PDA

View Full Version : No Lake for Round 1?

Dry Rot
25-02-2008, 11:17 AM
Dogs bank on hip scan to end Lake fears

Michael Gleeson | February 25, 2008

WESTERN Bulldogs full-back Brian Lake will undergo scans on his hip to determine the extent of an injury that could jeopardise his start to the season.

The Bulldogs are hoping Lake (formerly Harris) will be available for round one, but will have a clearer picture today.

Lake received a corked hip in a collision during Friday night's loss to Essendon. A scan will reveal whether there is any structural damage or if the injury is simply bruising in and around the joint.

"We will get the scans to find out if it was a cork or any further damage," Bulldogs football manager James Fantasia said yesterday. "I suspect he will be OK for the first round, but he will be out for the next couple of matches."

Two other talls, Tom Williams and Wade Skipper, are also coming off injury, so the Bulldogs would be slightly stretched in defence were Lake unable to come up for the first round.

Midfielder Tim Callan received mild concussion from a knock on Friday night but is expected to play in a practice game in Bendigo on Friday afternoon.

Midfielder Ryan Griffen, who has been missing from the club for a week for family reasons, is expected back this week and is likely to play in the practice match. Daniel Giansiracusa and Farren Ray are still to come back.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/lake-to-have-hip-scan/2008/02/24/1203788145868.html

Anyone got any idea of a likely Crows forwardline we'll be facing?

With O'Shea too raw, Williams injured, McDougall hopeless and Everitt not ready, it looks like Morris, Hargrave and Wight will have to cover FB and CHF if Lake is not fit.

wimberga
25-02-2008, 11:32 AM
its not sounding too good for a game we really need to win for several reasons, one of which is for Johnno.

Maybe the line up may be something like

FB: Hargrave Morris Callan

HB: Gilbee Skipper/Mcdoiugall/Wight/Williams Everitt

Dry Rot
25-02-2008, 11:33 AM
its not sounding too good for a game we really need to win for several reasons, one of which is for Johnno.

Maybe the line up may be something like

FB: Hargrave Morris Callan

HB: Gilbee Skipper/Mcdoiugall/Wight/Williams Everitt

Would you have Griff back there? Any idea of the likely Crows lineup forward?

mjp
25-02-2008, 11:52 AM
Would you have Griff back there? Any idea of the likely Crows lineup forward?

Crows forward line, shmorwardline.

Did you see their running power against Fremantle yesterday? Did you see their pressure?

My goodness we are in TROUBLE.

Dry Rot
25-02-2008, 11:56 AM
Crows forward line, shmorwardline.

Did you see their running power against Fremantle yesterday? Did you see their pressure?

My goodness we are in TROUBLE.

I didn't see the game.

Did the Crows play well? Sounds like their form in Rd 1 NAB was no fluke.

wimberga
25-02-2008, 12:00 PM
They did play really well. McGregor kicked a bag and Mcleod was at his best and playing more forward than back.

Go_Dogs
25-02-2008, 01:03 PM
Anyone got any idea of a likely Crows forwardline we'll be facing?

With O'Shea too raw, Williams injured, McDougall hopeless and Everitt not ready, it looks like Morris, Hargrave and Wight will have to cover FB and CHF if Lake is not fit.

I feel they have a slightly better forward set up to last year, and will definitely have better defensive pressure in their F50. McGregor played as the key forward yesterday kicking 3, and McLeod also chipped in with 3 goals. Besides that they have the tall options of Sellar, and one resting of Tippett, Maric or Griffen - all whom have shown enough for me to suggest they'll do enough. Goodwin, Edwards and McLeod will also spend more time up forward. Combine that with Burton, and perhaps one of Vince/Douglas playing a bit up forward too, seems to be a pretty good mixture of players who could do damage.

I'm pretty worried about the game because the Crows will certainly be hitting their straps come round one, and always seem to start the season very strongly. They'll have numbers to the ball and their zone setups are very good at counteracting our forward movements. Let's hope we've practiced some new things over summer, that we're yet to see at this stage.

GVGjr
25-02-2008, 01:11 PM
I didn't see the game.

Did the Crows play well? Sounds like their form in Rd 1 NAB was no fluke.

They were brilliant. Look out all small defenders as well. If McLeod plays forward they could get a real thrashing.

Big Will
27-02-2008, 02:48 AM
The club now expects Lake to be fit for Rd 1.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,23282385-19742,00.html

LostDoggy
27-02-2008, 10:37 AM
To be honest i dont think we could ever win a flag with Harris/Lake as our fullback. So to have him out will give someone else a chance

westdog54
27-02-2008, 01:33 PM
To be honest i dont think we could ever win a flag with Harris/Lake as our fullback. So to have him out will give someone else a chance

May I ask why you think that? We're talking about the reigning Sutton Medallist here.

Go_Dogs
27-02-2008, 01:36 PM
I'm sure people said the same thing about Ottens being a ruck in a premiership side...

Harris is definitely one of the better full backs going around. If he can continue to sort out his brain fades and decision making/disposal - which has improved markedly over the past few years - he'll be AA full back before his careers over.

bornadog
27-02-2008, 02:46 PM

Who is your solution?

Lake is the first decent tall fullback we have had for a very long time.

LostDoggy
27-02-2008, 05:32 PM
May I ask why you think that? We're talking about the reigning Sutton Medallist here.

I dont rate him. Turns the ball over to easily, doesnt have a football brain, gets out muscled by 'big' forwards, doesnt 'lead' the defence, makes to many clangers, isnt reliable. Takes the odd good mark though

I dont know how he won the Sutton, shows how bad we were last year. He is a B grade Fullback but his disposal is C grade

LostDoggy
27-02-2008, 05:50 PM

If you question our B&F winner then what about the 40+ other guys?

Sockeye Salmon
27-02-2008, 06:40 PM

That's a BF standard post that should be deleted.

If you can't contribute, **** off.

Mario Bortalotto played only 21 games but won two premiership medalions playing fullback.

Premierships are not won by 22 champions any more, the salary cap and draft doesn't allow it. Premierships are won by teams with players who play there role with some very good players around them.

Lake is way better than a role player, BTW, I'd go as far as saying he's one of the top 3-4 tall defenders in the game.

Geelong will never win a premiership with Nathan Ablett at FF.

westdog54
27-02-2008, 07:18 PM
I dont rate him. Turns the ball over to easily, doesnt have a football brain, gets out muscled by 'big' forwards, doesnt 'lead' the defence, makes to many clangers, isnt reliable. Takes the odd good mark though

I dont know how he won the Sutton, shows how bad we were last year. He is a B grade Fullback but his disposal is C grade

Takes the odd good mark? He's the best contested mark at the club, so that part is bollocks.

Gets outmiscled by 'big' forwards? Gave Fraser Gehrig a bath last year as well as forcing Barry Hall 100 metres up the ground to get his touches, so that part too is bollocks.

Isn't reliable? Honestly, how many really bad games did he have last year? The only stand-out I can think of is when we played the Kangaroos.

Doesn't have a football brain? He's great at reading the play and knows when to run off his opponent, as shown by his performance against Collingwood.

B-Grade Fullback? Darren Glass got towelled up by Justin Westhoff last year, I can only assume you regard him as B-Grade as well then, despite being a premiership and AA full-back?

He won the Sutton because he had a fantastic year.

Try again Jerry.

LostDoggy
27-02-2008, 08:20 PM
Takes the odd good mark? He's the best contested mark at the club, so that part is bollocks.

Gets outmiscled by 'big' forwards? Gave Fraser Gehrig a bath last year as well as forcing Barry Hall 100 metres up the ground to get his touches, so that part too is bollocks.

Isn't reliable? Honestly, how many really bad games did he have last year? The only stand-out I can think of is when we played the Kangaroos.

Doesn't have a football brain? He's great at reading the play and knows when to run off his opponent, as shown by his performance against Collingwood.

B-Grade Fullback? Darren Glass got towelled up by Justin Westhoff last year, I can only assume you regard him as B-Grade as well then, despite being a premiership and AA full-back?

He won the Sutton because he had a fantastic year.

Try again Jerry.

I wonder if some of you people really watch the game.

Dogs 24/7
27-02-2008, 08:28 PM

Comprehensive response there as always Jerry, you have us all on the ropes :)

Dogs 24/7
27-02-2008, 08:35 PM
Lake is way better than a role player, BTW, I'd go as far as saying he's one of the top 3-4 tall defenders in the game.

Lake is certainly far better than just a role player but I don't think I could place him in the top 3 or 4 defenders in the AFL at the moment.

Pleny of teams would love to have big Bryza though. The Hawks, Saints, Swans, Blues and Tigers (just to name a few) would give up a fair bit for him.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
27-02-2008, 08:42 PM

Jerry, It is obvious you have your staunch opinions on many things Bulldog. It would probably go down better here if you articulated your views instead of proffering glib and undebatable responses. Otherwise it would appear you are typing for the benefit of reading your own word/views , and not seeking to engage in conversation.
If this is your thing, perhaps BF would be a more appropriate place for you to post such stuff.
Noone minds that you have a contrary position on any issue you choose, but it would be helpful in such a forum if you could at least back it up with some stats or some facts to support your viewpoint. I'm sure you are quite knowledgeable and haven't formed your views on a whim. Let's hear your considered viewpoint, and not just your overall conclusion.

Sockeye Salmon
27-02-2008, 09:26 PM

I wonder if some of you people don't really barack for the Bulldogs.

hujsh
27-02-2008, 09:36 PM

Oh yeah that's his problem:rolleyes:

Where do you develop these theories? Do you wear the umpires contact lenses?

Harris is the only player bar maybe Williams i ever feel confident will beat a gorilla.

The Coon Dog
27-02-2008, 11:29 PM
Jerry, It is obvious you have your staunch opinions on many things Bulldog. It would probably go down better here if you articulated your views instead of proffering glib and undebatable responses. Otherwise it would appear you are typing for the benefit of reading your own word/views , and not seeking to engage in conversation.
If this is your thing, perhaps BF would be a more appropriate place for you to post such stuff.
Noone minds that you have a contrary position on any issue you choose, but it would be helpful in such a forum if you could at least back it up with some stats or some facts to support your viewpoint. I'm sure you are quite knowledgeable and haven't formed your views on a whim. Let's hear your considered viewpoint, and not just your overall conclusion.

Really well put YHF!

I wish I could get my point across half as well this.

bornadog
28-02-2008, 11:48 PM
The Age
Lake on track for round one after surgery
February 26, 2008 - 4:59PM

The Western Bulldogs expect full-back Brian Lake to be available for the opening round of the AFL premiership season following surgery on a nagging hip problem.

Lake - who changed his name from Harris in December - aggravated the hip complaint in the Dogs' 54-point NAB Cup loss to Essendon on Friday night.

The 2007 best-and-fairest winner underwent minor surgery this morning to remove a small amount of cartilage from his right hip.

The club said the surgery was a success, with Lake sent home from hospital at lunchtime today.

He was expected to train late this week and the club was hopeful he would be fit to play against Adelaide in round one on March 23.

AAP

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/lake-on-track-for-round-one-after-surgery/2008/02/26/1203788335652.html