PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the Bulldogs: Bailey Smith

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

mjp
21-12-2022, 12:36 PM
My kids love the ad

Yeah - I think it's a great ad.

Roadtrip rule#38...it's funny, it'll stick in peoples consciousness (Driver chooses the playlist etc), it's awesome.

Of course it's cringey...it's a Macca's commercial...but this ad is the sort of thing that is good for the footy club...

Whatever we are paying Smith, it isn't enough. He is a genuine Natanui rule player - he brings supporters to the club through his hair, his image, his everything...We have money in the cap - we should give it to him!!

1eyedog
21-12-2022, 12:55 PM
Yeah - I think it's a great ad.

Roadtrip rule#38...it's funny, it'll stick in peoples consciousness (Driver chooses the playlist etc), it's awesome.

Of course it's cringey...it's a Macca's commercial...but this ad is the sort of thing that is good for the footy club...

Whatever we are paying Smith, it isn't enough. He is a genuine Natanui rule player - he brings supporters to the club through his hair, his image, his everything...We have money in the cap - we should give it to him!!

100% agree with this can play a bit too.

MrMahatma
21-12-2022, 01:17 PM
I mean, can I say that I think Petracca is a better actor than Baz? Is that OK?

Mofra
21-12-2022, 01:31 PM
100% agree with this can play a bit too.
His TOG numbers are through the roof for role he plays

I suspect Bont, he and Naughts are the highest paid players at the club

bornadog
21-12-2022, 01:58 PM
His TOG numbers are through the roof for role he plays

I suspect Bont, he and Naughts are the highest paid players at the club

Technically Treloar on $900k is up there

Grantysghost
23-01-2023, 04:57 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/7Zbmtqpj/Screenshot-20230123-165528.png (https://postimg.cc/v4Frcw8v)

Mofra
25-01-2023, 02:27 PM
Technically Treloar on $900k is up thereI guess I meant the players we're paying.

Thanks again for that $300k Collingwood!

Hotdog60
20-05-2023, 10:44 AM
'I'm in a good space now': Gun Dog on life in the spotlight, art and flag dreams

Western Bulldogs star Bailey Smith chats to Cal Twomey about how he's finding balance in his life, leadership aspirations and how he spends his time away from footy

https://resources.afl.com.au/photo-resources/2023/05/19/dee1d73f-5f05-4649-b7f4-7ed98fbe7167/1905_cals_qanda_bailey_smith?width=952&height=592

BAILEY Smith quickly became one of footy's most recognisable faces at the start of his career as a young star on the rise for the Western Bulldogs.

Now into the fifth year of his career, the gun midfielder joins Cal Twomey for this week's Q&A about the Dogs' hot form, how he has matured, last year's 'wake-up call' when suspended by the AFL, his views on celebrity culture and the media, his leadership ambitions and why he's already thinking about how he'll be remembered.

Let's start with one you've never been asked in an interview: did you know Patrick Cripps pulled your hair last week?

That's a good question. We laughed about it during the game because I put a bit of mayo on it to see if I could milk a free kick. It was a bit of fun and games. It's happened a few times at training over the years but never in a game so it was quite funny.

https://resources.afl.com.au/photo-resources/2023/05/14/c7ecd17e-1f7a-4e8c-87e0-2f1d46a86d65/vHkUYwQc.jpg?width=708&height=1062

Thirty disposals, a career-high 10 clearances and the match-sealing goal for you against Carlton. How did you set yourself for the task against Cripps?

I wanted to take my opportunity in getting more time playing the inside midfield [role] and really stamp my authority on the game and doing it in ways where I might not have a stat or two but I've helped the team. It was one of those games where I got to really show my inside capabilities. I've been an uncontested sort of player so I wanted to explore that other side of my game and to show that I'm not just all outside. That's my goal ultimately ? to be a great inside and outside player for whatever the situation or stoppage needs at that time.

The Dogs have won four in a row and six of your last seven games and on Saturday face Adelaide in Ballarat. Is everything clicking at the moment?

We're in a really good space. We've got some momentum but there's that challenge of trying to maintain it and show up each week. It's certainly a focus of ours coming into Adelaide. They got us there last year and are a great side. We're trying to cement that momentum and become a formidable side and climb our way up the ladder. We want to be one of the best sides week in, week out and not just for periods of the season. Ballarat is a great place to play for us and is harder for opposition sides from interstate to go down to, but they've done it before so we've got to make it a bit more of a fortress.

This week will be game No.92 for you. Does that feel like it has flown by?

Yeah, but not crazily. I feel like I should be further than that because my body has pulled up recently. The first three years I had a good run and then last year missed games through my body and suspension. Even this year my body has had a few niggles here and there. It's been quick when you look at it but I'm always chasing more so I feel like I should be further ahead of where I am now.

https://resources.afl.com.au/photo-resources/2023/05/19/df420265-2ce7-44a1-bc82-72df5757bf9a/Bailey-Smith-poses-at-Whitten-Oval-after-being-drafted-by-the-Western-Bulldogs-in-November-2018.jpg?width=1064&height=600

Evaluating your own career must be an evolving process. How have you looked to grow your game?

It's about building that more outward look to my teammates and not just focusing on my own game. The more you play the more doing the right things becomes second nature so I've tried to help the younger boys and their journeys. That's made me more invested to come in each day to help the new draftees doing touch or taking them for edits downstairs. That's made me more invested day to day. I sat on the bench and helped out when I was injured down at Port Melbourne and that stuff I probably wouldn't have considered in my first few years because you're so stressed about getting a game. I've been able to spread my wings, help others and I want to lead by example to help create our culture as well. We always strive for more and I want to be a pioneer in that.

Nearly 12 months ago you were enjoying a great patch of form before the suspension from the AFL for conduct unbecoming when the photos emerged. How did you take stock during that period?

It was certainly tough. But that's life. Shit happens and you learn from it. It's made me grow as a person and my resilience from that is so much stronger with my support network. It was a bit of a wake-up call to showcase more of the side of me that I didn't show in my first couple of years because I was so insular and focused on improving as a player. I was a leader in under-18s and captain at Sandringham and my school team and that got lost, so it was about drawing back to that and getting back to the person I wanted to be and to impact the group really positively through my work ethic and especially off-field. It was certainly a great wake-up call and has put me in good stead now.

https://resources.afl.com.au/photo-resources/2022/06/03/7378bd53-afe7-4aa1-ad27-79054efd6e71/vLWNQY79.jpg?width=708&height=1062

At the time how difficult was that glare and spotlight?

That's tough but I always just put it into perspective. I have the opportunity to play the game I love and each day I get to exercise which is something I love as well. When you strip it back to how privileged you are, the hard things and shit that happens seems quite small. I don't ignore the spotlight, you just accept it and understand that it's there and it can't all be sunshine and rainbows. You get to do what you love and nearly not work a day in your life so if there's shit that comes along with that then you have to accept it.

You talk about being a little bit lost from where you had been. Can you describe the space you feel in now?

It's so different, even within the four walls here at the club to not be so insular. Maturing has been a big thing in wanting to help my teammates and explore that space rather than always constantly work on my own game because you can do both at the same time. It's been doing that and also being so much more productive on my days off. Me and my manager Robbie D'Orazio have been doing tons of stuff that is coming out later in the year and I've been going to Cotton On a fair bit working under some people there which has been so exciting. To lean on some of the people there like Ash Hardwick has been huge for me and it's different to the footy world. I'm spreading my wings in lots of different areas and growing as a person and because I'm in a better space I have the appetite for that. I don't want to just sit in bed all day on my day off and lounge around. I want to go out and be busy.

Did you find yourself stuck in that 'lounge-around' phase?

Oh, definitely. In my first few years I'd do nothing on my days off. I'd not leave the house. I was a bit lost and footy was everything, which is a good thing and it has to be for the first couple of years because you want to cement yourself as a good player and try to improve as much as you can. But it's that element of maturity and understanding that you can do both: work on your game but broaden your horizons to different opportunities.

There's a lot of flashpoints in your career. I'd say the first was at Frankston Oval early in your draft year when it was teeming down with rain and you had 44 disposals. After that you were locked as a top-10 pick. Did you recognise it at the time?

I always looked ahead in terms of my goal to get drafted and I had the belief I was good enough, but I never thought I'd be a top-10 pick. I was inducted into the AFL Academy in the second intake so I always had a chip on my shoulder that I didn't belong. I was looking at 'Walshy' (Sam Walsh) as the benchmark, then (Jack) Lukosius and Max and Ben (King) and Connor Rozee from under-16s level and thought I was a bit off them. That drove me to train harder and try to make more improvements in my game and dig a bit deeper. It was more after the Vic Metro carnival that I felt like I belonged.

https://resources.afl.com.au/photo-resources/2023/05/19/902830e6-f843-4e21-9fd0-5c62d63bc244/Bailey-Smith-kicks-the-ball-during-the-U18-AFL-Championship-match-between-Vic-Metro-and-South-Australia-at-Marvel-Stadium-on-July-4-2018.JPG?width=1064&height=600

I remember you being quiet but forging your way in America when we went there in 2018 with that AFL Academy camp. Do you still stay across how that draft group fares?

I love seeing how we're all going. Zak Butters is having a great year, Walshy is a star in his own right and it was good to play with him and chat to him on the weekend. I just love how competitive but talented our draft group was because it makes you want to reach new heights and another level. You always keep in touch with how the general competition is going but also your draft crop a bit too because it pushes you to be better and you appreciate the good things they do.

2021 was your big coming of age season, which exploded in the finals. Take me to the ice in the veins moment.

The finals was a very fun period. It's a bit of a blur and there was some adversity with the COVID restrictions but looking back it was one of the most fun journeys I'll experience with the side we had. Those finals against Brisbane and Port Adelaide were a bit of a blur. It was crazy. I didn't pay attention to it blowing up in the media with our finals run and then a bit of my own form because we were out of the Melbourne bubble and tucked away which was good in a sense because you didn't feel the pressure or expectation. Against the Dees you always look back on the Grand Final and kick yourself and think 'Could I have done more?' but it's something for this group to leverage off and it has helped us mature and understand what it takes to go all the way, as much as it hurts.

The Dogs got three goals up in the Grand Final in that famous third quarter. Did you let yourself think 'I could win a flag here'?

Not really. I was always focused on trying to stem their flow and stop what they wanted to do but it got to a point where it was quite overwhelming. Not everything was going their way but they worked so well together their midfield group, especially from centre bounce, and they piled on the goals really quickly. It was later in the game where we were like 'Far out, that's a bit out of reach'. We're constantly trying to chase that.

Your fame rose steeply then too. What's your view of celebrity culture in sport now you've experienced it?

It's quite humbling at first but then it becomes relatively toxic and ego driven. It plays with your head a little bit at times and if you say it doesn't you can be lying, but for me it doesn't now which is great. It's part of growing up and learning. At first it's quite flattering and you appreciate it and then it depends where you go from there. Do you take it and let your head get massive and think you rule the world? I probably did for a little bit and ultimately spiralled out of control to now where it's like you take it in your stride but also don't put any weight into it. I've just stripped it back to the things I love doing which is training every day, my teammates, my family, my girlfriend, my friends.

Hotdog60
20-05-2023, 10:45 AM
Have you taken back some of your personal life to make it more personal to you?

I barely go out now. There was a period there where I'd go flat out and just love doing that with my mates. But it's understanding that when you see your mates it doesn't have to be on the piss or going out all the time. That's something that I've changed and shifted my mindset to getting a coffee with them. It was very foreign at first because with my mates growing up it was around drinking and going out, which I think it is a lot in the Australian culture. So it was changing that routine. I've changed that for a more healthy environment. It's uncomfortable at first because I feel like it's not something us as men have always done and I think we've got a lot of room to grow in that space in catching up as mates and having a chat rather than being on the punt or drinking. It's finding a way to do that that's been my goal and it's been good. Routine is really massive for me in terms of keeping my emotions and my moods stable. Getting up at the same time every day and feeling a bit of purpose in my day instead of just drifting and going through the motions which I was for a bit there. I'm in a good space now.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FwYjeBkacAADcbY?format=jpg&name=small

Another thing that you've put some time into is your art, which has always been an interest for you. Who's your favourite artist?

I like Vincent Van Gogh. Conor McGregor has a quote about him and how he lost his mind in the process of chasing perfection in his art so I appreciate that – having a love for someone's craft, whatever it is.

We've done a sit-down interview every year of your career going back to our first chat in 2018, but you don't do much of it. What's your view of the media?

I think it's a necessity and is ingrained in sport and footy and is needed, because they do a lot of great stuff. Being on the receiving end of bad stuff, it's hard to be as empathetic to want to do interviews and you get the view they're after you which is annoying because I know a lot of them aren't and they're great people. It's finding the balance between doing stuff with people I trust like you and developing more of a relationship like we have. I think media is not as relationship-based as I'd like it and it can be them trying to get something off you. It's an interesting one. It's hard as a player and any sportsperson to try and have a great relationship with the media and love it and want to do it but it's about having those relationships and if you create a good relationship with a reporter then you do it happily. It doesn't feel like what we're doing now is a chore when we're just having a chat. It can be hard to change your mindset and I have been working on it and now I'm a lot more open to it. It's about creating relationships so it's a good environment.

LINK (https://www.afl.com.au/news/928023/-i-m-in-a-good-space-now-gun-dog-on-life-in-the-spotlight-art-and-flag-dreams)

azabob
20-05-2023, 11:34 AM
I read this article over coffee this morning.

A really good read - Great to hear Bailey talk about his inside/outside game and how can he help his teammates rather than have an internal focus.

azabob
19-06-2023, 02:20 PM
Interestingly Bailey Smith was doing run throughs after the game on Sunday.

Does anyone know how many KMs he covered during the game.

Grantysghost
19-06-2023, 02:29 PM
Interestingly Bailey Smith was doing run throughs after the game on Sunday.

Does anyone know how many KMs he covered during the game.

No can't see it, they only show the top 6 or so.

Keath was the highest ks for us 14.2

Daniel was 13.8
Bont 13.7

bornadog
19-06-2023, 02:36 PM
No can't see it, they only show the top 6 or so.

Keath was the highest ks for us 14.2

Daniel was 13.8
Bont 13.7

His metres gained were -22 - very strange

Grantysghost
19-06-2023, 02:47 PM
His metres gained were -22 - very strange

Yes odd.

bulldogtragic
19-06-2023, 02:49 PM
Yes odd.

Lucky he’s a bigger name player or the forum would be all over a player going -22 metres.

EasternWest
19-06-2023, 03:00 PM
Lucky he’s a bigger name player or the forum would be all over a player going -22 metres.

Trade.

Ozza
19-06-2023, 03:03 PM

Perhaps its more to do with all the shuffling that happened in the team for the day - where Smith found himself on a wing but working back into defence pretty hard. Nature of his possessions saw him get a lot of ground balls and dish handballs out to a kicker. He only attended 2 centre bounces for the day.

AshMac
19-06-2023, 04:35 PM
Trade.

Truth is he has reached his ceiling. As a kid he was too intense with training and didn?t have the same trajectory for growth as others have when entering the AFL.

Hawks for their first pick and I?m sold. They are desperate to get into the teenage girl and middle aged housewife markets

lemmon
19-06-2023, 04:59 PM
Truth is he has reached his ceiling. As a kid he was too intense with training and didn?t have the same trajectory for growth as others have when entering the AFL.

Hawks for their first pick and I?m sold. They are desperate to get into the teenage girl and middle aged housewife markets

I think we're forgetting how good Bailey was when Treloar went out of the side - he was huge against Adelaide and the Blues, where he attended 87% and 75% of centre bounces respectively. On the weekend, it was 6%.

I think Bailey is clearly an inside mid who is the 'next best' on our list for one of those spots, after our starting options. When he gets in there, he's been bloody good. When he can't get in there, he's a fairly inconsistent outside mid/half forward whose kicking lets him down way too often.

I still think he'll be an outstanding player. We wouldn't have made the 2021 Grand Final without his finals series and the idea of trading out our sole promising mid who's younger than 25 makes me shudder.

He needs to bide his time, clean up his kicking and decision making and I think when he does get a starting inside-mid spot, we'll see an improvement similiar to what we've seen with Treloar this season.

jeemak
19-06-2023, 05:00 PM

I don't think we trade someone as good as Baz even if he doesn't have huge upside from this point. We need more players of his quality in his age bracket, not less and if he keeps tracking the way he is then I'll be happy with a pick seven from who we get a couple hundred games.

Sedat
19-06-2023, 05:09 PM
I don't think we trade someone as good as Baz even if he doesn't have huge upside from this point. We need more players of his quality in his age bracket, not less and if he keeps tracking the way he is then I'll be happy with a pick seven from who we get a couple hundred games.
We're thin in midfield stocks as it is and Smith runs all day and has elite traits at AFL level (if some flaws as well). He's proven himself in the heat of September and should be an integral part of our team for many years to come.

EasternWest
19-06-2023, 05:12 PM
I think we're forgetting how good Bailey was when Treloar went out of the side - he was huge against Adelaide and the Blues, where he attended 87% and 75% of centre bounces respectively. On the weekend, it was 6%.

I think Bailey is clearly an inside mid who is the 'next best' on our list for one of those spots, after our starting options. When he gets in there, he's been bloody good. When he can't get in there, he's a fairly inconsistent outside mid/half forward whose kicking lets him down way too often.

I still think he'll be an outstanding player. We wouldn't have made the 2021 Grand Final without his finals series and the idea of trading out our sole promising mid who's younger than 25 makes me shudder.

He needs to bide his time, clean up his kicking and decision making and I think when he does get a starting inside-mid spot, we'll see an improvement similiar to what we've seen with Treloar this season.

I'm really 80% joking about it (the remaining 20% is always open to great offer), but I'm getting a bit tired of hearing things like "when he cleans up his kicking" (not having a go at you for it, just seems a recurrent vibe). When is that going to be?

jeemak
19-06-2023, 05:13 PM
We're thin in midfield stocks as it is and Smith runs all day and has elite traits at AFL level (if some flaws as well). He's proven himself in the heat of September and should be an integral part of our team for many years to come.

Agreed. And the fact we have both him and Jacko ready to step in and cover for others presently playing more prominent roles is actually a good thing.

jeemak
19-06-2023, 05:19 PM
I'm really 80% joking about it (the remaining 20% is always open to great offer), but I'm getting a bit tired of hearing things like "when he cleans up his kicking" (not having a go at you for it, just seems a recurrent vibe). When is that going to be?

He's letting himself down this year. A quick look at disposal vs. his most similar player in our set up Adam Treloar. This year he's going at 66.8% and Treloar 71.4%. Career wise they're at 70% and 70.4% respectively.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=8&playerStatus2=A&tid2=8&type=A&pid1=6618&pid2=3791&fid1=S&fid2=S

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=8&playerStatus2=A&tid2=8&type=A&pid1=6618&pid2=3791&fid1=C&fid2=C

Like most things with most of our players I think his shortfalls are between the ears. He has demonstrated an ability to use the football more efficiently, he just needs to get his shit together.

lemmon
19-06-2023, 05:23 PM

You're right - maybe he never does and it's something that's always a slight on his game.

I agree with Sedat though that a lot of other areas in his game are elite and I think his best his All Australian standard, despite his inconsistent disposal. He has terrific speed and running capacity, he's good inside the contest, accumulates well on the outside, is a good mark for his size and we've seen that he rises to huge occasions. We just don't see Bailey put it together for enough weeks on the bounce - I think that's a mixture of maturity and opportunity.

Ozza
19-06-2023, 06:43 PM

That's a pretty poor comment IMO.

Ozza
19-06-2023, 07:10 PM

Good post.
He's a 22 year old with still plenty of upside as all 22 year olds do. He's done an extraordinary job to get to 96 games so quickly and cope with all that the game throws at the players (and some more than that in his case).

He had a game where he dominated a brownlow medalist, had 30 possessions, a goal and 10 clearances. It was 5 weeks ago. Then had 37 the very next week. We're lucky to have him.

azabob
20-06-2023, 02:20 AM

Come on EW; if we use that logic we need to trade out English, Naughton and Bontempelli as they all have flaws in their game also.

It’s a moot point as he will sign with the swans as a free agent soon enough.

EasternWest
20-06-2023, 04:22 AM
Come on EW; if we use that logic we need to trade out English, Naughton and Bontempelli as they all have flaws in their game also.

It’s a moot point as he will sign with the swans as a free agent soon enough.

I've said previously only Bont and Naughton are untradeable in my opinion.

azabob
20-06-2023, 05:52 AM

I support this statement.

D Mitchell
20-06-2023, 06:42 AM
T.....

Where's that from ? teenage girl and middle aged housewife ?

bulldogtragic
20-06-2023, 07:08 AM

Only Bont & Marra for me. Hopefully Darcy soon though, Weightman almost too.

Everyone else has a price. Especially Naughton & Smith, if high enough trade value.

Mantis
20-06-2023, 07:47 AM
He's letting himself down this year. A quick look at disposal vs. his most similar player in our set up Adam Treloar. This year he's going at 66.8% and Treloar 71.4%. Career wise they're at 70% and 70.4% respectively.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=8&playerStatus2=A&tid2=8&type=A&pid1=6618&pid2=3791&fid1=S&fid2=S

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=8&playerStatus2=A&tid2=8&type=A&pid1=6618&pid2=3791&fid1=C&fid2=C

Like most things with most of our players I think his shortfalls are between the ears. He has demonstrated an ability to use the football more efficiently, he just needs to get his shit together.

I'm a bit wary on disposal efficiency based on how it's tracked... a long kick which doesn't result in a direct turnover is seen as being effective, and Bailey does lots of these, but I guess it's countered by Adam's ''hack'' kicks from congestion.

Would be more interested in seeing retention rate which we know is poor from Bailey when he kicks inside 50.

1eyedog
20-06-2023, 10:22 AM

Bont can't kick at goal, Treloar is physically fragile, Macrae is slow, Smith is hit and miss over 20m everyone has a fallibility.

Baz really should be playing in the midfield though. He'd be looking around the league at a number of 22 year old players playing decent midfield minutes.

EasternWest
20-06-2023, 11:33 AM
Bont can't kick at goal, Treloar is physically fragile, Macrae is slow, Smith is hit and miss over 20m everyone has a fallibility.

Baz really should be playing in the midfield though. He'd be looking around the league at a number of 22 year old players playing decent midfield minutes.

Agree with all of this and don't have any real counterpoints except that of all those frustrations nothing pushes me over the edge more than Baz just bombing it forward without any care time and time again.

Sedat
20-06-2023, 11:38 AM
Agree with all of this and don't have any real counterpoints except that of all those frustrations nothing pushes me over the edge more than Baz just bombing it forward without any care time and time again.
He would have been amazing in the 1978 GF with his long bombs to Snake and his mullet.

mjp
20-06-2023, 11:50 AM
Bailey Smith's awesome.

How is this even a topic of conversation. 22 year old with high marketing appeal and massive work-rate? Yeah, let's use him to roll the dice with some kid who may or may not end up being useful?

He won us a final in Brisbane for goodness sake.

Thread #1: We have no young mids coming through 'cos we drafted nothing but talls for 3 years.
Thread #2: Oh yeah, that young mid we do have coming through...let's trade him.

hujsh
20-06-2023, 12:03 PM
Bailey Smith's awesome.

How is this even a topic of conversation. 22 year old with high marketing appeal and massive work-rate? Yeah, let's use him to roll the dice with some kid who may or may not end up being useful?

Thread #1: We have no young mids coming through 'cos we drafted nothing but talls for 3 years.

Not his best game on the weekend but he's a good player and REALLY good when he can play his best role. Anyone remember him towling up Cripps? The same Cripps that regularly beats us up himself? It stuck with me personally.

EasternWest
20-06-2023, 12:18 PM
Bailey Smith's awesome.

Shrug. I'd trade *you* or anyone on this forum if I thought we could improve our side.

Grantysghost
20-06-2023, 12:50 PM
Shrug. I'd trade *you* or anyone on this forum if I thought we could improve our side.

https://i.postimg.cc/g2ccKrTD/Screenshot-20230620-125219.png (https://postimg.cc/HVKCYWHc)

Grantysghost
20-06-2023, 01:19 PM
Bailey Smith's awesome.

Only issue now is how to best utilise him.

Treloar inside we seem to not be able to lever his best attributes as hhf.

Wouldn't trade unless was godfather offer.

mjp
20-06-2023, 01:39 PM

Cool. So who are we trading him FOR?

More draft picks? Such an awesome plan.

Topdog
20-06-2023, 01:47 PM
Baz is fantastic, gets moved around often and usually responds with a good game.

Insanity to think people believe a 22 year old has reached their ceiling.

EasternWest
20-06-2023, 01:48 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/g2ccKrTD/Screenshot-20230620-125219.png (https://postimg.cc/HVKCYWHc)

No comment.

Lighten up Francis. It's ok to have your opinion challenged and not get all snarky. Like I'm not with you.

But to answer your question, of course the payoff has to be worth it. Your sarcastic reply put words into my mouth that I never said.

bornadog
20-06-2023, 01:48 PM

No way you trade out a 22 year old mid with his ability

Grantysghost
20-06-2023, 01:51 PM
No comment.

Lighten up Francis. It's ok to have your opinion challenged and not get all snarky. Like I'm not with you.

But to answer your question, of course the payoff has to be worth it. Your sarcastic reply put words into my mouth that I never said.

It's a debate generator. I like it.

Snarky... Not so much.

bulldogtragic
20-06-2023, 01:54 PM
I’m with Dennis Pagan, every player has a price, even Carey at his peak (5 x top 10 picks it was). Smith ain’t sacred. I’m not shopping him, but if a great offer came up I’d heavily consider it. I’d happily discuss it (if he wanted to leave and we wanted that too) amongst likeminded folks on a bulldog discussion forum.

Ozza
20-06-2023, 02:24 PM

If we trade him, we might be able to get a high draft pick and draft a Bailey Smith type.

EasternWest
20-06-2023, 02:46 PM
If we trade him, we might be able to get a high draft pick and draft a Bailey Smith type.

One that can kick real good but, right?

Ozza
20-06-2023, 02:48 PM

Yeah, none of the draftees have any weaknesses. They all play like *insert superstar comparison here*.

Grantysghost
20-06-2023, 02:53 PM

Loving it.

If the right trade come along, let's say the Hawks at the end of the year went we will give you two first rounders you'd be insane not to entertain it.

GVGjr
20-06-2023, 03:01 PM
Bailey Smith's awesome.

Fully agree, I've always said that very few players aren't tradeable especially if another club was prepared to trade well overs but it would have to be a great offer before I'd part with Bailey Smith.

Our list profile would indicate that he is a vital part of our future plans and I'd say we should be looking to put at least a 4 year deal in front of him to keep him at the Kennel.

hujsh
20-06-2023, 03:06 PM
Loving it.

If the right trade come along, let's say the Hawks at the end of the year went we will give you two first rounders you'd be insane not to entertain it.

Even then it depend which ones.

5 & 7, yes. 15 & 17, no.

Grantysghost
20-06-2023, 03:16 PM
Even then it depend which ones.

5 & 7, yes. 15 & 17, no.

True oils ain't oils, and if we look at the Dunkley deal picks in the 20s aren't giving me first rounder feels.

5 and 15 yes I'd think about it.

EasternWest
20-06-2023, 03:29 PM
Yeah, none of the draftees have any weaknesses. They all play like *insert superstar comparison here*.

Ha ha.

hujsh
20-06-2023, 03:44 PM

It's weird we never get any future Judds anymore. Every 4th player was Judd-like and now they're all Dusty clones

Ozza
20-06-2023, 03:54 PM
It's weird we never get any future Judds anymore. Every 4th player was Judd-like and now they're all Dusty clones

Plays like Pendelbury, basketball background.

Topdog
20-06-2023, 04:07 PM
Team desperate for good 22-26 year olds looking to trade out arguably our best player in that age group for more 18 year olds.

EasternWest
20-06-2023, 05:02 PM
Plays like Pendelbury, basketball background.

Where did you hear that because I've never heard it.

EasternWest
20-06-2023, 05:03 PM
Team desperate for good 22-26 year olds looking to trade out arguably our best player in that age group for more 18 year olds.

Not for me. But what about Butters? Horne Francis? Rowell?

If nothing else it's turned into an interesting hypothetical question.

bulldogtragic
20-06-2023, 05:13 PM

In deed. A hypothetical trade doesn’t necessarily mean a 18yo kid.

bornadog
20-06-2023, 05:16 PM
In deed. A hypothetical trade doesn’t necessarily mean a 18yo kid.

Wasn't long ago there was a discussion on taking West Coasts pick 1 for Naughton. Unknown at AFL level v Star

The only reason you trade out a player is if they want to leave

1eyedog
20-06-2023, 05:21 PM

He's gone rogue.

bornadog
20-06-2023, 05:22 PM
He's gone rogue.

Blame it on the bye

bulldogtragic
20-06-2023, 05:31 PM
Wasn't long ago there was a discussion on taking West Coasts pick 1 for Naughton. Unknown at AFL level v Star

The only reason you trade out a player is if they want to leave

Well we can’t force them out, so I assume it’s implied they’re wanting to take a big money offer elsewhere and we are happy to not match the cash and are happy with the picks/what we can do with the picks.

My concerns on Naughton & Smith is what they will need to be paid to keep them is not equal to what their output will be in our team. That’s my big concern. Hence I’m not wanting them to go, but I’m happy to discuss the options if there’s anything that happened in this space.

1eyedog
20-06-2023, 05:33 PM
He would have been amazing in the 1978 GF with his long bombs to Snake and his mullet.

This is basically Spidey pointing at Spidey whenever Baz goes long on the run to Naughton in the goal square in 2023!

Cept L Jones is dead and so Naughton is playing back.

EasternWest
20-06-2023, 05:39 PM
He's gone rogue.

You're next :).

Blame it on the bye

See earlier no comment :).

Mantis
21-06-2023, 09:34 AM

Quoted for truth.

Bulldog Joe
21-06-2023, 09:56 AM

I might trade Bailey Smith for Butters but not for the hope an 18 yo becomes Butters equivalent in 4 years.

GVGjr
21-06-2023, 10:19 AM
If I was ranking players of who I wouldn't want to trade it would be
Bont
Naughton
English
Baz Smith
Ugle-Hagan

Too much risk to think a top 10 pick or 2 gives you a huge advantage unless you're determined to take the club on a rebuild.
BAD mentioned that you don't really consider trading players unless they put in the request and I tend to agree with that. The counter to that is Collingwoods success after pushing quality players like Treloar and Grundy out of the club.

chef
21-06-2023, 10:34 AM
I might trade Bailey Smith for Butters but not for the hope an 18 yo becomes Butters equivalent in 4 years.

Might?

I'd probs throw in a first rounder too, Butters is a dead set gun. Smith is just Nigel Kellett with a prettier face.

mjp
21-06-2023, 11:24 AM
Might?

I'd probs throw in a first rounder too, Butters is a dead set gun. Smith is just Nigel Kellett with a prettier face.

I wouldn't trade Bailey Smith for Butters.
Butters is a PA player. Baz is OUR player. It probably doesn't make much sense but trading out a popular player (with team-mates and fans) for one from another club just doesn't jibe with me. Smith does a lot right, gets the ball and runs hard...not happy with his current rate of progress - how about we coach the young fella and adjust his trajectory - seems to be a hard worker to me.

bornadog
21-06-2023, 11:35 AM
If I was ranking players of who I wouldn't want to trade it would be
Bont
Naughton
English
Baz Smith
Ugle-Hagan

Too much risk to think a top 10 pick or 2 gives you a huge advantage unless you're determined to take the club on a rebuild.
BAD mentioned that you don't really consider trading players unless they put in the request and I tend to agree with that. The counter to that is Collingwoods success after pushing quality players like Treloar and Grundy out of the club.

Yes agree, but that was a list management stuff up. The other reason is when they stuff up and cause issues in the club (Stringer)

bornadog
21-06-2023, 11:38 AM
Butters is a PA player. Baz is OUR player. It probably doesn't make much sense but trading out a popular player (with team-mates and fans) for one from another club just doesn't jibe with me. Smith does a lot right, gets the ball and runs hard...not happy with his current rate of progress - how about we coach the young fella and adjust his trajectory - seems to be a hard worker to me.

I love watching Smith - he is exciting and frustrating at times, but has the ability to do anything.

Mantis
21-06-2023, 11:48 AM
I love watching Smith - he is exciting and frustrating at times, but has the ability to do anything.

Except kick it to one of his team-mates, especially when they're stationed I50. ;)

chef
21-06-2023, 12:40 PM

Yeah I get the emotional attachment, I was talking more about the comparison of the two players in question.

I wish he could learn to kick.

1eyedog
21-06-2023, 12:41 PM
I would get over trading Smith for Butters reasonably quickly.

I'm sure the players would too when he starts winning games of footy off his own boot which he's been doing regularly this year

bornadog
21-06-2023, 12:43 PM
Yeah I get the emotional attachment, I was talking more about the comparison of the two players in question.

I wish he could learn to kick.

You mean more of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDSId9K9S_Y

chef
21-06-2023, 02:11 PM
You mean more of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDSId9K9S_Y

Yeah that would be nice, but it seems that night was a one off.

mjp
21-06-2023, 02:18 PM

Well, it is if you have an attitude like that!

He's a young player. He's gonna be OK!

jeemak
21-06-2023, 02:20 PM

The four he kicked in the preliminary final the week after were pretty solid as well.

chef
21-06-2023, 02:30 PM
The four he kicked in the preliminary final the week after were pretty solid as well.

Yeah its a wonder whats happened to him since then.

azabob
24-06-2023, 10:40 AM
Yeah its a wonder whats happened to him since then.

It’s a wonder what has happened to the entire club since then.

It’s a interesting observation you’ve made, especially considering how pragmatic you are with the club and players.

bornadog
24-06-2023, 12:23 PM
It’s a wonder what has happened to the entire club since then.

Played another final and sitting in 8 at the moment - I am sure many clubs would love that situation.

Bulldog Joe
24-06-2023, 12:37 PM
Played another final and sitting in 8 at the moment - I am sure many clubs would love that situation.

The final was achieved because of Carlton's inability to finish off games.

The final was abysmal in giving away a 7 goal start.

Not sure many clubs or supporters would love that coming off a GF.

2023 has been underwhelming despite sitting inside the eight. Really should be inside the top 4.

I for one don't love that as a sign of progress.

I do concede that there is scope to make something worthwhile of the year, but anything below a PF appearance is a fail from me.

bornadog
24-06-2023, 12:43 PM
The final was achieved because of Carlton's inability to finish off games.

The final was abysmal in giving away a 7 goal start.

Not sure many clubs or supporters would love that coming off a GF.

2023 has been underwhelming despite sitting inside the eight. Really should be inside the top 4.

I for one don't love that as a sign of progress.

I do concede that there is scope to make something worthwhile of the year, but anything below a PF appearance is a fail from me.

Of course I want more success but it is not as if we have sunk to the bottom half of the ladder

EasternWest
24-06-2023, 01:31 PM
Of course I want more success but it is not as if we have sunk to the bottom half of the ladder

Yet ...

Actually I jest - I think why there's such frustration at a lot of what's going on is because when we are good we can hang with anyone (see Port game). The problem is consistency.

jeemak
24-06-2023, 02:01 PM
The clubs that finished above us only did so because we couldn't keep our concentration consistently in games and if we could they wouldn't have.

Fun way of looking at things.

jeemak
24-06-2023, 02:04 PM

That's only because the bottom half of the ladder teams can't win as many games as us. If they could win as many or more we would be!

EasternWest
24-06-2023, 02:18 PM
That's only because the bottom half of the ladder teams can't win as many games as us. If they could win as many or more we would be!

Promote this man.

Rocket Science
24-06-2023, 03:33 PM
Yet ...

Actually I jest - I think why there's such frustration at a lot of what's going on is because when we are good we can hang with anyone (see Port game). The problem is consistency.

Those maddening fluctuations, year to year, game to game, quarter to quarter feel like they've been a hallmark of this team for our entire post-flag era but find more recently am weirdly less tempted to wonder what we're going to get because with the makeup of the list it feels like we know fairly well what we're going to get.

Unsure if this is good or bad or both.

jeemak
24-06-2023, 03:37 PM
Those maddening fluctuations, year to year, game to game, quarter to quarter feel like they've been a hallmark of this team for our entire post-flag era but find more recently am weirdly less tempted to wonder what we're going to get because with the makeup of the list it feels like we know fairly well what we're going to get.

Unsure if this is good or bad or both.

We don't tend to lose in different ways, which is calming and infuriating at the same time. You know, no surprises and all that.

azabob
24-06-2023, 04:25 PM
We don't tend to lose in different ways, which is calming and infuriating at the same time. You know, no surprises and all that.

Do you reckon our inconsistency comes down to our ability to perform or mentally we lose concentration?

jeemak
25-06-2023, 06:32 PM
Do you reckon our inconsistency comes down to our ability to perform or mentally we lose concentration?

I think mentally we can't keep it all together for long enough in games and week to week.

Take the lapse at the end of 2021 prior to finals, where we dropped our bundle mentally and lost games against the Hawks and Essendon thinking talent alone would get us across the line. Then there's the defencive and intensity lapses in games which we all know about.

Because of our talent/ organisation issues at each end of the ground we're not talented enough to have those lapses.

What I would say however is the intensity this season since round two has been more consistent. However, that seems to have come at the expense of executing skills efficiently.

To me inconsistency across the board is heavily affected by mental resilience.

GVGjr
03-07-2023, 10:59 PM
Footy Classified have called out Bailey Smith's form drop and are asking the question if we are giving him the appropriate level of support.

kruder
03-07-2023, 11:19 PM
Footy Classified have called out Bailey Smith's form drop and are asking the question if we are giving him the appropriate level of support.

Yeah right levels of support seem to come with some inside knowledge but at the same time easy to draw the line. I agree the running he did after the norrfff game was very strange indeed, it's hard to know what to make of his form.

That play in the last quarter, where he was streaming down the middle after receiving from Westy is exactly what we need from him in that role but for some reason we haven't seen it often enough. I did notice he had a compression bandage over his knee last week at training?

ledge
03-07-2023, 11:34 PM
Yeah right levels of support seem to come with some inside knowledge but at the same time easy to draw the line. I agree the running he did after the norrfff game was very strange indeed, it's hard to know what to make of his form.

That play in the last quarter, where he was streaming down the middle after receiving from Westy is exactly what we need from him in that role but for some reason we haven't seen it often enough. I did notice he had a compression bandage over his knee last week at training?
To be honest I don’t think we play him in the position that suits him most, he is an inside and outside player and gathers his possessions doing both . We are playing him as an outside runner only atm thus he is only getting half the possessions he would usually get . Trying to cover run for losing jj and Richards isn’t his game . He enjoys being in the hard stuff and shrugging off blokes. He needs to be at the coal face to get the maximum out of him .

Bulldog Joe
03-07-2023, 11:36 PM
To be honest I don’t think we play him in the position that suits him most, he is an inside and outside player and gathers his possessions doing both . We are playing him as an outside runner only atm thus he is only getting half the possessions he would usually get . Trying to cover run for losing jj and Richards isn’t his game . He enjoys being in the hard stuff and shrugging off blokes. He needs to be at the coal face to get the maximum out of him .

He did play a great game when given responsibility for Cripps against Carlton. Perhaps we could set him to play on De Goey this week.

kruder
03-07-2023, 11:40 PM

Yeah I agree, but Baz has the ability to do both if he sets his mind to it. Watching him the last few weeks his heart doesn't look in it playing the outside role, I reckon he is more suited to stopping Daicos.

1eyedog
03-07-2023, 11:57 PM
Get him in the ruck.

Baz is fine he'll be fine.

azabob
04-07-2023, 07:56 AM

I only saw the social media grab but it seemed a well balanced piece and they were genuinely concerned and not in a shock jock way.

bulldogtragic
04-07-2023, 08:03 AM
I said in the match day thread that I thought he looked like his mind was elsewhere during the game. Not really disinterested, but just somewhere else. Something is impacting his performance, but we can all guess and be mainly wrong. Now that it’s a public question, it would be nice for Bevo at his weekly presser to clear any questions now raised. Doesn’t need to be sinister, but from mental health issues around draft time, and well reported issues since, for fans to know he’s ok or otherwise would be nice to know. I mean, if he’s just not been switched on, or just in a patch of struggling with form or fitness, that’s fine too. Doesn’t need to be a big production, just a comment or two.

GVGjr
04-07-2023, 08:05 AM
I only saw the social media grab but it seemed a well balanced piece and they were genuinely concerned and not in a shock jock way.

Yep, it wasn't critical at all but asked the question on why his form had dropped off. Cornes even mentioned his own obsession with staying fit when he was playing.

GVGjr
04-07-2023, 08:06 AM
I said in the match day thread that I thought he looked like his mind was elsewhere during the game. Not really disinterested, but just somewhere else. Something is impacting his performance, but we can all guess and be mainly wrong. Now that it’s a public question, it would be nice for Bevo at his weekly presser to clear any questions now raised. Doesn’t need to be sinister, but from mental health issues around draft time, and well reported issues since, for fans to know he’s ok or otherwise would be nice to know. I mean, if he’s just not been switched on, or just in a patch of struggling with form or fitness, that’s fine too. Doesn’t need to be a big production, just a comment or two.

Spot on.

Grantysghost
04-07-2023, 08:25 AM
Yep, it wasn't critical at all but asked the question on why his form had dropped off. Cornes even mentioned his own obsession with staying fit when he was playing.

Did they mention Treloar returning and his positional change?

GVGjr
04-07-2023, 08:31 AM
Did they mention Treloar returning and his positional change?

Not Treloar but they did ponder the positional changes and what position he might be best suited to.

Mofra
04-07-2023, 08:37 AM
Not Treloar but they did ponder the positional changes and what position he might be best suited to.
Seems his best games this year are where he runs with the opposition's best mid then works off them (he does have fantastic running capacity).

Grantysghost
04-07-2023, 08:53 AM
Seems his best games this year are where he runs with the opposition's best mid then works off them (he does have fantastic running capacity).

Yeah spot on. I was watching him closely. The HFF->mid role is tricky. You need to be thinking a bit.

Second stoppage he sprints up to the contest.

If there isn't one he stays forward.

When they say form drop off I wonder what they mean exactly? He isn't getting the same number of possessions of course as he's not spending as much time in the midfield.

He had 16, 26 pressure acts which is high, 300 metres gained it wasn't an awful game.

GVGjr
04-07-2023, 09:35 AM
Yeah spot on. I was watching him closely. The HFF->mid role is tricky. You need to be thinking a bit.

Second stoppage he sprints up to the contest.

If there isn't one he stays forward.

When they say form drop off I wonder what they mean exactly? He isn't getting the same number of possessions of course as he's not spending as much time in the midfield.

He had 16, 26 pressure acts which is high, 300 metres gained it wasn't an awful game.

I think we also have to consider that Freo play a frustrating keepings off type game in their back half and switch the ball around a lot which makes that half forward role even harder.
I'm not too concerned about a couple of quieter weeks.

Grantysghost
04-07-2023, 09:44 AM
I think we also have to consider that Freo play a frustrating keepings off type game in their back half and switch the ball around a lot which makes that half forward role even harder.
I'm not too concerned about a couple of quieter weeks.

There was one play, I think it was in the second quarter where they were so patient it was actually admirable. They went right, left, right, back left, inside on the 45 which opened up the play and they ended up getting a goal.

I was explaining the entire play to my nephew it was amazing that it came off the way they were planning.

bornadog
04-07-2023, 09:52 AM
Typical Kornes, makes statements when he doesn't know what role Smith is playing. Have a look at Macrae whose numbers are also down because he plays a different role.

Bevo has really changed up the mids this year since the departure of Dunks. Treloar's role has also changed and his numbers are up, and Libba is in great form playing in the middle.

I am not too worried about Smith at all.

MrMahatma
04-07-2023, 01:32 PM
Without looking into it, I'd run with the thinking that Smith's best games this year were when Treloar was out, and their best positions are the same position - for the time being Bevo prefers Adam in that role.

While the piece wasn't "shock jock", to say "I hope he's getting the support he needs internally" is kind of saying "I'm not sure he's getting the support he needs internally" which is kind of shock jock.

jeemak
04-07-2023, 10:37 PM
Without looking into it, I'd run with the thinking that Smith's best games this year were when Treloar was out, and their best positions are the same position - for the time being Bevo prefers Adam in that role.

While the piece wasn't "shock jock", to say "I hope he's getting the support he needs internally" is kind of saying "I'm not sure he's getting the support he needs internally" which is kind of shock jock.

He might even like Smith in Treloar's role more, but prefers not to have Treloar in the role Smith is currently playing. In fact, I'm sure if you asked Bevo he'd probably say candidly that Smith is sacrificing for the team and should be commended for it.

Agree with you on the comment around, well, the commentary. What good does it do for anyone to focus on something that isn't able to be verified and essentially goes against everything the player himself has said of his journey with the club over time?

jeemak
06-07-2023, 06:43 PM
Of course this story was never going to die, Ch9. own The Age and Cornes needed to test out the narrative before he decided what to publish this week:

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/someone-needs-to-save-bailey-smith-from-himself-i-would-know-20230705-p5dm0c.html

Someone needs to save Bailey Smith from himself. I would know

How many KMs did Smith run? I'm sure Cornes could find out. Why was he running after the game? I'm sure Cornes if he had half a relationship with those in clubland could find out.

Maybe Smith didn't do enough running at high intensity for the night and felt he needed to get some in before taking a well earned break! Why would that be a consideration when Kane just wants to wave his dick about?

To what end do you publish an article like this? It adds absolutely no value, other than to get more people to speculate about someone who doesn't need it.

jeemak
06-07-2023, 06:46 PM
The footy media doesn't usually bother me too much, but this sort of unhelpful bullshit really pisses me off.

bulldogtragic
07-07-2023, 10:31 PM
EW said you were doing something Jeemak?

jeemak
07-07-2023, 10:38 PM
He's a keeper and isn't going anywhere if I have anything to do with it.

Needs our support, not our backs turned on him over a few issues with his game. People easily forget how good he can be and I think it's disappointing supporters are looking to ditch him.

jazzadogs
07-07-2023, 10:41 PM
His last five minutes was exactly what we should be trying to get from Baz. Not sure what was going on the rest of the game.

bulldogtragic
07-07-2023, 10:41 PM
He's a keeper and isn't going anywhere if I have anything to do with it.

Needs our support, not our backs turned on him over a few issues with his game. People easily forget how good he can be and I think it's disappointing supporters are looking to ditch him.

Ok for Dunkley though?

Grantysghost
07-07-2023, 10:44 PM
His last five minutes was exactly what we should be trying to get from Baz. Not sure what was going on the rest of the game.

I think he finally got a run on the ball.

jeemak
07-07-2023, 10:45 PM
Ok for Dunkley though?

Yep. That was about us being samey and nobody said I was going to be consistent.

bulldogtragic
07-07-2023, 10:46 PM
Yep. That was about us being samey and nobody said I was going to be consistent.

Touch?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
07-07-2023, 10:48 PM
Smith is ours. He's a highly durable player, and I'd much rather we put our arms around him and get him through this period.
Looks like at present we've been trying him in a few different roles for the team.
He's a great player, I hope he remains a Bulldog for his whole career.

EasternWest
07-07-2023, 10:50 PM
Smith is ours. He's a highly durable player, and I'd much rather we put our arms around him and get him through this period.

Me too really Mal, but if we're not going to play him in his proper position then what's the point?

Sedat
07-07-2023, 10:52 PM
The last thing we can afford is to lose players with leg speed from our mids.

EasternWest
07-07-2023, 10:54 PM
The last thing we can afford is to lose players with leg speed from our mids.

But what if we don't play them in the middle?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
07-07-2023, 10:55 PM
Me too really Mal, but if we're not going to play him in his proper position then what's the point?

I'd really like to have some insight from the coaches as to why he's playing the role he has recently. There has to be some rationale for it. It's not working, but I'm sure they're not deliberately trying to make him ineffective. I can't for the life of me work out what it might be though.

Grantysghost
07-07-2023, 10:58 PM
I'd really like to have some insight from the coaches as to why he's playing the role he has recently. There has to be some rationale for it. It's not working, but I'm sure they're not deliberately trying to make him ineffective. I can't for the life of me work out what it might be though.

I think it's to get Treloar into the Dunkley role we've kind of wound the clock back with him.
Daniel is in there too.
It's a tough one not everyone can play midfield.
Question is, have we got the balance right. He's starting to look despondant so I think it's time to give him more time now purely for his development.

It's a net even I think Treloar or Baz in the guts.

Edit: Baz attended two centre bounces both in the last. Quite late too I think.

https://i.postimg.cc/mg67J5X0/Screenshot-20230707-230032.png (https://postimg.cc/21hqB2fw)

Macrae been completely wiped from them.

angelopetraglia
08-07-2023, 12:11 PM
I think it's to get Treloar into the Dunkley role we've kind of wound the clock back with him.
Daniel is in there too.
It's a tough one not everyone can play midfield.
Question is, have we got the balance right. He's starting to look despondant so I think it's time to give him more time now purely for his development.

It's a net even I think Treloar or Baz in the guts.

Edit: Baz attended two centre bounces both in the last. Quite late too I think.

https://i.postimg.cc/mg67J5X0/Screenshot-20230707-230032.png (https://postimg.cc/21hqB2fw)

Macrae been completely wiped from them.

Also. Macrae has also been forced out.

bornadog
08-07-2023, 01:25 PM
Also. Macrae has also been forced out.

I thought Macrae was pretty good last night. We should have given Smith more CBAs when we saw Adz was struggling.

kruder
08-07-2023, 02:03 PM
There is no doubt our mids are on the slide and to be expected with their age profile, while our forwards are emerging as we speak.

I think from round 1 next year Baz needs to be inside and he needs to take on the defensive responsibilities that comes with that role, until then I'd expect his form to continue if we play him on a flank. He does look lost in the role but at the same time I would love to see him work harder, he has the ability to break games open in the second half of games but for whatever reason we are not seeing his endurance/speed shine through atm.

Lets get around him because the kid is worth the effort and can be a difference maker even this year.

Go_Dogs
08-07-2023, 10:06 PM
I’d have put Baz on Diacos and said “beat him or at least break even with him”.

angelopetraglia
10-07-2023, 09:26 AM
Below is from the Tackle from Mark Robinson. No doubt he is right to ask the hard questions. But it feels like all commentators almost barrack for star players to leave our club. I'm sick of it.

What to do with Bailey Smith?

It’s hard to watch the Bulldogs young gun be a non-contributor, and it’s going to be hard for him when, in the review, there will be (or should be) footage of his half-chase on Bobby Hill on the far wing at Marvel Stadium on Friday night. Hill had the ball and scampered, and Smith, believing Hill would immediately dispose of the ball, was only loping inside of him. Smith upped his effort when Hill kept running, but it was the initial response which left a lot to be desired. It’s difficult to determine if Smith is in a terrible form slump, or if there’s life issues affecting his footy, for he has several times spoken of his off-field challenges. Maybe Smith needs a new club and new environment. That’s a kneejerk response, but it could work for him and the Bulldogs, who would get a first-round selection in return. Smith was supposed to be the centre-square replacement for Josh Dunkley, but against the Pies, he had four minutes in the first quarter, four minutes in the second, two minutes in the third, and 14 minutes in the final quarter. As a forward he was opposed to John Noble, who was one of the best afield, having 28 disposals and taking nine marks. Something’s not right with Bailey, for it was the first time in his career he didn’t have a single score involvement.

bornadog
10-07-2023, 09:30 AM
Below is from the Tackle from Mark Robinson. No doubt he is right to ask the hard questions. But it feels like all commentators almost barrack for star players to leave our club. I'm sick of it.

Maybe Smith needs a new club and new environment.

Sorry Slobbo, we don't need to get rid of a young mid with some pace.

bulldogtragic
10-07-2023, 09:31 AM
Robbo doing the work Jeemak won’t. :D

But seriously, it needs to be an ?overs? type trade to get any buy in from any stakeholder. Otherwise, work out what?s going on ASAP.

Sedat
10-07-2023, 09:37 AM
But what if we don't play them in the middle?
He should be in there more often IMO - he has beast attributes to be an inside-outside mid of quality for many years to come. I think we should challenge him to raise his game and take ownership of the midfield next year, like Butters and Rozee have done for Port this year.

It's time for the likes of Macrae to become valuable elsewhere, like Wines and Boak have done for Port.

hujsh
10-07-2023, 09:46 AM
He should be in there more often IMO - he has beast attributes to be an inside-outside mid of quality for many years to come. I think we should challenge him to raise his game and take ownership of the midfield next year, like Butters and Rozee have done for Port this year.

It's time for the likes of Macrae to become valuable elsewhere, like Wines and Boak have some for Port.

Wrong example. He's already out of the CBA rotations. Would have to be one of Bont, Treloar or Libba or just completely remove Daniel from them for Smith

bornadog
10-07-2023, 10:02 AM
Wrong example. He's already out of the CBA rotations. Would have to be one of Bont, Treloar or Libba or just completely remove Daniel from them for Smith

I like the way Macrae has been sacrifcing his game for the sake of the team and not playing his usual role in the middle.

EasternWest
10-07-2023, 10:09 AM

It's been a while since I've said this, but "this".

I'm not 100% serious when I make comments about trading him because his peak is really good but he's really only suited to one role and if he's not playing it then we're just better off (and he probably would be too) cashing out.

bulldogtragic
10-07-2023, 10:31 AM

I'm not 100% serious when I make comments about trading him because his peak is really good but he's really only suited to one role and if he's not playing it then we're just better off (and he probably would be too) cashing out.

This is exact issue, succinctly put again. That’s up to Bevo I guess.

Sedat
10-07-2023, 10:42 AM
Appreciate the clarification on Macrae (I haven't watched a lot of our games this year). The point remains that we need Smith to raise his game and take ownership of the midfield sooner rather than later - he has attributes we are in very short supply of on our list. He has his faults (we all know them) but playing him as a high half forward or on the wing actually exacerbates his weaknesses and doesn't align as well with his considerable strengths. He should be getting more meaningful minutes in our midfield rotations - for mine it is not an either/or but we need to have a bigger spread of starting mids. I actually think he also has some run-with qualities depending on the opposition match-ups akin to a Ben Keays type, but Bevo has never had this in his coaching repertoire.

I guess many of our midfield issues against the better teams start with having a non-dominant stoppage/pure clearance ruckman, so our mids can never really position themselves assertively at stoppage - so we might, through sheer talent, be able to win a lot of dirty clearances but they never seem to translate to scoreboard dominance. Collingwood had less clearances on Friday night but absolutely smashed us for scoreboard impact from clearances on the night.

bornadog
10-07-2023, 10:44 AM

We have Treloar and Libba who are over 30. Smith is the ideal replacement at just 22 years old.

Grantysghost
10-07-2023, 10:47 AM
We have Treloar and Libba who are over 30. Smith is the ideal replacement at just 22 years old.

I wonder why we don't split their time? Instead of Treloar taking 90 percent of CBA's he maybe does 70/30 or 60/40 with Baz.

bulldogtragic
10-07-2023, 10:49 AM

How is he developing in the mean time if he continues to not be in the role? Genuine question. If we are not developing him in the role (he barely plays there) then we not get the best out of him. He might feel a bit of that too.

hujsh
10-07-2023, 10:51 AM
I wonder why we don't split their time? Instead of Treloar taking 90 percent of CBA's he maybe does 70/30 or 60/40 with Baz.

It's a balancing act I guess. Do we take 4-5 CBAs from Treloar, Bont and Libba each or do we take 10 from Treloar and 5 from Bont?

Not sure myself but it's clear Smith is too out of the game right now as a pure half forward. That's why I was careful to say Sedat had the wrong example but didn't disagree with the overall point.

Weird option... do we do a Hodge and try Bont as an intercepting half back on occasion? Don't want him kicking at goal tbh

bornadog
10-07-2023, 10:51 AM

Not sure what is going on there, but Adz should have not been in the centre with his performance on the night.

EasternWest
10-07-2023, 10:54 AM

Very fair point.

How is he developing in the mean time if he continues to not be in the role? Genuine question. If we are not developing him in the role (he barely plays there) then we not get the best out of him. He might feel a bit of that too.

Very fair point.

azabob
10-07-2023, 11:04 AM
It's a balancing act I guess. Do we take 4-5 CBAs from Treloar, Bont and Libba each or do we take 10 from Treloar and 5 from Bont?

Not sure myself but it's clear Smith is too out of the game right now as a pure half forward. That's why I was careful to say Sedat had the wrong example but didn't disagree with the overall point.

Weird option... do we do a Hodge and try Bont as an intercepting half back on occasion? Don't want him kicking at goal tbh

No. Bontempelli is our best midfielder and should be at the source when ever he is on the ground.

If we need to give Smith me CBA action it has to be at the expensive of Treloar and Liberatore.

GVGjr
10-07-2023, 05:03 PM
Robbo has got it very wrong. We should never trade Baz Smith and it certainly shouldn't be because he's had a few quiet weeks.
Lets give him a run with role and run him back into some form.

Grantysghost
10-07-2023, 05:10 PM
Robbo has got it very wrong. We should never trade Baz Smith and it certainly shouldn't be because he's had a few quiet weeks.
Lets give him a run with role and run him back into some form.

God I heard Cornes waxing lyrical about him this morning.
Guess what. Baz gets clicks.

I like it because we are in the conversation however it's horse you know what to consider trading our only good young mid.

jeemak
10-07-2023, 05:16 PM
They're all lining up to take the pressure off someone with known mental illness by needlessly speculating about his mental illness and how it impacts his performance.

Footy!!!!

Grantysghost
10-07-2023, 05:17 PM
They're all lining up to take the pressure off someone with known mental illness by needlessly speculating about his mental illness and how it impacts his performance.

Footy!!!!

Awful isn't it.

jeemak
10-07-2023, 08:40 PM
Awful isn't it.

It's bang for buck. If they get really lucky Bevo will get shitty and lash out and then they can lay the boots into him.

angelopetraglia
10-07-2023, 11:02 PM
And again https://twitter.com/footyonnine/status/1678378779872227328?s=46&t=oMlyiNHry1lhUs8p7uzZ_A

angelopetraglia
10-07-2023, 11:08 PM
Seven rounds ago against the Crows Bailey Smith had 37 touches. That’s decent form! Treloar didn’t play that game. But what has happened since then to his form? Has been a natural erosion of confidence with less time in the middle? Is there something else going on?

jeemak
10-07-2023, 11:11 PM
And again https://twitter.com/footyonnine/status/1678378779872227328?s=46&t=oMlyiNHry1lhUs8p7uzZ_A

You can just imagine them high fiving each other after that, great job, really put some bullshit together right there.

No discussion around who in the midfield is keeping him out, no discussion around who else has made sacrifices to their game to accommodate everyone. Just the coach has lost faith, he used to be a star (in the exact same role he playing now, mind you) and should go somewhere else so we can all get a massive hard on over clickbait.

jeemak
10-07-2023, 11:12 PM
Seven rounds ago against the Crows Bailey Smith had 37 touches. That’s decent form! Treloar didn’t play that game. But what has happened since then to his form? Has been a natural erosion of confidence with less time in the middle? Is there something else going on?

It could be what Luke Beveridge said it was. Poor preparation impacting his output as the season progresses.

angelopetraglia
10-07-2023, 11:18 PM
You can just imagine them high fiving each other after that, great job, really put some bullshit together right there.

No discussion around who in the midfield is keeping him out, no discussion around who else has made sacrifices to their game to accommodate everyone. Just the coach has lost faith, he used to be a star (in the exact same role he playing now, mind you) and should go somewhere else so we can all get a massive hard on over clickbait.

It?s a ridiculously bad show. Do they have such a low opinion of the average AFL supporter? In a lineup of ordinary shows, this is the worst.

jeemak
10-07-2023, 11:28 PM
It's particularly puerile because they don't have oxygen due to not having the coverage, and needing to be sensationalist to keep their newspapers in circulation. The show drives the content until the games start again on the weekend.

Mofra
11-07-2023, 07:57 AM
Give him the week off and get him away from the football bubble.
Give the kid a pressure valve weekend. Given his profile and the media spotlight, I'd give him free reign to have those weekends 1-2 times per year to refresh. He could have a long, excellent career if handled correctly. We know his best is sublime and he's a hard worker when his head is clear.

Grantysghost
11-07-2023, 09:48 AM

They had a cherry picked graphic though - I mean to half time, that's more important than the entire game right!

Mantis
11-07-2023, 10:35 AM
Give him the week off and get him away from the football bubble.
Give the kid a pressure valve weekend. Given his profile and the media spotlight, I'd give him free reign to have those weekends 1-2 times per year to refresh. He could have a long, excellent career if handled correctly. We know his best is sublime and he's a hard worker when his head is clear.

Do we know his head isn't clear?

I'd prefer we up his midfield minutes and set him the challenge to be a dominant player for us.

Mofra
11-07-2023, 11:30 AM
Do we know his head isn't clear?

I'd prefer we up his midfield minutes and set him the challenge to be a dominant player for us.
TBH I'm not sure he plays this week. Not dropped, "rested". If not this week, then in the near future.

Mantis
11-07-2023, 11:40 AM
TBH I'm not sure he plays this week. Not dropped, "rested". If not this week, then in the near future.

Bevo mentioned in this morning's press conference he (Bailey) was ill leading into the Coll game and in the aftermath, but Bailey wanted to play so we backed him in.

He is hoping he will be right to play on Thursday.

azabob
11-07-2023, 11:41 AM
Bevo mentioned in this morning's press conference he (Bailey)was ill leading into the Coll game and in the aftermath, but Bailey wanted to play so we backed him in.

He is hoping he will be right to play on Thursday.

Bevo spoke well; was fairly reserved but got the key points across.

azabob
12-07-2023, 01:36 PM
Sedat can you sort this out?

RIVAL VICTORIAN CLUB HAVING ?MEANINGFUL? TRADE CONVERSATIONS ABOUT BULLDOGS STAR

SEN?s Sam Edmund is exclusively reporting that Geelong have had meaningful conversations about trading for Western Bulldogs midfielder Bailey Smith.

Smith has been in the spotlight across recent weeks due to a downturn in form with the former No.7 draft pick seeing his numbers dip in 2023.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/07/12/rival-victorian-club-having-meaningful-trade-conversations-about-bulldogs/

Grantysghost
12-07-2023, 01:56 PM

RIVAL VICTORIAN CLUB HAVING ?MEANINGFUL? TRADE CONVERSATIONS ABOUT BULLDOGS STAR

SEN?s Sam Edmund is exclusively reporting that Geelong have had meaningful conversations about trading for Western Bulldogs midfielder Bailey Smith.

Smith has been in the spotlight across recent weeks due to a downturn in form with the former No.7 draft pick seeing his numbers dip in 2023.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/07/12/rival-victorian-club-having-meaningful-trade-conversations-about-bulldogs/

Oh those pricks.

Sedat
12-07-2023, 01:57 PM

“Geelong have contacted Smith's management, but I need to say in the last week or so, probably 16 clubs have done the same, reached out and inquired,” Edmund said.

Lol. So basically every club interested in gun young mid - stop the press :rolleyes::rolleyes:

When push comes to shove, we can't compete with the Cotton On Cats - they get an artificial leg-up from the corporates as well as the taxpayer :rolleyes:

Grantysghost
12-07-2023, 02:16 PM
“Geelong have contacted Smith's management, but I need to say in the last week or so, probably 16 clubs have done the same, reached out and inquired,” Edmund said.

Lol. So basically every club interested in gun young mid - stop the press :rolleyes::rolleyes:

When push comes to shove, we can't compete with the Cotton On Cats - they get an artificial leg-up from the corporates as well as the taxpayer :rolleyes:

It's total click bait, if we lose another young mid to add to Lipinski and Dunkley I'll spew up!

PS cotton on cats is the perfect acronym.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
12-07-2023, 02:18 PM
I really don't want to lose Smith. I am hopeful we've got a plan to retain him.

jeemak
12-07-2023, 02:26 PM
News editors - Hopefully he's really mentally ill this week so we can get optimal mileage out of these unnecessary and unhelpful articles........or something.

mjp
12-07-2023, 02:28 PM
"...probably 16 clubs...".

WHAT-EVVVAAAAA.

(And what a crock).

A player like Smith with his on-field potential/off-field appeal is a targeted recruit. You don't just wake up and say "Wow, Kane Cornes is saying Bailey Smith isn't playing well...just let me pull $800Kpa out of my butt and give his manager a call"...

Do the reporters think we're stupid? 16-clubs called his manager to talk about Bailey Smith in 'a couple of days'? You're just talking rubbish - go away.

The Geelong piece? There could be something there around the connection to Cotton On but it seems to me Bailey has got all of Cotton On's money WITHOUT playing for Geelong so a change of club wont really get him more from them...unless he was to move to Sydney as the face of the AFL in NSW now that Buddy is moving on...THAT is something that would be genuinely concerning.

meenies
12-07-2023, 02:31 PM
Bevo spoke well; was fairly reserved but got the key points across.

Anyone else linked Bevo's reserved comments about "whoever's looking after him" (6:30) and not doing what's best for Baz with the Sam Edmund report?

Grantysghost
12-07-2023, 02:51 PM
News editors - Hopefully he's really mentally ill this week so we can get optimal mileage out of these unnecessary and unhelpful articles........or something.

Oh Jee so sad but true.

Then they can write articles about his mental health battles and tag it with the support numbers.

Filth.

bornadog
12-07-2023, 03:13 PM
Truth is all our young guns would be targeted. English, Naughton, JUH, Smith, Cody, Bailey Dale

It is up to Power and Bevo to keep them happy and sell the club and future and mates sticking together.

bulldogtragic
12-07-2023, 03:51 PM
Meh. Won’t waste time on it, which is the aim of the nonsense.

azabob
12-07-2023, 04:05 PM
The Geelong piece? There could be something there around the connection to Cotton On but it seems to me Bailey has got all of Cotton On's money WITHOUT playing for Geelong so a change of club wont really get him more from them...unless he was to move to Sydney as the face of the AFL in NSW now that Buddy is moving on...THAT is something that would be genuinely concerning.

I called out the Smith and Sydney link mid last year. Not that we can prove it by looking at history. It makes sense on so many levels from a marketing front, non footy state, Sydney just get stuff done behind the scenes.

Axe Man
12-07-2023, 04:20 PM
Bailey Smith linked with trade from Western Bulldogs amid form slump (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/bailey-smith-linked-with-trade-from-western-bulldogs-amid-form-slump/news-story/7cad97689c25cddae659cc3a8a253675)

Bailey Smith may be flat with his new role.

Only two years ago when he blazed eight goals in the 2021 finals series we were all weighing up the jet onballer?s claims as one of the most exciting players in the competition.

Was he or Sam Walsh the best talent from the 2018 draft?

Smith, with the chiselled frame plastered across Melbourne billboards, was the next big thing. The exhilarating run, the scoreboard impact. That flowing mullet.

But as Western Bulldogs attempt to hang on to their place in the eight on Thursday night against Sydney Swans at the SCG, Smith?s form is on the slide.

More than that, his name has emerged as shock trade bait. Mark Robinson posed the question on Sunday, that maybe Smith needed a new club and environment.

SEN said on Wednesday Geelong was chasing him.

Coach Luke Beveridge would have had a fit, after trying desperately to shut the whole thing down on Tuesday, clearly annoyed his match winner was a discussion point.

But on Wednesday the noise went in to overdrive as the Bulldogs boarded the plane to Sydney to take on the Swans at the SCG without Smith, who is sick.

Smith would have to be a bit frustrated he is being parked on a forward flank, out of the action, on starvation corner.

According to Champion Data he has played 79 per cent forward over the past month and on Friday night he had 11 disposals after a late burst in the middle.

He was genuinely sick, and still is, the club says, which is fair enough. A concession perhaps he should not have played.

But how does one of the club?s best young players go from superstar in the making to trade bait?

His disposals (down by an average five a game), and score involvements (two a game) have spiralled this year, but he remains a match winner.

THE SMITH CONUNDRUM
When does his contract expire?
What would he command in a trade?
A top-six draft pick
How do Cats get it?
Secure it from Gold Coast in a trade involving the Cats first and second-round picks
What could Bulldogs get with pick six?
Contracted defender Tom Barrass from West Coast

While his impact has waned,and it might come as a blow to his ego, coaches say that is exactly what has to be parked in the selfless and relentless chase for a premiership.

It?s exactly what Taylor Adams has done at Collingwood. Christian Petracca was lauded for making the move at Melbourne against St Kilda last weekend.

Smith can do that. He can also run, and that?s why Beveridge would be putting him in arguably the hardest position on the field. To get on his bike.

The forward flankers need to be huge runners, like Geelong?s Gryan Miers, who can make the sprint up and down the field all day long.

Perhaps it is not easy to do that heavy lifting if you are a big possession-winner and aren?t used to watching others get the big lick of the ice cream, but would Smith really want to break his contract this year?

Perhaps he could reconsider when his deal expires next season.

The Dogs wouldn?t entertain it this year without a blockbuster return, such as a top-six draft pick.

Maybe a prime key defender, such as West Coast?s Tom Barrass, would suit to help replace an Alex Keath or Ryan Gardner.

Gold Coast is looking to off-load pick six, which theoretically provides an opportunity for the Cats to land an early selection as part of a hypothetical deal, but there are more ifs here than a discussion about what the Reserve Bank will do.

If Geelong is keen on Smith, it?s not what the club said on Wednesday. But trade moves by nature are a secret business at the best of times. Denials happen. Heaps of them.

The Dogs do have a jet backman coming through the ranks anyway, as Sam Darcy looks like a special talent.

He will be back in the team intercepting in the back half as soon as he is physically ready after a serious lung problem.

Smith will miss Thursday night?s clash against the Swans due to illness, and is expected back against Essendon in a blockbuster Friday night clash next week.

Finals spots will be on the line. The spotlight will be on Smith. And the position he plays.

Former Western Bulldogs and Richmond star Nathan Brown said the Bulldogs must return Smith to the engine room, where he produces his best footy.

?They have got it wrong where they are playing him,? Brown said on Triple M.

?He is a running machine and you have just got to let him loose, whether it is off half back or on the wing, he is a midfielder.

?He will play that role (forward) OK because he has been asked to play it.

?He didn?t play it well the other night because he had just had a poor game.

?But they are playing him in the wrong position.?

Grantysghost
12-07-2023, 04:32 PM
Ok that's a more informed article.

This is where the Treloar deal comes into question.

Lipinski defintely left due to that, now Baz has been pushed out by him.

We need to get on top of this quickly.

If he needs a change... Maybe play him in the guts.

We don't know the full story. I've got some insight, however it's certainly not a major issue.

We screw the pooch here I'll cry.

jeemak
12-07-2023, 04:38 PM
What role was he playing when he starred for us in the 2021 finals?

Axe Man
12-07-2023, 04:45 PM

I could be wrong but I thought it was pretty much the same one he is now struggling with and apparently being played out of position? We had Treloar plus Dunkley back then so I don't recall a great deal of midfield minutes on offer for him.

D Mitchell
12-07-2023, 04:46 PM
When Smith was recruited, I read, perhaps heard, somewhere, that he (Smith) reported that he still went to Sunday Mass and liked the discipline of it, that might even have been in his former school's magazine. I pictured a well groomed, introspective stoic of impeccable manner and politeness. Make of that what you will. Whatever, you can't fault his work rate, tenacity, pace and never-say-die. It's just occurred to me, maybe that's why Bev plays him at half forward, as an example. This is a bloke who's already starred in a finals series, at worst, appears to be going through a bad patch. Stringer, Dahlhaus, Lipinski, Dunkley, even Roughead haven't embarrassed us, Smith would. There's no way I'd even consider releasing him.

jeemak
12-07-2023, 04:49 PM
I could be wrong but I thought it was pretty much the same one he is now struggling with and apparently being played out of position? We had Treloar plus Dunkley back then so I don't recall a great deal of midfield minutes on offer for him.

Yeah that's what I thought.

So essentially we should change his role by keeping it exactly the same........

You could argue that Daniel could make to allow more midfield time for him.

Anyway, I'm firmly in the hold him to his contract camp. He owes us plenty.

bulldogtragic
12-07-2023, 04:52 PM
Barass for Bailey Smith. Doesn’t seem equal as being put forward here.

For overs, sure I’d at least hear the argument out. But Smith for Barass isn’t overs by a long shot. The offer needs to be overs, or he stays.

Mofra
12-07-2023, 05:07 PM
I called out the Smith and Sydney link mid last year. Not that we can prove it by looking at history. It makes sense on so many levels from a marketing front, non footy state, Sydney just get stuff done behind the scenes.
For a guy who (famously) was going to go untouched by any of the non-Vic clubs?
I guess things change - Dunks was only going to Sydney if a non-Vic club picked him at the draft - but the AFL would need to kick in one hell of an ambassador payment.

I'm more concerned at the Sydney approach to Naughton. They have history.

Grantysghost
12-07-2023, 05:52 PM

You know the answer.

azabob
12-07-2023, 07:05 PM
Now channel 9 have rolled out an article summarising what Sam edmund said on radio. Seriously FMD

I think my favourite bit is how he contradicts himself

Geelong are good at targeting players and getting them. The very next sentence except they missed out on Darcy Parish.

"But for mine, Geelong's track record in this space is very solid, we know that.
"When they set their sights on a player and lock in, history says they sell the vision and you know what I'm going to say next, the lifestyle, better than most.
"They had considered Darcy Parish, but all signs now point to him staying at Essendon."

bornadog
12-07-2023, 07:17 PM
Now channel 9 have rolled out an article summarising what Sam edmund said on radio. Seriously FMD

I think my favourite bit is how he contradicts himself

Geelong are good at targeting players and getting them. The very next sentence except they missed out on Darcy Parish.

"But for mine, Geelong's track record in this space is very solid, we know that.
"When they set their sights on a player and lock in, history says they sell the vision and you know what I'm going to say next, the lifestyle, better than most.
"They had considered Darcy Parish, but all signs now point to him staying at Essendon."

I heard a Bulldog supporter having a go at Edmund today, but Edmund just didn't get it and gave pathetic excuses why he went with the story. Jay Clark has now picked it up in HUN, and as you say Channel 9. All pathetic media outlets that don't have a clue about getting a proper story out and rely on either social media or a shock jock

kruder
12-07-2023, 07:21 PM
Clubs/Media see blood with the Dunkley saga still fresh in their memories, that scenario would give them hope.

The bulldog tragician
12-07-2023, 07:25 PM
This has got to be the most media-led brouhaha ever. No one is even trotting out the “sources close to Smith say” line. Kane Cornes lit a fuse, based on a couple of quietish but not outlandishly bad weeks and drawing a long bow about him running laps after a match. Bailey had a poor one last week, you could say he might have felt pressure to play though he was sick, just to not stoke the fire and seem to confirm there was an issue. Suddenly there are blaring headlines, when there could have been more legitimate questions about Lobb for example. Sometime the media genuinely break stories and sometimes they just break people in their frenetic desire to invent a story.

azabob
12-07-2023, 07:46 PM
Well summed up TBT, Cornes lit a fuse.

I must admit I read that entirely wrong and thought it was a well natured call. But seeing how it’s panned out in the following days has been nothing but pathetic.

jeemak
12-07-2023, 08:39 PM
Well summed up TBT, Cornes lit a fuse.

I must admit I read that entirely wrong and thought it was a well natured call. But seeing how it’s panned out in the following days has been nothing but pathetic.

With Ch9 owning The Age everything is coordinated to ensure stories build over a couple of weeks across the two platforms.

Grantysghost
12-07-2023, 09:22 PM
They know Bailey is popular.

That's pretty much the start and end of it.

Ride the socials wave.

He doesn't have to be on there.

Maybe decide if you want to be an AFL player or a 6 pack model.

FrediKanoute
12-07-2023, 09:36 PM
Yeah that's what I thought.

So essentially we should change his role by keeping it exactly the same........

You could argue that Daniel could make to allow more midfield time for him.

Anyway, I'm firmly in the hold him to his contract camp. He owes us plenty.

Except Daniel's ball use is AAA+ whilst Bailey Smith's is at best average. I would sooner have the ball in Caleb's hands than Smith's.

jeemak
12-07-2023, 09:39 PM
Except Daniel's ball use is AAA+ whilst Bailey Smith's is at best average. I would sooner have the ball in Caleb's hands than Smith's.

And that's probably fine. Bailey brings more burst, Daniel often goes back with hands instead of forward. If the balance was to shift I'd put it on him to tidy up his use otherwise he's back into the HHFF role.

azabob
13-07-2023, 07:36 AM
With Ch9 owning The Age everything is coordinated to ensure stories build over a couple of weeks across the two platforms.

Three platforms really as Cornes works for SEN also. There is the trifecta.

ledge
13-07-2023, 09:47 AM
The media go on about mental health and social media then throw articles like this out.
I have one for them they won’t even mention .. Wiederman at Essendon, the forward who hasn’t scored a goal since round 10 , lucky to touch the ball 4 times a game and still getting a game they don’t run that story . Rory Lobb doesn’t play forward much but he at least gives us a goal a game. But they go Lobb .
The media are an evil lot.

Grantysghost
03-08-2023, 05:49 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/2SgbDB30/Screenshot-20230803-174709.png (https://postimg.cc/sM9DPxYW)

The kid on the right.

Hotdog60
05-08-2023, 05:57 PM
What's up with Bailey?
Is he carrying something?
Last night he wasn't at his best fumbly, loosing his feet tripping over himself.
Would it be worth while to drop him back to the two's to gain some confidence although the media would be all over it and say he's gone at seasons end.
He's head just doesn't seem to be in it.

GVGjr
05-08-2023, 06:13 PM
What's up with Bailey?
Is he carrying something?
Last night he wasn't at his best fumbly, loosing his feet tripping over himself.
Would it be worth while to drop him back to the two's to gain some confidence although the media would be all over it and say he's gone at seasons end.
He's head just doesn't seem to be in it.

We are definitely not getting a lot out of him. Hard to know if he is battling injuries or is distracted but I'm told the club is exceptionally supportive with Baz.

D Mitchell
05-08-2023, 06:34 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/2SgbDB30/Screenshot-20230803-174709.png (https://postimg.cc/sM9DPxYW)

The kid on the right.

The bloke in the middle has to be Mitch Wallis.

bulldogtragic
13-08-2023, 03:42 PM
If Geelong have a top 10 pick…

The Bulldogs Bite
13-08-2023, 03:43 PM
I'd trade him for a top 20 pick.

Overrated in every way possible, can we stop making excuses for him?

bulldogtragic
13-08-2023, 03:45 PM
I'd trade him for a top 20 pick.

Overrated in every way possible, can we stop making excuses for him?

I’m with you. But I want Geelong’s first.

GVGjr
13-08-2023, 03:51 PM
I'll buck the trend here, I'm chips in on keeping Smith.

bulldogtragic
13-08-2023, 03:53 PM

In theory he’s great. But most of this year he’s looked somewhat disinterested and today looked liked he’s checked out. It might be the last best chance to trade him.

The Bulldogs Bite
13-08-2023, 03:54 PM

Why GVG?

I see a guy who is hard work to keep happy, with the main priority being his image. He's not improved his football or his flaws, in fact they've got worse. His tackling has become a real concern, his skills are deplorable.

I know he's the right 'age' and pace and endurance on paper look good, but we have too many names that look good on paper but under deliver. He's one we might be able to get something for, I'd make the move now.

GVGjr
13-08-2023, 03:56 PM
In theory he’s great. But most of this year he’s looked somewhat disinterested and today looked liked he’s checked out. It might be the last best chance to trade him.

Unless we don't think he can regain his focus and drive he still has the attributes that's hard to recruit in.
We've put a lot of support around him, we will know if it's something that can be fixed or if we should cut our losses.

bulldogtragic
13-08-2023, 03:58 PM
Unless we don't think he can regain his focus and drive he still has the attributes that's hard to recruit in.
We've put a lot of support around him, we will know if it's something that can be fixed or if we should cut our losses.

I’ll take the top 10 pick and move on. Move into GCS and have two top 9 picks and Croft. Hopefully Lohmann. Refresh or rebuild. Whatever you want to call it. We need some new blood.

GVGjr
13-08-2023, 03:58 PM
Why GVG?

I see a guy who is hard work to keep happy, with the main priority being his image. He's not improved his football or his flaws, in fact they've got worse. His tackling has become a real concern, his skills are deplorable.

I know he's the right 'age' and pace and endurance on paper look good, but we have too many names that look good on paper but under deliver. He's one we might be able to get something for, I'd make the move now.

All legit points but we've invested a lot in him and as I just detailed we will know if he can regain form or not for next year.
We won't get someone willing to pay overs for his services unless it's related to him being unhappy at our club and I don't think that's it. If we think he can regain it we should stick with him.

azabob
13-08-2023, 03:59 PM
My biggest frustration today was he was so fumbly in the contest. Hardly seemed to take the ball at the first opportunity and always second grabbed.

bulldogtragic
13-08-2023, 04:00 PM
My biggest frustration today was he was so fumbly in the contest. Hardly seemed to take the ball at the first opportunity and always second grabbed.

Doesn’t fumble and Libba isn’t KO’d.

Grantysghost
13-08-2023, 04:01 PM
Smith we can't let go.

He's really battling though.

GVGjr
13-08-2023, 04:10 PM

He's had a poor last 3 or 4 weeks in that regard.

Hotdog60
13-08-2023, 04:16 PM
I mention last week we should drop him and get his head back in the game in the two's he is a liability at the moment and I'm 50/50 if we should hang on to him.

azabob
13-08-2023, 04:23 PM
If Geelong have a top 10 pick…

Yeah, but, the whole Croft conundrum. Won’t the pick get eaten up by it?

Do we risk a future first or target a player like Max Holmes and a future 2nd or future 3rd.

bulldogtragic
13-08-2023, 04:24 PM
Yeah, but, the whole Croft conundrum. Won’t the pick get eaten up by it?

Do we risk a future first or target a player like Max Holmes and a future 2nd or future 3rd.

If Geelong miss finals, we should be fine to take it in.

lemmon
13-08-2023, 04:42 PM
Serious lack of intensity when he doesn't have the ball in hand was telling today. The worst part is we saw him do it against the Bombers, so it's all choice.

I really rate Bailey, but that's nowhere near good enough.

bulldogtragic
27-08-2023, 09:44 PM
Do you think we ever see Smith in the RWB ever again?

bulldogsthru&thru
27-08-2023, 09:49 PM

Wouldn't bother me if we didn't tbh.

The Bulldogs Bite
27-08-2023, 09:51 PM

Happy to see him go

kruder
27-08-2023, 09:53 PM
Smith isn't the issue, lets back the kid in.

bulldogsthru&thru
27-08-2023, 10:03 PM
Whether it's Smith or the environment he's in, we'll never know if we make no changes. His symptoms on the field aren't exactly uncommon amongst other players. But as a club we'll probably be content to make Rohan Smith the fall guy for everything so we probably won't find out unless Bailey asks for a trade.

GVGjr
27-08-2023, 10:55 PM

I do, I don't think clubs will be chasing that hard for him and while he might always be a high maintenance type players with his ability aren't that easy to find. If he puts his hand up to leave then it's a different story.

angelopetraglia
28-08-2023, 08:24 AM
Tom Morris reporting that Bailey Smith will not request a trade. https://twitter.com/1116sen/status/1695921678956781688?s=20

azabob
28-08-2023, 08:42 AM
Tom Morris reporting that Bailey Smith will not request a trade. https://twitter.com/1116sen/status/1695921678956781688?s=20

Not request a trade "this week" he then went on to allude he could still request a trade.

chef
28-08-2023, 08:43 AM
Bit disappointed as it's the right time to cash in for mine.

hujsh
28-08-2023, 10:16 AM
Bit disappointed as it's the right time to cash in for mine.

Don't be. I'm not sure if trading him is the right move but if you want to trade him you have to start from the position that 'he's untouchable. A young gun mid who has dominated cut-throat finals about to come into the prime of his powers. To even consider trading him with a year left on his contract we'd require at minimum a top 10 pick and at least another pick in the top 20.'

Bullies
28-08-2023, 03:44 PM
Tom Morris reporting that Bailey Smith will not request a trade. https://twitter.com/1116sen/status/1695921678956781688?s=20 Manager would have said you have another year left on your contract so hang in there and tear it up next year to increase your $$$ worth. At the moment there maybe a few clubs hesitant paying the big $$$ with his health/form.

kruder
28-08-2023, 07:09 PM
Caroline Wilson going with Smith wont be at the bulldogs next year. It was on 9 news expect update on FC tonight.

GVGjr
28-08-2023, 07:12 PM
Caroline Wilson going with Smith wont be at the bulldogs next year. It was on 9 news expect update on FC tonight.

The heat is coming to us early.. I hope she is wrong.

angelopetraglia
28-08-2023, 07:13 PM
Here is the clip

"I don't expect Bailey Smith to be at the Western Bulldogs next year" - Caroline Wilson says a number of clubs are chasing the young star.

https://twitter.com/FootyonNine/status/1696084359529345116?s=20

kruder
28-08-2023, 07:24 PM
The heat is coming to us early.. I hope she is wrong.

Caro is generally the best in the business at this stuff, sad indeed if true. Smith,West and maybe Gallagher are the only young promising mids on our list. We deserve the heat thats for sure.

Grantysghost
28-08-2023, 07:27 PM
How can we back the coach if our two best young mids request trades two years in a row?

Something's broken.

Bullies
28-08-2023, 07:27 PM
Caro is generally the best in the business at this stuff, sad indeed if true. Smith,West and maybe Gallagher are the only young promising mids on our list. We deserve the heat thats for sure. As much as people despise her she is usually on the money. Smith's Manager probably gave her permission to get the ball rolling. If Smith is staying he needs to come out and say it.

bulldogtragic
28-08-2023, 07:29 PM
Geelong pick 7. Sold!

bulldogtragic
28-08-2023, 07:32 PM
How can we back the coach if our two best young mids request trades two years in a row?

Something's broken.

Maybe the coach is the problem! Among many.

angelopetraglia
28-08-2023, 07:32 PM
As much as people despise her she is usually on the money. Smith's Manager probably gave her permission to get the ball rolling. If Smith is staying he needs to come out and say it.

Tom Morris is contradicting her today. Who knows. But there is too much speculation for there not to be somethign in it. Agree we need to hear from Smith. If he was 100% committted and it was all garbage. Surely he would get his manager or he would make a statement.

jeemak
28-08-2023, 07:38 PM

Something's broken.

Both want to be the main men.

angelopetraglia
28-08-2023, 07:41 PM
Is it as simple that Bevo has backed in Bont, Libba and Terloar as he starting midfield and they have really monopolised time in the midfield and CBA?

When Treloar was injured Smith had 37 touches against the Crows and 30 touches against the Blues (most on the ground) and was a deciding factor in that last 15 minutes.

Against the Crows and Blues he was almost equal for CBAs. When Treloar came back in for his first game against Geelong he was regulated to about 1/3rd the big three mids were getting. He is probably thinking, I have almost been best on two weeks in a row. Adz comes back and now I'm shoved into a secondary role?

So he drops from 30+ touches to around ~20 between the two roles. That is a big impact on him persoally, his brand and potential future contract. Is that it? Or is there more to it?

Is having one dimensional midfield players who really don't have the versaility to play other positions (e.g. Libba and Treloar, probably Macrae in that mix too) impacting our ability to give young and emerging talent midfield time? Or is Smith just a sook?

Grantysghost
28-08-2023, 07:53 PM
Both want to be the main men.

You have to sell that vision whilst they wait surely?

Treloar is 30+

GVGjr
28-08-2023, 07:56 PM
Geelong pick 7. Sold!

Can they actually trade it? Currently they have pick 7 which will move to 9+
They have no 2nd, 3rd and I think even a 4th rounder this year
I thought there was rule about the number of trades you can have for 1st and 2nd round picks?

bulldogtragic
28-08-2023, 08:00 PM
Can they actually trade it? Currently they have pick 7 which will move to 9+
They have no 2nd, 3rd and I think even a 4th rounder this year
I thought there was rule about the number of trades you can have for 1st and 2nd round picks?

That’s only for future picks I believe.

You can future trade either your first or your other picks. But not both.

jazzadogs
28-08-2023, 08:03 PM
Smith's positioning at centre bounces is generally horrible. He's not alone and I know people will argue that the three regular mids are just as bad...but he doesn't do enough defensively for mine, and that would be why he dropped out of the mix.

I absolutely agree that no CBAs is why he wants out...but I can also see why the coaches have been reluctant.

Also his disposal is bottom 50 in the comp. Limp handballs and overcooked kicks.

There's a big part of me that doesn't want to lose him (genuine matchwinner in the 2021 finals!) but I can also see him having an unfulfilled Stringer-esque career.

jazzadogs
28-08-2023, 08:04 PM
Only if they have used enough over the past few years. I think the pick 7 with Bowes last year would allow them to trade away this year.

bulldogtragic
28-08-2023, 08:08 PM
Only if they have used enough over the past few years. I think the pick 7 with Bowes last year would allow them to trade away this year.

They pass the two in four rule.

azabob
28-08-2023, 08:11 PM
Mitch Cleary running with Hawks also interested.

Grantysghost
28-08-2023, 08:12 PM
Hawks pick is more juicy.

Their first. Bailey and something else maybe the Dunkley pick?

Be something like :

Smith, pick 17 out
Pick 3 in before moves make it 4

bulldogtragic
28-08-2023, 08:12 PM
Mitch Cleary running with Hawks also interested.

Did I say sold for Pick 7.

Sold to the new bidder at Pick 3!

hujsh
28-08-2023, 08:13 PM
I won't cry if somehow we turn Smith and English into 3 picks inside the top 10. Smith can be good and he can be frustrating and the same is true of English. The prospect of bringing in real top end talent to replace the likes of Libba/Treloar more naturally and then Croft as our last pick could potentially have us in the top 4 within 3 years (while Bont is still Bonting)