PDA

View Full Version : Player Contract Status

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9

Axe Man
12-10-2021, 07:14 PM
Nope he's been elevated. 2 years.

It sounds like he will be elevated but until the club actually comes out and says it officially I won't be updating the list. Their past messaging around the rookie list has often been vague. Also 2 years doesn't mean anything, rookies can get multiple year contracts.

EasternWest
12-10-2021, 07:31 PM
Awesome stuff from Roarke. Has worked his ring off to get better and never gave up. Really happy for him.

Can't agree with this more.

Played 18 games in what was ultimately the second best team of the year and acquitted himself well, all off the back of an uncertain career.

A story in persistence.

The Pie Man
12-10-2021, 07:52 PM
Made up for Roarke, great example to young players coming through to keep grinding.

Also showed the big stage doesn’t phase him.

Roarke-us

jazzadogs
12-10-2021, 08:33 PM
It sounds like he will be elevated but until the club actually comes out and says it officially I won't be updating the list. Their past messaging around the rookie list has often been vague. Also 2 years doesn't mean anything, rookies can get multiple year contracts.

Is he in year one of his current rookie deal? They're a maximum three before they have to be redrafted aren't they?

Does it have any implications for our draft strategy if he is on the main list? Or is it purely a salary cap consideration?

boydogs
13-10-2021, 12:51 AM
Played a great GF, can see him growing in confidence from that, my knock on him was always his ball use with a deer in the headlights approach and rushing his disposal, he's far more settled now

Axe Man
13-10-2021, 10:27 AM
Is he in year one of his current rookie deal? They're a maximum three before they have to be redrafted aren't they?

Does it have any implications for our draft strategy if he is on the main list? Or is it purely a salary cap consideration?

We re-drafted him in the rookie draft last year so yes, 2021 would be year 1 I believe. So he can stay on the rookie list for 2 more years and try and set some sort of record!

I'm not sure what we will do in regards to list spots. Assuming we delist Cavarra and Hayes we will have 4 vacancies. We will then need to add 2 - 4 primary list players and 0 - 2 rookies. Of course 1 or more of the primary list additions could be rookie elevations like Roarke and Sweet.

bornadog
13-10-2021, 10:32 AM
Of course 1 or more of the primary list additions could be rookie elevations like Roarke and Sweet.

I think this is what will happen

Scraggers
13-10-2021, 05:13 PM
Mitch Wallis signs one year contract extension.

Pretty happy with that :)

Grantysghost
13-10-2021, 05:14 PM
Mitch Wallis signs one year contract extension.

Pretty happy with that :)

Good on him :)

Axe Man
13-10-2021, 05:20 PM
Wallis commits to the Kennel (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1025191/wallis-commits-to-the-kennel)

Western Bulldogs vice-captain Mitch Wallis has put pen to paper on a one-year contract extension, committing to the Kennel for season 2022.

The 28-year-old has played 153 games in the red, white and blue, after being drafted as a father-son selection in the 2010 national draft.

“Signing on for season 2022 is something I’m personally very excited for – I absolutely love being part of this football club,” Wallis said.

“I couldn’t be prouder of what we achieved this season, despite missing out on the ultimate prize. I’m looking forward to seeing how we can use that experience to our advantage in 2022.

“I’m going to embrace the challenge of improving elements of my game, as I feel I have a lot to contribute towards the on-field success of the club moving forward.

“I also want to continue to help motivate my teammates to become the best versions of themselves - it’s been amazing to watch my younger teammates develop over recent seasons. I feel I can help guide them to new heights in the future.”

General Manager of List Management and Football Projects, Sam Power, said it was pleasing to retain Wallis’ services.

“Mitch is not only a quality player, but also a quality person – his leadership and determination sets a great example for our playing group both on and off the field,” Power said.

“We value his ability to hit the scoreboard, while his work ethic is second to none.”

divvydan
15-10-2021, 04:13 PM
As expected, Hayes and Cavarra have been delisted

Bulldogs confirm two list changes (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1025767)

The Western Bulldogs have confirmed two changes to their AFL playing list, with Ben Cavarra and Will Hayes advised they will not be offered contracts for season 2022.

Cavarra made one appearance at AFL level this season, activated as the medical substitute in round five against the Gold Coast Suns.

The 25-year-old arrived at VU Whitten Oval with pick 45 in the 2018 NAB AFL Draft.

Hayes, 26, made his AFL debut in round five of the 2019 season against Carlton, after being drafted via the Bulldogs’ VFL pathway with pick 78 in 2018.

He went onto play a further eight games in 2019, adding two more in 2020, to bring his career tally to 11 matches.

General Manager of List Management and Football Projects, Sam Power, thanked the duo for their contributions both on and off the field.

“On behalf of the Club, I’d like to express our gratitude and appreciation for what Ben and Will brought to our playing group over the last three years,” Power said.

“We wish them all the best for the future.”

jeemak
15-10-2021, 05:24 PM
Good on them for having a massive crack at an AFL career and actually getting games. Best of luck for the future lads.

Axe Man
03-11-2021, 04:18 PM
Martin to play on in 2022 (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1028726/martin-to-play-on-in-2022?fbclid=IwAR3FJGpRMV9OObAlp2mLv_SabIV33epx0y1cO8GO1NcOaC PW4ajLFw7JfVg)

Western Bulldogs ruck Stefan Martin will play on in 2022 after signing a one-year contract extension.

It will mark the 34-year-old’s 15th AFL season, and second in the red, white and blue.

From his nine games this year, the Bulldogs won seven of those matches, demonstrating his impact across the ground.

Alternating ruck duties with Tim English, Martin also worked closely with emerging tall Jordon Sweet off-field.

General Manager of List Management and Football Projects, Sam Power, said it was pleasing to have Martin sign on.

“Stef has already had a significant impact on our program both on and off the field in such a short period of time,” Power said.

“To have Stef sign on for a further season is great – he’s an experienced player with a wealth of attributes, and is a great support and mentor for both Tim and Jordon. He gives our midfield group so much confidence when he plays.

“We’re excited to see what he can do in 2022 with hopefully a clear run of injuries.”

Martin currently sits on 199 career matches, having spent five seasons with Melbourne and eight with Brisbane, before signing as a Bulldog during the 2020 AFL Trade Period.

Grantysghost
03-11-2021, 04:20 PM
Crikey. I thought he was cooked.

Not sure about this one.

Axe Man
03-11-2021, 04:24 PM

Not sure about this one.

Unless one of his legs recently fell off he was a certainty to re-sign after we didn't bring another ruck in during trade week.

Mofra
03-11-2021, 04:25 PM
Yeah after failing to land anyone in trade week I don't think we had a choice.
I'm not banking on him playing too much football.

Grantysghost
03-11-2021, 04:27 PM
Unless one of his legs recently fell off he was a certainty to re-sign after we didn't bring another ruck in during trade week.

I was hoping for a left field smoke and mirrors behind the shadows option.

Grantysghost
03-11-2021, 04:28 PM
Yeah after failing to land anyone in trade week I don't think we had a choice.
I'm not banking on him playing too much football.

Little sad really. I love Stef as a human but his body is shot.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
03-11-2021, 04:36 PM
Little sad really. I love Stef as a human but his body is shot.

Yeah some big doubts about his body. I'm hopeful his signing on might be of still some net benefit to the continuing development for Timmy and especially Jordan Sweet.

GVGjr
03-11-2021, 06:04 PM

Not sure about this one.

We don't have a lot of choices given trade period has past. If Martin can stay healthy he will be fine

Nuggety Back Pocket
05-11-2021, 05:35 PM
Yeah some big doubts about his body. I'm hopeful his signing on might be of still some net benefit to the continuing development for Timmy and especially Jordan Sweet.

We really need Jordan Sweet to step up to be a force in the ruck after being badly exposed in the Grand Final.

Grantysghost
05-11-2021, 06:37 PM
We really need Jordan Sweet to step up to be a force in the ruck after being badly exposed in the Grand Final.

I saw him up close at a couple of VFL games this season and he looks like a decent ruck.
Not sure why he didn't get more of a look in, playing Young which I agreed with at the time seems kind of crazy in hindsight now he's left.
Bevo won't learn, playing players in the ruck who don't want to be there makes them leave :cool:

GVGjr
05-11-2021, 06:45 PM
I saw him up close at a couple of VFL games this season and he looks like a decent ruck.
Not sure why he didn't get more of a look in, playing Young which I agreed with at the time seems kind of crazy in hindsight now he's left.
Bevo won't learn, playing players in the ruck who don't want to be there makes them leave :cool:

I know many see ruck man as a waste of list spots but with Martin being injured for a fair chunk of the season, Young being preferred over Sweet late in the season (and now he is gone) plus English not quite reaching the required standard we are taking a big chance if we don't add to the depth. Darcy will take at least two seasons to show his true worth to us.
I'm always interested in the logic of why having a surplus of half back flankers is OK but carrying an extra ruckman potentially compromises the list and is therefor a waster.
Anyway Sweet needs to have a great season for us and I think he might have enough improvement in him to achieve that.

boydogs
06-11-2021, 01:38 AM
Sweet & English will both be 24 by round 1, time for them to step up

1eyedog
06-11-2021, 09:44 AM
Sweet certainly is competitive but he needs to stay involved for longer. Another preason will help. He is naturally aggressive but still lacks confidence which can be worked on. He's a very big boy and strong as well. If he can just learn to make a contribution outside of stoppages he can cement a spot. There's certainly one up for grabs.

bornadog
06-11-2021, 12:46 PM
I know many see ruck man as a waste of list spots but with Martin being injured for a fair chunk of the season, Young being preferred over Sweet late in the season (and now he is gone) plus English not quite reaching the required standard we are taking a big chance if we don't add to the depth. Darcy will take at least two seasons to show his true worth to us.
I'm always interested in the logic of why having a surplus of half back flankers is OK but carrying an extra ruckman potentially compromises the list and is therefor a waster.
Anyway Sweet needs to have a great season for us and I think he might have enough improvement in him to achieve that.

Is that true?

You need the right amount and blend of ruckman on your list.

I agree with MJP, you need to look at drafting/rook list a young ruckman almost every year to see how they develop. There should also be an experienced ruckman around that 28- 32 year old who is durable and a couple of younger ruckman ready to takeover the number one spot from the experienced guy.

What you don't want is a tall for the sake of being tall.

GVGjr
06-11-2021, 12:58 PM
I agree with MJP, you need to look at drafting/rook list a young ruckman almost every year to see how they develop. There should also be an experienced ruckman around that 28- 32 year old who is durable and a couple of younger ruckman ready to takeover the number one spot from the experienced guy.

What you don't want is a tall for the sake of being tall.

All that is true enough and you have suggested around 4 is the right number. At the moment we have 3 with some potential limitations.

We really need some depth at the position and for some reason we chose not to address it during the trade period.
Picking from late in the draft probably isn't the answer either but we may strike it lucky.

Given we are in a genuine premiership window I think it's risky decision if we end up going into the season with just the 3 that we have.

Axe Man
26-11-2021, 10:27 PM
Ryan Gardner elevated to the primary list.

bornadog
30-11-2021, 03:01 PM
Contract talks to fire up for 2014 draft steal ahead of free agency year (https://www.afl.com.au/news/689900/contract-talks-to-fire-up-for-2014-draft-steal-ahead-of-free-agency-year)

THE WESTERN Bulldogs will kickstart negotiations around a contract extension for premiership player Caleb Daniel in the coming weeks, as the diminutive defender prepares to enter the free agency market next year.

Daniel was a member of the side's 2016 premiership team and won the Charles Sutton Medal as the club's best and fairest, as well as being named an All-Australian for the first time, throughout a career-best 2020 season.

After arriving at the club as one of the steals of the 2014 NAB AFL Draft, Daniel is due to hit free agency in 2022 having established himself as one of the Dogs' best players across his 134-game career.

The Bulldogs moved to take their last star free agent, captain Marcus Bontempelli, off the market as soon as possible earlier this season and signed the gun midfielder to a four-year extension in May.

A similar situation could eventuate for Daniel, with talks over a fresh deal set to commence in the coming weeks after a campaign in which the classy half-back helped the side return to the Grand Final.

"They're not underway yet, but we're going to catch up in the next couple of weeks actually," Daniel's manager, Marty Pask, told AFL.com.au's NAB AFL Draft Night Countdown last week.

"The footy club has reached out and we're going to have initial chats and have a discussion around where everything sits. There's no timeframe or timeline and, from our end, we're always happy to sit down and listen.

"He's been a great player for the Bulldogs. He's got himself a fantastic playing CV at that footy club and we're always keen to have a chat to them."

EasternWest
30-11-2021, 04:26 PM
I have no doubt he'll be signed and done promptly.

What a jet.

azabob
30-11-2021, 04:32 PM
I have no doubt he'll be signed and done promptly.

What a jet.

I can't believe he was drafted so long ago.

He is a jet and his footy CV is building nicely.

Hopefully one day commentators won't be lazy and will talk about his on-field achievements first rather than the bleeding obvious with his height and helmet.

bornadog
30-11-2021, 04:49 PM

Hopefully one day commentators won't be lazy and will talk about his on-field achievements first rather than the bleeding obvious with his height and helmet.

Especially Darcy. Sick of belittling him and calling him the Little Man

josie
30-11-2021, 06:38 PM
Especially Darcy. Sick of belittling him and calling him the Little Man

That really annoyed me too. I noted in one of this years’s finals Darcy did not use that term and I wonder if someone advised him to stop.

bornadog
30-11-2021, 06:40 PM
That really annoyed me too. I noted in one of this years' finals Darcy did not use that term and I wonder if someone advised him to stop.

Haha, I did send a message to 7Sport - wonder if that was why?

Twodogs
30-11-2021, 08:09 PM

It only seems like he's been at the club a couple of seasons.

KT31
30-11-2021, 08:49 PM
Haha, I did send a message to 7Sport - wonder if that was why?

As if they would read anything that wasn't directly about themselves.;)

comrade
30-11-2021, 09:22 PM
I would be shattered if we lost Caleb. Pound for pound, just about to most talented player to pull on the Dogs jumper.

An absolute joy to watch.

The Doctor
01-12-2021, 12:07 PM
Axe according to the AFL website Scott is a cat A rookie. I thought he was on the primary list.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/689918/every-club-s-full-afl-list-after-november-29-deadline

meaning we have 36 on the primary list + 6 cat A rookies & 2 cat B rookies

Grantysghost
01-12-2021, 12:18 PM
I would be shattered if we lost Caleb. Pound for pound, just about to most talented player to pull on the Dogs jumper.

An absolute joy to watch.

Agree he's a critical component of our team and a real humble achiever. Unique player, would be so hard to replace we just have to sign him up.

Axe Man
01-12-2021, 12:32 PM
Axe according to the AFL website Scott is a cat A rookie. I thought he was on the primary list.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/689918/every-club-s-full-afl-list-after-november-29-deadline

meaning we have 36 on the primary list + 6 cat A rookies & 2 cat B rookies

I was never 100% sure on Scott's status as it was never made clear. Why I assumed he must have been on the primary list was because if he was a rookie it meant we had 7 category A rookies on the list in 2021 which isn't permitted as far as I understand (maximum is 6).

I guess I will have to believe that link in the absence of evidence to the contrary, thanks Dr.

The Doctor
01-12-2021, 01:55 PM
Western Bulldogs CEO Ameet Bains is confident a handful of the club’s key players will soon sign new contracts.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/11/30/bulldogs-confident-of-locking-away-key-core-in-significant-signing-period/

A number of Dogs including All-Australian trio Jack Macrae, Caleb Daniel and Bailey Dale as well as midfielder Josh Dunkley, young gun Bailey Smith, veteran Jason Johannisen and promising tall Tim English are out of contract in 2022.

Bains insists talks are ongoing with all uncontracted players and is of the belief that the club will manage to hold on to all of the above.

“Certainly a number of those discussions are underway,” he said on SEN’s Dwayne’s World.

“Sam Power, who has done a tremendous job in looking after our list management space over the last few years, is already in proactive discussions with those guys and a couple of others on top of that.

“We do have a bunch of our core players that are out of contract. I think the pleasing thing that Dogs fans and members would love to hear that each of those conversations, has as a starting point, each of the players wanting to stay at the club and commit to the club.

“They’ll each take a different amount of time to get done as you negotiate on the way through, but the fact that everyone wants to remain here is a really positive thing for the club.”

Axe Man
16-02-2022, 10:34 AM
West Coast Eagles to circle Tim English as Western Bulldogs talks stall (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afl-contract-news-2022-west-coast-eagles-to-circle-tim-english-as-western-bulldogs-talks-stall/news-story/03c35a3550453a809857602de7ef9f66)

An unsigned blossoming ruckman will be firmly in West Coast’s sights after his partner signed a WA netball contract and bought a property in Fremantle.

Tim English’s contract talks will drift into the middle of the season as the Western Bulldogs big man seeks to establish himself as one of footy’s dominant young ruckmen.

English’s manager, Andrew McDougall, confirmed to the Herald Sun on Tuesday his client would play out the early stages of the season before considering a new deal for next year and beyond.

“He loves the club and he loves his teammates but he won’t be rushing into an early decision,” McDougall said.

While the 24-year-old Grand Final ruckman is happy at the Western Bulldogs and is keen for premiership success, there are several complicating factors that could see a decision on his deal drift late into season.

West Coast is expected to come hard at the Western Australian English given the Eagles age profile — Nic Naitanui turns 32 in May, Josh Kennedy is in his final year and uncertainty remains about Jack Darling’s future.

English’s partner, Rudi Ellis, has signed a two-year deal with Super Netball team West Coast Fever and has recently bought property in Fremantle.

The Western Bulldogs have made overtures about a new deal but English, who started the 2021 season brilliantly but tailed off after a mid-season concussion, will instead wait until later in the season.

English, who dropped weight last year to be a more mobile ruck-forward, is determined to become the lead Bulldogs ruckman this season.

He missed five games and never quite rediscovered his form in 2021 after a nasty concussion, resulting from friendly fire from housemate Aaron Naughton.

But the 205cm mobile ruckman’s best football is exceptional given his contested marking skills and capacity to win high possession numbers working around the ground.

The Bulldogs have a long list of stars out of contract in 2022 including Jack Macrae, Bailey Dale, Caleb Daniel, Bailey Smith, Josh Dunkley, Jason Johannisen and Toby McLean.

Macrae, Daniel and Smith will join English in wanting a significant contract, with Smith’s barnstorming finals series establishing him as one of footy’s most brilliant and marketable players.

Fremantle has the brilliant Sean Darcy as their long-term ruck prospect and while West Coast has 200cm youngsters Bailey Williams and the versatile Harry Edwards their succession plan is not yet set.

English’s early start to the season was so impressive AFL legend Kevin Bartlett suggested he could become the next Paul Salmon.

But the Dogs lost the midfield ascendancy in the third quarter of the Grand Final as Max Gawn and then Luke Jackson played an exceptional tandem act to lay the platform for their midfield.

Grantysghost
16-02-2022, 10:37 AM
English’s partner, Rudi Ellis, has signed a two-year deal with Super Netball team West Coast Fever and has recently bought property in Fremantle.

I don't like this.

bornadog
16-02-2022, 10:39 AM
I don't like this.

She was in Queensland for two years

azabob
16-02-2022, 10:44 AM
Why would West Coast target Tim English and not Luke Jackson?

EasternWest
16-02-2022, 11:14 AM

A good question, but I would've thought Melbourne had moved Jackson into the "absolutely ungettable" category.

English is infinitely more gettable. I dunno, I like Tim but if he went elsewhere it wouldn't worry me that much.

GVGjr
16-02-2022, 11:17 AM

Is Luke out of contract this year?
Perhaps they think Tim is gettable and Luke isn't.

jeemak
16-02-2022, 11:20 AM
What's the WA property market like? Seems like a big call to purchase there if there's no long term intent to stay, unless of course investment is lucrative/ attractive in that market.

Axe Man
16-02-2022, 11:40 AM
Is Luke out of contract this year?
Perhaps they think Tim is gettable and Luke isn't.

Yes Jackson is out of contract but you would be shocked if they let him go with Gawn now over 30. As you say Tim likely more gettable.

Grantysghost
16-02-2022, 12:17 PM
What's the WA property market like? Seems like a big call to purchase there if there's no long term intent to stay, unless of course investment is lucrative/ attractive in that market.

She's born in Sydney. Hmm, wonder if her family is in Perth. Just thinking about any need to be close to family.

Otherwise could just be investment reasons as you entertain.

bornadog
16-02-2022, 12:32 PM
A good question, but I would've thought Melbourne had moved Jackson into the "absolutely ungettable" category.

English is infinitely more gettable. I dunno, I like Tim but if he went elsewhere it wouldn't worry me that much.

I would be really pissed off if we lost Tim.

Axe Man
16-02-2022, 12:53 PM
She's born in Sydney. Hmm, wonder if her family is in Perth. Just thinking about any need to be close to family.

Otherwise could just be investment reasons as you entertain.

I read a quote from her when she signed that she has family and friends in Perth. I would take that to be extended family rather than immediate, but I'm only guessing. I wonder if this is Tim's or her parent's investment as netball players don't make big money.

I would be really pissed off if we lost Tim.

Will you be pissed on if he stays? :D

azabob
16-02-2022, 01:55 PM

I agree if we lost English it would not be the end of the world.

What would suck is we have lost all our leverage. If Power thought English was a 50/50 chance of going we should have pulled the trigger and traded him last trade period.

Mantis
16-02-2022, 03:27 PM
I agree if we lost English it would not be the end of the world.

What would suck is we have lost all our leverage. If Power thought English was a 50/50 chance of going we should have pulled the trigger and traded him last trade period.

Yeah, nah... with the premiership window very much open we are in a much better position with Tim on our list than on WC's.

Happy to re-visit this at the end of the year if Tim's performances aren't improving, but Tim playing well gives us a better chance to win the comp which is the aim and if we don't get full market value by hanging on to him this year, then so be it.

azabob
16-02-2022, 03:50 PM
Yeah, nah... with the premiership window very much open we are in a much better position with Tim on our list than on WC's.

Happy to re-visit this at the end of the year if Tim's performances aren't improving, but Tim playing well gives us a better chance to win the comp which is the aim and if we don't get full market value by hanging on to him this year, then so be it.

Yeah, nah... hey?!

it all depends what eagles or dockers would give up for English. If the trade was for a readymade ruckman who could walk straight into the number one ruck role i'd look to do the deal.

comrade
16-02-2022, 04:26 PM
If we got the Eagles’ Bailey Williams and something on top in return for English, I’d pull the trigger. He’s never going to be a dominant #1.

Grantysghost
16-02-2022, 04:29 PM
Are we forgetting how young English is?

Rucks do take time.

I'm confident he can come good and be the top dog.

Mofra
16-02-2022, 04:47 PM
Yeah, nah... hey?!

it all depends what eagles or dockers would give up for English. If the trade was for a readymade ruckman who could walk straight into the number one ruck role i'd look to do the deal.
Freo are set.
If the Eagles had one they wouldn't be chasing English.

bornadog
16-02-2022, 05:08 PM
Are we forgetting how young English is?

Rucks do take time.

I'm confident he can come good and he the top dog.

We are screaming for ruck depth, yet people are prepared to get rid of Tim. How many 205cm talls can roam the ground like Tim. It is not just about tap outs you know.

However, with Steph in his last year, we need to target someone mature who can help out.

soupman
16-02-2022, 05:12 PM
We are screaming for ruck depth, yet people are prepared to get rid of Tim. How many 205cm talls can roam the ground like Tim. It is not just about tap outs you know.

However, with Steph in his last year, we need to target someone mature who can help out.

I'd argue we are screaming out for one actually decent ruck, and the lack of depth is another lesser (but still significant) concern.

English is a very good player, no doubt, but as an actual ruckman he is yet to impress thus far.

EasternWest
16-02-2022, 06:12 PM

He can't ruck *shrug*.

chef
16-02-2022, 06:45 PM
Can we trade him to Freo for Sean Darcy please.

Not fussed if Tim goes as hes really not a very good ruck, hes pretty much just a tall mid.

azabob
16-02-2022, 08:12 PM
Freo are set.
If the Eagles had one they wouldn't be chasing English.

Another club could’ve played a role.

azabob
16-02-2022, 08:14 PM
Can we trade him to Freo for Sean Darcy please.

Not fussed if Tim goes as hes really not a very good ruck, hes pretty much just a tall mid.

Sadly Freo are not that silly to let Darcy go

Axe Man
10-03-2022, 10:09 AM
Why was Tim unhappy last year, not wanting to play second fiddle to Martin?

PLAYER MANAGER PROVIDES UPDATE ON OFF-CONTRACT BULLDOGS TALL (https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/03/09/player-manager-provides-update-on-off-contract-bulldogs-tall/)

Corporate Sports Australia player manager, Colin Young, says out-of-contract Western Bulldogs ruckman Tim English is “extremely happy” at Whitten Oval.

English, who is managed by Andrew McDougall from CSA, is one of several big-name Bulldogs players coming off-contract in 2022.

The 24-year-old, a West Australian native who was drafted out of South Fremantle in 2016, is focused on getting more ruck minutes in the upcoming season.

“I know he (McDougall) caught up with him earlier in the week and Tim was at this stage talking about how excited he was about the season, I think he was going to get more of a ruck roll from what we’ve heard, and he really wants to win that premiership,” Young told SEN’s Dwayne’s World.

“I think that’s the main thing on the agenda right now, but you’re not Blind Freddy, Nic Nat (Nic Naitanui) is coming to an end at West Coast, there were a couple of Melbourne clubs that reached out last year as Tim was unhappy.

“But at the moment, he’s extremely happy. He’s mates with the ‘Astronaut’ (Aaron Naughton), they live not far from each other and he’s loving Melbourne at the moment.

“It’s going to be an interesting year. I know the Bulldogs have got four or five superstars out of contract. I think Andrew is catching up with Sam Power (Dogs list boss) either today, tomorrow or Monday at the latest to have a chat to see where they’re sitting as well because they’ve got a fair bit on their plate.

“I think the next couple of weeks as we get into the season, things will start to pan out.”

English played 22 games last year, including the Dogs’ Grand Final loss to Melbourne.

Grantysghost
10-03-2022, 10:18 AM
Must've been the ruck "roll".

Sounds tasty.

Maybe the concussion didn't help his mental health either.

azabob
10-03-2022, 10:32 AM
Why was Tim unhappy last year, not wanting to play second fiddle to Martin?

It is kind of concerning that both he and Dunkley who are first choice players are unhappy or have been in recent times, enough so for it to become public.

bornadog
10-03-2022, 10:35 AM
It is kind of concerning that both he and Dunkley who are first choice players are unhappy or have been in recent times, enough so for it to become public.

Throw away lines

Axe Man
10-03-2022, 10:47 AM
Must've been the ruck "roll".

https://i.postimg.cc/28Z1zr4y/rick-astly-rick-rolled.gif (https://postimages.org/)

boydogs
11-03-2022, 12:54 AM
Way too much trade talk for March

Axe Man
11-03-2022, 10:41 AM
Way too much trade talk for March

It's contract talk, it is the contract thread after all...

EasternWest
11-03-2022, 11:49 AM

Since when?

Axe Man
11-03-2022, 11:58 AM
Since when?

Did you stumble here by accident? I think you're lost.

EasternWest
11-03-2022, 12:36 PM
Did you stumble here by accident? I think you're lost.

That's a bit existential for me to be dealing with before midday.

bornadog
11-03-2022, 05:51 PM
Will this AA Dog re-sign? Why Bailey is in 'no rush' (https://www.afl.com.au/news/717243/will-this-aa-dog-re-sign-why-bailey-is-in-no-rush-)

DASHING defender Bailey Dale plans to let his football do the talking when the AFL season begins next week, content to let contract negotiations with the Western Bulldogs play out in the background.

The Bulldogs face a fight to keep their talented list together after last year's Grand Final appearance, with Dale and fellow Therabody AFL All-Australians Jack Macrae and Caleb Daniel among a host of stars out of contract at the end of 2022.

Bailey Smith, Josh Dunkley, Tim English, Alex Keath and Jason Johannisen are also nearing the end of their existing deals.

Dale's bargaining power is at an all-time high after his switch to defence resulted in a breakout season last year.

But the 25-year-old free agent insists he is in no hurry to sign a new deal and will leave negotiations to his manager for the time being.

"I just want to start the year really well," Dale said. "I've been a bit inconsistent over my career and it's a great opportunity to try back up a really good year.

"I'm in no rush, it's going to take care of itself eventually and when it does I'll be happy."

Dale spent his first six years with the Bulldogs as a forward and wingman before a snap decision by the coaching staff to send him to half-back on the eve of last season.

The move paid huge dividends as Dale rapidly became one of the competition's most damaging rebound players.

But he concedes the defensive side of his game is still an area for improvement as the Dogs look to cover the loss of retired 2016 premiership skipper Easton Wood.

"It's that one-on-one side of the game and really trying to develop that aerial side to be able to come across and help my teammates," Dale said.

"There's just a few little things that I've been trying to work on over the pre-season and hopefully they can come out this year."

jeemak
11-03-2022, 09:51 PM
Bevo made it really clear we need Tim to play ruck this year, so it may have just been him being a bit unhappy that he wasn't able to play in the position he wanted.

Not a big deal.

boydogs
11-03-2022, 10:19 PM

Sorry no offence intended. Just seems like a media beatup to me that players are leaving because they haven't signed for next year before round 1 of this year has even started

bornadog
17-03-2022, 05:18 PM
DOGS GUN SET FOR BIG DEAL (https://www.afl.com.au/news/719339/gun-dog-close-to-mega-deal-who-wants-more-darcy-)

WESTERN Bulldogs star Jack Macrae is closing in on a new long-term deal that will take him off the free agency list.

The gun midfielder, who loomed as one of the Dogs' priority re-signings this year, is understood to be edging towards a contract extension of likely four or five more seasons.

Macrae, 27, was elevated to be the Bulldogs' vice-captain for this season after three consecutive years in the Therabody AFL All-Australian team and was last year the competition's leading ball-winner. He was also named the Gary Ayres Medallist last year as the best player of the finals.

His phenomenal consistency has seen him play 185 games since joining the Dogs as the No.6 pick at the 2012 NAB AFL Draft, with his 200th game set for 2022.

Macrae was a key player in the Dogs' breakthrough 2016 premiership and his impending signature will lock him in to the club long-term as it strives to claim another flag with its current strong list, and he said in February he was keen to be a one-club player.

"It's no secret how much I love the club and how proud I am to represent this club every week. I obviously want to retire as a Western Bulldogs player," Macrae said in February.

GVGjr
17-03-2022, 06:15 PM
He deserves a pay hike and a long deal.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
21-03-2022, 10:47 AM
Reported now, Macrae has signed a 5 year extension.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/724367/bulldog-ball-magnet-off-the-table-after-signing-whopping-extension

Grantysghost
21-03-2022, 10:49 AM

https://www.afl.com.au/news/724367/bulldog-ball-magnet-off-the-table-after-signing-whopping-extension

Awesome news!

azabob
21-03-2022, 10:57 AM

Western Bulldogs vice-captain Jack Macrae is set to finish his career as a one-club player after signing a five-year contract extension, keeping the midfielder at the Club until at least the end of the 2027 season.

The 27-year-old has become one of the most prominent midfielders in the game, claiming his third straight All-Australian jacket and the Gary Ayres Medal in 2021.

Drafted to the Club at pick six in 2012, Macrae has already carved out a decorated career, playing 185 games for the Western Bulldogs, including a premiership in 2016.

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1083245/macrae-a-bulldog-for-life

Axe Man
21-03-2022, 11:02 AM
That's the easy one out of the way, the hard work is ahead for Sam now.

Mantis
21-03-2022, 11:12 AM
That's the easy one out of the way, the hard work is ahead for Sam now.

Yep... whilst it's great news to lock down Jacko for an extended period, he really was an easy kill and we all know that the signatures of Tim, Baz & Dunks is how Sam earns his $$.

bornadog
21-03-2022, 12:01 PM
Western Bulldogs vice-captain Jack Macrae is set to finish his career as a one-club player after signing a five-year contract extension, keeping the midfielder at the Club until at least the end of the 2027 season.

The 27-year-old has become one of the most prominent midfielders in the game, claiming his third straight All-Australian jacket and the Gary Ayres Medal in 2021.

Drafted to the Club at pick six in 2012, Macrae has already carved out a decorated career, playing 185 games for the Western Bulldogs, including a premiership in 2016.

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1083245/macrae-a-bulldog-for-life

Excellent stuff.

Vred
21-03-2022, 12:17 PM
Great news

EasternWest
21-03-2022, 12:49 PM

Such a gun. I even think we underrate him.

Happy Days
21-03-2022, 01:16 PM
Good stuff. Never in doubt but also of the guys out of contract was likely (or at least should be) the biggest financial domino to fall.

Do Baz next.

bornadog
21-03-2022, 01:20 PM
https://youtu.be/9GfaLRQeB8E

Eastdog
21-03-2022, 01:31 PM

Great news!

The Doctor
21-03-2022, 02:26 PM
Fantabulous!

comrade
21-03-2022, 02:52 PM
A no fuss signing early in the year (more likely on slight unders based on output than squeezing us for every dollar), guys like Macrae are worth their weight in gold in terms of list management.

Complete opposite to Dunks.

angelopetraglia
21-03-2022, 03:20 PM
How good. No fuss, just like the way he plays the game. Bulldog for life. Love Jacko.

https://content.api.news/v3/images/bin/c1a8976632bf3bc6ee20f0941fb60076

azabob
21-03-2022, 03:32 PM
A no fuss signing early in the year (more likely on slight unders based on output than squeezing us for every dollar), guys like Macrae are worth their weight in gold in terms of list management.

Complete opposite to Dunks.

It is an interesting comparison.

From all reports Macrae is playing in his preferred position most weeks which means he's fairly happy.

Dunkley is not playing in his preferred position and it can cause him angst.

Typically a happy employee will not necessarily chase the dollars or look to leave where as an employee who is not 100% happy will look around and look at other drivers such as dollars.

Axe Man
21-03-2022, 04:04 PM

I don't think that's the case anymore. I could be mistaken but thought Dunkley played majority midfield on Wednesday night?

bornadog
21-03-2022, 04:21 PM
I don't think that's the case anymore. I could be mistaken but thought Dunkley played majority midfield on Wednesday night?

I think he took up all of Libba's normal role.

azabob
21-03-2022, 04:24 PM

I will have to take your word for it, I didn't see the game.

ratsmac
21-03-2022, 05:22 PM
How can you not love Macrae! Leaves nothing on the field. Awesome news

Mofra
21-03-2022, 05:26 PM
It is an interesting comparison.

From all reports Macrae is playing in his preferred position most weeks which means he's fairly happy.

Typically a happy employee will not necessarily chase the dollars or look to leave where as an employee who is not 100% happy will look around and look at other drivers such as dollars.
English has indicated he wants to play ruck, so perhaps it bodes well for his re-signing chances.

HOSE B ROMERO
21-03-2022, 06:05 PM
Mr consistency and at such an elite level. 3 All australians so far and by the end of his career will go down as a legend of the club. Doesn't do the spectacular but i love that he is one of us.

Go_Dogs
21-03-2022, 08:29 PM
Macrae is like the new Moz. Heart and soul player who just gives his all for the betterment of the team and club every day. Stoked we’ve locked it away, a great endorsement for others who we are negotiating with, and means we can now sharpen our focus and have a better line of sight in our financials.

The Doctor
24-03-2022, 09:51 PM
Jon Ralph says

Caleb Daniel about to sign major deal

Keath also likely

Axe Man
25-03-2022, 11:13 AM
Dogs set to lock away star on monster deal (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl-round-2-western-bulldogs-v-carlton-all-the-latest-news-action-and-fallout/news-story/36fca09c80bc062bc25a9dbdff577371?fbclid=IwAR2NHNV8kohFNnsfG7 _PFsN4UGhZn09eLeFEvSuKfZyeKYwJoxtFfT9rTrE)

Western Bulldogs defender Caleb Daniel is on the verge of a bumper free agency deal with the club confident it has cap space to retain its array of out-of-contract stars.

News Corp understands 25-year-old Daniel is extremely close to signing a new long-term deal likely to be at least five seasons, making him a Dog for life.

The Bulldogs this week signed All Australian midfielder Jackson Macrae on a new five-year deal but he is only the first of a long list of priority signings.

Wingman Bailey Smith, rebounding defender Bailey Dale, ruck-forward Tim English, prolific midfielder Josh Dunkley and defender Alex Keath are all out of contract.

Talks are ongoing with all of their management companies but English and Dale, in particular, are holding off talks for some time as they maximise their worth.

The brilliant, helmeted rebounding-defender stands at only 168cm but has built an impressive resume, including the 2016 premiership and All Australian honours and the Charles Sutton Medal in 2020.

The No. 46 selection in the 2014 national draft will join Macrae in passing up his free agency rights to gain security on a contract that takes him past 30 with the club.

Former Adelaide defender Alex Keath has a games-based trigger in his contract that will see him locked in until the end of 2023.

He has played 18 and 23 games in his first two seasons at the club and will be joined by ex-Hawks forward Tim O’Brien in coming weeks as the club adds an intercepting defender to replace former captain Easton Wood.

The Dogs’ feedback from player managers is that their clients are keen to remain with the club under Luke Beveridge.

Beveridge’s outburst last week saw calls for more support for the senior coach, given it was a pattern of behaviour, but the club is adamant its support structures are sufficient.

Both football boss Chris Grant and chief executive Ameet Bains had spoken to Beveridge in the lead-in to the press conference about the way in which he would deal with the story of Lachie Hunter’s demotion.

In consultation with that pair and communications boss Adrian Ceddia, Beveridge had agreed he would park his emotions and move on.

Instead, he went out a long rant and attempted to throw reporter Tom Morris out of the press conference.

The Dogs believe the outburst and subsequent discussions over his behaviour will be a circuit-breaker for Beveridge, who has owned his part in the episode.

He told his weekly press conference he had never felt more energised, with the club believing its support levels for the head coach do not need to be boosted.

Axe Man
31-03-2022, 11:50 AM
DOGS STAR KEEN TO STAY (https://www.afl.com.au/news/730167/unsigned-dogs-star-going-nowhere-dees-look-to-lock-in-flag-hero)

YOUNG Western Bulldogs star Bailey Smith is on the club's list of priority re-signings this season and says he has no intentions of leaving the Kennel.

Smith's run of 68 consecutive games since his round one debut in 2019 came to an end last week when he missed the Dogs' loss to Carlton with a hip complaint. He has been picked to return against the Swans on Thursday night.

The powerful midfielder's two-year contract expires at the end of this season and although he is unlikely to open talks until deeper into the season, the 21-year-old said he was keen to recommit to the Bulldogs.

"I'm just trying to play this year as well as I can. I obviously don't want to go anywhere. I leave it to my manager to talk about and he tells me when it gets serious and when to put pen to paper and I'll say 'Done'. I'm just there to sign. That's the thing. I don't want to go anywhere else," Smith told AFL.com.au this month.

"It's more something I think we'll deal with around mid-to-later in the year."

Smith has been an instant hit at AFL level since being the Dogs' No.7 pick at the 2018 NAB AFL Draft.

Many of his contemporaries in that year's draft – Carlton's Sam Walsh and St Kilda's Max King (four years), Gold Coast's Ben King, Port Adelaide's Connor Rozee and Zak Butters and North Melbourne's Tarryn Thomas (all two years) – have already inked contract extensions beyond this year having all started their career with two-year deals through to the end of 2022.

Smith represents an interesting marketplace value given his excellent – and growing – football credentials as well as his wide off-field marketing appeal. – Callum Twomey

Grantysghost
31-03-2022, 11:51 AM
Give him a 7 year deal.

Happy Days
31-03-2022, 12:13 PM
Baz is the sort of player that ruins your whole future if you lose him. He’s not only a complete gun but he’s the AFL’s next capital S Superstar too.

bornadog
31-03-2022, 12:17 PM
DOGS STAR KEEN TO STAY (https://www.afl.com.au/news/730167/unsigned-dogs-star-going-nowhere-dees-look-to-lock-in-flag-hero)

YOUNG Western Bulldogs star Bailey Smith is on the club's list of priority re-signings this season and says he has no intentions of leaving the Kennel.

Smith's run of 68 consecutive games since his round one debut in 2019 came to an end last week when he missed the Dogs' loss to Carlton with a hip complaint. He has been picked to return against the Swans on Thursday night.

The powerful midfielder's two-year contract expires at the end of this season and although he is unlikely to open talks until deeper into the season, the 21-year-old said he was keen to recommit to the Bulldogs.

"I'm just trying to play this year as well as I can. I obviously don't want to go anywhere. I leave it to my manager to talk about and he tells me when it gets serious and when to put pen to paper and I'll say 'Done'. I'm just there to sign. That's the thing. I don't want to go anywhere else," Smith told AFL.com.au this month.

"It's more something I think we'll deal with around mid-to-later in the year."

Smith has been an instant hit at AFL level since being the Dogs' No.7 pick at the 2018 NAB AFL Draft.

Many of his contemporaries in that year's draft – Carlton's Sam Walsh and St Kilda's Max King (four years), Gold Coast's Ben King, Port Adelaide's Connor Rozee and Zak Butters and North Melbourne's Tarryn Thomas (all two years) – have already inked contract extensions beyond this year having all started their career with two-year deals through to the end of 2022.

Smith represents an interesting marketplace value given his excellent – and growing – football credentials as well as his wide off-field marketing appeal. – Callum Twomey

Great News

comrade
31-03-2022, 12:28 PM
Very happy to lock Caleb in forever. Love that guy.

The Bulldogs Bite
01-04-2022, 11:49 AM
We have some serious talent coming OOC.

It's a huge task for Power and co to ensure we sign the likes of Macrae (done), Smith, Daniel, Dunkley, English, Dale and others.

Happy Days
06-04-2022, 01:51 PM
Next door reckons English’s partner bought a house in Melbourne. So hopefully we only have to worry about him getting poached for normal money reasons and not homesick ones.

azabob
06-04-2022, 02:04 PM
Very happy to lock Caleb in forever. Love that guy.

Wonder if this actually happened?

Vred
06-04-2022, 11:51 PM
Wonder if this actually happened?

Based on current form I would hold off signing him if I was the Dogs, again, overall a great player but *!*!*!*! his not doing well this year.

bornadog
07-04-2022, 10:06 AM
Based on current form I would hold off signing him if I was the Dogs, again, overall a great player but *!*!*!*! his not doing well this year.

mmmmm .... I tend to disagree. He has had three pretty good games, although not 4 quarter games.

Axe Man
07-04-2022, 10:11 AM

Can you imagine actually doing this to a player of Daniel's quality? He would rightly walk straight out the door. It would be ludicrous list management to withdraw a contract offer because of a couple of games perhaps not at his absolute best.

EasternWest
07-04-2022, 11:21 AM
Can you imagine actually doing this to a player of Daniel's quality? He would rightly walk straight out the door. It would be ludicrous list management to withdraw a contract offer because of a couple of games perhaps not at his absolute best.

Hey mate you've had three pretty good games and one poor one. Because we expect perfection every game were not offering you a contract until we see some value for money.

Caleb: "ok, seeya".

Happy Days
07-04-2022, 11:41 AM
Yeah but if Caleb leaves at least we could all stop being so embarrassed and ashamed of having one of our best players be short. Did you guys know he’s short? Could you imagine if he gets isolated on a tall forward even though it never happens?

Much like Bruce the critiquing that Caleb gets for not being good the Right Way or whatever is mind blowing.

Bulldog Joe
07-04-2022, 11:58 AM

Kind of like we did back in 2010 with Callan Ward, while we waited to see if he could shake off the effects of OP

EasternWest
07-04-2022, 03:00 PM
Kind of like we did back in 2010 with Callan Ward, while we waited to see if he could shake off the effects of OP

No you got it wrong he's a treacherous villain.

Happy Days
05-05-2022, 08:25 PM
Tom Browne reporting English is certain to stay.

EasternWest
05-05-2022, 08:51 PM

Good god no. Say it ain't so.

Happy Days
05-05-2022, 08:53 PM
Good god no. Say it ain't so.

Yeah I felt way better before reading it but if I had to see it so do all of you.

EasternWest
05-05-2022, 09:18 PM
Yeah I felt way better before reading it but if I had to see it so do all of you.

Cruel and unusual punishment.

Grantysghost
05-05-2022, 09:26 PM

Argh crap. Hope we can get a good trade.

bornadog
05-05-2022, 09:44 PM
Argh crap. Hope we can get a good trade.

For Tom Browne? :D

Grantysghost
05-05-2022, 10:20 PM
For Tom Browne? :D

Struggle to give him away

angelopetraglia
05-05-2022, 11:25 PM
Jon Ralph also running with it.

Bulldogs ruckman Tim English has rubbed salt in the wounds of West Coast by resisting the lure of home and stating his intention to remain at Whitten Oval.

Tim English has committed his future to the Western Bulldogs despite strong interest from West Coast in luring the 24-year-old back home.

English has told his management group he is happy and settled in Melbourne despite the pull of home and his partner Rudi living in Perth as a professional netballer.

As revealed by the Herald Sun on Saturday, English was intent on rebuffing the Eagles when his management group flew into Melbourne on Monday for a series of talks with AFL clubs.

They have spoken to Western Bulldogs list boss Sam Power twice in recent weeks when the Dogs were in Perth and again this week.

While both parties will need to haggle on a deal — either a two-year deal to free agency or a long-term deal of up to five seasons — he is intent on remaining with the Dogs.

At his age and with his ability he would likely command a deal of over $700,000 per season.

Luke Beveridge wasn’t able to select English again this week as he misses again with a hamstring injury but his early season form has been stellar.

The Dogs have always been confident of retaining Josh Dunkley, Caleb Daniel and Bailey Smith but English had officially put off talks in the early rounds of the season to assess his future.

English’s manager Andrew McDougall, of Corporate Sports Australia, said in the pre-season: “He loves the club and he loves his teammates but he won’t be rushing into an early decision.”

The Dogs chose not to add another established ruckman in the off-season and have been rewarded with more consistency from English, who battled in the decisive third quarter of the Grand Final.

Go_Dogs
06-05-2022, 10:08 AM
Good news. Let’s get the deal done and move forward. Important player for us, and we have a great future together I suspect.

Bumper Bulldogs
10-05-2022, 08:42 AM
Reminds me of the Ward contract negotiations

jeemak
11-05-2022, 03:54 AM
This is a fantastic resource. Where has it been hiding?

I still think we lose Dunkley, but of course I would. However, if he's the only casualty of this crunch and we get some high draft capital for him then so be it.

Mantis
11-05-2022, 06:23 AM

I still think we lose Dunkley, but of course I would. However, if he's the only casualty of this crunch and we get some high draft capital for him then so be it.

I’m becoming more comfortable with that outcome… we’re absolutely loaded in one area of the ground for talent with limitations elsewhere and something has to give. If the advantage we had in the midfield meant we were certain to win the battle in that area of the ground, and it meant more wins then we continue to keep rolling, but there’s shortcomings in there which mean other areas of the ground are negatively impacted and we lose more games than we should.

Of course we want to keep our ‘A’ graders together, but we’re also in the business of winning… and we need to give ourselves the best opportunity to do so, so freeing up some capital wins out.

azabob
11-05-2022, 10:55 AM
I’m becoming more comfortable with that outcome… we’re absolutely loaded in one area of the ground for talent with limitations elsewhere and something has to give. If the advantage we had in the midfield meant we were certain to win the battle in that area of the ground, and it meant more wins then we continue to keep rolling, but there’s shortcomings in there which mean other areas of the ground are negatively impacted and we lose more games than we should.

Of course we want to keep our ‘A’ graders together, but we’re also in the business of winning… and we need to give ourselves the best opportunity to do so, so freeing up some capital wins out.

Spot on with your summary.

We are loaded with individual talent in the midfield but as a collective we are not getting the required outcomes often enough.

Grantysghost
11-05-2022, 11:11 AM

Everything I've seen/read indicate he's close to staying?

I wouldn't be at all surprised if we lock him away on a long term (5 years?) deal.

With Libba towards the end I think it's important Dunks stays.

bornadog
11-05-2022, 11:13 AM

I wouldn't be at all surprised if we lock him away on a long term (5 years?) deal.

Totally agree

azabob
11-05-2022, 11:59 AM
Young players will only sign short term deals to get them to free agency and then cash in.

Grantysghost
11-05-2022, 12:07 PM
Young players will only sign short term deals to get them to free agency and then cash in.

When is Dunkley eligible do we have some sort of guide or thread that has this info?

Edit actually that joke didn't work.

He's eligible in 2024 I believe. (restricted) 2026 full.

So maybe he signs until 2026? (3 yr deal).

Axe Man
11-05-2022, 12:20 PM
When is Dunkley eligible do we have some sort of guide or thread that has this info?

He's eligible in 2024 I believe. (restricted) 2026 full.

So maybe he signs until 2026? (3 yr deal).

Yeah he will be eligible at the end of 2023 (8 years service).

Mantis
11-05-2022, 12:29 PM

So we finish up Libba at the end of this year then because we can't continue on as is? Especially when we will have to shell out extra $$$ to re-sign all of our out of contract players (which include 5 of our best 10) who will want (I assume) to get paid market rates for players of their quality.

azabob
11-05-2022, 12:42 PM
So we finish up Libba at the end of this year then because we can't continue on as is? Especially when we will have to shell out extra $$$ to re-sign all of our out of contract players (which include 5 of our best 10) who will want (I assume) to get paid market rates for players of their quality.

Well that isn't happening as Liberatore is contracted until end of 2023.

I'm not sold on Dunkley replacing Liberatore - Why hasn't Dunkley already taken his place?

It has been discussed a lot on this board over the past 12-18 months about Liberatore longevity and how he is supposedly struggling with his body but he still our best contested ball winner.

Grantysghost
11-05-2022, 12:45 PM

I wouldn't he's playing well. But end of his contract.

Would he be on a lot?

EasternWest
11-05-2022, 02:32 PM

Point of order that joke is always funny

azabob
11-05-2022, 02:50 PM

Even when it is delivered by uncultured swine.

Mantis
11-05-2022, 03:17 PM
I wouldn't he's playing well. But end of his contract.

Would he be on a lot?

I would think he'd be on $450-500k.

He's still playing well, but could others not fill that spot and do a good job?... and the money free'd up allows to bring in a player in a required spot.

Not saying it needs to be Libba, but the structure of list needs refining.

Grantysghost
11-05-2022, 03:19 PM
I would think he'd be on $450-500k.

He's still playing well, but could others not fill that spot and do a good job?... and the money free'd up allows to bring in a player in a required spot.

Not saying it needs to be Libba, but the structure of list needs refining.

Agree we certainly need to balance things up.

Grantysghost
11-05-2022, 03:26 PM

Yeah but I stuffed it up by going with free agency in the build up.

I should leave it to the experts.

EasternWest
11-05-2022, 03:58 PM
Even when it is delivered by uncultured swine.

Swill you barbarian, swill.

And yes.

Sedat
12-05-2022, 10:27 AM
We are loaded with individual talent in the midfield but as a collective we are not getting the required outcomes often enough.
As true as this statement is, it makes it all the more galling that our greatest area of strength absolutely cost us a premiership when the whips were cracking in the GF. It wasn't Roarke/Gardner/Schache/Hannan or any of our low profile role players.

The Bulldogs Bite
12-05-2022, 10:54 AM
As true as this statement is, it makes it all the more galling that our greatest area of strength absolutely cost us a premiership when the whips were cracking in the GF. It wasn't Roarke/Gardner/Schache/Hannan or any of our low profile role players.

Much as I've tried to shy away from it, this still gives me nightmares.

How did we pack it in after being 19 points up, halfway through the third QTR of a GF? Rhetorical question because we know how, but that performance (or lack of) is career defining for some.

We seriously escaped criticism for that and seemed to cushion ourselves with excuses. It was unacceptable.

Grantysghost
12-05-2022, 11:02 AM

How did we pack it in after being 19 points up, halfway through the third QTR of a GF? Rhetorical question because we know how, but that performance (or lack of) is career defining for some.

We seriously escaped criticism for that and seemed to cushion ourselves with excuses. It was unacceptable.

Has there ever been a bigger qtr and a half slaughter in any game?

azabob
12-05-2022, 11:30 AM

Yes and yes.

I'm still staggered that we haven't reviewed the game or at least the 2nd half or even adjusted the team on field.

bornadog
12-05-2022, 01:02 PM
Yes and yes.

I'm still staggered that we haven't reviewed the game or at least the 2nd half or even adjusted the team on field.

We have adjusted the centre bounce clearances where we were beaten, we are now top 5

azabob
12-05-2022, 05:07 PM
We have adjusted the centre bounce clearances where we were beaten, we are now top 5

Thanks BAD. It isn't exactly working out for us though, is it?

bornadog
12-05-2022, 05:25 PM
Thanks BAD. It isn't exactly working out for us though, is it?

With 14 players unavailable last week, including at least 10 of them best 22 (half the team) makes it difficult.

Bulldog Joe
12-05-2022, 05:55 PM
With 14 players unavailable last week, including at least 10 of them best 22 (half the team) makes it difficult.

We are struggling on the injury front but 10 of best 22 is a bit of a stretch.

Missing through injury etc.

Mitch Wallis (fringe)
Bontempelli
Hunter (personal)
McLean (fringe)
Bruce
Hannan (arguably fringe)
Garcia (borderline fringe)
Johannisen
Keath
English

So that is a total of 10 who were unavailable plus Sam Darcy who hasn't played at all. That makes 11 who were unavailable.

You must be counting the other 3 we lost during the game or do you know something else.

I count 6 as definitely best 22.
I agree that it would be difficult for any team to cope with.

1eyedog
12-05-2022, 06:01 PM
Bont, Bruce, Keath and English are the only 4 I'd consider locks. Problem for us is they're all real good and mostly play the big man role in their respective positions. Hard to find high quality replacement players to fill those roles.

Bulldog Joe
12-05-2022, 06:06 PM
Bont, Bruce, Keath and English are the only 4 I'd consider locks. Problem for us is they're all real good and mostly play the big man role in their respective positions. Hard to find high quality replacement players to fill those roles.

Those equivalents at Melbourne would be Petracca, Jackson, May and Gawn. They wouldn't win the flag if all 4 of those were missing.

comrade
12-05-2022, 08:37 PM

We also failed during the post season period to upgrade or fill any of the significant gaps in our list where we were vulnerable and we’re paying a big price in 2022. If we thought our list would somehow naturally improve to match Melbourne’s best, we were sadly mistaken and relying on an absolute best case scenario. Unfortunately, we’ve had the opposite fortune and have been exposed badly.

bornadog
12-05-2022, 11:38 PM
We are struggling on the injury front but 10 of best 22 is a bit of a stretch.

Missing through injury etc.

Mitch Wallis (fringe)
Bontempelli
Hunter (personal)
McLean (fringe)
Bruce
Hannan (arguably fringe)
Garcia (borderline fringe)
Johannisen
Keath
English

So that is a total of 10 who were unavailable plus Sam Darcy who hasn't played at all. That makes 11 who were unavailable.

You must be counting the other 3 we lost during the game or do you know something else.

I count 6 as definitely best 22.
I agree that it would be difficult for any team to cope with.

Sam Darcy (foot) - test
Marcus Bontempelli (managed) – test
Tim English (hamstring) – test
Alex Keath (hamstring) – test
Tim O’Brien (calf) – 1-2 weeks
Cody Weightman (collarbone) – 2-3 weeks
Jason Johannisen (calf) – 2-3 weeks
Riley Garcia (knee) – 2-3 weeks
Mitch Wallis (foot) – 2-3 weeks
Josh Bruce (knee) – 4-5 weeks
Toby McLean (knee) – 4-5 weeks
Laitham Vandermeer (hamstring) – 7-8 weeks
Mitch Hannan (concussion) – indefinite
Lachie Hunter (personal) – indefinite

I counted all bar bolded. I know Bont and Keath back this week. Either way, that is a hell of alot of players to miss

Bulldog4life
13-05-2022, 10:23 AM
Cody Weightman is a definite lock for me.

azabob
13-05-2022, 10:36 AM
Ok time to bring this back on track as trying to blame injuries for our performance this year is laughable. Injuries have only hurt our performance last week again Port. Our other loses have been self inflicted.

The players coming out of contract are a mixed bag. I've broken them into three criteria's.

Must Sign;
Caleb Daniel, Tim English, Bailey Dale, Baley Smith, Alex Keath

Lets see how the year plays out;
Josh Dunkley, Jason Johannisen, Buku Khamis, Charlie Parker, Taylor Duryea, Dominic Bedendo, Zaine Cordy (not by choice), Mitch Wallis

Not sure what the can offer moving forward;
Rhylee West, Josh Schache, Louis Butler, Toby McLean, Mitch Hannan, Riley Garcia (cannot get on the park), Stefan Martin, Robbie McComb, Cody Raak,

Gee whiz it is disappointing to be focusing on list management so early in the season.

bornadog
13-05-2022, 10:48 AM
Ok time to bring this back on track as trying to blame injuries for our performance this year is laughable. Injuries have only hurt our performance last week again Port. Our other loses have been self inflicted.

The players coming out of contract are a mixed bag. I've broken them into three criteria's.

Must Sign;
Caleb Daniel, Tim English, Bailey Dale, Baley Smith, Alex Keath

Lets see how the year plays out;
Josh Dunkley, Jason Johannisen, Buku Khamis, Charlie Parker, Taylor Duryea, Dominic Bedendo, Zaine Cordy (not by choice), Mitch Wallis

Not sure what the can offer moving forward;
Rhylee West, Josh Schache, Louis Butler, Toby McLean, Mitch Hannan, Riley Garcia (cannot get on the park), Stefan Martin, Robbie McComb, Cody Raak,

Gee whiz it is disappointing to be focusing on list management so early in the season.

Maybe this should be in the List management thread

The Doctor
15-05-2022, 06:27 PM
Ralph reporting 'meaningful' contract talks are about to start with Bailey Dale.

josie
25-05-2022, 11:07 PM
Good news regarding Timmy:

Bulldogs big man to turn his back on WA teams, another key free agent also set to sign

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/bulldogs-big-man-to-turn-his-back-on-wa-teams-as-another-key-free-agent-is-set-to-sign-20220525-p5aokg.html?btis

Jeanette54
26-05-2022, 05:53 PM
A cocky Essendon friend today claims that Essendon is into Josh Dunkley again. In fact he was willing to bet a reasonable sum of money that Josh will be a bomber next year. He was right about the move last time, has anyone heard anything about Josh going to the Bumbers.

Axe Man
26-05-2022, 06:18 PM
A cocky Essendon friend today claims that Essendon is into Josh Dunkley again. In fact he was willing to bet a reasonable sum of money that Josh will be a bomber next year. He was right about the move last time, has anyone heard anything about Josh going to the Bumbers.

Well there is this...

BOMBERS SET TO BE “PRETTY ACTIVE” IN THIS YEAR’S TRADE PERIOD (https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/05/26/bombers-set-to-be-pretty-active-in-this-years-trade-period/)

Essendon GM of Football Josh Mahoney has revealed the Bombers’ plan to be active in this year’s trade period.

bornadog
26-05-2022, 06:27 PM
Well there is this...

BOMBERS SET TO BE “PRETTY ACTIVE” IN THIS YEAR’S TRADE PERIOD (https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/05/26/bombers-set-to-be-pretty-active-in-this-years-trade-period/)

Essendon GM of Football Josh Mahoney has revealed the Bombers’ plan to be active in this year’s trade period.

they never learn do they

josie
26-05-2022, 06:31 PM
Two firsts or a first & high second pick please bummers. Anyone we would really like & position of need from EFC?

They would surely have to pay overs to 1) interest Dunkley (why would he want to leave now apart from $?, considering he is besties with Adz, club looks like being competitive now we are starting to see return of injured players) & 2) For us to entertain it.

WC desperate for good midfielders, so there would be more then 1 club interested.

Axe Man
26-05-2022, 06:37 PM
Two firsts or a first & high second pick please bummers. Anyone we would really like & position of need from EFC?

They would surely have to pay overs to 1) interest Dunkley (why would he want to leave now apart from $?, considering he is besties with Adz, club looks like being competitive now we are starting to see return of injured players) & 2) For us to entertain it.

WC desperate for good midfielders, so there would be more then 1 club interested.

Unlike 2 years ago he is out of contract so our negotiating position is significantly weaker this time around if history were to repeat.

soupman
26-05-2022, 06:41 PM
.....why would he want to leave now apart from $?, considering he is besties with Adz.

Last time around he was best mates with Bont based on their Instagram. Since then they have barely appeared in a photo together and don't appear any closer than any other players from the outside. Coincidence? Not sure his relationship with Treloar is a major factor if the other terms in Essendons offer are right.

EasternWest
26-05-2022, 08:36 PM
Last time around he was best mates with Bont based on their Instagram. Since then they have barely appeared in a photo together and don't appear any closer than any other players from the outside. Coincidence? Not sure his relationship with Treloar is a major factor if the other terms in Essendons offer are right.

I'd stuff my best mates in a chaff bag and throw them out to sea if the money was ridiculous enough.

josie
26-05-2022, 09:11 PM
I'd stuff my best mates in a chaff bag and throw them out to sea if the money was ridiculous enough.

Bet you’d rescue them too. Would you stop supporting dogs and support Bummers for $?

EasternWest
26-05-2022, 09:25 PM
Bet you’d rescue them too

Depends how much they were offering.

Would you stop supporting dogs and support Bummers for $?

Even the most venal mercenary has limits, Josie.

FrediKanoute
26-05-2022, 09:32 PM
Isn't Dunks a restricted free agent? If so we can match, so unless the Bummers give him a mammoth cap breaking deal, we could retain. Dunks would be a loss as there is no one on the list who really brings the grunt and strength......but a high first round pick gives us a shot at another quality mid - maybe even look to hijack Adelaide's bid for Horne-Francis by on trading the Dunks picks. He is probably the one guy that I don't want to lose, but would lose if the price was right.

bornadog
26-05-2022, 11:52 PM
Isn't Dunks a restricted free agent?

I don't believe he is.

Bulldog4life
27-05-2022, 02:26 AM

That is the key to it. He won't want to leave. He is happy. Double that bet Jeanette and I will go halfies with you. Why go to a bottom side too who won't win a premiership while he is playing.;)

Grantysghost
27-05-2022, 06:08 AM
I don't believe he is.

No he's not, would need a trade.

Grantysghost
27-05-2022, 06:11 AM
That is the key to it. He won't want to leave. He is happy. Double that bet Jeanette and I will go halfies with you. Why go to a bottom side too who won't win a premiership while he is playing.;)

He may also talk to him about his 900k salary.

If he gets a big offer to leave and we can't get near it or don't value him as much then I don't blame him for being interested.

Bulldog4life
27-05-2022, 10:32 AM
He may also talk to him about his 900k salary.

If he gets a big offer to leave and we can't get near it or don't value him as much then I don't blame him for being interested.

All I have to say Gg he seems happy. He has been getting more mid field time like he wanted. He is not rucking. His reasons for leaving last time are no more. His best mate plays with him. If he is a mercenary well I have been proven wrong before.

Grantysghost
27-05-2022, 10:38 AM
All I have to say Gg he seems happy. He has been getting more mid field time like he wanted. He is not rucking. His reasons for leaving last time are no more. His best mate plays with him. If he is a mercenary well I have been proven wrong before.

All good points B4L :)

Agree I'd be surprised if he left too. But sometimes career comes first and he seems a pretty professional type.

bornadog
27-05-2022, 10:42 AM
All good points B4L :)

Agree I'd be surprised if he left too. But sometimes career comes first and he seems a pretty professional type.

I expect to lose someone at years end, not sure it will be Dunks.

Here are our Free agents

Zaine Cordy
Bailey Dale
Caleb Daniel
Taylor Duryea^
Jason Johannisen
Stefan Martin^
Toby McLean
Mitch Wallis

Happy Days
27-05-2022, 11:09 AM
Is anyone else finding the complete radio silence around Barry Smith really weird? Like not even in terms of from our end, from everywhere? He’s one of the highest profile players in the league and I haven’t heard anything about our own negotiations, about rival interest, or even of the fact that he’s out of contract.

What an I missing here?

GVGjr
27-05-2022, 11:12 AM

Not forgetting the hugs from Treloar's daughter, you can't put a price on that. :)

Grantysghost
27-05-2022, 11:15 AM
Is anyone else finding the complete radio silence around Barry Smith really weird? Like not even in terms of from our end, from everywhere? He’s one of the highest profile players in the league and I haven’t heard anything about our own negotiations, about rival interest, or even of the fact that he’s out of contract.

What an I missing here?

Now I am!

https://media.giphy.com/media/bEVKYB487Lqxy/giphy.gif

Happy Days
27-05-2022, 11:15 AM

My always accurate, very good, actually heard in real life and probably not made up intel was that Bont found out about the Dunkley trade at the same time we did and was hell pissed off by it. Think they’re chill now but not full on best buds like before.

Grantysghost
27-05-2022, 11:20 AM
My always accurate, very good, actually heard in real life and probably not made up intel was that Bont found out about the Dunkley trade at the same time we did and was hell pissed off by it. Think they’re chill now but not full on best buds like before.

Let's go with it.

I think that's my general feel, he is more likely to be a professional about it and not go with emotion.

I've got plenty of good friends (insert EW comment here xD) who I used to work with and still see regularly.

I don't think it will be a factor. He may spin it that way after the fact of course.

bornadog
27-05-2022, 11:21 AM
Not forgetting the hugs from Treloar's daughter, you can't put a price on that. :)

That was so cute when she yelled out "Hello Dunks"

Axe Man
27-05-2022, 11:30 AM

What an I missing here?

Barry Smith sounds like some bloke you would meet at your local RSL.

The Doctor
31-05-2022, 06:23 AM
Jon Ralph says

Tim English isn’t far from a new deal, Caleb Daniel is inching closer too and Bailey Dale wants to stay even if rivals would offer more.

Josh Dunkley is in his own contact talks and while Bailey Smith’s talks haven’t started there is absolutely no suggestion his future isn’t at the Dogs.

azabob
31-05-2022, 09:38 AM
Jon Ralph says

Tim English isn’t far from a new deal, Caleb Daniel is inching closer too and Bailey Dale wants to stay even if rivals would offer more.

Josh Dunkley is in his own contact talks and while Bailey Smith’s talks haven’t started there is absolutely no suggestion his future isn’t at the Dogs.

Thanks Doc.

So Dunkley Jnr and Dunkley Snr are up to their old tricks again.

I want Dunkley to stay but his negotiation style will make it tough for him to stay. We can't pay him what he wants.

1eyedog
31-05-2022, 11:38 AM
Loving Dale more and more by the week. How emphatic is that!

The Bulldogs Bite
31-05-2022, 11:44 AM
Thanks Doc.

So Dunkley Jnr and Dunkley Snr are up to their old tricks again.

I want Dunkley to stay but his negotiation style will make it tough for him to stay. We can't pay him what he wants.

Dunks is a good player but it's at the stage where if he wants to leave, we shouldn't stand in his way.

We've got better players to re-sign (Smith) and his type isn't the hardest in the world to find, with all due respect.

comrade
31-05-2022, 12:42 PM
Loving Dale more and more by the week. How emphatic is that!

It’s pretty unbelievable how good he has become, isn’t it?

Mantis
31-05-2022, 01:08 PM
Dunks is a good player but it's at the stage where if he wants to leave, we shouldn't stand in his way.

We've got better players to re-sign (Smith) and his type isn't the hardest in the world to find, with all due respect.

With due respect how many players in the comp are averaging 26 touches, 7 marks, 6 tackles and a goal a game?

He's not worth over-paying for, but we need to keep him.

The Bulldogs Bite
31-05-2022, 01:35 PM
With due respect how many players in the comp are averaging 26 touches, 7 marks, 6 tackles and a goal a game?

He's not worth over-paying for, but we need to keep him.

That's my take on where this all sits though. Do I want to keep him? Absolutely - I don't think Libba has long left, Dunks is a young bull, but I'm not prepared to overpay for his type.

To keep him, I think he'll want us to overpay.

jeemak
31-05-2022, 02:13 PM
Jon Ralph says

What does that even mean? Is he in contract talks with the club or is he having contract talks with himself or himself and other clubs?

Happy Days
31-05-2022, 02:52 PM
What does that even mean? Is he in contract talks with the club or is he having contract talks with himself or himself and other clubs?

I took it to mean that he, like English and Daniel, is engaged in talks with the club, but at the same time it still annoyed me for some reason?

hujsh
31-05-2022, 04:11 PM
I took it to mean that he, like English and Daniel, is engaged in talks with the club, but at the same time it still annoyed me for some reason?

It does suggest that talks are happening but are not close unlike the players mentioned previously. Question is are we finalising other first or is he stonewalling us?

Bulldog4life
31-05-2022, 04:41 PM
Jon Ralph says

Let's get Baz's talks underway.

Axe Man
15-06-2022, 01:51 PM
Daniel inks four-year deal (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1149571/daniel-inks-four-year-deal)

Premiership Bulldog and Charles Sutton Medallist Caleb Daniel has put pen to paper on a four-year contract extension, keeping him at the Kennel until at least 2026.

The 25-year-old has played 146 games for the Club since being selected from Edwardstown/South Adelaide, with pick 46 in the 2014 national draft.

Daniel is enjoying an outstanding start to 2022, averaging 24.5 disposals, 5.1 marks and 4.3 rebound 50s per game.

He was crowned Club Champion in 2020 and added a maiden All Australian blazer to his accolades in that same season.

Daniel said he was excited to commit his long-term future to Whitten Oval.

“I am really excited to sign on at the Club for the next four years,” Daniel said.

“I’ve built some amazing friendships at this football club and am incredibly grateful to pull on the jumper each week with this group.

“As a club, we’ve had lot of success over recent times but we’re extremely hungry to improve and continually drive each other to be better.”

Bulldogs’ General Manager of List and Recruiting, Sam Power, said it was pleasing to secure Daniel’s services for another four seasons.

"Caleb is not only a key member of our playing group but a quality individual who is a big part of the future of the Western Bulldogs,” Power said.

“He has established himself as an extremely consistent performer over a number of years and we are thrilled to extend his contract for a further four seasons at the Club.

“His professionalism and ability to impact matches from defence has been exceptional, with his growth being rewarded by the Club, named in the leadership group for this season.

“A long-term commitment demonstrates the confidence that Caleb has in the direction of the Club, as the Bulldogs push for success on and off the field for years to come.”

Grantysghost
15-06-2022, 02:03 PM
Brilliant news.

Scraggers
15-06-2022, 02:26 PM
Great to have some good news out of the club today.

bornadog
15-06-2022, 02:27 PM
Great news

bornadog
15-06-2022, 02:41 PM
https://youtu.be/T8GiyAaEFdc

The Bulldogs Bite
15-06-2022, 02:46 PM
Good news, not sure he's had an 'outstanding' season but alas .... journalism.

I'd like to see him moved further up the ground to become more damaging.

comrade
15-06-2022, 03:01 PM
Just about my favourite player to watch when he’s really sizzling. Love everything about him.

EasternWest
16-06-2022, 12:09 AM
Happy Days won't like this. Daniel is constantly EXPOSED did you know he was short the little man?

On another note, it still blows my mind how cheaply we got a guy who is an out and out jet, and 4 years is a good indication of the faith he's repaying to the club.

azabob
16-06-2022, 09:21 AM
AFL.com reporting that Dale has signed a five year deal.

Far out that is a long contract for a player who has played elite football for only 2 years across his entire career combined.

Happy Days
16-06-2022, 09:29 AM

Far out that is a long contract for a player who has played elite football for only 2 years across his entire career combined.

Worth it I think. He’s only getting better and gotta think there’s a fair amount of interest out there for him. Plus maybe it’s letting us move some cash around.

Mantis
16-06-2022, 09:31 AM

If we are happy that Daniel gets a 4yr deal then we should be equally as happy that Dale gets 5... but I thought we would've learnt our lesson after giving out long deals to other like players over the past 6-7 years which haven't worked out all that well.

But maybe you need to offer long deals to keep the peace??

1eyedog
16-06-2022, 09:34 AM

Worth five years absolute gun.

azabob
16-06-2022, 09:43 AM
Worth it I think. He’s only getting better and gotta think there’s a fair amount of interest out there for him. Plus maybe it’s letting us move some cash around.

If we are happy that Daniel gets a 4yr deal then we should be equally as happy that Dale gets 5... but I thought we would've learnt our lesson after giving out long deals to other like players over the past 6-7 years which haven't worked out all that well.

But maybe you need to offer long deals to keep the peace??

Opposition clubs would've offered five year deals.

And maybe you and happy days are correct; 5 years keeps the peace and we may be spreading the money around to suit other contract discussions.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
16-06-2022, 09:44 AM
Starting to clear the backlog of out of contract big names now. Daniel, Dale and although I've not seen official news, English for a couple more years seems on the cards.

Who are the high profile players still out of contact, is it Bailey Smith, Dunkley and JJ that remain unsigned right now?

azabob
16-06-2022, 09:46 AM
Worth five years absolute gun.

Don't disagree he's a gun at half back.

My concern is we signed him on a three year deal due to an absolute purple patch as a leading forward at the end of 2019

2020 he had a poor year.
2021 move to HB and was elite
2022 half a season of great to elite footy.

Hopefully, hopefully he keeps at his current level.

azabob
16-06-2022, 09:48 AM
Starting to clear the backlog of out of contract big names now. Daniel, Dale and although I've not seen official news, English for a couple more years seems on the cards.

Who are the high profile players still out of contact, is it Bailey Smith, Dunkley and JJ that remain unsigned right now?

If you believe the rumors apparently there is a contract status thread on woof... not sure if it is this thread or not...

And yes by my count Smith, JJ and Dunkley are left to sign.

azabob
16-06-2022, 09:58 AM
Dale signs on for five years

Bulldogs’ defender Bailey Dale has committed his long-term future to the Western Bulldogs, signing a five-year contract extension at the Kennel.

The rebounding defender will wear the red, white and blue until at least the 2027 season, remaining a one-club player after being drafted at Pick 45 in the 2014 National Draft.

“I am really excited to keep playing for this amazing club for the next five seasons,” Dale said.

“I am grateful for the opportunity the Club has given me and was always keen to commit long-term at Whitten Oval.

“The direction the Club is heading is exciting and I’m keen to be a part of that, particularly playing and working alongside a great group of players and staff.

“I’m pleased that the contract is finalised and can now turn my focus to continuing to help us build on-field for the remainder of the season.”

Dale made the switch to defence in early 2021 and hasn’t looked back since, averaging 27 touches and five marks a game.

The 25-year-old’s ability to hit a target and propel the team forward has been a highlight, gaining 605 metres per game this season as a rebound asset.

Bulldogs’ General Manager of List and Recruiting, Sam Power, was elated to keep Dale at VU Whitten Oval into the future.

“We are thrilled to keep Bailey for the next five years,” Power said.

“After starting his career forward, Bailey has transformed into a reliable rebounding defender that provides plenty of dash and excitement in our back half.

“It was pleasing to see Bailey’s hard work rewarded at the end of last season, receiving his first All Australian jacket in his first season as a defender.

“Bailey is a popular teammate and talented individual that continues to have a profound impact on our playing group.

“His long-term commitment to the Bulldogs is a great reflection of the confidence he has in the playing group and the direction we’re heading in as a club.”

Dale has played 97 games and kicked 73 goals for the Bulldogs.

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1150119/dale-signs-on-for-five-years

GVGjr
16-06-2022, 10:05 AM
So with some deals completed it more or less leaves Smith, Dunks and Keath as the primary players still to get deals done.
Can we keep the band together? Or will Jeemak be our Yoko?

bornadog
16-06-2022, 10:05 AM
Dale has been a revelation in the backline, a great move by Bevo, and now a 5 year contract. All the best to Bailey.

bornadog
16-06-2022, 10:11 AM
Deleted

comrade
16-06-2022, 10:50 AM
Dale also seems like an absolute clean skin off field, unlike a few we’ve given big deals to in the past which have come back to hurt us (JJ, Hunter).

Axe Man
16-06-2022, 11:16 AM
Jason Johannisen: 2022
Toby McLean: 2022
Josh Dunkley: 2022
Tim English: 2022
Rhylee West: 2022 (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2019-08-15/west-resigns-for-two-more?fbclid=IwAR10ihTVX91PaUuu1oXgonP5bmJd_YVX8fjHJLMlBf_n9c L5IGBMhGd8HbA)
Alex Keath: 2022
Josh Schache: 2022 (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/209163/schaches-new-deal)
Bailey Smith: 2022 (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/549928/smith-signs)
Mitch Hannan: 2022 (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/834734/hannan-becomes-a-bulldog)
Dominic Bedendo: 2022
Louis Butler: 2022 (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/980010/?fbclid=IwAR3b9E0HiTTGSLfquL6WDzHVGasYKYDwDNYR0mtoPHBFdWxCuW-9PQxOoB0)
Riley Garcia: 2022 (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/980010/?fbclid=IwAR3b9E0HiTTGSLfquL6WDzHVGasYKYDwDNYR0mtoPHBFdWxCuW-9PQxOoB0)
Zaine Cordy: 2022 (https://www.afl.com.au/news/663027/tigers-free-agent-set-for-new-deal-premiership-dog-hits-trigger)
Taylor Duryea: 2022 (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1003352/duryea-locked-in-for-2022?fbclid=IwAR20dBmLo9PH-bWohtMA02Qem7sAyLAqUUYDiIfxV_QHWbKZEVpGU2q3vLQ)
Buku Khamis: 2022 (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1012035/khamis-commits) (Rookie)
Mitch Wallis: 2022 (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1025191/wallis-commits-to-the-kennel)
Stefan Martin: 2022 (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1028726/martin-to-play-on-in-2022)
Charlie Parker: 2022 (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1034063/2021-afl-rookie-draft-pick-17-charlie-parker) (Rookie)
Robbie McComb: 2022 (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1034067/2021-afl-rookie-draft-pick-23-robbie-mccomb) (Rookie)
Cody Raak: 2022 (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1034005/bulldogs-select-cody-raak-as-a-pre-selected-rookie) (Rookie)

Still a few to sign up

Please delete this BAD. If people can't navigate their way to page 1 of this very thread they don't deserve to be informed. ;)

The Underdog
16-06-2022, 11:34 AM
Please delete this BAD. If people can't navigate their way to page 1 of this very thread they don't deserve to be informed. ;)

What’s on the first page? Is it something contract related?

jeemak
16-06-2022, 11:36 AM

There should be a thread for that sort of information. Someone should get one up and running.

bornadog
16-06-2022, 11:41 AM

Don't know what you are talking about :D

Mantis
16-06-2022, 12:23 PM
Dale also seems like an absolute clean skin off field, unlike a few we’ve given big deals to in the past which have come back to hurt us (JJ, Hunter).

You would think that's the case, but he is a rule breaker... quite often I see him letting his dogs off for a run at the local park and it's not a lead free dog park... such a rebel!

The Underdog
16-06-2022, 01:41 PM
You would think that's the case, but he is a rule breaker... quite often I see him letting his dogs off for a run at the local park and it's not a lead free dog park... such a rebel!

Wait til I call Damien Barrett with this one.

Happy Days
16-06-2022, 01:47 PM
Wait til I call Damien Barrett with this one.

Star Dog Off The Lead - What It Really Says About Mental Fitness of Senior Coach

josie
16-06-2022, 02:03 PM
Great work by club resigning two guns in Give our Dailey Bale bread and Maestro Caleb.

Timmy (2 years from reports) soon and Smithnext priorities and then IMO West & Dunks.

bornadog
16-06-2022, 02:20 PM
Great work by club resigning two guns in Give our Dailey Bale bread and Maestro Caleb.

Timmy (2 years from reports) soon and Smithnext priorities and then IMO West & Dunks.

I am hoping Tim is longer

KT31
16-06-2022, 02:30 PM
Great news and work from the club, at this rate English will get 10 years.

Eastdog
16-06-2022, 02:35 PM
Great news to sign up Caleb Daniel and Bailey Dale. Both very important players for us.

EasternWest
16-06-2022, 03:00 PM
Star Dog Off The Lead - What It Really Says About Mental Fitness of Senior Coach

Rumours growing that Beveridge putting pressure on Dale to leash his dog but also some are saying Beveridge isn't worried about it so there may be an issue and there may not - Tom Browne.

F**k Luke Beveridge - Tom Morris.

Eastdog
16-06-2022, 03:13 PM

He has really come along this season.

EasternWest
16-06-2022, 03:15 PM

Probably about 7 inches or so.

https://i.postimg.cc/WzzXYk7S/images-5.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

azabob
16-06-2022, 03:30 PM
Rumours growing that Beveridge putting pressure on Dale to leash his dog but also some are saying Beveridge isn't worried about it so there may be an issue and there may not - Tom Browne.

F**k Luke Beveridge - Tom Morris.

In a further development; it is yet to be confirmed that Dale may or may not be using recyclable bags to pick up his dogs poop. I've also been reliably informed by people close to the situation that Dale he has occasionally chosen not to pick up the poop which contravenes the Bulldogs Social and Environmental commitment... Tom Browne.

josie
16-06-2022, 07:57 PM
Probably about 7 inches or so.

https://i.postimg.cc/WzzXYk7S/images-5.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Naughty boy EW - dick emery standard of humour & yes I laughed

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
16-06-2022, 08:01 PM

EW... WOOF's Benny Hill.

KT31
16-06-2022, 09:01 PM

Josie, "Oh you are awful, but I like you!”:D

EasternWest
17-06-2022, 12:09 AM
Oh wow I was referring to height differential, get out of the gutter you scoundrels :).

bornadog
20-06-2022, 10:13 PM
Ameet Bains on Bailey Smith’s contract:

"We have made a fair bit of progress with Bailey Smith's manager Paul Connors in the last 2-3 weeks so hopefully that momentum can keep going." - SportsdayRadio

Listen here (https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=1011052) - push along to listen to Ameet

The Doctor
22-06-2022, 07:08 AM
Mitch Cleary CH#7 says Hannan and Khamis have signed new 1 year deals.

azabob
22-06-2022, 09:43 AM
Club has confirmed that Buku Khamis, Mitch Hannan and Dom Bedendo have all re-signed for 2023.

azabob
22-06-2022, 09:43 AM
https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1154226/trio-re-sign-at-the-bulldogs

A trio of exciting Bulldogs have re-signed for the 2023 season, with Buku Khamis, Mitch Hannan and Dom Bedendo all re-committing their future to Whitten Oval.

Hannan, 28, is another out of the Footscray football factory, initially drafted as a mature age recruit by Melbourne in 2016 after claiming the VFL Premiership in the same season.

The silky left-footer returned to VU Whitten Oval in 2021 and featured in the Grand Final side in his first season in the red, white and blue.

Bedendo, 19, landed at the Bulldogs with pick 55 in the 2020 National Draft and while the youngster is yet to make his senior debut, signs are promising in the VFL side.

The Murray Bushrangers product was one of Footscray’s best last weekend with 24 touches, 10 marks and four inside 50s against Carlton.

Khamis, 22, has taken his game to a new level this season, switching from defence to attack and providing an exciting aerial option for the Bulldogs.

In five games this season, Khamis kicked six goals, including a bag of three against the Pies in Round 9.

General Manager of List and Recruiting, Sam Power, said all three individuals were key assets to the Bulldogs moving forward.

“Mitch has been a really important player to us since moving across from Melbourne and we’re excited to have him on board for another season,” Power said.

“Despite a few setbacks, Mitch has been a mainstay of our forward line and we look forward to welcoming him back to footy within the next couple of weeks.

“Buku and Dom have been emerging players for us and are starting to show their potential at VFL and AFL level.

“Their attitude of always wanting to improve and consistent growth has the Club excited about their development over next 12 months within our program.

“It’s another show of faith from these individuals in what we are building at the Bulldogs, re-committing to the Club for next season and beyond.”

soupman
22-06-2022, 10:41 AM
Good to see us only give them 1 year contracts. All are good enough to stick around, but all need to earn further seasons.

azabob
22-06-2022, 10:48 AM
Good to see us only give them 1 year contracts. All are good enough to stick around, but all need to earn further seasons.

Yep, good call. Previously; we would've signed them for 2 years when there was no need.

Scraggers
22-06-2022, 01:46 PM
Great news ... But not the signing I thought we would get today. Still no official news about English (or have I missed something)

Axe Man
22-06-2022, 01:56 PM
Great news ... But not the signing I thought we would get today. Still no official news about English (or have I missed something)

So what you are saying is you don't trust my list? ;)

Scraggers
22-06-2022, 02:00 PM

Your list is perfect :cool: But I have read twice in the media that we have already re-signed English, yet nothing from the club.

Axe Man
22-06-2022, 02:05 PM
Your list is perfect :cool: But I have read twice in the media that we have already re-signed English, yet nothing from the club.

It ain't official 'til it's official!

EasternWest
22-06-2022, 02:07 PM

What list?

Scraggers
22-06-2022, 02:15 PM
What list?

There's a list??

EasternWest
22-06-2022, 02:16 PM
There's a list??

Clearly not.