PDA

View Full Version : If a stop gap captain had to be found

LostDoggy
24-02-2008, 12:09 AM
wimberga gave me a thread and post idea.

If Johnson was injured for an extended period (what a catrastophe that would be) who would step in if say Scott West didn't want it?

Who would you want fronting the media etc?

LostDoggy
24-02-2008, 12:13 AM
To me it is a race in two between, Cross and Akermanis but I would be interested in everyone else's thoughts?

I'll go with Aker because I think he would respond to it well and handle the additional duties easily.
Nothing wrong with Cross but a slight edge to Aker.

hujsh
24-02-2008, 12:19 AM
Cross for when he is the permanent captain.

LostDoggy
24-02-2008, 12:22 AM
Cross for when he is the permanent captain.

Good point but I was looking more at a short term fix. If Johnson captains for the next two years Cooney or Griffen might be in the mix rather than Cross.

hujsh
24-02-2008, 12:33 AM
Good point but I was looking more at a short term fix. If Johnson captains for the next two years Cooney or Griffen might be in the mix rather than Cross.

Yeah. I was looking at using it as an apprenticeship. I don't see Cooney or Griffen as captains as of yet

The Bulldogs Bite
24-02-2008, 02:21 AM
Not sure, it's a tough one - we don't appear to have any leading candidates at this stage. Over the next 12 months Cooney and/or Griffen should be added into the leadership group, though. We need both of these to accept responsbility and start playing the football we need them to. If I recall correctly, Griff captained his U18 side?

MrMahatma
24-02-2008, 03:53 AM
I think we need someone who'll stand up and not be pushed around, physically intimidated and never give in. As bad a player as Vandenberg was, at least he would put his body on the line for his boys.

I don't see anyone on our list who's got that sort of bollocks.

Bulldog Revolution
24-02-2008, 10:07 AM
For me its Cross as the stop gap, with Cooney the captain in waiting

Akermanis is one seemingly from left field Billy Blogger - whats the thinking there?

Go_Dogs
24-02-2008, 11:43 AM
Griff is my man for future captain.

Crossy would do a good job as an interim captain if Johnno wsa injured.

wimberga
24-02-2008, 11:52 AM
Cross would be an excellent leader at training and off the park, but what about on the field? Im not questioning his playing ability, but depending on what you believe being a captain involves, he may not be the ideal choice because of his position and the way he plays. he is always working hard to win the ball or moving to it, and thus very rarely has little chance to offer instruction to other team mates.

That would be the only mark against crossy in my book. some may say you dont pick a captain because of a position and whilst i agree, i do think perhaps it needs to be taken into consideration depending on the type of captain the club wants.

Dry Rot
25-02-2008, 08:44 PM
I'd like to see Aker get a run. I think he'd be a good onfield leader NB with the young players.

Twodogs
26-02-2008, 10:41 AM
Chris Judd.

Cyberdoggie
26-02-2008, 01:39 PM
i'd pick gilbee

if you've ever listen to him speak you'd know why.

Cyberdoggie
26-02-2008, 01:42 PM

Akermanis is one seemingly from left field Billy Blogger - whats the thinking there?

are you picking on performances or personality?

cross is a fairly quiet bloke doesn't say a lot, more of an actions than words man.

Cooney is similar but also a bit of joker.

personnally i don't see them as captain material.

(although you could say chris grant was a bit like cross)

Bulldog Revolution
26-02-2008, 01:43 PM
Cross would be an excellent leader at training and off the park, but what about on the field? Im not questioning his playing ability, but depending on what you believe being a captain involves, he may not be the ideal choice because of his position and the way he plays. he is always working hard to win the ball or moving to it, and thus very rarely has little chance to offer instruction to other team mates.

That would be the only mark against crossy in my book. some may say you dont pick a captain because of a position and whilst i agree, i do think perhaps it needs to be taken into consideration depending on the type of captain the club wants.

That almost leads to Akermanis then, who does a fair bit of player positioning already

Or is the ever dependable West the so obvious choice we have ignored it?

Mantis
26-02-2008, 01:56 PM
Or is the ever dependable West the so obvious choice we have ignored it?

Been there, done that. Doesn't inspire me as an outstanding candidate.

We should be looking for life after West not making him the centre point of our footy team, sooner rather than later too.

Twodogs
26-02-2008, 02:05 PM
Been there, done that. Doesn't inspire me as an outstanding candidate.

We should be looking for life after West not making him the centre point of our footy team, sooner rather than later too.

I'd run the next time you see Scooter.

Really, really quickly.

Mantis
26-02-2008, 02:32 PM
I'd run the next time you see Scooter.

Really, really quickly.

I think he might have him covered on the running track.

Somebody has to say it and I don't mind being the bad guy.

Sockeye Salmon
26-02-2008, 02:46 PM
I think he might have him covered on the running track.

Somebody has to say it and I don't mind being the bad guy.

That's one of the things I liked about footy.

The fast guys had to stop running eventually.

LostDoggy
26-02-2008, 08:34 PM

OK, remember its a stop gap measure and Johnno will be back next season. Aker has expressed interest in coaching in some capacity after his playing days are over so this could be a great dress rehearsal. They way I see it is that he would have to make this work and the fact that he grabs the media's attention anyway I don't see any downside.

I wouldn't leave him in the role because it would only be for a balance of season type thing and I don't think Cross is quite ready but Aker would eat it.

wimberga
26-02-2008, 09:50 PM
would love to hear from the people who voted for Mitch Hahn, no disrespect to the man, just interested?

soupman
28-02-2008, 12:14 PM
I voted for Cross.

Hard working, tough, hard at it, consistently good, leads with actions, not afraid to put his head over the ball, he's a very good candidate. There's also the aspect that he would be one of the least naturally talented blokes on our list; not quick, skilfull, or overly exciting, but he gets a game very week and is almost always in our top 5 players.

I think Mitch Hahn is an interesting candidate, he's one of the few physical players in our side, and can do stuff nobody else in our side can/will do, but he seems to flash in and out of games and is too injury prone for me. However, if you look at the highlights dvd for 2006, for the first 9 or so rounds before he was injured halmost every highlighted goal featured him setting it up (or kicking it) through throwing himself into the contest and doing the inspriing 1 percenter stuff coaches dream of.