PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee Thread Round 21, Vs Essendon

Scraggers
23-07-2019, 02:24 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make after our Round 20 match against Brisbane for our Round 21, 2019 match against Essendon at Marvel Stadium?

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
04-08-2019, 12:29 PM
Bump

GVGjr
04-08-2019, 09:07 PM
In - Lewis Young, Fletcher Roberts
Out - Zaine Cordy, Matthew Suckling

Tory Dickson a chance to be dropped for Rhylee West

Sedat
04-08-2019, 09:09 PM
Dunks and Crozier might both struggle to get up

Bullies
04-08-2019, 09:15 PM
Out: JJ(some of his tackling efforts were ordinary), Suckling (time for the NFL) and Dickson (time catches up with everyone)

In: Williams, West, Lewis Young

They won't drop Wood but he must be close

Nuggety Back Pocket
04-08-2019, 09:27 PM
Out: JJ(some of his tackling efforts were ordinary), Suckling (time for the NFL) and Dickson (time catches up with everyone)

In: Williams, West, Lewis Young

They won't drop Wood but he must be close

Totally agree on your three outs. Both JJ. and Suckling have been protected for far too long. Dickson’s lack of pace showed up badly today. Lac Young also needs to be considered perhaps at the expense of Williams who appears to be on the outer.

Bullies
04-08-2019, 09:31 PM
Totally agree on your three outs. Both JJ. and Suckling have been protected for far too long. Dickson’s lack of pace showed up badly today. Lac Young also needs to be considered perhaps at the expense of Williams who appears to be on the outer. Play Williams so we can hopefully get his currency up as they obviously don't want him next year.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
04-08-2019, 09:35 PM
Play Williams so we can hopefully get his currency up as they obviously don't want him next year.

You don't get games of AFL given to you, especially when you're notionally still in the hunt for finals. Judging by reports he also had a shocker today for Footscray.

Mantis
04-08-2019, 09:45 PM
You don't get games of AFL given to you, especially when you're notionally still in the hunt for finals. Judging by reports he also had a shocker today for Footscray.

Suckling was given a game today.

Ghost Dog
04-08-2019, 09:52 PM

Are we actually still able to make finals??

Danjul
04-08-2019, 09:55 PM
Totally agree on your three outs. Both JJ. and Suckling have been protected for far too long. Dickson’s lack of pace showed up badly today. Lac Young also needs to be considered perhaps at the expense of Williams who appears to be on the outer.

Williams had 15, 16, 16, 17, 17, 17, 19 = 117 possessions in 7 games before he was dropped.
Crozier had 13, 14, 14, 14, 15, 16, 19 in his last 7 games before Williams was dropped.
Richards had 6, 7, 9, 9, 12, 12, 23 = 78 possessions in 7 games at the same time.

Williams usually kicks the ball.

Is he really that bad? What is going on?

Eastdog
04-08-2019, 09:55 PM

I believe we are mathematically still a chance but other factors have to go our way.

azabob
04-08-2019, 09:58 PM

Very much so. Port is our biggest threat.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
04-08-2019, 10:10 PM

I don't think its 100% in our hands any more, and much harder given our final 3 opponents. But it's not gone. We have to win 3 from 3 and look for some results to come our way.

bornadog
04-08-2019, 10:15 PM
Williams had 15, 16, 16, 17, 17, 17, 19 = 117 possessions in 7 games before he was dropped.
Crozier had 13, 14, 14, 14, 15, 16, 19 in his last 7 games before Williams was dropped.
Richards had 6, 7, 9, 9, 12, 12, 23 = 78 possessions in 7 games at the same time.

Had 11 disposals today in the VFL - he is out of form

Ghost Dog
04-08-2019, 10:17 PM

Can't be worse than Cordy at the moment or Trengrove. Jackson and Zaine both look really down on confidence with the ball in hand. Williams took the game on a fair bit last time. Encouraged by what I saw.

azabob
04-08-2019, 10:26 PM
Can't be worse than Cordy at the moment or Trengrove. Jackson and Zaine both look really down on confidence with the ball in hand. Williams took the game on a fair bit last time. Encouraged by what I saw.

Problem is Williams isn’t a replacement for either Trengrove or Cordy.

Nuggety Back Pocket
04-08-2019, 10:34 PM

Richards was terrific last year in defence and should be played in his rightful position particularly given our shaky back line today. Williams has the ability with his long kicking to be a valuable addition to our midfield.

Ghost Dog
04-08-2019, 10:35 PM
Problem is Williams isn’t a replacement for either Trengrove or Cordy.

That depends on who he would play against. Against Essendon I think we could get away with replacing Cordy with Williams
He's taller than McGrath and Snelling.
But really, I am just super disappointed in our backline tonight ( bar Crozier. He is so fun to watch) and perhaps clutching at straws.

AutoFill
04-08-2019, 10:57 PM
Suckling was given a game today.
I think there is a few that are given games just quietly.

GVGjr
04-08-2019, 11:30 PM
Had 11 disposals today in the VFL - he is out of form

Wood had 12 today and has averaged about that all year and is regarded as good enough. I'm not sure stats matter that much with some of the selections

bornadog
04-08-2019, 11:32 PM
Wood had 12 today and has averaged about that all year and is regarded as good enough. I'm not sure stats matter that much with some of the selections

Different roles.

Wood looked a little lost out there at times, I am not sure what he as doing.

hujsh
04-08-2019, 11:32 PM
Having played without injury this year it will be very interesting and revealing to see if Wood makes the top 10 in the B&F. Given his experience and leadership position that's the minimum you'd expect.

MrMahatma
04-08-2019, 11:39 PM
Having played without injury this year it will be very interesting and revealing to see if Wood makes the top 10 in the B&F. Given his experience and leadership position that's the minimum you'd expect.

Flat out can’t be captain next year. Is a fringe player and should be treated as such. That said, our defence struggles... so we have little choice but to play him.

I’d bin Suckling for Duryea and make no other chances.

bornadog
04-08-2019, 11:40 PM
I’d bin Suckling for Duryea and make no other changes.

Hopefully Duryea is ok. The only other change could be to bring Rhylee West in, for Richards.

Rocket Science
04-08-2019, 11:49 PM
How do we feel about Toby's chances of keeping his spot?

He was a passenger today with one deplorable effort in particular that helped cost us.

Blokes bugger up but he just seems to be treading water at the moment. Certainly not nearing anything close to what he can do, nor what we particularly need with a season on the line. We're a bigger handful with him at his wily best.

I'm guessing we'll back him against the filth but you wonder if Westy comes back into the frame at his expense.

GVGjr
04-08-2019, 11:51 PM
Different roles.

Wood looked a little lost out there at times, I am not sure what he as doing.

Really?

Wood plays very few decent games, in my opinion the bar is certainly lower for him than many others
He's continues to escape a reasonable level of scrutiny and has for most of his career

bornadog
05-08-2019, 12:04 AM
Really?

Wood plays very few decent games, in my opinion the bar is certainly lower for him than many others
He's continues to escape a reasonable level of scrutiny and has for most of his career

So you think Williams and Wood play the same role? I think they should, but Wood's role is way different having to play on taller players and constantly go the punch (no stat for that).

Wood has been good and bad this year, not consistent, but he has had to play a lot deeper than previous years and I think it really doesn't suit him.

The Underdog
05-08-2019, 12:26 AM

If you're comparing Willaims and Crozier's contributions based on possessions then you're barking up the wrong tree. I'm a believer in Williams ability but Crozier is a *!*!*!*!ing mile ahead of him

Danjul
05-08-2019, 12:45 AM
If you're comparing Willaims and Crozier's contributions based on possessions then you're barking up the wrong tree. I'm a believer in Williams ability but Crozier is a *!*!*!*!ing mile ahead of him

How exactly?

I like both, but since Crozier cost us the game against Freo the first time I have noticed that he makes significant mistakes.

The occasional pack mark doesn’t make up for them.

Ghost Dog
05-08-2019, 12:46 AM

Good points. Captains simply don't hand over the ball like he is doing at the moment. It's demorsalizing.

westbulldog
05-08-2019, 01:48 AM
Cordy goes out , Lewis Young comes in, as should have happened this week.
West comes in for Dickson
Duryea for Suckling.

bulldogtragic
05-08-2019, 01:52 AM
Good points. Captains simply don't hand over the ball like he is doing at the moment. It's demorsalizing.

No. Captains tell the commentators while walking off at half time they need to address their ball use and stop turning it over. Them for the next half continue poor ball use and turn it over some more. Do as I say, not as I do. While the real leader Bontempelli tries to will his team over the line by doing everything while, despite missing out on about 5 'half frees' by the umps. If the internal discussion to make Bonts captain next year (for life) lasts more than 3 seconds I will spew.

And I want the club to make an application to the AFEL umpiring department for Bonts to be categorised 'Dangerfield/Selwood'. So he gets all the obvious frees, plus a few good bloke ones too. It's long overdue by us to get this paperwork in.

GVGjr
05-08-2019, 02:21 AM
So you think Williams and Wood play the same role? I think they should, but Wood's role is way different having to play on taller players and constantly go the punch (no stat for that).

Wood has been good and bad this year, not consistent, but he has had to play a lot deeper than previous years and I think it really doesn't suit him.

I dont think it has anything to do with the role he has been playing. He's possession count has been declining now for a few years and the 666 rule has reduced his ability to zone off and that was his strength. His inability to adapt and play other roles has exposed the flaws with his skills and ball getting ability.

jeemak
05-08-2019, 02:41 AM
I dont think it has anything to do with the role he has been playing. He's possession count has been declining now for a few years and the 666 rule has reduced his ability to zone off and that was his strength. His inability to adapt and play other roles has exposed the flaws with his skills and ball getting ability.

He called out his change in roles recently and admitted it's taken some time to adapt, you can't say a change in role won't affect his output negatively or positively, of course it would. He'd actually played better, but has taken a step backwards this week.

Once again, we need to understand whether things can be switched around to get the best out of him by bringing in other players to support or to allow him to move back into the role he is more suited to - which has been taken somewhat by Crozier these past 18 months, so perhaps with that in mind it might eventuate anyway given Crozier might be injured.

Saying he's not performing to the standard required is fine, but calling for him to be omitted leaves us open to putting an even worse solution in place whilst also losing our captain. He's not perfect but he has the respect and support of the group as far as I can tell so with an omission we lose a bit more than a player not playing to his highest capacity.

jeemak
05-08-2019, 02:46 AM
No. Captains tell the commentators while walking off at half time they need to address their ball use and stop turning it over. Them for the next half continue poor ball use and turn it over some more. Do as I say, not as I do. While the real leader Bontempelli tries to will his team over the line by doing everything while, despite missing out on about 5 'half frees' by the umps. If the internal discussion to make Bonts captain next year (for life) lasts more than 3 seconds I will spew.

And I want the club to make an application to the AFEL umpiring department for Bonts to be categorised 'Dangerfield/Selwood'. So he gets all the obvious frees, plus a few good bloke ones too. It's long overdue by us to get this paperwork in.

I know it's not your intent BT but it's a tad disrespectful to Wood to call Bont the real leader, Easton captained us to a flag and plays with a lot of courage and intent irrespective of some limitations in his game that have been exacerbated by a change in role.

Also remember Bont missed a goal from five metres out which was inexcusable and it's not the first time he's fluffed easy chances this year - he lets us down regularly when he has an opportunity to kick goals! So as good as Bont is it's a sign that nobody's perfect, but I do agree with you the he gets scragged continuously but always seems to be pinged for holding the ball at the earliest opportunity. We have a few players that are treated poorly by the umpires and it's starting to get my goat a little.

bulldogtragic
05-08-2019, 02:59 AM
I know it's not your intent BT but it's a tad disrespectful to Wood to call Bont the real leader, Easton captained us to a flag and plays with a lot of courage and intent irrespective of some limitations in his game that have been exacerbated by a change in role.

Also remember Bont also missed a goal from five metres out which was inexcusable (and it's not the first time he's fluffed easy chances this year - he lets us down regularly when he has an opportunity to kick goals)! So it's a sign that nobody's perfect, but I do agree with you the Bont gets scragged continuously but always seems to be pinged for holding the ball at the earliest opportunity. We have a few players like that and it's starting to get my goat a little.

Perhaps one could infer that, but leadership and captaincy are two very different things in my view. Wood is the captain and does the role, but when things need to change up, Bonts & Macrae lead by example for the most part. Back in the day Sam Mitchell was Hawthorn captain, but Luke Hodge was the onfield leader. Hence why he got the captaincy and won a bunch of flags as captain. On this year, I can't say as a player that Wood has been the leader when things got willing. But he's captained the team. Bonts & Macrae this year to me demonstrate real leadership in action. To me it's a distinction with a difference.

jeemak
05-08-2019, 03:19 AM
Perhaps one could infer that, but leadership and captaincy are two very different things in my view. Wood is the captain and does the role, but when things need to change up, Bonts & Macrae lead by example for the most part. Back in the day Sam Mitchell was Hawthorn captain, but Luke Hodge was the onfield leader. Hence why he got the captaincy and won a bunch of flags as captain. On this year, I can't say as a player that Wood has been the leader when things got willing. But he's captained the team. Bonts & Macrae this year to me demonstrate real leadership in action. To me it's a distinction with a difference.

You and I sparring it out late at night reminds me of days of yore BT! I guess the time difference between Australia and Vietnam and the fact the cricket is on is affording this opportunity.

I get what you're saying, but I think that each of Wood, Bont and Macrae have demonstrated some faults in performances this year that show they're not perfect and have clear things they need to work on. The latter two don't face the same high stakes situations Easton does and in my view their lapses aren't as easily recognised or exposed, but they are there.

Having said that the latter two are having wonderful years and should both be All Australian (FWIW I think Jacko will miss out), and while Easton leads with his courage, direction and team support he definitely needs to stop himself from being out-positioned in two minds of what to do, and tidy up his disposal.

bulldogtragic
05-08-2019, 03:26 AM
You and I sparring it out late at night reminds me of days of yore BT! I guess the time difference between Australia and Vietnam and the fact the cricket is on is affording this opportunity.

I get what you're saying, but I think that each of Wood, Bont and Macrae have demonstrated some faults in performances this year that show they're not perfect and have clear things they need to work on. The latter two don't face the same high stakes situations Easton does and in my view their lapses aren't as easily recognised or exposed, but they are there.

Having said that the latter two are having wonderful years and should both be All Australian (FWIW I think Jacko will miss out), and while Easton leads with his courage, direction and team support he definitely needs to stop himself from being out-positioned in two minds of what to do, and tidy up his disposal.

Good times, and I wasn't going sit up either. I do wonder if Wood hands the captaincy over to whomever, whether the extra time to focus on his own game will benefit him and the side. Jacko will miss out for a third year I agree, which is crazy considering he has the most 30+ disposal games across 2018-2019 and the 'selectors' spew stats as reasoning for selection. I'll be very interested to see how he goes in the B&F.

jeemak
05-08-2019, 03:48 AM
Good times, and I wasn't going sit up either. I do wonder if Wood hands the captaincy over to whomever, whether the extra time to focus on his own game will benefit him and the side. Jacko will miss out for a third year I agree, which is crazy considering he has the most 30+ disposal games across 2018-2019 and the 'selectors' spew stats as reasoning for selection. I'll be very interested to see how he goes in the B&F.

Given the amount of coaches votes the Bont should probably get the B&F. Jacko to be stiff with second again, but there's no doubt a lot of the reasoning would be around him doing an over balance of his good work between the arcs and not enough in the forward arc - which is probably going to be the justification for leaving him out of the AA side.

I look at Neale as a good comparison to Jacko, here's their head to head for the year. Really even, with Neale being a bit tidier with the ball and getting more contested possessions, but what they don't account for is how good Jacko can be with his kicking when he is really on, but also how horrid it can look when he bites off too much:

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=8&playerStatus2=A&tid2=20&type=A&pid1=3800&pid2=3694&fid1=S&fid2=S

Neale is in everyone's calculations for the Brownlow, Jacko isn't. Brisbane are the buzz team of the year and that has something to do with it, but I can't help but feel Jacko is underrated.

Compare Bont to Neale and the stats again don't tell a solid story. Because Bont goes for so much with a lot of his disposal all the time and continually has team midfielders entirely focused on him his efficiency is down - but if you asked anyone they'd say he's by far the most damaging. Bont vs Neale:

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=8&playerStatus2=A&tid2=20&type=A&pid1=3921&pid2=3694&fid1=S&fid2=S

GVGjr
05-08-2019, 07:12 AM
He called out his change in roles recently and admitted it's taken some time to adapt, you can't say a change in role won't affect his output negatively or positively, of course it would. He'd actually played better, but has taken a step backwards this week.

Once again, we need to understand whether things can be switched around to get the best out of him by bringing in other players to support or to allow him to move back into the role he is more suited to - which has been taken somewhat by Crozier these past 18 months, so perhaps with that in mind it might eventuate anyway given Crozier might be injured.

Saying he's not performing to the standard required is fine, but calling for him to be omitted leaves us open to putting an even worse solution in place whilst also losing our captain. He's not perfect but he has the respect and support of the group as far as I can tell so with an omission we lose a bit more than a player not playing to his highest capacity.

I know we can't drop him, I get that, but his ability to escape scrutiny both in his early years and in recent times is uncanny.
When some players/defenders are said to be under performing and yet in many examples they have better skills and simply get the ball more than Wood it's more than a bit ironic to have their stats offered up as the reason to justify their omission.
I also don't think his role has changed. There is a reason why he was tried up forward and I think the 666 rule this year has further reduce his one real strength of being the 3rd man in marking contests just enough to see another decline with his possession count.

I think if he loses the captaincy then he may not enjoy the automatic selection process for next season.

Bullies
05-08-2019, 09:01 AM

Wood has been good and bad this year, not consistent, but he has had to play a lot deeper than previous years and I think it really doesn't suit him. Totally understand what you are saying about Wood in regards to the punch and how that stat doesn't count but the problem is he is not even getting to contests to kill the ball like he used to. He has also lost the ability to read the play and take the intercept mark. I wouldn't be surprised to see him do the right thing and stand down as Captain and hand over to the Bont.

Happy Days
05-08-2019, 10:23 AM
Wood was having a pretty good month and played through some sort of knock in this game. The turnover at the end of the second quarter was awful but the others in the back 6 were far more disappointing across the whole day. There’s no way he should be dropped, and need him this week in particular to blanket Stringer.

comrade
05-08-2019, 10:32 AM
Wood was having a pretty good month and played through some sort of knock in this game. The turnover at the end of the second quarter was awful but the others in the back 6 were far more disappointing across the whole day. There’s no way he should be dropped, and need him this week in particular to blanket Stringer.

Yeah, Wood wasn't close to our biggest issue in defence yesterday. Cordy getting out-marked one on one multiple times, then adjusting and hanging back leading to easy leading marks was much more damaging. Suckling did nothing right in terms of defending or attacking, Trengove just scrags and hopes to get away with it.

We have the worst defensive personnel of any top 12 team, by far. That's why I'm not convinced about Naughton up forward. Our defense is soooooo bad, but then if you take Naughton away from the forward line, it becomes just another wasteland.

Thank god for our midfield, our list is a bit of a mess.

Bulldog4life
05-08-2019, 11:10 AM
How do we feel about Toby's chances of keeping his spot?

He was a passenger today with one deplorable effort in particular that helped cost us.

Blokes bugger up but he just seems to be treading water at the moment. Certainly not nearing anything close to what he can do, nor what we particularly need with a season on the line. We're a bigger handful with him at his wily best.

I'm guessing we'll back him against the filth but you wonder if Westy comes back into the frame at his expense.

That would be one of my changes. West in. Dickson out. Still thinking about others.

The Pie Man
05-08-2019, 11:57 AM
Can't see how we persist with Cordy in the back line - allowing that mark to Rayner was inexcusable.

He can be a real nuisance up the other end - I'd prefer both Youngs in for the tall / next tall backman roles.

A Wood v Stringer mactchup wold be reallll interesting.

hujsh
05-08-2019, 12:10 PM
Imagine backline with all of Trengove, Wood and Lewis Young. Maybe throw Naughton back for a bit as a loose man and we’ll have a Clanger bonanza

westbulldog
05-08-2019, 01:17 PM
Wood hasn't had a great year and has been average but not below par. He is a quality person and as premiership captain deserves more respect and support than the crap he gets from some on here. His effectiveness has been substantially diluted by us not having 2 quality KPD's. Trengove and Cordy are not the answers and never have been. Cordy is better suited forward where he provides some aggression. Williams has shown some good ability, as has Lewis Young. The critics of Williams and Young are far too harsh imo. Give these kids an extended run at it then make your call.

The bulldog tragician
05-08-2019, 01:46 PM
I am not suggesting he is dropped as he had two good weeks and I think we need this year to assess his overall value but I thought Bailey Dale was very disappointing yesterday. Players like him tend to drift out in the red-hot battles and it wasn't exactly silver service into the forward line, but I'm hoping to see him do more to create opportunities in a fierce contest like yesterday's.

Mantis
05-08-2019, 02:06 PM
I am not suggesting he is dropped as he had two good weeks and I think we need this year to assess his overall value but I thought Bailey Dale was very disappointing yesterday. Players like him tend to drift out in the red-hot battles and it wasn't exactly silver service into the forward line, but I'm hoping to see him do more to create opportunities in a fierce contest like yesterday's.

Yep, he failed to convert a few of his half chances and couldn't win a contest when the odds weren't stacked in his favour either.

It still looks like it needs to all go right for Bailey to be effective and whilst his last 2 weeks showed an ability to hit the scoreboard on reflection he was probably flattered.

I still have my doubts to whether he will be a consistent performer for us.

bulldogtragic
05-08-2019, 02:21 PM
Yep, he failed to convert a few of his half chances and couldn't win a contest when the odds weren't stacked in his favour either.

It still looks like it needs to all go right for Bailey to be effective and whilst his last 2 weeks showed an ability to hit the scoreboard on reflection he was probably flattered.

It's ironic for me, but I feel a little like he's the latest version of Jarrad Grant. Just when I'm about to give up, they bob up and do enough to get another contract. His lack of forward pressure, but ability to kick some goals is not completely unlike Dan Menzel. Geelong valued pressure over goals. In a purely dispassionate way, holding Grant cost us a trade currency and was ultimately delisted. I read that the club will sign Dale shortly, but I can't shake this Jarrad Grant feeling about him. I hope this feeling is wrong though, as we all want our players to succeed.

GVGjr
05-08-2019, 02:31 PM
Can't see how we persist with Cordy in the back line - allowing that mark to Rayner was inexcusable.

He can be a real nuisance up the other end - I'd prefer both Youngs in for the tall / next tall backman roles.

A Wood v Stringer mactchup wold be reallll interesting.

That would be a perfect match up in my opinion

The bulldog tragician
05-08-2019, 02:36 PM
That would be a perfect match up in my opinion

Wood played on him last year and beat him comprehensively I think.

bornadog
05-08-2019, 03:10 PM

I am with you. Sucked me in with two good matches, but yesterday he was woeful

Rocket Science
05-08-2019, 03:27 PM

Perhaps we should start calling him 'the Orchid'.

He'd be a more consistent performer with smarter service and the right structure/personnel around him rather than the merry-go-round set up we have no choice but to run with. We really do ask a lot of our forwards.

He's a clever 2-3 goal per game candidate I think if we get our collective shit together, but he's never going to be a drag you over the line difference maker though. Every team needs some cream.

BulldogBelle
05-08-2019, 05:10 PM
Under consideration for inclusion

Jordan Sweet
The best ruckman Footscray has seen since Scott Wynd. Super tap work and has been the dominant ruck in nearly every game. He has improved right throughout the year. His work in general play is also very good taking several marks around the ground. Time for his AFL debut.

Gowers
Has been playing OK in the centre for Footscray. Has been throwing his weight around a bit, as he normally does. He has the possibility to lose us a game through giving away a stupid free kick. I think that he enjoys hurting people.
That Robinson should be reported for his charge on Dunkley. Obviously he won't be so we have to get revenge. Gowers is the guy to put the wind up the opposition, tell him to charge the body, but don't let him into their forward line.

Lewis Young
Should have been in the team months ago. Great marking, spoiling and accurate and long kicking. Better than Cordy, Williams and Trengove. Obvious choice.

Baku Khamis
Has steadily improved throughout the year. Might get a go at AFL. Least he sticks to his man.

Bailey Williams
Against Frankston I reckon he handed them about 4 goals on a platter. Something wrong with him. Nowhere near his best.

Rhylee West
Obvious quality player who will play 200+ games for us.

R Smith, Jong, Webb
Have had their go at AFL. Are no good. Some shouldn't have got that far.

Lynch
Starting to improve and get back his form. Why did he go backwards??

Hayes
Consistent performer, VFL is his forte. Might be an AFL replacement player for a week or so due to injury. Can do some AFL work.

Vandermeer
Shows promise but not yet ready.

Porter
Might have to resign himself to the fact that he will never get a game at AFL level.

Cavarra
Has talent and might get an AFL game. If he can stay injury-free.

Lachie Young
Never deserved an AFL game based on his VFL performance and that is still true. Too much fumbling for my like. May still make it though, confidence is a marvellous thing.

Fletcher Roberts
VFL is just his cup of tea. NO AFL ever again please.

Under the Hammer and Injury cloud

Dunkley
Robinson charged and hit him full on. Right at the man not the ball. Revenge required.

Crozier
Injured ankle in marking contest.

Cordy
Ball watches. Do the coaches not tell him to stop watching where the ball is going and rather watch where his man is going. That's where the ball will end up. Simple as pie. Been a problem for years and not going away. We have a poor backline. Some thing drastic has to be done with Cordy; or his backline coach, or both of them.

Trengove
He tries hard but has no class. In the VFL he would be good. Loses too many contests.

McLean
Not getting it enough. But may improve.

There are problems with Suckling, Wood, Richards and JJ not getting enough of the ball but there are no likely replacements.

My Changes
Out:
Trengove
McLean

In:
Le Young
West

Gia is looking a better coach than Bev at the moment.

kruder
05-08-2019, 08:43 PM
Richards has had a really poor year, he's tempting to play given our lack of speed but really struggles with the pace of the game when in possession. He is a player who would benefit from another few weeks in the VFL.

bornadog
05-08-2019, 08:47 PM
Richards has had a really poor year, he's tempting to play given our lack of speed but really struggles with the pace of the game when in possession. He is a player who would benefit from another few weeks in the VFL.

Who comes in? West?

kruder
05-08-2019, 09:18 PM
Who comes in? West?

100%

The Adelaide Connection
05-08-2019, 10:05 PM

Sure his output is down, but I’d be interested to see some more off screen footage of his offensive and defensive running.

His speed is extremely important to a team that is not overly blessed with it and I wonder if he is running with players that would otherwise burn us (and whether he is running into positions that open up space for others when we have it).

Someone on here who has watched him closely live a lot might be able to answer these questions. But I suspect he must be doing something that is not necessarily obvious.

I worried the week we dropped Richards and B Smith leading into the Saints game (especially as they are known for their speed).

bornadog
05-08-2019, 10:24 PM
I worried the week we dropped Richards and B Smith leading into the Saints game (especially as they are known for their speed).

Smith has played every game, and Richards had some hamstring tightness that week

Nuggety Back Pocket
05-08-2019, 10:43 PM
I am with you. Sucked me in with two good matches, but yesterday he was woeful
Dale had a poor game as did Dickson and Lloyd. His two previous games were outstanding to be our best forward with 9 goals. Our forward line for the most part has been ineffective and perhaps we could do a lot worse than persevere with Dale for the moment.

bornadog
05-08-2019, 10:53 PM
Dale had a poor game as did Dickson and Lloyd. His two previous games were outstanding to be our best forward with 9 goals. Our forward line for the most part has been ineffective and perhaps we could do a lot worse than persevere with Dale for the moment.

Agree we shouldn't drop him

The Adelaide Connection
05-08-2019, 10:59 PM
Smith has played every game, and Richards had some hamstring tightness that week

Sorry, I meant Bailey Williams. Dropped or otherwise, my point is that two of our quickest players came out of the team that was going head to head with a team known for their speed. It had me worried at the time.

My point by extension is that Richards offers raw speed that is a fairly rare commodity in our team.

bornadog
05-08-2019, 11:03 PM
Sorry, I meant Bailey Williams. Dropped or otherwise, my point is that two of our quickest players came out of the team that was going head to head with a team known for their speed. It had me worried at the time.

My point by extension is that Richards offers raw speed that is a fairly rare commodity in our team.

I agree. I think last week and this he had opportunities to kick more goals, but just panicked and rushed them. Nail those and we wouldn't be talking about dropping him.

Danjul
05-08-2019, 11:13 PM
I agree. I think last week and this he had opportunities to kick more goals, but just panicked and rushed them. Nail those and we wouldn't be talking about dropping him.

But he has missed them and his field kicking has been poor.

Also, it is rare for him to show speed because he is frequently corralled against the boundary line. Unfortunately that is where the team prefers to play.

Bumper Bulldogs
05-08-2019, 11:14 PM

It was a disaster of a game to play in the forward 50, So many leads not honoured, So many kicks inside the forward 50 hit the ground and missed the targets, The long Bomb for the first half didn't work and we didn't lower the eyes, Its hard to blame the three small forwards when the ball coming in was given back to the Lions on a platter. What I would say is that with that all put to one side, We didn't have anyone who hit the pack or just crunched the opposition. You know just like Mitch Robinson did to Dunkley.
With Suckling, JJ, Lloyd, Dale, Daniel, Lipinski, Hunter, Richards in the side. No opposition side would be worried about us. Unfortunately we have lost that hard edge that you need in September!

Danjul
05-08-2019, 11:23 PM
It was a disaster of a game to play in the forward 50, So many leads not honoured, So many kicks inside the forward 50 hit the ground and missed the targets, The long Bomb for the first half didn't work and we didn't lower the eyes, Its hard to blame the three small forwards when the ball coming in was given back to the Lions on a platter. What I would say is that with that all put to one side, We didn't have anyone who hit the pack or just crunched the opposition. You know just like Mitch Robinson did to Dunkley.
With Suckling, JJ, Lloyd, Dale, Daniel, Lipinski, Hunter, Richards in the side. No opposition side would be worried about us. Unfortunately we have lost that hard edge that you need in September!

I cannot remember seeing worse kicking than that on display from the Dogs in the first quarter.

They have no confidence and that is probably why their first choice is to handball (short).

Happy Days
05-08-2019, 11:28 PM
I cannot remember seeing worse kicking than that on display from the Dogs in the first quarter.

They have no confidence and that is probably why their first choice is to handball (short).

I actually think that's a little bit of a let off. The amount of balls that went into the hands of players on the mark or shadowing the ball carrier was appalling and can only really be put down to laziness. Schache's handball turnover after a pretty good contested mark was especially backbreaking.

Danjul
05-08-2019, 11:42 PM
I actually think that's a little bit of a let off. The amount of balls that went into the hands of players on the mark or shadowing the ball carrier was appalling and can only really be put down to laziness. Schache's handball turnover after a pretty good contested mark was especially backbreaking.

You might be correct but I see the players shaping up for a handball to the side as a first reaction to finding the ball in their hands.

That is before they have even looked ahead.

As I heard someone say recently, they want to get rid of the ball as quickly as possible.

only a few hold the ball and take responsibility for quickly gaining maximum distance with it.

Bullies
06-08-2019, 09:17 PM
Daniel is out for the year with a hammy and Crozier probably wont come up.

The Adelaide Connection
06-08-2019, 09:47 PM

The year? Where was that mentioned?

Hotdog60
06-08-2019, 10:36 PM
Only three games to go if we don't make finals that's the season.

bornadog
06-08-2019, 11:56 PM

I thought Crozier was a test?

Axe Man
07-08-2019, 10:31 AM

Do you have some inside info because neither of those things have been reported.

Essendon with plenty of injury problems of their own, including Saad ruled out this week.

Bullies
07-08-2019, 11:55 AM
Do you have some inside info because neither of those things have been reported.

Essendon with plenty of injury problems of their own, including Saad ruled out this week. The club rarely reports what it should in regards to injuries

Axe Man
07-08-2019, 01:13 PM
The club rarely reports what it should in regards to injuries

I suspect you are right.

Fair chance Daniel is out for the regular season but if we make finals, given the week off you would think he's a fair chance to return.

Crozier is probably up against it but Bont came up a few weeks back with his ankle so fingers crossed.

Hopefully Dr Dre is right to return.

Jeanette54
08-08-2019, 06:11 PM
Sometimes I despair of some of the comments on this site. There are a few players in our team who, when I see them in a one out duel, I know I can relax.... they got this.

Bailey Smith, Crozier and Dureya are a couple of these, and another is the much maligned (on this forum) Ed Richards. All of these will at least halve the contest, and on most occasions win it. Ed Richards never gives in, and will continue to harass and chase his opponent if things don't go his way. That goes a long way with me, which kind of explains why Dale Morris is my favourite Bulldog.

bornadog
08-08-2019, 06:25 PM
Sometimes I despair of some of the comments on this site. There are a few players in our team who, when I see them in a one out duel, I know I can relax.... they got this.

Bailey Smith, Crozier and Dureya are a couple of these, and another is the much maligned (on this forum) Ed Richards. All of these will at least halve the contest, and on most occasions win it. Ed Richards never gives in, and will continue to harass and chase his opponent if things don't go his way. That goes a long way with me, which kind of explains why Dale Morris is my favourite Bulldog.

Agree J54, another player I feel that is rarely beaten one on one is Hunter.

Mantis
08-08-2019, 07:26 PM
In - Hayes & Duryea

Out - Daniel (hammy) & Libba (knee soreness)

#inbevowetrust

comrade
08-08-2019, 07:27 PM
In - Hayes & Duryea

Out - Daniel (hammy) & Libba (knee soreness)

Suckling and Hayes in the same side. Yay.

Mantis
08-08-2019, 07:29 PM
Suckling and Hayes in the same side. Yay.

Farewell game for both? :o

Good luck to both of them, but it makes you wonder what’s important at the club.

Axe Man
08-08-2019, 07:30 PM
Essendon decimated, no excuses:

IN
Ben McNiece, Shaun McKernan, Mark Baguley, Dyson Heppell, David Myers, Josh Begley
OUT
Aaron Francis (Injured), Michael Hartley (Omitted), Adam Saad (Injured), Darcy Parish (Injured), Matt Guelfi (Injured), Will Snelling (Injured)

Rocket Science
08-08-2019, 07:36 PM
Essendon decimated, no excuses:

Fingers crossed we double the dose. Be lovely to comprehensively bury them.

Assuming the only reason Hayes sneaks back in at the expense of someone more dynamic is because Bevo has a very specific job for him. So does he go to Shiel or McGrath?

Doc26
08-08-2019, 07:45 PM
I just cannot see Hayes ahead of Williams or West. Unless there’s injuries to the latter something is off.

Axe Man
08-08-2019, 07:53 PM
I just cannot see Hayes ahead of Williams or West. Unless there’s injuries to the latter something is off.

Hayes plays predominately midfield, West is a forward at this stage and Williams has played back and forward this year at AFL level, but not midfield as far as I recall (and apparently was terrible in the VFL last week).

Perhaps Hayes is simply the best available for the role we require?

GVGjr
08-08-2019, 08:09 PM
Hayes plays predominately midfield, West is a forward at this stage and Williams has played back and forward this year at AFL level, but not midfield as far as I recall (and apparently was terrible in the VFL last week).

Hayes is a vastly improved player than he was earlier in the season. While I agree with Doc 26 re Williams or West, the Hayes selection is something I'm more than comfortable with

MrMahatma
08-08-2019, 08:12 PM

Well, his chosen position may be one thing, but with all due respect, he struggles at best.

I honestly thought we wouldn’t see him again this year, and was comfortable with that.

G-Mo77
08-08-2019, 08:17 PM
Did Rylee West get injured? That could be the only reason he doesn't get a call up over Hayes. Sheesh.

Mantis
08-08-2019, 08:43 PM
Hayes is a vastly improved player than he was earlier in the season. While I agree with Doc 26 re Williams or West, the Hayes selection is something I'm more than comfortable with

How has Hayes improved?

Eastdog
08-08-2019, 09:07 PM
How has Hayes improved?

Duryea not that surprising but Hayes must be doing good in the VFL. Libba out but good Dunks and Crozier are ok from last Sunday.

bornadog
08-08-2019, 09:41 PM
West very unlucky, Hayes extremely lucky

The Adelaide Connection
08-08-2019, 10:06 PM
Did Rylee West get injured? That could be the only reason he doesn't get a call up over Hayes. Sheesh.

One thing that Hayes does have is an elite tank. In every AFL game he has played so far he has been ranked in our top couple (regularly first) for total kms, kms covered at high speed, highest maximum speed, highest average moving speed, and most amount of sprint efforts (doubling our next best by as much as 15 in some games).

I want to see Rhylee play as much as the next dog, but can he throw up Hayes like running numbers? I think this point of difference might be what gets Hayes the nod this week.

kruder
08-08-2019, 10:10 PM
Lets be honest Hayes shouldn't be anywhere near an AFL list, Bevo just loves a battler it reminds him of himself as a player.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
08-08-2019, 10:24 PM
Lets be honest Hayes shouldn't be anywhere near an AFL list, Bevo just loves a battler it reminds him of himself as a player.

You may ultimately be proven right about Hayes. But if he's shown form in the two's then clearly the match committee see's a role for him this week.
To equate Bevo (who is just one voice in the match committee) selecting Hayes purely because he likes to see a battler like himself get a game is just wrong. This isn't amateur hour, and Bevo just isn't going to give a game to anyone on a fanciful whim when there is a professional game of football at stake.

I've not been impressed thus far by Hayes, and am yet to be convinced he's a long term AFL player, but he ain't getting a game because Bevo thinks it's reminiscent of his career.

1eyedog
08-08-2019, 10:44 PM
One thing that Hayes does have is an elite tank. In every AFL game he has played so far he has been ranked in our top couple (regularly first) for total kms, kms covered at high speed, highest maximum speed, highest average moving speed, and most amount of sprint efforts (doubling our next best by as much as 15 in some games).

I want to see Rhylee play as much as the next dog, but can he throw up Hayes like running numbers? I think this point of difference might be what gets Hayes the nod this week.

He's like a deer in the highlights when he gets it I don't care how far he can run. He turns the ball over too much to be playing.

Scraggers
08-08-2019, 10:50 PM
West very unlucky, Hayes extremely lucky

I would have thought West’s tackling would get a game over Hayes’ running every day of the week and twice on the sabbath.

ReLoad
09-08-2019, 03:15 AM
I’ve never really seriously questioned the MC like this before, but WTF?

As others have rightly said, Hayes? We had a good look at him earlier this year and I’m afraid that endurance isn’t enough of a reason to be getting a game. He will get seriously exposed by a speed team like the cheats.

We’ve officially turned into the discount white goods sellers of the footyworld. We’ve gone mad!

GVGjr
09-08-2019, 06:18 AM
How has Hayes improved?

The games I've seen he's just a vastly improved player. His kicking and ability to get the ball appear to me to have improved

azabob
09-08-2019, 07:42 AM
Both changes are pretty much like for a like. I’m ok with both changes.

SonofScray
09-08-2019, 07:42 AM
Hayes is a worry, like Jong used to earlier in his career, he'll work hard, get the footy and then give it up easily under pressure. Outside runners will sweep every one of them up, get a man over the top and walk in a goal. I reckon he was worth -3 goals a week in his last stint.

Things can change though. If he can hang onto the ball in the clinches and choose safer option more often when in motion, his work ethic will shine.

Danjul
09-08-2019, 10:15 AM

As others have rightly said, Hayes? We had a good look at him earlier this year and I’m afraid that endurance isn’t enough of a reason to be getting a game. He will get seriously exposed by a speed team like the cheats.

We’ve officially turned into the discount white goods sellers of the footyworld. We’ve gone mad!

I didn’t like Hayes’ last game. He made a lot of errors after he had the head knock. But even then he had double the possessions of some others. His earlier games were quite passable.

Bullies
09-08-2019, 10:12 PM
You may ultimately be proven right about Hayes. But if he's shown form in the two's then clearly the match committee see's a role for him this week.
To equate Bevo (who is just one voice in the match committee) selecting Hayes purely because he likes to see a battler like himself get a game is just wrong. This isn't amateur hour, and Bevo just isn't going to give a game to anyone on a fanciful whim when there is a professional game of football at stake.

I've not been impressed thus far by Hayes, and am yet to be convinced he's a long term AFL player, but he ain't getting a game because Bevo thinks it's reminiscent of his career. Hayes is one of those players who is a star at VFL level but not good enough at AFL level. He will get BOG every week in the VFL but found out in the top line.

Bullies
09-08-2019, 10:13 PM

We’ve officially turned into the discount white goods sellers of the footyworld. We’ve gone mad! Bevo is the new Ken Bruce

Remi Moses
09-08-2019, 10:41 PM
Bit tough on Bevo picking players who remind him of himself
Getting some silly comments on here the last few months
Personally , I think West would be a better inclusion , but I’m positive players arent picked because it’s like the coach looking in the mirror

mjp
10-08-2019, 01:00 AM
Hayes is one of those players who is a star at VFL level but not good enough at AFL level. He will get BOG every week in the VFL but found out in the top line.

What’s he played - 5 games?

He had a taste, has gone back to the vfl with stuff to work on...players can develop and improve (you could even say that’s the whole idea). A hard working kid who played his way onto the list through our vfl side at the end of last year...I don’t get all the negativity...we should be celebrating his success not dragging him down.

westdog54
10-08-2019, 08:10 AM

He had a taste, has gone back to the vfl with stuff to work on...players can develop and improve (you could even say that’s the whole idea). A hard working kid who played his way onto the list through our vfl side at the end of last year...I don’t get all the negativity...we should be celebrating his success not dragging him down.

This.

I remember on the 'Other Site' many years ago, a poster who I still respect (He doesn't post anymore) was showing Matthew Boyd the door alongside Patrick Wiggins at the end of 2003.

I'm not for a moment suggesting Hayes is going to turn into Matthew Boyd, but heavens above, lets not stamp his papers after 5 top-level games, particularly if he's earned another chance through his VFL work.

Danjul
10-08-2019, 09:07 AM
This.

I remember on the 'Other Site' many years ago, a poster who I still respect (He doesn't post anymore) was showing Matthew Boyd the door alongside Patrick Wiggins at the end of 2003.

I'm not for a moment suggesting Hayes is going to turn into Matthew Boyd, but heavens above, lets not stamp his papers after 5 top-level games, particularly if he's earned another chance through his VFL work.

Only two questions you need to ask about a new Dog.

Does he have a pedigree?
Is he cute?

The Adelaide Connection
10-08-2019, 10:42 AM

Totally agree. Just look at Sam Reid (the GWS variety) who was nothing more than a roommate for Ward when GWS took him.

Was delisted and found his way back onto the list based on NEAFL form (which, no offence to NEAFL, but is less impressive than good VFL form). Has hardly missed a game since (despite the consistent stream of talent GWS have been able to bring in).

Didn’t there used to be some kind of 20 game rule on here?

1eyedog
10-08-2019, 11:02 AM
Let's see how he plays. I'm not convinced though. It's elimination final time and I'm not one for dicking around with selections. Would prefer West or Lew Young but with Libba going out understand we need another small.

Who plays on Stringer?

GVGjr
10-08-2019, 11:06 AM
Hayes is one of those players who is a star at VFL level but not good enough at AFL level. He will get BOG every week in the VFL but found out in the top line.

Today might answer that view but I do think he has improved and I was a harsh critic of his long spell in the seniors earlier in the year

It's will be interesting to see if we have a specific role for him this week

The thing I don't understand from a lot of our supporters is that for years we wanted our own VFL side so we could develop players the right way but we now seem to want to ignore the form of the players at Footscray and turn it a wish list of just selecting the young players

Hayes has earned his chance for a recall, I wish him well

bornadog
10-08-2019, 11:34 AM
Who plays on Stringer?

Either Wood or Crozier

Bumper Bulldogs
10-08-2019, 12:08 PM
Have a good feeling about getting hold of the Dons tonight. Dogs on a Saturday night will not let us down.

Wood goes to Stringer and whispers sweet little nothings in his ear all night. English to keep pushing guesses and could have a huge day out.

The midfield will kill them in tight and on the outside Would get us back on the bike fir another final crack at the crows next week.

1eyedog
10-08-2019, 12:26 PM
Today might answer that view but I do think he has improved and I was a harsh critic of his long spell in the seniors earlier in the year

It's will be interesting to see if we have a specific role for him this week

The thing I don't understand from a lot of our supporters is that for years we wanted our own VFL side so we could develop players the right way but we now seem to want to ignore the form of the players at Footscray and turn it a wish list of just selecting the young players

Hayes has earned his chance for a recall, I wish him well

I agree he's earned his spot but as far as I'm concerned he is just one of those players who finds the jump to the big time a bit too much. A Brodie Moles / Brett Goodes type. I'm all for playing West in front of him surely he comes back in after his debut? I mean what are we doing? Hoping we have a role in mind and a specific purpose for Hayes and I hope he plays well. We need him to.

GVGjr
10-08-2019, 12:31 PM
I agree he's earned his spot but as far as I'm concerned he is just one of those players who finds the jump to the big time a bit too much. A Brodie Moles / Brett Goodes type. I'm all for playing West in front of him surely he comes back in after his debut? I mean what are we doing? Hoping we have a role in mind and a specific purpose for Hayes and I hope he plays well.

Can we really make a decisive call on Hayes in his first season as a professional footballer? Perhaps, but he's coming into the side tonight with better form than we he was originally selected earlier in the year.
I admit he is a 50/50 call but hopefully good form means something and for what it's worth I'd have Williams in front of him

1eyedog
10-08-2019, 12:34 PM
Can we really make a decisive call on Hayes in his first season as a professional footballer? Perhaps, but he's coming into the side tonight with better form than we he was originally selected earlier in the year.
I admit he is a 50/50 call but hopefully good form means something and for what it's worth I'd have Williams in front of him

Fair enough if you're going on rewarding form at Footscray though Hayes has to play before Williams. Feeling Hayes is going to get a run with role. Merrett? We actually need a good defensive mid with Wallis / Libba out Bont more outside and JMac also seemingly playing more attacking.

GVGjr
10-08-2019, 12:39 PM
Fair enough if you're going on rewarding form at Footscray though Hayes has to play before Williams. Feeling Hayes is going to get a run with role. Merrett? We actually need a good defensive mid with Wallis / Libba out Bont more outside and JMac also seemingly playing more attacking.

I don't think he is the type that could run with Merrett and curb him but perhaps it's a role to work on McGrath