PDA

View Full Version : Player Contract Status

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9]

DOG GOD
11-09-2024, 03:45 PM
Duryea, McNeil sign on (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1652389/duryea-mcneil-sign-on)

Veteran Taylor Duryea and forward Lachie McNeil will remain at Mission Whitten Oval after signing fresh deals this week.

McNeil, 23, has signed on for two more seasons, while Duryea will play on into the 2025 season.

A two-time premiership player, Duryea played 22 matches this season, averaging 15 touches and five marks a game.

A member of the Club?s leadership group, Duryea has continued to help develop the younger players within the program.

McNeil played 12 games this season, finding his place as a small forward within the side, averaging 12 touches and four tackles per game.

The pair follow in the footsteps of Buku Khamis, who signed on for two more seasons earlier this week.

Western Bulldogs General Manager of List and Recruiting, Sam Power, was pleased to lock away both players at the conclusion of the season.

?Taylor has had a very consistent year and remained a vital leader for the Club, both on and off the field,? Power said.

?Lachie continues to grow as a footballer and has played some important roles as a small forward this season.?

?We?re pleased that both players have remained at the Bulldogs into the future.?

2 years ? What the hell is going on?

Happy Days
11-09-2024, 04:01 PM
So glad we can finally put all that rampant speculation about Lachie McNeil’s future to bed.

azabob
11-09-2024, 04:02 PM
So glad we can finally put all that rampant speculation about Lachie McNeil’s future to bed.

GG can now sleep easy.

bornadog
11-09-2024, 04:04 PM
GG can now sleep easy.

Wasn't it GG who pleaded with Sam Power and harassed him till he gave in :D

azabob
11-09-2024, 04:06 PM
In all seriousness, I am actually ok with all three recent signings Khamis, Duryea and McNeil.

All will feature in our senior side next year.

Hotdog60
11-09-2024, 04:09 PM
McNeil worked his arse off and has shown a lot of improvement (except when he's 30 metres out from goal or closer. :) ).
If he can tidy that part of his game up 2 years is fair enough.

DOG GOD
11-09-2024, 04:13 PM
In all seriousness, I am actually ok with all three recent signings Khamis, Duryea and McNeil.

All will feature in our senior side next year.

If they are playing every weak, we are screwed

Axe Man
11-09-2024, 04:17 PM

Like Collingwood and Treloar GG is paying a good portion of Lachie's contract.

azabob
11-09-2024, 04:40 PM
If they are playing every weak, we are screwed

Unless we get talent in via the trade period, I think it will be a rough year.

DOG GOD
11-09-2024, 04:50 PM
I agree

angelopetraglia
11-09-2024, 04:55 PM

We won 14 games, three more than last year. We are losing Baz who didn?t play and losing Macrae who could not make our best 22 in a final.

Richards will be a better midfielder, Lobb will be a better key back, Sanders will improve, our three key forwards are still young and improving, especially Darcy and Marra. Darcy with another preseason will be a scary proposition.

Why will it be rougher?

JanLorMill
11-09-2024, 04:58 PM
His best form of defense is attack, intercepting is his game and was thrown to the wolves a bit playing as a 2nd key defender at times, that game v Geelong was excellent, i think a 1 year deal should have been enough but my guess is that there may have been other clubs asking and offering and we upped it for him to stay.
2 years for McNeil is even worse

bornadog
11-09-2024, 05:16 PM
We won 14 games, three more than last year. We are losing Baz who didn?t play and losing Macrae who could not make our best 22 in a final.

Richards will be a better midfielder, Lobb will be a better key back, Sanders will improve, our three key forwards are still young and improving, especially Darcy and Marra. Darcy with another preseason will be a scary proposition.

Why will it be rougher?

two more than last year when we missed finals by half a game

azabob
11-09-2024, 05:19 PM

Why will it be rougher?

Due to age I do not have confidence in Tom Liberatore, Adam Treloar, Liam Jones or Taylor Duryea will play at the same levels they did this year.

Realistically Lobb is only 50/50 to recapture his form since moving back, ditto with Lachie Bramble.

English needs to have a massive mental reset and somehow become more competitive against the bigger and mature ruckman. I really am hoping his ankle injury hampered him a lot more than we realised...

We really need Sanders, Freijah and Gallagher to step up another level and play 15+ quality games. Who is going to stand up and take the opposite wing to Bailey Williams and make it their own? We cannot continue to have musical chairs.

Fingers crossed both Daniel and Garcia stick around as we will need them rotating through the midfield - perhaps we also need to look at West playing more significant minutes at CBA.

Agree that Marra and Darcy should again improve. Does Darcy need spend more time in the ruck? For mine yes.

We are screaming out for midsized and small forwards who kick goals; especially when our big blokes are not getting near it.

Agree that Ed Richards should improve, Weightmans output should increase also - was it just me or did Weightmans form drop away when we started hearing a lot of his hobbies outside of football...

Then the biggest distraction will be Luke Beveridge contract, I am strongly in the camp we either extend his contract for one more year or make the call to move him on. By the sounds of it we will enter the season with Beveridge unsigned beyond 2025.

Normally I am a pretty optimistic supporter but after we put in our worst performance for the season on Friday night...

bulldogtragic
11-09-2024, 05:22 PM
Due to age I do not have confidence in Tom Liberatore, Adam Treloar, Liam Jones or Taylor Duryea will play at the same levels they did this year.

Realistically Lobb is only 50/50 to recapture his form since moving back, ditto with Lachie Bramble.

English needs to have a massive mental reset and somehow become more competitive against the bigger and mature ruckman. I really am hoping his ankle injury hampered him a lot more than we realised...

We really need Sanders, Freijah and Gallagher to step up another level and play 15+ quality games. Who is going to stand up and take the opposite wing to Bailey Williams and make it their own? We cannot continue to have musical chairs.

Fingers crossed both Daniel and Garcia stick around as we will need them rotating through the midfield - perhaps we also need to look at West playing more significant minutes at CBA.

Agree that Marra and Darcy should again improve. Does Darcy need spend more time in the ruck? For mine yes.

We are screaming out for midsized and small forwards who kick goals; especially when our big blokes are not getting near it.

Agree that Ed Richards should improve, Weightmans output should increase also - was it just me or did Weightmans form drop away when we started hearing a lot of his hobbies outside of football...

Then the biggest distraction will be Luke Beveridge contract, I am strongly in the camp we either extend his contract for one more year or make the call to move him on. By the sounds of it we will enter the season with Beveridge unsigned beyond 2025.

Normally I am a pretty optimistic supporter but after we put in our worst performance for the season on Friday night...

We also need another 25 goals from West, who gets dropped pretty quickly. They’re not likely to come from McNeil & VDM who just don’t hit the scoreboard.

Grantysghost
11-09-2024, 05:59 PM
GG can now sleep easy.

Like Collingwood and Treloar GG is paying a good portion of Lachie's contract.

I'm dissapointed, I lobbied hard to be able to run his water and apply the deep heat before games but all we ended up with was two years.

For those whinging about the length, why doesn't he deserve two years?

He improved out of sight and worked harder than most every game for YOUR team.

He's probably on minimum chips so 2 x 250 say is fair reward for a guy who sets standards with his preparation, effort and ability to get the most out of himself.

Not every player is going to be a star.

For mine one year would be an insulting offer.

Also : you can all get stuffed :cool:

Axe Man
11-09-2024, 06:34 PM
We also need another 25 goals from West, who gets dropped pretty quickly. They’re not likely to come from McNeil & VDM who just don’t hit the scoreboard.

To be fair West was not dropped once this year.

bulldogtragic
11-09-2024, 06:39 PM
To be fair West was not dropped once this year.

In the case of the EF, not brought back in despite his breakout season results and an obvious role for him.

DOG GOD
11-09-2024, 06:57 PM

I can see Libba and jones in particular having a massive decline by mid way 2025. Jones showed glimpses towards the end of the year. He?s been falling over more (like Keath) and when that starts happening, you?re in trouble.

English won?t do what you want him to do. He doesn?t have it in him, and he won?t get it with ANOTHER preseason.
Him as a #1 ruck is a bust and if we continue with this, then we are struggling to win a final.

Hopefully Darcy has a big preseason in the gym and can take that #1 mantle from round 1.

Like you, I just wish we had fwds who are actual fwds?what we would love to get players like Gunston/Bruest in their prime, or a Mihocek type player?not these dud mids who have to play half fwd/fwd coz there?s nowhere they can play, or we have no one better.

Signing McNeil, Buku and Dureya on just shows me where this list is?lose Macrae, Smith, Garcia? Daniel? Then unless we have a massive trade/draft period, I expect us to drop next year, as I can?t see Gallagher, West, VDM, Bramble etc etc making much if any improvement.

mighty_west
11-09-2024, 07:19 PM
2 years for McNeil is even worse

I would have thought a 1 year deal would have been enough, that said the MC obviously rate him as does Bucks who raves about his and VDM'S pressure games.

1eyedog
11-09-2024, 07:42 PM
I can see Libba and jones in particular having a massive decline by mid way 2025. Jones showed glimpses towards the end of the year. He?s been falling over more (like Keath) and when that starts happening, you?re in trouble.

English won?t do what you want him to do. He doesn?t have it in him, and he won?t get it with ANOTHER preseason.
Him as a #1 ruck is a bust and if we continue with this, then we are struggling to win a final.

Hopefully Darcy has a big preseason in the gym and can take that #1 mantle from round 1.

Like you, I just wish we had fwds who are actual fwds?what we would love to get players like Gunston/Bruest in their prime, or a Mihocek type player?not these dud mids who have to play half fwd/fwd coz there?s nowhere they can play, or we have no one better.

Signing McNeil, Buku and Dureya on just shows me where this list is?lose Macrae, Smith, Garcia? Daniel? Then unless we have a massive trade/draft period, I expect us to drop next year, as I can?t see Gallagher, West, VDM, Bramble etc etc making much if any improvement.

I think Bramble has become quite a good player and best 22 not sure how much he needs to improve but even an incremental improvement will be a bonus. Love his year.
West I think has improvement in him as well. He can show he can be very dynamic just needs some consistency and to find more ways to impact the game for longer.

I think we'll keep Daniel now Jack and Baz are firm outs.

Gallagher and Buku. Who knows!

Sedat
11-09-2024, 08:36 PM
Dylan Moore was barely able to stay in the system at the last minute as a rookie in 2021.

McNeill had a much improved season and plays a role that is absolutely critical in the modern game. We need more McNeill and VDM types on the list, not less.

Stevo
12-09-2024, 08:49 AM
I've been going over some of the comments regarding suggested contracts that some of our more higher profile players like English and Smith should get and now the more penny pinching debates on players like Khamis, Duryea and McNeil.
I don't see that 2 year deals for McNeil and Khamis as much of an issue given they had their best seasons but it's interesting to get all the varied views. I really enjoy that.
Then we have the more lavish almost reckless type approaches of suggesting that the club should cough up big money and long term deals at the likes of Smith and English just to get them to sign on at any cost.
I'm with Sedat, it's not a problem to carry some of the lesser lights on the list especially if they are coming off their best seasons and can play a couple of roles for us.

ledge
12-09-2024, 09:09 AM
I've been going over some of the comments regarding suggested contracts that some of our more higher profile players like English and Smith should get and now the more penny pinching debates on players like Khamis, Duryea and McNeil.
I don't see that 2 year deals for McNeil and Khamis as much of an issue given they had their best seasons but it's interesting to get all the varied views. I really enjoy that.
Then we have the more lavish almost reckless type approaches of suggesting that the club should cough up big money and long term deals at the likes of Smith and English just to get them to sign on at any cost.
I'm with Sedat, it's not a problem to carry some of the lesser lights on the list especially if they are coming off their best seasons and can play a couple of roles for us.

It’s okay to get rid of players but you have to make sure the ones coming in are better .
Once you get into the 3rd round of the draft it’s a bit of a lotto.
Unless you’re trading for a player you don’t know if it’s an improvement.
I believe we have changed tact to speed , this is why Macrae and Daniel were not first choice.
Remember the old saying the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
I think O Driscoll was a bigger blow to us than we know.
I am not sure where Sanders fits in either he is a bit of a plodder, is he the inside mid who gets it out to the speed ? Well that was Macrae so I can’t work it out.

Mantis
12-09-2024, 09:28 AM
I'm ok with McNeil & Khamis getting 2 years. Bothe made ground this year and have showed they're capable of improvement which is all that we ask for in younger players.

But I am ****ing pissed off that we can't find a way to offer Garcia the same... it was plainly obvious last Friday night that our team is crying out for pace around the ball and we going to let someone who has that in spades depart for something like pick 50 something.

Generally, I'm not that worried about who we discard, but this one is really shitting me.

bornadog
12-09-2024, 09:32 AM
I'm ok with McNeil & Khamis getting 2 years. Bothe made ground this year and have showed they're capable of improvement which is all that we ask for in younger players.

But I am ****ing pissed off that we can't find a way to offer Garcia the same... it was plainly obvious last Friday night that our team is crying out for pace around the ball and we going to let someone who has that in spades depart for something like pick 50 something.

Generally, I'm not that worried about who we discard, but this one is really shitting me.

Ridiculous to think we would let a young bloke Garcia go - madness

Grantysghost
12-09-2024, 09:34 AM
Agree re Garcia.

Surely we have a spot for him.

He brings lots to the table we don't have in spades.

The Underdog
12-09-2024, 09:49 AM
I'm dissapointed, I lobbied hard to be able to run his water and apply the deep heat before games but all we ended up with was two years.

For those whinging about the length, why doesn't he deserve two years?

He improved out of sight and worked harder than most every game for YOUR team.

He's probably on minimum chips so 2 x 250 say is fair reward for a guy who sets standards with his preparation, effort and ability to get the most out of himself.

Not every player is going to be a star.

For mine one year would be an insulting offer.

Also : you can all get stuffed :cool:

Two more years for my short king.

GVGjr
12-09-2024, 10:12 AM

I get that, we have opened the door for other clubs. From what I have seen Garcia seems to have done a solid apprenticeship and for whatever reason we haven't made much of an effort to stick with him. Is it his defensive efforts or something else? I'm really not sure.

Happy Days
12-09-2024, 10:43 AM
Yeah I’m getting really annoyed with Garcia too. I can see (or at least am aware of) the thinking behind why he wasn’t an automatic inclusion but what he actually can do is exactly what we should be looking to bring in.

Rocket Science
12-09-2024, 11:10 AM
Happy to grind this this axe til there's nothing left but if little else surely Garcia's up to being tasked with whatever Harmes was purportedly recruited for while we gauge how equipped he is for more responsibility in time.

JanLorMill
12-09-2024, 11:20 AM
No one has said McNeil or Buku shouldn’t have gotten contracts. It’s the 2 years instead of just 1. They were both lucky to be on the list at all this year. Whilst they improved it was from a low base. Can’t move on blokes like Cleary this season when not in our plans because he got the extra year.

Axe Man
16-09-2024, 04:47 PM
Bulldogs AFL list update (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1657147/bulldogs-afl-list-update)

The Western Bulldogs confirmed two changes to their AFL playing list on Monday.

Dominic Bedendo and Kelsey Rypstra have been informed that they will not be offered contracts for the 2025 season.

Bedendo, 22, was selected with pick No.55 in the 2020 AFL Draft and played two senior games in 2022.

Rypstra, 20, was recruited from North Adelaide in this year’s Mid-Season Rookie Draft and had yet to play a senior game after suffering a hamstring injury in the VFL.

General Manager of List and Recruiting Sam Power thanked both players for their contributions.

"Dom has made a significantly positive impact in his time at the Club and represented the Bulldogs with distinction at the highest level,” Power said.

“Unfortunately Kelsey was unable to build continuity due to injury but we appreciate all of his efforts in his short time with us.

"We wish both players all the best for the future and they will always be welcome at Mission Whitten Oval."

FrediKanoute
16-09-2024, 11:21 PM
Agree re Garcia.

Surely we have a spot for him.

He brings lots to the table we don't have in spades.

I agree, given we are letting Macrae go and Smith has decided he wants to go, Garcia has to be in the midfield mix. We were a better team with him in the middle. his speed and aggression are a dynamic we are short on.

The Underdog
18-09-2024, 06:58 PM
AFL.com reporting we’ve offered Garcia a 2 year contract, but he’s weighing it up.

GVGjr
18-09-2024, 07:32 PM
AFL.com reporting we’ve offered Garcia a 2 year contract, but he’s weighing it up.

We've taken a bit longer than we should have, hopefully can get this sorted.

bulldogtragic
18-09-2024, 07:34 PM
We've taken a bit longer than we should have, hopefully can get this sorted.

Doesn’t sound great to me.

Grantysghost
18-09-2024, 07:38 PM
Wonder if it was due to Macrae request.

FrediKanoute
18-09-2024, 09:49 PM
Doesn’t sound great to me.

I don't know. Hard to tell. Is there really much interest for him? Whom? WCE probably given the WA connection, but does he really want to be a midfielder in a team that is going nowhere fast or be part of a rotation in a team playing finals.

Given the age profile of our midfield, the guys leaving and his form when injury free, he is in prime position to play more football and become a key cog.

bulldogtragic
18-09-2024, 09:52 PM
I don't know. Hard to tell. Is there really much interest for him? Whom? WCE probably given the WA connection, but does he really want to be a midfielder in a team that is going nowhere fast or be part of a rotation in a team playing finals.

Given the age profile of our midfield, the guys leaving and his form when injury free, he is in prime position to play more football and become a key cog.

I read four other clubs have interest in him. I agree with you second point and that isn’t enough for him to sign. Hence, doesn’t sound good that he moves up the pecking order next year and doesn’t jump at the offer.

ledge
21-09-2024, 09:24 AM

That second line would be why Busslinger signed another two years with our age demographic in the backline.

Grantysghost
06-10-2024, 10:55 AM
With Bont coming out of contract end of 25, how soon do we expect something to get done?

I'd hope we have him tied away pretty soon!

Rocco Jones
06-10-2024, 11:03 AM
With Bont coming out of contract end of 25, how soon do we expect something to get done?

If we trade away Daniel, Macrae and Smith without getting in a player on a large contract, we should have a lot of cap space. What we do with frontloading etc will be interesting.

Happy Days
06-10-2024, 11:41 AM
If we trade away Daniel, Macrae and Smith without getting in a player on a large contract, we should have a lot of cap space. What we do with frontloading etc will be interesting.

Not to say that Bont isn’t worth whatever he wants, but using a new warchest to sign players we already have because we’re already perfect would be some Bulldogs shit.

Grantysghost
06-10-2024, 11:42 AM
And length. I know he's wanted shorted deals to keep himself motivated.

I'm kind of wanting another four or five though at whatever he wants.

Grantysghost
06-10-2024, 11:45 AM
Not to say that Bont isn’t worth whatever he wants, but using a new warchest to sign players we already have because we’re already perfect would be some Bulldogs shit.
We could do a mock up of him in his new Bulldogs jumper.

mjp
06-10-2024, 12:12 PM
I read four other clubs have interest in him.

My understanding is that he does have offers from other clubs but they are DFA offers...basically he will get a job somewhere but no-one will trade for him.

bulldogtragic
06-10-2024, 12:15 PM
My understanding is that he does have offers from other clubs but they are DFA offers...basically he will get a job somewhere but no-one will trade for him.

If that isn’t a great sales pitch what is?

chef
06-10-2024, 12:15 PM

Hope he doesn't like coa$tal living.

Grantysghost
06-10-2024, 12:25 PM
Hope he doesn't like coa$tal living.
That could be the end of me.

azabob
07-10-2024, 05:59 PM
Power and Co have upped our offer to Garcia from two to three years.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1241367/inside-trading-gold-coast-suns-preference-to-deal-with-pies-western-bulldogs-up-offer-hawk-ethan-phillips-gets-interest

EasternWest
07-10-2024, 07:23 PM
Power and Co have upped our offer to Garcia from two to three years.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1241367/inside-trading-gold-coast-suns-preference-to-deal-with-pies-western-bulldogs-up-offer-hawk-ethan-phillips-gets-interest

Completely on the nose. We shouldn't have dicked him around to start with.

G-Mo77
07-10-2024, 07:59 PM

It sounds like we're desperate, all our rumoured targets are going elsewhere, a couple of our senior players sound like they're going as well as Baz, we can longer afford to let him slip. 2 years is enough for Garcia, 3 is overs and a desperate grab.

jazzadogs
07-10-2024, 08:09 PM

Has he actually shown enough to get more than one? Who has better exposed form - McNeill or Garcia?

People had breakdowns about McNeill getting two, but we're fine with Garcia getting 2-3.

The market has determined that he deserves more than two to stay - I'm comfortable with us offering that to keep a guy with talent at the club.

angelopetraglia
07-10-2024, 08:57 PM
Has he actually shown enough to get more than one? Who has better exposed form - McNeill or Garcia?

People had breakdowns about McNeill getting two, but we're fine with Garcia getting 2-3.

The market has determined that he deserves more than two to stay - I'm comfortable with us offering that to keep a guy with talent at the club.

He is 23. With the age profile of our midfield, we don't really havea choice. We have not been able to attract any midfield talent to the club and our draft hand has been compromised by Jamarra/Darcy/Croft.

We really need Sanders to be an A Grade 200+ player.

jazzadogs
07-10-2024, 09:26 PM
He is 23. With the age profile of our midfield, we don't really havea choice. We have not been able to attract any midfield talent to the club and our draft hand has been compromised by Jamarra/Darcy/Croft.

We really need Sanders to be an A Grade 200+ player.

Yeh I don't disagree that Garcia's age and skills help our list. I was more comparing to McNeil in the 'garcia is clearly worth more than two years, we disrespected him by offering less' chat.

McNeil is also 23. He's played 54 games for 25 goals.

Garcia is 23, has played 31 games, 13 goals, ave 12 disposals and only twice had over 20 disposals.

All I'm saying is neither of them are THAT good, and 1-2 year deals were appropriate offers for them. Garcia got offers from other clubs and we bumped his up. I think that's good business.