lombard it’s now Pick 18 or 19. Say a Camporeale twin goes mid terms it’s about Pick 20 for Baz. Spare me.

First this year and our F2 for their F1 is the minimum. That about two picks around 20. Still shit, but passable.

Excuse my ignorance but do finals positions affect the draft ? I thought it was the ladder position after the H&A

bulldogsthru&thru
26-08-2024, 09:48 AM
Excuse my ignorance but do finals positions affect the draft ? I thought it was the ladder position after the H&A

Yes finals do determine draft positions. If you finish 8th but win the flag you get pick 18.

Axe Man
26-08-2024, 10:05 AM

They won't make a prelim - after they lose to Port we will send them out in straight sets. ;) Dual benefit of winning and improving our compensation for Baz.

bornadog
26-08-2024, 10:08 AM
They won't make a prelim - after they lose to Port we will send them out in straight sets. ;) Dual benefit of winning and improving our compensation for Baz.
That would be so good

Bulldog Joe
26-08-2024, 10:30 AM

If we had taken this path with Dunkley we would be getting a better outcome from Bailey Smith.

Meet our trade requirements or miss the player.

Perhaps do a pick swap with Richmond instead.

If we play hard ball he misses free agency as well.

He can still sign with us for 2 years.

soupman
26-08-2024, 01:00 PM
A player who will be fully focused on being the best he can. A player who is coachable. A player who won't be easily distracted.
A player who is going to be a great midfielder and capable of playing in the back or forward lines.

I hope Morris takes him under his wing and makes his transition as easy as it can be.

Smith is going to be a great addition for us.

If we had taken this path with Dunkley we would be getting a better outcome from Bailey Smith.

We effectively did do this with Dunkley, and traded him out 2 years later for a still shit deal.

I like the idea of pay up or PSD, but we are fooling ourselves and optimistic to the extreme if we think we will see any benefit from it.

hujsh
26-08-2024, 01:32 PM
We effectively did do this with Dunkley, and traded him out 2 years later for a still shit deal.

I like the idea of pay up or PSD, but we are fooling ourselves and optimistic to the extreme if we think we will see any benefit from it.
Clubs care about the threat of the psd about as much as they do the ‘equity’ you build on earlier trades?

Happy Days
26-08-2024, 01:42 PM
Having completed the mental gymnastics necessary to trick myself into thinking that Baz actually sucks I’d be perfectly happy for this to be done for anything more than pick 15 at the opening trade bell.

Can Bar
27-08-2024, 03:51 PM
could we trade a second round pick to richmond for a high first round pick and send Bailey to the PSD. Or swap him with petracca and let Melbourne and Geelong haggle.

GVGjr
27-08-2024, 04:01 PM
could we trade a second round pick to richmond for a high first round pick and send Bailey to the PSD. Or swap him with petracca and let Melbourne and Geelong haggle.

I suspect that would get squashed very quickly and it's in our best interest to get Smith to Geelong if that is his genuine desire.
Now If Geelong play 'silly buggers' and try and short change us then other options might come into play.

hujsh
27-08-2024, 04:07 PM

I suspect that would get squashed very quickly and it's in our best interest to get Smith to Geelong if that is his genuine desire.
Now If Geelong play 'silly buggers' and try and short change us then other options might come into play.

Worth remembering it's up to Smith if he goes PSD or National Draft.

Easy to pick him in the PSD, where would a club pick him in the ND? There's also ways to play funny buggers with the salary price like Jack Martin did to get to Carlton.

DOG GOD
27-08-2024, 04:27 PM
If Geelong make a prelim. Their pick is say 15 or 16. Then add in Battlr compo, Ashcroft & Lombard it?s now Pick 18 or 19. Say a Camporeale twin goes mid terms it?s about Pick 20 for Baz. Spare me.

If he wants Geel, then we will be screwed. They wont be offering any pick inside 18…(with all the friggin father sons/academy etc).this draft or next…we will be screwed just like Dunkley.

hujsh
29-08-2024, 10:11 AM
IF you're GFC and you've heard about how Petracca wants to play in front of big crowds and increase 'brand Petracca'

THEN aren't you just a little tempted to go all in on him and ditch Bailey Smith? A better player, over a longer period of time, just a bit older. Will cost more but if you can make it happen, wouldn't you? It's not like you need high picks to pull players out of the local leagues

comrade
29-08-2024, 10:13 AM
IF you're GFC and you've heard about how Petracca wants to play in front of big crowds and increase 'brand Petracca'

THEN aren't you just a little tempted to go all in on him and ditch Bailey Smith? A better player, over a longer period of time, just a bit older. Will cost more but if you can make it happen, wouldn't you? It's not like you need high picks to pull players out of the local leagues

If any club can pull off a Petracca deal, it's Geelong. It's unlikely, but not impossible.

Sedat
29-08-2024, 10:23 AM

There's more artisan produce in the Bellarine peninsula, so Petracca's signature pasta carbonara dish will be even more authentic coming from the #CoAsTaLLiFeStYlE

comrade
29-08-2024, 10:38 AM
There's more artisan produce in the Bellarine peninsula, so Petracca's signature pasta carbonara dish will be even more authentic coming from the #CoAsTaLLiFeStYlE

I hear Petracca's mother has been put up as a candidate for Cotton On's new role of Junior Regional VP of Commercial Strategy.

ReLoad
29-08-2024, 01:43 PM
I hear Petracca's mother has been put up as a candidate for Cotton On's new role of Junior Regional VP of Commercial Strategy.

I heard that its not Costa Fruit & Veg, But now its Trac's Fruit and Veg.

comrade
29-08-2024, 01:50 PM
I heard that it?s not Costa Fruit & Veg, But now it?s Trac's Fruit and Veg.

Trac?s cooking show now presented by Costa?s.

Angak
29-08-2024, 02:02 PM
If he wants Geel, then we will be screwed. They wont be offering any pick inside 18…(with all the friggin father sons/academy etc).this draft or next…we will be screwed just like Dunkley.

If there only offer is a pick between 18 and 21 we have to be prepared to play hard ball.

Bullies
03-09-2024, 09:49 AM
Geelong have abviously 6 years as Smith's Manager have said they will only talk to anyone offering 6 years+.

comrade
03-09-2024, 10:27 AM
Anyone offering Baz 6+ years is insane and it just shows contracts are meaningless.

ledge
03-09-2024, 10:35 AM
If there only offer is a pick between 18 and 21 we have to be prepared to play hard ball.

We can take future picks off them and I do think they will drop a bit next year.

bulldogtragic
03-09-2024, 10:40 AM
Geelong have abviously 6 years as Smith's Manager have said they will only talk to anyone offering 6 years+.

Where did he say this?

I hope it wasn’t public comments as we prepare for finals and they’re making this period all about Bailey.

azabob
03-09-2024, 10:53 AM
Where did he say this?

I hope it wasn’t public comments as we prepare for finals and they’re making this period all about Bailey.

Tom Morris on Monday. So clearly take it with a couple of tonne of salt.

azabob
04-09-2024, 01:07 PM
Beveridge was asked about Docherty returning to play for Carlton and where is Bailey Smith up to in his rehab...

Beveridge said that David Young is the club surgeon, and he has done an outstanding job for such a long period.

BUT Young did not operate on Bailey Smith...

bulldogtragic
04-09-2024, 01:11 PM
Beveridge was asked about Docherty returning to play for Carlton and where is Bailey Smith up to in his rehab...

Beveridge said that David Young is the club surgeon, and he has done an outstanding job for such a long period.

That’s a nice answer. Politics after footy maybe.

jDogs
04-09-2024, 01:16 PM

He also said stated that Young didn't operate on Smith but that they were sticking to the 11 month protocols for recovery.

bornadog
04-09-2024, 01:22 PM
He also said stated that Young didn't operate on Smith but that they were sticking to the 11 month protocols for recovery.
I think this would frustrate Smith. I think he is itching to play

Mantis
04-09-2024, 02:40 PM

Maybe the club have said we're happy to fast track your recovery if you commit to the club, otherwise you can sit it out, so your value doesn't drop if you do it again.

Pleather Sole
04-09-2024, 03:08 PM

He also said its different to Docherty cause he's nearer the end of his career, and Carlton are Sam are more willing to risk injury from early return given his multiple challenges. Makes sense.

Pleather Sole
04-09-2024, 03:42 PM
Does anyone know about the medical insurance specs of player injuries? Are they predicated on existing agreements between a club and its insurer and or is it also under the auspices of the Players Association? I'm wondering about risk/liability. We're seeing payouts on concussion, loss of income etc I'd imagine there are concerns within the industry about players being rushed back in or prematurely without adequate assessments that potentially shorten or end a career due to 'protocols' or insufficient information re scans (Picken) not being followed. Of course individual contracts have impact but I have been ruminating a little on who is accountable in the long run if the wheels fall off for a player/s. These are big salaries, big potential losses.

Rocket Science
04-09-2024, 04:24 PM
In more ruthless terms, at this point he's simply an asset we need to leverage maximum return for.

So hat tip to the club for being risk averse on notions of a feelgood return and having him promptly break down or the not unlikely prospect he shows poorly. Not to mention sparing us the cringe fest that'd pervade any farewell game.

Sit tight cowboy, you'll be streaming down that narrow wing soon enough.

bornadog
04-09-2024, 04:30 PM
Maybe the club have said we're happy to fast track your recovery if you commit to the club, otherwise you can sit it out, so your value doesn't drop if you do it again.

yes possible.

He needs to come out and just say what the hell he is doing - ie staying or going

Bullies
04-09-2024, 06:35 PM
Maybe the club have said we're happy to fast track your recovery if you commit to the club, otherwise you can sit it out, so your value doesn't drop if you do it again. It will be interesting to see what comes out when the season ends. The club have done well to say nothing and keep it professional. i think you may find Smith's Management said to the club at the start of the year he would not play again at the risk of comprimising his career. .

azabob
04-09-2024, 06:44 PM
Unsure if Shaun Mannagh has been mentioned but could we somehow include him as part of the trade for Smith?

Bullies
04-09-2024, 06:55 PM
Unsure if Shaun Mannagh has been mentioned but could we somehow include him as part of the trade for Smith? He was in our backyard for 2 years and we overlooked him each time and didn't take the risk when he was exactly what we needed.

GVGjr
04-09-2024, 07:58 PM
Unsure if Shaun Mannagh has been mentioned but could we somehow include him as part of the trade for Smith?

He's done very well hasn't he and he could have been a handy player for us? He was a hard player for us to bring in at the National Draft given our early picks went on Sanders and Croft and he was taken by Geelong before we selected Freijah.
I'm not sure how positive some of our supporters would have been about bringing in a 26yo from the VFL :)
Apparently as far as we were concerned it was either Poutler or Mannagh in the previous preseason draft.

hujsh
04-09-2024, 08:33 PM
He's done very well hasn't he and he could have been a handy player for us? He was a hard player for us to bring in at the National Draft given our early picks went on Sanders and Croft and he was taken by Geelong before we selected Freijah.
I'm not sure how positive some of our supporters would have been about bringing in a 26yo from the VFL :)
Apparently as far as we were concerned it was either Poutler or Mannagh in the previous preseason draft.

oof...

Vred
05-09-2024, 05:38 AM
He was in our backyard for 2 years and we overlooked him each time and didn't take the risk when he was exactly what we needed.

Was a lot of talk over on BF that Mannagh did a medical with us pre-draft and we were keen to take him if he slipped to one of our picks.

Sadly, he did not.

I'd love to have im on the list, I see alot of upside with him.

jazzadogs
05-09-2024, 07:35 AM
Was a lot of talk over on BF that Mannagh did a medical with us pre-draft and we were keen to take him if he slipped to one of our picks.

Sadly, he did not.

He only came to my attention after his grand final performance but I was very keen for us to draft him if available. With our first live pick at 45 it was always unlikely, and you can't fault our choice of Freijah regardless.

bulldogtragic
05-09-2024, 08:23 AM

Sadly, he did not.

Milesi said he’d draft him if he got to our pick. Essendon gave the Cats the pick to move up one spot in the draft order and that was that. We also grabbed Freijah with our pick soon after, so it’s not all bad.

comrade
05-09-2024, 10:33 AM
Thank god we didn?t draft Mannagh if it meant missing Freijah. Thanks Dodo.

Rocket Science
05-09-2024, 02:39 PM
Captions please ...

https://i.ibb.co/cFKm15C/Screen-Shot-2024-09-04-at-11-02-34-am.png (https://ibb.co/R0G59nB)

Happy Days
05-09-2024, 02:43 PM
Looper (2012) dir. Rian Johnson

Axe Man
05-09-2024, 03:05 PM
Captions please ...

https://i.ibb.co/cFKm15C/Screen-Shot-2024-09-04-at-11-02-34-am.png (https://ibb.co/R0G59nB)

Try a Barry, Dillo - it's the new cumquat, grass clippings and acai berry flavour I've been working on with all this extra time I've had on my hands not having to drive across town to training.

jeemak
05-09-2024, 03:10 PM
Captions please ...

Told ya it wasn't bad. Bit expensive, but nothing good around for under $375 these days.

ReLoad
05-09-2024, 04:10 PM
Captions please ...

The New Microbrewery will be just outside of ocean grove, it will be so easy to spot thanks to the giant paper marche statue of myself in a cotton on g-banger.

comrade
05-09-2024, 10:57 PM
Can we swap Baz for Mannagh?

Hotdog60
06-09-2024, 05:54 AM
Captions please ...

Well Baz what to you think of this fine piece of work? Not bad but it would have look better with some guy with an 8 pack holding the moon.

JanLorMill
06-09-2024, 06:52 AM
We’ll get Brodie Moles or Nathan Djkerrura instead.

MrMahatma
06-09-2024, 07:16 AM

Chuck in Peter Street and we'll talk.

azabob
06-09-2024, 07:57 AM

Just imagine a poster raised this very trade earlier in the week… just imagine how switched on he must be….

Grantysghost
06-09-2024, 08:39 AM
Captions please ...

So you showed Bevo the photos right?

Sedat
06-09-2024, 09:17 AM
Don't forget our own Mr September Tim Callan. Played 19 games and 7 of them were finals.

bulldogtragic
06-09-2024, 06:15 PM
So. Geelong lock in Pick 15-18.

Battle compo first round pushes it out by one: Pick 16-19

Ashcroft, Lombard, Camporeale & Kako (4) all bid by the pick: Smith first round pick 20-23.

A first rounder on its own is shithouse, so I’d rather let him go to the PSD unless there’s also an F1 with say our F2 going back. This is getting pretty smelly.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
06-09-2024, 06:34 PM
So. Geelong lock in Pick 15-18.

Battle compo first round pushes it out by one: Pick 16-19

Ashcroft, Lombard, Camporeale & Kako (4) all bid by the pick: Smith first round pick 20-23.

A first rounder on its own is shithouse, so I’d rather let him go to the PSD unless there’s also an F1 with say our F2 going back. This is getting pretty smelly.

And there is no expectation of Geelong looking to make any moves to improve that first round pick's value?

bulldogtragic
06-09-2024, 06:39 PM
And there is no expectation of Geelong looking to make any moves to improve that first round pick's value?

That’s not their style. Not sure they’d want to either. I’d hold our feet to the fire like Brisbane did. I guess it’s whether we are going to demand the F1 be added under threat of the PSD or whether we tinker with the crap pick this year and something they’re content to palm off on us.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
06-09-2024, 06:59 PM
That’s not their style. Not sure they’d want to either. I’d hold our feet to the fire like Brisbane did. I guess it’s whether we are going to demand the F1 be added under threat of the PSD or whether we tinker with the crap pick this year and something they’re content to palm off on us.

I must admit I would be really disappointed if our club doesn't make a stand here, just not right now. And maybe we will.

This has been the whole problem I've had with some of our outbound trade approaches during Bevo's reign; we set a precedent for being soft and we get rolled time and time again when one of our guys signals their intention top leave.

We stuffed up Stringer's departure, and then tried to make that turd of a situation look good by selling it as "Look we turned Stringer into 'former pick 2 Schache'..." yeeaaah that was great...if only we played in the wet week in week out.

Didn't Dodo trade out higher value picks when we would've hand back a 1st rounder to them as part of them giving us a top 10 pick or something in their initial offer for Stringer?

And we've hardly been on paper winners for any single player's departure in trade terms since.. Dunkley the standout where once again we should've stood our ground...and let him walk...but instead we once again ate a turd sandwich..when the Lions also moved their picks and screwed us.

And now we're gonna let Baz Brand Smith walk for what amounts to an early 2nd rounder.. Yes he's done a knee, but he's also shown himself to be a vigilant trainer and good preparer. There is no way Geelong would let him go for that if roles were reversed..
Let him go via the draft, and just say. Look, sick of being not treated professionally by other clubs, and we're not going to give an A grade player for a speculative draft pick.

bulldogtragic
06-09-2024, 07:06 PM
I must admit I would be really disappointed if our club doesn't make a stand here, just not right now. And maybe we will.

This has been the whole problem I've had with some of our outbound trade approaches during Bevo's reign; we set a precedent for being soft and we get rolled time and time again when one of our guys signals their intention top leave.

We stuffed up Stringer's departure, and then tried to make that turd of a situation look good by selling it as "Look we turned Stringer into 'former pick 2 Schache'..." yeeaaah that was great...if only we played in the wet week in week out.

Didn't Dodo trade out higher value picks when we would've hand back a 1st rounder to them as part of them giving us a top 10 pick or something in their initial offer for Stringer?

And we've hardly been on paper winners for any single player's departure in trade terms since.. Dunkley the standout where once again we should've stood our ground...and let him walk...but instead we once again ate a turd sandwich..when the Lions also moved their picks and screwed us.

And now we're gonna let Baz Brand Smith walk for what amounts to an early 2nd rounder.. Yes he's done a knee, but he's also shown himself to be a vigilant trainer and good preparer. There is no way Geelong would let him go for that if roles were reversed..
Let him go via the draft, and just say. Look, sick of being not treated professionally by other clubs, and we're not going to give an A grade player for a speculative draft pick.

Dodo had offered a first for Stringer is home handed back our next pick (so a slight upgrade) as they were chasing Smith from GWS. They then offered it to GWS and we were left with scraps.

Happy Days
07-09-2024, 02:58 PM
We gotta look at it as a free swing. We’ve already dealt with the hardest part, being the on field loss of him. Either do the deal at the opening bell or hold firm.

ledge
08-09-2024, 11:19 AM
Should know by tomorrow what he is doing.

bulldogtragic
08-09-2024, 11:28 AM
Should know by tomorrow what he is doing.

You think he’s been waiting for 12 months to sign on tomorrow, while the others have mad Monday?

GVGjr
08-09-2024, 11:31 AM
While the whispers are he's going to Geelong I wouldn't rule out him nominating Collingwood as his preferred destination.

The Bulldogs Bite
08-09-2024, 11:36 AM
Looking forward to the end of this saga.

He's been a bit of a headache from day one, and it's been a long drawn out year.

DOG GOD
08-09-2024, 12:32 PM
If it is Geelong, don’t be surprised until nothing is mentioned until either Geel is out or the GF is over. Cats won’t want any distractions in their finals campaign.

mighty_west
08-09-2024, 01:25 PM

It may just end up with their first which is quite ordinary, a pick in the low 20's after father sons etc? That could nab us someone like Charlie Clarke (uuum), and perhaps a swap of a 2nd and 4th rounders which could see us with multiple 2nd round picks, something we missed out on when gaining Jamarra and Darcy.

Or do we try and turn Baz into a player of need type of trade, perhaps a multi club deal, a pacey small forward, a pacey mid, a small defender? That Darcy Jones lad looks good at the Giants, he would slot nicely into our forward line and off a wing, a red white and blue helmet would look awesome too, or do we turn Baz into O'Driscoll or Peatling with swaps of picks to go with it?

Mantis
08-09-2024, 01:36 PM
If it is Geelong, don’t be surprised until nothing is mentioned until either Geel is out or the GF is over. Cats won’t want any distractions in their finals campaign.

As opposed to Hawthorn who already have 2 players who have signalled their desires to join that club next year.

I would think it will ?get out? post our exit meetings which I assume would start this week and would continue after Footscray finish up their season.

bulldogtragic
08-09-2024, 01:39 PM
It may just end up with their first which is quite ordinary, a pick in the low 20's after father sons etc? That could nab us someone like Charlie Clarke (uuum), and perhaps a swap of a 2nd and 4th rounders which could see us with multiple 2nd round picks, something we missed out on when gaining Jamarra and Darcy.

Or do we try and turn Baz into a player of need type of trade, perhaps a multi club deal, a pacey small forward, a pacey mid, a small defender? That Darcy Jones lad looks good at the Giants, he would slot nicely into our forward line and off a wing, a red white and blue helmet would look awesome too, or do we turn Baz into O'Driscoll or Peatling with swaps of picks to go with it?

I’m open to trading the pick/s gained for Baz. But it needs to be a genuine player of need to plugs in immediately. As others have said, if it’s Peatling just to plonk him on a forward flank then I’d prefer the kid. Also if we hypothetically list all of Garcia, CD, Macrae, Bailey & Khamis well then we might need to get a mature player. We picked up 5 kids last year plus Ryp. So maybe there’s a stronger case for trading it if the right player doesn’t pick a big Vic club.

mighty_west
08-09-2024, 01:56 PM
I’m open to trading the pick/s gained for Baz. But it needs to be a genuine player of need to plugs in immediately. As others have said, if it’s Peatling just to plonk him on a forward flank then I’d prefer the kid. Also if we hypothetically list all of Garcia, CD, Macrae, Bailey & Khamis well then we might need to get a mature player. We picked up 5 kids last year plus Ryp. So maybe there’s a stronger case for trading it if the right player doesn’t pick a big Vic club.

I watched the all Sydney game (what a game!), but also watched Peatling quite a bit, have seen him play not haven't really watched him, he played in the guts quite a bit, looks decent clearing the ball, had a shot on goal which was ordinary but his good could compliment us, seems a bit of a goer which we need in spades, likes to tackle.

KT31
09-09-2024, 01:21 PM
Bailey Smith has officially informed the club he wants to be traded.

my plums
Officially requested a trade.

bornadog
Unwelcome to the Western Bulldogs

Mofra
09-09-2024, 01:24 PM
For a microsecond I read "Bailey Williams" on my news feed, panicked, the when I read "Smith" I was relieved.
Just hope we get a good deal - if we turn Smith into Peatling and a first rounder it's a net positive.

whythelongface
09-09-2024, 01:29 PM
The worst kept secret or rumour in football. Bring it on

The Adelaide Connection
09-09-2024, 01:34 PM
Hasn?t nominated a preferred destination at this stage, which hopefully means he is happy to go to a number of different clubs.

Come on down Suns. Let us be the one that benefits from their usually overly generous compensation.

Grantysghost
09-09-2024, 01:37 PM
Hasn?t nominated a preferred destination at this stage, which hopefully means he is happy to go to a number of different clubs.

Come on down Suns. Let us be the one that benefits from their usually overly generous compensation.
It means the cats are still playing

soupman
09-09-2024, 01:37 PM
Freijah to wear 6 please.

Grantysghost
09-09-2024, 01:38 PM
For a microsecond I read "Bailey Williams" on my news feed, panicked, the when I read "Smith" I was relieved.
Just hope we get a good deal - if we turn Smith into Peatling and a first rounder it's a net positive.

Crikey, Peatling on his own is probably the best we can hope for. I'm not expecting much at all.

bornadog
09-09-2024, 01:38 PM

If Cats win the premiership at best their first rounder is 21 plus. They need to find some picks under 10

Bullies
09-09-2024, 01:39 PM
If Cats win the premiership at best their first rounder is 21 plus. They need to find some picks under 10 Walk him to the draft

Mantis
09-09-2024, 01:40 PM
It really makes Bailey's behavior over the past number of weeks/ months look all the more childish.

Whoever is advising him has done a shit ****ing job.

bornadog
09-09-2024, 01:40 PM
Walk him to the draft

I would if we get rubbish picks at best

Grantysghost
09-09-2024, 01:42 PM
If Cats win the premiership at best their first rounder is 21 plus. They need to find some picks under 10
That's what we will get.

cinder
09-09-2024, 01:43 PM
Welcome to being dead to me

bulldogsthru&thru
09-09-2024, 01:44 PM
That's what we will get.

Gotta love our star mids who want out requesting trades to top teams.

Bullies
09-09-2024, 01:45 PM
It really makes Bailey's behavior over the past number of weeks/ months look all the more childish.

Whoever is advising him has done a shit ****ing job. it was his Management as well that said he wouldn't play again this year after he had the Op. Club were p'd off with that as well as knowing he was on the move but doing his rehab at the club and paying his salary.

bornadog
09-09-2024, 01:46 PM
Welcome to being dead to me

Same.

We supported him through his snorting saga, mental health issues, head butt incident, ACL - and this is what we get from a selfish little prick. :D

The Adelaide Connection
09-09-2024, 01:51 PM

Unfortunately that is the likelihood. Maybe Hawks (his childhood club) as a long shot.

my plums
09-09-2024, 01:52 PM
Losing Baz and Dunks recently is really annoying. How can these other clubs offer more midfield time than us? That seems to be one of the reasons behind the players requests in both cases. I don't understand it.

bornadog
09-09-2024, 01:58 PM
Losing Baz and Dunks recently is really annoying. How can these other clubs offer more midfield time than us? That seems to be one of the reasons behind the players requests in both cases. I don't understand it.

Both players are selfish people, up themselves who think they are better than they are and are not team orientated. You play a role in a TEAM game that best suits the team, not best suits you.

bulldogsthru&thru
09-09-2024, 01:59 PM
It's a real gut punch that the likes of Josh Battle will get the saints better draft capital than we will get for Smith. If Smith was a FA we'd get better compo. What a shit system.

angelopetraglia
09-09-2024, 01:59 PM
He can take a long walk off a very short pier. It is obvious looking at his socials that he is a narcissist. Good luck to whatever club takes him on.

Sam Power. Make sure you exctact maximum value.

bornadog
09-09-2024, 02:01 PM
It's a real gut punch that the likes of Josh Battle will get the saints better draft capital than we will get for Smith. If Smith was a FA we'd get better compo. What a shit system.

LIke North getting a pick 3 or something for the Dud Mckay

Can Bar
09-09-2024, 02:25 PM
He has to make hay while the sun shines, hell be bald with a massive comb over in the next couple of years, no one will follow him. Clearly its a financial issue. Lets see what we get for him on the open market, anything less than pick 5. send him to the draft

bulldogsthru&thru
09-09-2024, 02:33 PM
It's all well and good to demand fair value for Smith and threaten the PSD but how do people suggest we deal to get anywhere near a top 5 pick let alone top 10?

We've been absolutely crucified by his choice of club ala Dunkley. It's going to need a 3rd party get involved and I'm not sure that's going to be easy. Getting nothing for him would be a disaster given our lack of first rounders this year. The cats won't really care if he goes to the psd. It's rare he still won't end up there.

Grantysghost
09-09-2024, 02:43 PM
It's all well and good to demand fair value for Smith and threaten the PSD but how do people suggest we deal to get anywhere near a top 5 pick let alone top 10?

We've been absolutely crucified by his choice of club ala Dunkley. It's going to need a 3rd party get involved and I'm not sure that's going to be easy. Getting nothing for him would be a disaster given our lack of first rounders this year. The cats won't really care if he goes to the psd. It's rare he still won't end up there.
Yes it's all a pipe dream.

We will get bent over because the system allows it.

That "first round" pick will be it, and if we hold too long the cats will just trade it for something else and give us worse.

We are in no position to bargain, they know we can't afford to let him walk to the PSD.

Rocket Science
09-09-2024, 02:46 PM
It's cool we keep leaching young mids because our on-ball mafia that keeps pissing its pants in finals has no room for them.

No that's not wholly true but dead set, man.

MrMahatma
09-09-2024, 02:47 PM
Just unfollowed him on Insta.

That'll show him. Who's laughing now "bazlenka"... !?

Doc26
09-09-2024, 02:49 PM
He can go cotton off but hoping that the Bombers can win him over now as they?re the only so called big Club with any decent draft collateral to put up this year.

Sedat
09-09-2024, 02:53 PM
Richards coming into the midfield and Sanders learning the ropes for a year have us better placed than we otherwise might have been. We still need to bring in more midfield talent via the draft this season and next, and also keep bringing in players who fill a specific need from elsewhere.

What might have been in 2021 - it was his errant sloppy handball on D50 that gifted Melbourne a goal from nowhere and completely against the run of play in that GF. As elite a runner as he is, he is not a great user of the ball by hand or foot.

The circus is over.

bulldogtragic
09-09-2024, 03:00 PM
First & F1 for Baz & F2…

Or PSD.

That simple.

bulldogtragic
09-09-2024, 03:01 PM
P.S.

Great. I had enough 12 months ago and no longer have to hear anything about him soon.

GVGjr
09-09-2024, 03:01 PM

Whoever is advising him has done a shit ****ing job.

And to make matters worse he is with Connors sport who have a heap of experience although the ethical part might not be their strong point.

jeemak
09-09-2024, 03:05 PM
Thanks for 2021 Baz. Glad we can hold our heads up and say we completed our end of the bargain, unlike you who leached our support when you were smashing drugs and being a general ****wit.

Be prepared to be treated without mercy by supporters who once loved you. You're dead to me.

Grantysghost
09-09-2024, 03:06 PM
Just unfollowed him on Insta.

That'll show him. Who's laughing now "bazlenka"... !?

https://i.giphy.com/media/v1.Y2lkPTc5MGI3NjExa203cG42cDlibnc0NGJwbWhqbHdteGpmNDc0amZod Wd0c2E2azZucyZlcD12MV9pbnRlcm5hbF9naWZfYnlfaWQmY3Q9Zw/YYfEjWVqZ6NDG/giphy.gif

GVGjr
09-09-2024, 03:07 PM
Both players are selfish people, up themselves who think they are better than they are and are not team orientated. You play a role in a TEAM game that best suits the team, not best suits you.

I think there is a clear distinction between the two departures. At least Dunkley was fully invested in his final year and earned his salary right through the season whereas Smith manipulated his way into spending the least amount of time he could at the club and even getting a couple of weeks away to enjoy and overseas break.

Other than the fact both asked for trades I think they're exceptionally different departures.

The Bulldogs Bite
09-09-2024, 03:08 PM
Not sure he'll be missed by many.

Happy Days
09-09-2024, 03:21 PM
Yeah the more I think about it the more I’m willing to stand on business with him. Not only because it would be undoubtedly the funniest thing we could do, but also because we’ve already done the heavy lifting of amending how we play to cover him.

He’s been effectively gone for 12 months already, we need to change our thinking on this and look at it as a free hit.

bulldogtragic
09-09-2024, 03:29 PM
Yeah the more I think about it the more I’m willing to stand on business with him. Not only because it would be undoubtedly the funniest thing we could do, but also because we’ve already done the heavy lifting of amending how we play to cover him.

He’s been effectively gone for 12 months already, we need to change our thinking on this and look at it as a free hit.

Brand Bailey at a cellar dweller would be worth it. Every last non cent.

josie
09-09-2024, 03:31 PM
Am I the only one who wished we’d kept Smith and traded English?

I wish Bailey well, except when he is playing us.

I don’t buy into the talk Smith is same as or worse than Dunkley. Smith has been injured, Dunkley wasn’t. I have a suspicion Smith doesn’t get along with Bevo that well. I know Smith is a show pony, so what. I think we should have played him more at centre clearances so I don’t blame him for seeking opportunities elsewhere so he gains more mid time & yes, play in front of big crowds and earn more from sponsors for Brand Bailey.

I want a fair deal if it’s a contending club eg Cats and if not yes PSD. Let’s not advantage a contender or send message we will allow ourselves to be walked over, otherwise it’s more likely gonna keep happening.

GVGjr
09-09-2024, 03:32 PM

It would be hilarious if negotiations were being tense between us and Geelong and Richmond or North just came out and said if he gets to the Preseason Draft we would be crazy not to pick him.

Grantysghost
09-09-2024, 03:42 PM
It would be hilarious if negotiations were being tense between us and Geelong and Richmond or North just came out and said if he gets to the Preseason Draft we would be crazy not to pick him.
Don't they usually just put some insane price on their head and that's that?

jeemak
09-09-2024, 03:50 PM
Wouldn't we just redraft him and pay the money, before he got to Geelong?

azabob
09-09-2024, 03:54 PM

North and Richmond would have more cap room than Geelong and be able to shuffle cash around a lot more easily.

Grantysghost
09-09-2024, 03:59 PM
North and Richmond would have more cap room than Geelong and be able to shuffle cash around a lot more easily.
But he just says I don't want to play for you.

It won't happen I get the sentiment but he will get to the team he wants to go to.

The AFLPA have negotiated well to empower the players in their wish for movement.
Clubs know they're powerless, it's why I'm surprised more haven't pulled the trigger on a trade whilst the player is contracted.

bulldogtragic
09-09-2024, 04:01 PM
But he just says I don't want to play for you.

It won't happen I get the sentiment but he will get to the team he wants to go to.

The AFLPA have negotiated well to empower the players in their wish for movement.
Clubs know they're powerless, it's why I'm surprised more haven't pulled the trigger on a trade whilst the player is contracted.

Like how Jade Rawlings didn’t want to play for us?

He goes with who drafts him unless we trade him.

Grantysghost
09-09-2024, 04:10 PM
Like how Jade Rawlings didn’t want to play for us?

He goes with who drafts him unless we trade him.
That was 20 years ago.

bulldogtragic
09-09-2024, 04:10 PM
That was 20 years ago.

What’s (rules) changed?

DOG GOD
09-09-2024, 04:12 PM
We won’t send him to the draft.
Geel will give us their first pick (22+) and reluctantly exchange our 3rd round picks, and we WILL accept it coz that's what we do.

I wonder if the playing group is as happy as I am…I’m doing cartwheels. Good riddance to him.

Grantysghost
09-09-2024, 04:14 PM
What’s (rules) changed?
Player power.

I can't think of a player that didn't get where they wanted to since the aflpa and managers became so influential.

I can't give you a rule sorry BT.

It's just the way things are now.

As I've said many times I'd have traded him last year.

GVGjr
09-09-2024, 04:29 PM

Not really because that should only work if the club actually has the capacity to pay it. I doubt Geelong could do that easily.
Richmond and North however, would have a heap in the cap if it came to that. Getting access to his medical records would be more of a stumbling block.

bornadog
09-09-2024, 04:35 PM
I don?t buy into the talk Smith is same as or worse than Dunkley.

I think there is a clear distinction between the two departures.

I am not saying the departures are the same, I am saying both are self centred gits who are not team players and want a certain role and won't do the team thing. Selfish

Grantysghost
09-09-2024, 04:45 PM
Not really because that should only work if the club actually has the capacity to pay it. I doubt Geelong could do that easily.
Richmond and North however, would have a heap in the cap if it came to that. Getting access to his medical records would be more of a stumbling block.

Yes I think we may need to factor in there's more to Bailey behind the scenes that could push his price down.

Coming of a knee too. I'll be happy with the Cats first rounder and we move on.

GVGjr
09-09-2024, 04:46 PM
First & F1 for Baz & F2?

Or PSD.

That simple.

You've normally got a great feel for how a trade might go down and what players are worth but you might be a bit generous with this offer. I wonder if giving back a F2 in this scenario is a bit too generous. I might be splitting hairs with it :) but a F3 seems a vastly better
and more balanced counter.

GVGjr
09-09-2024, 04:57 PM
I am not saying the departures are the same, I am saying both are self centred gits who are not team players and want a certain role and won't do the team thing. Selfish

Leaving a club to further your career, enhance your financial position or to get better opportunities is now the new norm and it's going to take a while for many of us to come to terms with that. Enough people knew Dunks was heading north and his attitude, effort and professionalism can't really be questioned. Smith on the other hand was exceptionally self focused and didn't help his team.
It's okay if anyone chooses not to see the differences and just lumps them both into the 'selfish git' basket but there is a massive difference in the two departures from my perspective.

Hotdog60
09-09-2024, 05:15 PM
Could we get a player with their 1st round pick someone we could use that isn't getting a game because there is a senior player taking their role.
I don't know anything about the Geelong VFL side but could we get into someone's ear to request a trade.

bulldogtragic
09-09-2024, 05:30 PM
You've normally got a great feel for how a trade might go down and what players are worth but you might be a bit generous with this offer. I wonder if giving back a F2 in this scenario is a bit too generous. I might be splitting hairs with it :) but a F3 seems a vastly better
and more balanced counter.

If he had a good year, or no ACL maybe. But this is my take it or leave it, bottom line. Two picks around 20 isn’t great, but that’s as low as I’d go. We start with handing nothing back next year and work back to the F2 at worst.

Holistically, if we can get two firsts last year & Freijah, a first this year, two firsts next year and anything from $1M-$2M in salary cap to hopefully attract someone worthwhile to come, then we should be pretty happy. More so if we can load up on mid range picks this year (we won’t have them with West & likely Cooney) we should be pretty happy with that as four year block of list management.

The Adelaide Connection
09-09-2024, 05:49 PM
I would like to see us walk him to the PSD and then pick him up if we aren't properly compensated.

it won't happen, but I would love for clubs to be able to take some of the power back.

GVGjr
09-09-2024, 06:09 PM
I would like to see us walk him to the PSD and then pick him up if we aren't properly compensated.

it won't happen, but I would love for clubs to be able to take some of the power back.

I agree there is no way we would redraft him and my word wouldn't the AFLPA, the AFL and the player managers turn on us if we did?

Ozza
09-09-2024, 06:17 PM
Bailey will play really well at Geelong as an inside mid. That's the reality of it.

I'm annoyed with him sure, but I also think he wasn't managed particularly well by the coaches over the last couple of seasons and that has contributed to his decision.

The Adelaide Connection
09-09-2024, 06:18 PM
I agree there is no way we would redraft him and my word wouldn't the AFLPA, the AFL and the player managers turn on us if we did?

Is it really worst than the Demons refusing to let contracted Petracca leave when he NEARLY DIED and clearly the trauma around the situation had him wanting to get the hell out of there?

GVGjr
09-09-2024, 06:31 PM
Is it really worst than the Demons refusing to let contracted Petracca leave when he NEARLY DIED and clearly the trauma around the situation had him wanting to get the hell out of there?

Vastly worse, the contract in place means that he is theirs. It might not be as compassionate as some would prefer but Melbourne certainly has the right to hold him to the deal.

kickit2Koly
09-09-2024, 06:43 PM
Anyone want to buy a Bailey Smith signed Good Friday match worn Jumper?!��*♂️ Might be worth more now that both have been taken from us and given to “bigger clubs”.

Grantysghost
09-09-2024, 06:44 PM
Bailey will play really well at Geelong as an inside mid. That's the reality of it.

I'm annoyed with him sure, but I also think he wasn't managed particularly well by the coaches over the last couple of seasons and that has contributed to his decision.
You do have to question two superstar mids leaving don't you.

If Bevo is so close to the players how does this happen?

Uninformed
09-09-2024, 06:55 PM
Wish him well wherever he goes. It is his career and may be the best move for him.

We need invested players at the Dogs. Players who can see how the club works well for them.

Not too worried about the compensation. Hawthorn only got pick 19 for Buddy and then went on to win three premierships.

I will have the the premierships that invested players bring you.