PDA

View Full Version : Backline matchups in Darwin

Bulldog Revolution
12-02-2008, 09:44 AM
Anyone want to have a crack at who will match up on the North forwards?

Thompson, Edwards, Grant, Petrie,

I am presuming Tommy Williams will not be ready to go and so Lake and McDougall will take the talls. Any chance of OShea getting a run?

Go_Dogs
12-02-2008, 10:01 AM
Petrie

Well, whoever plays on Petrie better come prepared. He's absolutely killed us recently.

Lake on Thompson, McDougall on Petrie.

Morris will most likely play on Grant I suspect, or perhaps even Gilbee who may try to run off him. Not sure about Edwards.

westdog54
12-02-2008, 02:25 PM
Anyone want to have a crack at who will match up on the North forwards?

Thompson, Edwards, Grant, Petrie,

I am presuming Tommy Williams will not be ready to go and so Lake and McDougall will take the talls. Any chance of OShea getting a run?

Lake on Thompson

Morris on Edwards

Gilbee on Grant

This one might be left-field, but Everitt on Petrie?

The Coon Dog
12-02-2008, 02:51 PM
This one might be left-field, but Everitt on Petrie?

I'd prefer McDougall on Petrie.

No mention of Corey Jones? He's one to watch, perhaps Hargrave.

Go_Dogs
12-02-2008, 02:56 PM
Good point TCD, Jones definitely flies under the radar a bit but could easily create a bit of a headache for us.

I'd be quite keen to see a younger bloke, perhaps Addison have a bit of a run on one of their more senior small forwards.

Bulldog Revolution
12-02-2008, 04:28 PM
Good point TCD, Jones definitely flies under the radar a bit but could easily create a bit of a headache for us.

I'd be quite keen to see a younger bloke, perhaps Addison have a bit of a run on one of their more senior small forwards.

So does that mean you want to see Addison go to Grant

Who is McDougall a better matchup on Thompson or Petrie

Is Jones fully fit and ready to go?

Hargraves has played on him before, but perhaps Everitt is an option also

Go_Dogs
12-02-2008, 04:35 PM
So does that mean you want to see Addison go to Grant

Hmm, I didn't really have anyone in particular in mind when I suggested it, I just feel it's a good time of year to throw him in the deep end a bit and see how he responds.

By most reports he has done well over the pre-season and it would be a good opportunity for him to see how a couple of the better small forwards go about their business.

Perhaps even Harvey if Harvey plays forward, which he could well do on Friday for an extended period.

Cyberdoggie
12-02-2008, 04:59 PM

good point raised,

i really think eade will use this to test a new backline setup.

gone is mcmahon, and williams is injured.

i think addison will be groomed for that other running defender role left by mcmahon.
I believe we now have other options for talls so hargrave will get moved up the ground.
He has shown that he can kick goals from outside 50 and he's good defender but lacks size and consistency, also gives away a lot of free kicks. I've got a feeling we'll use him as a winger/tagger at times this year.

This will give doogs, williams, morris and lake to have the tall defender positions, and gilbee, griffen and addison working the running creative roles.

Not sure if wight will play down back, they seem to be trialling him at chf at the moment.

if the above players work well in defence i can easilly see hargrave playing a different role

dogman
12-02-2008, 05:04 PM
How about Tim Callan, we got him as a defender and has trained well over summer. He can have a crack at Jones or Grant. If Wight or Everrit go up forward then you wouldn't think that Petrie would play forward. There is also talk the Thompson would not play if there is heavy rain, which is predicted.

Cyberdoggie
12-02-2008, 05:21 PM
How about Tim Callan, we got him as a defender and has trained well over summer. He can have a crack at Jones or Grant. If Wight or Everrit go up forward then you wouldn't think that Petrie would play forward. There is also talk the Thompson would not play if there is heavy rain, which is predicted.

oh yeah i forgot about everitt as well.

Through him in to the tall defender list, that makes it really hard to pick shaggy.

tim (micky conlan) callan seems to be a jose romero type tagger.

Go_Dogs
12-02-2008, 06:35 PM
Good call re: Callan dogman.

Do people get the impression he won't spend as much time in defence as we initially believed?

GVGjr
12-02-2008, 06:39 PM
Good call re: Callan dogman.

Do people get the impression he won't spend as much time in defence as we initially believed?

I'm not sure that he will spend as much time on the field as what some seem to think.

Go_Dogs
12-02-2008, 06:57 PM
I'm not sure that he will spend as much time on the field as what some seem to think.

Interesting, I take it you see him more as a depth player, than someone who will make a difference this season.

hujsh
12-02-2008, 07:07 PM
Interesting, I take it you see him more as a depth player, than someone who will make a difference this season.

If you ask him he won't say that. If he wanted to be a depth player he had the perfect role. I think he could be very useful.

GVGjr
12-02-2008, 08:11 PM

Probably a bit more than a depth player but I think some people had him penciled in as an 18 to 20 game plus player for us and I just don't see it.

Mofra
12-02-2008, 11:03 PM
Would expect Petrie to play back, as that is where he has done most of his pre-season apprently.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Ray on a HBF with Eagle also getting some time back. Doogs as CHB with Skinny to get whichever young 3rd tall the Roos play. If Roos rest a ruckman forward (Hale & McIntosh can be a handful) Wight could take them, and then move forward as per the intra-club when neither are there.

Shaggy may not play back the whole game, might get some time on the wing.

Bulldog Revolution
12-02-2008, 11:38 PM
Probably a bit more than a depth player but I think some people had him penciled in as an 18 to 20 game plus player for us and I just don't see it.

Whilst we had a few injuries last year if that isn't the case in 2008 then I just dont think ours will be the easiest side to get a game in.

The coaches have already uttered that they dont expect that many debutants and that the development opportunities to go to our 2nd and 3rd year players. Guys like Higgins, Addison, Everitt, Harbrow etc will be keen to grab more prominent roles in the team

Addison is very much someone Callan will have to beat out for a spot.

Mantis
13-02-2008, 08:47 AM
From reports it is going to belt down rain for the entire game so I don't think there will be much need for tall forwards or even much of a game plan, just get the thing moving our way.

Bulldog Revolution
13-02-2008, 09:07 AM
From reports it is going to belt down rain for the entire game so I don't think there will be much need for tall forwards or even much of a game plan, just get the thing moving our way.

In some ways that is disappointing as it makes the attempt to play a taller team and blood Minson a bit harder

Will it make Eade very tempted to go back to last years small set up?

Do we want him to do that if it gets us a win?

Mantis
13-02-2008, 10:32 AM
In some ways that is disappointing as it makes the attempt to play a taller team and blood Minson a bit harder

Will it make Eade very tempted to go back to last years small set up?

Do we want him to do that if it gets us a win?

Minson isn't playing anyway.

I just think we have to adapt to the conditions. If it's pissing rain there is no use playing 3 tall forwards as the ball is going to be on the ground. We should probably play one tall forward, maybe Wight and then maybe a couple of tallish forwards in Welsh and Hahn and rotate a bunch of smalls.

The ball is going to be on the ground so we need to pick players who are comfortable when the ball is there.

Go_Dogs
13-02-2008, 11:10 AM
Aker would be licking his lips at the possibility of rain.

hujsh
13-02-2008, 11:29 AM
Aker would be licking his lips at the possibility of rain.

Who else would be with him doing the rain dance i wonder?