PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the Western Bulldogs: Cody Weightman

Pages : 1 [2]

Axe Man
08-07-2021, 09:25 AM
I love the way a first round draft pick has bided his time, accepted that 2020 was a write off with little VFL, worked on his game in 2021 in the VFL and improved areas like pressure, cracked the AFL team and is now blossoming.

Could be a good example for another first round draft pick currently playing VFL.

Josh Schache? :p

Bulldog4life
08-07-2021, 10:06 AM
Young Cody has so much energy which is great for the team. Jumping around on the spot even before the ball has been bounced. Adds a lot to our forward line. Accurate kick too. Could have easily kicked 5.

AshMac
09-07-2021, 06:50 AM
He's way ahead of where I thought he'd be. Has real energy about him

That’s the bit about him I love the most - he bounces back to his feet when he hits the deck, let’s the opposition know about it when he has done something and just always gut runs. He is the type of bloke that lifts the team off the ball.

Obviously his forward craft, X factor and work overhead are great too.

jeemak
17-07-2021, 09:35 PM
I thought Cody did really well to force his way back into the game and make an impact on it. Reckon he only had one touch a bit before half time, but two second half goals really helped get us over the line.

He's a ripper, so glad we picked him up.

bulldogtragic
17-07-2021, 09:41 PM
I thought Cody did really well to force his way back into the game and make an impact on it. Reckon he only had one touch a bit before half time, but two second half goals really helped get us over the line.

He's a ripper, so glad we picked him up.

I love having a player who gets a set shot and I can relax. His repeat sprints per game must be off the charts too. He and Jamarra are the perfect pair. Small who can play tall too and is super quick. Jamarra a tall who is going beneath his knees who is super quick. Amazing pairing. Then there’s the others rounding out, Naughton and Bruce…

jeemak
17-07-2021, 10:13 PM
I love having a player who gets a set shot and I can relax. His repeat sprints per game must be off the charts too. He and Jamarra are the perfect pair. Small who can play tall too and is super quick. Jamarra a tall who is going beneath his knees who is super quick. Amazing pairing. Then there’s the others rounding out, Naughton and Bruce…

I reckon Cody's only going to get better in front of goal as he gets fitter, and JUH has started off pretty well and seems to have a solid technique.

It's nice to think we're building an actual forward line with actual forwards. Haven't really seen anything like it since 1992 - 1997 era.

bulldogtragic
17-07-2021, 10:14 PM
I reckon Cody's only going to get better in front of goal as he gets fitter, and JUH has started off pretty well and seems to have a solid technique.

It's nice to think we're building an actual forward line with actual forwards. Haven't really seen anything like it since 1992 - 1997 era.

Crazy times we live in. Next a ruckman?

jeemak
17-07-2021, 10:16 PM
Crazy times we live in. Next a ruckman?

Maybe even a genuine KPD to support Keath!

bulldogtragic
17-07-2021, 10:19 PM
Maybe even a genuine KPD to support Keath!

I’m not sure I cope in such a radical footy world like that. I mean I could happily celebrating another flag.

KT31
18-07-2021, 12:28 PM
Rate Cody and the enthusiasm he brings to our side.We’ve been lacking a smile like his since Johnno retired.:D
He does need to work out when to contest and when to pull out of a marking contest, going to get hurt if he gets in Astro’s way.

AshMac
18-07-2021, 01:54 PM
It’s nice to have a player who clearly loves a big moment. Never looks phased and always has a kick for goal as his no. 1 priority

bornadog
25-07-2021, 02:16 PM
The enthusiasm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HjWO3yDx88&ab_channel=Michael

bulldogtragic
25-07-2021, 03:31 PM
That speccy.
The goal over his head vs Port.
17 goals in 10 games in the top side.
Top 10 among Rising Stars for a heap of key stats.
Huge smile, likeable young man.
Talked up by a lot of commentators.

I’m thinking he’s a decent shot at actually winning the Rising Star.

jeemak
25-07-2021, 05:26 PM
He's currently paying $18 with Sportsbet, with seven candidates ahead of him.

bulldogtragic
25-07-2021, 05:29 PM
He's currently paying $18 with Sportsbet, with seven candidates ahead of him.

Time to get on. He’s a free marketing dream for the AFEL. Always back self interest as PK says.

Sedat
25-07-2021, 06:16 PM
I’m thinking he’s a decent shot at actually winning the Rising Star.
Nik Cox has already won the Rising Star. Not sure if you're aware, but he has remarkable athleticism for someone who is 200cms.

Twodogs
25-07-2021, 06:44 PM
Nik Cox has already won the Rising Star. Not sure if you're aware, but he has remarkable athleticism for someone who is 200cms.

Athleticism? Really?

Next you'll be telling me that Scott Pendlebury played basketball.

bulldogtragic
25-07-2021, 08:51 PM
State News just now:

2. There's a sleeper in the NAB AFL Rising Star race

It is the most even battle for the Rising Star in recent years, with Greater Western Sydney's Tom Green, Melbourne pair Luke Jackson and James Jordon and Port Adelaide's Mitch Georgiades all considered the favourites. But Cody Weightman’s important 10-week stretch for the Western Bulldogs should also put him firmly in the mix for votes on the coveted award. Saturday night’s massive hanger over Max Gawn is one of the marks of the season, but aside from that Weightman has added genuine energy and buzz to the Bulldogs' mix and booted 17 goals from 10 games. Lively, tenacious and efficient in front of goal, Weightman should be catching the eye of judges. - Callum Twomey

jeemak
25-07-2021, 09:18 PM
You just know they'll nominate Heeney for MOTW.

Happy Days
25-07-2021, 09:23 PM
Gulden from Swans should be winning the Rising Star so I feel like we’re a fair way back on the list of aggrieved parties when Cox wins anyway.

1eyedog
25-07-2021, 10:18 PM
The enthusiasm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HjWO3yDx88&ab_channel=Michael

Juice is stoked he's finally gonna win a flag.

Dry Rot
25-07-2021, 11:43 PM

It was a cracking mark from Heeney in every way.

The Adelaide Connection
26-07-2021, 01:09 AM

The AFL "10" countdown had the Heeney mark at #2 and the Weightman mark at #1. Isn't the Mark of the week awarded via public votes (from the three nominations)?

Bulldog4life
26-07-2021, 10:40 AM
I think the reason why Cody's mark was so sensational was the small "rover size" man marking over the biggest lug of the other team. He didn't drop the ball either but carried it all the way to the ground. The perfect high mark.

bornadog
26-07-2021, 11:53 AM
I think the reason why Cody's mark was so sensational was the small "rover size" man marking over the biggest lug of the other team. He didn't drop the ball either but carried it all the way to the ground. The perfect high mark.

177cm over 208cm

https://resources.afl.com.au/photo-resources/2021/07/25/c90953f2-8d9c-4bda-aa45-8ee575cdcdec/Cody-Weightman-R19-Mark?width=952&height=592

SquirrelGrip
26-07-2021, 11:56 AM
177cm over 208cm

https://resources.afl.com.au/photo-resources/2021/07/25/c90953f2-8d9c-4bda-aa45-8ee575cdcdec/Cody-Weightman-R19-Mark?width=952&height=592

That photo looks like a dangerous tackle. How many weeks for Gawn?

bornadog
26-07-2021, 11:57 AM
There's a sleeper in the NAB AFL Rising Star race

It is the most even battle for the Rising Star in recent years, with Greater Western Sydney's Tom Green, Melbourne pair Luke Jackson and James Jordon and Port Adelaide's Mitch Georgiades all considered the favourites. But Cody Weightman’s important 10-week stretch for the Western Bulldogs should also put him firmly in the mix for votes on the coveted award. Saturday night’s massive hanger over Max Gawn is one of the marks of the season, but aside from that Weightman has added genuine energy and buzz to the Bulldogs' mix and booted 17 goals from 10 games. Lively, tenacious and efficient in front of goal, Weightman should be catching the eye of judges. - Callum Twomey

ratsmac
26-07-2021, 01:50 PM
177cm over 208cm

Wouldn't it had been great if Gawn caught Cody in his arms just for a laugh

EasternWest
26-07-2021, 02:16 PM
Wouldn't it had been great if Gawn caught Cody in his arms just for a laugh

With "my heart will go on" wafting eerily in the background.

I think lockdown is getting to me.

bornadog
26-07-2021, 02:22 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAA2lTAaf6A&ab_channel=ALsHighlights

azabob
26-07-2021, 02:58 PM
3AW was the pick of the bunch for mine.

Murphy'sLore
26-07-2021, 03:05 PM
Cody is our Danny Rojas. Pure joy.

Bulldog4life
26-07-2021, 04:01 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAA2lTAaf6A&ab_channel=ALsHighlights

He was higher than Joe Cocker...and that is saying something.

Axe Man
26-07-2021, 04:20 PM
Gulden from Swans should be winning the Rising Star so I feel like we’re a fair way back on the list of aggrieved parties when Cox wins anyway.

Tom Green is an almost unbackable favourite. Gulden is equal with Flea on the 7th line of betting.

bornadog
26-07-2021, 05:14 PM
Swamp @sirswampthing

List of players to receive nominations for Rising Star, Goal of the Year and Mark of the Year in 2021

CODY WEIGHTMAN

Testekill
26-07-2021, 06:39 PM
Heeney's mark was great but I think that the fact that it's a tiny dude pretty much clearing the shoulders of a ruckman puts Cody over the top. Heeney is pretty much the same height as Luke Ryan, the height that Cody got to clear Gawn's shoulders is the real big deal.

Happy Days
26-07-2021, 07:08 PM
Tom Green is an almost unbackable favourite. Gulden is equal with Flea on the 7th line of betting.

I know, someone needs to tell David King.

Green’s been dropped twice on form whereas Gulden is maybe a top 10 kick in the competition already. This award is stupid and the rightful winner is usually pretty irrelevant.

Dancin' Douggy
27-07-2021, 11:40 AM
Just thinking back to when Jack Martin was on the market and we wanted to offer the Weightman pick for him. At the time I was gutted that Martin chose Carlton, but he's really had a pretty average season and seems to have sunk into the Carlton Quagmire. So glad we ended up keeping the pick and adding Cody to the squad. What a gem.

Axe Man
27-07-2021, 11:49 AM
Just thinking back to when Jack Martin was on the market and we wanted to offer the Weightman pick for him. At the time I was gutted that Martin chose Carlton, but he's really had a pretty average season and seems to have sunk into the Carlton Quagmire. So glad we ended up keeping the pick and adding Cody to the squad. What a gem.

In hindsight I am glad we ended up with Cody too however Martin may be a completely different player with us than he is in that rabble. He made a poor choice football wise, but he's probably not too sad when he checks his bank statement.

Testekill
27-07-2021, 12:20 PM
Yeah I think that we didn't offer what Martin thought that he's worth but what he's actually worth, he's probably happy to be paid way above market value at the Blues while not having to really work for his position.

hujsh
27-07-2021, 02:27 PM
In hindsight I am glad we ended up with Cody too however Martin may be a completely different player with us than he is in that rabble. He made a poor choice football wise, but he's probably not too sad when he checks his bank statement.

He might be given how heavily he was front loaded and the pay cut players took from their 2020 salary

Mofra
27-07-2021, 02:34 PM
We picked up Bruce and Keath in that trade period and somehow managed to keep the first rounder we used to select Cody.

We were building a shrine to Sam Power even before the Adam Treloar trade was a thing.

Dancin' Douggy
27-07-2021, 02:40 PM
Pretty fancy footwork from Sam Power there
We picked up Bruce and Keath in that trade period and somehow managed to keep the first rounder we used to select Cody.

We were building a shrine to Sam Power even before the Adam Treloar trade was a thing.

bulldogtragic
27-07-2021, 05:52 PM

Plus he made a live trade at the draft to get Pick 62, which he used on Garcia.

Insane result where Cody, Garcia, Bruce & Keath are doing well in a team on the top of the ladder.

Twodogs
27-07-2021, 08:11 PM

A stand right next to EJ in the car park. Sam has earned that at least.

AshMac
28-07-2021, 01:55 PM
Voting for the MOTY ends tomorrow at 10am. Anyone who wants to vote for Cody can do so here:

https://www.afl.com.au/mark-of-the-year

Axe Man
30-07-2021, 09:31 AM
Who tops Mick McGuane’s list of the league’s 10 most watchable AFL players right now? (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/news/who-tops-mick-mcguanes-list-of-the-leagues-10-most-watchable-afl-players-right-now/news-story/6a88ba626eaed0cf5c1d1167602f176b)

10. Cody Weightman (Western Bulldogs)

Good coaches let players play to their strengths, and that’s what Luke Beveridge does with Weightman.

Bevo just lets him play, and it is working for the Bulldogs.

The 20-year-old has only played 13 games — 10 this year — but he has quickly established himself as a cog in the Bulldogs’ machine.

He is a footballer in the true sense of the word. He plays on instinct.

He has kicked 17.9 this season, he is a good ball handler and crumber, he has an uncanny goal sense, but he can also take a big mark overhead. Just ask Max Gawn about that!

The other attribute about Cody is the fact he is always in the contest and stays in the game when others don’t. He is a great rundown tackler, because his mind is always ahead of the game as he runs down poor awareness defenders.

He does not need a lot of the ball to make an impact. He can have 10 disposals and kick a few goals and really impact the game.

I love watching him play … if you follow him, you know something is going to happen.

Doc26
30-08-2021, 10:31 PM
Kudos to a clever tweeter for this one.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wt4fcf4thnzjicu/weightmana.jpg?raw=1

Prince Imperial
30-08-2021, 11:35 PM
One fun fact to add to yesterday's smashing of the Bombers was that they originally had the pick (No.14) in the 2019 draft which was just before the pick with which we took Weightman.

Instead they had traded it the year before to get the underwhelming and overpaid Shiels.

Oh Dodo!

bornadog
31-08-2021, 09:09 AM
One fun fact to add to yesterday's smashing of the Bombers was that they originally had the pick (No.14) in the 2019 draft which was just before the pick with which we took Weightman.

Instead they had traded it the year before to get the underwhelming and overpaid Shiels.

Oh Dodo!

The Ss they traded for - Devon Smith (average footballer), Shiel (underwhelming), Saad (ok but can't defend), Stringer (talented but lazy footballer)

Twodogs
31-08-2021, 11:02 AM
The Ss they traded for - Devon Smith (average footballer), Shiel (underwhelming), Saad (ok but can't defend), Stringer (talented but lazy footballer)

While we got in the Ws. Weightman and Josh W.* Schache

*Not entirely sure that Josh's middle name starts with a W but it could. After all George W. Bush's does.

MrMahatma
31-08-2021, 11:05 AM
While we got in the Ws. Weightman and Josh W.* Schache

*Not entirely sure that Josh's middle name starts with a W but it could. After all George W. Bush's does.

Got the W on the weekend too.

Twodogs
31-08-2021, 11:16 AM
Got the W on the weekend too.

W for winner. Right beside his name.

bulldogsthru&thru
03-09-2021, 01:48 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/GtzbtNyR/917-C1-C16-E1-A0-4-B86-93-E3-2145-CFDFC219.jpg (https://postimg.cc/GTBWSXKg)

Cody is a god wearing that hat.

bulldogtragic
03-09-2021, 01:50 PM
Lordy, that’s a throwback cap!!! I want to know how he got it. He was already 10/10 to me, but he’s now 11.

Mofra
03-09-2021, 01:52 PM
Don't forget the other S (for 34 of them) - Suspension

bulldogsthru&thru
03-09-2021, 01:54 PM
Lordy, that’s a throwback cap!!! I want to know how he got it. He was already 10/10 to me, but he’s now 11.

Tis no man alive who has worn that hat well. But Cody has done it. 11/10 for sure.

Grantysghost
03-09-2021, 02:43 PM

I've got a cupboard full on ancient caps like that, maybe I should donate them to the players to get their retro on.

GVGjr
03-09-2021, 10:56 PM

I should give him a WOOF cap to wear :)

jeemak
03-09-2021, 10:59 PM

He might log on and be sad about how many people wanted to write him off after last year, so don't risk it! We need him happy!

GVGjr
03-09-2021, 11:04 PM
He might log on and be sad about how many people wanted to write him off after last year, so don't risk it! We need him happy!

Apparently Dunkley was the same last year :)

jeemak
03-09-2021, 11:14 PM
Apparently Dunkley was the same last year :)

Well you shouldn't have let him log in!

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
03-09-2021, 11:17 PM

Or a people's beard scarf... Give him something to aspire to!!

The Pie Man
04-09-2021, 12:23 AM
The people’s grommet?

bulldogtragic
04-09-2021, 10:07 AM
Afel.com

The quintessential small forward… who’s not actually a small forward

CODY Weightman is the AFL's quintessential small forward.

He provides pressure, has elite footy IQ, possesses high-level goal nous, swagger in abundance, and that must-have small forward quality of being able to creep his way under the skin of opposition defenders.

Except that he's not actually a small forward. Rather, Weightman's game is unique and, throughout season 2021, it has totally redefined the way the Western Bulldogs' forward line has operated.

The Bulldogs, like Melbourne, had weighed up whether Weightman or Kysaiah Pickett was the man for them with pick No.15 in the 2019 NAB AFL Draft. Their decision was made for them, somewhat, when the Dees opted for 'Kozzy' earlier in the night.

But whereas Pickett is that natural, zippy, ground-level attacking player, Weightman is something else altogether. At 178cm, he is a small forward in every aspect – apart from the way he kicks his goals.

Weightman, still just 20 years of age, has kicked 25 goals from 14 games since returning to the Dogs' team in round nine this year. His tally of four majors in last Sunday's elimination final against Essendon was the most crucial haul of his young career to date.

And yet, according to Champion Data, 84 per cent of his goals this season have come from set shots. It's clearly the highest rate of any small forward to kick 20 or more goals throughout the year.

That's because Weightman, a talented junior prospect out of the Dandenong Stingrays, is not a stereotypical small forward. Unlike most other players in the League of his stature, he is someone his teammates want to be kicking the ball to in the air.

He is a target, and a very good one at that. He ranks 'elite' among general forwards for both marks inside-50 and contested marks – as well as for goals – making him incredibly important in a Bulldogs outfit lacking taller options in the absence of Josh Bruce.

After Bruce's season ended abruptly due to an ACL injury sustained in round 21, Weightman's place as a focal point in the Bulldogs' forward line has grown significantly. His average of 4.8 forward-50 targets per match is the second most of any Dogs player available for this Saturday night's semi-final against Brisbane.

Only key forward Aaron Naughton (8.8 targets per match) is ahead of Weightman, with even Tim English (3.8 per match) some way behind the youngster. It's evidence of a superb aerial presence highlighted by his incredible leaping Mark of the Year contender over Melbourne skipper Max Gawn in round 19.

But that's not to say Weightman doesn't do the stuff that often defines the role of a small forward. He does that as well. He is simply good enough to do both, and do both at quite a high level.

Weightman has clearly emerged as the Western Bulldogs' No.1 player for forward-half pressure points this year, according to Champion Data. That's despite the fact he's only played 14 of a possible 23 games.

What's more is that he's added the pressure element to a Dogs outfit that was lacking in that area throughout the first two months of the season. According to Champion Data, the side's pressure factor has risen from 1.70 in the nine games without Weightman (ranked 12th in the League), to 1.75 in the 14 games with him (ranked sixth in the League).

While his four-goal performance against Essendon was celebrated, naturally, by his ability to hit the scoreboard and take the game away from the Bombers, it was his harassing, unselfish work without the footy that set the tone for his afternoon.

His smother on Essendon's Dylan Shiel early in the match, having already pressured both Archie Perkins and Tom Cutler into linking handballs through his relentless chasing, was evidence of that.

There is, of course, another aspect to Weightman's game that makes him such an entertaining, watchable player – provided you're not a fan of the opposition on any particular match day – and that's his ability to draw a free kick.

All four of Weightman's goals on Sunday came from free kicks. According to Champion Data, 36 percent of his goals this year have done so. It's the highest rate of any player to kick 20 or more goals in season 2021.

The 1.8 free kicks he wins per match are also the second-most of any forward in the competition this year, behind only Greater Western Sydney's controversial superstar Toby Greene.

Earlier this year, Greene – a player in a similar mould to Weightman in terms of his stature and presence in the forward line – added a second Therabody AFL All-Australian blazer to his collection.

On this season's evidence, Weightman – who, having played just 17 career games, is one of the rising stars of the competition – could be challenging Greene for that small forward position in the All-Australian team very soon.

bornadog
04-09-2021, 10:35 AM
Great article also in The Age

read here: Cows, surfing, art: Cody Weightman takes the scenic route at the Bulldogs (https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/cows-surfing-art-cody-weightman-takes-the-scenic-route-at-the-bulldogs-20210902-p58o5k.html)

SonofScray
04-09-2021, 11:21 AM
He is going to get absolutely crucified by the umpires today.

No way they will want to give him a free after the abuse and undermining of their decisions in the media all week. Which is a shame, Cody never flopped or feigned contact at any point on the weekend.

Rocco Jones
04-09-2021, 11:49 AM
He is going to get absolutely crucified by the umpires today.

No way they will want to give him a free after the abuse and undermining of their decisions in the media all week. Which is a shame, Cody never flopped or feigned contact at any point on the weekend.

Yeah, probably right but they also might over conform other way. Will look bad if they just don’t give him frees. Media will do it’s thing where they attack the opposite side to the one taken.

Frees= #FreeKickCody
No frees= in their heads

bornadog
16-09-2021, 11:38 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E_XjVLcVkAEILt-?format=jpg&name=large

bulldogtragic
16-09-2021, 11:40 AM
My favourite thing of the year, even if we win next week.

Crozier copping a feel too. Dirty old man. :D

westdog54
16-09-2021, 02:51 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E_XjVLcVkAEILt-?format=jpg&name=large

My favourite thing of the year, even if we win next week.

Crozier copping a feel too. Dirty old man. :D

I was wondering how the hell he got his hands on that hat. That's hilarious.

dadsgirl16
16-09-2021, 02:54 PM
I found my 2011 cap today and wore it walking the streets of Yarraville ��

comrade
16-09-2021, 02:56 PM
Funny because 2011 was a stinker of a year.

westdog54
16-09-2021, 02:58 PM
Funny because 2011 was a stinker of a year.

Wasn't that Eade's last season?

comrade
16-09-2021, 03:03 PM
Wasn't that Eade's last season?

Yep, a true end of an era.

Squeezed everything we could out of the veterans and fell short. Before Macrae and Stringer, before Bont. The expansion teams were coming and hoovering up all the talent as we were dropping down the ladder.

It was really only Libba as shining light and felt like we were as far away from a flag as we ever were.

Happy Days
16-09-2021, 03:08 PM
Barry Hall kicked a million goals though which was pretty sick. He called his retirement then seemingly kicked at least 5 every week for about 3 months.

Sedat
16-09-2021, 04:53 PM
It was really only Libba as shining light and felt like we were as far away from a flag as we ever were.
James Mulligan and Ed Barlow would like a word.

comrade
16-09-2021, 05:14 PM
James Mulligan and Ed Barlow would like a word.

I went back and looked at our list from 2011. What a murderer's row!

Justin Sherman, Pat Vez, Lukas Markovic, Tom Hill, Brennan Stack a go go, Eddie Prato.

bornadog
16-09-2021, 05:15 PM

Justin Sherman, Pat Vez, Lukas Markovic, Tom Hill, Brennan Stack a go go, Eddie Prato.

Rocket told the board we needed to rebuild but they didn't like to hear that.

bulldogsthru&thru
16-09-2021, 05:16 PM

jesus

Sedat
16-09-2021, 05:18 PM

And Boumann was already delisted - he would have redressed the talent vacuum on the list. Alas, he was about to take flight at Glenferrie.

EasternWest
16-09-2021, 05:20 PM
Veszpremi still might come good though.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
16-09-2021, 05:25 PM
Veszpremi still might come good though.

He's just gotta work on that tank.

bornadog
16-09-2021, 05:29 PM
He's just gotta work on that tank.

He was working on it with Tom

https://resources.westernbulldogs.com.au/photo-resources/2021/04/13/cc65be3d-73f8-421f-aa04-226d860ba84f/tCIoYYA8.jpg?width=1240

hujsh
16-09-2021, 06:50 PM

Yes... these are players I can remember. Whoever said I can't remember them at all must by lying.

Testekill
16-09-2021, 09:37 PM
I remember seeing Tom Hill a few times in the VFL and didn't think he was too bad, clearly didn't progress like we wanted but you gotta wonder if he'd have come good if he'd played for Footscray VFL.

Grantysghost
21-09-2021, 05:01 PM
Was cleaning a cupboard found some old caps from the Robodog era. Wonder if I should donate to Cody he's into the retro caps...

From L to R.

https://i.postimg.cc/XJqLSYPb/4080.jpg (https://postimg.cc/phNzKRxG)

The Pie Man
21-09-2021, 06:58 PM
Cody was on Dyl & Friends this week, worth a listen. Handled his professional anxiety really well, got the feeling he’ll embrace everything about the moment on Saturday.

bulldogtragic
21-09-2021, 07:18 PM
Was cleaning a cupboard found some old caps from the Robodog era. Wonder if I should donate to Cody he's into the retro caps...

From L to R.

https://i.postimg.cc/XJqLSYPb/4080.jpg (https://postimg.cc/phNzKRxG)

He pays $6 a hat. Sell them to him. You’ll be rich!

comrade
21-09-2021, 07:23 PM

He's the type to try and haggle.

bulldogtragic
21-09-2021, 07:37 PM
He's the type to try and haggle.

A Teds Towel thrown in for free. Final offer.

Grantysghost
21-09-2021, 07:56 PM
A Teds Towel thrown in for free. Final offer.

Omg now that's a piece of history. Who thought of that?

I probably have one somewhere, if I don't my mum does.

Have to say I'd put a premium on the rare white 2010 cap with the first Mission embroidery.

bulldogtragic
21-09-2021, 08:01 PM
Omg now that's a piece of history. Who thought of that?

I probably have one somewhere, if I don't my mum does.

Have to say I'd put a premium on the rare white 2010 cap with the first Mission embroidery.

Crazy stuff it was. I’ve still got one. I keep throwing it out but years later it’s somewhere in the house.

The Pie Man
22-09-2021, 07:02 AM
https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9yc3Mud2hvb3Noa2FhLmNvbS9yc3MvcG9kY2FzdC9pZC8zODkw/episode/YzRhNWVjMGUtM2ZlNi00NDMzLTk1NDctZWYzOTIxYTRkMTFi?hl=en-AU&ved=2ahUKEwje3b2W-5DzAhVB_XMBHaXqDnkQieUEegQIDBAH&ep=6

jazzadogs
22-09-2021, 08:55 AM

I know you're only joking but I saw a 2000s members hat sell for $50 online earlier this week.

EasternWest
22-09-2021, 09:02 AM
I know you're only joking but I saw a 2000s members hat sell for $50 online earlier this week.

I'm rich.

bulldogtragic
22-09-2021, 11:13 AM
I'm rich.

Time to resign and go full gangster. Walk around the office and tell everyone exactly what you think of them and where the bosses can shove a fire hose. It’s all gravy now EW, you luck bastard.

EasternWest
22-09-2021, 06:58 PM
Walk around the office and tell everyone exactly what you think of them and where the bosses can shove a fire hose.

I generally do that anyway. Might explain why my career is going down the tube.

Mofra
23-09-2021, 08:33 AM
Did anyone see footage this week of Weightman slotting a goal from over the fence?
The kid can seriously bend them.

josie
23-09-2021, 08:51 AM
Did anyone see footage this week of Weightman slotting a goal from over the fence?
The kid can seriously bend them.

Yeah-It was stunning. Bend it like Flea.

MrMahatma
23-09-2021, 04:02 PM
Will kick 5 on the weekend. He’s primed.

bornadog
23-09-2021, 04:22 PM
Will kick 5 on the weekend. He’s primed.

All from free kicks :D:D:D

bulldogtragic
23-09-2021, 07:25 PM
What do you tell Cody? Fly at everything and take a ping at the crazy goals? Or pull it back it in a bit?

Who do they send to Cody? He has got speed, good overhead mark and leading, leaping over Gawn ability and willingness to pressure anyone near him to stop an easy D50 exit. Plus he’s got the ability to kick straight. Everyone in media land referencing our marking power as Naughton, Schache & English with Hannan getting some love for his Contested marking last week. But that first quarter vs North was a window into his ability to be another threat in the air, plus do all the crazy good things pretty much only he can on our list.

SquirrelGrip
23-09-2021, 07:45 PM
I’ve been meditating, just visualising how Saturday night will play out. Then I got to us winning and looked across at Cody. Can you imagine his excitement levels when the final siren sounds?

bulldogtragic
23-09-2021, 07:47 PM
I’ve been meditating, just visualising how Saturday night will play out. Then I got to us winning and looked across at Cody. Can you imagine his excitement levels when the final siren sounds?

5.8 on the Richter scale?

SquirrelGrip
23-09-2021, 08:30 PM
5.8 on the Richter scale?

And plenty of aftershocks too!!

WBFC4FFC
23-09-2021, 08:50 PM
What do you tell Cody? Fly at everything and take a ping at the crazy goals? Or pull it back it in a bit?

Who do they send to Cody? He has got speed, good overhead mark and leading, leaping over Gawn ability and willingness to pressure anyone near him to stop an easy D50 exit. Plus he’s got the ability to kick straight. Everyone in media land referencing our marking power as Naughton, Schache & English with Hannan getting some love for his Contested marking last week. But that first quarter vs North was a window into his ability to be another threat in the air, plus do all the crazy good things pretty much only he can on our list.

He does not jump at everything. He is already smart enough to know that. That game against the Norf, he was marking on hard, quick leads. If the opportunity presents itself, I expect him to do the same.

Just let him play naturally but more than anything (like the rest of the side, let alone the forwards) they MUST exert pressure. That is what has got him to where he is at.

In a similar vein to the more recent comments, the side's pressure rating has to be off the Richter Scale (and well above a measly 5.8)!

Axe Man
23-02-2022, 02:55 PM
"New" cap for Flea

https://i.postimg.cc/8CM565NC/flea.jpg (https://postimg.cc/hJ4cFKJF)

bulldogtragic
20-10-2022, 08:51 PM
VFL/AFEL Goal Kicking Accuracy - 1965-2022 (records date back to) - Minimum 50 Scoring Shots - All Clubs:

1. Michael Murphy - 63.19 - 76.83
2. Tory Dickson - 181.61 - 74.79
3. Mathew Capuano - 37.13 - 74.00
4. Cody Weightman* - 65.24* - 73.03*

Or for complete bias: Of All VFL/AFEL Players Goal Kicking Accuracy with a minimum of 64 Total Goals, 50+ shots (1965-2022) - All Clubs:

1. Tory Dickson - 181.61 - 74.79
2. Cody Weightman* - 65.24* - 73.03*

Go_Dogs
20-10-2022, 08:58 PM
Good stat that. Thanks BT

bulldogtragic
20-10-2022, 09:03 PM
Good stat that. Thanks BT

Task 1. Plan on how to get Cody taking or generating more shots at goal.

jeemak
20-10-2022, 09:41 PM
Task 1. Plan on how to get Cody taking or generating more shots at goal.

That's really up to Cody. Get as fit as he possibly can, and start playing percentages more often.

He's young and has been given a license to fly and enjoy the game, but now he's got to enter the boring part of being an AFL footballer and that's becoming super consistent, reliable and team oriented to ensure he plays percentages.

Axe Man
21-10-2022, 10:52 AM
VFL/AFEL Goal Kicking Accuracy - 1965-2022 (records date back to) - Minimum 50 Scoring Shots - All Clubs:

1. Michael Murphy - 63.19 - 76.83
2. Tory Dickson - 181.61 - 74.79
3. Mathew Capuano - 37.13 - 74.00
4. Cody Weightman* - 65.24* - 73.03*

Or for complete bias: Of All VFL/AFEL Players Goal Kicking Accuracy with a minimum of 64 Total Goals, 50+ shots (1965-2022) - All Clubs:

1. Tory Dickson - 181.61 - 74.79
2. Cody Weightman* - 65.24* - 73.03*

He is an accurate kick but those stats are slightly misleading. He is 65.24 from 108 shots @ 60.19%. I don't know how to find those stats for non-current players but gut feel is Dickson would increase the gap.

bulldogtragic
21-10-2022, 11:07 AM
He is an accurate kick but those stats are slightly misleading. He is 65.24 from 108 shots @ 60.19%. I don't know how to find those stats for non-current players but gut feel is Dickson would increase the gap.

I don't think we can as I don't think that stat exists, which is why the official VFL/AFEL accuracy records are taken off scoring shots. I couldn't think of anything worse than watching all the games, in all the seasons, for pretty much all of the 57 years (if it was even possible) to downgrade player's accuracy to include shows that didn't register a score for whatever reason.

I think it's safe to say that all player's actual accuracy goes down with the official stats only recording actual scoring shots. So the official stat is the best gauge on a comparison on a like for like basis across 57 years.

Swoop
21-10-2022, 11:16 AM
Bevo has insisted on versatility with his players but always played Cody as only a forward. I think he could benefit from floating up to a wing for 5 mins a quarter. We know how hard his position is and how hard he has to fight for his possessions. Spending small parts of the game further up the ground will keep him involved and he's a high impact player. He done this as an U18 player so it's not a foreign concept.

Look at the impact Papley had on Sydney spending spells through the midfield. It might give him an outlet to play with more freedom and having a slightly more disciplined approach when forward. Food for thought.

Twodogs
21-10-2022, 11:24 AM
I couldn't think of anything worse than watching all the games, in all the seasons, for pretty much all of the 57 years (if it was even possible) to downgrade player's accuracy to include shows that didn't register a score for whatever reason.

And you probably wouldn't get any thanks for it. In fact a lot of people might think that you were wasting your time.

They don't really understand though.

Axe Man
21-10-2022, 11:26 AM
I don't think we can as I don't think that stat exists, which is why the official VFL/AFEL accuracy records are taken off scoring shots. I couldn't think of anything worse than watching all the games, in all the seasons, for pretty much all of the 57 years (if it was even possible) to downgrade player's accuracy to include shows that didn't register a score for whatever reason.

I think it's safe to say that all player's actual accuracy goes down with the official stats only recording actual scoring shots. So the official stat is the best gauge on a comparison on a like for like basis across 57 years.

I agree with the historical comparisons, goals and behinds are the best we have got. I am guessing shots at goal stats have been kept for a reasonable number of years now so theoretically they should be available for Dickson.

I guess all I am saying is when looking at any current goal kicking stats shots at goal need to be taken into account. It's a pet peeve when people point only to goals and behinds when the SAG stats are easily available.

bornadog
30-11-2022, 02:33 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FixoNvDVsAEdnSs?format=jpg&name=medium

F'scary
30-11-2022, 03:20 PM
Hopefully, the added responsibility of being awarded that number will drive him to be more consistent.

BornInDroopSt'54
10-12-2022, 10:08 AM
Cody is clearly seen by the club as a champ both as a character and player.
Promises to be a great.
Better than Alan Stoneham for starters.

Mofra
10-12-2022, 10:39 AM
Cody is clearly seen by the club as a champ both as a character and player.
Promises to be a great.
Better than Alan Stoneham for starters.
Really nice kid off field - even a couple of north fans who hate the bulldogs and Cody on-field acknowledge what he's like off it

bornadog
19-06-2023, 02:09 PM
Enjoy his six goals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg9fxADTcoE

jeemak
19-06-2023, 06:32 PM
Not sure if he'll make it........

EasternWest
19-06-2023, 06:58 PM
Not sure if he'll make it........

Wasted pick

jazzadogs
19-06-2023, 07:29 PM
Trade.

jeemak
19-06-2023, 07:42 PM
We really needed a crumbing forward and he just isn't what we need.

Hotdog60
19-06-2023, 08:12 PM
Crozier replacement

1eyedog
19-06-2023, 09:43 PM
Plays tall like for like Jones replacemt.

azabob
20-06-2023, 02:08 AM
Doesn’t earn his goals, only gets them if he gets a free kick.

bornadog
20-06-2023, 09:14 AM
Send him to full back

Curly5
20-06-2023, 12:01 PM
Enjoy his six goals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg9fxADTcoE

Did you see John Schultz at the fence behind Cody when he kicked his 5th? Cody turned and gave him the thumbs up :)

Dogs 24/7
21-06-2023, 03:15 PM
Hes had a number of very good games since he arrived at the club but his effort on Sunday might have been his best.
Hes more athletic than I gave him credit for.

Axe Man
21-06-2023, 03:24 PM
Did you see John Schultz at the fence behind Cody when he kicked his 5th? Cody turned and gave him the thumbs up :)

It was a phone call celebration and doubt it had anything to do with John. Some soccer players do it after scoring. Not sure if there was any particular reason why Cody pulled it out.

SonofScray
21-06-2023, 05:07 PM
It was a phone call celebration and doubt it had anything to do with John. Some soccer players do it after scoring. Not sure if there was any particular reason why Cody pulled it out.

Right in front of me. The rare phone call into the shaka.

Gentleman John gave it a hearty, respectfully vigorous clap.

Not so Gentlemanly SOS and friends were giving it to the North Melbourne defender with an array of two fingered salters, up yours fist pumps and crotch chops.

AshMac
27-06-2023, 08:22 AM
Right in front of me. The rare phone call into the shaka.

Gentleman John gave it a hearty, respectfully vigorous clap.

Not so Gentlemanly SOS and friends were giving it to the North Melbourne defender with an array of two fingered salters, up yours fist pumps and crotch chops.

The old crotch chop - timeless language

bulldogtragic
07-09-2023, 09:34 AM
So I had a thought:

What if we left defenders in defence (JJ, VDM etc), left mids to play mids, and forwards in the forwardline. Crazy I know. But we like to have a HF that can take some time on ball. Call it the role West had at the end of the season that no one else took this year.

What if we recruited two small forwards (say for example Lohmann & Ginnivan). With Clarke as the small forwards group and let Arty go back higher. Then use Weightman in the West role? Let him bring some burst energy on ball and up the ground, but still spend a lot of minutes forward.

It seems the gap between when Cody is firing and when he can?t get a sniff is pretty big sometimes. So could we trade in for some small forward pressure to have that covered, then free up Cody to have more ability to get involved. Clearly if he?s in a mood in front of goal, he stays there.

Then we are looking at:

Naughton, Marra, Lobb
Cody as above
Resting mid (Bonts, Adz are dangerous forward)
Two small pressure forwards (three on the list)

Would this work? Would this stop the MC shoehorning guys getting 25+ midfield touches and then playing on a flank, usually without effect (less West finish). Then give us another wing option with Arty and have guys like West & Garcia playing mid or not at all.

Or is Cody to important to the forward structure?

bornadog
07-09-2023, 10:08 AM
So I had a thought:

What if we left defenders in defence (JJ, VDM etc), left mids to play mids, and forwards in the forwardline. Crazy I know. But we like to have a HF that can take some time on ball. Call it the role West had at the end of the season that no one else took this year.

What if we recruited two small forwards (say for example Lohmann & Ginnivan). With Clarke as the small forwards group and let Arty go back higher. Then use Weightman in the West role? Let him bring some burst energy on ball and up the ground, but still spend a lot of minutes forward.

It seems the gap between when Cody is firing and when he can?t get a sniff is pretty big sometimes. So could we trade in for some small forward pressure to have that covered, then free up Cody to have more ability to get involved. Clearly if he?s in a mood in front of goal, he stays there.

Then we are looking at:

Naughton, Marra, Lobb
Cody as above
Resting mid (Bonts, Adz are dangerous forward)
Two small pressure forwards (three on the list)

Would this work? Would this stop the MC shoehorning guys getting 25+ midfield touches and then playing on a flank, usually without effect (less West finish). Then give us another wing option with Arty and have guys like West & Garcia playing mid or not at all.

Or is Cody to important to the forward structure?

I like it BT and I think Cody would still kick his 30 odd goals.

ledge
07-09-2023, 10:20 AM
Had a conversation with a blues supporter about Weightman and he was trying to say Weightman really dropped off this year and was over rated but admitted last year he was really good.
I enjoyed pointing out he had no idea eg AA under 22 team, then I bought out the stats on this year and last year they are basically the same and I also pointed out 30-40 goals a year is a good return for a small forward.
Only thing I conceded was he flies for marks he sometimes shouldn’t go for.
Cody does his job and will only get better.

Hotdog60
24-01-2024, 07:56 AM
Cody interview.

https://www.afl.com.au/video/1073584/footy-feed-globetrotting-dog-on-travel-training-and-haters?videoId=1073584&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1706036400001

weltschmerz
24-01-2024, 01:45 PM
Flea’s our Tory Dickson of the 2020s. If we think pf him as a great medium forward rather than a failed crumbing forward we’ll get a lot more joy out of the great things he brings to the side.

kllay4
26-01-2024, 11:41 AM
Cody is a lot more important than we give him credit for. He is our only small forward that is capable of 30+ goals a year. Would love to find him a friend as Cody is more of a marking small rather than a crumbing player

josie
26-01-2024, 02:00 PM
Cody is a lot more important than we give him credit for. He is our only small forward that is capable of 30+ goals a year. Would love to find him a friend as Cody is more of a marking small rather than a crumbing player

Agree. Plus he has shown a bit as a clearance player too. His marketing appeal and vibrancy which I think pepps up other players is also high.

EasternWest
26-01-2024, 08:08 PM
Agree. Plus he has shown a bit as a clearance player too. His marketing appeal and vibrancy which I think pepps up other players is also high.

Yeah Cody Weightman is low key pretty good at footy all.round.

Sam
26-01-2024, 08:28 PM
Wouldn’t mind some of his energy in the midfield on the odd occasion

Mantis
01-02-2024, 09:32 AM
Wouldn’t mind some of his energy in the midfield on the odd occasion

I think the team were planning to have him run through the midfield in ?23 but his pre-season injury put pay to that?. Given he is spending time in that role in preseason training I think it?s back in the radar, and I think we can all see the benefits to his and our performance.

Jasper
01-02-2024, 05:50 PM
I think the team were planning to have him run through the midfield in ?23 but his pre-season injury put pay to that?. Given he is spending time in that role in preseason training I think it?s back in the radar, and I think we can all see the benefits to his and our performance.

I like the idea if him providing a point of difference in the midfield rotations but it's likely to be just a few brief cameo's.

jeemak
01-02-2024, 09:22 PM
One of the things I really like about Cody is he's a natural forward who seems to want to be a natural forward......

Go_Dogs
01-02-2024, 10:35 PM
One of the things I really like about Cody is he's a natural forward who seems to want to be a natural forward......

The type of player Collingwood seem have in droves. Natural goal sense, agility and multiple roles. I think his forward craft is still his one wood and hope he spends 80%+ of his game time there, but also think a few CBAs a game will help him a lot too.

ledge
02-02-2024, 10:56 AM
The type of player Collingwood seem have in droves. Natural goal sense, agility and multiple roles. I think his forward craft is still his one wood and hope he spends 80%+ of his game time there, but also think a few CBAs a game will help him a lot too.

Do what Stringer does at the Bombers , occasional run through the middle but mostly forward. Difference is Cody doesn’t hang on the outside up forward yelling kick it to me . He goes in .

bulldogtragic
25-03-2024, 11:15 AM
Where do we see him getting to, only 61 games in?

Career averages for goals per game:

Gia: 1.2
Johno: 1.5
Dickson: 1.6
Cody: 1.7

Glove38
25-03-2024, 11:40 AM

Im hoping he can consistently be a 45+ goals a year forward. He has the tools and the way he scored his goals yesterday shows that he can hurt the opposition in the air and on the ground. Most importantly he brings energy to the team that we lack.

lemmon
25-03-2024, 12:08 PM

Jake Stringer is the Dogs player Cody reminds me of most in terms of style and interestingly also goes at 1.7 per game. Both have that mercurial streak, get their tails up when they're on top of an opponent and are tough match-ups in that they're hybrid threats at ground level and in the air. I thought Cody's game on the weekend was straight out of the Stringer 2015 play-book.

I think the challenge for Cody is closing the gap between best and worst. He's clearly in amazing condition this year, and his professionalism sets him apart from someone like Jake, but I think the improvement will come in how he contributes in ways that aren't on the scoreboard. Would like to see him round out his game in terms of forward 50 pressure (big improvement from the first round) and you'd like to see him play 'provider' a little more than he does.

Great signs though, feel like he could be in for a breakout year.

MrMahatma
25-03-2024, 12:37 PM

I think he'll end up a better player than Gia & Dickson. A more consistent threat, and could crack the AA team, which in his role is pretty tough.

GVGjr
25-03-2024, 03:17 PM

2 goals per game would be a great goal for him to aim for and he has a good chance of achieving that.

bulldogtragic
25-03-2024, 03:32 PM
2 goals per game would be a great goal for him to aim for and he has a good chance of achieving that.

30% higher output than Johno. That would be a huge career with us if he played anywhere near 300 games let alone what Johno played.

To think he’s already above the best most recent mid forwards at only 61 games is perhaps validation that as he gets more consistency and experience that he can nudge 2 goals a game.

GVGjr
25-03-2024, 03:48 PM
30% higher output than Johno. That would be a huge career with us if he played anywhere near 300 games let alone what Johno played.

To think he’s already above the best most recent mid forwards at only 61 games is perhaps validation that as he gets more consistency and experience that he can nudge 2 goals a game.

I guess that given Johnno played a lot of his early football on a wing perhaps as much as 80 to 100 games before being played more forward and becoming a regular goal kicker at close to 2 goals per game average.
It won't be easy for Weightman to achieve that but he's off to a decent start.

hujsh
25-03-2024, 04:00 PM
2 goals a game as a small forward is just about as good as it gets without them being your primary avenue to goal. Maybe when he's hot he should do that but with Jamarra, Naughton and Darcy around I'd be happy if he continues to average 1.7-2 goals a game and gets more involved with the ball and added an element of consistency to his game outside of just goal kicking.

I think he's a good pressure player at his best too though maybe that's fallen away a little since 2021?

Disposal numbers, assists, tackles, pressure. That's probably the most efficient way to get more from Weightman. The goals will come in spurts, which is the nature of his position. Contributing more around those spurts would be great.

Bulldog Joe
25-03-2024, 04:11 PM

To think he?s already above the best most recent mid forwards at only 61 games is perhaps validation that as he gets more consistency and experience that he can nudge 2 goals a game.

While he has a higher goal average, he is not really comparable to Johno or Gia.

He has been played about 99.9% as a forward where Gia and Johno didn't get to that until the later stages of their careers.

More comparable to Tory Dickson and tracking very well in comparison.

I like the Stringer comparison and if he can produce near the best of Stringer with a professional attitude it will be a great career.

lemmon
25-03-2024, 04:46 PM
Some other guys that might be an interesting comparison point -
Eddie Betts kicked 1.8 goals per game
Stephen Milne kicked 2.1 goals per game
Cyril kicked a touch under 1.5 goals per game
Toby Greene is at 1.5 goals per game

Obviously not the be all and end all, and those guys brought different facets as well, but Cody's had no trouble hitting the scoreboard. I think a lot of his work now is about becoming a more well-rounded footballer.

hujsh
25-03-2024, 04:51 PM

Obviously not the be all and end all, and those guys brought different facets as well, but Cody's had no trouble hitting the scoreboard. I think a lot of his work now is about becoming a more well-rounded footballer.

Russell Robertson and Charlie Cameron were 2 others I looked at for comparison too. Also compares alright as far as goals go against them

Sedat
25-03-2024, 04:59 PM
There has been understandable comparisons between Cody and Kossie Pickett since both were drafted, obviously because we were very keen on Kossie and got pipped by Melbourne. I would suggest the more accurate apples with apples comparison is between Cody and Fritsch - we all hate Beavis' annoying head but he is a nightmare match-up for most teams and got it done huge time on the biggest stage there is.

Cody's career progression is similarly tracking along beautifully. He's not that small pressure forward we need but he is a fantastic hybrid forward who consistently hits the scoreboard - not an easy role at all.

josie
25-03-2024, 05:14 PM

And perhaps Jamie Elliot? (Sorry if name wrong-gun Pies small forward).

weltschmerz
25-03-2024, 05:18 PM
Just about his best trait is his accuracy. Hiccuped a bit last year along with the rest of the team, but he's just about as accurate as Dicko.

bornadog
25-03-2024, 05:22 PM
Just about his best trait is his accuracy. Hiccuped a bit last year along with the rest of the team, but he's just about as accurate as Dicko.

see here (https://afltables.com/afl/stats/accuracy.html)

Dicko on 74.79
Cody: 70.67

* based on scoring shots

EasternWest
25-03-2024, 06:45 PM
There has been understandable comparisons between Cody and Kossie Pickett since both were drafted, obviously because we were very keen on Kossie and got pipped by Melbourne. I would suggest the more accurate apples with apples comparison is between Cody and Fritsch - we all hate Beavis' annoying head but he is a nightmare match-up for most teams and got it done huge time on the biggest stage there is.

Cody's career progression is similarly tracking along beautifully. He's not that small pressure forward we need but he is a fantastic hybrid forward who consistently hits the scoreboard - not an easy role at all.

I'd take Fritsch in a heartbeat and I'd trade chef to do it.

chef
25-03-2024, 07:13 PM
I'd take Fritsch in a heartbeat and I'd trade chef to do it.

Boo.

weltschmerz
25-03-2024, 07:17 PM
see here (https://afltables.com/afl/stats/accuracy.html)

Dicko on 74.79
Cody: 70.67

* based on scoring shots

Second most accurate active player. Just a natural forward.

EasternWest
25-03-2024, 07:18 PM
Boo.

Are you saying Boo-urns?

hujsh
25-03-2024, 08:21 PM
Are you saying Boo-urns?

https://frinkiac.com/meme/S06E18/1054102.jpg?b64lines=SSB3YXMg

bulldogtragic
25-03-2024, 08:46 PM
Jake Stringer is the Dogs player Cody reminds me of most in terms of style and interestingly also goes at 1.7 per game. Both have that mercurial streak, get their tails up when they're on top of an opponent and are tough match-ups in that they're hybrid threats at ground level and in the air. I thought Cody's game on the weekend was straight out of the Stringer 2015 play-book.

I think the challenge for Cody is closing the gap between best and worst. He's clearly in amazing condition this year, and his professionalism sets him apart from someone like Jake, but I think the improvement will come in how he contributes in ways that aren't on the scoreboard. Would like to see him round out his game in terms of forward 50 pressure (big improvement from the first round) and you'd like to see him play 'provider' a little more than he does.

Great signs though, feel like he could be in for a breakout year.

Interesting comparison, after 61 Games:

Stringer: 117 Goals
Weightman: 106 Goals

Stringer hit his career peak already by this point, while Cody is yet to fully hit his potential in most likelihood.

Happy Days
25-03-2024, 09:05 PM
Surely I’m not the only one that sees Nathan Brown?

Grantysghost
25-03-2024, 09:12 PM
I see MJ Fox.
https://i.postimg.cc/x1mpsH2C/32-73cfd581-586a-4ab3-9b62-4080a99a1da5-900x.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

https://i.postimg.cc/7hcX9Pt0/shutterstock-editorial-5886092bh.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

angelopetraglia
25-03-2024, 09:33 PM
Interesting comparison, after 61 Games:

Stringer: 117 Goals
Weightman: 106 Goals

Stringer hit his career peak already by this point, while Cody is yet to fully hit his potential in most likelihood.

Great comparison and if you asked me to guess I would have thought Stringer was way ahead.

bulldogtragic
25-03-2024, 09:46 PM
Great comparison and if you asked me to guess I would have thought Stringer was way ahead.

Me too considering one was just called The Package after/during an AA season. But on goal kicking alone, the bang Stringer made is being pretty well matched by Cody at the same point.

bornadog
25-03-2024, 10:57 PM
Stringer = over rated

The Pie Man
25-03-2024, 11:07 PM

I’m guessing you don’t mean this, but one of the Fox Footy pics that pops up when he goals is *very* first year N Brown

Let’s hope he’s loaded up on calcium eh

Dry Rot
25-03-2024, 11:15 PM
I think we should acknowledge the brilliant coaching of Bevo yesterday, using Naugton and JUH as decoy forwards.

chef
26-03-2024, 05:34 AM
Stringer = over rated

We all rated Stringer after that AA season, he just didnt go on with it.

bulldogtragic
26-03-2024, 07:30 AM

Yep! 117 goals in his first 61 games was a red hot start to his career. Then he just got lazy like BMac warned he could.

But to see Cody tracking at that level is surprising and exciting as he’s got the work ethic to try to find another gear.

Grantysghost
26-03-2024, 08:09 AM
He got too heavy. With his leg issue, he really looks hobbled now.

I thought he was a good size back in 15/16

https://i.postimg.cc/kXpM4Cq6/Screenshot-20240326-081053.png (https://postimg.cc/bs1fCKGp)

Testekill
26-03-2024, 10:45 AM
The other thing is that opposition teams found out that they no longer needed to play a KPP against him, he plays a lot smaller than he is so they just had to play a medium sized defender against him.

ledge
26-03-2024, 11:03 AM
Stringer was never a quick, urgent, in and under player. He also hangs outside packs or will do the occasional run through hoping the ball will fall in his lap.
Weightman is quick, urgent , will go into a pack and will tackle and chase .
To be honest I see nothing similar except the position they play or they are both capable of taking a big mark. Although I am not sure Stringer can get up and take one anymore.
Stringer has become the guy in the forward line who runs away from the play and asks to kick it to him if they get it.

bornadog
26-03-2024, 11:23 AM
Stringer was never a quick, urgent, in and under player. He also hangs outside packs or will do the occasional run through hoping the ball will fall in his lap.
Weightman is quick, urgent , will go into a pack and will tackle and chase .
To be honest I see nothing similar except the position they play or they are both capable of taking a big mark. Although I am not sure Stringer can get up and take one anymore.
Stringer has become the guy in the forward line who runs away from the play and asks to kick it to him if they get it.

Stringer is scared of body contact

jeemak
26-03-2024, 11:35 AM
Stinger was super quick, but only urgent when it suited him/ there was a sniff of a goal.

angelopetraglia
26-03-2024, 12:15 PM
Gigacz

Average goals per game for the @WesternBulldogs
in the 21st century (minimum 50 V/AFL games)...

2.20 - Nathan Brown
1.94 - Brad Johnson
1.80 - Jake Stringer
1.74 - CODY WEIGHTMAN
1.59 - Tory Dickson

hujsh
26-03-2024, 12:37 PM
Okay nevermind it's vital Cody average above 2.2 goals for the good of the team and no other reason

Mitcha
29-03-2024, 11:48 AM
Stringer is scared of body contact
With Jake it all depends on what type of body contact you are talking about, Avoids it at all costs on the ground but quite partial to it otherwise.

bornadog
03-07-2024, 05:05 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQuYXOsKwks&ab_channel=WesternBulldogs

angelopetraglia
04-07-2024, 10:42 AM
Cody Weightman re-signs with Western Bulldogs until 2027 in a massive show of faith link:https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/western-bulldogs-lock-away-another-forward-as-weightman-extends-contract-to-2027/news-story/918bb9e2c16530b016d7c6a9592b28c8

The first thing Cody Weightman did on Tuesday morning was go give Luke Beveridge a hug. He tells SAM LANDSBERGER how much it meant to see his mentor stand up for him on TV on Monday night, and why it valiated his decision to re-sign.

Re-signed Western Bulldogs goalkicker Cody Weightman walked up to Luke Beveridge on Tuesday morning and gave him a hug.

?I really appreciated him standing up for me,? Weightman told this masthead.

?As players you don?t feel like you have a voice and you?ve just got to cop some stuff that comes your way.

?But for him to go into bat for me and say what I felt was quite nice. I certainly went up to him and thanked him for that.

?He?s someone that just backs us in as players and it?s so important to feel that.?

Weightman has re-signed with the Western Bulldogs until 2027 in a massive show of faith in the Bulldogs and in Beveridge, putting pen to paper on Sunday and announcing the decision on Wednesday.

It also followed a weekend of critics foolishly accusing him of milking two free kicks on Saturday.

But they were clear-cut frees and on Monday night on AFL360 Beveridge ? in his words ? ?danced down the pitch? to smash those claims for six.

?What has he done wrong there? He?s been grabbed around the neck?? Beveridge said on AFL360.

?He?s got that much courage, and I?ll protect him and go into bat for him for however the day is long.

?He plays with a velocity and a courage like the best small forwards do in the game. That?s why he?s such a good player.

?We?re talking about a young fellow who has played with a dislocated elbow and three times that?s happened before he?s needed to fix it with surgery.?

Weightman is a star ? not a stager ? and he will continue to light up the Dogs forward line until at least 2027, as revealed by the Herald Sun.

Weightman is the AFL?s No. 1 player for goalkicking accuracy this season with the sharpshooter converting 20.4.

The sharpshooter?s return from his most recent dislocated elbow came almost three weeks early against Fremantle in the latest sign of his bravery.

He has undergone five surgeries in his short career but has played through pain repeatedly to help the Dogs.

Beveridge said on Monday that Weightman ?almost falls off the threshold at the bravery end of the continuum? in a powerful interview on AFL360.

?We?re talking about a young fellow who has played with a dislocated elbow and three times that?s happened before he?s needed to fix it with surgery,? Beveridge said.

?He plays with a velocity and a courage like the best small forwards do in the game. That?s why he?s such a good player.?

?The elbow is the obvious one because it?s a bit gross and it pops out, but I?ve had five surgeries now,? Weightman said.

?I feel right now my body is actually quite healthy and I?m getting a decent run at it.

?It?s pretty normal players playing through injuries and then you get to the end of the year and get cut up pretty quickly and fixed.

?The ability to play through injuries ? we saw ?Bont? (captain Marcus Bontempelli) on the weekend, a (back) spasm during the week and his ability to put that behind him and just play such good footy.

?That?s what the best players do, so it?s something I?m searching for in my game to not succumb to any injury and just play through stuff.?

Weightman, 23, was not due to fall out of contract until the end of 2025. But when the club offered a contract he was thrilled to jump the list management queue and on Sunday the ink dried on a deal that will take him through to free agency.

Weightman?s signature follows fellow goalkickers Aaron Naughton (2032) and Jamarra Ugle-Hagan (2026) re-signing in the past 12 months.

?I hadn?t even thought about my next contract until it was brought up to me, so it?s a bonus to be able to get it done so early,? Weightman said.

?The last couple of times I?ve been fortunate enough that the club?s come a bit earlier and started communications about re-signing.

?That?s a blessing because you don?t have to worry about it that much.

?The club are obviously happy enough to give me that, and I?m really happy to stay so it was a bit of a no-brainer once the offer was there.

?I?m stoked to be staying at the kennel and pretty happy about it and settled in, so it?s nice to be calling it home for another three (years) at least.?

The Dogs head to Adelaide Oval ? Weightman?s favourite venue, owing to the pre-entertainment and surface ? to tackle the Power in a genuine eight-point game on Saturday.

?We?ve worked really hard to get ourselves to a position where we?re slightly ahead of the ledger now,? Weightman said.

?It comes down to wanting it or fearing it more and it feels like the group right now wants it more than we?re fearing it.

?We?ve got a pretty solid draw, which is exciting, too, because if we can get it done we feel we?ll go into finals with some confidence and some momentum.

?The prospect of winning a premiership he is real and alive.?

As for the unwanted attention this week?

Weightman said he was grateful to Beveridge. He ?loves? playing for the only senior coach he has ever had.

?For me I just put my phone away and don?t consume much of that stuff,? Weightman said.

?But it is nice to have people back you up and make sure my side of the story is listened to.?

Ozza
04-07-2024, 12:40 PM
Very happy he has extended. He's a hell of a player, and natural forward.

Averages more goals per game than any player on our list. Is the 3rd most accurate kick for goal in history for players with over 100 shots (7th of players with over 50 shots) and is clearly a good and positive teammate.

We are far better with him out there.

jeemak
04-07-2024, 12:57 PM
I'm hopeful that with a bit more continuity Cody makes it.

azabob
04-07-2024, 03:46 PM

Sorry jee. More chance of Treloar buying in and we all know that just will not happen.

EasternWest
04-07-2024, 04:52 PM

I think he'll need an attitudinal adjustment if he's going to make it. He's like a rolling thunder of negative energy and those types never buoy the people around them.

GVGjr
04-07-2024, 06:45 PM
It appears that hackers have broken the Code.

EasternWest
05-07-2024, 10:55 AM
It appears that hackers have broken the Code.

Booooo but also not bad.

When the boss shitposts, people should listen.

Axe Man
05-07-2024, 11:16 AM
Something is wrong when Damo is backing Bevo...

IF ...
being on the same page and headspace as Bevo is something I haven't often found myself on ...

THEN ...
weird times this week. I was there this week. Fully agreed with him in his fierce defence of Cody Weightman. And really glad he spoke up when others were ridiculously questioning Cody's character.

macca
05-07-2024, 01:12 PM
Something is wrong when Damo is backing Bevo...

IF ...
being on the same page and headspace as Bevo is something I haven't often found myself on ...

THEN ...
weird times this week. I was there this week. Fully agreed with him in his fierce defence of Cody Weightman. And really glad he spoke up when others were ridiculously questioning Cody's character.

I rarely agree with Damo, but article for IF... then... I agreed on the above and this point :
AND THIS ONE'S FOR THE AFL
IF ...
I was Andrew Dillon ...

THEN ...
while I understand his need to publicly support his under-siege umpires and football department, I wouldn't have said: "I think it's as good as it's ever been, the umpiring." Simply because it's not.

umpiring has been pathetic this year.

W.B vs Lions game.
5mins left in 3rd quarter, frees 5-20 in favour of Lions. In the end it was 16-24 at the siren. x3 number of frees awarded in a quarter of footy.

this is one data set example of many.

bornadog
15-08-2024, 04:47 PM
For anyone who missed this energetic bouncing kid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_sIscswe54

Sedat
15-08-2024, 04:49 PM
For anyone who missed this energetic bouncing kid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_sIscswe54
I forget that this show even exists. Pretty amazing that ch 7 is the host broadcaster and has far less non-match content than ch 9 (and what little they have is garbage)

bornadog
15-08-2024, 05:09 PM
I forget that this show even exists. Pretty amazing that ch 7 is the host broadcaster and has far less non-match content than ch 9 (and what little they have is garbage)

I don't watch those shows unless I hear a Bulldog player/coach is on

Uninformed
15-08-2024, 06:20 PM
Love his football, but he's a great young lad too.