PDA

View Full Version : Billy Gowers (BG) You both rule AND suck

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
24-03-2019, 12:52 AM
We're probably best just setting up a designated Billy Gowers (BG) thread for the thing he does well and the things he does that is puke-worthy.

BG.. You've got the strut, manouvres of a bird that is well pleased with the feathers it has to display. TICK..
You find a way of influencing play...TICK.... allowing you further opportunity to spread your feathery finery........
And yet you also somehow find a way, that is almost scientifically impossible to shit on that feathery display...ensuring anger from your watching supporters.
And then, when we're ready to deny you 3 times, renounce you, you bob up and do the thing required...

Has there ever been such a frustrating/inspiring Bulldog?

Who else has made us both happy and angered us in equal measure?

merantau
24-03-2019, 01:18 AM
Come on down Matt Suckling! Agree with Billy G. He's a mecurial talent with a propensity for shooting himself in the foot.
Matthew Suckling should just roost the ball into the next suburb every time he gets it.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
24-03-2019, 01:21 AM
So, Billy was paid a mark that was clearly not a mark. AND he kicked the ensuing goal.
Now, I say, suck it football community; We've copped worse, and over decades.
That is it. not a question. A statement.

bornadog
24-03-2019, 01:21 AM
Macrae - once more refusing to take a shot at goal, and when he finally tried to in the last quarter it was a short kick that went straight to the Swans.

Twodogs
24-03-2019, 10:44 AM
I think if you looked Mercurial up in the dictionary it could easily get away with just putting a picture of Billy Gower's there.

EasternWest
24-03-2019, 11:41 AM
Macrae - once more refusing to take a shot at goal, and when he finally tried to in the last quarter it was a short kick that went straight to the Swans.

If we're going to criticise others, how about Bontempelli double grabbing a routine mark late in the game to lose it out of bounds, right when we needed some stability.

If it's not clear already, I am being sarcastic.

bornadog
24-03-2019, 03:39 PM
If we're going to criticise others, how about Bontempelli double grabbing a routine mark late in the game to lose it out of bounds, right when we needed some stability.

That was a mark, or at least a free kick. You can't push a player like that in a marking contest - he was pushed across the line. Maybe a bump and pretending you are going for a mark, but a blatant push.

I thought Macrae made big strides with his kicking last year, but last night he went back to old habits.

EasternWest
24-03-2019, 04:19 PM
That was a mark, or at least a free kick. You can't push a player like that in a marking contest - he was pushed across the line. Maybe a bump and pretending you are going for a mark, but a blatant push.

I'm surprised I received a serious reply.

Of course it was a mark. I was being facetious.

BornInDroopSt'54
24-03-2019, 04:27 PM

That boundary umpire was deluded, dyslexic. He first signalled touched, out of bounds. Then he said it was a double grab with the second being over the line. He was so focused on the ball being touched over the line he did not consider the ball had been marked already which it cleafly had been. Total idiot needs to be retrained. The field umpire backed him although he must have had big doubts.

EasternWest
24-03-2019, 05:01 PM
That boundary umpire was deluded, dyslexic. He first signalled touched, out of bounds. Then he said it was a double grab with the second being over the line. He was so focused on the ball being touched over the line he did not consider the ball had been marked already which it cleafly had been. Total idiot needs to be retrained. The field umpire backed him although he must have had big doubts.

Which I don't get - the field umpire had already called a mark and should have backed himself in.

bornadog
24-03-2019, 05:16 PM
I'm surprised I received a serious reply.

Of course it was a mark. I was being facetious.

Sorry for being serious :D

EasternWest
24-03-2019, 05:20 PM
Sorry for being serious :D

I expect better from you....

Ghost Dog
24-03-2019, 06:13 PM
This thread is a bit harsh. He's just a kid. Who doesn't have flaws in their game anyway? He'll develop in sure. At least he gives it all.

azabob
24-03-2019, 06:21 PM
This thread is a bit harsh. He's just a kid. Who doesn't have flaws in their game anyway? He'll develop in sure. At least he gives it all.

Plus 1. I don’t like the thread title even if it is in jest (I assume it is).

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
24-03-2019, 06:46 PM
Plus 1. I don’t like the thread title even if it is in jest (I assume it is).

You assumed correct.
All I was trying to convey was that Gowers is likely going to be that guy who both performs the sublime and quite likely to also provide the ridiculous. Kick the one from the boundary or try and dribble one through 4 or 5 defenders.

hujsh
24-03-2019, 06:46 PM

He's 22 so the kid excuse has a very short lifespan by this point.

I think it's appropriate. He does some poor and selfish things, messes up simple opportunities but also pulls things out of no where and creates chances that weren't there.

He does indeed both rule and suck.

Ghost Dog
24-03-2019, 07:44 PM
I must say he needs a new barber. With so many good players at our club, no doubt the boys will put the heat on him to lift. Lift BG.

Mofra
24-03-2019, 09:49 PM
He kicks goals, I like Billy. Genuine goal sense and a strut is a positive on a list that has a lot of 'nice' guys on it.

soupman
24-03-2019, 10:52 PM
Just have to treat Gowers as a bit of fun.

He'll do some good things, he'll do some bad things, but it will average out to be a plus and it will be great fun along the way.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
25-03-2019, 10:30 AM
Just have to treat Gowers as a bit of fun.

He'll do some good things, he'll do some bad things, but it will average out to be a plus and it will be great fun along the way.

I agree.
It's never going to be a dull moment with Billy. He appears to be a heart & soul player too.

Bulldog4life
25-03-2019, 03:03 PM
Another 2 goals from Billy. What we need.

Hotdog60
25-03-2019, 07:51 PM
If he can average 2 goals a game I think we would all be happy with that.
Could you put Hunter under a simular title?

ledge
25-03-2019, 08:11 PM
He is the replacement to Stringer and if you compare the two they are very similar in doing the amazing but we got the better deal as Billy won’t die not trying, he is fit,he wants to be successful and is fully committed, I think if we looked at stats since the Stringer move , Gowers would be ahead in everything.
Not a bad deal when Billy came as cheap as chips.
I don’t regret the clubs decision at all.
More to spend in the cap and a better consistent player.

FrediKanoute
25-03-2019, 09:20 PM
He kicks goals, I like Billy. Genuine goal sense and a strut is a positive on a list that has a lot of 'nice' guys on it.

He also misses sitters. I like Billy. I like the mecurial x-factor about him, BUT, he is the type of player that will lose you a GF through errant kicking as much as win you one with a bit of play that is breathtaking.

Vred
25-03-2019, 11:35 PM
He is the replacement to Stringer and if you compare the two they are very similar in doing the amazing but we got the better deal as Billy won’t die not trying, he is fit,he wants to be successful and is fully committed, I think if we looked at stats since the Stringer move , Gowers would be ahead in everything.

This I agree with. I'd take Gowers over Stringer any day, specially after watching the Ess vs GWS game from the weekend. Gowers will continue to grow, and he has great swagger about him.

Frustrating at times, sure, but I think we all feel that with how the dogs are up forward.

AshMac
26-03-2019, 09:40 AM

Couldn’t agree more. Love him but gee it’s frustrating when he has 2 acres of space, is 35m out in front and he chips it across his body to a contest.

Imagine if he was a regular goal scoring mid.

Mitcha
26-03-2019, 10:12 AM
Makes the ridiculously hard look easy but can also make the easy look ridiculously hard. Likes to try and sneak out the back for the cheapies but looks a better player leading up to the ball carrier. Stringer Version 2 (just costing us a little less).

GVGjr
26-03-2019, 11:25 AM
Makes the ridiculously hard look easy but can also make the easy look ridiculously hard. Likes to try and sneak out the back for the cheapies but looks a better player leading up to the ball carrier. Stringer Version 2 (just costing us a little less).

From memory he played mainly as a defender in his TAC days and I wonder if that might be his more natural position.

BornInDroopSt'54
27-03-2019, 11:27 AM
If he can average 2 goals a game I think we would all be happy with that.
Could you put Hunter under a simular title?

Hunter is great, won the B&F last year but his kicking can be poor even without pressure. Hope he gets on top of it.

Mofra
27-03-2019, 11:51 AM
From memory he played mainly as a defender in his TAC days and I wonder if that might be his more natural position.
He was delisted by Carlton after playing as a defender.
We lack goal sense as a team, anyone with real goal sense needs to be played forward.

We're also stacked for medium defenders.

Happy Days
27-03-2019, 12:07 PM

I agree with the thrust of what you're saying but is this really a good litmus test?

lemmon
27-03-2019, 12:11 PM

The stats are pretty tight last year, but Stringer shades Gowers across the board. Being in a better side definitely helped Jake.

From the same number of games, Stringer:
-Had 37 more touches
-Kicked 30 goals to Gowers' 26
-Laid 13 more tackles
-Had 6 more goal assists
-Gave away 10 less free kicks and won 5 more than Billy
-They took the same number of marks inside fifty, but Stringer was better around the footy, winning 25 more clearances.

Stringer was obviously in the better side and has played nearly 100 more games at AFL level. It'll be very interesting watching their careers progress – the stats are remarkably similar.

bornadog
27-03-2019, 01:11 PM
If Billy kicks two goals a week, I am sure we will all be more than happy.

GVGjr
27-03-2019, 07:43 PM
We lack goal sense as a team, anyone with real goal sense needs to be played forward.

We're also stacked for medium defenders.

For sure and yes we have an abundance of defenders.

comrade
01-04-2019, 05:52 PM
Lots of love for Billy this week.

whythelongface
02-04-2019, 04:13 PM
Agree comrade. Thought he was really good. His kicking for goal has improved as well. I like the unpredictability of Billy - this translates to the opposition not knowing what to expect from him. He is very hard to match up against as he can lead as well as take pack marks. He really does provide a bit of X-factor that every team needs.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
02-04-2019, 04:43 PM
Lots of love for Billy this week.

Definitely we got Awesome Billy on the weekend.
His goal-kicking in particular looked solid.

Testekill
03-04-2019, 11:34 AM
Agree comrade. Thought he was really good. His kicking for goal has improved as well. I like the unpredictability of Billy - this translates to the opposition not knowing what to expect from him. He is very hard to match up against as he can lead as well as take pack marks. He really does provide a bit of X-factor that every team needs.

He plays with confidence which is extremely important for a forward and especially for one with a lot of X-factor since they need to back themselves to get it done.

bornadog
03-04-2019, 11:45 AM
We need Billy to apply more pressure in the forward line. He had zero tackles on the weekend, compared with Naughton's 4 and Mclean's and Dickson 4 each.

His kicking was better this week and hopefully he continues it.

Rocket Science
03-04-2019, 02:02 PM
He's still pretty raw and evidently learning how to be useful when he doesn't have the pill.

He's got a little of that Clay Smith / Jack Redpath knack for tackling to hurt so if he can become another effective hunter inside the forward arc we'll be much better for it.

merantau
03-04-2019, 05:55 PM
I'm a BG fan as long as he converts his opportunities or makes opps for others to convert - preferably BOTH. If not I will go off him pretty quickly. A forward's job is to kick goals, not burn his team mates. That being said BG does provide physical presence which is always handy in a forward line mix.

bulldogtragic
03-04-2019, 11:16 PM
That last quarter is one of my favourites, ever. I’ve watched it a few times, watching it again. Gowers got in the head of Cicily big time. Time and time again Gowers was giving a 100% arm swing as if to punch/round arm Cicily in the guts, but would pull back and not make contact. And getting in his face and chirping at him... yada, yada, yada... Cicily gives a round arm free to Schache, and chirps the umpire giving Gowers a goal.

I hope Cicily is charging Gowers rent, because Gowers lives in his head.

bulldogtragic
04-04-2019, 06:56 PM
Now career at:

22 Games
31 Goals
23 Behinds

10 Goals Assists
59 Inside 50's

Av. 12.5 touches, 4 marks, 2 tackles

ledge
04-04-2019, 07:05 PM
When you compare him with Stringer , which he is pretty much the replacement , we get a bloke who is probably paid 300,000 a year less and I believe has more heart and tank than Stringer will get to. We are the winner.
I wonder if the media would admit that Essendon didn’t win the deal, it wasn’t the greatest get of all time as they raved on about.
I know who I would take with the choice . Our club made a great decision all round.

hujsh
04-04-2019, 07:10 PM
When you compare him with Stringer , which he is pretty much the replacement , we get a bloke who is probably paid 300,000 a year less and I believe has more heart and tank than Stringer will get to. We are the winner.
I wonder if the media would admit that Essendon didn’t win the deal, it wasn’t the greatest get of all time as they raved on about.
I know who I would take with the choice . Our club made a great decision all round.

While it didn't always come off I thought Stringer looked to be one of the few with the will or capacity to try and change the game against the Saints last week. He won't be the fantastic mid they sold him as at the time but he doesn't look like he's phoning it in either.

ledge
04-04-2019, 09:27 PM
While it didn't always come off I thought Stringer looked to be one of the few with the will or capacity to try and change the game against the Saints last week. He won't be the fantastic mid they sold him as at the time but he doesn't look like he's phoning it in either.

He was the best forward they had last week but the return was 1 goal and some really stupid decisions like a banana that should have been a straight kick, he got a lot more of the ball than Billy as well but for possession, disposal and result Billy’s was a better return by a mile.
I would take Billy’s team work , stick to the basics and not be a lair in front of Stringer anytime , plus as I said the 300,000? saved in the salary cap a year.
Stringer is a burst player about 3 times a game and stuffs up 2 of them.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
07-04-2019, 08:12 PM
We had good Billy last week... bad Billy this week.
He kicked poorly, and he made poor decisions that just made me tear the remaining few strands of hair from my head.
Lets hope good Billy returns quickly...we have the Friday Night Lights against the Pies and I'd hate for him to serve up a repeat of what he gave us today.
At least his hands were still strong though today.

lemmon
07-04-2019, 08:25 PM
I wouldn't mind so much if he put in without the footy. There's no reason he shouldn't be tackling in the role he plays...he's laid 3 for the season.

For comparison, Stringer laid 6 on Friday night and Dickson has 10 for the year.

I'd be sending him back to Footscray.

SonofScray
07-04-2019, 08:30 PM
Silly Billy.

Wheel around and kick a goal that would feature in The Moment Thread..... OR
Turn it over, after wheeling this way and that.

That one stunk.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
07-04-2019, 08:36 PM
I wouldn't mind so much if he put in without the footy. There's no reason he shouldn't be tackling in the role he plays...he's laid 3 for the season.

For comparison, Stringer laid 6 on Friday night and Dickson has 10 for the year.

I'd be sending him back to Footscray.

Its a good point you make. We should absolutely be expecting Billy to contribute defensively. 3 tackles in 3 weeks is not good enough.

Topdog
08-04-2019, 12:36 PM
Hope that miss doesnt dent his confidence.

bornadog
08-04-2019, 01:18 PM
Hope that miss doesnt dent his confidence.

That should have gone through the centre, or at least a little closer than where he kicked it. Not good enough at AFL level.

AshMac
08-04-2019, 07:06 PM
What was he doing taking the full 30 seconds to take that final kick? He knew there was 1 min to go. Wheel around or run back and prep faster.

A goal we’re drawn, a point we have a chance to turnover the kick in.

Happy Days
08-04-2019, 07:13 PM
Gowers sucks I had this first.

FrediKanoute
08-04-2019, 07:30 PM
That should have gone through the centre, or at least a little closer than where he kicked it. Not good enough at AFL level.

But that is Billy Gowers to a tee. He is the last person I would want with the ball in his hands in a situation like that. As a set shot for goal he is 50-50. That said. great mark under pressure and that's the positive you take from the play.

MrMahatma
08-04-2019, 09:06 PM
But that is Billy Gowers to a tee. He is the last person I would want with the ball in his hands in a situation like that. As a set shot for goal he is 50-50. That said. great mark under pressure and that's the positive you take from the play.
Last person with a long list of close seconds...

macca
09-04-2019, 12:41 AM
Hopefjlly he learns lessons from this , retrospects and becomes a better player . I still have faith he comes good.

ledge
11-04-2019, 05:51 PM

And Dunkley ,Bonts 3 misses don’t count ? Dicksons slowness to get rid of the ball. They were nowhere near good enough at AFL level either , just because his kick was the last chance don’t forget the 30 other chances we had to find forwards or when we did they missed easy shots.
Heaps of other players at fault near goal with easier chances.

SonofScray
05-05-2019, 09:31 AM
Bit of press for Gowers throwing his head back to strike Grimes who seemed to have him in a chicken wing, off the ball, on his back for an extended period of time. Why the umpire didn't pay a free and intervene I don't know. Ran over, looked, ran away.

Quintessential Billy v Tigers. Teases with some good stuff, gets a Joe the goose, makes inexplicable errors and over cooks things trying to get involved. At least this week he went to the ball and tried to compete in both phases of the game.

Hotdog60
05-05-2019, 09:37 AM
It was a very weak effort on the wing. On that passage alone I would consider him having a run in the two's.

soupman
05-05-2019, 10:00 AM
Gowers best game of the year so far (not really saying much tough) and he was finally fun again, after too many weeks of just being plain frustrating.

Still had many very annoying aspects of his game on display (set shot kicking, his need to gravitate to a position behind his man, the obvious push in the back), but his positives were also good and he did a good job on Grimes who was Richmonds only competent defender.

EasternWest
05-05-2019, 10:02 AM
Bit of press for Gowers throwing his head back to strike Grimes who seemed to have him in a chicken wing, off the ball, on his back for an extended period of time. Why the umpire didn't pay a free and intervene I don't know. Ran over, looked, ran away.

Am I taking crazy pills? Am I the only one that saw Gowers had Grimes' arm and was holding it in? Gowers could have let him go any time.

That was a nothing incident and nothing should come of it for either player.

Go_Dogs
05-05-2019, 10:16 AM
Gowers is such a polarising figure. One week soon he'll kick a bag, then revert back to his 10 touch and joe the goose goal efforts. What I did like though was he attacked and flew at the ball a few times and was a presence. It won't click every week, but if your opponent and other defenders know you're there and are going to make them earn it, it helps.

Grantysghost
05-05-2019, 11:11 AM
Am I taking crazy pills? Am I the only one that saw Gowers had Grimes' arm and was holding it in? Gowers could have let him go any time.

Gowers was definitely holding Grimes and trying to milk something. I'm a big fan of Billy he brings something to every game, I'm not against vanilla types but love the engimatic nature of Gowers. I've said it before on here also, if you get a chance to talk to him do it. He's a genuine guy and as enthusiastic to talk to fans as he is to bleed for the red white and blue.

westbulldog
05-05-2019, 11:31 AM
Gowers is enthusiastic and gives a physical presence forward which I like, but a few more non-existent second efforts like the one last night won't do him any favours.

DOG GOD
05-05-2019, 11:48 AM
Gowers is enthusiastic and gives a physical presence forward which I like, but a few more non-existent second efforts like the one last night won't do him any favours.

Agree. He has “Stringer” written all over him in the fact he doesn’t like the second efforts, give away stupid free kicks to the detriment of the team. I guess he has that unpredictable approach which would tear the hair out of coaches heads. I’d love to see him get more committed to his craft and become that ideal foil for the likes of Naughton and Schache etc.

ledge
05-05-2019, 12:36 PM
Agree. He has “Stringer” written all over him in the fact he doesn’t like the second efforts, give away stupid free kicks to the detriment of the team. I guess he has that unpredictable approach which would tear the hair out of coaches heads. I’d love to see him get more committed to his craft and become that ideal foil for the likes of Naughton and Schache etc.

He was a great decoy for Naughton last night , he got in the oppositions ears he put them off and they were way to scared to leave him alone in case he took over from Naughton.
Yes he does some silly things but he isn’t one to be taken lightly.

GVGjr
05-05-2019, 12:50 PM
I think we have to stick with Gowers as he does hit the scoreboard enough. We just need to accept that he will both frustrate and excite us from time to time.

Happy Days
05-05-2019, 12:50 PM
He was a great decoy for Naughton last night , he got in the oppositions ears he put them off and they were way to scared to leave him alone in case he took over from Naughton.
Yes he does some silly things but he isn’t one to be taken lightly.

What Naughton did last night had absolutely nothing to do with Gowers.

I've been saying this every week for 18 months but he's a bad footballer and we will be better when he isn't playing.

comrade
05-05-2019, 12:57 PM

I've been saying this every week for 18 months but he's a bad footballer and we will be better when he isn't playing.

Haha, weird that anyone would want to dilute Naughton’s performance. You don’t take 9 contested marks because of a decoy.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
05-05-2019, 01:22 PM
Haha, weird that anyone would want to dilute Naughton’s performance. You don’t take 9 contested marks because of a decoy.

No. But Beveridge even acknowledged in the presser that Gowers taking their best defender in Grimes help the team structure. It's not denying Naughton's efforts by also acknowledging the other variables in our forward line that helped him deliver.
Gowers has a role to play, and that doesn't mean he gets a free ride. He has obvious flaws to his game that he needs to improve. But for me there is something about him that adds to our side. His team mates clearly love him out on the field.

comrade
05-05-2019, 01:36 PM
No. But Beveridge even acknowledged in the presser that Gowers taking their best defender in Grimes help the team structure. It's not denying Naughton's efforts by also acknowledging the other variables in our forward line that helped him deliver.
Gowers has a role to play, and that doesn't mean he gets a free ride. He has obvious flaws to his game that he needs to improve. But for me there is something about him that adds to our side. His team mates clearly love him out on the field.

Given Naughton’s dominance, why would Hardwick waste their best defender on Gowers? Grimes just wasn’t big enough to be an option for Naughton, hence why Balta got the gig so Grimes had to go to someone.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
05-05-2019, 01:38 PM
Given Naughton’s dominance, why would Hardwick waste their best defender on Gowers? Grimes just wasn’t big enough to be an option for Naughton, hence why Balta got the gig so Grimes had to go to someone.

I don't know. Maybe Bevo should send him a thank you card.

SonofScray
05-05-2019, 01:48 PM

That's an accurate read of it. The incident went for a fair stretch, Gowers at the back end was trying to milk a free, got frustrated and lashed out.

hujsh
05-05-2019, 01:50 PM

Nope not just you. I said the same thing in another thread.

EasternWest
05-05-2019, 02:19 PM
Nope not just you. I said the same thing in another thread.

Thanks, I thought I was going mad.

I get the "get off my boy" mentality, but geez that was clear cut.

Bulldog4life
05-05-2019, 02:31 PM

Yet he is 2nd on our goal kicking. Go figure.

Mofra
05-05-2019, 02:39 PM
That's the rub. For all his frustration he still kicks goals in a side bereft of natural goal kicking options.

Right now there is nobody at the lower level who plays a similar way putting their hand up for selection. Our most consistent VFL player this year has been Lipinski playing inside mid.

Rocket Science
05-05-2019, 03:49 PM
I get he's playing a decoy/foil role of sorts so can't purely be measured in terms of statistical output but he's our current posterboy for dumb dumb DUMB acts that snuff out chances and momentum.

We were furiously hard at it last night but mostly SMART in the process.

Fall into line Billy or go sit in the bloody corner.

hujsh
05-05-2019, 04:36 PM
See the 13 minute mark of the Geelong Essendon game. Since we tend to compare Gowers and Stringer watch Stringers man drift easily in front of the otherwise 50/50 contest and take a mark. Compare that to the 5:30 mark of the below clip.

Gowers is doing some dumb things but he is also doing some smart things that are unselfish and easy to miss.

Billy Gowers you both rule and suck

https://youtu.be/cYdcTSms5IY

Happy Days
05-05-2019, 04:43 PM
See the last 30 seconds of the Essendon Geelong game and watch Stringer kick a goal from 60m out after running 20m in about 3 seconds. There is no comparison.

Grantysghost
05-05-2019, 05:26 PM

And won it last year.

hujsh
05-05-2019, 05:41 PM
See the last 30 seconds of the Essendon Geelong game and watch Stringer kick a goal from 60m out after running 20m in about 3 seconds. There is no comparison.

That's not the point. I don't intend to claim Gowers is as talented as Stringer, I'm trying to highlight that he does do some things he doesn't get credit for that are actually unselfish or goes against the perception of him. Things other players don't always do.

That said I don't miss the Stringer that played for us in 2017. I also don't particularly want someone of his character on our list. But lets not turn this into a rehash of previous Stringer threads. That's not what I wanted or what this thread is about.

GVGjr
05-05-2019, 06:33 PM
That's not the point. I don't intend to claim Gowers is as talented as Stringer, I'm trying to highlight that he does do some things he doesn't get credit for that are actually unselfish or goes against the perception of him. Things other players don't always do.

That said I don't miss the Stringer that played for us in 2017. I also don't particularly want someone of his character on our list. But lets not turn this into a rehash of previous Stringer threads. That's not what I wanted or what this thread is about.

I think it's a reasonable comparison albeit Gowers isn't as talented and more importantly he isn't as obnoxious as Stringer.
If Gowers tidies up a few over enthusiastic errors we have a more than decent player on our list.

Twodogs
05-05-2019, 08:00 PM
See the 13 minute mark of the Geelong Essendon game. Since we tend to compare Gowers and Stringer watch Stringers man drift easily in front of the otherwise 50/50 contest and take a mark. Compare that to the 5:30 mark of the below clip.

Gowers is doing some dumb things but he is also doing some smart things that are unselfish and easy to miss.

Billy Gowers you both rule and suck

https://youtu.be/cYdcTSms5IY

I don't understand. The only thing I see Billy do at 5.30 is stand and watch the Bont take a mark. He doesn't block or shepherd or make an option.

Am I missing something? (Seriously)

soupman
05-05-2019, 08:32 PM
I don't understand. The only thing I see Billy do at 5.30 is stand and watch the Bont take a mark. He doesn't block or shepherd or make an option.

Gowers runs across to block Balta from having an effect on the marking contest.

FrediKanoute
05-05-2019, 08:37 PM
Gowers runs across to block Balta from having an effect on the marking contest.

I thought for a moment that he was going to give away a free for shepherding. It was good play.

hujsh
05-05-2019, 08:56 PM

He runs into the road of 38 so he can't quire reach the Bont. It's subtle work but deliberate.

Happy Days
05-05-2019, 09:24 PM
Geez we're setting a low bar here.

MrMahatma
05-05-2019, 10:53 PM
Geez we're setting a low bar here.

I agree.

F50 pressure is an issue, and Gowers isn’t helping enough.

I can see his strengths, but he is a poor set shot, doesn’t have enough second efforts and also does dumb things!

If he’s the answer, what the heck is the question?

Bulldog4life
05-05-2019, 11:12 PM
I agree.

F50 pressure is an issue, and Gowers isn’t helping enough.

I can see his strengths, but he is a poor set shot, doesn’t have enough second efforts and also does dumb things!

If he’s the answer, what the heck is the question?

The question is. Name a Western Bulldogs forward who kicks goals regularly.

bornadog
20-05-2020, 12:57 PM
Can Billy bounce back and get into the best 22 or is his playing days over as a senior member.

Billy is still only 23 years old.

Should he reinvent himself and aim for a different role, what would that be?

As a reminder some highlights from 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ve_9J7Dt3ys

comrade
20-05-2020, 01:22 PM
Some good highlights in that vid. Unfortunately a lowlights video would be just as long (or longer...).

Too big a gap between his best and worst and not sure how he's going to bridge that gap in a season like 2020.