PDA

View Full Version : So how do we fix this?

soupman
21-04-2019, 08:16 PM
Seeing as our coaches seem incapable of considering a change to their questionable selection, strategy and general coaching what changes do you see us having to make if we want to improve?

I'll start it off with:

Play Dunkley in the midfield, or not at all.

In 2016 Dunkley showed he could be a big bodied target up forward with haphazard goalkicking, decent pressure and an ability to help out with midfield rotations. Since then he has been largely ineffective as a forward, with highlights marred by woeful set shot kicking and plodding ground ball work in the forward 50. He did seem to turn a corner at the end of 2018 though, with a role in the midfield allowing him to win the contested ball, free up Bont and help limit the impact of opposition ball winners. This season however he is back to playing almost exclusively as a forward, with unimpressive results.

We need to either play him as the midfielder he was late last season or drop him. He is a liability as a forward. He is Gowers without the ability to threaten aerially. Today was a perfect opportunity to play him against a strong contested ball midfield and boasted Cripps who is the player Dunkley should be trying to stop and work off of. Instead he was a non-factor.

1eyedog
21-04-2019, 08:54 PM
He played midfield in he second half. He was ineffective.

We can start by going back to two key tall targets. One of Gowers, Lloyd and Dicko need to go we have too many back flankers and too many mid forwards. We seem obsessed with the long ball in and struggle to lower our eyes so just play Schache and Naughton forward until Boyd is ready.

Our issues are between the ears and is up to the coaching staff to work out what the blockage is.

angelopetraglia
21-04-2019, 09:03 PM
1) Get the best goal kicking coach down at our club (and another sports psychologist)
2) Play a “proper” second ruck option to support English
3) Play two genuine tall forwards, not let a skinny 19 year old carry all the load. Look at Carlton today.
4) Don’t go out of our way to play the youngest team every week. We should have played some more mature bodies today.
5) Play Toby in the middle. He gives us something different.

bulldogtragic
21-04-2019, 09:19 PM
Agree on Toby. He was a gun mid last year. Now he's an average HFF occasional pinch hitting mid.

You can say that about Libba, Dunkley & Macrae today.

If we don't have enough good forwards, why didn't we address that more thoroughly at the trade table or draft? Playing players proven of being elite midfielders in the forwardline is doing nothing for the midfield or the forwardline. Bonts can be the only exception, but he's 1.9 plus complete misses this year.

Hotdog60
21-04-2019, 09:25 PM
I wonder how far Ben Cavarra is from returning to playing.
I realise he needs some VFL time but he maybe something we lack up forward.

The Bulldogs Bite
21-04-2019, 09:28 PM
1. Every forward to practice goal kicking under fatigue, every day, regardless of any BS advice from the sport scientists. Not 5 shots either. 50 minimum. These are full time footballers, about time they work on their ultimate craft - you know, kicking.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
21-04-2019, 09:32 PM
At some stage today, the break down of stats showed some horrendous skew of Carlton's score coming from turnovers. I can't remember the exact numbers but it was HUUUUGE. And I'm sure this is not dissimilar to our other losses. I think against Gold Coast it was even more pronounced.
I also recall hearing commentary on one of the reasons why scoring across the league was down. The reason was profferred that 'scores from turnovers' was behind this. That is coaches are loathe to take unnecessary risks going forward and would rather over-possess and flip the ball around uncontested by foot until a less risky opportunity presents. Or rather, an option presents that is less likely to give the opposition a clear opportunity to leverage a turnover into a score.

Now, if this is true. We must look like an opposition coaches Xmas's all come at once. Why?
We regularly bomb the ball in blindly, we're very keen to fire it in, and damn the consequences.
Maybe that's why an inordinate amount of the opposition's score comes from turnovers?

I'm not sure this gets solved quickly. There's a lot of blokes who fit the bill.

SonofScray
21-04-2019, 09:34 PM
1. Sack some Coaches.
2. Address the long running, chronic issue of poor goal kicking.
3. Pick a team abpnd deploy them in a manner that reflects their strengths.

angelopetraglia
21-04-2019, 09:39 PM
Where is the fresh new face on our coaching panel? Where is the IP coming in from other clubs? Why have we been so reluctant to bring in other assistant coaches?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
21-04-2019, 09:45 PM
Where is the fresh new fave on our coaching panel? Where is the IP coming in from other clubs? Why have we been so reluctant to bring in other assistant coaches?

Its a valid question. We've had 2 ordinary seasons, with very similar themes, and we've not sought to address that by bringing in any new coaches from outside.

soupman
21-04-2019, 09:58 PM
Its a valid question. We've had 2 ordinary seasons, with very similar themes, and we've not sought to address that by bringing in any new coaches from outside.

And surely even if you've nailed the last two seasons it's still a good idea to bring in new ideas and experience fairly regularly.

Sure stability is nice but not at the expense of finding new ways to improve or grow as a coaching group and team.

GVGjr
21-04-2019, 10:13 PM
A few minor tweaks can get us back on track. My frustration is around our skills and set shot conversion. We get that right and we are half way there. Bontempelli has just one goal from 10 scoring shots and if we can improve there it will make a difference

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
21-04-2019, 10:22 PM
A few minor tweaks can get us back on track. My frustration is around our skills and set shot conversion. We get that right and we are half way there. Bontempelli has just one goal from 10 scoring shots and if we can improve there it will make a difference

Gary, I've got to hope that as professional football players, the boys are able to compartmentalise much better than we fans.
There are quite a few mental demons from today that could otherwise thwart their ability to pick themselves up.
We didn't just lose, we lost to a side that has been the very definition of a basketcase. A team that had up until today failed to score more than 100 points in a game for over 1050 odd days. A side that had one only 3 games in.....whatever the number.
And we didn't lose, we became a parlour game for them. We had McGovern rocking some Austin Power gags after a goal at one stage.
They broke us.
I really hope that the several hundred thousand dollars these guys get paid, is in part down to their ability to block out and rebound anew next week..
Its a hell of a mountain to climb next week, in Perth.

Rocket Science
22-04-2019, 02:14 AM

Yeah with mucho respect Gary, skills and set shot conversions aren't minor "tweaks", they're fatal, fundamental flaws that routinely cost us results and have too long proven our achilles heel.

If these coaches can't fix it we need to think about coaches that can. Or just accept our lot.

Bumper Bulldogs
22-04-2019, 08:39 AM
We need Peter Gorden to walk down the corridor of Whitten Over grab every coach and staffer out of the office, lock the doors give them an all mighty spray and do t allow the office doors back open until things have turned around.

Would PG accept this at his place of work “Slater & Gorden”. I think not. Well what are you gonna do Peter?

GVGjr
22-04-2019, 10:30 AM
Yeah with mucho respect Gary, skills and set shot conversions aren't minor "tweaks", they're fatal, fundamental flaws that routinely cost us results and have too long proven our achilles heel.

If these coaches can't fix it we need to think about coaches that can. Or just accept our lot.

I don't believe the coaches think it's as broken as it is and as a result they haven't increased the focus. It can't be that hard of a fix.
The other area that concerns me is that Bevo made it know when he arrived he was going to improve our skill level getting players to improve their kicking especially on the opposite foot but I've not see any improvement there

I don't believe these are hard fixes but I do agree with you we either make it a focus or accept that this is they way it will be.

DOG GOD
22-04-2019, 10:39 AM
After a turbulent period St.Kilda had a massive cleanout at the club and got Ratten onboard to lend a hand to a struggling Richardson. 5 games in and Saints are sitting on top of the ladder atm. I know a few on here, me included wanted the dogs to go hard at Ratten to allow assistance to Bevo, especially on game day, but while saints swept house, we kept the boys club together. Looks like the coaches got a 10 year contract after 2016��

Grantysghost
22-04-2019, 10:41 AM
Where is the fresh new face on our coaching panel? Where is the IP coming in from other clubs? Why have we been so reluctant to bring in other assistant coaches?

I don't want to be that guy who knows someone but I do so I am going to be ... He is well known in the industry to look after his mates and doesn't like to be challenged. Eg. Groves the AFLw coach played under Bevo at St Bedes. Hopefully he realises surrounding yourself with yes men isn't all it's cracked to be.

"I don't want any yes-men around me. I want everybody to tell me the truth even if it costs them their job."

Samuel Goldwyn knew.

bornadog
22-04-2019, 10:48 AM
After a turbulent period St.Kilda had a massive cleanout at the club and got Ratten onboard to lend a hand to a struggling Richardson. 5 games in and Saints are sitting on top of the ladder atm. I know a few on here, me included wanted the dogs to go hard at Ratten to allow assistance to Bevo, especially on game day, but while saints swept house, we kept the boys club together. Looks like the coaches got a 10 year contract after 2016��

I have said from day one we should have a senior assistant. Macca needed one as well, but for some reason we have resisted or we couldn't attract anyone.

King - started in 2011 as a ruck coach and has moved to several roles, and is now Senior Assistant.

Corey - started at end of 2013 and Hansen ha been there since end of 2012.

The other coaches Steve Grace - 2017, Gia now VFL, Jordon Russell and Jamie Maddock are development coaches from 2016

So there have been some changes, but we need to look at a new influx from next year, just for new ideas from successful clubs.

Grantysghost
22-04-2019, 10:56 AM
Have any of them been sort out by other clubs or poached ? That may say something. Tigers did the big sweep after 2016 bringing in Caracella, Leppitsch. I'd say the club would be well aware and Grant needs to make some tough calls now.

Bulldog4life
22-04-2019, 01:19 PM

Richmond did the same thing prior to their premiership. Kept Hardwick but all assistant coaches were new. I believe most of our assistant coaches are out of contract this year. But I stand corrected.

1eyedog
22-04-2019, 01:31 PM
I don't believe the coaches think it's as broken as it is and as a result they haven't increased the focus. It can't be that hard of a fix.
The other area that concerns me is that Bevo made it know when he arrived he was going to improve our skill level getting players to improve their kicking especially on the opposite foot but I've not see any improvement there

I don't believe these are hard fixes but I do agree with you we either make it a focus or accept that this is they way it will be.

Why isn't it fixed if it's not hard? It's been a longstanding issue and has cost us games of footy. Given how hard we work to actually get a shot in goal I would have thought this would be one of the most critical things to 'fix' well before now. I think the technique aspect is fixable, the mental side of it not so much. It's been going on too long and has become a cognitive issue for our players now.

Bullies
22-04-2019, 01:56 PM
We had by all accounts one of the best assistant coaches in the business - Monty. He is apparently one of the best tacticians but will also challenge the other coaches which by all accounts is a no no with Bevo. No surprise the back line at Port is doing well this year with Monty.

DOG GOD
22-04-2019, 02:09 PM
I think after our premiership success, the “boys club” was formed. And I don’t care what organision you work in, if your not challegened by fellow employees, mangement etc, then you are destined for complacency.

LostDoggy
22-04-2019, 02:25 PM
Chris Grant OR Bev should be on the phone to David Rath (the architect of Hawthorns elite kicking) and get him to the Dogs (or get his recommendations on the next best person). Thats a long term fix for a long term problem.

Watching Bont go backwards has been terrible. Only a handful of players are reliable set shots and only a few more are reliable field kicks.

Pick some talls with grunt ie not Schache. Pick some runners who can kick. Change the balance away from one paced butchers and mids who cant kick playing fwd. Right now poor old Dunks looks genuinely embarassed lining up for goal.

Play players in their best position or not at all.

mjp
22-04-2019, 02:48 PM
Doesn't David Rath work for the AFL now? Pretty sure after 10 years of life on the treadmill he is done with being involved in a club for a while...

merantau
22-04-2019, 02:49 PM
This result was truly shocking to me. I get the feeling the MC, coaches and players had chalked this down as a win as soon as the final siren sounded after the Pies game. Certainly the selection of two first gamers, which no one on here predicted, was a sign that the MC thought we had this one in the bag.
After our win over Hawthorn I was confident we would have a good year - not any more. Must radically improve our goal kicking and field kicking. Turnover kill us. Missed shots eviscerate us. We are in trouble.

Grantysghost
22-04-2019, 03:22 PM
Can we move our home ground to the G?

Eastdog
22-04-2019, 03:41 PM

Marvel is our home ground now but certainly wouldn’t hurt us to play there more than we do. After all that is where the finals are played. Always good to get MCG experience.

1eyedog
22-04-2019, 04:32 PM

I wish. But you're right our form at Marvel is atrocious. Maybe we can request the roof stays open to simulate a real football ground. I dunno I'm willing to try anything.

Murphy'sLore
22-04-2019, 04:50 PM
I wish. But you're right our form at Marvel is atrocious. Maybe we can request the roof stays open to simulate a real football ground. I dunno I'm willing to try anything.

Didn't work too well when we played the Suns.

1eyedog
22-04-2019, 05:56 PM
Didn't work too well when we played the Suns.

Was it open?

Eastdog
22-04-2019, 06:04 PM
Was it open?

Yep open against the Suns.

Bumper Bulldogs
23-04-2019, 09:36 AM
I’m not sure that changing assistants is the answer. After 12 months we will just develop another club.

That said if we do need to change assistant coaches. Would we just throw a heap of cash at someone like Neil Balm. Or do we take the chance on a Voss or even get back Aker.

You know I seen yesterday that the North CEO has called an urgent meeting and firing a few regards costs. Even if that’s only a show fir the supporters and. Media outlets. At least something from the outside looks to be in motion

Our guys are surprisingly quite

MrMahatma
23-04-2019, 02:11 PM
What’s the on field leadership look like?

I think we’re lacking some leadership, particularly given the change in the runner rule.

DOG GOD
23-04-2019, 04:07 PM
Morris is a huge loss, experience wise, out of our backline, as I’m sure players like Williams and Richards would show a lot more than what they have put out.

Losing Picken has also hurt us in leadership, with Roughy ofcourse.

Twodogs
23-04-2019, 07:59 PM
We need Peter Gorden to walk down the corridor of Whitten Over grab every coach and staffer out of the office, lock the doors give them an all mighty spray and do t allow the office doors back open until things have turned around.

Would PG accept this at his place of work “Slater & Gorden”. I think not. Well what are you gonna do Peter?

Gordon doesn't work at Slater and Gordon and hasn't for a long while. Even the Gordon in the name doesn't refer to him but to one of the original partners who was shot down and killed flying a recon mission over France during WWI so that's well over 100 years ago now.

Peter Gordon has his own law firm now called 'Gordon Legal' and I don't think he would slack standards there.

I’m not sure that changing assistants is the answer. After 12 months we will just develop another club.

That said if we do need to change assistant coaches. Would we just throw a heap of cash at someone like Neil Balm. Or do we take the chance on a Voss or even get back Aker.

You know I seen yesterday that the North CEO has called an urgent meeting and firing a few regards costs. Even if that’s only a show fir the supporters and. Media outlets. At least something from the outside looks to be in motion

Our guys are surprisingly quite

Yeah/Nah, Aker is a toxic presence inside a football club and that's the reason he hasn't got an assistant's job anywhere despite applying for a few even though he has done has coaching accreditation. At the moment Aker is trying out for a career as a pro golfer.

bornadog
23-04-2019, 10:08 PM
. At the moment Aker is trying out for a career as a pro golfer.

and he got in trouble with the Golf Club - accused of cheating

Bulldog4life
23-04-2019, 10:18 PM
and he got in trouble with the Golf Club - accused of cheating

Hilarious

bornadog
23-04-2019, 10:41 PM
Hilarious

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/afl-2019-jason-akermanis-banned-from-local-golf-course-after-reports-of-cheating/news-story/8c0de13408415e4d502ce8b900ccd2b8