PDA

View Full Version : Josh Dunkley - A power Mid in 2019

bornadog
30-01-2019, 03:12 PM
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/attachments/05-josh-dunkley-jpg.611428/

Picture link here (https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/2019-preseason.1208586/page-26)

Height 190 cm

DOB 09-01-1997

Weight 88 kg

Debut 2016

Games - Career 25

Josh played in a Grand Final at the tender age of 19 years old and he has improved every year. Last year due to many team injuries he was thrown into the midfield and showed us he can become a beast.

I can see a big year for Josh and I am really looking forward to seeing how he develops this year.

Not blessed with speed, but can do the grunt work along with Libba/Wallis and free up The Bont. Needs to improve his set shot goal kicking. His aim should be best 22 and midfield beast with the occasional stint resting in the forward line.

Go_Dogs
30-01-2019, 08:15 PM
Dunks should be aiming to be one of our best five players. Like you,looking forward to seeing him impacts games through the midfield.

AshMac
31-01-2019, 07:49 AM
I liked him in the forward line at the start of the year. He is good overhead and knows how to find the pill. If he gets better at the simple things - kicking and running - he has the base footy brain and work rate to be great.

Torpedo
01-02-2019, 08:53 PM
Like many players, Josh needs to learn to kick through the ball when shooting for goal. Have noticed on many occasions that he tries to bends his knee and lifts the ball just over the line to try and steer it through, when having a deliberate shot. On the run he will kick it with a much better if somewhat awkward style (but not as awkward as his dad's kicking style), Classic example in third quarter of elimination final against WCE. He marked the ball at CHF, hesitates about the set shot, decides to play on and kicks truly from . Against Giants I think it was, he misses set shot from 25 metres out with a kick that barely got over the line.
Its a pity that this is inverse distance negativity trait affects so many players - club psych should be eradicating this negative head talk -all professional footballers should be able to take a positive approach into kicking at goals whatever the distance from goal.

Hotdog60
02-02-2019, 12:19 AM
All the players should try and kick it out of the stadium.

And not deprive all the kids out side the stadium getting a free footy.:)

Torpedo
02-02-2019, 01:53 PM
Reminds me of the day at the Western Oval, when Ron Barassi spat the dummy over an umpiring mistake, grabbed the footy and kicked it over the grandstand (or it may have been into the grandstand). Would have been the biggest kick of his career.

Topdog
02-02-2019, 02:24 PM
Yes please, really looking forward to him in midfield this year smashing players alongside Libba

Dry Rot
03-02-2019, 01:15 AM
By all accounts he finished last season well in the guts and then did that US pre-season training thing with Bont.

I'm expecting a huge season from him, starting with smashing Kennedy, Heeney and the rest of the Swans mids.

westdog54
03-02-2019, 04:28 PM
All the players should try and kick it out of the stadium.

And not deprive all the kids out side the stadium getting a free footy.:)

Are there any stadiums left where you can still realistically kick it out of the stadium?

Off the top of my head I can think of Spotless, Adelaide Oval and Mars Stadium as the only ones in regular use.

Agree with the sentiment, though.

Vred
04-02-2019, 04:53 AM
Dunks, Lib, Wally, gonna be so good watching them all dominate the mid.

AshMac
04-02-2019, 08:57 AM
Dunks, Lib, Wally, gonna be so good watching them all dominate the mid.

I was really interested to see Wally at times has been elite according to champion data, and is consistently “above average” even when his form has appeared to slump. I’d love to see him move into a permanent (no such thing w Bevo) forward role. I’d love to see us doing something similar with him as ge Giants with Toby Green. Different players but what Wally lacks in leg speed and outside class he makes up for in pressure around the ball and an intense competitiveness that sees him rarely beaten in 1 on 1’s

The Pie Man
04-02-2019, 11:57 AM
Looking forward to seeing Dunkley & Libba work together - though how many 'inside' mids is the right mix?

Assuming Wallis plays forward if selected - pretty sure he won't share midfield time with Dunkley & Lib.

Mofra
04-02-2019, 12:30 PM
Looking forward to seeing Dunkley & Libba work together - though how many 'inside' mids is the right mix?

Assuming Wallis plays forward if selected - pretty sure he won't share midfield time with Dunkley & Lib.
Dunks seem set to be paired with Bonti - Bont's contested numbers fell last year as Dunkley went into the middle more and that coincided with our best football for the year.

I suspect Dunkley plays the same sort of role he finished the year with. Our game from the end of last year is how we seem set to move forward after Bevo tried all sorts of combos last year.

whythelongface
04-02-2019, 05:06 PM
For mine Dunkley has the size and strength to play a similar role that Kennedy plays at Sydney. He has obviously been working on his power and strength in the off season. His quads are well developed (hopefully) allowing him to provide quick acceleration off the mark and his upper body strength will provide the opportunity to break a tackle and release effective handballs to our running type players.

I am really looking forward to Josh's progression in this area and believe he will have a breakout year and take his game to a new level.

jeemak
06-02-2019, 03:02 AM
For mine Dunkley has the size and strength to play a similar role that Kennedy plays at Sydney. He has obviously been working on his power and strength in the off season. His quads are well developed (hopefully) allowing him to provide quick acceleration off the mark and his upper body strength will provide the opportunity to break a tackle and release effective handballs to our running type players.

I am really looking forward to Josh's progression in this area and believe he will have a breakout year and take his game to a new level.

It's a really good comparison, take a look at their stats both at age 22:

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=17&playerStatus2=A&tid2=8&type=A&pid1=1758&pid2=4148&fid1=A&fopt1=22&fid2=A&fopt2=22

You would say that Dunkley is tracking pretty well on all counts, and has had some challenges with his body over the journey that may have hampered his development a touch.

I've stated here that I think Dunkley is a freak. With a bit more poise with his set shots he'll become more prolific with his scoring, and midfielders who hit the scoreboard regularly are worth their weight in gold.

Doggy
12-02-2019, 08:08 PM
By all accounts he finished last season well in the guts and then did that US pre-season training thing with Bont.

As a midfielder he averaged 29 disposals, 11 contested possessions, seven tackles and five marks per game from Round 15 onwards last season.

Dry Rot
12-02-2019, 09:24 PM
As a midfielder he averaged 29 disposals, 11 contested possessions, seven tackles and five marks per game from Round 15 onwards last season.

Pretty impressive. Those averages taken as a whole over those categories must be close to elite.

Doggy
12-02-2019, 10:36 PM
Pretty impressive. Those averages taken as a whole over those categories must be close to elite.

They are when you compare those stats with players such as Kennedy, Pendlebury, Martin, Wines, Fyfe and many more who are rated as elite.

AshMac
16-02-2019, 12:35 PM

Damn thats good. Did he play in the middle before round 15? Remember him starting the year in the forward line...

bornadog
21-02-2019, 04:35 PM
Fox Footy article on which players will become elite (read here (https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2019-the-player-at-every-club-most-likely-to-graduate-to-elite-status-at-end-of-season/news-story/879198fe328d1614240a76500425e39f))

WESTERN BULLDOGS — Josh Dunkley

Did you know that, according to Champion Data, Dunkley’s average disposal increase last year (+9.6) was the biggest of any player in the AFL? His final two months of the 2018 season was incredible, averaging 28.8 disposals, 11 contested possessions, 4.1 clearances, 6.7 tackles and 115.8 ranking points from his final nine games. Put those numbers up consistently for the whole of 2019 and he’ll be an elite player.

bornadog
12-05-2019, 03:34 PM
Starting to take the mantle

DOG GOD
12-05-2019, 03:54 PM
Starting to take the mantle

71 disposals in the last 2 weeks...what a difference it makes when the coach plays him in his best position. He’s been immense last 2 weeks in particular.

josie
12-05-2019, 04:24 PM
I have been critical of him-including asking should we trade him. I still think his goal kicking is poor, however he is turning into a midfield asset. Very Kennedy like so here’s hoping his career is that good. Loved his crucial tackle yesterday near our goal that led to his goal. Agree he was good for all 4 quarters too. Plus he is v good friends with Bonti, so hope Power re-signs him soon.

Ghost Dog
12-05-2019, 05:06 PM
It's the bloodlines.

Dancin' Douggy
13-05-2019, 01:32 PM
I was playing a gig recently and was speaking to a couple of blokes from Gippsland who knew the Dunkley's, and told me that Dunkley's little brother, (I presume it's Kyle, unless there's more of them) was DEFINITELY coming to the dogs. I know the system doesn't work like that but they were adamant he told all the other clubs he WOULDN'T go there if they picked him. I know this all sounds crazy but they were damn certain. Weren't dog supporters either.

Anyway.......just thought I'd dump that here.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
13-05-2019, 02:56 PM
I was playing a gig recently and was speaking to a couple of blokes from Gippsland who knew the Dunkley's, and told me that Dunkley's little brother, (I presume it's Kyle, unless there's more of them) was DEFINITELY coming to the dogs. I know the system doesn't work like that but they were adamant he told all the other clubs he WOULDN'T go there if they picked him. I know this all sounds crazy but they were damn certain. Weren't dog supporters either.

Anyway.......just thought I'd dump that here.

Interesting... given media commentary has been a few clubs very interested in him in the mid season draft.

bornadog
14-05-2019, 10:04 AM
Dog's midfield switch delivers video-game numbers (https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-05-13/stats-files-dogs-midfield-switch-delivers-videogame-numbers)

JOSH Dunkley, the midfielder, returned with a vengeance in the past fortnight.

Video-game numbers of 35.5 disposals (18.5 contested), eight clearances, eight tackles, eight score involvements and five inside 50s make for a stunning return for the Western Bulldogs.

The 22-year-old was a distant sixth at the club for centre attendances this year in the first six rounds, but superstar Marcus Bontempelli is the sole Dog with more in the ensuing games (33-32).

Fifteen AFL Players' Association votes in the same span further highlights Dunkley's top-notch contribution.

The numbers are reminiscent of what he produced in the final nine rounds last season, when coach Luke Beveridge unleashed him as an onballer.

Dunkley spent a month out of the side after round nine, had a 15-possession 'sighter' in his senior return, then went on a rampage until the end of the season in averaging 28.8 disposals.

That withering finish seemed to have him primed for a monster 2019 campaign, but it's not that simple at the Kennel.

Beveridge boasts one of the AFL's deepest midfield units, including Bontempelli, Jack Macrae, Tom Liberatore, Lachie Hunter, Mitch Wallis, Toby McLean and, of course, Dunkley.

Top-10 draftee Bailey Smith has added to that rotation this season, too.

In particular, Liberatore's return from a knee reconstruction and strong early-season form complicated the situation for Dunkley, because there are only so many minutes to go around.

It meant Dunkley was shuffled back to mostly forward duties, where his knack for finding the Sherrin was still apparent – but his goalkicking inaccuracy feeds the Dogs' club-wide issue.

JOSH DUNKLEY'S PLAYING POSITIONS

YEAR
ROUNDS
MIDFIELD
FORWARD

1-9
25%
72%

14-23
75%
24%

1-6
40%
60%

7-8
68.5%
31.5%

McLean, Saint Blake Acres, Geelong's Gary Ablett and Giant Matt de Boer join Dunkley as the only footballers with close to a 50-50 split of forward and midfield time since the start of last year.

Dunkley ranks second League-wide for possessions and tackles per 100 minutes in attack this season, first for clearances and fourth for groundball-gets.

However, Dunkley's career shot-at-goal accuracy is just 34.5 per cent, which is only marginally better at 36.4 per cent in 2019.

The Gippsland Power product's kicking in general was questioned ahead of the 2015 draft and was a black mark in his early seasons in the AFL, but this is another area he has dramatically improved.
Champion Data's kick rating, which factors in the difficulty of each attempt, sums up Dunkley's development.
A positive result means the player is successfully executing their kicks more often than an average footballer is expected to – and vice versa.

JOSH DUNKLEY'S KICK RATING*

YEAR
ALL KICKS
KICKS INSIDE 50

-8.4%
-6.1%

-8.9%
-13.4%

-3.9%
-4.5%

+3.4%
+12.7%

Dunkley's per-100 minutes statistics as a midfielder are also eye-popping.

He is eighth in the competition for disposals, second for contested possessions, intercept possessions and intercept marks (behind Nat Fyfe) and fourth for groundball-gets.

Over to you, Bevo.

Mofra
14-05-2019, 10:45 AM
He's the new Clay Smith for kicking based on those stats. Terrible action, questionable field kick (still), but ok forward.

comrade
14-05-2019, 11:29 AM
He's the new Clay Smith for kicking based on those stats. Terrible action, questionable field kick (still), but ok forward.

He just needs to keep it simple and give himself 2 options. If he's in the clear, or has taken a mark, only hit up free targets within 20 metres. Otherwise, just smash it long for territory.

Nothing fancy, nothing precise, play within his limits, and he'll have a long and illustrious career.

Axe Man
14-05-2019, 11:35 AM

How so? Those stats say his kicking so far this year is above the league average after 3 seasons below average. His kicking inside 50 is particularly good.

He's still no Bont but his field kicking seems to have improved. His goal kicking on the other hand...

Mofra
14-05-2019, 11:40 AM
How so? Those stats say his kicking so far this year is above the league average after 3 seasons below average. His kicking inside 50 is particularly good.

He's still no Bont but his field kicking seems to have improved. His goal kicking on the other hand...
The stats show his kicking inside 50 is far better than his field kicking, just like Smith. There is a marginal increase in midfield field kicking this year (albeit from a small sample). Also note a long kick down the line is considered an effective kick as long as it isn't marked by an opposition player, despite being perhaps the easiest kick in football to execute.

Clay kicked 8 goals 1 behind in the 2016 finals series (and was a contested warrior).

Axe Man
14-05-2019, 11:46 AM
The stats show his kicking inside 50 is far better than his field kicking, just like Smith. There is a marginal increase in midfield field kicking this year (albeit from a small sample). Also note a long kick down the line is considered an effective kick as long as it isn't marked by an opposition player, despite being perhaps the easiest kick in football to execute.

Clay kicked 8 goals 1 behind in the 2016 finals series (and was a contested warrior).

Is kicking inside 50 for that stat kicks whilst he is inside 50, or kicking from outside 50 into the forward 50? Either way they are the most difficult kicks to execute in the game and he seems to be performing well there.

Clay was always a good kick for goal, Dunkley never has been and probably never will be.

bornadog
14-05-2019, 11:47 AM

As a mid, Dunks is way ahead of Clay.

Greystache
14-05-2019, 01:15 PM

I would've thought he's the opposite to Clay based on those stast. Dunkley is a pretty decent field kick (particularly this season) but a poor kick at goal. While Clay was a pretty ordinary field kick and an excellent kick for goal.

Both have wonky actions with bad ball drops but Dunkley seems to be able to get ball to foot pretty reasonably in open play and be effective enough, his goal kicking is just rubbish. Clay's problem was he was right handed and left footed, so getting the ball to foot in open play was always a problem, but when he had time and composure from a set shot was very accurate.

Twodogs
14-05-2019, 01:21 PM
Were Clay's kicking problems anything to do with his knee injurys? I cant imagine they would have helped

Greystache
14-05-2019, 01:24 PM
Were Clay's problems anything to do with his knee injurys?

No, he hadn't done a knee until his second season at the club. His kicking has always been wonky.

Twodogs
14-05-2019, 01:25 PM
No, he hadn't done a knee until his second season at the club. His kicking has always been wonky.

Cheers 'stache.

Mofra
14-05-2019, 01:35 PM
Were Clay's kicking problems anything to do with his knee injurys? I cant imagine they would have helped
I remember a conversation someone had with B-Mac about Clay.

"Gee I wish he could kick"
BM: "I don't, then we wouldn't have gotten him at pick 17"

His disposal was his one weak point. Sadly, he was also seen as extremely durable as a junior.

Cyberdoggie
14-05-2019, 01:39 PM
I think the evidence is there from last year and this that Dunks performances are mirroring the teams. When Dunks has a blinder in the middle, we also do well.

I'm glad to see that Bevo has now realized this, perhaps they can now figure out why McLean has been inconsistent this year.

Mofra
14-05-2019, 05:32 PM
I'm glad to see that Bevo has now realized this, perhaps they can now figure out why McLean has been inconsistent this year.
McLean hasn't been getting as much time on ball so is getting less of the ball.

GVGjr
14-05-2019, 07:51 PM
Dunkley's form improvement just happens to coincide with him spending more time in the last 2 weeks in his best position. Hopefully Bevo resists the urge to leave him more forward than in the midfield.
I really want to see how he performs against Geelong this Saturday

AshMac
14-05-2019, 08:11 PM
Over the last couple of weeks he has taken on that extractor role from Libba. I didn’t think they’d play in the center at the same time but it works with some elite polish as the second touch - Macrae or Bont

Axe Man
14-05-2019, 10:28 PM
Over the last couple of weeks he has taken on that extractor role from Libba. I didn’t think they’d play in the center at the same time but it works with some elite polish as the second touch - Macrae or Bont

Not sure if it’s a coincidence but Libba/Dunkley seem to be our barometer. Libba was on fire early in the season and we played well. As his form curtailed, so did ours. Dunkley’s increased midfield time at the expense of Libba’s has seen him play 2 blinders and our form seemingly return.

bornadog
16-06-2019, 01:19 AM
Players to have had 40+ disp, 10+ tackles and 1+ goals in a V/@AFL (https://twitter.com/AFL) game

Bryce Gibbs
Tom Mitchell
Lachie Neale
Tom Rockliff (x3)
Joel Selwood (x2)
Jack Steven
JOSH DUNKLEY

bulldogtragic
16-06-2019, 11:23 AM
He's doing well to hold off signing the contract he's been offered. His manager will be asking for more money or an extra year.

lemmon
16-06-2019, 11:34 AM
He's doing well to hold off signing the contract he's been offered. His manager will be asking for more money or an extra year.

Deserves the extra coin too. He's our second best mid after Bont.

He's quietly made himself into a 750k a year player in the last 7 weeks.

jeemak
16-06-2019, 10:30 PM
Deserves the extra coin too. He's our second best mid after Bont.

He's quietly made himself into a 750k a year player in the last 7 weeks.

With Jacko a bit down this year you might well be right. But, when Jacko is up he is super creative and damaging with both hand and foot to an extent Dunkley hasn't shown (and probably won't) he can be, but doesn't hit the scoreboard with the regularity we would all like (which Dunkley does).

Locking him down is so important to us, having all three of him, Jacko and Bont as big and strong midfielders is going to be key to us over the next few years.

westdog54
16-06-2019, 10:53 PM
Players to have had 40+ disp, 10+ tackles and 1+ goals in a V/@AFL (https://twitter.com/AFL) game

Bryce Gibbs
Tom Mitchell
Lachie Neale
Tom Rockliff (x3)
Joel Selwood (x2)
Jack Steven
JOSH DUNKLEY

That is extremely elite company.

He's the bargain of the his draft year.

bornadog
16-06-2019, 11:26 PM
With Jacko a bit down this year you might well be right. But, when Jacko is up he is super creative and damaging with both hand and foot to an extent Dunkley hasn't shown (and probably won't) he can be, but doesn't hit the scoreboard with the regularity we would all like (which Dunkley does).

Locking him down is so important to us, having all three of him, Jacko and Bont as big and strong midfielders is going to be key to us over the next few years.

It would be nice for Macrae to hit the scoreboard, but I am not as fussed as I was in the past, especially when I have seen Cripps with hardly any goals in his career.

Eastdog
16-06-2019, 11:28 PM
He has been excellent Josh. Would be doing well at the moment in the B&F up there with Jack.

Dry Rot
17-06-2019, 12:41 AM
That is extremely elite company.

He's the bargain of the his draft year.

I am so happy he told the Swans that they could **** off with their father/son nomination.

Saw a fair bit of his old man - great nasty FB. Glad to get his son.

Ozza
17-06-2019, 11:51 AM
I said in another thread....I see Dunks as being a huge chance to become our Vice Captain next year when they make Bontempelli captain.

azabob
17-06-2019, 01:54 PM
I said in another thread....I see Dunks as being a huge chance to become our Vice Captain next year when they make Bontempelli captain.

My only concern is with Dunkley and Bontempelli being such close mates off the field is there potential for too much of the same kool aid being drunk?

As an individual Dunkley would be a dead set certainty to hold an offical leadership title at some stage in his career.

bornadog
15-07-2019, 03:45 PM
https://scontent.fmel2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/66765515_10157291764937487_8181275549071572992_o.jpg?_nc_cat =111&_nc_oc=AQmCtkJSbbK1AbGX8lEtE0_Co8Y_wXgw6egfHUcSAGz6b43CjOXKw xcN1EIUBxclphI&_nc_ht=scontent.fmel2-1.fna&oh=461d4452ecb61757cdedc363873275dd&oe=5DBDCA72

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAoLY_eir8k

ratsmac
15-07-2019, 07:25 PM
What a brute of a player he has become. He is punching out elite numbers now.

Go_Dogs
15-07-2019, 07:31 PM
Unfathomable we refused to move him in for so long....but stoked he's delivering.

bulldogtragic
15-07-2019, 07:35 PM
I can't remember a lot of sensational HTBs. But, that could well be the best one I've ever seen. I mean he came from nowhere, as quick as The Flash or Superman. Hit him hard and fair, and without the adrenalin over cooking it and ensuring the right technique kept it legit. There should be a new stat, since Theres always new one coming in; certain goal save. That would articulate how good it was more than a tackle and free kick for.

(Yes, Morris' tackle on Buddy was a freakin gem but equaled by Tom Boyd's outrageous finish from inside the square)

Twodogs
15-07-2019, 07:38 PM
I can't remember a lot of sensational HTBs. But, that could well be the best one I've ever seen. I mean he came from nowhere, as quick as The Flash or Superman. Hit him hard and fair, and without the adrenalin over cooking it and ensuring the right technique kept it legit. There should be a new stat, since Theres always new one coming in; certain goal save. That would articulate how good it was more than a tackle and free kick for.

(Yes, Morris' tackle on Buddy was a freakin gem but equaled by Tom Boyd's outrageous finish from inside the square)

Nathan Brown, Young Robert Murphy and Brian Griffith all played good footy across half back early in their careers.

azabob
15-07-2019, 09:07 PM
Unfathomable we refused to move him in for so long....but stoked he's delivering.

Did you hear Bevo’s 45 second justification on why it took the MC so long to move him into the midfield.

hujsh
15-07-2019, 11:37 PM
Nathan Brown, Young Robert Murphy and Brian Griffith all played good footy across half back early in their careers.

HTBs = Holding the Balls in this case Twodogs

Bulldog Revolution
15-07-2019, 11:41 PM
Fantastic tackling highlight reel - highlights what a super game he played

Mofra
16-07-2019, 11:03 AM
Did you hear Bevo’s 45 second justification on why it took the MC so long to move him into the midfield.
No, can you summarise?

Twodogs
16-07-2019, 10:12 PM
HTBs = Holding the Balls in this case Twodogs

You're right, I looked at it and didn't notice the 'T' in the middle.

jeemak
17-07-2019, 02:06 AM

No, can you summarise?

Watch here from the three minute mark:

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2019-07-14/post-match-beveridge-press-conference-rd17

Basically said we needed him forward and then needed him in the midfield. The former lacks tall depth at times and given he's a good aerialist and pretty good forward he can help, but as the season progressed the latter wasn't delivering and it was decided to increase his time there in the first instance to improve that area of the ground and in the second cover some losses in Wallis and now Liberatore.

comrade
17-07-2019, 08:43 AM
Watch here from the three minute mark:

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2019-07-14/post-match-beveridge-press-conference-rd17

Basically said we needed him forward and then needed him in the midfield. The former lacks tall depth at times and given he's a good aerialist and pretty good forward he can help, but as the season progressed the latter wasn't delivering and it was decided to increase his time there in the first instance to improve that area of the ground and in the second cover some losses in Wallis and now Liberatore.

Bevo can try to justify it any way he likes. It was a poor decision then, and it only looks worse in hindsight given Dunks' form over the past 2 months.

We had Billy Gowers in the centre in lieu of Dunkley on multiple occasions, ffs. It was a joke.

bornadog
17-07-2019, 08:51 AM
Bevo can try to justify it any way he likes. It was a poor decision then, and it only looks worse in hindsight given Dunks' form over the past 2 months.

We had Billy Gowers in the centre in lieu of Dunkley on multiple occasions, ffs. It was a joke.

Yeah in hindsight this one didn't look good at all, however, I don't mind a coach who likes to try new things in order to win games and get the best of out players. Sometimes they work (Lippa), sometimes they don't. In any case, Dunkley is becoming a beast in the midfield and it is great to watch.

AshMac
17-07-2019, 09:21 AM
https://scontent.fmel2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/66765515_10157291764937487_8181275549071572992_o.jpg?_nc_cat =111&_nc_oc=AQmCtkJSbbK1AbGX8lEtE0_Co8Y_wXgw6egfHUcSAGz6b43CjOXKw xcN1EIUBxclphI&_nc_ht=scontent.fmel2-1.fna&oh=461d4452ecb61757cdedc363873275dd&oe=5DBDCA72

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAoLY_eir8k

God that highlight real is good to watch!!

His tackle craft is outstanding the way he tools through the hips coming down to avoid landing in the back and his strength to hold on and not be shrugged off.

That tackle on Brayshaw was the highlight of the game for me.

GVGjr
17-07-2019, 09:25 AM
Yeah in hindsight this one didn't look good at all, however, I don't mind a coach who likes to try new things in order to win games and get the best of out players. Sometimes they work (Lippa), sometimes they don't. In any case, Dunkley is becoming a beast in the midfield and it is great to watch.

Is it really a 'hindsight' moment? I think most were saying early on in the season it wasn't working. Easton Wood was given just two JLT games as a forward before it was recognised it wasn't working.

I don't blame Bevo for trying it but did he really not see it wasn't working or did he just dig in his heels?

bornadog
17-07-2019, 10:03 AM
Is it really a 'hindsight' moment? I think most were saying early on in the season it wasn't working. Easton Wood was given just two JLT games as a forward before it was recognised it wasn't working.

I don't blame Bevo for trying it but did he really not see it wasn't working or did he just dig in his heels?

I have no problem with the coach trying new things in order to win games. When they don't work, he changes it up.

Mofra
17-07-2019, 10:41 AM
In this instance he had plenty of exposed form to draw from though as Dunkley had played predominantly forward and predominantly centre in previous years.

Happy Days
17-07-2019, 12:22 PM
Dunkley's back half of last year was incredible too - guess where he was playing then.

GVGjr
17-07-2019, 01:44 PM
I have no problem with the coach trying new things in order to win games. When they don't work, he changes it up.

He stuck with it a lot longer than he should have and by the way, you called the Easton Wood move back to defence after just one JLT week

jeemak
17-07-2019, 02:34 PM
Here's how his games have tracked:

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pg-western-bulldogs--josh-dunkley

I think the biggest issue was that he wasn't playing as effectively forward as we know he had the potential to, so this actually compounded the issue. He was playing 50-50 or so according to the coach, he's probably now at 75-25 or something like that, so the upsurge probably has as much to do with form than it does anything else, but that's hard to tell.

Ozza
17-07-2019, 03:11 PM
Dunkley's back half of last year was incredible too - guess where he was playing then.

Yes. Last season, he went from being out of the team, to coming back in and being a key cog in the midfield, so it was perplexing that he wasn't in there from the start of this season while others jumped the queue. His back half of the year in the midfield was so good that he came from nowhere at half way - to running 5th in the B&F - so it wasn't like the MC didn't think he performed well there.

Twodogs
07-08-2019, 11:41 PM
Interesting comments from Andrew Dunkley on the AFL page:

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2019-sydney-swans-hall-of-famer-andrew-dunkleys-relationship-with-the-club-is-now-nonexistent/news-story/10dae5b98f5a70b6e81d6d895a8826c9

He has nothing to do with the Swans anymore and feels abandoned by Paul Roos.

bornadog
07-08-2019, 11:49 PM

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2019-sydney-swans-hall-of-famer-andrew-dunkleys-relationship-with-the-club-is-now-nonexistent/news-story/10dae5b98f5a70b6e81d6d895a8826c9

You need to watch Open Mike - was on last night

Twodogs
07-08-2019, 11:52 PM
You need to watch Open Mike - was on last night

I will watch it later. Is it on FOX?

bornadog
07-08-2019, 11:53 PM
I will watch it later. Is it on FOX?

Yes - if you have Fox, then On demand

Twodogs
07-08-2019, 11:58 PM
Yes - if you have Fox, then On demand

Yep, I've got Fox. Not for much longer though. Kayo or the sports deal with Optus internet will do from now on. Bugger paying for both internet and pay TV when I barely watch anything other than sports on pay TV.

bornadog
08-08-2019, 12:01 AM
Yep, I've got Fox. Not for much longer though. Kayo or the sports deal with Optus internet will do from now on. Bugger paying for both internet and pay TV when I barely watch anything other than sports on pay TV.

You can still watch Open Mike on Kayo

Twodogs
08-08-2019, 12:05 AM
Can you can still watch Open Mike on Kayo

It's EPL that I am really interested in for the next few months. It's not on SBS anymore.

bornadog
08-08-2019, 12:06 AM
It's EPL that I am really interested in for the next few months. It's not on SBS anymore.

Sorry meant to write You can. EPL on Foxtel? (Kayo) didn't know that

Twodogs
08-08-2019, 12:22 AM
Sorry meant to write You can. EPL on Foxtel? (Kayo) didn't know that

No EPL will be on Optus which is the internet sports package we are getting.

comrade
08-08-2019, 09:40 AM
Those are the words of a bitter man.

bornadog
08-08-2019, 09:42 AM

Yeah, I wonder what happened.

Twodogs
08-08-2019, 09:47 AM
Yeah, I wonder what happened.

He says in the article. He spent the last year of his playing career virtually as an assistant coach in defence with the expectation/understanding of getting a coaching gig with Sydney the next year but Roos did him over, or at least he thinks that Roos did him over and the coaching job didn't evenuate. It sounds just like Paul Roos' man management techniques from what I have heard.

Ozza
08-08-2019, 10:18 PM
Was an extremely awkward episode of Open Mike! Couldn't turn away though!

AshMac
09-08-2019, 09:24 AM

That’s brutal

Twodogs
09-08-2019, 10:15 AM

It's funny but Roos tends to leave a few of those behind him.

KT31
10-08-2019, 11:35 PM
Another cracking game tonight with 39 possessions.

bulldogtragic
10-08-2019, 11:44 PM
Man, the whole pick trade with Carlton could've gone bad after Collins was delisted. But he's raising his game to a level where soon enough the conversation won't be at all about that pick trade, but what in the hell was Sydney thinking to leave him alone. In 5 years, he will be one of the biggest bonafide beasts in the comp.

macca
11-08-2019, 12:35 AM
Dunks turned on beast mode tonight. 16 possession at qtr time, and 11 were contested! Absolute BEAST and jet!
cheap push by stringer in the second that took the wind out of dunks. What a champ gets up and takes the free kick.

Dry Rot
11-08-2019, 12:40 AM
what in the hell was Sydney thinking to leave him alone.

Hang on, IIRC he told the Swans to get ****ed as a father and son. He didn't want to go there.

westbulldog
11-08-2019, 12:44 AM
Dunkley snr had nothing glowing to say about the Swans.
Dunkley jnr is in All Australian form.

bulldogtragic
11-08-2019, 12:45 AM
Hang on, IIRC he told the Swans to get ****ed as a father and son. He didn't want to go there.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-04-06/dunkley-a-happy-dog-after-awkward-fatherson-moment

According to Josh & Sydney, they wanted each other. We bid too high (a bargain for us). Plenty of other media sources say the same too.

Bulldog4life
11-08-2019, 12:05 PM
https://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-04-06/dunkley-a-happy-dog-after-awkward-fatherson-moment

According to Josh & Sydney, they wanted each other. We bid too high (a bargain for us). Plenty of other media sources say the same too.

Silly Sydney.

bulldogtragic
11-08-2019, 12:10 PM
Silly Sydney.

And missed his brother too. Ah well...

Bulldog4life
11-08-2019, 12:13 PM
And missed his brother too. Ah well...

Maybe they didn't want Dad turning up.....:D

The bulldog tragician
11-08-2019, 12:15 PM
I thought Dunkley would miss a couple of weeks after that bone-rattling attack by Robinson last week, instead he’s as brave as ever. It was a cheap shot by Stringer to go knees up into his back at one point, but from all we know about him, entirely typical.

Bulldog4life
11-08-2019, 12:17 PM
I thought Dunkley would miss a couple of weeks after that bone-rattling attack by Robinson last week, instead he’s as brave as ever. It was a cheap shot by Stringer to go knees up into his back at one point, but from all we know about him, entirely typical.

You could see Jake was frustrated. Seeing your old club that turfed you out thrashing your new club. A lot of salt in the wound.

bulldogtragic
11-08-2019, 12:21 PM
You could see Jake was frustrated. Seeing your old club that turfed you out thrashing your new club. A lot of salt in the wound.

That warms my heart.

hujsh
11-08-2019, 01:18 PM

Getting that first clearance after a scuffle with Bont would have felt sweet. Then he didn't touch it for the rest of the quarter so hope he savored that taste

westdog54
13-08-2019, 07:09 PM
http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2019-08-13/dunkleys-perfect-day-coaches-votes

Dunks is one of only four players to have four "Perfect 10" games in AFLCA Award voting.

The others are Neale, Cripps and Dangerfield.

That is elite company.

AshMac
16-08-2019, 01:08 AM

I specifically remember Sydney committing to him past a certain number - in essence not committing to him.

soupman
16-08-2019, 10:10 AM
I'm pretty sure Dunkley wanted to stay in Melbourne. So the deal was if a Melbourne club nominated him Sydney would let him go. If an interstate club nominated him Sydney would take him.

bornadog
16-08-2019, 10:21 AM
Dunks is on Bob's Podcast this week, Freedom in a cage and talks a bit about Father/Son.

Listen here (https://webplayer.whooshkaa.com/show/6922?theme=dark&share-parent-page=true&hide-download=true&episode=409356)

Topdog
16-08-2019, 11:14 AM
This guy is an absolute monster in the middle. Has made our midfield incredibly strong

Bulldog4life
16-08-2019, 03:00 PM
I love seeing Dunks playing for us. The tougher it gets the more he seems to relish it. A great get.

Twodogs
17-08-2019, 08:51 AM
I'm pretty sure Dunkley wanted to stay in Melbourne. So the deal was if a Melbourne club nominated him Sydney would let him go. If an interstate club nominated him Sydney would take him.

That's what I thought too.

1eyedog
24-08-2019, 10:49 AM
Is he becoming our best player? We've voted him BOG in 4 of the last 5 games. He's a Panzer.

GVGjr
24-08-2019, 10:56 AM
Is he becoming our best player? We've voted him BOG in 4 of the last 5 games. He's a Panzer.

I don't think he is our best but the gap is closing on Macrae and Bontempelli

Bulldog Joe
24-08-2019, 12:50 PM

He is certainly in brilliant form, but he is brute strength against Bontempelli's class.

jeemak
24-08-2019, 04:50 PM
He's adequate with his field disposal, whereas Bont and Jacko are elite when on. His strength in being able to get forward and impact the scoreboard narrows the gap on the latter though.

1eyedog
24-08-2019, 05:38 PM
Perhaps he's our most effective then. He's certainly been the difference a few games now.

GVGjr
24-08-2019, 05:39 PM
Perhaps he's our most effective then. He's certainly been the difference a few games now.

Our fortunes started to change when he was moved more full time into the midfield but he's been exceptional in the 2nd half of the year

Happy Days
24-08-2019, 07:00 PM
He's our best looking player. So that's something.

1eyedog
24-08-2019, 07:19 PM
No chance Baz has got it going on.

josie
24-08-2019, 07:49 PM
He's our best looking player. So that's something. Hmmmm-Wood and Lewy Young would look pretty good on the catwalk, perhaps Lippy too. T Boyd was very photogenic with that mighty fine head of hair too.

I was pretty critical of his disposal incl earlier this year but he continues to improve that l and is proving to be an absolute gun midfielder and good for a goal or so a game. Scary to think he will presumably become more physically imposing too. Very reliable week to week now. Let’s hope he can keep it up. I am still very nervous when he has a set shot for goal (but then I am with Bont nowadays too!!).

Ozza
26-08-2019, 01:10 AM
When Dunks had 15 and a goal in a tough first half againts Hawthorn in the 2016 semi as an 18 year old - I was pretty sure we had ourselves a fair player. Amazing how quickly he has developed into a star.

Bulldog4life
26-08-2019, 11:36 AM
When Dunks, Macrae and the Bont are all "on" we will win most matches.

Bulldog Joe
26-08-2019, 11:47 AM

When all three are on, we just need forward conversion.

If one of Naughton, Schache or Dale also have a big game we are virtually unbeatable.

bornadog
09-01-2020, 05:26 PM
Happy 23rd birthday Josh Dunkley

Polling the perfect 10
@AFLCoaches
votes in 2019 H&A season
1x: 48 players
2x: 19 players
3x: Travis Boak, Marcus Bontempelli
4x: Jeremy Cameron, Patrick Cripps, Lachie Neale
5x: JOSH DUNKLEY, Patrick Dangerfield

AshMac
10-01-2020, 11:18 AM

Polling the perfect 10
@AFLCoaches
votes in 2019 H&A season

In elite company

Mofra
10-01-2020, 04:41 PM
I look forward to him at least maintaining the level he set last year - he and Bont went back to the Nike facility they visited last year over the off season.

Eastdog
10-01-2020, 04:47 PM
In elite company

Yep some big names there.

strebla
10-01-2020, 05:08 PM

Polling the perfect 10
@AFLCoaches
votes in 2019 H&A season

The Bont 3 time too a great effort in itself

AshMac
13-01-2020, 08:54 AM
I look forward to him at least maintaining the level he set last year - he and Bont went back to the Nike facility they visited last year over the off season.

Did they go again this offseason? I saw petracca and another demons player went, and Crozier lined up on that quick NFL player but that’s all I saw

Mofra
13-01-2020, 11:44 AM
Did they go again this offseason? I saw petracca and another demons player went, and Crozier lined up on that quick NFL player but that’s all I saw
Dunkley was in that video with Crozier as well. Bont had a picture or two up on his instagram weeks ago IIRC

AshMac
13-01-2020, 06:26 PM
Dunkley was in that video with Crozier as well. Bont had a picture or two up on his instagram weeks ago IIRC

If Bont is able to take his game to the next level then I’m going to have to quit my job to watch replays of him 24/7.

Bit more consistency and he is an 8x brownlow medalist

Dry Rot
17-01-2020, 12:18 AM
If Bont is able to take his game to the next level then I’m going to have to quit my job to watch replays of him 24/7.

Bit more consistency and he is an 8x brownlow medalist

And more accurate goal kicking.

AshMac
17-01-2020, 08:48 AM
And more accurate goal kicking.

Yeh - probably the main reason he didn’t poll 3 votes in a couple more games last year

Eastdog
17-01-2020, 03:16 PM

They were all fantastic in 2019 and I expect it to continue into 2020 coupled even greater efficiency in the forward line.

Mofra
20-01-2020, 02:58 PM
Dunks starts games off well - perhaps moreso than our other mids. He had a 15 disposal, 5 tackle 1 goal 1st quarter towards the back end of the year didn't he?

bulldogtragic
20-01-2020, 03:03 PM
Dunks starts games off well - perhaps moreso than our other mids. He had a 15 disposal, 5 tackle 1 goal 1st quarter towards the back end of the year didn't he?

Melbourne I think it was.