PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations Razor Ray - 300 Games

bornadog
14-06-2019, 03:04 PM
I think he does a great job, especially in these times when rules are all over the place. He could keep quiet sometimes and just umpire, but I think we need characters like him, otherwise the game is becoming too sterile.

Good on you Ray.

Here are some funny moments:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKMpRDotMGQ

Also some more from Channel Seven here (https://twitter.com/7AFL/status/1139338001706655745)

G-Mo77
14-06-2019, 03:08 PM
The guy is a flog!

bulldogtragic
14-06-2019, 03:12 PM
300 games is a huge effort for an umpire/referee in any sport. But especially our sport where they have to cover huge distances (15-20 KM a game), have repeat sprints all game, bounce an oval ball, have different rules each year, and different rule interpretations every second week, have nothing but scrutiny all game by fans, commentators, replays and then media in the early part of the next week. Then train your arse off during the week whilst trying to do your day jog to the best you can. Umpires can get dropped too, so to officiate 300 games says the umpires bosses over the last 20 years tells us they've all been happy with him. I don't get caught up in any of the commentary about his personality. He can either do the job well and get picked 300 times, or he can't do the job. The job being decision making as he's told to make. Clearly being picked 300 times means you're doing a good job.

bornadog
14-06-2019, 03:15 PM
300 games is a huge effort for an umpire/referee in any sport. But especially our sport where they have to cover huge distances (15-20 KM a game), have repeat sprints all game, bounce an oval ball, have different rules each year, and different rule interpretations every second week, have nothing but scrutiny all game by fans, commentators, replays and then media in the early part of the next week. Then train your arse off during the week whilst trying to do your day jog to the best you can. Umpires can get dropped too, so to officiate 300 games says the umpires bosses over the last 20 years tells us they've all been happy with him. I don't get caught up in any of the commentary about his personality. He can either do the job well and get picked 300 times, or he can't do the job. The job being decision making as he's told to make. Clearly being picked 300 times means you're doing a good job.

Nice one BT.

Axe Man
14-06-2019, 04:05 PM
The guy is a flog!

BOOOOOOOOOOO!

Seriously though well done Ray, saw some of his interview on Open Mike a while back and seems a decent bloke. Played along for a few laughs on the Front Bar the other night as well.

bornadog
14-06-2019, 04:33 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOO!

Seriously though well done Ray, saw some of his interview on Open Mike a while back and seems a decent bloke. Played along for a few laughs on the Front Bar the other night as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkphCkw2Hxo

Flamethrower
14-06-2019, 04:59 PM
Congratulations Ray - easily one of the best field umpires in the AFL. Umpires and referees that show character and have a good rapport with the players are far better than those that believe that they are superior to the players and wont give them the time of day (eg Dean Margetts, Matthew Nichols AKA Bald Headed Flog, Troy Pannell and Matt Stevic).

GVGjr
14-06-2019, 07:25 PM
I'm not a fan but it's a significant achievement. Well done Ray

AndrewP6
14-06-2019, 11:49 PM
Can’t stand him. Ego the size of the G, makes himself part of the show. One game closer to retirement hopefully.

westdog54
15-06-2019, 08:57 AM
Congratulations Ray - easily one of the best field umpires in the AFL. Umpires and referees that show character and have a good rapport with the players are far better than those that believe that they are superior to the players and wont give them the time of day (eg Dean Margetts, Matthew Nichols AKA Bald Headed Flog, Troy Pannell and Matt Stevic).

Again, I come back to referees like Nigel Owens and Wayne Barnes. Build rapport with players and your job becomes infinitely easier. As does having a sense of humour, which he clearly does.

Congratulations Ray.