PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the Bulldogs: Bailey Smith

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

SonofScray
07-07-2019, 09:47 AM
He is always moving his feet. An important and often overlooked trait. I have a lot of confidence when he is in the thick of it, that we'll get a physically robust effort as a minimum, and more than likely a clean disposal from a marginal win.

The Doctor
07-07-2019, 10:18 AM
best player in his draft right now

anfo27
07-07-2019, 10:34 AM
Another Brad Johnson! So impressed with his contested work. Doesn't get the love other kids in his draft does. Look forward to this kid developing into something special.

GVGjr
07-07-2019, 11:12 AM
While we are singing the praises of Bailey Smith right now it's also important to know he didn't have a good preseason given his injuries. I think he has scope for even more improvement.

Twodogs
07-07-2019, 11:20 AM
I missed it first time around but the rebound off Bailey at halfback in the last quarter was telling I thought. Everyone kept their head and rushed the ball forward afterwards.

Happy Days
07-07-2019, 11:46 AM
Love Bailey and his weird mouthguard, but one criticism - who on earth taught him how to handball? Could not look less organic, I've seen a more convincing technique on Rob Lowe.

Go_Dogs
07-07-2019, 04:28 PM
Absolute steal of the draft. A few clubs will regret passing on him.

bornadog
08-07-2019, 12:44 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D-6bH3yU4AE1hxz.jpg

AshMac
08-07-2019, 07:49 PM
He’s a beast. Loved watching 2 cats players unable to drag him to ground in a tackle. Absolutely loved him lashing out at selwood after his goal. He is the perfect blend of raw talent, work ethic and aggression.

bulldogtragic
08-07-2019, 08:02 PM
FMD. Built stronger than I've seen a kid, and explosive in speed and does this in his first 15 games straight. If the draft was re-held today I wonder where he'd be taken?

As I said, FMD:

Ranked 1st among rising stars in Total Centre Clearances
Ranked 1st among rising stars in Total Tackles
Ranked 2nd among rising stars in Total Stoppage Clearances
Ranked 2nd among rising stars in Total Clearances
Ranked 2nd among rising stars in Total Contested Possessions
Ranked 2nd among rising stars in Total Handballs
Ranked 3rd among rising stars in Total Uncontested Possessions
Ranked 3rd among rising stars in Total Disposals
Ranked 3rd among rising stars in Total Score Involvements
Ranked 3rd among rising stars in Total Supercoach Score
Ranked 3rd among rising stars in Total Effective Disposals
Ranked 5th among rising stars in Total AFL Fantasy Score
Ranked 6th among rising stars in Total Tackles Inside 50
Ranked 7th among rising stars in Total Metres Gained
Ranked 8th among rising stars in Total Time On Ground %
Ranked 9th among rising stars in Total Inside 50s
Ranked 9th among rising stars in Total Kicks

Testekill
08-07-2019, 09:00 PM
In any other year he'd be a shoe-in for Rising Star. Sadly Walsh already got the hype treatment from the start (and he has been great) and Stack has the feel-good story along with the performances.

azabob
08-07-2019, 10:01 PM
He’s a beast. Loved watching 2 cats players unable to drag him to ground in a tackle. Absolutely loved him lashing out at selwood after his goal. He is the perfect blend of raw talent, work ethic and aggression.

What was even better was Selwood and Smith were opposed to each other in that passage of play when it was kicked inside 50.. Selwood went ball watching whilst Smith went goal kicking...

bornadog
08-07-2019, 10:16 PM
In any other year he'd be a shoe-in for Rising Star. Sadly Walsh already got the hype treatment from the start (and he has been great) and Stack has the feel-good story along with the performances.

Bont should have won, Daniel should have won, and now Smith - do we care?, we know who has the best players :)

Ozza
08-07-2019, 11:33 PM
Not sure there has been a first year player put forward such consistent output and handle such a load as Sam Walsh has. No dramas with Bailey running second to a player like Walsh. Both are going to be absolute stars.

AshMac
09-07-2019, 09:53 AM
What was even better was Selwood and Smith were opposed to each other in that passage of play when it was kicked inside 50.. Selwood went ball watching whilst Smith went goal kicking...

That’s awesome!

Grantysghost
09-07-2019, 10:12 AM
FMD. Built stronger than I've seen a kid, and explosive in speed and does this in his first 15 games straight. If the draft was re-held today I wonder where he'd be taken?

As I said, FMD:

Ranked 3rd among rising stars in Total Effective Disposals
Ranked 5th among rising stars in Total AFL Fantasy Score
Ranked 9th among rising stars in Total Inside 50s
Ranked 9th among rising stars in Total Kicks

Wow that is awesome. Do you think if we didn't get bumped up a spot, (I think due to compo for Suns (Lynch)) that we would've went for someone different like a King as best available? I'm so glad we didn't. This kid is the complete package, and I have it on good information that loyalty is one of his virtues. We treat this kid right, we've got a 200+ game A grader on our hands.

bulldogtragic
09-07-2019, 10:20 AM
Wow that is awesome. Do you think if we didn't get bumped up a spot, (I think due to compo for Suns (Lynch)) that we would've went for someone different like a King as best available? I'm so glad we didn't. This kid is the complete package, and I have it on good information that loyalty is one of his virtues. We treat this kid right, we've got a 200+ game A grader on our hands.

And Freo tanked at Geelong to leap frog us. We 'might' have taken Rankine or King. But things have worked out spectacularly for us. Short of a contract extension announcement, which is hopefully coming soon.

Mofra
09-07-2019, 10:58 AM
Not sure there has been a first year player put forward such consistent output and handle such a load as Sam Walsh has. No dramas with Bailey running second to a player like Walsh. Both are going to be absolute stars.
I'd take Smith over Walsh, purely on hurt factor of possession.

We have enough accumulators. Walsh can turn the ball over.

Ozza
09-07-2019, 11:55 AM
I'd take Smith over Walsh, purely on hurt factor of possession.

We have enough accumulators. Walsh can turn the ball over.

I'm very very happy with Smith and agree with you on the long term.
But based on first year alone, in the 'rising star' discussion - Walsh is undoubtedly the club house leader.

Mofra
09-07-2019, 12:01 PM
I'm very very happy with Smith and agree with you on the long term.
But based on first year alone, in the 'rising star' discussion - Walsh is undoubtedly the club house leader.
He'll win it but Stack is line-ball IMO.

It's amazing to think if he was two weeks younger he would be in this years' draft and if he didn't have his archilles issues last year he may not have slid to us.

azabob
09-07-2019, 01:05 PM
That’s awesome!

You can track it on the replay. At first I was intrigued where Smith actually came from as suddenly he was there and all alone, as I dug deeper I realised Selwood was with him and then he wasn’t.

AshMac
09-07-2019, 06:58 PM

Nah - I reckon we had our sights set on smith regardless.

I thought if Rozee slipped to 7 then we might trade w port to jump ahead of Adelaide, maybe 10 and 15 - but probably not in hindsight considering who they’d lined up with those picks.

I think we were pretty set on him

Twodogs
15-07-2019, 03:30 AM
Is it just me or does Bailey look a bit like a younger, mulleted, Nick Cave?

Webby
15-07-2019, 08:23 AM

I’ve been running with a mid 80’s Ian Botham.

AshMac
15-07-2019, 09:31 AM
I loved that moment when he dropped the ball bull rushing a tackle in the 3rd. They got a goal from it but he broke the tackle and was out, the Dees player just landed a fluke touch in the ball.

That type of competitiveness and confidence is great to watch - not the outcome we wanted on that occasion - but great to see.

Love watching him grow each week.

azabob
15-07-2019, 09:38 AM
BT, why haven’t we extended his contract?

What would he be worth come year 3,4,5? His value is clearly increasing with every passing weekend.

bulldogtragic
15-07-2019, 09:52 AM
BT, why haven’t we extended his contract?

What would he be worth come year 3,4,5? His value is clearly increasing with every passing weekend.

Maybe his manager is holding out? Our usual practice has been to offer a two year extension to kids like him (4 years guaranteed). However, Naughton held out and only signed a one year extension last year. Then he got a second huge 4 year additional extension 6-7 months later and has (7 years guaranteed). The issue I see is if Bailey's manager wants more than two years, he'd potentially do Bailey out of money unless we paid big. If I were his manager I'd copy the Naughton model. Take a one year extension, and over the next two years let Bailey show why he should get a 4 year extension on a very good money deal that takes him to his free agency window. But from our side, I'd be happy to sign him up at for as long as we can. It's clear he's going to be a very, very good player.

Twodogs
15-07-2019, 11:39 AM
I’ve been running with a mid 80’s Ian Botham.

Yep I can see that.

comrade
15-07-2019, 12:03 PM
He’s a dead ringer for Billy from Stranger Things.

1eyedog
15-07-2019, 12:05 PM

Haha good get

Ghost Dog
15-07-2019, 01:50 PM
Haha good get

Shall we bump the 'look-a-like' thread? haha

AndrewP6
15-07-2019, 03:16 PM
Smith on instagram - Privilege to pull on dis *his word * jumper
Lachie Hunter in reply - You actually look like you're from 89 here.

:D :D :D

bornadog
15-07-2019, 04:38 PM

https://s1.r29static.com//bin/entry/af1/720x864,85/1876126/image.webp

http://www.aflplayers.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/08WBBr19SB450254350-760x438.jpg

Twodogs
15-07-2019, 07:53 PM
The eyes, the long face, the front section of the mullet are all Nick Cave from 1978. I can see him singing Shivers into that old style mic in the B&W film clip. Before the heroin kicked in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsIPoRTBV44&list=RDQsIPoRTBV44&start_radio=1&t=6

bornadog
15-07-2019, 09:46 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsIPoRTBV44&list=RDQsIPoRTBV44&start_radio=1&t=6

bornadog
11-08-2019, 03:01 PM
This kid has a bit of mongrel in him.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcShB3QgnYfsXQM6Bo5qUtgVAcpka_jkiUmm0fpDD21 9r_K7Md2T

https://1v1d1e1lmiki1lgcvx32p49h8fe-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/1562415125-GettyImages-1160379921-960x540.jpg

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTkxx4IL16LwBeyebZkzaZjFWNKzVztuil4_TqawbM nz2et2iYzhQ

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EBmh0ffU0AEIpUm?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

bulldogtragic
11-08-2019, 03:05 PM
And he already has bigger arms than all those guys. He and Dunkley are going to spend a decade just destroying and intimidating oppositions.

Rocket Science
11-08-2019, 03:21 PM
We really have curated a midfield with the capacity to bully teams.

Smith's snarl is particularly welcome on a team that's lacked it at times.

Happy Days
11-08-2019, 03:34 PM
This kid has a bit of mongrel in him.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcShB3QgnYfsXQM6Bo5qUtgVAcpka_jkiUmm0fpDD21 9r_K7Md2T

https://1v1d1e1lmiki1lgcvx32p49h8fe-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/1562415125-GettyImages-1160379921-960x540.jpg

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTkxx4IL16LwBeyebZkzaZjFWNKzVztuil4_TqawbM nz2et2iYzhQ

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EBmh0ffU0AEIpUm?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

This is a great development. I've thought for a while now that we're light on for absolute psychos.

BornInDroopSt'54
11-08-2019, 04:15 PM

I can see that but to me he is a blonde Prince.

ledge
11-08-2019, 04:53 PM
Get rid of the mullet and get the short shaved head going, look mean and get the opposition worried psychologically.

Go_Dogs
11-08-2019, 04:58 PM
Fast becoming one of my favourite players.

It's an astonishingly good draft already 2018, and Bailey may end up the best player from it.

jeemak
11-08-2019, 05:01 PM
He's great. I love his fire and willingness to give it back at such a young age.

LostDoggy
11-08-2019, 05:03 PM
And he already has bigger arms than all those guys. He and Dunkley are going to spend a decade just destroying and intimidating oppositions.

Those are some nice words to read. *Bith was not far from Jake most times, nightmares Jake. I thought you liked schoolies.. too bad your spirit animal is paddlepop lion.

bornadog
11-08-2019, 05:25 PM
Get rid of the mullet and get the short shaved head going, look mean and get the opposition worried psychologically.

Here is the reason for the Mullet:

He has other reasons to keep cultivating his mane of hair, given he has joined the Mullets for the Kids campaign to raises money and awareness for the Royal Children's Hospital."Doing it for a purpose is really rewarding," he said.

Vred
11-08-2019, 05:25 PM
Future club captain.
qupte me in 8 years when he is :cool:

The bulldog tragician
11-08-2019, 06:41 PM
This is a great development. I've thought for a while now that we're light on for absolute psychos.
A necessary ingredient in any successful outfit.

bulldogtragic
11-08-2019, 07:03 PM
Whilst not playing the exact same role, he reminds me of a young Luke Hodge. Young but built very strong, aggressive, loves to get in faces of big named players, tackles really hard, relishes the hard acts - giving and taking, leads by doing, can kick a goal. A young leader that will take 21 guys over the line of need be, and stand up on the biggest of stages. A spiritual leader in waiting.

I actually like and respect Hodge, so I don't say that lightly.

Twodogs
12-08-2019, 10:31 AM
I can see that but to me he is a blonde Prince.

I have seen that psycho look up close and personal on Nick's face a few times. He had a bit of an attitude on him when he was younger. And middle aged. And older...

1eyedog
12-08-2019, 10:34 AM

Love the mullet.

Happy Days
12-08-2019, 11:17 AM
I vote that he shaves his head and also starts carrying a baseball bat everywhere

Vred
12-08-2019, 11:29 AM
Love the mullet.

If only I could grow a mullet..

BornInDroopSt'54
12-08-2019, 12:04 PM
I have seen that psycho look up close and personal on Nick's face a few times. He had a bit of an attitude on him when he was younger. And middle aged. And older...
Smith Street Collingwood, 'The Jump Club'.

Twodogs
12-08-2019, 12:19 PM
Smith Street Collingwood, 'The Jump Club'.

With Screamin' Jay Hawkins.

I can remember sitting in a dressing room at the Venue in St Kilda in the late '80s. The Bad Seeds had just finished playing (supported by Died Pretty and one of Chris Wilson's bands-may have been Crown of Thorns) and I see Nick snake his arm around a friend of mine and steal all of his smokes! That was OK though because we had made quite a dent in the band's rider while they were on stage...

Bumper Bulldogs
12-08-2019, 06:04 PM
With Dunkley heading over to the States at the start of this year and it seems to have paid off in spades. Do we send Bailey Smith over this up coming pre season. He looks so o have already a tank bigger than some bits that had been in The system for a few years.

I would give anything to see him avoid the second year blues.

azabob
12-08-2019, 07:52 PM
Thought i'd share this podcast of Bailey Smith being interviewed on the AFL Road to The Draft Podcast on 22nd August 2018.

I've listened to it a few times but keep forgetting to share it.

Fairly humble kid who leaves no stone unturned to get the best out of himself. Which we all already know.

Bailey is on around the 14 minute mark.

https://rss.whooshkaa.com/rss/podcast/id/4087

bulldogtragic
26-08-2019, 08:18 PM
Bailey's final Home & Away Comparisons:

Ranked 2nd among rising stars in Total Effective Disposals

Ranked 3rd among rising stars in Total Goal Assists
Ranked 3rd among rising stars in Handballs Per Game

Ranked 4th among rising stars in Contested Possessions Per Game
Ranked 4th among rising stars in Total AFL Fantasy Score
Ranked 4th among rising stars in Stoppage Clearances Per Game
Ranked 4th among rising stars in Score Involvements Per Game
Ranked 4th among rising stars in Total Turnovers

Ranked 5th among rising stars in Disposals Per Game
Ranked 5th among rising stars in Tackles Per Game
Ranked 5th among rising stars in Supercoach Score Per Game
Ranked 5th among rising stars in Effective Disposals Per Game
Ranked 5th among rising stars in Clearances Per Game

Ranked 7th among rising stars in Total Kicks
Ranked 8th among rising stars in AFL Fantasy Score Per Game
Ranked 8th among rising stars in Uncontested Possessions Per Game
Ranked 8th among rising stars in Centre Clearances Per Game
Ranked 9th among rising stars in Inside 50s Per Game
Ranked 10th among rising stars in Goal Assists Per Game

Gun.

Dry Rot
26-08-2019, 08:34 PM
When is the Rising Star winner announced?

jeemak
Yep, absolute gun and I can't wait to watch him as his career develops.

Dry Rot
Bailey's final Home & Away Comparisons:

Ranked 2nd among rising stars in Total Effective Disposals

Ranked 3rd among rising stars in Total Goal Assists
Ranked 3rd among rising stars in Handballs Per Game

Ranked 4th among rising stars in Contested Possessions Per Game
Ranked 4th among rising stars in Total AFL Fantasy Score
Ranked 4th among rising stars in Stoppage Clearances Per Game
Ranked 4th among rising stars in Score Involvements Per Game
Ranked 4th among rising stars in Total Turnovers

Ranked 5th among rising stars in Disposals Per Game
Ranked 5th among rising stars in Tackles Per Game
Ranked 5th among rising stars in Supercoach Score Per Game
Ranked 5th among rising stars in Effective Disposals Per Game
Ranked 5th among rising stars in Clearances Per Game

Ranked 7th among rising stars in Total Kicks
Ranked 8th among rising stars in AFL Fantasy Score Per Game
Ranked 8th among rising stars in Uncontested Possessions Per Game
Ranked 8th among rising stars in Centre Clearances Per Game
Ranked 9th among rising stars in Inside 50s Per Game
Ranked 10th among rising stars in Goal Assists Per Game

Gun.

Is it possible to compare that to Walsh?

bulldogtragic
26-08-2019, 08:36 PM
Is it possible to compare that to Walsh?

Yep, go to Footywire.com and you can compare them.

Hotdog60
26-08-2019, 08:40 PM
Not much between Walsh and Smith. Walsh just gets a bit more of the ball at this stage but in saying that the Carlton players have been looking for him because of his skill set. We have more options. ;)

jeemak
26-08-2019, 09:10 PM
Here's the comparison between the two from footywire:

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=8&playerStatus2=A&tid2=4&type=A&pid1=6618&pid2=6442&fid1=S&fid2=S

Big point of difference is disposal efficiency. If Smith can get his hands on it more after a full preseason this should see him bridge the gap a little.

Walsh's numbers are outstanding and he will thoroughly deserve the gong this year.

bornadog
26-08-2019, 09:51 PM
Here's the comparison between the two from footywire:

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=8&playerStatus2=A&tid2=4&type=A&pid1=6618&pid2=6442&fid1=S&fid2=S

Big point of difference is disposal efficiency. If Smith can get his hands on it more after a full preseason this should see him bridge the gap a little.

Walsh's numbers are outstanding and he will thoroughly deserve the gong this year.

Smith has to compete with the century club to get the ball, whereas Walsh only has Cripps.

Agree Walsh will get it, but I am happy with Bazz and wouldn't swap him for Walsh

Bumper Bulldogs
26-08-2019, 10:53 PM
I recon it all comes down to “time on ground” Walsh has 10% more game time and plays more midfield minutes. Clearly if he were in our side with Bont, McCrae, Dunks, Libba he would not have numbers anywhere near our boy.

Axe Man
28-08-2019, 11:57 AM
AFL.com writers have Smith finishing in fourth place in the rising star behind Walsh, Rozee and Stack. Seems a reasonable result as all have had excellent seasons. Interestingly two have him second only to Walsh whilst five others give him no votes at all.

Who wins the 2019 Rising Star? Our reporters name their top five (https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-08-28/rising-star-special-our-reporters-name-their-top-five)

Total
60 – Sam Walsh (Carlton) – 555555555555
38 – Connor Rozee (Port Adelaide) – 444444333311
35 – Sydney Stack (Richmond) – 444333333311
19 – Bailey Smith (Western Bulldogs) – 4432222
8 – Oscar Allen (West Coast) – 4211
6 – Xavier Duursma (Port Adelaide) – 2211
5 – Cam Zurhaar (North Melbourne) – 221
4 – Gryan Miers (Geelong) - 22
3 – Nick Blakey (Sydney) – 21
2 – Josh Battle (St Kilda) – 11

Twodogs
28-08-2019, 12:03 PM
Rozee is a fair player too. He has flown under the Walsh radar a little bit like a few others.

I like saying his name too, it sounds a bit like a toffee. I will have a Werners Conner Rozee delight please.

Rocket Science
28-08-2019, 12:27 PM
AFL.com writers have Smith finishing in fourth place in the rising star behind Walsh, Rozee and Stack. Seems a reasonable result as all have had excellent seasons. Interestingly two have him second only to Walsh whilst five others give him no votes at all.

Who wins the 2019 Rising Star? Our reporters name their top five (https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-08-28/rising-star-special-our-reporters-name-their-top-five)

Total

Jeez, that's a particularly healthy crop.

Be interesting to chart who kicks on.

Bulldog4life
28-08-2019, 01:12 PM

Total

That is crazy. They mustn't have watched him play.

Mofra
28-08-2019, 02:11 PM
Bailey Smith would have close to the most upside from that list - younger, interrupter pre-season.
Oscar Allen, Battle and Blakey huge upside too. I love the way Rozee plays.

Rocket Science
28-08-2019, 02:12 PM

Well, to be fair watching us before the bye wasn't exactly a picnic (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E51-2B8gHtk).

Give it another 12-18 months and those reckoning with our three Musketeers will be reckoning with a fourth.

Long may they bully teams.

comrade
28-08-2019, 02:31 PM
Extend his contract ASAP. Hawks having a nice chunk of cap space no longer tied to Conoglio makes me wary.

azabob
28-08-2019, 02:49 PM
Extend his contract ASAP. Hawks having a nice chunk of cap space no longer tied to Conoglio makes me wary.

I’m sure extending his contract is not through lack of effort on our part!

bornadog
28-08-2019, 02:54 PM

Of course they haven't watched him play

Dancin' Douggy
28-08-2019, 07:51 PM
That is a pretty damn impressive list of players. Great crop.
I love what I've seen of Zurhaar too.

At some point in the future, Bailey Smith may well be considered the best of the bunch

Total

westdog54
28-08-2019, 09:31 PM
Jeez, that's a particularly healthy crop.

Be interesting to chart who kicks on.

Isn't it.

Bailey would be stiff not to get in the podium in front of Stack but Walsh and Rozee are a thoroughly deserving 1 and 2.

AshMac
28-08-2019, 10:13 PM
not suprised he is ranked 4th, he plays for the bulldogs.

in seriousness, if the season (H&A) was another 5 rounds he'd surely come close to winning it.

Rozee and Stack both stars, I think Smith is a ready built footballer compared with them.

ledge
29-08-2019, 11:50 AM
Do a Bont just show them how wrong they were.

Bulldog Joe
29-08-2019, 05:04 PM
I prefer he misses the Rising Star and have a career like Bont.

Much better than winning and having a career like Rhys Palmer or Lewis Taylor.

Dancin' Douggy
29-08-2019, 05:37 PM
Rhys Palmer..............that guy was such a phoney.

Hotdog60
30-08-2019, 10:55 AM
AFLPA MVP

Best First-Year Player

1. Sam Walsh (400)
2. Connor Rozee (112)
3. Sydney Stack (62)

Smith is a bit stiff for third as his stats show he has had more impact than Stack overall.

bornadog
30-08-2019, 11:01 AM
AFLPA MVP

Best First-Year Player

1. Sam Walsh (400)
2. Connor Rozee (112)
3. Sydney Stack (62)

Smith is a bit stiff for third as his stats show he has had more impact than Stack overall.

This is voted by the players?

Hotdog60
30-08-2019, 11:21 AM

He must have got into too many faces. ;)

Axe Man
30-08-2019, 11:44 AM

Yes and I imagine most players only watch the footage they have to and don't watch many games. The others have higher profiles than Smith and predictably get the votes.

bornadog
30-08-2019, 04:10 PM
Yes and I imagine most players only watch the footage they have to and don't watch many games. The others have higher profiles than Smith and predictably get the votes.

Wouldn't swap Smith for any of them

divvydan
30-08-2019, 04:12 PM
Rising Star

Final votes:
1. Sam Walsh 54
2. Connor Rozee 42
3. Sydney Stack 28
4. Bailey Smith 21
5. Gryan Miers 5

Hotdog60
30-08-2019, 04:13 PM
Luke Darcy didn't give him a vote. Got to show some love for the breed.

bulldogtragic
30-08-2019, 04:20 PM
Why can't every time a see a new post in this thread by a re-signing announcement?

Flamethrower
30-08-2019, 04:40 PM
Kevin Bartlett, Luke Darcy and Cameron Ling did not have Bailey Smith in their top 5 - further proof that they know nothing about football.

Get these flogs off the AA panel.

Axe Man
30-08-2019, 04:44 PM
Luke Darcy didn't give him a vote. Got to show some love for the breed.

Yet Cameron Ling gave Bryan Myers or Gryan Miers or Crying Beers or whatever his name is 2 votes.

Bailey polled with 8 out of 11 voters so it was good recognition.

Grantysghost
30-08-2019, 04:45 PM
Wouldn't swap Smith for any of them

Me either. He's got something special. I think if Rankine had of been fit he is as good as any also.

bornadog
30-08-2019, 04:56 PM
Kevin Bartlett, Luke Darcy and Cameron Ling did not have Bailey Smith in their top 5 - further proof that they know nothing about football.

What a joke. I think it was Fartlett that didn't vote for The Bont. These guys no idea.

Axe Man
30-08-2019, 05:04 PM

Interesting that Kevin Sheehan, who is the underage footy expert on the voting panel, gave Bailey 3 votes and Stack none.

Rocket Science
30-08-2019, 05:33 PM
What a joke. I think it was Fartlett that didn't vote for The Bont. These guys no idea.

Cameron Ling's knack for ruining everything (https://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-09-03/its-taylor-in-a-thriller) goes way back ...

James Aish!

Onya Lingy.

kruder
30-08-2019, 06:20 PM
Miers is a nice player, but he is second year player and playing in one of the best teams in the comp.

Smith didn't train till Feb and nearly plays every game, handles himself in the centre square has already developed a fend off and as clean as can be. Anyone who put Miers in front of him has lost the plot.

ledge
30-08-2019, 06:55 PM

Wouldn’t say that, wasn’t it Luke Darcy who insisted we interview Bevo as a coach?

Axe Man
30-08-2019, 06:56 PM
Cameron Ling's knack for ruining everything (https://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-09-03/its-taylor-in-a-thriller) goes way back ...

James Aish!

Onya Lingy.

Again Kevin Sheehan knows what's what. Bont 5 votes, Aish 0.

Twodogs
30-08-2019, 07:11 PM

I think it was Ryan Griffin missing out to Brett Deledio you are thinking of. Bartlett didn't give Greff any votes and then refused to concede that it was because Deledio was a Richmond player.

GVGjr
30-08-2019, 07:49 PM
I think it was Ryan Griffin missing out to Brett Deledio you are thinking of. Bartlett didn't give Greff any votes and then refused to concede that it was because Deledio was a Richmond player.

No BAD is correct in what he is say re Bont, Bartlett voted for Taylor over Bontempelli

azabob
30-08-2019, 07:51 PM
No BAD is correct in what he is say re Bont, Bartlett voted for Taylor over Bontempelli

Bartlett also stooged Griffen from memory.

Twodogs
30-08-2019, 09:20 PM

Yeah the one I am thinking of was much earlier than Bont's eligibility period and there was a stink of favoring his old club which he tried to laugh off.

Happy Days
31-08-2019, 02:05 AM

At least Griffen shouldn't have actually won the award. The 2014 one was fixed and nothing will change my mind on it.

jeemak
31-08-2019, 02:17 AM
At least Griffen shouldn't have actually won the award. The 2014 one was fixed and nothing will change my mind on it.

Complete fix. Absolute fix. Nothing could describe it as otherwise.

Kevin Bartlett is just the worst. He's a tightarse prick, and full of himself, completely full of shit.

Could play footy though so we have to listen to him and let him determine stuff we shouldn't care about but do.

Mitcha
31-08-2019, 09:19 AM
Kevin Bartlett definitely has an agenda against the Dogs and has snubbed our players in this award constantly. For a bloke who seems to despise the current game he is certainly still on a fair few voting panels. Time to move on old mate.

Bulldog4life
31-08-2019, 11:13 AM
]Kevin Bartlett definitely has an agenda against the Dogs[/B] and has snubbed our players in this award constantly. For a bloke who seems to despise the current game he is certainly still on a fair few voting panels. Time to move on old mate.

He was a Footscray supporter as a kid too. Used to go to the matches.

1eyedog
31-08-2019, 11:58 AM
So when's Bailey Smith gonna extend?

1eyedog
31-08-2019, 11:58 AM
Wouldn’t say that, wasn’t it Luke Darcy who insisted we interview Bevo as a coach?

Yep and him and Harley also got Macca in.

azabob
31-08-2019, 04:07 PM
So when's Bailey Smith gonna extend?

Most asked question ever

ledge
31-08-2019, 07:42 PM
Most asked question ever

Probably straight after we win the grand final when the final siren goes.
Can’t see him going anywhere to be honest he couldn’t have had a better opportunity than we have given him this year.

Bulldog4life
02-09-2019, 04:43 PM

You would think the bloody AFL would get it right.

Luke Darcy also overlooked Western Bulldogs budding star Bailey Smith in his votes, much to the dismay of the red, white and blue army.

Although, Darcy said it was an administration error and that he had actually voted for Smith instead of Geelong’s Jordan Clark.

“Jordan Clark, they had alongside me, from Geelong as well,” he said.

“A very fine player, but I hadn’t voted for Jordan Clark, I was copping it from everyone.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/western-bulldogs-great-luke-darcy-defends-his-controversial-rising-star-votes/news-story/8ae543a6d60280e8c28eaff6cb97bb71

ratsmac
02-09-2019, 06:30 PM

Luke Darcy also overlooked Western Bulldogs budding star Bailey Smith in his votes, much to the dismay of the red, white and blue army.

Although, Darcy said it was an administration error and that he had actually voted for Smith instead of Geelong’s Jordan Clark.

“A very fine player, but I hadn’t voted for Jordan Clark, I was copping it from everyone.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/western-bulldogs-great-luke-darcy-defends-his-controversial-rising-star-votes/news-story/8ae543a6d60280e8c28eaff6cb97bb71

Well that's his story and he's sticking to it! :)

Twodogs
02-09-2019, 07:25 PM
I had a ping at Luke Darcy on Twitter about that. It obviously hit the spot.

I always knew Luke Darcy rated my opinion about footy!

Dancin' Douggy
02-09-2019, 07:26 PM

Whaaaat? An administrative 'oversight?' Sounds like the Russians were involved

BornInDroopSt'54
02-09-2019, 11:06 PM
I had a daydream Bailey will be BOG V GWS and win the game in the last quarter with goals, just like he practiced.

bornadog
03-09-2019, 12:07 PM
Bailey Smith video to watch here (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2019-09-03/bailey-smith-visits-his-local-footy-club)

Dancin' Douggy
03-09-2019, 01:12 PM
Bailey Smith video to watch here (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2019-09-03/bailey-smith-visits-his-local-footy-club)

That's a great little clip. I love him.

BornInDroopSt'54
03-09-2019, 03:14 PM
Bloody Kevin Barlett again fails to vote for the team hr grew up supporting. He didn't vote for Bontempelli either.

Axe Man
03-09-2019, 03:38 PM
Bloody Kevin Barlett again fails to vote for the team hr grew up supporting. He didn't vote for Bontempelli either.

Not quite true:

Kevin Bartlett
5 – Luke McDonald
4 – Lewis Taylor
3 – Marcus Bontempelli
2 – James Aish
1 – Luke Dunstan

Webby
03-09-2019, 06:41 PM

I think EJ put paid to any lingering affection KB had for the Dogs very early in the latter’s Richmond career..!

Twodogs
03-09-2019, 08:44 PM

That was Griffin Bartlett stooged. He gave his votes to Delidio.

FrediKanoute
03-09-2019, 10:34 PM
Not quite true:

Kevin Bartlett
5 – Luke McDonald
4 – Lewis Taylor
3 – Marcus Bontempelli
2 – James Aish
1 – Luke Dunstan

Amazing how far ahead The Bont is compared to all of those!

AshMac
04-09-2019, 12:00 AM
Amazing how far ahead The Bont is compared to all of those!

And that Patty Cripps wasnt even part of the conversation then

westbulldog
04-09-2019, 11:51 AM
I just re-watched our round 22 against the plastics, Bailey Smith was quite at home walking along amongst 4 or 5 plastics giving it to them. The kid has some grunt, don't expect him to take a backward step. Reminded me of Brereton walking/running through the Essendon (?) huddle.

Twodogs
04-09-2019, 01:35 PM
I just re-watched our round 22 against the plastics, Bailey Smith was quite at home walking along amongst 4 or 5 plastics giving it to them. The kid has some grunt, don't expect him to take a backward step. Reminded me of Brereton walking/running through the Essendon (?) huddle.

It was Essendon. He was trying to get at Billy Duckworth.

ledge
04-09-2019, 02:06 PM
It was Essendon. He was trying to get at Billy Duckworth.

Fast forward to 2019 and it’s Bailey Smith trying to get to Toby Green.

The Adelaide Connection
15-11-2019, 05:26 PM
Anyone know if Bailey Smith has been out to preseason?

It seems strange that he hasn’t yet featured in any photos or video. Is he injured?

Twodogs
30-12-2019, 07:53 PM

Looks like Bailey is in the bushfire zone. I hope he gets out OK.

Eastdog
30-12-2019, 08:35 PM

Is that around Gippsland way?

jeemak
30-12-2019, 09:00 PM
Geez he'd be unpopular with the ladies...…...

Twodogs
30-12-2019, 11:18 PM

I believe so. I'm prepared to drive up there and pick him up.

Twodogs
30-12-2019, 11:20 PM
Geez he'd be unpopular with the ladies...…...

I have pointed out before that he has more than a passing resemblance to Nick Cave with a mullet

jeemak
31-12-2019, 12:25 AM
I have pointed out before that he has more than a passing resemblance to Nick Cave with a mullet

I meant ladies, not middle aged men with a decades old man crush TD.

Twodogs
31-12-2019, 01:33 PM
I meant ladies, not middle aged men with a decades old man crush TD.

So I have an unhealthy obsession with Nick Cave, what's the problem with that? ;)

I mean who among us can honestly say that they have never taken their inspiration from a middle aged junkie?

BornInDroopSt'54
31-12-2019, 05:49 PM

I can see that but he still radiates a bleached version of Prince to me.

Twodogs
31-12-2019, 10:10 PM
I can see that but he still radiates a bleached version of Prince to me.

Yeah, well spotted.

BornInDroopSt'54
01-01-2020, 04:19 PM
The Age:
" Breaking out in 2020: The AFL contenders who could create a buzz
Bulldogs
Alex Keath: Made big strides with Adelaide in the first half of 2019 and was targeted at the trade table by the Bulldogs as a player who could fill a gaping hole in defence. The Dogs showed their faith in the soon-to-be 28-year-old by handing him a bumper three-year deal, with an option for a fourth season."
I reckon it will be Bailey Smith. He got the job done last season, now knows what's required and will go to another level. He had a better first year than Cooney and may have a better second year.

Happy Days
01-01-2020, 05:31 PM

Alright who photoshopped his head onto my body?

Mofra
07-01-2020, 12:13 PM
Alright who photoshopped his head onto my body?
Loved the Lachie Hunter comment: "I remember when I looked like that at 19"

comrade
07-01-2020, 12:21 PM
Loved the Lachie Hunter comment: "I remember when I looked like that at 19"

Has Lachie ever had muscle tone in his life? Pretty sure he and Jacko Macrae go to the same gym...

Axe Man
07-01-2020, 12:35 PM

That was at Beyond the Valley, a festival that takes place just outside Warragul where I live.

Yes it is in Gippsland, no it is nowhere near the East Gippsland bushfires burning hundreds of kilometres away. Gippsland is a big place you know. Melbourne people:rolleyes:

comrade
07-01-2020, 03:41 PM
That was at Beyond the Valley, a festival that takes place just outside Warragul where I live.

Yes it is in Gippsland, no it is nowhere near the East Gippsland bushfires burning hundreds of kilometres away. Gippsland is a big place you know. Melbourne people:rolleyes:

I had an overseas friend check in on me today to make sure we were ok and offered their place (in Germany) if needed....I live in Ballarat :D

Axe Man
07-01-2020, 04:34 PM
I had an overseas friend check in on me today to make sure we were ok and offered their place (in Germany) if needed....I live in Ballarat :D

Haha, they must think we have all been driven into the sea by now.

I saw someone locally ask if it was safe to go to Phillip Island. Never ceases to amaze me that people use the internet to ask a question they could easily answer themselves using said internet.

Twodogs
07-01-2020, 08:32 PM
Haha, they must think we have all been driven into the sea by now.

I saw someone locally ask if it was safe to go to Phillip Island. Never ceases to amaze me that people use the internet to ask a question they could easily answer themselves using said internet.

Twitter has convinced me that most Americans think we spend almost all of our time standing on chairs or otherwise avoiding the nasty beasties that are everywhere just waiting to take a piece out of you.

The other day I said that I'd much rather face down a funnel web or a redback instead of a lunatic with a gun and that I could't remember the last time a snake or a crocodile walked into a shopping centre and killed 35 people inside 30 seconds. I'd had enough rubbish for that day.

ledge
08-01-2020, 06:06 PM
Twitter has convinced me that most Americans think we spend almost all of our time standing on chairs or otherwise avoiding the nasty beasties that are everywhere just waiting to take a piece out of you.

The other day I said that I'd much rather face down a funnel web or a redback instead of a lunatic with a gun and that I could't remember the last time a snake or a crocodile walked into a shopping centre and killed 35 people inside 30 seconds. I'd had enough rubbish for that day.

You know the answer to that is more guns, so we actually need more crocs, snakes and spiders.

Dry Rot
08-01-2020, 10:24 PM
You know the answer to that is more guns, so we actually need more crocs, snakes and spiders.

Not always.

Japanese Army vs. Killer Crocodiles 1945

;https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuqslS_yV2U

Twodogs
08-01-2020, 11:06 PM
Not always.

Japanese Army vs. Killer Crocodiles 1945

;https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuqslS_yV2U

Heh! They aren't proper Australian saltwater Crocs though. Just pretend crocs!

Twodogs
08-01-2020, 11:08 PM
And Crocs aren't the main problem anyway;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gDjQ3KAi1w

I can't believe that the ADF managed to lose the only domestic battle they have ever been involved with TO A BUNCH OF EMUS!!!!!

bornadog
20-04-2020, 12:38 PM
Please don't turn this into a discussion about the Hunter incident.

Enjoy Bailey's highlights for 2019 - the kid is special.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRNEJYZeBXk

GVGjr
20-04-2020, 12:47 PM
A tremendous debut season. One of the best I have seen for us

The Bulldogs Bite
20-04-2020, 01:25 PM
What's his ceiling?

Do we think he can become our best mid?

GVGjr
20-04-2020, 01:28 PM
What's his ceiling?

Good question, hard to know but in time perhaps yes

EasternWest
20-04-2020, 01:41 PM
Please don't turn this into a discussion about the Hunter incident.

Enjoy Bailey's highlights for 2019 - the kid is special.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRNEJYZeBXk

He is ridiculously strong for a kid that doesn't look that strong.

Mofra
20-04-2020, 02:05 PM
What's his ceiling?

No.

Second best. Behind Bontempelli. Marcus is a freak. Bailey would become the best mid at quite a few clubs though.

Twodogs
20-04-2020, 07:24 PM
What's his ceiling?

At most clubs but Bailey plays alongside the Bont

Rocket Science
20-04-2020, 09:11 PM
Baz's ceiling is Selwood with a bit more outside dash and a much less punchable head.

He's that rare mix of high-end skill, hardness and dare that'll see him turn the outcome of games in due course.

Can. Not. Wait.

josie
20-04-2020, 10:21 PM
I also love the fact at such a tender age he already stands up to opposition when heat is on with controlled aggression e.g. pull oppo player off one of our players, jumper hold & stare player down etc - one of our few tough but fair sorts. We need him and Libba and Bonts and others to stand tall. No more of the timidity from last 2 matches or we will have an ongoing reputation as softies.

azabob
21-04-2020, 09:01 AM
Baz's ceiling is Selwood with a bit more outside dash and a much less punchable head.

He's that rare mix of high-end skill, hardness and dare that'll see him turn the outcome of games in due course.

Can. Not. Wait.

I get the feeling opposition supporters will find Bailey’s head very punchable in the future. He will be a fun but also has a bit of cheek and lip about him.

Can. Not. Wait.

jeemak
21-04-2020, 09:28 AM
In space he reminds me a bit of Brad Johnson. Deadly finisher and excellent kick. Whereas Johnno was amazing forward and overhead, Smith will be an absolute beast inside.

comrade
21-04-2020, 09:29 AM
In space he reminds me a bit of Brad Johnson. Deadly finisher and excellent kick. Whereas Johnno was amazing forward and overhead, Smith will be an absolute beast inside.

He's definitely got that Johnno-esque hunch when he runs too.

Bulldog4life
21-04-2020, 01:05 PM
A tremendous debut season. One of the best I have seen for us

Agree. Choco Royal and a certain C.Grant were tremendous too.

Twodogs
21-04-2020, 01:33 PM
Agree. Choco Royal and a certain C.Grant were tremendous too.

Leon Cameron.

GVGjr
21-04-2020, 01:40 PM
Leon Cameron.

An excellent debut season for sure.

chef
21-04-2020, 05:22 PM
Southern had a great debut season too.

chef
21-04-2020, 05:23 PM
And Naughton.

Jeanette54
21-04-2020, 06:45 PM
Am excellent debut season for sure.

Bailey reminds me of the Coon Dog's first season. Adam's body strength was way strong for a young man of his age, often bursting tackles against far more mature bodies. Also has that rare gift of making time stand still for him. Both great signs for a very promising future.

Axe Man
27-05-2020, 05:33 PM
Bailey Smith to brave the ‘Big Freeze’ (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/700063/bailey-smith-to-brave-the-big-freeze-)

Western Bulldogs young gun Bailey Smith has accepted the ‘Big Freeze’ challenge and will plunge into icy waters for a fantastic cause.

The annual Big Freeze event, now in its sixth year, raises much-needed funds and awareness to fight Motor Neurone Disease.

Normally set to take place before the annual clash between Collingwood and Melbourne at the MCG, event organisers have been forced to improvise amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

A special TV event will be broadcast live on Channel Seven on the Queen's Birthday holiday on Monday, June 8 – three days before the 2020 season is due to recommence.

All 18 AFL clubs will have one player representative slide into the ice bath as part of the telecast.

Smith’s outfit will be revealed during the Channel 7 program.

Luke Beveridge (2018), Bob Murphy (2019) and Liam Picken (2019) have previously taken part in the Big Freeze challenge.

The new-look FightMND beanies are on sale now for $20 at Coles, Bunnings or at fightmnd.org.au

BornInDroopSt'54
28-05-2020, 11:46 AM
Great stuff Bailey, good way to establish your credos to the general public. Your part in Hunter's debacle won't even be a quiz question.

1eyedog
24-06-2020, 09:24 PM
Get on it

https://carltondrafttshirts.com/products/vintage-bazlenka-front-only?variant=32628810186815

josie
24-06-2020, 09:35 PM
What a great t-shirt!! Thx 1eyedog.

azabob
25-06-2020, 08:41 AM
You know he must be good when commentators are talking him up and looking to re-do drafts and have him in the conversation as first pick.

To think he has gone from strength to strength.

The most exciting thing is there is more improvement to come also and to think he hardly played a game in his final year of under 18 footy.

Limited pre-season in 2019 and the 2020 season interrupted due to COVID and he still looks like a 100 game player already.

The Bulldogs Bite
25-06-2020, 09:03 AM
I actually don't know what his weaknesses are.

Strong, tough, wins the ball on the inside, fit and wins the ball on the outside, pace, skill and can kick a goal.

Fast becoming my favourite player.

GVGjr
25-06-2020, 09:24 AM

Strong, tough, wins the ball on the inside, fit and wins the ball on the outside, pace, skill and can kick a goal.

He's everything that you say plus I'd add durable to the mix. To get through last season in the manner he did after a limited preseason was a sensational effort especially given he also finished the season strongly.
If I'm to be as harsh as I can to find an area or two he could improve on it would be kicking more goals and perhaps his kicking on his opposite foot but that will come.
If we work on the assumption that he will continue to improve as he matures then we've landed a gem.

Mofra
25-06-2020, 09:34 AM
Ruckwork

EasternWest
25-06-2020, 10:11 AM
Ruckwork

You're not a modern Bulldog if you can ruck.

Happy Days
25-06-2020, 10:27 AM

Sorta his handball technique. Its absolutely brutal but seems to hold up under heat so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1eyedog
25-06-2020, 10:30 AM
Ruckwork

Bevo will give him his chance.

He reminds me a bit of Brad Johnson but with a harder edge. Not as good overhead as BJ but he might just be a tad quicker. If we can keep him at the club (and we should do everything we can do do just that), he could be anything.

josie
25-06-2020, 06:03 PM
Bevo will give him his chance.

He reminds me a bit of Brad Johnson but with a harder edge. Not as good overhead as BJ but he might just be a tad quicker. If we can keep him at the club (and we should do everything we can do do just that), he could be anything.

I have thought this too - even looks like a blonde mulleted version of smiling assassin. Signs are he will be as good as Brad which is amazing. We need to sign him up long term ASAP.

bornadog
01-08-2020, 06:49 PM
Love these photos

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EeT7fGuU4AAqHdU?format=jpg&name=medium

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EeT7guLUwAEic2v?format=jpg&name=900x900

bornadog
01-08-2020, 06:50 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EeT7iV3U0AMhucz?format=jpg&name=900x900

bornadog
27-08-2020, 11:54 AM
Is the Mullet gone?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EgYu3lUUcAAx3vV?format=jpg&name=medium

Happy Days
27-08-2020, 11:55 AM
Is the Mullet gone?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EgYu3lUUcAAx3vV?format=jpg&name=medium

Damn. Guess he'll have to deal with being a traditionally good looking person now.

Axe Man
27-08-2020, 11:57 AM
I reckon he's just pulled it around the other side of his head.

1eyedog
27-08-2020, 12:00 PM
Yep no way the mullet is gone

Mofra
27-08-2020, 12:01 PM
Damn. Guess he'll have to deal with being a traditionally good looking person now.
It's a heavy cross that some of us are forced to bear

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
27-08-2020, 12:04 PM
I think Sampson is just fooling us and still has his locks of superpower...as others have mentioned I think he's just swept it across to the side

bornadog
27-08-2020, 12:09 PM
I think Sampson is just fooling us and still has his locks of superpower...as others have mentioned I think he's just swept it across to the side

Yes, he did try and fool everyone.

1eyedog
27-08-2020, 12:26 PM
I mean it would be like playing with one down if he cut the mullet.

bornadog
27-08-2020, 01:38 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EgZJJrUU4AABGZY?format=jpg&name=large

azabob
27-08-2020, 02:08 PM
How good was Dwayne Russell's call of Smiths goal in the 3rd quarter V Melbourne?

Hunter, he flicks it onto Smith,
how goods this kid, don't you want to be him?
19 years of age and limitless....

That whole passage of play is one of my favourite for the year.

Around the 3.39 mark

https://www.afl.com.au/video/488924/highlights-western-bulldogs-v-melbourne?videoId=488924&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1598079746001

bornadog
27-08-2020, 03:06 PM
How good was Dwayne Russell's call of Smiths goal in the 3rd quarter V Melbourne?

Hunter, he flicks it onto Smith,
how goods this kid, don't you want to be him?
19 years of age and limitless....

That whole passage of play is one of my favourite for the year.

Around the 3.39 mark

https://www.afl.com.au/video/488924/highlights-western-bulldogs-v-melbourne?videoId=488924&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1598079746001

That was a good call

We forget that he is only 19.

BornInDroopSt'54
27-08-2020, 03:41 PM
Love these photos

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EeT7fGuU4AAqHdU?format=jpg&name=medium

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EeT7guLUwAEic2v?format=jpg&name=900x900

Love the leaning into space, like a racing motorcycle, knowing his legs will power under him.

Axe Man
26-09-2020, 04:28 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/XYRymRJg/E09-F1320-2-C02-4106-AECD-2815-D00-E0-EF9.jpg (https://postimg.cc/0zCQJH76)

1eyedog
26-09-2020, 06:12 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/XYRymRJg/E09-F1320-2-C02-4106-AECD-2815-D00-E0-EF9.jpg (https://postimg.cc/0zCQJH76)

I grabbed one of these to pin up on the memorabilia wall in the shed. It's all class.

Mofra
29-09-2020, 09:35 AM
I'd buy one if I didn't love my Libba one so much

azabob
29-09-2020, 10:09 AM
I'd buy one if I didn't love my Libba one so much

Why not have both?

bornadog
29-09-2020, 10:23 AM
Barrett interviews Bazza - see here (https://www.afl.com.au/video/511574/it-s-just-who-i-am-brand-bazlenka-in-a-hurry?videoId=511574&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1601276448001)

The Adelaide Connection
29-09-2020, 11:24 AM
Barrett interviews Bazza - see here (https://www.afl.com.au/video/511574/it-s-just-who-i-am-brand-bazlenka-in-a-hurry?videoId=511574&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1601276448001)

Barrett has clearly softened on us, have we softened on him a little too? This is the first interview I remember a Dogs player doing with him in forever.

bornadog
29-09-2020, 11:58 AM
Barrett has clearly softened on us, have we softened on him a little too? This is the first interview I remember a Dogs player doing with him in forever.

I also noticed his "if, and then" articles are more favourable than in the past. Bevo has shown him that you don't mess with us and he has come back sucking up to the club. :D

1eyedog
29-09-2020, 03:22 PM

What a fantastic interview and an upstanding young man.

Also really enjoyed the backhander at Purple. Something along the lines of a social media documentary he watched and the ability of social media to impact negatively on peoples mental health. Tells Purple he should watch it. Fan bloody tastic - Tom Boyd says thanks.

And I thought Johnno was the silent assassin!

SquirrelGrip
01-03-2021, 11:02 AM
https://www.afl.com.au/news/553183/-i-broke-down-at-the-club-bailey-s-battle-with-mental-health-revealed

'I broke down at the club': Bailey's battle with mental health revealed
Western Bulldogs star Bailey Smith opens up on his over-thinking and mental health struggles
By Damian Barrett

WESTERN Bulldogs star Bailey Smith has revealed that behind the rock star looks and alongside the extraordinary opening two seasons of his AFL career is a 20-year-old living with a mental health condition.

In a revealing and raw interview with AFL.com.au where he volunteered discussion about his mental health, Smith urged the AFL industry to open itself further to discussing and dealing with the issue.

The gun midfielder, who has played all possible 41 Bulldogs matches since being drafted in 2018, said football was "only the tiniest bit of me", that "you can never judge a book by its cover", and that premiership player and current assistant coach Dale Morris was one of many Bulldogs people who have helped him deal with his struggles.

"There was actually a time where (Morris) looked after me - I broke down at the club, everyone had left one night, and I was just struggling, this was in my first year, when it all gets too much for you," Smith said.

"Everyone had left. And he walked into the changerooms and gave me a big hug and said, 'I'm here for you'."

Smith, who turned 20 last December, said he had always been an "over-thinker" and "perfectionist".

"We've all got demons, we've all got things that make us anxious or struggle, and I've got my own mental health which I deal with, as I'm sure lots of people do, but it's just not spoken about as much as I'd like it, and I know we are getting better as a society and as footballers, talking about it, but we can be seen as easy going, living the dream, loving it," he said.

"It can be the truth, it can be the story but you can never judge a book by its cover. There's a lot going on. I'm an over-thinker, always have been.

"… it stems from growing up through school, and footy and stuff. I haven't been too open about it but I probably need to address it a bit more if it comes up in conversation. I think it's healthy to talk about it, and know that everyone doesn't always cope as well as they would like, and it's OK to put your hand up and say you're struggling.

"The club is really good, very open with this, and lots of my teammates know I struggle at times. People knew I had mental health issues before I got drafted, which is something which is OK and I take in my stride. It makes me a lot better and makes me who I am."

In the interview, Smith referred to two Baileys - the AFL footballer and the one known to those outside football.

The non-footballer, he said, was: "A sensitive, caring person, (who) loves talking to people, getting to know people, I love my dogs and love being relaxed. Football is only the tiniest bit of me, it used to be all of me, but I'm trying to steer clear of that because it is not a healthy way to be.

"That helps a lot in terms of not riding every bump which happens in football, because if you do that, it is such an emotionally tolling experience. And I did that last year, the year before, and it takes a big toll on you. The less you can see football as you, and solely you, I feel the easier it is to cope with the pressures, the talk.

"When you are a kid, you think about it, you had football, you had school, you had so much going on, and football was what you loved, and you have to try to keep it that way. It doesn't have to be solely you.

"It comes with over-thinking, I love thinking, I love exploring, I love listening to more mature, wiser people and feed that into my life."

Conceding that as a perfectionist he would never be perfect, Smith said pursuing perfection was important.

"That's the thing – you chase it, you're never going to get it, and I understand that and I don't do my head over that," he said.

"But I think it is important to have expectations of yourself and strive for whatever you want to be, and whatever that is, just chase it. You have to understand though you are never going to get there, it is a neverending thing, but the fun of chasing it is something I am very attracted to."

Asked what perfection might look like to him, he said: "I was thinking more like just having a family, happy, kids, just chilling after having a nice career, working away and going on holidays with the kids, as simple as that, it'd be pretty fun.

"With football, give me three, four, five (premierships) … three would be nice, one would be nice, just to play in one and make it there."

>> Lifeline is an Official Charity Partner of the AFL, which provides all Australians experiencing a personal crisis with access to 24-hour crisis support and suicide prevention services.

AshMac
03-03-2021, 07:49 PM
https://www.afl.com.au/news/553183/-i-broke-down-at-the-club-bailey-s-battle-with-mental-health-revealed

'I broke down at the club': Bailey's battle with mental health revealed
Western Bulldogs star Bailey Smith opens up on his over-thinking and mental health struggles
By Damian Barrett

WESTERN Bulldogs star Bailey Smith has revealed that behind the rock star looks and alongside the extraordinary opening two seasons of his AFL career is a 20-year-old living with a mental health condition.

In a revealing and raw interview with AFL.com.au where he volunteered discussion about his mental health, Smith urged the AFL industry to open itself further to discussing and dealing with the issue.

The gun midfielder, who has played all possible 41 Bulldogs matches since being drafted in 2018, said football was "only the tiniest bit of me", that "you can never judge a book by its cover", and that premiership player and current assistant coach Dale Morris was one of many Bulldogs people who have helped him deal with his struggles.

"There was actually a time where (Morris) looked after me - I broke down at the club, everyone had left one night, and I was just struggling, this was in my first year, when it all gets too much for you," Smith said.

"Everyone had left. And he walked into the changerooms and gave me a big hug and said, 'I'm here for you'."

Smith, who turned 20 last December, said he had always been an "over-thinker" and "perfectionist".

"We've all got demons, we've all got things that make us anxious or struggle, and I've got my own mental health which I deal with, as I'm sure lots of people do, but it's just not spoken about as much as I'd like it, and I know we are getting better as a society and as footballers, talking about it, but we can be seen as easy going, living the dream, loving it," he said.

"It can be the truth, it can be the story but you can never judge a book by its cover. There's a lot going on. I'm an over-thinker, always have been.

"… it stems from growing up through school, and footy and stuff. I haven't been too open about it but I probably need to address it a bit more if it comes up in conversation. I think it's healthy to talk about it, and know that everyone doesn't always cope as well as they would like, and it's OK to put your hand up and say you're struggling.

"The club is really good, very open with this, and lots of my teammates know I struggle at times. People knew I had mental health issues before I got drafted, which is something which is OK and I take in my stride. It makes me a lot better and makes me who I am."

In the interview, Smith referred to two Baileys - the AFL footballer and the one known to those outside football.

The non-footballer, he said, was: "A sensitive, caring person, (who) loves talking to people, getting to know people, I love my dogs and love being relaxed. Football is only the tiniest bit of me, it used to be all of me, but I'm trying to steer clear of that because it is not a healthy way to be.

"That helps a lot in terms of not riding every bump which happens in football, because if you do that, it is such an emotionally tolling experience. And I did that last year, the year before, and it takes a big toll on you. The less you can see football as you, and solely you, I feel the easier it is to cope with the pressures, the talk.

"When you are a kid, you think about it, you had football, you had school, you had so much going on, and football was what you loved, and you have to try to keep it that way. It doesn't have to be solely you.

"It comes with over-thinking, I love thinking, I love exploring, I love listening to more mature, wiser people and feed that into my life."

Conceding that as a perfectionist he would never be perfect, Smith said pursuing perfection was important.

"That's the thing – you chase it, you're never going to get it, and I understand that and I don't do my head over that," he said.

"But I think it is important to have expectations of yourself and strive for whatever you want to be, and whatever that is, just chase it. You have to understand though you are never going to get there, it is a neverending thing, but the fun of chasing it is something I am very attracted to."

Asked what perfection might look like to him, he said: "I was thinking more like just having a family, happy, kids, just chilling after having a nice career, working away and going on holidays with the kids, as simple as that, it'd be pretty fun.

"With football, give me three, four, five (premierships) … three would be nice, one would be nice, just to play in one and make it there."

>> Lifeline is an Official Charity Partner of the AFL, which provides all Australians experiencing a personal crisis with access to 24-hour crisis support and suicide prevention services.

Good on him for speaking out. Was so clear in his pre draft interviews that the obsession w footy wasn’t healthy - he called it out in the video clip is saw on the AFL app - they knew before drafting him.

Seems to have a level of maturity about him I hope holds him in good stead.

josie
03-03-2021, 10:51 PM
Good on Bailey for speaking openly about his struggles. Young lad getting some perspective on other things in life that are important in the longer term, whilst still having that drive to improve his footy and do what he can to win premierships.

Confirms yet again what’s great bloke Morris is. And that our club is a very supportive one - TBoyd, TCloke and now Bailey saying this.

Axe Man
26-03-2021, 03:01 PM
Mini Bailey Smith from the new NAB ad campaign.

https://i.postimg.cc/jd0jmfjq/smith.jpg (https://postimg.cc/yWjBSk92)

Scraggers
26-03-2021, 03:02 PM
Mini Bailey Smith from the new NAB ad campaign.

https://i.postimg.cc/jd0jmfjq/smith.jpg (https://postimg.cc/yWjBSk92)

You know you've made it in the big league when you have a mini-me ;)

comrade
26-03-2021, 03:10 PM
Looks like Joe Dirt Jr.

Scraggers
26-03-2021, 03:38 PM
Looks like Joe Dirt Jr.

HAHAHAHAHA :D I"m not going to be able to get that image out of my head now

jeemak
06-04-2021, 09:46 PM
Folks are upset because Smith was getting into one of the AFL's good guys on the weekend:

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/04/06/western-bulldogs-youngster-called-out-for-belittling-on-field-behaviour/

Dermie of course leading the charge, he's obviously suffering severe memory loss from his own career and the stupid shit that's come out of his mouth and he's glorified since. Twerp.

GVGjr
06-04-2021, 09:50 PM
Folks are upset because Smith was getting into one of the AFL's good guys on the weekend:

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/04/06/western-bulldogs-youngster-called-out-for-belittling-on-field-behaviour/

Dermie of course leading the charge, he's obviously suffering severe memory loss from his own career and the stupid shit that's come out of his mouth and he's glorified since. Twerp.
'
Perhaps it's an area for Smith to tone down a bit it's a bit rich that the suggestion is coming from Dermie. Smith fly's the flag for his teams mates which is something we all respect.

Twodogs
06-04-2021, 09:59 PM

'
Perhaps it's an area for Smith to tone down a bit it's a bit rich that the suggestion is coming from Dermie. Smith fly's the flag for his teams mates which is something we all respect.

Ziebull hit Travis Cloke from behind when Cloke was completely unprepared for it and pretty much finished his career by smashing his ribs. When's Dermie going to speak up about that?

I'll take a bit of lip over a cowardly unpunished attack any day. Ziebull is a long way in front in the serendipity stakes I reckon.

jeemak
06-04-2021, 10:01 PM
'

Perhaps he could. But I'm pretty confident he'd get a fair bit of lip coming his way every game and would have done since he started growing his hair.

Additionally, it's pretty cheap to conflate opening up about mental illness and being vulnerable with what happens on a footy field. It's like saying as soon as you open up about being vulnerable off the field your on field actions have to be constrained by that. It's dumb.

jeemak
06-04-2021, 10:04 PM
Ziebull hit Travis Cloke from behind when Cloke was completely unprepared for it and pretty much finished his career by smashing his ribs. When's Dermis going to speak up about that?

I'll take a bit of lip over a cowardly unpunished attack any day. Ziebull is a long way in front in the serendipity stakes I reckon.

It was actually front/ side on contact after Cloke disposed of the footy. Ziebell cannoned into him as he was completing his follow through post kick. Highly opportunistic, the type of thing he's known for (in addition to jumping into vulnerable people with hip and shoulders etc.).

What's great about Dermie's comments is he thinks Ziebell is a fine character. You know, because lining up vulnerable people isn't as bad as taunting them verbally.

bulldogsthru&thru
06-04-2021, 10:09 PM
So many things about Dermies comments are hilarious. Thinking Ziebel is a moral character. Thinking he was innocent on Friday. Thinking he himself is some upstanding citizen. Calling out mental health issues as a reason for being immune to football field antics that are otherwise acceptable.

Loved seeing Bailey fly the flag. He certainly wasn’t doing it for no reason.

1eyedog
06-04-2021, 10:19 PM
Looks like Joe Dirt Jr.

Great get.

comrade
06-04-2021, 10:20 PM
Baz got in Ziebell’s face because he tried to destroy Bruce in a faux tough guy tackle earlier in the quarter.

Twodogs
06-04-2021, 10:31 PM
It was actually front/ side on contact after Cloke disposed of the footy. Ziebell cannoned into him as he was completing his follow through post kick. Highly opportunistic, the type of thing he's known for (in addition to jumping into vulnerable people with hip and shoulders etc.).

What's great about Dermie's comments is he thinks Ziebell is a fine character. You know, because lining up vulnerable people isn't as bad as taunting them verbally.

It was a snipe job whichever way he took him out I reckon. I still can't believe the footy world just shrugged it's collective shoulders and said "oh well. What a shame. How good is Jack Ziebull everybody?"

Bulldog Joe
06-04-2021, 10:32 PM
Baz got in Ziebell’s face because he tried to destroy Bruce in a faux tough guy tackle earlier in the quarter.

I was amazed at the lack of comment on how dangerous that tackle was.

I was genuinely concerned that Bruce may have not been able to get up with his head buried and his neck bent so seriously. It was about as dangerous a tackle as you could see.

comrade
06-04-2021, 10:34 PM
I was amazed at the lack of comment on how dangerous that tackle was.

I was genuinely concerned that Bruce may have not been able to get up with his head buried and his neck bent so seriously. It was about as dangerous a tackle as you could see.

Yeah it was rubbish and ruffled Brucey up, too.

Grantysghost
06-04-2021, 11:10 PM
Maybe Bailey should've stood on his head? This is acceptable to Derm isn't it?

Not sure how he's still relevant, AFL media really needs to move on from his era.

SonofScray
06-04-2021, 11:15 PM
How Dermie can put those comments out there in one breath and then giggle and jerk off over Toby Greene’s antics in the next is the sort of gymnastics that could see him with a spot on the girls artistic team at Tokyo.

Baz gives it. Takes it. It’s rarely been unsportsmanlike, seems like a kid with a bit of a taste for theatre. Very comfortable with his behaviour. It’s safely on the right side of what’s fair and appropriate on the field.

soupman
06-04-2021, 11:48 PM
I'm not too fussed.

I also doubt anybody aside from Dermott cares. If anything him drawing attention to it is likely to win Bailey some more fans.

Happy Days
06-04-2021, 11:49 PM
Ziebell should be deregistered. I’m amazed he was able to get the ball so many times last week without kicking himself in the face or something.

Rocket Science
06-04-2021, 11:51 PM
Chirping opponents who give away frees, particularly in front of goal, is so tediously commonplace now it's practically rote to the point players expect it and rarely bite back, it's the cost of doing business.

So Brereton somehow lays it at the feet of Baz as if it's a unique trait unbecoming of the game he played in such gentlemanly fashion, then idiotically conflates it with the issue of mental wellbeing and Derm's weird AF set of protocols around the topic.

Piss off you antiquated dickhead. I can't wait for a hasty follow-up statement clarifying his comments.

As an aside the only thing I enjoyed about the glimpse of Melbourne vs the Giants I dared the other night was how Kelli Underwood routinely spoke over Brereton's endless verbal diarrhoea in an effort to call the game while wondering why other callers haven't started doing this sooner.

Vred
07-04-2021, 03:23 AM

Coming from this flog, the comments are laughable.

We need MORE of this, not less, I want our players to fight for it and stick up for whats right, we don't need to go the complete GWS spectrum and be outright bullies, but after what happened to Bruce it's GREAT to see our guys stick up for eachother, that tackle could of seriously injured Bruce and I was worried it was done for the day, to see Baz go and give it back (With Libba and VDM in toe) Was great to see.

More fight, when the occasion calls for it, not less.

dog town
07-04-2021, 05:39 AM
I didn’t like it either to be honest, it’s a bit opportunistic and we have form with it. We had a few similar acts late in our win over GWS (second last game 2019) and it came back to bite us. Not sure it serves much purpose to be honest but it isn’t as big an issue as Derm has made out.

There is a time and a place for getting in the oppositions face and that wasn’t it in my view. As a coach I have never liked it from my teams in that scenario.

GVGjr
07-04-2021, 09:05 AM
I didn’t like it either to be honest, it’s a bit opportunistic and we have form with it. We had a few similar acts late in our win over GWS (second last game 2019) and it came back to bite us. Not sure it serves much purpose to be honest but it isn’t as big an issue as Derm has made out.

There is a time and a place for getting in the oppositions face and that wasn’t it in my view. As a coach I have never liked it from my teams in that scenario.

We were about 20 goals up when it occurred and I agree it's not necessarily the right time to do it.
I never liked GWS because they weren't gracious winners and let opponents know all about it when they had the game won.

ratsmac
07-04-2021, 09:11 AM

I can't agree with you dogtown. Bailey was flying the flag after Ziebell tried to bury Bruce's face in the dirt. Baz was letting Ziebell know that Bruce is about to kick his 10th goal from a contested mark he took over him. I love it and I want to see more flying the flag so long as it doesn't impact our form, e.g GWS

merantau
07-04-2021, 09:23 AM
D. Brereton? Is he the grub that stomped on Rayden Tallis' head in a practice match and got 7 weeks? And also broke Tony Free's jaw for another 7? Just asking for a friend! Really, him giving advice on how to behave on the field is the mother of all "getting on your high horses's".

comrade
07-04-2021, 09:27 AM
I can't agree with you dogtown. Bailey was flying the flag after Ziebell tried to bury Bruce's face in the dirt. Baz was letting Ziebell know that Bruce is about to kick his 10th goal from a contested mark he took over him. I love it and I want to see more flying the flag so long as it doesn't impact our form, e.g GWS

Yep, exactly. He wasn’t niggling Ziebell for fun, he took umbrage at the fake tough guy antics and rightfully so.

dog town
07-04-2021, 09:54 AM
I can't agree with you dogtown. Bailey was flying the flag after Ziebell tried to bury Bruce's face in the dirt. Baz was letting Ziebell know that Bruce is about to kick his 10th goal from a contested mark he took over him. I love it and I want to see more flying the flag so long as it doesn't impact our form, e.g GWS Must admit I hadn’t seen the earlier incident. Not the first time for Bailey though so maybe I am a bit sceptical on that one. Happy to give him the benefit of the doubt it just seems a bit pointless for me and can only come back to bite you later on.

Vred
07-04-2021, 10:02 AM
Must admit I hadn’t seen the earlier incident. Not the first time for Bailey though so maybe I am a bit sceptical on that one. Happy to give him the benefit of the doubt it just seems a bit pointless for me and can only come back to bite you later on.

I was sitting right above where that tackle happened on Bruce, me and my partner were 100% sure he wasn't going to get up due to how he landed, head first into the dirt. I'm really, really surprised he wasn't pulled off for concussion test.

Either way, Ziebell deserved it.

comrade
07-04-2021, 10:17 AM
Must admit I hadn’t seen the earlier incident. Not the first time for Bailey though so maybe I am a bit sceptical on that one. Happy to give him the benefit of the doubt it just seems a bit pointless for me and can only come back to bite you later on.

I reckon his teammates would love it and only increases the bond with each other.

westbulldog
07-04-2021, 10:20 AM
Hawthorn website December 11 2017 - Brereton - has missed more games through suspension than any of his fellow clubmen.... sat out a total of 23 games after receiving 14 separate charges during his ... Brereton added another 16 games to that tally in the final two years of his career – 14 weeks from two separate incidents in his lone year at the Swans, and two weeks from a single incident at Collingwood. ( I appropriately removed the words "decorated career")
AFL News 27th May 2013 - Ziebell - three-match suspension after being cited by the Match Review Panel for a high bump on Adelaide's Jarryd Lyons. Because he has been suspended for seven matches within the past two years, Ziebell copped a 50 per cent loading.

Brereton has a sharply failing media career and is looking for publicity.

Ziebell is a failing footballer in a team that are currently not deserving being in the AFL at all.

Brereton's comments are simply a non-event, as he is.

Grantysghost
07-04-2021, 10:22 AM
I was sitting right above where that tackle happened on Bruce, me and my partner were 100% sure he wasn't going to get up due to how he landed, head first into the dirt. I'm really, really surprised he wasn't pulled off for concussion test.

Either way, Ziebell deserved it.

I was right there too in lvl 1 and I turned to the person I was with and said he's gone.
It was intended to injure. We've been copping it for years, think way back to Grant Thomas and the Aints taking us for mugs all those years.
Good teams play with an edge.
I'm ok with it as long as it doesn't get over the top and we stay focussed on the match.
Bailey gets excited :cool:

Topdog
07-04-2021, 10:22 AM
The West Coast one was brilliant. Havent got up to the 4th qtr yet but if it was literally just lip service to Ziebell than I'm sure I won't mind it.

We need more personalities in the game.

soupman
07-04-2021, 10:25 AM
Just thought since Dermott is going all "Won't somebody think of the children" I should check back what his history on Toby Greene is like.

I've only bothered to go back to 2017 using the search terms "Dermott Brereton Toby Greene".

After Toby Greene got done for two weeks for jumper punching Alex Rance Dermott said in this article (https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/afl/toby-greene-is-no-grub-despite-his-latest-suspension-according-to-dermott-brereton/news-story/5e2a4eea3ed28a04c05c288dcfe39f64) that:

“He’s not a dirty player. A dirty player is someone who is able to do those nasty little acts in play, while the ball is live, and do it snidely,” Brereton told The Daily Telegraph. (Which is a very weird definition of a dirty player btw and also exactly fits all of Toby's later incidents)

and

“It just shows to me that he hates even losing at any individual contest. It shows a competitiveness in him that is a rare, rare thing and the do-gooders of the world will turn around and judge him in a dim light.

“I don’t see a great deal of difference between him and Glenn Archer when he first started to play.
So no proper condemning his behaviour, just that he thinks Toby will need to grow out of it at some stage. And he's right, those damn do gooders have always turned around and judged innocently competitive guys like Toby in a dim light. Can't they see that he just hates losing?

Regardless, maybe Dermott will show a different vantage point in this article (https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-360-hawthorn-champion-jason-dunstall-and-dermott-brereton-disagree-over-toby-greene-incident/news-story/479c1658adc3765851ccde5a4eba1b0f) after a certain Luke D...no that's too obvious...L Dahlhaus got kicked in the face, and then a few weeks later a bunch of Swans kept running into Toby's boots for like no reason.

But Dunstall believed it was time for Greene to “put the Kung fu kick away” due to how dangerous it is.

However - his former Hawks teammate was strong on the belief that if you have the ability to get to the position of the ball drop, you should be able to do whatever you want.

Jason Dunstall: You’ve got to put the Kung fu kick away.

Dermott Brereton: If the drop of the ball is here and you stay here, you can put your foot out to stop somebody coming in. Yes you can.

Jason Dunstall: Nah it’s not in the spirit of the game.

Dermott Brereton: The umpires didn’t call it.

Jason Dunstall: They should have.

Dermott Brereton: Why? He’s marked the ball.

Ah I see, if the umpires don't call it it's all in the spirit of the game. I expect the umpiring department will be coming out any day now to declare Bailey's actions should have resulted in a free due to "failure to uphold the games spirit".

Oh well surely this article (https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2019-toby-greene-suspension-tribunal-appeals-board-dermott-brereton-gws-giants-collingwood-mcg/news-story/b1b089c724861bf8c390737ef08e84ae) published days after Greene got himself suspended for a Prelim for eye gouging in two finals in a row will clarify Dermotts position better.

You’ve got to understand the psyche of a player who plays on the edge, brutally and he’s a brilliant player.

“He will do everything he can to make the opposition at unease. And that’s part of it. He didn’t rake his eyes, didn’t pull his mouth, he didn’t strike him, he didn’t ram his head into the deck.”

He's right, Toby was just trying to put the opposition at unease. Sticking his fingers in key players eyes two weeks in a row is fine, just as long as he doesn't rake them in the process. Oh and the fact he didn't put his fingers in the players mouth and pull also demonstrates how he showed an appropriate duty of care. I wish Bailey restrained himself when he furiously stepped over Brad Sheppard.

Anyway just glad Dermott is holding Bailey to account for stepping over a player confidently and getting in the face of an absolute cheap shot merchant (who plays for a club that has repetitively gone the niggle at every opportunity including in the exact game he was referring to). Definitely can't see any inconsistency in Dermott's opinions, all I see is two players, one who just plays on the edge, hates losing and is continually judged in a dim light by a bunch of "do gooders" while performing in the umpire endorsed "spirit of the game", and another who solely punches down and loves to belittle "good citizens of our sport" despite having admitted to mental health issues that rule him ineligible for that kind of behaviour.

Grantysghost
07-04-2021, 10:29 AM
Actually just thinking this is a good thing. We want all the ex-Hawks people to come out and give it to Bailey.

Say bye bye to any future poaching efforts.

Happy Days
07-04-2021, 10:33 AM
So what I take from that is Bailey should do something *actually* thuggish and bullshit if he wants Dermott’s approval. Merely being antagonistic and a full on gun is just not on apparently.

Smith and Libba giving it to Ziebell and the rest of those losers trying to pull Essendon’s patented “lost the game so better start a fight” was awesome and should boost the confidence of everyone else out there with them. Sure it opens you up to looking stupid if you lose but why on earth should such a confident player or person ever plan for that?

merantau
07-04-2021, 10:39 AM
Just thought since Dermott is going all "Won't somebody think of the children" I should check back what his history on Toby Greene is like.

I've only bothered to go back to 2017 using the search terms "Dermott Brereton Toby Greene".

After Toby Greene got done for two weeks for jumper punching Alex Rance Dermott said in this article (https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/afl/toby-greene-is-no-grub-despite-his-latest-suspension-according-to-dermott-brereton/news-story/5e2a4eea3ed28a04c05c288dcfe39f64) that:

(Which is a very weird definition of a dirty player btw and also exactly fits all of Toby's later incidents)

and

So no proper condemning his behaviour, just that he thinks Toby will need to grow out of it at some stage. And he's right, those damn do gooders have always turned around and judged innocently competitive guys like Toby in a dim light. Can't they see that he just hates losing?

Regardless, maybe Dermott will show a different vantage point in this article (https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-360-hawthorn-champion-jason-dunstall-and-dermott-brereton-disagree-over-toby-greene-incident/news-story/479c1658adc3765851ccde5a4eba1b0f) after a certain Luke D...no that's too obvious...L Dahlhaus got kicked in the face, and then a few weeks later a bunch of Swans kept running into Toby's boots for like no reason.

Ah I see, if the umpires don't call it it's all in the spirit of the game. I expect the umpiring department will be coming out any day now to declare Bailey's actions should have resulted in a free due to "failure to uphold the games spirit".

Oh well surely this article (https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2019-toby-greene-suspension-tribunal-appeals-board-dermott-brereton-gws-giants-collingwood-mcg/news-story/b1b089c724861bf8c390737ef08e84ae) published days after Greene got himself suspended for a Prelim for eye gouging in two finals in a row will clarify Dermotts position better.

He's right, Toby was just trying to put the opposition at unease. Sticking his fingers in key players eyes two weeks in a row is fine, just as long as he doesn't rake them in the process. Oh and the fact he didn't put his fingers in the players mouth and pull also demonstrates how he showed an appropriate duty of care. I wish Bailey restrained himself when he furiously stepped over Brad Sheppard.

Anyway just glad Dermott is holding Bailey to account for stepping over a player confidently and getting in the face of an absolute cheap shot merchant (who plays for a club that has repetitively gone the niggle at every opportunity including in the exact game he was referring to). Definitely can't see any inconsistency in Dermott's opinions, all I see is two players, one who just plays on the edge, hates losing and is continually judged in a dim light by a bunch of "do gooders" while performing in the umpire endorsed "spirit of the game", and another who solely punches down and loves to belittle "good citizens of our sport" despite having admitted to mental health issues that rule him ineligible for that kind of behaviour.

Excellent forensics, analysis and conclusion.

comrade
07-04-2021, 10:39 AM
Excellent forensics, analysis and conclusion.

CSI Footscray

bornadog
07-04-2021, 10:40 AM
I love Bailey Smith, I like the way he plays and the way he give a bit of lip. Don’t change Bazelenka

bulldogsthru&thru
07-04-2021, 10:45 AM
So kissing an opponent on the cheek after a goal is in the spirit of the game? Dermott you couldn’t look or sound like any more of an idiot but here we are.

hujsh
07-04-2021, 10:45 AM
I'm not too fussed.

I also doubt anybody aside from Dermott cares. If anything him drawing attention to it is likely to win Bailey some more fans.

You might be surprised. Strong consensus on the AFL reddit that he was being a dickhead. Without the broader context I might agree with them but having watched the game I can't

bulldogsthru&thru
07-04-2021, 10:50 AM
You might be surprised. Strong consensus on the AFL reddit that he was being a dickhead. Without the broader context I might agree with them but having watched the game I can't

The ones who think this are falling into the Dermy trap. They think Bailey did it out of nothing. Just being arrogant. And looking at the footage on face value I can see how one might think this. Bailey went up to Ziebell after the mark and it looked like Ziebell did nothing to warrant the attention. But there’s more to it as has been alluded to on here. Me nice guy Ziebell is not the solid citizen he would have us all believe. Just like Dermie. There’s also a bit of insecurity amongst the ranks with the lowly bulldogs up and about I imagine. How dare the bulldogs think they can intimidate.

Happy Days
07-04-2021, 11:06 AM

Hell yeah he was. It ruled.

The Pie Man
07-04-2021, 11:21 AM
That Dermott Brereton? The Dermott that told Vandenberg to make sure Mark Johnson wasn’t able to walk out of here today due to a sling tackle he laid on Robert Campbell, sparking one of the uglier incidents in modern football?

Spare me

Plus, as has been pointed out a few times quite well in this thread already, mental health off field & on field conduct are completely seperate. No mercy during play has been asked for, and none given.

Embarrassing really

EasternWest
07-04-2021, 11:34 AM
Weird this is even a conversation.

Try to hurt our players when you're getting smashed, damn right you need someone to enforce the fact you're a bit of a tool.

The fact that it's one of our best players is even better. He wins the mind game and he wins the actual game.

I generally don't have a real opinion on Ziebell one way or the other - he's like North the club, vanilla and forgettable - but I'm happy that we can be 100 points up and our guys will still fight for their mates.

Rocket Science
07-04-2021, 12:00 PM
The insidious thing at the core of Brereton's idiocy is you'd suspect he'd have little issue with Baz being lippy if he hadn't been open about his personal struggles, which apparently forfeits his right to play the way he does.

Brereton's not really decrying being mouthy or hyper-competitive, he's low-key sniping a young player for expressing vulnerability because it's at odds with Derm's toxic, f***ked up hard-man 'code'.

The world's moved on Derm, go start a podcast you tedious relic.

BornInDroopSt'54
07-04-2021, 12:28 PM
Yeh go Bailey.
Media Dermie doing what Dermie does stir.
Hypocrite and arrogant and could play.
Ziebell assaulted Cloke and made a career crashing violently into unprotected opponents whilst they mark.
A thug probably encouraged by Scott.

Grantysghost
07-04-2021, 12:38 PM
The insidious thing at the core of Brereton's idiocy is you'd suspect he'd have little issue with Baz being lippy if he hadn't been open about his personal struggles, which apparently forfeits his right to play the way he does.

Brereton's not really decrying being mouthy or hyper-competitive, he's low-key sniping a young player for expressing vulnerability because it's at odds with Derm's toxic, f***ked up hard-man 'code'.

Nailed it RS.

He has referenced Bailey's openness with his mental health issues because it clearly diminishes him in Dermott's eyes, and means he can't possibly act in a way that doesn't conform with the stigma that he's applied to him for showing vulnerability as a "man".

Just an average human.

I'd be happy for the club to maybe ask for a please explain regarding this part of his comments.

comrade
07-04-2021, 12:42 PM

Good call.