PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the Bulldogs: Bailey Smith

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13

bulldogsthru&thru
07-09-2023, 12:07 AM
Fair. I couldn't get through the whole thing first time around, so missed that.

I was going off "Hawthorn would give pick 3, there's no doubt in my mind". So it's not "Hawthorn have offered pick 3" or similar...it's just that they "would". I still think it's garbage, AND I think Hawthorn would want more back from us than just Baz for #3.

Yeah. Hawthorn would give Pick 3. But they'd want our pick 10 in the deal.

I'd be willing to give something else back in return but not a 1st rounder.

bulldogtragic
07-09-2023, 12:13 AM
Yeah. Hawthorn would give Pick 3. But they'd want our pick 10 in the deal.

I'd be willing to give something else back in return but not a 1st rounder.

Only way I hand back a first, say 10, is them adding a F1 for a F3:

Dogs: 3, F1 (hopefully a top 10)
Hawks: Smith, 10, F3

So a F1, an upgrade from 10 into 3 for Smith & F3

GVGjr
07-09-2023, 12:47 AM
I'd be surprised if Poop Scoop McClure has this one right.

Grantysghost
07-09-2023, 08:13 AM
Pick 3 is probably overs on current form.

However, his ceiling is anything.

I'd do the deal if Bailey indicated he was interested.

Then hello Wizard.

GVGjr
07-09-2023, 08:36 AM
Pick 3 is probably overs on current form.

However, his ceiling is anything.

I'd do the deal if Bailey indicated he was interested.

Then hello Wizard.

It all comes down to Baileys wishes no matter what.
I doubt we would get a better offer but I'm not taking Poop Scoop McClure's suggestion seriously.
You could tell he was up for a fight to defend the statement and it came across to me as an attention seeking suggestion.
He's another in what is becoming a long line of younger reporters who got ahead of themselves and who suffer from peacocks disease.

MrMahatma
07-09-2023, 09:15 AM
That bloke talks complete junk week in, week out.

This is just a garbage attempt at a story. Unfortunately we’re talking about it.

G-Mo77
07-09-2023, 09:24 AM
I'd be surprised if Poop Scoop McClure has this one right.

Just think everything is BS, easier that way at this time of year. I mean it's nice to fantasise when a story sounds good but there is no way Hawthorn are offering #3 for Smith.

Grantysghost
07-09-2023, 09:50 AM
It all comes down to Baileys wishes no matter what.
I doubt we would get a better offer but I'm not taking Poop Scoop McClure's suggestion seriously.
You could tell he was up for a fight to defend the statement and it came across to me as an attention seeking suggestion.
He's another in what is becoming a long line of younger reporters who got ahead of themselves and who suffer from peacocks disease.

I steer clear of all AFL media and only get snippets on woof.
So I have no idea about Poop Scoop but I love the name and its enough to tell me what you think of him G!

Mantis
07-09-2023, 10:05 AM
Opened up my Flybuys offers email this morning and Bailey's face popped up promoting the Kings Domain Hair care range - the lad has more sponsors than targets he's hit I50.

Mofra
07-09-2023, 10:16 AM
Opened up my Flybuys offers email this morning and Bailey's face popped up promoting the Kings Domain Hair care range - the lad has more sponsors than targets he's hit I50.
So more than two?

Mofra
07-09-2023, 10:17 AM
Just think everything is BS, easier that way at this time of year. I mean it's nice to fantasise when a story sounds good but there is no way Hawthorn are offering #3 for Smith.
That's effectively offering Duursma for Smith, who they're really keen on.
I'm not sure they do it without something going back the other way.

Mantis
07-09-2023, 10:18 AM
So more than two?

At least 4 sponsors.

McDonalds
Monster energy drinks
Cotton On
Kings Domain hair care products

How many targets hit?

GVGjr
07-09-2023, 10:42 AM

There are a lot of reporters I take seriously. I was listening to David Zita yesterday who just presented the facts as he sees them to the rumours flowing into SEN.

There are a few reporters who I don't rate though and I don't mind calling out their grandstanding and attention seeking.

McClure was a good reporter a few years back and really earned the nickname of Scoop but I don't know what changed him other than falling victim to the dreaded Peacocks disease.

ledge
07-09-2023, 10:58 AM
So our players come out and say he isn’t going .
The admin come out and say he isn’t going.
The list manager says he isn’t going .
Then this morning I read the media are still saying he will go but just change the story to 2025 not 2024.
It’s just cheap shots as the media always do .
It used to be they would see who is out of contract and put two and two together and say they were leaving, now they start with players with still a year to go on contract.
The Caro segments are getting worse and worse and are more wrong than right and not just a little wrong but miles from the truth . Eg Bailey Williams.

Scorlibo
07-09-2023, 11:10 AM
Pick 3 is about right for Smith. The media would have you believe that every top five pick lands you a Bontempelli or a Petracca. That would mean there's about 75 of them in the league. Have a look at the history of pick 3 and you see the median is someone like Chris Masten or Jack Billings. Good players, 200 gamers, but Baz at his best is a better player, and is yet to enter his prime.

Bumper Bulldogs
07-09-2023, 12:00 PM
Pick 3 is about right for Smith. The media would have you believe that every top five pick lands you a Bontempelli or a Petracca. That would mean there's about 75 of them in the league. Have a look at the history of pick 3 and you see the median is someone like Chris Masten or Jack Billings. Good players, 200 gamers, but Baz at his best is a better player, and is yet to enter his prime.

Correct and we need to hold onto him. He brings more to the club than just on field performance. All young guys are inconsistent and for all we know he could have carried an injury or two.

In Power we trust. It’s been a great tide so far.

PS. Very pleasing that this year so far. Leaks are not coming out about players. Only speculation

bulldogsthru&thru
07-09-2023, 12:04 PM
Correct and we need to hold onto him. He brings more to the club than just on field performance. All young guys are inconsistent and for all we know he could have carried an injury or two.

In Power we trust. It’s been a great tide so far.

PS. Very pleasing that this year so far. Leaks are not coming out about players. Only speculation

I think us as fans will feel a lot more confident if we see Naughts, Smith, JUH and English all sign on before next season. It at least shows us the players are still united. We might lose 1 of that lot.

The media and pretty much everyone overrate draft picks. Id rather keep Smith, but like English, if they intend to leave after next year, nows the time to shop.

Axe Man
07-09-2023, 02:31 PM
Who's up for a trip with Baz?

https://i.postimg.cc/bNMHFKZD/Capture.png (https://postimages.org/)

Grantysghost
07-09-2023, 02:34 PM
Who's up for a trip with Baz?

https://i.postimg.cc/bNMHFKZD/Capture.png (https://postimages.org/)

I'll take the backpack.

He's already in NYC.

chef
07-09-2023, 03:58 PM
If only his footy was as good as his marketing.

bornadog
07-09-2023, 04:49 PM
If only his footy was as good as his marketing.

https://www.facebook.com/AFL/videos/266415872940705

If they can make some extra cash on the side, then a move to another club is not as attractive in supplementing their income.

Axe Man
07-09-2023, 05:32 PM
I'll take the backpack.

He's already in NYC.

The insta post was a joke, he's not in New York.

Bailey Smith?s whereabouts revealed after cheeky New York post (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/confidential/bailey-smith-escapes-to-new-york/news-story/9832915204d93adb419a56e080a4b257)

Bailey Smith?s whereabouts have been revealed after he posted a cheeky tag on Instagram.

The Bulldogs star made out that he was in Barryville, New York, on Wednesday night, but he was making reference to a side project he?s working on surrounding the name Barry.

His happy post in Melbourne was still a sign that he isn?t letting speculation around his future affect an off-season break.

After the club missed out on playing finals he was pictured with teammates including Jamarra Ugle-Hagan and Laith Vandermeer.

The trio were alongside Richmond forward Maurice Rioli Jr.

Smith captioned his picture: ?ah yes. a headlock? with Ugle-Hagan leaving a comment: ?still tapped out?.

Talk about Smith, 22, being disgruntled at the Bulldogs has been swirling for months but the club and his management are adamant that the most followed player on Instagram will remain there next season.

Several commentators raised concerns with Fox Footy?s Jordan Lewis questioning his commitment to football last week.

Smith?s manager Paul Connors hit out at the critics, saying it was tall poppy syndrome.

He said Smith would stay at the Bulldogs.

?He?ll be at the Bulldogs, I feel like the more we say it the less people don?t listen,?? Connors said.

?He?s been a bit tired, a bit sore, go back, refresh, reset, he?s looking forward to a big year.?

Grantysghost
07-09-2023, 06:06 PM
Gold. You mean I can't trust instagram?

bulldogsthru&thru
07-09-2023, 06:17 PM
Gold. You mean I can't trust instagram?

Seeing is believing.

angelopetraglia
21-09-2023, 04:26 PM
Paul Connors. It's not like he is doing appearances at Knox Shopping centre.

Bailey Smith. Insta today. Next Thursday at 12pm to 3pm I will be a the Melbourne Cetnral Shopping Centre.

Grantysghost
21-09-2023, 04:35 PM

Bailey Smith. Insta today. Next Thursday at 12pm to 3pm I will be a the Melbourne Cetnral Shopping Centre.

As soon as he came out on the front foot like that you know it was the tired old deny deny deny with attitude play book.
Such a yawn.

Axe Man
21-09-2023, 04:56 PM

To be fair I think he was talking about in season. Out of season he could do a tour of every shopping centre in Australia for all I care.

bulldogtragic
21-09-2023, 07:21 PM
Running just as fast as we can
Holding on to one another's hand
Trying to get away into the night
And then you put your arms around me
And we tumble to the ground and then you say….

bulldogtragic
21-09-2023, 07:22 PM
I haven't done my
homework yet (That's OK!)
And you know how my
parents get (Whatever!)
I don't care,'cause all my
friends are gonna be there

Everybody come and play
Throw every last care away
Lets go to the mall, today
Lets go to the mall everybody!

angelopetraglia
21-09-2023, 09:36 PM
Reminds me of a famous quote.

Don’t tell me your stock picks. Show me your portfolio.

jeemak
21-09-2023, 09:40 PM
I'm so confused.

Grantysghost
29-09-2023, 10:00 AM
Barrett still pushing this one :

IF ...
the Cats are notorious last-minute deal makers in trade periods, hello Gary Ablett and Jez Cameron ...

THEN ...
expect another one this year. It might be Bailey Smith, despite him being contracted to the Dogs

ledge
29-09-2023, 01:01 PM

IF ...
the Cats are notorious last-minute deal makers in trade periods, hello Gary Ablett and Jez Cameron ...

THEN ...
expect another one this year. It might be Bailey Smith, despite him being contracted to the Dogs

Despite his manager , the club and he himself saying he is staying.
Seems these journos are thick headed.
You could show Barrett a body with 100 bullets in it and a death certificate and he would still say he could recover.

Twodogs
29-09-2023, 01:33 PM
Despite his manager , the club and he himself saying he is staying.
Seems these journos are thick headed.
You could show Barrett a body with 100 bullets in it and a death certificate and he would still say he could recover.

https://youtu.be/Jdf5EXo6I68?si=-uNBi0stPDuTh_J6

azabob
29-09-2023, 01:42 PM
Surely I’m not the only one thinking Smith will request a trade this trade period?

jeemak
29-09-2023, 01:58 PM
Surely I’m not the only one thinking Smith will request a trade this trade period?

You and Barrett.

mjp
29-09-2023, 02:39 PM

I don't think he'll request a trade.

I think Geelong will ask about him, his manager will talk up the possibility and the whole thing will build momentum without any input from Bailey...who will continue to stoically tell everyone he is happy at the Dogs, with Bevo and his contract...

Then he will agree to terms and move to Geelong.

That's what I think.

hujsh
29-09-2023, 02:42 PM

I think Geelong will ask about him, his manager will talk up the possibility and the whole thing will build momentum without any input from Bailey...who will continue to stoically tell everyone he is happy at the Dogs, with Bevo and his contract...

That's what I think.
sad like

jeemak
29-09-2023, 02:42 PM
Yeah I'm keeping an open mind.

Spending his time at Cotton On, just launched a beverage label with production down that way.

There's some serious signs that his next step in life is on the Ballarine.

bulldogsthru&thru
29-09-2023, 03:04 PM
Ultimately we can't have a repeat of the Dunkley situation. If he's not re-signing he needs to go this trade period. We can't again hope he'll re-sign.

bornadog
29-09-2023, 04:28 PM
Ultimately we can't have a repeat of the Dunkley situation. If he's not re-signing he needs to go this trade period. We can't again hope he'll re-sign.

Agree with this - put up or shut up

Grantysghost
29-09-2023, 05:29 PM

Yep, we need to try and leverage something whilst still in contract.
This is the only way to play this game now with the deck stacked in the players favour.
Do you think Dunkley gave a toss about the Dogs when his manager was dealing with the Lions throughout 2022.
Nope. Just brand Dunks.

Grantysghost
29-09-2023, 05:34 PM

That's what I think.

Imagine all the coastal lifestyle photo shoots in his cotton on budgie smugglers.

I too think he will request a trade.

DOG GOD
29-09-2023, 05:41 PM
As long as we get pick 7 and their F1, I don’t care if he goes.

Grantysghost
29-09-2023, 05:42 PM
As long as we get pick 7 and their F1, I don’t care if he goes.

Be a fair indictment on something or someone if we lose our future midfield over the course of two seasons.
I'm with you in isolation, stacking it with Dunkley it feels like something ain't right.

DOG GOD
29-09-2023, 05:47 PM
Be a fair indictment on something or someone if we lose our future midfield over the course of two seasons.
I'm with you in isolation, stacking it with Dunkley it feels like something ain't right.

Dunkley cracked the shits coz he wanted more midfield time. Bailey is in the same boat. This shows me they aren’t TEAM players. If they’re not, then see you later.

1eyedog
29-09-2023, 05:49 PM
Dunkley cracked the shits coz he wanted more midfield time. Bailey is in the same boat. This shows me they aren?t TEAM players. If they?re not, then see you later.

Naughton also allegedly telling Bont to piss off when told to go back late in a game.

Sounds like Bevo is raising spoilt brats

Grantysghost
29-09-2023, 05:59 PM
Dunkley cracked the shits coz he wanted more midfield time. Bailey is in the same boat. This shows me they aren’t TEAM players. If they’re not, then see you later.

Why aren't they team players though is my concern. Why don't they want to be Bulldogs team players?

That's the bigger and scarier concern. As you say might just be a couple of selfish guys, or maybe Bevo isn't in touch with the younger Gen...
I have nfi but it's going to cruel us in a few years unless we can find some replacements.
LDU I'd be throwing mountains at.

bulldogsthru&thru
29-09-2023, 06:12 PM
Why aren't they team players though is my concern. Why don't they want to be Bulldogs team players?

That's the bigger and scarier concern. As you say might just be a couple of selfish guys, or maybe Bevo isn't in touch with the younger Gen...
I have nfi but it's going to cruel us in a few years unless we can find some replacements.

Normally I wouldn't read into such comments but the onfield performances reflect such an attitude so it wouldn't surprise me if it was the case.

Guys like Naughton you can overcome if the rest of the 22 are on board. But it feels like we've got a million of these selfish types.

MrMahatma
30-09-2023, 12:49 AM

IF ...

THEN ...

Where is the running tally of journo predictions and outcomes? Publish that! Make their guesswork to be proven just that. Get Sportsbet to sponsor it. They sponsor stuff less made up.

Topdog
30-09-2023, 07:32 AM
Naughton also allegedly telling Bont to piss off when told to go back late in a game.

Sounds like Bevo is raising spoilt brats

Why do we keep repeating this rubbish? Not even Caro has run with it

DOG GOD
30-09-2023, 09:12 AM

LDU would be the ideal mid for us. Rate him very highly, and would have him over Bailey smith any day.

Grantysghost
30-09-2023, 09:49 AM
LDU would be the ideal mid for us. Rate him very highly, and would have him over Bailey smith any day.

Yeah he's a potential star. Love how he plays.

bulldogtragic
01-10-2023, 08:29 PM
?Geelong are open to trading their top 10 pick for a midfielder, but not Ollie Wines.?

How many mids are out there, gettable and worth say Pick 8?

So I go with:

Geelong: Smith (Pick 8, Rata)
Port: Rata, Sweet, F2-Dogs (F1)
Dogs: Pick 8, F1-Port (Smith, F2) -

Then Picks 18, 36 & F1-Port - to - Essendon or Adelaide Pick 9 or 10 and later positive of points on Pick 36 (DP Trade)

Take to draft 8, 9 or 10, 11 and hopefully Croft (4 first rounders) while keeping our F1.

GVGjr
01-10-2023, 08:40 PM
?Geelong are open to trading their top 10 pick for a midfielder, but not Ollie Wines.?

How many mids are out there, gettable and worth say Pick 8?

So I go with:

Geelong: Smith (Pick 8, Rata)
Port: Rata, Sweet, F2-Dogs (F1)
Dogs: Pick 8, F1-Port (Smith, F2) -

Then Picks 18, 36 & F1-Port - to - Essendon or Adelaide Pick 9 or 10 and later positive of points on Pick 36 (DP Trade)

Take to draft 8, 9 or 10, 11 and hopefully Croft (4 first rounders) while keeping our F1.

It's a nice multi team flip of picks and players but I'm uneasy with the thought of losing Smith. That's going to be a hard one to explain to the supporters and leaves our midfield exposed for next season.

bulldogtragic
01-10-2023, 08:47 PM
It's a nice multi team flip of picks and players but I'm uneasy with the thought of losing Smith. That's going to be a hard one to explain to the supporters and leaves our midfield exposed for next season.

I just have a feeling he’s going. If we can flip it into two firsts, with four this year including Croft, then we can sell that.

Conversely, selling pick 18 (24 after bids) for Hollands and some points might make things a little easier. 8, 11, Croft & Hollands (Lual?) while keeping our first next year sounds good too.

1eyedog
01-10-2023, 08:55 PM
Why do we keep repeating this rubbish? Not even Caro has run with it

Honestly I don't know I just get bored and sometimes like to watch the world burn.

bulldogtragic
04-10-2023, 10:51 PM
Fox Footy & others:

Hawthorn reportedly remains interested in trying to lure Western Bulldogs star Bailey Smith this off-season.

Nine journalist Sam McClure revealed on the Tradies podcast that the Hawks? pursuit of Smith was still alive, though didn?t suggest the 22-year old was going to leave Whitten Oval.

Hawthorn was among the sides linked to Smith earlier this season amid rumblings he could seek a trade, however the midfielder?s manager, Paul Connors from Connor Sports, shut down such talk last month.

Smith, who?s contract expires at the end of next season, grew up barracking for Hawthorn, and McClure confirmed the club hadn?t yet put a line through trying to land the former Pick 7 in the coming weeks.

?My understanding is that Hawthorn has not given up the chase ... and they?re still willing to part with Pick 3 for him,? he said on the Tradies podcast.

Despite suggestions Pick 3 was a big price to pay for Smith, who?s been challenged by some off-field issues in recent years, McClure suggested it would be worth it for a player of the Bulldog?s ilk.

?I?m always a big one for picking the guy who?s a known quantity at AFL level and you?re going to get 10 years out of him, versus Pick 3, which could be hit or miss,? he added.

?Bailey Smith was one of the best players in the competition not so long ago, I know he?s had his issues since then.

bornadog
05-10-2023, 12:23 AM
Another report says Hawks are after pick 1 and want to use 3 as part of the trade.

jazzadogs
05-10-2023, 12:42 AM
Oh so it's still just McClure. When someone who is good at their job starts talking about it, then I'll listen.

Axe Man
05-10-2023, 01:49 PM
Hawks play down possible move for Smith

HAWTHORN head of football Rob McCartney has played down a possible move for Western Bulldogs gun Bailey Smith.

The Hawks have been linked with a potential trade for Smith, who has a year remaining on his contract at the Bulldogs.

But McCartney told AFL.com.au's Sarah Olle and Josh Gabelich on Continental Tyres AFL Trade Radio that a move for the 22-year-old was unlikely.

"The first thing I'm going to say about Bailey is he's a wonderful player. I reckon there's 18 clubs including the Bulldogs who are saying, 'He would make us better,'" he said.

"In saying that, I know that conversations with his manager are very, very clear that he's committed to the Bulldogs in 2024.

"So, at this stage, no, I don't think there's anything happening in that space."

– Dejan Kalinic

FrediKanoute
05-10-2023, 10:23 PM
Jai Newcomb for Bailey Smith? That would be a half decent deal. And some pick swaps?

hujsh
05-10-2023, 10:42 PM
Jai Newcomb for Bailey Smith? That would be a half decent deal. And some pick swaps?

I would, they wouldn't and I doubt the club would.

jeemak
06-10-2023, 01:22 AM

I love what Newcombe is doing at the Hawks and would love him at the Dogs. But he ain't no Bailey Smith at the top of his game.

Bailey Smith has eaten up finals and won them. I get it's unfair as a comparison that Jai hasn't had the chance, but on the trade table outside of swaps between their respective clubs Bailey Smith commands a massive price versus Jai Newcombe for a good reason.

Let's get behind Smith, it's what he needs, and if he's up we do well.

Topdog
06-10-2023, 08:31 AM
Bailey had an average year by his standards, it still included a 3 week patch which few players can match.

GVGjr
06-10-2023, 09:07 AM
Bailey had an average year by his standards, it still included a 3 week patch which few players can match.

It's why I wouldn't want to lose him unless a great deal was on offer and we weren't confident of getting a deal done with him next year. Potential suitors like the Hawks have sort of ruled out a deal for pick 3 and Geelongs pick 7 just seems unders.

The whole Bailey Smith deal or no deal will be a constant discussion through this trade period unless we can somehow shut it down or he re-signs.

bulldogtragic
06-10-2023, 09:13 AM
It's why I wouldn't want to lose him unless a great deal was on offer and we weren't confident of getting a deal done with him next year. Potential suitors like the Hawks have sort of ruled out a deal for pick 3 and Geelongs pick 7 just seems unders.

The whole Bailey Smith deal or no deal will be a constant discussion through this trade period unless we can somehow shut it down or he re-signs.

Say he stays (I think he goes). Does the circus next year improve his game (I.e. Stringer in a contract year) or form a bigger distraction that gets in the way for him?

I think if he was not liking all the negative press this year and it comes next year, then he might not have a break out year and his trade value will plummet. I don’t see WCE going for Pick 4 if they want Curtin. To me Smith is the right move for them. To me, Pick 4 is the right move for us. I hope we don’t shut the door on Hawthorn.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
06-10-2023, 10:07 AM
I love what Newcombe is doing at the Hawks and would love him at the Dogs. But he ain't no Bailey Smith at the top of his game.

Bailey Smith has eaten up finals and won them. I get it's unfair as a comparison that Jai hasn't had the chance, but on the trade table outside of swaps between their respective clubs Bailey Smith commands a massive price versus Jai Newcombe for a good reason.

Let's get behind Smith, it's what he needs, and if he's up we do well.

Yep. I agree.

Bailey is a unique talent, and he's had a rough patch. I really think it would be emblematic of there being some issues with our professionalism as a club, if we were unable to get the best of him. I am 99.99% confident that were he to go to another club, he will tear it up and make us look like fools for the next decade.

We often lament the fact we're not a destination club for high profile players come trade time each year. Our ability to handle situations just like this is really a litmus test for our professionalism as a club.

And if we're not up to the task of managing and fostering the development of special talents, and finding ways to navigate them through personal challenges, then we need to recognise this now and do something.

And it might be that we've missed the bus with Smith....and if that's the case, then that is probably a piece of evidence that would indicate a need for change in our football department.
So if it's too late to keep a hold of Smith( And I'm not suggesting it is- I have no idea), then we need to be pragmatic, and do it this year, and not next.

We will lose as a club, either way. Smith is a 250-300 game player for sure. But if he is going, then we need to make the most of the loss, and to do that we probably need an answer from him this trade period, not next. Would that be fair?

bulldogtragic
06-10-2023, 10:21 AM
Yep. I agree.

Bailey is a unique talent, and he's had a rough patch. I really think it would be emblematic of there being some issues with our professionalism as a club, if we were unable to get the best of him. I am 99.99% confident that were he to go to another club, he will tear it up and make us look like fools for the next decade.

We often lament the fact we're not a destination club for high profile players come trade time each year. Our ability to handle situations just like this is really a litmus test for our professionalism as a club.

And if we're not up to the task of managing and fostering the development of special talents, and finding ways to navigate them through personal challenges, then we need to recognise this now and do something.

And it might be that we've missed the bus with Smith....and if that's the case, then that is probably a piece of evidence that would indicate a need for change in our football department.
So if it's too late to keep a hold of Smith( And I'm not suggesting it is- I have no idea), then we need to be pragmatic, and do it this year, and not next.

We will lose as a club, either way. Smith is a 250-300 game player for sure. But if he is going, then we need to make the most of the loss, and to do that we probably need an answer from him this trade period, not next. Would that be fair?

If I was Smith, I’d want at some point to diversify my followers and business interests by moving clubs. I think he’s going to be a very savvy, wealthy guy. But I don’t suspect footy or one club loyalty will have as much pull. That’s just my read. So as good as he could be and may be elsewhere, I think the pragmatic approach is to listen to offers this year. We don’t have to shop him per se, but we should listen to offers. I think he’s genuinely a unique case and I think the club has gone above and beyond to support him. By his own admission he basically spoked it up this year which is unacceptable.

Grantysghost
06-10-2023, 10:33 AM

Teams never trade good players. Unless they ask to be traded. Or they blow up their cap (Treloar, Grundy).

MrMahatma
06-10-2023, 11:51 AM
Was walking around Chermside (north Brisbane) Westfield last night with my 11 yr old daughter. "Is that Baz?" she asks, as we walk past Cotton On... and there's a MASSIVE picture of the man himself.

The kid (and he's still young) is a very good footballer at his best, and he is legitimately FAMOUS. And he's never once said he wants to leave, has he?

KEEP HIM! He's good for us on field. He's good for us off-field. This isn't the 1980s where we need to sell players to make ends meet. KEEP HIM!

azabob
19-10-2023, 09:53 AM
So... I was wrong. I genuinely believed that Smith would not be at our club come the end of trade period.

I thought Connors was playing us all saying one thing while doing another.

Strangely enough today I am more confident than I was last week of retaining Smith and him being at our club for a long time.

bulldogtragic
19-10-2023, 09:56 AM
Ok. Can he now practice hitting a target inside 50?

hujsh
19-10-2023, 10:52 AM
So... I was wrong. I genuinely believed that Smith would not be at our club come the end of trade period.

I thought Connors was playing us all saying one thing while doing another.

Strangely enough today I am more confident than I was last week of retaining Smith and him being at our club for a long time.

Nah I'm pretty sure he left, Haws fans were sure it's happening... Oh I'm getting word now it's DEFINITELY happening next year. Smith kept it all quiet and didn't request a trade cause he's a nice guy and wanted to treat the Dogs well and none of it leaked despite his profile because people in the AFL industry are just nice like that (except of course to people on BigFooty you have to tell them it's in most club contracts).

Easy to forget how good he was at the start of 2022. I certainly had. He's had a down year and a half though and will want to prove himself and will have all the financial incentive to do so. Expecting a big year from him. Hoping he repays the club that has supported him through all these trials by showing a bit of loyalty.

I'll buy some Barry if he does

ledge
19-10-2023, 11:22 AM
I saw an article he was in Catland . Made me laugh how a player goes to do a gig in another suburb and it’s headlined to make it sound like he is going to Geelong.
Players can’t leave their clubs suburb nowadays it seems even though it’s job related.
The media seriously are the bottom of the barrel when it comes to making something out of nothing.

jazzadogs
19-10-2023, 11:42 AM
Episode one of GETTABLE 2024 - Bazlenka on the move.

bornadog
19-10-2023, 05:22 PM

Sam Power said he had not one inquiry during trade period, however, they will be coming in 2024

Grantysghost
19-10-2023, 05:24 PM

It's a shame he's out of contract otherwise we could hold out for a kings ransom. Although he will probably choose the Premiers.

My guess early doors would be Hawthorn or Geelong. Tom Hawkins money.

azabob
19-10-2023, 06:03 PM
It's a shame he's out of contract otherwise we could hold out for a kings ransom. Although he will probably choose the Premiers.

My guess early doors would be Hawthorn or Geelong. Tom Hawkins money.

So Western Bulldogs then?

GVGjr
23-10-2023, 04:17 PM
Bailey Smith reportedly ‘80 per cent chance’ to leave Bulldogs as AFL rivals circle (https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/western-bulldogs/bailey-smith-reportedly-80-per-cent-chance-to-leave-bulldogs-as-afl-rivals-circle/news-story/c379f79adc23a74e39337a503df7961e)

Western Bulldogs midfielder Bailey Smith is reportedly an “80 per cent” chance of leaving the Dogs at the end of next season.

The 22-year-old is one of the AFL’s most recognisable players but has struggled for form in recent times, finding himself left out of the Bulldogs’ stacked midfield.

With stars including Marcus Bontempelli, Tom Liberatore, Adam Treloar and Jack Macrae playing in the guts — Smith has been starved of opportunity in the midfield.

Smith’s contract expires at the end of 2024 and according to the Herald Sun’s Jon Ralph: “The chances of him moving on seem to be about 80 per cent.

“So the onus is on Smith to work his butt off to improve his kicking and on-ball craft so (coach) Luke Beveridge simply has to give him more centre bounce opportunities.

“Then he can either stay on a significant deal or explore the market at the end of 2024.

“This year his lack of impact meant Beveridge wasn’t proved wrong by pushing him to half forward.”

Smith has been linked with a move to Hawthorn and Geelong, but two other clubs including premiers Collingwood are believed to be “neck deep” in a pursuit of Smith.

Speaking on the Tradies Podcast, footy journalists Mitch Cleary and Sam McClure said the Magpies and Essendon are very keen on Smith.

Cleary: “Bailey Smith. Right here right now, Hawthorn or Geelong? Who is in front?”

McClure: “Right here, right now … I’d have Collingwood and Essendon neck deep in it as well.”

Cleary: “Why on earth do Essendon need another midfielder?”

McClure: “Because they don’t have many very good ones.”

Cleary: “(Darcy) Parish, (Zach) Merrett, (Elijah) Tsatas, (Archie) Perkins … (Ben) Hobbs.

“Geelong would be the most obvious fit. Their midfield with (Patrick) Dangerfield, (Cam) Guthrie and their age demographic.”

McClure: “Bailey makes sense at Geelong, I agree.

“Put it this way, I would be shocked if Bailey Smith has re-signed at the Western Bulldogs by July.

“If they (uncontracted players) don’t sign by then, you know things are moving.”

Cleary: “I agree with you on that.”

Essendon still have a war chest to spend on a marquee recruit like Smith after making plenty of moves in the Trade Period to bring in Ben McKay, Jade Gresham, Todd Goldstein and Xavier Duursma.

“(Bulldogs CEO) Ameet Bains has said that Bailey Smith is a required player,” Caroline Wilson said on Footy Classified in August.

“But there is huge frustration with him, he’s on a huge amount of money, he’s clearly a very high maintenance player, there’s several clubs looking at him, Collingwood and Hawthorn as well as Geelong.”

Kane Cornes said: “I think Geelong is the right home for him, they’ve taken a risk on players like Tyson Stengle with really good results, he’s a hard worker and I think he fits in perfectly (at Geelong).”

Smith has played 103 games for the Bulldogs since being taken with pick No. 7 in the 2018 AFL Draft.

bulldogtragic
23-10-2023, 04:19 PM
12 months of this circus unless Smith re-signs and shuts it down…

jeemak
23-10-2023, 04:23 PM
These people have weird jobs.

The trade period where they were all reliably informed a move on Bailey Smith was in the wings, that resulted in no moves on Bailey Smith has just ended, and now they're all getting aroused by moves on Bailey Smith next trade period and indirectly telling everyone about how aroused they are about it. Weird.

They're like The Hardy Boys from South Park. Continually telling us about their raging clues.

bulldogtragic
23-10-2023, 04:29 PM

The trade period where they were all reliably informed a move on Bailey Smith was in the wings, that resulted in no moves on Bailey Smith has just ended, and now they're all getting aroused by moves on Bailey Smith next trade period and indirectly telling everyone about how aroused they are about it. Weird.

They're like The Hardy Boys from South Park. Continually telling us about their raging clues.

I would actually listen to that episode of their podcast… Sam, I’ve got a raging clue right now. Mitch, I’ve just shot my clue goo all over the mic.

azabob
23-10-2023, 04:38 PM

It is absolutely mind boggling.

How has Jon Ralph calculated the 80%? Is it because there are four clubs who are potential suiters?

azabob
23-10-2023, 04:39 PM
I would actually listen to that episode of their podcast… Sam, I’ve got a raging clue right now. Mitch, I’ve just shot my clue goo all over the mic.

Mate, Ralph is worse - he is reporting! writing a story! on a podcast! GTFOH and get a real job

bulldogtragic
23-10-2023, 04:45 PM
Mate, Ralph is worse - he is reporting! writing a story! on a podcast! GTFOH and get a real job

It’s a pretty ****ed up ecosystem of ‘news’. Embarrassing really.

SquirrelGrip
23-10-2023, 05:10 PM
It is absolutely mind boggling.

How has Jon Ralph calculated the 80%? Is it because there are four clubs who are potential suiters?

Live from the offices of the Herald Sun, this is Jon Ralph calculating the 80% ...

https://i.postimg.cc/wMJ689ZK/Clown-Abacus.png (https://postimg.cc/V0fyXPz4)

angelopetraglia
23-10-2023, 05:56 PM
Seriously. How do they look themselves in the mirror every morning?

Also, how can you be wrong so often, then front up with another speciulative opinion as if nothing happened. In my line of work if you are wrong often, you no longer have customers or a funcitoning business. Game over. Done. The free market is a great filter.

What are the endearing qualities that allow a long career in football journalism in the moder era? Seriously. A loud opinion? Chutzpah? Speculate on outrageous theories? It definitely isn't talent.

Sedat
23-10-2023, 06:06 PM
Seriously. How do they look themselves in the mirror every morning?
Gutter scribes gonna gutter scribe

angelopetraglia
23-10-2023, 06:20 PM
Gutter scribes gonna gutter scribe

But the irony is that they consider what they are doing incredibily important and they are frequently telling us all about their journalistic principles and ethics. I'm not a gutter footy scribe, I'm a serious journalist. How have we gone from the likes of Martin Flanagan to Sam McClure and co?

Grantysghost
23-10-2023, 06:54 PM
My calculations are closer to 90.

English and Marra are the priorities. If Smith at 22 is cracking it with a premiership coach's assessment of where he best suits the team the maybe team isn't his focus.

Backing him to have a big year though and push his trade value right up. Out of contract sucks and as I've mentioned before you never let players go out of contract. Trade them prior if they won't commit, even if it's just one more year.

chef
23-10-2023, 06:59 PM
Should have tried to move him and avoid this circus before he walks anyway.

Grantysghost
23-10-2023, 07:17 PM

Correct.

whythelongface
23-10-2023, 07:27 PM

They need to stay relevant somehow. Their employers require click bait and what better way then to bandy about unsubstantiated rumours. They get the clicks and their sponsors are content. Pretty simple business model. Shows how utterly useless some jobs are out there but someone pays them and we are forced to tolerate their codswallop.

Grantysghost
23-10-2023, 07:30 PM
They need to stay relevant somehow. Their employers require click bait and what better way then to bandy about unsubstantiated rumours. They get the clicks and their sponsors are content. Pretty simple business model. Shows how utterly useless some jobs are out there but someone pays them and we are forced to tolerate their codswallop.

Yep, and we are talking about it so they've hit their mark sadly.

jeemak
23-10-2023, 07:54 PM
Yep, and we are talking about it so they've hit their mark sadly.

And they'd know that a fair portion of what's being said about them is founded in ridicule, but they'll wear that just for the clicks and to keep their jobs.

So if you didn't have contempt for them already, then knowing they're purposefully seeking ridicule to stay in a job should get you over the line.

GVGjr
23-10-2023, 07:58 PM

There are problem with being proactive with this type of move
1) If you fail to get a deal completed it creates a lot of negative press and speculation
2) If the deals being offered undervalues the players real worth the supporters will call that out loudly

When Dunkley and Essendon made their move most supporters thought a first and 2nd rounder was unders for a contracted player and because of Brisbane being compromised by father son picks we receive a genuinely well unders deal for Dunkley

Power mentioned that no one inquired about Smith and his manager confirmed that he was committed too us so it wouldn't have been easy to shop him around without creating a lot of noise.

Grantysghost
23-10-2023, 08:05 PM
There are problem with being proactive with this type of move
1) If you fail to get a deal completed it creates a lot of negative press and speculation
2) If the deals being offered undervalues the players real worth the supporters will call that out loudly

When Dunkley and Essendon made their move most supporters thought a first and 2nd rounder was unders for a contracted player and because of Brisbane being compromised by father son picks we receive a genuinely well unders deal for Dunkley

Power mentioned that no one inquired about Smith and his manager confirmed that he was committed too us so it wouldn't have been easy to shop him around without creating a lot of noise.

How about a one year extension? Can't see a reason both parties wouldn't.
I guess it may make it more difficult for the player to get out.

bornadog
23-10-2023, 08:39 PM
How about a one year extension? Can't see a reason both parties wouldn't.
I guess it may make it more difficult for the player to get out.

I would prefer a longer contract so he shows commitment to the team.

azabob
23-10-2023, 08:42 PM
I would prefer a longer contract so he shows commitment to the team.

I think best case scenario is he signs to his restricted free agency period.

jeemak
23-10-2023, 08:54 PM
I think best case scenario is he signs to his restricted free agency period.

Honestly that's all I'd expect and ask/ hope for - and the angle I'd be taking with him.

Point out that he's been good for us but we've been really good for him, and confirm it's a fair outcome.

Grantysghost
23-10-2023, 09:40 PM
With the +1 I meant at the end of this season

That way, he looks after the club if he's not sure of his future.
Why can't we be mature about these situations.

Now he's uncontracted and if he chooses a team near the top, which he's likely to do, we get screwed again when we are all expecting he will leave.

ledge
24-10-2023, 12:14 AM
We will be the team at the top though.

EasternWest
24-10-2023, 12:35 AM
We will be the team at the top though.

Love it.

mjp
24-10-2023, 12:48 AM
Smith is interesting right now.

On field - I think he's kind of at a 'buy low' point. Off field? He's at a 'Sell High' point. I think his value far exceeds his on-field performances but I'm not sure how you factor that into to footy 'trade' conversations with footy 'trade' people...

Anyway, the point I was coming too - and with no disrespect to supporters of other clubs - "WE" know Bailey the player better than most...I would have seen every game he has ever played at AFL level for instance and I'm sure I'm not alone. Some of his great stuff has been GREAT. But some other stuff...

I remember back when Dylan Shiel was going through his free-agency or whatever it was and moved to Essendon. There had been a few clubs interested in him and he ultimately signed an expensive deal with Essendon. Everyone seems to have a 'different' opinion of Shiel now but back then he was yet another 'talent' who the Giants couldn't keep and they were really going to miss him...the Bombers were lucky to have him.

There was little blow-back from the Giants - I had to admit it but they tend to play a straight bat with this stuff, wishing players well, thanking them for their service etc - but I remember one of their assistant coaches was interviewed and he went away from the script and quietly but pointedly said:
- "You guys do know that he sprays it a bit, right???"...

Shiel's career at Essendon has hit a number of road-blocks but none so strong as the general assessment that once he was forced to play a LEAD role - rather than be down the line from Kelly, Whitfield, Coniglio, Ward etc - his lack of disposal 'precision' really caused him to come unstuck.

I don't want to lose Smith. He is a good player and a highly marketable one who is good for 'US' as long as he wears the colours. From a pure footy POV though, he does 'spray it a bit' and there are short-comings in his game that could see us miss him less onfield than other supporters imagine we would.

Mofra
24-10-2023, 08:52 AM
Smith is interesting right now.

On field - I think he's kind of at a 'buy low' point. Off field? He's at a 'Sell High' point. I think his value far exceeds his on-field performances but I'm not sure how you factor that into to footy 'trade' conversations with footy 'trade' people...

Anyway, the point I was coming too - and with no disrespect to supporters of other clubs - "WE" know Bailey the player better than most...I would have seen every game he has ever played at AFL level for instance and I'm sure I'm not alone. Some of his great stuff has been GREAT. But some other stuff...

I remember back when Dylan Shiel was going through his free-agency or whatever it was and moved to Essendon. There had been a few clubs interested in him and he ultimately signed an expensive deal with Essendon. Everyone seems to have a 'different' opinion of Shiel now but back then he was yet another 'talent' who the Giants couldn't keep and they were really going to miss him...the Bombers were lucky to have him.

There was little blow-back from the Giants - I had to admit it but they tend to play a straight bat with this stuff, wishing players well, thanking them for their service etc - but I remember one of their assistant coaches was interviewed and he went away from the script and quietly but pointedly said:
- "You guys do know that he sprays it a bit, right???"...

Shiel's career at Essendon has hit a number of road-blocks but none so strong as the general assessment that once he was forced to play a LEAD role - rather than be down the line from Kelly, Whitfield, Coniglio, Ward etc - his lack of disposal 'precision' really caused him to come unstuck.

I don't want to lose Smith. He is a good player and a highly marketable one who is good for 'US' as long as he wears the colours. From a pure footy POV though, he does 'spray it a bit' and there are short-comings in his game that could see us miss him less onfield than other supporters imagine we would.
All fair, but GWS has a pipeline of young mids and we have... crickets.
He can be off with his kicking, but is some of that vision/composure rather than skill?
He does have a huge workrate and that's valuable.

I dare say he'd be a far less critical player for us if we had talented, developing mids sitting underneath him. And we're likely to miss out on a top-end mid again this year

Bullies
24-10-2023, 09:01 AM
My calculations are closer to 90.

English and Marra are the priorities. If Smith at 22 is cracking it with a premiership coach's assessment of where he best suits the team the maybe team isn't his focus.

Backing him to have a big year though and push his trade value right up. Out of contract sucks and as I've mentioned before you never let players go out of contract. Trade them prior if they won't commit, even if it's just one more year. Agree I don't think the club will be able to compete with the bigger clubs as to what they can offer in regards to marketing. It is also in the interest of Connors where he gets a cut off 20% for all marketing deals and only 5% for playing contracts. The big clubs won't mind paying overs as they will be able to get it back in merchandising and sponsorship. Our priorities need to be those players who want to be there - Marra/English.

Lets hope Bailey has a big year to ensure we get some decent compensation and not the unders we got for Dunks. Unfortunately like it or not we are not a destination club or one of the Big 5 which makes it hard to retain the type of player/person Bailey is.

angelopetraglia
24-10-2023, 10:02 AM
What do we make of Baz holidaying with a big group of Bulldogs players and sharing that all over social media in the last week or so. From what I can decipher from the photos, he is as happy about his abs as he is with teamates. That has to be a postive?

ledge
24-10-2023, 10:06 AM
All the rubbish about him leaving etc and I see people having a go at him .
Remember it’s all media wanting clicks.
All we have heard from his Manager is he is happy .
Don’t fall into the trap of being a bombers supporter and saying they are great players then when rumours float around they are leaving all of a sudden it’s good riddance they were no good anyway.
He is a very good player and will get better because that’s his work ethic, we want a player like that around the club to keep others seeing how hard he works.
Let’s just calm the farm a bit , there is a lot of water to go under the bridge.

hujsh
24-10-2023, 10:15 AM
What do we make of Baz holidaying with a big group of Bulldogs players and sharing that all over social media in the last week or so. From what I can decipher from the photos, he is as happy about his abs as he is with teamates. That has to be a postive?

Who's he with? Can't recognise anyone and one bloke looks like Charlie Curnow with the curly hair

jazzadogs
24-10-2023, 10:21 AM
Who's he with? Can't recognise anyone and one bloke looks like Charlie Curnow with the curly hair

JJs wedding. Plenty of other dogs there.

Bedendo looked a bit like Curnow in one photo - but also Baz and Curnow do have a relationship as they are partners in the alcohol business. Curnow is bringing out his own version of Barry soon.

GVGjr
24-10-2023, 10:35 AM
I suspect there is going to be an element of fatigue for our supporters with the will he or won't he go being a common theme.
That's just part of the Bailey Smith experience and we will have to wait it out.
Lets hope he gets back into some form in 2024.

Axe Man
24-10-2023, 10:37 AM
https://i.postimg.cc/h4Cd8FQ5/Capture.png (https://postimages.org/)

https://i.postimg.cc/kXBtfjxX/Capture1.png (https://postimages.org/)

Read something recently suggesting Baz was a bit of an outsider amongst the playing group so it is good to see him with many current and past players.

The Pie Man
24-10-2023, 10:38 AM
All fair, but GWS has a pipeline of young mids and we have... crickets.
He can be off with his kicking, but is some of that vision/composure rather than skill?
He does have a huge workrate and that's valuable.

I dare say he'd be a far less critical player for us if we had talented, developing mids sitting underneath him. And we're likely to miss out on a top-end mid again this year

Unless Hawthorn take Watson and we take Sanders, who looks every bit an inside mid

hujsh
24-10-2023, 11:06 AM
https://i.postimg.cc/kXBtfjxX/Capture1.png (https://postimages.org/)

Jongy!

soupman
24-10-2023, 11:08 AM
Gowers, Wood, Wallis and Webb other exes to make the cut

hujsh
24-10-2023, 11:08 AM
Unless Hawthorn take Watson and we take Sanders, who looks every bit an inside mid

Yeah with the draft order as it is now could easily end up with Sanders or Curtin, both of whom could end up very good mids.

Watson might have a little bit of Daicos in him to get up the ground as needed watching one of his highlight videos (VICM vs WA) but is probably always going to be mostly a forward.

Grantysghost
24-10-2023, 11:13 AM
Gowers, Wood, Wallis and Webb other exes to make the cut

Billy and Marra out on the turps.

Bali look out xD

The Bulldogs Bite
24-10-2023, 03:56 PM
No Stringer at JJ's wedding? ;)

Twodogs
25-10-2023, 08:22 PM
No Stringer at JJ's wedding? ;)

Maybe the current squeeze said no?

Grantysghost
25-10-2023, 08:28 PM
Maybe the current squeeze said no?

Had VCE exams.

Scraggers
25-10-2023, 08:35 PM
Had VCE exams.

See, I was going to say she's going for her P plates ... yours was better repartee.

jeemak
25-10-2023, 09:09 PM
Had VCE exams.

See, I was going to say she's going for her P plates ... yours was better repartee.

It's great how you can now do VCE subjects in Y10.

Grantysghost
25-10-2023, 09:10 PM
It's great how you can now do VCE subjects in Y10.

Ha, double zing.

Grantysghost
25-10-2023, 09:10 PM

Would've worked :)

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
25-10-2023, 09:58 PM
Stringer had problems getting there for JJ's wedding. Turns out he thoight he only needed to be borderline flying...so he forgot to get his passport renewed.

Grantysghost
25-10-2023, 10:33 PM
Stringer had problems getting there for JJ's wedding. Turns out he thoight he only needed to be borderline flying...so he forgot to get his passport renewed.

Ha nice.

Axe Man
26-10-2023, 01:56 PM
Cheeky by the social media team, upon first glance you could be mistaken for thinking Baz had signed for 4 years!

https://i.postimg.cc/jd6y5M5Q/Capture.png (https://postimages.org/)

mjp
26-10-2023, 03:23 PM
Cheeky by the social media team, upon first glance you could be mistaken for thinking Baz had signed for 4 years!

Well, they got me!

Given I didn't know McDonalds were a sponsor then I guess they have done well here...

MrMahatma
26-10-2023, 03:57 PM
I didn’t know Maccas had anything to do with us either.

GVGjr
26-10-2023, 04:36 PM

I think they've been a Platinum Partner along with 4 other companies for many years.

Twodogs
26-10-2023, 06:20 PM
Well, they got me!

Given I didn't know McDonalds were a sponsor then I guess they have done well here...

Me three. They've been keeping that sponsorship quiet.

jeemak
26-10-2023, 10:01 PM
They can suck my balls with this.

So can the club for allowing it.

bornadog
27-10-2023, 12:24 AM
Me three. They've been keeping that sponsorship quiet.

Not really - many times have they shouted a free Maccas if we win in Ballarat for example.

MrMahatma
27-10-2023, 09:17 AM
Not really - many times have they shouted a free Maccas if we win in Ballarat for example.

Maccas do that up here if Lions or Suns win and you go to the game.

Stevo
27-10-2023, 09:55 AM
I like Baz but Im getting a little bit annoyed that this type of circus will likely drag on for the next 10 months.
If he is happy at the club then he should commit to us quickly in the new season. Its not like he will ever struggle for money.

ledge
27-10-2023, 11:47 AM
I like Baz but Im getting a little bit annoyed that this type of circus will likely drag on for the next 10 months.
If he is happy at the club then he should commit to us quickly in the new season. Its not like he will ever struggle for money.

Have you watched the show Beckham ? It’s kinda the same about not letting your outside interests compromise your football.
Is it or isn’t it , I would certainly say it would be in the conversation and contract on what he can and can’t do . Eg can’t miss training etc .
Personally at his age I think he is doing a great job juggling both.
Last seasons bad year was more about football than outside of it .
We also need to realise he is only young and all footballers have a bad year . He has been brilliant as a young boy coming into AFL it was probably due.
I don’t think he wants to leave and will sign again if the offers are close to ours . He would be earning heaps out of it anyway . Comes to a time staying with your mates could be the difference .
He looks very close to most players so let’s hope that his decision is in our favour.

Twodogs
27-10-2023, 12:49 PM
Have you watched the show Beckham ? It?s kinda the same about not letting your outside interests compromise your football.
Is it or isn?t it , I would certainly say it would be in the conversation and contract on what he can and can?t do . Eg can?t miss training etc .
Personally at his age I think he is doing a great job juggling both.
Last seasons bad year was more about football than outside of it .
We also need to realise he is only young and all footballers have a bad year . He has been brilliant as a young boy coming into AFL it was probably due.
I don?t think he wants to leave and will sign again if the offers are close to ours . He would be earning heaps out of it anyway . Comes to a time staying with your mates could be the difference .
He looks very close to most players so let?s hope that his decision is in our favour.

Bevo should throw a boot at him. Beckham readjusted his focus back on the game when Fergy did it.

hujsh
27-10-2023, 12:51 PM
Bevo should throw a boot at him. Beckham readjusted his focus back on the game when Fergy did it.

'Kick'. It's more impressive that way anyway

Hotdog60
02-11-2023, 09:55 AM
Bailey Smith to train with Nick Daicos in New York as crucial pre-season preparations ramp up

The Bulldogs star is tapping up the Collingwood premiership hero as he hunts a lucrative new contract.
Western Bulldogs midfielder Bailey Smith has revealed he will link up with Collingwood premiership hero Nick Daicos for a training camp in New York.

Smith is in the midst of a ?pretty big? off-season ahead of the most crucial year of his AFL career to date, looking to reestablish himself as a midfielder while eyeing off a bumper new contract for 2025 and beyond.

And with the Dogs hunting a return to the finals, having missed out in 2023 despite a 12-11 record, any improvement promises to help push the team towards the top eight.

Smith, after a ?disappointing? individual campaign, has already accepted the need to avoid ?the trap of over-training? and promised to ?attack? whatever role he is assigned by coach Luke Beveridge.

Now the 22-year-old will tap into one of the game?s youngest stars for some inspiration.

?Heading off to New York soon so it?ll be good to do a few training sessions over there with Nick Daicos,? Smith told 7NEWS Melbourne?s Mitch Cleary.

https://images.7news.com.au/publication/C-12397756/06c2e4d0269c6adf915f44e3b1208028d85eed32.jpg?imwidth=828&impolicy=sevennews_v2

?That?ll be super fun. Just doing what I can do without overdoing it mate. Enjoying it.?

The footballers, who are business partners and share a sponsor in Monster Energy, will visit the NBA?s Brooklyn Nets and take in some MMA training.

The 20-year-old Daicos established himself further this year when he finished third in the Brownlow Medal and helped Collingwood win the flag.

?I think something where we?ve got a lot of room to grow in AFL is appreciating great players as they come along,? Smith said.

?I love watching his journey and then to be able to work together over this off-season will be amazing.

?Hopefully I can have a year like his next year.?

https://images.7news.com.au/publication/C-12397756/8e2a87aec11ced1af7b75faf0ac36e9bdfebff31.jpg?imwidth=828&impolicy=sevennews_v2

Smith was involved in a contract tease last week in response to fresh rumours that he is an ?80 per cent chance? of moving clubs.

The Bulldogs used the high-profile superstar to plug a new four-year sponsorship, with their caption leading fans to initially believe he had already re-signed.

But a new deal is ?not really at the forefront? of his mind right now.

?There?s so much room left to grow and do in the imminent months now with pre-season,? Smith said.

?Just itching for Round 1 to come around already, which is annoying because you?ve got to pace yourself. Just keen to smack out the next (few months).?

Smith is bound to have a decision to make eventually with the Bulldogs battling several clubs - Hawthorn, Geelong, Collingwood and Essendon have all been named as interest parties - for his signature.

For now, a finals charge with the Dogs is all that matters.

?I think we?re all bloody keen,? Smith said.

?The facilities (Whitten Oval redevelopment) are almost up and running at the Dogs, which has been exciting. Everyone?s keen at this point of the year, it?s a long time till the season comes.

?The main thing is just keeping the body healthy and the mind right, and I really hope the rest takes care of itself next year and we actually have a good year.?

LINK (https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/bailey-smith-in-amazing-nick-daicos-development-c-12397756)

ledge
02-11-2023, 10:04 AM
An article about nothing trying to back up a an opinion by an ex player at the end of it.

bulldogtragic
02-11-2023, 10:04 AM
Plough > Spew.

I’m sick of this already.

Axe Man
02-11-2023, 10:09 AM
An article about nothing trying to back up a an opinion by an ex player at the end of it.

It's an article about him training with Nick Daicos in New York, it's fine to post, some people may be interested.

Not sure what you mean by the ex player? John Ralph wrote the 80% rubbish.

Grantysghost
02-11-2023, 10:09 AM
He loves the lime light.

Big club lure will be too strong.

ledge
02-11-2023, 10:58 AM
It's an article about him training with Nick Daicos in New York, it's fine to post, some people may be interested.

Not sure what you mean by the ex player? John Ralph wrote the 80% rubbish.

Sorry I thought it was Cooney.
But the fact is the article brings it up trying to keep the story going.
It does make me laugh how players going overseas for training is written about, clubs, players have been doing it for years. And of course they are going to train while away as they have to turn up to training fit.

Sedat
02-11-2023, 11:02 AM
Being an AFL footballer is merely a brand extension for the younger brigade. Of course if you are a crap player (or talented but non-committed/off the rails), you have less leverage for all your other business interests, which I'm sure Smith's management are drumming into their client on a daily basis.

So long as he has a ripping pre-season, gives himself maximum opportunity for maximum output in 2024, and helps us become a genuine premiership contender, I don't really care about the contract situation - it will sort itself out one way or the other. Just give me a flag in 2024.

chef
02-11-2023, 11:25 AM
Saw the fluff piece on 7 news last night and all could think is can we trade him already. The Bailey circus is going to be unbearable.

Would have thought the last 12 months may have humbled him but not.

hujsh
02-11-2023, 11:32 AM
Almost would have been ideal if we was just traded I kind of agree. I'll change my tune if he stays but not looking forward to this year and the speculation

Grantysghost
02-11-2023, 11:33 AM
Saw the fluff piece on 7 news last night and all could think is can we trade him already. The Bailey circus is going to be unbearable.

So immature as an industry that we can't see the writing on the wall and trade whilst he is contracted.

Bulldog4life
02-11-2023, 11:41 AM

Personally it doesn't worry me.

bornadog
02-11-2023, 11:52 AM
Personally it doesn't worry me.

Me neither. He is a Bulldog and gives us some exposure. Hopefully we sign him up sooner rather than later as I don't want to go through the whole season with the stupid speculation.

Sedat
02-11-2023, 11:59 AM
The Bailey circus is going to be unbearable.
The entire AFEL industry is a circus. It's all about CoNtEnT.

Bailey is simply one of the higher profile members of the circus - the white noise around his contract speculation will have precisely nothing to do with the on-field performance of our club in 2024.

Win a flag in 2024 and none of us will give a shit about any of it.

chef
02-11-2023, 12:00 PM
Me neither. He is a Bulldog and gives us some exposure. Hopefully we sign him up sooner rather than later as I don't want to go through the whole season with the stupid speculation.

So it would bother you?

chef
02-11-2023, 12:01 PM
The entire AFEL industry is a circus. It's all about CoNtEnT.

Bailey is simply one of the higher profile members of the circus - the white noise around his contract speculation will have precisely nothing to do with the on-field performance of our club in 2024.

Win a flag in 2024 and none of us will give a shit about any of it.

I guess to win a flag you need just about everything going right for you, having a Bailey sized distraction in the squad is not going to be ideal to me.

bornadog
02-11-2023, 12:06 PM
So it would bother you?

Not Bailey, the speculation side from the MSM including, English and JUH

Happy Days
02-11-2023, 12:20 PM
I think the circus works weirdly in our favour.

I love Baz, want to keep him and fully support him getting as many bags as possible but the facts are that he’s played pretty average footy for 2 years. Yet for hot guy instagram hard seltzer based reasons he’s still thought of as a superstar; no one ever talks about how poor his on field output has been, just that he’s a superstar who’s gonna be an even bigger one. Which might be true but also might not be?

You’d think that clubs can usually see through this stuff but sometimes they don’t. It certainly doesn’t hurt our chances at maximising compo for him if he does leave.

kruder
02-11-2023, 12:22 PM
If he stays or goes we just need Bailey to get back to his best, its going to be very interesting to see where we play him.

Not just to keep him I would prioritise him as an inside mid and demand his defensive side stand up because he does have the ability to apply pressure. If that means Treloar moves around little bit then I'm happy to do so.

Axe Man
02-11-2023, 12:27 PM
I love Baz, want to keep him and fully support him getting as many bags as possible

Ummm

Sedat
02-11-2023, 12:33 PM
I guess to win a flag you need just about everything going right for you, having a Bailey sized distraction in the squad is not going to be ideal to me.
Only if he's playing shit and is non-committal in 2024 - if he plays at the optimum level he is capable of (ie: 2021 finals level) there will be no negative distractions, and the increased focus/discussion around his contract will largely be welcome for both him and the club.

The Bulldogs Bite
02-11-2023, 12:39 PM
So where does he play?

If we want him fully invested, he probably needs to be the #1 mid (i.e. Bont ideally spends some time forward).

To get the best out of him, I think we kind of need to feed his ego. Make him the #1 man in the middle.

Happy Days
02-11-2023, 12:41 PM
Ummm

I said what I said

EasternWest
02-11-2023, 12:54 PM
Ummm

I said what I said

Ha ha ha.

hujsh
02-11-2023, 01:13 PM
So where does he play?

If we want him fully invested, he probably needs to be the #1 mid (i.e. Bont ideally spends some time forward).

To get the best out of him, I think we kind of need to feed his ego. Make him the #1 man in the middle.

Yeah but at what point are we prioritising what's best for him before what's best for the team? Maybe there is a way that playing Bont on a flank and giving him free license to just read the game and be wherever he things he needs to be works for us if Smith, Libba, Treloar and Macrae can pull the load in the middle.

Or maybe we rob Peter to pay Paul and drop about half of what we stole on the way.

The Bulldogs Bite
02-11-2023, 01:18 PM
Yeah but at what point are we prioritising what's best for him before what's best for the team? Maybe there is a way that playing Bont on a flank and giving him free license to just read the game and be wherever he things he needs to be works for us if Smith, Libba, Treloar and Macrae can pull the load in the middle.

Or maybe we rob Peter to pay Paul and drop about half of what we stole on the way.

What's best for Smith is what's best for us in this case. We need him to be an elite midfielder, not a half forward who pushes up to the stoppage.

Bont needs to be managed better IMO. Clearly our best player, but I feel he often hits the wall a few weeks out from the end of the season. Preserving him is important, as is giving responsibility to others. I feel there can often be a stench of "well, Bont will do it" but if the load is shared it forces others to step up ... or out.

Twodogs
02-11-2023, 01:31 PM
Smith was involved in a contract tease last week in response to fresh rumours that he is an "80 per cent chance" of moving clubs.

Repeat a lie often enough and it becomes the truth

-Joseph Goebbels

SALE ENDS SUNDAY!!!!

jeemak
02-11-2023, 05:41 PM
He's surely going to lose the mullet schtick at some point though. He's becoming a pantomime of himself these days.

Axe Man
02-11-2023, 06:10 PM
He's surely going to lose the mullet schtick at some point though. He's becoming a pantomime of himself these days.

Only when Women's Day or whoever stump up enough for the exclusive rights.

MrMahatma
02-11-2023, 08:52 PM
His training has never been an issue has it?

It’s cool he’s training with Nick. Hope he learns some stuff.

One word of caution to Nick though. Don’t get photographed without your shirt on beside Baz

jazzadogs
03-11-2023, 08:02 AM
Couldn't care less that he is working hard with pre season running - of course he is. Let me know when he's focussing on improving his disposal, and his output in the role required of him.

The issue has never been fitness or strength. It's him thinking he is better than he is and deserves more than he's getting.

Topdog
03-11-2023, 10:18 AM
His training has never been an issue has it?

It’s cool he’s training with Nick. Hope he learns some stuff.

Be great if he learns about teamwork and how to sacrifice yourself to improve the team.

MrMahatma
03-11-2023, 01:11 PM
Be great if he learns about teamwork and how to sacrifice yourself to improve the team.

Does Daicos do that?

He certainly is a good user.

Curly5
03-11-2023, 01:27 PM

The young girls love him as he is. Let him be a young bloke.

ledge
03-11-2023, 03:03 PM
He is huge click bait for the girls, surely we take that into account when his contract is discussed, big plus in selling merchandise.

hujsh
03-11-2023, 03:04 PM
He is huge click bait for the girls, surely we take that into account when his contract is discussed, big plus in selling merchandise.

Merch sales don't increase our salary cap though. Can't lose sight of that. If this was the EPL or something it would be a more major consideration

BornInDroopSt'54
06-11-2023, 12:24 PM
So where does he play?

This is the point.
He did not thrive out of the middle this tragic year.
Great that he is training in NY with Daicos.

Topdog
06-11-2023, 01:44 PM
Does Daicos do that?

He certainly is a good user.

Daicos left money at the table when re-signing for Collingwood.

Axe Man
04-12-2023, 04:57 PM
Bailey Smith parties at The Espy, St Kilda to celebrate launch of new alcoholic drink ?Barry?
(https://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/confidential/bailey-smith-parties-at-the-espy-st-kilda-to-celebrate-launch-of-new-alcoholic-drink-barry/news-story/57d0e718bfe8d5ac88247c0ce4247065)
Bulldogs young gun Bailey Smith was joined by a bevy of beauties and best mates to launch his new passion project, taking over a popular St Kilda bar to mark the occasion.

Some of the biggest names in footy have made a splash with the first big promotion for their passion project.

Bulldogs star Bailey Smith, who spearheaded the launch of Australian-made drink named Barry, celebrated the brand with a Summer party at The Espy in St Kilda on Saturday night.

Smith was joined by an array of AFL stars, as well as a bevy of young beauties with DJ Tobiahs taking to the decks.

Backing the alcohol venture is Smith and fellow superstars Nick and Josh Daicos, Charlie Curnow and NRL star Reece Walsh.

Barry is now available at The Espy.

?We?ve put tons of effort into it and I?ve really enjoyed the whole process from the flavour development, branding, and production to the distribution,?? Smith told the Herald Sun.

Smith took some Barry drinks with him when he and Nick Daicos recently went to the US for some training.

?Barry has given me a creative outlet and I?ve spent many days going through mood boards and mock ups to get the right look,?? Smith said.

Smith, who partnered with Champagne Lyla for The Espy event, intends to do a bigger summer party in Sorrento which will attract another big crowd.

Barry is at all Liquorland and First Choice Liquor Market stores and online.

Sedat
04-12-2023, 05:17 PM
Bailey Smith parties at The Espy, St Kilda to celebrate launch of new alcoholic drink ?Barry?
(https://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/confidential/bailey-smith-parties-at-the-espy-st-kilda-to-celebrate-launch-of-new-alcoholic-drink-barry/news-story/57d0e718bfe8d5ac88247c0ce4247065)
Bulldogs young gun Bailey Smith was joined by a bevy of beauties and best mates to launch his new passion project, taking over a popular St Kilda bar to mark the occasion.

Some of the biggest names in footy have made a splash with the first big promotion for their passion project.

Bulldogs star Bailey Smith, who spearheaded the launch of Australian-made drink named Barry, celebrated the brand with a Summer party at The Espy in St Kilda on Saturday night.

Smith was joined by an array of AFL stars, as well as a bevy of young beauties with DJ Tobiahs taking to the decks.

Backing the alcohol venture is Smith and fellow superstars Nick and Josh Daicos, Charlie Curnow and NRL star Reece Walsh.

?We?ve put tons of effort into it and I?ve really enjoyed the whole process from the flavour development, branding, and production to the distribution,?? Smith told the Herald Sun.

Smith took some Barry drinks with him when he and Nick Daicos recently went to the US for some training.

?Barry has given me a creative outlet and I?ve spent many days going through mood boards and mock ups to get the right look,?? Smith said.

Smith, who partnered with Champagne Lyla for The Espy event, intends to do a bigger summer party in Sorrento which will attract another big crowd.

Baz needs to work on his corporate buzz word game - gets a tick for the use of "process", as well as some creative execution style points for "mood boards" and "mock ups". However, he gets a cross for the vanilla "branding" option, missing a golden opportunity to insert "synergy" and "mutually beneficial outcomes".

azabob
04-12-2023, 05:30 PM
Baz needs to work on his corporate buzz word game - gets a tick for the use of "process", as well as some creative execution style points for "mood boards" and "mock ups". However, he gets a cross for the vanilla "branding" option, missing a golden opportunity to insert "synergy" and "mutually beneficial outcomes".

He actually needs to remove the word process and swap it out. Process is too footy generic.

chef
04-12-2023, 05:42 PM

Its sad what the Espy has become.

Grantysghost
04-12-2023, 05:46 PM

OMG Agree.

Used to be an every Saturday place for me in the 90s.

The Gershwin room... the bar etc. wowee.

If you haven't seen Blood Duster at the Espy you haven't lived.

The public bar in North Melbourne was next level, with the Tote etc.

hujsh
04-12-2023, 06:01 PM

OMG Agree.

https://media.tenor.com/2Jv0uCMddykAAAAC/whatever-whatever-you-say.gif

Grantysghost
04-12-2023, 06:15 PM
https://media.tenor.com/2Jv0uCMddykAAAAC/whatever-whatever-you-say.gif

Gold. I'm gen x. So you just exposed your prejudice.

Let me guess.....

Millennial?? ;)

Wait...isn't Bernie a boomer!!!

Twodogs
04-12-2023, 06:28 PM
OMG Agree.

When I first started going to gigs there was the Thursday night crawl
Free bands at the Esplanade, the Prince of Wales and the Crystal Ballroom every Thursday night. Cosmic Psychos, I Spit On Your Gravy, Slaughtermen, Olympic Sideburns and Painters and Dockers. Great nights

Grantysghost
04-12-2023, 06:30 PM
When I first started going to gigs there was the Thursday night crawl
Free bands at the Esplanade, the Prince of Wales and the Crystal Ballroom every Thursday night. Cosmic Psychos, I Spit On Your Gravy, Slaughtermen, Olympic Sideburns and Painters and Dockers. Great nights

Amazing times mate - shame the younger peeps now have nothing like this.

Taylor Swift en masse seems the scene (insert vomit emoji)

hujsh
04-12-2023, 06:52 PM
Gold. I'm gen x. So you just exposed your prejudice.

Let me guess.....

Millennial?? ;)

Wait...isn't Bernie a boomer!!!

I'm over 30 so I'm a Boomer now

Twodogs
04-12-2023, 07:00 PM
Amazing times mate - shame the younger peeps now have nothing like this.

Taylor Swift en masse seems the scene (insert vomit emoji)

They sure were. The favourite times of my life. Great venues, great bands and plentiful amounts of cheap good quality amphetamine.

No sleep til Sunday!

chef
04-12-2023, 07:08 PM
OMG Agree.

We would have crossed paths, i did see blood duster.

Punters club, the Ev, the Club, POW etc there was a lot of great spots for live music in the 90s.

Twodogs
04-12-2023, 07:47 PM

Punters club, the Ev, the Club, POW etc there was a lot of great spots for live music in the 90s.

Users Club, the Old Greek Theatre (saw the Pogues there ) the Corner, the Richmond Club, the Palace, Continental Club, the Arthouse, Central Club.

But the Venue on the lower Esplanade on St Kilda next to the Esplanade hotel was the best place in Melbourne to see a band.

We were so lucky to have all those venues and bands back in the day

Happy Days
04-12-2023, 11:40 PM
I was at the Tote last week. It’s back to full Meet Me in the Pit status. Espy sucks and has my entire adult life.

Mofra
05-12-2023, 04:52 PM

Ditto, but in the 2000s (D!F!F!)

Gentrification simply pushes venues out a bit more, bands can't afford sharehouses close to those gig places (although the Tote & The Bedigo still do their bit for Collingwood).

Bailey Smith wouldn't be caught dead in any of these places I'd guess.

Dazza
05-12-2023, 08:26 PM

Used to be a place for anybody

Scraggers
13-12-2023, 03:14 PM
Reports Baz has done an ACL

hujsh
13-12-2023, 03:16 PM

Terrible news for him

angelopetraglia
13-12-2023, 03:17 PM
DEVASTATING news for both him and the club. Also, what does this mean for his contract?

Hotdog60
Injury Update: Bailey Smith

The Western Bulldogs can confirm that midfielder Bailey Smith has suffered an ACL injury during today’s training session.

https://resources.westernbulldogs.com.au/photo-resources/2023/12/13/33e3b853-fcda-4eb8-82ec-19960dc0a840/MicrosoftTeams-image-109-.png?width=1064&height=600

The Western Bulldogs can confirm that midfielder Bailey Smith has suffered an ACL injury during today’s training session.

The 23-year-old left the track midway through the session, with scans confirming the extent of the injury to his knee.

“We’re all extremely disappointed for Bailey, and empathise with him greatly,” Bulldogs’ Executive Director of Football, Chris Grant said.

“The entire Club will rally around him during this difficult time, as he begins his rehab journey.”

The Club will provide a further update in due course.

LINK (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1477442/injury-update-bailey-smith)

Jeanette54
Terrible news for him

And us, he was set to be a big part of our improvement. Hopefully we have some sort of personal support for longer term injuries. Not everyone has the resilience of a Clay Smith.

Prince Imperial
13-12-2023, 03:18 PM
Bloody hell.

We suffer more ACLs than any other club by a long way.

Hotdog60
13-12-2023, 03:19 PM
Contract:
Bailey "Guys I'll sign that contract now if you want."
Sam "It's ok Bailey we can wait till next year"

Mofra
13-12-2023, 03:21 PM
Poor guy. Tough news

hujsh
13-12-2023, 03:24 PM
I wonder what that means for him? Does he sign a contract to free agency and back himself to ramp up for a big deal again or does he still look for a move this year and cash in what he can. Big risk for another club IMO Bailey had a lot to prove this year.

angelopetraglia
13-12-2023, 03:27 PM
Gee whiz. I'm so flat. Such bad news. Also, there is no good timing for an ACL. But just prior to Xmas is close to the worst possible time (Worst possibly time is probably just a few weeks before the first round). As you definitely miss an entire season of football and even will go into next pre-season still recovering.

josie
13-12-2023, 03:29 PM
Guessing it’s more likely he stays with us.

Bloody horrible. I reckon he was going to put in a stunning year.

I think our club is good at supporting injured players. He’ll have a good mentor in Libba on what it takes to recover.

chef
13-12-2023, 03:29 PM
Damn. That sucks on a few levels, him personally, for our mid field next year and his trade currency next off season.

GVGjr
13-12-2023, 03:35 PM

There were a few WOOFers there today on that side of the ground as well and it was just one of those things, I'm not sure he was even tackled or likely to be tackled. He just changed direction before falling doubled over in pain. 4 minutes later he walked off the ground with no assistance but flanked by two medico's. The moment it happened the coaches appear to use a walkie talkie to inform the medicos who rushed there.

Sedat
13-12-2023, 03:45 PM
I think our club is good at supporting injured players. He’ll have a good mentor in Libba on what it takes to recover.
Alex Johnson also knows a thing or two about ACL's.

bornadog
13-12-2023, 03:52 PM
Big blow. I hate ACLs and the length of time it takes to get over it.

The Bulldogs Bite
Worst possible news for him and us.

Axe Man
Bloody hell.

We suffer more ACLs than any other club by a long way.

I'm willing to bet that is not at all true.

Terrible news but given Baz is such a dedicated trainer you would imagine he will tackle his rehab with similar dedication.

Bad news for us if he decides to leave as his trade value just plummeted.

bulldogsthru&thru
13-12-2023, 03:56 PM
Not great at all. He was raring to go for a huge season.

Are things going to get tense now? If he won't sign with us and wants out, but we're going to be rehabbing him for his next club?

G-Mo77
13-12-2023, 04:05 PM
Oh FFS!!!

bulldogtragic
13-12-2023, 04:08 PM
Double down on Sanders being our first rising star.

Stevo
13-12-2023, 04:17 PM
Heart-wrenching news. I feel so sorry for Bailey.

Mantis
13-12-2023, 04:22 PM
Crappy news... was hoping that he would be one of the reasons we improved in '24.

Sedat
13-12-2023, 04:26 PM
Double down on Sanders being our first rising star.
Trading up to get Sanders and bringing in Harmes are both looking very astute decisions now.

As big a blow as this is for Bailey and for us, through our off-season list management decisions we have given ourselves additional depth in the midfield to cover such an unfortunate eventuality.

Also, and as brutal as it sounds, it probably doesn't hurt us with regard to retaining Bailey at least until he hits free agency. Other clubs will probably be scared off from offering the huge long-term carrot they otherwise might have done at the end of 2024 (they still might). He remains a must keep from my perspective.

Recover well Bailey - the world is still your oyster at only 23yo.

bulldogtragic
13-12-2023, 04:31 PM
Trading up to get Sanders and bringing in Harmes are both looking very astute decisions now.

As big a blow as this is for Bailey and for us, through our off-season list management decisions we have given ourselves additional depth in the midfield to cover such an unfortunate eventuality.

Also, and as brutal as it sounds, it probably doesn't hurt us with regard to retaining Bailey at least until he hits free agency. Other clubs will probably be scared off from offering the huge long-term carrot they otherwise might have done at the end of 2024 (they still might). He remains a must keep from my perspective.

I think he re-signs now.

Dogs 24/7
13-12-2023, 04:31 PM

As big a blow as this is for Bailey and for us, through our off-season in list management decisions we have given ourselves additional depth in the midfield to cover such an unfortunate eventuality.

Also, and as brutal as it sounds, it probably doesn't hurt us with regard to retaining Bailey at least until he hits free agency. He remains a must keep from my perspective.

The wife shed a tear today when the news come through, but you have made some very valid points and we need to reflect on this in a different way. He's young and given the meticulous way he prepares he will come out of this as good as anyone could. This is not a career ending injury and he has a lot of other interests.
I wish him all the best and speedy and safe recovery.

bulldogsthru&thru
13-12-2023, 04:46 PM
Oh FFS!!!

The football Gods only let us have about a month of good news

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
13-12-2023, 04:56 PM
Aaaaaaannd there it is... it felt like there was a smack upside the head coming...things had been going too nicely for a few weeks..

All the best with Baz's operation and recovery. I hope Baz stays, and come on down young Ryley Sanders.

bornadog
13-12-2023, 04:59 PM
On IG

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GBM6rzZa0AAOWDA?format=jpg&name=medium

Happy Days
13-12-2023, 05:03 PM
^First ever Bailey Smith IG post to have him wearing a shirt. Let alone two.

This sucks. Despite what you might read he’s actually good as hell and this is a big blow. Really don’t want to have already seen the last of him for us.

SonofScray
13-12-2023, 06:09 PM
Can see this becoming a “I needed a change of environment after my year of rehab” story on the way out, but hope it doesn’t go that way. Sedat’s comments seem on the money, all things being equal.

Poor fella, it’s a rotten injury to cop in the off season and early in the year.

Axe Man
13-12-2023, 06:28 PM
Can see this becoming a “I needed a change of environment after my year of rehab” story on the way out, but hope it doesn’t go that way. Sedat’s comments seem on the money, all things being equal.

Poor fella, it’s a rotten injury to cop in the off season and early in the year.

Doedee just left after an ACL but that was after the Crows reduced the offer that was already on the table. I would hope that we tell Bailey he is welcome to sign whatever contract we would have been offering regardless of the injury.

Grantysghost
13-12-2023, 07:02 PM
I think he re-signs now.

Not sure it changes anything really except his value.

Clubs will still be in for him. He is out of contract so we are the ones that look like being stung by this.

He requests a trade, we get shit offers.

Never let a player go out of contract it's such basic list management it's laughable.

GVGjr
13-12-2023, 07:04 PM
I think he re-signs now.

It seems like the smart thing would be sign for 2 years which takes him to Free Agency.

Eastdog
13-12-2023, 07:12 PM
Wish Baz well and a speedy recovery. Sucks as I was looking forward to what he could do next season. Hoping it is not the last time we see him play for us as he is a great talent and still very young.

bulldogsthru&thru
13-12-2023, 07:13 PM

Clubs will still be in for him. He is out of contract so we are the ones that look like being stung by this.

Never let a player go out of contract it's such basic list management it's laughable.

Never let STAR players get out of contract. You'd think we'd have learnt that after the Dunkley saga.

azabob
13-12-2023, 07:22 PM

Is Smith out of contract? According to footywire (:D) he is contracted for 2024.

Not sure what you expected Sam Power to do. If Power signed Smith earlier this year on a long term deal for you would have been one of the first to criticise the move.

jeemak
13-12-2023, 07:38 PM
Never let STAR players get out of contract. You'd think we'd have learnt that after the Dunkley saga.

That's how you end up paying overs, which is what we'd have to have done to keep Dunkley.

Paying overs is fine if your mid-tier and bottom-tier recruiting is bang on, or you're a destination club that attracts all ranges of players, but I'm not really sure the former is us and the latter definitely isn't so it's a balancing act on how much you pay across the levels.

Overs for Dunkley makes it harder to retain Smith, English, JUH and Naughton.....it's complicated. I guess the idea is you put something respectable on the table unlike what happened with Callan Ward and hope for the best.

jeemak
13-12-2023, 07:40 PM
This news made me vomit in my mouth. I've been critical of Smith but at the same time one of the believers in his ability to turn it around and get back to being a genuine gun of the competition.

I really don't know how his rehab is going to go, and what his attitude will be once the dust settles. That will be the driver of what happens at the end of 2024, I'm going to keep an open mind and whatever happens happens.

bulldogsthru&thru
13-12-2023, 07:51 PM
That's how you end up paying overs, which is what we'd have to have done to keep Dunkley.

Paying overs is fine if your mid-tier and bottom-tier recruiting is bang on, or you're a destination club that attracts all ranges of players, but I'm not really sure the former is us and the latter definitely isn't so it's a balancing act on how much you pay across the levels.

Overs for Dunkley makes it harder to retain Smith, English, JUH and Naughton.....it's complicated. I guess the idea is you put something respectable on the table unlike what happened with Callan Ward and hope for the best.

We can offer what we think is reasonable and if the player doesn't like it then it's best for the club to explore a trade a year before they're out of contract. The whole player nominating one club absolutely kills any bargaining power a club has.

jeemak
13-12-2023, 08:00 PM
We can offer what we think is reasonable and if the player doesn't like it then it's best for the club to explore a trade a year before they're out of contract. The whole player nominating one club absolutely kills any bargaining power a club has.

That's not unreasonable but I don't think it's the right thing to do with every player. For all intents and purposes Smith seems committed to us. Dunkley on the other hand should have been traded after 2021 as he always looked like going (although doing that would have been super ballsy given we were grand finalists the year prior and apparently in the window).

Sometimes you eat shit sandwiches. But like you I guess I wish you got to choose whether you have pickles on them.

bulldogsthru&thru
13-12-2023, 08:09 PM
That's not unreasonable but I don't think it's the right thing to do with every player. For all intents and purposes Smith seems committed to us. Dunkley on the other hand should have been traded after 2021 as he always looked like going (although doing that would have been super ballsy given we were grand finalists the year prior and apparently in the window).

Sometimes you eat shit sandwiches. But like you I guess I wish you got to choose whether you have pickles on them.

I hate pickles.

bulldogsthru&thru
13-12-2023, 08:12 PM

Yeah the Dunkley situation and being in the window does make it tricky. I suppose the club might see us in the window still. But we got bent over in the eventual dunkley trade. We're gonna struggle if that's repeated with Smith (and potentially JUH and English). Losing multiple star players for unders will cripple us for a while.

Warrnambulldog
13-12-2023, 08:19 PM
Terrible result today, we’re all hurting, but chin up guys, lucky we’ve got the colonel. We’ll see what Bailey wants to do after we win the flag in 24’

Uninformed
13-12-2023, 08:20 PM
Good Insta post by Bailey. 'Aw well..She'll be right"

No point speculating. Just wishing the lad a good recovery.

Grantysghost
13-12-2023, 08:34 PM
Is Smith out of contract? According to footywire (:D) he is contracted for 2024.

Not sure what you expected Sam Power to do. If Power signed Smith earlier this year on a long term deal for you would have been one of the first to criticise the move.

Not sure what you're talking about.

Two separate issues.

I'm saying don't let the contract lapse, as a club you lose strength in negotiation.

jeemak
13-12-2023, 10:14 PM
I hate pickles.

It's doesn't have to be pickles, it's about having a choice for something that offsets the taste of shit.

Twodogs
13-12-2023, 10:24 PM
It's doesn't have to be pickles, it's about having a choice for something that offsets the taste of shit.

So mayonnaise then?

Think I'd prefer plain shit. Or maybe just say that I'm not hungry

Twodogs
13-12-2023, 10:26 PM
Not sure what you're talking about.

Two separate issues.

I'm saying don't let the contract lapse, as a club you lose strength in negotiation.

He's making the point that Bailey is contracted for next year so we haven't let him come out of contract.

bulldogsthru&thru
13-12-2023, 10:26 PM
So mayonnaise then?

I'm trying to work out what the shit is in a shit sandwich with pickles.

bulldogsthru&thru
13-12-2023, 10:28 PM

I love your rationalisation to my childish response.

Twodogs
13-12-2023, 10:28 PM
I'm trying to work out what the shit is in a shit sandwich with pickles.

I like sweet mustard pickles. But not those green mushy pickles.

Twodogs
13-12-2023, 10:36 PM
Ironically I was at the bottle shop at Yarraville Square today and the manager told me that Bazlenka was going to make a personal appearance tomorrow at 4pm to promote Barry. I guess that's been cancelled now.

kruder
13-12-2023, 10:37 PM
Frustrating, was really looking forward to see what level Bailey could reach next year.

Good luck with recovery Baz!

jeemak
13-12-2023, 10:57 PM
So mayonnaise then?

I don't think you guys are getting it. If you're going to be forced to trade a player (eat a shit sandwich) they shouldn't be able to tell you where they want to go in a state that has multiple options (not let you choose a garnish for your shit sandwich).

jeemak
13-12-2023, 10:58 PM
Ironically I was at the bottle shop at Yarraville Square today and the manager told me that Bazlenka was going to make a personal appearance tomorrow at 4pm to promote Barry. I guess that's been cancelled now.

Let's see how dedicated to the brand he is.....

Eastdog
13-12-2023, 11:02 PM

I believe that’s the Liquorland next to the Coles there in Yarraville square. Good little small precinct there.

54Bulldog16
14-12-2023, 12:25 AM
Poor Baz, felt like he was gearing up for a big year.

Go_Dogs
14-12-2023, 07:24 AM
Just terrible news. He was primed for a big year.