PDA

View Full Version : 2020 WB Membership Thread - Target 50,000

Pages : 1 [2]

Eastdog
29-04-2020, 05:21 PM
Received an email from the club today to do a survey in regards to the 2020 season impact on the membership. This one would be a good survey to do.

Axe Man
29-04-2020, 05:31 PM
Received an email from the club today to do a survey in regards to the 2020 season impact on the membership. This one would be a good survey to do.

I don't normally do surveys but I did complete this one - it's important for the club to know what members expectations are for 2020 and 2021.

Eastdog
29-04-2020, 05:35 PM
I don't normally do surveys but I did complete this one - it's important for the club to know what members expectations are for 2020 and 2021.

Yep absolutely.

GVGjr
29-04-2020, 07:58 PM

I always try to complete them. I don't think I have missed any for a long while now
I just trust the fact that club wouldn't send them out if the information they're requesting wasn't really needed

The only one I felt dudded on was the Western Bulldogs name change. I didn't like the way they put that survey together

Eastdog
01-05-2020, 02:41 PM
Completed that survey last night. It is good for the club to hear what members have to say.

Scraggers
01-05-2020, 04:19 PM
I still don't understand why you are not given he choice to receive the members paraphernalia with your membership or not ... I have over thirty Bulldogs hats that sit in a pile in my house right next to the 15 scarves. Surely i could have the choice to pay $10 more if i want the pack like they currently do for the beanies/jumpers/polos etc

bornadog
01-05-2020, 06:27 PM
I still don't understand why you are not given he choice to receive the members paraphernalia with your membership or not ... I have over thirty Bulldogs hats that sit in a pile in my house right next to the 15 scarves. Surely i could have the choice to pay $10 more if i want the pack like they currently do for the beanies/jumpers/polos etc

The survey sent out this week asks those questions, so sounds like that is what they are considering, ie pay extra if you want the paraphernalia.

In the past I have donated my caps and scarves to the homeless. I must admit it has built up again, so maybe this winter there is a need.

GVGjr
01-05-2020, 07:37 PM
The survey sent out this week asks those questions, so sounds like that is what they are considering, ie pay extra if you want the paraphernalia.

In the past I have donated my caps and scarves to the homeless. I must admit it has built up again, so maybe this winter there is a need.

Yep, mine goes to Vinnies

AndrewP6
01-05-2020, 10:56 PM

I didn’t receive any such email. Hard to have a say when you’re not asked.

Eastdog
01-05-2020, 11:06 PM
I didn’t receive any such email. Hard to have a say when you’re not asked.

Interesting Andrew. Maybe they'll send one to you next week.

azabob
02-05-2020, 02:38 PM

I thought there was the choice this year?

AndrewP6
02-05-2020, 02:49 PM
Interesting Andrew. Maybe they'll send one to you next week.

Got it. Not sure what the hold up was.

Bulldog4life
09-05-2020, 02:30 PM
Yep, mine goes to Vinnies

I have given a number to people without a team. 8 or 10 off the top of my head. I also get a commitment off them that they will follow the doggies. I will keep doing it too.

bornadog
20-05-2020, 05:29 PM
Options delivered to 2020 Bulldogs members (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/692805/options-delivered-to-2020-bulldogs-members)

The Western Bulldogs have written to their access members today, outlining a number of options relating to their 2020 memberships.

Due to the coronavirus pandemic and the changes to the 2020 AFL season, including the absence of crowds at games for the foreseeable future, the Bulldogs have proactively contacted their membership base today by email or text message or by post over the coming days.

Members were asked whether they would like to pledge their 2020 membership, or request a call from the Club to discuss either partial or full refund options.

Members who pledge their membership to the Club will receive a number of exclusive entitlements, including a membership price freeze for 2021, a free 2021 membership upgrade, a commemorative member recognition fulfilment item in 2021 and exclusive member content for the balance of 2020 as AFL games resume.

The Club has been overwhelmed by offers of additional financial support from a number of members, so those wishing to do so can make an additional contribution by making a donation directly to the Club. Some of the funds raised will be used to ‘pay It forward’ to other members facing financial hardship, by covering the cost of their membership.

VISIT THE BRED BULLDOG HUB FOR MORE INFORMATION ON MEMBER OPTIONS (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/bredbulldog)

“We remain incredibly humbled and grateful to so many of you who have reached out to confirm your commitment as a Bulldogs member as we prepare to resume our season without you there in the stands with us,” CEO Ameet Bains explained in an email to members.

“By now you’ve heard so much about the challenges facing the AFL industry as we seek to fight our way through. There’s no doubting the future of football will be different, and our businesses will be different as we continue to adapt to the changing financial landscape.

“We continue to maintain a bold plan and vision for the future that we’re determined to see through – but the reality is we need your help if we are to succeed.

“We’ve all got a role to play as we seek to overcome the challenges in front of us, and your role as a member is just as important now as it was for those who fought for the Club’s survival in 1989 and during other troubled times through our history.”

Members and fans have also been encouraged to show their passion for the red, white and blue on social media by creating their own personalised ‘Bred Bulldog’ photo frame or profile picture.

GVGjr
20-05-2020, 06:29 PM
I say thanks to my grandparents frequently that they sold me on being a Bulldogs for Life type supporter of this club.
The communication above that BAD posted just reinforces that the club values supporters as much as many of us value their efforts in running the club.

I'll be looking to make a donation very soon.

bulldogsthru&thru
07-08-2020, 05:27 PM
https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/screaming-from-home-afl-clubs-stunning-covid-membership-numbers-c-1223348?fbclid=IwAR249ZxrHjlE26oG8OfcLNjyGfRXL8rTWfdp9yWJ4kh fUn08pMiQfRiPFJU

Are we seriously basically dead last in membership out of the Vic clubs? And close to 10k behind the saints? I never would have thought this could eventuate after a premiership. What are we doing wrong?

comrade
07-08-2020, 05:33 PM
https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/screaming-from-home-afl-clubs-stunning-covid-membership-numbers-c-1223348?fbclid=IwAR249ZxrHjlE26oG8OfcLNjyGfRXL8rTWfdp9yWJ4kh fUn08pMiQfRiPFJU

Are we seriously basically dead last in membership out of the Vic clubs? And close to 10k behind the saints? I never would have thought this could eventuate after a premiership. What are we doing wrong?

Fans are voting with their wallets. Our performances since 2016 have been unacceptable and we've failed to capture the hearts and minds of new and/or fringe supporters. During uncertain times, people tend to be a lot more risk averse and may see investing their money into a flaky footy side as a not so prudent decision.

That being said, all Vic clubs besides St Kilda and Carlton (2 teams riding the hype train) are feeling the pinch. Essendon are 16k members down on last year!

bulldogsthru&thru
07-08-2020, 05:42 PM
Fans are voting with their wallets. Our performances since 2016 have been unacceptable and we've failed to capture the hearts and minds of new and/or fringe supporters. During uncertain times, people tend to be a lot more risk averse and may see investing their money into a flaky footy side as a not so prudent decision.

That being said, all Vic clubs besides St Kilda and Carlton (2 teams riding the hype train) are feeling the pinch. Essendon are 16k members down on last year!

That’s true. The saints must have a hidden underground world of bandwagon supporters. Whenever they get a sniff their numbers skyrocket, yet when they’re down they nosedive

Bulldog Joe
07-08-2020, 05:56 PM
The raw numbers don't actually depict the value for the club.

I would be interested in $ value of those memberships.

We may still compare poorly, but it would be more relevant to the bottom line.

4 $50 memberships is the same revenue as 1 @ $200.
Even then 4x $50 memberships might have a higher total expense in fulfillment cost than 1x $200 membership.

Prince Imperial
07-08-2020, 05:57 PM

That figure is from the club website which has not been updated since March whereas other club's websites have been.

Axe Man
07-08-2020, 06:01 PM
Also I am assuming those numbers don't reflect the number of members who requested refunds. The club has said they were pleasantly surprised how many members have let their membership ride and as a result our financial position should be better than first expected.

bornadog
07-08-2020, 06:29 PM
Also I am assuming those numbers don't reflect the number of members who requested refunds. The club has said they were pleasantly surprised how many members have let their membership ride and as a result our financial position should be better than first expected.

Exactly right. Especially this year the end result is what matters. We will most likely break even which means we don't touch our big surplus, and we don't have any debts. Saints have debts of over $10 million, and some of those clubs listed have to borrow money from the AFL to keep alive despite the membership numbers.

A mate of mine, a Hawks supporter said the club offered refunds in full or half, and he took up the half refund. When I queried him , he said they have plenty of money.

Prince Imperial
07-08-2020, 08:41 PM
According to Caro:

The Western Bulldogs membership is also up, 12 per cent ahead of 2019 with that club one of several rewarding members' loyalty not only with club merchandise but also an automatic upgrade in 2021.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/afl-fans-to-the-rescue-20200807-p55jgx.html

Eastdog
07-08-2020, 09:25 PM
According to Caro:

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/afl-fans-to-the-rescue-20200807-p55jgx.html

So we would have over 40K members by now not 38,401.

CarnTheScray
08-08-2020, 04:28 PM
Is that a 12% increase on our 2019 total? Because if so..
44373 x 1.12
=49,698

Danjul
08-08-2020, 05:19 PM
Fans are voting with their wallets. Our performances since 2016 have been unacceptable and we've failed to capture the hearts and minds of new and/or fringe supporters.

Applying the 70% completion rule to our recent seasons means investigating where the team is after round 15. Let’s see:

2007. 7th
2008. 2
2009. 3
2010. 6
2011. 11
2012. 14
2013. 15
2014. 12
2015. 6
2016. 6
2017. 10
2018. 14
2019. 13

This suggests we are worse as a team to follow than we were 10 years ago.

Yes we got a premiership in 2016. It is doing nothing for our membership now. That was just a good month. We had to capitalise on it and we didn’t.

Consistently being in the bottom half of the competition is something to avoid.

it is the excitement from consistently winning that attracts new members and holds old ones. And we are not providing it.

jeemak
08-08-2020, 05:56 PM
So being up 12% on last year is bad somehow?

Danjul
08-08-2020, 06:04 PM
So being up 12% on last year is bad somehow?
It certainly can be.

12% of what?

was last year great?

In the last 9 years we have never been in the top four approaching the business end of the season. We have not been getting the benefit of interest developing in the wider community.

So we discuss how good an honourable loss was last week, and the real world could not care less.

Bulldog Joe
08-08-2020, 06:11 PM
Whatever the membership numbers really are, we can be confident the club is in a very sound financial position.

Financial viability determines how well the club can prosper into the future.

Grantysghost
08-08-2020, 06:30 PM
Whatever the membership numbers really are, we can be confident the club is in a very sound financial position.

Financial viability determines how well the club can prosper into the future.

Yes. Being one of the only clubs that didn't need a hand out due to the virus was an amazing achievement.

jeemak
08-08-2020, 06:46 PM
It certainly can be.

12% of what?

was last year great?

In the last 9 years we have never been in the top four approaching the business end of the season. We have not been getting the benefit of interest developing in the wider community.

So we discuss how good an honourable loss was last week, and the real world could not care less.

We've played finals three years out of five and we won a flag, after going through a rebuild that was necessary after a period in which we played in three preliminary finals in a row.

Our membership has increased steadily and we're in a position financially that enables us to be independent of the AFL.

So if we're up 12% on last year that should be seen as a positive. I get we're inconsistent but we've had huge turnover on our list and guess what, finishing top four isn't that easy so I'm not sure what you're rambling about.

azabob
08-08-2020, 06:55 PM
What club merchandise did we members get?

Danjul
08-08-2020, 07:08 PM
We've played finals three years out of five and we won a flag, after going through a rebuild that was necessary after a period in which we played in three preliminary finals in a row.

Our membership has increased steadily and we're in a position financially that enables us to be independent of the AFL.

So if we're up 12% on last year that should be seen as a positive. I get we're inconsistent but we've had huge turnover on our list and guess what, finishing top four isn't that easy so I'm not sure what you're rambling about.

I’m rambling about the membership number in the list following the link. The one that is not far above GWS which is almost an imaginary club in a state that doesn’t follow AFL much. Are we double Gold Coast? A club which has been a basket case. How do we compare with Brisbane? Oh, so we are about 10k up on them.

The fact is, and look at the list I showed, when excitement has been building at the beginning of seasons the Dogs have been missing. Our performances have not been acceptable since the bye in 2017, 3 years ago. In the first half of last year we were only newsworthy because we seemed to be heading for the wooden spoon. And that’s going to affect membership.

jeemak
08-08-2020, 07:13 PM
So now you're saying that it's because we start seasons poorly in recent years that we're only twelve per cent up on last year's membership and that's bad, but you previously said because we don't finish top four every year that's bad for membership which is why we're only twelve per cent up on last year.

Crystal clear now, thanks.

GVGjr
08-08-2020, 07:17 PM
There would be a number of sporting clubs around the world that would love to have our sort of membership numbers
If we can get back into top 4 contention for a couple of years I suspect we will set all sorts of records

bornadog
08-08-2020, 07:19 PM
You really can't look at the numbers this year, it is futile to say the least. The western Suburbs is always one of the hardest hit during economic downturns, and therefore membership. Once supporters knew we would not see games live and that they have lost their livelihood, membership was the least of their concern. Paying the mortgage, feeding the kids etc on Jobkeeper is tough.

Danjul
08-08-2020, 07:21 PM
There would be a number of sporting clubs around the world that would love to have our sort of membership numbers
If we can get back into top 4 contention for a couple of years I suspect we will set all sorts of records

That is exactly what I am saying. Do you honestly see us back in top 4 contention. What has happened recently to make you confident?

And I don’t recommend comparisons with non AFL clubs because they are not who we have to outshine.

GVGjr
08-08-2020, 07:47 PM
That is exactly what I am saying. Do you honestly see us back in top 4 contention. What has happened recently to make you confident?

And I don’t recommend comparisons with non AFL clubs because they are not who we have to outshine.

I'm having a look at Richmond at the moment and I honestly think we have a better playing list than theirs and yet they have been successful for a few years now.
The window should be well and truly open and challenge for us is to maximise the strength in our playing list and success should come

The Bulldogs Bite
08-08-2020, 08:02 PM
I'm having a look at Richmond at the moment and I honestly think we have a better playing list than theirs and yet they have been successful for a few years now.
The window should be well and truly open and challenge for us is to maximise the strength in our playing list and success should come

Tigers still have about 5 out don't they, maybe more? I think their list is far far more balanced than ours and they certainly have as many, if not more genuine superstars.

I know they just lost to Port who were phenomenal, but I wouldn't sleep on Richmond.

Danjul
08-08-2020, 08:05 PM
I defer to your expertise. I don’t think we have used our list well but, because I don’t watch much football other than our games, I will take some confidence from what you say.

GVGjr
08-08-2020, 08:11 PM
I defer to your expertise. I don’t think we have used our list well but, because I don’t watch much football other than our games, I will take some confidence from what you say.

That is the challenge for us, we must get the best out of what is a pretty good list. At the moment we aren't there yet

GVGjr
08-08-2020, 08:13 PM
Tigers still have about 5 out don't they, maybe more? I think their list is far far more balanced than ours and they certainly have as many, if not more genuine superstars.

I know they just lost to Port who were phenomenal, but I wouldn't sleep on Richmond.

I think it's closer than many might think. Richmond are more confident and better organised at the moment. If we can close that gap we will improve a fair bit and our membership numbers will continue to grow