PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the Bulldogs: Bailey Smith

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12

Grantysghost
28-08-2023, 09:14 PM
Mitch Cleary running with Hawks also interested.

He's a Hawks man Bailey.

Grantysghost
28-08-2023, 09:14 PM
Did I say sold for Pick 7.

Sold to the new bidder at Pick 3!

No way they're doing pick 3 on its own BT

bulldogtragic
28-08-2023, 09:16 PM
I won't cry if somehow we turn Smith and English into 3 picks inside the top 10. Smith can be good and he can be frustrating and the same is true of English. The prospect of bringing in real top end talent to replace the likes of Libba/Treloar more naturally and then Croft as our last pick could potentially have us in the top 4 within 3 years (while Bont is still Bonting)

I’d be thrilled. It’s the super fast track rebuild that dogs fans would love!

bulldogtragic
28-08-2023, 09:18 PM

No. Giving a later first back.

GVGjr
28-08-2023, 09:21 PM

I can't see themselves giving up the pick no matter what. McKercher or Duursma will be right in their range.
They might deal their 2nd rounder (29) which was originally ours and perhaps a F1 or F2.

bulldogtragic
28-08-2023, 09:23 PM
I can't see themselves giving up the pick no matter what. McKercher or Duursma will be right in their range.
They might deal their 2nd rounder (29) which was originally ours and perhaps a F1 or F2.

Don’t they need points from 29 for McCabe? As a first rounder bid likely and not a lot of points.

They either downgrade the first or hope we fold like a cheap suit for a F1. If they want him.

GVGjr
28-08-2023, 09:30 PM
Good point BT.

Grantysghost

That's a hard no then.

angelopetraglia
Hawthorn emerge as a contender for Western Bulldogs superstar Bailey Smith should he request a trade
Mitch Cleary

Hawthorn will pursue Western Bulldogs midfielder Bailey Smith should he request a trade away from Whitten Oval this off-season.

7NEWS understands the Hawks are among the clubs to have registered a keen interest in the 22-year-old.

Smith, a Hawks diehard before he was drafted to the Bulldogs, is set for his scheduled exit meeting with the club on Tuesday.

The former No.7 pick has one year remaining on his contract with the Western Bulldogs for 2024.

The Hawks have shown an aggressive approach to rebuild under coach Sam Mitchell and will be out to entertain an offer for Smith should he express a desire to leave the Kennel.

Mitchell’s side is currently armed with picks 3, 29 and 48 at this year’s national draft.

Smith is yet to provide any undertaking that he will request a trade, however rival clubs remain on high alert as to his movements ahead of October’s trade period.

The Western Bulldogs remain adamant Smith will not be traded.

“(We) obviously always understand the interest in someone with Bailey’s profile, he’s contracted for next year, so as far as we’re concerned, that’s that,” CEO Ameet Bains told 7NEWS on Saturday before the Dogs’ finals game of the season.

The Dogs held a similar line on Josh Dunkley at the end of 2021 and refused to trade the then-contracted midfielder despite his desire to move to Essendon.

Dunkley got his wish to leave the club 12 months later upon falling out of contract, landing at Brisbane.

Geelong is another club that has consistently been linked to Smith throughout 2023. Cotton On is a key sponsor of the Cats and a personal sponsor of the young midfielder.

After a breakout 2021 finals series and impressive 2022 campaign, Smith’s form has fluctuated throughout this season.

Making his name as a midfielder, Smith has been asked to play various roles throughout the Dogs’ disappointing year, including as a forward.

Smith missed the Dogs’ final game of the season against Geelong on Saturday through gastro.

angelopetraglia
28-08-2023, 09:32 PM
"The Dogs held a similar line on Josh Dunkley at the end of 2021 and refused to trade the then-contracted midfielder despite his desire to move to Essendon." - Cleary

How can you trust anything these journos say when they get basic facts wrong? Seriously. We are not talking about serious people here.

bulldogtragic
28-08-2023, 09:35 PM
"The Dogs held a similar line on Josh Dunkley at the end of 2021 and refused to trade the then-contracted midfielder despite his desire to move to Essendon." - Cleary

How can you trust anything these journos say when they get basic facts wrong? Seriously. We are not talking about serious people here.

Or it’s a typo.

angelopetraglia
28-08-2023, 09:39 PM
Or it?s a typo.

How is it a typo?

"Dunkley got his wish to leave the club 12 months later upon falling out of contract, landing at Brisbane." - Cleary.

Please. It is incompetance. You get basic facts wrong, yet you want us to believe your "stories" from "sources".

Not serious people.

bulldogtragic
28-08-2023, 09:42 PM
How is it a typo?

"Dunkley got his wish to leave the club 12 months later upon falling out of contract, landing at Brisbane." - Cleary.

Please. It is incompetance.

If he’s out by a year, they doesn’t invalidate the rest as proof absolute. Whatever happens, there’s a lot of smoke right now.

angelopetraglia
28-08-2023, 09:45 PM
If he’s out by a year, they doesn’t invalidate the rest as proof absolute. Whatever happens, there’s a lot of smoke right now.

I'm not disputing there is smoke. But how can a professional football journalist get something like that wrong? It is a big difference. He played two years with us after requesting the trade including the 2021 Grand Final.

All it takes is a Google search. He would have also covered it and lived it. So for him to get it so wrong is mind boggling.

Serious people, doing serious things don't make mistakes like that. Yet we hang off every word they say (the fooball loving public). Probably says more about us than them to be honest.

Grantysghost
28-08-2023, 09:48 PM
I'm not disputing there is smoke. But how can a professional football journalist get something like that wrong? It is a big difference. He played two years with us after requesting the trade including the 2021 Grand Final.

All it takes is a Google search. He would have also covered it and lived it. So for him to get it so wrong is mind boggling.

Serious people, doing serious things don't make mistakes like that. Yet we hang off every word they say (the fooball loving public). Probably says more about us than them to be honest.

They send the copy overseas. Stuff up from them id guess.

Hotdog60
28-08-2023, 09:48 PM
If the hawks are real keen is there a player around the same age we would want without being too ridiculous plus a first round pick.

bulldogtragic
28-08-2023, 09:51 PM
If the hawks are real keen is there a player around the same age we would want without being too ridiculous plus a first round pick.

Grainger-Barass was a recent high pick and has struggled for games. I think someone mentioned his name the other week.

Hotdog60
28-08-2023, 09:52 PM
It wouldn't bother me if Smith went I kinda worry about his head space in the AFL environment.

angelopetraglia
28-08-2023, 09:53 PM
Jon Ralph
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afl-trade-news-hawthorn-express-interest-in-bailey-smith-darcy-parish-set-to-commit-to-essendon/news-story/978d8583fe5cb0c93f989a330f9391ba

On Monday reports emerged Hawthorn would be a potential suitor, while Geelong has interest in securing him to bolster their midfield.

But the Dogs position is clear — under no circumstances would they trade Smith even if he made clear he was keen for a fresh start.

The Dogs believe he is part of their long-term future, is in a position they are keen to bolster in coming years and has rarely or ever fallen out of selection favour.

While it is no secret Smith would like to play more minutes as a pure midfielder or even centre-square mid, he has often been played at half forward this year.

But the Dogs believe it is the same position where he displayed such slashing form in the 2021 finals series, with the Dogs pushing a high half forward like Smith up to the stoppages to play as an extra midfielder.

Smith is also aware he will need to have the pre-season of his life to force his way into the midfield while also focusing on his defensive run and kicking.

Western Bulldogs list boss Sam Power has skilfully built the club’s list but with a reputation of standing his ground in negotiations with player managers.

He would not relent on trading Josh Dunkley three seasons ago unless the club secured two first-round picks from Essendon, with the deal eventually falling over.

Dunkley eventually departed last year for a suite of picks from Brisbane.

But if Smith does eventually want to leave Whitten Oval at the end of next year, doing so as an uncontracted player would give him a range of options not available as a contracted player.

With the trade period five weeks away the Dogs are keen to shut down speculation about Smith’s status instead of allowing it to simmer.

Smith has his exit interview on Tuesday at Whitten Oval with coach Luke Beveridge as the club digests a 12-11 season that saw them miss the finals.

The Dogs will start the draft order with two first-round picks — their own and the Brisbane Lions selection.

They would love to trade those selections for an early pick to take a young midfielder in another indication of their desire to bolster their midfield.

Athletic father-son forward Jordan Croft could secure a bid in the mid-teens given his talents, so the Dogs would ideally prefer to take a selection before they match that selection with points from later selections.

bulldogsthru&thru
28-08-2023, 09:53 PM
I?d be thrilled. It?s the super fast track rebuild that dogs fans would love!

I love your trade ideas. What the club actually does is less thrilling. Wait for a future 1st from hawks with us giving a future 2nd back or some garbage like that. We'll top off a magnificent trade period by recruiting Henry and Tomlinson.

angelopetraglia
28-08-2023, 09:54 PM
"Smith is also aware he will need to have the pre-season of his life to force his way into the midfield while also focusing on his defensive run and kicking."

There should be pressure to play in the key positions on the ground. Good. Do the work. Or you can leave.

Grantysghost
28-08-2023, 09:55 PM
"Smith is also aware he will need to have the pre-season of his life to force his way into the midfield while also focusing on his defensive run and kicking."

There should be pressure to play in the key positions on the ground. Good. Do the work. Or you can leave.

That's never been in question with him.

angelopetraglia
28-08-2023, 09:55 PM
"He would not relent on trading Josh Dunkley three seasons ago unless the club secured two first-round picks from Essendon, with the deal eventually falling over."

At least Ralph knows his football history.

angelopetraglia
28-08-2023, 09:58 PM
That's never been in question with him.

He needs to get himself right. He took a break away from the club in the pre-season last year. He needs to be in a position to apply himself mentally and physcially to the task at hand. The club has backed him in 100% throughout the challenges he has had off field.

azabob
28-08-2023, 10:01 PM
Grainger-Barass was a recent high pick and has struggled for games. I think someone mentioned his name the other week.

Massive massive pass on DGB.

Hotdog60
28-08-2023, 10:05 PM
If player interviews start on Tuesday do they get told in that meeting their time at the club is over?
Not related to Smith but other players.

angelopetraglia
28-08-2023, 10:07 PM
If player interviews start on Tuesday do they get told in that meeting their time at the club is over?
Not related to Smith but other players.

The normally find out intention.

e.g. You will be offered a contract. We will wait until after the trade/draft season. We will see what we can get at the trade table. Some type of a heads up normally.

bulldogtragic
28-08-2023, 10:09 PM
Massive massive pass on DGB.

I can’t recall seeing him play. So happy to take that. Ideally a swap of 3 for 10 and a F1 for F3.

lemmon
28-08-2023, 10:14 PM
For what it's worth, this is what Baz whacked on Instagram tonight.

angelopetraglia
28-08-2023, 10:15 PM
For what it's worth, this is what Baz whacked on Instagram tonight.

Ha. Preseason has already started. He wants that starting midfield spot.

bulldogtragic
28-08-2023, 10:17 PM
Ha. Preseason has already started. He wants that starting midfield spot.

Did he type that? And deny the trade talk. I can’t see it properly.

angelopetraglia
28-08-2023, 10:19 PM

He actually wrote on the post for what it is worth "someone gotta"

bulldogtragic
28-08-2023, 10:20 PM
He actually wrote on the post for what it is worth "someone gotta"

What’s that mean? In context if the photo.

lemmon
28-08-2023, 10:22 PM

Sorry - not a great quality image. Bailey's been out training tonight - it's a picture of some boots, cones and footys out on a ground somewhere with a caption reading 'somone gotta'.

angelopetraglia
28-08-2023, 10:24 PM

It could mean many things. Feels like a very complex young man Bailey still finding his place in this big wide world.

bulldogtragic
28-08-2023, 10:25 PM
Sorry - not a great qualtiy image. Bailey's been out training tonight - it's a picture of some boots, cones and footys out on a ground somewhere with a caption reading 'somone gotta'.

Cryptic AF.

Is he pumping himself up. Or indicating our guys aren’t because we ain’t playing finals. Or along Dunkley lines we aren’t serious enough?

lemmon
28-08-2023, 10:26 PM

My reading of the caption is it's pretty light-hearted - 'someone's gotta do it' - as in 'it's a tough job, but someone's gotta do it'. There's also a nice sunset going on, so reckon he's being a bit ironic.

This has become a bad year 8 English image analysis task.

Grantysghost
28-08-2023, 10:28 PM
Just a kid who likes running around.

Probably prefers it on his own.

I was the same, a couple of footballs and an oval to myself is all I need in life.

angelopetraglia
28-08-2023, 10:29 PM
My reading of the caption is it's pretty light-hearted - 'someone's gotta do it' - as in 'it's a tough job, but someone's gotta do it'. There's also a nice sunset going on, so reckon he's being a bit ironic.

Ha. I read it like that too.

bulldogtragic
28-08-2023, 10:32 PM

What does the run represent? Bevo? His future. The universal struggle between good and evil?

And the boots? What is he waking on?

hujsh
28-08-2023, 10:50 PM
Did Wingard like the post?

bulldogtragic
28-08-2023, 10:55 PM
Jon Ralph
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afl-trade-news-hawthorn-express-interest-in-bailey-smith-darcy-parish-set-to-commit-to-essendon/news-story/978d8583fe5cb0c93f989a330f9391ba

On Monday reports emerged Hawthorn would be a potential suitor, while Geelong has interest in securing him to bolster their midfield.

But the Dogs position is clear ? under no circumstances would they trade Smith even if he made clear he was keen for a fresh start.

The Dogs believe he is part of their long-term future, is in a position they are keen to bolster in coming years and has rarely or ever fallen out of selection favour.

While it is no secret Smith would like to play more minutes as a pure midfielder or even centre-square mid, he has often been played at half forward this year.

But the Dogs believe it is the same position where he displayed such slashing form in the 2021 finals series, with the Dogs pushing a high half forward like Smith up to the stoppages to play as an extra midfielder.

Smith is also aware he will need to have the pre-season of his life to force his way into the midfield while also focusing on his defensive run and kicking.

Western Bulldogs list boss Sam Power has skilfully built the club?s list but with a reputation of standing his ground in negotiations with player managers.

He would not relent on trading Josh Dunkley three seasons ago unless the club secured two first-round picks from Essendon, with the deal eventually falling over.

Dunkley eventually departed last year for a suite of picks from Brisbane.

But if Smith does eventually want to leave Whitten Oval at the end of next year, doing so as an uncontracted player would give him a range of options not available as a contracted player.

With the trade period five weeks away the Dogs are keen to shut down speculation about Smith?s status instead of allowing it to simmer.

Smith has his exit interview on Tuesday at Whitten Oval with coach Luke Beveridge as the club digests a 12-11 season that saw them miss the finals.

The Dogs will start the draft order with two first-round picks ? their own and the Brisbane Lions selection.

They would love to trade those selections for an early pick to take a young midfielder in another indication of their desire to bolster their midfield.

Athletic father-son forward Jordan Croft could secure a bid in the mid-teens given his talents, so the Dogs would ideally prefer to take a selection before they match that selection with points from later selections.

This story by Ralphy has been updated an hour ago to read:

The Western Bulldogs will hold the line on retaining contracted forward Bailey Smith next year with the talented midfielder aware the club has no intention of trading him.

Smith is keen to play more midfield time and would be open to a trade if one could be brokered despite playing 103 games in five rollercoaster seasons with the Western Bulldogs.

bulldogtragic
28-08-2023, 11:00 PM
Someone has told Ralphy he’s prepared to be traded tonight. After the first version ran. Interesting period ahead to speak to Ralphy tonight.

angelopetraglia
28-08-2023, 11:01 PM
I think we will learn a lot more in the next few days. Especially post review. The club will not want this to be a constant distraction.

angelopetraglia
28-08-2023, 11:04 PM
It is interesing. Didn't English run a similar campaign to secure the position on the field he wanted (first ruck and not fowrard/ruck which from memory even Bevo once referenced)

Is Baeiley Smith doing something similar?

Whatever the truth is. It doesn't look good for the club.

angelopetraglia
28-08-2023, 11:16 PM
Caroline Wilson

"There is huge frustration with Bailey Smith, he is on a huge amount of money, he is clearly a very high maintenace player, several clubs looking at him pies, hawks and cats."

MrMahatma
28-08-2023, 11:19 PM
Hope he stays.

soupman
28-08-2023, 11:28 PM

Think Hawks have lots of good young guys worth looking at. Whether or not they part with them though...

Fwiw DGB is not one of the good ones.

The maybe gettable guys i like would be;
-Lachlan Bramble, a smooth running wing type who I imagine would have great metres gained and is maybe a bit Bailey Dale esque. -Connor MacDonald who is basically the half forward we want Garcia to be.

azabob
29-08-2023, 08:40 AM
Someone has told Ralphy he’s prepared to be traded tonight. After the first version ran. Interesting period ahead to speak to Ralphy tonight.

Damn. So a lot has happened since I logged off last night.

azabob
29-08-2023, 08:41 AM
It is interesing. Didn't English run a similar campaign to secure the position on the field he wanted (first ruck and not fowrard/ruck which from memory even Bevo once referenced)

Is Baeiley Smith doing something similar?

Whatever the truth is. It doesn't look good for the club.

Yes, but don't tell others as some don't like that narrative.

bulldogtragic
29-08-2023, 08:52 AM
Yes, but don't tell others as some don't like that narrative.

I think it’s great having a group of individuals demanding where they play (KPF, 1st ruck, midfield) in a team environment. Seems there’s plenty of I’s in this team.

azabob
29-08-2023, 09:00 AM
I think it’s great having a group of individuals demanding where they play (KPF, 1st ruck, midfield) in a team environment. Seems there’s plenty of I’s in this team.

Yep I said a very similar point in the Sharp Axes thread on Sunday. Makes me also think that the whole Naughton/Bontempelli has some semblance of truth to it.

hujsh
29-08-2023, 09:01 AM
Yep I said a very similar point in the Sharp Axes thread on Sunday. Makes me also think that the whole Naughton/Bontempelli has some semblance of truth to it.
What’s that one?

GVGjr
29-08-2023, 11:02 AM
What’s that one?

There was some speculation that when Bruce went down at Ballarat, Bont told Naughton to go back until they heard from the coaches and Naughton ignored that.
Just speculation but you would hope that Naughton would follow the captains request until hearing from the coaches.

Mantis
29-08-2023, 11:03 AM
What’s that one?

Story goes that in the GWS game (when we had injuries in the backline) before a directive came from the box Bont asked Naughts to go to defence and he refused.

bornadog
29-08-2023, 11:56 AM
According to Sam Edmund, Smith's manager gave an iron clad assurance to the club, Smith won't be asking for a trade this trade period.

Grantysghost
29-08-2023, 12:00 PM
According to Sam Edmund, Smith's manager gave an iron clad assurance to the club, Smith won't be asking for a trade this trade period.

Beautiful

Sedat
29-08-2023, 12:14 PM
All this wildly differing Bailey Smith talk from a bunch of low-rent scribes just reinforces to me how much it blows not being in the September conversation.

bornadog
29-08-2023, 12:30 PM
Beautiful

He has now tweeted it:

Sam Edmund

@Sammy__Edmund
The Western Bulldogs were given assurances on Friday by Bailey Smith's management that the midfielder would definitely be staying at the Whitten Oval for what is - at the moment - the final year of his contract. The Cats interest is real & the Dogs have been anxious, but this was the clearest sign they've received that Smith is staying put.

He had to add the last bit to cover his arse from his previous so called info.

At least this is coming from Smith's manager.

bornadog
29-08-2023, 12:34 PM
More tweets

Laura Spurway @laura_spurway

Just spoke with Adam Treloar, he’s confirmed he wants to see out his career at the
@westernbulldogs & says Bailey Smith loves playing there too, hasn’t indicated he will leave
@7NewsMelbourne

azabob
29-08-2023, 12:35 PM

The irony is Sam Edmund started all this bullshit talk about Bailey Smith wanting out...now he is the one ruling it out. GTFOH

bornadog
29-08-2023, 12:42 PM
The irony is Sam Edmund started all this bullshit talk about Bailey Smith wanting out...now he is the one ruling it out. GTFOH

He started by saying Geelong wanted him - well any club looking for a young mid would want him. It was a stupid thing to say.

Player manager has to now come out with a statement. They don't take into consideration the effect it has on players, and their families and their mental health.

lemmon
29-08-2023, 12:58 PM
He started by saying Geelong wanted him - well any club looking for a young mid would want him. It was a stupid thing to say.

Player manager has to now come out with a statement. They don't take into consideration the effect it has on players, and their families and their mental health.

Connor Sports has put out a statement? Where's that?

Vred
29-08-2023, 01:00 PM
Said it once, will say it again.
Smith ain't going anywhere, his got his demons but we all do, kid needs a huge amount of mental support.
Smith moving has been nothing but media beating their drums, half the clubs out their would be ''interested'' if the opportunity arose.

Media making up shit because his had a down year and trying to make a story out of nothing, back him in and watch him go to the next level next year.

hujsh
29-08-2023, 01:04 PM
Said it once, will say it again.
Smith ain't going anywhere, his got his demons but we all do, kid needs a huge amount of mental support.
Smith moving has been nothing but media beating their drums, half the clubs out their would be ''interested'' if the opportunity arose.

Media making up shit because his had a down year and trying to make a story out of nothing, back him in and watch him go to the next level next year.

I said earlier I wouldn't be upset if the price is right... but this would make me happier

bornadog
29-08-2023, 01:05 PM
Connor Sports has put out a statement? Where's that?

Sorry not written, apparently has spoken to the club.

azabob
29-08-2023, 01:11 PM

So what you are saying is I am correct?

Reality is Sam Edmund put this on the agenda to begin with pure and simple.

bornadog
29-08-2023, 01:14 PM
So what you are saying is I am correct?

Reality is Sam Edmund put this on the agenda to begin with pure and simple.

true

GVGjr
29-08-2023, 01:36 PM
It's interesting to watch how some in the media have their motives and integrity questioned when they report something we don't want to read and then embrace them when they say something that works our way.

I do think he has this one right though.

bulldogsthru&thru
29-08-2023, 01:40 PM
Him wanting to stay for the final year of his contract doesn't really change anything for me. The real question is will he sign an extension soon? Him leaving next year is 100 times worse than this year.

Grantysghost
29-08-2023, 01:43 PM
It's interesting to watch how some in the media have their motives and integrity questioned when they report something we don't want to read and then embrace them when they say something that works our way.

It's almost like there's another, more important reason they're toying with the populous and getting the most air out of a factually tenuous position G!

chef
29-08-2023, 01:48 PM
Unless hes signing a contract this summer just sounds like hes seeing out his contract at the Dogs. Doing what Dunkley did.

bulldogtragic
29-08-2023, 01:53 PM
Unless hes signing a contract this summer just sounds like hes seeing out his contract at the Dogs. Doing what Dunkley did.

That ended up brilliantly… He should re-sign now or move him on. Some nothing picks next year or the year after ain’t going to do much to help the list.

bornadog
29-08-2023, 02:18 PM

The first was a rumour with nothing to back it up, the second was quoting a player manager.

Grantysghost
29-08-2023, 02:20 PM

Hmm. Hope not.

jazzadogs
29-08-2023, 02:20 PM
That ended up brilliantly… He should re-sign now or move him on. Some nothing picks next year or the year after ain’t going to do much to help the list.

Yeh it screams of "I'm not going to ask for a trade, but I would quite like a trade if YOU chose to do that".

Boots
29-08-2023, 02:23 PM
Hard to see how he’s still on the list in 2025. We’d better find some new mids somewhere.

bulldogtragic
29-08-2023, 02:29 PM
Yeh it screams of "I'm not going to ask for a trade, but I would quite like a trade if YOU chose to do that".

He could end the speculation yesterday if he wanted to. And make all the journos look like fools in the process. Perhaps he chooses to shut this all down after his review today. But until he does, I’m thinking this isn’t over this year. All he needs to do is tell his Insta followers he wants to stay for the long term and is trying to work out a long term extension. If he doesn’t want the circus that’s happening to him by the media now, then shut them all up and make them look silly with simply one Insta post.

mjp
29-08-2023, 02:41 PM
He could end the speculation yesterday if he wanted to.

But why does he have to do that?

#1: Bailey Smith being in the news is good for Bailey Smith...let the speculation roll on and keep him f+c in the media even when not playing...just smart business in his business.

#2: He doesn't actually need to say anything - he has a contract AND his management will (no doubt) have been talking to other clubs about their level of interest...him speaking out now can only make him sound dishonest later if 'things' change.

I just think commentating on it AT ALL is zero win for him...he should just go on holidays and relax.

GVGjr
29-08-2023, 02:47 PM
The speculation and chat will continue despite some media reporting that he isn't requesting a trade.
I'm not sure if the club would be better served by getting on the front foot and addressing it by saying that we have discussed the rumours with Bailey and his manager and they have confirmed that there will be no trade request.
Hard to say if that would stop the speculation or not.

Sedat
29-08-2023, 02:52 PM

#1: Bailey Smith being in the news is good for Bailey Smith...let the speculation roll on and keep him f+c in the media even when not playing...just smart business in his business.

#2: He doesn't actually need to say anything - he has a contract AND his management will (no doubt) have been talking to other clubs about their level of interest...him speaking out now can only make him sound dishonest later if 'things' change.

I just think commentating on it AT ALL is zero win for him...he should just go on holidays and relax.
Yep, it's much better to be talked about and hated than to be ignored. Think of Bailey Smith as a brand (and he very much is)......the former scenario significantly enhances his brand profile and reach/recall, whereas there is basically no brand recognition whatsoever with the latter scenario - he would be as forgettable as one of Dunkley's bland tortillas

lemmon
29-08-2023, 02:52 PM
The first was a rumour with nothing to back it up, the second was quoting a player manager.

Is this referring to the Edmund tweet? What part of that has a quote from Smith's manager?

Connor Sports could come out and quash the rumour in the same way that Tim Hazell did for Treloar - they haven't done that.

Everything we're reading from Edmund, Ralph, Cleary and Caro is based on drip feedings from their sources/potential speculation/who knows what else - you can make your own decision on what's credible and what isn't, but let's not pretend Edmund's tweet actually contains concrete info like a 'quote from a player manager' just because it aligns with the narrative we'd prefer to believe.

bulldogtragic
29-08-2023, 02:53 PM

Well. When you put it like that! :D

Grantysghost
29-08-2023, 02:57 PM
The speculation and chat will continue despite some media reporting that he isn't requesting a trade.
I'm not sure if the club would be better served by getting on the front foot and addressing it by saying that we have discussed the rumours with Bailey and his manager and they have confirmed that there will be no trade request.
Hard to say if that would stop the speculation or not.

I'd prefer the club to address it with Bailey and his manager.
Signing on or not? If not... You're on the market when you're worth more.

mjp
29-08-2023, 03:03 PM

But again, why would the club comment apart from saying something like "Hey - we love Bailey - he's awesome!". Yes. FULL. STOP.

Saying anything else just creates problems. If you say 'you hope he stays' well, that makes it harder if in the future you decide to negotiate a trade. Essentially anything you say can be thrown back at you...and whilst the circumstances (at least on the surface) SEEM to be very different, surely we have learnt from the Stringer situation where we effectively came out and said "Jake Stringer...yeah, NAAHHHHHHH...anyone want him 'cos we sure don't!" in trade week.

Just zip it. Pull down the cone of silence. Work on all possibilities in the background and say nuthin to no-one!

meenies
29-08-2023, 03:24 PM
There was some speculation that when Bruce went down at Ballarat, Bont told Naughton to go back until they heard from the coaches and Naughton ignored that.
Just speculation but you would hope that Naughton would follow the captains request until hearing from the coaches.

This was the first time I have heard this. Interesting as I put in the game day thread that Naughton as a leader should have went straight to the backline on his own accord. If this is true then I don't think he should be in the leadership group next year. And potentially should have been dropped the week later.

bornadog
29-08-2023, 03:28 PM
This was the first time I have heard this. Interesting as I put in the game day thread that Naughton as a leader should have went straight to the backline on his own accord. If this is true then I don't think he should be in the leadership group next year. And potentially should have been dropped the week later.

It was rumoured, but very much doubt it is true. Naughton is very professional and takes his footy seriously - he is in the leadership group.

Jasper
29-08-2023, 05:07 PM

Id expect a leader to put his hand up and get down there until he hears from the coach.

The bulldog tragician
29-08-2023, 05:15 PM
It was rumoured, but very much doubt it is true. Naughton is very professional and takes his footy seriously - he is in the leadership group.

Bont and Naughton also close aren’t they? When interviewed by the kid recruits, who asked Bont who his best mates were, Bont singled out Naughton and Marra.

Bulldog4life
29-08-2023, 05:29 PM
All this wildly differing Bailey Smith talk from a bunch of low-rent scribes just reinforces to me how much it blows not being in the September conversation.

On WOOF?:p

kruder
29-08-2023, 05:34 PM

Connors is just smart enough not to hand in a transfer request when a deal is unlikely to be done and his client is struggling with mental health. I think it's also the reason why Geelong came out and said we aren't chasing Bailey, I'm not sure in this instance he wants the stress of what Dunkley went through. I have no doubt the deal will be explored in the background and only when we are interested in dealing will Connors show his hand, it will be very much under our control and rightly so.

Make no mistake Bailey is a chance to leave the club over the next two years, its up to our club to get their shit together, make significant changes and get the playing group back on board and humming again.

It's a sliding doors moment right now and fingers crossed we are brave enough to make the right decisions.

Topdog
29-08-2023, 07:57 PM

In Ballarat the crowd hears 80% of what happens too, if it were actually true it would have come out.

angelopetraglia
29-08-2023, 07:58 PM
Bailey Smith's future remains in red, white and blue, with the Bulldogs guaranteed he won't request a trade.

Teammate Adam Treloar wants players to take ownership of their disastrous season, delivering an impassioned defence of his coach.

Channel Nine News piece

https://twitter.com/9NewsMelb/status/1696446833696870732?s=20

angelopetraglia
29-08-2023, 07:59 PM
Bailey Smith's future was a hot topic at Whitten Oval today. Bulldog teammates are confident he'll stay - as rival clubs circle

Channel Seven Piece

https://twitter.com/7NewsMelbourne/status/1696445915106799771?s=20

hujsh
29-08-2023, 08:08 PM
I like seeing Adam speaking out like this. He's well spoken and hearing him say how much he loves this club and this group of players (instead of somewhere he was previously) helps

angelopetraglia
29-08-2023, 08:12 PM
I like seeing Adam speaking out like this. He's well spoken and hearing him say how much he loves this club and this group of players (instead of somewhere he was previously) helps

100%. Love Treloar and what he brings to the team, both on field and his passion when communicating. He wears his heart on his sleeve. You can see why the Collingwood faithful adored him so much.

The bulldog tragician
29-08-2023, 08:37 PM

The vice captain Bont needs? There is a vacuum of support around Bont, it would be great if Adam stepped up like this

angelopetraglia
29-08-2023, 08:40 PM
The vice captain Bont needs? There is a vacuum of support around Bont, it would be great if Adam stepped up like this

Agree. That would be a good move.

angelopetraglia
29-08-2023, 08:50 PM
"What do you wanna be remembered as?"

Jordan Lewis questions Bailey Smith's ability to balance football with other parts of his life off the field.

https://twitter.com/FOXFOOTY/status/1696459683001667987?s=20

FrediKanoute
29-08-2023, 09:04 PM
No way should we contemplate losing Bailey Smith. Losing a kid of his talent would eb an indictment on the club and its administrations failure. That said though, no way should we let Bailey Smith run down his contract and be forced into a Dunkley style situation. I would be going to Smith's management now and stating quite clearly - we want to extend, here is the deal on offer. If Bailey wont commit then I would shop him around.

ledge
29-08-2023, 09:10 PM
Seems it’s all media driving the doom and gloom. Coming from the players and club , yes we underperformed but we are still one .

azabob
29-08-2023, 09:12 PM
"What do you wanna be remembered as?"

Jordan Lewis questions Bailey Smith's ability to balance football with other parts of his life off the field.

https://twitter.com/FOXFOOTY/status/1696459683001667987?s=20

Jordan Lewis has such a good footy brain. He has a really good handle on so many aspects on field and off field. He is wasting his talents in media. He should be at club land.

bulldogsthru&thru
29-08-2023, 09:15 PM
Seems it’s all media driving the doom and gloom. Coming from the players and club , yes we underperformed but we are still one .

I'd say our results and performances are driving the doom and gloom.

EasternWest
29-08-2023, 09:22 PM
Jordan Lewis has such a good footy brain. He has a really good handle on so many aspects on field and off field. He is wasting his talents in media. He should be at club land.

No soft cap in the media.

1eyedog
29-08-2023, 09:44 PM
No way should we contemplate losing Bailey Smith. Losing a kid of his talent would eb an indictment on the club and its administrations failure. That said though, no way should we let Bailey Smith run down his contract and be forced into a Dunkley style situation. I would be going to Smith's management now and stating quite clearly - we want to extend, here is the deal on offer. If Bailey wont commit then I would shop him around.

100% and I'd be offering really really good coin. The boy brings in way more than his wage in jumper sales and memberships alone. His Manager knows his worth.

He's a keeper.

Smith>>>>>>>English if need be.

bornadog
29-08-2023, 10:33 PM
100% and I'd be offering really really good coin. The boy brings in way more than his wage in jumper sales and memberships alone. His Manager knows his worth.

He's a keeper.

Smith>>>>>>>English if need be.

English also a keep

jeemak
29-08-2023, 10:48 PM
English also a keep

Finally on the Tim English bandwagon eh?

1eyedog
29-08-2023, 10:55 PM
No soft cap in the media.

English also a keep

If it works for us sure.

bornadog
29-08-2023, 11:48 PM
Finally on the Tim English bandwagon eh?

Someone has to do it.

angelopetraglia
29-08-2023, 11:50 PM
Libba https://instagram.com/stories/tom_liberatore/3180057920729445847?utm_source=ig_story_item_share&igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

hujsh
29-08-2023, 11:59 PM
Libba https://instagram.com/stories/tom_liberatore/3180057920729445847?utm_source=ig_story_item_share&igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==
Libba, Naughton, Edd and ...mate. All looking motovated
https://i.ibb.co/fCqXrKS/Capture.png

Go_Dogs
30-08-2023, 12:11 AM

What’s the Simone reference?

angelopetraglia
30-08-2023, 12:14 AM
What’s the Simone reference?

Not sure. But Bailey Smith wrote "somone gotta" when he was training yesterday. So it is a play on words in regards to that I would think.

jazzadogs
30-08-2023, 12:28 AM
Not sure. But Bailey Smith wrote "somone gotta" when he was training yesterday. So it is a play on words in regards to that I would think.

Wonder if Baz was training instead of Mad Monday with the boys? So the "someone gotta" could have been taken as a dig, and libba having a little dig back.

At least, that's the Kornes vibe story that would be attached to that.

The reality is probably that libba was pissed and thought Simone gotta sounded funny.

EasternWest
30-08-2023, 12:38 AM

Is that not Marra?

hujsh
30-08-2023, 12:46 AM
Is that not Marra?

Is it?

Mantis
30-08-2023, 07:24 AM
Is it?

Yes, yes it is.

Jasper
30-08-2023, 07:56 AM
We need to keep Baz and try and unravel whatever it is that has held him back this year.

EasternWest
30-08-2023, 08:53 AM
Is it?

Unquestionably.

bulldogtragic
30-08-2023, 09:03 AM
Why post it?

Grantysghost
30-08-2023, 09:28 AM
Why post it?
My guess is light hearted banter between the young uns.

Grantysghost
30-08-2023, 09:29 AM
Unquestionably.

It's Marra or a hologram of Marra either way it's him.

bulldogtragic
30-08-2023, 09:34 AM
My guess is light hearted banter between the young uns.

Probably true. When the footy world media is looking for any reason to get stuck into us, I’m not sure it’s a brilliant idea. Dahl was having some banter, and he’s forever motovated. And a symbol of when things went wrong. Send it on a group chat or something. We spent a while trying to analyse Baz post, I suspect the footy media will spend more time analysing this one. I’m sure Grant or Bains would’ve preferred it not go out. But hopefully it’ll pass quickly.

1eyedog
30-08-2023, 10:03 AM
Has anyone on here mentioned that it's been Adam Treloar, the player many woofers felt was just going through the motions at the club and seemingly hadn't bought into the culture, speaking out in defence of both the coach and Bailey Smith in the media?

Furthermore, he's also put the onus on the playing group to 'be better' in season 2024. Lastly, he comes out immediately to squash all commentary around him moving to the Gold Coast stating emphatically that he will be a Dog for life.

On ya Adz.

ledge
30-08-2023, 10:08 AM
I can’t believe the negativity planted on him , I think he is judged too harshly on the field , he has been awesome and always gives his best which is very good , he started our comeback against Geelong with 3 or 4 efforts then finished by kicking the goal.
He is very much an important part of our structure and always been very level headed when talking.

bornadog
30-08-2023, 10:17 AM
Has anyone on here mentioned that it's been Adam Treloar, the player many woofers felt was just going through the motions at the club and seemingly hadn't bought into the culture, speaking out in defence of both the coach and Bailey Smith in the media?

Furthermore, he's also put the onus on the playing group to 'be better' in season 2024. Lastly, he comes out immediately to squash all commentary around him moving to the Gold Coast stating emphatically that he will be a Dog for life.

On ya Adz.

Vice Captain material.

angelopetraglia
30-08-2023, 10:22 AM
I can’t believe the negativity planted on him , I think he is judged too harshly on the field , he has been awesome and always gives his best which is very good , he started our comeback against Geelong with 3 or 4 efforts then finished by kicking the goal.
He is very much an important part of our structure and always been very level headed when talking.

100% agree.

azabob
30-08-2023, 10:59 AM
Vice Captain material.

Nah, I like Adam Treloar's form on field just fine!

Legit whoever takes that role on is doomed on field.

jeemak
30-08-2023, 11:30 AM
Nah, I like Adam Treloar's form on field just fine!

Legit whoever takes that role on is doomed on field.

Worked out for Easton Wood in 2016. Perhaps it's the VC curse as a result of that.

hujsh
30-08-2023, 11:34 AM
Maybe we just don't have a VC?

bornadog
30-08-2023, 01:18 PM
According to Sam Edmund, Smith had his exit interview and said he has no intentions of leaving and will honour his contract.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
30-08-2023, 01:32 PM
According to Sam Edmund, Smith had his exit interview and said he has no intentions of leaving and will honour his contract.

It might be my cynicism talking, but that statement is a bit lonely for me.
It is missing a follow-up one that references his keenness to sign a new deal as he loves the group and the club!

Josh Dunkley honoured his contract with us too, eventually.
I want a bit more from Baz.

bulldogtragic
30-08-2023, 01:38 PM
It is missing a follow-up one that references his keenness to sign a new deal as he loves the group and the club!

I read it the same way too, fwiw.

bornadog
30-08-2023, 01:39 PM

I wouldn't read anything into it, unless we hear from the man himself.

chef
30-08-2023, 01:43 PM
I read it the same way too, fwiw.

Me too, It's just Dunkley all over again and we'll end up getting scraps again.

bulldogtragic
30-08-2023, 01:48 PM
Me too, It's just Dunkley all over again and we'll end up getting scraps again.

That’s the dilemma. I suspect stuff will go in the background the next few weeks and the club should be a little nervous after the experience of holding onto Dunkley to get the little we got.

I guess we see if the club gets offers it might want to consider. Or wait to see if he “sees out his contract” or extends it next year.

mjp
30-08-2023, 01:59 PM

Well - a year out Dunkley attended his review and said: "Bevo...Babe...have you heard of the Bombers...howz about letting me go and play there...".

Sounds like Smith has said: "I'm good to go and I'll be here if you want me".

Of course, Dunks went on to win a B&F the next year and STILL left to play for the Lions but right now isn't Smith ahead of him on the commitment scale given what Edmund is reporting is correct?

chef
30-08-2023, 02:08 PM
Well - a year out Dunkley attended his review and said: "Bevo...Babe...have you heard of the Bombers...howz about letting me go and play there...".

Sounds like Smith has said: "I'm good to go and I'll be here if you want me".

Of course, Dunks went on to win a B&F the next year and STILL left to play for the Lions but right now isn't Smith ahead of him on the commitment scale given what Edmund is reporting is correct?

I guess Dunkley didn't request a trade until trade week started so we've still got a bit of time.

Feels like the Dogs have said you aren't getting traded and Smith has said he see out the remainder of his contract and then the balls in his court.

lemmon
30-08-2023, 02:55 PM
I guess Dunkley didn't request a trade until trade week started so we've still got a bit of time.

Feels like the Dogs have said you aren't getting traded and Smith has said he see out the remainder of his contract and then the balls in his court.

Agreed - or his agents have put feelers out and the clubs that Smith might be interested in don't feel like they can get the deal done this year. It'd make no sense for Smith and his agency to request a trade that ultimately can't get done and he has to live with a year of speculation and questions from fans and the media.

Bullies
30-08-2023, 02:55 PM
Me too, It's just Dunkley all over again and we'll end up getting scraps again. I think his Manager would have said see out your contract and have a massive year and boost your value. At the minute a few clubs maybe gun shy with your personal issues and form.

azabob
30-08-2023, 02:59 PM
Agreed - or his agents have put feelers out and the clubs that Smith might be interested in getting to don't feel like they can get the deal done this year. It'd make no sense for Smith and his agency to request a trade that ultimately can't get done and he has to live with a year of speculation and questions from fans and the media.

Unfortunately for us, his management team of Paul Connors and Robbie D'orazio are the best in the business and getting deals done.
If Smith does want out the preferred club will have picks/players to get a trade done.

Bullies
30-08-2023, 02:59 PM
Also no one knows if he has ever said he wants to leave. The best place for him maybe what he knows and with the new facilities and hopefully playing well enough to get more midfield time he stays. We won't know but those jungle drums will be beating loud until he does decide what he wants to do.

bornadog
30-08-2023, 04:16 PM
Paul Connors on Gettable here (https://www.afl.com.au/video/1020694/gettable-dons-in-limbo-forward-up-for-grabs-bailey-smiths-agent-on-future?videoId=1020694&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1693367925001&tagNames=AppNewsFeed:Yes&tagNames=AppNewsFeed:Yes) 24min in on Bailey Smith.

Absolutely cans Jordan Lewis

angelopetraglia
30-08-2023, 04:35 PM
"He will be at the Dogs next year" Paul Connors

"I find some of the commentary astounding" Paul Connors

angelopetraglia
30-08-2023, 04:37 PM
"He is a young man, he is playing a different role this year, he knows he wants to play better" - Paul Connors

angelopetraglia
30-08-2023, 04:38 PM
"It is a snowball effect, we have really good dialogue with the Bulldogs, it won't matter what I say, it will be talked about, Bailey will have a good rest, he will have a really good year for the Dogs next year" - Paul Connors

Bullies
30-08-2023, 04:50 PM
"It is a snowball effect, we have really good dialogue with the Bulldogs, it won't matter what I say, it will be talked about, Bailey will have a good rest, he will have a really good year for the Dogs next year" - Paul Connors Connors will also be thinking about Bailey's new contract and more importantly his Marketing and Promotional opportunities which Connors will do very nicely out of as well. Not sure we will be able to compete with the big boys when it comes to marketing opportunities outside of his playing contract.

WBFC4FFC
30-08-2023, 05:07 PM
Connors will also be thinking about Bailey's new contract and more importantly his Marketing and Promotional opportunities which Connors will do very nicely out of as well. Not sure we will be able to compete with the big boys when it comes to marketing opportunities outside of his playing contract.

How much bigger can he get moving to another club? His profile is already stratospheric!

Wayne Carey was the biggest star of the 90's! Did being at Norf cost him off the field?

Concentrate on the field and the rest will take care of itself. Jordan Lewis knows more than me and Smith would be wise to listen to the words from a 300-game, multi-premiership player.

EasternWest
30-08-2023, 05:09 PM
"He is a young man, he is playing a different role this year, he knows he wants to play better" - Paul Connors

I know this is manager speak so grain of salt etc but it's exactly what I want to hear.

MrMahatma
30-08-2023, 05:48 PM
Connors will also be thinking about Bailey's new contract and more importantly his Marketing and Promotional opportunities which Connors will do very nicely out of as well. Not sure we will be able to compete with the big boys when it comes to marketing opportunities outside of his playing contract.

Not every brand will want to be associated with Collingwood - home of "do better" being a proud day, and Joffa.

Sure they have the members, but Bailey isn't missing out at the Dogs.

MrMahatma
30-08-2023, 05:49 PM
I know this is manager speak so grain of salt etc but it's exactly what I want to hear.

He was convincing.

Makes me wonder if we should be chasing Jack Billings also.

bornadog
30-08-2023, 05:52 PM
Jordan Lewis knows more than me and Smith would be wise to listen to the words from a 300-game, multi-premiership player.

I agree with Connors on this and not Lewis who sounds like a dinosaur.

azabob
30-08-2023, 06:24 PM
I agree with Connors on this and not Lewis who sounds like a dinosaur.

What did Jordan Lewis say that was so outrageous that makes him a "dinosaur"?

bornadog
30-08-2023, 06:37 PM
What did Jordan Lewis say that was so outrageous that makes him a "dinosaur"?

The way he was talking players can't do other things outside of football. Maybe he was a nerd in his young days.

azabob
30-08-2023, 06:57 PM
The way he was talking players can't do other things outside of football. Maybe he was a nerd in his young days.

IMO Lewis raised some really relevant points. FWIW of course Connors is going to shoot down Lewis and defend Smith.

But hey, what do I know.

hujsh
30-08-2023, 07:09 PM
Lewis probably knows more than we do about that stuff. Doesn't mean he's for sure right but he may know things we don't about the toll and time it takes doing all that extra stuff and having that high profile (he'd have been around Buddy at the Hawks)

azabob
30-08-2023, 07:41 PM
Lewis probably knows more than we do about that stuff. Doesn't mean he's for sure right but he may know things we don't about the toll and time it takes doing all that extra stuff and having that high profile (he'd have been around Buddy at the Hawks)

Franklin and Lewis are best mates.

jeemak
30-08-2023, 08:02 PM
Paul Connors on Gettable here (https://www.afl.com.au/video/1020694/gettable-dons-in-limbo-forward-up-for-grabs-bailey-smiths-agent-on-future?videoId=1020694&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1693367925001&tagNames=AppNewsFeed:Yes&tagNames=AppNewsFeed:Yes) 24min in on Bailey Smith.

Absolutely cans Jordan Lewis

Pretty emphatic and he raises some good points about Jack Billings who should be on our radar.

hujsh
30-08-2023, 08:10 PM
Franklin and Lewis are best mates.

Fair to say he has some insights then

jazzadogs
30-08-2023, 08:25 PM
Pretty emphatic and he raises some good points about Jack Billings who should be on our radar.

I don't have time to listen. What were the points about billings?

jeemak
30-08-2023, 08:41 PM
I don't have time to listen. What were the points about billings?

Super quick, excellent preparer, working hard to get into the side, injuries have really knocked him around, moneyball recruit who needs another solid crack at a preseason to get continuity.

azabob
30-08-2023, 08:44 PM
Super quick, excellent preparer, working hard to get into the side, injuries have really knocked him around, moneyball recruit who needs another solid crack at a preseason to get continuity.

Not sure he is a moneyball recruit. He recently signed a four year deal rumoured to be around $800K.

MrMahatma
30-08-2023, 08:45 PM

Plus pretty much said he wants a move. “Not enough clubs have enquired about him”.

jeemak
30-08-2023, 08:46 PM
Plus pretty much said he wants a move. “Not enough clubs have enquired about him”.

Sorry, forgot that stuff.

Yep, shopping him around pretty openly and I reckon that'd be with the blessing of St Kilda who would probably cover some of his wage.

1eyedog
30-08-2023, 08:48 PM
I'd have a crack at Billings. Get him fit and get him on a HFF.

If he comes to us the Aints no longer have to lament taking him before Bont. Two birds one stone.

hujsh
30-08-2023, 08:51 PM
Wouldn't complain about Billings in on a flank but geez you'd want a lot of that salary covered

1eyedog
30-08-2023, 08:53 PM
800k? Absolutely! He feels like a 450k proposition atm.

No one is paying the 600k the Aints will want.

JanLorMill
30-08-2023, 09:46 PM
Billings? The only person in the world that thinks he is any good is Cooper Grech! No thanks

lemmon
30-08-2023, 10:13 PM
Wouldn't complain about Billings in on a flank but geez you'd want a lot of that salary covered

Hm not for me. Really don't think we need another medium forward who doesn't do much tackling.

bulldogtragic
30-08-2023, 10:50 PM
Hm not for me. Really don't think we need another medium forward who doesn't do much tackling.

And a poor kick for goal.

jazzadogs
30-08-2023, 11:39 PM
Then we'd just need Josh Kelly to complete the set.

Axe Man
31-08-2023, 11:37 AM
AFL manager Paul Connors hits back at critics of Bulldogs star Bailey Smith (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/confidential/time-on-afl-manager-paul-connors-hits-back-at-critics-of-bulldogs-star-bailey-smith/news-story/1078b246b5692d45b861c1f7fab1b42d)

Leading AFL manager Paul Connors has slammed critics of Bulldogs star Bailey Smith, labelling it ?tall poppy syndrome?.

Leading footy manager Paul Connors has hit back at critics of Bulldogs star Bailey Smith, saying it?s tall poppy syndrome and it ?drives me nuts?.

On Tuesday night commentator Jordan Lewis said on AFL360 that Smith needed to ?assess all parts of his life? as speculation on his future continues.

Connors said Smith would be at the Bulldogs and defended his dedication.

?I find some of the commentary astounding,?? Connors told the Gettable podcast.

?I was listening (to Fox Footy) and I love Jordan Lewis but pick up the phone and ring. We?re really harsh on our players, we want them to sit home on their day off and play PlayStation or have no interests whatsoever outside footy.

?For Bailey we?ve been really careful. We?ve got a wonderful partnership, not sponsorship, with Cotton On that?s been great for both. Bailey goes down regularly to Cotton On and works on the design. Why are we upset with that?

?He?s got some other sponsorship that have been good. It?s not like he?s out doing appearances at Knox Shopping Centre every second week. It absolutely drives me nuts and gets my back up.?

Connors said Smith had handled it well playing a different role.

?He knows he wants to play better,?? he said.

?And no one works on their craft more. What are we saying, that he?s not dedicated to his footy? If you?re saying that you?ve got absolutely no idea. And if you?re saying he?s doing too much, I just don?t understand the argument. I feel like it?s a tall poppy syndrome and it just irks me.?

Connors added: ?He?ll be at the Bulldogs, I feel like the more we say it the less people don?t listen. He?s been a bit tired, a bit sore, go back, refresh, reset, he?s looking forward to a big year.?

Axe Man
31-08-2023, 11:44 AM
Not sure he is a moneyball recruit. He recently signed a four year deal rumoured to be around $800K.

Billings is 2 years into the 4 year deal and for what it's worth he doesn't feature in the HUN's top 100 earners (which starts in the $550-$650K range).

bulldogtragic
31-08-2023, 11:48 AM
Billings:

155 Games
108 Goals
123 Behinds
However many total misses

Only 3 hit outs, back in 2016.

Not sure a guy who can’t kick straight or take a run in the ruck is what we need.

azabob
31-08-2023, 11:49 AM
Billings is 2 years into the 4 year deal and for what it's worth he doesn't feature in the HUN's top 100 earners (which starts in the $550-$650K range).

Its is all with a grain of salt though isn't it - all salaries are media speculation.

Sedat
31-08-2023, 12:00 PM
Billings:

155 Games
108 Goals
123 Behinds
However many total misses

Only 3 hit outs, back in 2016.

Not sure a guy who can’t kick straight or take a run in the ruck is what we need.
It would purely be for the lols to get him to the club, after the Saints selected him over Bont, and get them to pay a large chunk of his salary for the next 2 years as well.

He's a nice player but the inaccuracy is a concern. On the plus side he is definitely a natural forward, as evidenced by him averaging almost 2 shots a game in starvation corner. I have concerns around his defensive appetite, otherwise Ross the Boss would have given him more games this season.

Probably not the specific type of player we need - there's worse out there to be fair to him.

Axe Man
31-08-2023, 12:12 PM
Its is all with a grain of salt though isn't it - all salaries are media speculation.

Of course (and I did say for what it's worth) but it seems unlikely he would be on $800k (which again is speculation) and they completely missed him from the list.

azabob
31-08-2023, 12:20 PM
Of course (and I did say for what it's worth) but it seems unlikely he would be on $800k (which again is speculation) and they completely missed him from the list.

Which is interesting in itself as if he resisted free agency, wonder why it wasn't for more than say $600K a year?

I guess you care about it as much as I do though.

"ST KILDA'S Jack Billings is the latest star to reject free agency, putting pen to paper on a multi-year contract.

Billings' four-year deal was first reported by AFL.com.au in August, and will tie him to the club until the end of 2025."

https://www.afl.com.au/news/676916/saints-confirm-long-term-deal-for-gun-free-agent-jack-billings-veteran-ruckman-paddy-ryder-to-go-on

angelopetraglia
31-08-2023, 12:36 PM
Kane Cornes and Brad Johnson debate what comes next for Bailey Smith after his manager stated he would be staying at the Dogs.

https://twitter.com/1116sen/status/1697025152721252575?s=20

Axe Man
31-08-2023, 12:43 PM
Which is interesting in itself as if he resisted free agency, wonder why it wasn't for more than say $600K a year?

I guess you care about it as much as I do though.

"ST KILDA'S Jack Billings is the latest star to reject free agency, putting pen to paper on a multi-year contract.

Billings' four-year deal was first reported by AFL.com.au in August, and will tie him to the club until the end of 2025."

https://www.afl.com.au/news/676916/saints-confirm-long-term-deal-for-gun-free-agent-jack-billings-veteran-ruckman-paddy-ryder-to-go-on

He could well be on $600k as that seems to be around the cusp of the top 100, whereas $800k is top 50 territory.

Surely no clubs were coming at him with $800k offers, even 2 years ago when he was on the field and playing ok. $500-$600k feels about right, but now he's not even worth that.

jeemak
31-08-2023, 12:54 PM
Surely we just pick and choose the speculation that fits whichever narrative we're OK with?

SquirrelGrip
31-08-2023, 01:55 PM
Kane Cornes and Brad Johnson debate what comes next for Bailey Smith after his manager stated he would be staying at the Dogs.

https://twitter.com/1116sen/status/1697025152721252575?s=20

I haven’t listened to Gerald Healy for a while but after listening to that, boy is he past it! Kane and Johnno have a reasonable discussion but Healy has no idea.

azabob
01-09-2023, 08:29 AM
Didn't Connors say they were savvy with their "brand partnerships"

What in good lord in this... in Ocean Grove no less.

https://www.eventbrite.com.au/e/bailey-smith-experience-live-at-the-dunes-ocean-grove-tickets-698727933057

The Bailey Smith Experience!

ONE SHOW ONLY | THURSDAY 5TH OCTOBER | DOORS OPEN 7PM!

For the first time to the public The Bailey Smith Experience!

You know him from his explosive run and mullet down the wings of the MCG for the Western Bulldogs but do you really know Bailey Smith?!

Bailey is the ultra modern Australian rules footballer but he is much more than that. A trend setting ambassador & celebrity his brand transcends the AFL making him one of the most marketable faces in Australian sport.

The Bailey Smith Experience is more than a one dimensional football show but AFL & Bulldogs fans will have plenty of content to enjoy as will all fans of Bailey from whichever platform your interest was piqued.

General Admission - $49*

- Show Only

VIP PASS - $89*

- Show Entry & Selfie Photo Package

chef
01-09-2023, 08:47 AM

https://www.eventbrite.com.au/e/bailey-smith-experience-live-at-the-dunes-ocean-grove-tickets-698727933057

You know him from his explosive run and mullet down the wings of the MCG for the Western Bulldogs but do you really know Bailey Smith?!

Bailey is the ultra modern Australian rules footballer but he is much more than that. A trend setting ambassador & celebrity his brand transcends the AFL making him one of the most marketable faces in Australian sport.

The Bailey Smith Experience is more than a one dimensional football show but AFL & Bulldogs fans will have plenty of content to enjoy as will all fans of Bailey from whichever platform your interest was piqued.

General Admission - $49*

- Show Only

VIP PASS - $89*

I guess this shit is what Jordan Lewis is talking about.

Young Baz has got the cart before the horse.

azabob
01-09-2023, 09:01 AM
I guess this shit is what Jordan Lewis is talking about.

Young Baz has got the cart before the horse.

Further to this - I just listened to the Connors interview and he literally said It is not as though he is doing appearances at Knox Shopping centre every second week. Nah not Knox just Ocean Grove pubs.

Grantysghost
01-09-2023, 09:33 AM
The Bailey Smith experience?

Oh that's cringe.

azabob
01-09-2023, 09:40 AM
Don't get me wrong, I love Bailey Smith onfield and the potential he clearly has. For mine he is a must keep.

My final two thoughts on Smith off field are

1) At the start of the year Smith whist training Smith yelled at the media and told them not to take his photo, yet he does this type of crap - this does nothing for Smith's "brand". Pub appearances are for David Brent and other D list celebs.

2) Thinking on Connors I reckon he the reason he was so certain on Smith staying is there something cooking the background. What is the saying those guilty protest too much?

azabob
01-09-2023, 09:40 AM

Oh that's cringe.

Just don't click the link...

ledge
01-09-2023, 09:47 AM
Further to this - I just listened to the Connors interview and he literally said It is not as though he is doing appearances at Knox Shopping centre every second week. Nah not Knox just Ocean Grove pubs.

To be fair it is off season though and you are encouraged by clubs and the AFL to prepare for life after footy.
I don’t think it’s actually affecting his footy at all, it’s media saying “oh let’s use this reason to get more click bait “
I just think he has had a challenging year like all footballers.

Grantysghost
01-09-2023, 09:54 AM

You bastard. Oh course I went and did that.

First question... Is he admiring himself naked?

https://i.postimg.cc/k5z6Jh7R/Screenshot-20230901-085306.png (https://postimg.cc/PLbrKypd)

angelopetraglia
01-09-2023, 10:00 AM

You can't make this stuff up. Words are meaningless. Action matters. Don't tell me Paul. Show me.

bornadog
01-09-2023, 10:01 AM

Will you be there :D

Axe Man
01-09-2023, 10:05 AM
You bastard. Oh course I went and did that.

First question... Is he admiring himself naked?

https://i.postimg.cc/k5z6Jh7R/Screenshot-20230901-085306.png (https://postimg.cc/PLbrKypd)

If I looked like that I would admire myself too.

The jumper looks weird with the logos photoshopped off.

azabob
01-09-2023, 10:05 AM
Will you be there :D

I thought we were going together? I got you a ticket also!

bornadog
01-09-2023, 10:09 AM
I thought we were going together? I got you a ticket also!

I just can't imagine what happens at the function? Does he do a speech of some sort or what? Very strange indeed.

hujsh
01-09-2023, 10:21 AM
This is going to be his version of the Dunkley blog if he leaves isn't it?

Rocket Science
01-09-2023, 10:33 AM
Scoff all you want but come back to me with a 'Tom Liberatore Experience' and you can name your price.

Axe Man
01-09-2023, 10:59 AM
Scoff all you want but come back to me with a 'Tom Liberatore Experience' and you can name your price.

I would like to sign up for a night out with Tom Liberatore. In my mind it would be something like the Beard After Hours episode of Ted Lasso.

bulldogtragic
01-09-2023, 11:00 AM
I would like to sign up for a night out with Tom Liberatore. In my mind it would be something like the Beard After Hours episode of Ted Lasso.

Me too!

Piggy Stardust.

bornadog
01-09-2023, 11:00 AM

That was a weird night out, but great episode

SquirrelGrip
01-09-2023, 11:04 AM

I'm in!

https://i.postimg.cc/9Xqv7wff/Libba-Experience.png (https://postimages.org/)

bornadog
01-09-2023, 11:24 AM
I'm in!

In Vietnam I believe

https://cdn-img.scalabs.com.au/atIomD8uOlYr5b0VjqUgiaXqZsZ4NLP2kaIbCYOFk9w/aHR0cHM6Ly9zdy10/cmlwbGVtLXByZC5z/Y2FkaWdpdGFsLmlv/L21lZGlhLzEzNDUv/dG9tLWxpYmVyYXRv/cmUtaGFpci02Mjgu/anBnP3ByZXNldD1t/cnByZXZhcnRpY2xl

Grantysghost
01-09-2023, 11:25 AM
I'm in!

I'd skip Paul Mcartney to go to that.

Grantysghost
01-09-2023, 11:27 AM
If I looked like that I would admire myself too.

The jumper looks weird with the logos photoshopped off.

Is there a selfie pack involved?

VIP PASS - $89*

It's $40 for a selfie. I really can't blame him for monetising it. He must've taken 100 at the last event I was at.

Grantysghost
01-09-2023, 11:32 AM
I just can't imagine what happens at the function? Does he do a speech of some sort or what? Very strange indeed.

A short hello, a soft strip tease (down to budgies) and then a 50 minute slide pack detailing the different shades of Bailey's tan and hair and it's metaphorical relationship with his love of Josh Frydenberg.

Sedat
01-09-2023, 11:34 AM

Oh that's cringe.
Has the estate of Jimi Hendrix sent a cease and desist letter yet?

Jeanette54
01-09-2023, 11:36 AM
I'm in!

I'd go to the second show, "Libba, Father and Son".

EasternWest
01-09-2023, 11:45 AM

General Admission - $49*

- Show Only

VIP PASS - $89*

Wait, that's real. I thought you were taking the Mickey.

bornadog
01-09-2023, 11:48 AM

Aza bought me a ticket - you want to come along :D

Rocket Science
01-09-2023, 12:01 PM
"Hi you've reached the Bazlenka Hotline, $4.95 a minute. Here are some words that rhyme with Bailey."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCZJc2JaL8U&ab_channel=MattDelaplane

hujsh
01-09-2023, 12:03 PM

Chat GPT won't save us from this one

Axe Man
01-09-2023, 12:31 PM
Did anybody attend? The timing was a little unfortunate.

https://i.postimg.cc/FKgFWRpJ/lib-baz.jpg (https://postimg.cc/KKjy4mdZ)

bornadog
01-09-2023, 02:39 PM
Did anybody attend? The timing was a little unfortunate.

https://i.postimg.cc/FKgFWRpJ/lib-baz.jpg (https://postimg.cc/KKjy4mdZ)

WTH, a factory in Truganina? Wasn't the illegal Casino that was raided recently was it :D

EasternWest
01-09-2023, 05:32 PM
Aza bought me a ticket - you want to come along :D

Ha ha ha.

Axe Man
01-09-2023, 06:08 PM
WTH, a factory in Truganina? Wasn't the illegal Casino that was raided recently was it :D

Lucky you had a prior engagement the night of the raid hey BAD.

bornadog
01-09-2023, 06:15 PM
Lucky you had a prior engagement the night of the raid hey BAD.

a tip off :D

Twodogs
01-09-2023, 07:50 PM
a tip off :D

You were lucky I could contact you at that late stage.

Twodogs
01-09-2023, 07:52 PM
"Hi you've reached the Bazlenka Hotline, $4.95 a minute. Here are some words that rhyme with Bailey."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCZJc2JaL8U&ab_channel=MattDelaplane

I can't think of a word that rhymes with Bailey off the top of my head. Mind you I didn't spend a lot of time thinking about it.

Twodogs
01-09-2023, 07:53 PM
I'm in!

At the Mona Castle? Cuts down on expenses.

jazzadogs
01-09-2023, 08:58 PM
I can't think of a word that rhymes with Bailey off the top of my head. Mind you I didn't spend a lot of time thinking about it.

Might just say "daily" on repeat.

Grantysghost
01-09-2023, 08:59 PM

Cazaly!

Twodogs
02-09-2023, 08:56 PM

Cazaly!

Gaily.

Castle made of mott and baily.

It's easy when you put your mind to it.

Grantysghost
05-09-2023, 10:15 AM
https://www.gq.com.au/gq-sports/bailey-smith/image-gallery/e8e1b1a8145bde0ff5a961f59c61c2d3

Just stumbled across this. Can put the no drinking misnomer to bed.

“The first few years of being in the league, I’d go out and drink with my mates and I didn’t really think too much about recovery, because when you’re younger, you’re able to do that and feel fresh all the time. You feel a bit invincible,” he admits. “But I’ve been steering way more clear of going out on a Saturday night, even if it’s just for a couple of drinks. I’m understanding that for the longevity of my career, which I aspire to, I need to start looking after myself more.

azabob
05-09-2023, 10:35 AM
Thanks GG... I think...

Grantysghost
05-09-2023, 10:55 AM
Thanks GG... I think...

That image of him frolicking with Toby Greene is going to trigger some people xD

https://content.api.news/v3/images/bin/0dd5a326aa8fe553c54b605e2721a0f7?width=1024

azabob
05-09-2023, 11:24 AM
That image of him frolicking with Toby Greene is going to trigger some people xD

https://content.api.news/v3/images/bin/0dd5a326aa8fe553c54b605e2721a0f7?width=1024

Yep... the one with Petracca triggered me more.

Grantysghost
05-09-2023, 11:30 AM
Yep... the one with Petracca triggered me more.

They look so happy though !

https://content.api.news/v3/images/bin/e6fc37fbbd9bd1352021a4399ac6cdc8?width=1024

Sedat
05-09-2023, 11:40 AM

https://content.api.news/v3/images/bin/e6fc37fbbd9bd1352021a4399ac6cdc8?width=1024
"Not that there's anything wrong with that"

ledge
05-09-2023, 11:41 AM
Petracca has the legs of a 45 year old. Looks like they just photo shopped the heads on .

Axe Man
05-09-2023, 11:49 AM
At least that is sort of on brand for Smith and Petracca, but bogan Greene in GQ?

hujsh
05-09-2023, 11:50 AM
At least that is sort of on brand for Smith and Petracca, but bogan Greene in GQ?

Gotta look good when you go out for a night on the town and cripple a bouncer

Grantysghost
05-09-2023, 11:53 AM
Gotta look good when you go out for a night on the town and cripple a bouncer

On crutches too.

azabob
05-09-2023, 12:43 PM

They are auditioning for Zoolander 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9ny0HT1gQg

Rocket Science
05-09-2023, 01:42 PM

Hang on you mean these images are real and not some vile DALL-E style concoction designed to trigger me and me personally?

Grantysghost
05-09-2023, 01:44 PM
Hang on you mean these images are real and not some vile DALL-E style concoction designed to trigger me and me personally?

Unfortunately real.

Football friends

Rocket Science
05-09-2023, 01:48 PM
Unfortunately real.

Football friends

Well I can only hope this was the final straw that triggered the internal review.

EasternWest
05-09-2023, 01:53 PM

I dunno. I can think of one that triggers me more.

https://i.postimg.cc/WpfWTQY4/images-4.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

bulldogsthru&thru
05-09-2023, 02:04 PM
I dunno. I can think of one that triggers me more.

https://i.postimg.cc/WpfWTQY4/images-4.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Can we get a Costanza in one of these photos RS?

azabob
05-09-2023, 02:08 PM
From the outside looking in Bailey Smith looks like the most "Unbulldog player" we've had since Simon "The Pieman" Beasley.

Rocket Science
05-09-2023, 02:24 PM
Can we get a Costanza in one of these photos RS?

With pleasure.

https://i.ibb.co/BBnPykZ/Screen-Shot-2023-09-05-at-1-21-07-pm.png (https://ibb.co/NKT39Rj)

jazzadogs
05-09-2023, 02:25 PM

Trade.

bulldogsthru&thru
05-09-2023, 02:38 PM
With pleasure.

https://i.ibb.co/BBnPykZ/Screen-Shot-2023-09-05-at-1-21-07-pm.png (https://ibb.co/NKT39Rj)

I was expecting this one https://screencrush.com/seinfeld-photobomb-slicer-20th-anniversary/

but thoroughly enjoyed this surprise.

Rocket Science
05-09-2023, 02:43 PM
Digressing, it's a good thing this was published in March and not September ...

https://i.ibb.co/yNQ3M5j/Screen-Shot-2023-09-05-at-12-49-13-pm.png (https://ibb.co/4FVQDMr)

MrMahatma
06-09-2023, 01:37 PM
From the outside looking in Bailey Smith looks like the most "Unbulldog player" we've had since Simon "The Pieman" Beasley.

Why?
We aren’t the “battling Bulldogs” any more.

I think he suits our fresh brand well.

Our game style has fallen away and we’re not as exciting as we used to be to watch. I hope that comes back.

angelopetraglia
06-09-2023, 11:09 PM
Hawks willing to offer pick #3 ….

https://x.com/footyonnine/status/1699392931692429435?s=46&t=oMlyiNHry1lhUs8p7uzZ_A

bulldogtragic
06-09-2023, 11:12 PM

https://x.com/footyonnine/status/1699392931692429435?s=46&t=oMlyiNHry1lhUs8p7uzZ_A

Sold!!!!!

bulldogsthru&thru
06-09-2023, 11:14 PM

I'm with Lloyd on that one.

jazzadogs
06-09-2023, 11:41 PM

At no point does he actually say they are willing to offer pick 3. It's his opinion that they would/should offer pick 3. I think he's talking out his arse.

If it was seriously on the table as a standalone pick 3 for Bailey Smith, then that is too heavily weighted towards us but of course we would take it.

hujsh
06-09-2023, 11:46 PM
At no point does he actually say they are willing to offer pick 3. It's his opinion that they would/should offer pick 3. I think he's talking out his arse.

If it was seriously on the table as a standalone pick 3 for Bailey Smith, then that is too heavily weighted towards us but of course we would take it.

Wellllll, he does. Barrett asks for clarification at the end and his words are "Hawthorn would give pick 3.... I'm confident on that"

Now whether he's confident because 'sources' have told him that exactly or confident his gut feel is they want him and would pay a lot to get him is another question

jazzadogs
06-09-2023, 11:51 PM
Wellllll, he does. Barrett asks for clarification at the end and his words are "Hawthorn would give pick 3.... I'm confident on that"

Now whether he's confident because 'sources' have told him that exactly or confident his gut feel is they want him and would pay a lot to get him is another question

Fair. I couldn't get through the whole thing first time around, so missed that.

I was going off "Hawthorn would give pick 3, there's no doubt in my mind". So it's not "Hawthorn have offered pick 3" or similar...it's just that they "would". I still think it's garbage, AND I think Hawthorn would want more back from us than just Baz for #3.