PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the WesternBulldogs - Josh Bruce

bornadog
16-10-2019, 06:58 PM
Great pickup, should be at his peak.

https://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/WesternBulldogs/Hero/2017_HERO/2019Trade-Social-JB-940x599-ART.jpg

The Western Bulldogs have landed their first target of the 2019 Telstra AFL Trade Period, securing experienced key forward Josh Bruce.

Bruce joins the Bulldogs from St Kilda, in exchange for selections 32 and 51 in the upcoming NAB AFL Draft.

The 27-year-old has agreed to terms on a four-year deal to call VU Whitten Oval home until the end of 2023.

He played every game for the Saints in 2019, kicking 36 goals and finishing ninth in their best and fairest.

General Manager of List and Recruiting, Sam Power, said the acquisition of Bruce was a major boost for the Bulldogs’ forward line.

For all the latest player movement news, visit the Bulldogs’ Telstra Trade Hub, presented by Greville Pabst, Australia's Leading Property Advisor.

“We felt we needed to add an experienced key forward to our mix and Josh certainly fits that category,” Power said.

“He has been a consistent player now at AFL level for a number of seasons.

“Josh is a good athlete who competes well. He is a strong contested mark who consistently hits the scoreboard, as he has shown by kicking 36 or more goals in four of the past five years.

“He will be a great support to our young key forwards in Aaron Naughton and Josh Schache, and we are confident they can all work well together in the same team.”

Bruce has played 20 or more games in four of the past five seasons – with his 2018 campaign hindered by injury.

He arrives at the Kennel having kicked 171 goals from 113 AFL matches. He made his AFL debut in 2012 for the GWS Giants, before joining St Kilda ahead of the 2014 season.

Bumper Bulldogs
16-10-2019, 07:00 PM
Finally some bloodying good news.

Welcome Josh

Topdog
16-10-2019, 07:02 PM
Gave away our 2nd and 3rd and got no picks back? Doesn't sound promising for Keath.

But this is about Bruce, so welcome to the Bulldogs family.

Scraggers
16-10-2019, 07:03 PM
They call me Bruuuuuuce !!!

(sorry ... it had to be said ... I'll show myself out)

bulldogtragic
16-10-2019, 07:09 PM
Very good signing and being that pick 51 was demanded by Sam Power to be thrown in to trade Marcus Adams as a sweetener, we got sweet alright.

Marcus Adams: Pick 32 & 51
Josh Bruce: Pick 32 & 51

I think we won this.

Testekill
16-10-2019, 07:09 PM
Think he's like a top 5-10 contested mark in the league; that's a lot of aerial domination between him and Naughton.

bornadog
16-10-2019, 07:16 PM
Think he's like a top 5-10 contested mark in the league; that's a lot of aerial domination between him and Naughton.

5th best. Naughton number one

The Bulldogs Bite
16-10-2019, 07:18 PM
Great pick up - very happy about this one.

Rocket Science
16-10-2019, 07:21 PM

Finally we can make hay from Lachie Hunter's skied lollypops into forward fifty.

Just clunk everything lads.

bornadog
16-10-2019, 07:21 PM
He is a big solid unit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckW-JETDsjU

Happy Days
16-10-2019, 07:22 PM
Welcome aboard Josh great to have you also don't check my post history.

bornadog
16-10-2019, 07:23 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1xZbxDNqGE

bulldogtragic
16-10-2019, 07:23 PM
Welcome aboard Josh great to have you also don't check my post history.

Good point. Me neither. They're good though.

bornadog
16-10-2019, 07:25 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EG-4uI9UwAAZ0r7?format=jpg&name=small

comrade
16-10-2019, 07:26 PM
Very good signing and being that pick 51 was demanded by Sam Power to be thrown in to trade Marcus Adams as a sweetener, we got sweet alright.

Marcus Adams: Pick 32 & 51
Josh Bruce: Pick 32 & 51

I think we won this.

Do we even have a list spot to use pick 51?

comrade
16-10-2019, 07:27 PM
Baroooooose!

bulldogtragic
16-10-2019, 07:27 PM

Depends what happens with Keath.

Testekill
16-10-2019, 07:34 PM

So we lost from our list

* Boyd
* Picken
* Morris

and currently have Webb, Dickson & Roberts uncontracted. We need to take three open spots on our list into the draft so we'd end up using it but it'd be as a rookie upgrade probably

kruder
16-10-2019, 07:44 PM
Picking for needs, great selection!

I have a feeling Sam will roll over on pick 13(not fussed) but he has done a great job since coming to the club.

bornadog
16-10-2019, 07:48 PM
Picking for needs, great selection!

I have a feeling Sam will roll over on pick 13(not fussed) but he has done a great job since coming to the club.

Hang in there Kruder

bornadog
16-10-2019, 07:51 PM
David King:

AFL great David King has labelled the deal the Western Bulldogs brokered for St Kilda forward Josh Bruce as “an absolute bargain”.

bulldogtragic
16-10-2019, 07:53 PM
Because it is.

Twodogs
16-10-2019, 07:54 PM
David King:

That'd be David "hold my beer' King!

Eastdog
16-10-2019, 08:23 PM
Welcome to the Dogs Josh! Hoping for plenty of goals!

hujsh
16-10-2019, 09:40 PM
https://www.afl.com.au/video/2019-10-16/get-excited-dogs-the-best-of-new-recruit-josh-bruce

Watching this package of Bruce I'm quite encouraged not by his marking (we knew about that) but by his speed and tackling. I know everyone's highlights look amazing but if that's the kind of pressure and ground ball work he gives us going forward then I can see a forward half with the 3 towers working out.

strebla
16-10-2019, 09:47 PM
He brings much more than goal kicking and marking, he gives us that I don't want to be a sitting duck factor the grunt and muscle !!! He is very intimidating and just what our very young forwards need. Oh yes I'm very happy to say welcome Mr Bruce looking forward to you smashing packs for the next 4 years!!!

Mofra
16-10-2019, 10:08 PM
I'm just glad Naughton and Bruce didn't have to like each other's instagram profiles for nothing.

azabob
16-10-2019, 10:13 PM
That'd be David "hold my beer' King!

While I put a bet on for the rising star.

bulldogtragic
16-10-2019, 11:27 PM
I'm just glad Naughton and Bruce didn't have to like each other's instagram profiles for nothing.

After last year, Bruce has restored my faith in random or otherwise social media activity.

bornadog
17-10-2019, 10:00 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrZZdWHPZtw

The Doctor
17-10-2019, 10:07 AM
Get the feeling Josh 'The Bruce' will quickly become a favourite with the Doggies faithful. Great to have him aboard.
Bring on 2020.

bulldogtragic
17-10-2019, 10:07 AM
With our tall forwards: Bruce, Schache, Naughton (Ugle-Hagan) all left footers
With our smaller forwards: Dickson, Dale, Lloyd all right footers

A random observation for today.

Mofra
17-10-2019, 10:10 AM
With our tall forwards: Bruce, Schache, Naughton all left footers
With our smaller forwards: Dickson, Dale, Lloyd all right footers

A random observation for today.
We've played guys before that seemed to have two opposite feet!

Schache and Dale are capable off both feet. I'm pretty sure I read that Simon Beasley was the last player we had who couldn't kick with his opposite foot.

S Coast Simon
17-10-2019, 10:15 AM
Just a little side note. How was his departure from GWS. If it was not pretty he can join us in our epic rivalry. Might have some unfinished business with GWS.

Twodogs
17-10-2019, 10:43 AM

Schache and Dale are capable off both feet. I'm pretty sure I read that Simon Beasley was the last player we had who couldn't kick with his opposite foot.

Surely that can't be right. As an addition I read somewhere that Malthouse hates players kicking on their opposite foot at training. He thinks it's lazy and disorganized.

merantau
17-10-2019, 11:20 AM
He's a good player. Glad we got him.

1eyedog
17-10-2019, 11:39 AM

Never saw the Bald Eagle on the right.

Bulldog4life
17-10-2019, 12:09 PM
Very happy for Josh Bruce to join us. Have always liked his forward craft. A big plus.

merantau
17-10-2019, 12:19 PM
He's a fine player and very courageous too.

Murphy'sLore
17-10-2019, 12:43 PM
Welcome to the Kennel, Josh.

SlimPickens
17-10-2019, 01:13 PM
Smart business. Very good to have Josh at the kennel.

Mofra
17-10-2019, 01:48 PM
Never saw the Bald Eagle on the right.
Ha, yeah his right leg was merely for decoration.

Back to Bruce - I'm glad that post-Boyd we have brought in some players with magnificent hair.

bornadog
17-10-2019, 02:51 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EHCvTKWVAAAQj3c?format=jpg&name=medium

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EHC33VHUwAEQ1a2?format=jpg&name=medium

bornadog
17-10-2019, 03:09 PM
JOSH PRESS CONFERENCE (https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-10-17/why-a-new-dog-left-st-kilda-and-whats-happened-to-his-fingernails)

The Saints were unable to accommodate Bruce's request for a long-term contract, with security being one of the off-field factors for his decision to leave Moorabbin.

Bruce has a young daughter (Poppy) and he's heading to Byron Bay in a few weeks to marry his partner Pip Marques.

"It's been a big couple of weeks, we sold our house a couple of weeks ago too."
Bruce said the youth and star power of the Bulldogs' list had captured his attention.

"I was keeping an eye on the Doggies in the back half of the year."

"Some of the young stars they've got coming through I'm really looking forward to working with - your Aaron Naughton's and Josh Schache's of the world, and obviously one of the best engine rooms in the comp."

"Big Timmy English will be putting it down their (the midfielders) throats and hopefully 'Bont' (Marcus Bontempelli) is putting it down my throat."

Bruce is happy to be 'cannon fodder' for Naughton and Schache, as the Bulldogs go from having a lack of key forwards on the list to one of the most powerful front halves in the league.

"I definitely see us playing in the same forward line. There's definitely room for three talls."

The former Saint is used to playing in a three-pronged attack, and cited how successful Hawthorn had been with three key forwards occupying the same space.

The journey for Bruce has been one with a few stops, but hardly any regrets.

"I had a couple of beers with my manager last night and he remembers coming down to Canberra and picking me up when I was 18 years old."

Bruce started his career with the GWS Giants and finished year 12 in his first year of football, before crossing to St Kilda to play 99 games there. Now he's at what he hopes is his last stop – 'The Kennel'.

"It was a real shame I couldn't get to the 100 (game-mark). Poppy won't be able to be father-daughter in the AFLW, but hopefully I can get to the 100 at the Dogs."

"This is it, no more trades."

The first order of business for Bruce (after his wedding, of course) will be to achieve something he's been 'desperate' to be a part of for his whole career; make the finals.

bornadog
17-10-2019, 03:26 PM
On SEN - listen here (https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=447253)

Sedat
17-10-2019, 03:31 PM
Rather amusing he finished on 99 games for the Saints. They wouldn't want a future gun F/S to come through.

bulldogtragic
17-10-2019, 03:32 PM
Rather amusing he finished on 99 games for the Saints. They wouldn't want a future gun F/S to come through.

So you're saying give him 6 years, accounting for the odd injury...

merantau
17-10-2019, 03:57 PM
If he plays a 100 games for us then we are in for a good few years of footy in the first half of the 2020s

bornadog
17-10-2019, 04:46 PM

"It was a real shame I couldn't get to the 100 (game-mark). Poppy won't be able to be father-daughter in the AFLW, but hopefully I can get to the 100 at the Dogs."

Pretty sure Poppy can play for us as the rule is not 100 games for Father/daughter

ratsmac
17-10-2019, 06:48 PM
Money ball selection at its best. No longer will our young forwards be bullied. I'm pumped that we got him. With Naughton and Bruce roaming around the forward 50 the ball won't hit the ground.

I've always admired Bruce from afar and I still can't understand why the Saints let him go this year. They are putting a fair bit of pressure on King before he's even played a game.

Dry Rot
18-10-2019, 11:07 PM
JOSH PRESS CONFERENCE (https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-10-17/why-a-new-dog-left-st-kilda-and-whats-happened-to-his-fingernails)
Bruce is happy to be 'cannon fodder' for Naughton and Schache

From a Saints perspective, I don't get this.

Surely Bruce would have been great 'cannon fodder' to protect Max King for a couple of years?

GVGjr
19-10-2019, 12:52 AM
From a Saints perspective, I don't get this.

Surely Bruce would have been great 'cannon fodder' to protect Max King for a couple of years?

The cannon fodder remark was made by Bruce not the Saints or us. Neither club sees him in that light
He wanted another 3 year deal 12 months out and they didn't want to commit to that

Membrey, Ryder, Marshall and they would be hoping for McCartin will play around King

I think they were determined to add height to their back line which is why they preferred Howard to Bruce
Howard and Carlisle should be a good tandem for them

jazzadogs
19-10-2019, 11:57 AM
Shouting BAROOOOOOSE every time he marks/kicks the ball is gonna be a real joy for the next few years. First time since cooooooon that we've had that whole crowd 'chant'..although the collective intake of breath when Bont does something brilliant is close.

ratsmac
19-10-2019, 01:41 PM
Josh is away with Koby Stevens and on Koby's Instagram page he had a video where he caught Josh checking out the headline in the HS of himself coming to the dogs. Koby was giving him some stick about it!! :D

GVGjr
20-06-2020, 10:27 PM
I was very disappointed in the performance by Josh Bruce last night and really across his 3 games so far
His marking which was supposed to be a strength hasn't measured up and there is something wrong with the depth of his kicking

I get that this is a disjointed season but he needs to improve very quickly.

Outside of throwing his weight around last night which he absolutely must do anyway it's been a very disappointing start to his Bulldogs careeer

Testekill
21-06-2020, 12:40 PM
I was very disappointed in the performance by Josh Bruce last night and really across his 3 games so far
His marking which was supposed to be a strength hasn't measured up and there is something wrong with the depth of his kicking

Outside of throwing his weight around last night which he absolutely must do anyway it's been a very disappointing start to his Bulldogs careeer

I don't know, I thought his physicality was really important last night and he kept their defenders more conscious of him which helped our smalls. We haven't been doing any favours by not getting it to him in a one v one situation though.

Happy Days
21-06-2020, 12:44 PM
I knew this would happen. I’m so annoyed I talked myself into him.

He shouldn’t be playing ahead of Schache.

GVGjr
21-06-2020, 12:52 PM
I knew this would happen. I’m so annoyed I talked myself into him.

He shouldn’t be playing ahead of Schache.

All is not lost but it hasn't been a great start by Bruce. Hopefully his form will start to improve.

comrade
21-06-2020, 01:08 PM
He’s way too heavy. Needs to trim down so he can move across the ground better.

azabob
21-06-2020, 01:18 PM
All is not lost but it hasn't been a great start by Bruce. Hopefully his form will start to improve.

This week is huge for him. I said in another thread this week we should let him play deep so we keep our forward structure and have Naughton play more a traditional CHF role, but start 30m out and lead up to the wings etc.

It is very easy for Key forwards to get lost at the SCG.

josie
21-06-2020, 02:15 PM
If he had of kicked the missed goal vs saints and vs Fluoro arseholes would he be under discussion? Agree he needs to improve & possibly lose a bit of weight but I loved his work as bodyguard enforcer Friday night.

GVGjr
21-06-2020, 02:34 PM
If he had of kicked the missed goal vs saints and vs Fluoro arseholes would he be under discussion? Agree he needs to improve & possibly lose a bit of weight but I loved his work as bodyguard enforcer Friday night.

It's one of the points I have raised, there isn't something quite right with his kicking depth at the moment and his marking isn't as effective as we thought it might be

He's been given some love for throwing his weight around a bit in answer to the GWS tactics but he was one of the 5 biggest players for us so he should have been doing that anyway.

jeemak
21-06-2020, 03:02 PM
It's really hard for key forwards to come into a system sometimes, and if we're honest that system has been complete rubbish for one and possibly two of three games.

Not sure if the horizontal tri-colours play a trick on the eyes versus the vertical ones, however he'll get better with his fitness and form as the season progresses.

Remi Moses
21-06-2020, 03:34 PM
I think he’s carrying a few extra kg’s
Bit early , but I’d like an improvement of some sort . Does need time to settle though

bornadog
21-06-2020, 04:03 PM
He’s way too heavy. Needs to trim down so he can move across the ground better.

This is something the Hawks are good at. You look at Patton this year and he has trimmed up, same as Lake did when he went across to the Hawks.

Remi Moses
21-06-2020, 07:53 PM
I think there’s fit , then there’s afl fit
Just don’t reckon Josh is there yet

Twodogs
21-06-2020, 08:28 PM

I thought he played quite a good team game. He constantly took whoever his opponent was to spots where he couldn't influence the game or contests. For instance Keath's goal wouldn't have gone through if Josh and his opponent were both standing on the goaline. Naughton was our go to man. Josh took whoever would have been third man up against Aaron out wide.

The shot he had in the first quarter was a howler though.

Happy Days
21-06-2020, 09:04 PM
I thought he played quite a good team game. He constantly took whoever his opponent was to spots where he couldn't influence the game or contests. For instance Keath's goal wouldn't have gone through if Josh and his opponent were both standing on the goaline. Naughton was our go to man. Josh took whoever would have been third man up against Aaron out wide.

That bar is so low it's in the basement.

Rocket Science
03-07-2020, 02:52 PM
He's a wily one our coach. Basically dusting off the Tom Boyd dossier here ...

https://i.ibb.co/mRy32yM/Screen-Shot-2020-07-03-at-1-46-01-pm.png (https://ibb.co/PrWdPWf)

anfo27
03-07-2020, 04:52 PM
Isn't it too hard to say he isn't working hard enough with the extra kegs when its on tv?

chef
12-07-2020, 09:56 PM
Sadly he seems a bit shit. Not the player i thought he was.

GVGjr
12-07-2020, 09:59 PM

A Saints colleague of mine said you will ride the roller coaster with him. Good some weeks, poor others
Said there was too big of a gap between his best and worst performances

Mantis
12-07-2020, 10:03 PM

What help has he had tonight? Schache has been a spectator and with no Naughton to help in the air Bruce has been flying against 2-3 decent tall defenders.

EasternWest
12-07-2020, 10:06 PM
What help has he had tonight? Schache has been a spectator and with no Naughton to help in the air Bruce has been flying against 2-3 decent tall defenders.

I actually think he's at least tried to impact every contest tonight.

chef
12-07-2020, 10:06 PM

Not just tonight, i know he beat up a weak side last week but hes been a bit shit all season.

Maybe i just expect too much out of him.

angelopetraglia
12-07-2020, 10:34 PM
Look at the difference tonight. Every time Bruce in the wet flying against multiple defenders. At the other end their forwards had space and were getting one on ones. I thought Bruce was OK tonight. Probably should have held onto a few he dropped. But they were not sitters.

1eyedog
12-07-2020, 10:35 PM
Bruce was not our problem tonight.

bulldogsthru&thru
12-07-2020, 10:36 PM
Why was our forward line so clogged yet there’s wasn’t? I watched their game last week against the saints and the saints had an empty shopping centre as a forward line. 1v1s and space everywhere. Perhaps that led to a better effort against us

Happy Days
12-07-2020, 10:38 PM
Had a pretty decent go in bad conditions tonight. Apart from one pretty bad dropped chest mark can't be too upset.

The bulldog tragician
12-07-2020, 11:12 PM
It was so congested in there that he had few opportunities, and our delivery was atrocious.

Axe Man
03-09-2020, 02:59 PM
Josh has done an AFL/Bunnings video cooking sausages on the BBQ with his daughter.

https://www.afl.com.au/video/491606

In before the he needs to stop eating so many snags jokes.:D

comrade
03-09-2020, 04:11 PM
Josh has done an AFL/Bunnings video cooking sausages on the BBQ with his daughter.

https://www.afl.com.au/video/491606

In before the he needs to stop eating so many snags jokes.:D

More like Bunnings is the only place he's getting anywhere near the snags at the moment.

Axe Man
03-09-2020, 04:26 PM
More like Bunnings is the only place he's getting anywhere near the snags at the moment.

Or next time he spills a sitter: "bet you wouldn't have dropped it if it was a Bunnings snag".

They practically write themselves.

comrade
03-09-2020, 04:47 PM
Or next time he spills a sitter: "bet you wouldn't have dropped it if it was a Bunnings snag".

They practically write themselves.

Bet you would've grabbed it if it had sauce and onions on it, Brucey.

jeemak
04-09-2020, 12:13 AM
Bet you would've grabbed it if it had sauce and onions on it, Brucey.

The classic "if it was a pie you would have caught it!"

merantau
09-09-2020, 09:48 AM
I am really hoping that Josh Bruce has turned the corner and will become a real factor in the run home. We really need him to be more involved more of the time.

comrade
09-09-2020, 09:51 AM
I am really hoping that Josh Bruce has turned the corner and will become a real factor in the run home. We really need him to be more involved more of the time.

His start to the fourth quarter was a step in the right direction, though after taking a good grab the adrenalin was obviously pumping so much he completely muffed the handball to Hunter. He looks so tight and on edge whenever he gets the ball, seems pretty clear that he's feeling the pressure/burden and it only gets worse when he starts a game poorly.

Hopefully he can get his hands on it early on against the Hawks, and I'd be looking to throw him in the ruck/up field early to get him involved.

GVGjr
09-09-2020, 10:06 AM
His start to the fourth quarter was a step in the right direction, though after taking a good grab the adrenalin was obviously pumping so much he completely muffed the handball to Hunter. He looks so tight and on edge whenever he gets the ball, seems pretty clear that he's feeling the pressure/burden and it only gets worse when he starts a game poorly.

Hopefully he can get his hands on it early on against the Hawks, and I'd be looking to throw him in the ruck/up field early to get him involved.

We should probably either start him in the ruck or on the bench in the first quarter and I think in the ruck might be the better option
His first half efforts have been really poor but typically he's improved a bit later in the game.

If he gets involved early he might be able to have a vastly better game

comrade
09-09-2020, 10:12 AM
We should probably either start him in the ruck or on the bench in the first quarter and I think in the ruck might be the better option
His first half efforts have been really poor but typically he's improved a bit later in the game.

If he gets involved early he might be able to have a vastly better game

If there is a game to try him in the ruck early, it's this one. Hawks options aren't overly physical or athetically gifted so Bruce should at least be able to hold his own. If he can get his hands on it a few times, send him forward and see if it helps his composure.

Grantysghost
09-09-2020, 10:37 AM
I watched him more closely than usual on the weekend. You could see he was really searching for the defender when the ball was coming in long early in the game, that's a confidence thing. You don't trust your own starting position so searching for your opponent to know where to attack from.
He got better as the game went on. I think the stints in the ruck are helping him not have to think about it too much. He is clearly a confidence player, or is this season with us. Guess that makes sense wanting to do well in your new surrounds.
I'm backing him in to be a very important player for the short and long term.

1eyedog
09-09-2020, 10:55 AM
One thing I'm liking from Bruce is he doesn't drop his head. He just repeats his efforts and while he cannot hope to hold his place in the team on his DFA efforts alone, they are at least keeping him in the game and hopefully buying some time for him to regain some form and composure.

azabob
09-09-2020, 11:27 AM
If there is a game to try him in the ruck early, it's this one. Hawks options aren't overly physical or athetically gifted so Bruce should at least be able to hold his own. If he can get his hands on it a few times, send him forward and see if it helps his composure.

Talk about a double edged sword as this sounds like the perfect match up for English to continue to build his confidence.

comrade
09-09-2020, 11:29 AM
Talk about a double edged sword as this sounds like the perfect match up for English to continue to build his confidence.

English should still be the primary ruck for majority of the game, but I wouldn't be opposed to Bruce being thrown in there early to get some touch.

comrade
12-10-2020, 10:22 AM
A weird swipe at Josh Bruce via a Saints trainer at their B&F night. Plenty of laughs in the room to be had at Brucey's expense.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AFL/comments/j93w5h/saints_trainer_has_a_slight_dig_at_josh_bruce/

Happy Days
12-10-2020, 10:45 AM
To be fair I've totally seen him do this now that he mentions it.

EasternWest
12-10-2020, 11:17 AM

Alexa, what is confirmation bias?

comrade
12-10-2020, 11:25 AM
Perhaps the lack of cohesion in our forward line is due to hydration issues related to Bruce's propensity to hog the water bottles? Fingers crossed he puts a lot of effort into sharing the water around over pre-season.

anfo27
12-10-2020, 11:12 PM
A weird swipe at Josh Bruce via a Saints trainer at their B&F night. Plenty of laughs in the room to be had at Brucey's expense.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AFL/comments/j93w5h/saints_trainer_has_a_slight_dig_at_josh_bruce/

Thanks for posting cause i ended up finding this
https://www.reddit.com/r/AFL/comments/j5g3k5/finest_commentary_of_an_u18_brawl_youll_ever_get/
Needed a good laugh!

Throughandthrough
12-10-2020, 11:26 PM

I think they actually had to this year with the COVID stuff

SonofScray
13-10-2020, 06:31 PM

Probably not intended to be a cheap shot, but I hope it is taken that way. Doesn't reflect well on that fella to have a crack at someone not in the room.

Hotdog60
01-02-2021, 07:43 PM
Fighting fit: Bruce’s big change
Key forward Josh Bruce has returned to pre-season with an added point to prove in 2021.

https://resources.westernbulldogs.com.au/photo-resources/2021/02/01/44d8b32d-81d0-4fbc-ac5e-69858777e6c9/HERO_010221_Josh_bruce010221.jpg?width=952&height=592

Key forward Josh Bruce has returned to pre-season with an added point to prove in 2021.

The 28-year-old will enter his second year as a Bulldog noticeable lighter than his first, after a big off-season training push.

Bruce kicked 14 goals from his 17 games last year after arriving at the Kennel from St Kilda, who ultimately ended the Bulldogs’ 2020 campaign in an elimination final.

“At the end of last year, it probably came to a point where I felt like I wasn’t really at my best fitness-wise and wanted to change something up,” he told westernbulldogs.com.au.

“I’ve dropped a few kilos… six or seven kilos, which helps during pre-season in the long summer days.

“I’m running a lot better than I was last year and feeling really fit.

“I’m feeling a lot lighter on the ground, I feel like I’m jumping better and just generally feeling like I’ve got more energy.”

As the senior key forward on the list, Bruce is also looking to work with the younger Bulldogs coming through in Aaron Naughton (21 years old), Josh Schache (23) and number one draft pick Jamarra Ugle-Hagan (18).

“The physique was one thing I’ve focused on, but also my skills and honing the leadership side of my game in the forward line,” Bruce said.

“With Jamarra coming in, I’m really looking forward to working with him, Josh Schache and obviously ‘Naughts’ who I built a good rapport with last year.

“I’m looking forward to developing the forward line and us as a group.”

LINK (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/856478/fighting-fit-bruce-s-big-change)

comrade
01-02-2021, 10:28 PM
7kgs seems like a lot.

The Bulldogs Bite
01-02-2021, 10:36 PM
He looks in the best shape of his career.

His strength was his agility and combativeness/marking. He was often a bit too quick for a lot of key defenders and too strong and aggressive for others. I'm excited to see what he does, had a terrible 2020 but he's a good player and can make us a much better side.

Happy Days
01-02-2021, 10:53 PM
Yeah he definitely passes the getting off the bus test. He would need to improve a lot on last year to be terrible but positive signs early.

bornadog
01-02-2021, 11:32 PM
7kgs seems like a lot.

YES!!

Needed to we all noticed (well I did)

Twodogs
02-02-2021, 12:34 AM
Josh must have been reading WOOF.

dog town
02-02-2021, 06:34 AM

His strength was his agility and combativeness/marking. He was often a bit too quick for a lot of key defenders and too strong and aggressive for others. I'm excited to see what he does, had a terrible 2020 but he's a good player and can make us a much better side. Without knowing exact weights he was very lean when he played back initially. I went back and watched a few games and he was actually playing as more of a mobile flanker than a key defender. It looks like he is more that sort of weight now. Hopefully helps him to put more pressure on and hit up at the footy.

GVGjr
02-02-2021, 07:47 AM

His strength was his agility and combativeness/marking. He was often a bit too quick for a lot of key defenders and too strong and aggressive for others. I'm excited to see what he does, had a terrible 2020 but he's a good player and can make us a much better side.

I still don't get why we played him so often last him if he was overweight and especially given his form poor. He added bugger all too us last season and didn't earn his pay

comrade
02-02-2021, 08:52 AM

Fat shaming DOES work.

soupman
02-02-2021, 09:26 AM
Fat shaming DOES work.

Glad to see all our hard work is paying off.

comrade
02-02-2021, 09:32 AM
Glad to see all our hard work is paying off.

https://i.ibb.co/x6BhP8t/Fat-0d683c-5682370.jpg (https://imgbb.com/)

Axe Man
02-02-2021, 10:17 AM
https://i.ibb.co/x6BhP8t/Fat-0d683c-5682370.jpg (https://imgbb.com/)

That's not our Chef is it?

Mofra
02-02-2021, 10:26 AM
That's a massive weight drop - expecting a far better year from Juice this year

EasternWest
02-02-2021, 12:05 PM
Yeah he definitely passes the getting off the bus test. He would need to improve a lot on last year to be terrible but positive signs early.

But is he borderline flying? Because I don't go for the hype until I hear that.

jeemak
02-02-2021, 12:41 PM
We're just about due a Jake Stringer puff piece, aren't we?

All I could find via a quick google search of his name is that he's fathered another child and that Kane Cornes thought he was fat.

mjp
02-02-2021, 06:03 PM
Fat shaming DOES work.

It's funny though...it might work with regards getting him to lose weight but it doesn't fix football players.

A famous basketball player (the one with the beard) is still 20lbs overweight but looks a radically differently player since the change of teams. I am reserving my judgement on his changed attitude. Working hard when you are running around markers and it is 'obvious' to one and all when you aren't doing the job is very different to crossing the white line and actually competing against opposition players.

The goal he kicked in the final - which *SHOULD* have been a free-kick to Wallis - told me all I need to know. Team focussed players don't play on under pressure when there is a free-kick inside 50 - they give the ball to their team-mate to have the set shot. And they sure don't run around celebrating...

I am sure he will play and am looking forward to seeing a change in attitude.

SonofScray
03-02-2021, 09:56 AM
7kgs seems like a lot.

He had a lot to lose.

comrade
03-02-2021, 10:20 AM
He had a lot to lose.

Yep, carrying an extra 5-7kg as a pro athlete is pretty poor and validates what quite a few were saying in 2020.

SonofScray
03-02-2021, 12:10 PM
Yep, carrying an extra 5-7kg as a pro athlete is pretty poor and validates what quite a few were saying in 2020.

He'll cover the ground better and should find his agility really improved by the work he has put in. We might see that more nimble, leaping forward from the highlight reels.

I am a harsh critic of Bruce based on what he dished up last year, which, frankly, was unacceptable. A black mark on him as a professional and a question mark over those who kept picking him.

That being said, with a more stable environment and a clear understanding of what's required, he seems like a guy who can turn things around.

Twodogs
03-02-2021, 12:51 PM
We're just about due a Jake Stringer puff piece, aren't we?

All I could find via a quick google search of his name is that he's fathered another child and that Kane Cornes thought he was fat.

They were pumping Jake's tyres up on SEN this morning. I can't remember who it was but an ex player had played a round of golf with him and tweeted that he was in great shape and the rest of he comp should look out. It's probably true that everyone should look out because someone the size of Jake running into you could really do some damage.

dadsgirl16
03-02-2021, 02:13 PM
Daisy Thomas
I had a giggle too

Eastdog
03-02-2021, 02:43 PM
Need a big 2021 from Josh.

KT31
03-02-2021, 02:50 PM

For his sake, I hope not.;)

Rocket Science
03-02-2021, 04:17 PM
A less juicy Brucey can only bode well ... provided we iron out his appetite for flinging himself late into aerial contests erasing teammates in the process.

Axe Man
03-02-2021, 04:23 PM
Need a big 2021 from Josh.

I'm not sure big is the word we should be using when it comes to Josh. ;)

bulldogtragic
09-05-2021, 09:25 PM
Who had Bruce at Round 8:

25 Goals, 8 Behinds (really 26.7 arc...)

Averaging 13 disposals, 7 marks.

Note: The best return since Simon Beasley was 73.31 by Barry Hall in 2010 across 24 games. Bruce is tracking just ahead of Barry’s ‘Best Since Beaser’ record.

Twodogs
09-05-2021, 10:12 PM
Interestingly Bruce has had 33 scoring shots to Naughton's 34 but Bruce has kicked 25.8 to Naughton's 18.16.

I wonder when the last time was we had two players kick 43 goals between them after 8 rounds?

Twodogs
09-05-2021, 10:19 PM
Interestingly Bruce has had 33 scoring shots to Naughton's 34 but Bruce has kicked 25.8 to Naughton's 18.16.

I wonder when the last time was we had two players kick 43 goals between them after 8 rounds?

I just checked Beasley/Bamblett in 1985. They had 50 between them after 8 rounds even though Beasley missed one game (33/17)

bulldogtragic
09-05-2021, 10:23 PM

18 Grant
27 Del Re

Played in a Prelim.

SonofScray
09-05-2021, 10:32 PM
Today was his best game in our colours, even allowing for his big bag against Norf.

Reliable from start to finish, landed the damaging blows, took his turn in the middle a few times and generally just helped keep us afloat while it was going pear shaped. Impressed by what he did today. Very mature.

bornadog
20-09-2021, 10:30 PM
Ameet Bains @Ameet_Bains

True character manifests in many ways…rather than wallow in self-pity at being the only current @westernbulldogs player not in Perth, @joshuabruce has instead been helping our staff fulfil the mountain of online merchandise orders we’ve gratefully received Clapping hands sign #HumbleExcellence

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E_tirHaVIAElE12?format=jpg&name=large

westdog54
20-09-2021, 10:40 PM
Stupid sexy Josh Bruce

josie
20-09-2021, 10:55 PM
Bruce-eeeee. Such a great bloke. RWB through and through. Let’s hope he sings song with the boys via video call in celebration of a GF win this Saturday night.

merantau
23-09-2021, 05:27 PM
In some photos Josh bears a resemblance to that bearded bloke who played for the Red Sea Pedestrians way back when.

angelopetraglia
20-06-2023, 09:16 PM
He had a shocker. Interesting him talk about his mistakes early and how his confidence dropped and he didn?t really deal with it. But death threats. Really. That?s just disgusting. So disappointing.

https://twitter.com/g___812/status/1671081471552147457?s=46&t=oMlyiNHry1lhUs8p7uzZ_A

jeemak
20-06-2023, 09:24 PM
People take football way too seriously.

GVGjr
20-06-2023, 09:45 PM
People take football way too seriously.

Don't they just what. It's unreal that people can get away with it.

Grantysghost
20-06-2023, 09:48 PM
Don't they just what. It's unreal that people can get away with it.

bornadog
22-07-2023, 12:21 PM
Despite a couple of criticisms of Bruce's game last night, I actually thought he played ok. He had a presence in the backline and made some good spoils as well as taking a strong one on one mark against 2MP.

azabob
22-07-2023, 12:24 PM
Despite a couple of criticisms of Bruce's game last night, I actually thought he played ok. He had a presence in the backline and made some good spoils as well as taking a strong one on one mark against 2MP.

The problem is Bruce, Keath and Gardiner are too damn similar. Clumsy, slow of foot and mind.

Unfortunately we can only play two out of these three.

The Bulldogs Bite
22-07-2023, 12:25 PM

I love Brucey but he still had 3 kicked on him, plus one v Langford. He just isn't a defender.

I'd actually love to see him play alongside Naughton and Marra in the Lobb/Khamis role. His ruck work will be worse than Lobb / on par with Khamis, but I'm almost certain he would be a better forward. None of the 3 offer anything on the defensive end so it's not like we lose out there.

Wish we'd trial it, especially once Jones returns. We need to find a point of difference, maybe this is it.

bornadog
22-07-2023, 04:46 PM
I love Brucey but he still had 3 kicked on him, plus one v Langford. He just isn't a defender.

I'd actually love to see him play alongside Naughton and Marra in the Lobb/Khamis role. His ruck work will be worse than Lobb / on par with Khamis, but I'm almost certain he would be a better forward. None of the 3 offer anything on the defensive end so it's not like we lose out there.

Wish we'd trial it, especially once Jones returns. We need to find a point of difference, maybe this is it.

Agree Bruce is not the solution at FB, but we have struggled since Jones went down.

Not sure about the forward idea - if Lobb doesn't work out or gets injured, then he would be better than Buku.

Mofra
22-07-2023, 05:15 PM
Agree Bruce is not the solution at FB, but we have struggled since Jones went down.

Not sure about the forward idea - if Lobb doesn't work out or gets injured, then he would be better than Buku.
Bruce went from 'woeful' to 'passable' when we sent Gardner to the deepest defensive post and Bruce played a little higher.

I'm not sure Bruce survives the cull at the end of the year. He's behind Jones & Gardner as a KPD, and behind Lobb & Darcy as a forward/ruck. Plus we're adding Croft who will need VFL development minutes

bornadog
22-07-2023, 05:25 PM
Bruce went from 'woeful' to 'passable' when we sent Gardner to the deepest defensive post and Bruce played a little higher.

I'm not sure Bruce survives the cull at the end of the year. He's behind Jones & Gardner as a KPD, and behind Lobb & Darcy as a forward/ruck. Plus we're adding Croft who will need VFL development minutes

Buzz will also be looking for a go in the backline.

Bruce is transitioning to coaching, so may decide himself.

hujsh
22-07-2023, 05:28 PM
Buzz will also be looking for a go in the backline.

Bruce is transitioning to coaching, so may decide himself.

Bruce is someone I could live with giving up a rookie spot to keep as he transitions to coaching. Depth forward or back as we'll have a lot of talls developing that could benefit from his presence. If it's just for a year it shouldn't hurt

bornadog
22-07-2023, 05:31 PM
Bruce is someone I could live with giving up a rookie spot to keep as he transitions to coaching. Depth forward or back as we'll have a lot of talls developing that could benefit from his presence. If it's just for a year it shouldn't hurt

Good idea, as long as he is happy with that

Go_Dogs
22-07-2023, 07:04 PM

Don’t mind it.

bulldogtragic
29-07-2023, 06:14 PM
It’s over. Thanks for your efforts since requesting a trade to come play for us. Nearly no one if any reputation does that, so thanks. What might have been in 2021 Bruce’s but for that knee.

Go well.

kruder
29-07-2023, 06:47 PM
Yeah got to feel for Bruce a sad day all round.

jeemak
29-07-2023, 07:49 PM
I'm actually wondering how much this got into the players' heads in the second half.

Not making an excuse for them, but we've seen something similar impact the players before.

Really sad for Bruce, but he's had a career to be proud of. Good luck and all the best in his recovery to him.

GVGjr
29-07-2023, 08:05 PM
I'm actually wondering how much this got into the players' heads in the second half.

Not making an excuse for them, but we've seen something similar impact the players before.

Really sad for Bruce, but he's had a career to be proud of. Good luck and all the best in his recovery to him.

You know I was right near the players race and the moment Rohan Smith did his talk with the defenders he raced into the room to speak to Brucey.
FWIW, I don't think it was an issue for the players.

bornadog
29-07-2023, 09:06 PM
Do we know the extend of his injury?

SonofScray
29-07-2023, 10:12 PM
Looks like his career is done.

An absolute arsehole effort from the GWS player, who deserved to be remonstrated with. No one went near him.

EasternWest
29-07-2023, 10:25 PM

An absolute arsehole effort from the GWS player, who deserved to be remonstrated with. No one went near him.

Nothing more than a free kick. You've said this a number of times now but incidents like that happen all the time in game.

You're layering your emotional reaction over the incident itself.

bornadog
29-07-2023, 10:25 PM

You need to re look, nothing in it

Boots
29-07-2023, 10:32 PM
You need to re look, nothing in it

yeah but fair play, I?ve never forgiven James Sicily just for being in frame on the TV coverage when bob murphy did his ACL in 2016.

angelopetraglia
29-07-2023, 10:44 PM
Gutted for Bruce.

You do you knee when you are probably in the form of your life in a team that is flying. You miss the Grand Final. You work you backside off. While you are away injured a number of forwards go past you. You re-invent yourself again into a defender. You work hard. You are in the team at the start of the year. You get injured. You have to rehabilitate again. You work your way back into the team. You have a nightmare game. You get dropped. You get back in the team again, your string a couple of games together. Confidence grows a little.

You do your knee again. The game isn't fair. It has never been fair. It is so bloody tough on those who put their bodies on the line every week. Here I am upset we lost a game of footy we should have won. A little perspective.

Go well Josh Bruce. Heart went out to you today.

The bulldog tragician
29-07-2023, 10:46 PM
Gutted for Bruce.

You do you knee when you are probably in the form of your life in a team that is flying. You miss the Grand Final. You work you backside off. While you are away injured a number of forwards go past you. You re-invent yourself again into a defender. You work hard. You are in the team at the start of the year. You get injured. You work your way back into the team. You have a nightmare. You get dropped. You get back again, your string a couple of games together. Confidence grows a little.

You do your knee again. The game isn't fair. It is so bloody tough on those who put their bodies on the line every week. Here I am upset we lost a game of footy we should have won. A little perspective.

Go well Josh Bruce.
Perfectly said.
Each of our guys risk this sort of heartache every time they go out there.
Our disappointment is nothing compared to how Bruce and his family are feeling tonight. Footy can be just heartbreaking and injuries like his are very poignant given all he’s been through.

EasternWest
29-07-2023, 10:55 PM
yeah but fair play, I?ve never forgiven James Sicily just for being in frame on the TV coverage when bob murphy did his ACL in 2016.

Ha ha ha

SonofScray
29-07-2023, 11:27 PM
Nothing more than a free kick. You've said this a number of times now but incidents like that happen all the time in game.

You're layering your emotional reaction over the incident itself.

I’m not layering anything. Just calling it as I saw it at the game.

I would have liked to see someone get in the bloke’s face.

EasternWest
29-07-2023, 11:51 PM
I’m not layering anything. Just calling it as I saw it at the game.

I would have liked to see someone get in the bloke’s face.

Ok fair enough but in the cold light of day I think you'll see you're overreacting.

The Bulldogs Bite
29-07-2023, 11:59 PM
Sad end. He's a great guy and he wasn't a bad player at his peak.

Had a weird time of it with us. Looked good early days, COVID hit and he was in poor physical shape / didn't handle it well by his own admission. Came back the following year and was a key cog in a side mainly on top for most of the year / kicks 50, does his knee late, and misses a GF.

In the end he only really had the one good season with us. The first was poor, the third was a write off, the fourth he had to reinvent himself as a defender. Despite all that he's been well liked by all.

Wish we got more of him in his prime but alas, footy ain't fair.

Vred
30-07-2023, 04:04 PM
ACL, opposite knee to last time.

He'll be retiring, as I've just been told.

D Mitchell
30-07-2023, 04:34 PM
ACL, opposite knee to last time.

He'll be retiring, as I've just been told.

Bolded bit. By whom ? Respecting privacy and that of your sources, rank on a continuum from Sam Power, 10, to a bloke down the pub, 1.

Vred
30-07-2023, 04:39 PM
Bolded bit. By whom ? Respecting privacy and that of your sources, rank on a continuum from Sam Power, 10, to a bloke down the pub, 1.

By someone who’s source is one of our senior assistant coaches.

bornadog
30-07-2023, 04:45 PM
By someone who’s source is one of our senior assistant coaches.

Also reported as that is what the club thinks. Scans will confirm unless they have alreaday been done

D Mitchell
30-07-2023, 04:48 PM
By someone who?s source is one of our senior assistant coaches.

Thanks, I'd put that at a 6.

josie
30-07-2023, 07:15 PM
Dreadful - I also hope Bruce can continue to add value by mentoring women’s and men’s for a while. If he has the knowledge and communication skills to be a forward coach that could be useful to us.

mjp
30-07-2023, 08:47 PM
It's brutal sometimes.

This just isn't fair...opposite knee? My goodness...how unlucky do you have to be.

Glad he did it playing AFL footy...depending on the structure of his contract this can have a bit impact on his entitlements.

Dry Rot
31-07-2023, 01:02 AM
Really sorry to hear about Bruce's diagnosis.

We all live in a random world, which is neither just nor fair.

bornadog
22-08-2023, 04:21 PM
Josh has retired

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F4HFO7hbMAA1FCi?format=webp&name=900x900

bornadog
22-08-2023, 04:27 PM
Western Bulldogs defender Josh Bruce has called time on his AFL career. (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1413151/josh-bruce-announces-afl-retirement)

The 31-year-old played 163 matches across 13 years in the AFL, representing the red, white and blue on 50 occasions.

Before arriving at the Kennel, Bruce was an inaugural player at the GWS Giants and a powerful forward at St Kilda.

The former Canberra product was drafted as an ACT zone selection to play with the GWS TAC Cup side in 2010, before competing in the NEAFL in his early seasons.

Bruce’s breakout year came in 2015, a season after being traded to St Kilda, where he kicked 50 goals and finished eighth in the Coleman Medal race, collecting the Club’s leading goalkicker award.

After being traded to the Bulldogs in 2020, Bruce again stamped his authority on the competition with 48 goals in 20 outings during the 2021 campaign.

Bruce finished his career with 234 goals in 163 matches, across three different clubs.

“I moved out of home at 17 to Sydney as a skinny, hyperactive little kid and I’m finishing here as a not-so-skinny, still hyperactive grown man, with two beautiful kids,” Bruce said.

“I can rest my head on the pillow knowing that every gruelling pre-season session, every rehab session and every game at three clubs, I gave my absolute everything.

“I hope I finish with the respect of my peers and coaches for being a resilient, effort-based, hard-working team-mate who never gave up for the team.

“The move to the Bulldogs has been one of the most defining moments of my life. I’ve got so many connections through Rohan Smith coaching me at U16’s level, living with Stewart Edge in my first year at GWS and time spent with Ameet Bains at St Kilda.

“It’s fitting to finish up here and I look forward to exploring some coaching opportunities into the future.”

Senior coach Luke Beveridge lauded the impact Bruce has made across the Club, both on and off the field.

“Josh is an outstanding team man and we’ve been fortunate to have him represent the Bulldogs for the past four seasons,” Beveridge said.

“Despite facing his fair share of adversity, Josh entered the building every day with the same sense of energy and enthusiasm which lifted the playing group and staff around him.

“Josh is a much-loved figure. He should be proud of his time with us, and of everything he achieved in his career which spanned 13 years.

“We wish Josh, Pip, Poppy and Augie all the best for the future, and they know they’re always welcome at the Bulldogs.”

Josh Bruce Career Snapshot
Drafted: 2011 Zone Selection (GWS Giants)
AFL Debut: Round 5, 2012
Games: 163
Goals: 234

Honours:
GWS Giants inaugural squad member (2011)
St Kilda leading goalkicker (2015)
Mark of the Year finalist (2015)
Western Bulldogs leading goalkicker (2021)
Sixth Bulldog in V/AFL history to kick 10 or more goals in a single match (2021)
35 Photos

bulldogtragic
22-08-2023, 04:35 PM
Thanks Josh. What could’ve been in 2021!

bornadog
22-08-2023, 04:39 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iM-ZcRAixtA

Grantysghost
22-08-2023, 05:04 PM
Western Bulldogs defender Josh Bruce has called time on his AFL career. (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1413151/josh-bruce-announces-afl-retirement)

The 31-year-old played 163 matches across 13 years in the AFL, representing the red, white and blue on 50 occasions.

Before arriving at the Kennel, Bruce was an inaugural player at the GWS Giants and a powerful forward at St Kilda.

The former Canberra product was drafted as an ACT zone selection to play with the GWS TAC Cup side in 2010, before competing in the NEAFL in his early seasons.

Bruce’s breakout year came in 2015, a season after being traded to St Kilda, where he kicked 50 goals and finished eighth in the Coleman Medal race, collecting the Club’s leading goalkicker award.

After being traded to the Bulldogs in 2020, Bruce again stamped his authority on the competition with 48 goals in 20 outings during the 2021 campaign.

Bruce finished his career with 234 goals in 163 matches, across three different clubs.

“I moved out of home at 17 to Sydney as a skinny, hyperactive little kid and I’m finishing here as a not-so-skinny, still hyperactive grown man, with two beautiful kids,” Bruce said.

“I can rest my head on the pillow knowing that every gruelling pre-season session, every rehab session and every game at three clubs, I gave my absolute everything.

“I hope I finish with the respect of my peers and coaches for being a resilient, effort-based, hard-working team-mate who never gave up for the team.

“The move to the Bulldogs has been one of the most defining moments of my life. I’ve got so many connections through Rohan Smith coaching me at U16’s level, living with Stewart Edge in my first year at GWS and time spent with Ameet Bains at St Kilda.

“It’s fitting to finish up here and I look forward to exploring some coaching opportunities into the future.”

Senior coach Luke Beveridge lauded the impact Bruce has made across the Club, both on and off the field.

“Josh is an outstanding team man and we’ve been fortunate to have him represent the Bulldogs for the past four seasons,” Beveridge said.

“Despite facing his fair share of adversity, Josh entered the building every day with the same sense of energy and enthusiasm which lifted the playing group and staff around him.

“Josh is a much-loved figure. He should be proud of his time with us, and of everything he achieved in his career which spanned 13 years.

“We wish Josh, Pip, Poppy and Augie all the best for the future, and they know they’re always welcome at the Bulldogs.”

Josh Bruce Career Snapshot
Drafted: 2011 Zone Selection (GWS Giants)
AFL Debut: Round 5, 2012
Games: 163
Goals: 234

Honours:
GWS Giants inaugural squad member (2011)
St Kilda leading goalkicker (2015)
Mark of the Year finalist (2015)
Western Bulldogs leading goalkicker (2021)
Sixth Bulldog in V/AFL history to kick 10 or more goals in a single match (2021)
35 Photos

How does this compare with other players? I would've thought 35 is on the low side.

Poor Josh never played in a winning final. In fact he only ever played in one I believe and that was the shit show that was the 2020 elimination final v the Saints. Shame. All the best to Josh he was a very popular character at the club.

EasternWest
22-08-2023, 05:12 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iM-ZcRAixtA

Cue Happy Days.

bornadog
22-08-2023, 05:37 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyRwSBZvQpE

Grantysghost
22-08-2023, 05:43 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyRwSBZvQpE

I've got something in my eye.

angelopetraglia
22-08-2023, 05:55 PM
Thanks for everything Juice. 2021. What could have been! Such a sad way to finish with two knees in three years.

ReLoad
22-08-2023, 05:57 PM
I've got something in my eye.
I’m not crying you’re crying!

Hotdog60
22-08-2023, 06:19 PM
I wonder if he'll keep going with the Women's team.

azabob
22-08-2023, 06:26 PM
How good is Josh Bruce? What a teammate and clubmen he is?

azabob
22-08-2023, 06:27 PM

I hope so, he seems to really enjoy the coaching aspect.

Axe Man
22-08-2023, 06:30 PM

If Hannah Mouncey couldn't get clearance I can't see Josh getting the green light. ;)

bornadog
22-08-2023, 06:35 PM
If Hannah Mouncey couldn't get clearance I can't see Josh getting the green light. ;)

I spat my afternoon tea out reading this - very funny :D

The Bulldogs Bite
22-08-2023, 06:39 PM
Well done to Juice and good luck in retirement.

Unlucky with us, but forever a popular character.

Eastdog
22-08-2023, 09:33 PM
Good on you Brucey! Been a good player. I enjoyed the 2021 season before the injury. That 10 goal game against North on Good Friday at Marvel a highlight. All the best.

G-Mo77
22-08-2023, 09:37 PM
Not surprised but a shame to end it that way.

MrMahatma
22-08-2023, 10:25 PM
Thanks for always giving your all for us!

Even off the field. Pitching in during 2021 finals to post out fan shirts etc. A real club man.

macca
22-08-2023, 10:31 PM
Thanks Bruce for all the memories and moments. 2021 was a big year for him, and I was hoping he would fit into the fwd line long term.

Thanks for putting your body on the line and putting in big efforts for the club, especially the 10 goals against North.

D Mitchell
22-08-2023, 10:52 PM
Bruce comes to the Club for the 2020 season, the closest thing we've had, forever, to a monster forward, our Lynch, Hawkins. 2021, Bruce averages 3 goals a game, controls the deep forward area, opens it up for Wallis and Naughton and we make the GF. He was the most productive big man forward since Simon Beasley, albeit half as good. Does his knee at the end of 2021. The masterminds at the Club replace him with, initially, a duo of youthful spring heeled high-fliers who want mark of the year award and who average 2 goals between them for 2022 but widely and excitedly proclaimed by posters as the dawn of a forward line the envy of the rest of the competition. Said masterminds then add a 3rd tall in 2023 and consign Bruce to intermittent stints as a Defender. Meanwhile the 2023 trio of talls let us down game after game. But for that 2021 knee, who knows. In an alterative universe, Bruce doesn't do his knee, kicks his 3 early in the GF so even Petracca and Oliver can't breach the 38 points lead in Q3. 2022, Bruce and Naughton the forward talls, Wallis stays injury free and another flag. 2023. Instead of the debilitating, sack-the-coach scandal, the big media question is, can the 'Dogs threepeat ? I feel a bit better now.

josie
23-08-2023, 02:15 AM
Just watched his farewell speech on doggies website. If that doesn’t bring a tear to your eye you’re not RWB and probably not human either.

Go well young man. Hope you forge a successful career in whatever you do. Guessing you might make an excellent development coach.

He really is still so young. There is no justice in footy. Hope it spurs our players on to do the best they can this weekend and beyond.

Look like he formed a really special bond with Marra and likely Naughts.

Bruce-e-e—e.

SonofScray
23-08-2023, 08:15 AM
He leaves with a great deal of respect from the fans and his peers.

A good effort, given how incredibly poor his start at the Club was. In fact, it’d be the biggest turn around I can recall. From unfit, bumbling villain to fan favourite clubman.

Gave us one of the great days when he kicked the bag against North. That’s a special memory.

Boots
23-08-2023, 09:22 AM
This image says everything I want to say and more than I could:

Axe Man
23-08-2023, 10:19 AM
I spat my afternoon tea out reading this - very funny :D

Afternoon tea? At your age by 5:35pm I would have expected you would have already had dinner and supper time would be fast approaching.

bornadog
23-08-2023, 10:27 AM
Afternoon tea? At your age by 5:35pm I would have expected you would have already had dinner and supper time would be fast approaching.

haha, let's not go too far Axeman

Eastdog
23-08-2023, 12:08 PM
Just watched his farewell speech on doggies website. If that doesn?t bring a tear to your eye you?re not RWB and probably not human either.

Go well young man. Hope you forge a successful career in whatever you do. Guessing you might make an excellent development coach.

He really is still so young. There is no justice in footy. Hope it spurs our players on to do the best they can this weekend and beyond.

Look like he formed a really special bond with Marra and likely Naughts.

Bruce-e-e?e.

Very emotional speech. At the Mona Castle as well a favorite pub of mine in the inner west.

bornadog
23-08-2023, 12:17 PM
Very emotional speech. At the Mona Castle as well a favorite pub of mine in the inner west.

Libba's Pub

Eastdog
23-08-2023, 12:43 PM
Libba's Pub

That's right along with the Ascot Vale Hotel.

bornadog
23-08-2023, 02:21 PM
Some highlights of his career

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqHkaJ8SxUU&t=2s

macca
23-08-2023, 06:42 PM
Some highlights of his career

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqHkaJ8SxUU&t=2s

That mark against 3 GWS players was the highlight for me. Some great contested marks there. He was so important to us in 2021. Big thank you Brucee for giving your all and so many great memories

Funke disco
23-08-2023, 09:41 PM
The day prior to the GWS game in Ballarat, I was at a local cafe in the inner-west that the team frequent. About 6-10 players sat down on the adjacent table with Bruce having his back to mine. I suppressed my inner fanboy desire to talk to them and left them to enjoy their breakfast. My 11 month old was on his high chair and dropped a teething toy on the floor. Bruce picked it up, engaged with him and then started a conversation with me about the challenges of parenting 2 x kids (ours are a similar age gap apart). I know we like to say xyz are good blokes but he IS a good bloke. He genuinely seemed interested in what I had to say a freely spoke of some his challenges as a parent.

I felt immediate regret for all the times I cursed him (at home, never at the ground like the weekend just past) in 2020 and this year when playing in defense. I watched the next day and felt worse when he did his knee knowing the implications of such an injury, his age and previous injuries.

I think that moving forward, I will refrain from getting angry and personal at players when they play poorly or make poor decisions for our beloved club. They are human beings that have families, partners, parents and kids that are trying their hardest to make a living in their chosen profession. I mean, not sure what everyone else does here for a living but I would want support and the same understanding and patience in my endeavors.

Thank you Josh. What could have been in 2021 had you avoided the season altering injury in junktime working your hardest for the team. But also thank you for unintentionally highlighting elements of myself I can improve.

angelopetraglia
23-08-2023, 09:42 PM
My highlight was when he kicked his 10th goal against NMFC and in the background Libba is fighting half of the NMFC team :)

bornadog
23-08-2023, 09:45 PM
The day prior to the GWS game in Ballarat, I was at a local cafe in the inner-west that the team frequent. About 6-10 players sat down on the adjacent table with Bruce having his back to mine. I suppressed my inner fanboy desire to talk to them and left them to enjoy their breakfast. My 11 month old was on his high chair and dropped a teething toy on the floor. Bruce picked it up, engaged with him and then started a conversation with me about the challenges of parenting 2 x kids (ours are a similar age gap apart). I know we like to say xyz are good blokes but he IS a good bloke. He genuinely seemed interested in what I had to say a freely spoke of some his challenges as a parent.

I felt immediate regret for all the times I cursed him (at home, never at the ground like the weekend just past) in 2020 and this year when playing in defense. I watched the next day and felt worse when he did his knee knowing the implications of such an injury, his age and previous injuries.

I think that moving forward, I will refrain from getting angry and personal at players when they play poorly or make poor decisions for our beloved club. They are human beings that have families, partners, parents and kids that are trying their hardest to make a living in their chosen profession. I mean, not sure what everyone else does here for a living but I would want support and the same understanding and patience in my endeavors.

Thank you Josh. What could have been in 2021 had you avoided the season altering injury in junktime working your hardest for the team. But also thank you for unintentionally highlighting elements of myself I can improve.

Well said FD.

macca
23-08-2023, 09:50 PM

thanks @FD, just reading that I feel Brucee has made me wanting to be a better human being. I will too try refrain from being too critical of players. It looks easy on TV but I guess in the heat of the moment, these are split seconds and anything can go wrong:
- wrong body or hand position
- wrong centre of gravity that has thrown them off balance.
- they got a dirty push from behind and umpire once again not see it.

You can see Bruccee really tried his guts off for the club and accepted whatever challenge threw his way.