PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the Bulldogs: Bailey Smith

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12

my plums
19-04-2024, 12:07 PM
I would love that even if just to stick it up the media.

That's a huge bonus as well!

jeemak
19-04-2024, 12:26 PM
Beveridge did us over with the Stringer trade. He publicly said we do not want him.

Everyone in the industry knew we wanted rid of Stringer before Beveridge opened his gob.

Sedat
19-04-2024, 12:29 PM
Everyone in the industry knew we wanted rid of Stringer before Beveridge opened his gob.
Silver linings - Stringer trade got us Richards (it got us more than that but we flushed the remaining draft collateral down the toilet with Schache). It also helped that Richards was driving a shit-box at the time which made him late for his draft interview with Carlton, so they ended up taking Lochie O'Brien with their pick 10 that year instead.

azabob
19-04-2024, 01:08 PM

Point being is we lost what little leverage we had when Bevo went rogue.

AshMac
19-04-2024, 01:11 PM
I think Baz will re-sign. Don't know anything, but just what I reckon.

100% gone. Have the same info as you but reckon he left mid last year

AshMac
19-04-2024, 01:13 PM
Absolutely. That last minute Chris Grant brain fart hurt. As I’ve said history says on the actual draft picks taken it was:

Schache & Richards - for - Sam Taylor, De Koning (Carl), Balta & delisted WCE player.

Stringer was not too bad all things considered. But Schache was a disaster.

Can you double click into this a little?

Are you saying that if we?d kept the draft picks essendon gave us and not brought in schache we would have been able to (not necessarily would have) drafted Sam Taylor or Noah Balta?

bulldogtragic
19-04-2024, 01:18 PM
Can you double click into this a little?

Are you saying that if we?d kept the draft picks essendon gave us and not brought in schache we would have been able to (not necessarily would have) drafted Sam Taylor or Noah Balta?

If we didn’t do Schache & Carlton (Richards). If we kept the picks and selected the same players other clubs did. We would’ve drafted Taylor, Balta & De Koning plus a WCE guy who got delisted last year.

So taking out Schache & WCE Guy.

The players playing regular footy now:

Us: Richards
Others: Taylor, De Koning, Balta (Stringer)

Schache alone was Balta with 25 and Wooler with 40.

Happy Days
19-04-2024, 01:19 PM
Point being is we lost what little leverage we had when Bevo went rogue.

I think we assumed we would be able to rely on all that equity we won in the Crameri trade.

AshMac
19-04-2024, 07:24 PM
If we didn’t do Schache & Carlton (Richards). If we kept the picks and selected the same players other clubs did. We would’ve drafted Taylor, Balta & De Koning plus a WCE guy who got delisted last year.

So taking out Schache & WCE Guy.

The players playing regular footy now:

Us: Richards
Others: Taylor, De Koning, Balta (Stringer)

Schache alone was Balta with 25 and Wooler with 40.

Dear god. I love Richards but that is brutal.

Who knows what players we?d have taken yada yada but still?

jeemak
19-04-2024, 07:31 PM
But Schache did kick three in the wet.

Grantysghost
19-04-2024, 07:45 PM
But Schache did kick three in the wet.
3?

How dare you.

jeemak
19-04-2024, 07:45 PM
3?

How dare you.

Sorry, four!!!

bornadog
19-04-2024, 07:54 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-r-hatKkrU&ab_channel=Michael

Grantysghost
19-04-2024, 07:57 PM
Sorry, four!!!
https://media.giphy.com/media/v1.Y2lkPTc5MGI3NjExenZwcHAzeGNkbTRsbHVmbHc3cHhrNWlzdjdhZGtwZ mRwajljaHVmZCZlcD12MV9pbnRlcm5hbF9naWZfYnlfaWQmY3Q9Zw/Hkoamb0iCaQbZmM9ok/giphy.gif

MrMahatma
19-04-2024, 08:29 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-r-hatKkrU&ab_channel=Michael

Seems good progress already?

my plums
19-04-2024, 11:31 PM
Seems good progress already?

Did we even put him on the LTI list yet? Interesting if not…..

bulldogtragic
20-04-2024, 08:49 AM
Did we even put him on the LTI list yet? Interesting if not…..

I read only a few clubs have MSD picks and we were not listed. But there’s a couple of weeks until the deadline from memory to do that.

hujsh
20-04-2024, 09:42 AM
That footage must be very exciting for all the fans of the club he'll actually play for.

Does a bit less for me.

Grantysghost
20-04-2024, 10:00 AM
That footage must be very exciting for all the fans of the club he'll actually play for.

Does a bit less for me.

Good plug for his hair dresser too.

bulldogsthru&thru
20-04-2024, 10:41 AM

Does a bit less for me.

Do you think he will be greatful to the club doing his rehab?

bulldogtragic
20-04-2024, 11:09 AM

No..

EasternWest
20-04-2024, 11:19 AM

Nah just motovated

hujsh
20-04-2024, 03:21 PM

Nah, kind of part of the package. Unless we've done something above and beyond I wouldn't expect it either.

jeemak
20-04-2024, 03:23 PM
He'll reward our thorough approach to his rehab by nominating a club that doesn't have a decent pick to exchange for him.

Can't ask for much more than that.

Topdog
20-04-2024, 11:24 PM
My q to that Yhf is : if we had done that to Dunkley, would that have changed Smith's situation?

I don't think so. It sounds nice, but we have to take what we can.

Why do they want to go is the issue.

If a player manager knows you are willing to go through PSD then they'll work harder to get us a more reasonable return. Sometimes you have to take a hit to move forward

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
21-04-2024, 12:25 PM
My q to that Yhf is : if we had done that to Dunkley, would that have changed Smith's situation?

I don't think so. It sounds nice, but we have to take what we can.

Why do they want to go is the issue.

I obviously can't say for certain GG, but I do think there'd at least be a bit more hesitation amongst Daicos and Smith's getting all 'No, you're schmoopy' with each other; it almost is just tantamount to players flaunting the fact they have mobility leverage in these negotiations right now. Or they do until someone, like Port did to Stevens all those years ago holds them accountable. Port let him go to the draft, and therefore to woeful Carlton, rather than accede to his trade request to Collingwood I believe.

Maybe its time to cop one on the chin to force clubs to deal at least with a pretense of good faith!

I do agree with your broader point GG, why are these required players wanting out?
To lose Dunkley and potentially Smith, both A graders is not good enough.

bulldogsthru&thru
21-04-2024, 12:32 PM
Nah, kind of part of the package. Unless we've done something above and beyond I wouldn't expect it either.

I'd at least want a solid indication if he's staying or not.

hujsh
21-04-2024, 01:10 PM
I'd at least want a solid indication if he's staying or not.

Well we are fans, and more emotional about this stuff. I think any club, being a professional organisation, would take a different, longer term view

bulldogsthru&thru
21-04-2024, 01:57 PM
Well we are fans, and more emotional about this stuff. I think any club, being a professional organisation, would take a different, longer term view

I don't mean to say we don't do his rehab if he doesn't tell us. I'd just like to believe he's at least told our club he's leaving if that's what intends to do.

bulldogtragic
21-04-2024, 02:28 PM
I don't mean to say we don't do his rehab if he doesn't tell us. I'd just like to believe he's at least told our club he's leaving if that's what intends to do.

Ameet Bains was asked this. His response was “no”, Bailey has given us nothing to indicate his intentions.

D Mitchell
21-04-2024, 04:14 PM

His manager would ....(pick your verb)... him if he did that, it would kill any future negotiation.

azabob
21-04-2024, 04:17 PM
I still hope Bailey Smith stays.

hujsh
21-04-2024, 04:36 PM
I still hope Bailey Smith stays.

I'd be wrapped if he does. Him, Sanders and someone else (Bont/Richards) would be a good mid combo

Grantysghost
21-04-2024, 05:42 PM
Ameet Bains was asked this. His response was “no”, Bailey has given us nothing to indicate his intentions.
That as close as you'll get to him saying he's goneski

bulldogtragic
21-04-2024, 05:45 PM
That as close as you'll get to him saying he's goneski

Yep. The best outcome from here is a big fight between clubs to get his contract and perhaps a club more able to offer a better price comes into frame (ie Hawks with a top 5 pick or Geelong with Holmes if that rumour was true). I just get no good impression he’s here next year. At all.

jeemak
21-04-2024, 05:48 PM
Apparently he and Bevo spent a lot of time chatting at the VFL game yesterday, seeming relatively chummy.

josie
21-04-2024, 08:07 PM
Thx Jee. At least Smith is showing support for our VFL team. Hoping that?s an indication he hasn?t 100% made up his mind yet.

If it?s Pies he wants to go to would we accept a future 1st & a second this year (or future 2nd), or a future 1st & player such as Noble?

angelopetraglia
21-04-2024, 08:14 PM
Apparently he and Bevo spent a lot of time chatting at the VFL game yesterday, seeming relatively chummy.

That is a decent sign that he rocked up to watch the VFL.

ledge
21-04-2024, 08:16 PM
Thx Jee. At least Smith is showing support for our VFL team. Hoping that?s an indication he hasn?t 100% made up his mind yet.

If it?s Pies he wants to go to would we accept a future 1st & a second this year (or future 2nd), or a future 1st & player such as Noble?

I would be surprised if most of our AFL team wasn’t at Willy, they usually are . Part of being a Fulltime footballer.
I think it’s the chat would be interesting to hear but Bailey has given no idea of his intention, hopefully Bevo is developing a mates stay together, your better off stayng rhetoric.

GVGjr
21-04-2024, 08:56 PM

There were a few Bulldog boys watching Footscray yesterday.

bornadog
21-04-2024, 08:56 PM

Proves he is staying

chef
21-04-2024, 09:01 PM
Proves he is staying

Only signing that contract proves he is staying.

bornadog
21-04-2024, 09:06 PM
Only signing that contract proves he is staying.

a small joke :D

Grantysghost
21-04-2024, 09:42 PM
There were a few Bulldog boys watching Footscray yesterday.

Rhylee West has a ripper dog. Very popular. Aussie shepard.

EasternWest
21-04-2024, 10:21 PM

https://i.postimg.cc/BvQrFzJZ/images-21.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Am I joke to you?

jeemak
21-04-2024, 11:09 PM

If I ended up going I'd have taken my boy Derek with me. He's had a run in or two with Aussie Shepherds.........

angelopetraglia
01-05-2024, 07:37 PM
Western Bulldogs star Bailey Smith permitted to train away from club after devastating knee injury Jay Clark May 1 6:26pm

With Bailey Smith?s future at the Bulldogs in doubt, the superstar?s frustrations with his ACL tear pushed him away from the club to complete his rehab.

Western Bulldogs permitted star midfielder Bailey Smith to train away from the club earlier in his recovery from an ACL injury to help ease the gun ballwinners? frustrations with the injury.

The Dogs allowed Smith to train at a gym facility closer to his home in the eastern suburbs earlier in the year rather than have to make his way to the kennel for the daily grind of knee rehab.

The injury was a major disappointment for the linebreaker who was set for a massive year after winning the club?s time trial in the pre-season before the season-ending injury in December.

A strong season could have helped Smith deliver a contract worth up to $1 million a season but the knee injury will have reduced his value on his next deal.

Smith looks certain to request a trade at season?s end with strong interest from Collingwood, Hawthorn and Geelong likely to net the Dogs a first-round draft pick for him.

The Magpies and Cats have long been linked to the playmaker but the Hawks are certain to have an earlier first-round pick to help satisfy the Dogs in a trade.

Smith, 23, has resumed running in his recovery from the season-ending ACL injury and will consider heading overseas for a couple of weeks as part of a mid-year break.

Smith is unlikely to play this season with the club unlikely to risk one of their prime midfielders ahead of a potential trade to a Victorian rival.

The three clubs keen on Smith will undergo full assessments on his knee before they make a call on a trade for him.

Hawthorn is currently in second-last spot on the ladder and could either keep their first pick or potentially split it for two first-round choices to land a gun youngster and Smith.

Recruiters have said the top end of this year?s draft is seen as a very even crop with not much splitting the top-12 players.

Collingwood does not have a first-round pick in this year?s draft after trading it for ex-Docker Lachie Schultz last year, while the Cats are currently in first place and would have pick No. 18 on current ladder positions.

Smith is intent on making a full recovery and believes his best football is still ahead of him after a blistering finals series in 2021 fanned hype that he was one of the most damaging playmakers in the league.

He kicked eight goals in three finals as the Dogs went down to Melbourne in the 2021 Grand Final.

angelopetraglia
01-05-2024, 07:39 PM
Seriously Jay. I thought you were half decent. What is this article? Just throwing a lot mud and hoping something sticks. Ridiculous.

angelopetraglia
01-05-2024, 07:41 PM
The twitter headline "With Bailey Smith’s future at the Bulldogs in doubt, the superstar’s frustrations with his ACL tear pushed him away from the club to complete his rehab."

Hysteria inciting nonsense.

bulldogtragic
01-05-2024, 07:42 PM
Seriously Jay. I thought you were half decent. What is this article? Just throwing a lot mud and hoping something sticks. Ridiculous.

He’s saying what 90% of people are thinking. He’s gonski.

azabob
01-05-2024, 07:43 PM
The twitter headline "With Bailey Smith’s future at the Bulldogs in doubt, the superstar’s frustrations with his ACL tear pushed him away from the club to complete his rehab."

Hysteria inciting nonsense.

Hysterical, but, unfortunately correct.

bulldogtragic
01-05-2024, 07:45 PM
Would be ironic if Hawks split Pick 2 to GCS. Then traded our first rounder back to us for Smith…

ledge
01-05-2024, 07:55 PM
Headline “ pushed him away”
Story .. club and him agreed that he trains closer to home as it’s easier than trying to get to whitten oval from other side of city.
Spin doctoring is in full swing.

Grantysghost
01-05-2024, 08:21 PM
Would be ironic if Hawks split Pick 2 to GCS. Then traded our first rounder back to us for Smith…
Sam's plan all along.

angelopetraglia
01-05-2024, 08:35 PM
Headline “ pushed him away”
Story .. club and him agreed that he trains closer to home as it’s easier than trying to get to whitten oval from other side of city.
Spin doctoring is in full swing.

100%. Hysterical headline. Truth in the copy. The club trying to help him out. It is a good news story, they frame it as he has an issue with the clubs so is staying away.

Today Baz is doing promos with the little kids and as per Gary's training updates he has been at the club every training session.

So yes, he maybe already out the door, but the angle of the article is built on lies.

bulldogtragic
01-05-2024, 08:38 PM
Sam's plan all along.

Trade effectively Sanders for Smith?

(Pick 13 for Croft & Pick 23 for Freijah + 50 this year + hopefully F2 with Smith)

Grantysghost
01-05-2024, 08:54 PM
Trade effectively Sanders for Smith?

(Pick 13 for Croft & Pick 23 for Freijah + 50 this year + hopefully F2 with Smith)
I could stomach that.

bornadog
01-05-2024, 08:54 PM
I could stomach that.

Bailey is a must keep

ledge
01-05-2024, 09:01 PM
100%. Hysterical headline. Truth in the copy. The club trying to help him out. It is a good news story, they frame it as he has an issue with the clubs so is staying away.

Today Baz is doing promos with the little kids and as per Gary's training updates he has been at the club every training session.

So yes, he maybe already out the door, but the angle of the article is built on lies.

Yeah I saw that. I am not convinced he is gone. I hope he stays just to show everyone how much bullshit the media talk.

azabob
01-05-2024, 09:09 PM
Bailey is a must keep

Yes he is.

Grantysghost
01-05-2024, 09:17 PM
Bailey is a must keep

Shame he's a must get for the clubs he wants to be at.
Stomach as in it's equitable. I want Bailey to stay, but the tea leaves aren't reading well.

bornadog
01-05-2024, 10:11 PM
Shame he's a must get for the clubs he wants to be at.
Stomach as in it's equitable. I want Bailey to stay, but the tea leaves aren't reading well.

The media tea leaves :confused:

jazzadogs
01-05-2024, 10:57 PM
How many of our players still live in the eastern suburbs after 4 or 5 years on the list?

angelopetraglia
01-05-2024, 11:07 PM
How many of our players still live in the eastern suburbs after 4 or 5 years on the list?

Treloar?

Bailey grew up in the Eastern Suburbs. That would be factor.

ledge
02-05-2024, 02:25 AM
Treloar?

Bailey grew up in the Eastern Suburbs. That would be factor.

Does Bont still live out in Eltham ? To be honest I think there is more live outside of the west than in it.
I know Wood lived near IKEA .

The Doctor
02-05-2024, 07:47 AM
Does Bont still live out in Eltham ?

Albert Park

Hot_Doggies
02-05-2024, 08:07 AM
Is he really though?

Even at 700-900k a year? Coming off pretty average form, issues off the field and now a knee reco.

AshMac
02-05-2024, 09:28 AM
Bailey is a must keep

Based on potential right? Surely not actual output over the entire duration

bornadog
02-05-2024, 09:59 AM
Based on potential right? Surely not actual output over the entire duration

Based on being a talented 23 year old mid

angelopetraglia
02-05-2024, 10:54 AM
Jay Clark

Club considering overseas break for Bailey Smith

Grantysghost
02-05-2024, 10:59 AM
Jay Clark

Club considering overseas break-up for Bailey Smith

Fixed.

Cmon guys just take him to Poons on a Friday night like the rest of us.

It isn't us, it's you.

EasternWest
02-05-2024, 11:20 AM
Jay Clark

Club considering overseas break for Bailey Smith

Translation: lolz going to Ibiza try to stop me

bulldogtragic
02-05-2024, 11:31 AM
Trade him. I’m so over this. How many players over the years have done ACL’s where they’re not going to games to hang out with Margot Robbie’s brother, not coming into the club for rehab and now going overseas during the year? All this leeway from the club (even if it couldn’t refuse it) and he’s given the club no indication he’s staying according to our CEO.

Honestly, I change my mind. I’d love a mid season trade period and to have it right now and he can go asap.

angelopetraglia
02-05-2024, 11:35 AM
Bevo

There is only natural that there is speculation. Bailey is back running on the grass. He is feeling good about himself. Helps his mindset. The thing with Baz is that clubs come hard, we experienced it with Naughts, but we don't know how hard clubs have come. Time in the game is short, we understand how they listen to the overtues.

angelopetraglia
02-05-2024, 11:38 AM
Bevo

His contact hours are right up now. We took a different view, it is something we will continue to do, it is a private institute of sport model, you can use different practioners, in the early part when it is a real grind, they can get a real focussed approach to their rehab. It also frees up your own practioners who can fully focus on the active squad. It has been a worthwhile excercise, Bailey and us have benefited from it. We can now be more engaged that he is in a stable rehab mode where he can work with others.

Mantis
02-05-2024, 11:52 AM
Translation: lolz going to Ibiza try to stop me

I think reported he posted recently on his insta that he was heading to Vegas for Conor McGregor's UFC fight which is at the end of June with one of his sponsors... probs onto Ibiza post this.

jeemak
02-05-2024, 12:21 PM
Wasn't part of yesterday's reporting that during the mid-season break Smith was going to go overseas?

Grantysghost
02-05-2024, 12:28 PM
I think reported he posted recently on his insta that he was heading to Vegas for Conor McGregor's UFC fight which is at the end of June with one of his sponsors... probs onto Ibiza post this.
Feels wrong. Not a bad life getting paid to do that.

SquirrelGrip
02-05-2024, 12:40 PM
I'd have thought the Burning Man festival would be up his alley too.

ledge
02-05-2024, 01:02 PM
Well one thing, we are certainly doing everything we can to help him and the question is will it keep him or if he is leaving is it going to help us get maximum return ?
I believe the club is acting as if he is staying.

ReLoad
02-05-2024, 01:33 PM
Well one thing, we are certainly doing everything we can to help him and the question is will it keep him or if he is leaving is it going to help us get maximum return ?
I believe the club is acting as if he is staying.

they have to don't they? even the slightest mishint of truth will cause the media to go full tilt the club want him out.

personally what i want to know is what is holding him back from re-signing?

Mitcha
02-05-2024, 01:53 PM
The only thing holding him back from signing is the fact that he is going

ledge
02-05-2024, 02:08 PM
they have to don't they? even the slightest mishint of truth will cause the media to go full tilt the club want him out.

personally what i want to know is what is holding him back from re-signing?

Didn’t the club say no rush as he is out for the year . Maybe we are signing everyone else first to see what we have left to offer him ?
Rumour was we did put a contract to him and he turned it down.
Manager hasn’t said anything pointing in any direction so that’s probably a plus , they usually let some hint out.
At the moment it’s just journos making up stuff, they have not referenced any one in the know .
I mean seriously they just go ask clubs would you target Smith, clubs say of course then bang journos report other club is after him.
Due diligence says your not doing your job if your not asking.
It seems a bit Dunkley at the moment too though , the minute the season ends he announces he is out.
Definitely gone if he hasn’t signed by August.
And on that front we will be on good footing as clubs will be offering a lot, draft picks , trades etc . Power is a good operator we won’t be tricked.
Question is do we target a mid or a back ?

ReLoad
02-05-2024, 03:35 PM
Question is do we target a mid or a back ?

I cant believe its not butter?

Jeanette54
02-05-2024, 04:15 PM
One thing in our favour if we want Bailey to stay, is his ACL injury. If he wants maximum dollars long-term, it makes sense to stay and prove he has fully recovered. A successful twelve-month contract with us, and the sky will be the limit when it comes to eventually signing a long-term contract with any future suitors.

ledge
02-05-2024, 04:37 PM
One thing in our favour if we want Bailey to stay, is his ACL injury. If he wants maximum dollars long-term, it makes sense to stay and prove he has fully recovered. A successful twelve-month contract with us, and the sky will be the limit when it comes to eventually signing a long-term contract with any future suitors.

Or he signs and has a shit year or gets another knee injury and his price drops dramatically.
Or he takes what’s on offer now from other clubs and he sets himself up no matter what happens next year.

azabob
02-05-2024, 07:43 PM
I cant believe its not butter?

I like what you did there? very very subtle indeed

Bullies
02-05-2024, 09:26 PM
One thing in our favour if we want Bailey to stay, is his ACL injury. If he wants maximum dollars long-term, it makes sense to stay and prove he has fully recovered. A successful twelve-month contract with us, and the sky will be the limit when it comes to eventually signing a long-term contract with any future suitors. I think you may find Collingwood have offered the majority of their marketing cap which is outside of the salary cap and some personal promotional deals with sponsors. The playing contract therefore may not be as high as people think. Pies believe they will get it back with his marketing.

Stevo
03-05-2024, 09:01 AM
Who knows if some in the media are just speculating if Smith is going but when Ameet basically couldn't confirm even a gut feel that Smith wants to stay it put the for sale sign up.
It's not like Smith doesn't like being at the club and any departure appears to be very much be for more external business opportunities.

The footy world is getting more complicated.

AshMac
03-05-2024, 11:47 AM
Who knows if some in the media are just speculating if Smith is going but when Ameet basically couldn't confirm even a gut feel that Smith wants to stay it put the for sale sign up.
It's not like Smith doesn't like being at the club and any departure appears to be very much be for more external business opportunities.

The footy world is getting more complicated.

He?s gone. Even if the negotiations were halved they?d be sharing info to the market.

The complete lack of content around his rehab (for the most marketable guy in the league), his silence and the clubs deadpan answers tell us everything we need to know.

I hope it?s hawthorn and it?s 2 first round picks?.or their first and second

Axe Man
03-05-2024, 12:19 PM
He?s gone. Even if the negotiations were halved they?d be sharing info to the market.

The complete lack of content around his rehab (for the most marketable guy in the league), his silence and the clubs deadpan answers tell us everything we need to know.

I hope it?s hawthorn and it?s 2 first round picks?.or their first and second

I would almost guarantee it will be Collingwood or Geelong as they have the least draft capital and big name players who aren't ancient don't go to clubs years away from success.

Pedro Sanchez
03-05-2024, 02:05 PM
Get him to the Hawks. End of.

Axe Man
03-05-2024, 02:10 PM
Get him to the Hawks. End of.

We will have zero say where he goes and he won't give a stuff how we are compensated. The players hold all the power.

mighty_west
03-05-2024, 02:14 PM
We will have zero say where he goes and he won't give a stuff how we are compensated. The players hold all the power.

Yep, if i'm Bailey Smith i'm absolutely going (if i'm going) to the Pies or Geelong over the Hawks any day of the week, Pies play at the G in front of massive crowds in the big games even when they dip in form and Geelong, well they've just been a powerhouse club for 20 years or so.

lemmon
03-05-2024, 05:41 PM
I would almost guarantee it will be Collingwood or Geelong as they have the least draft capital and big name players who aren't ancient don't go to clubs years away from success.

I agree and think he goes to the Pies, but the Hawks could offer him 30% more cash than the Pies and Geelong. That's probably the only card they hold.

Grantysghost
03-05-2024, 05:52 PM
Pies 75 percent, Cats 25 percent are the options for the long haired one.

bornadog
03-05-2024, 06:03 PM
Pies 75 percent, Cats 25 percent are the options for the long haired one.

What odds he stays

EasternWest
03-05-2024, 06:15 PM
What odds he stays

Zero. Quote me.

Grantysghost
03-05-2024, 06:30 PM
What odds he stays
Zero

azabob
03-05-2024, 06:36 PM
Zero. Quote me.

I’m not going to quote you. Your not the boss.

EasternWest
03-05-2024, 07:12 PM
I’m not going to quote you. Your not the boss.

Narc on me daddy.

Happy Days
03-05-2024, 07:13 PM
I?m not going to quote you. Your not the boss.

It?s you?re btw :-)

Happy Days
03-05-2024, 07:14 PM
He’s so gone it sucks. On the plus side he is going to be my most hated player ever by so far so that will be kinda fun.

1eyedog
03-05-2024, 07:24 PM
I agree and think he goes to the Pies, but the Hawks could offer him 30% more cash than the Pies and Geelong. That's probably the only card they hold.

If we nominate a non-preferred club with excellent capital and he refuses does he play football next year? Honest question I don't know. Assume he doesn't?

Employees leaving and getting to nominate preferred clubs with shite capital is a terrible business arrangment for multi-million dollar organisations. When is a club going to force a decision that's in the best interest of the club and not the player?

Given what's at stake I'm astounded this doesn't happen like, everytime.

bulldogtragic
03-05-2024, 07:34 PM
If we nominate a non-preferred club with excellent capital and he refuses does he play football next year? Honest question I don't know. Assume he doesn't?

Employees leaving and getting to nominate preferred clubs with shite capital is a terrible business arrangment for multi-million dollar organisations. When is a club going to force a decision that's in the best interest of the club and not the player?

Given what's at stake I'm astounded this doesn't happen like, everytime.

He goes to North via the PSD if no trade happened. Incentive to work harder on the trade. Id happily force that on him if the trade offer was shit.

Grantysghost
03-05-2024, 07:43 PM
He goes to North via the PSD if no trade happened. Incentive to work harder on the trade. Id happily force that on him if the trade offer was shit.
Nose to spite face stuff.

Let's get a deal and move on.

hujsh
03-05-2024, 08:02 PM

I don't know it happens now. Player can nominate for one of the drafts at 2 mil a year and just immediately sign a new contract once they get where they want to go can't they? Isn't that basically how Martin got to Carlton just with a lower number?

bulldogtragic
03-05-2024, 08:31 PM
I don't know it happens now. Player can nominate for one of the drafts at 2 mil a year and just immediately sign a new contract once they get where they want to go can't they? Isn't that basically how Martin got to Carlton just with a lower number?

Yes. Martin put a higher price on his head. Thing is I think, North would pay whatever to get him and his marketing ability.

bulldogtragic
03-05-2024, 08:33 PM
Nose to spite face stuff.

Let's get a deal and move on.

At some point we as a club have to make it clear to players you can’t do this to us and we meekly making it happen for a substandard trade. If he thinks he might be at North his manager might be a bit more forceful with the proposed new club.

kickit2Koly
03-05-2024, 08:57 PM
Yes. Martin put a higher price on his head. Thing is I think, North would pay whatever to get him and his marketing ability.

Even if north don’t he’s not getting past the hawks no matter what price he put on himself.

Grantysghost
03-05-2024, 09:04 PM
At some point we as a club have to make it clear to players you can’t do this to us and we meekly making it happen for a substandard trade. If he thinks he might be at North his manager might be a bit more forceful with the proposed new club.
You do that by making them want to stay. Hard line will backfire i think.

bornadog
03-05-2024, 09:06 PM
Zero. Quote me.

Zero
book marked :D

azabob
03-05-2024, 09:16 PM
It?s you?re btw :-)

How can you tell what’s what with the question marks bee boppin and scatting all over the place.

The Bulldogs Bite
03-05-2024, 09:24 PM
Makes you wonder what we could have got if we traded him last year.

I'm ****ing sick of losing good players. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Grantysghost
03-05-2024, 09:31 PM

I'm ****ing sick of losing good players. The more things change, the more they stay the same.
Yep, commit or youre traded with a year left.

World game 101.

bornadog
03-05-2024, 09:31 PM

Which GOOD players have we lost under Bevo reign? Dunks and ????

Grantysghost
03-05-2024, 09:34 PM
Baz ;)

bornadog
03-05-2024, 09:36 PM
Baz ;)

wasn't that the wrong answer some pages back? Last time I checked he was in OUR rehab group:eek:

Hotdog60
03-05-2024, 10:03 PM

Cordy :)

AshMac
03-05-2024, 10:17 PM

Ditto. In essence we practically got 2 second round picks for Dunkley.

We paid 2 second round picks for Lobb.

bornadog
03-05-2024, 10:31 PM

You do have a sense of humour :D

PS: dropped this week, reason managed :D

Mofra
04-05-2024, 12:19 AM
118 games from a 4th round draft pick?

Sign me up every. single. time.

jeemak
04-05-2024, 03:50 AM
118 games from a 4th round draft pick?

Sign me up every. single. time.

Who also took his moments in two of the clubs biggest games in its history.

mjp
04-05-2024, 09:16 AM
Who also took his moments in two of the clubs biggest games in its history.

I'm all about the Zaine appreciation as well - he's had a great career - but are we seriously saying he is a player who we were desperate to retain who left?

Every selection thread in his last season was all "drop Zaine" + "Zaine is hopeless" type stuff...

The answer to the 'OTHER' (than Dunks) good players we've lost under Bevo is:

- Stringer.
- Hunter
- Lipinski (debatable)
- Adams (got injured so everyone forgets)
- Hamling (was covered up in family stuff so all forgiven)

G-Mo77
04-05-2024, 09:27 AM

Absolutely awful deal. We continue to give these players away for virtually nothing which in turn hurts our depth, which was once a strength of ours. Macrae and Daniel are apparently no longer needed and will give them away for a bag of chips and pay their salaries. At what point do our list managers come under fire? It's disgraceful.

Grantysghost
04-05-2024, 09:28 AM
I'm all about the Zaine appreciation as well - he's had a great career - but are we seriously saying he is a player who we were desperate to retain who left?

Every selection thread in his last season was all "drop Zaine" + "Zaine is hopeless" type stuff...

- Stringer.
- Hunter
- Lipinski (debatable)
Hunter is the one many forget. We have battled to replace him.

G-Mo77
04-05-2024, 09:38 AM
Hunter is the one many forget. We have battled to replace him.

Have we finished paying for him yet?

Grantysghost
04-05-2024, 10:12 AM

For Dunks we got :

Pick 21 - 2022 (Charlie Clarke pushed to pick 24)

Future first (2023) - They were runner up so pick 17 which we used to get pick 5 in pick swap with Gold Coast, who on traded it in a pick swap to North who eventually used it at pick 23 (Ryley Hardemann).

Future second (2023) - Pick 40 which ended up at the Saints as part of the Coffield trade. Can't work out where it was used.

Future fourth (2023) - Pick 67 not used.

We gave :

Dunks
Future third (2023) - Used in Gunston trade in pick swaps so landed at Hawks
Future third (2023) - This is Hunter as we got it from Dees for him.
Also used in Gunston deal.

Basically

Out: Dunkley, Hunter, future third

In: Clarke, part of Sanders, Coffield

The bulldog tragician
04-05-2024, 10:39 AM

- Stringer.
- Hunter
- Lipinski (debatable)
Jordan Roughead.

bornadog
04-05-2024, 10:47 AM

- Stringer.
- Hunter
- Lipinski (debatable)

Stringer debatable - great talent poor output
Hunter - agree
Lippa debatable
Adams - nothing Special
Hamling - Couldn’t be helped
Roughead- I didn’t like losing him.

We are no different than every other club

Sedat
04-05-2024, 11:30 AM
Stringer is an amazing footballer in leap years (when he is out of contract). Then the fat and lazy kicks in.

Still a Bullgod, and he's welcome at all the future premiership reunions.

1eyedog
04-05-2024, 12:13 PM
Biggest loss was Monty.

Rocket Science
04-05-2024, 12:25 PM
Stringer debatable - great talent poor output
Hunter - agree
Lippa debatable
Adams - nothing Special
Hamling - Couldn?t be helped
Roughead- I didn?t like losing him.

We are no different than every other club

Well assuming Smith's about to jilt us, how many clubs have watched two quality young mids on the cusp of their career primes bolt for the exit in fairly short succession?

And while we're debating whether Lipinski's any good he's happily dangling his premiership medallion.

Rocket Science
04-05-2024, 12:27 PM
Biggest loss was Monty.

I'm still steamed about Harbrow.

Grantysghost
04-05-2024, 12:27 PM
Biggest loss was Monty.
Ward

Grantysghost
04-05-2024, 12:29 PM
Well assuming Smith's about to jilt us, how many clubs have watched two quality young mids on the cusp of their career primes bolt for the exit in fairly short succession?

And while we're debating whether Lipinski's any good he's happily dangling his premiership medallion.

Urgh it is going to bite. Woofers tend to focus on what Lipinski can't do, i like what he can. We should have kept him.

bornadog
04-05-2024, 12:43 PM

If Smith leaves.

hujsh
04-05-2024, 12:43 PM

Definitely the expansion clubs. North I guess? Adelaide but with defenders?

Grantysghost
04-05-2024, 12:54 PM
If Smith leaves.
Can you think of a good reason he hasn't signed yet? Even the CEO has less faith than you BAD! ;)

Never has a player been more gone.

bornadog
04-05-2024, 12:54 PM
Can you think of a goid reason he hasn't signed yet? Even the CEO has less faith than you BAD! ;)

I don't concede anything till he makes a decision

Grantysghost
04-05-2024, 12:55 PM
I don't concede anything till he makes a decision
Fair enough.

mjp
04-05-2024, 01:44 PM
Jordan Roughead.

Thanks. Poor by me.

Rocket Science
04-05-2024, 02:48 PM
Definitely the expansion clubs. North I guess? Adelaide but with defenders?

Lovely. North and the sorry-arse transplants whose sole purpose is to incubate talent til it discovers it's 'homesick'.

We're in magnificent company, and an increasingly apt landing spot for the Brambles, Bakers and Harmeses of the world.

Indeed, give us your tired, your poor, your huddled list-cloggers yearning to hear their names on selection night, the wretched refuse of your extended bench. Send these, the one-paced ball-butchers to our list boss, for he lifts his lamp and a book full of Highpoint shopping vouchers beside the Barkly Street gate ...

azabob
04-05-2024, 03:09 PM
Biggest loss was Monty.

Ward

Montgomery as a coach, along with Russell.

Ward and Harbrow were not under Bevo watch.

Mofra
04-05-2024, 03:49 PM

"Only two?"
- GWS

Collingwood effectively lost 5x first round picks in a single trade period 2 years before they won a flag.

Let's not forget Brisbane's 2 years of madness where they lost 5x players who were all 1st and 2nd round picks.

We're likely losing 2 first rounder this year (Smith & Buss)... but we did pick up 2 first rounder last year. Swings and roundabouts.

Mofra
04-05-2024, 03:50 PM
Those 12 seconds of Justin Sherman in between shit tattoos and racial abuse were totally worth it
/sarcasm

Rocket Science
04-05-2024, 04:15 PM
"Only two?"
- GWS

Collingwood effectively lost 5x first round picks in a single trade period 2 years before they won a flag.

Let's not forget Brisbane's 2 years of madness where they lost 5x players who were all 1st and 2nd round picks.

We're likely losing 2 first rounder this year (Smith & Buss)... but we did pick up 2 first rounder last year. Swings and roundabouts.

Less than convinced we're truly comparing apples with apples here but look fair enough, having core, 25-and-under types we've drafted and developed wanting to play their best football somewhere else is probably fine and might actually guarantee us a flag in 2 years.

Can't wait to meet the new regime that makes it happen.

bulldogsthru&thru
04-05-2024, 04:28 PM
We're losing Buss now too are we?

EasternWest
04-05-2024, 05:02 PM
Those 12 seconds of Justin Sherman in between shit tattoos and racial abuse were totally worth it
/sarcasm

Far out I'd almost forgotten that bellend darkened our doors. What a tool.

Mofra
04-05-2024, 06:01 PM
Less than convinced we're truly comparing apples with apples here but look fair enough, having core, 25-and-under types we've drafted and developed wanting to play their best football somewhere else is probably fine and might actually guarantee us a flag in 2 years.

Can't wait to meet the new regime that makes it happen.
Ignoring the sarcasm, how many supporters did Bailey Smith have when he was actually playing, especially his kicking?
I'd love to keep him but is he a "must" as a mid, considering in the past few years he's played 2 good games as a mid and a heap of good football as a high-half forward where he no longer wants to play?

Since 2021 he's been roasted constantly here.

If I recall correctly we lost a coach, captain and CEO in a single month in 2014. 2 years is a long time in football.

Mofra
04-05-2024, 06:02 PM
We're losing Buss now too are we?
WCE $500k x 4 deal on the table.
He remains one of only 2 first rounders from his draft unsigned.

I'd prefer to keep, but it doesn't look good.

bornadog
04-05-2024, 06:07 PM
Ignoring the sarcasm, how many supporters did Bailey Smith have when he was actually playing, especially his kicking?
I'd love to keep him but is he a "must" as a mid, considering in the past few years he's played 2 good games as a mid and a heap of good football as a high-half forward where he no longer wants to play?

If I recall correctly we lost a coach, captain and CEO in a single month in 2014. 2 years is a long time in football.
Still only 23 and can play

G-Mo77
04-05-2024, 06:08 PM
/sarcasm

I don't think there is a Bulldogs player I couldn't stand more than that guy.

Bulldog Joe
04-05-2024, 06:13 PM
Urgh it is going to bite. Woofers tend to focus on what Lipinski can't do, i like what he can. We should have kept him.

If only someone could work on a gameplan that maximised the player strengths.

westbulldog
04-05-2024, 06:14 PM
"Only two?"
- GWS

Since when are we losing Busslinger, where is your information on that ?

Grantysghost
04-05-2024, 07:56 PM
WCE $500k x 4 deal on the table.
He remains one of only 2 first rounders from his draft unsigned.

I'd prefer to keep, but it doesn't look good.

His performances so far i'd be signing as fast as possible if i were him.
Guaranteed 2 mill in your home state.

Grantysghost
04-05-2024, 08:07 PM
"Only two?"
- GWS

Difference is they attract replacements. Neale isn"t coming to Dogs in his prime, Dunkley.

Pies can get Hill, Mcstay, Schultz in their prime.

Rocket Science
04-05-2024, 08:21 PM

Sure, all salient points and I've enthusiastically donned the chef's hat for said roasting ... but it's less about Baz individually - even though his pacy line breaking and occasional taste for hard tackling are elements we're gagging for more of - it's that fact we're pumping 5+ years into draftees while blooding them in roles of high need then being spurned by them as they're about to mature as finished products.

Baz is infuriating as a footballer and frankly hard to warm to in general but as a 'type' he's absolutely the kind of asset clubs want to, and need to keep.

So again, assuming he's out the door, why can't we stop these blokes from defecting?

G-Mo77
04-05-2024, 09:57 PM

I want his signature more than English's

EasternWest
04-05-2024, 10:49 PM
I want his signature more than English's

I don't want either. Cash in on both.

MrMahatma
05-05-2024, 01:02 AM
I don't want either. Cash in on both.

I mean? it?s cool that Daicos kicked that goal to beat the Blues last night? but how about the hit out that made it happen!?

Ruck work and actual hit outs matter. English doesn?t ruck. I?m cashing him in too.

jeemak
05-05-2024, 01:43 AM
I'm all for letting English go if we can get a tap ruckman who can win more taps than he does and also at least register as many taps to advantage as he does. But at a lower price, because in doing so we'll lose what English can give us around the ground and at secondary contests in general play.

What I'm not for is going backwards by losing any around the ground or secondary contest capability, and not improving in tap work and taps to advantage. Just to save a few bucks.

Not sure I understand the concept of being worse in a position to make us better overall. If we do let English walk we better find someone better at at least one of the things he does.

Mofra
05-05-2024, 12:21 PM
I'm all for letting English go if we can get a tap ruckman who can win more taps than he does and also at least register as many taps to advantage as he does. But at a lower price, because in doing so we'll lose what English can give us around the ground and at secondary contests in general play.

What I'm not for is going backwards by losing any around the ground or secondary contest capability, and not improving in tap work and taps to advantage. Just to save a few bucks.

Not sure I understand the concept of being worse in a position to make us better overall. If we do let English walk we better find someone better at at least one of the things he does.
2026 Sam Darcy? Ideal 50/50 type
We need a player to plug that gap. I'd be all for keeping Lobb and letting English go but I don;t think that's what we're looking at.

westbulldog
05-05-2024, 01:51 PM
Jordon Sweet is good enough to be first ruck for the 6th placed team but not good enough to get a game with the dogs placed 10th/11th according to the match committee and our expert posters who are content with list cloggers such as Vandermeer. Against the Crows he had 13 possessions 3 marks 5 tackles 29 hit outs and 4 clearances. Ironic.

EasternWest
05-05-2024, 01:54 PM
Jordon Sweet is good enough to be first ruck for the 6th placed team but not good enough to get a game with the dogs placed 10th/11th according to the match committee and our expert posters who are content with list cloggers such as Vandermeer. Against the Crows he had 13 possessions 3 marks 5 tackles 29 hit outs and 4 clearances. Ironic.

Woop woop woop

How about the Lipinski guy, hey?

westbulldog
05-05-2024, 02:02 PM
Woop woop woop

How about the Lipinski guy, hey?

Just a lazy 24 possessions, 2 marks 5 tackles 4 clearances and a goal in the match of the round, not good enough for the mighty dogs, but hey we have Harmes :)

soupman
05-05-2024, 02:05 PM

Um he's only getting a game because their first ruck (who was the team that finished 13ths ruck last year) is out injured.

Sweet is hardly the main guy in a team that is coming 6th.

westbulldog
05-05-2024, 02:09 PM
Um he's only getting a game because their first ruck (who was the team that finished 13ths ruck last year) is out injured.

Sweet is hardly the main guy in a team that is coming 6th.

But the fact is Port rate him as good enough to be selected, we did not and never did and we do not have anything like a tap ruckman. In comparison, English had 28 hit outs 6 clearances against the Dockers, 25 and 2 v StKilda and 16 and 1 v Essendon.

GVGjr
05-05-2024, 02:11 PM
But the fact is Port rate him as good enough to be selected, we did not and we do not have anything like a tap ruckman.

We would have played him if English was injured. Playing both of them in the same game was a bit more problematic.

soupman
05-05-2024, 02:11 PM
But the fact is Port rate him as good enough to be selected, we did not and we do not have anything like a tap ruckman.

We picked him everytime our first ruck was out. Just like Port do.

Notice how when Soldo was playing they never picked Sweet?

Dazza
05-05-2024, 02:45 PM
I feel like the only way Sweet got games with us is if we never recruited Lobb and English was ok playing as 2nd ruck

bulldogtragic
05-05-2024, 06:26 PM
You think Bailey wants to fix this club or increase his brand exposure at last years premiers? (While we get bent over in a trade)

azabob
05-05-2024, 07:33 PM
You think Bailey wants to fix this club or increase his brand exposure at last years premiers? (While we get bent over in a trade)

Isn’t this the Tim English thread?

angelopetraglia
05-05-2024, 11:00 PM

Simple.

I would sit Bailey down now.

You are either sign up or you look for a club where we can be fairly compensated.

Otherwise you can see how it feels off broadway and flog your Barry drinks down at Arden street. Straight to NMFC you go.

bulldogtragic
05-05-2024, 11:08 PM
Simple.

You are either sign up or you look for a club where we can be fairly compensated.

Otherwise you can see how it feels off broadway and flog your Barry drinks down at Arden street. Straight to NMFC you go.

He’s gone. His brand is the most important thing to him and our brand won’t help his. But I reckon he picks Collingwood or maybe Geelong and we are screwed. I threaten the PSD but there’s only so much those clubs can and will offer.

angelopetraglia
05-05-2024, 11:10 PM
He’s gone. His brand is the most important thing to him and our brand won’t help his. But I reckon he picks Collingwood or maybe Geelong and we are screwed. I threaten the PSD but there’s only so much those clubs can and will offer.

Straight to Arden street and don't collect $200.

bulldogtragic
05-05-2024, 11:12 PM
Straight to Arden street and don't collect $200.

That threat at best motivates his manager to lean harder on the club. We should?ve traded him last year. Should?ve gone a lot last year. But here we are facing the abyss. Hoping to put hard decisions off again.

GVGjr
05-05-2024, 11:33 PM
Simple.

Do you think that would actually work and could that sort of ultimatum impact other players?

I'd ramp up the pressure and say to him that we need some off field wins and announcing that you are staying would be huge for the club and see if that triggers a response.
You can always play that ultimatum card later in the year but if we just want to do a temperature check we need to be a bit more subtle than that.

angelopetraglia
06-05-2024, 12:04 AM
Do you think that would actually work and could that sort of ultimatum impact other players?

I'd ramp up the pressure and say to him that we need some off field wins and announcing that you are staying would be huge for the club and see if that triggers a response.
You can always play that ultimatum card later in the year but if we just want to do a temperature check we need to be a bit more subtle than that.

It would depend on what the communication has been so far. What has he actually told them? What is there gut feel on the matter? You would need that information before going nuclear.

I'm assuming they are already trying the tactic that you are suggesting.

jeemak
06-05-2024, 12:08 AM
Giving that ultimatum is difficult, particularly if you don't know who your coach is going to be. Especially with someone who is close with the current coach.

We need to tell him and his management we want him no matter what, but won't waste valuable trade week time through the distraction of dealing with preferred destinations with no trade capital, kicking the can down the road, when trying to improve our list and actually get deals done. They can figure out what that means without the direct threat, surely.

AshMac
06-05-2024, 08:14 AM
That threat at best motivates his manager to lean harder on the club. We should?ve traded him last year. Should?ve gone a lot last year. But here we are facing the abyss. Hoping to put hard decisions off again.

I am starting to think there wasn?t the interest in him last year we thought there was.

I reckon the club knows exactly what?s coming and have for 18 months.

Bullies
06-05-2024, 08:32 AM
I am starting to think there wasn?t the interest in him last year we thought there was.

I reckon the club knows exactly what?s coming and have for 18 months. There is plenty of interest in him particularly from the marketing side for the clubs chasing. Would happily walk him to North rather than get a late 1st rounder from Cats/Pies.

azabob
28-05-2024, 07:57 PM
BULLDOGS SUPPORTIVE OF SMITH'S EUROPE TRIP IN RECOVERY FROM KNEE RECONSTRUCTION

BAILEY Smith will next month leave for Europe as part of his recovery from a knee reconstruction.

Smith, who ruptured his ACL in December last year, will embark on the overseas trip as a means of freshening up mentally. The change of scene is recommended by Smith?s surgeon Julian Feller and far from unusual in the AFL industry given the mundane and repetitive nature of reconstruction.

The Bulldogs are supportive of the move and have been mindful of ensuring the midfielder is in the best place mentally, with the club also allowing him to train at a local gym earlier this year before he could return to running.

But in the background is Smith?s clouded playing future. The 23-year-old is not only highly unlikely to play this year, but may have played his last game for the Bulldogs.

Smith is out of contract at season's end and could look to seek a fresh start elsewhere.

The Dogs have had a two-year contract in front of Smith since March.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2024/05/28/bulldogs-supportive-of-smiths-europe-trip-in-recovery-from-knee/

jeemak
28-05-2024, 07:59 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnRzSHTrQtw

Grantysghost
28-05-2024, 08:06 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnRzSHTrQtw

Haaaa.

Grantysghost
28-05-2024, 08:08 PM
I support it if it might help him stay. Anything.

EasternWest
28-05-2024, 08:12 PM
Tomorrowland in Belgium in a few weeks...

Grantysghost
28-05-2024, 08:54 PM
Any chance he plays this year if we go deep?

Grantysghost
28-05-2024, 08:56 PM
Tomorrowland in Belgium in a few weeks...
Father son? Has he played 100??

Edit : 103 games. Go hog wild baz.

Hotdog60
29-05-2024, 02:53 PM
Interesting he didn't use Young for his knee. He brought Libba snr back in 2 days to play with a brace.

Bullies
29-05-2024, 03:07 PM
Any chance he plays this year if we go deep? Not a chance. He can't risk his next contract.

Only if he signs with us for the 2 years would he be a chance to play and that is most unlikely.

bulldogtragic
02-06-2024, 11:19 AM
With the Hawks winning 5 of 7 they’ve moved into currently Pick 7 which will slide to Pick 8 after Ashcroft.

I hope the Hawks are trying hard to chase the former Hawks supporter who loves Sam Mitchell.

I think Pick 8 would be a solid return. I’d like another pick, maybe a F2. But as he’s out of contract we might need to do it. The Hawks are by far and away the best option for him to pick at this stage.

Or maybe we keep winning and he takes the offer that’s been on the table for 3 months? But I wouldn’t bet on it.

merantau
07-06-2024, 09:08 AM
I am not that bothered about Bailey Smith to be honest. Gets a lot of the ball but is not a good user. Has a huge life outside of football which is problematic for me. I prefer players like Tom Liberatore, Bob Murphy, Danny Southern, Rick Kennedy, Liam Picken.

mjp
07-06-2024, 09:55 AM
I am not that bothered about Bailey Smith to be honest. Gets a lot of the ball but is not a good user. Has a huge life outside of football which is problematic for me. I prefer players like Tom Liberatore, Bob Murphy, Danny Southern, Rick Kennedy, Liam Picken.

I understand the sentiment merantau but - and I'd probs have to double check - apart from Tom all those other blokes have retired! So, Bailey - whilst not better - is probs better 'right now'.

GVGjr
07-06-2024, 10:11 AM
I hope we can keep Bailey Smith as I like the prospect of him and Sanders emerging as midfielders but if his heart isn't in it or he's not really interested then we should get something decent as a return for his services if he decides to move on.

merantau
07-06-2024, 10:41 AM
I understand the sentiment merantau but - and I'd probs have to double check - apart from Tom all those other blokes have retired! So, Bailey - whilst not better - is probs better 'right now'.

There was a specific quality I was summoning up by naming those players. A quality that has little to do with playing ability. Maybe I'm too old school for the modern day football world and need to "get with the program".

mjp
07-06-2024, 11:09 AM
There was a specific quality I was summoning up by naming those players. A quality that has little to do with playing ability. Maybe I'm too old school for the modern day football world and need to "get with the program".

I know. I understood what you were saying (if not exactly how Bob Murphy got on that list but that's another story)...

My post was a JOKE!!

MrMahatma
07-06-2024, 11:19 AM
With the Hawks winning 5 of 7 they’ve moved into currently Pick 7 which will slide to Pick 8 after Ashcroft.

I hope the Hawks are trying hard to chase the former Hawks supporter who loves Sam Mitchell.

I think Pick 8 would be a solid return. I’d like another pick, maybe a F2. But as he’s out of contract we might need to do it. The Hawks are by far and away the best option for him to pick at this stage.

Or maybe we keep winning and he takes the offer that’s been on the table for 3 months? But I wouldn’t bet on it.

I want him to stay. Really do. We get a branding superstar in our colours and he makes our CLUB better/more relevant.

However, it wouldn't make any sense for him to sign now. Unless all other clubs walked away, why would he have held off this long then sign. So I'm now turning my perspective to - what can we get. I think given his knee (there's always doubts on if they player is the same) and the way draft picks are typically overrated, then pick 8 is maybe ok. I highly doubt we'll get a player better than Smith with that pick, but that's a better hand than what we'd get via the Pies.

Grantysghost
07-06-2024, 11:34 AM
Absolutely must keep if can. Not sure why he want to leave such a talented side with a huge role earmarked for him, but he is a significant off-field player so can see he would be looking to enhance that side of things and a bigger club would do that.

Grantysghost
07-06-2024, 11:35 AM
I hope we can keep Bailey Smith as I like the prospect of him and Sanders emerging as midfielders but if his heart isn't in it or he's not really interested then we should get something decent as a return for his services if he decides to move on.

Can we speculate on what we get?

To me has to be top 7 pick.

jeemak
07-06-2024, 11:58 AM
I'd be doing whatever I can to keep a proven finals performer who should be coming into their prime at our club.

It's a long shot that he'll be staying, not sure how we'll be compensated fairly given his likely destinations.

bulldogtragic
07-06-2024, 12:01 PM

Needs to pick Hawthorn or it’s a Dunkley re-run scenario.

The Adelaide Connection
07-06-2024, 12:04 PM

I agree to a degree- players like Picken and Cross (who were unassuming, not fashionable and seemingly ran on ticker to play above expectations) have been some of my favourite of all time.

But is not wanting the sideshow that comes along with Bailey a bit "small club syndrome" of us?

I mean, he is probably the most marketable player in the league and a tool that can be manipulated to grow our brand significantly. He is the Beckham of the AFL right now- that might be a bit polarising, but sheesh it is an opportunity.

Honestly, sending him to a big club is the last thing we want to do from an off-field perspective.

mjp
07-06-2024, 12:07 PM
Needs to pick Hawthorn or it’s a Dunkley re-run scenario.

Freo have 3-first round picks.

Use them somehow to make it work.

my plums
07-06-2024, 12:26 PM
Need to keep him somehow. For off-field as much as on field reasons.

Grantysghost
07-06-2024, 12:38 PM

Grainger-Barrass to Freo
Baz to Hawks
Pick 5 to Dogs.

Mantis
07-06-2024, 12:52 PM

As do GC.

Taking unders like we did with Dunks shouldn?t be an option.

mjp
07-06-2024, 01:00 PM
Grainger-Barrass to Freo
Baz to Hawks
Pick 5 to Dogs.

Why in the name of all that is holy would Freo want Grainger-Barrass??

Grantysghost
07-06-2024, 01:07 PM

He's from WA? Actually their defence is pretty stacked right and he's not done much to date.

Mofra
07-06-2024, 01:11 PM
He's from WA? Actually their defence is pretty stacked right and he's not done much to date.
DGB isn't worth anywhere near a first rounder on exposed form.

Grantysghost
07-06-2024, 01:15 PM
As do GC.

Taking unders like we did with Dunks shouldn?t be an option.

Dunks trade still hurts me.

Basically we received :

Pick 21 (2022) - Clarke.
Pick 17 (2023) - Used as part of Sanders with pick 10 and a future first. Ended up being pick 23 Hardeman at North.
Pick 40 (2023) - Went to Saints for Coffield with a few other late picks going each way
Pick 67 (2023) - Not used.

We gave :

Dunkley
Pick 47 (2023) - Lions used in Gunston trade out where they got Brandon Ryan in.
Pick 50ish (2023) - Can't quite work out where this went. BT?

In reality - it's pick 21 (22) and 23 (23) for Dunkley which is just shit house.

Grantysghost
07-06-2024, 01:16 PM
DGB isn't worth anywhere near a first rounder on exposed form.

Pick 6 too. Ouch Hawks. I haven't seen enough of him to know.

The Adelaide Connection
07-06-2024, 01:28 PM
WC In: English, Hawks Pick 8ish Out: Reid
Hawks In: Smith Out: Pick 8ish, F2
Dogs In: Reid, F2 Out: English and Smith

Expensive for us and never gonna happen based on Reid hype and ceiling- but I would do this.

Edit: Forgot Tim was a RFA.

jeemak
07-06-2024, 01:30 PM
Reid would be minimum three top ten picks, and that ain't gonna happen even if it is just fantastical spit balling you're doing.

The Adelaide Connection
07-06-2024, 01:35 PM
Reid would be minimum three top ten picks, and that ain't gonna happen even if it is just fantastical spit balling you're doing.

Yeah, I know.

Reid is not going to happen at any price based on the "one in a generation" potential. But on balance (aside the RFA aspect derailing) that is a pretty fair trade.

Grantysghost
07-06-2024, 01:45 PM
What were your thoughts pre draft MJP?

GVGjr
07-06-2024, 01:48 PM

It should be a top 10 pick but if it's anything later then perhaps a 1st rounder and 2nd rounder would be a fair return. There are some great youngsters in the draft so might be able to find a good replacement.

Happy Days
07-06-2024, 01:55 PM
WC In: English, Hawks Pick 8ish Out: Reid
Hawks In: Smith Out: Pick 8ish, F2
Dogs In: Reid, F2 Out: English and Smith

Expensive for us and never gonna happen based on Reid hype and ceiling- but I would do this.

Edit: Forgot Tim was a RFA.

Good deal IMHO.

azabob
07-06-2024, 01:57 PM
Pick 6 too. Ouch Hawks. I haven't seen enough of him to know.

The reason would be is because you do not watch Box Hill Hawks.

Bulldog Joe
07-06-2024, 02:25 PM
Grainger-Barrass to Freo
Baz to Hawks
Pick 5 to Dogs.

Freo would want a lot more for pick 5.

Grainger-Barrass has been uninspiring.

EDIT

Apologies posted this before reading all the thread.

mjp
07-06-2024, 02:39 PM
What were your thoughts pre draft MJP?

Good player.

But I raised some issues around 'character'...not 'cos he's a bad person, just 'cos of some things I knew he had...ummm...I'm not sure how to say any of this nicely so I'm just going to go with 'character'.

Basically, he has a lot of tools to make it but not necessarily the resilience. I had another horse in the race that year (he went to Sydney) and was very keen that 'my player' was better (and significantly) than the one from down the highway.

Uninformed
07-06-2024, 06:23 PM
Good player.

But I raised some issues around 'character'...not 'cos he's a bad person, just 'cos of some things I knew he had...ummm...I'm not sure how to say any of this nicely so I'm just going to go with 'character'.

Basically, he has a lot of tools to make it but not necessarily the resilience. I had another horse in the race that year (he went to Sydney) and was very keen that 'my player' was better (and significantly) than the one from down the highway.

You have got a good eye with the Sydney pick.

Hotdog60
22-06-2024, 10:26 AM
Bailey Smith?s European ?pre-season? photo sets tongues wagging ahead of AFL trade period

The sidelined AFL star is putting himself to work on holiday ahead of his career-altering contract decision.

https://images.7news.com.au/publication/C-15097755/c12284209d628cb5e60704db0971fc8090e39767-16x9-x0y0w1280h720.jpg?imwidth=1024&impolicy=sevennews_v2

Western Bulldogs star Bailey Smith has taken his recovery from the depths of season-ending ACL surgery to the heights of a hilltop European holiday.

Suffering the dreaded knee injury in December during pre-season training, the owner of the most famous mullet in the AFL was afforded a few weeks to soak up Europe?s sunny rays during his monotonous rehab schedule.

Camping out in France?s stunning coastal spot Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat, the 23-year-old dived head first into the croissant breakfasts and turquoise waters.
Documenting his travels and lifestyle through regular Instagram updates, Smith skipped over to Sicily where he continued his Vitamin D-fuelled recovery.

The AFL poster boy shared his White Lotus-inspired getaway to his 329,000 followers as he enjoyed picturesque Taormina views.

Made famous by the scandalous show?s second season, the Sicilian town?s umbrella-laden coastline, steep streets and endless sunshine were on full display.

https://images.7news.com.au/publication/C-15097755/6b30f3342a64f46f51e3057e78f22db19d07af4d.jpg?imwidth=828&impolicy=sevennews_v2

The change of scenery was suggested by Smith?s surgeon and supported by the club to combat the mental load of long-term recovery.

Smith?s photos of himself training on holiday ? with Sherrin in hand ? set Bulldog tongues wagging as fans pushed for the out-of-contract star to re-sign for next year and beyond.

?Looking forward to seeing you back next year in the red, white and blue,? one wrote, with a fellow Dogs fan even hoping Smith could return in time for this year?s finals series.

?I hope you?ve got pen in hand, ready to sign on again at the kennel Baz,? another said.

Collingwood, Geelong and Hawthorn have all been linked to Smith, and Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge recently stopped short of saying he expects the speedster to remain at the club.

?Welcome to the Hawks,? wrote one fan, with another Hawthorn supporter adding: ?James Sicily said he will give up number 6 for you when you throw on the brown and gold.?

Wherever he ends up, Smith is doing all he can to get ready.

?Pre-season all over again,? Smith wrote alongside a snap of his heart rate after another holiday workout.

?Love this s***.?

https://images.7news.com.au/publication/C-15097755/1ef7d695262c2ee9820ecd06f6207de89444c492.jpg?imwidth=828&impolicy=sevennews_v2

Beveridge still wants Smith to stick around at the Bulldogs but could not say he ?expects? him to re-sign.

?I think he?s got a lot of work to do and we haven?t got our head in the sand, we know that there?s a number of clubs who Bailey appeals to,? the coach told Channel 7?s Talking Footy.

?We?re working behind the scenes to make sure that he?s able to come back fit and healthy and strong, first and foremost.

?But secondary to that, I know he feels like he?s a significant part of the football club.

?It?s just that in the market and the short space of time that the playing group have to work within, if there?s a club or two or three that come at him with an astronomical deal, he may not be able to knock it back.

?There?s obviously stories about players probably sacrificing some of that to stay in an environment and we?ll work with him on his thought processes around that.?

LINK (https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/bailey-smiths-european-pre-season-photo-sets-tongues-wagging-ahead-of-afl-trade-period-c-15097755)

EasternWest
22-06-2024, 10:43 AM
Trade. Kthxbai.

Mat Lyons
22-06-2024, 11:51 AM
The Club have given him space and an opportunity to build his brand and Barry Beer company. This would be a significant boost to his finances and hopefully offset potential gains from Clubs throwing cash at him. With the relationships he has at the Club, the love we've shown him and his values, I expect him to remain.

bornadog
22-06-2024, 11:57 AM
A must re-signing

EasternWest
22-06-2024, 12:03 PM
The Club have given him space and an opportunity to build his brand and Barry Beer company. This would be a significant boost to his finances and hopefully offset potential gains from Clubs throwing cash at him. With the relationships he has at the Club, the love we've shown him and his values, I expect him to remain.

I think this is a pretty old school take.

Why on earth wouldn't a young narcissist take the money from his outside interests AND the big contract somewhere else?

Don't get me wrong I don't blame him for that, girls girls get that cash, just that the romantic notion of someone taking less out of loyalty is dead.

EasternWest
22-06-2024, 12:03 PM
A must re-signing

Nah. There's only two of those at our club and he ain't one of them.

Rocco Jones
22-06-2024, 12:20 PM
I think this is a pretty old school take.

Why on earth wouldn't a young narcissist take the money from his outside interests AND the big contract somewhere else?

Don't get me wrong I don't blame him for that, girls girls get that cash, just that the romantic notion of someone taking less out of loyalty is dead.

IDK if I have read this correctly but there is definitely 'loyalty' still left in footy. What loyalty is or was is up for debate. IDK how much of it was ever about the club/fans as fans like to think of it but I believe in still very much still remains in terms of staying with your mates, familiar surroundings and for a rate few, ingrained in the club (future legends who are really connected to the place).

Hotdog60
22-06-2024, 12:22 PM
I was going to put this under the FOLLOWING OUR EXES................... thread but I just haven't seen the horizontally challenged lady sing yet. :)

EasternWest
22-06-2024, 12:24 PM
IDK if I have read this correctly but there is definitely 'loyalty' still left in footy. What loyalty is or was is up for debate. IDK how much of it was ever about the club/fans as fans like to think of it but I believe in still very much still remains in terms of staying with your mates, familiar surroundings and for a rate few, ingrained in the club (future legends who are really connected to the place).

Nominally I agree, but "loyalty" also comes at a price point.

Eg if I'm earning 800 K a year and another club offers me 850 K I'd probably be "loyal". If they offer me 1.1 I'm out of there. My mates are still my mates, just now we can afford even better rack.

Rocco Jones
22-06-2024, 12:28 PM
Nominally I agree, but "loyalty" also comes at a price point.

Eg if I'm earning 800 K a year and another club offers me 850 K I'd probably be "loyal". If they offer me 1.1 I'm out of there. My mates are still my mates, just now we can afford even better rack.

For sure, but has that ever not been the case? It's always been 'loyalty' rather than loyalty. Of course loyalty is tested the bigger the possible temptation.

Rocco Jones
22-06-2024, 12:30 PM
I believe it's why we see such long contracts. If I am going to cop a significant amount less a season, I want to make sure I have some insurance if I do a couple of ACLs type thinking.

EasternWest
22-06-2024, 12:34 PM
For sure, but has that ever not been the case? It's always been 'loyalty' rather than loyalty. Of course loyalty is tested the bigger the possible temptation.

Well Chris Grant springs immediately to mind

Rocco Jones
22-06-2024, 12:50 PM
Well Chris Grant springs immediately to mind

Definitely. But as with any human behavioural element or whatever the correct term is, there are going to be outliers. No era ever had Chris Grant anywhere near the norm for loyalty standard.

Bailey Smith is perhaps a bit expectational the other way and the club doesn't really seem to fit him. He is pretty unique with how huge his brand is. I don't enough enough to truly judge the situation but we really don't seem to fit his brand. I would not be surprised at all if he leaves for a similiar/exact amount as money aside, he simply prefers say Collingwood over us.

ledge
22-06-2024, 02:34 PM
Just remember 100k pay offer is only 50k after tax.

EasternWest
22-06-2024, 04:02 PM

Lol, only 50 K in take home. Only.

The Underdog
22-06-2024, 05:19 PM

Reckon his accountant could get that up a bit.

EasternWest
22-06-2024, 05:34 PM
Reckon his accountant could get that up a bit.

I wanna live in ledge's world, where 50 grand is "only" 50 grand.

bornadog
22-06-2024, 05:36 PM
I wanna live in ledge's world, where 50 grand is "only" 50 grand.

only 6.25% of $800k

jeemak
22-06-2024, 05:47 PM

Ledge is a union member.....

Mofra
22-06-2024, 05:54 PM
Only if you have a very incompetent accountant

EasternWest
22-06-2024, 07:25 PM
only 6.25% of $800k

"Only" fifty grand.

I already knew ledge was a great man. I didn't know he was this great.

merantau
23-06-2024, 04:56 PM
One factor that Smith might be considering is HOW we finish off the year. End up in the Finals, perform well (and win the Flag!) - he'll be sure to stay. Just winning a final may be enough.

ledge
23-06-2024, 07:20 PM
"Only" fifty grand.

I already knew ledge was a great man. I didn't know he was this great.
My point is when your on 800k and offered an extra 50 k to leave family maybe interstate etc is it enough ?
I think there is more comes into life than just take the money because it’s more.

ledge
23-06-2024, 07:22 PM

I was a union rep back in the day, actually going through an EBA atm . :-)

EasternWest
23-06-2024, 08:50 PM
My point is when your on 800k and offered an extra 50 k to leave family maybe interstate etc is it enough ?
I think there is more comes into life than just take the money because it’s more.

I get your point, I'm just having a bit of fun with you.

jeemak
23-06-2024, 09:20 PM
Nets.

Ambos versus SDA special edition.

EasternWest
23-06-2024, 09:34 PM
Nets.

Ambos versus SDA special edition.

I see. And where am I in all this?

bulldogtragic
23-06-2024, 09:41 PM
I see. And where am I in all this?

Apparently not deeply offended. Big of you.